Speaker 1: It's very difficult to keep the line between the past and the press. Believe that someone out of the past we can enter and take possession of a living being. We may be through with the past, but the past is not true with us. Welcome back to the next picture show Movie the Week podcast derouted to a classic film the way it shaped our thoughts on a recent release. I'm Scott Tobias here again with Tasha Robinson once again. Keith Phipps and Genevievkaski are out nursing their blissful food hangovers, but Volture's Roxanna Adati is here with a healthy appetite for podcasting.
Speaker 2: Hello Roxanna, Hello, this is really going to make me hungry. I actually regret this a lot.
Speaker 1: Right, we'll get through this. In our last episode, we discussed Ratituwei Pixars two thousand and seven classic about a rat's unlikely ascendance to the height of the Parisian fine dining scene. Now we start from the bottom again with Tony at Johnson's new coming of age biopic about a formative time in the life of Anthony Bourdain, the late chef and TV personality who wrote Kitchen Confidential and hosted adventurous documentary shows like A Cook's Tour and Parts Unknown, opening in nineteen seventy five, Tony stars Dominic Cessa as nineteen year old Anthony Bourdain, a would be novelist at Vassar College who's first scene pitching an idea for a writing fellowship that could sustain him for the summer. When that fails, young Tony opts to follow the young woman he's chasing, Nancy played by Amelia Jones, to Provincetown in the faint hope that he can win her over. As his fortunes dwindle and his wallet empties, Tony looks into a job washing dishes at the Flagship, a modest tourist spot whose older chef played by Antonio Banderas also offers him the hammock on his porch as a place to crash. Stavrels Helkius and Leo Woodhall play two of the more prominent troublemakers who showed Tony the ropes, and he quietly develops an affection for kitchen work, which doesn't necessarily curb his self destructive tendencies. We'll get into those in a bit.
Speaker 3: Hello, mister Boardain, The committee has decided to go with another student for the fellowship.
Speaker 1: I need a job. You work in a good too.
Speaker 2: Before Sorry, yeah, we open Wednesday to Sunday.
Speaker 1: Started living.
Speaker 2: What time is it?
Speaker 1: And that means that you're here at ten forty five late?
Speaker 2: Anyone late.
Speaker 1: He's fine.
Speaker 3: You know I can cook it too.
Speaker 1: The kids say he's a cook.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually not a cook.
Speaker 1: I'm a writer.
Speaker 3: But I said I know how to cook.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't understand that.
Speaker 2: I see none of that, Tony.
Speaker 1: All right, So I just I'm curious what you all thought of Tony Roxander, your guest. So let's start with you. Do you think, Tony?
Speaker 2: I think it's a very enjoyable movie if you don't know anything about Anthony Bourdain. And I think what I really struggled with is I am a I don't want to say like I'm a bordaane person that sounds like incredibly annoying. Said it and immediately regretted it.
Speaker 3: But you know, I have.
Speaker 2: Read Kitchen Confidential. I have like a general understanding of like the early years of his life and how from his childhood in France, when he was like summering with his family, he had been like obsessed and interested with food for like a very long time, I would say, and the summer in Provincetown is not necessarily And look, I'm taking this all based on Kitchen Confidential chapters and what is laid out in these chapters that are adapted for this film. But I kept getting hung up on some of the like accuracy stuff, which I know is not always the best way to enjoy a film, but for a biopic, there were things about this that I felt like they just reframed Bordaane in a way that I didn't entirely recognize. The movie is perfectly pleasant. I think all of the acting is really solid. I think that it moves well. There is a real flare in the kitchen montage sequences. There's this one long sequence where you know, Tony being woken up with a pot of seawater to the face is mixed in with him like learning kitchen tasks, finally being able to put a potato through the machine that cuts into French fries. There's a real like rhythm and fluidity to some things. And I think Dominiccessa is a perfect like shit stirring asshole, and that's always really fun about his performances, but a Bordane movie.
Speaker 3: It never really.
Speaker 2: Felt to me like a Bordaane movie. And that's where I'm getting hung up. It's like, perfectly fine, I'll rewatch it when it hits streaming, but it's not the Bordaane experience I was looking for.
Speaker 1: Tasha, what about You?
Speaker 3: I like and echo everything that Roxana just said that. I had a very similar experience where there was a point in the movie and I couldn't even tell you where it was, maybe about a third of the way through where I kind of thought, I don't see the Anthony Bourdain I know from his books or his shows in this at all. And that's great, you know, because if this has been a you know, a walk hard kind of story, full of well, hello chef Eric Rippert, who I will meet later in life in a more advantageous situation like that kind of thing, if this had been the kind of movie, you know, rewatching Ratatui. Ratatui is really really full of mission statements, like single sentences delivered with a lot of weight as things that you're supposed to carry, and biopics in this style have a bad tendency to do the same thing. Just really heavy on the here is something that is going to define your life. I'm now going to say a sentence that you could put on a T shirt for this movie, because that's the theme, and this movie was kind of light on that. I kept having holdovers flashbacks and thinking like, this movie compares pretty pretty favorably against the Holdovers if you don't take it as a biopic, if you just take it as a story about a relationship with a kind of fusty older man who has done a lot of living and come to a specific place, and a callow, flailing young man who doesn't know who he is yet but has like a lot of energy and a lot of conviction that he has already complete in and of himself. The dynamics seemed familiar in a good and positive way. But about a third of the way through I let go of thinking of this character as Anthony Bourdain in any way, and it just made the movie better for me. I think it's really interesting, you know, these kind of partial biopics are usually about a really important inflection point, not just that changes the person's life, but kind of define something important to them, And here I kind of feel like all we're really defining is anthey a Warden found out that he liked working in a kitchen and that it was meaningful, not that he discovered some of the things that he in life he would like hold up as mottos and beliefs, and that he would come to be identified with. Just like I don't know what I want to be. I think I know what I want to be because I am, you know, young in my early twenties and know everything. But then you know, some stuff changes, and I like it as a story that way. I think the acting is great, I think the pacing is great, and I think a lot of the storytelling is really great. But I enjoyed this movie so much more. When I let it go as as being any kind of biopic.
Speaker 1: You can you are killing me. I really like this movie a lot. So I'm gonna I'm gonna defend a lot.
Speaker 2: Of a lot say we don't like it.
