Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Final Hour.
Speaker 2: This Meet Friday. It's a great Meat Friday. Morale is high. We got nominated for the Sports Emmy earlier in the week and then found out late yesterday that Brent Musburger is going into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. We'll talk to Brent coming up here momentarily. It's a Masters Meet Friday. We got firecrackers, shrimp, Texas style chili, Cowboy ribs, blackened swordfish, and Azalea cocktails.
Speaker 3: Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 2: No body second round at the Masters in Augusta is under way. Wind is going to be an issue, Paul. You got an update on the leader board.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Justin Row is just getting going. He's seven under Ludwig Oberg, five under Bryce and d Chambeau with early Birdie three under.
Speaker 5: Okay, check that, four under.
Speaker 2: Four under Now all right tonight, Bucks, Pistons, Cabs, Nicks, Rockets, Lakers, Grizzlies, and the Nuggets. And really know their headlines here? Nothing football wise. I think we've tried to make something out of the TJ. Watts situation. Does he want a new deal, which he probably does? Does he want to stay in Pittsburgh. Guessing he still does big weekend for the NBA as we close out the regular season. We talked about this down through the years and using this platform, if I can get John Facenda, or at least help get John Facenda into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I've been very fortunate that been able to have people listen to us and that Pro Football Hall of Fame. I don't know if the voters or the people realize that John Facenda, the voice of the NFL, wasn't in the Hall of Fame. And wrote a letter to the Hall of Fame David Baker, and David said, you're right, he should be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Felt that way about Brent Musburger for a long time and actually contacted the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I said, what do I need to do? They said, put it in writing. I said, all right. So it was great, great day yesterday, Brent. Congratulations on going into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It's the Pete Rosel Radio and TV Award. I don't take any credit other than letting people reminding people that you weren't in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. You did all the work. I just wanted people to remember all the great work you did. So congratulations, Dan, thank you so much.
Speaker 5: I know that a couple of years ago we had a conversation out at the Super Bowl in Las Vegas. I think we were on the rooftop of the Fountain Blue Hotel and you mentioned it and I wasn't even on my mind, but you you actually put it forward. And then later I'm told as I was leaving, you had Jim Nance and Jim Nance also echoed what you had said. So I want to thank both of you. It was such an honor yesterday and you would have got a kick out of I was honestly just brushing my teeth and my phone rang and I looked down and I said NFL Hall of Fame and I said, well, I wonder what that. So I said hello, Brent, coach Vermeo and I said, yeah, Coach, I said, this is not your cell phone, this is a different phone. He said, congratulations, you're the winner of the Pete Rosell level. And it was, you know, mind blowing. I said, listen, Dan Patrick, Jim Nantz and you, coach, you're the ones who put this forward. And I owe you a debt of gratitude.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 5: It was great moments. I just wish Dan irv Cross, Phyllis, George, Jimmy, the Greek. I wish they were still with us to share in this because they meant so much to the NFL today and actually this art of my career. So again, thank you so much for your platform.
Speaker 2: Well, you gave me almost an opportunity to dream because when I watched you do your show when the NFL today, I remember watching and saying, I can do that. I'm not a play by play guy. I can do that. I don't know how to do that. I don't know if I'd ever get a chance to do that. But it's the first time in my broadcasting career, or like the beginning of it, that I had a direction and you gave me that direction. And you provided a soundtrack for people's lives for fifty years, and that's the staying power is remarkable. But I thank you because you made it look like you can do. You know, you and Costas Bryant Gumbel, guys who are really good. They make a hard job look easy. And that's why there's a lot of people who want to do this job. And you did that. It's not easy, but you provided that soundtrack, and I'm forever grateful for that.
Speaker 5: I'm so appreciative to hear that. And so many youngsters through the years Dan have come up and said, you know, I really want to get into sportscasting. I love what you do, and I would spend some time and talk them through it. But I you know, you touch a lot of lives. And I was asked yesterday, anybody ever get upset with you? And I chuckled and I said, occasionally I would get a letter a little nasty from a preacher somewhere who said that I was spoiling church attendance on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Did you get any feedback, negative feedback when you were saying you were looking live.
