Speaker 1: This is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, your war room for insider news and draft analysis from deep within the confines of Cowboys headquarters at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 2: It is Thursday, January eighteenth, twenty twenty four, and we are ninety eight days away from the NFL Draft in Detroit, Michigan. Welcome into the Draft Show, presented by Miller Lyte. Here from the SWBC studios at the Star and Frisco. Nick Harris Brian brought us Aisha Morrison, Zach Wilchuck Chris Bean in the back of Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: How's everybody doing today? Read a roll man d to roll.
Speaker 2: We'll be crazy today where a little bit early got pushed up an hour because Mike McCarthy comes on at ten o'clock and then and then we'll be back at our normal time. Tuesdays and Thursdays from here on out is when you can hear the Draft Show. Eleven am Central Time is when we will stream live.
Speaker 4: So yes, sir, two more extra hours of sleep boom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not nine am for well you have to get up for ten am for talking on Tuesdays.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just one day.
Speaker 5: I can do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can make it away, right, we can look.
Speaker 3: A little bit of it. He's a you're a night out.
Speaker 4: I'm a big sleep guy.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 2: Well, don't get used to it because you got draft stuff to watch, you got film to watch. All right, let's talk about the fallout or I don't even know fallouts to write words specifically, but just move on.
Speaker 3: Just reaction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike McCarthy is staying as your head coach. Jerry Jones put out a statement yesterday saying that he believes that the future is bright with Mike McCarthy as the head coach. He feels like he's close and Brian, I think it does affect the draft significantly because of the relationship that he's had with the personnel department.
Speaker 3: No, and they do.
Speaker 6: And you know, these the personal departments job to do is to work with every coach and to work with especially the head coach.
Speaker 3: Mike McCarthy came from a.
Speaker 6: Program, you know, four years ago where in Green Bay, Ted Thompson and the scouts really did the job for him as far as picking players. So Mike's in a new and he's learning, he's learning that he's going to have a say every head coach I've ever worked with here has had that opportunity. Whether you want it or not, you're going to have a say in personnel. So you know, Mike coming back, there's your continuity there. The questions we had are about what's going on with the with the defensive side of the ball though, and with Dan Quinn with him doing interviews, and so if Dan were to come back, well then there's your continuity. Scouts understand what they have to do. If there's a change there or somebody from the outside, that's going to be the difference for the scouting department. But everything else leading up to that, with McCarthy being being uh, you know, continuing on his role as a head coach here, I think it's going to be status quo. But they do need to figure out what the defensive coordinator situation is and hopefully if they have to get a new one, then it would be a guy that could mirror some of the things that they've done before. Scheme wise, I mean, I've gone through scheme flips where you've gone four three to three four. In this day and age, everybody's able to kind of play a little bit of both. And I know you study that stuff really really strong.
Speaker 7: I'm here for decoration right now. In regards to this conversation, I hope can y'all hear me, Oh yeah, okay, I sound funky, So okay, I just wanted to make sure. Okay. So, But in regards to Mike McCarthy, you know, coming back, I do think it is easy to forget that this is the first year that this offensive scheme has been introduced, and there's you know, some maybe some kinks and stuff they need to work out. I do want to see how he attacks. I mean, we heard we talked about it yesterday, was like, we're going to run the ball. We're going to do it. So I wonder, you know, so maybe how they attack, trying to perfect that run game and get it better. But in regard to him returning to me right now, I thought it was the better decision to make, you know, for your team to move forward and hopefully again I hope they can pull some of the things that they did well this past year and find a foundation and there'd be like some real identity in this offense and some consistency that can travel.
Speaker 8: Yeah, as it pertains to the drafts, we talked about it yesterday. Whether it's a first year guy coming in or it's a McCarthy coming in or coming back, there's gonna be pressure on.
Speaker 5: This draft class.
Speaker 8: I think, regardless, they have to go out and prove that they're a little bit better than they were last year. I was actually we were talking about how bad the twenty twenty three draft class was yesterday.
Speaker 4: ESPN put out an article yesterday ranking all the draft class. Thirty one Cowboys were thirty two flat last and it was it was by a large margin. So there's going to have to be some sort of bounce back here in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 8: I think you have to go in. You got to get a solid first round guy. I think that's priority number one, just based on you know, Mazzie Smith and what happened last year. But also you have to be able to find some guys in Day two, day three and be able to stack.
Speaker 4: Momentum in those areas as well.
Speaker 8: I mean, you got to bounce back in twenty twenty four, and I think that's a I think there's pressure on McCarthy to do that, pressure on this entire scouting staff.
