Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Hey, Bestie's Today on the bright Side, we're popping off and dishing on the biggest pop culture stories of the week. Is a wedding content creator, the hottest new edition you'll need on your big day.
Speaker 3: What is the Queen of Halloween have up or sleeve? This year?
Speaker 2: Us the parenting dilemma that's breaking the Internet. Joining us today is a beauty guru and bright Side Bestie Los Angeles co host and producer Kirby Johnson. It's Friday, September twentieth. I'm Simone Boyce.
Speaker 1: I'm Danielle Robey and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, a daily show where we come together to share women's stories, to laugh, learn and brighten your day.
Speaker 2: Dgif Danielle. What a special week we've had on the show. Not only did we have some truly incredible guests, but we were also chosen by Apple Podcasts as this month's Spotlight pick.
Speaker 1: Can you believe how big that is? That is so major? Thank you to our friends at Apple. And when I think back on the week, a highlight for me was chatting with Julienne Huff ahead of the Dancing with the Stars premiere this week.
Speaker 2: Nine year old me is still processing the fact that we talked to the one and only Eve about her new memoir Who's That Girl, which is out now. And I mean Eve Rodsky has always has got me thinking about the division of labor in her homes.
Speaker 3: After talking with her.
Speaker 1: Ev Rodsky, I don't want to derail this podcast, but I could go on for hours about ev Rodsky.
Speaker 3: She breaks the brain.
Speaker 1: Yes, I feel like I'm sitting in on a masterclass. Every time I have the opportunity to speak with her, I rarely learn so much from one single person. It's unbelievable. And you know, Simone, I feel like we have to take this moment in. We talked to Halle Berry on the show Surreal. I cannot get over the story about her doctor misdiagnosing her menopause symptoms for herpes.
Speaker 2: I will never get over that story. I'll never get over this wild I'm sure she won't either. And the week isn't over yet, y'all. We've got a great show for you today. But before we go there, it's time to spotlight our favorite moment of the week.
Speaker 4: YEP.
Speaker 1: Today we're spotlighting Alexin Ferrell, Falmouth, author of twelfth Night the summer YA pick for Reese's Book Club, and that's because her book, which spent four weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, is headed to the screen. So Hello, Sunshine just announced this week that they're partnering with Netflix to develop the book into a film. I am so excited for her. I'm so excited for us because we're gonna get to watch this.
Speaker 3: I cannot wait wait.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you took the words out of my mouth, Jinx, like we cannot wait for this story to come to life on the screen. Her book, twelfth Night with a K, is a reimagining of William Shakespeare's play twelfth Night with an N and the same play that inspired the iconic two thousand and six film She's a Man with Amanda Byn.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you feel the same way, Danielle, but I do feel like my entire childhood could be retold through William shakespeare reimaginings. They were just so they were such a big part of my childhood growing up. I can't wait to watch this one.
Speaker 1: I totally agree. And if you remember, we talked to Alexin Pharrell Faumos back in July and she told us all about how Shakespeare influenced her.
Speaker 5: I love Shakespeare and I read Twelve Night when I was in high school and just loved it. And I don't know why, it's just it's my favorite play. I think the silliness, the absurdity that is captured by Shakespeare is so brilliant to me.
Speaker 1: The full episode is available, so please check it out. If you haven't, we'll link it in our show notes. And Alexine, if you are listening, we are sending you a huge congratulations. You deserve all of this love and more.
Speaker 3: We love you, Alexian.
Speaker 2: Okay, speaking of Reese's book Club, we've got a new fall young adult pick y'all. It's called Looking for Smoke by Ka Kobel, and it's a twisty who Done It filled with loss, betrayal, and some complex characters.
Speaker 1: Of course, sounds like the perfect book to curl up to this fall. What's it about?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: So I'm hearing that the story follows four main characters who've all become people of interest in a murder, and it's up to them to clear their names, even though one of them may have actually committed the crime. And it's up to us the readers to decide who we can trust.
