Speaker 1: Actors are a funny group.
Speaker 2: They have to do crazy things sometimes in the acting. I played a character for a very long time that was beloved all around the world called Sabrina on Sabrina the teenage Witch.
Speaker 1: She had these magical powers and she could be anywhere.
Speaker 2: So I did ski on Mars, and I was a trapeze artist walking across a tightrope at the circus. And I was a princess jumping across a volcano. So I got to do some really really fun stuff.
Speaker 3: She can cast spells and talk to cats on screen, of course, and she's a fabulous actress who played all kinds of characters, including a very beloved teenage witch.
Speaker 4: The one and only Melissa Joan.
Speaker 3: Hard is this season's first guest on The Lingo Kids Grown Up Podcast. Welcome to season three of Growing Up, the Lingo Kids podcast that encourages kids to dream big and discover who they want to be. Join us on this special adventure as we speak with some remarkable people about the skills and hobbies that got them where.
Speaker 4: They are today. I sure hope our guests.
Speaker 3: Are excited about all the little twists and turns we have in store this season.
Speaker 4: I know I am.
Speaker 3: If you love brain boosting trivia, mind bending riddles and super fun quizzes, then you, little listener, are our.
Speaker 4: Perfect travel companion.
Speaker 3: You and my awesome co host Luis are gonna get along just great.
Speaker 4: Are you ready?
Speaker 3: It's gonna be quite the ride.
Speaker 5: Okay, first dance co host, you'll do great. Louise, You're a brave knight. Maxie said so with his eyes when I left him at home. You can do it.
Speaker 3: Comen, good morning, Emily, Oh, good morning Louise.
Speaker 5: Today, I'm sir Louise. Oh, that's why I brought my sword.
Speaker 4: Sure, but that's not a real sword, is it.
Speaker 5: Sure it is. It's Sir Louise's special sword.
Speaker 4: Hmm, looks kind of wobbly to me.
Speaker 5: It's not wobbly. It growls to scare monsters away.
Speaker 2: Girl.
Speaker 4: Oh, I see? And why did you bring it today?
Speaker 5: To show everyone what a cool night I am?
Speaker 4: Oh? I get it. This sword is your prop for your night character.
Speaker 5: That's right. With the power of my sword, I'm gonna send you away from this planet.
Speaker 4: You are a very convincing fighter.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Actors use props like the sword all the time so that their characters are more realistic on plays, TV sets and movies.
Speaker 5: Actors.
Speaker 3: Yes, there are people whose job is to play well other people, animals, even objects, just like you're doing now playing a night. Being an actor is about being creative.
Speaker 5: I just want to know more about being an actor.
Speaker 4: Emily Well, I think one of the very special gifts go Forward Labs gave us should be able to help. Ah.
Speaker 5: What does it do? Emily?
Speaker 3: I think if I move it left and then right and make a circle.
Speaker 5: Wow, what's happening? Earie Well?
Speaker 3: The producers of this podcast wanted to add some magic to this episode. None of it would happen in real life, but it can happen here and growing up.
Speaker 5: I love it. Hi there, Wow, who's that?
Speaker 3: Her name is Melissa jan Hart, an actual actress.
Speaker 5: She appeered out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: That's the science of the magic. I guess, Hi, Melissa, why do you like being an actress?
Speaker 2: I like being an actres because I like working with a group of people to create something different, whether it's you know, doing a scene where you're skiing on Mars, or you get to live in different time periods, you get to live in different locations. You know, one minute you might be in Australia. The next minute you're living on Mars.
Speaker 5: That's cool. I didn't know it could be an actor, just like that drugging. Oh no, my super special sword it broke.
Speaker 3: Oh, Louise, I'm so sorry. I'll help you pick the pieces up.
Speaker 5: Now, how will I defeed dragons? Emily?
Speaker 4: Don't worry.
Speaker 3: We can get another sword later. Actors always get other props.
Speaker 5: Really, that's cool because the good night always needs a good sword.
