Speaker 1: You have a new background, Sabrina, where are you right now?
Speaker 2: I'm at my parents' house. I discovered not too long ago that there was a scheduled outage in our neighborhood. We've had some utilities working guys out for gosh a couple of months now, and the power went out and I got on my little chat with my neighbors and they're.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, it's been scheduled for a while.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh cool, No, okay, I go find somewhere to go podcast because it's not here.
Speaker 1: How well you live close to your folks though, right?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, they live probably about i'd say, like twenty twenty five minutes away, so not too bad.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: I love it there. It makes it easy, especially with the kiddos.
Speaker 1: If I need help, yeah, I can imagine.
Speaker 2: Or there's there's fires here not two long couple weeks ago, and so they were gonna come to our house that they got evacuated.
Speaker 3: So it's nice to be close with them. I really love it. It's what pulled me back from La back to Orange Counties.
Speaker 1: Even La Orange County, I'm a six hour flight to get home, and you got to take two and then you gotta yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean LA to Orange County. It could be forty five minutes or it could be two and a half hours. You just don't know. And so I was excited to get back to Orange County, just be closer to my parents. They're getting older, you know, scared, get.
Speaker 3: Nervous about friend Kat.
Speaker 2: Make sure they're all right.
Speaker 1: I understand. Well, I mean, being that close to your family is truly magical.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: Oh did you see what I just did? How I just transitioned into our film. That was a transition. First of all, welcome back to Magical rewind the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses were smart. The Waves tsunamis in the high School's musical.
Speaker 3: I'm Wilfordlle and I'm Sabrina Bryan, and.
Speaker 1: You're gonna understand my dare, I say, brilliant transition. Hi, thank you, I'm gunning.
Speaker 3: I think you dare.
Speaker 1: I think I dare. It's where Eagles dare. So pack your bags and leave your wands at home, because we're going on vacation, even if you don't want to. It's two thousand and nine Wizards of Waverly Place the movie. This is the decom installment of one of Disney Channel's most successful TV shows of all time, of course, Wizards of Waverley Place, which ran for one hundred and six episodes or four seasons from two thousand and seven to twenty twelve, So this film doesn't fall into the formula of yesteryear, where a show would finish a three season run and then tie it with a bow with a movie. People actually don't know where this movie exactly fits in chronological order, but fans suspect it took place in August two thousand and nine when it comes to canon. So this movie really was just a result of the show being so popular and seeing a long form story available for ratings, and Wow, ratings did it bring. I should start by saying I have never seen Wizards of Waverley Place episode.
Speaker 2: I have to admit I have not either, and after this movie, I'm asking myself why. I agree freaking loved it and I want to know more about these characters. I loved the relationships they each had. Gosh, the chemistry was amazing. Sorry, I'm going I'm getting out of myself.
Speaker 1: Get ahead, but that's fine. I was gonna say, I think I did myself a bit of a disservice because, as we'll get into at least the very beginning, because I hadn't didn't know the characters where they dropped, especially the Selena Gomez character where they drop you right in the middle of it, I was kind of like, oh, she's unpleasant and I and luckily it changes. A movie goes on, and I'm guessing that if you watch the show, that is not the case. You you grow with her, so you understand why she's such a horrible human being when you first meet her.
Speaker 3: She's just a full blown teenager. She is she is, but is my first night of wo Monroe.
Speaker 2: Could possibly turn out to be Holy cow. That is a lot of talk back, young Liddy.
Speaker 1: Yes, in the first seventeen or twenty minutes, she's just very unlikable, and I think that's that she's not if you watch the show. My guess is, if you watch the show, you see her ebb and flow, you see the different versions of her U see and you know she just think you're right. She starts full ten as a teenager. Yeah, but man, I'm not going to jump ahead, but I really like it too, But anyway, For those who don't know, the series centers on Alex Russo, a teen girl wizard who lives in Greenwich Village or Greenwich if you don't know how to say it, New York on Yes Waverly Place. She has two brothers, the older sibling, Justin and the baby of the family, Max, and all three of them have magical abilities that have been handed down to them from their father. They're training with their dad now, knowing that one of them will compete to win sole custody of all of the family powers. Most episodes detail young Alex's attempts to hide her abilities at school and amongst friends, creating problems and dilemmas she has to get out of. The show revolves around family, youth, and responsibility, and contained fantasy elements which you know, I am absolutely here for. And how popular? How was this TV show? You might be asking. Well, like most Disney Juggernauts, it became a franchise, a two time Emmy winner, enjoyed consistently high ratings stroughut its entire run, and the series finale was the most watched final episode in the history of the channel. Wow.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: The merchandise, of course, was prevalent, as Disney tends to do, and it would introduce the world to a young Selena Gomez, who would go on to become one of the most successful modern day actresses and producers working. Also, this isn't the only Waverley placed d com, which led me to call producers last night saying, am I watching the right one? Hopefully we get to the second one at some point two. And also, now the show, as I'm sure everybody has heard at this point, is returning to the Disney Channel a reboot produced by Gomez entitled Wizards Beyond Waverley Place, Little Batman Beyond Not I want to think with some it's not, but I just like making about me with some familiar faces. It's a new story banking on the nostalgia from the original. This movie, though, debuted on August twenty eight, two, two thousand and nine, and received eleven point four million viewers yikes, making it the second most viewed d com ever, just behind High School Musical two. It was also the Disney Channels number one scripted telecast of all of two thousand and nine, and won the Emmy for Outstanding Children's programming. That is a rarity for a d com. This was a juger. Not like we said, the movie was filmed primarily in San Juan, Puerto Rico, because again, you're not gonna make Vancouver or Toronto or Utah. It looked like the Caribbean where they want to get it.
Speaker 3: Jui, but they would not succeed.
Speaker 1: Would we would have seen this one, we would have we would have seen this one coming. So yes, it was filmed in San Juan, Porto Rico. And as the plot, which we'll get into, mirrored almost exactly what we saw in the Even Stevens movie, and a few stage shots were filmed in Toronto, so Toronto does get a little bit of a nod. There were two fun facts here. While in the set, Selena noticed a stray dog on one of the locations and the crew began feeding him. They named him Caz, and eventually Selena ended up bringing him home with her. Wow, talk about straight up, Annie, Like, you are a homeless dog on the streets and now you're Selena Gomez's dog. How is that not a Disney Channel show right there?
Speaker 2: Well, and that's a pretty big I bet you that's got to be a pretty big process to bring a dog from Puerto Rico up to where she lives.
Speaker 1: That had to be in quite the amazing But that's right. But the journeys for that layer up and second, nearby in Puerto Rico, Johnny Depp was shooting a movie called The Run Diary, and when Johnny heard that The Wizard's movie was shooting nearby, he visited the set with his kids, who were huge fans of the show. How cool is that You're there doing your d com and Johnny Depp shows up?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Really, really cool. The movie also did have a big Disney soundtrack. I know it was very that's what I call music nineties kind of soundtrack, but I really liked this soundtrack that included three Selena Gomez songs and a ton of cover songs from Disney stars like Mitch Musto performing The Police's Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic and Alian Aj recording Loving Spoonfuls Do You Believe In Magic? It did crack the Billboard top two hundred and ended up selling over one hundred thousand copies. Now this seems like a no brainer, but The Wizards of Waverley Place movie is available to stream right now on Disney Plus, you can watch it before you hear us or listen to us first. It's not a race. It's not even a marathon because frankly, at the end of the day, no one's running. We're all just sitting here. So you do you okay, Sabrina, we just talked about this. You hadn't seen the show, right, I hadn't.
Speaker 2: But of course you know Selena was on a on my yellow team of Disney Channel games.
Speaker 1: Is that one of the reasons that you didn't watch the show because you were convinced she was one of the reasons you lost all the time.
Speaker 3: I forgot she was on my team. That's but so anyway, I was Alena, very, very very aware of the show. I was it was huge.
Speaker 2: This was right during you know, the time of the Chance and you know they I knew this was a big show that the kids loved, but I still had not seen it at all, nor had I seen this movie. So I was really excited because I did. I had big, big hopes for it, thinking.