Speaker 1: It really does sound like the perfect amount of spook for this season. I can't wait to check it out. Okay, Simon, it's time for today's show. Are you ready to pop off?
Speaker 3: Let's get into it.
Speaker 2: Joining us today as host, producer, and writer Kirby Johnson, who you all know from both our show and her podcast Los Angeles. Kirby, welcome back to the bright Side.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much. I am the world to be back. I had the best time with you too. The last time, I felt like we could have had like an four hour soiree. It was dangerous about all the events of the week, but I'm glad we contained it because now I'm back.
Speaker 1: Well, you're our go to girl and the internet's go to girl for skincare and makeup trends and celebrity content. And Simona and I just saw that you were at the Agatha All Along premiere this week. Yes, so we just had comedians say shares of meta on last week to talk about Agatha All Along. I want to know what the premiere was like, how were the LWKs, what was happening Kirby.
Speaker 6: Okay, so I love anything spooky anything Halloween.
Speaker 4: So I was thrilled Disney invited me to this premiere.
Speaker 6: And first of all, you don't have to be a Marvel fan to enjoy this show.
Speaker 4: In my humble opinion, if you like.
Speaker 6: Spooky stuff, if you're into witches, if you just love Catherine Hahn or Patti Lapone, then I think you're really gonna enjoy this series.
Speaker 4: But at the.
Speaker 6: Premiere, it was like it was really cool. There were all of these different photos setups. Catherine Hahn showed up in this gorgeous rare d'Arte gown that was like it kind of had like what I'm calling underbut it's kind of did you guys see.
Speaker 4: Her in her gown by chance?
Speaker 1: Because this is a term I haven't heard Kirby.
Speaker 4: This is a term that I think I just made up.
Speaker 6: But the way that it was created from the back, it goes asymmetrically over her behind and so you can see a little cheek action underneath it.
Speaker 4: It was very sexy.
Speaker 6: So she was wearing that, and then as I was scrolling through my footage on my phone, I noticed that one of her Lubton heels broke, so she was literally walking on her tippy toes to make it match all through the carpet. You couldn't have been able to tell unless you were actually looking at her feet.
Speaker 4: And then I saw photos of her feet.
Speaker 6: And like, nobody called out the fact that, like you couldn't even tell it just from the front, looked like she was killing it. So way to go, Catherine Han.
Speaker 1: It's unbelievable when people have poised like that. Like, if something like that happened to me, I would have to just make it a big joke, talk about it. Yeah, the fact that she just sashayed through unbelievable.
Speaker 6: I know I would have to call it out. I'm exactly like you, Danielle. I have to be like, let's address the elephant in the room. I do not look perfect at my premiere, but she did.
Speaker 4: She looked absolutely stunning.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Then there was a Parks and Rec reunion, so like Shashier was there. Obviously the cast was there, Patty Lapone, you know, Debra jau Rupp, who is like iconic from that seventies show and that ninety show.
Speaker 4: So all the casts was there.
Speaker 6: But then as I was standing to get some photos, I noticed this blonde woman coming up and I'm like, oh my god, it's the love of my life, Amy Poehler. And so she came to support Aubrey Plaza, who is a large character in the series, and Adam Scott also from Parks and Rec. And I don't know if everybody remembers this, but Catherine Haunt was like a featured character in Parks and Rec for you know, several seasons. Like she was kind of like a recurring random character that would come through. So it was a really cute Parks and Rec reunion. I'm a diehard Parks fan, so for me it was excellent.
Speaker 1: All I could hear was Aubrey Plaza because I feel like she is a gift to all of us. I just love her.
Speaker 4: She was born to be a witch. She is a witch. I don't think she would be offended by me saying.