Speaker 4: Ooh, that's catchy.
Speaker 3: Let me finish packing these Okay there, phew, Okay, now, Louise, I have a good story for a good night. Picture this a time with no phones, no TV, no Hollywood.
Speaker 5: Wow. How long ago was that, Emily?
Speaker 4: Around the year fifteen hundred.
Speaker 5: Hold on, that's like the Dinosaur's time.
Speaker 4: Well not quite, but it's still a long time ago.
Speaker 3: So picture a long road in the countryside, and in the middle of the road a group of ten actors.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: This troop spends every night walking from one town to the next. With every new day they get on a new stage and get.
Speaker 4: All of their props out, like their swords, yes they're.
Speaker 3: Ten twenty swords, their chairs and tables, and when everything is set, the fun begins, the actors tell a story together for people to enjoy.
Speaker 5: Sounds like a cool band tour.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: Acting has been around since ancient times, of course, but some people turn it into a job with these tours.
Speaker 5: Oh but I wonder, Emily, what were the plays about knights and dragons?
Speaker 4: Hmmm, not exactly, Louise.
Speaker 3: Most of them were comedies, stories about people who fell in love, neighbors who got into funny troubles.
Speaker 5: Like that time Maxi jumped into the new.
Speaker 4: I'd love to see a play with Maxie in it.
Speaker 3: And you know what, Luise, our very special guests for our game show today is Melissa Joan Hart, the actual actress you just talked to.
Speaker 5: That's amazing. She can have a sword.
Speaker 3: Too, yes, and she's been in tons of beloved comedies. She even can fly on a broom on TV, of course.
Speaker 5: Fly on a broom. I want to do magic like her. Then she can teach me.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure she'll have some advice for you.
Speaker 3: Most of us grown ups know her as Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
Speaker 5: Cool nickname, and who is Sabrina, Emily, Oh.
Speaker 3: Sabrina the Teenage Witch was a young witch who lived with a talking cat named Salem.
Speaker 5: A talking cat, no way, and was Salem nervous on set?
Speaker 4: Oh? All actress get nervous? Luise? Why?
Speaker 5: Well? I have butterflies in my stomach every time I speak in front of other people.
Speaker 3: And today's my first game show. So I brought my sword to feel brave. Oh, I understand, Louise, but it broke.
Speaker 5: Now I don't know what to do.
Speaker 3: I know what we can do, Louise. Let's ask Melissa herself with the magic wand as an actress, Melissa gets to be in front of people all the time.
Speaker 4: So fire away, Hi Louisa and.
Speaker 5: Emily, Hi Melissa? How do I stay cool in front of other people?
Speaker 2: If you're nervous, your heart is pounding and your head is kind of swirling, and you just feel like I don't know if I can do this, and you feel yourself like start to not be able to breathe so easily.
Speaker 1: That is completely normal.
Speaker 5: That's great to hear.
Speaker 1: Sometimes we think we're nervous, but we're actually excited, like what can I do? What am I gonna do? What's this gonna be? Like?
Speaker 4: Yep, that's me wondering what the game will be?
Speaker 5: Like me too, Emily, I'm a little nervous but also really excited.
Speaker 2: You'll always feel those nerves, and if you don't, I'd be worried.
Speaker 1: So just remembering that it's completely normal.
Speaker 5: Melissa made me feel so much better.
Speaker 4: Thanks Magic wand ready to talk to her in person and host your very first game show, Sir Louise.
Speaker 5: Super ready, let's go.
Speaker 3: Welcome to our very first growing up talking game show.
Speaker 4: I'm Emily and this is Louise Say Hi Louise.
Speaker 5: Hi everyone, I'm Louise. Good night for tonight, I mean your co host.
Speaker 4: And please welcome our very special guest for today, Melissa Joan Hart.
Speaker 3: Melissa has been an actress and she was four years old and she's loved all around the world for playing Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Clarissa, and Clarissa explains it all.