Speaker 5: No, it's interesting. No, everybody sort of gravitated to it without knowing how it started. And it started because my director, Bob Fishman, who was a Hall of Fame director by the way, he at a meeting of the NFL today once earlier in the week, said that his father had a friend who loved bet over unders and we were coming into November and he wanted the weather at the Darius stadiums that we were going and we didn't have enough time. Remember the NFL today, it was a half hour show. Now those pregame shows go on for days. But so well, I said, we can't do a weather report. But I said, Bob, what if you give me a live picture? And we started. I think the first one, damn might have been Soldier Field in Chicago, because it was in November, and so we used you are looking live and it was kind of a drizzly, gloomy day at the lake Front of Chicago. And so the next week at the at the meeting, Bob said, hey, my father's front really loved that. He thought that was great. And so we went from there to two three different stadiums that we could flash around the country, and so it became the trademark. Honestly, the only thing I ever insisted, and Bob followed. I said it has to be live. I said, we can't tape stadium pictures and make this up. If I say you were looking live, let's do it. So so so it went from there, and but no, I never I never received. I don't remember Pete Roselle, who was a good front of the shows. He would come by, you know, two or three times a year when he wasn't on the road watching games. But I don't I don't remember Pete ever asking me specifically about about you are looking. I've just began the trademark of the show. That's how that's how we are.
Speaker 2: But you were kind of dancing around gambling without oh yes.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, And I don't remember now, remember now, Jimmy, we weren't dancing, okay, we were hugging. I mean, I mean when Bob Wessler called me before year two of the NFL Today and he said, Brent, do you know a gambler by the name of Jimmy the Greek? And and I did because I when I was covering baseball, it would stop off in Las Vegas, and I had met the Greek. I knew him. And he said, I want to put him on the NFL today to talk about the games. And I said, that's fine, but what are we going to do with Commissioner Roselle? And of course that led to the famous meeting that we had for about an hour down the Park Avenue NFL offices, and Roselle could not have been more favorable to what the Greek being on the show. And then when we got up to leave to go back the commissioners. Oh by the way, listen, guys, do me a favor. Now. When you were at a meeting with the commissioner and he says favor, we knew. Here came the marching order and he said, please don't use minus three plus seven minus ten on the segment. Yes, sir, yes, sir, you got it. Never even thought about it. Walk out and say, how are we going to talk about if we can't use the points spreads? Okay? So that led to the famous checkboard with the Greek and people would figure out if the checks were all on one team side, he mede cover the spread. So so we went from there. And the only time I got in trouble after the NF we were doing the NFC of CBS then was after the NFC championship game. The Greek would always slip me a piece of paper with the spread on the Super Bowl, and I would always give it, and I'd always get the phone call on Monday. Don't you ever do that again? Oh gee, I'm sorry, I forgot.
Speaker 3: Until the next year when you forgot again.
Speaker 5: Exactly. Yeah, you know, I always knew, honestly, if you go back to the founding of the National Football League. I mean there were people at Bulbokama, Art Rooney he gets his stake in the Pittsburgh Steelers by winning at the horse track, and even Peter Roselle. Every time I went to the Kentucky Derby, Pete Roselle was there, usually with Wellington Merraw, the owner of the Jiants. So I knew in the underground was just full of people who like to bet on the National Football Are you know? You know, I'm glad that it's now illegal. And obviously you have to be careful because a gambling addiction is like an alcohol addiction. You got to be careful. You got to watch people. And I try to tell you youngsters all the time, you're not going to beat it. I said, you may think you are, but you're not. I said, if you want to do it for recreation, as I do, I said, go ahead and enjoy it.
