Speaker 1: NFL Power Rankings is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to a brand new edition of NFL Power Rankings. Mike yam along with the man who legitimately I say has the hardest job in the building, Eric at Holme. Checking out this podcast, you can see all of his rankings one through thirty two on NFL dot com.
Speaker 3: Eric.
Speaker 2: The reason why I say you have the hardest job. It's already difficult enough to rank.
Speaker 3: The teams one through thirty two.
Speaker 2: But the reaction that you get on social media from fan bases that might be a little upset on where you slap your team, that's what makes your job really hard. Is there a reaction of recently last couple weeks of stand out to you from an angry fan.
Speaker 4: Base, Yeah, very enthusiastic Bills fan ripping me for putting them at number two. Overall, right, the disrespect. Can you imagine Mike shocking at this point? Again, if you're a Bills fan, you've seen Josh Allen do some amazing things this season, but let's have some perspective. Lines are pretty good too, you know.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm glad and that's probably the best place to start with the number one team as we take you through the ranks one through eight. Yeah, no change at the top there. The lines just continue to ball. And yes, we do have a new number two team. You did give the Bills plenty of respect. They beat the Chiefs, so they sit at two. Kansas City suffers their first loss. They drop a spot to three. The Eagles welcome the first place in the NFC East, the Vikings at five.
Speaker 3: They're an eight win football team.
Speaker 2: Massive win by the Steelers, who we will talk about in just a couple of minutes as they take out the Ravens who sit seven. The number eight team, the Packers, a dramatic block field goal walk off win. All right, let's start with the number two team. It is the Buffalo Bills. I ask you this sort of with the smile on my face, knowing some of the social media reaction that you get. This is a Bills squad that's beaten the Chiefs last four regular season games. They haven't beaten them in the postseason last three times. Does the win from the weekend even matter?
Speaker 4: It does, but maybe not in a we've got their you know their number kind of way. We all, like you said, Obviously, the postseason record speaks for itself. Buffalo still got to prove itself once again gets to the postseason, especially when you know that inevitable that rematch is coming. But yeah, I mean it's important because it keeps the door open for the Bills to potentially steal the number one seed. No, the AFC East is all but wrapped up, we know that. But it also speaks to the fact that they won without Dalton king k they won without Keon Coleman. I mean, you know, they're still kind of shorthanded on defense, and we're able to play a great game. The run game wasn't terrific, but when you have Josh Allen doing things like this, it all tends to work out pretty well. So big, big day for Buffalo's defense. A couple of interceptions, also the three three and outs, and I don't think you could ask for more. But like you said, until we get to the postseason, until these two teams face again, that Bills Chiefs things still has an asterisk by it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, this is a great barometer game for Buffalo, and candidly, because of some of those injuries, Eric I thought Kansas City was going to win this football game. I was all prepared in my mind last week, finishing the show, going, hey, you know what do we make of this Kansas City squad? Who you have that number three? They continue to win somebody's football games. Now they lost this matchup, but I sit here and go, this might be a good thing for this squad, and hear me out, Eric, this is a team trying to win a third consecutive Super Bowl, and now all of a sudden, you got this undefeated season, the legacy of this franchise with Andy Reid and Patrick Mahomes, Like, now you don't have to.
Speaker 3: Worry about that. You got the loss out of the way.
Speaker 2: Let's just move on and really accomplish the task at hand, which is to make sure you got a first round by in the postseason and got an opportunity to hoist another Lombardi.
Speaker 4: Absolutely right. I mean it would be great for a team like the Chiefs that has accomplished so much over the last five six years to add another feather in their capital, that unbeaten season. Sure, it's not in the cards this year. It's not gonna happen. Now. Their focus, like you said, is on sealing up that number one seed. Don't let the Bills get hot, try to have that rematch if it does happen, occur in Arrowhead Field and not up at high Mark. So yeah, that's obviously the focus here. Isaiah Pacheco on track to get back. There's still finding ways to get DeAndre Hopkins involved in the playoffs, already involved in the offense rather and you know, I mean, look, it's another week of rest if they get that buy for guys like Travis Kelcey who take so much wear and tear over this course of the season. Patrick Mahomes two is still playing with the you know, a little bit banged up with the ankle and everything. So yeah, the focus hasn't changed. Obviously. This team takes care of business more often than not. So while Sunday was a setback, I don't think it was a major one.
