Speaker 1: Smell us Now, Lady, welcome to Meet Eater Trivia Meta Podcast. Welcome to Media Radio Line. It's eleven am, Montana time. It's snowing like the Dickens out there. Charles Dickens. Phil. It's Thursday, March twenty. We're live here from Meat Eater HQ and bos Angelus, Montana, the Greater bos Angelus Metropolitan Area. I'm your host, Ryan cal Callahan. With me today is doctor Randall Williams. I like to give him one of these, Doctor Randall Williams, and who actually knows how to use her fists? Schneider Gran, what would you do instead of this?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not great at punching, but it's more like a headlock type.
Speaker 1: Sure. Sure, she's all about submission. That's what is that?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 1: Right? Keep going? When was last time you were in a dojo? Phil?
Speaker 3: There's another bullet point beneath that one.
Speaker 1: We have all sorts of great stuff for you today, including fake news hosted by Doctor Randall. Guests such as Tidepool Tim from Gulf of Maine Ink, which I'm super excited for. You got some great questions for tide Pool Tim and Jordan Sellers, who, as you know, contributes a heck of a lot around the Old Meat Eater universe, from editorial to working on Cow's Weekend review, all your awesome like gun controversial, highly controversial gun on gun episode or article articles thank you on the website. Jordan has been working on a super cool new project in the true crime genre. Yeah, we're very excited to bring that to you. Phil's gonna make that noise the whole time because we don't have that's probably like the Law and Order theme song thing is probably not something that we can just rip off. Anyway, I'm gonna start off the show by giving you what you really want, which is like a policy in Federal Lands Update in the segment that somebody decided to call callan leashed. Oh wow, that's great. I'm so glad I cut my own hair for this. It's true. Do you think I paid for it? Come on, okay, Public Lands Update. We're gonna start with the good stuff first. A tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, one of the highest federal courts in all of the land, just issued their judgment their decision on the second Federal appeal of the Corner Crossing case in Wyoming. This is huge for folks who aren't familiar with corner crossing, you will be shortly. Phil's gonna bring it up for you. If we can't get it up there, go to on X corner locked report and it just gives you a very good, easy breakdown of what we're talking about. But it's checkerboard and where the corners of the squares come together. That is how our land system's kind of broken down in the US. So stepping from one piece of public let's say, a black square to a black square at that corner, seems very straightforward, and by God, according to the judges it is. If you can wrap your head around this, stepping from public land to public land is legal. That's pretty much it. That's pretty much the update. A lot of people don't understand why this is controversial. It never should have been. Please read the decision out of the Tenth Circuit Court, a really great read, some good history on how these lands came together and how certain unsavory folks decided to try to tie up a bunch of Western land, miles and miles and miles, hundreds of millions of acres of western land through strategic purchases of small chunks of private land in an effort to block folks out of public land. I have a bunch of internal knowledge on this. But James Harrington, who we call him Jim, he was a board member for Backcountry Hunters and Anglers North American board member. He gave me an assessment of the situation because this still can be appealed by ironbire holdings, and so that you know, it's a threat that this may not be actually over. But according to Old Jim, he says, the judge or the judge is there's a whole list of judges in the Tenth Circuit. They were appointed by George Bush, Ronald Reagan, and Obama. This case ain't getting turned over at the Supreme Court, and it's the law until it's not. And the Supreme Court probably wouldn't even be able to hear an appeal for two to three years. So what that means is they upheld the original Federal court decision in the Ninth Circuit at the Tenth Circuit. This applies to basically basically like Tenth Circuit jurisdiction, which is Utah, Colorado, Wyoming. These little spits of Yellowstone National Park, the y NP that that stick out into Idaho and Montana, but not elsewhere. However, this is the big thing states like Montana that have a lot millions acres of corner locked land. This is the only case that has ever been tried to address this specific question. So let's say I go out here in my home state and I do crazy thing of stepping from public land to public land, and somebody says I don't like that, and they want to they want to sue take me to court. Their lawyer would say, hey, I want to take all your money. For sure. Don't want to get in the way of that. But just so you know, here's a Wyoming case, Here's a ninth Circuit court case, here's a tenth circuit court case that all says this is totally legal, and by the way, it always has been. So I'll take your money. We can take this dude to court, but this is what we're up against. You shouldn't do that, OK. But that that's where we're at right now. So a big round of applause, huge, huge thanks to Wyoming back huntry hunters and anglers who were the folks who got a whole of the Missouri corner crossers and said, hey, we got your back. We're gonna do whatever we can to raise money for your legal fees and Backhountry hunters and anglers for backing up Wyoming BHA and super proud to say that here at Meat Eater we kicked in a bunch of cash and facilitated a bunch of cash through our land access initiative, and tons and tons of thanks to all of the folks in the Meat Eater world who contributed to that, because this is the result. Millions of acres of land formerly corner locked have now been unlocked through common sense. That just took a long time to get to it. Yeah, what'd you think of my rundown corn?
Speaker 2: I thought that was great, especially yeah, that it's ten circuit court jurisdiction. When I first saw that, I was just wondering when I first saw the headline what states it applies to. But you know, that's the power of precedent. It might be a deterrent for you know, people to potentially bring lawsuits if this were to happen in other states. Yeah, outside of tenh circuit jurisdiction.
Speaker 1: Speaking with the legal team, one piece of insider info was the judge that we got does not like us and so for this judgment to come out of that judge, they were super super stoked.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Great, Yeah, so that was really cool. All right. Next big piece of news that affects all of us is the Interior Department Secretary Burgham and hud led by Secretary Oh sorry, where's my notes here, Scott Turner. Okay, we're gonna have a lot of acronyms here, but I'm gonna try to get through this really quick, uh joint statement, okay. And and resources or your sources in general are very important here. So a tool that I've been using lately is the Federal Register. Okay. So anything that happens with our federal government, it's supposed to be transparent. So there's documentation on the Federal Register every single day of all of this stuff. That is the source material. Okay. There may be a little bias and interpretation on my part here and there, but that's why you should get off your butts and go read it for yourself, the Federal Register.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: And this is a statement out of the Department of the Interior and out of the what is it, Housing Authority, Housing and Urban Development? Housing and urban Development. I just want to jump in really quickly for the very first time in radio life. Looks like we're having some some connection issues. I don't even know if you can hear us or see us right now. If that's the case, people listening to the podcast the next day, this will be you'll be able to hear everything perfectly fine. So, because it is the first time this has happened, I don't know what's going to happen to the video, but I think we just just keep rolling on with the show, Cal because oh streamyard crash, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, my internet is down.
Speaker 5: Oh the whole the whole okay, great, Well for the podcast people, we're going to leave this in the You know, it looks like the internet crashed for the for the whole building.
Speaker 1: So that's great, fantastic, shouldn't.
Speaker 3: Be a big deal. No, Cal, why don't you just keep carrying on?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean no, I don't think we should now. I think we should figure out what's going on here. Wait until this comes back up.
