Speaker 1: You're listening to I Choose Me with Jenny Garth. Hi. Everyone, welcome to I Choose Me. This podcast is all about the choices we make and where they lead us. My guest today has had a long standing career since the nineties. She's my og girl. You know her as a judge on the massive hit The Masked Singer, which airs right now Wednesdays on Fox. It's such a fun show to watch. She's also an author, an actress, a TV producer, and she's the founder of the clean beauty brand Formless Beauty. She's hilarious, beautiful, and I absolutely can't wait to chat with her. Please welcome Jenny McCarthy Wahlberg to the podcast. Hi, you are such a feast for my eyeballs right now.
Speaker 2: Ditto, Ditto. It's so good to see you.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen you. When's the last time we saw each other? Jenny McCarthy, God.
Speaker 2: Was it on a talk show?
Speaker 3: I feel like possibly I could have or my podcast or somewhere like we crossed paths. I'm not even sure, but do you recall that we did act together?
Speaker 2: Girl?
Speaker 1: How could we forget that?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 2: I was like, I wonder if she.
Speaker 3: Remembers I played a lesbian plumber on her show.
Speaker 1: Oh you were a plumber. I knew the lesbian part, but I didn't know the plumber part. Yes, I didn't recall plumbing. Okay, I just remember you were a lonely lesbian who had the hots for Val Tyler.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: It could be based on a true story, so funny. When they called me to do that role, I was.
Speaker 3: Like, hell yeah, and then I got the worst like flu. It was like Nora virus of my life or something terrible, so I couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: They had a placement come in and then.
Speaker 3: Literally the day before you guys were about to shoot, they called me like, do you feel any better? Because we don't like the person that replaced you, so you have to come in and take your rollover.
Speaker 2: And I'm like all right. And it was so great. You guys were so welcoming. I did so many sitcoms back then. I was like, I was that.
Speaker 3: Guest that used to be constantly on the Love Boat or Fantasy Island back in the day. I just went from sitcom to sitcom to sitcom, and you guys were so lovely to me and I. You were just kind, You were just a good soul, and I felt lucky.
Speaker 1: I was so happy to have you on the show to begin with. I just felt so just I'm so comfortable with you. I think I don't know why is it? Because do you remember what we used to get each other's mail? Yes? I do.
Speaker 3: And by the way, you guys, Jenny, people is like, who do people could use you with? I'm like always it's Jenny Garth, Like I have signed so many autographs with your name because I'm like, I don't want to disappoint the people. Very nice and they're like, oh my god, I love you on Nanoto and I'm like, thank you, and I'll just sigh. They're probably going home going the signature doesn't match. But I don't want to be a disappointment. And I'm like, I'm I'm very nice to them, so I figured you wouldn't mine. But it happens a lot, which which is a compliment.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I think it happened so much that we actually I don't I don't know how this could have happened, but I feel like we got each other's mail one we.
Speaker 2: Did, we did, we did, We definitely got each other's mail. How does that?
Speaker 1: How did the post office, confuse us.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't That's that's a really good question.
Speaker 3: I can understand some like fan mail or something like that, but it was very bizarre, very well.
Speaker 1: There's nobody I would rather be confused with than you, So I'm very comfortable with it.
Speaker 2: Did Oh I agree? Thank you?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. We have so much to talk about, the Masked Singer, your journey to love, your beauty brand, formless beauty. I want to get into all of it. But before we want to get into that stuff, you are such a multi hyphenate. You're a host, you're an author, you're an entrepreneur. When you are growing up in the best place ever, I will add the Midwest, specifically Illinois. We are fellow Illinoians. I want to know what did you want to be when you were little?
Speaker 3: So when I was very little, I grew up wanting and pretending to be this famous Hollywood starlett So I changed my name when I was probably around seven years old with my in my inside of my family, I said, you have to call me Ronda from now on because watching Vernon Shirley back in the day when Laverna Shirley moved to Hollywood. They had a neighbor named Ronda, and she had big blonde hair and big.
Speaker 2: Boobs, and I was like, that's what I want to be.
Speaker 3: Go figure, I'm like seven years old, and so I walked around as Ronda.
Speaker 2: I would have you know. The only script I knew growing up was from church because we went twice a week.
Speaker 3: So I would perform masks because that was the script I knew. I'd make people sit down and listen to me, do homilies, and then I used to do talk shows in my basement.
Speaker 2: I try to imitate Oprah.
Speaker 3: So there was always a connection of me wanting to get into the business. I just didn't know how because, as you know, when you grew up in Illinois, we didn't have much money. So it was kind of like, yeah, that's like at telling your you know your mom and did you want to be an astronaut?
Speaker 2: It's that far away, you know.
Speaker 1: And nobody in your family had any history in entertainment, right like me, same.
Speaker 2: No no one, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: So when I went to college, I went to be a special ed teacher and then I kind of switched over to be a nurse. But then I had to drop out because I went broke. I literally had no money, like to pay for myself. So that's when I was like, Okay, I I have nothing to lose. I'm nineteen, Why don't I go to LA and try to just see what happens. And so when I went out there, I went on the heels of Playboy because I was twenty thousand dollars in debt from college and I didn't know anybody, and I felt like it could be a little bit of a sorority or at least an organization to kind of be there for when I got there.
Speaker 2: Little did I know at that time it was you.