Speaker 2: If I would have told you nineteen seventy five, hey, Brent, you're going to be a Hall of Famer and gambling is going to be embraced by all sports, what would you have thought that we've gotten to this point that gambling is now commonplace. It's it's almost like you're guilted in if you don't gamble on things, I'm going to.
Speaker 5: Thought you crazy. Okay, let's tell you the truth. I uh, both instance. But I never got into this, you know, dreaming about Hall of Fames. I went to Canton early in the NFL career to shoot a segment for it, but I never dreamed about about going in a and the gambling. I guess I always thought it had a chance to be legal, but I didn't realize how sports were going to embrace it. And you're so right. I talk to people all the time. I mean, think about ESPN, which did not exist when the NFL today started. I mean, we didn't have cable television like we have. If you go up. I was watching last night, like a lot of people are watching. In the bottom line, you know, there were NBA spreads and over unders were coming under. And I always smile when I see it because I was so pro voting back in the seventies and now it's just part of the coach And I think, Dan, that's a good thing, because I think it'll just kind of be accepted and go on its own way down the road.
Speaker 2: To tell you the truth, I was wondering if you could get Joe Namath to introduce you at the Hall of Fame. I mean you were there when he made his big proclamation, Oh yeah, and then they were going to win Super Bowl three.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's great. It was you know you were talking about stadiums. Yeah, and the old Orange Bowl. I think for me, the stadiums always stand out where I have memories of what happened there. Okay, and super Bowl three was was really something because earlier in that week we'd gone to Fort Lauderdale and the Bellman Solace that Joe Namath was out back and they were a handful of us. I was a writer then, and I also worked at BBM, the CBS radio station, and we went out back and there was Joe in a lounge chair the famous picture with you know, there was a lady behind him getting an autograph, and people came up and wished him good luck. And I tell people, it wasn't braggadocio. It wasn't. It wasn't like, oh, I guarant it was just kind of a matter of fact, and we're going to win the game. I guarantee it. And it was just kind of thrown out to tell you the truth. It did not become a big story until after the fact. Dave Anderson, great Columns of the New York Times, was with me at a country club that Joe spoke at, believe it or not, on Friday night. He was a guest of honor and he repeated it and it was Dave who And it was such a small story in the Times. And now it has become it has become bigger than life. But as for the game itself, Okay, I was upstairs, I had a prespass, but I was in the photographer's box. But guess who was next to me, Howard giving me the.
Speaker 3: Flay by plane of the I had.
Speaker 5: I was the one man audience for Howard Cosell at Super Bowl three. And of course he hated the NFC because the NFC would not lie, and he loved the AFL. That was that was his dream. So he was so proud of Joe. Willie name us. I'll tell you, you know, he called me mush. I was thinking, mush, I'll tell you he's the best.
Speaker 2: So but that's that's one of the iconic moments in NFL history. Like when you think about it, what it became, you know, then you had guys who started to guarantee things. Then it became almost, uh like commonplace where somebody was like, hey, we're gonna win, do you guarantee it?
Speaker 3: I guarantee it.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: It was in the footsteps of Joe Willing.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely, and I'll tell you Dan, that game to me meant more to the merger than anything. Now, Al Davis meant a lot to the mercer because he started signing quarterbacks who were in the NFL, and when the George Hallises of the world saw what it was going to cost them, they also made a move toward merging. But once Joe Namas you know, I mean remember now to Greek and Las Vegas made the Baltimore Colts an eighteen point favorite. Eighteen point favorite in that game. I mean, I let that sink in right now with everybody. Didn't you have you know, I did not bet the game, and I never I never. I don't think I always thought the Colts were going to win. Listen, I was a Bears guy, okay, I mean I covered him and knew the Hallas that I kind of looked down a little bit at the AFL. You know, I was kind of one of the establishment reporters back in the day, and so I really thought the Colts were going to win. I don't think I would have given eighteen points, but as it turns out, the better of the year would have been on Will Name and the Jets.