Speaker 6: That she tore her acl. So she showed up with the cane that said Hag on it, because you know her, her handle is evil Hag.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 4: It's so good.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's this show is about a coven, so she was born to play a witch. I mean, she's so good in it. So highly recommend we got to see the first three episodes, so uh, you can watch the first two on Disney Plus right now, and then next week that'll I think they'll start going to like a weekly drop of these episodes. But there's for me, there's a lot of fun special effects makeup in the third episode, which I really enjoyed. And if you loved WandaVision, you'll love this. There's very there's a lot of similarities. And yeah, I just I loved WandaVision and I'm not a Marvel girly. I like Guardians of the Galaxy. But for me, Wanda Vision was like such an excellent show. It was funny, it was you know, nostalgic, and it covered grief in a really special way in my opinion, And I think this is going to be very very similar.
Speaker 1: Oh well, now I need to tune in.
Speaker 4: I agree.
Speaker 2: Okay, y'all, let's get into the biggest stories of the week. First, we need to talk about and influence our controversy that has taken social media by storm. So influencer couple Matt and Abby Howard are facing criticism after Abby posted a story sharing that she and her husband left their two young kids, who are ages one and two, alone in a cruise ship cabin while they went out to eat dinner.
Speaker 3: So the story has now expired. It's no longer up there.
Speaker 2: But she wrote that it became a parent that their kids weren't enjoying the experience I guess of being on the cruise ship or being at dinner, and therefore neither were they. All the parents in the audience know what this is like, so they just decided to switch their dinner plans to after the kids' bedtime, and they say that they facetimed the baby.
Speaker 3: Monitors while they ate. I gotta be honest.
Speaker 2: At first, I had a really strong reaction to this story, but I've kind of changed my mind.
Speaker 3: I'm really curious to hear what you guys think about it.
Speaker 2: Do we think that this is controversial or you know, unsafe to leave your kids inside of a locked room while you are watching them on a baby monitor.
Speaker 6: Had a very vista role. I mean, I was ready to go to the streets so were this because I'm like, are y'all dumb? Like are we just making content to make content? At this point? Like this is so stupid, You're endangering your children. And then I took a step back and was like I feel like this may be a knee jerk reaction. I want some more information. I want some more information. Well, Matt and Abbey have come out and said, we understand why people thought the children were alone. However, we had a caretaker with them the entire time we were facetiming, you know, the monitor, but there was somebody presently with them in the room to make sure that they were okay. They and to their credit, Abby looked really sad and defeated when she was relaying this message.
Speaker 4: And for me personally, I was like, you.
Speaker 6: Know what, this is why, this is why I don't have these knee jerk reactions. This is why I usually keep it really chill and try to get more information before I judge what's going on. But it's hard not to because these are content creators and they make money off of having likes, views, and engagement, and a lot of times a negative reaction is better than no reaction, right, so it's kind of hard to balance the two.
Speaker 2: We got rage baited. That's what happened to us, Kirby. We took the rage bait.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 4: We did take the rage bait.
Speaker 1: I know that they're content creators, but I see this in my own life with people, and I'm like, everybody gets to do what they feel is best for their family, for their children, but you don't need to post it online. That's the problem. I actually there's this is a little bit of a left turn, but it's a very sticky situation. I know somebody whose husband sadly passed away last year and passed away very young, and they had a one year old son, and very quickly after the passing, she started dating somebody new, and all family and friends had very strong reactions to her having a new boyfriend. And I was thinking, to myself, it is nobody's business but her own how she wants to grieve who she wants to be with. But do you need to post like a big love post on social media? Like sometimes just just do it for yourself, you know, just do it for you.
Speaker 4: It's like writing the email.
Speaker 6: It's like, write that really scathing email that you want to send on a notes app and then leave it in the notes app.
