Speaker 1: Oh morning. Today's episode contains spoilers for Pull.
Speaker 2: Rootose Girl, Will those Kill? Let Me Girl? Wore Those Killers? Cool with We're Girl? We We're Girl.
Speaker 3: Oh Hello, it was Jason Catepsio and I'm Rosy night.
Speaker 1: And welcome back to ext vision of the podcast. We have DVD baby Jews, movies, comics and pop culture coming even my our podcast. We're bringing three episodes. We listen news on Saturday.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Okay. In today's episode, like.
Speaker 4: Can I just say this is there's a crazy way to wake up in the morning, guys, because we have to wake up in the morning, watch this at nine am, and then record this episode so it would be ready for you on time. And I gotta tell you what are the craziest ways to wake up is to watch this?
Speaker 2: So I tell you about.
Speaker 5: The forty eight minute Punish your special by who apparently a right top. He wrote the bear used the ostler a couple of times in that special. Luckily that doesn't make it in here, but that will be some things you never thought you would see on a Disney production in Punisher one lost kill, So we're gonna recap it super quickly.
Speaker 4: Then we can have some general thoughts, because this is a crazy project.
Speaker 1: Crazy okay, So here's the general thoughts. The punisher is going through a mental health crisis in his basement, really not cutting, he's self cutting. He's he's he's hallucinating his family. Meanwhile, outside, there is a general mental health crisis going on in the streets of New York due to reasons that are left unclear, but are probably because of the failing and non existent mental health social safety net in the city and around the country.
Speaker 4: Let's think about toime, like, is this similar time to Dad Evil?
Speaker 2: Is this pre Dad Levil? I'm glad you was Wilson Fisk the mayor?
Speaker 1: Is it? Timeline positioning is directly follows born Against season one when he was imprisoned by Wilson Fisk. So this is about the trauma of him being in the cage, the Wilson Fisk cage. He's been out and now he's all these emotions are coming up. So there's a lot of uh unhoused individuals experiencing mental health crisis is in the streets.
Speaker 4: It's absolutely Have you seen BoA's Afraid the Ariaskta movie. It begins the same way, essentially exactly as this, it's like a Fox News nightmare. AI cup of what people think are very much like the city is in hell.
Speaker 2: You know, is so crazy to yeah, you have to stop so with all.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, so it's like, you know, there's unhoused individuals coming into local coffee jobs and having mental health episodes, and at the same time there are white nationalist gangs running around killing announced individuals pets and attacking them in the streets.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so I would say as well, we actually have a lot of people who use the website.
Speaker 2: Does the dog.
Speaker 4: Die A dog dies with them doty seconds of their And you can probably go from there on where the tone is so wanting that your person who's into that.
Speaker 1: Frank Castle is disassociating. When he goes out into the streets, he's not reacting to the violence and the chaos. He just wants his coffee and his Danish and he wants to go home, and then he wants to go to the graveyard and he wants to cry at the grave of his family. He goes and is there.
Speaker 2: He has two kids. You know, I have to say sorry, I thought and he had one bot he really.
Speaker 1: Only cares about the daughter, baby girl.
Speaker 2: I have to say, like I.
Speaker 4: Am, I'm having a terrible realization here, and I'm sure many are the millennial women will have it, but like John benthal is like the exact kind of guy that you should never ever sleep with, right like.
Speaker 2: From our era.
Speaker 4: The music in this Karen, I wish you would fucking listen because like the music choices or anything.
Speaker 2: This show opens with.
Speaker 4: John Berenthal, sweaty, like Jim maxing himself to Danzig singing mother, it's like the worst guy.
Speaker 2: At the rock club.
Speaker 4: That's John Berenthal, I've realized for watching this women.
Speaker 1: And so the punisher is at the graveyard. He's kind of he's hallucinating is his family. He's seeing in graphic detail how they were murdered by the mob, and he's very sad. He he leaves the graveyard and he encounters Judas Light my mother and who's the boss and who Nucci here? She's in a wheelchair and she tells, Frank, you killed all my husband and my son and all my family.
Speaker 2: And I just want to say, you killed by one son who was a pedophile. But I was cool with him being a pedophile.
Speaker 1: Like he was a pedophile. But it wasn't true.
