Speaker 1: Still world, would you your midsillion pieces.
Speaker 2: Would trot.
Speaker 3: Trodden guys, goals, non binary pals. Welcome to a bonuside of benanas Hi, Scotti Landis.
Speaker 2: Hey, Curtie B.
Speaker 4: Thanks everybody who's been listening and sending their support and love because they were concerned about Curtie B and our families and friends and loved ones and animals during this very strange time where wildfires ripped across Los Angeles. We're doing fine. We're feeling very lucky and grateful, and we're looking for ways to help and you should too.
Speaker 3: You know what I didn't expect to be doing in twenty twenty five, Scottie Is tell me that wiping my dog's paws off with from toxic materis that she's bringing into the house because we stepped through ash. That is not something I expected.
Speaker 4: Nope, I can understand why you did not. Yeah, strange times, very exhilarating, very strange. When I was evacuating, I could see the flames from the run in Canyon fire, and now you know that fight or flight, The flight kicks in and you go, go, baby go, Like it was. I was honking the horn all the way down and just making sure all the oldies in the neighborhood were aware that something might be happening, and turns out our neighborhood was spared. But just you know, big shout out, big thumbs up to all the EMT's first responders, firefighters everywhere. You guys did an incredible job with i mean facing literally impossible ods.
Speaker 3: I mean so impossible. Those winds were absolutely the craziest thing I've ever seen in Los Angeles. And just to give it, I mean, I'm sure maybe it's completely obvious at this point, but just to give an idea of the amount of area that was burned, Yeah, it's larger than the entire city of San Francisco. So like the nineteen oh six fire of San Francisco was something like I don't know, forty acres or something like that, or four I'm sorry, four square miles. This is fifty five square miles that has been burned in the city. So an entire other city inside our city does just simply doesn't exist anymore. So please any support you can give. Obviously, I think we're overstating this, but we appreciate all of it.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think we are. It was such a crazy thing.
Speaker 4: And also like with the hurricane, the floods in Ashville, the hurricanes that hit Florida all the time, you just start to go Okay, So we live on a planet and this is how it's going to go. And we can either live as in fear and terror all the time, or we can just do the best we can when bad things happen. And that's what we are going to do. I found out, Yes, so I got into the Garibaldina Society.
Speaker 3: Kurt I saw this and I was very interested about.
Speaker 4: So I got it. Here's my badge. I'm officially a member. So the Garibaldina Society, I believe, is the longest continual society of Italian culture and heritage in America. It was founded in eighteen seventy seven and time ago.
Speaker 3: It didn't even know La was around in eighteen seventy exactly.
Speaker 4: And then there was a secondary Italian society, the Benevolent Society, to make things better for immigrants. A big part of was teaching English to Italian immigrants and helping them set up jobs and just building community in a different country is the idea.
Speaker 3: And then it evolved over time trying to just get slightly better jobs than Irish people. That was a big competition. Yeah, for Italians in the eighty nineties.
Speaker 4: They're over twenty million Italian in Americans and they are the fifth largest ethnic group in America. Look, I'm learning all these things because I've joined the society.
Speaker 2: Now you might be.
Speaker 4: Saying, Scotti, old boy, Hell Italian are you? And the answer is zero percent? Zero percent. I do not have even one percent. I have one percent. I'm Jewish, one percent Jewish. I found that out, and so I guess I'm going to start my career telling Jewish jokes. Now that would be so insane of one percent. Suddenly they're like, he makes a lot of Jewish jokes.
Speaker 3: All those I can? I can. I'm actually one percent.
Speaker 2: I'm one percent.
Speaker 4: But it comes and goes depending on ancestries updates. So anyway, So I got sworn in, And what is this?
Speaker 3: What is involved? What does it give you access to?
Speaker 2: What is it?
Speaker 3: Tell me all about it?
Speaker 4: So it is a It has its own location where they can host up to three hundred and fifty people for dinners, for dancing, for charity events, for weddings, and it's basically a community members only club. You can bring guests and they do a they do one big pasta dinner every month, and then they do dinner and dancing and there's an amazing They.
Speaker 3: Have a bar.
Speaker 4: Oh, the bar is The bar is incredible. It's like a wood paneled bar. And then everyone's all.
Speaker 3: Very much from like the sixties maybe seventies. It's very well appointed. They've restored everything to what it used to be in the sixties and seems that's right.