Speaker 2: Don't send it, yes, yeah, just write it, keep it in the drafts, don't send it totally.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think we're I think everyone is blowing this one out of proportion. I think it's fine. She I didn't see the original story, but it sounds like she just made a joke, like, oh, the kids, you know, hated dinner, so we decided to like ship them off to bed, and now we're out enjoying ourselves. I've definitely left my kids in a hotel room by themselves before. No no nanny, no caretaker. We used to do this whenever they were like one and they could. I think for me, the biggest thing is can they fit inside of a crib and not get out of that crib? And then can you turn on the baby monitor and then walk out the room and monitor them?
Speaker 3: I think, I think it's fine.
Speaker 2: Obviously I didn't go far, but totally I think we're blown it out of proportion.
Speaker 1: Right, you're the only one with children. I feel like we have to You know, your word is a better one. But I was thinking if it were my kid, I'm not so sure I would do it without the caretaker.
Speaker 2: And that's the beauty of parenting. You get to decide. You get to decide what your rules are.
Speaker 1: And I'll circle back when I have kids if I change my mind.
Speaker 2: Okay, circle back to me. On number two, not the first one, but circle back to me on number two.
Speaker 3: I want to see how the rules change.
Speaker 1: Okay, perfect, we have to take a quick break, but we'll be right back to pop it off with Kirby Johnson. Don't go anywhere, and we're back with Kirby Johnson. Okay, Well, while we're on the topic of influencers, I want to talk about wedding content creators. So we've seen this over the past year and a half, two years, I would say people are hiring wedding content creators to capture these small, quote unquote candid moments esthetically and quickly. So like everybody knows that the wedding photographer, the videographer, they take time to get the photos and the videos back to you. These content creators can get stuff up in hours, and they're charging anywhere from a thousand to four one thousand dollars give or take to create this content. We saw it with Nick Vial and his now wife Natalie, and we see it with people who are like even less famous, like just regular weddings. People are hiring content creators. Is this something that you would do?
Speaker 2: I wish this was an option. Whenever I got married, I didn't really get my wedding on video. I got married in twenty eleven, so this was kind of, you know, before this age where it's really.
Speaker 3: Common to get video done.
Speaker 2: But I think about it almost daily, the fact that I don't have video of my wedding, and I think this is a great option if you don't. I mean, honestly, wedding cinematographers they can cost like ten fifteen thousand dollars, So this seems like a great middle ground. And I also think this is so resourceful of these content creators to come up with this as a new job in the gig economy, Like this is so smart.
Speaker 6: Totally, I think especially you know, I work in beauty, right, and makeup artists make bank when they do weddings. Like I know a lot of editorial makeup artists and a lot of red carpet makeup artists that if it's not award season or you know, they're not booked for a shoot, that they're booking weddings on the weekends and it's really keeping them afloat. It's helping maintain a sense of balance in terms of their income. So I think this is really smart in terms of content creation. Although I don't know if it's for everyone.
Speaker 4: I do think it's simone.
Speaker 6: You actually kind of changed my perspective a little bit because, yeah, some of these photographers and videographers, like they're producing like these epic movies almost of.
Speaker 4: Your big day.
Speaker 6: But what if you can't afford that, and what if you just I mean, people are shooting commercials on iPhones, So like, maybe you get this really beautiful three minute compilation of like while you're getting ready and then your wedding and then your reception, and then you have that on your phone and it's you know, it's you're able to actually, you know, upload it where you want to and keep it on your phone so you can watch it and send it to whoever.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean.
Speaker 6: I think that you really helped me change my perspective on that. But I do like the other part of me is I'm not married, I haven't had a wedding yet. And I see people when they post about their wedding, and I know it's such a special day for them, But after three posts about your wedding, I'm out, like I'm I'm muting. I'm like, babes, if I've already seen your dress and I've already seen, like.
Speaker 1: What other outfit I'm max out at five?
Speaker 3: You guys are so mean.
Speaker 6: I mean, unless I know you personally and I like wasn't able to be at the wedding. Of course I want to see that stuff, but like some of these people.
Speaker 4: I mean, I guess it is.
Speaker 6: Like their big day, so they are treating it like it's like a red carpet or whatever.
