Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal. Come that for me. I'm a man, I'm for I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for day? Edith State?
Speaker 2: Is that? Woo woom? And Dan and Tye, welcome back to the solid verbal boys and girls. My name is ty Hildebrand, joining me as always my good friend Dan Rubinstein in New York City. Sir, how are you just clocking in? Clocking out? Ty Yeah, Bud Foster lunch, paiale my hard hat. I'm ready to go, just living the dream on super Bowl Week?
Speaker 1: No less, it is super Bowl week? Do we have super Bowl content planned? I don't think we do. Ah, we sort of do.
Speaker 2: We asked for food questions about super bowl S to find super Bowl content.
Speaker 1: Who is your here? You ready? Yeahy? This is this is blue chip, top level, solid verbal super Bowl content. Yeah. Who is your favorite college football player playing in the Super Bowl? So? Who on the Patriots or Eagles did you most enjoy playing college football? Oh? Man, my answer is Lagarrett Blunt. Lagarrett Blunt. My answer is one thousand. I liked all the organ ducs. I think Kenyon Barner and Patrick Chung. I may be missing somebody. But my definitive answer is Lagarrett Blunt. I can think of some a non organ person if you can think of something.
Speaker 2: Al Sean Jeffrey was pretty damn cool.
Speaker 1: It's Carol. That's a good answer. I like that answer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, al Sean's probably my answer.
Speaker 1: You know who I liked watching play a lot in college who had sort of a bum rap I think injury wise, Dean Lewis. Yeah, okay, it was real fun for pay Yeah, it's decent.
Speaker 2: Well, we hope everyone out there enjoys watching the Super Bowl. It's obviously a big deal here in eastern Pennsylvania given the matchup and the Eagles being there. Oh Foles, I was going to go there with Nick falls hopefully not in a loose effort. Dan, Yeah, if you're an Eagles fan. But do you have a final score prediction?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Sure, I don't know. Twenty four fourteen Patriots. I'm gonna pick the Eagles. Yeah, Nick Foles, Nick for Bill Belichick? What the hell?
Speaker 2: Why not? Thirty one to twenty six. I'm predicting a missed two point conversion at the end for the Patriots. Thirty one twenty six is my prediction.
Speaker 1: I could not know any less about the NFL in twenty seventeen twenty eighteen, in terms of making a prediction that's rooted in any sort of knowledge, I started watching the season basically during the playoffs, so.
Speaker 2: I just hope for fun football I watched during the regular season. And this is due in large part to the fact that you and I overdose on college football. Yeah, on Saturdays, then we record on Sundays. I'm editing most of the day on an NFL Sunday, and so by the time i'm with that around three o'clock, I don't feel like watching any more football. I probably watched a combined forty five minutes of the NFL regular season this year. I'm with you, I was very uninformed come playoff time.
Speaker 1: I will also add in terms of players that I enjoyed or have a strong reaction to what they did in college. I remember, I want to say, two thousand and eight, maybe when Arizona played Oregon and Gronk was completely unstoppable and like they you could see Oregon going through like what about an outside linebacker on Gronk? What about Patrick Chung a safety on Gonk? What about a corner? And he just started dragging three people at a time. I was like, all right, this guy's gonna be pretty good. This guy's pretty good. He's very good.
Speaker 2: We hope everyone out there, if you're going to a Super Bowl party, if you're I don't know, watching the game, if you're being festive on Super Bowl Sunday, enjoy the game, be safe. Let us know if anything fun happens at your party.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, yeah, we're interested. So what do we have today? What are we doing on it is? We're recording this Tuesday, January thirtieth, That is corrow. If Nick Saban retires Wednesday, whoops.
Speaker 2: This show will go live on the last day of January the thirty first. And so we thought, just as like a monthly close out, right, h congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail, You've got mail.
Speaker 1: On the solid verbal.
Speaker 2: We're going to play our old sound to pay homage to those people who right into the show and ask us football and non football and food and whatever else related questions. That sound that I just played, along with our intro and a handful of other audio drops that we play from time to time here on the show is an original that was one of the very first that we developed on our old version of garage band back in two thousand and eight when we were first starting out. So that's been with us the entire journey here on the Solid Verbal and look, there are numerous different ways that people can write in now, either at solid Verbal at gmail dot com, or through Facebook or Twitter or Instagram. You even asked for some questions out on Reddit.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So we're really pulling in the full audio, full podcasting, full social media universe here and trying to get questions from the verballerhood.
Speaker 1: Do we have a po box? We actually do have a po box. I do want to try doing an actual mailbag episode. We don't do that.
Speaker 2: Don't do that to me. I'm the one that's got to collect all those Well, listen, well ask for letters.
Speaker 1: You can give out the address whenever tie. It doesn't have to be tonight, doesn't have to be. Don't do that. But I want to do a show tye where we can like flap the physical letter that we get. How many could we possibly get.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be like Merrik on thirty four Street with the postal workers bringing in the sack.
Speaker 1: I want to do an actual mailbag episode. Let's call it maybe July. So at least you're not going out in the cold. You'll be wearing shorts and flip flops. If I give if I give you.
Speaker 2: This, you have to give me an all Notre Dame show.
Speaker 1: All right, I withdraw my request, I officially, I withdraw my I apologize that was uncalled for, it was short sighted, and it'll never happen again.
Speaker 2: See I know how to play it.
Speaker 1: No, you will get it. You will get a all Notre Dame show. Well, you've done all Notre Dame shows before. But if you're in crisis mode like I was with Willy Taggert leaving Oregon.
Speaker 2: Okay, well then I don't agree to your terms.
Speaker 1: Okay, we can do something centered around Notre Dame. Kind we can.
Speaker 2: We can continue this negotiation. We've got time.
Speaker 1: How about May twenty third at three am and it's lively. Do you want to get to some questions. Let's get to some questions here. We had a bunch come in.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Daniel, you collected them while I was at the Mysterious day job, and a bunch of good ones here. I'm excited. Let's record, let's talk.
Speaker 1: Let's go to CJ. Somebody just walked by the voiceover both Our pal Liz walked by. CJ wants to know thoughts on Jimbo and how he will do at A and M. Who also this is a two parter. I'm willing to bet you won't be able to list a better side to chili than cornbread. Best of luck. Okay, I have an answer for that is too. Let's start. We actually haven't talked about Jimbo Fisher type beyond like the salary thing and the Mike Elco thing. We really haven't looked at big picture our thoughts on Jimbo in college station, and I think.
Speaker 2: It's mostly due to when he accepted the position at A and M. Relative to other stuff that you and I had to talk about. We just haven't really had an opportunity to delve in. Have you had a chance to look at A and m's road schedule in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: It's weird. I think they have three straight road games with a bye week sort of lumped in the middle somewhere. It is not a great road schedule for Texas, A and M, Mississippi State, Auburn, and South Carolina. I want to say, just schedule wise, in consecutive weeks, not calendar wise, right.
Speaker 2: That's right, October thirteenth at South Carolina, October twenty seventh, after an open date at Mississippi State, and then November three on the road at Auburn. Now, I don't think any of those games are going to be particularly easy, especially not for what I would say is a younger team now starting over with a new system under Jimbo Fisher. Yeah, that's not even the worst part of the schedule. Yeah, in two out of three weeks they have who exactly September. The eighth week two, they're home against Clemson. I don't know if that's a neutral psych game. That might be a neutral psych game.
Speaker 1: No, it's home, it's Kyle Field.
Speaker 2: Then two weeks later on the road at Bama.