Speaker 4: And then they do these fundraising nights at the bar where they bring in local chefs, some that are members, some that aren't, and they cook small plates and stuff, and then they have eight dollar martinis and they the line is down the block and around the door, but now a member and so it's all run by volunteers. They were electing the new president of the Baldina Society. Then they had to swear in. They keep minutes, all the old ladies keep an eye on the budget. We went through budget. So it was my first swearing in, which is there were about fifteen of us that all became members. Because it's starting in twenty seventeen, they decided to expand and allow non Italians in just to build better culture within the society. So luckily, my friend Mike Levanos and his wife Katie and their friends Mike and Amanda all remember.
Speaker 2: So I went to Apasta.
Speaker 4: Dinner and got invited back and then we danced. It was me danced with a bunch of old Italian ladies. You know what, you dress up in a suit. It's great. It's like a small event space that every small town everywhere in America has sort of their Elks Club or their Nights of Columbus whatever on the outskirts of town. It's that, but it's right in Los Angeles and it's incredible.
Speaker 2: So I got in.
Speaker 4: It took about, I guess about ten months, and I had to do an interview. They and like, how can I help. I'm like, I can park cars, I can bartend, I a waiter. I'll just stack chairs if you want me to. And then I got in. So they swore me in. There's a photo of me, like I got my badge. They all everybody there had to vote. We were all unanimously voted in and you have to raise your right hand and then you this gentleman, Dylan, this nice guy basically you spent his life as a part of the society. We repeat after him and we swear to add to the community and to help people out. And so it's great. And then afterwards there was a you guessed it baked ZD dinner, So we're eating Italian food and then this guy that I don't know his name. I'm meeting everybody at my table.
Speaker 2: It's really fun. Yeah, is like, guys, Alta Dina is on fire.
Speaker 4: Just want everybody to know that two Gary Baldina members have already lost their houses. I think everybody you might have. The lights are going in and out, flickering on and off. Lights are so power's going in and out. I have like a whole tray of Italian food. I'm trying to be so polite and sweet to everybody because I'm as new as you can be to the society. And Mike's like hanging with me. He was nice enough to come and watch me get sworn in and even though it's fairly boring. And then it was like, guys, there's a big fire now in the Hollywood Hills. And then Mike, who lives in the Mount Washington area. Then this guy goes, guys, power fire. The electric lines are down, and he's like i'p gotta go, and you could hear the wind whipping, And so it went from being sworn in and I thought this was gonna be a really fun social evening, meeting one hundred and fifty nice Italian people, most Italian women over seven years old. Yeah, you know, that's still right on the program and pencils all the notes in the It's adorable. And instead everybody got their Italian food to go and ran out the door and then sped back and by the time I got back, it was packed the bags. I was like strawberry, put it in the car and we just took off. It was great, It was wild. It was It went from me thinking I was gonna have a casual night of shaking hands and glad handing to speeding down the mountain and getting out of Dodge as fast as possible.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's crazy.
Speaker 2: But I'm a bit I was prepared.
Speaker 4: I have emergency Pelican cases for earthquakes and stuff.
Speaker 2: Those things. I could live.
Speaker 4: I had go bags ready, I had everything charged. I'm not a prepper, but I was ready to leave.
Speaker 3: To have used to have like one hundred cans of water. Still do cans of water? You still do still do cans see cans baby, Instead of plastic, I had plastic and I had to get rid of it because after a while, the plastic leeches into the water after like five years and can't use it anymore.
Speaker 2: I was so dumb, This is so dumb.
Speaker 4: I am kurt because I was thinking, you know, they're gonna have to rebuild all these houses, and they need to start learning how to build fireproof houses. Like that's just a reality, right, They're just going to have to build materials that don't.
Speaker 3: Three D printed houses are fireproof exactly. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, and then we have drones, right, I'm like, can't we get I don't know, fifteen thousand drones to pick up one cup of water each and go one hundred miles an hour from the ocean to a fire in the woods, And if we can make them look like dragons flying through the air, can't we just get drones to drop water on things like like bees, like bees attacking a fire.
Speaker 3: Now here's where my brain goes. Yeah, okay, you know how when.
Speaker 4: They show grease fires in your kitchen and you know you're not supposed to spray them with water, it makes it worse. So they always advertise those like blankets, fire blankets to smother the fire.
Speaker 3: I mean when you say always, I have never seen that advertised.
Speaker 4: Advertised Nope, fire blanket. Yeah, it just smothers it takes all the air outs. Fireproof blankets sounds good.
