Speaker 1: This story contains adult content and language. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: One of the Nazi spies is hit by a car. The other spy walking with him, instead of attending to his colleague, picks up the statue of papers and he runs off.
Speaker 1: I'm Kate Winkler Dawson, a nonfiction author and journalism professor in Austin, Texas. I'm also the co host of the podcast Buried Bones on Exactly Right, and throughout my career, research for my many audio and book projects has taken me around the world. On Wicked Words, I sit down with the people I've met along the way, amazing writers, journalists, filmmakers, and podcasters who have investigated and reported on notorious true crime cases. This is about the choices writers make, both good and bad, and it's a deep dive into the unpublished details behind their stories. I love a good spy story. We've talked about spies embedded with the American government. We've discussed librarians and academics researching in the basement of the Library of Congress during World War Two, and now we're talking with Thomas Mayer about a very unlikely spy. A former football player turned spy for Winston Churchill. It's all in Mayer's book The Invisible Spy. With this story, what are the parallels do you think of what we're seeing today, not even necessarily in the United States, but around the world. You know, editors will want to know how does this book resonate with readers today. What do you say?
Speaker 2: I think this book is ripped right out of the headlines of today. We're talking about the impact and the importance of espionage, how it plays out. A big part of the book is also about the propaganda campaign that the British at Rockefeller Center were basically doing behind the scenes in order to get America into the war. That was the big hope of Prime Minister Winston Churchill. You know, at that time, in nineteen forty, Churchill had just become Prime Minister. He realized that it was very important for America to get in because at that time London was being bombed, people were living in the subways. It was a matter of life and death for the British, and it was essential in Churchill's eyes that America entered the war, and so at Rockefeller Center was set up a secret headquarters up on the thirty sixth floor of Rockefeller Center where a whole group of British spies, some Canadians and British. They ran a number of different things, but one of the major things was a propaganda arm meant to influence American media. And Ernest Cuneo, who's the subject of my book, The Invisible Spy. Ernest Cuneo was wearing several different hats, but you could say he was not only the first spy American spy of World War One, but he was also, by today's standards, a massive media influencer. This is really kind of a walk into the deep state. Today. We talk about deep state and some of it is just rhetorical nonsense, but there are people who do make things happen in the government, and people who are like Ernest Cuneo, who are familiar with a number of different agencies and they're the ones who make it happen. And even though Ernest Couneo wanted to remain anonymous, that was all part of his job description, if you will. He was very influential with a number of different agencies, including the first spy agency of the United Slate States.
Speaker 1: I mean, this sounds like an incredible story. We have spoken to a couple of different authors who have talked about spies, one in particular, who talked about World War two spies who were located in Europe and were sending back information to spies and the basement of the Library of Congress, And that is also a unlikely spy story. About archivists and librarians and researchers and basically academic geeks you know, who have done all this, you, I feel like, almost have the opposite kind of unlikely spy. So why don't we get started with you know, Ernest and what can you tell me about him, maybe from either childhood or when he was younger that will give us some context about how he ended up doing what he did.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm really intrigued with Ernest Kuneil because he went to Columbia and I went to Columbia journalism school, and that kind of caught my eye. But he was an Italian American kid who grew up in the New York area, in the suburbs of New Jersey, and he played football at Columbia when Columbia actually did have a good football team, and he went into the NFL and he was playing as an alignment in the NFL in the very early days of the league. He actually would play for those people who played football familiar with football. He played all sixty minutes. He would play offensive lineman and then he would play defensive lineman, and so he played for a couple of years. The name of the team that he played for was the Brooklyn Dodgers, not the baseball team, the famous baseball team, but there was actually an NFL franchise back in the early thirties by the name of Brooklyn Dodgers, and he played for that. And it's the same time he was going to law school. He got a law degree. He was working for a time period for the New York Daily News on the night shift, so at times he was a reporter. So he was a really bright guy. He had worked eventually with Walter Winchell, who was probably, without that the most famous media figure in America. He was he had a column that appeared literally in hundreds of newspapers around the country. But he also had a Sunday night radio broadcast, and that broadcast was heard by millions of Americans. This is before television, so on Sunday nights, you tune in and listened to Walter Winchell. If you've ever heard Winchell's voice, it was almost like a machine gun approach, or was very He actually did the narration for a show called The Untouchables for those people that may have that type of memory of an old TV show, The Untouchables. But Coonio was his lawyer h and also Coonia was a lawyer for another well known media figure named Drew Pearson. And so to me, Ernest Cooneo was fascinating because on one level, he wanted to be anonymous, and he felt that that was a key to his success. And he learned even though he started out wanting seeking fame as a football player, he really realized over time that in the world of politics, in the world of the media, and also particularly in the world of espionage, that it's really important to behind the scenes, to become invisible. And that's what Ernest Cuneo became. And that's one of the reasons why I was fascinated with this book. The other thing is the life and times of Ernest Cuneo. He's directly involved in a number of different very prominent spy cases from the beginning of World War two, even before America gets involved, from about nineteen forty all the way through the Cold War and all the way to the jfk assassination. That's the extent of my book. And so his life and times involves things where Ernest directly is involved or because he's working with agencies that they are involved in a number of spy cases that I play out in this book. So for me, it was an opportunity to kind of talk about the whole growth of American espionage and that's a remarkable story in and of itself.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk about the transition that he makes from NFL football player and you know, a law student, lawyer, and reporter for a newspaper, all of these different things to how you get from there to the thirty sixth floor of Rockefeller Center. What year are we in and put me into the context of where we are in America, like socioeconomic and everything, and then looking towards what's about to happen with World War two.