Speaker 3: Know, it's hard to go from Playboy to comedy or even anything of who knew and you know, and I kind of I kind of did know that, but I didn't have any other options. So when I start, when I went and did it, then I said, what would be great for me to break out of this mold to show my personality. I'm like, you know, MTV would be a good opportunity to kind of show another side of myself. And that's when I saw this open casting call for singles Out. It was an MTV game show at the time for all you young, young ones out there, and so they wouldn't even let me audition Jen They said, no, we don't want to playmates.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what do you think I'm gonna do?
Speaker 3: I'm going to take my clothes off in the middle of a gage show Like now, Playboy seems so tame compared to what you know, only fans and all.
Speaker 2: These things going on.
Speaker 3: It was like rated PG practically, So I crashed the audition. I actually went to the cattle call, which there was like four hundred people waiting in line, and I didn't even have a headshot that time. So I drew a picture of Lucy from Charlie Brown and then signed my name and did my audition, and I kept getting callbacks until the final like three, and wound up getting the job. And it was a great transition because then people go, wow, she's anything but kind of a pin up.
Speaker 2: So I got to show that other side.
Speaker 3: And then I had to pound my way into trying to get in some acting roles, and then I started writing books and then I just I just I love the business so much, but I also get bored very easily, so I need to be stimulated constantly.
Speaker 1: There are so much alike it's freaking me out, like the whole story minus the Playboy party didn't do that. But we are so much alike, like you worked hard to get where you are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hustler.
Speaker 3: You know, it's like I think it is when you're determined and you know that there's really nothing else you want to do.
Speaker 2: There only leaves one road. But you know, this business, as you know, is tough. It's tough. There's a lot of rejection.
Speaker 3: I remember all the articles going, oh my god, you have fourteen minutes left.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like.
Speaker 3: You can believe it, or you can believe in yourself. And I just believe in myself and keep going. And now you know, I've written ten books, nine books or something like that, and I've done a little bit of everything. And that's the way I kind of like it. I want to keep going. I even ask myself now, I'm like I just started just started to miss acting only recently, like literally, like I did it for so long, and then I got into hosting, like assign me to do a.
Speaker 2: Show with her for a little while. Then I went over and hosted the view.
Speaker 3: And then I took my own podcast, It's Serious for seven years, and then I transitioned to the mass singer.
Speaker 2: And now I'm like, you know what, I kind of miss doing like some comedy. The problem is.
Speaker 3: There's nothing going on like actors right now in Hollywood. It's very difficult to get work. Especially the sitcoms are dead.
Speaker 1: There's no Sitcomoy's sad, right, so sad, there's nothing, no, no. You know what they say. I read this somewhere that persistence is the key to success. And you are a vision of persistence. You're a vision of talent, like just born into you, and you tapped into that, all of that and made your way to have this incredible career, a long lasting career, albeit it's had its challenges. You've had to work really hard, You've had to reinvent yourself a million times, but you've always stayed true to exactly who you are. And that's what I admire the most about you.
Speaker 2: I think, oh, thank you.
Speaker 3: I mean that that's what really keeps me, I think, alive, insane in this business when you know you can easily fall into being the scandal girl and doing a bunch of late night mishaps, and I just stayed focused on.
Speaker 2: Staying true to myself.
Speaker 3: Like you said, like really really, you know what, it also really helps being a mom and then being a single mom, because you also have that motivation to pay the bills. Like you know, when my son was younger and diagnosed with autism and I literally got the autism diagnosis and we smiled for divorce.
Speaker 2: Within the same week. That was a tough time in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: Oh, I mean I just remember crying so hard. My butthole was hurting.
Speaker 2: Wow, I was in a hower.
Speaker 1: But you have really good like mind body relationship that you know, you know that your emotions caused that.
Speaker 3: I was like literally going, oh my god, I'm just crying so hard. But it just it also just motivates you, you know, because you're like, I have to pay for speech therapy I want, and by you, there's a lot of jobs I probably never would have said yes to if I didn't.
Speaker 2: Have to pay for the speech therapy and things like that.
Speaker 3: But I'm grateful for that because it did motivate me to keep going. And then as things got a little easier, I got to choose things that I wanted to do. And as you know, it's just like with your podcast, I choose me. It's like to be able to choose what you want instead of what maybe people around you or by necessity.
Speaker 2: It's just it's a whole game changer, especially at this stage in our life.
Speaker 3: It's like I understand now when I was younger looking at people at our age now talking about this being the best time of their lives and just so much better, and truly it really is.
Speaker 2: It really is the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we never believed them then, but now being in it, it is the best. And you can really have such an appreciation for all that you've been through. And like you said, you probably took jobs that you didn't want to do, and I can so relate to that because you had to pay the bills and you have people depending on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Trusk, you exactly, and there's no one to lean on it. I didn't come from a rich family, you know, right, So it's like and I was not about to, you know, sleep with any guy for money, maybe for a great pair of shoes, but never to lean on.
Speaker 2: I'm very dependent. I'm independent, like.
Speaker 1: You are independent.
Speaker 3: When I when I first went out to la and people are like, you're gonna have to sleep your way to the top, I was like, oh, really, watch me not do that.
Speaker 2: Watched me earn every.
Speaker 3: Dollar for myself, watch me become an entrepreneur, watch me write books, watch me do everything I possibly can. You know, coming out of a divorce, I didn't getting money to pay it, you know what I mean. So it's like, yeah, it's it was very challenging, but looking back, it made me who I am today, stronger, much stronger.