Speaker 1: Was she nice with Selena Gomez? Nice in person?
Speaker 3: She's so sweet, she really is.
Speaker 1: She made the characters are jarring at me, like she's a really good actress because I hate you.
Speaker 3: You know, she's a sweet, sweet, sweet girl.
Speaker 2: And anytime I've ran into her since then, when I did Dance with the Stars, years later she came, She's performed on it, you know, anytime getting a chance to hang out with her.
Speaker 3: She's very very nice.
Speaker 1: I've heard her.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, and I mean her makeup line. I mean, this girl has no ends. She's she's definitely business.
Speaker 3: Absolutely and loves to give back.
Speaker 2: You know, She's got lots of lots of different companies that also give back, and she's just wonderful.
Speaker 3: I can't say enough of it.
Speaker 1: And again this is I have to say because my wife loves Murders in the Building, which she's also on. I've seen it. This is the first thing I've ever seen Selena Gomez on Wow. So I had and it just showed me how talented she was, because I've I'd heard from so many different sources that she's a wonderful person, easy to work with, very friendly, like you said, very giving. And so to go right into the character knowing nothing about it, being like, man, I'm glad I don't have kids was really interesting. But before you run off to find the stone, of Dreams. Let's get into the synopsis. While on vacation, teen wizard Alex Russo accidentally casts a spell that erases her family's existence, forcing her and her brothers to test their bond and reverse it. We gave early thoughts. We both liked it, right, I really liked it.
Speaker 3: I did too.
Speaker 1: I think me too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: By the end of it, I felt like, all right, I think I'm ready for my Harry Potter epic. Like binge watching, I feel like I'm there now, I'm into magic.
Speaker 3: I like magic now.
Speaker 1: No, there's I don't know what to do with that, Sabrina. I don't know what because there's very few people.
Speaker 2: From what little scenes I've seen of Harry Potter, you had the wands and they're in that big area that they like do games.
Speaker 1: At I understand. But what I'm saying is there's very few people in the world. I'm guessing very few people in the world that have said, Okay, I watched the Wizards of Waverley Place movie, I'm now ready for Harry Potter. I like. I don't think that's ever been uttered in the world.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna have to disagree with you.
Speaker 1: Harry Potter's wonderful Wizard story.
Speaker 3: Now I'm ready for it.
Speaker 1: Now, well, we're gonna do a We're gonna do seven episodes of you watching all the Harry Potter movies, because damn girl, they are great. But it's not they go by so quick anyway. We're not gonna get into that right now. We both loved it. The Wizard's Movie is directed by lev L. Spiro, who, like a few other directors we've highlighted, started his career in the B movies world with amazing titles like A Manual, A World of Desire, and Justine's Seduction of Innocence yikes. Eventually, Spiro would transition to kids TV with The Jersey Cousin Skeeter and The dcom Minute Men, which we liked. Weirdly, it does not look like he ever directed The Wizards Place TV show, but his resume is vast with shows like Modern Family, Jonas, Weed's Arrested Development and The OC and The Movie Stars. As we were talking about before, Selena Gomez as Alex Russo. Selena got a start on Barney only to become one of the most quintessential Disney pop stars ever with a very successful music and TV career throughout the company, leading to crossovers with Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers, and her adult career, of course, would flourish even more, starting with Harmony Krin's image shattering spring Breakers and including a voice in the Hotel Transylvania movies and now a starring role alongside Steve Martin Martin short, as we just talked about in Only Murders in the Building, which is another juggernaut, And like I said, she is executive producer now of the Waverley reboot for Disney, which is so cool that they're letting people come back and have a hand in the projects that they help make so popular. David Henry plays the older brother Justin. David started his career all over TV on shows like Judging, Amy Method, and Red and That's So Raven, which landed him in the Disney atmosphere, and right onto this show he was also phenomenal. He would star also play the son on over sixty episodes of How I Met Your Mother. He also played young Ronald Reagan in a recent movie Reagan, which is happily named. Jake T. Austin is the youngest brother Max. Jake's first job was on Blues Clues. I love that We've got Barney and Blues Clues, playing Steve's friend for a few episodes, but he entered the d com stratosphere in two thousand and seven in Johnny Kappahala Back on the Board, which we still have to watch can't wait. He is also the voice of Diego on Dora the Explorer and was one of the stars of the Network TV show The Fosters, which I also believe Ryder Strong's wife Alex was on Nice David Delowize is the Dad Jerry. He's the son of legendary actor Dom Delowize and has appeared on shows like EO and Bones. Then you got the Mom Teresa. She's played by Maria Kanalis Barrera, whose voice you may recognize yes as Hawk Girl in the animated series Justice League. She and I used to work together all the time. She's amazing or from another dcom favorite, Camp Rock. Jennifer Stone is Harper, Alex's weird best friend. And of course you got Steve Valentine. He plays Archie the Magician and in real life Steve is a magician, so great casting there. He is a character actor with tons of credits. He was great tons of credits, especially in kids entertainment. You might recognize him from Teen Beach Movie or Avalon High, or as Dracula in the Monster High movies, or as ponytail Man in the film Trojan War, starring a young Wilfredell. Like I told you, I want to make it all about me. This movie is ninety eight minutes long, which is too long. Long off our target by eight minutes. It didn't feel too long, but just for us, it's too long. And it's written, of course by the Wizards of Waverley Place creator Todd J. Greenwald, well, mostly because there are his characters and his creation, but as Decom favorite Dan Berenson shares the script credit, so this might be one of those times he came in and did a bunch of stuff. We've mentioned Dan many times, as he's also the writer Stuck in the Suburbs, Halloween Town High, The Cheeah Girls, One World, and Teen Beach two, and that is just to name a few rock star Decom writer. Yeah, I'm saying, all right, so let's cast a spell right into the Wizards of Waverly Place movie. Cast a spell for us, Sabrina, but make it a Harry Potter spell. Okay, we're gonna sew work on that the Harry Potter stuff. Since we're opening, I'll say helloha, mora. There we go. That's a Harry Potter opening spell. Anyway. We open on the Waverley Place Street sign just outside the Waverley Substation, a subway station turned into a sub shop. Brilliant, We get a cool zoom in. Just as Alex Russo snoops through her brother Justin's bag and cannot believe what she's seeing, And just as she reaches in, she is suddenly sucked into the bag. She flails left and right and then is even up inside the bag. It goes down to her waist, knocking things around the diner. Now during the struggle, her parents, Jerry and Teresa come down and they only see Alex's two legs attached to the bag. Justin and their younger brother Max joined the party. Max wants to keep it like it's a bet, and Justin admits he puts a spell on the bag because he knew his sister would snoop. After some pressure from their parents, Justin recites the spell to undo the bag. Magic was used to protect the bag. Reverse the spell reverse I'm sorry to say against it makes me laugh. Magic was used to protect the bag. Reverse the spell release the Hag seems like a mean spell, but a perfect older brother's bell. Yes, the bag removes itself from Alex, and she reveals she's found her brother was hiding the family wand and book of Forbidden spells. She thinks he took it out of their dad's layer without permission, but it's revealed that they're dad actually gave it to Justin, and Alex feels very very betrayed. Now, this is where having some backstory of who the characters were would have been very helpful, because there's things that we learned that as we went on. I started to pick up. But I'm sure people instantly knew. Yes, you know, the brother and sister are essentially competing to which one's going to become a wizard, and it's a whole family thing, and so this.
Speaker 2: Is stuff still a little taxing at first trying to put the pieces together. Versus when we saw even Stevens movie, it was so easy to go, oh, boom boom, boom boom, these are the characters.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 2: It wasn't as hard. This was kind of going oh okay, oh okay, all right, you know this is this kid, this is the responsible one. Yeah, the younger one's just funny, you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And in all fairness, it's difficult when you come back to my nerdom. It is difficult, difficult to do when you have a magical system in place, because you've got to know, they obviously had rules set up that we didn't know anything about. But I imagine that shows Oh they're not my rules, they're magic's rules, my friend. But I imagine we'll have a lot of people saying, like, oh, if you watch the show, they laid all this out, They laid out all the rules for.