Speaker 2: All right, So as far as the AFC teams are concerned, yes it's Buffalo, Yes it's Kansas City. We'll have a conversation on the Steelers and the Ravens.
Speaker 3: I think there's a real.
Speaker 2: Conversation by the end of the season to decide which team we think is truly the best team in that conference. Because I still think it's up in the air, and it's maybe not the team that most would point to. Meanwhile, the Philadelphia Eagles quie start here.
Speaker 3: Think.
Speaker 2: I don't know if at one point this season, Eric, you might have had them outside of the top ten. But right now they move up to the number four spot, as dangerous as they come in the NFL, and to me, they're peaking. I don't want to say it's the right time, but clearly the second half of the season.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at no point really or at not very many points towards the end of that ten and one streak they were on last season that I say, Okay, this is unquestionably one of the best teams in football. Their records said they were, but the numbers told a different story. This year, however, I feel like it's a stronger club, even with a worse record, And they've been, like you said, sort of growing since the bye week in all three phases. Really, I think especially defense, you've seen the bigger improvement there. Yeah, there's still a little bit of a slow starting offense. We'd like to see a little more first quarter action there from them, but by the end of the game they find a way to kind of crank themselves up to a rolling boil. Saquon Barkley's in the MVP discussion. Even for a running back, Jalen Hurts has played great football. They have their stud receivers, back, godders back. You know, it's all shaping up nicely. And they are dominant in both lines of scrimmage, which to me says a lot about a contender. If you're healthy on the offensive and defensive lines, and you've got difference makers up front, you have an excellent chance to make some day the postseason.
Speaker 2: Look, we're going to talk about the Rams a little bit later here on Power Rankings. They get that team Sunday Night Football cross the street from where our studios are at SOFI Stadium. I can't help but think that the Rams are going to be haunted by a loss on Monday Night Football against Miami. The other week, they responded with a win against the Patriots. But boy, get this one. Get the SHARPI out and circle it. That is going to be must see television. It is time, though, for future champions. Take a look at the.
Speaker 3: Odds for the AF seed North.
Speaker 2: Hello, the Pittsburgh Steelers still the favorite to win this division. According to FanDuel the Baltimore Ravens not far behind. I still can't believe the way Cincinnati lost that game against the Chargers. What a heartbreaking loss. And then the Cleveland Browns bringing up the rear. But let's focus in on the number sixteen. It's the Steelers. Yeah, they're in first place in this division. I'm going to say it, Eric, knowing that I might take some heat for it. I think they got lucky against the Ravens.
Speaker 4: They did too right, you would have gave without scoring a touchdowns and they hate Eric Boswell.
Speaker 3: I might have said it first, but he doubled down on it.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. No, I'm with you, right, come after both of us. I think it's a fact. Look, obviously you can't negate the fact that Nate Herbert made a great impact defensive play right away, you know, kind of spurred everybody excitement. You know, Patrick Queen made the big turnover right before halftime. Peyton Wilson, same thing. Look, they played Lamar Jackson great, right, They got just enough big plays from Pickens and Harris and guys like that, But it wasn't a great game from Russell Wilson. The offense still had some fits here and there. You know, the defense still was a two point conversion away from losing this game, and they had to have miskicks from Baltimore just to get to that point. So yeah, in no way, shape or form should the Steelers be beating their chests and saying we're the clear you know, kings of the AFC North at this point. But they have had Baltimore's number in recent matchups. They seem to kind of get in their heads a little bit and muddy up the waters when they play them, So that rematch looms large, just gonna have a big say on who ends up winning the division. But Steelers in a really nice place. All of a sudden, they're in a good spot game and a half up two in the lost column. Feeling pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the old adage, better be lucky than good. By the way, I think the Steelers are a good football team. All I'm saying is, yes, three turnovers, the Ravens had the two missfield goals, a miss two point conversion, and Derek Henry, who never fumbles, fumbles and they lose by two. That's the argument there. Yeah, that's Steelers once again rights football. Yeah, yeah, I mean, just it is what it is the Ravens, though you actually dropped them three spots. They get the Chargers on Monday, ed football. Great game that is looming, but based off of the way that they played against the Steelers, should I be worried about the squad.