Speaker 1: I didn't think I could love you more. I love you more. And this is just the beginning of this podcast. I want to talk about the mask singer because that started in twenty nineteen, and I gotta be honest. When I heard the concept of the masked singer, people singing in ginormous, crazy costumes, I was like, is this going to work? What was it that told you that this was the right choice for you.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad you asked that, because I was doing my serious radio show at the time, was really doing well at Sirius.
Speaker 2: I was there for almost seven years, and I would.
Speaker 3: Get offers to do little stuff here and there, and I was always like, and then a mask singer rolled around, and my agent actually turned it.
Speaker 2: Down a couple of times.
Speaker 3: He's like, this is too weird, so he came back to me. He's like, oh, I got to ask you because they keep bogging me. This is the show. And I looked at the Korean format that's where it came from, and I saw something special in it, much like I saw Singled Out, which was it was different. It was different enough, and it checked a lot of boxes, which was you got the singing show, very entertained. It's got a who is it component, It's got these clues that you have to kind of put together, and it wasn't going to be an evil judgmental show.
Speaker 2: We as judges got to give flowers.
Speaker 3: I am not a confrontatial person. That's why I did not do well on the view fighting. I did not want to fight. It's like I'm the middle child. I want to go to keep the peace. So I love the fact that there was goodness in this show. I love the fact that you can watch it with your kids. And that's something I hadn't done in a while, Like I haven't done programming that you know, is family orientated.
Speaker 2: So it checked all of those boxes.
Speaker 3: And I told my agent, I'm saying, yes, I do believe this show has potential because it's that weird and different and listen. I am a little weird, like it's on brand for me to be a little bit going to taking those weird choices. And when it hit, I was so grateful because it is fun and I love the parents that come up to me to this day and go, this is the only show where I get my kid leaves their phone or they get off the computer and they sit down on the couch with me and we watch it together.
Speaker 2: And it's been great. It's been really really great. So lucky. I hope it goes on for like as long as American Idol.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy for you. I mean, it's already been on for thirteen seasons. Hello, who knew would be such a juggernaut.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping for eighty.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. It just looks like a lot of fun to be on. I've passed a number of times. Not singing not my thing, but it's fun to watch so and you're so good on it, Oh my god.
Speaker 3: You know they ask I'm with a panel of saying because Ken, even though he pretends, I just think he can sing. So they make us open a show with a singing number sometimes and literally I don't get nervous about things I am a wreck because they have me sing a line and I can't sing. I sound like Peter Brady.
Speaker 2: On My rat much. I'm like, it's time to change.
Speaker 3: So the Sharp episode that we just did this season, which we're doing all of these awesome now themed episodes, they had me come out and sing a line and they called me when they were in post production and they're like, Jenny, we have been laughing in the editing bay because you sound so bad that we have to have you re record your singing. And I was like, I told you I can't sing, and literally I get like nauseous. We did a Muppet episode where everyone had to sing a line and when the camera posed to me, I literally am like this rainbows, I'm just ter.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm not a singer. But it also makes it fun, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh god, what a ride, right, totally? You and your husband Donnie, you guys have been married for almost eleven years? Is that it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Similar, I'm just under you at nine maybe ten, I can't remember, but like me, we've finally found what it appears to be a lasting love. Oh. It seems like you have had a fairy tale kind of romance with Donnie prosecutest boy.
Speaker 2: We really are a lot similar, aren't we. John, We're both crazy.
Speaker 3: So with Donnie, it truly is I feel so lucky because when you're in the dating pool, especially as a single mom, especially in Los Angeles, you have very limited choices.
Speaker 1: And you're famous, which is another element.
Speaker 2: It's really really hard.
Speaker 3: It's like almost with you're forty, you have to date sixty because the forty year olds date the twenty year olds.
Speaker 2: You know, It's like that's how it felt like in the day in LA.
Speaker 1: The sixty year olds are still dating like the twenty year olds.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's what I mean. Yeah exactly, Yeah, right, so terrible.
Speaker 3: So if you're a forty year old woman, like, no one wants to another guy that's forty doesn't want another forty year old.
Speaker 2: They want their twenty year old. So it's like it was really difficult, So do you find him? I wound up moving.
Speaker 3: I woke up one day after being in LA for I lived in Chicago twenty years. I went to LA for twenty years, and then I woke up one day and I said, I don't want to raise my son here. I want to move back, buy a house down the street from my best friend and raise our kids together.
Speaker 2: And that's what we did.
Speaker 3: And so when I was out here, I did I would fight in New York and do you know, talk shows, And then I did my own talk show for a second and he came on there in New York as a guest, so we actually met and watch What Happens Live Andy Cohen's show. He was the second guest in the second show, and I'd never met him before and I thought.
Speaker 2: He was married, so I didn't really flirt with him. I was just like, oh, you're a really nice guy. Like I had no idea. Andy Cohne was like, you got to ask her out, You got to ask her out.
Speaker 3: And so then I wound up doing my show and like six months later and he came on as a guest.
Speaker 2: So I'm doing my homework and like, okay, who's he Dating's not dating anybody? Still wasn't thinking anything.
Speaker 3: Then he sat down and I started interviewing him, and I was like, oh, he's very smart, Oh he's very funny.
Speaker 2: Wow, he's really cute.
Speaker 3: And then I the interview was supposed to be nine minutes, it was ninety.
Speaker 1: Who Okay, that was like your first.
Speaker 3: Date totally, totally and literally there was so much sparks in chemistry that everyone in the audience was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: And then backstage, I'm like.