Speaker 1: Are we back?
Speaker 3: Can you hear us?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Please?
Speaker 5: People in the live chat let me know if if we are back on. We had internet drop out for the whole building here.
Speaker 1: Jeff Widra has a great question. Did you unplug it and plug it back?
Speaker 3: Okay, yep, guys, this is an unprecedented technical error. Yeah, out of our hands.
Speaker 1: I see a bunch of you guys are pointing towards Elon Musk taking us down. You know, we can't confirm or deny that corner.
Speaker 2: Thanks boondogging.
Speaker 3: Well, let's get back to the old federal lands.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, sorry, so hopefully folks remember the Federal Register. Okay, it's it's the the daily documentation of what's going on in the government. That's the source material. Here. We had our Interior Secretary Doug Bergham, and why can't I remember Scott Turner's name? At the Housing and Urban Development they made a joint statement saying the Interior Department oversees more than five hundred million acres of federal land, much of it suitable for residential use. Streamlining the regulatory process is a cornerstone of this partnership. Historically, building on federal land is a nightmare of red tape, lengthy environmental reviews, complex transfer protocols, in disjointed agency priorities. This partnership will cut through the bureaucracy. Interior will reduce the red tape behind land transfers or leases to public housing authorities, nonprofits, and local governments. Housing and urban development will ensure these projects align with affordability goals and development needs. This isn't a free for all to build on federal lands, although we recognize that bad faith critics will likely call it that, it's a strategic effort to use our resources responsibly while preserving our most beautiful land. Well, a little trick for you when we talk about public speaking is you don't feed your audience the things that then spawn bad faith criticism, such as saying that much of five hundred million acres of public land is suitable for housing, or that you're going to remove the regulations such as environmental reviews and oversight which is currently happening, because that does create like a bad faith critic. Yes, and I'll just say, like I don't have a whole lot of faith here that what we've seen in the last two months is capable of making well thought out decisions, right. I'm referring, of course to the super metallic off brand Doge Chainsaw. What we need here is well thought out decision making. I was like visibly physically distraught and angry when this came out because I just do not like where this is heading. The reality, though, is that there has always been a process for selling federally managed land that's provided for in what is referred to as FLIPMA, which is Federal Land Policy Management Act, and there's a ceiling of twenty five hundred acres before Congress would have to be involved in the decision to release larger tracts of land. It's nice that the stuff's provided for. Everything is supposed to go through an environmental review called NIPA, which is the National Environmental Policy Act, came in in nineteen seventy. You know, like basically the seventies were this kind of point in time where people were like, oh my god, we've almost killed off things. Now we can bring them back. Notably at that time, like bald Eagles and DDT right, that was a government action and people could see the benefits of protecting the environment. I'm trying to wrap this up because I wrote like two thousand words on this, which I'll put in like the Cow's Week in Review podcasts. We can keep your all snappy here, but basically, we only have so much land will never be enough. Our population keeps rising. The idea that we're at some like a crazy critical mass and it just has to happen right now is total malarchy. It's super shortsighted. Yes, we need more affordable housing, and this land is so valuable if you actually think in the long term that these processes that we have in place from the Council of Environmental Quality, which is supposed to be the executive I don't know liaison for NEPA, they're supposed to be able to talk to the agencies say this is how NPA, which started out as a four page document four pages, which is pretty darn efficient in nineteen seventy, how that is supposed to be implemented, what's supposed to be taken into consideration, and then they tell the president what it is the CEQ NEPA. That's not something that says a project cannot happen. All it's supposed to say is here is what is at risk, here's what could happen to what is ever on the ground, and also here's what could happen if we did nothing. It's really an accountability exercise for the US government that says, here is our impact, this is what we knew when we took an action, we knew the possible implementation, the ramifications of our actions. Right, there's a great this is from you gotta listen to this. This is like the best best quote. This is nineteen seventy our government. Senator Henry Jackson state, it's mister President. It is my view that NEPA has passed by the Senate and now, as agreed upon by the Conference Committee, is the most important and far reaching environmental and conservation measure ever enacted by the Congress. NEPA is a congressional declaration that we do not intend, as a government or as people to initiate actions which endanger the continued existence or the health of mankind. That we will not initially initiate actions which will do irreparable damage to the air, land, and water which support life on earth. That was written in nineteen seventy by our government. And what has happened, basically, to wrap this up in a tidy as nutshell as we can, we have a process for selling federally managed public lands. They're supposed to be looking for marginal lands that they determine to be marginal, of which I will be honest, like we do have chunks of lamb that are not providing like major ecological benefits, not beautiful habitat, you could make the case. And literally under the Biden administration, this happened. Under the first Trump administration, this happened, and it's happened prior to that, where we have made decisions to sell public land to municipalities, trade it to other entities. And some of that's happening right now. And they're like weird things that are like this is a chunk of grind that currently exists within an airport that is a federal chunk of ground right like it's it's fenced off jets land on the damn thing Like it's not of environmental you know, value to us. So there are things like that. What I am asking is that the controls that have been put in place to value these lands and value the impacts that we are going to have on these lands actually remain in place. However, the NEPA process is right now in a thirty day review to be rolled back CEQ right the administration that that is there to interpret NEPA, which can, by the way, already set carve outs within the process to make things super fast. And something that has been used many many times over many administrations. The new secretary or not secretarial order, but the new marching orders for CEQ are too basically do the NEPA thing. But keep in mind that we're going to cap you on time spending and if a entity that wants the land comes to you with their own review, that should be prioritized over the NEPA review, which is a little concerning to me because we are not making any more land. It's only going to be more valuable. Why sell it? Now? That's that's kind of my rant. I can go way way on and I will on my own podcast, not not for you good people. Phil.
Speaker 3: Should we go to Tidepool Tim? Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do Tiple Tim first.
Speaker 5: Then how about we hit fake news after Tidepool.
Speaker 1: Let's do that sound good? Yeah, let's bring him in if you want to set that up. Cal Oh, oh, we're gonna go to Tidepool Tam right now. Yeah, we're around at all, right, coming in from Cobbs Cook Bay, excited to learn how to really say that is Gopher Maine inks. Tim Sheam aka aka Tidepool Tam Timmy there, Hello, welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: Well, thanks for having me on today.
Speaker 7: It's kind of a cold, windy day here on the coast of Maine.
Speaker 6: We're way up the coast, right on the border.
Speaker 7: With Atlantic Canada, so I mean, I don't like to swim, but for about five miles as the crow flies across to the New Brunswick and then of course Nova Scotia and the Bay of Fundy.
Speaker 1: Well, according to TV and Stephen King and all the other things about Maine, it's always cold, gray and windy there it is.
Speaker 7: And we had hoped to join you guys at low tide, which was a couple hours ago, but right now we're about mid tide or so, and you can see behind me this huge tidal river that's flowing in and a lot of what we do here and my ability to have this marine supply business is because of all of this moving water and all the productivity and this amazing abundant ecosystem.
