Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what with the Hall of Famer My dad, Tim Kirchen. I am Jeff Kirchen, and welcome to another episode dat. I want to make sure everybody who's listening right now took the time to listen to Steve Sparks yesterday. He was so great that I edit the podcast right, and I listened to it basically two times after.
Speaker 2: Just living it.
Speaker 1: And I listen to it on my way home from work, which I rarely do because I've already listened.
Speaker 2: To it twice. Right, no need to go on the stream. It's that good. I had to listen back to it. Dad, Right, hilariously funny, incredibly insightful and a steam head of all seam heads. And he's a former player. Amazing, amazing.
Speaker 1: We have a Hall of Fame baseball pitcher gonna be joining us next week, next Wednesday, so keep your eyes out for that and Debt it is officially.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be May you know what I mean? You get by justin Timberlake reference there, of course not what does that mean? Is that one of his favorite songs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's It's gonna be me. It's an in synct reference. But the way he says it. It sounds like it's gonna be May.
Speaker 2: So it's like a meme. So it's May the first.
Speaker 1: And falling on Jaffiers here, it's May the first.
Speaker 3: And yeah, yes, when you bring up Mordecai three finger Brown, I give you the same reaction.
Speaker 2: Don't worry. We both have our strengths and weaknesses. I'm a di.
Speaker 3: Wire and you're great at feeding the dogs. I know music, you know baseball. This is what makes our podcast great. No stress about it.
Speaker 2: Correct anyway, one month of the baseball season, another month, I should say, is in the books, right, But more important, Jeff, we are taping this today on your three year wedding anniversary. Yeah to Emily, and in that time you've had the most beautiful little girl McKinley Hope. I am so proud of you with everything that you've done and it is you sent out a little video to our family this morning. It was a little video to McKinley saying this is what our lives have been like for the first three years. It just brought a tear to my eye. It was so good. I'm just so sorry, Jeff that I couldn't be there that day three years ago. I'm sorry. Yeah, right, you were at the bar having a great time at my wedding. That was a tremendous wedding. We had a tremendous time. Now what is your I know your plan, but tell everyone what your plan is for your anniversary night with Emily. Well, yeah, you know my wife Emily.
Speaker 1: She said, the number one thing I want to do for our anniversary is for you to record a podcast with your So.
Speaker 2: We're doing it. No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: Actually we're headed to the airport because we're going to go back to Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: For those who don't know, I lived in Vegas for five years.
Speaker 1: My wife was born and raised in Las Vegas, and her parents still live out there.
Speaker 2: So we're doing kind of.
Speaker 1: An extended weekend trip to Las Vegas where we did get married and no, Elvis did not perform the wedding ceremony.
Speaker 2: But we're going to be there.
Speaker 1: We're going to be in her parents pool with McKinley, our daughter, and just kind of kicking it.
Speaker 2: Taking a couple days off.
Speaker 1: So after when you're hearing this podcast on May the first, I am going to be in a pool in Las Vegas.
Speaker 2: It's going to be incredible. I can't wait to get a little time away. Well, that's great, job. I remember our third anniversary. It wasn't quite as good. I remember taking your mom out to my favorite restaurant and I really just wanted to whine and dine her at my favorite place. And it was a complete disaster. I dropped my tray. They had to come in and clean up everything. It was just awful.
Speaker 1: If you went to a place with a tray, Dad, it can't be that great.
Speaker 2: It was a joke, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Hey, what was the place your dad, my grandfather, the original Jeff kershon?
Speaker 2: Pop? What what was the flaming the flaming flaming pit? But what was the old country buffet? Face? The other place? Right?
Speaker 1: I remember growing up going there with that and Pop thinking this was like fine dining, right, you're a kid.