Speaker 1: We just liked it a lot, and I liked it as a Bordaine film. So so I am, I I am. What's the cool way of saying I was into Bordaying Because I was pretty damn into bordaying that I loved Kitchen Confidential. It's just it's such a magnificent read I read, I read a cook to who, I read everything, I read his novel. I think I read a novel of his. It wasn't as good, but you know, and it shows I loved his personality. He I think, while he was doing those documentaries was pretty clearly America's best export. It's like like he was somebody in American you could trust to be in another country and not make an ass of himself. But in fact I appreciate the culture and history and and that he was immersing himself into and had so much more to do that we had to do with food, and it had to do with so much more than food. I think those values are reflected in this movie. I think the film actually does work as abordained biopick. Maybe it's because I haven't gotten I don't remember the details of Kitchen Confidential as well as you have Rock Down. I know that you read the relevant passages here, so I trust that that maybe the film strays from that a little bit, though I do. I did note a line that felt like it must have come from Kitchen Confidential. We talked about having eaten oysters as a young person, seeing the future or something like that. It felt very that felt very written. Yes, and it's like something that would have come directly from Kitchen Confidential. But I think the film is so clever as a biopick because one, of course, it defies a lot of the cliches of the biopick, and that it's giving you this slice of his life, very small slice of his like this just the origin story, nothing more, you know. I mean, he would have years more of being a jerk and being an addict and being you know, a misfit and a troublemaker. He had that. He was not done with that phase at the point that this movie ends. But I do like how the film works on its own. But I also like how the film works with the memories that you bring to it of ordained it if you are a fan of his work. And I think one of the one of the things one of the ways that does that is how it evokes place. Because I was talking about how in something like Parts Unknown that you know he he in the Cook's Tour, he was really the location. It's culture, it's history really had a great bearing on his thinking about the cuisine and the connection between those things. And I think you get to that place in this movie. You get that place when he you know, brings back the clam bake, brings back this old tradition that had been kind of had fallen by the wayside, and I think, you know, all of that stuff kind of comes into into play, and that that passion that was sort of that germinating and developing in this place, that comes into play, and I guess I kind of buy that he was a bit of an amateur at this point. I mean that, you know, I don't know, does the does Kitchen Confidential get into his struggles and cracking open in an oyster? I don't know what it does.
Speaker 2: That's one of the things is that he has been cracking open oysters since he was eight years old. Okay, Like the summer in France, he like became obsessed with oysters. He has that, as you said, very beautiful line where they taste like the future. And it's like that summer in France that he's eating everything, becomes obsessed with food and realizes like that he knows he wants that to be a part of his life. So then we get to the chapter where like he's in college, there's no mention of like a writing fellowship or anything like that. But he and his friends are all renting a house together in Provincetown. He gets there, he doesn't have a job, and one of his friends gets him a dishwashing job, and then we sort of set off on like the kitchen. He doesn't really know what he's doing. He has to learn various tasks in the kitchen and learned how to use coke yes.
Speaker 3: Which just you know, one of one of my big impressions of like reading reading Kitchen Confidential and then kind of graduating to reading a bunch of the short articles he had been writing at the time, was discovering what kitchen culture was like, and he wrote a lot about drug abuse and how ubiquitous it is in especially high end kitchens, and the kind of you know, fairly obscene, often very personal banter that goes on in this movie. I mean that those parts that I certainly recognized, and the idea of this is an origin story for Anthony Bourdain early coke fiend. Yeah, was actually pretty funny to make it. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean that the Leo Woodhall characterists fascinating that relationship because it's like he looks at this guy who you know, works hard and plays hard, and the play hard part of it is inspiring to him in a way too that it's ends up being quite negative. I'd be just like a guy who is so smooth and can walk into a party and immediately hook up with somebody and you know, and has all the access to all of these drugs. I mean, there's something kind of intoxicating to him in a way that would end up that end up being sort of destructive. But it is a part of the story. I mean, I think, you know, that's another kind of bold thing that this movie does, and I think it sets itself up, of course by the quote I guess that opens the movie about something that Bordaina wrote about himself at this point that he was, you know, kind of an asshole, but like wasn't it.
Speaker 3: It was something about how he was, you know, an arrogant idiot who needed a good ask something. And then you just see that like played out for two hours and it is great.
Speaker 1: I'm happy. That's so accurate that this movie does that. You know, that that that that allows him to be that that way that it doesn't give you too you know, egregious or redemptive arc And I think it kind of accomplishes a lot of that through well domin excesses performance, which is which is he's just a magnetic performer and in Somebody, I think you kind of stick with like you do in the in the Holdovers. But I think the other part of it is I think the film is really funny. That helps a lot too. You know. I think that you kind of get caught up in the banter and in the in the action and in the sort of like they seem like a bunch of rascals really, you know, they even though they are doing doing things that like your relationship to the rascals, you know. And I think, but I think it's like it's easier to kind of like, Okay, the film can fully acknowledge some massive shortcomings on the part of Tony Boordain in this movie, but it's palatable. You never feel like alienated from this character, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the thing for me is that, like I was not looking for Bordain as he is as an adult, and I was not necessarily looking for a nice or likable character. I think there were two things that came down for me. I don't think the romance is necessary in any way, and I actually think that's the most like cliched biopic part of this is the sense that like this character has to come into shark focus through a romance. To me, I think what is most interesting and is most interesting in Kitchen Confidential is exactly what you're talking about, Scott. That like he falls in love with the kitchen, as Tasha said earlier, like he falls in love with the vibe of the dynamic, the bros, the stuff they can get away with, the bond, Like all of that stuff is I think what is really compelling in the book and in this film. And I just felt like everything with the romance felt really tertiary and really tacked on and really unnecessary. So that was like a big problem for me. But I think something that I liked, and maybe the closest thing where I felt like, oh, that's Bordaane, is that Matt Johnson builds in these moments where we just see Bordain watching people and observing behavior. There is a moment where Leo Woodall's character shoots up and Boordain is just watching him do this, and there's like a little bit of uncomfortable like voyeurism to that. But I liked it as like, this character right now, in this moment of his life, is a sponge both for good things like everything Antony Banderris's character is trying to teach him, and for like self destructive awful things like heroin. So I think that part of it is really good, and I do like that Matt Johnson like allows us the time to spend in those moments.
Speaker 3: I like the romance and the way it's handled because to me, it's not an aspirational romance, and it's not Maybe this is just my read on it, but it's not something that we're meant to buy into as actually romantic or as even something that we're rooting for. Like there was no point at which I was rooting for Tony to to finally get with Nancy. The fact that his idea of game is to crash at gathering that she's having other friends, like right before they leave town, and to just like spout the longest words he can think of and then be condescending about them. He's just kind of an extension of what Bordain himself has already told you that he's like young Callow and an asshole. The setup. This is a small aside, but the setup of him bragging to his friend about the committee that's going to grant the writing fellowship and how dumb they are and how easily he buffaloed him, and how he has no interest in writing and he promptly doesn't get it. Is such a perfect setup for the gap between how he sees himself and how the world sees him. And I see that extended very very well and at length into his relationship with Nancy, who he's kind of inarticulately stumbling after he finds out that she's already got a boyfriend, which of course she does, and it wrecks him. He keeps making terrible decisions because he's following his dick around just just hopefully just you know, a dog after a bone, or after his own bone. Later they bone. That's a little deep cut, Scott Scott Tobias referentialism for you there. So the fact that you know it's this quote unquote romance is just kind of for most of the movie being held up as one of the many things he's dumb about and doing dumb things about the fact that he doesn't try to see Nancy as a person or communicate with her as a person. He just keeps trying ploise, like when he says to her, I want you to photograph me because I like the way I feel when you look at me. Is a little closer to honesty, and it gets him a little closer to her. But it's also a line. It's also a game. As we see throughout at least the first half of the film, every time they come together, everything he tells her is a lie. And when he sees her naked and just truth vomits all over her and she immediately makes it clear this ain't happening. I love her for that. I love her for standing up for herself, for recoiling from from all of these lies, And in that moment, that might be the first moment where I actually like him, for being unable to continue the web of lies he's spun to get to this moment. So, you know, I definitely don't think there are a couple for the ages, and I don't think you're supposed to root for them as a couple or even as a one time thing. I just kind of love what they bring out about each other. You know, the places where she is vulnerable despite being you know, smart and clever and popular and desired and beautiful the places where he's dumb and inept. My favorite thing in the movie is the relationship between Tony and Sal and the degree to which that is driven by sex and Sal's seemingly effortless success at everything and Tony just stumbling after him, emulating everything he does past a certain point, obviously hungering to be him, until he comes up up against that wall of watching him shoot up and then just has to stumble away. I love the dynamic. I love the relationship there, and I think that romance is the emotional heart of the film, even more so than you know, than Tony's relationship with uh, with the chef or with Nancy.
