Speaker 1: Welcome into the Ravens Press Pass podcast. It is Friday, September twentieth. The Ravens are preparing for Sunday's game coming up against the Dallas Cowboys. Still travel to Dallas tomorrow to get ready for that game. Today, we had a chance to hear from head coach John Harplough.
Speaker 2: Okay, good to see everybody. Appreciate everybody being here. What questions you have John?
Speaker 3: There were reports of Justice Hill sign of a contract extension. I mean, how happy are you for him and his growth? Me started as a special teams player and has really become a big part of what you do offensive here.
Speaker 4: He has He's still a very good special teams player, I might add.
Speaker 2: But Justice Hill.
Speaker 4: Congratulations to Justice, Congratulations to his family, Congratulations with the Ravens.
Speaker 2: That's Justice has.
Speaker 4: Become a really, really good football player. And you know he came in here, fourth round pick Oklahoma State, a lot of talent. We were excited about him. Threw himself into special teams. Like you said, it's still a very good special teams player. We haven't used him there as much so far, but he's ready and willing. He practices every day at that as well. Uh, just to see him get that kind of that kind of a reward, you know, for everything he's done. Probably one of the greatest shining examples of come to work every day, ready to go to work every day, you know, be it your best, positive attitude. You guys see him, you know how he is upbeat, ready to go. Uh, nothing too big for him, nothing too small for him. Just wants to be his best and and lift everybody up. To see a guy like that get rewarded is to me what it's about. You also use as an example to maybe a younger player who got hurt in year win or.
Speaker 2: Year two, as a hey, that this doesn't need to be the end of your story. There would be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolutely, I haven't done that yet specifically, probably, but uh, he would be a great example.
Speaker 2: And we've had other guys like that.
Speaker 4: But for him to tear the achilles the way he did, and boy, I mean maybe he's faster than he was at this point, but shows you how Hardy's work. Credit to the trainers and the and the guys in the weight room for sure. But that's a probably a great point, Hilds. I think he'd be that example. What about just the fact that I mean, it's a day repay contract a team or not. When you talk to other guys that come in here, you know a lot of Day three picks don't pay around in the NFL very long.
Speaker 1: This is his third.
Speaker 4: Contract, Yeah, be interested to see what the stats are on the Day three picks that get three contracts. You know, it's it's probably how many players get three contracts. I don't care where you get picked, but you know, I do believe that when when a when a player especially he's got the right mindset, thinks the right way, no matter where he's picked, first round pick or undrafted, free agent or anything in between.
Speaker 2: That's the plan. You know.
Speaker 4: They want to get three contracts, you know, And and here's a guy that's actually done it, so he'd be a good guy to go talk to and seek advice from. How much should the blocks on Christians add to? You know, you're how impressed you guys are with him? How much of the blocking that you did on Christians?
Speaker 2: Well, it didn't hurt, It didn't hurt?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 4: Probably the the thing I think Eric's probe Probably My guess is Eric and Nick have been working on that for quite a while. But uh, yeah, I just I think it's an example of he'll do anything he's asked.
Speaker 3: Johnny Sutton, you spend time at the offensive line this morning. You've done that before. But obviously that's as you've said, that's a point of emphasis. What prompted that, I guess and uh.
Speaker 2: Oh for me being down there? Yeah, yes, and.
Speaker 3: You know where you still looking at maybe rotations or any changes there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to your real question, I answered all on to your fake question. First, heyre was clever. I just felt like in that walk through they needed a little speed, quickness, athleticism out there on the edge, and I felt like it mud be the guy to provide that. Uh had a nice swipe hop out move if you noticed. But uh no, we we're definitely a work in progress. I mean, there's no question about that. We we we uh, we're heading to where we're gonna be. I'm very confident that we're gonna be the kind of offensive line that we need to be. We've been down this road before in the offensive line, We've down this road in other positions.
Speaker 2: And we got to work at it.
Speaker 4: We've got to build that because you can't be a great offense without being without having a great offensive line.
Speaker 2: It's just I've never believed it was possible.
Speaker 4: If you go back to two thousand and eight, we talked about you starting the trenches, starting the offensive line of defensive line, and that's that's that's been true since Fielding Yost was coaching in Michigan. It's going to be true hundred years from now. So that's that's important for us, and and we are working progress. I think it's still competition, it's still up.
Speaker 2: In the air.
Speaker 4: It's for for certain spots, and uh, that's part of it, you know. So we're gonna go into this game and play the game, and you know, I'm really excited because I think we're gonna play great. I think our offensive line is gonna play great. You have to believe that and feel that way. And I'm looking forward to it. And you probably will see some different guys, you know, in spots. So that's just part of it.
Speaker 3: What kind of versatility is a guy like Pat Terry?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's the thing about Pat.
Speaker 4: You know, Pat can play all five spots and he has, so that's that's a valuable thing. That's prob part of why it is at right tackle, you know, first two game, so that's a valuable thing.
Speaker 2: Again and quick end. We all know we've seen you practice, we know how part of you guys practice.
Speaker 3: But some of the guys have mentioned this week that there's been maybe a little different energy for this week's back.
Speaker 2: Have you since anything different in that regard?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I think we always practice at a high level with a lot of energy, but there are levels to that. And this week the guys were were in We're in it. They were on it. They were on it, and uh, you know, I think they set a standard for this season for sure, and I want to keep building on that standard because to me, it's a practice sport and it's a race to get better and if you're willing to go out and practice hard and well, then then you've got a chance to win that.
Speaker 2: Race to get better. So that was good to see. Now, now the next part of that is you take that.
Speaker 4: Practice into the game. You know, that's the next part of it, and that's what they'll be they'll be working to do. But the best way to play well in the games to play well in practice.
Speaker 3: I'm saying made Wiggins back at practice this week, how do you feel like he's doing it? Is do you feel like he's trended towards playing Sunday.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, it's a great question.
Speaker 4: I thought, as you saw, he practiced full speed, he was in everything, had the red jersey on, but he was full go in terms of moving around and everything, and.
Speaker 2: I thought he looked great. You know.
Speaker 4: So it's up to the doctors in the protocol, et cetera, and we'll see how that shakes out.
Speaker 1: All right, Sorry to do that.
Speaker 3: I'll take that when it's time for mel Kuiper said that too high, sayer, you should be out. What's your opinion on that?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, if if you remember in the Chiefs game, it was a too high safety they got beat for the touchdown.
Speaker 2: So you know, so I'm fine with bad at this point. Get it out, get it out.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, it's definitely, it's definitely. It's not really too high so much as it's split safety quarters too high. The variations that are umbrella type zone coverages that keep the ball in front force teams to go the long way. So no, I don't see he's going to get banned anytime soon. You know. It forces teams to be disciplined and to execute and to not make mistakes. On offense, you know, and go to the long, hard route, and that's what you got to get good at doing on offense.
Speaker 2: That's something we need to get go to doing. About wearing persons number for your past rush.
Speaker 4: Ups, right, yeah, yeah, I don't want to motivate a guy like that.
Speaker 2: No, I probably wouldn't do that. No, good, good question. Thanks.
Speaker 1: All right, you're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast. Make sure you hit that subscribe button. Also head over to the Lounge podcast feed for a full breakdown of what to expect in this game it was going to take for the Ravens to come away with the victory. Thank you so much for listening. We'll be back with you on Sunday following that game.