Speaker 1: You know all the hoops you have to jump through with the city and state that you have to deal with, the regulations, the penalties, de fees and all that stuff on top of taxation. It makes the margins hard for an operator.
Speaker 2: Lava for Good and Stand Together Music present The War on Drugs Podcast, Season two. This season, we're diving deeper into the real stories behind the War on Drugs, its impact, its failures, and the people offering a better path forward today on the show. Founder and lead MC of multi platinum seminal West Coast hip hop group Cyprus Hill, with over twenty million albums sold worldwide for hits like Insane in the Brain, I Ain't Going Out like That and throw your Set in the Air, and first hip hop group to have their own star.
Speaker 3: On the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Speaker 2: Cannabis advocate and entrepreneur The One and Only Be Real.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Season two War on Drugs Podcast. I'm Clayton English.
Speaker 3: I'm Greg Laud. Yes, we're back, Yes, and then we're going back yeah, going.
Speaker 4: Back back back to Charlie. Yeah, it's gonna be, it's gonna be. It's gonna be one of those ones.
Speaker 5: This was super cool, for those that don't know, we went out to California. Yeah, sat down with uh Cypress Hill's own be Real. Yeah yeah, he had us at a studio, which was amazing. I think you said that you were like, yeah, this is everything thirteen fourteen year old me you would expect out of a Cypress Hill. Think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like close your eyes and you're like, Cypress Hill is in the cannabis and podcasting game. Now where do you think this is going on? And then up here and you're like, yeah, I'm in Southsage, Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're in a car studio, smoke.
Speaker 5: He's got a lowrider that he shoots the hot Box show out of.
Speaker 4: You get to see that.
Speaker 2: Laven three D be Real just is a absolute source on everything we talked about during the interview. You know, just reading back on history and things like that. Like he was always like this like arbiter in the in like the hip hop community, where because he was seeing someone that hey, I've struggled, I've come from here, but I'm also kind of above a little bit of the inner fighting that we saw during that time period.
Speaker 3: He was always a source and you can just see it.
Speaker 4: He and he was a weed advocate without trying to be that.
Speaker 3: It was just who he was.
Speaker 5: Where they were coming from Cyprus Hill. They used to I remember the shows used to have the big weed leaf, the skeleton, smoke and a joint.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that was back when it was dangerous.
Speaker 4: It is that they were going down to town right exactly city?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's not like that cool anymore wherever. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Right, you're right, you got this stigma on you.
Speaker 3: So it's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I mean, yeah, he's been an amazing you know, artists advocate business, I'm true, And a lot of what we actually talked about was kind of his entrepreneurship and him working in the cannabis industry and what that looks like. We think of California as this you know area. They they got medical and you know, the first state they legalized in twenty sixteen for recreational. You think of them as having like, you know, this robust, you know system, but a lot of it isn't all what it's cracked up to be. And not only is it the local stuff that he talks about, but again we get back to federal regulation and prohibition. He's trying to own stores in different states, trying to move either money or the actual products state to state. You can't move it state to state or else. And now becomes like a big federal defense. And we even found, you know, there was a story out of you know, southern California where you know, Brench trucks full of cash because they can't work within you know, normal banks of money that was from a medical store under legal guys under you know, state law was pulled over by local sheriffs and the money was diverted over to the Feds. They finally got it back after there was a big hull of the Like again, it's this second class business that we've continued to create and that really allows for all the other stuff that we want to remove from this, from legalization, the black market, bad products, you know, allowing business to thrive, let people who are actually impacted by the drug war to be able to come back in we're still harming it. And it was just really cool to talk to him about some of those things from just he sounded like a business owner, just any other business of concerned about his stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think a lot of people look at you know, California and like it's legal there. Yeah, but there's so much they still haven't figured out, and there's so much that still needs to be done. Like once you get legal weed, you still have to figure out what are you going to do? From a business aspect, how are these people gonna put their money in the bank, how are these people what are the taxes look like? What are all these things looking like, and what does it look like to even be a business owner? Because some of the stuff he was saying, it doesn't make it look appealing to try to go legal. No, it's far easier to probably stay in the black market. It's probably a lot more work to try to go legal, and it's continuous work.
Speaker 4: That's kind of what we learn from him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know living in DC right now, there's been a huge issue because it is a cash market. It's actually a very attractive business to launder money through now that to try to make money, like you've seen that because of licensed caps. You see cronyism where people putting out bids and bribes for these things.