Speaker 3: The show because you knew what I was. You figured it out. It was easy peasy.
Speaker 2: From then on air, Like it just took a minute, and it was kind of you know, and that's hard to do. It's hard to sit down and start really kind of letting yourself enjoy the movie because you are letting your brain kind of go in overdrive trying to put pieces together.
Speaker 1: Three hundred percent. You had to like try to catch up. But that was on us, not on them. Yes, Jerry tells Alex she can use the spell book and family wand. One day when she passes her exams, it takes a certain level of responsibility to handle. She argues she is responsible and can be trusted. She looks for some back up here from a little brother, Max, who is now engulfed in the bag himself. Mom Teresa doesn't care about the WAND, but she knows Alex is on thin ice. And this is where again first intro to the character didn't know anything about it. She's talking back to everybody, making fun of everybody. I was like, Wow, you're horribly unlikable at the beginning, but then I really I imagine if you watch the show, this was kind of the fun character and its twenty minutes in. I loved her and wanted to be funular if we were the same age. Justin demands the wand and spell book back from Alex, but she secretly does the old switcheroo. She's holding the real spell book behind her back. The kids are warned finish packing tonight because they are leaving on a vacation soon. Alex's best for this was also a little confusing. I didn't understand what was going on, but it starts to make sense. So they were going on vacation, but they weren't going to bring Alex with them. She asked to stay home, and they were going to let her stay home.
Speaker 2: She was going to stay first with her friend Harper.
Speaker 1: Right, So that's perfect timing because her best friend, Harper arrives all dressed up like Madonna was a flapper, just as I did. Neither, and I never noticed clothes, but even I was like huh. Just as Jerry and Teresa are leaving, Teresa realizes they're going to a party that Alex is not allowed to go to, and this is where we learned that they're letting Alex stay home. So this is where I was like, Okay, now starting to make a little bit more sense. Instead of going on the vacation, which is a big deal, they were giving her an opportunity to kind of stand on her own two feet. She then tries to go around her mom and ask her dad about the party, but Jerry says no walking, flying, teleporting, or popping out of the building while they're gone. Once they leave, Alex assures Harper they're still going to the party and they won't have to leave the apartment. This is where I thought about you, because you and I are exactly the same way. We're both rule followers, right. So the second she's like I'm doing what I want. I've been given this one opportunity and I'm gonna blow that opportunity because I would have to go to this part, I was like, not a rule follower.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I will sell you. There's like high school girls that have come across within my team that I'll hear, like, you know, just funny stories from their moms, and they their moms have to explain all the things that they cannot do because they will find that loophole. And You're like, how I wouldn't even think I'm that was way out of my range. I wouldn't have even thought of a loophole of any sort like this.
Speaker 1: So you hear you can't go me too. When you just heard you can't go, that means you can't go, not like I have to find another way to go. So I felt the same way as like, I'm so anxious that this mean girl is pulling one over on her parents. Strange anyway, but boom. We instantly then cut to the diner subway cart, now enchanted and driving at full speed through the New York subway system. Very cool. Loved this great way.
Speaker 2: That they're a little shaky just here and there, but for the most part, I feel like they did a great.
Speaker 3: Job with the subway situation.
Speaker 1: I agree, and it's very magical. Again, very Harry Potter, but this is not Harry Potter, but it kind of is. Harper says that this is a very bad idea and they almost hit another train just as a very casual Alex realizes she has the map upside down and they're going the wrong way. She tries another spell from the Forbidden spell Book and the subway takes a sudden stop and then starts going backwards. A ton of chaos until the girls see an end sign and Alex quickly grabs her wand and gets them out of there. It does it's like she's just like randomly shaking you back and forth.
Speaker 3: By Harry Potters.
Speaker 1: That is that pretty much not saying anything and just doing this back and forth shaky weird are they do you think the episodes of the show are this insane? Because they do? It says that the movie has over three hundred and fifty special effects for a dcom.
Speaker 3: Which is crazy. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: There was like ninety I think, or eighty. I mean, I'll be off a little bit. In Jurassic Park. Oh wow, I mean it was something that the CGI was this, there's way more here.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I would assume, like how we've seen so many things with the channel.
Speaker 3: Is it probably started out not so.
Speaker 2: Many and then groove to where by the time this dcom and then I'm sure the second D cooms even crazier.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I just feel like it probably grew with the love for the show growing and the amount of viewers and.
Speaker 1: All, and then yeah, I went from there in your show does well, Yeah, that makes sense. Do you think they're good decom effects or do you think these are bad?
Speaker 2: I think they go in and out. I think towards the end, when we're fully doing green screen, it was a little like, man, everything else has looks so good up until year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I get what they were doing. But yeah, yeah, threw me a bit. Yeah, I agree. Suddenly they're back in this safe diner, only to find out that it was Justin who actually saved them, not Alex. Justin said he's not going to tell their parents and ruin their vacation. One night before it happens. He also reveals that this was the first time he used his full powered wizard wand and it worked perfectly. And then just then the train basically falls apart, just as their parents return home, and Harper scoots off. The next day, we're in Alex's room, and we learned she's now going on the vacation. You had your chance, kiddo, and you blew it, so now you're coming with us. She's being forced to be in full family mode for two straights. As a result, She's determined to win the Wizard competition to be a full time wizard. Harper asked, well, what if you fall in love with the mortal and have to give up your powers like your dad did. Just then, Teresa enters the room. She says it was romantic and offers Alex help packing. Alex brushes her off because she's, of course, got a ton of attitude because it's her mother's fault that she broke the rules. I'll get there with her, and it happens right around the corner. But at the beginning, I'm like, now you have an attitude because you broke the rules. Come up, right, I'm not even a parent. I couldn't imagine. Alex brushes her off, Harper dashes off, which seems to do quite a bit. She's like, I'm leaving and takes off, and Alex finishes packing with a flick of her wrist. A few seconds later, she turns it messy again because her mom, Teresa, has deemed this vacation magic free. And meanwhile, all the kids are being forced to hand over their wands, even though Justin says they're going to the Caribbean, which is one of the most magical places on Earth. But the next morning, the time has come they're leaving for a vacation. They're staying at the resort where their parents met. The kids are all trying to fit all they can into their luggage. We also see includes you know, secret spell books for Alex, matching embarrassing tropical outfits for the family. This made me think of just one question. Have you done it? Have you done?
Speaker 3: Are you crazy?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: I have a own a cricket, and I also am a frequent shopper on Etsy getting all things matching. I used to when I didn't have children. My dog had to wear matching outfits and shurances and stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course.
Speaker 1: It's in your wheelhouse, your magical wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: I love matching things, whether it's with friends or family or what I think, it's always fun. That's one of the only reasons why I really really like Halloween is getting family outfits together.
Speaker 1: Now, well we dress the same for our photo shoot. You and I were in matching outfits.
Speaker 2: There you go, Yes, and that or may not have been my idea, just kidding. I'm not going to take that one, but yeah, of course, I mean the ones I originally purchased were like the big fluffy like.
Speaker 3: With the hoods, and Tara got more of a suitable she did it Workedriate.
Speaker 1: It's never appropriate pajamas. There's no such thing. This is though, anyway, where we hear the meat cute tale of the Russo's, which apparently lasts for the entire flight to the Caribbean. Once they arrive at the hotel, Alex meets Javier Acute Activities counselor and immediately starts to feel better about the trip. We get some stunning establishing shots of the Caribbean. It almost feels like a tourism package, which again must have been Puerto Rico. Which have you been to Puerto Rico? Yes. That.
Speaker 2: On the cruises that I did within the Caribbean, Puerto Rico was usually our first stop. Yeah, amazing, so many incredible, amazing things. You can just get out and walk anywhere and you come across some really cool things to look at that are very historical. There's always lots of stories behind it. It's it's really awesome.