Speaker 4: It was a true. Yeah, they're definitely trying to lean into that goth and it's like tone here. We even get a beginning. There's a very there's a line at the beginning graphic set. Yeah, and they say, Nucci the nut cheese are you know? The nu chiese gorillas are gone? And that's because then the crazy goth and his stuff, Punished has to fight his way through like a zoo and this polar bas and gorillas and all kinds of crazy stuff. We get this nod to how fucked up the nut cheese are here? With that mentioned about.
Speaker 2: Car Loost before.
Speaker 4: By the way, Punish just stamped through this teenage boy's head.
Speaker 2: That's how we see that he killed him later on when they reveal it, like it's insane.
Speaker 1: So so the Punisher killed Manu's entire family, and she's mad and she says, guess what, Frank, She accosts him in the street, so guess what I'm coming for you. I'm sending my forces after you. Why didn't she just kill him right there? And why did she let him know? Why did she give him the heads up?
Speaker 4: She happens Barry, who could obviously just snap him in half like a twig up.
Speaker 1: Walk up behind him and just shoot him in the head.
Speaker 4: Tell sad story, then shoot him and then why. I'll tell you why. Jay said she went to Blockbuster, she got that two for one special, she got the Raid, she got Judge dread and she the two thousand dreaded very much and she said, Hey, I've got an idea.
Speaker 2: This is a cool idea.
Speaker 4: Well, if you had to kill a bunch of people in a tower block, never been done before, John Burnhor, I know you were watching The Raid. I also know you were definitely watching John Wick because there's just this kind of like my Nucci enlists like this gangs of massed killers who apparently just live in New York.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 4: I was saying in the group chat like they're gonna show this to our real life president and be like this is why you can't be nice to Zoren, Like this is how people.
Speaker 2: Think it is to live in a city if you don't live there.
Speaker 4: I honestly think this is a crazy show to release right now, Like, are you slowing my mind?
Speaker 1: No, it actually makes a lot of logical sense. It does, it does right now, which is why this is it's crazy that we live in this world. But okay, so uh, John burns All goes home and he experiences an even deeper, more intense mental health crisis, and with Karen, who is either there or not there. It's unclear at first if she was really there.
Speaker 4: They want to make they make it seem. I think like this is at least based on a memory.
Speaker 1: That he had with Yes, some kind of connection with Camp.
Speaker 4: Was there at some point, maybe she has visited him. Are so how many fucking basements does this guy?
Speaker 1: So she brings him back to the light.
Speaker 4: She's basically like, bro, if you stay alive and protect your city, I'm gonna fuck you. And he's like, are you really here? And she's like, I'm always here? Definitely, they already funk. I mean one thing, I will say the one thing that was worthwhile.
Speaker 2: This scene was actually like.
Speaker 4: The only worthwhile thing out of this special for me. Like Karen, they have such good chemistry. I love it to see that moment of I mean, John Benthal is a great actor, Like I just think like, let him stay acting. And also ironic for a man who hates naps that this special could literally just be called The Punisher needs a nap, Like literally say you know what to do if you're having hallucinations, just have a nap, Like that's the first thing, first place to start.
Speaker 2: Just go back to sleep. This man is not sleeping.
Speaker 4: We'll be back to talk more Punisher, one last kill, God help us.
Speaker 6: After the break. We're back.
Speaker 2: Maybe we're back.
Speaker 1: So Karen hallucinated. Karen basically gives Frank a pep talk and Frank snaps to it to the to the sounds of Hate Breeds Rise to My Feet, which is the favorite song of every Huntington Beach nazi.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, like, this.
Speaker 4: Is literally like even if you're a Hate Breed fan, right, and I grew up in London, there was a lot of Hate Breed fans.
Speaker 2: I grew up in the hardcore scene if you didn't know.
Speaker 4: But like, the thing to me about it that's crazy is like this specific.
Speaker 2: Song, I will be heard, this expeci will be I will be heard. This has such connotations to me. And the next like I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: First act of this movie, I actually thought it was really interesting thing and I was kind of involved. I really like the Karen scene from here on out, even though I love action. This they're trying to replicate that garth Ennis like cartoony violence.
Speaker 2: But I just don't know how much.
Speaker 4: Stomach myself or the general public has for a white guy with a shotgun going around the projects killing people. Now, it is a very diverse group of people that he kills. He kills a lot of white people. But there are some moments where I'm just like, what is this? Like, why does this exist? And what is it bringing us?