Speaker 3: You see money laundering being able.
Speaker 2: To go through because not going through regular banks like prohibition actually creates more crime, right and creates more unsafe products like be real to talk about that like he is.
Speaker 3: He has stores and things like that.
Speaker 2: He's very you know, passionate about kind of the medical aspects of it, like how this works.
Speaker 3: He talked to us about that where yea.
Speaker 2: Working about it with like how he works out with you know, it's it's what he's doing. And so when you you know, he talked about, you go into stores, there's people there, a nodgeable, but you get so much other bad stuff on the market, and people are a knowledge because of prohibition, because things are still in the gray, and that's disappointing.
Speaker 3: But it was just good to talk about all that stuff though.
Speaker 5: It as cool as Yeah, you know, I think a lot of times people look at it from the smoker's approach, yeah, exactly, like, oh, you're able to smoke weed is legal, what are you complaining about? And I'm like, I think you got to look at it from a business own on his approach, and that's kind of what be Real gave us in this interview.
Speaker 3: No, I totally agree. We get into all that with them.
Speaker 2: Don't want to give too much away right now, but it was an amazing conversation just talk about you know, what he was in the hip hop culture, what he's still doing right now, still putting out stuff, and like how he's come become this amazing entrepreneur.
Speaker 6: And it's a really cool conversation.
Speaker 3: So excited for you all to hear it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 5: Hey that, Me and Greg, our guests and sponsors may sound smart, we may even make some good points, but at the end of the day, we're not medical professional.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: Please don't get your medical advice from a podcast. Anything we say on here does not constitute official medical advice. Relax, consult your doctor before you start any new treatment plans. Got it well? On drugs podcast. Man, it's Clayton English, It's Greg Lade.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 5: We somewhere special today Los Angeles, California. Man, we get be Real studio right here, man with be Real with doctor Green.
Speaker 7: Throw man on that.
Speaker 5: Hey, man, thank you for doing this with us. Yes, thanks for having me. Yes, man for the listeners. Just maybe give us the be Real the jump off story because Los Angeles right yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I was born and raised here and still here, yeah, still here.
Speaker 1: You know, I've seen all sorts of craziness from you know, the time of being a young young buck, growing up to a team to an adult, you know, and the evolution of living here in southern California, and it's wow when you're born and raised here and you and you live on some of those blocks where it's active or you're a part of some of those blocks where.
Speaker 7: The activities the fast life ship, if you will.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you you grow up quick in that and you have a different perspective on things, and it's like, you know, you got to have your head on a swivel, especially in the eighties, in the eighties before they started cleaning all of it up and gentrifying the neighborhoods down there a lot of gangs, right, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, man, So when did your journey start with rap?
Speaker 1: You know, we were always fans of music in a way that is different than that you just appreciate music. It was in a way that we wanted to do it as well, you know, so especially with hip hop, you know that it's something we felt we could do. I mean, I was writing poetry and stuff when I got into it, so it was sort of just the figure out how to flip poetry into writing these rap songs because it was very similar in certain ways. And you know, as anything, you know, you're doing it and you're having fun doing it, and you think you're good and you're really not. But it was a hobby. Then, you know, I didn't it was going to be a career for me. And in the middle of that, I start, you know, rolling with the gangs and stuff like that. And you had my experiences and my soldiering in that.
Speaker 6: And how old are you when that first kind of started?
Speaker 7: Very yeah, I was like fifteen at this point.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: Fortunately Mellow and his brother Sen were still rocking with Mugs, so the three of them and myself had that in common, and when they got an opportunity, they decided, hey, we should go back and call b see if we can get him off the street and get him participating in the music. At first, I was, you know, not willing. I was totally washed, and you know, I had to be on the street. And then for some reason I know what made me do it. I said, you know, yeah, I'll go to the studio and see what's up. So I'm seeing these big names rolling through and I'm like, oh shit, this is kind of cool. And then I'm hearing some of the music and I'm like, fuck, I think I could still kind.
Speaker 7: Of do that.
Speaker 1: So it gave me like the appetite for being in the studio as opposed to being on the street.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So obviously cannabis is a big part of your music from the get go, and a lot of it is talking about what you've seen in you know, where you grew up, you know, kind of how the criminalization of it, what's it done in your community? Can you kind of discuss that, like obviously from an early age, like any shared experiences about like living in the community, like and then seeing how it the criminalization of cannabis in La particularly how it's kind of destroyed the community and everything else.