Speaker 2: My friend, congratulations again and good luck with Thank you vs in the sports betting network that you've been that you co founded there, but uh, long time coming. Glad to play any role in this, but once again, thank you for being a friend.
Speaker 5: Oh, by the way, the Gators did well in your.
Speaker 2: Pool, Yes they did. You won the contest, you won the Brackett. Is that more important than going into the Pro Football Hall of Fame for me?
Speaker 5: Is? Whatever?
Speaker 3: Thank you Brown, Thank you so much.
Speaker 5: Dad, Thanks thanks for all your help.
Speaker 2: Thank you, buddy. That's Brent Musburger and a co founder of Vson the Sports Betting Network. Uh, that's great, that's great. I love hearing the stories. Even if I've heard the stories, I still love hearing the stories because I hear his voice telling me the stories.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, take a break.
Speaker 2: We'll get to your phone calls coming up, and we'll hear from Charles Barkley coming up as well, and an interesting comparison or contrast in greatest scores of all time and somehow Lebron, Alex Ovechkin and Barry bonds part of that conversation.
Speaker 1: We'll have that for you coming up next. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 6: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 7: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 7: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world.
Speaker 6: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discus.
Speaker 7: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says.
Speaker 3: Something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 6: We like to get you involved too. Take your phone.
Speaker 3: Calls, chop it up, as they say.
Speaker 7: I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 3: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 6: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: I was watching the TMT Show inside the NBA last night with Charles and Kenny and Shack, and of course Memphis was playing against the Timberwolves. The Timberwolves scored fifty two points in the third quarter they won one five. Anthony Edwards went for forty four, including eighteen in the third quarter. So Minnesota moves into a three way tie with Memphis and Golden State for the sixth through eighth spots in the Western Conference. I mean, it's quite a race, though certainly in the West it feels like we know the teams that are going to be In the East. Now it's just a little bit of jockey for playoff seating. But part of the story was Charles and Shaq and Kenny were talking about John Moran's new celebration.
Speaker 8: Well he has a history that maybe, yeah, maybe just leave the celebrations with people might die Aloge you know what they're doing because you keep talking about another one person happy right now?
Speaker 5: Who's that?
Speaker 8: Taylor Jenkins ain't got to deal with this.
Speaker 5: You're gonna get another job. But he deserves to deal with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Taylor Jenkins, the former coach of the Memphis Grizzlies. How about Shack with the sound effects there, they were pretty good. It just seems like this is more important than the actual game and winning. For John Moran, Hey, I can't do the gun thing, so I got this.
Speaker 3: It's a grenade.
Speaker 2: And then un till he hears in the league office and they don't move on to something else, you know, But I you have a game where you go, Joe, You're supposed to be the star. Anthony Edwards gets forty four. That's that's really the most important part of all of this, not your celebration, his priorities, and now you know it's he's a victim, even though he created all of this, and now everybody's picking on him, you know, and that's unfortunate because he's got it reversed.
Speaker 3: He created it. All you got to do is just eat it.
Speaker 2: You got punished a couple of times here, and then just play great basketball. You're entertaining by the way you play basketball, not with some stupid celebration. Oh, you can't do the gun. Oh okay, I'm still going to do the gun. Oh I can't. Okay, I'm going to do a grenade. Okay, at some point, how about you just win some games? Okay, you get paid to win games. You're entertaining by the way you play. You don't need to add to them. There was another audio clip that I heard, and it was on ESPN the NHL inter mission report. So pk suban longtime hockey player and very good hockey player ESPN NHL analyst. He was talking about Alex Ovechkin's record, his scoring record being more impressive than Lebron's all time record in scoring and Barry Bond's home run records.
Speaker 9: The Ovechkin record for perspective, you like all the sports, you're a sports fan big time.
Speaker 2: Where do you want to rank that among all the other great achievements in the other sports?
Speaker 9: Jerry Rice touchdowns, touchdowns, you know, and listen, that's actually something a little bit more similar. I would say a wide receiver touchdowns would be more similar to a hockey players because you got a guy charging it. You've got to worry about defensive players taking.