Speaker 1: I mean, the only way to really engage with this is either it is basically as like a Tom and Jerry.
Speaker 2: You gotta be Looney Tunes, right, That's what I think.
Speaker 1: It does kind of get there, it's at a certain point, although it is extremely graphic. So Karen gets him to his feet, he goes out just as man Nucci's forced to come in, and he goes on a massive, massive killing everybody.
Speaker 2: You gotta start with how he gets out because they're gonna set his door on fire.
Speaker 1: They stirs through like this.
Speaker 2: He's like, wait, I'm gonna wait, and he waits, and then he waits till he's on fire.
Speaker 4: Then he runs through, get saves his neighbour's little kid, and they make sure all his neighbors are people of color, so you feel less bad about when he smashes a black persson's head through a fucking glass thing and drags their throat over it.
Speaker 2: It's a very violent thing.
Speaker 4: The thing that's blowing my mind the most about this Disney went from we will never have anything that's not distinctly child friendly to we are gonna have well. I think is probably the most violent studio release of the year. I don't see any other big studio putting out anything as violent as this on that platform that any kid can access.
Speaker 2: I think that's kind of crazy.
Speaker 4: But yeah, so he goes on this crazy spring he kills people with guns, with knives, I would say too many guns.
Speaker 1: He's kills and is killing the white supremacists as well when they attack the local coffee shop, and there's an absolutely lunatine scene where he stabs a guy like a million and the neck and the guts and then everywhere and his the guy is dead and bleeding out, the skinhead guy on the on the fucking counter of the family coffee shop, and then the little the daughter of the coffee shop owner, who, of course Frank is like making connections with his own deceased daughter.
Speaker 2: And yeah, baby.
Speaker 1: Baby girl hallucinating his daughter all throughout the masker, She's like, I want to give you something. There's a dead man bleeding out five feet away and.
Speaker 4: They killed like they killed.
Speaker 2: He killed like seven people in that including.
Speaker 1: It's like an absolutely blood drenched and they.
Speaker 4: They keep being like, thank you, thank you. I'm like, no, get out, and I remember.
Speaker 1: That goes on and then at the end Frank puts on his new punisher, his new punisher uniform that we will see in Brand New Day.
Speaker 4: He has a crisp, crisp mate shape line. He's got a precision Who is doing Frank? I think where I think the doughnut shop family hooked him up after he saved them.
Speaker 2: I gotta know, is he going to Luke? So I don't know.
Speaker 4: I hate to see it because honestly, I think this is a very irresponsible piece of media.
Speaker 2: But you're looking fine us out and you know what the worst thing is. The worst thing is they end this fucking ship. Yeah it is a white supremacist. So I do want to say I'm proud of this in a general.
Speaker 4: Sense, but like the end of this episode is the old Man.
Speaker 2: Loved this guy, the old homeless dude whose hat was stolen.
Speaker 1: He sees Bubbs from Bubbs from the wire.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we basically get a full SoCal moment here, whether it begins with him having his dog murdered and then it ends with him getting a.
Speaker 1: No, no sorry the other man. You have the homeless man, who's.
Speaker 4: The homeless man at the beginning, but not Bubbs from the wire, who's the coffee shop excuse me? So then we end in a situation where the coffee shop, I mean, where the homeless guy gets his hat back from the white supremacist Frank gets it back with me.
Speaker 1: Frank is a supremacist guy.
Speaker 2: And then but then the homeless guy says, don't do it. No, he doesn't. Incorrect. The homeless guy says he well.
Speaker 1: No, first no, no, no, first no, because first Frank is like, you know what, I'm a different guy now I talk to Karen in the hallucination and I'm not just like straight up killing people willy nilly. I'm gonna let this white supremacist go. And so he's gonna let him go.
Speaker 2: He's gonna let you go.
Speaker 1: But then the guy, then, the homeless guy, says he took more from me than the just the.
Speaker 4: Hat and then and then Frank is like, okay, bitch, so I'm gonna throw a knife and this guy's back in the middle of the street, and then he just shoots this guy in the head extra judicial killing. Shoots this guy in the head, and then it goes to the Punisher logo.
Speaker 1: One thing I liked about that was the homeless guy didn't even say.
Speaker 2: What it was.