Speaker 1: That's bold, really, I mean, I I think I think I'm kind of with you, because I do. I do think that character, the sole character, is really a strong one in all the ways. That's to articulate, but I do. But boy, Antonio Benderas is so good in this though, and I think there's I think there's so much complexity to that relationship, to that to that mentor protege relationship, because I think it does end up cutting both ways, and that the chef does need another kick in the pants is kind of given up, as you know, is in a position where he can run this restaurant and make it okay and and sort of needs a little bit of inspiration. But at the same time, you know, he's playing with fire because he's he's he's taking on this combustible talent who literally he lights his restaurant on fire ultimately at the end, so he ends up paying for it and betrays him in different ways. I think it's fascinating round me again of just how good Antonio Benderos is as an actor. As if we need any more reminders, I thought this in the last Amadovar film that he did, Glory. Yes, I think that's just a top drawer. Yeah, amadov of Ar film. You know my maybe my favorite Bendera's performance ever. And I think a lot of that soul he brings to this movie. I think it's just one of those things where sometimes an actor ages and that age just plays so beautifully. You know, all that experience just just you know, in his ability to just act confidently and within character on screen, and there's just in bringing all that, all of those years of acting and living into a role. I think that does a lot for this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think he's aged into someone that is really fascinating, and that sort of like embraces being that elder statesman. Again, I'm gonna be like very pedantic and annoying and say that something else that I liked about the Kitchen Confidential chapters and why it felt to me like those chapters were helpful and understanding who Bordain becomes down the line is he does talk a lot about like the Portuguese cultural elements of Provincetown and how like the restaurant that he was working at, like there was this Portuguese stew that they would make all the time, and like there was a very distinct impact of that food cuisine on like what people were eating at the time. There is this part of me that is like you could have said that Antonio Banderas's character was Portuguese, and you could have included like a little bit more about that cultural element, but then I think it runs into the question of, like you cast Antonio Banderas and he's Spanish, he's not Portuguese, Like all these other elements would come out of that. But I just remember reading those aspects of those chapters and thinking like he was being exposed through the summer in France and through like the Portuguese cooking tradition into seeing like other parts of the world as food destinations with like very distinct relationships between the people who lived there and the food they ate. So again, I just I wish there was like a little bit more of that texture, I think to that relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think I think if I recall that, I feel like I saw and reason maybe wrote in my review itself that that identifying the chef is Portuguese. But I think that does feel like outside information that got in is stuff that really isn't either isn't in the movie or is in the movie in a.
Speaker 2: Way, I think sal says something either Sal or Stavi says something like, we don't know where he came from. He might be Spanish, he might be Portuguese, we don't know anything about his past, we don't even know his name, and it just becomes this sort of like mythical figure rather than someone who has like specific teristics.
Speaker 3: I thought, to me very much felt like set up, like surely there's going to come a time when we find out all of this stuff, like when he unburdens himself to the protagonist and only the protagonist. And I actually kind of like that they kept him mysterious, like I think if they tried to pin that down too and then he became this specific influence on Anthony Boordian's cooking and palette, that would have gone into that like walk hard area a little bit where it might have been just like a little too on the nose in terms of and here's the origin story of Indiana Jones hat, and here's how he got the whip, and here's how he got the scar, and you know, blah blah blah. So I'm I'm fine with keeping that vague. Also, you know, if it means that you get Antonio banderis in there, he's He has just been a really long time favorite of mine. A few episodes back, we talked about Chiwateel Edgy four and just like following his career and how strong he is and like what a presence he is whenever he should up. And Antonio Barondaris has also been that for me. I think maybe since Desperado, which I can directly credit to like me personally discovering Pedro Motavars. Like backwork, I was just kind of like chasing Antonio banderas movies after that. So yeah, I like how he's aged into this sort of you know, snarky, knowledgeable character emeritus who can be very you know, still having some of that intensity that he had in his youth, but keeping it banked the way he does here. You know, there's a lot under the surface without him having to blow up much except when he does. Oh the moment when when he just says, I liked you, You're the sin eater. Yeah, instead of blowing up. Such a good moment in the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think I think the movie benefits from Like, I like the dynamic between Beers and Cess, and I think Sessa's for a young actor, has a has a nice amount of restraint as well. I think, I mean, this is a character who is overconfident in brash, but I don't feel like he overplays any any of that. He's he's an actor who uses confidence, uh certainly, and but doesn't doesn't overdo it. It feels it kind of their dynamic feels you know, kind of lived in and right tonally. I mean, it's funny to think about this film in terms of we talk about walk Hard and about the bio pick. It's like, just for this film just to avoid a lot of those things gives it so much credit beyond what it actually does. But but I think, you know, as I was saying before, I think you do have that memory of Bordain I think does inform your experience of this movie, and I think it, and I think the movie knows that it plays with that, and then of course gives you this ending where Eric Repair shows up, you know, as part of this is board at the Hulinary Institute, and it's like, you know, I guess it's if you know, you know. But but but I think this film does kind of count on you knowing or rewards you knowing about Portain and allowing those feelings that you might have for him and his journey to kind of, you know, feed into your impression of him at this time and you know where he's going, you know.
Speaker 3: I looked up the quote from Kitchen Confidential and he describes himself as a spoiled, miserable, narcissistic, self destructive, and thoughtless young lout badly in need of a good ass kicking. And I feel like a lot of this movie is about watching him get his ass kicked, and that's you know, there's really just like breaking bad levels of I don't necessarily like or root for anybody in this story, but that's what makes it fascinating that that's what makes the relationships interesting, and that's kind of what makes it okay to watch him getting his ass kicked by life over and over and over, whether he's literally getting beaten up, dumped in the street and then and then robbed by sl two seconds later tell chef, oh yeah, he got wrong, without without copying of the fact that he's the one that did it to you know, the endless water dumpings and you know, his his one little stab at improving the restaurant coming down so disastrously. Like this movie starts with him in a very obnoxious place and then is about watching him like get his ass kicked until he's capable of listening to other people. How can you not find that at least some satisfying.