Speaker 9: I feel confident that they'll do that, right. I mean, this is a team that usually they're up in the top ten when we're looking at these lists every year in terms of getting production from your draft class, so you know every team's going to have a bad one. This team just has so much pressure because of how they team build. Everything's really through the draft, right, So I mean this year, I think that a lot of their positions of need it's good. It seems like it'll probably be in those middle rounds. The problem is they don't have a lot of middle round picks, right because they traded. Yeah, they traded to go get Cooks. They trade to go get Gilmour. They moved up. We talked about that yesterday with Eric Scott. So the comp picks, maybe that helps you out a little bit.
Speaker 7: That's what I was going to ask. Are there some comp picks that you maybe should get hope.
Speaker 3: You're going to get us six? Yeah, they're hope for sure, they're hopeful for two.
Speaker 6: Six's best case scenario would be a five six And they think that maybe Noah Brown is going to fall below the line to get another one.
Speaker 2: So because it would be for Connor mc govern and for Dalton Schultz, those are your okay compicks?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, this is certainly for another day, But then are you looking at maybe does this team try and trade back a little bit to acquire some an extra third or a fourth at some point in this draft class, because there's a lot of good meat there, especially for linebacker and running back.
Speaker 6: I always feel like in a draft, you can you can pull back, you can get an extra third. Somebody will come up and watch your spot drop back. I mean, we've seen there's ways to manipulate the draft in order to get some of those picks that you might need.
Speaker 2: And I talked about this a little bit on Talking Cowboys in our Reaction show. On Tuesday. I called in from Indiana and Nick asked me the question, what do you feel like their plan moving forward is? And I said, I don't know. I don't know if they'll keep McCarthy, I don't know if they'll change head coaches. I don't know what they'll do a defensive coordinator. But despite what they end up making the decision for I want to see a considerable plan. I want to see something moving forward because you can't just run this back. You can just put the same roster out there with the same cornerstones and the same pieces and say let's try this again in twenty twenty four. It's not gonna work the same asn't. So my question to you guys now is with McCarthy being the first box checked, you have your head coach, you know where he's gonna be. What would that plan be for you guys? Where would you start seeing the planet that you beef up the offensive line? Zach, you talked about getting bigger just in general. Is that a considerable effort, because now, if you're not going to change the head coach, you got to make a change somewhere.
Speaker 3: I think it comes in roster building.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think getting bigger is more specific for the defensive side of the football. But what do we hear Mike talk about this time last year? He wants to run the football? Yeah, he wants the identity of this team to be a run first team. Unfortunately, regardless and if it was personnel, if it was scheme, they were not able to run the football. So I think that's what you're doing. First, you're going to the drawing board and you're saying, okay, and this is also going to help your quarterback out who just had his best year. Yeah, So I mean that's being optimistic right there. Dak Prescott just had his best season, is an MVP candidate, probably gonna finish runner up to Lamar Jackson, and they had no consistent running game. If you're able to do that, how much of a more of a consistent step and a better step can this offense take? So if I'm McCarthy, I'm getting with Mike Solauri, I'm looking kind of where we're at. We'll see with some of these guys that possibly you know Tyron is, do you want to bring him back? Is he going to retire? Zach Martin has kind of flirted with that as well. Tyler Biattish, we got to look at that. If you want to bring him back, do we want to draft a center? I think center probably is the one position that you can go ahead and change.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I saw a good one last night that Jackson power Johnson from Oregon Holy cheeze.
Speaker 3: I mean, I mean hey, and.
Speaker 6: We talked about Barton from from Duke as well, But man, I know one thing that powers Johnson when you watched him play there was, you know, and Oregon throws the ball, but you talk about his handle, his area and then get to the second level and play. I do think in the running game it's it's really and and you know, I feel bad for Pollard. They didn't particularly lockwell at center. They weren't particularly good at point of attack, tied end. And this goes back to Schoonmaker. And maybe Schoonmaker gets better, you know, with the off season and stuff like that, and works on those things.
Speaker 3: But we kind of I know, I.
Speaker 6: Thought that he would help in the running game, but they've got to do something thinking about the back and you know, and skip Pete even on the way out of here, told us that that Pollard as the featured guy is not the not the answer here, that you need kind of a complimentary piece to him. So I think if the areas you look at is the center, you look at the running back on two of those offensive positions, for me, is where I would where I would look.
Speaker 5: Y'all said it already.