Speaker 3: So here's blanket.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's could just be a wet wayed blanket. When I'm thinking, every house needs a giant box that has a giant tarp the side has a gyant fire blanket kind of like when they do termite fumigating.
Speaker 3: Hmm.
Speaker 2: And when there's a fire, you pull a lever when you leave the house.
Speaker 3: Just inflates over your house.
Speaker 4: It just drapes a fire blanket over your entire house. And then you just have a simpler sprinkler on the top, just wetting that blanket for you. That's where my genius brain goes.
Speaker 3: The Yeah, what would the fire blanket be made of? Just metal or something? I don't even know. It's just like some weird fire cloth.
Speaker 2: That doesn't burn. Yeah, yeah, I'm I'm going in. I'm going on.
Speaker 3: I have a feeling a certempture things just to night underneath the fire blanket. But you know what, I like it. I like the fire blanket.
Speaker 4: I'm going on shark sharks, I need two million dollars for three percent equity. Uh and all it is is giant, ugly blankets on the top of our houses that may or may not fully roll down like curtains when a wildfire and everly happens.
Speaker 3: Well, did you read that article about the guy and the Palisades who because there had been a fire previously, like four years ago, he got like really obsessed with it. So he got yeah, I did. His friend sent him high fire retardant gel and the guy has because he lives in Palisades, he has a pool and a hot tub, and immediately when the fire started, dumped the fire retardant Jael into the hot tub, and then he had a generator with a with a hose and then sprayed the entire house with fire retarding to jail and then put the hose in the pool and then just kept wedding his house and his neighbors houses until he had to literally leave, and his was the only house that liked was standing. That's so crazy.
Speaker 2: It is so insane.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy.
Speaker 4: Anyways, thanks for all the support, Gang. It was incredible show. Of unity and humanity and empathy, and we feel it. And the people of la are probably still in shock, but they're going to rebuild. We're going to keep cranking out the movies. People are gonna need the yuck yucks and the he hauls and the oh wows. So we'll do our best.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: As you know, folks, on bonusides, we give advice and we do would you rathers? So I want to give a little bit of advice right here. This is a listener of banannimal sent this in here we go, Hi there, banana boys.
Speaker 5: My name is Ceci, and I need some advice on the creative side. So I do a lot of diving, which is kind of like scuba, but you're just holding your breath. And as part of that you get to wear these really cool big long fins. They're about the size of a skateboard deck, so think two and a half feet long and eight inches wide.
Speaker 2: I'm thinking they're really fun.
Speaker 5: But my problem is mine are a little boring. I have a friend who can design something for me and print it up. I just have no clue what to ask her to do. Unfortunately, bananas are off the table, as a lot of boat captains really don't like bring a banana on a boat.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 5: Some kind of superstition there. Now, if you were down under the water and you looked over, what drawing or picture would really make you giggle? I want to make everybody happy who sees these fins and I appreciate your help.
Speaker 3: This is CC. Thank you for the most specific advice question if we have ever been asked in the history of this podcast. And that is why I love it.
Speaker 2: It's so great.
Speaker 3: Scott. I don't know about you, but I'm watching free dive videos on Instagram all the time. Oh sure, d are you watching it? Oh my god, are you watching them?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 3: This is the thing that I that the that the algorithm's like, oh, you want to watch this person fall downwards for four hundred meters while holding their breath. I'm like, I do, I do. Indeed, I will watch for the entire four and a half minutes it takes for them to fall through darkness.
Speaker 4: There was a documentary I think that came out last year and I watched the whole thing too, because it's a it's a yes, it is fascinating opposite of what.
Speaker 2: Humans are supposed to do.
Speaker 4: We're not supposed to be underwater, and we're not supposed to swim towards the bottom.
Speaker 3: And then what I The thing that freaked me out the most was that that at a certain point, I had no idea that at a certain point you become negatively buoyant because there's just simply not enough air in your body anymore, because there's so the compression happens after like I don't know, sixty feet ninety feet or something like that, like three atmospheres that then you just start falling downwards. So they swim for a little bit, and then they just start falling, which seems to me to be the most terrifying. So they don't have to hold weights or anything like that. Their whole body just becomes heavy. So this is fascinating that you do this. And I am very familiar with the fins. The fins are very long, and so here's my pitch. My pitch is and I don't know if you can get it to come all the way up to your ankle. And this would primarily work if you Usually they wear those skins, those second skins, you know, to keep themselves warm. But if you ever were free diving, without them and you had bare legs.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, then.