Speaker 2: This is the nineteen thirties, so America is suffering through the depression. Ernest Cuneo is a hard working kid. He's been able through a football scholarship to go to Columbia, but he gets a job eventually working for then Congressman Fiarello LaGuardia, who eventually becomes the very famous not the airport for the actual mayor for whom the airport is named here in New York. And Fiarella LaGuardia was a mentor for Ernest Cuneo, and that was a really important thing because he was introduced to a number of different essentially New York liberals, some of whom had connections with Columbia that he knew. But they were called the brain trust of President Franklin Roosevelt. And so when Roosevelt was elected in nineteen thirty three, eventually, by the mid thirties, Cuneo gets a job working he's a private attorney, but he's working with Walter Winchel, but he's also working for the Democratic Party, the National He's the Associate council for the National Democratic Party. He's also what is called an advance man, an advance man for the president and for other major Democratic candidates. An advance man is that that's a term of art in political campaigns. They are the people that go out and scout out locations and they set up everything. They make sure that the high school band is playing when the president arrives and all those type of things. But also because Ernest was working with Walter Winchell, he really impressed upon them the importance of being able to essentially manipulate the media, to work with the media, to cultivate them, to have sources. And he was a great source for Walter Winchell and Drew Pearson and the people that he worked with, both at the White House, eventually with the British spies at Rockefeller Center. They recognize that about Ernest. So his power was in his anonymity, if you will. It was. His power was the ability to get things done, to plant stories, and my book is replete with examples of that.
Speaker 1: I want to take a little bit of a side because I'm not sure how many people would know this, but when we talk about the Democratic Party FDR, he's elected in three to this Democratic Party, the Democratic Party has changed dramatically clearly from nineteen thirty three on. I mean, my first sort of history lesson with the Democratic Party was Boss Tweed. When this was happening. FDR knew, you know, on the horizon that word War two was coming or what was sort of the advance, noticed that things were going downhill where he starts thinking, and the brain trust starts thinking, we need a plan because maybe we didn't have a plan with World War One. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Basically, America has a long history of isolationist views. The view is that we have this big ocean, both in the Atlantic and the Pacific that kind of keeps us from the affairs. You know, in the thirties, it was only about ten fifteen years past World War One, where there were a number of young Americans who got killed in that war, so people were not looking necessarily to get involved. And yet in Europe particularly, but the rise of Hitler, the fact that Hitler marched through all of these countries, Frans Poll and all of these places. By the late thirties, it was pretty clear that this was a very serious situation that had to be dealt with. Roosevelt recognized that, and yet he was also saying in nineteen forty, when he ran for a third term, Roosevelt promised at the Boston Garden, it was his last appearance of that campaign. He said, I promise I wound send your sons and daughters to to war.
Speaker 1: That was a good impression, thank you.
Speaker 2: So that's October of forty. But already Ernest Couneil was at war, he was already working with the British spies at Rockefeller Center. So Roosevelt, who was a masterful politician, he was able to play three dimensional chess, as they say, what he was saying publicly was different than what he was the actions that he knew was necessary because war was coming in some manner of form, and of course did with the attack at Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 1: Did we have many American spies during World War One or any located in the United States or British spies.
Speaker 2: No, you know, it's part of this whole isolationist view of America. This history of isolationist view also has to do kind of with a disparagement of espionage, which is crazy. You know, the Germans, the Russians certainly believed in espionage. Winston Churchill from those earliest days was involved with spying and such, so they all understood the importance. The Nazis certainly understand they had spies here in the United States. But even during the Roosevelts administration, there was a Secretary of State Henry Stimpson who famously said that gentlemen do not read the mail of other gentlemen, which was really interesting for a variety of reasons, but it was crazy. You need intelligence. If you are a superpower of big power, or any nation of any size should be having some level of intelligence gathering. That doesn't mean necessarily a covert James Bond type of spy, but literally the gathering of intelligence, the developing of sources. That was really the first step, and that was impressed upon President Roosevelt, and he allowed Ernest Cuneo to deal directly with the British spies, and that kind of, in a way, starts the whole ball rolling of modern American espionage. You know, it gets more and more involved as the story goes on, but essentially when Churchill decides to put those spies in Rockefeller Center, up on the thirty sixth floor, right across the street from Saint Patrick's Cathedral, with all these smart alec New Yorkers walking past, thinking, oh, we know everything that's going on. I'm a smarter you know, I'm a smarty pant New Yorker, and they're all oblivious to the fact that up on the thirty sixth floor is this big foreign spy operation. And that operation was something that eventually Roosevelt realizes that we had to follow, we had to model our own espionage agency, and that began. That be really begins with Pearl Harbor.
