Speaker 1: Welcome to Zero. I am AKSHATARTI this week how to think about geopolitical chaos. I don't know if it's a good thing, but I'm reading the news these days and it keeps reminding me of one of my favorite sci fi novels, The Three Body Problem. At the heart of that story is an alien world that oscillates between a stable era and a chaotic era no one can predict when it happens. Here on Earth, it feels like we are entering one of those chaotic eras. So today on the show, I wanted to bring on a guest who thinks a lot about the chaos around us and has through the decades advised world leaders and CEOs about how to manage in times of chaos. Gerald Buds is the chairman of the Eurasia Group, a political risk consultancy that he was the chief of staff for Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, and just last year he also ran the campaign that successfully put mccarnie in as Trudeau's replacement. I wanted to understand how he thinks about the energy shocks we are facing and how they will reshape the world where the energy transition might falter where it might accelerate, and who will be the winners in a decade from now. These are questions that will decide where trillions of dollars I invested and thus where our climate future goes. As always, please send feedback or suggestions to zero Pod at Bloomberg dot net. Here's my conversation with Gerald Putts. Welcome to the show, Gerald Putts.
Speaker 2: It's great to be here. Longtime listener, first time caller.
Speaker 1: Ah, it's nice to have you on the pod. Finally, there's a lot going on in the world, many many fronts. I want to talk about energy and climate, but before we get there, just tell the audience a little bit about yourself. How do you come to working on climate and energy issues.
Speaker 2: Well, I've been working on energy transition, climate related issues for most of my professional career in both well actually in all three sectors. My first exposure to it was when I was running policy for the Premier of Ontario, which is Canada's largest province, and we I think we were the first jurisdiction anywhere to voluntarily retire coal at scale. So we retired about seventy five hundred and fifty megawatts of coal and replaced it with rebuilt nuclear renewables gas, a mix of a very broad mix of generation, and that got me interested in the topic. Dalton McGuinty was that man's name. He was a three term Premier of Ontario, and I think, not coincidentally, he was a scientist, and maybe I think he's the one and only scientist to have been Premier of Ontario. And because of that, he had high conviction that climate would be the issue that young whipper snappers like I was at the time would be spending most of my career thinking about and trying to solve the problems created by it.
Speaker 1: And then you also were chief executive officer of the World Wildlife Fund and then chief of staff do Justin Trudeau as Prime Minister of Canada. Tell us a little bit about those times.
Speaker 2: Well the WWF, and I'm still a proud board member of the World Widlife Fund in the United States. I'm speaking to you from Silicon Valley, where I'm here for a WWF board meeting later today. We are very much, as your listeners would know, a conservation organization in its broadest possible form. Bit we're in the business of the conservation of nature, and that is something that has attracted me like I think it should attract all humans, because ultimately it is the biosphere that we depend on. And in Canadian politics, both for former Prime Minister Trudeau and current Prime Minister Carney, I played a strategic in designing the campaigns, and in Prime Minister Trudeau's case, I ran his office for the first four years of his tenure. I left in twenty nineteen to join eurras Group.
Speaker 1: The Eurasia Group is a political risk consultancy. That's sort of the broadest way I could describe it, but it is still a vague phrase. Can you explain what does it involve day to day?
Speaker 2: Well, it's getting a lot less vague for people right. The way I tend to describe it is that ten years ago Eurasia Group was called into a board dinner to give an interesting speech that people could think about and then get down to their core businesses the next day. And as we're discovering and as investors in particular, and our clients are in two classes. We advise large investors who have to absorb these risks around the world as they think about their asset allocation strategy, and also large corporations who have to manage their supply chains, and for most of my life if the stable equilibrium and policy that private sector actors enjoyed actually meant that this was an afterthought. But now, obviously, in particular in this decade, it's become a core business for everybody. So trying to understand what's causing geopolitical disruption, how long it may last, where it's going to be regionally concentrated, in which industries it's going to affect most approximately, is our core business.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about one slice of those risks, which comes from the current energy shock. It's been more than seventy days since the US and Israel attacked Iran, and there has been a virtual closure of the Strait of Hormuz, responsible for twenty percent of the world's oil and gas. On Sunday, Iran replied to the latest US proposal, and President Trump declared the response was totally unacceptable. We don't know where this goes next. But when you are talking to companies and investors in this position, there are some of the things are pretty obvious the types of regions that are affected right now by the straight disclosure, But what are the kinds of things that they are worried about that are beyond the obvious that you talk to them.