Speaker 3: To then have an extension of your foot continue down so your calf is like two and a half feet longer than it is, and then right at the edges your foot at your toenails at the very end, and then the sides are just painted in with black.
Speaker 2: I think that's a great idea because you could be top and bottom. It could just look like your big old feet. You got some big old hoppit feet.
Speaker 3: You have super long log legs. You have two and a half foot longer legs that you are eight and a half feet tall. But it's all legs.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: It's all calf, it's all calves and ankles. You have the longest ankles in the world. That's so funny.
Speaker 2: To that's I got a second that vote.
Speaker 4: I think if you can make it just like like two giant feet top and bottom.
Speaker 3: Fantastic, that's amazing.
Speaker 4: I think you could get too yo Samity Sam holding his pistols back offs on there like the mudflap truck mud flaps.
Speaker 2: Put that on there.
Speaker 4: I also think there could be something where it says bottoms up, where it only makes sense when you're going down. When you're swimming down and your fins are up, it looks like something. I don't know what that would be, but I always thought the phrase bottoms up was so funny. Could you let's see, I guess if it's only the top. If I looked over at somebody and they were had long I mean, big big feet is the funniest thing. It's so funny look over and to see somebody look like they have two and a half long feet.
Speaker 3: Look, I have to specify this. It's not that they're wide. They are the exact same width as your actual legs, so they're just incredibly long. So it's not that you have big feet, it's that you have really long ankles.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's pretty damn good. I would laugh very hard if I saw somebody also. That seems pretty doable. It seems like I really Yeah, it's an easy one to do.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it has to be accurate looking, you know, but hell, you could do it. You could just make a photograph. You could literally print a photograph of actual feet.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's big enough where somebody could see it from a little bit away, because if it was, if it's too small, you know, you're in the water. You got, you gotta scuba mask on, you gotta snorkel a mask on. You can't see high details from ten feet away.
Speaker 3: And if there's a chance, if there's a chance this is a reference to an episode we just recorded that probably either comes out next.
Speaker 2: I think it'll beat it. I think it'll beat it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But if it just says barefoot buddies, now two feet making a hard shape, that would be great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think buddies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess if I have to give you another one, I would paint them to look whatever. The most common color is under the sea, So whatever matches the background of the ocean, that type of blue, that deep sea blue.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: How about a classic cartoon sausage links just just wrapped around in circles on both sides of it. Just seeing somebody swimming with some reddish cartoon tied together sausage links, I would enjoy that. I would enjoy if I looked over and saw somebody kicking sausage away from their feet really quickly, I would laugh.
Speaker 2: Every time.
Speaker 4: I feel like it has to have a long design so it does look like you're trying to get away from it. It just looks like sausage ropes are trying to catch up.
Speaker 3: To you that yatta, would you rather pound?
Speaker 2: Let me see? I do have a few.
Speaker 4: Oh, here's an interesting one, because when I read it, I instantly went one way, and then then I thought about tomort Okay, Trevor bergiereo or b tever. I think it's Bergieiro, says curtain Scottie. Hello, that's us, that's us. We then banana boys. Would you rather be able to eat anything you want without any negative consequences? Or every time you drink alcohol you get a perfect buzz and can keep drinking with getting wasted or hungover, So you could eat you could eat junk food, you can eat ice cream ten times a day and you're not going to get fatter and you're not going to have.
Speaker 2: Cholesterol and hard issues.
Speaker 4: Or every time you drink you get immediately to a perfect buzz and you can keep drinking without ever getting too drunk or hungover.
Speaker 3: Ah, but I assume that that's the benefit. You still but then like you get all the drawbacks of drink, right, that's right, where you get you gain weight, you don't sleep well, you know, you feel out of it, right, Okay, I'm going to go for food, easy, peasy, I'm going for food.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's me too, because there's certainly when you travel and there's certain food. Sometimes you go to a place and you're like, this is so good. I think we have to cancel dinner because I ate too much. And then you're so bumped because you didn't get to go have that po boy you were thinking about. Yeah on Lake Ponta train sometimes, and there there's a deep sadness when you, God, what first world problems. My apologies, my apologies, this is so bougie. It's my apologies, But there is a sadness when you're somewhere and you eat such a big, delicious lunch that you have to cancel what you know would have been a delicious dinner. And I if I could just keep going without any consequences, Well, well but what if food got.