Speaker 1: Oh well, yeah, I mean there was such a huge taboo on it when we came out and started talking about it on records the way we did, because a lot of people were going to jail for.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, for like now like you like, hey, does anyone want to vape? And everyone's like, no, I got my own, Yeah, yeah, a lot of joys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and some folks were doing years.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know there were stories that you got caught with the seed or a roach in Texas, you're doing ten to eleven years off top out here in La It wasn't necessarily as harsh as that, maybe, but it was still you know, it had people very paranoid because they treated it like any other drug, and we know now that it's not like any other drug, and people don't consider it a drug, they consider it a medicine. They spent so much money on propaganda and misinformation about cannabis to demonize it, so, you know, people had the wrong perception about it. It isn't until you know, the Internet is now out there for the information Highway to just be open to everyone to like do their own research. And it wasn't until people started doing their own research till they realized, you know what, it's not as bad as they made it out to be, and a lot of this shit is wrong. The steps that we went through to get to hear we're pretty tough, because you know, talking about this shit early, a lot of opportunities wouldn't come our way as they would for others because we were championing this that a lot of people didn't understand yet. To think about where it's at now, it's like fucking huge steps in the right direction finally, you know, and the possibilities are endless. I mean, there's still a lot of work to be done though, because the taxation is unfair and the regulations are unfair. I mean, we cannot operate like let's just say a Coca Cola if we're trying to do our brands across the whole of the United States. Like if we wanted to have a nationwide brand, our packaging has to be different in this state. Then in this state. We can use this font in this state, but not in this state. There's no continuity or semblance, I guess in the rules and regulations of legal cannabis at this point, in.
Speaker 6: The banking, going into the banking, even staying in the state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the banking and the taxation, it makes it tough, but it's slowly but surely going to get there. I think when you think about where we're at now to where we were thirty years ago. Big lead the history of myself getting into the cannabis industry in the legal forum was basically, we've seen all these retail stores pop up before they had licenses, even you know, when they were still kind of rogue or they were all rogue or whatever, and you know, I thought, you know, maybe we could do that when it becomes legal or something like this. So it was always a thought in the head, but it was like whether the other guys were going to want to do it or not. And you know, a couple of the guys were skeptical about it, you know, because it was still up in the air in terms of legality and all that stuff. So they, you know, the Cyprus remained hands off on it. But I thought, well, you know, I could take a chance if I did it on my own. And so, you know, it started with just putting a few products out there. I think it was an edible, and you know, to my surprise, you know, people found out about the edible. It was made by a guy named Chris Bliss. To our surprise, a lot of people reacted and it took a few years before before anything really happened. But that was like the first you know, dive into It was like an infused edible. It was like an oatmeal cookie or some shit like this. And eventually, you know, because my squad and myself came from the cultivation background, we thought, well, eventually maybe we could use this green thumb thing to put out flower and whatnot.
Speaker 7: Eventually, you know, I.
Speaker 1: Partnered up with a couple of people to do a licensing deal with the first couple of shops that we opened up, and you know, we got an amazing first day show of support of what we were doing by a lot of Cypress Hill fans and a lot of fans that have like kind of followed this trajectory when I made the character in a Cypress Hill song and I started doing parties and events at it, and now I'm launching you know, a couple of stores and stuff like that. So the support was overwhelming, and that that was basically the start. It went from like that cookie product to possibly doing flour into you know, maybe it's actually the platform, and then you know, we'll create another product that goes into the platform. And that's where the Insane oge which was you know, are at the time our flower brand that we were putting into the stores, know, and it was called Insane to tribute Cypress Hill as for Insane, So that you know, that was basically the entry and and you know, based off of the support we got here and the excitement that it caused because now you had social media everywhere and people you know, are.
Speaker 7: Getting shots in front of it.
Speaker 1: It's like when you're going to open up here when you're going to open up there and you know, hey, in a perfect world, yeah, you could just easily open all these places.
Speaker 7: But it was tough to open up in the first place.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of nimby stuff in California, particularly, like local control was realy heavy.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was fortunate in that I had operators who had already been in operation, you know, different names, so they sort of knew all the you know, all the nuances that it took to run a shop, right, and they had done a lot of the groundwork in terms of having to deal with the city, with the licenses and like, they had taken care of all that because they had already been operating and they knew what the system was, so they had all that in place, which made it easier. So when we, you know, put the sign up, people people came to it. And you know, when was that first year you had your first retail, Yeah, twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen around that time.