Speaker 1: Yes, the last two the previous two national champions in three weeks.
Speaker 2: And both will be loaded for Bear as they always are. I don't think there's any chance in the world that A and M escapes the month of September without a minimum of two losses.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, I mean Jimbo is a very good coach, and he has some experience on both sides of the ball. Some promising young talent loses his what his biggest playmaker, perhaps on both sides of the ball are Monti Watts on defense, Christian Kirk and all Timer on offense. Certainly, it's a new staff for him, a lot of pieces, you know. Damian Craig comes over from lsu Ace recruiter, Tim Brewster who's been with him for a while. Darryl Dickey the offensive coordinator though I don't believe he called plays at Memphis, but has a lot of experience in the state of Texas. And Mike Elco, who has we're.
Speaker 2: Not talking about Mike Elcho. Lala la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la.
Speaker 1: La, and I will only keep it text saying his reputation is such that he runs organized defenses and he fixes problems, and that has been an issue the past couple of years with John Chavis inconsistency. And they do see John Chavis, I think early on, right after the Alabama game with.
Speaker 2: That against Arkansas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, so he'll at least be familiar with the offensive personnel. But yeah, it's a quarterback battle and the big thing is and we didn't see this early on in Kevin Someone's tenure because Mike Sherman recruited so many ridiculous offensive linemen, that line has been leaky and a problem. So what can Jimbo Fisher and his staff do with the offensive line? How does that wed to an offensive system that looked pretty stale last year given a backup quarterback at Florida State, And how does the staff all come together with a, to say the very least, pretty trying schedule, right.
Speaker 2: Really trying schedule. I'm right now looking at this, looking at what they have coming back. I think eight and four would be miraculous. I think seven and five is more likely. I think six and six could be a possibility. Jimbo's a really good coach. He's an excellent coach.
Speaker 1: He's one of what five coaches who's won a national championship, three, four or five somewhere in that that are still active in college football Power five level whatever. So I think certainly Jimbo gives them an edge right now that Kevin someone certainly didn't where perhaps they will win a game they should lose, and I don't think they will lose games they should win as often with Jimbo, but in year one, with quarterback questions, offensive line questions. They've recruited well obviously, and so I think there's a good amount of talent in college station. But long term, I feel very good. I think they're going to have consistent top eight to twelve recruiting classes. Yeah. Just being in Texas, you know, being able to recruit to the SEC, I think is still a thing. As certainly as long as Texas is not a thing winning double digit games.
Speaker 2: I feel fine about them long term. That's that's not my problem. My problem. My question, I guess is twenty eighteen. And in twenty eighteen, I'm telling you eight and four miraculous, seven and five more likely, six and six of possibility. It's on the table.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I mean they we have what an ole miss team going through lots of changes. We may have a good quarterback in Jordan Tamu Tamu whatever. They have an LSU team offensively, a lot of question marks at the onset of what February. But yeah, there's you know, we have a Mississippi State team that might have a Heisman type caliber quarterback and Nick Fitzgerald, if you.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just too many landlines. We got to go through the full schedule here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but listen, we're both high, just not necessarily. On twenty eighteen, and on his second point, arguably more important point, is there something better to serve with chili than cornbread? Because I tie controversy. Okay, corn bread's fine. I don't go out of my way for cornbread. Do you like something like that, like a sweeter type side to not necessarily would what would you if you were making a big cauldron of chili for the Super Bowl or for whatever?
Speaker 2: What's your side I might get? I don't know if it's so much a side, Dan, I'm sure you'll make fun of me for this or on a tramole whatever that was? What was that word? Okay, something to serve with it?
Speaker 1: Great?
Speaker 2: I would say, if you can find some of those homemade tortilla chips, sure, just as maybe something that you can dip in. Even if you got to go like old school toastedos scoops, that's fine. But if you can get more of the homemade variety, I know my beloved Wegmans has now started making them. If you could find a good Mexican restaurant. All of the Mexican restaurants generally make their own tortilla chips. See, I ride with Freedo's tie. Okay, I'm gonna make some Freedo pie. So on the same lines, Yes, I want.
Speaker 1: That salty crunch with not chili and melt some cheese or something like that. Love a Freedo pie? Okay. Next question, abbot, longtime reball or big time Michigan fan. Yeah, and we compare this with somebody also asked, is this a make or break here for Jim Harvey. I don't believe so, but you know what, there is some subtlety of that question. I think we can get into Michigan goes to Notre Dame, two East Lansing to Columbus and home against Wisconsin and Penn State. Any possible way they can improve on an eight and fourth season on a crucial year for Jim Harbaugh. I think so. I absolutely think so. I think so.
Speaker 2: If you look at Michigan, they bring back a lot the shape Patterson thing I think has the potential to make Michigan a lot better in a hurry. If eligible, Yeah, If eligible, sure, I'm not sure which way Notre Dame is headed. To be perfectly honest, Okay, you could make a case that you're not sure which way things are headed for Michigan State. Two Columbus is always a struggle home against Wisconsin. I think has better prosper this year then it did last season when they had to go on the road to Wisconsin, just because the Shape Patterson thing could bring with I think a little bit more offense and uh Penn State. Penn State lost a lot as well. So yeah, my short answer, if there is such a thing is that they can absolutely improve on eight and.
Speaker 1: Four Michigan if everything's clicking correctly. And I don't know if you saw there's like a Wilton Spate thing with If Shape Patterson is ineligible, maybe he'll come back now to ann Arbor. He's open to it. So and you know, at his best, Wilton Spate is pretty good. And if Michigan's defense is what it has been the last couple of years, that's fine. Pretty good at quarterback is fine with a defense that has a capability to play on that high level. They have perhaps one of the best three inside defensive line duos, and Aubrey Solomon and Rashaun Gary. Devin Bush had a nice freshman year. They relied on youth in the secondary and for the most part held up really well. They're recruiting well again, They'll get healthier at offensive skill positions, and there's no way the offensive line can be as woeful as it was against the better teams on their schedule last year. So I think Michigan will be improved. I mean, there's now the sort of NCAA rule discussion about, Okay, maybe we only let players transfer without sitting out if their coach leaves or is fired, which would that would be a Shape Patterson thing, right, you freeze being let go. Whatever. So I think Michigan's in pretty good shape, especially the teams he mentioned. You mentioned uncertainty about Notre Dame, especially since that's Week one, so Notre Dame and or Michigan could transform into something in the middle of the year. But they go to East Lancing, which was a winnable game, and it has been a winnable game for them. They just haven't gotten over that hump recently. They go to Columbus, which will be pretty much impossible. I have a lot of high expectations for Dwayne Haskins probably who is going to be starting quarterback, maybe Tamar tell whatever home against Wisconsin. Could they win that game thirteen ten. Sure, of course they could. Penn State loses what three of their top four pass catchers, their offensive coordinator, a good chunk of that excellent defense, and perhaps the best all around all purposed offensive skill player they've ever had. Yep. So it's not a bad year to be improving and returning a ton of talent for Michigan. But in terms of make or break tie, because we have the end of that question with crucial year and then I think it's Jason who said make or break here, Jason Horvath, longtime for baller, what does that question mean to you?
Speaker 2: To me, it means something different than I think was intended by the question asker.
Speaker 1: Okay, what does it mean?
Speaker 2: I think you need to look at Jim harbausch track record of burning himself out at places, and I wonder if, even if he does improve on eight and four, say he gets to nine and three, if there are people within the Michigan community who don't view that as good enough and taken in concert with Jim Harbaugh's normal m O, which is burning himself out after a couple of years, if that weird cocktail isn't enough to see him off to another coaching locale.