Speaker 6: So I'm excited to share that with you guys and you're listeners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you give us a quick breakdown of what Gulf of Maine is, what you guys do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's kind of a funny little business.
Speaker 7: I used to teach high school biology and at the time I had my summers off, of course, and I started to go down by the shore and pick up a little bit of seaweed here, and some starfish there, and some seashells, and.
Speaker 6: I thought, man, there's got to be markets for this stuff.
Speaker 7: And over the past twenty some years we have markets with cosmetic companies, with bait companies, with agricultural fertilizer companies, food ingredients, scientists, researchers, aquariums, and pretty much if you need anything from the ocean typle, Tim, I'm your guy good man to know that net it. You know, we're like the RCMP.
Speaker 3: We always get our man love it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: So what kinds of plants and creatures are you harvesting and or growing? Like, what are your some of your best sellers?
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, we do sell a lot of seaweed. And ever since COVID came on, you know, people were scared and hold up in their apartments and houses and freaking out where they're going to survive, And so a lot of people came to us looking for things like Irish moss to make sea moss gels and bladder rack and kelp. So that's certainly one of our main stays are seaweeds for human consumption. But the business started really on scientific specimens, and you know, it could be a teacher in Ohio that's got elementary class and she would just like some real live starfish.
Speaker 6: To share with her students.
Speaker 7: So we put them in a box with some water, some oxygen and FedEx or ups overnight. So a lot of marine organisms. They could be hermit crabs, they might be sea urchins. We go out and net up plankton, you know, the stuff that whales and filter feeders eat, and we sell that by the gallon. One of our biggest and probably the hottest selling item right now are our fishing worms and our marine baths, specifically blood worms, and we're shipping these dtc all around the country, great big worms as thick as a sharpie and twelve inches sixteen inches long sometimes. So this time of year, everyone and their brothers going fishing, and we're getting calls, you know, every five minutes and orders from the website.
Speaker 2: I was on your site looking at the things that you have for for us to snack on, and I came across limpets or limp pets is it limpets limpets, and I have i'd not known what they were called. I think that I ate those in France a number of years ago. Would that would those be the same species? And can you just describe for our audience what they are? They look kind of like the the little hats that rice farmers in Asia wear to me if that visual makes sense?
Speaker 7: And yeah, they're they're really If you're ever eaten, avaloni is essentially a malis or type clam if you will, that only has one shell, and they stick to a hard surface such as a rock, a shell and other organism. And what they do is they are they're going along the rock and they're eating the seaweed, the algae.
Speaker 6: And you know what, if you want to eat an.
Speaker 7: Oyster, there's two shells. You're sticking the oyster knife and open. Imagine half an oyster always open. You just have to peel it off the rock. So these limpus might be the size of a quarter down to I mean, this morning we filmed some that were the size of popcorn kernels. But inside is that fleshy foot, their gill, their gonad and a really tasty, salty, griny little tidbit. So I'm sure I don't think it, probably in France if they were the same species, but certainly would be in the same family.
Speaker 2: And then also I noticed the sea cucumbers. Who's who's buying those? And then for you, how do you like to eat or prepare those? I know some folks in the office when they harvest sea cucumbers in Alaska, they'll scrape off the kind of slimy outside and then do them like clam strips. But in other parts of the world you kind of eat the whole thing.
Speaker 6: So how do you do it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, a lot of our customers from Asia want sea cucumbers, sea urchins, some of the snails we have, but with a cucumber, imagine a pickle. That's what the local fishermen call them. And we have some who some fishermen who drag them, and some who actually scuba dive for them. But they you cut each end of the pickle off, if you will, slit it up the middle, open it.
Speaker 6: And this is an invertebrate.
Speaker 7: It has no skeleton, right, so it has a very thick, tough skin, and in the absence of a skeleton, the muscles inside are pulling against.
Speaker 6: This tough skin, and that's what allows them to move.
Speaker 7: But they're related to cucumber, I mean to starfish and urchins and sand dollars. They're in the kino dirm family, and all that's in there is like the most big basic organism. In fact, sometimes I think, man, you're nothing but a gut a gonet, And I think, if you think of it, that's what a cucumber is. On one end, it has a feeding apparatus. On the other end, it's excreting its wat and then inside is that thin sheet of muscle that kind of reminds me of like a kid's raspberry fruit roll up. So when we open, you have to scrape off this thin sheet of meat and so tip them.
Speaker 6: That sheet of muscle is pulling on the skin. It curls up.
Speaker 7: Totally like a fruit roll up automatically because there's nothing to pull against. And then you you know, you could cook that saute that like anything, but it's really crunchy. It's kind of like if you were in my mind's when we've eaten it and our kids have eaten it, it's it's almost like you're chewing on cartilage. It really kind of pops in your teeth, and then the skin itself is boiled and dried and then shredded up and served, you know, like on a on top of a seaweed salad. And we've never actually eaten much of the skin, but it's a very tough organism.
Speaker 1: Did you ever describe some of your biology students in the same manner? Just just a mouth.
Speaker 6: Tenth graders, right, you're nothing but a gut and a goat.
Speaker 7: They like that. In fact, years ago, I tried to convince my wife uh to allow or decide on the the first name Nad for one of our children.
Speaker 6: Can you imagine if they're an athlete, go ned go nag.
Speaker 7: Go nads and they're like, mister she and you gotta do that, you gotta do that.
Speaker 6: But it never came to fruition.
Speaker 1: So oh, I love it. I love it. Yeah. So what what's the like, the favorite thing? What what is in in the tidepool? Tim world?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What's the favorite critter to go after?
Speaker 6: For meat eaters? But our top product really is Irish moss.
Speaker 7: It's a short red marine algae that has carrageening in it, which is a natural thickening agent. And you've probably heard of this in your supermarket or maybe natural food store, but sea moss and sea moss jaw. A lot of people, especially in North America, are getting onto eating seaweeds as.
Speaker 6: A regular part of their diet.
Speaker 7: So we go out actually in this bay here at very low tide, and here's this red fuzz growing along the rocks, and we use cutters to cut it off, We rinse it out, We bring it back to our base into a greenhouse, spread it out on tables and dry it out.
Speaker 6: And when we're shipping it to our customers.
Speaker 7: It's used typically a half pound or a pound of this dried so the home consumer will take it, put it in a VitaminX or a blender with a little bit of water, some lemon or lime juice and just kind.
Speaker 6: Of pulse it a little bit, and it's the coolest thing. The seaweed.
Speaker 7: It's liquid turns into a liquid and then immediately immediately just gels up like putt it and it has a beautiful red pink color to it. Coolah or irish moss that we have here in the industry is called purple sea moss, and a lot of the moss that's out on the market comes from like the Caribbean type areas and they have a golden colored sea moss, but the same thing you have a seaweed or a marine algae carrageenon in it.
Speaker 6: And our customers swear by having a tablespoon.