Speaker 2: Boring to you?
Speaker 3: What if food got boring to you?
Speaker 2: What if without limits?
Speaker 3: Scotty we Okay, first off, time out, I have essentially been living this way for my entire life.
Speaker 4: Okay, all that is true, and it it never gets boring, that's true, but I just haven't.
Speaker 3: But I've also just been becoming more and more unhealthy because of it. But I do eat, you know. I I also, you know, track my calories. I go on big spurts. I go three months on, three months off. I get really healthy for three months and then I get really unhealthy for the other three months. So it just keeps going like this, and I always kind of stay right in the middle. Yeah, that's true, But it never ever gets boring. That's what's fascinating about food.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're a big you have a wide palette though you eat it all man, which I appreciate because I do too well.
Speaker 2: Like, Yeah, when you and I are.
Speaker 4: On the road and we go to Bizarro Cuban restaurants in Pittsburgh or Delicious Restaurants Fusion Restaurants in Portland, you and I never have to say do you want to eat this?
Speaker 2: It's just yeah, should we get the blah blah blahs? Should we get the muscles? Yes?
Speaker 3: Should we get the I was always thinking about that. Somebody asked me, like, what is something you wouldn't eat? And I thought about it and I was like, I don't. I pretty much eat everything me too, like black licorice.
Speaker 2: I love black liquor I know people like gross I'm like, that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like it. It's I recently ate. I was at a restaurant where someone else was like, come on, we're going out and I'm taking care of it. So we're going to go somewhere. And it was a tasting menu and on the menu was sweetbreads, and I had had sweetbreads in the past, which are like, as I understand it, just like the intestines and different different organ yeah, and I was like, I'm gonna do it. I was like, yeah, I'm gonna eat I'll eat everything. And it was a bowl.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's too much of sweetbreads.
Speaker 3: It was so much, and I and at the end of it, I was like, I don't think in the future I'm going to eat that. That was my first time where I was just like, I think that I've had enough of that richness. That richness was so rich it overpowered everything else about the meal.
Speaker 4: Yes, well, yeah, I'm with you, but I'm the same way. It's like I say that, and then I have started to lose interest in oysters. I think that there are too many places.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I've lost interest. They used to be my favorite thing.
Speaker 4: I remember, I remember celebrating any small achievement with you at Ribbon in Hey.
Speaker 3: Look at we're up at two in the morning, isn't that amazing? Let's go to Blue Ribbon together.
Speaker 4: You guys would always treat me, and I still remember it, and it was some of most fun nights because you'd like, just come, we're celebrated, just come, and you guys would always pay, but we would always we would do the oyster shooters there, and they had really good oyster shooters there. Those were Those are to this day my standard of they were.
Speaker 3: Selling good Blue Ribbon oyster shooters back in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 4: That, Yeah, that was a special treat for a guy. That was like eating two dollar grays Papia dogs are two two for one dollar gray Papa dogs. Yeah, and as in the dollar sliced pizza, and then wherever I could find it. Amm the Moon's Falaffel. Shout out the Moon's on Saint.
Speaker 3: Mark's shot at moons.
Speaker 2: How many of the.
Speaker 4: Moon's Falaffels did you eat when you were in New York five thousand?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was so good and so cheat.
Speaker 4: It was three dollars or four dollars for the sharm. It was direct next to Grassroots, which was a great dive bar that when that one left. When Grassroots closed, it just made go into Saint Mark's not interesting to me anymore.
Speaker 3: It was the only bar that you could really kind of function at that wasn't we like it just like either like we're crust punks and we our dads just gave us a trust fund, or like weird, like we're we're from Japan and we like punk rock music. Like that was the only people in Saint Mark's. Yes, And then there was that one little bar that was nice.
Speaker 4: And it had pictures and weirdly, you'll probably remember this as I say it, their pictures were like eight dollars, nine of ours ten dollars. But they had a seven dollars pitcher a happy hour six hours of amber Bach of michelob Amberbach was their cheap beer. And I'll net, I mean they must have sold, because I never drank michelob Amberbach until And the bartender was this old guy and definitely an alcoholic, because he would be drinking while bartend, and those picture prices there would be like seven dollars and the next time he'd be like five dollars, and the next time he'd make three dollars, and my friends would be like that guy just charged me three dollars for this picture, and then like, well.
Speaker 2: Go get another one.