Speaker 3: I haven't given my number to a guy ever, and I had my assistant run over there and be like, here's Shanny's number because I'm like, I don't know how to do this. So he wound up waiting for me in his dressing room to see to say like goodbye. But I was so flushed like a little high school girl. My face was red, and I.
Speaker 2: Was like I can't want past him. I can't want past him.
Speaker 3: I'm like too scared, I'm too nervous, And so I wound up waiting an hour.
Speaker 2: And he was still in the room, but I was still scared.
Speaker 3: So I ran past his room, got in the elevator, and I'm like, I just hope he calls me.
Speaker 2: Two weeks ago by and he doesn't call me.
Speaker 3: He thought I just gave my phone number to everybody. That's why I didn't want to see him when I left, when really I was like a twelve.
Speaker 2: Year old little girl, like all freaked out.
Speaker 3: So he saw a commercial of me asking a psychic on my shop talk show if I'm going to marry Donnie Wahlberg, and the psychic was like, yeah, and this is before we even went on a date. Okay, but it was right after that episode, so he wound up calling me. We went on our first date and then it was game over. He was just I was so worried I was going to fall on the trap of men that were uncooked.
Speaker 2: I call him uncooked, like I didn't want to bake, because they come uncooked. You to stick them on the oven, teach him stuff, and then they're.
Speaker 3: Fully baked and then they're like ugh, And I just want a one that was because this is what happened.
Speaker 2: I don't know if what happened for you.
Speaker 3: In the dating world, we tend sometimes us ladies who are I feel like women are more of all the men sometimes sorry, but okay. And we tend to downshift, like I'll do the spiritual growth, I have to end a relationship.
Speaker 2: I'll work on myself. I'll get to this next level.
Speaker 3: Then I'll meet a guy and I'll have to downshift my energy. It's almost like playing down in a room. It's like you'll take you'll sacrifice parts of yourself that you already kind of built up yourself. You'll put them as the priority instead of yourself. You'll give them the first choices instead of So I wound up kind of kept downgrading each down, shifting like a car gear in each one of these relationships. And I was like, f that, I'm not doing that anymore. So I took one year break. I was like, I'm not gonna date anybody. I'm not gonna sleep with anybody. I'm not gonna flirt with anybody. I'm just gonna work on me and stick there. And then that's when a year later I met Donnie. So he came into my life and we walked together by side, holding hands, looking forward and not trying to clip. I call it clipping each other's wings because a lot of times you get into relationships and you want the other person is a little jealous, ego gets involved. They don't want you to be successful, feel afraid if you get more successful that you might leave them, so they'll clip your wings. They'll give you little insults here and there to keep you, you know.
Speaker 2: Grounded and so familiar.
Speaker 3: Yes, right, And then you recognize those patterns, and it's sadly sometimes you believed it in the past, you know, and I just wanted to make sure that I was with a wing fluffer, not a wing clipper.
Speaker 2: And Donnie was one of those guys that would just.
Speaker 3: Support me and be there with me and want to and celebrate the successes, you know, and he still does it to this day.
Speaker 1: That's the best. Again, similarity, That's how I feel with my third and hopefully final marriage. I'm glad that kind of support. I'm so happy for you to.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it's been it's been almost ten years for you.
Speaker 2: You kind of know.
Speaker 3: At this point if they're a wing clipper ling wing clupper.
Speaker 2: So obviously, how did you recognize that he was the best to find me asking?
Speaker 1: Honestly, it was that kind of support that I had never experienced before, that acceptance of who I was and his need almost to let me shine. Like and I remember after my divorce, I was like, what are my non negotiables? Wrote down the things that I had learned about myself that I wanted to do differently, and on the on the top of that list was I want somebody who is not afraid to let me shine as bright as I can and then just be there to support me. Yeah, and that's what it was for me. And he makes me laugh a lot. Oh, so there's that a great me too.
Speaker 3: Humor, I'm telling you, guys, humor is even better than a six pack. Guys, it's even better, better than the six pacts, so so much better.
Speaker 1: It's so much better because also guys that are interested in being funny are not that like self obsessed that they have to have a six pack like. They're more about like experiencing you and letting you do your thing and having a good time. It's just such a difference, such a difference.
Speaker 2: It is such a difference.
Speaker 3: And you know, one little tool that me and Donnie do to keep things on track, we do a lot of work on a relationship is that we do this thing come called questions sometimes, so it was like we're on a plane ride or we're like taking a long drive, or like let's play questions and questions will be maybe something on our mind that we didn't like have time to really get into a topic right or what can we do to Is there anything I can do to improve this relationship? Is there anything you're noticing? This is part of questions. Is there anything you're noticing that I can do or that I'm not doing that would help you in our relationship. That is such a beautiful thing to ask because there is always something. So for instance, one of the things that came up really recently, not actually not but maybe a year ago, and we're playing questions that Donnie implemented so beautifully, I said, I would love even more curiosity, like because sometimes when you're in a relationship for so long, you tend to not get as curious because you know all the answers to about each other, you know, so it's you kind of get like we always have that spark, we always have that fire, but you tend to sometimes lose a little bit of the curiosity. So I said, I would love it if you got a little bit more curious, like a talk show host when I don't know what news event happened or something even like that, like, hey, what do you think about that thing that you know so and so just out on TV? Or what are you thinking about the you know, uh whatever, whatever it is to spark like my intellect and to like bring some conversations or go deeper or things like that. Just go to playing curiosity because we tend to forget to do that.
