Speaker 1: There Are No Girls on the Internet, as a production of iHeartRadio and Unbossed Creative. I'm Bridget Tot and this is There Are No Girls on the Internet. Welcome to There No Girls on the Internet, where we explore the intersection of identity, social media, technology, and the Internet experience.
Speaker 2: And this is another installment of.
Speaker 1: Our weekly news roundup, where we summarize Internet news that you might have missed.
Speaker 2: Joey, thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 3: Hey, Bridget, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I have to start out with a question. Do you have any tech related pet peeves? You might have guessed this is like me asking you so that I can grape about mine, but I want to hear yours first.
Speaker 3: Joey, Oh, Bridget.
Speaker 4: So many why do you think about the show? So Okay, this is like a very smalling in the grand scheme of things pet peeve. But lately I've been really really annoyed with the Spotify algorithm. Uh, just because I don't know if y'all have tried, like they have this new not new, I guess it's been around for like a minute. But if you type in like angry mix or like happy mix, like it'll come up with like a collection of songs so they have created for you, and it just like hasn't been good. I've got some really weird butns I think especially, I don't know, I think I.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's also just like, like.
Speaker 4: I've listened to a very wide variety of music, so I feel like a lot of times too, like a lot of it will get like mixed up together when I don't like it'll it'll label things in certain genres that they aren't.
Speaker 3: Just because I've been listening to it a lot.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Anyways, I've been very annoyous to the Spotify algorithm lately. I'm not And also I've realized it has been very hard to find like new music to listen to because it just keeps recommending the same artists that I already listened to, like when I'm looking for new music, which you know is fun if I like, I'm just trying to listen to songs that I like. But like, I think, especially trying to find new stuff now just because of this new like these mixes that are tailored specifically for you, it makes it so much harder to find new stuff which I don't like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so and I don't know.
Speaker 4: There's so many issues that Spotify just as a company, and like the way that like the streaming sort of net industry works that I it's annoying.
Speaker 3: It's very annoying.
Speaker 1: You have like activated something in me because I could talk about this all day. So I think this is just I haven't done any research into this because it's just banter. But I think I know what's happening with your playlist, which I think that Spotify is probably if I had to say, deprioritizing human people who make curated playlists and curated recommendations. Like I know that they used to have like big teams of humans working at Spotify that made playlists, and I know that like they are using AI to do some of that now, so I wonder if that's had a hand in why the playlist don't earnest good. I also think like with the play with like when you're looking for new music, you want you when you listen to a song, you want the next algorithmically generated song to be like not the same artist or a song that you've heard before, but but spiritually the same.
Speaker 2: Like I know exactly what you mean.
Speaker 1: It's hard to put into words, like I want it to be like you're looking for something. It's it's very hard to verbalize, but do you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just weird, I think, especially with they keep doing these these ones that are based on emotion and it's like you can't have an AI pick out. I have a screenshot on my phone of one that was like happy mix, and the artists that they use in the picture it's Midski and like, like I.
Speaker 3: Listened to a lot of good Ski. That's not necessarily my happy music.
Speaker 5: I don't think many people would call up the happy music, but like the algorithm was like, oh, this has like an up tempo beat this song. I don't know what's got I totally, I totally think you're right though. I think it's a lot of the AI algorithm is sort of stuff regardless of.
Speaker 6: Because I you know what, I have a lot of friends that make great playlists.
Speaker 5: I think I make a pretty decent playlist. Like there's there's clearly something something's some lot of.
Speaker 3: Like TikTok music too.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've noticed the same thing.
Speaker 1: Something else I've really taken umbrage with on Spotify is how bad their podcast player is.
Speaker 2: Like I have Spotify Premium.
Speaker 1: I have to say, it is where I listen to my podcasts, but I am almost in like a toxic relationship with Spotify's podcast player. You'll try to rewind it thirty seconds and it's like, oh, did you want to start playing a totally different podcast?
Speaker 3: Oh, it's so weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's certain shows that they like showed the ads are different, like how they Yeah, it's really annoying for you know, for a company that is like meant not monopolized. I guess a lot of people use Apple Music like other platforms that really like taken over this market, like.
Speaker 3: They don't operate well.
Speaker 2: And I don't know.
Speaker 4: I keep reading things too, and I think this might lead into what you're going to talk about, But I keep reading things too about like so much of our music and media and stuff that used to have like analog copies, like now people are collecting. Because I was like, I can't even think of, like I don't even think about the option of leaving Spotify because I'm like I have all of my mus I've had Spotify since I was like like in high school, Like I have like all of my music there. I don't have hard copies of those you know songs that I like. I don't want to lose all of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a love hate relationship with analog, So I'm an analog person. Like because I am a woman of a certain age, I was really into record collecting like most like hip music people were in a certain era. And let me tell you, I've had to I have, So I have a massive record collection in my house. I have had to schlep this collection to multiple apartments when I move multiple cities. Had I and I started collecting records before streaming was ever a thing, So I never imagined that I would live in a world where you could just get every single piece of music that Devo ever put out at the touch of a fingertip. So it's like, no, I need to have every vinyl that they've ever made. That's the only way I'll ever be able to hear it. And then you have to shot them from like New York to San Francisco to apartment to the apartment.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, but that said.
Speaker 1: Like, as media companies and streaming companies delete stuff, like I've been hearing more and more about like, oh you bought this game, well guess what, Like we could actually just delete it. It kind of feels like in twenty twenty four, like what does it mean to own something digitally if you never really own it in a real sense if the company that you bought it from can just like take it away. And I don't know, part of me, especially as Netflix and Hulu like raise their prices, part of me is like, might have to dust off that old DVD player because I have a lot of those too, and that actually it does lead to my big tech pet peeves that I have like just been.
Speaker 2: Enraged by.
Speaker 1: I was visiting my parents and my mom has got a new car, so I was driving her car and it's brand new, but it's super slick, and her car barely has any buttons in it, like physical pressable, clunky old school buttons. Everything is done on a touchscreen mounted on the dashboard pretty much everything. So I'm like driving and I'm trying to use my hand to you know, turn up the volume, turn the song, or put on the heat or whatever, and I'm feeling around expecting there to be like a touchable button.
Speaker 2: It's all on a touch screen.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you've driven a car like this, I'm sure there are people listening who are like, oh, I prefer the touchscreen, but.
Speaker 2: Whatever happened to a good old fashioned button?
Speaker 1: Like what is this assumption that touch screens are automatically better than a good old fashion clunky button that you press.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, no, I.
Speaker 4: My mom also has a car with this sort of technology. And it's the like Tesla effect where everybody's picking up because I think Tesla was the first one to have the like just iPad screen in there, and it's awful, like driving, it is so annoying and like trying to deal with the control.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, I don't understand the appeal of it.
Speaker 1: So we actually might not be alone in this. Because this is from life Wire. The European New Car Assessment Program or euro en CAP gives safety ratings for cars, and next January, cars will not be able to get a five out of five rating unless they use buttons, stocks or dials for essential safety features. That's what I'm talking about. I'm sure people listening are like, it's better on.
