Speaker 1: Welcome to Dirty Rush The Truth about Sorority Life with your hosts me Gia Judice.
Speaker 2: Daisy Kent, and Jennifer Kessler. Hi, everybody, this is Trista Setter. I'm here with Joan Vassos. Is that how you pronounce your name? I've never even said it out loud?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you did it perfectly. Funny, you do it perfectly. It is that's funny. We don't do you know.
Speaker 2: I'm like, that's so random. And Gabby, we are here for Dirty Rush and we're so excited, and of course we're in Tahoe. We were talking about how much fun it is to do these events. Have you done other iHeart events for us?
Speaker 4: I went to jingle Ball okay, yes, in La which was so fun. But that is the only other iHeart event and I am loving it here. I've never been to Tahoe and I'm like, this is insane.
Speaker 3: Isn't the most beautiful?
Speaker 2: If I want to move here, I'm like on zillow, you know, just like you or my husband, I guarantee you every probably over place I go to.
Speaker 5: I'm like, oh, this one looks nice.
Speaker 3: Five million dollars.
Speaker 6: I spent every vacation of my entire life with my late husband, him deciding that we had to buy a place, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me too.
Speaker 5: I'm not sending it to my fiance.
Speaker 4: I'm like, we could live here, you know, we just got a house, but like, what about this one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I love it. I love it. Yes, Tahoe is amazing. So thank you for coming. I know we talked a little bit about pickleball and you don't know a lot about it, but I'm here to help.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. You're such a giver.
Speaker 3: She's just recruiting people to be in her. In her I don't want to.
Speaker 2: Get her to do it to you.
Speaker 4: I want to get into it, but like I need to take a lesson. I actually know what's going on. I just need to know, like the lingo and the roles, and then.
Speaker 5: I feel like, okay, it's just probably.
Speaker 3: You have long legs. You look like an athlete.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I want you on my team.
Speaker 5: I do plates you.
Speaker 3: Because I'm not going to be that good. Just pre warning you.
Speaker 2: Oh all right, back to dirty Rush. So we're going to go through schools that we went to. Where were you in college?
Speaker 5: I went to Ole Miss Oh, so craziest rush place. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was wild.
Speaker 2: And when did you graduate?
Speaker 4: I graduated in twenty nineteen, so kind of before all the like TikTok.
Speaker 3: Stuff happened, dancing, the matching outfits and all that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and before like the whole like documentary came out about Bama Rush.
Speaker 5: I like was right before that. Yeah, experienced it before you went oh no, no no.
Speaker 4: I was, like I graduated right before all graduated like started becoming like such a social media craze, which I'm kind of glad because I was just gonna ask you, Yeah, I think it would have been too much ole Miss. I mean, the girls do not mess around. You guys have probably seen like game day outfits. Ole Miss is like next level girls being.
Speaker 5: Extra yeah in the best way. Yeah, And I love that for them.
Speaker 6: But I love it how people dress up for the games and they make it. They make the Saturday is like an event every Saturday during football completely it's it is and and the sororities and fraternities are like such a big part of it. They are they're not athletes, but they are as big as you know, for the football day, as any as the players are.
Speaker 4: I mean, those are like the tenths you go to so you like always have a little home to go to that has food and everything you need except alcohol, So you got to go to the frat tents for that, but you know where to find out.
Speaker 2: So I went to Indiana graduated in ninety one five, graduating ninety five, and I was an alpha kai. What were you? I was a pie fi Okay, amazing. I'm going to write you down for my letters of recommendation for my daughter. I'm just kidding. I just wrote down Joan. But I she might be going through it next year because she's going next year. We don't know she's saying in high school.
Speaker 5: It's just saying okay o exciting.
Speaker 2: So I'm kind of right kind of reliving all of this through her a little bit.
Speaker 3: I'm getting nervous right now because it's a lot of pressure.
Speaker 5: It's so much.
Speaker 4: I went and I'm from Vermont, and I didn't know like how sororities and fraternities were, and I knew rush was going to be a big thing, but I didn't know all of the stuff that went into it, so I didn't have recommendation letters like I remember emailing people desperately like before I went, like please write me a wreck, Like here's my resume and I'm a good person.
Speaker 5: Here's a picture of me.
Speaker 2: And I didn't I didn't get a lot.
Speaker 5: So it's like really hard to.
Speaker 1: Know.
Speaker 5: They're like, oh, you know legacy, Sorry, I can't help.