Speaker 1: Indeed, well, we have we have a lot more to talk about with relation to Tony, but we also want to bring rid Atuei back into the conversation, so we'll do that, but first we're going to take a break before we get the connections. The next pressure show is presented by Regal Unlimited All you can Watch Movie subscription pass that pays for itself and just two visits. As we're recording this, the summer movie season has slowed down a little after The Odyssey and Spider Man Brand New Day, but August is secretly a great month to catch up on big movies that you missed, or take a chance on possible gems like the nude Greg Iraqi comedy I Want Your Sex, or Tony the Anthony Bourdain Coming of Age film that's part of recurrent pairing. So don't think about August as the dog days of movie summer, but a month where you can really get use out of a Regal Unlimited subscription. With Regal Unlimited, you pay one monthly fee to see as many standard two D movies as you want, with no blackout dates and no restrictions. We have a discount code to make the cost of watching all the movies you want to see even cheaper. When you sign up for Regal Unlimited using the next Picture show code next pick twenty six, you get fifteen percent off in All you can Watch Movie pass with no blackout dates or restrictions, plus ten percent off all non an alcoholic sessions. Just open the regal app or follow the link in this episode's description and use next pick twenty six to receive your discount. That code is n e x t p C twenty six.
Speaker 3: You know what, I'm sorry, brother, you're cook help me flight these.
Speaker 1: You bea help me out. I'm behind, Please.
Speaker 3: Jesus nicely live.
Speaker 1: Job rerookiating me. Now it's time for connections, when we bring these two films together, talk about all the things they have in common. Tasha, what do you got for us here?
Speaker 3: I guess I was thinking when I kind of giggled at the end of that talking about how you can't help but love a guy who deserves an ass kicking getting one. I giggled because I thought, you know, everything that I said about Ratitui just being an example of the character wants something you can't have it, want something you can't have it, wants something he can't have it, gets it kind of cycle. Tony's almost the exact opposite. Tony is, I don't want this. I don't want this. I don't want this. Okay, Finally the ass kicking stops because I've stopped being such a douche that I deserve it. I think it's interesting that the protagonist in one of these movies knows from the very start, maybe not that he wants to be a chef, but just kind of like what he wants. He wants to be in the world of cuisine and cookie. He wants to be doing amazing things with food, and he wants other people to recognize that. He wants to be able to share it with somebody, he wants to be able to talk to somebody about it. And Tony really doesn't get to that place until the very end of the movie. To some degree he does over the Lobster Thermidor, but again we're back to he just wants to get laid. He just wants to impress me.
Speaker 1: It's get two words with one stone, Tasha.
Speaker 3: He anyway, Yeah, just their character arcs are very different, and I think that it's interesting that we're given this impression that I think that it's interesting that we're giving this impression that Remy is just so exceptional, like such a proggy in his skill with smelling, his skill with tasting, his skill with invention, with instinctively understanding what things go together, and we don't ever get that with Tony at all. There's nothing that says he is particularly suited for this work, Like even his big innovation, his big like trying to get laid an effort comes from a cookbook and from tradition and leaning on this well established dish. So I think it's interesting that ultimately Ratitui is about a character that's good at something finally being allowed to do it and finally being acknowledged for it, whereas Tony is much more like the world of gourmet cooking needs Remy and doesn't know it. The world of cooking in general and restaurants doesn't need Tony. He's just another guy. It's about what it brings to him as opposed to what he brings to it. It's about him finding a passion as opposed to having a passion that he's not allowed to express. So you know, unless you try, count trying to get with Nancy as the passion that he really really wants to express and doesn't get to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I don't even think not to say that to me, he didn't feel like he had passion, But it felt like a movie to continue your thought Tasha, about like this man needs to get his ass kicked, a movie about like Tony getting disciplined in a certain way, like facing consequences and facing like, you know, real effects of his actions and realizing like, oh I like this actually, like it's probably good that someone in some aspect of the universe is putting me in my place. Like, I feel like there's also an element here. You know, we haven't really talked about the bear, but there is a little bit of an element of like me thinking a lot about like the Richie arc while watching this movie, like someone who is like an outsider in an asshole and thinks he's a little bit better than everybody else and thinks all this is a little bit beneath him, and then realizes like there's something in the routine, the pattern, talking to people, being in a communal space, all of that has an effect on him.
Speaker 1: Forks, it's the Forks, it's the.
Speaker 3: Forks art and giving people what they want and what they need and making them feel special. Yeah, you know, as some aspects that aren't just about the food, but about about the presentation and the place of food and culture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you think about these two characters really both have kind of the similar starting space, and that they haven't worked in the kitchen before and they're starting from the bottom, and one of them is having to do it in secret because he's a rat. But there is no chance if Remy is given the kind of opportunity that Tony has given that he would not seize upon it in a way that was with a tremendous amount of passion and discipline and drive. And of course there is that past vivity to Tony as a guy whose motives are not, you know, to be a great, great chef. That's not something he's thinking about. It's something he has to be, you know, as you say, sort of beaten. It has to be sort of beaten and disciplined into him, or he has to have these moments of revelation where it's like, wait a minute, actually this is something that's exciting, and he sort of falls into it that way, rather than push it, rather than asserting himself in the way that Remy does.
Speaker 3: Remy is also a character, I mean, apart from needing to cook, needing to express himself, he needs somebody to talk to, He needs somebody who he can reflect ideas off of. And the fact that he ends up with this like little imaginary Gusto in his head because he can't talk to his family at all. I can't talk to other humans. Is kind of low key a tragedy along the lines of the Toys and Toy story. Being immortal and desperately all desperately hungering for the love and intention of people who grow up. He has this giant unmet need that even by the end, is only kind of partially met. You know, he never learns to speak human. He still can't communicate with his partners except with you know, thumbs up and whatnot. Whereas Tony pushes people away with his words, he's just he's a giant cloud of talking and not listening, of lying to get his way to can just kind of like putting everything he can out there to try to make people impressed with him. His constant lying about being out here on a fellowship and you know, being selected to write his great novel, which is no interest in and being a writer, not a not a chef or not not a cook or not someone who works at a restaurant. But they're both very lonely characters. They just express it in radically different ways and with radically different results.
Speaker 1: Tasha Guy, I guess I'm stuck on the toy story thing. About the about the about the tragic immortality of those toys. That justasha not correct. She is she is correct. I mean, and I think I think maybe uh Woodies, uh you know hairline in Toy Story five is affected my thinking on that, but it is it is something. It is what a terrible what a terrible life it is for these poor toys?
Speaker 3: Uh who are who have you just not dipped into a toy story? Like people have been writing about this since the first one. I know, I recently rewatched all of them after watching five, so it's kind of top of mind again as things that people talk about when they're talking about Pixar.
Speaker 2: It's very replicant coded to me, you wouldn't believe the things I've seen. Yeah, I like that. I do like the idea of Remy and Tony both being very lonely because I think that feeds nicely into the there responding to kitchen culture. I think it's a little bit more Linguini that's responding to like the feel of being in the kitchen and like doing the things and being responsible for something that's part of like what everybody else is doing. But those are really my favorite scenes of Tony are like the chaos of everybody working together, like Antonio banderis yelling out orders, the chaos of opening the oyster shells and like dropping the fries, all that stuff. I mean, that's the stuff that I loved from the Bear, like throughout the five seasons, just the process. And I do think that there is like a very nice focus on process in Tony that is similar to like BlackBerry and how interested Matt Johnson felt in BlackBerry about like how this stuff actually works. I think there's a very nice question of like how does this actually work in Tony that takes us back to Ratitui and the explanation of like your station and why you should be proud of it, and like what everybody does and how we parcel this all out. Like that sort of organization I think is very nicely mirrored between them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the other kind. One of the other really big connections there it's worth talking about is kitchen culture and how it's sort of reflected in both films because those spaces are so different in the expectation that people bring to those spaces those restaurants is vastly different, because you know, you have, you know, the flagship, which is you know, I think understood as a mediocrity is not you know, not you know, kind of the sort of tourist seafood that you get to these types of towns, right, not not not a place that this is that that actually houses a chef who's capable of more. Whereas Gusteau Gusseau's is, you know, an institution and a great deal is expected of it and and uh it is being of course sold out by the current chef and his kind of commercial aspirations. But what do you end up with in these two movies are too vastly different spaces that that nonetheless do have an order, do you know, people do have jobs and and uh, and they are kind of doing the same tasks in their in their stations, but in uh, at the Flagship, it's it's a tight space, so it's it's really chaotic. Gusta's as much more a professional operation, is kind of compromised as it is as much as they've been leaning on dishes that are maybe getting a little bit dated and needing a bit of inspiration. The process is very you know, exact and professional and what you would expect from from a restaurant like.