Speaker 3: I loved you.
Speaker 1: That sounds great. I've never been and I really like to go.
Speaker 3: And the food is rid oculous.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Oh yeah, love to try it. So immediately though, we get a family activities montage with Magic Carpet Ride playing from Disney Records band KSM. Remember KSM? Mm hmmm, I remember.
Speaker 3: I can't put up their face to it, but I know the KSM.
Speaker 1: I remember KSM because friend of boy Meets World writer Boyman's World, Jeff Sherman wrote a script about an all girl band that Rider and I did a readthrough for, and the all girl band he cast was KSM.
Speaker 2: This is this is probably, if I'm not wrong, that at least what I put in my spring seas the first like big song that kind of takes over it obviously because it's the montage, and I was like oh yeah, here we are back at.
Speaker 3: An awesome Disney soundtrack.
Speaker 2: Sounds like they're going to do it, and I immediately what Selena is gonna be on like several of these songs, and made super stoked about it.
Speaker 1: Didn't the movie open with love and spoonful do a little magic whatever. We're right off the bat and open with something where it like sucked me and I was like, oh, okay, they're using real music, which I thought is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but the montage is when you really like, oh yeah, you kick it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I love it. Now we see the Russo's ocean rock climbing, which looked really cool sightseeing and revealing that Alex and Justin have brought wands to the paradise after all. Oh sneaky, sneaky. Now out in town, the kids see a nearby street magician, Archie, who is unsuccessfully playing pick a card with a parrot Giselle. Max decides to have a little fun and volunteers showing off some subtle magic powers during a balloon trick, loading the wannabe magician into the sky and making him look very impressive. Even those parents are furious about the display. The magician wants to know more about this kid and overhears at they're wizards. He jumps in and reveals he was also a wizard, but he lost the family competition to their older brother. This is where I realize, like, oh, I get the family competition thing. But so if you lose, you get nothing. Yeah, you're like you're mortal again, right, Like you get that's it. One person gets to be a wizard. Which if you're pitching that show, that's intense where it's like the brother there's a you know, a healthy competition because the other two members of the family are killed, it's like, oh my god, you know crazy though.
Speaker 3: It's why would you ever join? Why would you ever want to do this competition?
Speaker 1: And I'm guessing they explain that in the show this is the things were the magical system that we missed. I'm guessing they say, like you.
Speaker 2: Have to compete because I wondered about it the whole time.
Speaker 3: Why would we want to do this?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 3: Why not just now of us are going to lose our powers completely?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seemed it seemed harsh, but we'll have to go back and watch the show to figure out exactly what that is. Ye send all your emails to Sabrina and the parrot, it turns out, was also a wizard. She's actually a beautiful woman that apparently this archie magician is in love with. The Russo's try to avoid the desperate panhandler, but he offers up his wizarding sight seeing services, even mentioning and I want to say this right, La Piedra delos suenos. Did I say that right to me? Well, I'm hoping because you might have some Spanish background that you could tell me if I said it right.
Speaker 3: That is not the case.
Speaker 2: Well, sorry, I think I said AKA the Stone of Dreams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you mispronounced stone La Piedra delos senos. I think is the way you're supposed to say it, which, as Sabrina just said, is the Stone of dreams. Justin immediately knows how hidden that thing is. It is the most important wizard artifact ever. And this is where I started to get real Brady Bunch Tiki Doll vibes a certain certain generation and people know what I'm just talking about. This artifact can literally do anything. The magician claims he has a map to find it, but also it seems like he might be lying, because tons of wizards try to find it every year, and a lot of them we find out end up dead. The magician is desperate. He needs their help and wants to turn the parrot back into a human, but it's too dangerous and the family isn't hearing it. But Archie isn't giving up. Neither is the parrot. We're not back at the hotel. The family is doing what Alex wants to do. Windsurfing lessons with Javier. Have you ever tried windsurfing?
Speaker 3: I have not.
Speaker 2: I have, and after seeing this, that does not look like something that I'd be interested in doing forty years old.
Speaker 1: No, see you you just said your your what was the inappropriate thing? You said your magical whatever, it's right up your magical alley. I will match you with inappropriate and say that I went windsurfing once and had a ton of trouble getting it up. Oh wow, I couldn't get the sale out of the water. It was like heavy when it was sting, and oh, I'll.
Speaker 2: Leave my Sabrita sees of this magical windscurfing thing.
Speaker 3: At that point it was difficult.
Speaker 2: There was something that was so hilarious happening while this going back and forth.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh, I can't wait to see. But it was. It was windsurfing was difficult. Some more back and forth magic between Alex and Justin. While windsurfing, she realizes he has the wand but good news is Javier invites Alex to a party later that night. She asked her mom, and she's quick to shoot her down. He is too old for her and he's probably just buttering her up for more windsurfing lessons. Alex even tries to cast a spell to change her mother's mind, but she just doesn't have enough juice without the wand so still in this cranky, whiny she is every scene. She's unlikable at this point. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: And again, honestly, the pull of kids that age. When you're sixteen years old, I'm sure I feel like you're independent. Yeah, a lot of kids in general get their license at sixteen, but there's still a lot of rules and a lot of things that they're not allowed to do. So they start getting sneaky, and that just is what it ends up being.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a really tough time in life because you're not a kid and you're not an adult exactly.
Speaker 3: So it's your I've seen all of your boundaries, and.
Speaker 1: It comes out sometimes as being mean, which I think she even realized her character even realizes as the movie goes on, Yes, which was the saving grace of the whole thing. Again, I didn't like her character at this point, but I wasn't supposed to do at this point right, And I think it would have been different had I watched her grow up as the character as opposed to this being my first thing. I don't know if the show is. I doubt she's mean every episode of every show.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, to me, she's just whiny and bratty. I don't really see her as being mean.
Speaker 1: I mean, she's a little mean. She's a little mean nor mom and a little like she's a little mean. But I get it. It works, It works. It did not turn me off. It absolutely works. But that night at dinner, Alice confronts Justin about having a wand and to see Justin realizes she has the spell book. She wants to borrow the wand for an agreeing spell so she can do whatever she wants on vacation and to avoid blackmail. He does it, but Teresa figures it out too quickly and Bulus to Alex's mid practicing magic in a room. She says that for the rest of the trip, Alex will be pleasant and she is grounded for two months once they get home. No dating, no parties, no magic. As her mom storms out of the room, Alex aimlessly wishes that her parents never met, and the Wand takes action. Uh oh, what did she just do? We see the book and Wand magically disappear.
Speaker 2: The crazy part is at this point, I am obsessed with these two parents. I think they're much great.
Speaker 3: I mean laying the law down. Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: He's too old for you. You can't see how silly you look with him even trying this. You know you cannot go to a party where you just told me thousands of flyers were getting put out. Yea, that is a rager, by the way, Mommy knows what a rager is, and you will not be going to it. What I mean like, I love these parents, I love them, I love them, I love them.
Speaker 3: Way to not just let them walk all over you.
Speaker 1: Sixteen years in the future. To Monroe say, fourteen kicking years in the future, this is your mom, This is exactly and that they're also the parents are totally in love with each other. They're a little boofy about it. It works. They were great.
Speaker 3: I loved them so much.
Speaker 1: Yes so uh oh wand and book disappear. Alex rushes into her parents' room to find her mom, but Teresa has no clue who Alex is. She thinks she's the hotel concierge and is frankly a little bit rude to her kid and to well to the concierge, Alex finds Justin. He seems like he's pretty normal. He knew their mom busted her. But here comes their dad, who doesn't know them either. They're starting to figure this out. He even uses the guy even uses magic to hit on other women, which is weird because he's married to a muggle and he's not even supposed to have magic anymore. But he's got it. So Alex and Justin break the news to Max that their parents have never met. This a spell has been cast and their parents never met. And at the pool, they realize their dad has the spell book in his back pocket. They need to find a way to reverse that spell pronto. When Max tries to talk to his mom, she actually appears to hate kids, and it kind of you know, it ends up him assaulting her At the end, he's grabbing onto her and all that thing, and then the thing I noticed, which I don't know if you noticed this, but his brother grabs him and pulls him off of the mom and then picks him up, and something goes wrong and he drops.