Speaker 1: Is it burning himself out or burning others out on the Jim Harbaugh experience allegedly probably a little of both. And I think player wise, I think people like him. I think the players, you know, obviously he's recruiting. This is not a matter of players not having a choice and being drafted by the forty nine ers or whoever they're coming to Michigan. They like what they're being sold to me. The question is when Jason asked make or break here, is it a make or break here for phase one of the Michigan and Jim Harbaugh era, Like is there going to be a retool of like, all right, this is what we are now going to focus on an offense because I've lost a couple of assistants, or we just stop seeing eye to eye, or this is how we're going to work defense because you know what, maybe you know I'm just making this up. You know, a linebackers coach or Don Brown or whoever says, yeah, I think I just need to change of scenery. So that I think is the make or break of phase one. I think Michigan is going to be very good this year. I have a lot of faith in them. I'm just worried about those sort of close games that require you to have a quarterback that's you know, you're two forty one left and you're down five. What does that offense look like, you know, when they really have to move the ball through the air. Whatever, I'm with you. And yeah, if it's Shaye Patterson, I have more confidence than if it were Brandon Peters or Dyl McCaffrey or John o'corn, who I assure you will not be playing this year now. But those are my thoughts. And yeah, the schedule's tough, but not impossible to me.
Speaker 2: Right, Let's go one more question here before we got to pay some bills and we got to move quicker, because God, we got so many questions here, Dan.
Speaker 1: That's true, Let's go to Luke.
Speaker 2: I love this question, by the way, this is a great question. What coaches in the SEC are likely to still be around when Nick Saban retires. I like this question because it requires an extra level of comprehension to try and figure out to forecast when we think Nick Saban's going to retire. Nick Saban, take a guess how old Nick Saban is. If you haven't looked this.
Speaker 1: Up nineteen years old? Hy, I have no idea. Is he what's sixty six years old?
Speaker 2: He is exactly sixty six years old?
Speaker 1: Is that's true?
Speaker 2: He will turn sixty seven on Halloween Robins Dan this coming year. So not a spring chicken in the coaching world, in the greater employment world. How many years do you think, realistically we get out of Nick Saban?
Speaker 1: Oh man, what a great generic. And I don't you for this, it's just the off season question. Every year. Let's put a date. Let's put a date on it of he retires or for whatever reason, leaves after the twenty twenty twenty season, twenty ten around when he's like seventy years old. Seventy years old?
Speaker 2: Okay, so let's just say three full season for the purposes of argument, three full seasons.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I'm going to pull up the SEC coaching list here and we're going to figure this out. We're going to set an over under in the same manner that we set an over under by the way, for Link Kiffin and how many coaching jobs, how many head coaching jobs he would have? Yeah, in his full career, it's still an ongoing little over under.
Speaker 1: But okay, here we go.
Speaker 2: Let's start in the SEC East. I think it's likely that Kirby Smart's still going to be there, So that's one.
Speaker 1: Dang.
Speaker 2: Will mush Champ at South Carolina I will put decidedly in the maybe category.
Speaker 1: No, you got no no fence sitting here, Ty, I'll say no. We're counting digits, integers.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say no. Okay, so we have one Kentucky. I'm also inclined to say no. Missouri and Barry Odom.
Speaker 1: I have no idea. No fence sitting.
Speaker 2: Why this is a two person operation. You can answer too. I know I'm saying no. All right, let's say no. So so far we have Kirby Smart, Uh, Florida, I'm gonna say yes, it'll be there too. Vanderbilt I say no, Nope. And Tennessee I say yes with Jeremy Pruett. Sure he just got there. He better be there in three years.
Speaker 1: Three three to three.
Speaker 2: Auburn and Gus Malsan, I'm gonna say no. I think he goes else at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, Alabama, Nick Saban, I guess they're out. Given this question. Coach or Geron at LSU, I say no, I say no, Joe moorehead at Mississippi State is very interesting.
Speaker 1: But I say yes, that said, could Joe moorehead be a Willie Taggart type situation potentially where he finally has this opportunity to coach at a major place Power five conference and then something unexpected and huge opens up that perhaps given where he's from and what he grew I don't know who he grew up rooting for, but like it would not be completely unheard of that Notre Dame opened up now right, No, no, and if he had, if he had a really good eight and four year from Mississippi State.
Speaker 2: Sure, So we're up to four mm HM, Texas A and M I think is a given because they signed Jimbo through the year three thousand. Yep, all miss I say.
Speaker 1: No, nope.
Speaker 2: And Arkansas I Chad Morris.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say no, not because I don't have faith in Chad Moore. But he gets poached. Yeah, I could see that happening, all right.
Speaker 2: So if we set that over under at five and a half, I think that's a good line, the same as our Lane Kiffen career head coaching.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I take the under stints line, not because I don't want any of these coaches to succeed and improve and be fun and great TV for years to come. But we're talking about the SEC. That's a great question, thank you, Luis.
Speaker 2: Five and a half is the over under coaches that will still be around when Nick Saban retires by our forecast in the year twenty twenty or after three full seasons?
Speaker 1: Good one.
Speaker 2: All right, Daniel. We've talked about these guys before, but not for a while. MVMT. Oh yeah, all right. Now, I know you where your movement watch on as we speak on your wrist frequently. I know you get compliments about your watch. But a lot's happened since we last heard from our friends over at MVMT. The company's grown. Over two million watches have now been sold in one hundred and sixty plus countries. They continue to revolutionize fashion in the belief that style shouldn't break the bank. They've doubled their number of watches. They're now selling high quality sunglasses, women's bracelets.
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, it's a way of life.
Speaker 2: Our friends over at MVMT they've put together the perfect interactive guide to make Valentine's Day shopping as painless as possible. So whether you're going to shop for him or for her, find everything from watches to fashion forward bracelets and sunglasses in mvmt's limited edition gift box. It's all curated by their in house stylist, their trendious pieces. Give it all to that someone special because they'll love it. Right now, you can get fifteen percent off with free shipping and free returns if you go to mvmt dot com slash solid. Go to mvmt dot com slash solid Dan, join the movement, join the movie. You know what, ty there is nothing on my person shoes, pants, shirts, glasses, whatever that I receive more comments and compliments, and yeah, I need one of those. Do you like yours about my MVMT watch. That's one hundred percent truth.
Speaker 1: Since we did our first campaign, they were kind enough to send us watches. You know, I'm into analog wearables, Tye. I am one hundred percent into analog wearables. I know you like the government tracking you on your wrist, but not I And this thing, this watch, it's a brown leather watch. And what I like about it too is on the website it tells you how big the face is. Yeah, you know, I like that circumference talk, sure, sure, sure, and you get it. You get it in bunches on the MVMT. Is it circumference, is it diameter? What am I looking for here? But whatever it is, the geometry is right. Because some people don't like that oversized watch. Some people have dainty risks. Some people have big, thick risks, and they want to know how big they're watches if they're ordering it online. Now that I see, if they have sunglasses, and I'm going to say it, Tie is a pretty good price point for quality looking sunglasses. It's not bad. I'm looking at it too. I'm I'm a huge fan, all right. Well this is also also true, and this is just it speaks to the quality of MVMT tie. This is one from the heart. At my bachelor party in New Orleans, Louisiana, I was taken to an adult establishment. Huh and these are not light Tie, These are not you know, the light the house lights are not on in these places. Sure, two different employees commented on my watch in the dark. It just stood out. And these employees are of the highest taste. So it was a great experience. And shout out to MVMT for making dreams come true.