Speaker 4: Shout out and rest in peace to Grassroots, one of the great dive bars in the oughts.
Speaker 3: Here's one right now for Mikelobe. I just don't feel like I see michelobe enough. I remember my first bottle having a michelobe was a jersey at a bowling alley and the bottle was shaped kind of like.
Speaker 2: A long butt plug.
Speaker 3: Sexy, a long butt Well, those were the little ones, right, those are the little ones with the long butt plugs. But then they had the ones that were like kind of fat in the middle and then fat on the bottom. I guess that's a long button. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Still still, we'll post a photo of an original michelobe and they had the gold label on the top.
Speaker 3: Really a beautiful, very seventies design. And sitting at a bowling alley bowling and drinking a michelob was like now here, I'm in a little bit of heaven.
Speaker 4: Well, you know what's funny is that michelob ultra is so popular now, like they just are all in on ultra and when you go to Let's say we're in a Red State, Kurt, and let's say you go to a bar where you go, well, let's see what the Red States do. Half the dudes in there drinking Mick Ultra's. It's like the to me, the wimpiest sports beer there is, but then it's winning. Mick Ultra is a hit in the Red States.
Speaker 3: Look at that. Make Aloe found a way to make it.
Speaker 4: From long butt plugs to sports beer in the Red States. Mikelobe, Oh man, do you.
Speaker 3: Got another one?
Speaker 2: Do you got it?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: I got uh?
Speaker 4: Here's oh, here's an advice. This is so simple. Julia is asking us what items can I carry around with me to make life a little sillier. It's like stuff in your pocket book, your pockets, your fanny pack, your your satchel.
Speaker 3: This is an item that I carry around with me, and I find it to be so incredibly pleasing. It is. I got it at the silver Ball Museum in Asbury Park, New Jersey, which is a pinball arcade on the boardwalk, one of my favorite places in the universe. Yeah, and they sell pinballs for ten bucks. And you can buy a pinball and the weight and heft of having a pinball in the jacket pocket in the winter time, to curl your hand around it feels amazing. It's satisfying, it centers you. That's my suggestion.
Speaker 4: Well, that's nice. That's totally unexpected and nice.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that. A couple things.
Speaker 4: One, I used to make business cards all the time for myself and I would put I'm sure Kurt got one, and I would hand them out because when I was not in the industry and trying to break in, I just wanted to make people laugh. And so one was a really tan this guy was in a speedo standing on a beach, very muscular tan guy with a beautiful hair blown perm mullet thing, and then it said Scottie Landis and then underneath it and quotes it said billionaire. And then it just was my email. And I made two hundred of them. I used to give them to friends, but then when I would go by any community bulletin board, I would just thumbtack it up there. And I did it once at the old absent house on Bourbon Street. I've mentioned Louisiana twice this episode, and somebody emailed me and was like, are you really a billionaire? I found this and sent me a photo of it. And I used to just leave business cards with just my email, like not enough personal information, with a photo of somebody else and something dumb written on it, and people would write to me. They would be like, hey, dude, I saw this and I was here, and it's a fun thing to do because you can give it to your friends. Also useful. You could actually write your real number on the back and hand it to somebody.
Speaker 3: So I would say, do you get one?
Speaker 2: I print some business cards?
Speaker 3: Print business cards. In late high school early early college, for me, I was like obsessed with not too much, but phone freaking. Do you know? Do you know what I'm talking about? Phone freaking? So they're payphones, public payphones. There was all these different codes that you put into public payphones to get free calls, to get uh there's certain ones. There was always like the legend that like you could get it to dump all of its quarters out. Yes I never figured out, but I did know the code to like be able to make free phone calls. And you there was another one where you would like hold a box up that would make us clicking zone to the clicking sounds into the thing and you could get them, you could like send away from them, and then that would like have that would be a long distance calls, long distance calls, international calls, all payphones. And because of my interest in doing that, I got in. So there was a there was a business card machine in the CVU Square Mall in New Jersey, and it was like it was supposed to. I guess you had to feed money into it, or maybe it took credit cards. It doesn't seem like it would take credit cards because it was the nineties. But if you typed something like free two fifty into it after you ordered up all your like business cards, it would then just print two hundred and fifty free business cards. So we all had business cards, and we all would just type free two fifty into it, and then it would just give them to us in credible. The mind said, of course, it didn't make any sense. It's not as simple and funny as just quotes billionaire. It was it said Pooch and Doodle metaphysical pet company smart and then it just had my phone number in my email address. Yea, so it must I must have been in college.