Speaker 7: I'm all about trying to figure out how to consistently run the ball and do it well in different ways and how that can open up the rest of your offense. I mean, quarterback is crazy good at play action. You didn't do it that much this year. I wonder why there's just things that you could hit hit easy, buttons on and when you don't have the run game. And then also too, you look at how defenses are playing you. They're playing you like that because they know you can't run the ball consistently. So I think it definitely could change some things. So I would look at to your point, Kyle, maybe they get with Solari, he and Micha McCarthy get together and we figure some things out there and hopefully they can move forward from there. I mean, there's a couple of running backs in this draft. I'm sure we're gonna talk about them as well.
Speaker 8: I think I think they're going to be really aggressive this offseason. You thought they were aggressive last offseason. Now they have much more pressure. There's a lot of guys that are allowed to be right one run. I think once free agency opens and once they feel like they can make some trades for some guys, there's gonna be some things happen. There's a big time running back that's going to be a free agent this upcoming off season. Wouldn't be surprised if they go crazy on that.
Speaker 7: It's a big time linebacker.
Speaker 2: Two, there's a couple of them. Yeah, a free agency of course, that'll all hit before the draft. I kind of feel back and forth, but man, you gotta do something and you can't just run it back. And now that you're keeping your head coach, we'll see what happens with the defensive coordinator or the offensive staff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but he needs to be more willing to to to make moves as well. And you know, when you're in, if you're in that kind of that final year of your contract.
Speaker 3: You know, you really he's got nothing.
Speaker 6: Well, he could lose his job, but he could also lose his job if he doesn't fix the things that we're talking about right now. So he needs to you know, his approach needs to Okay, you're telling me we need to do bring this guy in. Let's do it. Let's bring this guy. You know, when will McClay ask you, how can I help you? How can I help you? He doesn't need to say, hey, I love my team. I love my team. You know when coaches say that, I'm like, I can't help.
Speaker 3: You when you love your team, you know.
Speaker 6: But I mean, if you, if you give me somebody, if you if you're a position or to I can go hunt for you right now, then maybe we could be ahead.
Speaker 3: Of these some of the things that we might be up against.
Speaker 4: And we heard that quite a bit at the trade deadline from yeah everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's here.
Speaker 6: Yeah no, yeah, Well the Mike McCarthy prescommor you guys ask him the question. No, we like our guys. As a personal guy, I cry when I hear that, I really do.
Speaker 3: I cry.
Speaker 4: Ask the question, see if he answers the right way.
Speaker 3: And I'm gonna know Brian's.
Speaker 6: And the bail the guy with my head on my desk or you know, the Pablo Escobar.
Speaker 3: For it.
Speaker 7: I had a question, do you do you think it is important though, that going into next year that they figure out what causes them to go the things that they do well when they get in some of these games. I I that's one of the things that I think really has to be focused on is what are And again this is just what I've learned because I'm still early in this game, but most coaches, most teams ocs, they have some foundational plays that are money that they know, our money that they can go to in times where things are kind of tight. I'm just looking at how we would see things one week and we wouldn't see things the next week or whatever the case may be. For me, I'm hoping that there's some consistency and the play calling. And we use the word identity and stuff, but I'm just looking for consistently knowing that these are things that you do well and that you can do them well across different fronts in different places, and so I want to know. I really hope that that's something that shored up this offseason, because I was.
Speaker 9: Confused on that area. And it's also one that we would talk about a lot, is when you're injured, like with the offensive linemen going to the game or the weather games, right, you're kind of tweaking your game playing a little bit. This team didn't go out and play as well, so you've got somewhat and look that might be across the board in the NFL, coaches are just naturally going to have different game plans based on well, I don't quite I'm not as strong with my personnel today or what we're going into a rain or snow.
Speaker 3: Type of game.
Speaker 9: But I kind of like this team to feel so darn confident and cocky about what they're doing, how we're built, how we're going to go and just kick this team's ass that we're not changing anything for nobody. I don't care if we're playing brock Hoffin and TJ. Bass today. We're gonna line up and we're gonna play our game because this is who we are.
Speaker 7: And that's what I mean. It's like the sometimes that would come that's come up this season. Clearly to your point, there's been offensive lineman injuries, there's been injuries with the running backs, there's been stuff that's come up. How can you get to a place to where when those type of things happen it doesn't completely make you negate from who you are as an offense. I think that's really important for them to establish that because guess what other teams know that, homie. They get your injury report too, and they pick up on your tendencies too, and they're like, oh, they got back up offensive linemen in, They're probably not gonna take seven step drops. That's a problem.
Speaker 2: I think there's a little bit of a self reflection.
Speaker 4: Elementary tracking that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's I guess that's what I'm trying.
Speaker 2: To see from a coaching standpoint. A lot of times you don't feel like you changed your game plan, Like if you asked Mike McCarthy in the press conference today, why did you change your game plan? He'd probably say, like, what are you talking about changing our game plan? That was our game plan the whole time. Yeah, the stubborn element of being a coach in the league and kind of the way that it happens. He's got to realize, Okay, we got out of it a little bit.