Speaker 2: Herby's trying to find it in her heart to accept the wedding content.
Speaker 6: I really am trying to find like, like I get it, but for me after I mean, the ten or twenty pieces of content that I'm personally seeing from people promote about their wedding, I just don't care anymore.
Speaker 4: I get it, like I've seen it.
Speaker 6: You looked amazing, You're married, now post that on your personal Facebook, But like, I don't want to see that. If I'm following you as somebody who likes your like your own content, maybe I'm not there because I like know and like you as a person. It's because I like what you're delivering to me. And I know that sounds super transactional, but I just I love to know if people fall off, like if people lose followers from posting too much wedding content. And y'all understand, this is a very different situation than, like, you know, a content creator who's getting married, Like there's a big fashion content creator on TikTok who it was like, you would be dumb not to have a content creator hired to make content around your wedding, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I actually kind of like this because I think that sometimes the iPhone is less obtrusive, so people who are not used to cameras in their face, like, are more chill around it. And I think that these creators can capture some of the more demure moments, the more like subtle moments here. That's a great point what I think. First of all, Kirby, I'm so with you. Imax out at five posts about your wedding. Three five is being generous. I'm with you on three five. I get it, it's your big day. But and like you know, we love love. But I do think that wedding etiquette with content has become interesting. I've been to a few weddings that are no phone weddings, yeah, and part of it is that the bride and groom don't want anybody to post before they do, and there's kind of like a rule about that. And so I actually went to a wedding where the bride. We were walking out and the bride looked at us and was like, okay, y'all, like you can post now, I just press post.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 6: So it was like ceremonial. I was like, okay, everyone else get out there. You know what's so funny is the no phones are no tech what what's the term? You'll know, they have like a specific term for it now. They say unplugged, unplugged.
Speaker 4: Thank you. It's like landismoresett unpluged. Okay.
Speaker 6: So they have like a little sign set up that says, this is an unplugged ceremony. Please turn off your phones or they'll take them. Typically, when that was a thing, it was because they wanted people to be present, not because they wanted people to wait for them to post first, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean exactly.
Speaker 4: It was like, let's be present in the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like yeah, Kayleie, you're going to look back ten years from now and be so mad that somebody posted your wedding photos before you did, right.
Speaker 6: Right, right right, It's like but that's why initially it was an unplugged wedding. So it was like, hey, we get it social media as a thing, but like, let's just like be present in the moment and not be looking down at our phones like trying to get the best video image whatever.
Speaker 4: I'm all about that.
Speaker 6: But you know, at the same time, just kind of like whatever. It also just kind of kind of makes me laugh because usually if someone is being told not to post something, it's because the bride and groom are likely getting paid for like.
Speaker 4: A People magazine, ex Rice or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was not that like that that so my question is why stop here? Like, if we can hire content creators to document our weddings, can't we hire content creators to document other things like divorces?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean I would love that. I want the real, Like I want to see the inside scoop of your day to day. I don't want to see the glossy stuff. I want to know like when you're on the floor crying, when the things went wrong, all the full I want to.
Speaker 2: Be able to hire a freelancer to come in and document let's say, like a birthday party. Wouldn't that be nice to where you could be hands free, you could still get content and photos and videos with your friends. But it's not on your it's not part of your mental load. You could just get to outsource it for the evening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think you bring up an interesting point. Danielle bay Or Jackson, who's a friendship expert who's been on our show, just posted something on Instagram that kind of made my eyes widen. She planned a birthday party for one of her kids. And she said she planned it in like a day. She did it really quickly. She did it on a small budget, and her six year old said this was the best birthday ever. And so she said, instead of stressing out about planning your kids' birthdays, ask yourself this question, would you plan this party if Instagram didn't exist? And if the answer is yes, go for it. That's what's in your heart. But I do see a lot of parents nowadays planning things with Instagram and social media in mind, and I think it's making people crazy, and particularly women because usually that task falls on them.