Speaker 7: Of this gel in their regular smoothie or in their soup or whatever they're they're cooking every day.
Speaker 6: And I mean, it's the weirdest product.
Speaker 7: Once again, it kind of hit us around COVID because I when the kids were young, I made a YouTube video for my YouTube channel about Irish moth and all these new customers kept calling, Hey, I watch your video. I want some of this moth, you know, I want to save my life. And uh, people call and they're crying. People are sharing this moss with their whole their whole church, their neighbors.
Speaker 6: People calling and saying they secured them of skin problems. Uh.
Speaker 7: COVID like everything under the side, like securely so uh and that's a lot of anecdotal kind of stuff. But people swear by the effects of eating this Irish moss, And really that's our number one and product right now.
Speaker 6: Cool are our fishing worms are blood worms?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I like I like the balance their health and beauty and blood worms. Yeah, yeah, yeah, well I know where Eileen personally.
Speaker 7: The we have so many categories of products, you know, bait and fertilizer and food and and science and research and that it just makes for a really fun day because each morning I get on my laptop and I look at my orders and I go, oh, geez, I gotta go, you know, pick five pounds of moss and they need to run over here and pull these traps to get twelve hermit crabs. And then I'm gonna run to this other dock and get some cn M and e's. So it's really you know, uh, in terms of what we've created with Gulf of Maine, it's it's just like an every day is a holiday. It's always fun, it's always exciting, and then we're able to populate our Instagram with all kinds of amazing content every day.
Speaker 6: It's always fresh. It could be a dead seal washed up on the beach.
Speaker 7: It could be you know, some bald eagles fighting over a dead eel on the rock weed.
Speaker 6: It's just so much variety.
Speaker 7: And you know, we hunt, we fish, we forage, we eat mushrooms, we eat seaweeds.
Speaker 6: You know, it's really kind of a fun way to raise our kids.
Speaker 7: And to just go about each and every day.
Speaker 6: And we're making really good money.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's amazing how this stuff that's just lying around here in this bay.
Speaker 6: You know, this is our virtual warehouse, if you will.
Speaker 7: And every day, whether it's twenty below zero or it's seventy degrees out, I gotta be out here picking and collecting and sort of sending these boxes out all across mostly North America, but sometimes into Europe.
Speaker 1: Do you have internships available.
Speaker 7: In the summertime? And we just we don't put out anything formal. We kind of wait for motivated students to get a hold of us and say, hey, I'd like to come and hang out with you guys.
Speaker 6: What do you got?
Speaker 7: You know, And we've had students from all around the country com So if there's any listeners looking for a fun uh you know, variety field summer, hit us up at Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, Tim, Tim, thanks for joining us. Can you tell quickly if folks want to learn more about Golf of Maine where they can find you. Yeah, I mean, we have.
Speaker 7: A great website and you can order all of our products. It's Golf of Me dot com.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: We have a nice Instagram for typool Tim, and also at golf of Me for the business, and then we have some TikTok postings and also my YouTube channel. So yeah, all kinds of good stuff there, some of it crazy, uh, some got some gonads and uh a.
Speaker 6: Whole lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Sounds perfect.
Speaker 1: Heck yeah, well thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Dam thanks Tim.
Speaker 2: See, I think I'm going to order myself some c cucumbers and olympits that special mom.
Speaker 3: Get some blood worms up in here.
Speaker 1: You have to do some dead drifting.
Speaker 3: M hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like it. We're gonna be stealhead beta guarantee it.
Speaker 2: I love how I go for the health and beauty and snacks and you guys go for the bait.
Speaker 1: I would definitely get a supply of good seaweed too, for making poke and all that good stuff. Yeah, game, what do you want to do? You want to go do Randall's segment of fake News's fake news? How dare you fake news? Or do you want to do listener feet Let's do.
Speaker 3: Fake news tape and bushop take balloon at a better shot than don this? So wh is that?
Speaker 1: So this opportunity comes once for.
Speaker 4: A few weeks, you can do anything you set your minds to.
Speaker 3: Guys. Oh, my gosh, yes, beautiful Phil.
Speaker 1: Give it up for Phil.
Speaker 3: So, in this segment of fake news, I'm going to share a selectively edited hunting or fishing related headline from the news while Cal and Karin attempt to fill in the blank with the multiple choice options. Only one of your choices is true. According to this news article, Phil, it's hit him with number one here French hunter eighty one on trial for killing endangered blank? Is it an endangered lynx, an endangered duck, an endangered frog or an endangered bear? Oh? Got a little sound effect too. I think this segment is shaping up nicely, Philed.
Speaker 1: It's coming together.
Speaker 2: At the same time.
Speaker 3: Whenever you're ready. Whenever you're ready, c frog, d We have our answers, frog and bear. One of you got it right. The answer is bear. Oh. The headline reads French hunter eighty one on trial for killing endangered that attacked him. This was reported by The Guardian Andre Rives assumes how you pronounce it was boar hunting in the Pyrenees Mountains when a female bear named Caramelis attacked him. He surprisingly encountered the cubs and was then charged and dragged by the bear by his leg before he shot it. He sustained injuries and had to be evacuated by helicopter. An investigation revealed that the bear was killed four hundred meters that's thirteen hundred feet for those of US stateside, outside of an authorized hunting area and in a nature reserve. Fifteen of their hunters, who also took part in the hunt are being prosecuted for various offenses, including hunting in the Montevalier Nature Reserve, one of the oldest reserves in the Pyrenees. The hunters argued that the boundaries of the reserve were poorly marked.
Speaker 2: I thought that this uh, elderly elder gentleman was going after some prized frog legs. No, and they were going to make a big deal out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're so racially by us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think on the.
Speaker 2: French part there, that was that I fell for the trick. Answer, well, very good, Randall.
Speaker 1: Eighty one man attack. Was it a grizzly bear?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I believe it's a brown bear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so cool, so cool. Yeah, most people don't know brown bears in Europe. Like spitting distance from major tourist attractions, which is so cool, so cool. But I want to be eighty one and be able to be attacked by a bear and drug and still I can shoot it.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and.
Speaker 1: Then then get a flight out of there. Yeah, he's getting ticketed and yeah, heart old man.
Speaker 3: Phil, let's hit this second one. Blank responds to a story of pet deer being taken by the Pennsylvania Game Commission? Is it Ted Nugent, Elon Musk, Ellen DeGeneres or Joe Rogan Cash is responding to the story of a pet deer being taken by the Pennsylvania Game Commission.
Speaker 1: It's a trick question. It's e all of the above.
Speaker 3: Well, this is specific to one article that I found on the internet that may well be true, but we're going with the article.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna go with the Teddy Nuggets. Yeah, motor City mad man.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna pet Okay, I could see that too. I'm gonna lean.
