Speaker 1: Now here's a highlight from Coast to Coast AM on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: And welcome back to Coast to Coast George Norri with you were going live to the United Kingdom. Graham Phillips back with us. Who was just with me several months ago as we talked about his latest work called Strange Fate, An Extraordinary true Story of paranormal Discovery. Well, he's got a new one out called The Mystery of Doggerland Atlantis in the North Sea. He's one of Britain's best selling nonfiction authors for forty plus years, has published at least eighteen books worldwide. These include investigations into the death of Alexander the Great, The Secret Life of William Shakespeare, The Mystery of King Arthur. His books also cover his search for historical relics such as the Holy Grail, the Ark of the Covenant, the Staff of Moses. Graham has been described as a historical detective, a modern day adventurer, and a real life Indiana Jones. Graham. Always love having you on the program.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, Oh thanks George, great to be back on again.
Speaker 2: You think the Ark of the Covenants and Ethiopia and that church like everybody says, well, the.
Speaker 3: Real weird thing about the Ark of the Covenant, there seems to have been two of them. There's one that's mentioned being made at Mount Sinai when Moses goes up the mountain and gets the Ten Commandments. That's eventually put into the Jerusalem Temple, which is particular which is specifically built to contain it. That's around about one thousand BC. And then when Solomon, who has the temple built, dies, his two sons end of argain with each other. Are the kingdom breaks in two, and supposedly, according to the Ethiopian tradition, one of the sons of Solomon had a replica arc made put into the temple in order to fool the temple guardians that it was still there, and took the original one to Ethiopia. So the things to be two arcs. One seems to have ended up in Ethiopia. One then ends up in the area around Petra, which is in Jordan in the Sinaid wilderness, and both of them are vanished.
Speaker 2: So truly amazing. Now, your new book is called The Mystery of Doggerland. First of all, what is Doggerland.
Speaker 3: Well, it's the name of an area of dry land that once connected what's now the British Isles to continental Europe, France, Germany, and Scandinavia. You probably know that during the Ice Age, when sea levels were lower, there was a land bridge between America and what's now Russia. And this is where many people kind of crossed over that landbridge and began to colonize America. I mean it is, you know, many thousands of years ago. Well nothing quite so spectacular, but a smaller version of that joined the British Isles continental Europe and it remained above sea level. Of the temperature gradually warmed after the end of the Ice Age, and there were still people living there who most archaeologists assume were just hunter gatherers right the way through from around about ten thousand BC. They were still there then, and then by about seven thousand BC the water levels had risen and the people who had lived there either drowned or managed to migrate somewhere else. But what's fascinating is is it's just been realized that because of the pressure of the ice that used to be over all of Britain except for the very south, particularly over the north, that the land was pushed down and then as the ice melted, it gradually over thousands of years began to rise again, which meant that until around as recently as five thousand years ago, part of this area of land that joined Britain to the continent called Doggerland, a small island perhaps about the size of the state of what it's not quite large actually, probably about the size of the state of Rhode. Island still existed off the northeast coast of Scotland. That's what Doggerland is now the.
Speaker 2: North Sea for a lot of people, I'll talk about the boundaries lies between Great Britain, Denmark, Norway, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium and France. It's six hundred miles long, it's three hundred and sixty miles wide. It's pretty good size, isn't.
Speaker 3: It, Graham, Yes, it is, but very difficult to know what people were actually doing there ten thousand years ago because that is quite now, quite deep down below the surf of the sea. But the area that didn't sink until about five thousand BC. Now that archaeologists have suddenly been able to map the floor of the sea with radar and sonar and other sophisticated instruments to find astonishingly that there are stone circles down there similar to Stonehenge, but at the bottom of the sea, and very much older than Stonehenge. And it's beginning to look as though the people who eventually built Stonehenge around three thousand BC originally they may have come from this island.
Speaker 2: That sank interesting. How advanced might that civilization of Ben Graham.