Speaker 4: It's like every week we've got sort of a new area to focus on, right. I know we've talked about Justin Tucker. He's had struggles throughout the season. That was an issue Sunday. The defense, which has been a problem more often than not, actually played pretty darn well, I thought. So it was a big bounce back game for Zach Orr's group. You know, did enough on that side of the ball. But offensively, you know, this was Lamar Jackson's worst game and over a year probably, and you know he's still made plays, but it wasn't enough. And they only seemed to kind of get in his head and you know, force him to make some uncharacteristic throws not very accurate. You know, this is this is the problem. If you are so heavily reliant on what has been a great offense, no question about it, things like this happen if you can't you know, you can't have that great day offensively it requires everything else to be really buttoned up, and two missfield goals not so buttoned up. Penalties have been an issue all season long. Mic. You know, that's one of those things where you say, look, John Harbaugh is staff are great, but hard not to overlook the results. The bottom line is they're just making mistakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still can't believe we're talking about a seven and four football team. If for what it's worth, you know, all of us are fans, Eric, and sometimes you're watching the game and you just throw out something you have no idea if it's fact or not. I had said this to myself, I'm like, I don't think there's a team in the NFL that's got more drops on third. Well, here's the beauty of working at NFL Network. You can just ask your research department. They looked it up for me. They are tied for the fifth most, only four drops. But as I was told, hey, sometimes that is a little bit of an arbitrary stat But the point is it's still a really high number. Forum it's apparently four on the season. I feel like it's more than four. But the point is there's been quite a few of those. Meanwhile, there is a team that we haven't even name checked. In fact, they're in the next tier of squads that I think is as dangerous they come in the postseason. Will tell you who it is, and we'll get Eric's take on that. That's still to come here on power rankings. Back here on Power rankings. Teams nine through sixteen. Here we go the Chargers, very very dangerous. That's the squad that I made reference to before the break. I don't think anyone wants to take on this team. The Commanders drop two spots following a loss that Houston, Texas get a big Monday Night football win. I think there's questions and answers right now around that squad. Oh.
Speaker 3: I love the.
Speaker 2: Arizona story with this Cardinals team who sits twelve bow knicks, is bawling there at thirteen.
Speaker 3: The fourteenth ranked team is the Buccaneers.