Speaker 2: It was like they have everything right. It was those were the days. So I'm sorry you don't get like a luxurious meal out tonight, Jeff. But you're going to see Emily's parents, and that's that's more important than anything. So I'm all kidding aside, Jeff. I'm really really happy for you on such a great day, and I'm just so proud of you and Emily and McKinley. Ho so can't wait to see you in person again.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Dad, I appreciate that and all kidding aside as well, I've googled, and I'm not being silly, I've googled restaurants inside Philadelphia International air Airport to find, Like you know, it's always that one restaurant you're like, oh, we're not gonna eat there, it's a little too nice or whatever. We're not gonna go get a steak dinner at the airport, but we want to go to a place with a nicer bar and a place to sit down. We're actually gonna go to the airport earlier than normal, so like a time that you would usually get there, right, We're gonna.
Speaker 2: Go there and actually eat dinner.
Speaker 1: So we'll get there three hours before the flight, but totally on purpose, not like you where it's it has to be done for every domestic flight.
Speaker 2: Dad. Thank you so much for bringing it up.
Speaker 1: But let's dive headfirst into the takeaways.
Speaker 2: What's going on. Well, it was a great month of April, March and April. As I've said multiple times on the podcast, Jeff, it's been as unpredictable. A first five weeks of the season. I think I can ever remember so many crazy, quirky, ridiculous, beautiful things have happened so far. Just another reminder of why we're doing the show, and now why we're doing it three days a week. Is amazing. Stuff happens every day if you're paying attention. And maybe the most amazing part of April was Aaron Judge. Aaron Judge has played in through this is now through Tuesday because we have to update because you're traveling tonight through Tuesday, played thirty games and he'd reach base sixty nine times in thirty games, so the last the only other Yankee to reach that many times through thirty games was Luke Garrigg, who reached seventy one times in nineteen thirty one. This is what Aaron Judge is doing following a season that was arguably the greatest season ever by a right handed hitter, and he's he's even better this year if that is possible. And he just hit home run number three twenty four of his career, passing Ted Williams on the list of most homer's first ten seasons and tying Frank Robinson on that list. I mean, these are enormous names in the game, and this is what Aaron this is what Aaron Judge is doing on a daily basis. I just hope everyone who's watching is understanding what they're watching, because he is setting records virtually every day. It's amazing.
Speaker 1: I saw dad, and I want to confirm this. If he struck out his next seventy at bats, he would still be above like the league average.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jeff, it's if you start playing with the numbers, they're really really scary. I mean, the league is hitting you like two thirty nine major leagues and he's hitting over four hundred, and he's doing it with power, and he's doing it with extra base hits and when he doesn't get a head, he walks. It's really been breathtaking to watch him the first month of the season. On a different note, what I love so much about baseball is how the light goes on at certain times with certain players and you look at what Carson Kelly my favorite name. My first daughter's name is Kelly. My first grandson's name is Carson Carson Kelly. He's thirty years old. He's in his tenth major league season. He came into this year with a six eighty one OPS and through Tuesday is OPS was one point four one five. The light went on. He's now He had fourth for the Cubs the other day and the Cubs have a really, really good lineup. He has played in sixteen games this year and has seven homers. The last Cub catcher to hit more homers than that in their first sixteen games was Gabby Hartin and Hall of Famer in nineteen twenty five. That's what Carson Kelly has done. And he's one of million standouts in the month of April because we didn't see this coming from him, but something's happened. This doesn't happen in the NBA JEF where suddenly somebody is the best three point shooter in the league. Well, this guy is certainly on the list, and he's had an amazingly productive month of April. It has really been fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's not a lot of Lynn sanity moments that we have right like when Jeremy Lynn just took the league by storm.
Speaker 2: We don't have those anymore. Right By the way, Missy Matha, one of our producers at ESPN many years ago, did a little Jeremy Lynn demonstration on the court on the outdoor court at ESPN, and Bruce Bowen, one of our analysts at the time, was trying to show everyone how you have to guard Jeremy Lynn in order to slow him down. So in order to have somebody be Jeremy Lynn, I was Jeremy Lynn for an afternoon at ESPN, dribbling the ball up the court so Bruce Bowen could show everyone this is how you guard Jeremy Lynn. It was It was a highlight for me. It was really really fun and really cool that I got picked to do this. All I had to do is dribble the ball up the court, put it between my legs a couple of times. It was hilarious. Dad.
Speaker 1: Usually they would get like an intern on the campus, Hey, you're gonna be Jeremy Lynn.