Speaker 1: Well, before we get to Pearl Harbor, take Earnest out of it for a moment. The British spies, who are you know, in Rockefeller Center, which is I guess operating in plain sight? That's a smart thing to do. Yeah, exactly, much like working in the basement of the Library of Congress. When you look at these spies in the simplest of simple terms, what are they doing that is considered you know, gathering intelligence? Are they receiving information from their spies in Europe? Or what's the purpose of that group in Rockefeller Center.
Speaker 2: Well, they're doing a couple of things. Initially, they get permission to keep the supply lines open. Spare in mind, Britain's at war is really important to have those supply lines coming from America. So that was the way that they got permission to set up this operation. But very quickly it expanded into other things. It expanded into keeping an eye on all the Nazi spies in the United States. And there were not only some Nazi spies in particularly in the New York area, but there was also a number of German born immigrants who were sympathetic to Germany in fact, and this isolationist group. There was a group called America First and they were very much pro German or certainly not anti German, and they had a big rally and a kind of a quasi Nazi rally at Madison Square Garden in nineteen thirty nine. About twenty thousand people were at Madison Square Garden. It was like the Nickgame here and it was something that was really amazing, but it was indicative of just how America felt at that time. There was not only isolations, but there was a number of peopeople who were for the Germans. So the British were keeping an eye on the Nazi spies there, but they also expanded it because the number one thing that Churchill wanted out of the spy operation was to convince America to get into the war, because without America's help they were going to everything was going to sink. There was very much feared in London that the Nazis were about to invade Great Britain and everything would be over by that point, and so they set up a propaganda arm at Rockefeller Center, and that was one of the biggest things that Ernest Cutio was involved with. He was involved with essentially taking various different aspects of the British views of everything from polling. At one point they had an astrologer who they imported from London and Ernest set up a press conference to have this astrologer who had been a vaudevillian over in England. But he was a phony astrologer, but he predicted the death of Hitler because they knew that Hitler followed the British believed that he was making military decisions. Hitler is making military decisions based upon the stars, based upon this astrological chart, and so they had this astrologer come over and it was Couneo who set up a press conference. This astrologer said Hitler's going to die, and that got headlines all around the world. So there were a lot of things like that. One last thing is that the British also got involved in elections, which is another factor that's very much we are concerned about. We hear about Russian interference, foreign interference with our elections, and indeed the British did get involved in the nineteen forty congressional campaigns. They went after a number of different isolationists candidates, both of whom were Republican and some Democrats. There was a Democrat in the area where Roosevelt was from, in the Poughkeepsie, New York area, they went after him, and by that they actually went to the scene. They actually helped with some rallies. But they also got involved in polling and surveying, and there was like a phony poll, a survey that the British set up that Cunio was very actively involved. I had all these documents from Cuneo's papers that explain this. But they did a survey in the nineteen forty Democratic and Republican national conventions, a survey of how many delegates favored intervention into the war. Now, most of those people that were attending congresspeople and such, their letters were saying, don't send my kids a war. We don't want to, we don't want to get involved in a foreign war. And yet the survey magically said that most delegates to both conventions, Republican Democrats, the favored getting involved in the war. And that serve that phony survey was reported by a number of different major newspapers, the New York Times, the Herald Tribune and such, and it's all laid out in my in my book. I have the documents that were part of that. They're up at the FDR library. Kunio's papers are there and they described a lot that you can see from the correspondence. How you know exactly what they did.
Speaker 1: This might be another slight deviation from what we're talking about. But I have a question, because I've researched some about nativism in the eighteen hundreds, what do you think the difference was between somebody who is in the nineteen thirties or forties who I mean, I think FDR is looking at as the difference between somebody who is an isolationist and somebody who is a nativist in the United States. Is there a large difference between the two in the thirties or forties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think there was a difference, although they did overlap certainly. But the Nativists, the No Nothing Party, they were fundamentally anti immigrant. You know, I've done books. I did a book about twenty five years ago about the Kennedys about their Irish Catholic immigrant experience and how it affected them. Public lives, and that's a big part of that story. So basically that native is was anti immigrant. That's fundamentally what that was about. The isolationists was to some extent had its roots in George Washington's farewell address that he warned about foreign entanglements, and there was a view. I don't know if it was a conservative view or whatever, because I think a lot of liberals share this view as well, that why are we getting involved in Vietnam, for instance, or why are we getting involved in Iraq? Why? And we certainly see that these days now. Of course that comes back to bite us in the proverbial rear ends, and that certainly we saw that with Hitler that we just could not Hitler was not going to go away, and Roosevelt knew that, but he what he had to do, like any good politicianist kind of lead the populace to recognizing the reality. And so there was a distinction between the name of this view and this isolationist view.
Speaker 1: I mean, you bring up so many things for me I researched. I once wanted to do a book on Boss Tweed, who is you know, of course, a very corrupt politician, Damminy Hall in the late eighteen hundreds, but also on Thomas nast Sure, the cartoonist who was a just incredible nativist, and some of his you know, cartoons and sketch's political cartoons were of course very anti Irish. Okay, So I think we started talking about Pearl Harbor. You said, that's where something's changed. Was that maybe the view shifting of the public of whether we should be involved.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was the blatancy of that attack, kind of nine to eleven like for today's audience. It was a shocking event. And so that was the turning point. That's where we immediately entered the war. And in fact, shortly thereafter, Churchill comes over to the United States. He spends Christmas, the Christmas holidays that year, this is in nineteen forty one with FDR, and they literally map out their plans for the how to prosecute the war in Europe. And so this was when Churchill heard about Pearl Harbor. He said to his son Randolph, essentially his prayers had been answered. Now the United States would get involved, and now we would be saved because Britain had been at warf by that point for about two and a half years.