Speaker 4: I mean it's legacies, like the top houses are you really have to be a legacy or you have to know.
Speaker 5: People when all the top houses you would.
Speaker 4: Say, it's Katie, Ti, Dell, and Kyo. Those are like the three top houses and Katie is like where like Leanne Touey went. That's that's her sorority.
Speaker 2: So it was kind of crazy, is that sorry? The blind Side No, the movie football Player, that is the mother. The mother is Tety and so she was like a huge donor.
Speaker 5: And like like.
Speaker 4: When we would go through Rush, they put in like very strict parameters, like the second year I was there, so you couldn't do like there used to be a skit round where you would do like these crazy fun skits. They took that out because they wanted to be like a more even playing field and they made us wear like specific T shirts. You could only wear the T shirts until like Sisterhood and then you could or pref and you could wear a dress, but.
Speaker 5: Show no, they get.
Speaker 4: Fined, like big fines, like fifty thousand dollars like fines, and she would pay.
Speaker 2: It a thousand dollars fines.
Speaker 4: I didn't know. I don't know how much it was, but it was rumored that, like because they would wear like light up shoes and that's against the rules, like because you can't like try to like waite for adults. Like yeah, like they would like so we would have to do the chance right and they'd be doing the chants with their feet and they would be like in light up shoes.
Speaker 5: It was crazy.
Speaker 4: Russia Ole miss was so insane. And when you were the one like putting it on like our people, I also don't know I'm allowed to say, but whatever, they can come for me. They would go to the top of the street and they would have us in the house and if they could not hear us screaming at the top of the street with the door shut.
Speaker 5: Then we had to keep doing it and keep doing it.
Speaker 2: My lord.
Speaker 3: We loved.
Speaker 5: We had so much fun. I mean, was like the best week.
Speaker 4: It is like, well, so you do like rush prep week and you go the week before school and you have all themed days and that's when you really got screaming. But Rush nights you would be up all night, like you'd be at the sorority house to.
Speaker 2: Like, Yes, it's such a bonding time truly, and they always put it right at like midterms. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was like, this is perfect because OLMOS is one of the only schools and it doesn't.
Speaker 5: Rush before I went there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that apparently it's like for girls who like try to transfer something if they don't get this, I don't know there is leasing to it.
Speaker 2: Now I'm questioning myself if Indiana did. My brain doesn't work very well these days. But yes, that's that's crazy crazy. Yeah, oh my gosh. I love all these crazy stories. No, it's so many because I also don't remember so much of my experience. I just have a bad memory anyway. But what I do remember is Rush, so our different I was in Alpha Kai yeah, and our story and like all the sororities that Indiana and Indiana has a massive Greek system and we would all do the skits and so you're part of all the skits and I remember that, like my mom was a buyer for sacks, but maybe not at that time, like maybe it was one of the Targets stores or whatever with their department stores, and so she would have like stuff laying around the house that like it was a sample. Yeah exactly. So I had samples of sequin dresses. And I remember like we did a skit and we needed dresses or something. I'm like, oh, I got that. And just like just the bonding time with your with your friends who were like excited about the skits, whether it's dancing or singing or talking or hosting or like just getting people excited. I just remember that as such a special time where we all got to just bondh and have fun together. It was so fun.
Speaker 5: I made so many friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I hated it at first, So did you.
Speaker 4: Freshman year, I was like I didn't want pie Fi. I want to find you, okay, And my gamma Kay got me a recommendation letter from pi FI.
Speaker 5: And because I was too scared to like dirty rush.
Speaker 2: Actually does actually dirty rush meaning you said I like Ole miss Like, basically, if you're like being dirty Rush, it means you're going outside of the rules of engagement for potential new members.
Speaker 4: So like let's say like a Kappa was like, Hey, come to my pregame. That is dirty rushing because they are rushing.
Speaker 3: You outsideide of the rush.
Speaker 4: So the only time you're allowed to interact with the sorority girls that are active members, it was during this thing called the Care Walk, which is like a breast cancer awareness walk. And so I was like scared to like get in trouble, and so I stuck with my gamma Ka. I was the only person that stayed with our gamma Kai. All the other ones went to like the girls that they were trying to.
Speaker 5: Like rush for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they went to the different girls they knew and the sororities.
Speaker 5: What happens to those girls, Like if they're well.
Speaker 4: They're okay because they're allowed to interact on that day because you can't tell somebody what pace they can walk at, like everyone they're gonna be out there, you can, I mean, if you want to speed walk, speed walk.