Speaker 2: The Seahawks score a big win in the Bay Area against the Niners. They are the fifteenth ranked team in San Francisco, sitting at sixteen. This is a Charger squad abou a twenty one point halftime lead. I felt like this thing was over. Cincinnati makes the run. They still figure out a way to get a win. I think there's something to be said for it. And I know people are throwing out, hey, not the same old Chargers there, but I think there's something to it. I don't know if this squad, after blowing a lead like that in previous seasons, would have had the mental fortitude to come back and win.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I mean, tell me you didn't watch that game and immediately think of the Jackson playoff game, right. I understand it's a different coaching staff, and that obviously makes a big difference I think. I mean, even if Jim Harbaugh had that glazed look on his face at times in the second half, they found a way. They were tough. I mean, justin Herbert I think was like five for eighteen at one point in the second half, missed some big throws, and then found lab McConkey for the two big plays late. That ultimately was the difference. I mean, obviously Cincinnati not being able to convert. You know, this has been a very very good Chargers defense all season long. They've kept point totals down. They hadn't allowed more than twenty points in the game all season. They allowed twenty one in about an eight minute stretch there in the second half, so there are some questions with that secondary the pass rush didn't always get home. But still, as you said, I think there is just a different attitude, a different belief there now that they aren't the butt of the joke anymore. They can go out and win these types of games. So big statement with Ravens next week, Chiefs in a couple of weeks. They've got some tougher tests up ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll talk Cincinnati coming up in just a bit. By the way, during the game broadcast, you mentioned some of the numbers for Herbert. I couldn't believe it, and if I'm misquoting him, totally my bad. But I thought Mike Tarico said there was a zero for seven stretch for Justin Herbert, which was the longest incompletion stretch of his career. Just have that resonate in your mind for just a moment. That's how Goodt's been in is pretty good career. Yeah, terrific. Texans went on Monday night football lopsided win.
Speaker 3: Here.
Speaker 2: Is there a team in the AFC playoff picture that would be scared of them?
Speaker 4: Though? Fair question, good question, Yeah, I don't know that there is. You know, you look at the Chargers if they end up facing off as a as a five to four matchup, or the Ravens. I don't think either one of those teams is going into Houston scared. I mean, you saw Monday night. Obviously the score indicated a kind of a lopset of victory, as you said, but you know, Nico Tuck Collins's touchdown gets pulled off the board on the first play of the game because of penalty, and it kind of, you know, emblematic of the entire game. Right there was some some promising stuff. Collins was back, Joe Mixon was terrific, Stroud kind of settled down after the early pick, but also several steps back as well, penalties, mental airs, things like that. They got a defensive touchdown that kind of bumped up the score a little bit, and credit goes to that defense. I mean, Daniel Hunter was great, you know, I mean the you know, the strip and score from Derek Barnett outstanding, Derek Stingley and Age great. But let's also point out the fact that other mixing, they didn't have a whole lot of consistent offensive you know, firepower if you will. So I do have a little bit of worry about them finishing drives and are they gonna play this well defensively every week? I'm not so sure. It was a backup quarterback in Dallas, So still those questions exist. They remain the massive favorite to win the AFC or South, I should say, and get that home game. But to your point, I don't know anyone's gonna be going in there really scared about facing them at this point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's still some more.
Speaker 2: There are more questions and answers right now around this Houston squad, especially on the offensive side. Still a positive. I'd rather have some of those teaching moments with a win. Nico Collins coming back obviously should be a huge boost. We did see him flash yesterday in that win or Monday night, I should say against the Cowboys. The one team you could make in argument of the question that I had and you and I were talking off air about this is the Broncos squad maybe in that postseason mixed not scaring teams, but the way bo Knicks is playing, Like I get what we're seeing at the top of that quarterback class with Caleb and Jadan Daniels.
Speaker 3: Bo Nicks, Let's not forget he kind of fell a little bit.
Speaker 2: He's balling right now and the Broncos are winning some football games.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, one of the first rookies to complete eighty percent of his passes, throw for more than three hundred yards career high on Sunday, and also have four more touchdowns of a single game. Actually he's the only one to ever do that. But it was a lot of his own defense from Atlanta. He took the reads that were there. Sean Payton's play calling certainly helped bo Nicks out a lot in that game. But you know, when he had the few opportunities to create, he made plays too. So you see him kind of letting that leash out Peyton. You know, they have this interesting relationship, a little of tough love but also an appreciation from Peyton talking about the maturity and the poise that Nicks has shown and the toughness. So he's a running factor. He's thrown the ball accurately, he dissects zones like he's back in college. I was very impressed, and that Denver d holds up too, So they've been great. I'm not saying it's a Super Bowl caliber club, but I do think it is the kind of club that, like you said, that was a Texans Broncos type of matchup in round one. They could go in there and give him a darn good game and possibly come out with a win. So really good progress. From the start of last season until now, Sean Payton has done an excellent job. I think.