Speaker 2: A touch screen.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. Buttons were fine. What did buttons ever do to anybody?
Speaker 3: Exactly? It's the same with everything. It's the same with like iPhones, Like as soon as they got rid of the this is my back in, you.
Speaker 7: Know, all the technology these days, but like I feel like once they got rid of the home screen on like iPhones or like the little home button home screen button on iPhones, like that was it.
Speaker 2: That was the end, That was the end of everything.
Speaker 1: Everything went to shit, her whole her, whole culture. I was just on the podcast also on Outspoken, Black Fat and Fem and one of the questions they were they asked was like, what's your what was your favorite piets technology? And it sent me down this rabbit hole of how much I loved BlackBerry. And part of it was that it had the clickable button and this like clickable kind of mouse stingy in the middle, like a circular button, And I swear to you I would type messages on my BlackBerry like I thought I was like working for the Obama White House or something like.
Speaker 2: I took it so seriously.
Speaker 1: I thought I thought I was like, you know, sending high pressure, high stakes emails.
Speaker 2: Mine.
Speaker 1: I was in my early twenties, so I definitely was not sending anything of any import. But something about the clickable button made me feel like I was really doing business.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was thing.
Speaker 4: About blackberries too that I feel. I don't know at least so I understand. I was a child when blackberries were a thing, so I always associated it with like it being my dad's like serious work phone that he had to So I was like in my mind, like blackberries are like this serious, like I am doing.
Speaker 3: I am going to work.
Speaker 4: You know what a child assumes an adults, Uh, you know, job and careers like bridget.
Speaker 3: Have you seen the BlackBerry movie?
Speaker 2: But I sure have. I thought it.
Speaker 1: I was lucky enough to get sent a screener. Thank you whoever made that happen. But I wait, did you see it?
Speaker 3: I have not seen it.
Speaker 4: I do love my god, I'm Glenn Howardton, though, so I I gotta see it.
Speaker 1: This is okay. So I love Glenn Howardton, I love Always Sunny. I love their podcast. Or I listened to it for a while. I couldn't fallen off on it. But when I tell you that, like I believe he could have been nominated for an Oscar for Best Actor for his work in this movie, like the BlackBerry Movie?
Speaker 2: Is his Citizen Kane like he is? He is?
Speaker 6: He?
Speaker 1: I didn't I guess there are I don't know if you watch Always Sunny, But there are times in it when his character Dennis has a real like white hot intensity, and I think and I never really yeah, I never really thought he I never really put that together like, oh, this is like very good acting. He is like a very good actor. You gotta see it. Please watch it and tell me what you.
Speaker 2: Think it is.
Speaker 4: It's definitely on my list. Yeah, that was my I feel like that's a great character for him. I would love to see him play more like somebody. Actually, I think, God, there's something some.
Speaker 3: Tweeters something I saw right.
Speaker 4: I am against the idea of these types of remakes, by the way, just disclaim her, but somebody like they might be making an American Psycho remake or something. And somebody immediately posted like a picture of him as like the oh this guest.
Speaker 3: And I was like, that would be perfect, that would be so funny.
Speaker 4: That is the one actor I actually would go see again another needless remake of a movie, but.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I would I would absolutely watch that. I would absolutely watch that. Yes, cannot like ten out of ten BlackBerry movie. Also, it really captures that time very well, just the time of like you know when iPhone came out and it was like that Steve Jobs announcement up on the stage, you know, like just this how we were all communicating that it really it really is. It does a great send up of that era, and I feel like this whole segment is kind of like er kids these days technology, which leads us into our first topic very well, which is an update on what is happening in the fight to potentially ban TikTok.
Speaker 2: Have you been following this?
Speaker 4: I found out about this probably the same way a lot of people did, which is that I opened TikTok and there was a very alarming in pographic thing that like immediately pops up being like save TikTok.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's that's about as far.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna lie. Honestly, I saw it and kind of exited out of it and just kept scrolling.
Speaker 3: I was not in the mood to think about reality at that point.
Speaker 1: But yes, you're like, I'm just trying to disassociate with some tiktoks.
Speaker 4: That was not why I opened TikTok was to find out about the government collapsing.
Speaker 3: I don't know whatever is happening.
Speaker 1: So if you like Joey opened your TikTok app and saw a big black and white banner that said stop a TikTok shutdown. Congress is planning a total ban of TikTok. Speak up now before your government strips one hundred and seventy million amy Americans of their constitutional right to free expression. This will damage millions of businesses, destroy the livelihoods of countless creators across the country. And then I, artists and audience, let Congress know what TikTok means to you. So here's what's going on. A bill that would force TikTok's Chinese owner, Byte Dance to sell passed a big vote today. The House Energy and Commerce Committee voted unanimously to pass this bill, meaning that TikTok is one step closer to essentially kind of being banned of the United States. Now, to be clear, this legislation would force Byte Dance to sell TikTok to an American owner, But because of the complicated nature of that, like who would they sell to, how would work? We break all of this data in an episode with Abbey Richards that will put in the show description.
Speaker 2: Basically, people are calling it.
Speaker 1: A ban even though it technically isn't because forcing TikTok to sell to an American owner is like so complicated that it may as well be a ban. This bill in order to become a law would stove the past the House and the Senate, and some senators have already expressed opposition to it. So if you open your TikTok app like Joey and got that big alert urging you to call your congress person, that is why basically TikTok is kind of going on the offensive here. And even though this is just one hurdle of several other hurdles that would have to be satisfied for this to become the law of the land, I think TikTok is.
Speaker 2: Really feeling the heat.
Speaker 1: I actually did not get one of these alerts my open TikTok today.
Speaker 2: I wonder if it's because they know that I'm in Washington, d C.
Speaker 1: And I don't have a voting member of Congress and I can actually call on So if you don't live in Washington, DC and you actually get to enjoy meaningful congressional representation, well congratulations, call your congress person for me and tell them that I like TikTok.
Speaker 4: I imagine that having congressional representation. I do think I gotta say, I do think it is a little bit funny because and not to single out of TikTok. Obviously this is like a universal issue, but TikTok has done so much to repress activists within, you know, particularly recently, it is a little bit funny to see them now utilizing their platform to.
Speaker 3: Be like, come on, call your congress people.
Speaker 2: We love free expression. What are you talking about?
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, that's one of the things that is so tough about this conversation is that I have a lot of gripes with TikTok. I have a lot of gripes about their moderation. I have a lot of gripes about how content is promoted or not promoted, whether or not certain topics are being suppressed. I'm not the only person in hearings. Lawmakers have asked about this too, And so I don't want to make it seem like I am like yay TikTok. TikTok has no problems, but some of the way that these lawmakers are framing TikTok I really take issue with. And so it's an issue where it's like it almost sounds like I am very pro TikTok, even though I really like you, Joey, I know that that TikTok has a lot of big problems, and I have a lot of big concerns about how they're moderating certain things and how they're some of their policies. And I do have to say it does sound like this push to get folks to call their Congress people is working. One house GOP staff or told Politico quote, it's so so bad. Our phones have not stopped ringing. They're teenagers and old people saying they spend their whole day on the app and we can't take it away. Here's Representative Jamal Bauman from New York saying that banning TikTok would silence the voices of younger Americans, particularly who are using the app to organize for things like climate justice or a full cease fire.