Speaker 2: But they got the fifty plus year old at the time right baseball analysts to do it, and it was one of your prouder moments of your career.
Speaker 1: Hey, a lot of people, I know you don't like social media, but a lot of people when that video drops it, Hey, Tim can handle, which we know I'm.
Speaker 2: Not like talking about your not the point. I can handle I was about a foot shorter than Jeremy Lynn, so Bruce Bowen was guarding the guy who's like four foot seven. I know that's how you guard him. You just put your hands up. You can't go anywhere, all right, Carson Kelly, we talked about the light going on, and the light still hasn't gone on for the poor Rockies. And again, Jeff, I take no pleasure in speaking about this because I covered the eight to eight Oriols that lost twenty one games in a row, and the game is unhealthy when a team is that bad, and the poor Rockies were four and twenty five, Jeff. They got to April with already two different eight game losing streaks, and to my astonishment, two other teams have done that in this century two and three Tigers, which I remember, and the twenty sixteen Braves had two eight game losing streaks before we got to the month of May. Incredible.
Speaker 1: I was really excited, but I couldn't make the stretch. They're playing the Braves, well, they Wednesday night, so we're recording Wednesday day and Chris Sale is pitching against the starting pitcher for is Chase Dolander, right, And when I first saw the name. That's how you pronounce it. I was hoping you could swing it to dollarder sale dollar.
Speaker 2: But it's not gonna work.
Speaker 1: I'm so desperate to find one that you don't see. And I think it needs to be like a Lively and a Swift because then you wouldn't really pick up on Taylor Swift and Blake Lively drama.
Speaker 2: But I don't know, I would have never come up on, Jeff. Just keep trying. Okay, The day you stumped me on one of those is probably the worst day of your whole life. It means I have corrupted you so badly that now you're looking at the box scores in the completely wrong way. You're trying to match up names instead of looking at who did what and what all of this means.
Speaker 1: And the problem is now I get really frustrated because I work days ahead, and when a team is undecided on their starting pitcher, I just throw my hands.
Speaker 2: Up, like, how am I supposed to work? If you don't tell you the starting matchup is gonna be, you get really upset about that? Is that is beautiful? Jeff? Okay, again, another takeaway from a the strikeout rate as we know is completely out of control, as it has been for fifteen years. We're going to break the record again this year for strikeouts, and let's be clear, Jeff, part of that reason is this is the hardest hitting environment in baseball history. I believe that the stuff that pitchers have today is just so unbelievably good. The velocity, the secondary stuff, the movement. It's just absurd. I say it every night. I don't know how anyone gets a hit in the big leagues anymore, that's how good the pitching has been. But having said that, Jeff, three different players Michael Taglia, Ryan McMahon and Brian Reynolds through Tuesday had already struck out forty times in a season, and another half dozen guys are maybe going to get to forty before we get to May, depending on what happens in Wednesday's games. Forty strikeouts, Jeff, before we get to May. And again, different time, different players, different understand But Joe, I mean Tony Gwinn's biggest strikeout season was forty, Joe DiMaggio's was thirty nine, Yogi Bears was thirty eight, and we will have almost twenty different players striking out thirty or more time, thirty eight or more times before we get to May. That's the strikeout rate that we're seeing. Well, I have a little bit of a strikeout takeaway. Tuesday night, the Cubs played the Pirates and didn't strike out the entire game for the first time since twenty thirteen against the Athletics. Right again, when you see a zero strikeout game by it's either team, it's it just leaps off to pay Jeff, what, let's see how well you've been listening to old pop up all these years?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: What is the most famous, least one that we know zero strikeout game by both teams in Major League history? Don't look it up? Yes, okay, it's a famous game, Jeff, Yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 1: It's a Game seven, say yes, Pirate, yes, Game seven?