Speaker 1: Now, you said, I think in the book that Ernest had acted as sort of this liaison between the British spies in Rockefeller Center and you know, the brain trust with FDR, and then there's Churchill. How does that exactly work? I hear that. You know, Ernest can do some pretty amazing things, as you said, like an influencer and has all of these great ideas, particularly with spinning the media and the public. But what were his actual sort of job duties.
Speaker 2: Well, to some extent, you know, it's funny because he'd definitely liked to keep it somewhat so that he couldn't necessarily be pinned down with In fact, at one point he decided not to accept a paycheck with the Office of Strategic Services, just so that he would be free to do what be on his own, to some extent that he was almost like a free agent. Specifically, he started by working with the British at Rockefeller Center. It was there that, for instance, that he met two very important people in his life. Subsequently, Ian Fleming, who created James Bond, who was also a British spy there, and he met a Canadian spy there by the name of Margaret Watson, who eventually becomes Cuneo's wife. There's kind of a romance there, and that was also one of the things that kind of like pulled me as a writer to the book, this kind of romance at Rockefeller Center. I actually I actually proposed to my wife at Rockefeller Center. So yeah, so it kind of grabbed my eye there. But his job was to deal at first with the Brits, and then as things moved along, he was planting stories. I mean, the Brits were a great source of stories for Walter Winchell, his boss. The main source of money for Ernest Cooney. It was not so much what he was getting from the government, but what he was getting as a fees, legal fees. He was a very good libel lawyer, for instance, and working for Walter Winchell paid him a lot of money in those days. And then also so did Drew Pearson. Pearson had been a if you're familiar with Jack Anderson, it's the same column. It's called the Washington Merry Go Round and it was a very famous investigative before Woodward and Bernstein. This was the column where people would look for the dirt in Washington. And it was Drew Pearson who started Drew Pearson as a young man was a Columbia teacher and one of his students was Ernest Cuneo. So they were like these very interesting personal connections that Cuneo had. But as time went on, Cuneo's portfit just got wider and wider, so that he is working with the Brits, he's working with the various different media people, but also he's working with the FBI because he knows and has actually gone out with Winchell and others. With the FBI head Jaya good Hoover. They would go to a place called the Store Club where Winchall had his own table there and it was very famous. All these Broadway and movie people were there, so he knew Hoover. Hoover became famous because of Winchell and Hoover running after gangsters, so he knew Hoover. You know, Cuneo knew Hoover, he knew The National Security Advisor from Roosevelt was a guy named Adolph Burle who was his title was Assistant Secretary of State, but he essentially was the national what we call now the National Security Advisor. And Burl had been Punio's teacher at Columbia, So you know, it was kind of an interesting world that he knew. He knew that people in the Justice Department, he knew a couple of Supreme Court in Washington. There was a building it was called the Armatage and it's where a number of top people with power had They had little apartments there when they were in Washington, and Cuneo had enough funds that he also had an apartment there. So you know, a lot of these things are done over drinks, over lunch. So that's how more and more Cuneo's portfolio expanded.
Speaker 1: Well, how tight of an operation is this? I mean, you've mentioned quite a few people who are involved, which I'm sure is normal. But you know, you've got some newspaper folks, and you know that it seems wide ranging, including a assuming attractive female Canadians. Buy was this considered a really good safe operation or you know, was this sort of not as tightly organized as it could have been.
Speaker 2: No, it's definitely dangerous. In fact, Margaret Watson was a young woman late twenties who was one of many women from the Winnipeg area in Canada who were recruited to work at Rockefeller Center by Churchill's top spy his name was William quote unquote Intrepid. That was kind of his code name, William Intrepid Stevenson, and Stevenson had been a war hero. He was trusted by Churchill. He recruited a number of young women from Canada to work there. In the case of Margaret Watson, she had this photographic memory. According to both I interviewed both Cuneo's children. They were adults when I interviewed them. She had a photographic memory. There were other women who, did you know, some very functionary type of job, secretary jobs and stuff like that. But there were others who were real spies out there in the field spies. One of the more interesting characters was a woman whose code name was Cynthia Amy Pack was her real name, and she was a woman who basically used her her sexual attractiveness to compromise foreign dignitaries in Washington. And there's an older woman who worked out a Rockefeller Center for the Churchill spies who was her handler as they call it. But Cynthia, and I tell some of the stories of Cynthia in my book The Invisible Spy. But she is a fascinating character, needless to say, using her sexual wiles to get secrets out of foreign dignitaries and such. Conversely, there was actually some male spies that had a similar talent as well. One of them is Raul Dahl, the children's book author, who was a British spy. Oh I didn't know that, yes, And he was very attractive to women for that magical reason that that kis myth that happens between people, and he had a number of affairs that were aimed at helping elicit information from key people, one of whom was a congresswoman named Claire booth Loose that raw Dahl had an affair with. Claire booth Loose was married to Henry Loose, who owned Time magazine and Life magazine, and she was very prominent, as was her husband. But she had an affair with Raul Dall so much so and they were so active that a certain point Raudall complained to the British spies superiors saying I'm exhausted, I can't do this anymore. And he won it off. And as the story goes, the spymaster in charge of Doll said, well, did you ever see that movie The Henry the Eighth where he says the things I must do for England. Well, that's exactly your position, the things you must do for England. So you know, it was just an interesting time period. Of all these different characters. The female spies at Rockefeller Center were almost as interesting or just as interesting as the male spy. And I guess the one that was most important to Ernest Cuneo was Ian Fleming because they become lifelong friends. With the start of the war.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you had said with Pearl Harbor, the public sentiment starts to change towards the United States getting involved, right.