Speaker 3: We backed out of it.
Speaker 2: We maybe backed off the way that we shouldn't have, both offensively and defensively. I mean, if I'm Mike McCarthy and I'm looking at Dan Quinn running zone on the headset all game long, I'm getting on the headset myself and saying, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Go back to playing man? Did what worked for you all year long?
Speaker 2: You got to find maybe accountability within your staff and accountability within yourself first before you even make a change in terms of your game plan and backing off of it.
Speaker 7: It's a therapy session, it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a little bit. All right.
Speaker 2: We want to get to some names here real quickly before we get into twitter. On the twenty we were talking about offensive weapons, right, we were talking about running back offensive line. Are there any guys we didn't mention a ton of wide receivers and tight ends yesterday, pass catchers that you've watched so far that have caught your eye, and somebody that you can.
Speaker 3: Maybe add to this team.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say necessarily first or SEC, because I think there's other positions of need. But if there's the best player available, what would it be. Is there anybody out there?
Speaker 7: I'm gonna let y'all go further.
Speaker 9: There's a ton of good receipver.
Speaker 3: He looks like she's ready to.
Speaker 4: I got one, go for it.
Speaker 3: Who's your person?
Speaker 7: Listen?
Speaker 4: Okay, don't don't get don't don't make fun of me. If you take we're going to be We're not.
Speaker 7: I'm not gonna take it. Because you mentioned tight end in the back. When I looked at this player, I said, he's a little bit of both in this weird way. Jean Bell f s U South Carolina Transfer.
Speaker 10: Uh huh.
Speaker 7: He's six three, two thirty nine. When I wrote down, I said, this is a running back with like optimal size, And you know what's insane is like I'm gonna throw up when I say it. But when I saw him, I was like, dang, he would look good at san friend because he has that.
Speaker 4: That versatility to him.
Speaker 7: But it's the truth. It's the truth. But I was just looking at his burst. He has good vision because he has experienced, uh he's played multiple spots. He's played multiple spots.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 7: I mean also too when he gets the balls and hit the ball in his hands. He has good vision and his speed is steady, but it's not top level. He has the yacability, like I said, and on him being undersized might be a problem for people who consider him like he's supposed to be a tight end, but when you look at him and he's using like when he's running the ball, he looks like a running back.
Speaker 4: He's just big.
Speaker 7: And so I guess one of the things you will maybe worry about is maybe some of the block and ability and stuff like that. But he's kind of that weird tweener type guy that you could get some production from.
Speaker 4: And I just like his game. I like his game.
Speaker 7: And to your point, he's like not second third round, you know, maybe late third round, maybe fourth of you decide to do that. I haven't done all the stacking and stuff, but he just stood out to me because I feel like you could do some tight end stuff with him, but you can also do some like running back out the backfield type stuff with him as well. So I was just interested by him. It was one of my guys I was interested in list.
Speaker 9: I love Jaeen bell Call. He was one of those guys I watched last year then decided to go back to school. And I mean, I think that you described him perfectly there.
Speaker 3: Personally.
Speaker 9: I mean, he's a Swiss army knife. The dude you can line up all over the place, right, And you're right, because he did play some running back at South Carolina. And then I think that Florida State did a great job of getting the most out of it. If I'm looking at there's a lot of wide It's interesting the wide receiver. We were talking last year, this is your kind of krusty scouting class. This year you got big, tall.
Speaker 7: Long, I said, this is I said, Michael Mayor, is that you man?
Speaker 9: I mean you go from Ady Mitchell, Troy Franklin, Brian Thomas junior, LSU guy, these are big six foot four, I mean even starting at the top with Marvin Harrison junior, Kean Coleman. But I think the guy for me that I do think is interesting, that is a body profile that is different from what this team currently has. Xavier Lagette, the wide receiver from South Carolina six three two twenty seven, kind of has a similar build to like an AJ Brown. When you watch him, You're won the game Cocks Toughness Aware Award in twenty twenty two. So he played South Carolina. You know, he's a special teams guy. Set a school record with about thirty yard average per kick return, so he can impact the return game as well. He's powerful, big lower body, thick leg, strong, physical breakaway speed to pull away from defenders. I think he can block on the edge really good. After the catch, He's got long speed, tremendous athletic ability. You can throw the ball to him on tunnel screen, so hell take it up field. So you know, I think his footwork could improve a little bit off the line of scrimmage to be able to win against some craftied corners. But he's an interesting player that's a little bit different from what you have in that current receiver room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna go with the guy. And I was worried.