Speaker 2: Yes, the World Series, Yes, in nineteen nineteen sixty sixty. Right, Well, why did we talk about that a couple of weeks ago? What was the You have a guest that was related to that? Is Roberto Clementi's name came up, Bill Mazeroski's name came up. That was it. It was Bill Mazeroski. Jeff, you're really getting good at this. I'm so proud of you now last one, Jeff on the takeaways, I'm stealing from Greg Colly, our baseball producer at Baseball Tonight and everything else. So Tim Tawas is now the second baseman for the Diamondbacks because of injuries, could tell Marte. So Greg insists that Tim Tawa has to get traded at some point in his career to the Red Sox. Do you understand that just in case he hits a home run that he you will have light tower power? Right?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Do you get it? Is that really bad? Should I? Should I be crediting Greg Colly with this? Or is this not? It's great? It's beautiful power power power power up only in Boston. And let's be clear, my father grew up in Watertown. So I know that accent very well because every relative I have used to say pack your car and the haveit. Yeah, so I know all about it. Right.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of Kirkchans in Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: In Boston, there's a lot of Armenians. They're all Armenians. All the Kirkchins are Armenians. Right. If it ends with I an, We'll see you in Watertown. Yeah, they say absolutely, all right, Dad? What about any quirkchins you have. There were many this week, of course, And so Brandon Nimo knocked in nine runs in one game for the Mets. That tied the club record for RBIs in one game by a Met. He had a one ninety two batting average going into the game, So that's the lowest batting average in the history of baseball of anyone who went on to drive in nine runs in that game. Okay, he also drove in nine runs from the sixth inning on, so he and Mike Mustakas twenty fifteen are the only players ever to have a nine RBI game with zero RBIs before the sixth inning. He had nine RBIs in a three inning stretch, and only he's one of only three players that have ever done that. Think about driving in nine runs in three innings, which means he drove in as many runs nine in three innings as Shohotani had for the season. Shoeotani had nine RBIs going into that game, and Brandon Nimmo had nine RBIs in three innings. What does this prove, Jeff? It proves the beauty of baseball that if you watch it closely, it will just make you slap your forehead on a daily basis. So the other thing, the Yankees have been setting home run records for the entire month of April. So, h Tuesday Night, the first three batters in the lineup all hit home runs. That's the second time in the month of April that the Yankees did that. So they're the only team in history to do that twice in the same season. The first three batters of the game hit a homer, and they did it before we even got to May, and they did it in the same month. It's unbelievable. And they hit four homers in that inning. So they're the only team in baseball that has ever had two four home run first innings in any season, and they did it before the month of May. And this is so interesting. Aaron Judge, of course, was part of these back to back to back home runs in the first inning twice. And the only other guy that I know that did that ever was JJ Hardy, who I told you about. He did it as a member of the Brewers. First three guys in the order hit homers. JJ Hardy was one of them. Went to the Orioles and in one game, first three batters for the Orioles hit home runs. JJ Hardy was one of them. So, you know, home runs in the first thing. The Yankees have done it at a historic pace so far.
Speaker 1: I'll edit him, but Aaron Boom was right when he said, my guys are savages.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you he was absolutely right. Okay, from home runs to triples, Jeff, Mike Trout hit his fifty fifth triple the other day, so that tied Starling Marte for the most triples among active players. So just to show you that the triple has essentially disappeared going into this season, fifty five triples was the most Starling Marte among active players. That is the lowest mark of any season in Major League history. No season has ever started with the career triples leader having only fifty five triples. The last time before this decade that anyone had, you know, like, fewer than seventy triples and was the triples leader was Harry Stovey in eighteen eighty five. He had sixty four triples. So again, Jeff, this just shows the triple has been replaced by the home run. I've told you, Babe, Ruth had one hundred and thirty six triples. Right now, the active leader is Mike Trout and Starlinge Marte with fifty five. Does that amaze you or not?
Speaker 1: What also amazes me, Dad, is baseball seems to be the only sport that you can't just say eighty five, right, Yeah, in eighty five, I would have to ask in eighteen or nineteen.