Speaker 5: Your head off.
Speaker 9: You know Barry Bonds you spoke about, he doesn't have to worry about getting hit right, right. You know Lebron je doesn't have to worry about.
Speaker 5: Getting hit right. So it's different.
Speaker 9: And for me, this record has got to be the most difficult.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not Lebron's fault that it's on a collision sport. I think we all, the general consensus is the hardest thing to do in all.
Speaker 3: The sports is hit a baseball, right.
Speaker 2: I don't think you get too much argument there. And as far as Jerry Rice, somebody has to throw the ball to Jerry Rice, somebody has to throw it to him. He had two Hall of Fame quarterbacks in Montana and Steve Young getting the football. Now what you do after that, yes, that's up to your god given ability. Your teammate's blocking for you. But instead of celebrating Ovechkin, then you have to bring down Barry Bonds or Lebron or other sports. It's just a great achievement. I mean, oh, by the way, Ovechkin. He had an assist last night. He is now one two hundred and thirty eight behind Wayne Gretzky for the old time record in case, you know, we're keeping an eye on that as well. But it's a wonderful moment. It's a chance for a hockey to stand out, but you don't stand out but then diminishing, and you know, talking down about others. What Lebron did is incredible. And yes, the NBA, the physicality. Lebron might be playing thirty five minutes a game, Ovechkin is playing sixteen. Does that sound about right? Bonds might get one pitch in a game to hit one. He would have hit one hundred home runs if they pitched to him that one year when he hit seventy three, he would have hit one hundred. And I don't think that that's a great exaggerated there's no hyperbole. I truly thought that year he was so locked in he was going to hit whatever. If you threw it in his little bread box there, he was hitting it out. Now, scoring a goal is incredibly difficult. There's physicality involved in that. Then you got the guy who's right there in front of the net, and you got maybe a little small hole that you've got to find that where is that five hole, peanut butter, shehelf, whatever it is, But celebrate it unless you're saying, let me put this in perspective. Okay, I'll at least listen to that. But I mean, Lebron faces physicality every single night and he's playing thirty to thirty five minutes a night. Yes, Pauline, I will.
Speaker 4: Say it's interesting you could float these conversations and debates based off one or two words, like you're right about baseball being the hardest thing to do hit a pitch with movement at ninety five or one hundred and two. But you can make the case at playing the quarterback position, you have to drop back, look downfield, process information, all this while five or six or seven guys are trying to knock you senseless. You have to ignore the fact that you're about to be knock senseless. To me, that that's a different level of hard to do. But it's up there with baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, maybe we don't truly understand.
Speaker 2: I can look at hockey players as the best athletes because they have to do it with the stick on ice, on skates and you know, pucks are going ninety one hundred miles an hour. I get that, and you're doing it. You know, the ice is a big part of that. But celebrate it instead of this is more impressive than Lebron.
Speaker 3: It's different. It's different from Barry Bonds.
Speaker 5: Huh.
Speaker 2: Nobody's keeping the puck away from Ovechkin. They were keeping the baseball away from Barry Bonds. And he had one pitch, maybe two pitches, that was it. And Bonds, you know the number of times he's intentionally walked? How many times was he walked and then intentionally walked.
Speaker 4: Barry Bonds In the year he hit seventy three home runs, was walked regular walks one hundred and seventy seven times, one hundred and seventy seven walks, seventy three homers. That's one third of his plate appearances ended up in a walk.
Speaker 3: Yes, he whoa yeah.
Speaker 5: Fat of the Day.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by a Penny America, the Official Trading card said the Dan Patrick Show, Yes, Paully.