Speaker 8: You came very close to taking the guy, but I'm staying at Florida State. I'm going with Johnny Wilson. Oh, so this is this is an.
Speaker 2: Interesting sounds like a Nick Harris prototype.
Speaker 3: A big fan of lip Key.
Speaker 2: Ye little bit A couple guys like the little big type, but I like that.
Speaker 8: So Johnny Wilson, he's a guy that's going to be a type type hybrid.
Speaker 4: It depends on whatever team drafts him, what.
Speaker 8: They want to do with him. What would you do six ft seven, two hundred and thirty seven pounds. I would bring him in the building and work him out a lot of areas and training camp.
Speaker 4: And figure it out.
Speaker 8: That's what I would do six six foot seven, so that they line him up. Yeah, they line him up out wide and he had four hundred and eighty nine snaps lining up out Why this year only fifty lined up in line. So they love to throw it up to him and man, can he can he go up and grab it? You have a Jahim Bell that's a six foot three type tight end and they're comfortable with that.
Speaker 4: I think that speaks more to what Bell can do.
Speaker 8: Actually, but you Loick Wilson does as well on the outside, being able to line up on either boundary and be able to do what he does. It's pretty impressive if you went to Calabasas High School there in North LA, so you know he comes from a little but anything anything you can look at when you see from Johnny Wilson, it's it's really impressive. He's if you're looking for a red zone guy, he is mister red zone guy in this draft. I'm one thousand percent just throw it up to him, receiver receiver. I mean you you line him up at a receiver, figure him out a tight end. The thing that I'm going to be looking at the most from him, though, is when the combine happens. I think he's going to shocks and people at the combine. I think he's gonna lay down a sub four four five Yeah, yeah, he's he can roll.
Speaker 4: So if he lays down, he.
Speaker 9: Looked like run into a long strider forty.
Speaker 4: He's a very long strider.
Speaker 8: If he can lay down a time like that, he's gonna sneak into the second round. I think I think that would obviously hurt Cowboys chances, But I think right now, this is the third round guy that I think you could possibly target if you were looking for, you know, that big body type receiver.
Speaker 4: You're not gonna find a bigger body than this one.
Speaker 3: Kenny Block.
Speaker 8: See, there's not a lot of tape on that because he's he's more so on the boundary. But there are plays where they're running Tray Benson out to the to the wide set and and he's he's out there doing his things.
Speaker 4: So, uh, what kind of scene.
Speaker 10: Man.
Speaker 8: He's gonna be a fun project for whoever drafts him. I think again it's a training camp type project. But one thing for certain, you could throw it up to him inside the twenty and he's gonna come down and grab it.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 7: I feel like I jinxedus. Listen if Sam Fran gets Shahiem Bell, Oh.
Speaker 9: No, please, you can manifest talk about that. I wouldn't mind it yet. I'd love it if the Awboys rafter Jeem Bell, they can do a lot with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you think, Brian?
Speaker 7: Have you watched him?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: I have not, Okay, I can't wait.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm looking forward to it. I did watch a guy. If you're going to trade.
Speaker 3: Back in this draft in the first round, if you want to pick up a third round pick, you know, maybe dance back a little bit.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna give you an offensive tackle that I looked at last night.
Speaker 3: Jordan Morgan from Arizona.
Speaker 6: And the reason I say this because I think Morgan could play guard, but I think he could play tackle if you want to keep if something happens where you move on from Tyron Smith.
Speaker 3: There Jordan Morgan to me, he's starting left tackle for the Walkcat.
Speaker 6: As a matter of fact, he wears number seventy seven, and there's things that he does that reminds me of Tyron Smith. He's six five, he's three hundred and twenty five pounds, and there is no wasted motion or movement in his game at all. I mean, this guy gets away from the line, well, he strikes you right off the set.
Speaker 3: He carries his hands, he tends to carry.
Speaker 6: Him a little low, but then all of a sudden, man there there boom and then the spot and stopping his guy. He's got some rare change of direction to his game. He never appears off balance or out of position. Uh swift, the lateral bursts, the movement, great job of staying in position.
Speaker 3: This is one of those guys I kind.
Speaker 6: Of feel like though that if you you move back in the draft, and maybe some people will like him more than some others, because I know there's some people that are projecting some of these other tackles, like our guy from our guy from a Guidon from Oklahoma.
Speaker 3: I've seen him.
Speaker 6: Kind of in some mock drafts, being Tyler Guidon from Oklahoma TCU transfer Yeah give.
Speaker 4: Me was one of the most difficult kids to cover high Yeah give me.