Speaker 2: And I think the other question is what would you do differently if this weren't going to be on Instagram? You know, like, would you be going out of your way to buy color coded balloon? Arches, you know, if Instagram wasn't a thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a really interesting prompt.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say.
Speaker 6: This actually reminds me of a video I saw on TikTok of a woman who said that she I guess her child was four or five, and she invited sixteen kids, and she said, I had to cancel my child's birthday party because nobody was going to show up. And then she gets into the story and basically, I think six or seven kids were going to show up, but the I guess the rest of the sixteen weren't, and she decided to not have the party because only six or seven kids were going to come, And all the comments were basically like, I think you thought this was going to go a different direction, but six or seven kids is way more than enough for your child to have fun at their birthday party.
Speaker 4: She would not have known the difference.
Speaker 6: And now you're just not going to have the party for her because what And I guess the woman kept saying, yeah, it was like our neighbors and then some friends from school, and I just figured I would just like, you know, throw in the towel if it wasn't going to be like a big blowout party, and it made me really sad because that kid probably would have had the best time and wouldn't have known that she didn't have sixteen people there. You know, like I feel like seven or six kids.
Speaker 4: That's a lot of kids.
Speaker 1: Okay, Kirby, I would be remiss to not talk about Halloween with you because you are the queen of spooky season. You have the most epic Halloween costumes. Every single time wigs makeup, professional help comes in. How long do you plan for this moment? On October thirty?
Speaker 4: First months months?
Speaker 6: So when I worked at Pop Sugar, we always said Halloween started July first, because that is when people start searching for Halloween costumes on Pinterest. You'll start seeing a spike in Halloween searches on Pinterest around July first, So that's when we knew, okay, we need to start coming up reposting Halloween content in July. Which Christmas in July, Halloween in July.
Speaker 4: Here we are so.
Speaker 6: But I have to say, I appreciate the title, but Heidi Clume is the Halloween.
Speaker 4: She was a giant worm. I mean, I don't know how you beat being.
Speaker 6: A giant wormorm it was a the worandom simon. It literally it's I have had a dream about the Worm, and I'm like, what are we doing here? She's such a she's like a genius, a little Halloween genius.
Speaker 4: And how she figures out these costumes. I love Heidi Klume for.
Speaker 3: Anyone listening who isn't aware of what the worm is. We're referring to.
Speaker 2: Heidi Clume's worm costume from her twenty twenty two Halloween party. Her Halloween party is legendary at this point, and if you haven't seen it, there's no better time like the present, because this costume is something you have to see to believe, y'all.
Speaker 6: She has no arms, she has no arms, like she she's a worm. She had to walk around with her head through a hole as a giant, and she could not like go to the bathroom.
Speaker 4: She couldn't eat, couldn't drink, she.
Speaker 6: Couldn't shake people's hands at her Halloween pot It's like.
Speaker 1: Kim Kardashian at the met Gala. It's so there's so much commitment, right, it's really special. I remember her being Jessica Rabbit. I remember Heidi Klum being Princess Fiona. I think she was a zombie mom one year. Do you remember that one?
Speaker 6: Yes, she was also Michael Jackson thriller one year. She also I think she went at her as herself, but then she had like ten other heidis that were in full prosthetics to look just like her. When she does her costumes, it's not based on a theme, like it's not like, oh, this happened this year culturally, this is what I'm going to do. It's always just completely out of left field. So it's really you really can't guess what she's going to be.
Speaker 2: I kind of love the chaotic energy of that because everything else in pop culture revolves around a theme, and I love that she just is randomly picking the most eccentric costume she can think of.
Speaker 4: Same.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I need to understand. Maybe I'm going to back up. Okay, As a kid, I loved Halloween. As I've gotten older, Halloween stresses me out because in college I felt like I was expected to take a regular like someone's regular profession, and make it sexy, which made me feel so awkward, like I do not want to be in a nurse's costume and then knee high boots. It's just so not my energy. And then when I moved to La there are real Halloween parties and I felt like I just don't have time to make this happen. So one, how do you find the inspiration for your costumes? And two where did your love of Halloween really stem from?