Speaker 2: Majorly, like nine to eleven, you know, the way it just catapults things.
Speaker 1: But Ernest had figured out some ways to sort of boost this, you know, kind of tricking around with Poles to say, you know that the congressional sentiment is more leaning towards getting involved, right and all of this, when do things heat up for them? I mean more than is there anything that happens that's more than sort of the you know, these placing of these stories things that feel like they're really making a huge shift or is it a tiny lots of little amounts of shifts that just end up having a big influence.
Speaker 2: There's really kind of like two periods. There's a period from the summer nineteen forty when Churchill comes to power and they set up things at Rockefeller Center, and then bear in mind it's almost so that's in the summer of forty about a year and a half almost until Pearl Harbor happens in December of nineteen forty one. So that's part of things. The British spies were very active. In fact, I begin my book with a circumstance where two Nazi spies are walking through Times Square, the heart of Manhattan in New York City, and with them is a satchel containing papers planning how they're going to blow up Manhattan in the event that America finally gets into the war. And so they're walking and one of the Nazi spies is hit by a car. What happens is the other spy walking with him, instead of attending to his colleague and these fatal injuries that he had, he's literally bleeding out is that ran over his head and such. Instead, he picks up the satchel of papers and he runs off good spy. So the cops show up at the scene, right the New York City cops and the dead man his papers say that he's a Spaniard and he's got these phony Spanish papers. So the cops check. The New York City cops check with the Spanish consulate and they say, no, there's no record of this guy. We don't know who this guy is. And so the cops go to the FBI Jague Hoover. Hoover doesn't know who it is. But eventually what happens is they are in contact with the British spies at Rockefeller Center and they know who this sky is and how do they know how this guy is. Well, one of the operations that they have is that in Bermuda, at the Princess Hotel in Hamilton in the basement. It's a very fancy hotel, but they had an operation where the mail that were being sent from America to Europe would go through Bermuda. Bear in mind, you know, they would fly it over and such, but they would go through the mail and they were able to and it was tons of people involved in this operation, but they were able to spot a letter by the guy who ran away from the scene. The other Nazi spy who survived, the one with the satchel. He wrote back to his superiors in Germany, but in a letter, and it detailed what happened, and so they were eventually able to find out where that Nazi spy was living. They traced the addresses and such, and so the FBI sets up this manhunt on this guy and for a while they just watch him, and he has all these other different spies that are related. So eventually the FBI comes up with I think they indicted something like fifteen people eventually as part of that spy ring. And so the Brits were way more advanced than either the FBI or the New York City Police at that time period. I start my book with that case because it also illustrates just how clueless we were about espionage at the beginning of World War Two and just how advanced the British war.
Speaker 1: Now, how does Ian Fleming, the creator of James Bond, come into all of this, because I know they become very good friends, he and Ernest, and also what Ernest does inspires Fleming, you know for the James Bond series. So does this come in the middle of World War two?
Speaker 2: Is that what happened in the beginning actually before Pearl Harbor? Okay, So Ian Fleming is this very suave guy. You know, you'll see pictures of Ian Fleming with these cigarette holders, and he's a thin, very astude. He's a writer and Cutio is definitely a writer, but he's also a lawyer. But Cutio is a different that guy. He looks like a human refrigerator if you will. I mean, he's like five foot nine. He was a lineman in the NFL. So this is by nineteen forty he meets Ian Fleming, so they're very two different characters. Fleming is working for British intelligence and he's a very smart and creative guy. He's working for a very powerful admiral. Admiral Godfrey was his name, and so Fleming is involved with coming up with a number of different operations. There's a play of musical right now in Manhattan called Operation Mincemeat. It's a play the origins of Operation Minsweet, which was using a corpse to throw off the Nazis, and the corpse is found by the Nazis determine that the invasion is going to take place in one place and instead it's going to take place another place in Italy, and so that was Fleming's idea, but he was also very creative in other respects. And so he and Cuneo, even though there were very different men, ones of brit ones of American, different looking, they like to go out and party, they liked to have fun, they liked women, They like going out to nightclubs. Their scenes at the fellow who ran the Churchill Spies, his name was William Intrepid Stevenson. They would come up to his he had like this duplex in Manhattan with a big fireplace, and they'd be sharing drinks. And in Cuneo's memoirs there's some of the exchanges that he had with Fleming that I repeat in my book. But they become friends and so. And what's interesting is that after the war, you know, most people went their separate ways, they remained friends. In fact, they went into business together. They created they were involved in a newspaper syndicate company called NANA was short. It was North American Newspaper Alliance. But it was a company where they would have syndicated columnists and such. But it was also a way of keeping in contact with the intelligence