Speaker 3: Him of the things that I was like, oh that.
Speaker 1: Three times that was an accident.
Speaker 2: You can tell too, because Selina's like shoulder slump, like I bet you she was kind of like, oh my god, are you okay?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: He throws that kid on the concrete like that was whatever?
Speaker 3: But yeah, absolutely, but it looks so good. It looked so much like real life brothers.
Speaker 1: That it did. Kept it. But you go back and look because the two older siblings are looking down like, oh my god, is he okay? And then Max looks up like what the hell is that? I mean, he just throws them down on the ground. That was clearly a mistake, but they kept it in. Yeah. So then Javier runs up and Alex tells Javier that she is too busy to go to the party, and he offers her more lessons at a discount rate, proving right there that her mother was probably right all along, of course she was, she's your mom. Max tries a levitation spell on their dad to try to lift the spell book out, but he quickly notices and summons the kids to him. He turns around with this magical thing and pulls them in and then with this voice that they digitally alter, says no one touches the book. Only then he starts laughing. He got them. He thinks they're just teenage wizard pranksters. He loves pranks. He even once turned his math teacher into a dog in high school. He's kind of just this big goober guy using magic to make his order of nacho's bigger, making the Caribbean drums play by themselves. He was just this funny, wacky like.
Speaker 3: My dad, big kid everywhere, just you know, so fuddy.
Speaker 1: Or how I would be if I had magical powers. First thing I would learn. They'd be like, what do you want to learn the secret of life? And about be like, no, how do I make my nachos bigger? He also reveals he has the titanium wand he's his family's wizard and has a ton of power. They ask him for advice about Alex's spell, but he doesn't know how to reverse it. He just knows they have to do something within forty eight hours to prevent the kids from losing memories and eventually disappearing. And this is where a little bit of back to the Future comes in. They need a miracle, and Justin knows exactly what we'll do the trick. I'm gonna say it again, La Piedro delos Suenos. I think I'm saying that right. That's the stone of dreams. It can reverse any spell Sabrina, what would your first wish be?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: My gosh, oh your only wish? You get one? What would it be? You only get one and you can't wish for more wishes? That's the easy one.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Do you have one? Oh, yeah, you do. What would it be?
Speaker 1: We've already talked about it, bigger nachos. No, I'd want to be if I was a human like just me and I found this thing and I could have one wish, I'd want magic powers. I'd want to become a wizard.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, yeah, I don't know. I don't feel like I'm responsible enough.
Speaker 1: To have Oh I'm not either. It'd be great, so bad. Oh, my brother brought me this great shirt. It said, if I were a Jedi, I would one hundred percent use my powers inappropriately. Yes, absolutely, Well, let me say, yeah, we'll stick with bigger nachos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's a better one.
Speaker 1: That's a better one of us. The next morning, the boys wake Alex up. She's been sleeping on a hammock since they don't have hotel rooms. I don't even want to know where the boys are sleeping, probably inside one of the big drums. Justin decides him and Alex will go find the Stone of Dreams and Max will stay behind and make sure their parents don't fall in love with anybody else. So the older siblings meet up with Archie the magician and his parent for his map, which includes a missing piece that no one else has. Ironically, their dad walks by and he bought a Taurus map to find the act attraction, and they inspire him to try it too. It goes without saying Max is having trouble keeping tabs on everybody. The journey to find the Stone has officially begun, and I love this. I love having a quest. It's always such a fun part of a movie. Here we go, it's Justin, Alex Archie and the annoying parrot who we can't find out what the hell the backstory is and the path to start the trail is only supposed to appear for those with pure intentions. Justin tries first, but strangely is completely unsuccessful. He hands the kind of big totem to Alex and the path opens up right in front of her. Nice little twist of the story. Also, the story of how Giselle, which we were just talking about turning too a parent, is really becoming a mystery, and the Magician is starting to give us some serious bad vibes. But the gang finds a double waterfall that is a sign they're heading in the right direction, even though there's already quicksandpowers struggles between Alex and Justin. Yes, and by quicksand power struggles, I mean he literally walks into quicksand and she's just gonna let him die unless he gives over the map. I'm kind of looking at the screen like, Okay, he's gonna drown and be dead, right, But brothers and Sisters, I would love to have I would have rewritten it where he's just like, all right, let's see what happens, and he just keeps sinking and she literally doesn't do anything until he's like here, and he's like fine, fine, fine, Like yes, she would have in fact let him go. Meanwhile, we cut back to the hotel. Max is trying to set Jerry up with his mom, but he's just not interested. He is into the very hot waitress, so Max turns her into a dog, just like his dad used to do. He eventually convinces Jerry that he's got to go over and at least talk to the woman who turns out to be his mom, and he goes over, and when they do connect, there was a spark, but Jerry isn't interested in being with immortal and giving up his powers. This is going to be harder than he thought. Also, he didn't change the bartender back to a human, He just keeps this poor woman a dog. So now I'm my guess is the sequel is going to be the dog and the parrot team up to kill this family.
Speaker 3: To revenge, to revenge.
Speaker 1: I think so too. We're now back in the jungle, where we learn a little more about Arching his parent, just a little though, if they get the stone first, they realize that if they hold onto the stone first, they can make their wishes, and the kids won't be able to make their wishes, so they will disappear forever, which they say is actually the best possible plan. No one will even know they were there, and the parent will turn back into a human despite being banished as as an animal. She has to be an animal for fifty years. And we still don't know the story. And it's officially bothering me at this point because the entire movie went through and we never learned the story. No, and that anger is.
Speaker 3: That it's just that, it's that she used to be a beautiful woman.
Speaker 1: That's like literally and then and now has to be a parrot for fifty years. And they keep alluding to the story. If you're going to allude to a story, tell the story, tell the story in some way. Yes, exactly, point exactly. Alex and Justin only hit a beautiful river chasm. And this might be arguably the best effect in any dcom we've seen so far, don't you think. I mean it looked this, at least to me, looked pretty great.
Speaker 2: I thought all of since when they go into the jungle, I loved all of that set, all of the magic, all that it thought, Oh, my gosh, b D.
Speaker 3: Coom, this looks amazing.
Speaker 1: Even Stevens again, like you're in the woods, but it's real, you know, like.
Speaker 3: That kind of even Stevens was in the jungle, like.
Speaker 1: The canopies that didn't look good.
Speaker 2: Yet some of it didn't look good. This I thought, oh so good, so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree with you hundred percent. Justin tries to clear the way by building a bridge with magic, but Alex quickly exposes it as not strong enough to hold them. She just flicks a rock and the entire thing collapses. Instead, they use levitation spells to successfully ride a rock across the river. And this is her idea. And this proves that even though she doesn't study as much as her brother and she isn't the favorite to win the family Wizard title, they may be closer in skills than they thought. And this was the starting of cool brother sister dynamic at this bridge crossing where they learn they're kind of jealous of each other and why is this so easy for you? Well, why are you so perfect? Bob? We're starting to really see, even if you don't watch the show, you're starting to really see the dynamic between what's going on between these families. Yes, they also ditch Archie and Giselle wants crossing great idea, which was a bit of a surprise though, because I figured they'd be like, we can't do that, it's their map. But no, they maybe they seem that they know he's a little sketchy, and so they're like, we're bouncing by now back at the hotel where Jerry was doing some yoga and setting up a prank where he'll turn noodles into worms. He really is a giant goober in this universe. But it's night now in the jungle and Justin and Alex have made a campfire. Alex is nervous they won't get the stone and they're gonna end up, of course, disappearing, but Justin's still optimistic and their bond is getting stronger, especially when Justin admits he's hurt that only Alex could open the path earlier. His intentions need to be beyond his own success, so he knows he's got a serious problem with that. I was doing my best not to take the scene to a creepy place because it seemed to be a little daty. After a while, it almost seemed like an intimate dating kind of scene, and it was like, this is almost on the borderline if they don't seem like brother and sister.