Speaker 2: About well X energy. I think that a lot of people are learning that there's a whole bunch of consequential stuff that's created on the other side of the strait of Wurmos, from the rudiments of the agricultural supply chain to helium, which the healthcare system meant semiconductor industry is very reliant upon. So not unlike what happened with both the pandemic and the Russia Ukraine crisis, which of course also both happened this decade, and if everybody feels tired, that's probably why. So we've learned a lot about the complexity and the inter relatedness of supply chains through those crises. As we feel them come apart, it's less of a surprise than it would have been before twenty twenty, but it's still surprising to people that so much of what their stuff is made of is originating in places that they don't really understand, and it can be disrupted by forces that they have never reckoned with. So that's what's happening here, and the energy side, if we kind of telescope out and look at longer range. She'd recall we spoke in the aftermath of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, and it was a big open question. You wrote about it. Lots of thoughtful people were thinking about it at the time, whether or not it would accelerate or decelerate the energy transition in Europe. I think five years later, six years later, we can pretty much declare that it accelerated the energy transition in Europe. And I think in this particular case, there are so many precarious, economically precarious countries and regions that are dependent upon the hydrocarbons that are on the wrong side of the Strait of Hormuz right now that other actors with supply chains and technologies that could replace hydrocarbons are acting very aggressively to do just that in the aftermath of this crisis. So when you think about growing economies like Vietnam, like the Philippine, Sri Lanka, India, Pakistan, all of these countries are those that have already faced the shock of watching LNG tankers turn around in the Pacific, go back through the Suez Canal and sell contracted hydrocarbons, hydrocarbons that they had contracted for four or five, six, sometimes ten x the spot price in a region while a crisis was underway, and they're going to think twice about it now. So the Chinese, to be direct about it, have a larger pool of potential interested customers in their own region because of this crisis. And I think that have a long term impact on the global energy system that people are not appreciating right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and let's take one of those things at a time. So if you look at Europe, and Europe's transition has certainly accelerated. I think the biggest evidence I see is in Spain. So before the Russia Ukraine crisis, you know, gas, natural gas used to set the price of power in Spain something like sixty to sixty five percent of the time. In this first quarter it's down to nine percent of the time because of the sheer amount of solar, and solar is the biggest contributor. There's been another contribution from wind as well, and a little bit from batteries, but really it's solar power and it can show you what a country has been. It's not a small country. It can do within a small period of time, and not all other European countries have quite gone down that pace. But even in those play like you're in the UK or in Germany, you are seeing much more muted price on electricity relative to the type of gas shock that has come through because twenty percent of the energy is and stuck in the strait of foremost. One single energy tanker in the last seventy days has passed through, and that was just this past week, so you can start to see that change pretty quickly. The oil industry is sort of known for its boom and bus cycles. When the price is high, they invest a lot to find more oil and then the price comes down rapidly. But there's something different that governments and even people do when there is a dual energy shock. You know, we talked about the twenty twenties, but like it's worth going back fifty years and thinking through the nineteen seventy three and seventy nine shocks. We know that there was a rapid decline in the burning of oil for electricity, which at the time twenty or twenty five percent of global electricity came from burning oil fell and it just continued to fall even after the oil price really came back to being normalized in the eighties. Governments invested heavily in nuclear power, France among them, but so many others, and you saw this rapid increase of nuclear power. You also saw increase in coal burning, which was on the decline for a while with the oil being burned. But then you've got much longer term investments, things like battery technology investments that Exonomobile made, for example, but also solar investments which are bearing fruit today. There were energy efficiency measures, you know, cars became just a lot more efficient and they've continued to increase their mileage steadily ever since the seventies. If you are now looking at this dual energy shock, you're seeing countries start to take on renewables, take on electrification. What kind of impact do we think we will see in ten twenty year's time.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's a great question. And what tends to happen in the aftermath of all of these shocks. Local availability, which is a policy objective to secure security of supply, which has always been an issue with energy since we were walking out of caves and cutting down trees so that we could burn our evening meal. Local availability has always been a prime directive when it comes to energy supply, and in Placid geopolitical periods, it starts to feel like everywhere is local, right, and policymakers feel that way, large investors feel that way. People who operate local businesses feel that way. They have no idea and no reason to have an idea where their feedstock comes from. And then suddenly a disruption like this happens and people are wait a second, my stuff comes from where, and my monthly budget is dependent on what and how can I put pressure on the people who control