Speaker 1: No, it was literally like, well he took more from me from that than that, and the Punishers was like, Okay.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: I like the idea that he's basically gonna be like taking this guy's word for it.
Speaker 2: I like the neighborhood neighborhood attack dog.
Speaker 6: I like that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, this is an insane piece of television, and I actually really is. It feels completely crazy to release this right now, especially I feel like, oh man, I don't.
Speaker 2: Even know if I'm gonna survive the discourse from this one.
Speaker 4: But anyway, let's start our own discourse after this break.
Speaker 1: Let's say, yeah, let's take a break and we'll be river and we're back. Okay, Well, a couple of things before we really dive in. First of all, you were right this this, I guess episode of or one shot. What are we gonna call this?
Speaker 2: I think not calling them like mob a special presentation.
Speaker 4: But this.
Speaker 1: Right was directed by Ronaldo Marcus Green and written by John Berenthal and Green, And here are John's statements about it. First of all, the official log line is as Frank Castle searches for meaning beyond revenge, an unexpected force pulls him back into the fight, which I guess is Karen No.
Speaker 4: I think the unexpected force is Manucci Ah, like a kid.
Speaker 2: I don't know, unclear.
Speaker 4: I think they didn't know how to write Frank Castle kills one hundred and fifty people an explicit way.
Speaker 1: So John was really, first of all, here's the way to understand this one shot, the only way to get it made with John Berenthal, And clearly they want to do it with John Berenthal. And he's invested in the character, but only if he gets to explore the psychological trauma side. So he could do the John Berenthal gruns, I'd like cut himself. And so John has stated in various interviews that he quote he wants. He wanted to quote a visceral, psychologically complex on forgiving no holds barred version of Frank where he's going to turn his back to the audience and nothing is easy and all violence has a cost, and we're going to see.
Speaker 2: The costs cost.
Speaker 1: The cost is Frank's own mental health. And so I think what they wanted to do was create this, create a picture of Frank Castle as a severely mentally unwell, extremely emotionally tortured individual who can only express his pain by killing.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's my thing. I don't And the thing is, look, I'm not gonna lie. Twenty five year old Rosie maybe maybe would have found a way to just totally love this because it is extremely violent, it is extravagant, it's crazy, it's cartoonish. But I just I don't think it adds anything. Like Iam was saying this in our chatley, What does it tell us about Frank Castle other than now he's more willing than ever to just kill someone on the street. I guess I think is it setting him up to be like a truly scary punisher, so then we can see how much his relationship with Spider Man impacts him when he becomes more of a street friendly hero.
Speaker 2: I'm just very interested.
Speaker 4: This does not feel like how you set up what could be the biggest kids movie of the year.
Speaker 1: I think, for I think you're looking at this all wrong. Of course, what they're what they're what it's telling us is less about Frank and more about Disney. That Disney is saying, now is the time to fully embrace the way the Punisher has always been depicted in the comics. This is how, this is the Punisher, This is the comics punishment you.
Speaker 2: Need about it.
Speaker 4: This is him, this is what it is a conversation now, I will say that me personally, my Punisher has always kind of been more of the or you know, Jim Lee Punisher War Journal.
Speaker 1: Like the more calculating when he was working with micro chip, you know what I mean, My jor my favorite punishes when he is saving all those babies and he's like juggling them all the you know, just like a more more like a more just as ruthless, just as violent, but less like emotionally tortured. But like I guess this is I'm going to say, it's not necessarily not in.
Speaker 4: The I'm no, but I want to say the fans I have to say, I think John Bernhall might be surprised a lot of the men and the male fanboy, the Wednesday warrior type who they I think they think.
Speaker 2: They're making this for.
Speaker 4: They were all like, oh my God, please give us a non tortured punisher, like that's all we've gotten in the MCU.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't disagree. I'm curious because I think, again, I think this is less about telling you something about the Punisher and more about Marvel Disney sagree saying we are going to embrace what the Punisher has always been. We're going to do a comic accurate punisher because of reasons in the culture and the wider culture in society. We think this is the time people will accept it.
Speaker 4: Not just that at what you can argue it's a really easy thing to argue plausible deniability about because you can go, well, the punisher isn't a cop, and the punisher is actually a vigilante, so maybe there's something radical and subversive there. But at the same time we know they also know that they're going to be appealing to the market, like using that I will be Heard song, like they also use Levillon Rose, which is really funny, like classic, slow down classical.