Speaker 2: A little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that has been really really fun. I mean, I'm going to use that later today. Honestly, I'm going to play questions with Dave. Yeah, because I think that you're so right. We learn, you know, there's so much we can always be working harder to improve our relationship, and sometimes you just get complacent and comfortable. Yeah, and those things aren't important. So that is a great tip for me and all of our listeners. Let's play the question game. Okay, I like it.
Speaker 2: I call it check in as well.
Speaker 3: You know, let's do a check in question, but we do call it questions because it's fun and we take turns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, it's so good. You He just recently kind of completed his very long run on Blue Bloods, right, yep, you have mal to yourself. Now, how's that working out for you?
Speaker 3: You know, it's been he would go from Blue Bloods to his tour, from blue Bloods to his tour. So we thank god we have a solid foundation because I also shoot my show in LA so there's a lot of flying back and forth. There's a lot of not seeing es spells like you're in COVID.
Speaker 2: It was hard. So this is the first time.
Speaker 3: We've been together, like twenty four hours a day, and now I'm scared because I'm even more addicted to him. I thought I was addicted to my husband before. Now he just went out of town and I was like, we're both going, what are we gonna do? Like, even if we're not speaking to each other, our energies together is just makes everything calm and wonderful. So now he's gonna be filming again. He's doing a spinoff of Blue Bloods.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know, so I'm just I'm like, well, I'll be visiting you a bundelare, And what about.
Speaker 1: The show that you guys are doing together, the true crime specials Very Scary Lovers.
Speaker 2: He does a show called Very Scary People.
Speaker 3: We just did a Valentine special of Very Scary Lovers, but we're talking about rolling that off into a series because there's a lot of.
Speaker 2: I don't want to say amazing, it's the wrong word.
Speaker 3: Insane couples who are very scary do a lot of bad things. So diving into this, I love like psychology and thinking and figuring out because especially with couples, usually there's one sane person to talk the insane person out of doing something dangerous. But when you have insane meeting insane, it's a whole other ball of wax.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's about thanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we'll see if we spin that off. But it was really nice working with them, Like I.
Speaker 3: Was like, I bet maybe we could do even more together because it was really nice because it didn't feel like work then, and we're.
Speaker 2: Like, we're going together, We're going to work together.
Speaker 1: I've always dreamed of working with my husband like that. He's a restaurant tour and I don't have any interest in serving people so like food. So that's not out yet. Maybe some day, but I hope that happens for you because I can see how you light up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do too. I really I enjoy him, I love him. I want this to work.
Speaker 1: When you're so I'm not going to say obsessed, but you're so happy in your relationship. You love this man and you love Evan, your son, Like, how do you find time to love yourself? That is? You know, that is an age old question, but everybody needs to figure out figure out the balance totally.
Speaker 2: And you know, I really believe balance comes with time. I think we have to screw it up a lot in order.
Speaker 3: To put the oxygen mask on ourselves, and sadly that that comes with a lot of depletion and exhaustion. So what the best thing that came out of my life was a horrific relationship I was in in the past that I lost myself so completely that it's kind of like, uh, there's a there's a there's a quote from Game of Thrones which is hilarious, but I'm always like, yes, he says chaos is a ladder, and it's true. So I had so much chaos going on in a certain relationship that this ladder was the only way out, and that ladder was each step of self love and getting out of it. I had the most, the biggest epiphany, the biggest shift in everything, and I was like, wow, if I didn't go through that cdoch relationship, I never would have learned about self love and self care.
Speaker 2: I it made me realize important is that I con first.
Speaker 3: Now that doesn't mean, of course, ignoring other people, but the freedom to have the balls to be like no, this is what I want to do was.
Speaker 2: So hard for me, really hard, really really hard.
Speaker 3: You know. It's like I always people pleaser. My whole life were like a caretaker and like I just want to make sure everyone else is happy, making sure that everyone's upset. I mean when I used to throw parties, my friends call me the most annoying person of a party because I'd go, you have fun, I have fun, even a good time, you have fun, you haven't fun.
Speaker 2: Instead of going like, wait, am I having fun?
Speaker 3: It wasn't until I turned like forty eight that I was like, I don't give a shit if anyone's having fun at my party.
Speaker 2: I'm having a good time.
Speaker 3: That is a real like shift in life as well, because I was also taking care of my son's health.
Speaker 2: That let my health go. So now my health is a priority. And even when I met Donnie, I taught him.
Speaker 3: I said, listen, one thing you're going to learn and see with me is that my definition of hell now is doing something I don't want to do. That's what I believe hell now on earth is when you say yes to things that you don't want to do. It's your fault for not using your voice. So you might see me a lot to say now, I don't want to do that. Like there's things where he's like, will you be my date at so and so thing? And I'm like, I love you and no, I love you and nope, I don't want it.
Speaker 1: But before I'd be like, okay, okay, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes you said at forty eight, that happened for you, like that became clear and I honest to God, not just to go with the same Zies thing. But that's when it happened for me too, my late forties, when I started to really understand who I was and what I wanted and what I didn't want. How can we do that earlier, like say, for the next generation, How can we help younger women, maybe their mothers, maybe they're losing themselves, like you said, in their children's health or taking care of somebody. How do we encourage that for younger women? Because I feel like if we had known this younger I don't know, who knows what I mean, would have happened.