Speaker 4: A little more. Bond's seventy three home run season might be his second most impressive at age thirty nine slash forty. It was two thousand and four, he hit forty five homers. He was walked two hundred and thirty two times, including intentional walks. I mean, come on, one out of every five at bats they removed his bat and that's double the most in Major League Baseball history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so what if you could choose not to let Ovechkin have the puck, because that's what baseball did the bonds, they chose not to let him swing his bat, So that to me is underrated, truly remarkable. He would have hit one hundred home runs, but the same you know, Lebron with longevity and it just it should be celebrated staying healthy. And yes, Ovechkin breaks his leg earlier this season. Oh, by the way, gets forty goals.
Speaker 3: In a season.
Speaker 2: I mean, hockey players, they're nobody tougher and it's a demanding sport. But I don't know if you need to bring the other sports in to then showcase why this is amazing. It's amazing because he beat Dane Gretzky. You start there, the great one had this record. You start there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's kind of what we do though, right, It's like it's bring comparing different sports is not unlike comparing different eras in the same sport, right, because in a lot of almost every instance it's it's the sport's a completely different era to era, the way they play.
Speaker 2: It is it just the timing of this felt really rushed to then, instead of just celebrating it, it felt like, let's get Lebron in the conversation.
Speaker 3: And when p K was on.
Speaker 2: First take, he did that it was supposed to be a Bounovechkin immediately became about Lebron and that somehow it's a negative, and then that players don't fear Lebron, they fear Mike and Kobe, Like, what are we doing. That's not celebrating Ovechkin as much as it is. Let's denegrate Lebron because he's going to do that on Stephen A's show, and we know Steven A is not a fan of Lebron.
Speaker 3: But it's all difficult.
Speaker 2: It's it's like the last guy on the bench was incredible when he was in high school and probably in college. I mean, the degree of difficulty we can't even fathom it. You know, you look at these tapes of guys when they were in high school and you're like, go, we.
Speaker 3: I mean, Mac McClung. Go look at his high school tape. It's it's it's.
Speaker 2: One of those where you go, that guy's going to be a star. Well, he's a star in the dunk contest. He can't even get in the NBA. I was watching that Peyton Pritchard pickup game video. I'm going that guy's unstoppable. Now he's a role player with the Celtics. But it's just these guys are so great and then you get you know, greater, greater greatness, the greatest of all time. I'm not here to denigrate any of those. And even when we compare generations, you know, I hate doing it. It's tricky when you do it. Ovechkin, it's remarkable, incredible and a feat that will probably never be challenged. But the same with Bonds, with what he did, and Lebron used to be a big deal. You got to thirty thousand, he said, forty thousand in counting. Yeah, PAULI one.
Speaker 4: Thing I didn't understand about hockey as a kid because I knew nothing about hockey. I'd watch Wayne Gretzky and I remember watching and asking someone who actually knew hockey, how come they do shifts of like ninety seconds.
Speaker 5: Or two minutes.
Speaker 4: Why don't you just keep Wayne Gretzy out there for the entire period? And they're like, you have no idea what to burn? A shift of hockey is you're playing your full energy for ninety seconds two minutes.
Speaker 5: And you have to switch out that way.
Speaker 3: You know, you don't understand it.
Speaker 5: If you don't, I didn't know hockey at the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're out there, you give everything you can, then all of a sudden you come out. But Lebron is out there for thirty five minutes.
Speaker 11: Yes, ton, In addition to the stamina hockey apparently being smashed into the boards and occasionally someone punching in the face too.
Speaker 3: There's your foot by the way, Okay, of it hurts, I think you. I saw that.
Speaker 2: Here's something that people didn't factor in with the Lukadancik trait the amount of revenue, the amount of money the Mavericks are going to lose, so they didn't want to pay him this money. And I saw this with Tim McMahon or the Mothership. He said that the Mavericks are expected to lose a crazy amount of money this year due to lost revenue, dwindling crowds, merchandise sales, sponsors. You're probably talking about one hundred million dollars, but just save money by not signing him.
Speaker 3: Congratulations.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, Tim's article he says, you know this nine figures, like, who's going to want a sponsor? Are you going to have season tickets? Are you going to go to the games? There's no energy, no buzz, But you're talking about one hundred million dollars. You're going to lose and you don't have Luca. Yeah, Paulin.