Speaker 2: That, obviously there's no moment in the family friendly Ratitui where a character has sex with a new bride who is visiting the restaurant, which was such a random moment in Tony. But he's from Kitchen Confidential, so I liked that that was in there.
Speaker 1: Yes, Sal Sald keeps delivering.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sal just keeps on going his little door notch thing. It's again, when when we're talking about like character beats that are not verbally explained, you're just expected to be watching and paying attention and take it in. I really like that one. It's not a notch on the bedpost, it's a notch on the doorframe. And then the fact that Tony later uses it to kind of a kil Ry esque Wait, has Sal been here?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Need I need to not mess around in here? Sal's been here. I think it's also just kind of fun, though, that the two restaurants in these movies are moving in opposite directions. You know, in Rabitui, we've got a former Michelin star restaurant that's on the decline and the chef is selling out on the side with all of these fast food sponsorship spin offs. In Tony, we've got you know, this former Michel insur star chef who is now making fast food but by the end of the movie is back on the rise and back to improving is food. And the fact that we've kind of got two different things that are the same arc but in the opposite direction. I think it's just kind of fun to me, especially given the protagonist part in both of those kind of being like, let's push back towards quality in spite of the opposite direction issue.
Speaker 2: Tasha, do you feel like both movies are saying like rustic food is superior.
Speaker 3: I don't know if Flopster thermodor accounts as well.
Speaker 2: I was thinking of the cookout because it feels like the coke out. I feel like the cookout is what inspires bend Erris's character to like give it another go.
Speaker 1: So did you say rustic or local rustic? But I'm just saying, like you feel like emphasis, Yeah, I think that is. The emphasis is like getting what is the essence of this space that's being you know, evoked in these movies, I think, But I think it's it is interesting that I think that's almost kind of a trick in a way, or like like an incredible a feat that Remy is pulling by taking, as you say, a rustic dislike Ratituiot and elevating it or making it something special and something that triggers memories and this sort of thing that another connection I guess we should get into is the creation of special dishes in these movies, Like they're so pivotal to both stories of the creation of Ratituis as the climactic dish and then the lobster humadore that Tony inspires Chef to try to execute at the restaurant.
Speaker 3: I think it's fun that both of these movies kind of have a montage moment of we're creating this one special dish for this one person to impress them. That immediately metastasizes into Okay, everybody in the restaurant wants that now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because then everybody, like all the lobster thermodore orders are coming in. It's just like I just felt like lobster thermidore was the downfall, which is why I keep thinking about like the cookout as the rise, like the communal quality of the cookout, the fact that everybody comes back together.
Speaker 1: Oh, I like your.
Speaker 2: Read Tasha on like Tony and Saul, because sal comes back he thinks him and Tony are like doing this all for fake and like ripping everybody off. And there's the very nice moment where Tony and south stare at each other and sal realizes like, oh, Tony was never gonna be the kid that would do that, And that felt like a very important turning point too. Maybe it's just because I wanted to eat the cookout food, but I just the cookout felt like, you know, you screwed up with the Thermidor. You let your ego get in the way, you burn down this restaurant. And where we're turning to something like simpler that has like a tradition here that people want to eat. People want to eat. It feels like the most important connection point, as you were saying, like people see it and they want to eat it. The ratituey and just these like basic paper plates of like lobster and core and all these delicious looking things. That's what people want.
Speaker 3: That's just the idea of eating lobster off a paper plate on a sandy beach with a lobster on top of a huge pile of other food is so intersting.
Speaker 2: You're gonna eat so much sand, there's gonna be so much sand on more food.
Speaker 3: I kept thinking about that. I'm just like, we're supposed to We're supposed to be like eating with our eyes since we can't eat this with their mouths. But all my eyes are seeing is like all of that food has like a good tablespoon of sand.
Speaker 2: There's a Top Chef episode where they had to like cook out I think in Hawaii on the beach and there was like one team that built their fire wrong, so sand kept getting like in the food and it was exactly what you're discussing, Tasha, where the judges are just like, I'm just eating sand. There's nothing I.
Speaker 1: Can do about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just I just expect that from like any food, any food or activity that's that happens on the beach, and it's portrayed as romantic, romantic, like don't even get me started on from here to eternity and making out in the spray scene, it's just sand, sand all the way down. And they all they both taste like salt.
Speaker 1: You want to evoke the sand and surf without actually taste to get it happen your mouth. Very tricky thing. I'm really to trust that they get it right. And this client bake, this is a this is but who knows.
Speaker 3: I think that the observation about rural food is really smart and something that I had overlooked. But it's certainly yeah, it's it's something that hadn't occurred to me, maybe because what I took away from kind of the comparison there was if I see a message in common with the two of these these movies. I mean, on one level, it's anyone can cook. Is that that repeated line is kind of paralleled with Bendera's telling the Tony character you could be anything you want, but what you are right now is nothing, which seems like the most t shirtable moment in the film. He is saying like you could take your skills and do anything with them anywhere, and that just feels a lot like like anyone can cook. So I think that is a parallel. But for me, in terms of like bigger messaging for the films, it's maybe more about tasting food is something you can only do by yourself, like nobody else can taste that food for you. And yet in both of these movies, eating with community is so vitally important. Remy. The whole scene where Remy tries to convince his brother Emal to slow down and taste the food and think about it and think about how it combines, and we get those little abstract squiggles that characterize how Remy tastes food. Trying to form around a meal is he tries to taste the food. For me, that experience of like we've put the lobster thermidor on your table and now we're gonna watch you try it. We've brought you to the camp clam back and we're going to eat together as a social community thing. Seeing the restaurant at the end with anton Ego there surrounded by people who are willing to try something new and forgive the rat in the kitchen, like it's all about community. It's all about experiencing the very singular solo pleasure with other people, even though you can't you can't share the sensation, but at least you can share, like the company and the shared experience.
Speaker 1: So have you all made or had ratitui? Because I I did the three hour ratatouy three or four hours, and it is the perfect choice for this movie, is a dish because because it would be something that would inspire a restaurant full of people to order it. It is. It is. It fills your home with with strong, earthy herby smells you cannot miss. It is not a shy dish at all in terms of the way it's it smells. And I think it's it's it's very good, but like it's perfect that it's that that's the dish that they settled on. And of course and then of course obviously has the the word rat in it, which also works. But but I think I think it's I think it is, uh, you know, it is. It is something that you can make in your kitchen like I did, and then you could do it in an elevated way, which was which is done in the movie. And it's it's kind of it's kind of like the perfect dish for them to settle on in every possible way. I have no experience with lobster humidor though, so I can't speak to that.
