Speaker 1: Hey there, folks.
Speaker 2: It is Tuesday, June twenty fourth, and the prosecution rests, the defense rests, and Diddy says thank you to the judge in open court. Welcome to the second Diddy update of the day here on Amy and TJ and Robes. It was a day of developments, which is why we're hopping back on.
Speaker 1: A lot of.
Speaker 2: Stuff happened in the afternoon as we're recording this. It is early evening here on the East Coast. But a day of developments, including hearing Diddy's voice in open court. I guess just the we'll get into the exact quotes in a second, but just the idea of hearing from him seems like it's a big day, just that he spoke.
Speaker 3: Did you just imagine he said it the way you inflected it?
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Would take that? Take that take that.
Speaker 4: I was laughing. I was like, Wow, did he really do it? Just like that thing?
Speaker 2: You know what if you did, maybe you want to sound very sweet and very innocent today in court.
Speaker 1: We know I cannot imagine.
Speaker 3: Coming out it's probably Mike, thank you no, but this is the first time that we have heard from Ditty directly correct since the beginning of this trial.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think there had to be something where he had to give a nod or a yes, or maybe eighty little.
Speaker 1: I can't remember it though.
Speaker 3: The only thing I have seen reported on from folks in the courtroom is his demeanor, his facial expressions, the fact that he was nodding or nodding.
Speaker 4: Aggressively towards a juror.
Speaker 3: We've seen reports today that he was hunched over, reports that he wouldn't look at the screen when some of the explicit videos were being shown, But no, those were just descriptions of his behavior and his physical demeanor, but nothing from him directly.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 2: We've been following a lot of these coom these reporters, and we were reading their note today about him speaking. None of them mentioned that he had spoken prior, so I think they would have.
Speaker 4: They would have pretty sure that would have been a big deal.
Speaker 1: So this might have been it to hear from him the first time.
Speaker 2: We also had a cross examination that took longer than expected, which is now messing with the timeline.
Speaker 1: And also Diddy's team.
Speaker 2: Is asking for an acquittal right now and they haven't gotten an answer to that yet, So that's an afternoon of developments. That's why we jumped on. But I guess, like we said, the big one here hearing Diddy's voice. This is a standard part of any trial. We talked about it before it happened. We're going to hear from Diddy today because they always ask are.
Speaker 1: You going to testify on your own defense?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: But I thought it was interesting that the judge started with asking Diddy how he was feeling that.
Speaker 4: I've heard that before. I didn't either, but it.
Speaker 2: Once in a while though, cordial, how are you feeling?
Speaker 4: So the judge asked Diddy, how are you feeling?
Speaker 3: Comb says, I'm doing great, Thank you, your honor, and then.
Speaker 4: He added my favorite part. He tells the judge you're doing an excellent job. Charming as ever.
Speaker 1: I did like that, Okay, I did like it.
Speaker 2: Look everybody likes to be complimented, and a judge in his federal trial, I liked it. Who knows what it came off. I wonder how it felt in the courtroom. Was it actually a warm moment? Is it possible to have a warm moment in that courtroom?
Speaker 3: Possibly, but it does seem it seems like there's a motive behind a defendant telling a judge that he's.
Speaker 4: Doing an excellent job.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe he really felt that and thought that, but it just made me laugh a little, just because so much of what we're hearing about Diddy and his charming and uh, just he had a way with people. He knows how to make people do what he wants them to do.
Speaker 1: That was my thing.
Speaker 2: What if this was a matter of control that yes, I'm the defend that my life was on the line, but I'm telling you you're doing a good job. I still need my approval in this room. But what's going on?
Speaker 3: Using with confidence, ouzing with confidence, as is the defense.
Speaker 2: You notice our our afternoon updates. We're a lot looser. We're yeah, we are a punchy. We've been up since two thirty three in the morning at this point, so forgive us, but we're.
Speaker 1: Going to get through it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, we weren't even expecting to do this episode, but a lot happened this afternoon, and it was certainly worth noting, specifically because yes, did he did speak, so yes. Combs also told the judge that he was not going to testify. No one thought he was going to, and certainly the defense has told us over the last couple of days they weren't bringing any witnesses on the stand, so there was zero expectation that Combs was going to but we at least got to hear him formally tell the judge that and why and how he came to that decision.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they always want them to know that they have to tell the judge, and the judge has to be satisfied because you don't want this issue on appeal. Frankly, like you saying, definitely, I'm making this decision, making it on my own. I do not want to testify in my own defense. Look After he says that the prosecute and again this what they call summary witnesses. These are not necessarily for one side or the other, but they're essentially just to go through notes and to go through data for the jury and help them piece connect the dots. As you say, So, this is supposed to be a boring witness for a lot of ways. This dude was on from Friday through this afternoon early almost to the afternoon. He turned out to be very important, And I think this ended up being a defense witness, did it not, Yes, So.