Speaker 2: Julia makes some business make fifty business cards.
Speaker 4: It's very cheap. You could do it so easy on line. Put nonsense on it. Put something that you're not on there, don't evenin you use your real name, and either hand them to strangers when it doesn't matter you're never gonna see that person again, or just post them up on corkboards at the grocery store you're traveling, Leave them in books at the library, at a bookstore for somebody to find the.
Speaker 2: Little treasure later.
Speaker 3: I put it in the Bible.
Speaker 4: Put in the Gideon Bible. The Gideons are just still cranking those Bible. Where are the Gideons?
Speaker 2: And why?
Speaker 4: What factory? How many trees are the Gideons hacking down every year?
Speaker 3: They must have purchased an old nuclear missile facility and they're just buried in the Utah bad lands.
Speaker 4: Everybody, make some business cards. If you come to Bananas live shows, please give them to us. I will keep every one of them. But just make absurd business cards and leave them around. Whatever you think is funny will work. Also sidebar, this is one that Okay, you know that costume tooth black. It's the stuff you can paint on your teeth that make them look like you're missing teeth.
Speaker 2: A vile of that is about eight dollars.
Speaker 4: If you go out with your good friends, So you're going over your friend's house to watch movies, have some drinks, play cards, whatever you're gonna do, look at your phones. You're going over your fen so you can all look at your phones and occasionally.
Speaker 2: Talk to each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, take tooth black and say, everybody, you have to paint two of your teeth black and leave it that way for the rest of the night. It is the fucking funniest It's so small, Kurt. But then you look at your friend and if my front two missing, laugh out loud, so funny. But if you do like a lower one and an upper one on the opposite side, and your friend's like, I think Greg and I are going to get divorced, it's so funny because you're just like, well, I bet you are, and you need to get to the dentist, so tooth black in your purse. It really is the silliest idea I can't describe. When you look at people you've known you're for twenty years and then they're missing teeth that they're not supposed to be missing, it gets so silly. And then they look at you and they start laughing too. So those are fake business cards to make other people happy or you'reself happy, and then carry a little tooth black around, take it to parties, make everybody paint one tooth black.
Speaker 2: It is so funny to me. I got more, Bud, I got so many.
Speaker 3: Do you have one that is a hypothetical?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, I love a hypothetical.
Speaker 4: M hypothetical. If you could smell any smell? Oh, this is from Barbara. Thank you, Barbara. If you could smell any smell whenever you wanted, wherever you wanted, anytime, what smell would you have t have to smell? Meaning you walk in any room, you smell your shirt, you go outside, take a deep breath. You can make it smell like one smell. And Barbara says, hers apples and cinnamon.
Speaker 3: All right, Scotty, what do you think? What's yours?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: Is this is tough? This is tough?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll go while you think this is tough, I immediately know it is the smell, and I don't find it much anymore. And I must be the way the ducting works on my house. But I used to always smell it in Michigan. It was the smell of dryer exhaust when you're using a uh sheet, a specific dryer sheet, and I'm not sure which which it was. For some reason that smell and it used to be there used to be a vent on the side of the house and it would and it was when it was cold out it would actually come out as like missed kind of because it was very hot and wet. That smell to me was I don't know why. It's signified home comfort. Yeah, it's signified comfort. It signified and there was also a unexplained kind of almost time travel essence to it of something that I've never experienced, but I know that I love like when you were in a dream and you're in love with someone and you know you've never seen their face. Has this ever happened to you where you've like seen a person you know you're in love with them and you know them deep like crying and I and I can and I but it's not a person I know in this world. It's that that that kind of a feeling is smelling that to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that takes me back too, because like when you're a kid and you'd be have a snow day or snowed over weekend, you'd sled all day with your friends, snowball fight, you destroy yourselves. You've already gone to one friend's house, had hot chocolate, and you put your wet clothes back on, which is the nightmare. Yes, and then you trudge back home, dragging your sled behind you through the snow, and then.
Speaker 2: You see your house.
Speaker 4: Yes, but I can remember the steam and I didn't think about that, but there was always a spot of grass under there, because the steam would melt the grass on that one little patch, and you knew you were getting close. Oh man, that's a good memory. I totally forgot about that. That's a really funny visual because, yeah, you would see that little hole in the snow where the steam from the dryer, probably drying the wet snow clothes you wore the day before. Remember those gloves. I'm sure they still make them, but they I used to have transformers ones.