Speaker 2: What has been that experience as like a small you know, cannabiz owner.
Speaker 6: Is that the term or is that lame?
Speaker 1: Well, it's you know, it's cool again, Yeah, I mean it's it's it's great, but it has its challenges. You know, all the hoops you have to jump through with the city and state that you have to deal with, the regulations, the penalties, the fees and all that stuff on top of taxation. It makes the margins hard for an operator, you know, in this industry. So it's been tough on big brands and independent brands. The bigger brands that have you know, funding, you know that they've survived to a degree. Well some of the independence mom and pop right type of brands and shops have have went away. Some of them are still there. But yeah, you know, it's it's uh, it's been challenging. I mean, it's rewarding in one way because i mean, you know, hey, listen, we got legalization and you know for medicinal and recreational and people are not going to jail for it, and they're starting to let some of those folks go that had cannabis convictions and stuff like that.
Speaker 7: So that's great.
Speaker 1: But in terms of the operator and consumer, we're we're still sort of paying for you know, we're paying to play right exactly. Because you know a lot of people thought when when they got into Canabi, the cannabis industry, they were just going to be making money hand over fist, and you know, in the beginning maybe it was like that, but right about now it's it's not that not that easy, whether you got micro licenses or you're just working with one license, and.
Speaker 6: That breeds the illegality too, because then they start.
Speaker 1: Doing well, which is why the black market flourishes, you know, because it's like if the consumer thinks, well, I used to get this for this, and now it's way too fucking expensive. I'm just gonna call dude around the corner, who's got some ship.
Speaker 3: Jimmy's always been there.
Speaker 7: Jimmy's Jimmy and Timmy and Leimmy. They have always been there.
Speaker 1: You know, can't guarantee that the cannabis is clean, but it might be.
Speaker 7: Gas too, you know.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, you know, the gas is a term for really good, you know what I'm saying, And so you're dealing with that. Then un till the city and state sort of like come with the fair plan for us.
Speaker 7: It's it's it's.
Speaker 1: Still gonna be taking those little bumps and bruises. But I always believed that that the cannabis needed to create its own lobby group to go and bring those taxes down and get like sort of the regulation for most of these states and stuff done before the other guys that come in.
Speaker 7: Yeah, with that real.
Speaker 1: Money come in and they start funding the lobbyists, and then they're going to wash a lot of people out after that.
Speaker 2: They're right, a lot of the ballot measures that go on there, they indoctrinate the people that have already been working in the medical industry, and it's a huge issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that I always thought the industry should do that, you know, like band together, because then you're you know, you're sort of carving your own path as opposed to waiting for these guys to come do it and believe that they will, like, you know, when the big money is able to come in, they're going to lobby that those taxes down and it's going to benefit them because they will get it down, but it's going to benefit them and anyone else isn't necessarily going to be grandfathered in in the nice way, you know what I mean. So, Yeah, if they brought the taxes down, it would allow growth in many areas in terms of job growth. You know, people would be able to hire more staff in some of the cultivations because you need staff in the cultivations, right, and even in the in the storefronts, and in all aspects you know, from distribution and manufacturing and development and all that stuff. You'd see all that grow and it would allow the actual business to make money, and it would make more money for the state and for the government, you know what I mean. But when you're punishing, the margins are very much lower, and then you start losing businesses and losing those jobs and losing that tax dollar, which is you know, some of what we're seeing in the cannabis industry here in California. People have lost their shops and lost their businesses who took a chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm curious like what you saw during like COVID during here in the cannabis industry, because it did seem like a lot opened up.
Speaker 6: People on cash.
Speaker 1: Maybe and then yeah, I mean there was an influx of money spending and in the dispensaries, you know when they got deemed as essential businesses, which they were, Yeah, and people were getting that little bit of extra money to spend, so they'd go off to every dispensary was up at that time from the legal dispensaries to the rogue shops.
Speaker 7: Like I was, Yeah, I was all.
Speaker 1: They all made a lot of money in that time, rogue shop and license shop both, you know, and when whenever they came back and those checks went away and that extra money was gone, You've seen the dip everywhere. Yeah, and then you know, the taxes became what they were at what thirty eight percent like that, Yeah, and then it made it hard for everybody.