Speaker 2: Are we certain it was because they liked the watch and they weren't just trying to maybe get US American currency.
Speaker 1: You know, Ty, when I'm thinking about MVMT, my heart's always in the right place, So I couldn't speak to that.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, fair enough, Let's go to Irwin. Yeah, which quarterbacks will be the early front runners for the Heisman? And he throws out a few names here, Khalil tate to a TAGAVLOA good Ty, you are nailing it, Jake from Jared Stidham. Trace McSorley will grear. I will say this, and I don't have it in front of me, so forgive me for not putting in the requisite amount of research here. I did look at some early heisman lines, and I remember looking at it and thinking that the line for Trace mcsoorly looked astonishingly low. Now, Hi's bets are preposterous, especially at this early stage in the game, but Trace mcsorly will clearly be the centerpiece of that Penn State offense. You could make a case that even though Saquon Barkley got most of the love this year, Trace mcsorly was still the engine that made that offense go and it was pretty.
Speaker 1: Good, perhaps more consistent. Yeah, absolutely so.
Speaker 2: I think Trace mcsrely if I were a betting man, and I am, if he were out there at that price point whatever it was, maybe like twenty or twenty five to one, something ridiculous. Trace mcsorely, of all those names, I think would be the best bet, just because I know everything runs through him. I don't have a ton of faith in Khalil Tate, even though I'm all about Khalil Tate, but new system and maybe not consistent enough at this point. Tua's got so many other players on his team. I think it's tough. Jake FROMM I don't know if the stats will be there for him to be a Heisman caliber quarterback. You can make a case for Stidham, You can make a case for Greer, although I don't know if the wins will be there in the manner that they need to be to be a true Heisman contender. So, of all those names, McSorley is my guy.
Speaker 1: When I try and this is nobody knows what they're talking about, but this is my particular brand of not knowing what I'm talking about. When I look at these names, as well as any other big returning quarterback names, of which there are not many. There really aren't. I mean, Justin Herbert would be a name I would add to this. Just yeah, yeah, he did went healthy. Whatever I want to see, you know, perhaps an offensive line that returns a good amount, not every doesn't have to be everything. Good amount consistency and lack of attrition among offensive coaches. I think it's fair just the comfort level, you know, just like Baker Mayfield. Having Lincoln Riley around another year, even with Bob Stoop stepping down, I thought was enormous, you know, because Oklahoma lost so much in the way of skill talent, But the Lincoln Riley consistency I thought was a big deal. Schedule certainly can improve things, which is I think why Khalil Tate to me coaching gone. But probably now that we're hearing different things, perhaps for the best Kevin someone inheriting a talented quarterback and experience, we've seen it happen.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's not a one to one comparison of Khalil Tate to Johnny Manziel, but returns what Chun Brown, Tony Allison. The schedule Arizona misses I believe both Washington and Stanford cross division conference, which is pretty ideal. I don't think they have any real tough road games. So Khalil Tate is in good shape, has good running backs. Tua is sort of an unknown because we've seen him play a half of important football.
Speaker 2: He was seven to one if I remember correctly, right on the odds that I saw.
Speaker 1: He'll have the stage. Yeah, Calvin Ridley gone, Brian Dable mentioned gone, but he'll have, you know, all the weapons in the world. His line should be good from will be very interesting to me. I think that is more interesting.
Speaker 2: Perhaps I don't think you'll have the stats he wanted the stats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he won't, but he'll be counted on more. Without Sony Michelle and Nick Chubb. He will have to do with DeAndre Swift. Yeah. No, I think they will be fine. But the fact that and part of the line is pretty young and succeeded last year. The concern for me is Trace McSorley, the Joe moorehead factor, losing what Dayshawn Hamilton, Mike Kasicki, Sakwon Barkley, Jawan Johnson's back and is a huge weapon. They have a I think a red shirt freshman who should be was kJ Hamlery you want to talk about kJ Hamler I think Will Greer is actually just in terms of what we've seen from Dana Holgerson quarterback with experience in the system and the ability to identify really good receivers year over year. David Sill's coming back as a huge red zone target, I think that is probably of that list my my pick.
Speaker 2: All Rightoh okay, next, a real quick one here from Adrian, who says where will Alex Hornybrook rank among Big ten quarterbacks in twenty eighteen? How horny are you for Alex Hornybrook? Dan?
Speaker 1: In which half? In the second half? I am hot and bothered? Tye, Yeah, I am sweating pants a gett a little tight. I'm ready to be energized for Alex Hornybrook in the second half.
Speaker 2: Well, number one is obviously Elijah Sindelar.
Speaker 1: I mean, second year in a Jeff bram offense tie that could prove to me pretty good. I'm just tye.
Speaker 2: I'm not putting him over Hornybrook. Come on, okay, but I think I put Trace McSorley over Hornybrook. Do you put a little workie over Alex Hornybrook. I probably don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I do yet, but I think they are both. They both should be very good this fall.
Speaker 2: I'm not putting Clayton Thorson, who is coming back for his eighteenth year, over Alex Hornybrook.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just turning in his dissertation. He'll get his pH d. And he's ready to go Ohio State. We put Haskins above him, So Haskins is interesting. Haskins has we haven't seen him well, we saw him a little bit, a little bit in yeah, in relief in the Michigan game where he was If he looks like what he looked like in that very small sample, he will be one of the best three quarterbacks in the country.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh.
Speaker 1: He is the highest ceiling of anybody, I would say because of the offensive skill, talent, the offensive line, and you know, reshuffling of offense. Now I think Ryan Day is going to be calling plays. Maybe we'll see some more creativity with a pure passer like Dwayne Haskins. He is the highest ceiling I would go right now in terms of ceiling and what we've seen of these players. Trace McSorley is the best returning, the best option to me, best quarterback.
Speaker 2: Shaye Patterson probably is a higher ceiling in terms of shape pass sir, But uh yeah, I like what Penn State has more than what Michigan has right now. Now I'm not saying over Trace, I'm saying over Horny Pops.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Yeah, I would say Trace Haskins, Shay Horny, the worky. I might put Nate Stanley right there. I forgot it, and he's super he would I think it was. I don't know if he like threw down field a ton and he needs to be more accurate.
Speaker 2: I don't think he had an incredible interception ratio. He was, Yeah, he was.
Speaker 1: He was accurate, he protected the ball. Wow, I'd put him there. And this is all to say. By putting THEAWORKI fourth or fifth or whatever. Brian Lawurki's really good. Yeah, yeah, yeah. It's just a particularly good upper half I think right now of the Big ten in terms of quarterback and returning experience.
Speaker 2: Finally, here in our pure football section of the question worksheet, Andy wants to know what non conference matchup, aside from annual rivalry games, are you most excited for in twenty eighteen, So thankfully about a week ago, our friend Richard Johnson, over an espianation put together a list of not only non conference games in twenty eighteen, but pretty much through like the year twenty thirty.
Speaker 1: One best of the best.
Speaker 2: Richard Johnson went, he went all the way out there to try and give us a feel for what we should be looking forward to for many years to come. The one that jumps out to me other than Michigan at Notre Dame, which for obvious reasons I think is you know, one of my answers here, UCLA at Oklahoma to me is interesting, Yeah, because we've got a new system at UCLA with Chip or Chip Kelly. We've got Oklahoma without Baker Mayfield, still very well positioned for the future given all the talent that they've got there on their depth chart. But feels to me like a game where a lot of points.