Speaker 5: So that was a dirty rushing.
Speaker 4: But that's why she was like, I thought it was really nice for sticking with her.
Speaker 5: So she got me a wreck letter.
Speaker 4: But I wanted to find you, and I almost was like I was, I was like, I'm not running home to pi Fey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I loved it.
Speaker 3: You end up loving it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I ended up loving it.
Speaker 6: I went to University of Maryland and I was a Delta game. I graduated in eighty five. I didn't rush. I rushed when I was a sophomore, and I didn't get DGI, so I just didn't take a bid from the sorority that I got an offer from, which would have been actually a great match for me, and I maybe should have done that. But I rushed again the next year without any guarantee, and I got DGI, which was what I wanted.
Speaker 3: But like, I'm not.
Speaker 6: Positive like that was the end all I thought it was at the time because I had a good friend, I knew girls in that sorority. Yeah, and I felt comfortable there, but I was. I got an offer from Theta and it was a really good house, and my best friend ended up going there becoming a Theta and like she had a great college experience. So like I think you can you might be surprised if you don't get your first choice, that it may happen for a reason.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, I ended you loving it.
Speaker 4: And I met like so many of my best friends there, and I had best friends and other sororities too, so it was like fine, yeah, we all like sometimes we like.
Speaker 5: Crash each other's like date parties exactly.
Speaker 1: I love that it kicked out, but we're like no, like I'm the d D, Like yeah, hello, it's yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: I want to go through some aspects of recruitment that are really big today and just talk about our opinions. So social media marketing, we've got hiring social media directors to promote your sorority during work week. That's a thing.
Speaker 4: That's been a thing that has been a thing, but it was just different. Like when I went through Rush in twenty fifteen, it.
Speaker 7: Was like like thirteen fifteen, fifteen, twenty fifteen, it was like people was making they were making music videos, right, and so they would hire like companies to basically make music videos.
Speaker 4: It was different, but it was the same, and they'd be on YouTube and Facebook and like, oh my gosh, it was electric. It was like, I mean, it'll take you back if you watch it. I mean it's like girls like dancing around, Like I'm like, you know the OG videos of like girls like frolicking around together, Like, oh my gosh, I want to be a part of that.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 5: So that's been a thing.
Speaker 3: I wow, for a while, it really sold you. You rush yeah, and you're like, oh my god, that's the house I wanted.
Speaker 2: You want to be part of a solreaty because of their social media marketing.
Speaker 4: Not necessarily, but there's ones I didn't want to be a part of.
Speaker 2: Really. I was like, I don't think it can work against them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it can, but like it's like everything in life, right, like okay, Like I mean maybe.
Speaker 6: That video attracted other types of girls and that it worked out right each other.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't have fit in at like tried all yeah, like those aren't my girls, but they're beautiful and cute and southern and proper.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was like from the Northeast, Like you know, I wasn't totally Yeah, I'm not proper. I'm like I like on the farm, you know.
Speaker 2: So it's good to do right now, you're just stunning, Okay, TikTok dances. I'm sure you all have seen the dances on social media. They're they're full out routines. Is so true. The picking of the front girls is a big deal. I can't even imagine what goes down when they're auditioning, Like who first of all is it the rush director who's auditioning and she's the one who picks and it is usual friend chair.
Speaker 4: That like is like a dance well at least for us, it was like there was a chair that was assigned by the rush person yea, or not a chair, but like somebody that ran it. And she was like somebody who did dance all through high school where was on the dance team.
Speaker 2: And she was like, I can.
Speaker 4: Choreograph, yep, I can teach the girls all of this. And then that's how it was decided. Or they choose the cute girls and give you.
Speaker 5: Something simple yep, like like our doorstacks.
Speaker 2: They would what's that mean?
Speaker 5: Oh so almoss, I love.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 4: They banned this, I think because they were actually dangerous. But literally we would start so the bottom girls would be on their hands and knees and we would climb on top of each other, so we would stack all the way up the door and so we would oh my god, it like actually haunts me.
Speaker 5: Would be like flipping our freaking heads like rush proby.
Speaker 3: I mean it was.
Speaker 5: It was borderline demonic. But to where to God?
Speaker 2: I have a video going on, people, I will show you.
Speaker 4: After this this video from I have to go on my Snapchat memories, but it is crazy.
Speaker 3: Gosh, oh, oh my god.
Speaker 5: That's a doorstack.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Why didn't you it was like furniture to stand on instead of because we did.