Speaker 6: Okay, my inspiration usually comes from pop culture because I find listen. I don't have like massive budgets like Heidi Klume, so I think she can go left field with it and it be really exciting because she can do it so big and so crazy.
Speaker 4: For me, I want.
Speaker 6: To do big and crazy, but I need it to be also something. If I walk into a Halloween party, people aren't like, who are you?
Speaker 3: What is this?
Speaker 6: Why are you doing this? So I always tried to do pop culture themed. Last year I was Ken and I was Dojah Cat, and I felt like and Doja Cat specifically from the Scaparelli Show where she painted herself read Pemigrath, painted her red and then put like thirty thousand rhinestones all over her body.
Speaker 1: Tell me how many views you got because it was so epic?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 6: I mean that one was crazy, like I had millions of views on that. But then Vogue also covered it, so that was a whole thing. I didn't use thirty thousand rhinestones. I used fifteen thousand, but I had like five people doing it with me, same as Doja. Her team reached out and said it was awesome. So it was like a very gratifying moment for me because.
Speaker 4: Like, fifteen thousand, Yeah, it.
Speaker 6: Was crazy, and then we even ran out we didn't have enough, so it was to say it was awesome. Then when you ask my inspiration, my mom threw me a Halloween party every year from kindergarten to senior year. Kindergarten it was come over Bob for Apple's tell ghost stories, watch a scary movie, and then as I got older, it was a little bit more chill. Sometimes we'd all just get together and go to a haunted house. So Halloween has always been in my blood. I love decorating for Halloween. I'm going to decorate this weekend since I'm traveling, and I just like the spookiness of it all.
Speaker 4: It reminds me.
Speaker 6: It's like almost comforting because I grew up with it and my mom made it such a special holiday.
Speaker 4: So thank you Janet for that. And yeah, I just.
Speaker 1: Love sharing the Halloween spirit are you. Can you give us clues about this year's costume?
Speaker 6: Yes, this year's costume, so I'm going to have a few, But I think the big one that I'm going to do is it's inspired by a trend on TikTok.
Speaker 1: That's very vague y and also piques my interest at the same time.
Speaker 4: That was the goal.
Speaker 1: So mon, do you have a costume yet for this year?
Speaker 3: Nope.
Speaker 2: I love to talk about big plans for Halloween costumes starting around July and then never do them because I run out of steam and energy. So I'll probably be you know, I'll probably Mammy will probably have her special thermos. She'll be walking around the neighborhood with some Mommy juice in it. And it's all about the kiddos, you know. But I did notice over the past few years. I don't know if you guys have seen this too, it feels like celebrities are almost making Halloween into its own met gala. Like people will book out entire photo shoots just to shoot their Halloween look, or even like they'll shoot they'll make little short films about it. I'm just like, WHOA, this is a lot. The Internet is a lot sometimes.
Speaker 6: You know, it actually takes the fun out of it. In my opinion, I see these celebrities doing like full page spreads of their look because a lot of times they're so edited that I'm like, you don't I want to just see you walking around on the street with the paparazzi pap and you like the one year Lizo was Baby Yoda, she like did not do a formal photo shoot, literally like she got papped and then it went viral. I actually saw her that night because she crashed the Spotify Halloween party and we're like, who is this woman? And then she started singing and we're like, oh my god, it's Lizo and I like elements, I.
Speaker 4: Like Halloween like that.
Speaker 6: Haley Bieber is the only person, in my opinion that I thought did it really well. She recreated Britney Spears's editorial spreads when she dressed up as Brittany, and I'm like, Okay, that flies for me. But like you doing this whole like fake background of like you being in some like alien planet when you're an alien, I'm like, no, I just want to see you, like trapesing around Brentwood wearing your coss tome that's what I want personally, Simon, I was going to ask you, are your kids how many kids do you have?