Speaker 4: Hi, Melissa, how are you feeling today?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. I'm full of energy and happy.
Speaker 4: Just like me and me. How are you feeling about being here with us?
Speaker 1: I'm excited. I love answering questions.
Speaker 2: I love to entertain, so I love to tell people about myself and try to make people laugh.
Speaker 3: We are going to have a last so let's begin, Melissa, tell us why and how you became interested in acting.
Speaker 2: There was a TV show when I was a little called Romper Room, and there was a woman named Miss Marianne. And at the end of the show, she'd sit all the kids down and she'd hold up the magic mirror and she'd say.
Speaker 1: And I see Tommy, and I see.
Speaker 2: Joe, and I see Betty, and she would say all the kids' names, and she would never say Melissa.
Speaker 1: And I wanted her to say my name so bad.
Speaker 2: And I realized she was saying the names of the kids that were in the audience, so if I could get to be on that show, then she would say Melissa. And so that's where my acting career kind of started. I told my mom, I need to be on TV.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, did they ever call you out on that show.
Speaker 2: I did not get to be on Romper Room, but recently I found out that one of my best friends was.
Speaker 1: Like, I was on that show, and I got so jealous. I was like, no way, I never got to.
Speaker 5: Oh well, I know how that feels. One time I was on a magic show with my mom and the magic man needed help with a trick, so I said, pick me, pick me please, but he never picked me.
Speaker 3: Oh, we all get second chances, Louise. Speaking of which, when.
Speaker 4: Did you get your first chance at acting? Melissa?
Speaker 2: I was four years old and I got my first job, which was a commercial for a bathtub doll. The bathtub doll was called Splashy, and I got to just play in the water for I think like an hour.
Speaker 5: I love warm water and splashing, but I'd be shy if I had to do it in front of other people. Does that mean I can't be an actor?
Speaker 2: People can definitely be actors if they're shy. Some of the best actors are people that are shy or overcome things like maybe a stutter or any other kind of thing that you think might get in the way. Yes, I think that you can really come out of shell and get to be You can play someone who's not shy.
Speaker 3: I love that being an actor gives us a chance to live different lives, even if it's only on stage.
Speaker 5: I can't wait to be a Knight or a very or my dog Maxie. How can I become an actor, Melissa?
Speaker 2: Well, some things I think you can do or join anything local in your school, join the theater program, join chorus, go to a dance studio, take some dance lessons, because they might this one day. They might just need someone to do hip hop or ballet, or they might need you to play the flute, or they might need a singer, or they might need a gymnast, someone to do a backflip or you know. So having all those fun skills that you can play with you can.
Speaker 5: Make so many dreams come true as an actor. Can you tell us about other fun things you did as an actress?
Speaker 1: There are so many.
Speaker 2: But I was really lucky because I played a character for a very long time that was beloved all around the world called Sabrina On Sabrina the teenage Witch. And because she was a witch, she had these magical powers and she could be anywhere. So I did ski on Mars, and I was a trapeze artist walking across a tightrope at the circus. And I was Alice in Wonderland, and I was a princess jumping across a volcano and at one point throwing my evil twin into the volcano.
Speaker 5: Throwing your evil twin to the volcano sounds crazy, I love it.
Speaker 1: Actors Rock actors are a funny group. They come up with some crazy things.
Speaker 2: They have to do crazy things sometimes in the acting. They tend to be very creative people with sort of very colorful brains, right, so you might think of them as people that see lots of rainbows and bright colors and fireworks in their brain.
Speaker 3: Melissa, right before joining you, we were playing around with this magic wand right here and hyps Yes, my mic just turned into a parrot. This is officially my most magical moment on set?
Speaker 4: What was yours?
Speaker 1: Oh, magical moment on set?
Speaker 2: People won't see that TV show from weeks and weeks, But sometimes if my kids come to visit me, or my husband comes to visit me, or my mom comes to visit me, and I see them onset, I get really excited about that.
Speaker 4: Oh, I know.