Speaker 6: Yeah give me Morgan over Geydon all day, all day. And I know there are people that have, like I said, they've seen some mock drafts. But Jordan Morgan is a guy that you're gonna you're you're gonna learn about him. And I hope that you see what I see in this.
Speaker 4: Kid, Jordan Morgan. He's a senior Bowl guy. I'll be looking out for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, please do he may he may. I think he is. He is is. I mean he is. His technique sound perfect in.
Speaker 6: The way he sets, and you know I talk about Tyron Tyron Smith sets and he could still just yeah, And maybe it's because a kid wears seventy seven.
Speaker 3: It just kind of makes my eye look right the right way.
Speaker 9: Hey, he played in the PAC twelve.
Speaker 2: It's one last offensive tackle from the PAC twelve.
Speaker 3: But I tell you what I love that center. I love that center from Oregon. By the way. Yeah, if you're if that, it's gonna it's gonna be close close.
Speaker 2: His name is Powers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Pretty okay, a little bit more context Johnson.
Speaker 8: I mentioned it yesterday, but he's played four of the five offensive line positions up front for Oregon in the last two seasons.
Speaker 4: Go back to the twenty twenty one Alamobile.
Speaker 8: They had a lot of defensive linemen that had entered the portal or had already declared early for the NFL Draft. They're playing Oklahoma and the Alamobile he flips over to defensive tackle and gets three tackles in that game. Was a huge run stopper for them. It comes from a Corner Canyon High School in Draper, Utah. There's only two high schools in Utah that put out talent. That's one of them. That's where the Wilson brothers, when Zach Wilson and his brother Isaac, they put out a ton of talent and they've they've been known for putting out.
Speaker 4: Offensive line talents.
Speaker 8: This guy's mean, you can do a lot of things.
Speaker 3: And Barton from those are mean guys.
Speaker 9: Barton is for sure.
Speaker 8: Tell me about with powers Johnson is he puts power. He puts so much power in front. Sometimes he leaves his feet. He's gonna get thrown down a couple of times in training camp. He's been like, Okay, I can do that here. But I think that'll be I think that'll be a little bit of a learning Yeah, him over here.
Speaker 7: I thought, well, first of all, when you talking about Jordan Morgan, I was dying laughing when I went and looked at his picture because I said, Terry Steele, okay.
Speaker 2: But college photos look especially similar.
Speaker 7: They're very similar. I looked up the fact that we're talking about multiple sport athletes. He used to do shot put, and when you look at how he plays and stuff, I actually just went to look at what shotput requires from a person, and it requires you to have proper technique, strength, power, speed and rhythm. You see that a lot in his play. And when you bring up the fact that he does things like tiring, I actually think that if he was earlier in his anchor, he would be even filthier. Sometimes he is kind of I don't know. I think he trusts his recover a little too much.
Speaker 3: He carries his hands so low.
Speaker 6: Yes, that like if you got him right there, you're kind of ready for that. But he'll kind of weigh in that guy and then it's like he baits you in and then it's.
Speaker 7: Bammed yeh on you absolutely yea. Once he gets his hands on you, it's pretty dead in the water.
Speaker 2: And Will McClay has really been adamant about two sport athletes in the past. He really likes the fact that he has two sport athletes in these feet, especially on the defense of an offensive lines. All right, we ran over. We're coming back with Twitter on the twenty right after this.
Speaker 5: I'm Duk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: And they snapped the press. Guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 5: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With Blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 2: Press Scot's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 5: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 10: I'm Darren Woodson, former Dallas Cowboy player, and when I played in the NFL at a high level, I relied on my vision to see the field. As I started getting older, I noticed my vision wasn't as good and I was getting frustrated from wearing my glasses all day. I went to Lasercare Eye Center and Doctor G talked about all the options. Thanks to technology and Lasercare Eye Center, I can.
Speaker 5: See near far in between.
Speaker 9: Don't fumble your vision any longer.
Speaker 10: Visit them at dfwis dot com and tell them Darren Center.
Speaker 9: They got me back on my game.
Speaker 11: In a stressful world, Lincoln provides balance and calm amidst the chaos by creating sanctuaries that move you through the world with ease. Our vehicles make your time richer and more uplifting with human centric design, intelligent technology, and powerful performance. As the official luxury vehicle of the Dallas Cowboys, driving a Lincoln is just another way to show your team pride. Experience our full lineup of luxury vehicles, including the Corsair Aviator, Navigator and Nautilists at Lincoln dot com Hi.
Speaker 12: I'm Danny mccraig, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our Smoothi bowls into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Issai or Ptaya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Ranola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only as Smoothie King. The official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Shop.