Speaker 3: I actually thought about that, you know, because I've written a lot of books, and one of the things that I've realized is when we're younger, we don't want to listen to our older parents or older generation. It's like, imagine, is then gen Z trying to listen to a boomer bye, And it's almost like, and I've learned you can't learn to drive a car if you're always in the passenger seat. So you have to get in the car and drive it and get tickets and you know, do maybe get in a car accident review until you learn and it's like you don't. The younger generation doesn't really want to listen now, mind you. There are some that will listen to the wise spiritual teachers. They might be into those books and they'll get it. I do feel like the younger generation is much more awake than we were, so I do think they have an advantage there.
Speaker 2: I do feel like there's a.
Speaker 3: Spiritual shift in our consciousness where I can see that they're wise beyond their years.
Speaker 2: So that to me is more of a hopeful thing than them actually listening to us and waking up. I think it's more of a collective consciousness shift.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so true, and I see it happening with my daughters. Maybe you see it happening with Evan, but it is so true. I always think, Wow, you are actually so far, so much more advanced emotionally intelligently at your age than I was.
Speaker 3: Completely he's so emotionally intelligent that he teaches me sometimes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so beautiful though. I mean, it's the best thing. When they like shine that mirror on you, you know, and they teach you something, You're like, hey, is this is this how it's supposed to be here? But I think it is. I think we've been through everything. We've had so many experiences, great and bad, and we've learned so much, but there's still always more to.
Speaker 2: Learn, always and our kids.
Speaker 3: If you allowed your kids to be your teachers as well, you learn so much because you can see yourself also in.
Speaker 2: Everything that you're saying to your child.
Speaker 3: Notice the words you're using, Notice the rules you're putting on Noticing are you projecting your own years onto your child?
Speaker 2: Because that's what you know.
Speaker 3: I've had to stop myself going like, wait a minute, I'm projecting the shit that happened to me onto him.
Speaker 2: I do have to, right, and you have to be very awake as a parent to learn to not project. But we're doing it out of love and fear, you know.
Speaker 1: And also this is our first time doing it. Like I'm always reminding my girls like you, guys, I don't know what I'm doing. I've never done this before, Like at this moment I've never done before, so please be a little more patient with me to totally lower your expectations Justice Midge exactly.
Speaker 3: And then you say to yourself, I try not to be like my parents, because you want to pair differently than you find yourself falling into.
Speaker 2: That same trap. But it's like it happens. It happens. You have to forgive yourself, you know.
Speaker 3: Like I just say, this morning, I kind of like he wanted to go visit his girlfriend at like ten o'clock in the morning this morning, and I was like, no, there's a snowstorm happening right now, You're not going there.
Speaker 2: And he's like, I'm twenty two, and I'm like, I don't care. Girl into my rope, and then I was Then I was apologied. I was like, oh, I'm so sorry. I shouldn't Like if I was twenty two, I'd have been like, you know what you could do? You can go yourself.
Speaker 3: I'm going yeah, And instead we both apologize for each other and hugged.
Speaker 2: But I'm like, I have to, you know, be careful.
Speaker 1: Literally last night apologized to my youngest daughter who's eighteen, because I didn't think things through enough when I was talking to her. I didn't you know, I didn't. I didn't look at it from all those angles, correct, I looked at it from like, yeah, this is my house, you'll follow my rules. So ew I hate that part of me.
Speaker 2: I don't want to.
Speaker 3: It's big of us that we can say sorry. That's right to feel like our egos might get trapped. Sometimes we're like, I don't care if I shows. If I say sorry, then they're no, no, no, I'm not the boss.
Speaker 2: No no, no, no, it has to be you get so much more respect.
Speaker 3: And I've learned they've learned to apologize. When you can apologize, they learned to come back sometimes they've been snotty or snooty or whatever.
Speaker 2: To apologize, at least for my son. I noticed.
Speaker 1: It's so so true. Okay, I want to talk about formless beauty, yes, that you created. Did you do this with your sister, because I know she's a makeup artist.
Speaker 2: I didn't do it with my sister. And my sister was so busy.
Speaker 3: She's she moved to New York and became like another world renowned makeup artist. And so I was like, all right, well, I'm just gonna dive in myself and the reason why I did it because there's there's so many beauty brands out there, right, celebrity boot brands out there.
Speaker 2: I'm like, do we need another one?
Speaker 3: But the problem was I didn't have an intention of doing it. I've gotten as I went through paramenopause, I started getting so much shit wrong with me. Excuse my French, but I would have autoimmune issues. I've got lee gut, candida, silly a disease, hashimotos and teacher for oar de mutation, just a lot of stuff and sensitivities to chemicals. I learned so much with healing my kind of own son going through things that I learned about toxins. So I said, okay, you know what time to put the oxygen mask on myself. I did a lot of healing with everyone around me. It's time to heal me. So I said, I'm just going to look for a super clean brand. I was horrified and shocked that the last time the FDA truly regulated makeup was over eighty years ago, and makeup companies are allowed to use the word clean without any regulation. So what they're scouting is clean is certainly not clean. That's like saying, oh, this is vegan, so that means clean. No, just doesn't mean you didn't use any Okay, that doesn't mean clean. So I was like, shit, I got to do this by myself. So I said, how am I going to do this? Because me, Jenny McCarthy, doesn't know what's clean and what's not clean. I don't people heard of the Environmental Working Group. If you don't know who they are, you guys, it's EWG dot org. They are the gold standard in what is toxic in your laundry, in your food, in your makeup and your skincare. They have doctors and scientists that have done all of this science and research.