Speaker 3: To Ellen, Ellen and Ted. I'm afraid neither one of you got it right here. He's a busy man. Elon Musk. This story comes to us from PennLive dot com. Elon Musk responds to story of pet deer being taken by the Pennsylvania Game Commission. A sixty four year old woman was arrested back in February for interfering with the Pennsylvania Commission Game Commission authorities as they attempted to take away a pet deer named Baby. Baby was a wild born deer, which made it illegal to keep as a pet, and had been castrated and wore a dog collar. Baby's owner, Tammy Sheery, refused to allow entry to the police when they arrived with a lawful search warrant. Elon Musk, the head of Tesla SpaceX and the Department of Government Efficiency quote, tweeted a story about this incident, recently adding his own thoughts quote, the authorities need to stop doing this end quote. His tweet kicked off a ship storm on social media, with many users using the hashtag save Baby, and they shared the video of the deer being forcibly led away from its enclosure. Real sad stuff. Oh oh, busy guy.
Speaker 1: The humanity. They need to stop doing this. Why I don't know.
Speaker 3: Cameras? Yeah, all right, still one nothing. Col Phil hit us with a third headline, police say reported swimmer in distress turned out to be blank. Is it duck? Hunters, seals, geese or spear fishermen. Oh what were these purported reported swimmers in distress?
Speaker 1: Probably yeah, I'm even go the go.
Speaker 3: D Cal's go and d Corinsey and b man blanked you again here the answer is geese. This story comes to us from New Zealand. Police and a rescue squad responded to a report about two swimmers in distress near Ferguson Park in Touranga, New Zealand. Helicopter and Coast Guard cruise searched the area for forty five minutes before the police gave the call to stand down. A police representative later stated that the search was called off when the reported struggling swimmers quote turned out to be geese. Nonetheless, the people who mistook the birds for people did the right thing by making the report. Well, guys, it's tough round. We've got one more question here. Let's see if Karin can tie it at one's gonna run away with this victory.
Speaker 1: It's a good thing I can't get negative points.
Speaker 2: I think my performance on this game is kind of like trivia. I wonder which one's worse.
Speaker 3: Well, this is just nonsense. So a man went deer hunting and accidentally stumbled upon blank. Is it a mammoth tusk, stolen cash, a murder victim, or a World War Two era aircraft?
Speaker 1: I personally have done d M.
Speaker 2: What yeah this article about you?
Speaker 1: No, I'm gonna go a see a murder victim.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think I was leaning toward be stolen cash, B and C.
Speaker 3: Or these your final answers blanked again. It's a mammoth tusk.
Speaker 1: Oh, I forgot to get a screenshot of this one.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's like iowall picture.
Speaker 1: Oh, Texas.
Speaker 3: This one comes just from Popular Mechanics. A hunter at the two Ranch in Texas near Big Ben National Park came across a strange fossil like rock in the drainage area of a creek bed and took a photo of his phone. He then showed it to the ranch manager, who contacted researchers to come take a look. Turns out it was a single mammoth tusk isolated from the rest of the skeleton. After two days of plaster casting that tusk, researchers removed it for transportation to soul Ross State University in Alpine. And I wish we had an image of that, because darn it was a good looking tusk. Next time, really blew it?
Speaker 1: Next time, that's a real dream, real dream. Find we fella like me? Do we want to jump over to listener? A f You have only got a couple real quick. We're running late a couple of games. What do you have to get to?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm I don't know. I mean I don't have to.
Speaker 1: Do Should we just go on until five o'clock?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 1: Like, who's stopping us? Anything else?
Speaker 3: Questions here?
Speaker 5: Nick Corinn. Nick needs some details about your wad ad Hunt next month. Will it be filmed?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, our colleague Cory uh is going to be along with myself and my boyfriend and he will be filming. He'll, he'll we'll probably do a go pro and a little bit of social media stuff, so some of it will be filmed. It will not be an entire episode. It started out as a personal trip, and as these things go, the line between my work life and personal life is kind of super blurred.
Speaker 1: So I was gonna say it doesn't sound like Cory knows what he's getting into.
Speaker 2: So we're going to be in in West Texas, close to El Paso, on on a ranch owned by the University of Texas, El Paso. It's a research facility there. That's all I'll say for now. Hopefully we all the three of us get one.
Speaker 1: It's also where mcgruber played tight end. A lot of people don't know that, Phil.
Speaker 5: What you got question for doctor Randall from Michael? In addition to the Long Hunter's audio book, what are some other good books about Daniel Boone?
Speaker 3: Well, you've covered the essential source there, nice, So I will add Robert Morgan's biography Boone. And then there's a book called My Father Nathan Boone. That was It's based on interviews with Boone's son, taken by Lyman Draper and then organized into a book and published by Ted Franklin. Below that, I'll get you going. How's that? Phil?
Speaker 1: That was perfect man who knows his sources? Jack?
Speaker 5: Ask Cal what are some things Easterners can do to help protect Western public lands other than joining conservation organizations?
Speaker 1: Oh? Jack, Well, first of all, these are your public lands, just like us. Westerners consider them our public lands, just as Democrats, Republicans, independents, all the colors of the rainbow. It's your public lands. So yes, joining conservation groups so they can point to your membership as somebody that they are representing is very helpful, but at the end of the day, you have got to notify your elected officials of your interests, needs, and wants. Right and again, like we've been saying very consistency consistently over the last couple of weeks, you can say, hey, love what's going on over here, but this stuff over here has me super freaked out. I do not like it. I love public Lands, I understand the value that they bring to all of us Americans, and I need them protected, not broken up. Something simple like that. We're all in this together, buddy, fantastic, awesome, Phil, What you got?
Speaker 5: Oh, we've got a few more, but we've got a good friend and colleague in the waiting room. I think we'll hit some of these at the end of the show. And you guys want to submit some more questions, send them my way and maybe we'll answer them at the end of the show.
Speaker 1: Excellentt all right, Yeah, thank you for the questions. And you're gonna have a lot more questions about this, which I think is the point. It's gonna wake you up in the middle of the night. It's a real who done it? It's a murder mystery brought to you by me Eater's own Jordan Sellers. Jordan, are you with us?
Speaker 3: Jordan, welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: Can you hear me?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, sound great. What have you been working on?
Speaker 4: Oh man, Well, exactly what you said. Last year, I was contacted by a guy who told me about a murder that took place in two thousand and three in Virginia. This murder was of a Turkey hunter named David Stack. He was forty four years old at the time, and they never figured out who did it. And so I've been looking into this for about a year now. It's been pretty close and put everything together into a single episode of a podcast that we're going to release next week during Turkey Week. So really excited to share that with everyone. Hopefully we can get I don't know, hopefully we can get some new leads in this case, because it's been a long time since anything's happened.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us some details without giving too much away?