Speaker 2: All I was gonna say is, like addition to Tasha's reed, is it all just feels to me like intention Like Tony realizes in this summer that like he is being an asshole because everything he's doing is like reactionary and crappy and there isn't real thought or deliberation behind it, and I feel like that's part of this too, Like you're doing things to a certain degree instinctively, like you're tasting things and you're deciding what it needs on the fly, but everything is like a thought process that you are working through. And I really like that aspect of it with Tony and with him sort of like settling into the kitchen and becoming more confident and putting more thought into his actions. I think again, and like we do see that. I do want to give Matt Johnson credit for that, and of course we see it in Ratituey, but so much of the time we're seeing it from like inside the toke, and so it's just it's an interesting way to think about like perspective as well, and what these two movies are doing differently in terms of like they're both being deliberate, they're both thinking things through, but you're getting very different like visual perspectives in an interesting way.
Speaker 3: To speak to the recipe for Ratituey, I did go home and look it up immediately after watching this movie for the first time. I took one look at it and said, oh, here's something I'm never gonna make, and I'm never gonna understand why somebody would appreciate us. I don't much care for stewed vegetables, like yes, as a stew per se I've pulled up one right here, and it just says at the top like it's a dish of stewed vegetables. I don't care for like squash or eggplant cooked and til they're soft, like like cooked tomatoes. Cooked tomatoes make a really excellent like thickener or like element in a stew ard chili, but like as a main part of the dish, their texture. Not a fan.
Speaker 1: Of do you like time?
Speaker 3: I wish I had more of them.
Speaker 1: That's good stuff. No, it's just I don't know that that flavor of roasted vegetables at the time. I don't really think about it as even though it does. You do get yourself into soft eggplunt that is part of it, but oh boy, the time, so it's it's roasted for any roasting it for hours an hour. As Tasha, I.
Speaker 3: Also hate cooked bell pepper. I think fresh raw bell pepper is amazing and I will eat them like apples, but cooked bell pepper is slimy, and any dish with it just.
Speaker 2: Tastes like that so Iranian food is very stew based, so all of these like cooked vegetables, I'm like, oh, yeah, that's familiar.
Speaker 3: I really like Iranian food as long as it isn't like two egg plants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we do have some words too much eggplant, but yeah, I feel you.
Speaker 1: But the god the.
Speaker 3: Spice profile of of Iranian food is chef's kiss. I like it better than I like the spice profile of French food. Sorry, Paris, which makes the best food on the world, in the world as far as Rattitui is concerned.
Speaker 2: That time.
Speaker 3: Even roasted time. Yeah, and Middle Eastern, Middle Eastern food and Asian food are one I go to faves. So like almost all European cooking by comparison, kind of kind of taste plan to me.
Speaker 1: Sorry, are we drifting into talking about food?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're doing. We're doing the did we feel hungry while watching these movies? And now we're just listing foods we would eat?
Speaker 3: So yes, I literally put that on our connections because there are a couple more connections I do want to get to, so I don't want to consider this the exit thing. But Roxana did say something like early on about I think in this half a conversation about just the conversation making her hungry, And like, I'm also not a big seafood fan and I'm definitely not an Oysters fan. So everything going on in Tony did not tempt me from like a palette perspective. It tempted me just from a passion and interest perspective. The food and ratitui for the most part, Like, I love the visualization of the ratitue itself and how we get to see what it looks like in its natural state versus what it looks like in this heightened chef state. I think the presentation in getting to see how they got to it is really fun and a really cool visual But it didn't make me hungry. Like, maybe the only thing in the movie that really made me feel like, ooh would like some of that is the point where Colette is talking about bread and the perfect bread sound. So I'm curious if either of these movies did make you hungry.
Speaker 2: I generally am hungry most of the time.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you're not a character actor, that is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: No, well, I guess I would be a character actor because we could eat all the food they did. But I do think there's something interesting to your point. I think Ratituy is more interested in making the food look good and in convincing us that, like Remy is onto something and like his guidance of Linguini is taking the food to an elevated level. I think that there is like a focus on when they're doing the Graton style Ratituy just like how beautiful everything looks, the steam, the plating, all of that. And Yeah, what we're talking about with Tony is like, I don't think food necessarily is the draw for Tony the character, so it becomes less of a draw for us. And I don't think there is as much focus on making it look like super aptizing so much as reflecting the skill and effort it required. All of that being said, I still yes, I still would, I still want the food. I still was.
Speaker 1: Is this something like is it kind of almost like the big night scale, like what you know it's like or just something like there's certain movies where it's like, yeah, okay, the food is definitely it's you know, there's a pornographic quality to this food that's coming out. Uh that isn't quite I mean, you don't get an either film a Big Night level of like, oh my god, this ridiculous meal that's being made and consumed here, and that everybody's umming and eyeing over that. That that that that experience is a little bit more limited. Obviously, anton egos reaction to the ratitui is critically important to the film and and certainly speaks to the to the flavor and and and you do at least get a little bit of an impression that that the lobster is going over well before the kitchen starts to burn down. But but it is. But I think in terms of food itself being you know, kind of in itself alluring aspect of both of these films, like like in the same way it would be in a film like Big Night or Bebet's Feast or something like that, not quite as much, type of right, not quite as much in this It's just not quite on the agenda in either one of these movies.
Speaker 3: You know what movie kind of took me out of the film because I wanted the food on screen so badly. Crazy rich Asians scene where they're at a street market kind of place and have just ordered a table full of food, and I don't think I heard a single word anybody said in that scene, they're just like, you know, blah blah blah, like, get back to the food.
Speaker 2: Where are the doubling?
Speaker 3: Give me the interior looked amazing in that sequence.
Speaker 1: Yes, Okay, I figured out the bottom of the scale. I've done it. Okay, Okay, it's the it's the cook the thief's wife. Okay.
Speaker 3: I would also like put in the crispy crust on the dish served at the end in cook fee five flov still pretty tempting.
Speaker 1: Not gonna lie, well, yeah to you know, proceed with caution.
Speaker 3: One thing about these movies that is honestly a very small thing but stuck with me with both of them, because I just feel like it's unusual storytelling and is interesting in its accuracy, is that both of them kind of portray the kitchen as an itinerant place in a way that I think is really true to actual kitchen culture. At the end of the movie Ratatui, the whole staff walks out. They're just like, we're not going to deal with this rat or we're not going to deal with your delusions. It's unclear which of those is the response, but either way, they're out of there and they don't come back. We only get this. I went back and rewatched this a couple of times because I wanted to be sure. We only get the slightest hint of who's actually working the kitchen in the new Ratitui restaurant and Linguini's waiting tables, collettes in the kitchen, Remy's in the kitchen. That's all we see. There's no indication that any of those chefs came back. And Tony sal sal like walks out after punching chef after being you know, we offered a pretty lenient punishment compared with being fired. He has his blow up and he leaves and he never comes back. Instead, he tries to rob and defraud the guy, and just the idea of kitchens being a place where very rarely do people stay long. You know, there's a lot of movement between kitchens in the industry, something that Bourdain called out in Kitchen Confidential. There's just there's a lot of fluidity between the places that people work and seeing that reflected in different ways in both of these movies in ways that kind of set you up for a classic. And here's the big feel good moment where everybody comes back and like the group that we saw working together earlier is reunited happily for happily ever after. Like that doesn't happen, and iither with these movies, the people who leave leave and the people who stay like get on with their lives, because it's not about the specifics of the people nearly as much as it is about the continuity of the food well.