Speaker 3: That's what I believe was going on. So yes, the defense didn't technically call any witnesses, but this Homeland Security special agent ended up being a conduit by which the defense was able to present texts and videos, and so they were in a way able to present its case through this prosecution witness, which is not what I don't think any of us expected at least. So, yes, he was only supposed to be on the stand for a while. He was on the stand for three days and much longer today, as you pointed out, than he was expected to. I believe the defense told the court they thought they'd need about an hour and change with him. He was up for what three hours made me more?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he ended up being very important. I think those.
Speaker 2: We've obviously kept up with every single day of the trial actually now to think about it, but some of the evidence, now, I guess some of the text messages he was able to introduce, or the defense was able to introduce through him, they paint a picture of almost loving, normal boyfriend girlfriend relationships. They paint a picture of women who are enthusiastic and we use the word earlier giddy. I think some of these text messages hit harder than a lot of previous ones. We've seen, and that's why this witness ended up being so valuable, possibly for the event.
Speaker 4: And you know, whoever goes last.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm wrong, but I would think leaves a bigger impression because it's the freshest on your mind. It's the thing that's closest to the decision you're going to end up coming to, just before you deliberate. This is the last bit of evidence you're hearing, so it tends to have a lot of weight. And yeah, we heard texts where we saw loving, consensual relationships, but we also saw explicit texts that were describing sexual acts, but consensual sexual acts.
Speaker 4: So those were two very important things.
Speaker 3: Not only did he have a loving, softer side, but it very much seemed through these.
Speaker 4: Techs that both Cassie and.
Speaker 3: Jane were, as you say, enthusiastically participating in explicit sexual acts. And they said so through their texts, through their own words, through their own written words in real time.
Speaker 2: That's powerful that they are initiating. There was not some they're not being coursed, they're not being right. They initiate a lot of this stuff. And look, the defense did its job.
Speaker 1: This is what they're supposed to do. Put a little bit of doubt. That's all you need. Reasonable doubts.
Speaker 2: Yes, that what they say did the prosecution prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. Look, all we could do is report on it from here and read transcripts in the courtroom. I don't know, piece by piece listening to every single bit of evidence beyond a reasonable doubt. Hibar Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of the reporters in the courtroom pointed out this text message that the defense was able to talk about and present to the jury was a message from Cassie even Too or Fine, who told Diddy in a text in twenty seventeen, you you are my best friend, and she said that there was no one that she.
Speaker 4: Loves more than him.
Speaker 3: That's hard to imagine that you would write a text to someone like that you are my best friend in a way that's even more powerful than any of this sexually explicit acts, or that I love you.
Speaker 4: I love you is.
Speaker 3: Because that's mutual admiration. That's that's a deeper bond in a way. I just thought that was really powerful.
Speaker 2: You know, I hadn't thought about it the way you're speaking of it now. I think a lot of people can relate to what those words mean, and it's tough to balance to that with this is a woman who is being, according to the prosecution, almost held hostage by this man because of threats of violence, because of threats of taking away rent, because the threats of her career.
Speaker 1: That paints a much different.
Speaker 3: Picture, right, Because if someone is obsessed with someone or or sexually obsessed with someone, it might create a different in a relationship. But a best friend sounds like a mutual, consensual, loving, friendly, respectable relationship.
Speaker 4: It's it's different than.
Speaker 3: Some of these explicit texts we see, and that for me, that had a lot of.
Speaker 4: Weight to it.
Speaker 2: You know, we were questioning why it seems amazing. It's remarkable that the defense, after all this and everything that's on the line, that they would not present any witnesses, but having is weird. I just noticed it now that over the past several days, all we've been talking about as the prosecution is putting on.
Speaker 1: Their case is the defense.
Speaker 2: Ye, because on they are putting on their case, they exactly have been doing that, and they've been making their points and they have been making some headway and having more Perry Mason and courtroom moments than we're used to.
Speaker 3: They are highlighting, and they have an highlighting over the past several days, but even specifically yesterday and today, massive inconsistencies by the prosecution's star witnesses. And that's with all of these loving kind texts. They just fly in the face of the direct testimony we heard from those two women. And these texts are irrefutable. Even the prosecution had to acknowledge their authenticity. These are real texts that happened from these women.
Speaker 2: So this is standard. They asked for an acquittal. That was the other big yes moment today. It's called it rule twenty nine I believe it's called a rule twenty nine motion.
Speaker 1: This is standard.
Speaker 2: So they go through and you kind of get a little insight into what their defense strategy is, what their closing argument might be, and what they think a winning strategy has been. But they laid out several things and a key part of it was saying that domestic violence is not sex trafficking. Yep, like we are copying to Yep, he absolutely put his hands on that woman. That is not him being violent forcing her to have sex, which apparently is a key to proving sex trafficking.
Speaker 1: It has to be the violence. That is a threat, and.
Speaker 2: They laid that out today as a part of the motion to say, hey, the prosecution hasn't even made its case. We don't even need to put a case on Absolutely.
Speaker 3: They also tried to dismantle the prosecution's claims that did He was participating in racketeering acts. They were trying to or at least they presented to the court that there was zero evidence or they failed to show evidence the prosecution did that did He tried to bribe anyone surrounding that hotel attack, that video that we saw, So I don't know because they said there was no police involvement because Cassie venture Fine didn't want any police involved, and no charges were So they're trying to go through each one of these charges against Didty and saying the prosecution did not prove those points.
Speaker 1: You just made the key you.
Speaker 2: Just started with. I'm sorry, I'm racking my brain now. Yes, folks, we have been up a long time. You just started with the racketeering as what you were talking about it hearing. Okay, this is maybe one of the biggest points that they made.
Speaker 1: They prove that Diddy and.
Speaker 2: Others he tried to hide the freak offs from other staff members. He tried to keep it a secret from some people. He tried to say, hey, wait till the coast is clear before you bring mister whoever cowboy.
Speaker 1: In to the room.
Speaker 2: If you do that, then that means you are not running a criminal enterprise in which you have fellow criminals doing your bidding, because you're actually trying to keep what you're doing from them.
Speaker 1: That is a big, big.
Speaker 2: Point about running a criminal enterprise racketeering. He is not a mob boss in this argument from the defense, because what does a mob boss do. Everybody on the lower level on the streets know what bidding they're doing. They're doing the criminal bidding for the guy, and the money's going right. It's not that kind of thing. They proved through text messages. He was trying to not involve people. What did the defence attorney say, they did Errand's make travel arrangements, They had anything to do with what went on with him his girlfriends, and.
Speaker 4: They acknowledged like, yes, did.
Speaker 3: He may have created some difficult, even abusive working conditions, grueling working conditions.
Speaker 4: Staffers had little sleep.
Speaker 3: They had to do his bidding at all hours of the night, with very little notice. But they point out they all could have left, and the reason why they did all of these things was not because of any threat or coercion or anything illegal. It was because they didn't want to lose their jobs. Much simpler, period, And that actually makes sense what they were saying, at least, what the defense was presenting today was kind of common sense. And the dismantle is the best way. They really did an effective job of trying to dismantle what the prosecution says.
Speaker 4: They've already proved well in.
Speaker 2: A simplistic way, in a way we can all digest. That makes sense to me. Yes, I've done. Who hasn't done something you didn't want to do because you want to hold on.
Speaker 1: To your job.
Speaker 2: Correct, I'm saying it didn't have to be illegal. Hell, I don't even want to go get your coffee that kind of a thing. It's not my job. I'm a junior partner here. Everybody has. But they put on their case. They did not put on a case, but they put one on as the prosecution was still having their own witnesses up there. So this is what they're going into now robes tomorrow. Wait, the timeline now is getting adjusted.
Speaker 3: Yes, so now, because this final witness for the prosecution went longer than expected, and I don't know how this shifts anything too much. The judge asked the jurors to return on Thursday at nine am. But the issue now is how long it's going to take and when they're actually going to be able to start their closing arguments. They think closing arguments now might bleed over into Friday, and so now there was the suggestion that the jury might not even begin deliberating until Monday, possibly late Friday, but possibly they won't even start until Monday.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we can probably rest assured we're not getting a verdict this week.
Speaker 4: I think that's highly likely and very probable.
Speaker 1: I wonder how long, I don't think. I don't think.
Speaker 2: I feel completely confident. The conference tomorrow for the jury instructions is or is not an open court.
Speaker 3: We're not sure yet, and so obviously we're hoping it is. So the jury will for sure not be present for that, obviously, because they're discussing what they tell the jurors and what the language is that they use for the jurors to go and start their deliberation, if it's open quart or not. But I don't know if reporters will be allowed, if the public will be allowed into the courtroom to hear that.
Speaker 4: I would think that they would be.
Speaker 3: I mean it would just the whole point of a court is to have it be transparent, to have it be something that the public can witness and watch and know that it's done ethically and correctly.
Speaker 4: So it would fly in the face.
Speaker 3: I mean, there are certain things obviously they don't want to get out. They'll take a taken aside and the judge's chambers or approach the bench that they don't want people to know or hear. But in terms of getting the jurors instructions, I'm trying to remember in other court cases that we have covered, whether or not we've been privy to that discussion and that conversation.
Speaker 2: I think so right now, I would say, yes, they're not coming back until noon tomorrow, so there are, but they all are all expected to be there tomorrow now, hope.
Speaker 1: I don't think robes haven't seen.
Speaker 2: Anywhere either that they expect the charge conference to go any longer than tomorrow. I don't think that's going to bleed into Thursday, right, They have to get that right.
Speaker 4: I think they have to get that wrapped up.
Speaker 3: I mean, who knows anything's possible, But I just looked it up and it says generally jury instructions are not open to the public during the deliberation process, but they are often part of the public court record after the trial. So I knew there had to be transparency. They're just not going to be transparent in real time after the fact. If people want to go and look and see how do they come to the decision to tell the jurors X, Y, and Z, that will be.
Speaker 4: Made public after the fact. And so.
Speaker 3: The actual deliberations, including the instructions right by the judge. Obviously you know the jury deliberations are private, but that's to protect the integrity of the process.
Speaker 5: So the jury instructions we'll see and those have been and if they say what they need four hours each for closing arguments on for Thursday.
Speaker 2: So even if we start at nine in the morning, whoever starts first is going to go in least until after lunch, and then whoever's after that is going to go through the rest of the day. So then you can expect that the next day they're going to start instructions to the jury. They do do this in open court, and he reads it word for word to them. They get it to go back. I mean, they have the instructures to go back with him a booklet, but he reads every line. This takes a long time. Yeah, from my experience.
Speaker 1: So will it take a full day? Will it take a half a day? That? I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's anyone's guess. Something else that was We're told it's standard. But I thought it was kind of interesting that the prosecution, once the defense rested today, they decided not to present a rebuttal case, which they're allowed to do. They made the decision not to, So I don't know how unusual that is, or if that's them trying to show their own moment of confidence to reprove dark case.
Speaker 2: They had nothing to but because they didn't present much of anything. A few text messages that they acknowledge, yep, that was part of the actual record.
Speaker 1: I mean, ye, I don't know if there was much to.
Speaker 3: Rebut that is that is actually fair? So I mean who knows. But yes, everything that happened today was what we were expecting to happen, including the defense asking for that acquittal and the judge saying that he will consider making a ruling on it, but not making a ruling on it. That's also very standard, very common. I don't know if he ends up actually having to make a ruling on it, having to declare I am denying your request for an acquittal. I'm guessing that has to happen.
Speaker 2: Perhaps tomorrow he will, but it seems strang I'm told that's common for them to do that, but I was still it seemed odd to me, like, of course, he's not gonna do an acquittal. It's just they have to ask. The judge then denies. It's part of all these major trials. I just didn't know why I didn't do it on the spot. But I think I read somewhere from one of the reporters that it's also common for the judge to handle it this way, just to kind of punt it to it.
Speaker 4: Let me think about it.
Speaker 3: It's like when you're a parent and your kid asks you for something and you know you're not gonna let them do it, but you just don't want to cause a scene right there, and you say, I'll let you know later, but you already know you're going to say, now, you know what we.
Speaker 1: Can talk about this when we get home, exactly.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's basically what.
Speaker 3: Happened today with the judge's decision. He's he already knows what he's going to say, which is, yeah, we're gonna give this to the jury.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine.
Speaker 2: I don't know that's obviously that's not gonna happen, But just there's been I'm waiting for something else, right, I'm waiting for another shoot to drop. I'm waiting for another shocking moment. I'm waiting for something to become a headline we weren't expecting. Don't know what that'll be, but I just it's been that kind of trial.
Speaker 3: It certainly has almost every day, but certainly at least once a week we get something that's actually we're not just exaggerating, jaw dropping. I mean, that's been the case, it seems, at least from the beginning, at least something each and every time.
Speaker 2: Right, But thirty four witnesses down and just a few more days to go before the jury starts deliberating folks.
Speaker 1: In this trial.
Speaker 2: We will continue to keep you updated, obviously well check back in with our Diddy update tomorrow. Always you can catch us on morning run with your news headlines. But for now I am TJ. Holmes and for Amy Robot. We always appreciate you running with us. No, we're not running today. This isn't run, This is the ditty run.
Speaker 4: Just listening to us, This is the morning receipt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know you're tired. Did we mentioned you didn't sleep last night at all? Zero on your Aura score, so yes, thanks for listening. Everyone, have a great one.