Speaker 3: I felt the same.
Speaker 2: I was, because at first I was going, God, their chemistry as a phenomenal sister is so good.
Speaker 3: And then this was well, first of all, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know if this was for everyone out there on Disney Plus, but for me, I was like starting to screw with the settings.
Speaker 3: It was very dark.
Speaker 1: It was dark. Yeah, it was dark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, doing with the settings, trying to brighten it up because it was so dark, but just yeah, it started to get a little.
Speaker 3: Bit more intimate.
Speaker 2: It was a little bit more than what I feel like they would have been as brother and sister. But I know where they were trying to take us as far as I do.
Speaker 1: Too, But it did seem a little daity.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: I agree with you one hundred percent. The next morning, the duo was woken up by crackling leaves. They use magic to stop whatever is making the sound, and they end up easing Archie, who's caught back up with the Russo's because we saw him. He and the parrot decided to climb down the giant ravine.
Speaker 3: Right, so if they could do that by them, why not.
Speaker 1: Just do that?
Speaker 3: Didn't they go by?
Speaker 1: I wasn't going to ask. I wasn't even going to ask. I agree with you one hundred percent, one hundred percent. At the hotel, Max is forgetting things already and rushes up to Jerry. He needs help finding his brother and sister on their journey, and Jerry, after some cajoling, agrees to use his map and come along. But as we know, they don't know where to start. But luckily, Teresa stumbles onto them and thinks she knows where to start because of an artifactur she took earlier in the day. While this seems very convenient, it's fate and magic. Everybody knows that. So now we have another camp on their own mission to get the stone, Jerry, Teresa and Max, and they've already found the opening pathway thanks to Max. There's also a car there, so you can see that they've driven there, and they've fallen into the same traps as the og Crew, except when they hit the chasm. Jerry, who's got the powerful want and is a full Wizard, can just build a He's He's that's the joy of being the full Wizard. Boom, this is what you were supposed to do. Also a great way to show the difference between having the power and not having the power. Absolutely, but Justin Alex and Archie hit a wall on their trip. They need to find a cave, but only see cliffs apparently. By the way, a lot of my favorite comedy was during that, during this part where it's like mountains, they're so far away and she's holding the thing upside down. He turns it and she's like, mountains, we're so close. Like all the kind of that kind of witty comedy that was very fast. She's really good at.
Speaker 2: So cute at so I also got a kick out of. I love physical comedy, and I loved all the banter back and forth. When he gets that leaf right like right, it slaps her in the field.
Speaker 1: It's such a brother's sister thing.
Speaker 2: Every time they hit like, I feel like poor Justin hits mud like a million times.
Speaker 1: Later in the but later in the movie where she just keeps doing, Oh my god, we'll get into that because I that made that literally made me laugh out loud. Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: I just loved that. There was like so much of that stuff.
Speaker 1: In this agreed. It was great. They need to find a cave, but they only seen cliffs. Apparently the quote the person who knows the least will know where the cave is unquote. Well, Archie and Justin argue about what will happen next. Alex finds a young village girl who apparently knows the least and leads the way to the cave. They quickly learn it's enchanted and doesn't allow magic, which, you know, another have to follow the rules because why not just Hey, I need the thing, call it to my hand. Hey I can freeze this person. Hey I can levitate the rocks. They need to cancel your magic when you get in good magical rules. Yes, Alex and Justin leave the magician at the entrance and walk into the unknown. They do have a nice moment, though, another one which again it was kind of a hat on a hat because it was a nice moment after having the night they had before. I would have put this in the romantic quasi romantic scene we had the night before. Yeah, but it was still nice where Alex apologizes for all the trouble she's gotten them into and he apologizes for being too hard on her. At the end of the day, they need each other. Again. I would have combined these into just that one big scene, but it was.
Speaker 3: All that was needed.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was. And then right when we hit twenty five minutes left in the movie, they see the stone. It's surrounded by an obstacle course of sorts, very Legends of the Hidden Temple or Indiana Jones. Justin slowly makes his way over, almost tumbling to his death numerous times, and eventually vaulting the stone into the air and it lands below the platform that they're on. Alex carefully climbs down and retrieves it. I thought she was going to go for a tumble and Justin in turn saves her from death and everything is a okay movie. Over roll crip, Nope, no pear. It flies in and snatches the stone right from Justin's hand. So here's what I came up with, because I thought the same thing, why not just cross the chasm? Why not just fly in and grab the stone? And it's because they couldn't find the opening to that. They couldn't get the path to open for them because they didn't have pure hearts, so they needed them to have somebody open the path for them. Is why I think they didn't do this because why not just have the bird fly and just snag the stone that would have been So that makes sense to me. Ah, okay, got it, got it?
Speaker 3: Okay, Yeah, I did think of that.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking of they seem they didn't seem to like not know anything though, right right, they seem to know that there was gonna be right an untrustworthy path across a big ditch.
Speaker 3: Like, Yeah, they seem to know it.
Speaker 2: So that's why I was kind of thinking, Oh, I guess maybe they did. Maybe they've been there before and haven't been successful or something.
Speaker 1: I think it is just a matter of they couldn't open the path that would be god it. So the parent flies in snatches the stone right from justin sand before he can make a wish. But they don't have time to feel bad because Max and their parents arrive. They finished the journey and what can only be assumed was a world record journey finishing time because it took the everyone else two days, it took them twenty minutes. Yeah, it makes her a very weird reunion, as the parents are still clueless to who they are, but Jerry is starting to put two and two together and he's falling for Teresa, she is feeling the same way. They need to figure this out. Alex admits it was her that she set the spell, and Jerry quickly refers to a spell but book and then says, I can't do anything about it, but it seems like maybe one of the kids can, but he or she needs to be a full wizard. The competition's years away, though they don't have that kind of time. Teresa still thinks they have the wrong woman and gets into her jeep and drives away. She's like, I'm out, might drop don't need this magic in my life. Wand drop boop. But in a very very shocking development, Max suddenly gets sucked into a vortex tornado of time and disappears, so they have to push it. There's no time like the President. Jerry, Alex and Justin grab the wand and begin the sibling battle. Now this is where it does not turn into Harry Potter at all. There's no Harry Potter references. It's not taken from Harry Potter in any way, shape or form. There's not even any similarities. So they are then transported into a magical castle on what is definitely a quidditch field, and this is unfortunately also where the special effects aren't very special. The kids are now in purple jumpsuits and they have to compete using only four elements. They're given wands by their dad and told whoever can get the powerball wins, and it is a powerball, people, not a golden snitch. Thank you very much for asking. They wish each other luck. Ready set magic, Justin starts with a wall of fire. Alex counters with a hose and a water twister. Then just in time, Justin uses a fire laser knocks her down. That use storms a numerous mud puddles, which had me. Every time he trips him one, he's.
Speaker 4: Like, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: She's like, sorry, don't know any spells, which is really really funny. They're even with the cheesy special effects. Both the actors were so good. They're bringing in humor, they're bringing in stuff. It just it worked. This is a barn burner. We leave the action to go back to the hotel where Teresa has returned, and while waiting for a VLA, a red corvette pulls up and she spots a beautiful woman in a colorful dress sasheg it's the only way to put it, sasheg it is, of course the parrot Giselle now a human played by Jenny Alden, who you may recognize from wedding Crashers. She used the stone and is ditching Archie the magician. She's not wearing the stone as a necklace, but she insults this guy horribly and acts in away you wouldn't even expect from a parrot. A defeated Archie asked for just one last hug before she ditches him. During the embrace, Teresa arrives and she isn't having it. She confronts the no good former bird and demands the stone. She doesn't know what's happening, but she knows that seeing Max disappear broke her heart. She's like, no mother would forget her kids, And then when he disappears, she's like, wait, I remember something. This might just be her family after all. She has to do something about it. Giselle then freezes Teresa. She isn't getting anything, but just then Archie reveals his best magic trick yet. He took the stone while he was hugging her, and he uses his wish to wish her back into a bird. We get a pretty good transformation, actually right, and then he hands the stone to Teresa and walks away with the parrot. Oh, they're gonna live happily ever after in their parrot love. Back on the battlefield that definitely has nothing whatsoever to do with Harry Potter because it's not a quidditch field. Quidditch field Justin has resorted to essentially a variation of the Quicksand where he like melts his sister into the ground, who volleys by becoming a blooming flower that grows right next to the stone. She emerges and reaches for it. Justin is getting closer and closer. He lunges one last time, and Alex gets it at the last second. She is now the full time wizard and does a cheap little anime celebration. It did not look good. But here's the thing. Here's where I thought it was a good twist though. I thought they were going to do a typical Disney thing where both the kids grabbed it at the same time and they shared the power.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought he was going to get it.