Speaker 2: Jeff, because that's the beauty of the sport baseball. As I've said many times, it's the only sport where the modern era is defined as nineteen hundred on. That's the modern era. That's unbelievable. And that's why you made this your life's work because it makes you feel young. Yes, you spent your entire career and life in the modern era, and I'm proud of you. Lastly, Jose Urina got a save for the Mets the other day. He gave up five runs and got a save. Jeff, think about that for a second. How do you get a save when you give up five runs in a game? Well, if you pitch the last three innings of a game, no matter what the score is, and it says if you pitch effectively, you can be credited with a save. So I went back to try to find the last guy to give up five runs in a game and get the save, and Cooper Chriswell of the Red Sox did that this year on April to sixth, So it wasn't quite as rare as I thought it would be. And then interesting, the day after Urania got the save, he was designated for assignment. He was essentially cut after recording a save in which he gave up five runs. That is pretty weird and pretty hard to.
Speaker 1: Do on this date in baseball history, Dad nay the first what do you have for us?
Speaker 2: Well, it was a really big day in baseball history because this was the date that Ricky Henderson broke Lou Brock's stolen base record. Ricky, of course, is one of the at least fifteen best players of all time, greatest bass dealer ever not a close second, and the greatest leadoff man of all time. So let's make sure we understand who we're talking about with Ricky Henderson. So he and Lou Brock, as I've told you, Jeff became really good friends, and Lou and Ricky combined to write a little note, little letter that Ricky was going to read after he broke Lou Garrety lou Brock's record. So he steals third that day at the Oakland Coliseum, and when he gets the third, Ricky is so caught up in the emotion as he should have been. He pulls third base out of the ground, holds it over his head and said, today I am the greatest of all time and he and lou Brock is looking at him because the game begins again, and Luke calls him after the game and said, Ricky, what about the letter we wrote? And Ricky said it was in his back pocket and he said, sorry, I forgot to read it, which was just a shame. So I yeah, I just think we all need to understand how great Ricky was. And it's just so touching that he and lou Brock became such good friends even while Ricky was in the process of breaking lou Brock's record.
Speaker 1: I think it's so important too, because you know, you see like Wayne Gretzky passing the puck off, so to speak to Alex Ovechkin, and you know, obviously Lou Garrigg was not around when cal Ripkin broke his record, But to have respect for somebody who breaks your record, that is so important for what sport is all about. I think it's really really cool.
Speaker 2: Right, And also on this date in nineteen ninety one, same day, Nolan Ryan pitched his seventh and final no hitter. Remember, no one else has ever come close to seven no hitters, and he did it at age forty four. So after the game, a bunch of friends and family were lined up waiting to congratulate him, and he came out into the hall and he told the assembled friends and family, I'll be out a little bit later. I got to ride the exercise bike first. So, at age forty four, he threw his seventh no hitter, and he got on the exercise bike for forty five minutes and made everybody wait because the work always came first for Nolan Ryan. So when you wonder why he's the hardest pitcher to hit in Major League history and the greatest power pitcher of all time, that story tells it all. Nolan, as I told you before, Jeff, one of the most beloved player in Major League history. And we once asked Rance Malinix of the Blue Jays years ago, because everyone loved Nolan Ryan. Someone asked Rance Malinix once, what would the world be like if everyone was Nolan Ryan? Rants Mallanicks said, everyone would love each other and no one would get a hit. And that's who Nolan Ryan is. Jeff coming up next here on is this a great game?
Speaker 1: Or what the greatest players to wear number eleven and number twelve. That's from Ozzie to Oral, the greatest Houston astro of all time. Another I am a steam head. And then, Dad, you said you've queued up a team ten that I do not know anything about. I am not informed, so I cannot condone what comes.
Speaker 2: Out of my father's mouth. But we'll find out what it is. Coming up next.
Speaker 3: Jumping right in, Dad, from Ozzie to Oral, the best players at each number, and we are to number eleven.
Speaker 2: This was not easy, Jeff. Carl Hubble War number eleven, Edgar Martinez Hall of Famer, like Carl Hubble War number eleven. But I am going with Barry Larkin importantly because he was a shortstop as opposed to Edgar Martinez, who I love, one of the greatest hitters I've ever seen. But Barry Larkin did it on both sides of the ball. He won three Gold Gloves, he made twelve ball Star teams, he won an MVP, he had a War of seventy point five, which is pretty darn good for a shortstop. Two ninety five lifetime hitter, stole three hundred and seventy nine bases ops of eight point fifteen. One of the great athletes ever to play shortstop in the big leagues. Remember Jeff, he was a great defensive back in high school and he could have played football at Michigan, but he ended up playing baseball and made a Hall of Fame career out of it. So I'm going with him as my greatest number eleven.