Speaker 1: I think that's a really good pick to see what Oklahoma is going to look like early on, Kyler Murray, a lot of returning Rodnie Anderson's back, right, I believe, Yeah, Yeah, he's in the Heisman odds consideration, the top twenty thirty. Whatever.
Speaker 2: It is like even if u c LA doesn't win, that game. I think there will be enough of a pyrotechnic display on offense really on both sides, to make it a fun game to watch.
Speaker 1: Sure, I would add I think Auburn Washington, I believe in in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: It's in Atlanta, It's in Atlanta. Excuse me, Yeah, good game.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think Ole Miss, Texas Tech is in Houston. Auburn Washington me with Washington being the clear right now, I think alone class of the Pac twelve, with what they return on offense, they still need to find a big play receiver. They still are missing that. But Jake Browning as a senior Miles Gaskin back against what should once again be a pretty light out Auburn defense. With but they return, I think that's going to be pretty fun. It'll be a pretty partisan crowd being in Atlanta, like Chris Peterson, with you know, an entire offseason prepare and to figure things out Auburn against a creative offensive mind. Gotten A struggled in the bowl game. So I think that's I think we might be sleeping on FAU.
Speaker 2: Oklahoma early in the year. Week one, week one.
Speaker 1: Come on, I know. And also honestly, like I'm excited about Michigan, Notre Dame, Arizona, Houston. I think that game is at Houston. We have Big at Oliver, Big Khalil Tates. I think that could be fun. I just that's my low key answer. My high key answer is Auburn Washington.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go to another question here, Dan, you get to pick before we pay another bill.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we asked for what Super Bowl food questions? Yeah, that was part of it. Ratings. Andy Neuberg wants to know longtime reballer ratings on any Buffalo foods. So that is to say, buffalo sauce, some kind of mixture of hot sauce and butter and incorporating them into Super Bowl snacks as examples. It gives buffalo chicken dip, wings, pasta. Can you make buffalo pasta? I don't see why not you toss a pasta in some sauce. It sounds dreadful. I think if you had maybe a buffalo chicken pasta, so it's sort of like a buffalo chicken pasta salad. Maybe, oh god, maybe it's chilled. I don't know. It sounds fine to me.
Speaker 2: Buffalo chicken dip, I think is number one.
Speaker 1: I've had that, and I didn't have it growing up. I didn't know it existed, and I have in New York and it was very good.
Speaker 2: I think that's number one, followed followed very closely by buffalo chicken wings. And the reason I put the dip above the wings is because the wings tend to be messy, and that you.
Speaker 1: Gotta have a dip.
Speaker 2: You gotta have a dip at a Super Bowl party, and I think a really good buffalo chicken dip can be the talk of the party.
Speaker 1: I think that's right. I've only had maybe once or twice, and it was very good both times. There By the way, if you want to feel fake healthy and eat vegetables, buffalo cucumbers with a little bit if you there's like a crumbly cheese that you like, take healthy. I like blue tie. Toss some cukes in buffalo sauce with like a crumbly cheese, Hukes cues baby geez. Yeah. Buffalo collie also really good. But yeah, I would say the dip is probably the move. Any sort of buffalo dip for the Super Bowl is the move. And we have a follow up not from Andy, which is a good questions from Gary. He said, if you had a friend from a foreign country get in this headspace tie okay, and wanted to give them their first authentic American Super Bowl party experience where you're quintessential staple foods that have to be there. So I would argue, and I'm about to Yeah, I don't think there's quinn essential and whatever you do well, whatever is important to you, and yours are quintessential. But if you had this foreign friend, a Latvia and chum, coming to Allentown, PA, and he just happened to be there Sunday, what are you serving for Christaps.
Speaker 2: Kristavs you need I'm going to go back to the well here, but I think you need a really good dip.
Speaker 1: You need a dip.
Speaker 2: You need a really good dip in whether it's a buffalo what dip are you doing well? Non buffalo chicken addition? Yeah, see, I'm kind of boring. I tend to go in the direction of a really good taco dip. We've talked with on previous shows. But a really good taco dip not necessarily difficult to make. But is that like a multi layer dip? Is that what you're a multi layered dip? You got some sour cream on there. You got some cheese in there mixed with the sour cream. You got a good salsa that you layer down first, sprinkle some cheese on the top of it. A really good taco dip, I think is essential.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, five layer, seven layer dip. I think that's a good answer. I would I would throw guak into the equation. Yeah, yeah, sure, quawk nice and straightforward, although I'd give yourself the option if you're willing not to do chips with the guak, but to crisp up quesadillas and cut them into triangles, because pretty good vehicles for both quak and salsa at the same time, stands up to it a little bit better than a thinner chip. I'm trying to think what other you know. I would go with something like, what is more American than like a French onion dip type?
Speaker 2: Either that or I was going to say like some sort of pizza, and I.
Speaker 1: Realize how ridiculous that sounds for me to say, what's more American than a French onion? Yeah?
Speaker 2: But yeah, I have a hard time with this question because I feel like if you don't have an annual Super Bowl party, it might be difficult to answer. What the quintessential Super Bowl food is Just a lot of bar food, a lot of football game day food.
Speaker 1: Have a big old bowl of M and M's or Reese's pieces and gallons of Eminem's tie All right, real quick, Dan? Next, Indo Chino is the largest custom apparel company. Yeah, Indo Chino has been a friend of the verbal for a long time now. They make made to measure suits that are way better. They fit your frame.
Speaker 2: They cultivate your natural geometry in a way that a generic off the rack suit never could. They make suits and shirts to your exact measurements to give you the best possible fit. Guys out there have commented about the wide selection of high quality fabrics, the option to personalize all the details of your suit, the lapel, the jacket lining, the monogram you got, You got anything monogram?
Speaker 1: Dan, I don't have? I have? Uh, what's the I have cuff links that are monogramed, but not no piece of clothing or cloth.
Speaker 2: Yet. Here's the way it works, Dan, Pick your fabric, choose your customizations, submit your measurements, and place your order, and then you just wait for it to arrive in three weeks or less. You can shop online at Indochino dot com. That's idocchi n o dot com, or like our friend Peter who runs the subreddit and lives down in DC, I hope I'm not giving too much away. He sent us a picture personally visiting one of the showrooms, the Indo Chino showrooms. He's gonna look very dapper tie absolutely so again, go online or visit any of their showrooms across North America. This week, our listeners can get any premium Indo chinosuit for just three hundred and fifty nine bones three hundred and fifty nine domes at indochino dot com when you enter the code SOLID at checkout. That's over fifty percent off their regular price for a premium made to measure suit. Shipping is free again Indo Chino dot com, I ndochi no dot com. Your promo code is solid any premium suit for just three point fifty nine plus free shipping. An incredible deal for a perfectly tailored suit. Dan check him out.
Speaker 1: Come on. If you're gonna listen to the best college football podcast there is, and you're also gonna listen to us in addition to podcasts, Ain't played Nobody that's right. You should take some pride in your appearance, hold yourself to a high level. And you go to a wedding tie, you can immediately spot the people who are like, yeah, my wife, drag me to the department store. Oh it fits. Come on, hold yourself to a high standard.
Speaker 2: Indo Chino dot com, your promo code is solid. All right, let's go to Josh. He tailored this question specifically to me. It's like an Indo Chino suit. But it's a question.
Speaker 1: This is this is a utility question, Tye. I like this one a lot.