Speaker 1: Oh did you wrest We're both wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought he was going to get it.
Speaker 2: Like, no kids, if you study, foll all of the rules of study.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, that's not all right.
Speaker 1: Not fair. She breaks all the rules and she wins it.
Speaker 3: She's a butt head in the beginning and she gets all the power.
Speaker 1: Alex needs to help the family, but she needs Justin to help with the spell. But and this is great. He's like, why would I help you? And I was like, oh, he's gonna older brother like be a jerk about it. But the reason is because he's forgotten her. The spell has taken over, time has ticked and this might be the final straw. He needs to remember her. He needs to remember her, and Alex is crying. He is everything she wants to be. She needs him now more than ever. Please don't leave me behind. Justin doesn't know who she is, but he would never leave anyone behind, and he believes her. They embrace as their dad watches on, smiling, but before he can give any advice the time tornado takes him away too. No, Justin's gone as well. Roll credits I'm kidding.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: Now alone with her dad, she is trying spell after spell but nothing is working. She's begging for help, but it's too late. Just then, Teresa shows up, and throws the stone to Alex. Alex now has one wish, but she has to be careful. She wants it so the dad tells her, you can do this in such a way where you keep your powers, and she says no, She wants everything to be exactly the way it was, even if that means she won't be the family wizard. She closes her eyes and boom, we are back right before Alex made her parents never meet. She is so relieved, hugging her mom and so happy that she is grounded. Justin and Max are just happy, but confused that she gave up her powers. She explained she wanted nothing to change and one day they'll battle for real, and even Max will be ready. The family embraces enjoy and here comes that little himbo Javier. He wants to hang out with Alex, but she shoes him away. She wants some family time. We pull away on a beautiful shot of the Caribbean and the parent flies by, pooping on Teresa and there you go, and then we get the always popular gag reel over the credits a dcom staple, and we hear Selena's cover of I Believe It's Magic, and there is your movie.
Speaker 4: Yes, good movie.
Speaker 3: Good movie, good, yes movie?
Speaker 1: I agree? But did everybody like it? Let's find out because we're gonna do some real reviews, and I think this week I get the joy of the one star review. Yes, and this is from somebody named Cooper. Interesting review and altogether horrible. Apparently heartwarming film where some moronic kids break rules and cry about how stupid they are. Even in the story, he seems too idiotic to even be a real character. This movie has a cliche save the world and family in a deadline plot. Horrible acting, and I'm being generous here.
Speaker 3: Wow, could not disagree more?
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree with you, disagree with you, Cooper, disagree with you, Cooper. What do you got for five star? Sabrina?
Speaker 2: I have a five star from Terry H. I love it when Selena Gomez goes woosh and the other guy goes boosh.
Speaker 3: This movie tasted like rainbows.
Speaker 1: Ooh, that is somebody who saw this movie on a very strong hit of a We are, now, of course, approaching Sabrina's favorite portion the podcast. Every week she loves it. That is an ugh of awesomeness for her, by the way, because she's having so much fun doing this. Our feature this week is called street Smarts. We all know the show's title after well known real street in New York, Waverley Place, and many a Selena Gomez fan has visited to take a picture with one of the street signs. Now, we've been given by we, I mean the two of us there, uh Sabrina have been given five street names made famous in film. We have to decide if it's a real street that's being referenced or fake street. Obviously, millions of street names exist, but we're deciding if the street written about in the film is based on reality or not. Out of five wins Number one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because you guys could be real jerks about this one. Just for the record, Like, streets exist, we know, are they being referenced in the movie. It's all the matters, Okay.
Speaker 1: I just want to make sure we have that right, because so far, I would say all five of them are real.
Speaker 4: I'm sure road exists.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying, you know, or in the actual movie.
Speaker 1: Number one Elm Street from Nightmare on Elm Street. Yes, I think it's real because he took he took a lot of stuff from real life. Because Freddy Krueger was the name of his bully, so that he named them. So I'm going to say that's real.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're off to a bad start. It's fake.
Speaker 5: Well it's in the movie, Weirdo. What I'm saying is what I'm saying is the street that's depicted in the movie does not exist like Waverley Place. The subway is supposed to be in the real Waverley Place in Elm Street. There is no street like that in real life.
Speaker 3: In real life, gosh, I would there was.
Speaker 1: I would think this was a record.
Speaker 5: I called you a weirdo, but I also would have thought it was real.
Speaker 2: Listen where we've developed our wonderful relationship, and then I take no offense at this point I would be I would be just a on the.
Speaker 3: Ground if I did anymore.
Speaker 1: It just goes the other way. Gentry number two. Okay, this one's weird. This is Cherry Tree Lane from Mary Poppins. Now I know Cherry Tree Lane was built on stage two of Disney where we actually shot Boy meets Whirl. Okay, but I don't know if it's based on a real thing. I'm gonna say no. Do you think you're gonna say yes?
Speaker 2: Aren't you yeah, because well, I mean, I know, when you watched one of the most recent Mary Poppins, there's like that.
Speaker 3: It's in that movie for sure.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so then maybe.
Speaker 2: I think she lives or is it the writer lived?
Speaker 1: I think pl Travers, Yeah, I think. All right, then I'm gonna go. I'm gonna I'm gonna go.
Speaker 3: With Sabrina Trees outside of.
Speaker 1: The All right, I'm gonna go with Sabrina and say that it's real.
Speaker 4: Then, terrible decision. It is definitely fake.
Speaker 3: Damn it.
Speaker 1: I was right, go with your own instincts for.
Speaker 4: Film.
Speaker 1: I even knew where they built it.
Speaker 4: I know. Yeah, she convinced me.
Speaker 3: Well, it still could be a thing.
Speaker 2: I swear if you watched the movie with It's where it's of her death with.
Speaker 1: Emily, Oh no, you're thinking of of Yeah, I know the one you're talking about with Tom Hanks. Yes, yeah, where he plays Walt Disney. Yes, yeah, I can't remember the name of what that was called, but yes, that was it?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 1: Anyway, number with Steria Lane from Desperate Housewives, one of these has to be real.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, with Steria Lane was it was.
Speaker 1: On Universal Studios, Saving mister Banks by the way, was the name of them. No, it was built on Universal Studios with so Steria Lane. But now I don't know if it's a real place or not. Yeah, I'm going with my instinct, though I'm saying no.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna say no. I don't trust anything.
Speaker 5: If you saw it on the Universal Studios tramp tour, it is not a real street.
Speaker 4: Yes, I was right, Okay, good, okay.
Speaker 1: Yes. Number four, I know this one Baker Street from Sherlock Holmes. I just passed Baker Street in London. I was just there. It's a real place.
Speaker 3: Oh wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then I'll go with Will because I'm never right Will.
Speaker 5: It's finally starting to listen to things exactly.
Speaker 1: I had Cherry Tree Lane, I would have just won. It's Number five is Lombard Street in Vertigo.
Speaker 3: That seems like a real street.
Speaker 1: It is a real street. Lombard Street in San Francis Goes is a real place. It's the most crooked street in the world.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I've been down that can you can you drive it or only take alley or no, you can drive?
Speaker 1: You can drive and drive it?