Speaker 2: When he's coming.
Speaker 4: Through the door, but like when you see him like killing people and like shooting people to now is the time I was just like, guys, like, I feel like you made this to end up on the worst parts of the internet.
Speaker 2: Like and I'm not. I don't believe it. Censorship, make whatever you want, but I just I don't know why this is the story right now.
Speaker 1: Like I mean, like I think that they're thinking, let's embrace the full well spectrum punish variety of Marvel comics, of Marvel Comics fans, the ones, even the ones who like are deluded kind of a little bit about the Punisher, but like, let's be let's be real about it. The Punisher is always He's always been a revenge fantasy. He's always been the one that you you Him and Wolverine kind of have always been the characters that you engage with because they will kill the bad guy, like they won't just put him in jail to be recycled out into the streets. And so I think that there is a certain fan that will be like finally or at least that's what Disney's.
Speaker 4: That's what Disney's count I'm interested to see it because I will say, living in America, even just for a decade has totally changed my perception of the punisher because I was always like a pro punisher, Like I love those comics. It's very death wish, but with a bit more like cool vibes a little bit less obviously like racist and reactionary. But in England, after a really tragic mass shooting when I was a kid in Scotland called Dunblane, the personal gun use was banned, so I didn't grow up with.
Speaker 1: The threat of old we don't do that. We don't do that.
Speaker 2: I obviously we know that doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: We've made the policy decision that we love guns.
Speaker 2: We love guns more than kids, you know, so.
Speaker 1: We do we very much so, and that we will allow things to happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's not to say, you know, England is obviously the heart of darkness when it comes to colonialism and evil things.
Speaker 2: So England is not perfect.
Speaker 4: But in that way, since I've moved here ten years, in watching this cas, I just feel like it's very fucking heavy to watch this in America and to see it as like a fictionalized thing when there is right now this even when Garth Ennis made his really crazy out there Punisher stuff right, which at the time was even quite offensive and out there.
Speaker 2: It was in the in the context of.
Speaker 4: The time when things were looking forward and things were like hopefully moving forward and shit, it was almost you could read it as like a satire. I think the problem is now there are people even though this does I think lean into that Paul Viehoven almost satire, I think unfortunately, it's like forty nine percent on that side, fifty one percent leaning to the side of like.
Speaker 2: He just shot a guy in the head in the street. Here's the Punisher logo.
Speaker 4: It's cool, you know, and we don't get any of Frank's antico mentality here that was really kept for Dar Devil though. There also isn't really any cops in this, which was an interesting choice. But yeah, I just find this to be such an intriguing piece, Like I feel like this is going to be something that drops and who knows, maybe people won't care about it, maybe people will love it. But I feel like in ten years people are going to be talking about this how they talked about The Dark Night ten years after that had come out, and we were kind of looking at it as a reaction to like nine to eleven. I'm really interested because I do feel like this is a surprising route that they went because also something we didn't like tap into a lot because we were doing our quick recount that I loved in the first act. This is actually like the most we've gotten to kind of see him dealing with what we would understand as real PTSD, like he's dealing with it from the war and speaking to his I thought that opening stuff was so powerful, and he really wanted to get help and find that happiness or at least find a piece, you know, a silence something. And and I think it's kind of a dangerous line to draw between showing the most impact of his time as a veteran, his time in prison, his time, and then drawing the line to like, yeah, now he's back at killing again and he's doing a good lone wolf shooting with that trauma like it just I think, maybe again, I'm getting older, I'm thirty seven.
Speaker 2: I don't like watching even like sore.
Speaker 1: Mean, I tell you where I am, tell me I'm I almost wonder. There are three hundred million guns in this country, so obviously this is a you know, like guns are a policy choice. Gun violence is a policy choice the present danger. But I almost wonder if we don't need more mean that political here's the truly like like revolutionary political version of the punisher, a black or brown punisher.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would talk about this all the time. Who's allowed to use guns in the same way a white man is? Yeah, And I.
Speaker 1: Think maybe the way to get rid of guns, or to get people to like really be serious because like, let's face it, it's not going to it's not happening, does not have any Maybe the way to get people really really concerned about it is for uh, you know, black and brown communities to like buy a lot of guns legally walk around with them.