Speaker 4: What really hurts them is Luca would keep them relevant every year. You may not be in the NBA finals every year, but you're a relevant NBA franchise because you have a superstar. And there's what h eight superstars in the NBA ten twelve where you could call them superstars where people tune in and you had one, you stumbled into one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's weird. Yeah, well I'm trying to think how many.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you have Lebron still musty TV, Luca is a joker?
Speaker 3: Is Steph is.
Speaker 2: Greek freak or yeah, Greek freak would be in there. Shay Gilgice is not mussy TV. But the team wins. There's a difference in that, you know, it's not a knock on him. He doesn't he doesn't do exciting things. He's just incredibly great. He's efficiently great. Who else would you put in there? Marv embiads no longer in the mix?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: Is Jalen Brunson must see TV in the playoffs? He wasn't last night against the Pistons matchup Cad Cunningham and coming out party there, Victor Wembenyama must see TV? Anybody else that we can throw in there. But the point is there aren't many of those guys who are must see TV. Durant's not anymore. Booker's not a must see TV. Like you'll go, oh, that guy's on, I'm gonna watch this. Anthony Edwards getting there job was Zion was maybe there? But I mean Cooper Flag's going to be to at least start his career that people will tune in to see.
Speaker 3: Is he for real? How good is he going to be? Yes, tod, I'm just listening.
Speaker 11: Oh sometimes I lean over into the mic and a trick. You're into thing, have something to say?
Speaker 3: Okay, are you gonna make it through?
Speaker 11: Just fidgeting, My fidgeting made it look like I was about to lean in and say something.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, I'm doing.
Speaker 12: Okay, all right, quickable result here if you want worst Tod injury, pickleball heel or whiffleball elbow. Okay, right now, seventy percent have whiffleball elbow. That's still just.
Speaker 5: Todd.
Speaker 2: We we have all that great food outside. I'm not sure do we need to fix a plate for you and bring it in to you.
Speaker 11: You'll be surprised how quickly I can look over to that setup over there. I'm not proud of that, but it's.
Speaker 2: How about we take a break. How about we take a break? Ready read, Ready, break.
Speaker 3: We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 3: What a great week, great week.
Speaker 2: Capped off by the Sports Emmy and Brent Musburger going into the Hall of Fame. Thanks for your phone calls, your emails, your tweets, you're all around support. Make sure you go to Dan Patrick dot com fifty percent off everything on the site. Thanks for putting up with me. I've been battling this cough this cold sore throat for two weeks now and get a few days to rest, so that'll be good. Best week in sports? Who had the best week in sports? I mean, I'm gonna say me because of what I just said, the Sports Emmy and Brent Musburger, Todd, how about you? Who had the best week in sports?
Speaker 11: If you count Sunday? Last Sunday is the start of the week, I'm gonna give it to Ovechkin. Is this whole week to enjoy? Passing Wing Gretchky, Let's give it.
Speaker 3: Toby, Okay, Seaton, how about you?
Speaker 12: I was gonna say Ovechkin too. It's tough to not at such a massive moment.
Speaker 3: Yep, Marv three for three.
Speaker 5: I thought Ovechkin easily best week in sports?
Speaker 4: Okay, Paul, I'm going to bring it back to us the Sports nomination and Dan. In all seriousness, I think it's great what all of us did. But what you did for Brent Musburger, because I think people overlook people sometimes and I don't know why, and it was a wrong that needed to be righted, and you threw your weight behind it. I was so happy when you sent that text yesterday. I'm proud of you and things like that. People will never ever ever forget Brent and others.