Speaker 7: And you know, you had a lot of guys.
Speaker 1: Over producing cannabis too that couldn't get rid of it as they were, you know previously, because now no one had that extra money.
Speaker 6: Right, particularly in bulk larger orders, and.
Speaker 7: Now everything's taxed a little bit higher.
Speaker 1: So it just kind of put the industry in a you know, yeah, slowed the pace down a little bit. Cannabis still gets discriminated on on many different levels. I mean, you look at some of these platforms like YouTube and that we broadcast on ig which we post content on Facebook, which we were posting more content on in the past, but not so much these days. They all discriminate against cannabis accounts. So let's just say you have a business and you don't have marketing dollar. All you have is the social media networks to try and you know, get some people, get some attention onto your brand, onto your shop or product whatever. You know, immediately you got these guys putting the hammer down on your account where you know they'll they'll what do they call it, ghost shadow band shadow ban your account, which I've gone through that with Instagram and Facebook, right, I still go through it because I'm a cannabis activist and advocate and obviously business owner and consumer and connoisseur, right, all these different labels in the cannabis industry. They don't look at it like I'm an artist, like a musician from this smell. Yeah, they're looking at me this way, and so you know, my content, right's a fine line for them. So you know, in the past, I've had to like go and take off all my cannabis content so that they'd stop limiting my content distribution. So like they make it if you have a brand in your to like you know, get some attention on it, just fucking squash it out. And you know they do that with a lot of cannabis accounts. It's not just mine, it's like the whole of us, you know, what I mean, And it makes it hard, especially when you're dealing with the margins you're dealing with and you can't you don't have a budget to like market like a corporation might. You don't have the marketing and promotion, and you don't have the staff. All you got is this. They won't even let you live there, and so it's it's tough, but you know, it can be done in spite of all these trials and tribulations they're putting us through. If you've got a brand that people trust and they trust you and you put out quality shit, they will sustain you through the hard times and support you, you know what I mean. So it can be done. You just got to be able to survive the wave of bullshit. It's happening right now, and it might change in the next couple of years, you never know, but like you've got to be able to survive that wave. And fortunately we're one of the ones, you know, surviving right now.
Speaker 2: Right So you're not only in California, you're in multiple states, Like how many people are you employing in what are the difficulties of like managing operations in a multi state you know area with cannabis like that's yeah.
Speaker 1: Well we're here, We're here in California and we're in Michigan right now, and we're currently you know, trying to expand to other states. And again, you know, one of the stores stores, yes, and product and product, you know, so we're expanding our product line and and Aura and Aura dispensaries trying to because it's not easy being that again, you know what we spoke about earlier. Every state has a different set of regulations as to what you can use for the logo of your dispensary. And then you know, do you have a farm that you're going to get your product from for the dispensary. You know, there's all these different sorts of things to navigate. So it's something that we definitely are planning on doing more of. But it's just trying to figure out how we navigate that with without.
Speaker 7: Losing our fucking minds.
Speaker 1: They make it They make it tough for all of us, you know what I mean, especially when you're trying to do multi state operations, you.
Speaker 7: Know what i mean.
Speaker 1: So if they had, you know, one set of regulations and rules that we go by as opposed to you know, having to do it this way in Arizona, doing it this way in Florida, doing it this way in Colorado, and this way in California. I mean, it makes it tough because if you have any if you're trying to have any continuity in meaning that like whenever you go to McDonald's, you see the same colors and the same golden arches, you see jack in the boxes that reddish white. Yeah, so like what you're trying to put up a shop that's very brand driven and not necessarily just product driven, and you cannot use elements of that brand that people know, right, it makes it tough. So you know, we're still we're still growing here in California and we're you know, trying to grow outside of that.
Speaker 7: But it's it's tough.
Speaker 1: And you know, we got we got some things in the works where we're you know, trying to get some new shops open in twenty five in different states. And I do know that when we open up in different places, you know, people get excited about it, and you know, it does end up opening opportunities for others who want to work for the brand. And whether it's in Michigan or Arizona or Nevada or places like this.
Speaker 5: Job creation is important. They're always talking about that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and we know that our brand does that.
Speaker 1: So it's it's just about you know, landing in the right places and dealing with all with all the red tape within those fucking places.
Speaker 7: And with cannabis, it's a lot.