Speaker 5: Once the girls were out of the house, we rushed, We rushed to the front.
Speaker 2: We all stepped up.
Speaker 4: So then we were like bye, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye from that one hundred girls, I think nar Yeah, and then you had girls like like behind like being like bye bye.
Speaker 3: Because they could they couldn't get that.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: They couldn't be seen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was just insane.
Speaker 3: I can't imagine how those top people got up.
Speaker 5: There, and did they ever get They run and jump on each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're just stepping on sisters. Yeah, that's a message you want to show.
Speaker 5: Hold each other up.
Speaker 3: Look at us. We step on each other.
Speaker 2: We hold hold each other.
Speaker 3: It's all about the marketing. Yep, each other each.
Speaker 5: Other up exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay. This is a big thing that I have seen lately is sponsorships. Brands are partnering with sororities to promote their brands, like Poppy with alex Earle. I remember seeing her walking into her sorority house or during rush or whatever. I wonder it's kind of like the the football trend of like paying the college athlete. I know, and I don't know if I like it.
Speaker 3: I mean, guining brand sponsorships.
Speaker 2: I mean I feel like, yes, good for them, but also I don't know, there's something like kind of like.
Speaker 4: It's true market like it are you talking like person a person, like one person gets a brand new or it's for the sorority as a whole sorority.
Speaker 6: I think like Poppy will give you know, twenty cases a poppy and they want you to show them holding it.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I will say if they're making money from it, if it goes to the sorority, and oh they should be paying the sorority for if it helps with maintenance and lowering people's dues.
Speaker 2: True, I'm good with that.
Speaker 5: If it goes to philanthropy, I'm good with that, true story.
Speaker 3: But if it's just.
Speaker 2: Being I mean, because there's a brand like wanting exposure and being like, well, we're sending all this stuff, so just post it.
Speaker 5: It's like, well, like.
Speaker 4: You're getting a lot of like exposure from this, and you know these girls are going to be so excited about your products, they're going to go out and.
Speaker 2: Buy them themselves. Totally agree.
Speaker 4: So I don't know, I feel like there are good things that come from that. And like I know, our dues were really high and then they started doing renovations on our house and they like went up so much.
Speaker 2: Remember last year, I was like, thank god, I'm leaving, Like, yeah, these are crazy.
Speaker 5: It was like another tuition.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're right, if someone smart in the in the sorority house or at the university or whatever is setting up brand deals for your actual house and you're able to, like you said, give back to your philanthropy or pay for dues or renovations or whatever. Great. So it's an all group thing. But if there's one particular person, I just don't know if that like would sit well with me.
Speaker 3: I didn't picture it that way.
Speaker 2: You know, like if one person is getting like security sisters to like like that, but you know, whatever to each if it was a whole like it, yeah, I think it would be. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it's actually be kind of interesting to see what brands sorry, it's actually offer like you could see I can see a lot of lipstick brands.
Speaker 3: I could see a lot of makeup brands.
Speaker 2: Offering make up.
Speaker 3: I could see. I could see a big industry there, like the odor.
Speaker 2: It would be a like Salt and Stone needs to get in there because there's a great like none of these cute cute or any there's a ton of tennis skirts you have to all the time, like.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah they could.
Speaker 5: There are opportunities.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of opper many of the schools where you could offer them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, maybe we should get into this business.
Speaker 6: I mean, okay, the three of us, we should do this.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Outfits of the Day. Both actives and p and ms post their outfits of the day on their social media, explaining where every item is from.
Speaker 3: Great Little Brandy not.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love outfits of the day for me, especially like the discount ones where I'm like, you want that from Walmart? I'm going, I'm.
Speaker 3: I never before in my life and I went and went and I did a Walmart hole.
Speaker 2: Lately really good, such good.
Speaker 5: Stuff like that. My Texas home line is insane.
Speaker 3: No I haven't seen it.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh, I've I bought like ten of them. Okay, they have.
Speaker 2: So good. I'm all about that. Like if girls want to share their own outfits of the day, like go for it.
Speaker 4: I will say, it can be a brutal place. Though I read some of the comments, I'm like.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh, like people are ruthless, and then it makes me sad because I like think about how scary rushes and how intimidate and then I'm like, like, you're right, she's just a girl. You're just especially thinking about my daughter going I would want about that because I wouldn't want to know.
Speaker 4: It just like makes me so sad because it really is kind of a toxic experience because you just you doubt yourself so much.