Speaker 3: I have two?
Speaker 6: Okay, are they asking you like, are they excited for Halloween? Are they like already like, mom, I want to be this for Halloween? Are they even talking about that yet.
Speaker 3: A little bit?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They The thing is their costume desires or wishless changes all the time, Like Okay, one day they'll want to be Superman.
Speaker 3: One day they'll want to be a firefighter. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Kids have this really wonderful way of normalizing and celebrating the jobs during Halloween that we tend to disparage throughout the rest of the year. So you know, whether it's like construction workers or they just like the the they romanticize these vocations, and I think it's I think it's really cute.
Speaker 3: We have to figure out what they're gonna wear.
Speaker 2: I mean, my dream maybe one day we'll get to a point where we can do a family costume. That would be really fun. But for right now, I'm kind of just like, let them do their thing. Thank you Chill in the background here for support. Love Kirby, thank you so much for popping off with us today.
Speaker 4: Thank you both. I adore you both.
Speaker 6: It's been a pleasure being back and I hope to see you guys again soon.
Speaker 1: The Queen of Halloween, Kirby Johnson is a producer, writer, and co host of the beauty podcast Glas Angels. Follow her on socially Kirby Johnson to keep up with the latest in beauty and entertainment.
Speaker 2: It's time for another short break, but when we come back, we're sharing what's in our cart this week.
Speaker 3: Stay with us. We're back.
Speaker 2: It's Friday, so let's get ready for the weekend with What's in Your Cart presented by Walmart. Welcome to your Walmart. So this is our weekly segment where we have the opportunity to share a product that we are loving right now.
Speaker 3: What you got, Danielle.
Speaker 1: I love this segment so much. I love a good product. So last week, Simone, you were so kind to give me a white noise machine to help me with my Sleepy Girls guide to the weekend.
Speaker 3: It's the least I could do. How did it work out?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: I fell asleep listening to the ocean sounds, and you were right. It was amazing. I had a dream that I was on a cruise okay, I'm not mad about that. Well, since you were so sweet with me, I thought i'd return the favor. This week. I saw that you posted a before and after pick of you cleaning up your boy's bedroom, which was fantastic. It looked magical, but I can only imagine how stressful it actually was, so I wanted to get you this. It's a Delta Children's Space Adventures six spin design and store toy organizer.
Speaker 3: Wait what this sounds amazing.
Speaker 1: It's outer space themed and I love that it has these reusable vinyl stickers so the boys can change up the look, and the bins are different sizes so all of their toys can get tucked away neatly.
Speaker 2: Wait, this is so cute and I actually think this might incentivize my boys to clean their room.
Speaker 1: Oh magic.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 1: Okay, besties, that's it for today's show, thanks to our partners at Walmart.
Speaker 2: On Monday, we're joined by veteran journalist Connie Chung to talk about our trailblazing career and her new memoir.
Speaker 1: Connie, listen and follow the bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. The bright Side is a production of Hello Sunshine and iHeart podcasts, and is executive produced by Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 2: Production by Arcana Audio. Our producers are Jessica Wenk and Christa Ripple. Our senior producers are Janice Yamoka, IT'SI Kintania and Amy Padula. Our engineer is PJ. Shahamat.
Speaker 1: Arcana's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruzka. Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 2: Natalie Tulluck and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 1: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart. Tim Palazzola is our showrunner.
Speaker 2: This week's episodes were recorded by Josh Hook and Joel Morales. Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton Lighthouser.
Speaker 1: Special thanks to Connell Byrne and Will Pearson.
Speaker 2: I'm Simone Boyce. You can find me at Simone Boye on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: And I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok. That's ro O b a Y.
Speaker 3: We'll see you Monday, y'all.
Speaker 2: Keep looking on the bright side,