power in my local area, i e. The politicians, both power in the political sense and in the energy sense, so that we can insulate ourselves against future shocks of this kind. And everything else flows from that realization. So what happened in the post seventy three period, And I was a child in the nineteen seventies playing on a beach in Nova Scotia that suddenly had a coal plant at the end of it. And the reason we had a coal plant at the end of our beach and all over the rest of Nova Scotia is because we mind coal in Nova Scotia and it was the locally available resource to replace oil fired electricity. In other places it was different things. So I think that people in climate circles right now tend to believe, Aha, well, people will finally come around to our way of thinking. And the evidence is the excitlerating adoption of evs, especially in markets outside of North America. It is the adoption of solar with battery as a replacement for hydrocarbons like LNG. That's not what's happening on the ground, and I think that people need to appreciate that, otherwise they make long term policy mistakes. The example you used of Spain, which I think is a really important one of upper middle class economy, let me put it that way, a G twenty country. They are proving to the rest of Europe that from an engineering perspective, renewables a scale work. Now, lots of people will say Spain is a sunny southern European country. There are others, by the way, But as you and I both know and probably don't want to spend too much time explaining, that's not the way physics works. And the biggest barriers for any system planner or policymaker in a large economy is whether or not the stuff is going to work at the end of the day. And now there's a whole series of examples not only that it does work at scale, but that it is appreciably cheaper than the old system. So you put those two things together, and you have an aggressively marketing global power like China that can arrive at your policymaker's doorstep with the entire electric stack and say we can do this for you, so you don't have to worry the next time, or worry as much the next time there's a disruption in the global hydrocarbon industry. Then it becomes a very You put those three things together and it's a very attractive prospect. So my own view is that people are under appreciating how much this crisis will accelerate the energy transition.
Speaker 1: The other fourth dimension, maybe i'll add in, is one that some experts are calling the hyper agency of consumer. So typically the energy system has been these long dated, a large billion dollar assets that need to be invested in by governments and buy large private investors. And this time around there is because of the modularization of some of these technologies like solar and batteries in particular, consumers are able to act even before governments make changes in policy. And you know, again you talked about Spain being an upper middle class economy. But you know, I'm reporting on the Philippines right now, and I heard from a nurse whose annual salaries less than ten thousand dollars, whose desire was to try and get solar on the roof because eight will lower my bills, but also because I want my own energy. And lots of people in the past may have said I want my own energy but could not have done anything about it. Now they can.
Speaker 2: Yes, that is a critical point. I wouldn't overstate it, but it is a critically new thing. It is a bona fide new thing in the global energy system. I would counterbalance that by saying, the most powerful and underappreciated force in politics and arguably in nature is inertia, right, and incumbents will fight change tooth and nail. And it's not an accident that the process you described in the nineteen thirties wasn't really about replacing hydrocarbons. It was about replacing one hydrocarbon with another and finding different use cases for individual hydrocarbons. That meant that the transition, while important, was happening largely within the confines of the oil and gas and coal industry. Itself right, and I suspect what you'll see, and you certainly have seen. It's disrupted politics already in many places and especially including the United States. The oil and gas industry will not go quietly. They will fight change. They will fight the transition every step of the way. And as a consequences where we come in as you raise your group, because that's an analytical judgment from our perspective, not a normative one. It means that while the direction of travel is set and the trajectory is accelerating in the energy transition itself, it means that it will be a lot longer and bumpier than the science on the climate side would dictate necessary and on the technology side would allow, because the incumbents will fight it every step of the way, just because of the amount of money that's at stake.
Speaker 1: After the break, more of my conversation with Gerald Buds. If you're enjoying this episode of Zero, please take a moment to read and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. It makes the algorithms happy and helps more people find this podcast. Picking up on your point about the disposition of the people and power in governments and the directions they may take as a result of a crisis. You need to tell me why Canada is taking the direction that it is because in power is Mark Carney, a man who very well understands climate science and the climate urgency better than I would say any world leader in power right now, maybe Claudia Scheinbaum would be the one who can compete with him on climate science knowledge. And yet over the past twelve months fourteen months that he's been Prime Minister, that you helped in his campaign to put him into that position, he has not done the things that you would expect a predisposition to thinking on a clean energy dimension, do wanted in his campaign. He wanted Canada to become a clean energy superpower. He wanted Canada to become an energy superpower of all kinds. He has certainly worked on trying to get an oil pipeline to the West, but has he done anything to really accelerate the clean energy equation.