Speaker 3: I don't want to speak for you, I'll just speak for myself.
Speaker 2: I didn't see this happening Like Bonick's great, he could ball a ton of experience if even if he was playing well. I didn't see a turnaround like this, especially if you look at what this Broncos team looked like on the football field a season ago. There was a lot of questions around this team. So major respect hat tip to Sean Payton and what that organization is doing. Time for power moves. Sitting at number fifteen, it's the Seattle Seahawks eric who move up two spots. They get an Arizona squad. Speaking of things that I didn't see happening, going on the road, beating the San Francisco forty nine ers in the Bay Area. That's a big time win, and all of a sudden, this division looks as wonky as ever.
Speaker 4: Sure does. One through four I mean it's sort of almost where we thought the the NFC North was a month ago er, but it's not quite as powerful on top. You know, San Francisco's had a disappointing season. Seahawks started three and oh then fell back. But when you see a game like this and the way it played out, you know, San Francisco had every opportunity to win it. The Seahawks dug in found a way great last drive. Gino finishes it off. You know, he's been through so much up there, the ebbs and flows, the ups and downs. Now a coaching changes past season, but you know, really got to admire what he can do at the end of a game after he's taken a lot of hits and had some some disappointments. So again, like you said, we kind of write them off, push them out of the picture a little bit. They find their way to wedge back in. It wasn't pretty on either side of the ball, But you got to give the Seahawks their kudos. They're actually small favorites against the Cardinals, who've been you know, terrific this season, played a tough schedule, but yeah, they got a lot of work to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's see how that one shakes out.
Speaker 2: I think for both of these teams, because Arizona is one of those squads that I'm sitting here going all right, like I'm believing in it. But to get this one against Seattle really gives them a leg up inside that division. But we're in the second half of the bottom half, I should say the rankings.
Speaker 3: And Eric, there are two teams that are lurking.
Speaker 2: Right now that truly believe they have a run in the postseason in them.
Speaker 3: We'll tell you who those squads are. It's coming up next on Power Rankings.
Speaker 2: Back here on Power Rankings Team seventeen through twenty four, the Falcons dropped three spots to seventeen thirty eight to six.
Speaker 3: I won't actually read.
Speaker 2: What I have in my notes regarding that finish, not necessarily appropriate for this show. And number eighteen that's the Miami Dolphins, still hopes alive for the postseason. They were one of those teams that I was alluding to that feels like, hey, maybe there's a run here. They look like the old Miami Dolphins. Over the weekend, the Rams the road win, They're sitting at five hundred.
Speaker 3: They move up two spots.
Speaker 4: The Colts.
Speaker 2: How about Anthony richardson coming alive against the Jets.
Speaker 3: There's some news.
Speaker 2: Surrounding Ganggreen in just a moment. Cincinnati, they drop three spots. They are at four and seven. I'm not totally ready to put a fork in them, Eric, I don't know if you are. The Chicago Bears also dropped three spots. The Saints once again looking like they have some signs of life in that offense. They are twenty three and Joe Douglas, the general manager of the New York Jets, has been fired. So Slagan Joe Douglas is gone, and major questions this offseason about the direction of this organization. Let's focus in on this RAM squad. They move up to two spots. We talked about their opponent against Philadelphia that they have on Sunday Night Football. They've won four out of five here, Eric, to me, they're frigging dangerous. Like this team is legitimate and when they are healthy, as good as any in the NFC.