world and such. So Fleming worked out of London for this company and Cutio ran it in New York. But they were Buddies. There was another friend, like a childhood friend of Ian Flemings's name was Iver Bryce, and Iver was a very wealthy man, and the three of them basically ran this company together. Eventually, somewhat on a lark. Finally Fleming he had talked for years about writing a novel, and so he finally writes the novel. It comes out, and the character's name is James Bond. It's name for an autobond expert, but in any event, he comes up and it's basically James Bond is patterned on William Stevenson, the guy who was running the Churchill Intrepid Intrepid exactly and actually there are scenes in the first James Bond novel that actually happened. They were kind of exaggerated versions of what happened at Rockefeller Center that's in Casino Royale. But then eventually, with that first James Bond novel, Fleming realizes that he needs to know more about America because he really only knows America through manhe Night Spots and such, and also with Washington, d C. But he doesn't know the rest of America. So he prevails on Coutio to go out and they go out to Chicago and they go out to Las Vegas. Cuneo has sources out in Las Vegas, the casinos, and eventually they go out to Hollywood. But some of those scenes are in James Bond books like Diamonds Are Forever. And in fact, the one where I guess Cuneo had the most impact was on Thunderball. It was a very popular novel and very popular movie with Sean Connery. The movie treatment for that was actually written by Cutio. In fact, Fletting wanted Cuneo to play the bad guy who was supposed to be a mobster, and as an Italian American, Cuneo didn't want to have anything to do with with that type of slur on the Italian people, and so of course they got other actors and such. But Fleming dedicated Thunderball the novel to Cuneo. He says, to Ernest Cuneo my muse, and he provided a lot of different ideas. I thought one of the most fun parts of my book is that trip, that cross country trip that Cuneo, the American and Ian Fleming, the creator of this British spy James Bond, just going out there and who they meet and how he learns about America.
Speaker 1: What were the things that you said were kind of exaggerated in James Bond, but that were inspired by Ernest and his work. Were there any kind of like direct correlations where you could say, oh, my gosh, oh yeah, what's a good example.
Speaker 2: In Casino Royale, there was a scene that was based upon a real life circumstance in which Fleming. This is early before Pearl Harbor, but when the British are at Rockefeller Center, there were a number of other countries that had consulates in the Rockefeller Center area, including the Japanese. And one night, this is what happened in real life life, is that Stevenson decided in the middle of the night to break in to the Japanese consulate office, break into their Somehow they were able to get the codes for the safe there, and they were able to take out the code papers, the cipher papers and sets the codes, take them, go up to their offices up on the thirty sixth floor, make copies of these code papers and then put them back in the safe of the Japanese. And Flevty loved that idea. He just loved, you know, he just loved adventure and all that type of stuff, and Stevenson was the person who would do those type of things. He was he would push the envelope, as they say. So that was a real the real life experience. He took that and he exaggerated it in Casino Royale where James Bond actually assassinates a Japanese cipher expert through the window. He's up, he's up on one of the buildings Ackefeller Center, and he shoots through the window and kills this Japanese cipher expert in this envisioned version of what actually happened in real life, or it was kind of based upon real life. But Fleming, just with James Fond, he let's say, made into a more memorable violent episode.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize that Ian Fleming has any I just thought he was an author. I guess I didn't know that he had some background in you know, espionage is his just briefly, what was Fleming's background before he decided to stop and do a novel, just your average British spy.
Speaker 2: No, quite the contrary. He was a writer. He saw this as a way of it's just a very interesting life. And you know, he was one of those things that in other words, getting involved. He was in naval intelligence, so he was an officer. There's pictures of Ian Fleming after the war. He has a couple of different jobs. He eventually one of the jobs is he winds up becoming the London representative for Cuneo's company that he Cunio was running in New York, this Nana company, the newspaper syndicate. But Fleming fundamentally was a writer, but he had not tried his hand with the James Bond novels, and they didn't come out until I think fifty three was the first one, and then over time they became more and more popular. The James Bond novels were particularly made popular when President Kennedy took office in nineteen sixty one, and there were interviews with people and they said, what are some of your favorite books, and he said the James Bond books. In fact, Jackie Kennedy was also a big proponent of She liked the James Bond books as well that her husband was reading. And she sent a copy of one of the James Bond books to Alan Dulles, who was then the head of the CIA, and said, you know, you should read this book. And then actually there was some pressure on the CIA to try to come up with the gadgets that you see in these James Bond movies, know, the exploding cigars, all these other different killing devices. They would see these movies in the Kennedy administration say well, well, CIA, can you think you can maybe come up with something like this? And so Leming had remarkable success. He really captured the time, and obviously it became a big franchise.