Speaker 3: Freaky freezies. Yeah, yeah, I love them.
Speaker 4: They still make Where it was blank and then you go outside and they get cold, and then the images come onto.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it would be like like a mountain or something.
Speaker 2: God, that's the best.
Speaker 3: God, damn it, that's the best. And well in every piece of article of clothing. Now with that on it, it's probably incredibly toxic. That's the answer.
Speaker 4: Well, we saw it something. We had those bananas hypercolor style shirts, the heat changing shirts.
Speaker 2: And when we pitched that idea that old.
Speaker 4: Company not exactly right to the other company that made our merch they were like, really, these are gonna be like forty bucks. And then the fastest thing we've ever sold were the color changing shirt.
Speaker 3: Let's bring back the color chat.
Speaker 4: I know, let's get a new design. I like the best in the biz design, but yeah, like, let's do that and then make them hyper colored shirts.
Speaker 2: I think those were so fun. Okay, anyways, back for the colored shirts.
Speaker 3: There's no reason there isn't really a reason to have any type of any other type of shirt at this point other than a hypercolor shirt. I would love a jacket. I would love a jacket that inside is white and outside is a different color. I would love that.
Speaker 2: Mmmmm, give it to me, folks, Yeah, I know, somebody.
Speaker 3: It's the future. Give it to me.
Speaker 2: Your clothes need to change color all the time in the.
Speaker 3: Future the time everywhere.
Speaker 4: Well, they're making those new BMW's and stuff that you can change the color of your car. It has like a skin on it, And I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, shut up, gosh, what shut up?
Speaker 2: It's so dorky. Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: You can change the color of your car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it has like a skin on it that can be white black. Like you could change the color of your car. You can click a button and changes the color your car. I do believe it. It's so boring to me. That's so boring. I think it's supposed to be creative, and instead I'm like, this sucks. This is so uninteresting to me. Now, if you could make it do stuff and say stuff like, say, make it look like two giant like it makes you look like you're sitting naked in your own car going really fast or dangling from the steering wheel. It looked like your hands are on the steeling one of the rest of your body was along the side the car and the feet were flapping.
Speaker 3: All right, No, no, I'm interested.
Speaker 2: I'll slap in.
Speaker 4: My Discover Cary. You're getting my my diner's up guard. Anyways, back to the smell. You know what smell like and I know you like this too, is the smell of and it's not.
Speaker 2: Dissimilar when you're at the beach. Yeah, lay a towel out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're laying face down on a clean towel at the beach with sun tan, locean on.
Speaker 2: So it's that combination.
Speaker 4: Of warm laundry, ocean breeze, and the coconuty smell of you know, copper tone, and you just bury your.
Speaker 3: Face on the specific smell of copper tone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you dig a little hole for your face so you can lay kind of flat and that smell of your face in a sand hole on your towel with some block on that. I if I could close my eyes and do that, I would be a happy guy instead of I love that.
Speaker 3: That's a good so much. I would also just say the ocean in general, if I could smell the ocean. And here's the thing. Here's the thing about this question. This is a good one. But smells for the human brain, I find they have to be fleeting otherwise they're noxious, like like if you have it all the time, it's too much. That is the unique impermanence of smell. It is a it's a wild smells a. It is one of the wildest senses of the senses.
Speaker 4: Scottie, Yeah, I would say it's one of the five wildest absolutely.
Speaker 3: Hear it, you heard it here, folks, smell is one of the five wildest setses we have and that is all the time we have for this sweet, sweet bonusode episode. Thank you so much to everyone exactly right. Thank you to Katie Levine, our producer. Thank you to Lisa Maggot, are live, totally human interned, part time and time employee, and thank you Scotty Landis.
Speaker 4: Thank you Kurt Brown Oler. Guys, We'll see you in twenty twenty five. Keep up your dry sixty nines, keep being good people, donate blood at their and on team Bananamals, and just have a great life. This week, Bananas Bananas is an exactly Right media production.
Speaker 3: Our producer and engineer is Katie Levine.
Speaker 4: The catchy Bananas theme song was composed and performed by Kahon.
Speaker 3: Artwork for Bananas was designed by Travis Millard, and.
Speaker 4: Our benevolent overlords are the great Karen Kilgareff and Georgia Hartstart
Speaker 3: And Lisa Maggott is our full human, not a robot intern