Speaker 3: How it feels, because I love it when my family comes to see me at work. And of all of them, who is your biggest supporter?
Speaker 2: I would say my mom's my biggest cheerleader. She is always proud of me. She's always encouraging me. We actually make movies and TV shows together, so she and I are like best friends work buddies, and so I feel like, you know her being honest with me just makes me better.
Speaker 3: A big round of applause for Melissa. Now let's jump into straight up fun our very first game show.
Speaker 4: Today, we're playing a short trivia around the world of acting. Louise, How does this game work?
Speaker 5: Okay, here's how trivia works. I'll ask a question and give a few answer options. Then Melissa has to guess which one is correct before.
Speaker 4: The bell rings.
Speaker 3: Sounds good, take it away, Okay.
Speaker 5: First question, where was the first theater in the world built a Greece, B, the United States or C. Egypt.
Speaker 2: I would say it's probably Greece, because I think ancient Greece used to have a lot of theater.
Speaker 5: You got it right. It was built in Athens, Greece. It was called the Theater of Dionysus, and it's a very popular tourist attraction today.
Speaker 1: I got that right. I didn't know that me neither.
Speaker 5: Okay. Question number two, how long did the longest play ever last? Was it a an entire summer, B an entire weekend, or c more than one whole day.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say an entire summer.
Speaker 2: I just feel like there's I've heard stories of old like directors they would do these epic, huge scenes and it would last a long time, and they could make something last a whole summer long.
Speaker 5: Oh sadly, no, the correct answer is more than one whole.
Speaker 1: Day one day.
Speaker 2: I thought there's been at least Oh maybe I'm thinking of Shakespeare festivals where like all different stuff is on all weekend or all week Yeah.
Speaker 5: The longest play recorded by the Guinness World Records ran for more than thirty hours. It was about the history of India. It was played by Dpica Turassia on August fifteenth, twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's a long time, though still twenty four hours to sit still. I don't like to sit through a three hour movie, so okay.
Speaker 5: Last question number three? What was the first animal movie star A A horse, B, a monkey or C A dog?
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, I want to say a dog, but like Benji or something. But I'm gonna go with a horse because of all the Westerns.
Speaker 5: Very very close. It was actually a dog. Its name was Blair, a dog actor that played the role of Rover in a British short film from nineteen oh five.
Speaker 1: Oh it was.
Speaker 5: The movie was named Rescued by Rover. It's a short film about a dog who goes through land and water to rescue a baby.
Speaker 1: Oh cute.
Speaker 4: Not to check that out, Melissa, have you ever performed with animals.
Speaker 2: On Sabrina the Teenage which I had to work with at a cat for seven years. But it wasn't just one cat, there were fifteen cats. I think the cat was so good for.
Speaker 1: So many bloopers.
Speaker 2: It was so sometimes the live cat would just go eat something, or run off the set, or lay down when you wanted to sit up, and so we'd be waiting on the cat a lot.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Melissa, and thanks everyone for being here with us.
Speaker 4: Louise, what did you learn from Melissa?
Speaker 5: I've learned that being an actor means you can learn so many skills like flying on a trapeze and training pets. Oh and work around the world with so many different people.
Speaker 3: That's right now. Do you think it's time to go grab something to eat after.
Speaker 4: Our first show?
Speaker 5: Yes? Please, I'm so hungry I could eat a whole dragon.
Speaker 3: Thanks for tagging along on this episode of Growing Up. If you want to know more about the amazing lives of actors, check out our episode Adventures and Acting with Joel McHale and remember a little listener, dream big, and always stay curious.
Speaker 4: Louis, Are you ready for more adventures?
Speaker 5: Wait? There's more.
Speaker 3: Yep, there's loads more to explore on the world's number one kids learning app, Lingo Kids. It has tons of videos, games and podcasts just like this one, and every single one is fun and educational. Download the Lingo Kids app today for free.
Speaker 5: Avaa dans cat served in side boat
Speaker 2: By the paper of