Speaker 1: And also the focus is on individuals though too. I mean like it's much more important for us to know to the arc we're following, is that that of Remies and that of Tony, not so much the fate of the restaurant itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I do feel like there is something very realistic about reflecting that turnover. Like we have a casual friend who is a sue and I think in the past two years he's worked at like three places, including like helping open a place that eventually went under, and now I think it's like his third place in this period of time. Like, on the one hand, like you helped open a place, you developed a menu, like you obviously spent a ton of time doing it, and then when it was time to go, you went and you found something else. So there is sort of that transferability of skills that I think is like on display here, maybe less so with Sal because we see that he's like working on the docks with his heroin connect and that's very concerning to me actually, But that also, I mean that also has talked about in Kitchen Confidential that like, you know, the rampant drug use in kitchens at that time, like sometimes people left and you knew that they weren't coming back because they passed away. And I do think that there is I don't think Tony is like super explicit with what's going to happen with Sel, but I do think again, like lingering on the heroin introducing this character now being at the point where he wants to, you know, like Rob Chef, I think there are indications there of like a reality in this industry. Ratitude obviously is not going to go there. But I appreciated that Tony was not like super romanticizing what the job is. Either.
Speaker 3: Yes, sow the likelihood that Sal dies of a heroin overdose like in the next five years seems relatively high, but so does the idea that he may just continue to I was going to say fail upward, but he doesn't fail that's why Tony is so drawn to him. It's just it's kind of effortless for him wherever he goes, and I feel like the only reason he isn't in a higher position is that he just doesn't care enough.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: As long as he's got drug money and food money which he might get by, you know, via petty theft or fraud or whatever, he feels like he's doing fine. He's got what he needs. And seeing that as a model, I guess goes up against the you could be anything you want to be, but you're nothing. You know. He he is what he wants to be. He's the handsome guy. He's welcome everywhere he goes, and you know, gets laid and gets paid. That seems to be the limit of what he wants. So putting that up against Tony's kind of wanting to be respected maybe more than anything else, and Remy's like very specific, very passionate desires, it's just kind of interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, first of all, I Tasha to reference to previous point about sal and Tony's relationship with Sally. I do think the film is interesting with regard to what we know about Bordained that he wasn't done, you know, abusing drugs and wasn't out of trouble. But I think there is a moment a thing where he at least recognizes the demon that he's going to be facing with regard to Sal. You know where Sal goes, And I think there is this there is at least this acknowledgment of Sal as a cautionary tale and as a road that he maybe should be wary of, even though he follows that road later a bit later on in his life. So that's something I think that just you know example, I guess of the film that playing with you know, our understanding of the person that that Pordaine would become.
Speaker 3: I think when he sees the the injectable heroin use and just stands there and watches and then walks away very clearly, leaving Sal behind. I think in that moment, he is, shall we say, a rat dessert deserting a sinking ship, Like he recognizes for the first time that this ship is going down and does not want to be on it.
Speaker 1: And then he would bore, He would bore that he'd bore the ship at some point for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he like he teams up with him again for the fundraiser, But I do think that it is sort of like a alliance of necessity at that point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, but I'm just saying later in life, he would like, like, you know, some pretty different, pretty rough drug use definitely be something in his future. I guess that one other thing I have down here, I guess I have to mention it because I put it down. And now I don't know what I was thinking, but maybe we can make sense of it, which is which is like human like rat behavior and rat like human behavior. I think I was thinking that that that rebby as as our human, demonstrates human like behavior, and and that and that Tony is can be rat like at times. But I do I have any Do I have anything else to say beyond that? What was I thinking here?
Speaker 3: Hundred percent know what you were thinking, But I loved this point to the point where I really pushed for you to to bring it up. I do think that. I mean, very early on, we get Emil asking asking Remy why he walks around in his back legs, and yes, yea, to my utter delight, Dad's not gonna like it, you know, because it's because it's human behavior, and like the whole explanation of like, I don't want my food to taste like everywhere my paws have been. I'm tired of washing my pause, so therefore I walk around by peada lely. I think that's a really fun little lamp shading of a thing that he does. Both so you don't have to constantly think about where his paws have been every time he touches food, and a way of like visually distinguishing him in a movie packed with rats. You know, he's a blue color that none of the rest of them are, but he's still often in a crowd of rats, and having a visual like distinctiveness to him, I think is a really good idea. It also anthropomorphizes him more so I think that's fun.
Speaker 1: Well, let me get me. I can do the second half part. I can do the rat like human behavior, because now that we're into this, I think that Tony one thing that humans tend to have when they make their way into the world are resources to live on, and that's something that that's something that Tony runs out of pretty quickly when the bunny he's purloined from his father's wallet runs out and he has to figure out you know, he gets kicked out of the bar and he's got no cash and he has to kind of sort his way through. Then I think that that they that rat like resourcefulness comes into play, and he does what's necessary to survive, and he does he sleeps ends up sleeping in places in a way that a person generally does not want to sleep. Uh, you know it a hammock. IM not to say that rats like to sleep in hammocks, but it is. It's not something that a human is going to want to do for too long a period of time. And I just think generally, you know, there's there's uncompanists. Maybe not a great hygh generally speaking, maybe not. Maybe a lot, not a lot going on with the Tony character. Uh, there's skittering. Maybe he does some skinner I don't know, does he do any skittering?
Speaker 2: They each find their clan, right like they each find their clan, they each surround themselves with like creatures who they realize are aligned with them mentally. What could the skittering be, Scott? What could possibly know?
Speaker 1: I mean, he's on hard woods sometimes. I mean you can see it's hard not to skitter.
Speaker 3: Sure, he does seem very hunched and rat like a lot of the time. One of the one of the aspects of sal showing up and being just so conventionally handsome, you know, so so symmetrical and like all American with his you know, vivid eyes and his blonde hair and whatever. Every time he and down't Access are in the same frame, it looks like Susa is like deliberately stooping and hunching his shoulders both to appear shorter and to some degree toppear more like thinner and more angular or feral. Yeah, yeah, exactly. But but Scott, you hit upon a point that I completely had not thought about. That's actually pretty brilliant. Both of these films very definitely considering stealing and and what it means. Ratitui hitting the point over and over, are we thieves? No, we're not thieves. We're we're taking stuff nobody wants. Now you're taking food that people want. Now your thieves. I'm earned this. I am not a thief. Or maybe I'm a thief and I don't care. Maybe this is what a rat is is, to be a thief versus you know. Basically, the moral debate in Ratitue centers around taking things that aren't yours. Whereas there's just there's no moral debate in Tony just rips off his his father, and Sal turns around and rips him off, and then kind of the big turning point for him is deciding not to steal and Sal maybe like reluctantly, but maybe just with a touch of admiration acknowledging that, no, you're not going to like steal all of this money from this person who needs it to fix the restaurant that you personally destroyed. So yeah, the moral and ethical boundaries of theft and what they mean kind of a theme in both these movies. Congratulations.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I stumbled on that, Tash. I appreciate the word brilliant to describe anything I do, But that was a genius. That would be just like inspector cluesau like just stumbling into it. Uh So. Ratitui is currently streaming on Disney Plus in his rentable in the usual places. It's also available on DVD and Blu Ray. Tony is in select theaters. Now we'll be right back with your Next Picture Show. Finally, it's time to recommend a film or film related item that compliments the set of episodes. We call it your Next Picture Show. And the hopes that will put something interesting on your radar. Rock Sanna, we were we're we've seen some some Matt Johnson films. He's scorching hot right now. Uh, one of which was is pretty relevant to the one we're talking about, because he does have some experience with fact based, uh storytelling. What BlackBerry? What do you think of BlackBerry?