Speaker 2: This is right up my alley, like a ninety two mile an hour fastball, right down the pike. A nice meaty question, he says. How was your experience tie as a cord cutter during college football season? You had mentioned sometime in the summer that you ditched your traditional cable TV subscription in favor of YouTube TV.
Speaker 1: How did it go?
Speaker 2: Did you have any issues with buffering or games not playing smoothly? What about watching games that were thirty to ninety seconds behind quote unquote live TV? How did that work? With social media? So on and so forth? Now listen, both you and I are I guess now what would be considered cord cutters, right right, neither one of us have a traditional cable TV subscription. You've gone completely cold turkey. You're just living off of passwords and other streaming services, right.
Speaker 1: Son, I'm gonna be honest here, Ty, This is a if we're here in the snow globe of honesty. Yeah, my wife likes cable television a whole bunch WHOA and I have not been able so I had cut the cord when I was living alone, but when we moved in together, our options were such that I don't remember, like we didn't have Bravo with Sling at the time, or we didn't have HGTV with another one. I don't know. There was something that where she just like didn't want to navigate with a Roku. And that is not a battle I was willing to fight, Like, no, I want there's some hills when you're married that aren't worth dying on. Now, that's not well for you. I have a lot of thoughts about this having done it, and I am pushing to do it once again. But you are the one that can stand alone with YouTube TV specifically, I can talk about Sling continue.
Speaker 2: YouTube TV has been a revelation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I won't.
Speaker 2: I won't go into the full economics because that's not exactly made for a entertaining podcast.
Speaker 1: But how much is not not let's talk. I mean that's an element.
Speaker 2: YouTube TV is thirty five bucks a month. They're not paying They're not paying us, by the way, for the sponsorship. This is a totally organic question.
Speaker 1: This is college football. This is a thing.
Speaker 2: But this was actually the solid wife's idea. She was the one pushing it. I was the one who was a bit resistant to the idea. But YouTube TV came into our area, the Philadelphia area. We were one of the first five cities to become eligible for YouTube TV. In combination with changing our cable plan, cutting traditional cable, and also switching up our internet provider, we're saving somewhere in the neighborhood of about one hundred dollars a month, damn, which is not a small number.
Speaker 1: No, that is significant, twelve hundred dollars a year to support your multi layer dip habit.
Speaker 2: I have not had any issues with watching the games that are most relevant to me. There have been a few rare occasions where I've needed to piggyback off someone else's Pack twelve network subscription. But for the most part, Dan, I think if you're not a college football mutant like you and I are, a service like YouTube TV, which gives you a lot of really strong sports options, is a good option, a really good option. I did not have any issues watching the games that were most relevant. I'd say to about ninety percent of the people who listen to this show, so it worked really well during the season. They are in the process of creating a Roku TV app, which will be perfect. Then you'll be able to navigate YouTube TV. So what do you use it on right now? We just chrome cast it. Yeah, we chrome cast from the app directly to our TV. They gave me a free chrome cast with my first month's subscription.
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: But before long they're going to have a Roku app, so you'll be able to navigate your television just like you would normally. You get unlimited DVR, you get a bunch of really good options. It's not perfect, it doesn't offer everything, and I'm sure people out there will find something wrong with the chrome casting option, or there's something that I've forgotten to mention. I'm sure, but I have had no issues with it. The social media thing has been probably the only downside to it.
Speaker 1: Would you go as far as saying it's a bugaboo, It's a.
Speaker 2: Bugaboo, A little bit of a bugaboo, okay, in that it's about thirty to maybe forty seconds behind. Yeah, but I'm willing to live with it because I'm saving one hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 1: Do you have a do need with YouTube? Because you get you get CBS.
Speaker 2: I get CBS, you get all the local channels, all my wall, the local chanels.
Speaker 1: So yeah, depending on because I don't think Sling has CBS. And you can look at the various lineups, you know something doesn't. I don't know if you know PlayStation View has all of the college networks. You know, one will have no Big ten and one will have no Pac twelve and whatever. Most of them have the ESPN and Fox family of networks. What I would definitely recommend, as somebody who's done this before, the over the air antennas in most places really well, you can buy them to like varying strengths like whatever, like Killer Hurtz. I don't know what I'm talking about, but they're very small now. They look like mouse paths. You can get them on an Amazon so you live within dozens of miles fifty miles yeah, yeah, so those work really nicely. For network channels. I don't know if you know, there used to be a thing that what was the arrow that you can record stuff with. I don't think that exists anymore. But like YouTube, TV has a DVR built in I believe, yep, unlimited DVR. So I would just whatever the college network is for you. Don't worry about Twitter. Twitter is the worst thing that exists. Don't worry about the social mediaing behind social media. Just do it for convenience, do it for quality, and you can get the over the air for you're missing CBS and you want to see SEC games whatever, But go with the lineup that works best for you. Price it all out. It's it's pretty good. I was very happy with Sling TV when I had it, and I would do it again. I would do that or YouTube again. I'm not a big cable TV watcher.
Speaker 2: I'm not either. I'm not either football yeah so either.
Speaker 1: I of course like watching Adam Amine in all of his forms on ESPN and all of our friends that do college football content. But like I don't really watch the network anymore. I think it's largely garbage. HGTV not for me. I like Top Chef on Bravo, but like I can get a Bravo app and pas.
Speaker 2: See there there are shows that the solid wife likes on HGTV and shows that shows that I'll watch with her. But you can buy those. You can buy them on a on a Google Play or Apple TV, whatever you have. And still you're coming out in front.
Speaker 1: And maybe HGTV has an app I don't know, and you can get a password for set app. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't know anything about that.
Speaker 1: Dan. Perhaps I don't know this. I'm just giving you options. Yeah. I think we're gonna push to do it again because Okay, I don't know. Listen, I'm who's the cable provider in your area because ours is Like, No, I don't want to I don't want to talk about that.
Speaker 2: I'm not even going to talk about them. I don't even want to say their name. A lot wars I have issues. But yeah, here is my point for anyone out there who's listening from YouTube TV. I have quietly, behind the scenes, been your best salesman and if you'd like to pay us for more ad space. Solid verbol at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Hit me up. What uh what cities are they in now?
Speaker 2: Like eighty cities or something?
Speaker 1: Crazy?
Speaker 2: Are they really? They're all over in New York. They're all over. Maybe it's not eighty, but it's a lot dozens available.
Speaker 1: Oh, they're in a bunch. Yeah. Ty Just before we started recording, you're like, there's no way they're in Harrisburg, Tye. Wrong again, they are in Harrisburg, Hartill, Decatur, you bet you. I don't want to drone on.
Speaker 2: Too long about cord cutting, but okay, if you got more questions, email me Josh, wait, where are we going next day?
Speaker 1: And you get to pick? All right, Um, we do have a couple other ones, but let's go. Let's stay with I like this question from Kevin, Tie because it's going to make you uncomfortable, and I have some thoughts. Okay, Kevin wants to know what can we do to make bid days more popular? Oh? God, let me repeat that. What can we do to make bid days? That's B I D E T. Yeah, more popular. It's a much better alternative to wiping dry. Okay, Okay, Tie, let's start at the beginning. Yeah, what to you? Is it a beday?
Speaker 2: That's a great question. So here is my follow up to that question. Yeah, I don't even know what a bidet is. Okay, would you like to google bidet? Please google b id e t. Let's all learn together.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm looking at it now. So a bidet is a separate seated apparatus in a bathroom.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I knew this.