Speaker 1: I love it, Dad, From Ozzie to Oral, Who's the best player to wear number twelve?
Speaker 2: Right? I think this is relatively easy, With all due respect, it's Roberto Alomar, three hundred lifetime hitter, two hundred ten homers, eleven hundred and thirty four RBIs, four hundred and seventy four stolen bases, and Jeff. He was the best player on two championship teams for the Blue Jays, the team that repeated ninety two to ninety three. He was their best player on those teams. I think he's the best defensive second baseman that I've ever seen. Now again, Bill Mazerowski holds all the records, and I didn't see Bill Mazerowski well enough, but when it came to throwing arm range everything, I'm not sure I've ever seen a second basement. Defensively, who was better than Roberto Alamar And I went to do a story on it once, Jeff he had a great sense of humor, so I went to Puerto Rico for Sports Illustrated to do a story on him when he signed a huge contract to go to the Or. So we go to lunch at TGI Fridays in Puerto Rico, okay, and it's a very leisurely lunch and he's dressed in a sweatsuit, as he should be. So we walk out of TGI Fridays in Puerto Rico, which of course is Roberto Alomar's home country, and we're standing there and a lady comes up to him and gives her gives him her valet ticket and says, can you go pick up my car? She thought he was parking cars at TGI Fridays. It was the funniest thing. He laughed out loud, and before he explained to her. He explained to her, I'm not a valet, I don't work here, And after she left, He looked at me and he said, I could buy this entire chain of restaurants if I water, because he had just signed this enormous contract. It was just a beautiful look into Roberto Alomar, who was an amazingly good player.
Speaker 1: The polo I'm wearing right now, Dad, this red polo. I was wearing it once with khaki pants inside of a target, right twice. Someone came up and asked for where twice. Yeah, it's swear understandable. Gotta be careful. Red with khaki in a target, don't even think about it. It's like blue with khaki and a best buy. What are you doing to yourself? You're just asking for it?
Speaker 2: Got it all right, Dad?
Speaker 1: I think the best of all Tim this week needs to be the Houston Astros, given who our amazing guest was yesterday, Steve Sparks.
Speaker 2: Steve Sparks, of course, is the radio color broadcaster on the Astros games, and if you're driving along listening to games on XM Radio, please tune in and listen to him and Robert Ford's great by play guy. They are great. He is so good. So yes, we're doing the best of all Tim. The best player in the history of each franchise. We're picking the Houston Astros this week, and this was not easy either because Craig Bigio is in this group very very close to the top. But I'm going with Jeff Bagwell instead played his entire career like Bigio did for the Astros lifetime two ninety seven hit or four hundred and forty nine homers, fifteen hundred and twenty nine RBIs ops Jeff of nine to forty eight. Jeff, he scored fifteen hundred runs and drove in fifteen hundred runs. That is really hard to do. He's a Gold Glove first baseman. He won an MVP, of course, he won a Rookie of the Year. And he was a great soccer player Jeff in college and he was one of the best base runners in the game, not because he was one of the fastest guys on the field, but he was such a great base runner because he had such great feet. So all you young people we talk about all the time. One reason Jeff Bagwell was such a great baseball player is he was a great soccer player at the University of Hartford. And you could make a case. You certainly can make a case Bagwell's one of the ten best first basement of all time, but others will tell you he's one of the five or six best first basement of all time. That's how good Jeff Bagwell was. And for me, he's the greatest Houston astro ever.
Speaker 1: You know, one of these weeks that I'm gonna do an all jefft team.
Speaker 2: I already know.
Speaker 1: I got Bagwell and Ken first and second base, and I'm just gonna rifle through them one of these days, the all jeft team, because I think it'd be I think, do you think, right off the top of your head, with the all Jeff team beat the All Tim team.