Speaker 1: Tell me a little bit before we kind of talk about post war stuff with Cunia. What is Ernest's relationship with Margaret Watson? Like, I know that they eventually get married. So these two spies decided to have children. I don't know if that seems like a great idea, but this must have been post spy for them. I guess yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: Well, I think, you know a lot of people after World War Two, after depression, suffering through the depression, and then having five years four years of World War a lot of people dying, there were a lot of people eager to go back and go home and create families and such. Margaret Watson was a fascinating character. As I mentioned, she had a photographic memory. She was apparently involved in some of the financial aspects. And there's a story that her children, both her son and her daughter, both of them are very distinguished attorneys. In fact, the son, John Kutio, I dedicate my book to him. It's one of the people I dedicate my book The Invisible Spy to him, but he just recently died. But both of them told me a story about their mother. There was a point at which some type of Nazi spy broke into the dormitory where Watson and a number of other female spies working for that Churchill operation Rockefeller Center where they lived. It was nearby Rockefeller Center, and somehow they broke in. It's not really clear exactly why they keyed in on Margaret Watson, but the spy actually put a pillow over it. She was trying to go to sleep, and then he broke in, tried to smother her, and she broke free. She yelled for help, and they took care of the person that broke in. Clearly had a German accent, that was the one thing that was very clear, uh, And they took care of him, as they say. So that was kind of an interesting thing. The idea of this woman from like a lot of the Canadian women who were working as Churchill's spies of Rockefeller Center. You know, they had come from relatively rural areas, a relatively small populated areas, and to come to the big city that was a that was a big thing for them. With Ernest Cuneo, I think what she's what Margaret Watson saw in Earnest was and again she was. They were very different personalities, but Cooneo knew everybody, it seemed. She would go out to the nightclubs with Ernest, she would meet all these famous people like Walter Winchell. He really knew this whole new world, this fascinating world of Manhattan, and that was a big part of I think their romance. Uh there. And and so when the war ends, they decided to get married. For Ernest Cuneo, he had been married before he was on the rebound, as both his children told me, he had been married to somebody had met at Columbia and it just wasn't working out, and they divorced just before the war. But Margaret Watson was somebody that really became his lifelong partner. They formed a family together.
Speaker 1: He just died a couple of decades thirty years ago.
Speaker 2: Maybe, yeah, I'm sorry. As far as the chronology, Ernest graduated I believe like in twenty eight twenty nine somewhere in that ballpark, and his wife Zilda was her name. They were married for about eight years, so they get divorced in like thirty eight thirty nine, somewhere in that ballpark. There was apparently another woman that I mentioned briefly in the book. I couldn't get any more details about that, but there apparently was another woman. But fundamentally it just didn't work out. Cunea was working for the president. When you work for somebody like that, you're working all the time, you're away from the home. I don't know what other private problems that were between it, but they divorced, and so by the time that Ernest is meeting Margaret Watson, that would have been probably sometime in either late forty or more likely or sometime in nineteen forty one. What was interesting to me was Stevenson, who was the top spy for Churchill at Rockefeller Center. He had brought all these young women into the spy operation there, and so they were very careful about telling women not to get involved and not to disclose information about what was going on, and be very wary of who they were talking to, because you would never know if they were somehow going to be compromised by some other foreign agent or whatever. In the case of Margaret Watson, I interviewed both her children and I asked, was Stevenson kind of encouraging this relationship between Watson, Margaret and Ernie that in other words, it was really important for the Churchill Spies to have Ernest Cuneo as their friend, working on their behalf, talking to the White House on all these different things. He was making all these things happen for him. He was the go between between the British and the White House, and so to have a young woman who Ernest clearly likes. Did Stephenson kind of push this on? Did he encourage this relationship with beyond just romance? Was it somehow manipulating these two young people? And it's interesting because they weren't really sure. They didn't think so, But the daughter of Ernest Cuneo said, well, I know for a fact though my mother would not have done anything without the okay of Stevenson. So I think it was something that was just a fortuitous thing that happened, that this romance with this vital American connection Ernest Cuneo was taking place.
Speaker 1: Was helpful, apparently very helpful. Okay, what is post war like for them? Until you know they both die? We have these two kids, you know, everybody's coming home. Is this the end of spying? Do they go? Does he go back to lawyering? What happens?