Speaker 4: I think we'll look back on that Dolphins loss and say it was a big missed opportunity for me, Because I think you're right. For the most part, they have looked really good, you know, we've seen Nakua come back. You had the diving touchdown last week, and then they pulled Kolbe Parkinsonata mouthballs and Stafford throws them an absolutely beautiful touchdown. It was really about the passing game in this one New England secondary. I had no idea how to handle Kupp and Nakua and all the other weapons. Very impressive. Stafford looked, you know, it was kind of back to his gun slinging ways. Look very comfortable back there. No worry about the pass rush. So those issues have kind of gone by the wayside. You know, this Rams defense, it's it's an emerging group, but still one that it's prone to some setbacks and they let New England kind of hang around. You know, Drake may had the ball with a chance to win it at the end, they get the late pick to hold on. I'm curious they did, you know, kind of pass up the field goal. Are they worried about Cardi the kicker? I don't know, But like you said, dangerous team. On the right day, they can beat almost anybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mothballs, that's still a thing.
Speaker 4: I see it in the store. I don't know if I ever buy it though, you know, yeah.
Speaker 2: I haven't bought it. It's like it's always like a Grandma thing in my mind. I just maybe I'm not alone, or maybe I am on that one. The Cincinnati Bengals. You know, I've been high on this team. I've been a supporter of them making the postseason. They lose again, is there an argument?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean, look, I think they're about under ten percent in the you know NFL the next Gen stats playoff percentages. There's just a real tough stretch right here. The best they can finish just ten and seven kind of requires them obviously running the table, but also kind of pulling off some upsets. Two games left against the Steelers. I mean, it's not dead, but certainly on life support right now. You could see how unhappy everybody was in that sideline prior to the comeback, and it didn't end the right way. I mean, they were in great position twelve minutes to go, all the momentum on their side, couldn't pull it off. It just feels like there's always one or two critical mistakes in each of these losses that really fell them at the wrong time. So, you know, even with Josh Norman playing well in the secondary, I think there's some issues back there that they may not be able to clean up this season.
Speaker 2: There is I'm looking at their schedule right now, there is a chunk of games that are gettable.
Speaker 3: I'm just throwing that out there.
Speaker 2: They have the buy Steelers is not necessarily one of those teams. Cowboys are free falling, Titans aren't necessarily a good team. Browns, I get it in the division, but not world beaters. And then it's Broncos and Steelers. So I'm not saying it's an impossible schedule. But if we see the defense play like it did in the second half against the Chargers, feel confident about that offense, maybe they can run the table. Still once again, this is going to be an uphill battle for them.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, teams twenty five through.
Speaker 2: Thirty two, as I made reference to the Dallas Cowboys, a little bit of a tough deal, and then no change across the board. You got the Cleveland Browns at twenty six, the New England Patriots at twenty seven, the Carolina Panthers probably still feeling themselves after that win in Munich at twenty eight, the Giants making some news we'll get to in just a moment, and then your bottom three teams, the Titans, the Raiders.
Speaker 3: And the Jags.
Speaker 2: My god, that Jaggs roster to sit there at thirty two. I know we talked about it last week. Still shocking to me, but Tommy cutlet's let's go for the g men. Daniel Jones gonna be your third string quarterback. There's some contracts issues there, which is why we're going down that path here. But what does the quarterback change actually mean for New York?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess it'll just sort of give opponents a different look and hopefully energize the team like de Vito did last season for a brief spell. Took too many sacks and went back to the bench eventually, but you know, did light a fire under this team, and they clearly don't think Drew Locke can do it, so they keep talking about football decisions. I understand that applies to Jones. It probably applies to de Vito too, but clearly this is a you know, a coach in the front office that feels like it needs to win games down the stretch to feel comfortable about their situation heading into the offseason.
Speaker 2: I had posted this on Twitter and Blue Sky. Yes I'm there as well, I can't. And this is before the Joe Douglas firing, Right Football New York is done. I mean we're thinking about the draft. I'm a Giants fan. I've talked about it on the show, Eric, like I'm thinking about what quarterback they're going to be taken in next year's class. Yep, that's the point that we're at.
Speaker 3: It's where we're at some week of football. Eric, you're the best man.
Speaker 2: Always appreciate your time and going through teams one through thirty two.
Speaker 1: NFL Power Rankings is a production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.