Speaker 1: The FED minutes showing a few officials saw a case for hiking interest rates at their June meeting, pointing to inflation concerns, the minutes saying quote, many participants noted that ongoing strong demand for AI infrastructure would likely sustain upward pressure on prices for technology products and electricity. Let's get more with Michael McKee, Bloomberg's International Economics and Policy correspondents. Don't apult just one piece of the minutes out, Michael, and make it all about that. Essentially, as Michael Feroli said, these were pretty milk toast minutes, right. It could be up next, or it could be down next in terms.
Speaker 2: Of rates exactly, not really down, but on hold for quite some time. The minutes kind of are like groundhog Day because it was June seventeenth that the President signed the Memory Understanding with Iran, and so the FED was confronted with the fact that maybe the war would end in inflation would go down, and if that were the case, they looked at a scenario where they might stay on hold, but if inflation continued to rise and the jobless rates stayed down, they might raise rates. And they added, as you pointed out, AI as an inflation worry to tariffs and war, so the balance of risks tilted toward prices. There's also a bit of a worsh effect in it all, and that the minutes were about a thousand words shorter, maybe fifteen to seventeen percent shorter. Participants views were notably more concise according to our chat GPT analysis of the minutes and policies discussions and the staff reviews of the economy and markets were also condensed, So you didn't get a real firm view from the minutes or from the truncated minutes on what the Fed is going to do. But that's because the Fed didn't know. And now we're back at war and oil prices are going up, gasoline prices will probably follow, and we don't know what is going to happen, so stay tuned. We do have next Tuesday CPI in the morning and then that warsh is testifying to the House Financial Services Committee, so that'll be a big day to try to make more progress for the markets on what they think is going to happen.
Speaker 3: Well, see if we get any of that, we'll certainly get again his testimony, but if he gives us any hints Michael, thank you so much for joining us. Bloomberg's Michael McKee and let's continue the conversation with Dan Sezuki, global investment strategists at I Capital. Dan, great to see you, and I know on your outlook you and the team you think cuts are more likely than hikes, But your base case is essentially no move. That's not necessarily what the market is pricing. It's pricing in that hikes are more likely. So what are we missing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I don't think you're missing anything, Dan, but I do think that the market's missing something. I mean, I think the market is basically living in like the world of two months ago, as was the Fed minutes, which is like living in a different world if you think about, you know, the Fed minutes that basically came out that meeting happened hours before the MoU As signed, so the war was still effectively going on. Gasoline prices were above four dollars, and job growth was running about one hundred and seven eight thousand jobs per month. If you fast forward today, you know, yes, there's fits and starts, but I think more likely, you know, the piece deal will hold. You'll continue to see more passage go through the straight u horm moves, gasoline prices have come down, and job growth is closer to fifty thousand.
Speaker 1: So it's just a.
Speaker 4: Different world that we're living. And if you take this world that we live in today and you look at what the Minutes said about what the scenarios that they're talking about, I think you're more likely to see, you know, cuts than your hikes because they said if inflation comes down because their ran pressure goes away, and then and you start to see inflation come toward the two percent target, then you're more likely to see a scenario where you're on hold or you're more or going to cut. And that's kind of what we laid out in the report.
Speaker 1: So when does the market see this done? Because right now we've yields going higher. I mean right now the thirty yer yield is still at five oh seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the markets will come around to this when inflation comes around. The problem for the markets is inflation's lagging indicate. So if you focus on if you focus on the past, and gasoline prices are coming down, albeit sort of the move on the news overnight, you know, gasoline prices will probably be trending lower overall energy prices will be trending lower. They noted in the Minutes actually that housing pressures will continue to be a drag on inflation. So if you get that dynamic playing out through markets, if you look at some sort of real time metrics of inflation, they're telling you that there's probably more downside to where those numbers are going to go.
Speaker 3: One of the interesting things though about those thirty year yields being elevated, is it's not just inflation, because real yields are also with the highest since two thousand and eight. What do you think is driving that? And why do you think risk assets haven't reacted more to this because this is usually something that could be troubling for stock markets, for example, and they continue to trade within one percent of all time high.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think, you know what, there's the structural case for inflation and rates, and then there's sort of what's happening, you know, relative geopolitics in the cycle. I think structurally we're in a higher for longer inflation environment and a struct higher for longer interest rate environment, which is why you're sort of seeing that in the tenure. I mean, we got we have fiscal issues to take care. We're in a deglobalized, deglobalizing world. All that puts upward pressure on the longer term inflation and interest rates story, which is why I think, you know, the long end is going to be a bit more sticky. But that means you're probably see some yeal curve steepening through the end.
Speaker 2: Of the year.
Speaker 3: Why don't risk asss care though?
Speaker 4: I think risk asst story moved on this. I mean, this is one of the points that we highlight in the midyear is that you know, the markets have moved on from hormones, right, it almost like doesn't matter, And we actually said it was actually a mispriced risk, underpriced risk. Like so base case is that Iran is over from effectively over from a market perspective, but the markets had one hundred percent priced it out and that was a little bit extreme in our view.
Speaker 1: So, being the global investment strategist, where are you looking to next? I mean, Korea has had a way of time literally and you know before that it was pretty much Japan.
Speaker 3: Where might be.
Speaker 2: The next hot market?
Speaker 4: I think it depends on sort of what you're trying to get at when you look internationally, because your Korea Taiwan. They've been phenomenal performers, but you know, they're concentrated Semi plays right, obviously tied into the ai story. So you're not really getting a ton of diversification, even though geographically you are. And so one of the areas we look at sort of risk reward, I think Japan is actually one of the more interesting areas because fundamentally you're actually seeing good earnings momentum. You look at some of their economic indicators, they're improving. You know, it's not too expensive, and you get a lot of high quality companies. So I think that's probably one of the better risk reward areas right now.
Speaker 3: While here in the US, I mean, it's been some remarkable chopped in Like one day we love Semi the next day we hate them. It's a back and forth between them and the hyper scalers, from the check writers to the check receivers. What is this a rotation taking place? Is this a fight for leadership?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean, obviously you know you're dealing with two dynamics. Is the pendulum is swinging, you know, is swung really far in the direction of sort of the check receivers. I think you said, right, and I think maybe you know, what we talked about in our earlier reporter is sort of the idea that cap vigilantes, the market's going to say, you're spending too much. We don't see line of sights actually that turning into business results. And so I think the market, the hyperscalars so stomics that have listened and they're monetizing that capex, and so now you start to see that pandulum short of shift the other way. Ultimately, I think there's that dynamic along with the competitive dynamic. That's why you're seeing all this moving around. I think I think it is sort of a nice case. I think to see I think you will start to see that pandum continue to swing in favor of the hyperscalers to some extent, but there is ongoing competition coming in and you're seeing, you know, so the pricing pressure on the on the model story. I mean, every day we're getting a new story about how they're having to cut prices or offer more for less.
Speaker 1: That's not a great sign Kapex vigilantis. One day we'll be saying, down Suzuki, who invented the terms, thank you for joining That is down Suzuki of I capital