Speaker 3: It's an ego like it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it just like tears you down a little bit.
Speaker 3: No matter well, you're super vulnerable freshman in college.
Speaker 4: Unless you like really go in. You're like, I'm a triple legacy here. I know exactly where I'm going to go to people like worship literally at your feet, because that's what they do.
Speaker 2: They do your.
Speaker 5: Feet, sit by the feet, we say on legacy people.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, everyone like I would sit like if I was the p and M I would and I was the active would be sitting right here really like on their knees, like talking to me, like.
Speaker 2: And you were the triple Legacy or is this for everybody?
Speaker 4: I just mean, like if it wasn't like my my experience was like really daunting and scary and intimidating. And I do feel like it bruised my ego, which that's always a good thing. You can only go up from there. Sometimes you need to be humbled. But I just feel for some of the girls that post things and then they just get like absolutely destroyed.
Speaker 5: I'm like, she's just trying to like do what everyone is trying to be.
Speaker 2: Can you I'm sorry, I'm going to go back to this, like sitting with everyone sitting at your feet. That's how it works now, Yeah.
Speaker 4: So like I could pretend to do you know, but yeah, so they like sit right there, like literally at.
Speaker 2: Your knees and they're literally sitting on the ground and you're in a chair.
Speaker 4: The P and M is in a chair, and then the active person is on their knees sitting next to you. And then when it gets to and it's just one, it's just one, so it's one to one.
Speaker 5: And then somebody if it's a girl that you I don't know if I'm well, I don't I didn't sign that NDA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I think I like, I don't know. Anyways, maybe if they're really good, I'm they would like shift like more girls to come and talk to them so they felt really loved okay, so like it'd be like, oh, I met this girl and I met this girl and they're so cute and like, you know, you learn all the questions to ask people, and like, if you get somebody talking about we actually did like a workshop to like show you how to talk to people, and it's stuck with me my whole life. But if you get really great lesson it is and if you can get people to talk about themselves, they only remember you're right, like it that it was a good Like that's good. They like them more because they were talking about themselves, because everyone loves themselves deep down and they just want to talk about themselves. So if you can get a girl talking about themselves, they will like.
Speaker 5: You more and like your house.
Speaker 2: Are you saying that you would recommend for people who because you are the most recent of the three of us to go through this For my daughter, are you saying that you would recommend for her to make the active talk about themselves so that it leaves a positive input and question.
Speaker 4: I feel like if you can find common ground with someone and like ask questions, that will, like, you know, help you find that.
Speaker 5: Like honestly, I.
Speaker 4: Got to find my notebook from my therapist because she gave me some really go.
Speaker 5: Will because it was like truly amazing.
Speaker 4: She like gave me like a bullet point list of like how to get people to open up. And I got it before I went on the show because I was like, I'm scared of all these girls, like I like feel like I'm like I don't know what I'm gonna do. I like feel like I can't talk to people. And she was like, no, you're really good at talking to people. I was like, like, well what do you do? Like you're the therapist, You've got me to say a lot of secrets here.
Speaker 2: I was like, like, give me something to work with, Megan. So she did.
Speaker 5: Thank you to her. But I still have the notebook and.
Speaker 3: You send me a page of that too.
Speaker 2: Personal stuff. But it's not just this genius questions. I love this.
Speaker 4: I remember the questions now, but it was just question people feel comfortable opening up.
Speaker 5: To you and like they don't. I don't know, you just want people to feel safe totally.
Speaker 2: And I feel like, yes, it's great from an active perspective of looking at p and ms and thinking like I want to leave this impression because I want them to like my house. But I also think it's amazing for the p and ms to have to be able to make the active feel loved and listen to and heard because they want to leave a positive impression on them and they can get into the house.
Speaker 4: And they will stand If you really love someone, you will stand up.
Speaker 2: I remember that. Yeah, yeah, you fight for people that you love you all right. This has been amazing, Like I seriously feel like we could talk for hours, Like I just want to pick your brain, Like literally, I'm going to get your number and I'm I'd even call you next year and be like, Gabby, can you talk to blakesleep.
Speaker 6: Like camp starts now at the beginning of the summer three months and you show we're going.
Speaker 2: To play a pickle. Thank you everybody for listening. This is Dirty Rush and this has been trista and amazing. I'm Gabby, You're amazing and everybody can listen to a Dirty Rush podcast on Instagram and TikTok. Thank you for listening okay,