Speaker 2: Back here on the Draft Show presented by Miller Light. It's time now, and we don't have the sounder unfortunately today. We'll have it back next week, I promise, so Zach Wilchuck's gonna do us the favors. It's time for.
Speaker 9: Some Twitter on the twenty Twentytty good. It's good, I like it.
Speaker 7: I dook the echo for you, all right.
Speaker 4: We got to.
Speaker 3: Blow through this real quick.
Speaker 2: All right, there are some mood questions. The first one this year, the position groups across the board feel wide open? Says uh, is this Rico Swabe? Oh no, no, no, it's Raina tweets this in says position groups and position opens are wide open. Do you feel like it's more wide open than years past in terms of where these positions rank across the board in the NFL draft class.
Speaker 8: I don't know as far as comparing it to years past, but I will say there is quite a I think the jury still out on what even like the top five position groups would be. I think we're going to get a lot of certainty out of out of these Bowl games here in the next couple of weeks, though.
Speaker 2: You think it always plays a factor these All Star games as much as absolutely?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think when it's you see the good on good competition, and you also see you have hands on and then you'll see you'll see the competitive guys out there.
Speaker 3: You go to the Senior Bowl. The practices.
Speaker 6: One of the greatest Senior Bowl practices I ever was is Zach Martin, you know, Aaron Donald going at it. I mean, you stood there and watched those one on ones and you could have drafted both those players off just that one off, one on one drill right there. So those bowl games mean a lot to a lot of these scouts.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I do think that this is a special offensive tackle class compared to years past. It is really deep, and I think the top two guys for sure Fashanu from Penn State and Alt in Notre Dame. I mean, I think teams are going to alternate, like which one do they see as the better one? I think yeah, al for Joe Alt. I think Joe Alt might have the more upside and potential. I don't think he's quite a finished product. I think Lufashanu might be, like I think you know what you're getting out of him, but he's a dude that didn't allow a single sack and the last two years there at Penn State. I also think the wide receiver class is better than it was a year ago. And we've kind of been talking about it, like are we in the golden age of wide receivers right now in the draft, But this year's kind of more what I think most scouts, as we talked about a our customers too, better are different. I think it's I think it's better personally, I think it's deeper. I mean it is different for sure, because we were talking like the tank Dell's, the Za Flowers, I mean, Brian. During the whole process, we're like, we got to train our eyes, like we got to be more open minded to having some of these smaller guys doesn't mean they're not going to be productive. Those two guys certainly showed that in their rookie year. But this year, I think you've got more of your natural, taller, longer builded wide receivers. But those are the two groups that I think have really impressed me that are deep, Like I mean, you've got five to ten in that offensive tackle wide receiver range that you're like, man, I feel really great about these guys that I'm watching right now.
Speaker 8: Yeah, last year in the receiver class, you had the deer, and this year you have the Gaels.
Speaker 4: Yes, yeah, it's a lot the deer in the gazelle.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I mean even so when you look at the you know, obviously this is my second year, so it was just like looking at the difference and even what is available running back, It's like, yeah, dog, like this is not what last year was at all, and even a linebacker is like, I mean, this guy's it's like maybe five ten guys that I'm like, Okay, these guys can really go out there and they can be ready. But it's just it's it's changing. It's interesting to see how much has changed.
Speaker 4: This next season.
Speaker 3: EJ. Savage says, what position, by the way, quarterback? Oh, I think, oh yeah, I think quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: Yeah it is.
Speaker 3: I think this is a good quarterback class. I really don't.
Speaker 8: I think it's a little top heavy though. I think you have the guys at the top that are really solid and really good. But once you lie in the middle rounds, I'm a little.
Speaker 6: I've been a drafting before where there's one quarterback. Yeah, if that's fair, If you give me five quarterbacks to look.
Speaker 2: At that that's the thing is if you can get six or seven drafted quarterbacks that have a chance to play, that's a good class.
Speaker 3: And I think this class has six or seven like that.
Speaker 10: E J.
Speaker 2: Savage says, what position, separate of need pushes the neat needle the most for the Dallas Cowboys, which one would move the needle the most back and forth? I guess you could say quarterback. But that wouldn't necessarily happen immediately. That would happen down the road. So he's had a side from positions, says separate of need, but just in general, what position group would would move the needle for you.
Speaker 6: I don't think they're doing anything at quarterback because of Lance. Yeah, they made their deal on.
Speaker 2: They spin a fourth round pick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's Lance. That's you're not going to draft a quarterback. H No. But moving the needle though without the need because we.
Speaker 4: Did I would say receiver.