Speaker 2: I really like BlackBerry. I mean I think to me it is sort of like one of the platonic ideals of a process based disaster, and that it really does track with a lot of like I would maybe even call it like succession style Jesse Armstrong style verve visually, you know, the rise of BlackBerry, this technology that like investors didn't understand, nobody grasped, completely changed the way that we live and then, you know, catastrophically failed because they made all the mistakes that like expanding companies with investors who wanted to like make as much money as they can make, they outsourced, you know, how the phones were made. They like cut corners, they skimped, They replaced like the most valuable people in their company. And I think that there is like a real I think like a real like visceral anger about you know, about the story that animates the film, and yeah, it is very like fact based. It is obviously like taken from real life. But I think there is like an interesting relationship with time and that the movie feels very much like a powder keg, although it is spanning years. So I really like the tonality and pacing of it. And Jay Barschell and Glenn Howerton play like very oppositional characters. Glen Howerton as a basically like the deranged sort of businessman that first bankrolled BlackBerry and then basically ruined it, and Jay Barrischell is the CEO who was a genius and was so focused on the science and was innovating everything and then just eventually didn't realize that other competitors were copying what they were doing to more massive scale, essentially the iPhone. So I would say, like, if you if you're sort of interested, I think in Tony's life bros being dudes and how that can both be really good and really destructive, I do think BlackBerry is worth checking out.
Speaker 1: Totally agree. I mean the Glenn, the Glenn Howard and performance in particular is so electric and so funny. Again, both films Tony and BlackBerry benefit so much from Matt Johnson's skill as a director of comedy and and I think you get that element too of just you know, working independently. I think there's there's something kind of uh, you know, Jay Barshell plays somebody who is this genius and is starting from the bottom and this sort of scrappy way, but he doesn't have, you know, the necessary skill or you wouldn't think that necessary to he has to attach himself to this guy who has who has you know, supposedly the business sense to take his idea to the next level to make this into a real company. And and of course it it, you know, is up planting the seeds for the company's ruination. But just a fascinating kind of rise and fall story. But told, you know, as you said, very entertaining film for sure. So I think as a related movie is kind of a supplemental viewing for Tony BlackBerry is a great choice. And I also would of course use this opportunity to just throw in another recommendation for anyone who has not seen Nirvana the Band the Show of the Movie, which was a film that was released earlier this year, even though I think it premiered last year at Toronto. I think just an unbelievably hilarious film that you know, references and plays off of Back to the Future, that, like BlackBerry, is extremely Canadian. It's about the most Canadian thing you've ever seen. So it's at the city of Toronto plays such an important role. It comments on time and time travel and ingenious ways. There's a lot of interesting in corporates, uh you know real there's a there's a stunt involving the sea and tower that's uh incredible and funny and and uh and uh so so there's a lot of love of the city in that as well. So I really just uh, it's a it's a good you know now has been a really kind of good coming out uh party for uh. Matt Johnson is as a as a as a talented uh person, And I think all all, all three of these movies, Tony, BlackBerry, and Dravana The Band Show the Movie are worth your time. That's it for this edition of The Next Picture Show, Tasha, Can you tell us about our next pairing?
Speaker 3: The End of Oak Street is a radical switch up for writer director David Robert Mitchell. The latest from the man behind the Gnarly horror movie that follows the dreamy l a noir Under the Silver Lake and the suburban teen drama. The Myth of the American Sleepover is an ambulance entertainment style throwback adventure movie complete with Dinah and time travel. Ewan McGregor and Anne Hathaway star as a troubled suburban couple raising a pair of teenagers in nineteen eighty two in Flowerville, Michigan, When an inexplicable event inundates their neighborhood with prehistoric plants and predators. The couple have to survive and keep their kids alive, mostly through a series of chases, battles, and stalking sequences as a series of hungry dinos try to make them into lunch. The dark adventure tone, the character dynamics, and the focus on a sudden, incomprehensible invasion making life difficult and possibly very short for a strained family all reminded us a lot of Steven Spielberg's two thousand and five take on War of the Worlds, in which Tom Cruise plays a Brooklyn blue collar worker trying to shepherd his two kids through an alien invasion and reunite them with their mom. His estranged wife. So in our next pairing, we'll compare two different neighborhoods that fall apart in a science fiction crisis and two different families that come together during one.
Speaker 1: For now, we welcome your feedback on Tony Ratituey or anything else film Will Lydy you'd like to talk about email us at comments at next Picture Show Dot debt or leaves a voicemail at seven seven three two three four at nine seven three zero before we close out this week's episode. Where can we find everyone these days? Atasha Robinson you.
Speaker 3: Can still find me recapping dropouts Game Changer over at Vulture. Otherwise it's taken a little bit of a break, and you can find me on Blue Sky occasionally at Tasha Robinson, Roxanna, how about you?
Speaker 2: You can find me at Vulture and you can find me at Blue Sky. It is r O X A N A dash h A d A d I Roxannahdatti and I am still on x Scott what about you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can find me a lot of the time at the reveal of the newsletter I write with Keith Gipps. That's the reveal dot film I just file today. It would be certainly up be up by now a very long piece about one of my favorite August movies, Ricky and the Flash, by Jonathan Demi. So that's there, a bunch of other things. You can also find me at The New York Times, Vulture, Guardian, and other other fine publications. I'm on Blue Sky at Scott Tobias our absent co host, Keith the Course is also at The Reveal and other publications. He is on Blue Sky at k Phipps three thousand, our absent co host, Jim vcosis, a senior TV editor at Vulture. She is almost ever on social media, but you can find her at Genevieve Koski on Blue Sky, and she does posts some dog and garden photos and videos on Instagram sometimes. It's so that's very entertaining, Roxanna, thank you again for joining us. It with such a pleasure. Thank you Eric, such a great guest. So we'll do it again sometime soon. You can stay updated on the Next Picture Show at Next Picture Show dot net and on Blue Sky at the Next Picture Show, get bonus content and open discussion at patreon dot com slash Next Picture Show, and as always, we appreciate your ratings and review use on Apple podcasts or Spotify or wherever you listen to the show. Thanks to Dan the Big Jakes for his assists of producing this podcast. The Next Picture Show is proud to be part of the Film Spotting family of podcasts. Please tune in next time.
Speaker 3: That was a good movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seen here before once