Speaker 2: We need to get our friends at Stratamatic on this. That's a really good question.
Speaker 1: First name Tim or Timothy, first name Jeffer, Jeffrey, two different teams, one game, maybe maybe even a five game series we'll do. I want to put this, I want to put a pin in this, Okay, And I think that would be really really fun.
Speaker 2: To do with your all Tim team.
Speaker 1: I'll come up with my all Jeff team and we'll go back to our friends at Stratamatic and have them run it and see which team is better.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll do that for next week. And Jeff, you are becoming a steam head right in front of my eyes, And couldn't be prouder that my son is starting to ask these questions. What's the all Jeff team? What's the all Tim team? All right, we'll do that for next week.
Speaker 1: Okay, prouder or disappointed that I'm stooping down to your level either.
Speaker 2: Or I've corrupted you. Jeff. I'm sorry. I feel like I've corrupted some of our listeners and our viewers also. But it's a good corruption, Jeff, when you have a little bit of fun with a beautiful game like this. This is why we're on the air, Jeff, this is why we're doing this, to make sure that people understand what a wonderful, beautiful game this is dead.
Speaker 1: Speaking of steam heads, I am a seam head our new segment.
Speaker 2: If you want to submit a submission, all you got to do is.
Speaker 1: Email me Jeff at Great Game or dot com, send me a voice memo. Third to forty seconds, end it with I'm Jeff Kirchen and I am a seamhead.
Speaker 2: Obviously your own name, but explaining in that first part what makes you a seamhead? Dad?
Speaker 1: Today, Joey Malik, I have to say, Joey Malick sent you a bit of a seam heead moment back in two thousand and nine to the Baseball Tonight program, and he is now sharing that with us. He said, you ended up sharing this on the air before we get to it, though, Dad, he said, last week you had David Firstman on for the segment like me. David is a professional scrabble player.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, okay.
Speaker 1: And he had noted that David, or excuse me, he had noted that Dustin Aclee had twelve letters in his name, twelve different letters. While impressive, he came up with Buck Showalter has thirteen. And he adds that his favorite shortest word in the English language containing all the letters in Yankees is moneymakers. Really, so the shortest word in the English language that you can spell Yankees.
Speaker 2: Out of is money maker. So pretty neat.
Speaker 1: So he added all of that to the email Dad, And he also funny fact his dad went to high school with Carl Ravitschit's dad.
Speaker 2: Really, Jeff, I keep telling you one of the beauties of baseball is there are connections all over the place, do you know? I asked people all the time. Do you know this guy?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I played with him in winter Ball. Oh I played with him in Bakersfield. So you're telling me Buck Showalter, who I spoke with yesterday, has more letters in his last name without a repeating letter than anyone. Is that what you're telling me? Now?
Speaker 1: I believe it is in his first and last name, Buck Showalter, thirteen letters the most without repeating.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna call Buck and tell him that because yesterday he and and I had the stupidest conversation ever. Now, Jeff, I need to share this with you. Okay. It's a pet peeve of mine. And I was slapped on the wrist the other day at Baseball Tonight. Okay, I do not understand when the trainer goes to the mound to check on the pitcher who is injured, we call him the athletic trainer. I mean, seriously, Jeff, what else is he he's what? Is he a dog trainer, an elephant trainer? Of course, he's an athletic trainer. And I think it's redundant. So when I brought this up to the assemble guys of Baseball Tonight off camera the other day, our boy Bushy there, who is one of the producers on the show. He said, my dad is an athletic trainer, and he is offended. If you just say a trainer goes to the mound, you have to call him an athletic trainer. So I was corrected on this, and that's okay. I needed to learn. I just don't think you send a personal trainer to the mound and say I think we need to do some lunges before you make this next pitch. I still think you just send the trainer to the mound. That's how I always referred to that guy who went to the mound to make sure the pitcher's all right. Is the trainer? Well, now I stand corrected. He is the athletic trainer. Well, good to know. Good to know.
Speaker 1: Along with the MLB, these are things I'm logging that I don't screw up. Okay, Well, let's get back to I am a seamhead. You and I could go off all on our pet peeves here. So back to our new friend, but not so new to you Dad. You've been in touch with him before he sent you this submission. Joey Maleck is a seam head.