Speaker 8: I would say receiver getting a big bodied receiver, I mean because of how good I mean technically, it is a need, but I don't think that's one of the top four positions we're looking at whenever we look at needs in this draft.
Speaker 4: But they go and get a big edge. Yeah, like a really outage but like also really physical.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah. Corner maybe, I mean you bring some depth to corner.
Speaker 2: Stefan Gilmour specific if he's not healthy going into it, do you want to keep him around.
Speaker 3: Jordan Lewis is coming out too, So one thing we've proven here is corner.
Speaker 6: A guy coming off injury needs to about week nine before he starts yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna say tight end another one.
Speaker 3: You always like the tight end.
Speaker 7: I'm saying tit. Obviously, I think you need someone to consistently pair with ferg that's gonna help you in the passing game. I don't know if Spoon is gonna develop to that. Maybe he can, like that's whatever, But with John Stevens, we don't know what he's gonna be like coming back from Aco. Also to what happens with Peyton Hendershot. I do think that maybe outside of that, you can look at tight end and see if you can get something there that's a receiving threat but also can help you on the run game.
Speaker 3: There's freak shows.
Speaker 9: I mean Jatavian Sanders obviously we know well went to Dent and Ryan here locally. Kate Stover I ended up watching last year. He went back. That's another big bodied receiver that can block in line that also is going to catch in the football. But safety, for me, every safety that I've watched so far pretty solid. Kinchins from Miami. Tyler Nuban is a guy that thought about coming out last year that I saw. Really watched him again the other night out of Minnesota. Really good player like him a lot. Yeah, safety, And then I talked about Javon Bullard from Georgia. Who's my guy? You know? So I think? And hey, Curse is a free eight. Uh you know Malik Hooker. Do you want to move Bell back to safety if you don't need him as a linebacker, but it'd be interesting. I think there's some talent of the safety class this year in the draft.
Speaker 2: Well, and does the safety prototype change for this team if dan Quinn's not your defensive coordinator very well?
Speaker 4: Could absolutely?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, yeah, just.
Speaker 8: With how many dbs that they like to run, the hybrid roles that they try to have, because if you have a if you have dan Quinn in the building, then you're looking at, you know, a day two, day three guy like Jalen Simpson out of Auburn who has that hybrid ability. And if not, then maybe you're looking for that true safety type ability, a guy like Tyler Newban.
Speaker 4: I mean, he would have to be a second round Tye guy.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: I think he's I think he's the best run defender dB in this class.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think, best combo and he can also cover.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's he's really really strong and Ryer right.
Speaker 3: Off the Yeah boom you well, I haven't seen him yet. No, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: Well, Chuck, like he texts me at all weird hours of the night like, Hey, I'm watching this Minnesota kid man.
Speaker 3: I think he's great. And that's all he says. You know, it's just like it's just like it random thoughts. I love that. That's what that's what draft seasons at all about. That's what it's all about. All Right.
Speaker 6: You watched the USC kid Bullock not a big fan, and that was at one exactly Eastern time.
Speaker 2: All right, when we come back, I'm gonna keep Twitter on the Twitter, going tweet Twitter on the twenty going there you go, thank you got it, and I'm.
Speaker 3: Going to merge a bunch of questions.
Speaker 2: Would you trade back if you're the Dallas Cowboys from twenty four more Draft show right after this, all.
Speaker 13: Right, Drew Pearson, former Day now Pro Football Hall of Famer. Here, if you're struggling with your vision and tired of those contacts and glasses, don't throw ahell Mary go where I went. Lasercare Eye Center, the official laser partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: Drew, thank you so much for trusting us with your vision correction procedure.
Speaker 1: At lasercare I Center, we offer six different vision correction procedures to help patient see.
Speaker 13: Check them out at dfwis dot com. Tell them Drew sent you Hoodhut.
Speaker 11: In a stressful world, Lincoln provides balance and calm amidst the chaos punctuaries that move you through the world. Our vehicles make your time richer and more uplifting with human centric design, intelligent technology, and powerful performance. As the official luxury vehicle of the Dallas Cowboys, driving a Lincoln is just another way to show your team pride. Experience our full lineup of luxury vehicles, including the Corsair Aviator, Navigator, and Natilists at Lincoln dot com.
Speaker 5: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and a snap.
Speaker 4: Of the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left, He'll look full a first down.
Speaker 5: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 2: Rus Scott's gonna run this us himself, run it up the middle and he scores.
Speaker 5: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 5: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 12: Hi, I'm Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothieking, and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothie bowls into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Isai or Fataya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors, only at Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show.
Speaker 2: Back here on the Draft Show presented by Miller Lte. We have to be off the air because Mike McCarthy is going up Perio at about five