Speaker 2: My colleagues are trying to ban TikTok, which is crazy.
Speaker 8: They're doing it because of the oppression, because of your organizing, It's because of your good worth. One million email sent to ban the Wiggle Project, full million emails sent to demand a sees via much more work to do as we head into these and lectures and beyond. Again, they're not trying to do anything to Facebook, even though China gets most of this information from Facebook. They're going after TikTok because they're going after young people.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break.
Speaker 2: At or back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I know, and like I mean to clarify what I said before too, I think I think honestly like for you know, obviously TikTok itself and I agree with you like TikTok is it's not a lot of messed up stuff, but at the same time, it is this platform for particularly young people and uh, you know, like he said in the video, I think, you know, it's part of the preason TikTok that gets targeted out these other platforms is because it isn't primarily younger audience.
Speaker 3: And yeah, we've seen all these like movements.
Speaker 4: You know, TikTok may not necessarily treat those movements well and treat those you know kind of voice as well on their app, but it is a platform for a lot of these more progressive movements that I think, especially like you know, this past year, and that is something that there are people that have stakes in silencing that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I can't sort of turn off the part of the conversation that does feel sort of like handwringing about like what are the youth doing on their phones? And like I am a huge proponent of you know, safer digital experiences, particularly for young people.
Speaker 2: But people are.
Speaker 1: Describing the views and attitudes of young people in this way that it's like, oh, well, it must be the app that is making them feel this way. And it's like it couldn't possibly be that young people are smart and empathetic and they've looked at the facts.
Speaker 2: I'm like, they have the point of view.
Speaker 1: It's like it just seems it just seems very disingenuous to make it seem like TikTok is the reason why young people are you know, organizing for a full ceasefire and things like that. Like it just it just feels very belittling to their perspective and their point of view. And I just I don't, I don't do you know, do you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: If I'm being clined, I totally agree.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think it's a kind of like tale as old at time, there's always you know, the latest technology or like the latest thing. It's always you know this, this thing is exposing our kids to this new idea.
Speaker 3: It's never like hey, there's just this idea out there.
Speaker 4: That is appealing to people because you know X, Y Z, Like I don't know, but but again, yeah, like this is the same thing with every kind of new technology, every kind of new art form.
Speaker 3: Not to say that.
Speaker 4: TikTok is necessarily an art form, but I don't know, like a new kind of platform or of like communication. This is kind of the conversation that has had over and over and over again, and like A, there's that and then B I think they're genuinely I mean, I don't want to say I don't know what is up, because I do think I know what is up, and it is it is so weird, like with the calls for ceaspire, I think with like previously, when like the Black Lives Matter protests were kind of in a bull swing, like every single time, there's sort of this idea of like oh this, well, like my kid couldn't actually think that, or like general public couldn't think this because it is against what the status quo is or against what is like the most convenient kind of point two, I don't know like it is sort of part of the thing that is like politically most convenient.
Speaker 3: That kind of argument is connected to so many things.
Speaker 4: I think that's where you get like what like Nancy Pelosi tell like protesters to like go back to Russia or whatever because they're like agents of the crumbling, like it was some crud. We're talking about Palestide, which is a totally different, Like I don't know, like if this it's this idea that people in general can't think for themselves, and especially young people and especially progressive young people, And I think that is not surprising, and I don't think it's gonna stop necessarily, but yeah, it is, like clearly that's the root of the problem, not the fact that.
Speaker 3: TikTok is like poisoning people's minds.
Speaker 2: Yet it's so insulting.
Speaker 1: We have talked about a TikTok ban on the show before, and so I think folks probably know how I feel about it. You know, just like any social media platform in twenty twenty four, there are definitely valid concerns about TikTok.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Anybody who tells you that there are not security concerns with TikTok just doesn't know the facts. There were reports that TikTok accessed journalists' information in an attempt to identify which employees were leaking information about the app. TikTok actually admitted to doing this, according to an internal email, but when asked about it directly, TikTok CEO responded that, oh, well, spy is not the right way to describe that, which, like it did sound like spying to me, so TikTok doesn't.
Speaker 2: I don't want to make it seem like.
Speaker 1: TikTok has like a squeaky clean record, because they do not. However, this is not the kind of opposition that lawmakers are levying against TikTok. They're saying that TikTok is a big national security threat because it is a Chinese owned company and the platform is being used to like steal American data and feed it to the Chinese Communist Party.
Speaker 2: So not only is.
Speaker 1: There no smoking gun or no evidence of this being the case, it's also just like a plainly xenophobic thing to say, Like the way that lawmakers have spoken to the head of TikTok makes it clear to me that there is some obvious xenophobia going on, And so I think that lawmakers have sense that people want them to crack down on big tech, and I think that lawmakers want to look tough on China always, right, and so going after TikTok as this singular boogieyman is a way for them to kill two birds with one stone and really do that. I also think that the reality here is that the United States wants to remain the sort of major, big player when it comes to big tech. They don't like the idea of other countries, you know, becoming major players in the big tech landscape and the social media landscape. They wanted to just be for you know, your Mark Zuckerberg's and your Elon Musk's of the world and not your shows these shoes of the world.
Speaker 2: And I think that's what it really comes down to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 4: I mean they've been very transparent about the fact that it is more to do with China than it has to do with like protecting people's data or whatever, which like I don't know, yeah, like Facebook's probably doing just as much harm, if not more. And uh, I mean that that clip of the like Senate hearing where they just.
Speaker 3: Kept asking the guy if he was part of the Chinese part.
Speaker 1: Like what's their connection to China? Right, but really, what's your connection to China?
Speaker 2: Like it's so fucked up. The fact that people.
Speaker 4: Like still think this is about genuine safety concerns and not just yeah xenophobia. Like after that, I think just kind of goes to show how messed up a lot of this is. But yeah, again, like it is sort of the double edge or the sort of two sided issue of like this, there's still all these issues with this platform. They've still done a lot of messed up stuff. But also like, clearly this is not coming from a good place or from a genuine concern for people's safety.
Speaker 1: Because if, for we're coming from a genuine concern for all of our data privacy, we would have some sort of meaningful data privacy legislation, which we in the United States do not. It does not begin an end with banning TikTok. All of our data is essentially on sale for whoever wants it, including China. Only a few weeks ago, Biden signed an executive order that limited the sale of some of our data in some ways to quote countries of concern, including China. But as Wired points out, this scative order only means that US data brokers need to take some steps and some security requirements during transfer, many of which were already required by law, and so like, I have a hard time understanding why TikTok is this massive threat of all of our data being given to China, given that a foreign adversary like China would not even need TikTok to get that data right now, you know, as long as they follow certain specific guidelines, they can totally legally buy that data from US based data brokers. And so that to me is a huge problem. I don't think that we should be making TikTok this big, you know, boogeyman while not meaningfully addressing the actual root cause of the issue, which is that we don't really have the kind of data protections and privacy protections that we need in this country. And so, just to sort of wrap this up, I think it is still too soon to say whether or not TikTok will actually be banned. If I was a betting woman, I believe it could be banned. Like like, I think it's more likely than not, but that's just my opinion. But even still, this bill still needs to pass both the House and the Senate and be signed into law. By the President, in which case, if it did become the law, Bite Dance will still have six months to sell before any kind of band ticks effect.
Speaker 2: So we'll keep following this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I guess we'll find out.
Speaker 4: I will say, I personally, I don't think it's gonna end up being banned.
Speaker 2: I think, ooh tell me more.
Speaker 3: I just think.
Speaker 4: I just think it's it's like ben in the kind of culturals I guess too long, Like it's like if this the first round of this happening, I was like, oh, yeah, they're definitely gonna ban tich Talk. I feel like by this point, by like twenty twenty four, I feel like it's too far gone.
Speaker 3: And also, like they said, you.
Speaker 4: Know, there's all these like teenagers and older people too, I guess like calling in and complaining about it.
Speaker 3: I do think. I think at least if there is a band, I don't think it's gonna last.
Speaker 4: I think it'll it'll or there's gonna be some sort of way of going around it.
Speaker 1: But oh, for sure. That's something I really think about a lot. Is like in like you could like there are so many ways to get around this band. I would also be really curious how it will be enforced, and you know, it has to be said that I do think TikTok has really been instrumental in traditionally marginalized communities really being able to have a bigger voice. You know, our communities have you know, don't unless you like know, somebody on the mask tedd at the New York Times or whatever. Sometimes it's hard for our communities to really have access to the kind of media power that other groups have. And so I do think that this is if it is banned, I think that marginalized creators and marginalized communities would really suffer the most because we don't always have those avenues and those channels that are ready built to get our voices and stories out there. There are so many things pertaining to marginalized communities that I personally would not have known about if not for TikTok, and so I'm concerned that that as a platform for me staying informed about what's happening in other traditionally marginalized communities other than my own. I'm concerned for what the banning of that app means for me being able to stay informed with what's going on.
Speaker 4: Definitely, yeah, I totally agree, And I mean, I feel like part of the reason why right now this is so concerning is just the fact that it's like Twitter's gone to shit too, Like there's not necessarily like I feel like TikTok was kind of where I turned when Twitter stopped being like functional.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, I don't know what's gonna where people are gonna go next.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel the exact same, speaking of Twitter being kind of a garbage factory, Well, this week over on Twitter, they rolled out video and voice calls.
Speaker 2: Y'all might recall that Elon Musk.
Speaker 1: Really wants Twitter to be like an everything app where you do your banking, your phone calls, your emails, all the things that you already do online now. But I guess like you can do all of those things over on Twitter, but I guess at great security risk to yourselves and also shitty.
Speaker 2: I guess that's how he's envisioning it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you never want him to like access your bank account, but in a less secure and more annoying way.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, finally a solution to this problem. So, because we're talking about Elon Musk, here the rollout of these video and voice calls has not been good and it's been rolled out to everyone.
Speaker 2: By default.
Speaker 1: You do not get the option of opting in if you had the Twitter app on your phone. I don't think it's on the browser yet, but you have it. So here's what you need to know about this rollout. First of all, Twitter's new video and voice calls leaks your IP address to anybody that you talk with, and it's really complicated to limit who you can talk to. Tech Crunch has a really good explainer which we'll link to in the show notes, where they say that a person's IP addressed is not like hugely sensitive necessarily, but these online identifiers can be used to infer location and can be linked to a person's online activity, which can be dangerous for high risk users. So if you're an activist, if you're a public figure, if you're a dissident, if you're somebody who you know is engaged in sensitive conversations or sensitive work, that could be concerning for you. Another thing to know about this is that Twitter does not mention encryption in any of their official help center pages at all, so their calls probably are not end to end encrypted, which potentially allows Twitter to listen in on conversations into end encrypted messaging apps such as Signal or WhatsApp. Those prevent anybody other than the caller and the recipient from listening in. And I do feel like, luckily we're going to a place where that is like more of the norm. And it's kind of interesting to me that Twitter rolled this out without even referencing whether or not calls are encrypted in any of their messaging. When tech Crunch actually emailed Twitter to ask about this, like incredibly basic privacy and security thing, they of course got the standard Twitter reply, which is like, oh, we're busy now, please check back later, which again to me, really speaks to the carelessness with which this was rolled out, you know, giving it to everybody by default, you know, not having people opt in or even like meaningfully telling them what's going on, and then not being able to answer some of these basic security questions to me is like a big red flag. So my advice to everybody is, unless you have some particular need to be doing calls over Twitter, you should turn this off.
Speaker 2: It's pretty easy to turn off.
Speaker 1: We will drop the tech Crunch piece with pretty clear instructions with images on how to do this.
Speaker 2: In the show notes.
Speaker 1: But unless you've got some real pressing need to have elon musk, like listening to your sensitive phone call, I suggest that everybody.
Speaker 2: Turn this off. Let's take a quick break at our back.
Speaker 1: So, speaking of online shenanigans, I have to talk about this recent report from BBC breaking down a new ish disinformation trend that we're seeing ahead of the twenty twenty four US presidential election, which is fake AI generated images of Trump with black people. So I've actually seen a bunch of these in the wild. The one that sticks in my mind is an image of Trump posing with a bunch of young black men. This was shared un ironically by somebody that I follow on Facebook or like I'm friends with on Facebook, and so like was not shared in a like, look how stupid this is kind of way, shared in a like yay Trump, this is great kind of way. And so the caption of this fake image was like Trump's motorcade was driving around Baltimore when these kids asked him to stop and take a picture. And it was seen by one point three million people. And it's one of those images where like, if you thought about it for ten seconds, like think about it critically, for ten seconds. If Trump's motorcade was driving through Baltimore and a bunch of random kids on the street were like, Hey, Trump, stop your motorcade and get out of a car and take a picture with us. Do you think that would happen? Like, it's just like it's one of those things where it's like the image is compelling. I will give them that, But if you just thought about it, you would realize this is this doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: It doesn't it doesn't hold water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say I would not expect that to be something that Trump would do realistically. I'm also like, looking at this photo, I mean, it's the whole it's the AI thing, where like I can I get how people could like maybe mistake this for an actual image at first, but they're so like allthough the people in the picture look so like airbrushed, it's so weird.
Speaker 1: Yes, their skin is like way too polished and smooth and kind of kind of like shiny in that way that just like your normal skin doesn't skin unless it's fake.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, one of these pictures, because I'm just seeing them now for the first time, one of them genuinely does like it actually is a little freaky, like it look kind of looks like a real photo. And I think if I was like scrolling on like Instagram and I saw it, I would assume it was a real photo. But like, yeah, no, it all of these photos like whenever, like AI photos always.
Speaker 3: Like have a weird kind of like inhuman quality to them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they do.
Speaker 1: Now it concerns me, like, like not even that long ago, we were always like, oh, look at the hand, look at the fingers, And now it's like it's it's figured out how to do the hands on the fingers, and now we have to look at other tells.
Speaker 2: And so I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I do think a lot of these pictures like I'm not above this, like I have been taken by AI pictures before, even as somebody who thinks about disinformation and AI a lot, Like I think it was the.
Speaker 2: Pope image the Pope. Yeah, that one got me.
Speaker 1: But it was exactly like you said it was the morning I was I had not I didn't have my contact lenses in yet. I was just like drinking coffee and scrolling social media on my iPad in the morning while having breakfast, and like you, like of course, in that instance, when you're just quickly scrolling and you're not necessarily primed and poised to be having your critical thinking hat on, you might see something quickly and be like, oh, okay, sure, Like guess the Pope is wearing this Balenciaga puffer. Guess Trump is hanging out in Baltimore with these kids on the stoop, Like, guess it makes sense, and we should have a media ecosystem where you don't have to have your critical thinking cap on twenty four to seven whenever you're on social media to determine what is true and what is fake. Like it is wild to me that we all have to be so on our toes all the time, but I do think in this climate we kind of do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely and yeah again, Like this this first photo, I.
Speaker 3: That that if this one it's it's.
Speaker 4: Just like with a group of like the women, yah, the women, yeah, the one with the yeah, this first one, that one's freaky that that I think that could trick me like that you can still tell even with that one, like the hands are a little bit miss messed up, but the way they have it, like you can only really see like two people's like one hand on two different people. So so it's easier to kind of look over I think it's easier to kind of.
Speaker 3: Like not not really catch on.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, this is just a perpetual aid a nightmare.
Speaker 1: But you know, so, as far as we know, these images are not coming from anybody connected to Trump or Trump's campaign, but the co founder of the organization Black Voters Matter, which is a group that encourages black folks to vote, says that the manipulated images were clearly pushing a kind of strategic narrative designed to show Trump as popular in the black community. And so we don't even need to look to AI to see this everywhere, this notion that black folks like Trump. I you know, try to monitor what's happening in known disinformation spaces and in far right extremist media. They say things they're so fucking racist, but they say things like, oh, well, the Trump mugshot means that black people are gonna love Trump, or like the Trump sneakers, you know how black people love sneakers. It's like it's the so like it's not just coming from these AI visual disinformation pieces that message that black people are excited about Trump. I'm seeing being pushed in spaces that have nothing to do with AI, and it's it's very telling to me.
Speaker 2: And again, they're always so.
Speaker 1: Offensive the way, like like the way that they are.
Speaker 3: The sneakers one was crazy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the sneakers one was so like I was like, oh, okay, we're.
Speaker 2: Doing that all right?
Speaker 1: Yeah it is And so like what I guess, even though you don't need AI to make this kind of offensive, you know, digital fakeries, it is concerning. So the Washington Posts Tech Vertical spoke to the person who made the image that you're talking about that that you said looked so real. He is Mark Ka, a host of a conservative radio show in Florida, who said that he created the image using the AI image tool mid Journey to illustrate a November twenty nine post about Trump's alleged growing support among black voters. He said that he knew that posts that have an image tend to perform better on social media platforms, so he just made this image on mid Journey and he said it took him thirty seconds to create, which is concerning that like, in less than a minute somebody could make this like pretty convincing image. The Washington Post also spoke to doctor Joan Donovan, who made a really good point about that coverage of this kind of thing is kind of tricky and can also sort of feed into the problem because the people who make these kinds of images want people to be talking about them, right, and so the image itself might not be newsworthy until it gets a kind of coverage that makes it go viral. Doctor Donovan says, one of the things we have to consider about campaigns like this is how much they are stunting in terms of trying to get media attention for something that otherwise would not merit headlines. Some propagandists might recognize that it's possibly not newsworthy that black people support Trump, but it is newsworthy that AI generated photos of fake voters are circulating. And to doctor Donovan's point, Marquaye actually said that his AI generated fake Trump images did not go viral until they were covered by BBC, and so you know, doctor Donovan might have a point there.
Speaker 2: So doctor Donovan went further and spoke to.
Speaker 1: This idea that yes, like AI that gives people the ability to quickly and effectively make this kind of visual disinformation is really scary and like bad but cheap fakes and other kinds of medium manipulation also exists, and it's also a big concern because you know, whereas these Trump deep fakes now have labels on Facebook and Instagram that say they are not real, cheap fakes and other kind of low budget media manipulation might not trigger that the same kind of misinformation detectors in the same way and can potentially spread further.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely, And yeah, like like something that Trump has been very good at, like you know, monopolized. They're taking advantage of media coverage and media coverage of like you know, outrageous or sort of out their behavior.
Speaker 3: This kind of reminds me of like.
Speaker 4: Early on, I think this was more the twenty sixteen election, but I look the twenty twenty election too, Like whenever there would be like some sort of group of like marginalized people that.
Speaker 3: Supported Like I remember there was a big like kind of.
Speaker 4: Article about this like gaze per Trump like thing, and it was.
Speaker 3: Like, Okay, it doesn't even like it's probably like.
Speaker 4: A a tiny group, and then b it's like the whole like sort of like shock value. It is like, Wow, this marginalized group that like the Republican Party kind of hates uh is supporting like their super right wing candidate. But yeah, like again, that's not necessarily newsworthy. It's sort of not showing to scale the actual kind of impact of these there or not showing to scale like the actual support or numbers or whatever what that means. What that argument is, there's probably what there's people of you know, whatever marginalized group that support Trump or the Republicans for like whatever reason, God and of itself is not necessarily newsworthy.
Speaker 3: But what it does is it kind of like distorts distorts like the wider story and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's it's just weird. It's like, yeah, once everything about this election is just gonna be so insane.
Speaker 3: It already has been.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Think you make a really good point that I think that's what doctor Donovan is saying, is that, you know, we really need to be thinking a little deeper about these stories and what makes them do is worthy Because a group of gay people loudly advocating like a small group of gay folks advocating their support for Trump, it's not like there's a deeper story about well, has Trump actually you know, been good for this community, and what are the actual numbers of folks who support Trump? Like I do, I do wonder if it it like makes it tempting to turn what otherwise would just be like maybe a small stunt or something into a larger pattern.
Speaker 3: You know. It definitely, like yeah, it definitely.
Speaker 4: It feels like the issue is mainly just that, like it's sort of changing what the actual meaning of Like it changes changing what the story is. It's implying something about the way a certain group of people votes. I feel like the whole kind of way of like tracking votes based on like you know, particular identities that people have too, Like that already is so outdated and like we've already seen the kind of nuances of that, and like you know, yeah, there's different factors in people's lives that make them vote certain ways or do certain things or believe certain things and just kind of like groping in it into like.
Speaker 3: I don't know this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, again, it feels like they're following for what the this kind of campaign wants them to, like what message they want them to circulate, which doesn't seem.
Speaker 1: Good exactly, And that's exactly what Disinformation specialist Nina Jenklitz, who was also on the podcast before, said that we don't actually need to be totally terrified because we do have common sense, and common sense is still a really good deep fake detector. And Nina says, you know you should when you see images like this, you should ask yourself, like, is Trump actually a great friend to the African American community?
Speaker 2: If something seems.
Speaker 1: Off about it, it is probably a deep fake, right, And so just really going back to our common sense of well, what do I know about this person? Does this seem like something that would actually be doing. I also would go further and say Donald Trump is a known germa phone, He's not usually photographed like like that. And the one deep fake image he's like hugging these two women, and it's like he's not someone who is generally photographed being that touchy feely with people, let alone black women.
Speaker 2: So is that something that you would see right right? Right?
Speaker 3: Known racist? Like this is not I literally I that can like the twenty.
Speaker 4: Six er I guess yeah, thought that would be twenty six back in twenty sixteen, like because I was I'm from Chicago originally, and there was like a rally that he canceled in Chicago because he was afraid he was going to be like get shot. Like it was because of all of his stuff that he was like it was insane, like this man and and I'm not saying, I don't know who's to say what would have happened, but it's like one of those things of like this man is so like I don't think he is going into predominantly black neighborhoods uh in Baltimore if like, I just that just not seemed to be the kind of thing that he uh would be putting himself. But that situation because of certain beliefs that he has.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't see Donald Trump stopping his motorcade and chilling with the homies on the stoop in Baltimore.
Speaker 2: You don't see it.
Speaker 3: You know, anything could happen.
Speaker 1: More after a quick break, let's get right back into it. Well, speaking of AI, you know, we talk on this show a lot about AI deep fakes, specifically non consensual deep fake images, and it really does feel like every week there's like a new school where it's happening, or a new celebrity who is being targeted but now representative Alexandria Okazio Cortez has a plan to stop it. AOC told Rolling Stone that she's going to be leading the House companion of the disrupt Explicit Forged Images and Non Consensual Edits Act of twenty twenty four, also known as the Defiance Act. It's a anacronym. That's why it's such a mouthful to say. With a bipartisan group of representatives. So this bill is her first move since being named to the House of Representatives by partisan Task Force on AI. So, how this legislation would work is that it amends the current Violence Against Women Act so that people can sue anybody who produces, distributes, or even receives deep fake, non consensual pornographic images if they knew or recklessly disregarded that the victim did not consent to those images. AOC says that she developed the legislation working with survivors and survivors groups, which to me is very important because oftentimes legislation that doesn't really like center and listen to the people impacted can end up having, you know, a different impact than the intended impact, and like can just end up like not making the lives of people who are targeted or survivors better more than twenty five organizations have endorsed this bipartisan legislation, including the National Women's Law Center, the Sexual Violence Prevention Association, the National Domestic Violence Hotline, and Ultraviolet, where I used to work. AOC said that she started working on this legislation the week after those viral Taylor Swift AI generated deep fakes happened on Twitter. So again, for as much as we talk about the harm that deep fakes represent for women, girls, BIPOC people, other marginalized people who, according to the UN and just common sense and life experience, are at a heightened risk for experiencing technology facilitated gender based violence, and given the way that we know technology like AI deep fakes is already disrupting democracy amazingly, there are no federal laws criminalizing it.
Speaker 2: Like every time I think about that, I just think.
Speaker 1: About how wild it is that it's just like kind of allowed, Like some states have taken steps, but federally nothing. And so this legislation, if it goes through, would be the first federal law taking any kind of action against non consensual AI generated deep fakes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that really is crazy.
Speaker 4: I mean I mean, like yeah, like this type of deep fake, you know, is obviously kind of a new thing, but like, I feel like this has kind of been an issue for a while, and you would think at least like there would be some sort of like libel thing.
Speaker 3: You could like put it under somehow. But yeah, I mean, like I've said before, I think swifties can change the world.
Speaker 4: Once again, I'm a little skeptical about this chik Tawk fan going through. I believe in the power of fangirls and like teenagers that just a deep obsession and parasocial relationship with Taylor Swift, amongst many other celebrities.
Speaker 1: Have you ever read that book Everything I Need I get from you How fangirls created the Internet as we know it?
Speaker 3: I am not, but like I should.
Speaker 4: That sounds like that's totally up my alley, Caitlyn Tiffany, Is it changed my whole basically, long story short, You're right that fangirls created the Internet.
Speaker 2: They control the Internet, they control everything.
Speaker 4: Look, I mean, yeah, I got I've spent a lot of my formative years on Tumblr and I do it was this g I was listening to it like another show, and they were talking about that that new movie that is coming out that's like based on Harry Styles.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I just watched the trailer for that a moment ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because it was so funny.
Speaker 4: They were talking about this whole phenomenon of these like fan fiction movies, fan fiction book to book to movie, and I'm like, yeah, no, this has been like a thing like this is I like, the fan fiction writers are like a pillar of the online community and now are making their way into the big screen as well, which is is an interesting phenomenon. But h yeah, I love that. I definitely will check that book out.
Speaker 1: Oh, speaking of the big screen, we have to talk about this lawsuit.
Speaker 2: The most recent like jaded, jilted white guy lawsuit.
Speaker 4: So you do that should be a new segment, like in addition to the thelon now.
Speaker 3: White guy law suit.
Speaker 1: Alert Like yes, er er white guy lawsuit, new new white guy lawsuit just drapped. Okay, we're adding that that's gonna be a new segment.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So since the Supreme Court struck down the race portion of affirmative action, we've been covering all these different legal challenges. We're gonna have our new segment, so keep any it out for that. But all of these different legal challenges have been rolling in from white folks who were like salty, they didn't get something they wanted, and they're being like, oh, it's because a woman or a person of color unfairly took it, and that's racism against me as a white person. And so this newest lawsuit has been filed by a script coordinator on the show Seal Team named Brian Bennecker, who claims that quote, heterosexual white men need extra qualifications to be hired in Hollywood. Historically, yes, historically, you know how it's always been heterosexual white men who can't get a break in any industry, whether it's Hollywood, you know, especially Hollywood.
Speaker 2: It's like historically, historically, you know.
Speaker 1: How, like it was white men who like weren't allowed to be in movies, had to enter through the back interest of nightclubs when they were performing all of that historically, remember how that happened. Oh yeah, so let's let's pause and imagine that this reality where it was straight white men who needed to work like twice as hard to prove themselves and not everybody else in Hollywood. So basically he is being represented by America First Legal, which is the legal initiative of the former Trump White House advisor Stephen Miller. Stephen Miller of all of the like Trump administration. One of my favorite outlets, Wanket always uses the phrase chuckle fucks of all of them, like he's the one that sort of I found the most personally odious. But their thing is basically filing complaints with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission against major companies including Starbucks, McDonald's, Morgan Stanley over their corporate diversity and hiring practices. I believe that CBS is the first entertainment company that they have targeted in this way, so his lawsuit is pretty ridiculous. Basically, he argues that CBS has diversity quotas and that he was promised like a writing job when one opened up on the show, that instead they hired a bunch of unqualified bimbos instead of him, a white man who deserved it. That's basically the gist of the lawsuit. He says that CBS's hiring practices have created a situation where heterosexual white men need extra qualifications, including military experience or previous writing credits, to be hired as staff writers compared to their non white LGBTQ or female peers.
Speaker 6: Extra qualifications as in previous credits, like writing experience, you know, a resume.
Speaker 3: I'm being discriminated against.
Speaker 4: Oh so I am so this Maybe this is just specifically I have a lot of friends that work in film.
Speaker 3: I have a.
Speaker 4: Background working in film, so maybe this is particularly like pissing me off because of that.
Speaker 3: But like go to.
Speaker 4: Any film set, it is so like a historically it is a deeply, deeply massogynistic, deeply raised this industry. And still it is like the majority of the people you're gonna see, they are gonna be why men, Like yes, oh my god, especially in the writer's room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it just sends to me like what he's really saying is like I want a system where being a white, straight male means I get stuff and that is never questioned. Like that's the system that I want, Like that's what That's what I think we should have. And just to be real for a second, like I almost didn't include this story in the roundup, but it's a little bit of a smoke screen because I really wanted to read some of these comments that Deadline published from women writers and writers of color about this, because they are hilarious. They're a plus gold. So Deadline did a roundup of people responding to this lawsuit. Here a couple of my favorites. So a lot of them point out that this person is a script coordinator and he is demanding that he bypassed like script supervisor and be made straight like just I want to go right to the top. I demand to be made a producer. This quote that mansuming CBS is also demanding they make him a producer. If that's not peak whiteness, I don't know what the fuck else is Lomo? Please somebody go find a writing sample of his that's from Kelly Terrell, which I thought was really funny.
Speaker 3: Wait, really quick, I've never heard somebody say Lomo before.
Speaker 2: Oh is it l m ao?
Speaker 5: I just say lbao, but maybe oh, I don't know. It was like, maybe that's a is that a millennial?
Speaker 1: Just wait, I'm realizing I have always said it in my head and I've never said it out loud, And now I'm wondering if that's like not a millennial thing, if it's just a Bridget Todd thing, that's just like how I've always said it.
Speaker 2: Wait, I'm gonna listen to this.
Speaker 1: I mean, I say, wait, here's Okay, So I found an ask a Reddit how do you pronounce lmao?
Speaker 2: Top comment? If you're one of those people who say.
Speaker 1: Lmao or l l out loud rather than laughing that I think it's pronounced, Please disown me.
Speaker 2: So we'll never know. We'll never know, you know what, Keep this in.
Speaker 1: I want this as a digital record of people get back to us.
Speaker 3: Do you say lamo? Do you say l m a O? Is it a?
Speaker 2: Do you say something else?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Do you say something else? God? I but yeah, no.
Speaker 4: I think that's what I'm gonna start telling people for Like, career advice now is if if you want to be if you want to get a producer gig, you just gotta sue a major.
Speaker 2: Just sue them and demand it.
Speaker 3: My heart.
Speaker 2: Uh yes, I hope you're listening.
Speaker 3: That truly? Yeah, that is that is That is peak whiteness. Uh as a as a white person.
Speaker 1: This is my favorite from Miles Warden that Seal Team lawsuit reads like a series of mad libs, which is ironic because he's mad at libs. Oh chuckling to myself about that one earlier today, it.
Speaker 3: Is seal teab Like, I've never heard of this show.
Speaker 2: I've never heard of it.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's the kind of show that like somebody's dad probably watches, Like it's like I think it's about like it's got David Bryannis.
Speaker 4: It seems like it has a very very dedicated like fandom on tumbler somewhere, and then everybody else who watches it, yeah, is like somebody's dad.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, I'm sure this reminds me of like there are so many shows when I'm flipping channels, and part part of it is because I just came back from visiting my parents and like they're watching stuff I've never even heard of, Like we live in such different like television watching silos. I guess like my dad has gotten really into this show about a bodyguard. I think it might as be called Bodyguard and it's all about a guy who's a bodyguard. And it's like part of me is like are these real shows? Like where are you getting these are real?
Speaker 4: There's just like an endless list of I feel like there also is like that's what I would saying. I remember like I had a friend telling me about a show that was very very similar to this, but I yeah, I feel like there's just like an endless like list of like military, police, firefighter, whatever.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it is sort of like one of those things where when did we decide that the main show, the main occupations for television shows is gonna be firefighter police maybe like doctor, nurse, like military person.
Speaker 3: There's too many police shows. Oh my god, they're way, way too many police shows.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you.
Speaker 1: Come spend a weekend at the Todds House in Richmond, Virginia, and you will, like it's all they watch, like the shield, that this, that, the blue line like It's like, I had no idea.
Speaker 2: My parents were so into this, into this like law enforcement universe. I had no ideas. Was like new information to me.
Speaker 1: So as hilarious as all of these these comments on this lawsuit are, there were two that I wanted to highlight that really made me think. One is from Britney Van Horn, who says, deeply embarrassing on the script coordinator's part, But everyone who uses diversity as a quote easy excuse for not hiring or promoting people are complicit here too. Diversity is way too often used as an excuse for not hiring or promoting someone you had no intention to hire. And that really rings true to me that you know, this person who issuing CBS was a script coordinator for like fifteen years, right, Like I can understand being annoyed at never being promoted after like fifteen years, never getting to be a producer. But and like if you're someone who was a manager of this person, being like, oh, well, they want a diverse writer's room, that's why you didn't get hired.
Speaker 2: I could totally see people saying.
Speaker 1: That as just an easy way to avoid having to have a conversation that's like, actually, your work isn't cutting it, you can't hack it. We're not gonna promote you for whatever reason. We're not interested in, you know, you having a bigger role in what we're doing here. Like I do think Britney's point is really interesting. And this one from Friend of the Show Ish Danny Fernandez. She used to have a podcast on iHeart. I don't know if she does anymore, but I friend in my head, I don't know if I don't know, she's never been on the show, But Danny call us, we love you, Danny tweeted. UCLA releases a diversity report every single year. Anyone can google it. White men are the majority of writers in Hollywood. They make up the majority of writers room. This is not an opinion. This is a fact. You lose jobs to each other, to other white people, and that I think is so key because Danny is right. The numbers, as you said, Joey, are super clear. That it is not white men who are underrepresented in the entertainment industry is just not It's just a fact. And so you cannot sue your way into a career. Nobody is owed a career in entertainment. And you know who knows this better than anyone. The black people and queer people and trans people and women and other people of color who are underrepresented in the field. The people who drop out after ten years because they're like, yeah, I'm never gonna move up. I have hit this ceiling of as high as I can go and so I'm leaving. That happens time and time again. And so being told that it is people of color and other marginalized people who dominate the industry, not only is it just like laughable, but it just like flies in the face of the cold hard facts.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And I mean, I don't know what the deal is with this case, but like I'm willing to guess that most of the writers in the writer's room are probably also white men. And yeah, it is like there's so many different issues here. It is super super hard to work in the entertainment industry. It's super hard to work in the film industry.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I know that firsthand. I know that through friends experiences. I think this sort of phenomenon and again, yeah, like a lot of these these companies and these production houses that have a stake in or that it kind of and again, like to go to that point about like diversity being an easy kind of excuse quote unquote. The issue isn't the the you know, the people that are being hired for quote unquote diversity, if that is actually happening oftentimes it's not.