Speaker 4: Let's listen on June twenty seventh, two thousand and nine, in a game between the Boston Red soft and the Atlanta Braves. Marktsee, George Kataris, and Casey Kouchman all played in the same game, the only three players in the history of baseball whose surname started with kot Now. I pointed this out to Tim and he even referenced me by name on Baseball tonight that night, so I can definitely say I'm Joey Malick and I am a seamhead.
Speaker 1: I love dad that sixteen years later, and you remember him sending this in right.
Speaker 2: Oh, I remember like it was yesterday. I remember putting it on the air that night. I've written a bunch of things over the years, and I've included Joey Mallick's name in there, and I double checked, and unless I've gotten something wrong, they are still the only three players Mark Kotsee, George Katerras, and Casey Kotchman to start their names with kot I checked this morning, and unless I've missed somebody, it still goes sixteen years later. How about that. It's pretty incredible.
Speaker 1: Sixteen years later, it stays true and it's back on I am a seam head for is this a great.
Speaker 2: Game or what again?
Speaker 1: If you want to submit, it's really easy. Record a voice memo on your phone and then email that voice memo to me Jeff at great game dot com.
Speaker 2: Dad, I have no idea what you have planned for Team ten, so I'll let you take it from here. All right, Well, Jeff, again, this is the theme of the week. It's your wedding anniversary. You and Emily were married three years ago. The day we're taping this, August April thirtieth, twenty twenty two, is the day that you got married. So I have and I think you've heard part of this before, the All Romance team as a tribute to you and Emily. The catcher is Rick Sweet. First baseman is Ryan court Court, young lady, at least you did in the thirties and forties when you were dating. Yeah, right, Ryan Bliss, Thank you for that, Jeff, it was unnecessary. Ryan Bliss is the second baseman. Jonah Bride, my new favorite, is the third baseman. Joe Sparks is the shortstop. And of course we had Steve Sparks on, but I needed a shortstop. Bobby Valentine is one outfielder. Bo Allread is another outfielder. I never heard of this guy, but I looked him up. Beauty McGowan is one of our outfielders and our pictures are my favorite. Slim Love, Ron Darling, Richard Lovelady, Brian Woo Woo, a woman I was never any good at that Mark Church, which is where you get married, and my favorite and this is a tribute to you, Jeff, Buddy Groom. That's a great one, Buddy Groom, who's almost sixty years old. And I've told you, Jeff, I just want Buddy Groom to come out of retirement and face Jonah Bride in one at bat. It was the greatest moment of our entire lives, your life, my life, everyone's life.
Speaker 1: Dan, you blew it again? What bo Jackson? Bo Bo.
Speaker 2: Dad, I'm going to take so many messages now, Oh my gosh, he blew it again. But Bo spelled b eau, not b oh, I'll tell you. And like you haven't made something stretched farther than that, right, Look, your stretch with Chris Sale today was so bad, so don't talk to me about stretching. That was worse than anything Willie McCovey ever did. And his nickname was stretch. That was worse than the kircheins against the Celtics down Please please, all right, Joe, we need to end this. You've got a meeting. Let's go. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So next week, I said it at the top of the show, a Hall of Fame baseball pitcher will be our guest.
Speaker 2: Can we not tell people who it's gonna be? No, well we can, I mean, who cares? It's our show? Do we want to tell him? Yes, We've got Tom Glavin, Hall of Fame pitcher on next week, and he's gonna talk a lot of hockey with us, because we don't know anything about hockey. He's gonna talk golf with us, He's going to talk a lot of baseball with us. He was so so enlightening on so many different topics, and he made us laugh out loud several times. Make sure to tune in for that.
Speaker 1: That'll be this coming Wednesday, and then of course episodes on Tuesday and Thursday as well. So Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, three episodes a week. Don't miss a single one. Subscribe wherever you're listening right now, whether it's on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, YouTube, plenty of places you can listen right on our website, great Game.
Speaker 2: Or what dot com, and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening, and as always, thank you for being a part of our family.