Speaker 2: So I sat with them.
Speaker 3: I took a meeting and I said, I want to create beauty brand over your restrictions that you've done all the work.
Speaker 2: Now, there's not that many people that can do this.
Speaker 3: That's why when you get their stamp up of approval, probably there's no celebrity brands. Maybe one that got some you know, stamps approval. They gave me a list of over nine hundred pages of unacceptable restricted ingredients to not use in a makeup company. Now that means it's a lot harder it's going to take me a lot longer. It's going to be much more expensive. We can't use cheap cancer causing chemicals, which would make the price margins a little lower.
Speaker 2: But I didn't want to that.
Speaker 3: I want to be able to know that I am offering a solution for people that care about their toxic load. So we've created this most and I am so hands in. It's made me a new USA so I could be next to my chemist. My chemist hates me because I'm like, no better, Let's do it. So we formulated skincare. We just look at them like a brag and a brag.
Speaker 1: Skin careful, your packaging is beautiful you.
Speaker 3: And like, by the way, let me brag and give you an example for our mescara. We are one of the very few without hormone disruptors. Mescara is like the second biggest offender in makeup. There's there's Foundation, and then there's Mescarra because they use hormone disruptors and forever chemicals in there.
Speaker 2: So I was like, we're gonna do it.
Speaker 3: Not only to that, we did it without paravans, without thaltes, without aluminum powder, without promeldehyde, and it's freaking amazing. So it's like things like that that I'm so proud of. We've got chemo patients that call and be like, thank you so much. People with allergies, people say I couldn't even wear makeup anymore until I used your brand. Young teenagers who care about the toxicityes pregnant women. So if you have if you're sensitive to the environment, if you care about toxicities, if you have allergies, if you have sensitivities, this brand literally was formulated for you. I'm finding my tribe of people. It's called formalist beauty.
Speaker 1: Yes, formless beauty. I love that it's formless.
Speaker 2: It's farmles. You know I got the name from. Do you know who Eckartoli is? Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, he always I love him. He always referred to like our soul as formless. It doesn't have form. Of course, our human body does has form, but our soul doesn't. So when I was trying to create the company and coming up with a name, I wanted to put an intention behind it to remind people, Okay, even though we're doing the beauty aspect the external, I wanted to remind people that true beauty, real beauty comes from within and that is formless beauty. So that stuck with me, and I just said, that is my intention that even though we're doing this, makeup is just the cherry on top.
Speaker 2: People, because real beauty does come from within. But I love makeup. I just don't want to die for it.
Speaker 1: So good. I mean, it's true some people probably don't understand this, but sometimes choosing yourself is just as simple as like putting on a little lip color or some cheek color. By the way, I am obsessed with the little circle. I don't know is that she can lit and she's, yeah, dying for it. I'm so Actually, I'm not dying for it.
Speaker 2: You're not dying for it.
Speaker 1: I'm wearing it right now. I put on extra this morning just to impress you.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad, thank you. And it's the ingredients are so clean. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get all of my kids on this too, because as a mom, I really really worry about what they're putting on their face, on their skin, which is rapidly absorbed into their bloodstreams.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh, this is a big concern of mine.
Speaker 2: Daily, and you guys think about it.
Speaker 3: Most companies will import from China because that's how their margins are so cheap.
Speaker 2: Do you think anything that one's testing over in China hail to the no.
Speaker 3: No no.
Speaker 1: So I want to ask you about the hurdles that you've overcome creating this, because it sounds like that kind of quality control drives your price up. How were you able to do that?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, by following the Environmental work Group and keeping it in the United States.
Speaker 2: It almost impossible.
Speaker 3: Like I even thought, there's no way I'm going to be able to make a beauty brand under those standards without charging people one hundred and.
Speaker 2: Fifty dollars for lip gloss.
Speaker 3: So we were still a premium, higher end brand for that reason. So I try to make it so we can still stay upfloat and give people the highest quality makeup. I'm not rolling in the dough yet to make profits because I take the money and I roll it into more products because I really wanted to build it as clean as possible. But I feel like people are willing to pay a little bit more knowing that they're not contributing to their toxic load. Because let me tell you, guys, we are all having like imagine like a barrel. Our body can handle toxins to a certain point, but when that gets overflow, that is your immune system ds regulating. That's when you start to see MS, allergies, leaky gut, Parkinson's, all of those horrible things. And what especially those parabins and those salads and hormone disruptors are the cancer routes.
Speaker 2: So again, no one is regulating.
Speaker 3: That's why the Environmental Working Group I'm so proud to kind of be working with them because they've done the work. It's what the FDA should have been doing along, and I wish it was more regulated. Like I hope that I can be a trailblazer and showing people that you can be done. It can be done, and it should be done. So let's hope that we get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the truth is, makeup lasts a while. Okay, let me ask you this. When you're creating a clean product, does it have a lot less of a shelf life?
Speaker 3: It does so for instance, which but your mescarra, like our mescarra is a year. You're going to go through this probably in three, yeah, three or four months. The lip gloss is two years.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's not.
Speaker 1: But that's amazing.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 3: And like our eyeshadow is help free, which means no asbestos. You know, we still have a shorter shelf life compared to you know, brands that don't care where they have you a harsh preservative that will last ten years.
Speaker 2: Now a shorter shelf life.