Speaker 4: Yes. So one of the big questions about this case is whether or not the person who committed the homicide knew what they had done, and so there's some evidence at the scene to suggest that this person actually walked up to David Body and removed his face mask to see who it was and then walked away and never has never come forward, has never told anyone what happened. There's some controversy about some other evidence at the scene, a cigarette butt, for example. There is some suspicious there was some suspicious interactions with neighbors that we get into quite a bit. You can imagine, you know, the neighbors are who you're going to look into. First. It was on about one hundred and ninety acres in western central Virginia, so there were some neighbors around other turkey hunters. There were some pretty suspicious things that happened with the neighbors. So there's a lot to dig into. It's just a single episode, so you know, we're not going to do a whole season on this one's story, but there is a lot there to talk about for sure.
Speaker 1: Heck yeah, and the title is Blood Trails, a Turkey Woods Cold Case.
Speaker 4: That's right. Yeah?
Speaker 1: And when when does this drop? Jordan?
Speaker 4: I believe next Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Yep, it'll be the Tuesday of Turkey.
Speaker 1: Week and we're putting it out on what feed it's.
Speaker 2: Going to be on this feed the Meat Eater podcast feed, So it'll come, Yeah, it'll come on Tuesday. And Jordan also interviewed our colleague Brent Reeves, who is former law enforcement and so I guess you guys went into a little bit of kind of analysis of what we do know and what we don't know.
Speaker 4: Correct, Yeah, that's right for those who don't know. Brent was in law enforcement for a long time, over thirty years, and so his perspective was really important for this story. The Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources, the wildlife agency there is responsible for investigating this case, but they were pretty hesitant to say anything, and we talk a bit about that. But it was important, I think, to get that law enforcement perspective. You know, what are the sort of standard procedures for a case like this. You find someone's body in the woods, what do you do over the next forty eight hours, over the next week. So we covered that and then just getting a little bit more information about why the agency was hesitant to talk with us to give us a lot of information. So Brent's perspective was super helpful and he brought, you know, his usual good natured humor to that discussion. So that's that's in there as well.
Speaker 3: And can we listen to his magnificent voice on this podcast? Oh wonderful, Yes.
Speaker 4: Yes we can. It's it's it's a big chunk of the podcast. Actually, so very that's a that's a big plus.
Speaker 1: Heck yeah, well yeah, we'll be looking forward to that on Turkey Week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tuesday, you guys should all tune in and write a about what you think. It's our first venture into the true crime genre thanks to Jordan's work in real journalism and investigation over the past year, and.
Speaker 1: Were very unusual. If you solve this, it will be the only murder mystery podcast true crime genre where conservation always went exactly. We'll give you five hundred dollars donated to the conservation group of your choice.
Speaker 3: Jordan, Are you Are you hooked now? As a as ant, I assume this is your first murder investigation. Are you hooked now in the I mean, what was that like for you? Because obviously you're talking to people that are still like involved in the I mean family and people in that area. What was that like for you?
Speaker 2: Question?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, no, I talked with so. The person who initially contacted us is a guy named Kenny, and he was one of David's really good friends. So I talked with him. I talked with David's son, who was there that morning. I talked with David's brother who was also there hunting, and I talked with David's wife. So yeah, it was it was a an interesting experience, a humbling experience to talk with these people, who, I mean, are really brave in my opinion. You know this, this happened over twenty years ago, and and I'm asking them to dredge these these things up, dredge up these emotions that you know, I'm sure they would rather not think about that much, but they care about their their dad, their friend, their their husband. They want to know what happened. They want to know who did this, and so they're willing to go through that to to tell us a bit more about what happened. So yeah, it was a really interesting experience. And you know, we'll see, hopefully we can we can do a few more of these if if the audience likes them.
Speaker 1: Hmm heck, yeah, sounds like good powerful journalism. I'm looking forward to listening to it. And yeah, please write in and let us know what you think.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Jordan, Thank you, Jordan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: All right, tamer, are we feeling hungry? I think so? Do you want to go to the meat Eater menu?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, bacon taste good, thank you.
Speaker 6: Swre rap may tastes like punkin pine, but I never know because I wouldn't eat the filthy up.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love it. Okay. This is the segment Meat Eater Menu where we talk about things that we've cooked. I believe did Karen and I share the only here?
Speaker 3: Hold on, let me uh, let me send out a let me send out a quick text here part of my part of my presentation here. So I'm gonna get into a little dish we cooked up this week by way of a bison hunt that took place in January, and my wife, Sidney, was fortunate enough to shoot this year and a half ling cow on American Prairie part of the American Prairie Harvest Program, and it was just a phenomenal experience. Phil next slide. Our first dish that we made out of this was a tartar the raw egg out of the Danielle Pruitt cookbook. Just a delightful little dish. Really enjoyed that we used a piece of loin and whipped that up like the day or two after the hunt.
Speaker 2: It looks beautiful. It looks like a cake. It's like in a mold and.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep.
Speaker 1: And then next slide, please, I'm sorry, craid, what are you reacting to?
Speaker 3: Hold on, Phil, along for the ride.
Speaker 6: Something.
Speaker 3: We've also just done.
Speaker 1: Some pretty standard steaks.
Speaker 3: I liked this steak. It I thought I cooked it well, so I just shared that photo. Next slide, please, Phil, That's what it looked like. Ill plate it up. That's a pretty standard preparation for us at home. Next next slide, we did some ribs. Col was over for this, as was Cal's mom and Pat and Col's aunt and her friend, and we had a little dinner party the eight of us. Next slides, please film. So we we diced up those ribs and made a big old tray of ribs. Now, finally, this week, in honor of Saint Patrick's Day, Phil, next slide, please, made a little cottage pie and some soda bread, and our good friend friend of the program, Chili, brought in a hot plate of cottage pie.
Speaker 1: For everybody to try it.
Speaker 3: Here, so little dish of awesome peas and carrot and some potatoes layered on top, and the real trick here the the thank you Chili. I appreciate that he's been sitting by the microwave for a good fifty minutes, so you're a good man.
Speaker 2: Oh I love it. We all best not be sick, because we're going to be sharing that fork there.
Speaker 3: I've left four forks out there. Yeah, yeah, I'm counting film the secret ingredient cow. Do you know what it is here?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Goodness, that looks so good here, I'm just going to use his fork.
Speaker 3: That is bison Chriso in there. Oh, rather than burger, it's Chriso in the cottage pie.
Speaker 2: Did you make that? Or did Anna.
Speaker 3: Anna Borgman cast Farms made the Chriso? Oh lovely, Sydney made the cottage pie and the soda bread. So really I have no hand in this whatsoever.
Speaker 1: That's real good. Oh is that the Spanish Teresa?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, yeah, that's really tasty.
Speaker 3: Yep, thank you, thank you Chili. Art handsome and helpful. That's so good.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna wander over here.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's oh and then Phil, if you hit the next.
Speaker 1: Slide, oh sure, yeah, hold on a seing.
Speaker 3: Sorry, sorry, we're doing this a little chaotic here, that's what it looked like. Sydney didn't like that picture because it has the uh, the takeout container, and she said, it looks like we didn't make the food. But that's actually a takeout container with some pastries in it.
Speaker 1: I'll just let go.