Speaker 2: Oh once again, I couldn't have done it without the cooperation the Pro Football Hall of Fame, because I needed somebody who would listen to me. There's a wonderful woman there, pat Linda Smith, and she's put up with me for thirty five years and she listened, and I, you know, same thing happened with John Facenda. All I wanted was somebody just listen and then whatever happens after that. I just I wanted to have an opportunity, and I have a platform here and to be able to use the platform, and I promise I will continue to do that. Mel Kiper is next on the list to get into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Peter King as well. Yes, Marvin, he took the words out of my mouth. I was going to ask who next would you want to get into the Hall of Fame, El Kuiper, And you said Sonny Vacaro, And the basketball says absolutely, Bill Knight is in, but Sony Vacarl's not. That's a travesty. Well, I hope that Sonny Vcaro, who really created the Shoe Wars and he signed Michael Jordan and all these coaches, all of these coaches should be writing to the Basketball Hall of Fame and saying, put Sonny Vacer in there. All of you guys, get together and do that so we don't do this posthumously. And that's what I worried about with Brent. He's eighty five. I just didn't want that to be h We wish he could have been here. Let's not do that if we can do it. Final results of the poll question there Seaton o'cunter.
Speaker 12: Yeah, more impressive the Jordan flu game or the Fritzy Heel show right now, that's at fifty to fifty, which I think Todd should take as a major win.
Speaker 5: Thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Todd had a misapp yesterday during pickleball. I don't know if the remas is in jeopardy. I'm gonna we have two weeks before that's going to happen.
Speaker 5: Todd.
Speaker 11: The healing processes of working your fifties.
Speaker 2: I say, what you did, it's your heel, it's the healing process. Would you take drugs to play in the rematch?
Speaker 8: I take my.
Speaker 11: Pickup ball very seriously, so I would take so if I got some.
Speaker 2: Like Tora Doll like what NFL players take, and I shot you up with that.
Speaker 5: I would take.
Speaker 11: Stuff to give horses. I got to get back out there.
Speaker 5: Blood doping. What do you need me to do?
Speaker 3: All right? All right, well you'll take part. You have the dope already.
Speaker 11: You got to get one more.
Speaker 2: In Will in Nebraska, Will, thanks for holding Hey, Will, Dave and Buffalo. I think Will had been holding for over and now won't Hey Dave, Hey Dan.
Speaker 5: I was wondering if you think Steve Taskers should be in the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: And you know I'm not involved in any of that. If he gets in as a special.
Speaker 2: Teams guy, great, I think that we've been more receptive with field goal kickers Hunter, you know, they go on the football field. Steve Tasker was wonderful. But I mean, I'm trying to get people in a world that I live in. I am not part of the Pro football voting. Baker and Bozeman, Hey Bake.
Speaker 13: Headed Danny Happy Friday real quick on this topic. There's a Major League Baseball player that to me is blasphemous that he's not in the Hall of Fame, and I he's a pitcher, and if you look at the statistics. I'm gonna give you the assassin and see if you and the boys can gets who it is. I know we're running out of time, but quickly so. Eighteen year career, he was a five time World Series champion with two different teams. He had a nearly twenty seven hundred strikeout was the Major League Baseball wins leader one season. But on the side, Young was a strikeout leader in three different seasons and was one of only twenty four pitchers in history to throw up perfect game.
Speaker 2: David Kohane Correct, Okay, Uh, once again, I'm about inclusion. It's up to the guys who crunched the numbers.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: Coney was a great pitcher.
Speaker 2: But uh, you know he'll get in because he's supposed to get in, and the people vote on it. You know, we've entrusted them with this, you know, Great Honor Todd, would you learn today.
Speaker 11: At the Masters the golfers may think they're the stars, but it's actually Augusta.
Speaker 3: Same with the nickt it's the garden Seatan Rendall Chamblee hasn't pissed anybody off this week, not yet.
Speaker 1: Marvin Seaton sometimes gets out.
Speaker 3: Paul that was a great week Thank you Todd. What did I learn?
Speaker 11: Dude to that deep voice, gus in LA's friend calls him the Mexican Barry White.
Speaker 3: I'm a great weekend everybody. Thanks for joining us.