Speaker 1: After you move your bowels, you transfer to the second apparatus, which shoots a generally warm stream to clean you up. So, in fact, it's a more aggressive cleansing than your standard toilet paper, which, especially hotels whatever, could be a little thinner and not as good an experience.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing here from Walmart. It's French, a twenty three dollars portable bidet sure, which looks like the nozzle for a host.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean I it's something I would skimp on.
Speaker 2: Though technically portable, maybe not logistically possible, depending on how portable you're trying to.
Speaker 1: Make it right, And it looks like there are like there's a groupon for a biday that you attached to the toilet. I I don't know.
Speaker 2: Does a biday that you get via a groupon. Yeah, really give you the benefits you're looking for. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think you want to cheap out when it comes to that area. Yeah. I just the transfer to me is the tricky part because you're sort of scooting. Yeah, you're scooting over. And when I was in Paris with my wife a couple of years ago, now almost it was digital tie digital. Well, so there's a thing on the wall, there's a digital readout and you can choose like the motion and the temperature and the angle and the speed. So it's we've the bidet industry has its leaps and bounds tie from where it was.
Speaker 2: I can't offer I can't offer any first and experience on this.
Speaker 1: Sure it's it's thorough, ty, I'll give you that it is. It is thorough. Here's my sub question, because I don't know marketing wise what you and I can do besides look up the actual definition on our show to increase bidet awareness. But have you experimented with the non dry cleaning? I have it, if you know what I mean? You have not? No, So, camera guy Dave, who is who takes this more seriously than I have ever seen anybody take it. He is like, you know what a wet nap is. Yeah. Sure, he travels for work and he brings bags of that with him. Okay, so some people subscribe to the wet only like a wet wipe only. Some people go wet dry. Okay, to really attack the issue because you don't want to have an issue. Okay, But the next time, ty if you find yourself at a very nice hotel or a very nice home and you see a second apparatus in the bathroom, I need you to make me a promise right now. Clean that region. Tie, okay, clean that region. That's a very report back. That is what was his name, Kevin? Yeah, long time for baller, Kevin Hanson. Kevin.
Speaker 2: That is a weird question to send into people.
Speaker 1: You know, it's I think it's a worthy question. I just I would be worried with the wet wipes that there's residue or something like that. I feel like the wet dry is the move to go on the road.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, where do you want to go next?
Speaker 1: In you get the next question, Let's go to Sean Dan and Tye. Please tell us about the most awkward date you've ever been.
Speaker 2: Knew you know what. I knew you were going to ask this damn question. Okay, Tye, No you start not okay, ty you start with this. Okay, you think about this a little bit.
Speaker 1: I have two, and they were only the only dates I went on with either of these people were first and final date with these people. One date I went on with somebody and she said, we could sort of like be obvious about this or like pretend like we're not being obvious about this, but like, can I scroll through your Instagram to like stalk you so if I have any questions?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, that's awkward.
Speaker 1: Awkward, I guess, And so like I handed her my phone because I you know, maybe it was going to be playful. Maybe it was going to be like, ah, let's make crack some jokes. They'll be chemistry. She's just scrolling through and like, you really do like Mexican food, don't you like? Yeah? I guess. Oh, Like who's this? Like it's my brother? Yeah? That it was weird. It brought the date to a screeching halt. The other time, I went on a date with somebody who lived in Chinatown and she did not like Chinese people o, which I thought was a weird topic to bring up and a bad place to live. How does that come up?
Speaker 2: Dan?
Speaker 1: I asked what neighborhood she lived in, and she said Chinatown And she said and oh, I said something like, you don't hear about a lot of people living in Chinatown. It's just a lot of grocery stores and things like that. There's not like a part a lot of apartment buildings. And she was like, yeah, it was sort of convenient for work or something like that. She worked on a TV show And I'm like, all right. She was like, yeah, the weird part of it is I don't like Chinese people. Oh okay, just divulge it like that, sure, just on a first date. Hide the racist stuff. Yeah, no, leave that out for you. So that that was awkward, and she kept half apologizing. She's like, oh, you think I'm like a bad person now, don't you? Like No, it's just you know, just behind your passion, but not to your face. Yeah. So that those were the one and only dates with those two.
Speaker 2: I think your stories beat mine.
Speaker 1: You're bashful with the spotlight.
Speaker 2: My my awkward story was that I went on a second date on Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think you've told this before.
Speaker 2: It was a second date on Valentine's Day, and it was shortly after I hurt my shoulder for the first time. So I was in a sling and the person that I was on a date with had broken her right arm, and so she was in a cast, which made it which made it very naturally awkward to begin with. Yeah, and then on top of it, given the fact that it was a second date, but there was pressure from Valentine's Day, no one was really sure how to carry on.
Speaker 1: No one really knew what to do.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna go see a movie, but then we got to the movie place and it turns out that the theater was closed. I didn't know what to do, so I got like one of those non red roses, just like kind of as but no, kind of as a gesture for Valentine's Day, Right, what do I know? The whole thing sort of went south from there.
Speaker 1: This is many moons ago. We're two weeks out from Valentine's Day ish, Yeah, so a lot of people listening could find themselves on a first date next week and then perhaps a second date.
Speaker 2: Don't make don't make too much of the fact that it's Valentine's Day, act as if it's like not even happening.
Speaker 1: If you're in my situation, here's what I would do. If it's a second or third or fourth date whatever, and you know, perhaps you've hung out at one of your places. Yeah, don't don't get flowers for a second date or third That's but it was.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like a full bouquet. It was more of just like a gag thing.
Speaker 1: You know. No, I understand, but I didn't know what to do. Yeah, I would go out to dinner. And this is easier when I guess if you're in New York and you're just walking around and it can sort of seem spontaneous, but go to dinner, maybe someplace that's near a drug store, and like, just go get candy together. Okay, so it's Valentine's Day, it's candy and it's not you know, it's a dollar, like what can't like? And then you're like, oh, here, here are you mic and Ikes? Because you're a Valentine, you're locked in Mike and Ikes, tell the story and then just move on with your life.
Speaker 2: I thought you were gonna say, go pick out some fresh flowers from somewhere on v now bustlers in New York City Street.
Speaker 1: No, no, there's a five dollars limit on the camp. You can buy it write eight or Dwayne Reid or whatever.
Speaker 2: All right, question, next question here?
Speaker 1: Do you want to go to Jordan Knight of the New Kids on the Block? Yes? Please? Okay, he probably gets it all the time. I apologize. If you were in control of the XFL, what changes would you make to make it more enjoyable to watch? We had somebody else said they wanted XFL thoughts because I guess it's coming back in a couple of years.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty, I think is the initial plan. First off, I would not broadcast it exclusively from that spider cam. Okay, and I know that's all the rage these days and people are really into it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: But as a compliment, what I would love to see are more creative camera angles, things that the XFL can pull off that the NFL might be too scared to do. So you think spider cam, I think drone cams all twenty two on third down, like the high coaches cam kind of thing. Let's get some drones hovering above the field and giving us angles that we've never seen before.
Speaker 1: God what a disaster that would be potentially, But it's the end. No, I agree, I want disasters.
Speaker 2: Let's get creative with our technology. Let's put a chip in the ball so that we know when we get over the goal line. Let's put a chip in the ball so we know when we get a first down. Putting some sort of receiver in the ball gives you all sorts of capabilities technically speaking, that the NFL has yet to embark upon that would give it a competitive advantage.