Speaker 3: Well, there's one tiny part of that civilization that brought the island that still survives above sea level, and that's a tiny little island called fair Isle in the North Sea. And what's been discovered there by archaeologists is quite incredible. Firstly, they everybody thinks that the people in Finland invented the sauna around about a thousand BC. They found what must have been functioning saunas, you know, sauna bar that are seven thousand years old on this island. That's pretty amazing to start off with. Secondly, they were able to build sea wall defenses where they put lots and lots of rocks and a great big pile in a great, big long embankment. And then somehow nobody quite knows how they managed to get heat going on those stones. Maybe by burning something around them when nobody knows quite what to vitrify the stones and make them into a solid wall melt stone, and really you need incredibly high temperatures to do that. These people were able to do that, and the evidence is there.
Speaker 2: Amazing, truly amazing. Why do you think the island of the continent of Atlantis Dogerland disappeared?
Speaker 3: What happened, Well, it's basically what I explain in the book is that the publishers decided to call it Atlantics and the north see not specifically because that was what Plato in Greek times referred to as Atlantis, because it is one of many places throughout the world that sank beneath the waves at the end of the Ice Age. Now, most people used to think that civilization began about five thousand years ago with in the Middle East with the Solerians and the ancient Egyptians and so on, and before that people were just living in tiny villages. There was nothing like civilization. But it is now known throughout the world for the up many years of archaeology that there were proto civilizations that had cities that people with as many as a thousand people living in them that were built of mud, bricks or even stone. I mean this had been the discovery of places like Beckley Tepi in Turkey, which is like twelve thousand years old, it seems now. And it seems that a lot of the places that began as proto civilizations, perhaps run shortly after the end of the Ice Age, say twelve thousand years ago, were all along the coast and the rising sea levels. They were sunk beneath the waves. So I looked throughout the world and found there was many different places where there were traditions of and archaeological discoveries of ancient civilizations, similar to Plato's descriptions of Atlantis.
Speaker 2: So there may have been many many Atlantas all over the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, South America, North America, Europe, China, India, you name it. They've all got their legends of the same kind of thing.
Speaker 2: What happened to the inhabitants of most of these places? Were they able to get away?
Speaker 3: Well? In some places the sea levels rose gradually over a period many undred years, they migrated, like hopefully, if I'm right, the people who built Stonehenge had come from Dowland. They had time to migrate, but in other places when entire eye shelves collapsed into the sea and broke off huge parts of certain areas, like parts of Norway and parts of Newfoundland. This sent huge great tsunamis across whole oceans and the drowned people overnight. This is certainly what atlantis that displayto describes, which is at the mouth of the Mediterranean. That seems to be what happened there.
Speaker 2: Tell us about some of the discoveries made by divers on the seasbed off the north coast of Britain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, this is fascinating because a lot of this is still under wraps. You know, they're not publishing a lot of what they've found at the moment because they don't want people diving out there and treasure hunting and wrecking the archaeology. But on mainland Orkney Aisles, which is at the top north of Scotland, there's a big stone circle about a good few hundred feet across. It's made of It was originally made of about one hundred stones. Around it is a ditch and embankment and many other monuments around it, which has been dated as around about four and a half to five thousand years old. Well, they've found an identical one of these on the bottom of the sea about two or three miles out from the coast, and that has been dated basically by the map that the sea level has risen since that time, as being least two thousand years older than what was thought to be the oldest stone circle in the British Isles on the Orkney Aisles.
Speaker 2: That is truly remarkable. But why do they keep it under wraps?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't want people to make that. It got a lot of publicity when they first discovered this a few years back, and they had people died going out there, diving down thinking they were going to find treasures. But the kind of the people that built these stone circles, and we were, you know, at the time of Stonehenge and maybe before that, weren't sort of making goal items or silly. They weren't creating things that would be treasured that you could sell to anyone. But this didn't stop people thinking there might be all sorts of things down there. So it's to stop people from destroying the well what they found before they can fully analyze it.
Speaker 2: How did you uncover the story ground?