Speaker 3: Karen has taken control of the cottage.
Speaker 5: Well here, this is actually convenient. Is one of the questions Kyle asked, was he he wanted to know what's for lunch? Yeah, so there we are a large piece of Now you can watch us eat on camera.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, you can.
Speaker 3: Get after that. Sish and Cal thought, I didn't prepare anything for Meat Eater menu. That's just a whole story leading up to a tasty little dish that you can enjoy right here on Meat Eater Radio Live.
Speaker 2: It's got a lot of white pepper in it, and it's it's it's spicy. Oh my goodness, anything like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, the chresa was an accident. Sydney pulled out the wrong package. But I think it works quite nicely.
Speaker 1: Happy accident. And I grew up with a lot of mashed potato ground meat combos.
Speaker 3: So and used for frozen peas.
Speaker 1: Oh wonderful.
Speaker 2: I have to step up my cooking game. Nothing I've made tastes like that.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, guys, sorry we're now what you got?
Speaker 2: Uh it's it's a shame coming after that. I think the picture that I sent of the dish was after I had eaten most of it and then it was like in a little plastic tupperware container. So I think that was what last year about a year agoes hog and Texas. I don't know if that was my first or second Texas Hog down South in uh way down south in Texas, or if that was the one that we shot while podcasting. I can't remember. In any case, I cooked up There was a pack of it in the freezer for for a while and it just said trim trim for grind, but I really I didn't have a grinder. I didn't really want to do that with it. So when I defrosted, I noticed that it was like part of uh, part of part of the leg like what you do like uh aso buco with and so a lot of uh gelatine and tendon, and I just decided to kind of Asian poissen sauce soy sauce. Put a little bit of barbecue sauce in there. I thought, I just kind of do uh do like a stew saucy type dish and throw it over rice and just lots of onions. Threw it in the pressure cooker. And maybe there is a photo up there, but it looks honestly like that. That's what was left out of from it after I realized that I should have taken a photo. But it doesn't look fancy. It, you know, looked like a pile of uh meat. Yeah yeahatop in a little containers. Doesn't look so appetizing, but but it tasted.
Speaker 3: I feel like a lot of my improv wild game dishes end up looking like that.
Speaker 1: Pressure cookers a ground tool utilized on a plate. Yeah, great tool to utilize. Oh yeah, and then cal I can bring up I can bring up yours. Just give me give me one sec here. So I was explaining to Phil earlier that I don't know how many of you folks use Instagram reels ig, but I always have this like, oh, I'm gonna actually put something together here, and I have this epiphany of how with a little extra work I could make it really good. And that's the point at which I'm like, eh, I'm not going to do that. So, yeah, this is just your your you know, French dip, which it was a real staple growing up. You'd have like your pot roast one night, French dip the next night. Where Christmas time be like a prime rib type of deal. Your wild game meats can be very fantastic Deli meats. There's no reason to not just take a big roast and put it on the smoker or you know, even in the oven, and then just slice that whole thing really thin. That's all I did here. And then yeah.
Speaker 3: Just eat it right over the stove.
Speaker 2: What do you do to make that?
Speaker 1: Well? So the the auju that that it's just bone bro.
Speaker 3: We got to talk over the music so we don't get dinged. Yeah, this is great.
Speaker 5: I don't think I can adjust the volume on Instagram. This might be a problem highlight, but.
Speaker 1: Talk over so we don't get ding Yeah, just keep talking, that's exactly the mode. Yeah, good smash a sando like that. Kids, looks great the audio now, but I wanted to give a taste.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's good, that's good.
Speaker 1: And then the yeah, the AJ that's that's bone bra so I'll I'll pack out as many bones as I can and then put those in a big pressure cooker and new come for thirty minutes and then strain it out and can it. So a lot of a lot of time with the pressure cooker. Oh and yeah, it's I have not I.
Speaker 2: Have like a couple of huge elk bones that I haven't cut.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and that stuff is like so reduced that the liquids like tacky like candy and it just makes Yeah, it's so good, so good. Get it blustery cold day and get some bone stock out, or like when we make wantons, We'll make a ton of wantons and then just freeze them and then you crack open a jar your bone broth and dump wantons in there, and it's like instant wanton soup. It's killer, really good, really good. But hey, use your if you get if you're like I'm so sick of having big roasts and things, just slice those things into deli meat and it actually freezes just fine if you vaccial deli meat together, which I've done for like a bunch of our shoots and and things, because like always really depresses me to leave this freezer of awesome meat, go on a shoot, and the first place he goes Walmart to go buy a bunch of crappy deli meat instead just making it at home. Yeah, that's the point it Yeah, yeah, all right, those are our recipes. Ish, let us know how inspired you are by writing Anne, because we love our instant gratification.
Speaker 3: Phil, speaking of that instant gratification, what's going on in the chat?
Speaker 5: Well, Colton asked doctor Randall. The movie reviews are a great idea. Any interest in a monthly book club? I think we've talked about this briefly, but there's a reason that we went with movies instead of books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there there, I mean, there's always interest in a monthly book club. I've gotten a number of requests for reading lists related to mountain men and long hunter things. So I'm going to work on maybe a reading list for the website on those topics, and then maybe you'll just get a wacky reading list too, books about dinosaurs and World War two and serial killers.
Speaker 5: What's next, Phil Mogor, Our good friend Mogor, says Carinn Prin.
Speaker 1: He's for your feet picture.
Speaker 5: It's ugly but tasty in my language. Randa Dphenom I do not know how to. I can't do a Hungarian accents and I will not try. But he says, believe me, it sounds really good and Hungarian. So he's offering some words of support.
Speaker 1: Thanks for that.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Quite ugly but tasty. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see.
Speaker 5: Ron asks Randall, have you ever had a Salan's hot dog from Buffalo, New York.
Speaker 3: I have not. I have not, but I'm intrigued. I will take this moment to shout out my friend Eric in Nebraska, who just sent me a whole bunch of Wimmers hot dogs, which are a regional staple there. He said me a few varieties, along with some famous Nebraska sauces and cal and I have been plotting up a taste test at some point. So yeah, I'd be interested to learn more about Salein's dogs. But I haven't been to Buffalo in a good long while.
Speaker 2: Ron, if you feel like mailing doctor Randall a package of those.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna. I'm gonna. I mean, I love it, but i'd encourage you not to. After seeing how much money Eric spent on postage to send hot dogs across the country.
Speaker 1: A lot of hot dog content a beautiful gesture. A lot of a lot of people don't know. In fact, my significant other was just shocked to find out that Randal and I met at a hot dog stands and you'll die in front of the hot.
Speaker 3: Red hots and catch them. Uh.
Speaker 5: Dermond Donnelly asked your face, Dermid, Oh, I've never seen this Welsh Dermid spelled that way. Well, I learned Scottish favorite store bought fish coating like like I'm guessing, like a fry like a like a fry coating if you have one, because they're not too hard to make it home, I would guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'm not too picky. Try to find something that seems simple. So yeah, you're just like your old fish fry stuff. Yeah, not real helpful here.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this counts as a coating, but the I like the Tony shasheris spice blend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Tony's is good. I don't think I've ever bought I think I just flour or corn meal and a spice mix.