Speaker 5: You were talking about the lobbying. The cannabis industry needs to lobby together. Everything you just said sound like you need to head up the lobb You can go down there because everything you said made since job creation, all that type of stuff. What can you say about, you know, people getting together and actually doing that or making that happen.
Speaker 4: I would that.
Speaker 1: Look well, you know, it takes everybody to be willing to put the egos aside, in the competitive nature of the cannabis business aside, because it became competitive and cut throat out of nowhere, to put all that aside and put their money together and do this before the big money comes and does it for them, because if they come and do it for us, a lot of us are going to get shut out and it's going to still be hard to operate for us while they reap all the benefits. So you know, I've said this in different interviews and with different people, but it just takes the action, you know, people that actually have that kind of finance, you know, that kind of funding to say, all right, let's start this fucking lobby. Let's let's find one of these politicians that we can get to get down with us, because I mean, it's all about money and in that network.
Speaker 7: Unfortunately.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hey, Biro, this has been absolutely awesome, appreciated. Any place that you want to plug anything you want to shout out before we go, uh.
Speaker 1: You know, just for Cypress Hill shows, check out cypresshill dot com. And if you want to check out the Doctor Green Thumb podcast or show whatever you know, check it out, just look it up.
Speaker 6: Awesome, It's been great.
Speaker 4: Thanks all right.
Speaker 2: Amazing, especially thanks to be Real for opening up a studio all the way open.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 2: But I think you know, talking to him, you know, we these things get voted on and passed through the legislature or you get to the ballot box, you see it passes. You're all excited, and sometimes it does not come to fruition. And we're seeing that with the cannabis industry that there's a lot more work to be done and this is multi layered and very complicated.
Speaker 5: But legalization, decriminalization, that's just the start of Yeah, because it especially for people who you know, look at the crime aspect of it. They're trying to they want it to not increase crime in their area. Well, when it's decriminalized or legalized like this, it's going to increase crime because it's a cash business. Like that's one thing I'll say, Yeah, marijuana is peaceful, but money never. And so when you have a lot of money on hand, it doesn't matter what you're selling, you're going to attract people that are going to try to get I've known people in the industry who've been you know, in violent robberies, you know, involved it because they don't have a place to put their money like they should, or regulations aren't in place to accept the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to try to get into this industry is such an overwhelming impediment for so many people. You know, I've talked to you know, growers and retailers and a lot of different places. Because we've been actively working took at the federal level to kind of at least make this industry like other industries. Like if your business touches cannabis in any way, you could be susceptible to incredibly heavy fines and taxes. So I've heard retailers say sometimes it's seventy to eighty percent of gross sales can actually be threatened by the irs to come in and take that. And so it obviously stemies everything you hear industry after industry and business person after business per se. If this provision was removed, we could do a lot more things. And that's just one tiny little aspect. It's also that it's a federal you know, it's still first you know, Schedule one drug and all the other little things that that does to the actual industry. And so, like you talked about, people can't put their money in there, so that increases crime and it makes people go away. People are going to get all their revenue, all their hard work is going to get potentially taken by their government or tax to death, so they stay away from it. You're seeing all these complications just because we've decided to say, at the program, this is still in this schedule in the same place where heroin is pretty remarkable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I think another thing politicians always talk about is job creation. Those types of things when you're doing things like this, you're limiting the jobs that's allowed to be created.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I mean be real saying, so how many work could he create and others creating.
Speaker 5: Yes, and we're not just talking about at the dispensary. Sure he might have a dispensary and they hire a few people, but it goes all the way to the grow operation, It goes to the it goes to everything. Everything is impacted by any way a normal business would function. He also brought up the point where he said, if it was a normal business that had to do all of these things, you would never see that.
Speaker 3: Product, not in a million years.
Speaker 7: If it was a.
Speaker 5: Soda, if it was Coca cola, if it was something like that that we are familiar with that we use, if they had to go through all of these regulations, they would have never made it as a company.
Speaker 2: No, And you can't even ship it across state lines. And so you thought you had like this, you know, farm or whatever else you're growing. You're doing all these things and your only way to like make profits is essentially in your little area, right, and then your little area might say, like in California, we've seen this, Hey, you can't do that here or if you are, we're going to cap it and good luck trying to compete.
Speaker 3: For these bids. Who do you think is going to get the bits.
Speaker 2: It's the people that have the money, post of the money, and the most of the things that are being written are by people that already have direct investment into the industry and they're going to make these things in ways that allow for them to profit.