Speaker 2: Well, I would say it's early days. And I will say actually, one of the many, many, many reasons I did not go back into active politics after the campaign is that I never again want to be in the business of explaining the actions of policymakers to people. So I'm I'm not going to offer to speak for Prime Minister Kearney, but I will say that as someone who who cares a lot about my country and who has observed it very closely, both as an analyst and as a key advisor to policymakers over time, that Canada is a more complicated place than it looks from the outside, and its core psychosis is internal integration. When I was a grad student at McGill back in the nineteen nineties, we almost lost the country in a referendum by less than one percentage point. There has been another secession referendum in my lifetime in nineteen eighty which Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau won by twenty points. But it's always in the back of your mind that is there a set of policy issues that is acting as a force to pull the country apart. And I'm not making a normative judgment on the actors who will use that as an excuse to promote their own interests, which of course always happens in politics everywhere in Canada is no exception to that. But that coupled with the I was going to say the unique, but you could argue that the McKinley administration did the same thing in the latter last part of the nineteenth century. The aggressive posture of the United States to Canada means that policy choices that you would have in peacetime look a lot less attractive if you're governing the country at a time of unique crisis. So to answer your question directly, I think that let's wait and give Prime Minister Carney some time to adjust to this new reality and see what the climate policy is that he proposes to use to make progress in this context. But don't judge the actions and decisions that he's taken as if those two other big things that I just described are not happening, because they are. And if you're Prime Minister of Canada, the relationship with the United States and the unity of the country itself in reverse order, are the two things that are on your desk every day, no matter whether you want them there or not.
Speaker 1: One thing that he did do which sort of stood a lot of minds was give the speech at the World Economic Forum in Davos talking about the Middle Powers. You know, Canada, India, Germany, France, the UK like these are now all middle powers and with what's happening at the very highest level between China and the US. There is an opportunity, he said, for the Middle powers to come together to work on challenges, including climate change, that they could do something about. Now he has been going around the world talking to lots of countries, lots of Middle powers, trying to make treat deals happen. He's restored relationships with India, for example. Specifically, how do you think that will come together? Are we seeing any place where these middle powers are acting can act?
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, I think it will come together. I don't think it'll be in the traditional sense of an alliance. I don't see the headquarters of the Middle Power alliance in Madrid, where everybody where they're where there are five thousand bureaucrats working there and everybody comes for a leader's summit every year. I don't see it developing that way. But I also think that that's part the structural problem, is part of the problem with legacy alliances as well. I think he described it in DeVos as he didn't quite use these terms, but as a networked alliance that exists to reinforce each other's values and strategic policy objectives. And I think that's the kind of thing that you only notice it when you see it, and then when you see it you say, oh, okay, that's what Mark Carney meant. A large investment agreement between the Golf Cooperation Council and Canada wouldn't have happened outside of this context. So I wouldn't see it as a replacement for NATO, and I certainly wouldn't see it as a replacement for the European Union. But it is a viable, I think, a practical response to a world in which neither of the two superpowers can be depended upon to set the rules of the road and then more importantly obey them themselves as they conduct global affairs. So I see it as usual things get overblown in the media, but I see it as a very practical response to roads being closed off for the expansion of trade with traditional partners and security partnerships that are being undermined by the leader of the most important security partnership in the world, which is NATO.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the members I didn't mention, which you can now count as a middle power is the United Arab Emirates, you know, as part of OPEK, which it was until last month. It acted as Opek did in in geopopolitics. Obviously, their main goal is to try and keep oil prices not swinging as wildly as they could swing. They do swing wildly still, but at least try to mute the swings on the most extremes they have. Now the United Arab Emirates is now left Opek, how do you think that plays for the energy transition?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it's super interesting and I think it will be consequential over the long term. It depends, and nobody really knows what the true motivation was for the Emoradis to do this. That you can speculate a lot about the bilateral relationship with the Saudis, that they have a different forward view of oil in particular. My view is it's a mix of both those things. That the Emaradis have become wealthy enough that they want to chart their own course and they don't want to be bound to a club that has an obvious permanent president. Right, So, whether it's a chicken and egg argument, how many of those relationship problems between the Saudis and the Amoradis are generated by that strategic judgment versus the other way. Around. But in any case, I think you've got a really significant oil producer, the most one of the most significant gas producers now looking at the downslope of the hydrocarbon era and saying we want to have more policy freedom to play it in our own interest. It was interesting to me to listen to you try to describe what the preferred oil price outcome is for Opek, how you would describe it, And in my view, it's the same. Everybody has the same preferred outcome, which is a zone of self interest. You want the oil price to be. If you're a Saudi, you want to be high enough so that you make money, but not volatile so that it takes up too much attention and elicits the kind of policy responses that we're talking about on this podcast. If the United States, for most of my lifetime, you wanted the old price to be low, period. But I think this is one of the most underappreciated developments of the twenty first century, geopolitically or otherwise, certainly from a climate perspective. When the United States went from producing about three and a half three point eight million barrels in two thousand to thirteen and a half fourteen today. That is a fundamental change in the posture of the United States. Our friend and colleague Jason Bordoff wrote a good piece about this last week that it's probably unimaginable that this crisis happens if the United States does not have what it perceives to be energy independence is the holy grail of presidential policy that every president since at least Eisenhower has been chasing. Trump, Obama, and Biden have all had that. So they've interpreted and used that in very different ways. You can only understand Trump's decision making, his administration's decision making if you foreground that growth in the oil and gas industry domestically in the United States.