Speaker 3: Well, I was actually at the time I was. I had a friend who was working on the original the boats that were going out originally when when they were scanning the seabed, they weren't looking for digual scientists, not archaeologists. They weren't looking for some ancient civilization. They were simply looking for buried obstacles in case there might be problems with laying pipelines and various things out to gas and oil rigs in the North Sea. It was a completely it wasn't archaeological at all. But then they found this at least three separate stone circles, the one of the ones I mentioned, And I knew somebody who was actually working with those scientists who said, this could be interesting to you. So that's how I got to know about it.
Speaker 2: Now, what about the possibilities that the Great Flood of Noah might have been the catalyst for the sinking of these continents or islands.
Speaker 3: Well, it's certainly another one of these perhaps sunken early civilizations. What is now known is that sometime around I mean the dating is difficult, but it could be about eight thousand years ago what is now or a little bit earlier what is now the Black Sea was in fact low lying area, and there was this barrier of land separating the Mediterranean, the eastern end of the Mediterranean from the Black Sea. And then literally as the gradual ice smelting after the ice age and the Mediterranean kind of light became, the water levels grew higher. Eventually it broke through this barrier that divided this low land to the wet to the east, and suddenly there was a waterfall. And archaeologists and scientists have described this waterfall as being something like one hundred times the size of the Niagara Falls, pouring over this range embankment and filling the Black Sea and flooding anyone who lived there. That could be the Noah's flood.
Speaker 2: And grammar, you convinced that the Atlantis that Plato talked about is different from the daggerland that we're talking about tonight in your new work.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Atlantis that Plato refers to, he says quite specifically is at the mouth or at what they called the Pillars of Hercules, which is the Strait of Gibraltar, which joins the Atlantics to the Mediterranean. And have actually been doing research into a place that completely matches what he described as being there and would have been sunk by an almighty tidal wave.
Speaker 2: Nia. Four years ago, you wrote a book called Wisdom Keepers of stone Henge. Is it possible that the creators of Stonehenge might have been these people who were on these islands that disappeared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, certainly the one of Dogga Land, that's the one I've done the most research into. I mean, I mean, it's a lot of work to look into Chinese myths and legends about whole cities being flooded, and then looking into the same in India, and that the mains described the same kind of thing. And again it makes perfect sense. Early civilizations started as the Ice Age finished throughout the world, but they didn't get going before they started to get flooded by rising sea levels. And the certainly the one I contemplated on most was Doggerland. And the archaeology absolutely, as far as I'm concerned, proves that the people who built the stone circles and the large megalithic monuments in Britain, which includes Stonehenge, and there was a lot of other monuments similar to that, they definitely came from Doggerland, from this island that existed off the coast of Britmont and about five thousand BC, because the stone circles that they built were exactly the same as those that have been found under the water.
Speaker 2: Could these events that happened so many years ago happen again today.
Speaker 3: Well, it's very controversial. I mean when I say in my book about you know, global warming, we're all experiencing it now. I mean, it's very controversial subjects about whether or off there is such a thing as global warming. Some people swear it's real, some people swear it isn't. But what I do know for certain, and all scientists from anybody who investigated history does know that there was an Ice Age and that I sage finished because somehow the Earth heated up. Precisely why it heated up is a complete mystery. Some people think it's because the Earth slightly changed its orbit around the Sun. Others believe it had something to do with an increased volcanic activity. There are many explanations about why the Ice Age may have occurred, but it did occur. It occurred and basically kept most of humanity in the tropical areas of the world. And after it finished, lots of people migrated north and started and south and migrated away from the from the tropics and began to start the first civilization. Forsations hadn't really got going before there was further warming again. Nobody knows quite why. Remaining nice is a lot further melted and these civilizations ceased. If you believe in global warming, yes, it probably could happen again. If you don't, who knows.
Speaker 1: Listen to more Coast to Coast AM every weeknight at one am Eastern, and go to Coast to coastam dot com for more