Speaker 1: Oh, I would just not broadcast it and give people DVDs of real football. I could not be less interested in the XFL. Oh, not interested at all. I So here's the thing for me. It's not because it's like a wrestling Vince McMahon thing whatever. It's not because I think it's going to be a gimmick. It's because I'm a snob and I don't want to watch super duper minor league football with super duper minor league players, super duper minor league coaches, broadcasters, whatever. I'm not interested in that. There's a reason we don't eat Thanksgiving food every Friday night. It's good to take some time off from football. I know, we do a year round podcast, and that's very strange for us to say, but we wouldn't like football as much if it went to may Right, you don't know what you got till it's gone.
Speaker 2: Ty, I don't know. If they made it cool, I'd give it. I'd give it a go. I I am not spending time with the NBA. I'm not sure this actually happens, by the way, really, I'm not sure that they're going to get this thing off the ground.
Speaker 1: I'll believe it when I see it.
Speaker 2: But my answer here, Jordan, very broadly speaking, is do cool things with technology that the NFL is too afraid to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if they had the ball chip, if they had interesting angles and drones, if they had some of that stuff, and if there were you know, I don't if it was the NFL or College this year. I know College did a little bit having like a camera on like a go pro style camera on the referees hat. Yeah, it wasn't great this year. It didn't do much, but it was a good alpha. It was a good sort of initial test that maybe we can figure some stuff out down the road that gives us some stuff like the pylon cam I thought was pretty successful. Right, they'll try and do They'll try.
Speaker 2: And do some cool stuff with augmented reality for people who go to games or sure people who are watching at home. I think they've got some cool options on the technology side that they could pursue.
Speaker 1: I just, yeah, I don't want to watch C minus football, And I say that as somebody who had to watch a lot of bad Oregon Defense recently. All right, Dan, do you ever grow your hair out? Sophomore year of college?
Speaker 2: Yes, define what growing your hair out means to you.
Speaker 1: So it froze, it has like the jewfro thing, and then it just sort of flops, like gravity kind of takes over and it sort of looks gross and mushrooming like the guitar player from Incubus. Okay, right, Like it's not great, it's not you know all you know, all of a sudden, it just it stops poofing and it just flops. Which are not good verbs? Have you?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 1: No? Not really?
Speaker 2: Okay, My hair does have a tendency to get a little about too, a little bit wacky.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: When I was down in Jamaica for my honeymoon, I had the Phil Simms thing going on where I don't know if it was the humidity or what, but it puffed out like I just hatched out of an egg. And that to me, sometimes that happens. Actually, that kind of happened when we were down in Atlanta. I thought you looked great, Tie before the live show. I had a moment. You were commenting on the hair moment that I was having beforehand. You want to say something, Ti, I'm going to connect with you on video right now. Okay, Okay, yep, I think we're connecting. Okay, I can see you. You probably can't see me.
Speaker 1: You see what's going on here? Oh wow, okay, winter Beard tie playoff. I can't super Bowl, super Bowl Beard, winter Beard. It's it's happening right here. Wow.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's not going to fill in on the cheeks.
Speaker 2: How many days growth is that?
Speaker 1: I think it's about a week. Okay, Yeah, you look good. That's all I got. Great.
Speaker 2: Thank you Gary for that question.
Speaker 1: Let's go one more questions.
Speaker 2: One final question, Dan, one final question here you get.
Speaker 1: Is this about the unc Charlotte forty nine ers? No? I don't want that one. Ah. No, we did get a question about Charlotte. It's gonna be tough for them to ever become a consistently solid program unless they're in Conference USA, they're gonna need a weird wash out shamed coach like Lane Kiffin or Butch Davis. So that's it.
Speaker 2: Next, let's go to Chris Let's This is a good way to close it out. Chris wants to know what is the solid verbals planned for twenty eighteen. M what do y'all got planned? I think I said job right? Yeah, y'all you nailed it.
Speaker 1: Do y'all plan on more live video to pair with the podcast?
Speaker 2: Dan? What is our official for twenty eighteen? Have we talked about this?
Speaker 1: Do we plan?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Have we ever had a plan for any singular season in which we've done a podcast?
Speaker 1: Yeah? We we're doing better and better with that. We don't have a strict plan, but yes, there is a plan to do more live video. I don't know if it'll be a Q and a thing because during the season it's very boring to look at us looking at our lab.
Speaker 2: Let me let me rephrase Chris's question. Okay, Dan Rubinstein, mm hmm, And I want you to give me a semi serious answer here.
Speaker 1: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: My guess is when I ask this, you will take it in a non serious direction. Okay, I will as is your normal empulsis. I will ignore the impulses. Let's say we've got every person of power eating out of our hands, hm, every decision maker, every influencer out there eating out of our hands. What would we want to do. We've got a blank slate. What would you want to do with the soliverbal And twenty eighteen to make it as big as possible?
Speaker 1: I would want to We're a podcast, so everybody that listens to us, everybody that found us, did so digitally, right, correct, It'd be sort of dumb to not try and grow that way, right, I agree, And I understand, Like, you know, there's TV, and it would be very cool to do something with TV, and that's always a goal. But our DNA is pretty digital. So to me, it's figuring out the right place for us, the right platform or platforms, the right concept to pair with those platforms. If it's Instagram, YouTube, Facebook. You know, we just did really cool things with Facebook and that really only made sense to do with Facebook at Media Day in Atlanta ahead of the National Championship game. But it's sort of marrying what the best idea would be living in two different places. We can be in the same place very easily. Yeah, yeah we can. We're about an hour and a half apart. But the fact that usually we're in different places. And I mean this is I'm being very serious. Give us feedback about where you like watching sports content, because that's my day job for USB Nation, and that's like our eternal challenge is what content goes where? So, if Ty and I were to do something, and these are ongoing discussions that we have with each other and we are fortunate to have with other people as well, where makes the most sense? YouTube? Facebook, Instagram, Instagram's big kids love Instagram. I don't have Snapchat on my phone anymore because it's just it got to be too many social media apps. But where makes the most sense? Beyond and the podcast will never go away, we promise. And furthermore, stupid show is staying yes continue.
Speaker 2: And furthermore, if you are one of those hypothetical influencers or people in power, what have you solverble at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: What's solverble at gmail dot com? Look us up, let us know, let us know where you watch and would like to watch, Just not us but sports things in general, weirdos talking and making stuff. And while we're on the subject, Hi, i'd like to get to two thousand iTunes reviews. How many we got, like, I don't know, thirteen hundred. I really we've asked, you know, here and there at the end of shows and stuff like that. Let's get to two k. Well, let's get to three k and beyond SV two K SV two K like five star reviews iTunes. It helps.
Speaker 2: It seems like these shows just fly by dan mm hmm. So forgive us if it's a little bit longer than you bargained for, but it's a free download. We appreciate you sending in your questions via email, via Facebook, Twitter. I don't know if we got any on LinkedIn. I think I created a LinkedIn years we have a LinkedIn. We do officially have a LinkedIn, Okay, I haven't updated it in about two years, but we do have one of those two read Thank you for sending in your questions as well. We appreciate everyone's interest here in the off season. Do enjoy the Super Bowl again. Dance prediction is twenty four to fourteen Patriots. Mine is thirty one to twenty six. Eagles with a missed two point conversion late for the pets. That's my big one, the miss two point conversion. And if you are one of the betting types my Super Bowl prop every year that I tell people to bet on and people don't listen to me. But if it's there on your pool, if it's there on your betting service, three consecutive scorers by one team in the Super Bowl hits nearly every year, bet on that. Okay, for that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie Hildebrand, thanks again for tuning in. We'll catch you all in a week. In the meantime, stay solid, peace,