Speaker 1: The last question, I would bring up China because you know, in some form we've mentioned China here and there, but it's been sitting in the background for what is happening to the energy system now. There is an equivalence that people make about, well, you know, okay, we will move away from fossil fuels, but when we end up just depending on China because that's where all the non fossil fuel technologies are coming from. And then you look at the sales figures and the country is that don't care about whether stuff comes from China are very happily increasing their purchases of Chinese electrotech. In the month of March, thirty three countries set a record for the amount of solar panels, batteries and electric cars that they imported from China. But then places like Europe and the US are still very much oh China as a problem. How do you see the China dependence And when you talk to investors and large corporations, how do you tell them about thinking of this new dependence.
Speaker 2: Well, it's real, for one thing, and I think that for a long time. As someone who has advised policymakers in a G seven country, you know there are two kinds of people who advise heads of government on foreign policy. There are people who look very much like you and me, who think about the types of things that we think about, who are trying to maximize the economic value of the country's relationships around the world. And then there are people who tend to be dressed in uniforms who are skeptical of commercial actors and say things to heads of governments like, look at what all of those and suits have done for the country. They've exposed us to a massive security risk that Chinese don't share our values. They just want to steal our stuff and replace us at the apex of the geopolitical food chain. And the trouble if you're a policy maker is that both sides are right. And I think that whether you're in public policy directly or whether you're downstream of it in the investor class or the executive class, then you're trying to weigh these things that have no easy answer. Right, So it sounds like I'm avoiding your question, actuat, But this is what I say to our clients, that you have to define for yourself what your core interests are and where you're willing to absorb risk on in the aftermath of those big strategic decisions. And I think that you know, normally, historically the best technological wins. And I'm in the long term, in the long term, not necessarily in the short term. And if a lot of the people who are ideologically complaining about the ascent of China in this era, in this kind of micro era we're living through, are precisely the same people who fought the adoption of the technologies that would have made the United States a leader in these technologies, because after all, the US had a multi decade lead. They just surrendered it right and really without a shot being fired. So I think that these decisions are incredibly complex and they depend on what your specific use case and problems set look like as an investor or a corporate leader. But my sense is that the prevailing winds are blowing in China's direction on the energy system globally, and they of course could surrender that lead in the same way that the United States did. But as we've written pretty extensively both of us, the most important thing that's happened in the energy transition over the past ten years is that it is broken in half, right, and it is accelerating in the part of the world that looks to China as the technological apex predator, and it is decelerating in the part of the world that looks to the United States. That way, geographies like Europe are caught in the middle of it. But that's also as we both know not where the growth is going to be. Maybe I can conclude with this big picture thought. I often think about this when I think about these geopolitical trends. Over the course of my life, When I was born a million years ago, in the summer of nineteen seventy one in kperet Nova, Scotia, there were three point eight billion people in the world and it was controlled by the powers that won the Second World War. Right. I have two kids, one just turned twenty and the other is eighteen. Their core gen z and there are three point five billion people in their generation, and ninety percent of those people were born in emerging markets. So much of the disruption we're feeling in the world is a consequence of what we as a firm called the G zero many many years ago, that the institutional architecture that was set up to govern the world multilaterally by the United States and its allies in nineteen forty six from forty six to sixty has really dissolved because the world that it was created to govern has dissolved. And we're living in this interregnum where we don't know what the state the next staple equilibrium will look like. For fans of science fiction, as you and I were joking, we're living in a chaotic era, right, and we just don't know how long it will last and what will replace it. But certain things are becoming pretty clear that is, whatever energy drives the next stable equilibrium will be low carbon and probably dependent upon electrons rather than high carbon and dependent upon hydrocarbon molecules.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Jeredy Butts.
Speaker 2: Great to be here, real thrill.
Speaker 1: And thank you for listening to zero. Now for the sound of.
Speaker 2: The week Way Budd.
Speaker 1: That is the sound of the citizens of Trisolaris from the Netflix adaptation of The Three Body Problem, being told to rehydrate as their world enters a stable era, or so they think. If you liked this episode, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. This episode was produced by Oscar Boyd. A theme music is composed by Wondering. Special thanks to Laura Milan and Sharan chan Aymakshatrati. Back soon.