Speaker 3: And maybe we saw it very.
Speaker 2: Similarly with alcohol when post prohibition, if you go in your states, it's very difficult if you're or small craft brewer, a lot of places to actually get your products out. And why because the big guys when they made the laws in nineteen thirty said all this.
Speaker 3: And we're seeing the same thing happen here.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, the preferential treatment like we talked about would be real.
Speaker 4: The mom and.
Speaker 5: Pops get pushed out for these bigger corporations that are in other things. And we see politicians moving into the space too. We see politicians who were against, you know, drugs in every way when they come around and there's money to be made, Hey, maybe this could work.
Speaker 3: It's constructive story. Yeah, right now I'm seeing the light.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So Greg Man you in policy what needs to be done? Man, Because every time we get to this point, I'm like, all right, I'm looking at you.
Speaker 4: What needs to be done? But I always remember.
Speaker 5: You say the classification, the rescheduling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean everything trickles down from that, and then there's a lot more other stuff to do. But you know, we were talking to be real after the interview and just kind of discussing like what can be done because it does seem very insurmountable, and a lot of what he was saying is like we have to kind of come together and come to a coalition. So I know we were chatting about maybe doing some op eds and getting together to kind of talk about this and kind of getting people together to raise these issues, because I do think it's all the little stuff that really hinders this, because it's.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, you guys, be quiet.
Speaker 2: Now you got your stuff, and now we're going to regulate this thing the way we want. And I think people have to stand up to say no. But first things first, it really is trying to remove some of those provision aspects at the federal level, because everything trickles down from You can't have a thriving business when the federal government says the product you're selling is the worst thing.
Speaker 4: It's the worst thing, right, is illegal?
Speaker 3: Is we don't it's super leategy.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, So you know we're gonna kind of keep monitoring this and as updates come, you know, be sure to check out all our pages and things like that.
Speaker 3: Like I'm gonna we're going.
Speaker 2: To keep find of this and what we'll see there might be some opportunity used to to really start to kind of remove some of these you know, burdens to people, because all we're asking let's make it a fair ball game.
Speaker 3: And allow for people.
Speaker 2: If we're gonna have this industry, to stop kicking it under the leg You've.
Speaker 5: Got to get be real here in Washington, absolutely real to talk to Congress or something.
Speaker 3: He's gonna marschtalls of Congress.
Speaker 2: We'll get him out right, yeah a post.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: He will be going through general security interests and everything else.
Speaker 3: So now again specially thanks to be real.
Speaker 2: And then we have another great artist coming in now leave in LA going into Nashville. Personal favorite of mine, John Osborne from the Brothers Osbourne. There he's a Maryland boy. So the the my Maryland White Tress accent comes out pretty good in this UH interview.
Speaker 4: We did a couple of times it did.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the ols and the ow's and and all that, we're starting to thread pretty good. He was an amazing, amazing conversation about mental health. You know, again, being at the peak of your powers all these things is still a human inaction.
Speaker 5: It is is the human condition. It's the human way. Yeah, if you're not struggling, you're probably not doing that.
Speaker 2: And he has an amazing story and how you know, psychedelics and other things have helped him and how it's helped some of his friends potentially save their lives. So you're not gonna want to miss that, So thank you again.
Speaker 8: And UH with that, take care the Season two The War on Drugs is a production of Lava for Good and Stand Together Music and association with Signal Company Number one.
Speaker 3: Stand Together Music unites musicians.
Speaker 2: And their teams with proven change makers to co create solutions to some of the most pressing issues in our country, including criminal justice, for foreign addiction recovery, mental health, education, free speech, and ending the War on drugs. Learn more at Stand Together Music dot org. Be sure to follow Lava for Good on Instagram, Facebook, and threads at Lava for Good. You can follow Clayton English on Instagram, NX at Clayton English, and you can follow Craig Laude on Instagram and on ex at greg Lot. Executive producers Jason Flamm, Jeff Kempler, Kevin Wardis, and Collette Wintraub. Senior producers Kelsey Stenecker, Zak Huffman, and Nick Stump. Post production by ten ten, Audio talent booking by Dan Resnik. Rez Entertainment Head of Marketing and Operations, Jeff Cleiburn, Social media director Ismadi Gudarama, social media manager Sarah Gibbons, and art director Andrew Nelson