Speaker 4: Yeah from the full House credits.
Speaker 2: Yes, Oh, okay, okay, well, those guys, you let them let it convinced.
Speaker 4: Two out of five.
Speaker 1: I got no, we got three loser.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really living it up them getting better and better, except.
Speaker 3: For I'm not at all.
Speaker 1: Can we do some sabrina ceas please?
Speaker 3: Yes we can.
Speaker 2: The biggest thing that I saw, and listen, I cannot really pound on it too much because if you watch one or three of the Cheetah Girls movies, I'm right up there. But the over accessorized looks of the two thousand and nine is flaming in this movie. Like on Fire, there's a million bracelets belt over a T shirt, which I just don't know how that ever became a trench.
Speaker 3: I am guilty of it.
Speaker 2: So again, don't come for me, guys, because I know that it was just that way in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 3: But my god, it was crazy. It was just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: On the other side, though, I will say that this mom had these sexiest attire I have ever seen in a d comp rocket. It was everything was tight and not necessarily booblicious, but everything was cinched and she was showing skin and I was there for it because she looked like a hot mom on this vacation.
Speaker 3: So I loved it.
Speaker 2: And then the last thing about the outfits, these boots that she had to wear for the majority of the movie. The white boats didn't make sense when she was around the beach. They came from the beach and she had these white boots. She went into the jungle, she had these white boots.
Speaker 3: I hated them. They were awful. That's just my opinion.
Speaker 1: So you go to a jungle, no white boots.
Speaker 3: Well, they were the weirdest white boots.
Speaker 2: They were not like I know, if she looks back at it, she goes, God, who let me wear those white boots?
Speaker 3: Not cute.
Speaker 2: Then the last thing I would say is just the oh the windsurfers.
Speaker 3: I yes, So during that film, the parents never leave the beach.
Speaker 2: But if you see that, if you go back and watch, they're like, it's like they thought they were on Oh they were.
Speaker 1: They tell them like, hey, you're on the water too. Imagine you're on the water.
Speaker 3: Yes, imagine you're on the water.
Speaker 2: When they're on the sand, and I don't know, maybe it's because, like you said, it was really hard to keep a hold and it.
Speaker 3: Looked like it is.
Speaker 2: It's tough to hold them up and it looked like that whole shooting that they had while they were in Puerto Rico, the wind was going. Next, you could see all of the actor's hair was they were trying to get.
Speaker 1: There was the one scene where the mom literally held her hair back the whole time she was walking and talking in the scene and held her hair.
Speaker 3: Back pretty much Selena's.
Speaker 2: By the time she gets to Puerto Rico, her hair is completely back in like at least a half a half down, So that might have been what it was happening.
Speaker 1: Was the wind, Wait, what's a half of what's what's a paptown?
Speaker 3: Half a half down?
Speaker 1: Oh? Half a half down? Like you said, half a paptown. I'm like, what is a pap town?
Speaker 3: Half a half down?
Speaker 2: So that was basically how her hair was, and it was probably because the wind.
Speaker 3: And something.
Speaker 2: You can't do anything about it when you're shooting outside.
Speaker 3: And the last was just like a rebuttal of all the.
Speaker 2: Movies that this movie seemed like at one point or the other.
Speaker 3: Of course we did, Harry Potter.
Speaker 2: You mentioned it as well. As soon as the would lose memory and all that stuff was back to the future, we had Indiana Jones. I mean that whole set looked like it. Then we had Aladdin with the Ago, the parrot that comes the jewel or good one, and.
Speaker 3: Then at the end it was a mix.
Speaker 2: For me. Of course, I don't know Harry Potter as well, but I have seen The Hunger Games and that hole back and forth, and they're in new like uniforms and all that. I mean, that's a long list of other movies that this movie is not, but.
Speaker 1: Exactly that.
Speaker 3: Had a bunch of them so good that Sabrina.
Speaker 1: Seas for I like it. And now, of course we have to rate our film one out of ten and our options this week one out of ten. Transformed subway restaurants one out of ten, Caribbean tourism videos one out of ten, sketchy ass parrots one out of ten, magical nachos one out of ten, couber magical dads one out of ten, quidditch lawsuits one out of ten, time tornadoes one out of ten, Cheap little Anime celebrations or one out of ten Little Himbo Javier's I'm gonna let you pick this week, which, yes, what would you like? Screena like I.
Speaker 2: Picked last week, But that's Okay, I'm gonna go with Quidditch Lawsuits because it was just.
Speaker 1: Too exactly what I would have picked.
Speaker 3: And I'm obviously a big Harry Potter fan.
Speaker 1: Now I could tell. I could tell this movie should have been called Harry Potter and the Selena in the Waverley Place movie. Yes, all right, So did I go? I think I went first? Last week? Did I go? I don't know. I'm gonna remember. I know where I am. So I got a problem with this. Okay, I really liked this movie. I think I would have liked it a little more had I known the characters better. And that's on me, that's not on the movie. So I'm gonna give this movie a solid eight point five. Nice because again I found her to be very annoying at the beginning. Just the character. I hear, she's a lovely person. I'm the character I found to be very teenagery and maybe that's why I never want kids, So that was a little bit difficult for me. But good acting. The movie looked great, it was entertaining. I knew what I was going to get it was, but mostly it was about Selena Gomez and David Henry, who were great. They had so much chemistry they carried the film. The parents were really good, the kid who played Max, all the whole family dynamic was great. So I give this a solid eight point five Quidditch Lawsuits all the way around.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: I actually am gonna bump it up a little bit to nine. Okay, nine Quidditch Lawsuits for Me.
Speaker 3: Same thing.
Speaker 2: Love the characters, love the chemistry of all of them. I loved the mother daughter and again it it is a little jarring, but sixteen year olds are jarring.
Speaker 3: It's a tough age.
Speaker 2: I think that one thing the Channel knows how to do is make those storylines where you grow, and I love that for the audience. I loved the soundtrack. I didn't love, but I could meet halfway with the over accessorized outfit.
Speaker 1: Fair enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I just I really did. I thought it looked great. I thought it was such a good movie, and it's made me a fan. I do want to now either go back and watch Wizards or jump on this new wagon and this new era of where they're going to take the show from where they left off. I can't wait to watch the second one.
Speaker 3: So nine Quidditch Lawsuits for Me.
Speaker 1: That's great, and I think I agree. I agree with you one hundred percent, and I think that's probably one of the biggest compliments you can give any film like this is I want to go back and watch the show. Yeah, I mean, I you can. There could be no higher praise than Hey, now, I want to go watch the rest.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Thank you for joining us this week. Our next movie on Magical Rewind is the two thousand sports comedy Ali Katz Strike, which, despite every instinct I have, is not about using cats to bowl. It's on Disney Plus, so you can watch it whenever you like, And we're going to be backtracking a little bit for our dedicated Magical Rewind Park Copper episode this week. We're returning to read it and weep the fantasy high school story starring the sisters Panabaker, because we interviewed Marquis C. Brown aka Lindsay all about our time on set, and she brought the heat. Here is a small snippet of what to expect.
Speaker 6: Funny enough, I auditioned for high school musical maybe like I don't know, a couple weeks before, maybe a month before, Like at that time, I can't remember.
Speaker 3: It's like years ago.
Speaker 6: At this point, but still Glens, it really does.
Speaker 4: But I auditioned for that.
Speaker 6: I was so prepared, you know, in your mind, you're like, you spent all the time preparing for the audition. I go in and I just bomb it, like completely bumb Oh yeah, remember my lines. I'm getting nervous, and it's like it's those random times where I always found it was random times where I'm actually getting nervous. You think that you're so prepared, You're like, oh yeah, nothing, get it there.
Speaker 1: And remember to please subscribe to our feed. You just search for Magical Rewind wherever you get your podcasts and subscribe. We have talked to a ton of dcom favorites. You won't believe it. And you can follow us that Magical Rewind pod on the Instagram machine. Thanks everybody. Hey Serena, can you give us one more Harry Potter? Out of course? Bye Wye