Speaker 1: Yeah I do. I mean panco with a little bit of corn starch and white pepper is a good good way to go on a little garlic powder.
Speaker 5: Well, Rashad you asked a great trapping question, but I will hold off on that until Seth or Steve are here, unless Cal and Randall think they want to.
Speaker 1: My best I can do is quote Wayne's World on that.
Speaker 3: I'd take a swing, but it wouldn't be helpful to you, Rashad, my friend, let's.
Speaker 5: Pass over Taylor made outdoors. Hey, new meat eater fam is brought into the world this morning at five am, a month early, so she's in the nick you, but she's beautiful and we'll be raised with meat eater parenting slash Children's thanks for watching the show next to your newborn and your wife who was in the hospital.
Speaker 3: I know that from one of my many stays.
Speaker 5: Yes, I like this question. I don't know how you guys are going to answer it. Brad asks what animal do you shamelessly wish was a game animal that is not and never will be?
Speaker 3: Real weird and interesting question, Brad, thank you.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: I mean the obvious one for me is wild horses. They are there, they have a tremendous ecological cost.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: They're they're terrible for the health of our landscape, and they're large animals that evolved on this continent. So there's people have been hunting horses for a real long time, but now we don't thanks to the Wild Horse and bro Protection Act. I'm to think of another one that's weirder, but I'll turn it over to my colleagues while I chew on that.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great one. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's like you had this amazing vehicle that you could also eat, and then emotions just ran rampant and it's like, oh no, that's not for eating.
Speaker 2: Have you guys eaten horse?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, both like little like sashimi type horse and then sausage too.
Speaker 2: Done like a precuto type cured meat, cured but never a sashimi, yeah type.
Speaker 3: What about you manates, panda bears?
Speaker 1: I think sea lions for us non.
Speaker 3: Predators.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sea lions would be yeah, because those sons of guns. Like you're swimming, Imagine you're with a bunch of folks that you don't know all that well but you trust, and you're way off the coast of California and you're diving into the not great visibility Pacific Ocean out there, and you go through the dark and the murk in the top like twenty feet of the water column, and then right about the time you can start seeing some sort of structure on the bottom, this big, huge fang tooth monster pops up right in your face and blows bubbles at you. And you're trying to control your breathing so as you don't die. I'd like to just I'd like to eat one, kill one, eat one. And our friend Heather de Ville is just telling me that the sea lions they have a way more mild, more palatable taste than than like seals do. Interesting. Yeah, yep, marine creatures. That's wild bill Bill is asking. I'm sure directed at cal do feral cats count? Oh, feral cats count for sure? For sure. That's another stigma we got to get rid of in this in this country, feral cats should be shot on site. Period. Oh yeah, you can definitely eat those little disease written creatures for sure, for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they are vectors for some weird pathogens.
Speaker 2: I feel, yes, but probably shouldn't eat them because.
Speaker 1: Ye are pregnant lady, or used to be pregnant lady. She couldn't be around cats. So yeah, yeah, but birds because they're a little disease carrying but they.
Speaker 3: Kill a lot of birds, and there are reports coming out all the time about birds being in trouble.
Speaker 1: Bird populations, oh, directly linked to the extinction of several species. And yeah, like we need yeah they Yeah, we're prioritizing some little killing machine that shouldn't be there over native species and it's it's insane. Billions of birds and mammals, small mammals. Yeah, good, thank you for bringing up the cats.
Speaker 3: Shout out bill.
Speaker 5: He means that to hut out in the bottom of his heart. I'm gonna be selfish and steal the last question. Yeah, Leland asked what's the status of the Meat Eater Crew D and D campaign. So I've actually been thinking about this a lot over a year ago. At the company Christmas party, not this last Christmas, but the Christmas before, Spencer came up to me after a couple of beers and say, a Phil, I was thinking, like, can we switch up trivia a little bit. I'm thinking like a like a murder mystery party based on the fish heist, which, if you don't know, some fish was stolen quote unquote out of the freezer in the office that Steve brought back from Alaska or something.
Speaker 1: No one caught to it. No one admitted to taking the fish.
Speaker 5: It's still it's still out there somewhere or has been passed and is you know, has been left to the great cycle. But but we it was never solved. And then I laughed and thought that'd be a lot of work, if that'd be a lot of fun. And then about a year past, and then just a couple months ago, I had like a shower thought of like, man, that'd be a really good like D and D one shot. Yea, So I have been I have been writing this D and D one shot based on the fish heist. I'm like seventy percent done. I've got it like all mapped out in my head. I just got to find players. Cal you're currently on NPC in the game, but if you want to be a player, I.
Speaker 1: Would love to have you at the table. Oh dude, I'm totally yeah, totally same with same with you, Karin. And long as you have the patience for a first timer, yeah, of.
Speaker 3: Course, tuned up and watch YouTube videos and how to play D and D and then I'll be set.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I I So anyway, I'm really excited about it. I don't know when it's gonna happen because I want to have a SaaS session where we play like a different game than teach people how to play and then jump into this thing. But if if I get the green light, because I would like to record it, and if we if it's good and fun and I get the green light to like drop it on the YouTube channel, I would love to do that. So that's that is what's happening right now. Anyway, I hope it happens.
Speaker 3: Thanks for your trivia questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so big heads up to everybody. Next week is Turkey Week. What that means is we in the meu me Eater universe.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: We'll be talking turkey all across the board, Turkey calling, Turkey photos, turkey stuff, So pay attention to the We are going to be doing some giveaways. There's a Turkey photo contest. We are going to give away a free to you first light tree Line Turkey Vest, which is a brand new vest, new phelps Turkey calls. I played around with some diaphrams the other day that were really good and the mule Tree mule Tree Edge two cellcam. Send your best turkey photos to radio at the meat eater dot com and If you think a normal grippin grant is going to win this contest, you're dead wrong. We want to see something different. A photo of your unique ornamental turkey trophy hanging in your man cave or lady, a fun pit, you know whatever cave, a fun pick of your kids getting in on the action, or a breath taking landscape shot of your turkey honey hole through the mist and under day breaks sunrays. Interesting way write that. We will showcase the top three photos during next week's episode. Hosts will then pick a winner to receive a prize turkey package, which means you get a tune in, be involved, and you're gonna know live Meat Eater Radio live whether you want or not, which is always fun.
Speaker 3: I'll be I'll be one of the judges. So if you have a photo that you think speaks to me and my sensibilities, my aesthetic tastes, please give yourself, do yourself a favor and enter that bad boy radio at the meeteater dot com. That's radio at the meeteater dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, gang, that's all we have for today's show. As always, thank you for tuning in. We'll see you again next week.
Speaker 2: See you next week Rock on