Speaker 1: But it's still not too sure because you're still getting value because you're going to use this stuff all the time. You're gonna love it so much, I'm telling you people. And also it really irritates me when they'll create, like kids make up a little palette for little girls, boys or whatever, and it's full of crap.
Speaker 3: Oh, if you can just google the reactions that kids get, it's like horrible.
Speaker 2: And again, no one is looking out into skincare and makeup. You were on your own. It's a wild, wild I want to say, Wes.
Speaker 3: But it's around the world because they're god knows where they're getting the ingredients and no one's looking at them, no one.
Speaker 1: No one. You know what Jenny McCarthy is and that's all I need to know. Formless beauty, you guys, Oh, what are your three must have items that make you feel put together? Like when you're not in full glam for work, just in your real life.
Speaker 2: Does this mean is it makeup or other things?
Speaker 1: I think let's start with makeup.
Speaker 3: Make up, A lip gloss, A lip gloss and a mascara I can get by my cheek and clip blush. Gives me a little bonus because I can do this like if I'm my friends, I can go uh ruh, just even that. So mascara and a little cheek lip blush done. I don't even need a lot of foundation at this point because I don't want a bunch of lines on my face. It's like, just give me a little messcara to make me look like my eyes are open, right, you know?
Speaker 2: That's it? And then a good deodorant.
Speaker 1: You need to make one.
Speaker 2: I am it's coming out.
Speaker 1: It's coming out.
Speaker 2: Here for it.
Speaker 1: We're the same age, we've been in the same industry. It's been all about how we look. What does beauty mean to you? Like, what does it mean to you to be beautiful?
Speaker 3: I mean, there's no doubt having be in this business, you do have to care somewhat about the external, so you can't ignore that.
Speaker 2: But in this age, I have learned that the most beautiful women can appear actually ugly if they are not beautiful on the inside. And we've and we've seen it, you know you can.
Speaker 3: There's a there's an energy that exudes you that surpasses I think wrinkles, wait anything that I've seen. The most beautiful radiating women who are not models, who are normal, aready people that I am in awe of their beauty. So to me, the formless beauty radiates so much stronger on you know, on the inside than it does on the outside. But again, making yourself feel pretty on the outside does help you feel a little better on the inside.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we got to take care of ourselves. I think we you know, like we talked about before, you lose track of taking care of yourself. But just getting a little gussied up once in a while.
Speaker 2: Or does it makes you just lit a little bit better.
Speaker 1: And you're right, when I have a lip gloss on, when I have a little cheek tent on, I feel like, I don't know what it is, but I feel like I'm more awake, alive, presentable.
Speaker 2: It's true because sometimes you wanted to reflect how good you're feeling on the inside.
Speaker 3: Sometimes too, you're like you'll sometimes I'll pass in the mirror and I've been wearing sweats from college still in my hair, Like, but I'm like, wait a minute, I'm so happy on the inside. Let me just make the external reflect a little bit of how good I feel.
Speaker 2: On the outside.
Speaker 1: That is such good, good messaging. Okay, I have one last question for you. Yeah, yeah, Jenny McCarthy Wahlberg before I let you go, what was your last I choose me.
Speaker 3: Moment, my last I Choose me? I seem to do them all the time, but I can tell you a big one. The latest big one I did was I checked into an Airbnb and I did a three week cleanse where I didn't want to talk to anybody, I didn't want social media, and it was.
Speaker 2: A hardcore cleanse. It was like seven days of like no food, you just do water. Then you do the next day of like green.
Speaker 3: Shakes, and then you have a klonic machine that you do all your own colonics.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it was hard.
Speaker 1: Wait, whoa wha You do your own colonics?
Speaker 2: Sounded like a crazy person. But yeah, I've got so many gut issues.
Speaker 3: But they have these home kits that are amazing. But in the stuff that gets out of you like a parasite cleanse, like deep deep clean So to me is the biggest I choose me because I feel like it's going to elongate my life and get rid of a lot of the bad stuff. But you've got to be alone, like you you can't be because when you're detoxing, you're also detoxing emotions. You know, we store a lot of emotions, even in our fat cells and ourselves, So when you're detoxing, all of that's coming out when you don't have food. That's why a lot of a religious sex you know, they they do fasting in order to get clarity, so there's a lot of things that happened during that time.
Speaker 2: So to me, it's like the best thing that you can do is like a once in a year cleanse.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is such a good moment for you. Wait, if people out there are as crazy as you and I'm one of them, where do we get this cleanse? Do you mind sharing?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I mean, let me try to think. Cell Core has a great cleanse. Cell Core is the name of the company. They've got a great parasite cleanse. There's one that you can tie up with the full moons because that's when your worms come out to play, and that's when you kill them.
Speaker 2: But they to me right now, sel Core has the best cleanses.
Speaker 3: And then I've incorporated some of my old cleanses from the past with this because there isn't necessarily a water cleanse that goes along with sel Core, but.
Speaker 2: I just think it's the best on the market right now. Sell Core.
Speaker 1: Well, you are clear minded and vibrant and glowing, so sign me up.
Speaker 2: Back atch your sister.
Speaker 1: I love talking to you. I could talk to forever me too. We're sisters from other misters, so for sure I'm always here to take your mail or to sign an autograph for you.
Speaker 2: That's right, me too. You're so awesome.
Speaker 1: I love you. Thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and thanks to all your listeners for listening to me blab. I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 1: They love it. They love it.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, let's talk to you to keep in touch, will y'all?
Speaker 1: Okay, alright, bye her Bye