Speaker 4: Did you know that that happened in America in the s of.
Speaker 1: Course I know that. That's why Ronald Reagan enacted the first gun laws in because the black panthers. Yes, And that's kind of what I'm saying. Maybe maybe the way, maybe the way that to actually get it is to amplify, is to accelerate. I'm not saying that that I'm right, by the way, I'm not saying I'm right about that. That's I'm just thinking, like maybe maybe the part of the problem with guns is that one side has so completed to many. No is just like the idea of gun and whiteness has is so strongly linked gun whiteness justice, like, yeah, man goes on a shooting, it's not criminal. It may be criminal in the eyes of the law, but it's right, it's righteous.
Speaker 4: Well, even think about this, even the way there's been a lot of talk recently because there was recently another one of these tragic murders, the way murder suicides are reported on where it says, oh, this couple was the victim of a murder suicide, and it's like, no, the man got a gun and killed his wife.
Speaker 2: You know, the way that whiteness has.
Speaker 4: Talked about when men commit crimes like that with guns.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm into this. This is very interesting.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of people I know recently who've begne whose idea of like how do we stay peaceful?
Speaker 2: And a lot of it is becoming more about that idea of like we just give people like.
Speaker 1: You know, how do you why don't you get it's to have a nuke?
Speaker 2: So sorry, we're in that situation right now.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I'm I'm thinking buying gun but maybe and I'm very anti gun but maybe maybe the way to get people to actually respect gun laws is if they feel like the wrong people have guns now, because clearly what the thing is right now is there's a feeling that the right people have guns, or at least enough of them. So if their feeling is changes that like, oh no, now the people that we don't like have a lot of guns, maybe then you get gun laws. Because I certainly don't think shaming people because of the deaths of twenty or thirty or forty children at school is like ever going to change.
Speaker 2: It's not lacking.
Speaker 1: And I think with regards to the punisher as a lens, I don't think that anybody's going to be I think that this is a very American thing. I Also, here's my other feeling. I don't truly believe that the character of a nation or a country or a people changes that much over time. Certainly not over two hundred and something years. That are two hundred and fifty years in Americasmen, When you think about like what America with the symbols of America are, it's like the cowboy marching west killing the Indians with the six shooter on his hip, and we're still there and we will always be that for or at least for the foresea old future. We're gonna be that. And so maybe the only way to change it is if, like the Indians have a lot more guns. And again, I don't know I think that's an answer to anything. I don't know that's an answer, But I just feel like one side feels like they got a lot of guns and they like it and they don't want them taken away. And that's that's.
Speaker 4: Probably as special as I feel like they think Frank is the right guy to have them, and I feel like.
Speaker 2: This is well they do continue that.
Speaker 1: Again, I think that that is the I think that's I think that's always been the calculus of Frank, is that like, we're too soft on crime, we're too soft on these people. And usually it's been like, you know, like white adjacent Italian American body others, and and only a only a white guy with a lot of guns, who is who has served his country as a marine and who has faced the personal trauma of losing people as a result of crime, can truly understand what needs to be done. And even if he is extremely mentally unwell to the point of being suicidal, still he must be given guns in order to accomplish this, and that is always that.
Speaker 4: That's what they did with Rambow too, right from the first movie to the franchise, Like it's a very American.
Speaker 2: The Fast movie is incredible.
Speaker 1: But your first the first one is actually very very interesting in a very subversive film.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm saying, but I think when Jerry Conway created The Punisher, he was trying to deal with the idea of PTSD, the idea of.
Speaker 2: How you're coming with the war coming home and stuff like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was in a crazy trapping, but that was there, but it has become now I think like that to you know, the Rambo in twenty sixteen or whatever. This is like the Rambo in twenty sixteen, where I think a lot of the interest and subversiveness has been kind of.
Speaker 2: Shaded off.