Speaker 3: The problem is.
Speaker 4: These studios that are like, look, I don't have to have yeah, again, like I don't even really have to be doing the work of trying to hire more people from diverse backgrounds or people that aren't just white men.
Speaker 3: I can just say that diversity is the.
Speaker 4: Issue, and then I get out of here without really like having to deal with all of the bigger issues with like Hollywood and how it operates and but yeah, it's it's yeah, nobody's owed a career these same people, like yeah, it is like again it's coming from these same people that are oftentimes very like pull yourself up by your bootstraps kind of thing.
Speaker 3: And it's like, yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: This is the dark side of all of this, is that a lot of times it doesn't really work out. And yeah, yeah again again, all of this to say, you go to the actual reality and the actual numbers, like white cispen are still the dominant force in Hollywood, like that that's a fact.
Speaker 1: Yes, As I was reading about this kind of to your point, do you remember how there was a time when folks like this would say things like facts don't care about your feelings unless that feeling is I would like a job please.
Speaker 2: I feel like I have been overlooked.
Speaker 3: Actually, facts don't care about your feelings.
Speaker 6: Like I'm saying it right, it's the same like all of these idiots Ben Shapiro and whatnot, the people that are like they're all failed screenwriters.
Speaker 4: Like it's these people that want to blame their personal failings on quote unquote diversity and like marginalized people. And then they turn around and they're like actually, you guys are the ones doing that. You're the ones being snowflakes and being like your feelings and not playing attention to facts.
Speaker 3: It's it's so weird.
Speaker 4: It's such a like victim complex that I don't know, Like I don't know what kind of how removed from reality slash just completely in your own head narcissists you have to be to kind of view the world that way.
Speaker 2: But here we are, here, we are. Well, good luck on your lawsuit. Yeah, I will say that when I found out.
Speaker 1: That Ben Shapiro got his start as a screenwriter and it didn't work out, so much click into place for me.
Speaker 4: It was like, oh, he's just mad that people didn't like his stuff. Like so many of these people are just mad that people don't think they're funny or interesting or what. Elon Musk didn't try to be a screenwrinner, but so much screenwriter, but so much of his like thing is just that he is. He is so mad that people don't find him funny. I all of Yeah, I don't know. There, I think we just need to full on like like no more white men making entertainment period for like a couple of years.
Speaker 3: Like actually, obviously think we should do that.
Speaker 4: I know that's what they think is going on already, but I think we actually need to do that, like we need to reset.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, imagine if it really happened, like you want to. You want to talk about like this guy being a cry baby. Now, imagine if what he what he is laying out is happening.
Speaker 2: Imagine if that happened for real.
Speaker 1: Just just just marinate on that for a moment, Listeners, the.
Speaker 4: Most insufferable man you know has lost his hobby, and you know.
Speaker 3: I have had to deal with a lot of men in film. It is terrible.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. We need to do a whole like.
Speaker 3: Just dish out all I want to.
Speaker 2: I want to.
Speaker 1: I want to hear it. You can, we can anonymize it, but I want to hear it. I'm sure I can only imagine for sure. So the last thing I want to do before we end is folks may know someone that we had on the show, one of our earliest guests. I think it was maybe the first interview I did for There Are No Girls on the Internet with Shafika Hudson, the creator of the hashtag and movement Your slip is showing passed away, and we did an episode where put her episode back on the feed and I shared some of my thoughts and I just wanted to say I've really been wrestling with her death and the loss of her and what it means for the internet and social media. It feels like the end of a period, like thinking about it, and it was like, oh yeah, back when Shafika was, you know, doing her thing on the internet, it was a time when I was really active online and it felt really fun and exciting, and it was just really not just mourning her, but also mourning that the death of that time online. And I got reached out to by Penelope Green, who is a writer at The New York Times who was doing an obituary on Shaffika Hudson. And Penelope was great. We had many conversations about Chaffika's life and her work, and she said that the reason she was getting in touch with me was because somebody, I think a listener of this podcast reached out through I guess the New York Times has like an obituary request form where you can flag people that have recently passed that you think the New York Times should write an obituary on, which led to Penelope Green contacting me, which led to the obituary. So we'll put a link to the obituary in the show notes. I believe it will be in print in the New York Times. If you are the person who reached out to Penelope Green on behalf of Shaffika Hudson to get her obituary in the New York Times, I just want to say thank you. You're probably not listening to this, but it really meant a lot to me, and it really meant a lot of people who knew Shaffiica and work with Shafka and Shafika, to whom Shabika touched their.
Speaker 2: Lives in some way.
Speaker 1: And you know, one of my disappointments is that I don't feel like Shaffika's loss was mourned by the tech community and the disinformation community as I think it deserves to be mourned.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: Taking part in this series of interviews with Penelope Green from New York Times was really personally cathartic for me and gave me a lot of closure on that. And I think it's really important that Shaffika Hudson's name and legacy is memorialized in this way. So all of that is to say, if you are that person, it really meant a lot to me.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Penelope Green for reaching out to me and other people who knew and work with Shafeica, and for writing such a comprehensive and beautiful tribute to somebody who I just thought was fucking great and is no longer here.
Speaker 2: And folks can.
Speaker 1: Read the obituary in the show notes, or you can pick up a paper. I think it might be being published today. It's Thursday now, but Friday when you hear this. So yeah, I have a lot of people to thank for what ended up being a moment of personal disappointment that I get to now sort of process with something that feels good. So thank you, and thank you Joey for for being here and for listening.
Speaker 3: Oh my god. Of course happy to be here. And yeah, totally echo what you said.
Speaker 4: You know, the work that Shafika did is just so foundational to a lot of the stuff that we cover on here, and I think, you know, it's really it's really important to uplift those stories and to see you know, the New York Times spotlighting this. So yeah, absolutely echo with that. But yeah, of course always happy to be talk about the chaos of the world.
Speaker 1: Uh with you same and thanks to all of you for listening. I will see you on the Internet. If you're looking for ways to support the show, check out our merch store at tangody dot com slash store. Got a story about an interesting thing in tech, or just want to say hi, You can read us at Hello at tangodi dot com. You can also find transcripts for today's episode at tenggody dot com. There Are No Girls on the Internet was created by me bridgetpod. It's a production of iHeartRadio and Unbossed Creative edited by Joey pat Jonathan Strickland as our executive producer. Tari Harrison is our producer and sound engineer. Michael Almato is our contributing producer. I'm your host, Bridget Todd.
Speaker 2: If you want to help us grow, grate and review us on Apple Podcasts.
Speaker 1: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, check out the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.