Speaker 2: Well, he did go back to lawyering. He made a bundle working for Winchell and for Drew Pearson in the media as a libel lawyer and legal counsel, an advisor just in general made a lot of money. Winchell was the highest pay by far, the highest paid person in the media. But also he set up this company that he's working with, Ian Fleming. It was a way for getting together. In fact, Fleming and Iver Bryce. They would go up to a place that Iver Bryce had up in upstate New York and they would hang out and they had a high old time hanging out together. This is after World War Two. But Ernest never severs his ties to people like Alan Dulles. Alan Dulles was the head of the CIA, but he actually began at Rockefeller Center. He had been a lawyer. He began, and he was a very successful spy for the United States. They eventually sent him over to Switzerland, and that's where Dulles was a particularly effective spy for them. But he began at Rockefeller Center and he knew he actually was involved in an operation that Cuneo actually came up with the idea for it. So Cutio never severed those ties with Dulles, and so he would be what they call in the CIA terminology, he was an asset. He was somebody that always had his eyes and ears and whatever he saw. If he saw people that he thought might be Russian double agents and such, he would report that to Dulles, and so he kept that. One of the most extraordinary things in my book is a couple of FBI memos that had never been apparently has never been reported about before. But when John F. Kennedy is assassinated, President Kennedy is assassinated in nineteen sixty three, Alan Dulles has put on the Warren Commission. There were seven members of it, and Alan Dulles at some point during the deliberations while they're investigating the president's murder, he wants to make clear that somehow the CIA is not to blame for that, you know, somehow they didn't protect Kennedy from the assassin, Lee Harvey Oswald. And so there are apparently Dulles was leaking information to Ernest Cuneo, who planned to write almost a book like the twenty thousand word magazine article for a magazine called The Saturday Evening Post. And so he's leaking this information to Cuneo Dulles's and Cuneo then goes to Hoover, who he knows as well, and he's trying to see if he can get Hoover to cooperate in this. And Hoover is smart enough to realize, wait a minute, the President of the United States doesn't want anybody talking about this investigation of Kennedy's murder. This is the Warren Commission in the middle of this investigation, and so they write these memos. It's kind of what they call a cover your ass memo. And basically the memos and I quote these in my book, is by Hoover and his number two at the FBI. They say, Ernest Cuneo's come in and apparently Alan Dulles is leaking to him about what's going on at the Warren Commission, and we told him, you know, we like you, Ernest, but we can't tell you anything. We can't get involved in this, and we're very firm. And that's known in bureaucratic terms as covering your ass. That it's basically memorializing what happened, just so that they have a memory and that they all can say, oh no, now that article that Cuneo was preparing never ran. Who knows what happened. There was a federal judge that also had worked for the FBI, and Cuneo talked to him as well about it because he thought that he might be able to get information from the FBI through this judge. But it's extraordinary because this is the first known leak by the Warren Commission, and it comes back to Alan Dulles. And what we already know historically is Dulles was not telling the Warren Commission about the attempts to kill Cashtro by the CIA. He kept that top secret. So people who looked at the Warren who were on the Warren Commission, like future President Gerald Ford, they had no idea that the CIA was trying to kill Castro, and that Castro has said, if you're trying to kill me. I can go after you. He said that just shortly before the assassinations. So Dulles we know who was already keeping things, but these documents indicate he was also leaking to try to been the story and try to basically get the cias and his version of what was going on before the actual printing of the Warren Report to the public.
Speaker 1: Well, at the end of the day, what do you think was the meaning behind Ernest's work in all of this? I mean, what's the big takeaway for you on why his story was important enough for you to publish? You know, and it's certainly not just the first American spy in World War Two. There's a lot more to him. So what was that?
Speaker 2: Well, a couple of things. What is Yes, Virginia, there is a deep state. It's not as extensive or fictitious as we hear some of the modern politicians you know in our time period who are doing it mainly for political purposes. But there are people in the government who've been worked in key agencies who make things work. You can call them fixers, but they're the ones. You know. There will be people who make politicians and public officials to say things to the public at press conferences. But then there are people who really make it happen.
Speaker 1: Ray Cohen would be one of those people.
Speaker 2: You know, well, yeah, no, but even within government, I mean in in a spy agency. You know, if you ever watched the movie the TV show Homeland, Carrie the main character, she's making things happen and such, there are people in every agency that make things happen. So to some extent, that was part of Cuneo's the importance of people behind the scenes. So I've spent forty years as an investigative reporter. One of the things you learn is that sometimes it's the middle level people who know the most of what's really going on. But also it underlines the importance of espionage. Why it's so important that we have people of good character involved in our intelligence operations, not only in terms of gathering information, but to the extent that we get involved in covert opirations, kind of like the James Bond type of things. We're watching these things very carefully. It's a tough job, it can be a dirty job, but it's an essential job to keeping the peace and being a powerful country. Espionage is really important. Winston Churchill always knew that you didn't have to explain that. But for the Americans, with this isolationist history, that's something that keeps on coming back in our history. History gives us a lot of lessons and it's a big takeaway, you know. And I also thought it was interesting in terms of Ernest Kuneo's very aware of being an Italian American and one of the backdrops of my story is just what it's like to be a kid of immigrant parents. And you know, at times he was the kid with the nose up against the glass looking into the higher reaches of power, and he was not being invited. And there he got in there eventually, but he was never like a top player, always like the middle level player. And so in fact, there's a scene in World War Two in this book where they were talking about intering, putting into camps Italian Americans who were born in Italy but here in the United States because we were at war with Mazsolini and the Italian government, and so there was talk about it was about six hundred thousand Italian Americans who they were seriously thinking of putting into camps, just like we were interning Japanese Americans on the Pacific Coast, and Kutio got involved in that. He heard about it, he acted upon it. He was a real advocate for Italian Americans and argued against it, and he did so effectively. He was one of the people that helped steer our government's policy in that regard. So there's a lot of parallels and we definitely can learn from history with a story like Ernest Kunios.
Speaker 1: If you love historical true crime stories, check out the audio versions of my books The Ghost Club, All That Is Wicked, and American Sherlock and Don't Forget. There are twelve seasons of my historical true crime podcast tenfold More Wicked right here in this podcast feed, scroll back and give them a listen if you haven't already. This has been an exactly right production. Our senior producer is Alexis M. Morosi. Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed by John Bradley. Curtis Heath is our composer, artwork by Nick Toga. Executive produced by Georgia Hardstark, Karen Kilgarriff and Danielle Kramer. Listen to Wicked Words on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or Wherever you get your podcasts, Follow Wicked Words on Instagram at tenfold More Wicked, and on Facebook at wicked words pod