Speaker 1: To go further, I think, you know, if you look at Bernhal's podcast, Real Ones, which I have dabbled in occasionally. I have occasionally and when I occasionally want to listen to somebody, it is a lot. There's a lot of actors on there, but there's also like Marine Survives Ied Blast and you know, various Special Forces people. Yeah, and you know, folks who have really experienced violence up up close, Navy seals. And I think that, you know, Primo Pauly's fight for redemption when he talks about like being so And I do think that, as you said, kind of the most interesting thing about Berenthal and This is its willingness to dive into these really dark, like mental health spaces. And I think Bernhal is clearly interested in that, and that's what he's tried to bring to the screen. And I personally, am am don't. I think that it's comical and almost like shockingly grizzly the kind of ideological A to B two C connection he has made. It's also like very much an area clearly of interest to him, which is how does a man, how does a man deal with the most deal with trauma and violence to their person? And I think he's got a very particular view of it, which is and lash out and kill. Now. I think this is a very different I think society reacts very differently if yes, this is a black man or a brown man who is who has experienced you know, white supremacist trauma or trauma at war and decides to then go off and kill five hundred white people.
Speaker 4: And also, let's be real, I mean, this guy wants the government. It would be different if this person we see. You know, it's absolutely crazy to be citing like a fucking Seth MacFarland meme.
Speaker 2: But you know it's the terrorist color chart, right, It's like you're a lone war for you're a terrorist.
Speaker 4: If a brown person kills one person, the first acknowledgment and assumption is that they are a terrorist.
Speaker 2: This man is.
Speaker 4: Killing like five hundred people in New York just in the street. Also, yes, it's not the New York we've ever seen in any other part of the MCU.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm intrigued, and I agree with you.
Speaker 4: John Buntall is like an intriguing person to me because I think that's a very interesting invested thing to do.
Speaker 2: My dad, My dad is a veteran.
Speaker 4: He was not on me very young, like it fucked his shit up really so like I appreciate that, but I just I was so interested in that first twenty minutes where I was like, Okay, he's trying to deal with this shit, Like what do you do when you've done the thing that was supposed to save you? When you've gotten vengeance, Like when you're trying to heal, what do you do after that? And the answer is just kill five hundred more people with a cooler gun and get a haircut, And you know what, that's kind of.
Speaker 2: Relaiable in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 4: Actually, so maybe I'm wrong, but I just worry it's gonna be relaable to the wrong people. This is crazy to me that this is going to be on Disney Plus next to like Princess movies. I just yes, I think, guys, I know that things have changed, basically, I think since Born Again the Devil. Born Again was when they bought all the Netflix stuff the first season. But it is hard to put into words how strict Disney used to be. There was once a attraction at Disney called Alien Encounter, and it was seen as one of the scariest attractions ever made. It was all about sensory feelings and the idea of an alien breathing in face. They had to take it away because it ruined the family friendly branding that Disney had. They wouldn't make movies that were too scary. That's why all their villains are iconic. It is insane to have a movie that in my opinion, is more violent than something like The Raid. Because the other thing I do want to say about this, and while I again I love action, I love action cinema. I'm sure a ton of rad people worked on this. There is so much shooting and guns.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 4: This is not the Raid where they're doing scilla and you're learning about a new martial art. You're seeing someone at the peak of their strength. This is a guy with twenty five different guns and like an axe, like cutting people's throats, which also is fun to watch.
Speaker 2: But it's not the Raid level.
Speaker 4: It's not even it's not even Dread level, like that had something exciting and visceral to bring.
Speaker 2: I think this is a fun, crazy Looney.
Speaker 4: Tunes type situation, but it also feels like the craziest thing in the world for a corporation to drop in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: It's like the Anti Boys, That's what it feels like.
Speaker 1: I agree. I think it's for a niche audience, which is the thing that makes it very interesting. You know, well it's.
Speaker 4: Apply well, well, well let's see how this goes, babe.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I think I think they will be very I think that there will be no ab muted to no response. I don't think people are gonna be out.
Speaker 2: I feel like I feel like it's gonna be either.
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna people saying, Oh, it's kind of good and dark and shocking, and then a couple of people being like, why did it get made.
Speaker 1: There's gonna be people who are like, I'm disgusted by this, and that's gonna be the reason that people watch it.
Speaker 2: I don't think that shit that's true.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's gonna matter that. I don't honestly don't think it's gonna matter.
Speaker 2: I mean, does anything matter anymore? Like what nothing mass anymore? But at least I accidentally matched during cute pink outfits. You guys can't see it coming.
Speaker 1: On Extra Vision, we're getting ready for the Mandlar and Grogu with everything you need to know before seeing the movie. That's it for this episode. Thanks' listening, bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 4: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean, Jonathan.
Speaker 1: And Fay wag Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 4: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator,