Speaker 1: Wait till answer up in the morning, The Breakfast Club Morning.
Speaker 2: Everybody's thej Envy Jess Hilarious, Charlamage, the guy. We are the Breakfast Club. We got some special guests in the building.
Speaker 1: Yes, indeed we got Little brother absolutely.
Speaker 3: Big Pool.
Speaker 4: How y'all brother's feeling Man good Man were alive, so you can afore thankful, thankful they got the new documentary, Made a Lord Watch the Little Brother's Story.
Speaker 1: Why that title, I mean, first it we started this when we were making the album Made a Little Watch twenty eighteen, twenty eighteen, So this was kind of like to bring into that era and it just made sense. It just really made sense, like thinking about everything that we kind of went through and survived, the Lord had to be watching over us. There was no other fucking explanation. I So no, man, that was just kind of felt just felt like a conclusion of that chapter. And yeah, five years in the making. Man. So it's out now on YouTube.
Speaker 2: But let's let's talk from the begin and for people that don't know who Little Brothers and how you got together and how you met, which is pretty dope.
Speaker 1: You your brothers met at HBCU. Absolutely Carolina unc University. Shout out Eagle pride, This Durma Carolina nineteen Well, I came in ninety seven. I came in ninety eight. We met in ninety eight. In ninety eight where we met.
Speaker 2: You're from Rialley, Virginia. From Virginia to Old Diminion's supposed to go to. My wife went to Older Minion. She graduated mo Old Dominion. That's that's how I know I.
Speaker 1: Still got my ID from when I went to orientation. You still got the ID.
Speaker 3: I want to tell your mama though, why you why you waited till the day.
Speaker 1: Before exaggerated fam. It wasn't the day before, it was a week before. Nah, I mean that was that was my first big decision, as you know, an eighteen year old was was making that decision. And I mean she let me make the decision for myself. But it's still my mom, you know what I mean. Like I don't cuss in front of my mama to this day, you know what I mean. But nah, I mean, but still it's just it's one of the things like I have a healthy fear. My mom is so.
Speaker 5: Healthy healthy fear.
Speaker 1: My mom got Napoleon complex man, She not.
Speaker 2: Like HBCUs because I mean, you go to it was free.
Speaker 1: It wasn't the HBCU thing. It was the I was gonna be staying with living with my uncle, so her brother. So she knew, like, Yo, you're good, good, You're down there with family. None of us had been to Durham, North Carolina. None of us had heard of North Carolina Central. So for her it was just a shock, like what what where you going? I thought you was gonna be you know where I had a hand on you. So she went to that. Nah, my mom didn't go to college. She went to she went to nursing school, go to college. But so yeah, so it was just one of the things where it happened. I literally got in Central. It happened in like a week, you know what I'm saying. Like the whole process from asking to do you want to go to me doing paperwork and it happened in like a week. So it was just moving and I was like, oh, ship, I'm in there. I'm going Okay, now I gotta tell me mom.
Speaker 3: I would think she'd be happy.
Speaker 1: She was happy, that's the thing, Like she was happy for me. But it was just the thing of this isn't where we thought you were. This wasn't plan I had, this is this is your plan now now I think it was the realization of it goes from my plan for you to your plan for you control anymore. And I'm her you know, I'm her youngest son. So it was just one of the things of like ship, I gotta let go now, and so that's what it was.
Speaker 2: So he got to college and you guys met each other. So talk about that process. How you guys met. I know a lot of this is actually domary, but how you guys met and what attracted you guys together and then you started this rap group that became underground Legends.
Speaker 1: Man, it was, uh, it was very organic. I met pool well first, I met ninth. We met uh what we I think I met? We met first ninety eight? Yeah, we met night. Yeah, so yeah, we met through a mutual friend. Uh nine was on campus and and he was we was moving in the dorm. Like we saw each other from the dorm and uh over Source magazine we started chopping up all this is in the dock. But long story short, we basically just kind of started, you know, working together. This was at a time when you know, it was at the time this is like ninety eight, So this is when no limit is like killing everything, especially up. Yeah, so hbce you no limit at Like the Ghetto d album dropped my freshman year, that was all you heard in every room, like we was bumping that shit. Nonock body listen what listen man? We ran ghetto dope. So but so everybody was pumping that. So if you were a kid that was into like raucous or soundbomb, like, you know, meeting someone else that was into that that was kind of rare, you know what I mean. So when you met somebody that was on that same wave, if it's like, oh shit, I found my people. So we just kind of linked up and just started making records and people are out there.
Speaker 2: When he said Ruckus Ruckus record, you got to tell him because somebody potentializing because this was the label that you know, I would lyrical, miracle, spiritual.
Speaker 1: Very criminal, umbilical, that type of thing.
Speaker 3: You can't help it break down, they said, rockets.
Speaker 1: Somebody might not know what it was. You know, it was very much. They were like it was an underground label, but it was you know, I mean most quality. You know, it was like pretty much all Eminem was on Rocket sound Bomb. Yeah. So so they were just you know, putting out amazing stuff that we really enjoyed, and so we just kind of started making records, put some stuff up on the internet, and uh, you.
Speaker 6: Just sounds like today. I don't know, how would you describe it sound today like now?
Speaker 1: It's not the same, it's not the same, but it's still us. It's still us. It's weird, it's like our sound has evolved musically, but it's still sound like Little Brothers, like one I had after our last album came out maylod Watch and then we just put out two singles last October October with Wish Me Well in Glory, Glory September September, September I'm Bad. And one of the biggest compliments we got was that somebody said, Yo, I can make an LB playlist from y'all stuff twenty years ago to now, and it sounds like y'all haven't missed a beat. I can't tell that it's dated. It doesn't sound it still sounds timeless, and that was something I think we always strive for. So that's if I had describe it, I would just say it's timeless.
Speaker 4: Can I ask you a question about just being from the South. When you first it is random. When you first heard Ghetto Dope, right then, you think it was kind of blaspheming.
Speaker 3: It's just a little bit, just a little yo. I love the song.
Speaker 1: I was yelling too hard man, right right, dude, man man, I played man ghetto Dope that I played. We ran that whole album trying to do something that Moby Dick was doing all the hooks I could. I was the rappers.
Speaker 3: You paused worthy people, this is the album.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that's explainable with bourbons and lax uh weak man comment. We ran the album left the right man, So nah, it was we didn't really. I didn't think of it as blasphemous. I just thought it was I looked at his peep paying homage to that era, you know what I'm saying, paying homage to Ride and all of them. So I love that album.
Speaker 2: But you guys also came out in the era where the DJ and the producer was part of the group, right, yeah, yeah, sure, whether it was of course running m c J J, Fresh Prince and Jazzy Jeff step Ninth Wonder was part of Little Brother in the beginning. Yeah, he's not here now, So what's the relationship with ninth wonders? They're no more relationship.
Speaker 1: There's no more relationship. But there's no no. I mean we talked about it in the dot, but no, we're just separate entities, you know what I'm saying. That we came in the game together, but we're little brother, he's ninth one, and we're just separate entity that we coexist peacefully, you know what I mean. And that's just what it is.
Speaker 4: But I didn't participate in the doctor because I mean, this is the little brother's story.
Speaker 1: That's a question for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know, but like I would like to have heard his perspective of it now as what did y'all reach out to it?
Speaker 1: We absolutely, yeah, we reached out, you know what I'm saying. Made it clear that you know, it wasn't this wasn't gonna be a hit piece. We wasn't coming for nobody next. You know, we're just telling our story in just a beautiful, honest way, and he just shows me how to participate, and that's his right too.
Speaker 4: I feel like y'all set them up nights, especially when you first told the early story about I forgot what album it was. But it was an album I think it was awful rock, yeah, right, produced by DJ Premier, and he was like, yo, that's what I want to be in one of y'all encourage him, like, yo, you can.
Speaker 1: Be that absolutely absolutely. Yeah. Man, we were always I mean, we're coming up. I mean, you gotta keep in mind, like, dude, we like nineteen twenty years old. You know what I'm saying. I mean we you know, we're just trying to figure out let alone, trying to figure out how to be artists, I figure out how to be men. Yeah, you know what I mean. Like, so, you know, trying to figure out all that stuff at the same time. I mean, man, it's you know, it's it's tough. So but yeah, but we tried to tell the story just as honestly as you as we could. And but you know, we can't speak for another person. We can only tell our experience, and so he chose not to And that's is right.
Speaker 6: What made y'all want to do the documentary right now? Is it anything other than the fact that y'all.
Speaker 1: Years in the game, I mean twenty years but uh now, I mean we talked about it. We just wanted to tell our story, our way. You know. We didn't want it to be uh, you know, unsung or told by somebody else, you know what I mean, or you know, so they can pick their angle, their slant or whatever. And we wanted to be our story, our voices, our way, and so we said, let's do it, and we just started the journey. We didn't know what we was doing, but we started the journey twenty eighteen, and it just took us time to kind of figure out the story we wanted to tell and how we wanted to tell it. And I think the pandemic actually helped us trum endlessly because that version of the movie now is that's the third version trying to try to knock it down, and it's just very It's something that you know, with documentaries, I mean, they're tough, and I think a lot of filmmakers they would try to do docs because they think that it's easier because you're telling a factual story, you know what I mean. But it's like, even if you're telling a factual story, it still has to be compelling and you still have to arrange those facts in a compelling way, because if you're just telling facts, that's not a movie that's a fucking book report, Like nobody wants to see that, you know what I mean, You have to give a story. And so our partners on it, Holland Gallagher who's our director, and jo Phillips who's our writer, they really were our partners in it, and they're younger than us, and so we thought it was important to have people who were from a different generation to kind of catch a lot of the blind spots that we make not have solved, and we thought that was important, and so they came in and they really helped kind of shape the narrative because they were looking at this they weren't super fans of us, and that was something that we did not want. We didn't want someone that was the ultimate Little Brother fan making this movie because they feel like they already know the story and if they, you know, you you dead in the water then and that's just not the way documentary works. So they really came in and were able to just you know, tell, We told our stories, We did our interviews, the interviews, we shot our personal interviews everyone else. We gave the questions beforehand, like cause you know, it's you know, my grandmother rest in peace. Our mother's homies. You know what I'm saying. It's not like you're working with actors. You working with people, you know what I mean. So you got to give them time to kind of think what you want to say. So we gave them all the questions beforehand, and then when it came time for me in Pooh interview, we told Holland and Yo, like, yo, bro, we don't want nothing, just get in get in here. Whatever you ask one take one shot. That's what it is. And so that's that's that's what y'all got.
Speaker 2: You see evolution in it. I mean you see dark skinning Leonard in there, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Living with the hair like that sounds like he was like look.
Speaker 5: I was like, oh my god, you look like one of the kids.
Speaker 1: Lean on me. What's the club? What year was that too? That was as show? That was a five five? It was five, I remember it was a five. That was the on We talked about it briefly on q LS, but yeah, that was the only interview that I missed because when we had to do that that run, I think your son, Yeah, that was when my son, the son was born. So it was just me and Knife on that run every time I see that, I think about it, because I wouldn't as polished as I am now doing interviews. I was like, b T, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know I'm gonna work there, irying to dance around.
Speaker 1: I ain't worked there. What it was like? Nah no, No, that was that was funny. That was that was blast from the past. It was five. It was on five.
Speaker 2: So when ninth one that got the call from Hole to work with him and Hope started doing production, do you think that production area kind of dismantled the group a lot?
Speaker 1: Absolutely not. Nah No, Man, like we we we was happy. We was excited for him, you know, I mean, like ship we got to go to baseline and hear it before it came out there with Hole and all that. But nah, we was we knew it. That's a big opportunity. It is fucking jay z, you know what I mean, Like, come on, man, you want stuff for your team like you want you know, if you know, studying hip hop, most of the big producers they get their starting groups. So we just saw it's just a natural progression, you know what I mean. So yeah, it was amazing just to know that, you know, one of your homies can make a beat. On his laptop and it ends up with jay Z rapping over. I mean that ship was like, oh my, like what you know what I'm saying, And it really it really for us was for me, it was a sign of the kind of the changing of the guard in terms of what constituted studio quality, you know, because for a long time, you know, you had to have When people thought of a studio, they thought of it as like, okay, it's this big, the big boards and like these big you know, big consoles and big speakers and everything, and beat makers were pretty much thought of as you know, like hardware. But for him to make something, you know, on a laptop, I mean that was the beginning of software. You know. He really pioneered that, you know what I mean. So now with him with fruity loops and now, I mean that's pretty much kind of the standard with cats making records on machine and ableton and stuff like that, and so it really was it was validation for us. I mean, we made our first album literally in you know, a friend's apartment, you know what I'm saying with the mic, like the mic we recorded listening, it wasn't as good as this mike. It wasn't even this. It was like a little like a little three hundred dollars carnival. Yeah, yeah, we had like a little little joint on it, but described yeah, that was what it was. And you know what I mean. And so but we did it. And I guess the lesson for me was just that, you know, as long as you have a taste, there is there aren't really no rules in music. You just have to have a degree of taste that can translate to an audience and if you can make it make sense to them and they get it, and that's really all you need. And we were able to do that with very limited means. And so I'm just I'm just thankful. Why why why?
Speaker 3: YouTube?
Speaker 4: That was the other thing I was wondering, Like, you know, did y'all even try to shop into like who Netflix?
Speaker 1: Anybodyuh? The writers of Stranger Things were on strike, nah, I mean in love Craft Countries on TV absolutely today. Yeah you know what I mean. I did Apollott Marathon the other night, like straight out of comptent on TV. Yeah. I think for us because people always ask that question, right, and first to start off as a joke like this shit up on YouTube, but then we start thinking about it like, that's exactly that's what it's going.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: I know seven year olds who stay on YouTube. I know sixty nine year olds who stay on YouTube. So for us, it was just like, all this shit is on the internet. It's all the same the internet to the same Internet. So the objective here was I was talking to a homier mine. I was just like, you know, He's like, yo, I got this project. I don't know what I should do. I said, listen, what's your objective? Are you trying to be validated by one of these companies? Are you looking for the bag? Or do you want people to see this shit? We wanted people to see our documentary. So the easiest way is you can anybody can go up on YouTube. You can watch You don't gotta watch it in one seton and explain how my mama had a log into YouTube. Everybody knows how to go on YouTube.
Speaker 5: You can watch it on the phone, our path.
Speaker 1: Any anywhere. And then also what we saw because we came into the industry of three when we signed the Atlantic, we saw how the music industry was changing real time. We was part of it. We're seeing the same thing happen right now for film and television. Ain't nobody trying to get caught up in that bullshit? Nah? Now, so I'm not trying to be banging trying to get the masters for my movie back in ten years, like getting the fuck out of here, you know what i mean. So, yeah, it was really you know, YouTube was it was the only platform that spoke directly to the Little Brother's story, you know what I'm saying. You know, we were one of the first rap groups to go viral at a time when no one even knew what that was or even how to monetize it, you know what I'm saying, because it was just so early, you know what I mean. And so a big part of that had to do with people being able to freely access our music, and it was something that was shared. And we just thought that our movie, you know, about our music and about our lives, it had to be experienced in that same way. You know. We put it out and you know, we dropped it on Black Friday on YouTube, and you know, we did the premiere on YouTube and my man shot, my man, Devin Morrison, he hit me was like, yo, bro, I'm about to stream this join on my Twitch channel. Pull up, I said, helly, your nigga, let's go, you know what I mean. So I jumped on this Twitch you know what I mean, he's screening it. I'm in the chat like knowledge is in the chat shot to him like we all just chopping it up. And you know, that was just a kind of communal experience that we would not have been able to have had we tried to do it in a traditional way, you know what I mean Like that, you know that just really it just felt true to who we were and who we are, and so that was that was why we decided to go with YouTube.
Speaker 3: Even getting introduced to y'all via the internet.
Speaker 4: You know, South Carolina was right there by North Carolina, but I heard about y'all be online. People don't not understand how big All hip Hop dot Com was. Listen listens, yes, man, not realize how big that ship was?
Speaker 1: Nah man, All hip Hop s o hh okay players. I mean that really was just kind of your really just you know, where you found out about music, you know what I'm saying, Just where all the stuff you can kind of see on the come up, that was where you found it. And you know, back to the film, Yeah, we just kind of saw like, now we have the opportunity to go direct to consumer in a way that we didn't have in two thousand and three. Like if I mean shit, if man we would have had band Camp in two thousand and three, I wouldn't sign no fucking regularly in a rap What would have made Little Brother bigger? Though? Right?
Speaker 2: Because you talked to rappers, and for most rappers, some of them will say you're one of their favorite groups, right, But a lot of the fans, a lot of the people that listen might not have heard Little Brother, Right, What do you think would have made Little Brother bigger? If it would have been maybe signing to a Ruckus that concentrates directly on underground music, it would have been, you know, a Cotch Records that's definitely under Like, what do you think would have made it made you guys bigger?
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's that's a tricky question because, like I said, the industry was changing at the time. So, you know, for us, I always say we was we was after the rockous era, but we was before you know whatever. We were the bridge the bridge from from that to you know, like the Colds and the Kindreds and all of them. So I don't know if it was in the cars for us to be bigger. Honestly, I think we are. Yeah, we was the lead blockers, you know what I mean, Like you know, we was, you know, we was to take out the linebacker like it wasn't necessarily you're not gonna get the glory. You're not gonna get the touchdown. You're not gonna you gotta do your job, do your job well, and you'll be remembered, rewarded, honored for that, you know what I mean, respected for that. And so yeah, I don't I don't know if bigger was in the cars for us, honestly because I know who we are, you know what I mean, and you know and I know who we are is I don't know if that's conducive. No, it wasn't like I remember having I remember Minister Show came out and we did. Uh, I think what was the first week. It was like eighteen eighteen and something like that, you know what I mean, eighteen thousand records and you know back then that was just your worst Yeah, straight up, but you said eighteen thousand now, like thank you man. But I remember like we did it and it came out and I remember talking to a mirror shout shouts to the mirror, man, that's that's big bro for real. And you know, he was saying, he was like, listen, man, y'all gonna have to go crazy, like y'all gonna have to perform at the label. Y'all gonna have to do this, like y'all gonna have to you know, even in the lobby, like y'all gonna have to do this, do this. And the thing was he was right, he was absolutely right. And I just talked to I remember, had a conversation. We were just like, we ain't doing that ship. I'm like, I just made an album called The Mistress. You think I'm about to be in a label dance.
Speaker 3: I'm not.
Speaker 1: You know, that's just not who we all up at your label in the video. Nah. So you know, it was just one of those things. And it's really just as an artist, you know, throughout our journey, you really just have to decide what's for you and what's not and the things that are for you. You know, I tell her all the time, you can't ever look at someone's success and and you know think that, Okay, that's what I want because you don't know the price that they paid for that success, you know what I mean, You don't you know, that may not be something that you're willing to do, or it just may not be it may not align with who you are as a person. And so I think the biggest lesson for us, which is the beauty of this era now, which I think a lot of artists don't get. You know, they're frustrated because it's like, man, it's just so much content, is so much to compete with everything. But the beautiful thing about it for us is that you have the ability to go direct the consumer and whatever it is that you're into, you can just find an audience around that. It's like the difference between you know, in our era, it was trying to hit a moving target. It was trying to hit a moving bullseye, and this era is just you fire a shot and wherever it lands, you just paint the target around that bullet. You know what I'm saying. You just you know, and that's what we've been able to do. And it just makes for in us, you know, it makes for better art and just mix for happier people.
Speaker 4: Also stopped when the game shifted to every then y'all already was on like like, y'all, it was like nine years between projects, right. Twenty ten is when you really got introduced to the Kendricks and the Coles and the Drakes.
Speaker 1: That was y'all.
Speaker 3: That's y'all energy.
Speaker 4: Like you said, y'all, they all was inspired by you what y'all was doing.
Speaker 3: But y'all stopped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that was that was That was definitely a frustration of mine. Was just like we fought so hard to get up that proverbial heel and we got up there, it was like, all right, we're done. It was yeah, because you had that moment like you just you know there moment.
Speaker 3: Brot this night show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know this audience, My audience is laughing with me. They're not laughing at me, you know what I mean. But no, it was very much that. I remember we did a show, our last LA show. This is what before we broke official. This was twenty teeny Yeah, twenty Kendrick. Kendrick is in the doc It's a Sexual with Me, Kendrick and ap So that was from that show. We had Kendrick opening on that show. It open, and that was like we were in the worst shape ever, we were like we weren't even talking. We wasn't even it was the energy was just it was just foul. And I remember like Kendrick coming up afterwards and he was like, Yo, man, I fuck with y'all. I'm a big fan, Like let's link whatever. I'm like, yeah, bro, like cool, you know, DApp him up, game home. I'm like, love what you do. And like that was it. But I really know, we look back on it now and it was really you know, I just hate that. I wish they could have seen us in a better place because by that time twenty ten, we was just over like this shit. We ain't like each other. We was side of the game and everything. It was like, gotch What got you to.
Speaker 2: The point where the group boys cool anymore?
Speaker 1: Weren't communicating? Yeah, we had different goals. We didn't know how to communicate. I'll say that, like, you know, we didn't have the tools or at the time. I mean, look yeah, because I mean you got to think about it, and I and I think about this for all the time, Like with artists like now, like the younger generation, they keep thinking of, Okay, I want to go viral, like going viral and like dude, A lot of times that shit is not what you think it is. It's like, you know what I'm saying. It really it can be the kiss of death sometimes, you know what I mean. And so for us, you know, back then, this is two thousand and two, you know whatever. You know, we went viral and so your music goes further and faster than you have the time to develop as a person, you know what I mean. And so it's like, bruh, this again. Me and Pool knew each other a grand total of probably what two years before we got signed, So we didn't know each other, you know what I mean. And again, it's one thing to be like, this is my man, like we in the calf, we kicking it, we in the room, freestyling. But to go from this is my man to now this is my business partner and we are contractually bound together. That sucks, dude, you know what I meant. I mean, looking back, you didn't realize it then when you in it, But looking back, you're like, yo, that was a fucking lot. Like that was a lot. We was trying to navigate together. We didn't know each other really honestly, and we didn't know the game. We didn't know shit.
Speaker 5: And personal lives y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had two kids. Yeah my boys were young at the time, but yeah, it was we was a lot were trying to figure out. So we just didn't have the time the tools to really know how to communicate with each other to understand what was going on. Like shit, we didn't know each other. So like even now, my big thing is I need to understand why right your answer is your answer. But if I understand you, I know why you answered that way, So now I know ship he going to say and why he gonna say it before I even asked the question. But I didn't know that then, so he didn't know that about me. So to be things where in the doc we talk about to learn each other, Yeah, it's like doing the labels. So when we got off Atlantic, we had Capitol Records, one of the signers, I was talking with Shaka Zulu's assistance. We were supposed to met with Shaka, so we had all these things moving after we got off Atlantic. But he don't understand why I'm like, shit, let's give it another go. And I don't understand why he like, fuck that shit, I'm off that Like I do my own thing. So just not having that understanding and not knowing how to talk to each other. Man, that was I tell people all the time. And it's not just in a relationship with a partner's spouse, significant other, it's all your relationships. If you don't know how to communicate and talk and actually listen, because communication listening, if you don't know how to do that, that shit gonna it's not gonna end up well. And that's kind of where we was.
Speaker 3: We can't be afraid to talk though, like you got to.
Speaker 4: You gotta know, you can fix your phone up to all your people say what you need to say, and even if they feel a way, that's still gonna be a people.
Speaker 1: And I think this generation now, you know, like I mean, it's my boys, my sons are. They're twenty three and I was at twenty three and eighteen. And the thing I noticed to their generation, they are they're far more emotionally uh intelligent than we are, in tune than we are, you know what I mean, Like they got they got all the TikTok terms and the therapy term like these niggas know all that shit, you know what I mean. So yeah, they're they're far more emotionally. Uh, you know, avaible to gotta remember we came up off the a man gotta be a man and you don't show your feelings and you don't cry. Do that work? That is not that don't work? That don't work. And know what you was saying, Sean, like about the just that time, like you said, we left kind of before that wave. You know that nine year span that span from twenty ten to twenty nineteen. You know when we came back. You know, that just gave us time to grow up. You know what I'm saying. And you know it's it was a bill that was gonna it was comeing, do you know what I mean? So it's like we paid it then. You know we needed those nine years because we had such a quick kind of ascension. But yeah, we just needed that time to just grow up.
Speaker 4: I saw Donald Glover say recently that all new, most most new rappers now, and I think he's kind of meant like that generation that started in twenty ten. Yeah, we're because of Kanye. I would say, Kanye and little brother.
Speaker 1: Absolutely what I would absolutely yeah, man, Kanye was Uh, we had got Kanye. He first came to Durham two thousand and four. Three four, yeah, three or four. It was before uh I think College Dropout came out. It was because get oh yeah, yea, yeah, that might have been two three something. It might have been three then yeah, three he it was before College Dropout. The Yeah, and he had at the time the records that was bubbling. He had the stand up by Ludicros that was out, and he was about to put out the dis Way record he had did with Dilated People's but he was in Durham doing some kind of like conference or whatever, and so he was there and you know, this is before anything. Like he's just you know, chilling, and he just would walk around just like wrapping out of nowhere. Okay, my knig you find Kanye and Fonte is like like he would just be rather like bro. But and I thought he was you know, acting, you know what I mean. But now you know, twenty plus years later, it's claim like, yeah, that wasn't an act. He's the same. It's just on a higher platform exactly. But he's the same he's always been. But yeah, but back then, we you know, we did shows, you know, we toured with him. Uh you know, we opened up and everything and Yeah, man, it was a it was a fun time, you know what I mean. You know you could kind of see just him putting the pieces together, and you could see him also really kind of struggling with fame to some degree. Like I remember we were at man, this was like south Beat. It was on the billboard hip hip hop boys. Yeah, we were in like southeast. He was in Miami for like a weekend whatever, and he had his Rockefeller chain and he was we was going to a club. We were going to club, and he would take his chain out and you know, have his chain out in the club, but then the minute we left, he would tuck it back in. And that was just something that I always saw, you know, when you speak, you know, you ask about you know, why weren't we bigger? I think one of the things, Well, first of all, it was a choice. It definitely was a choice. And that was something that we really want to make clear in the documentary that the Little Brother story is not a sad story at all, you know what I'm saying. You know, it was really you know, choices that we made, and I think for me, I kind of had my you know, ghost of Christmas past present screwage kind of thing. And that I saw a lot of these guys when they were kind of on the come up and was able to kind of see what fame if they did to him. Yeah, it did to him or and I just you know, like they were just you know, prisoners or some of me. But to see the effect that had on their lives and how they had to really live. It wasn't just yeah, everyone wants the money, everyone wants that, but that ain't all it come with.
Speaker 3: You know, being scared of fame is just not wanting to get robbed.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it was probably a little bit.
Speaker 5: Like he wasn't an image that you have to have in certain places.
Speaker 1: Leave that it's over. And because I mean because when we was when he was like kicking it with us, I mean we just we just kicked it. We're just kicking it. But when the camera's on, he knew how to become Kanye. I gotta I gotta be me a different way, much a different way. Yeah, amplified version of who I am without the lights in the camera. The little brother wasn't willing to perform nah nah man, because that's not that's not you know, this is a long game. First of all. That's just exhausting, fam and unsustainable, very unsustainable. You burn out quick.
Speaker 3: But y'all have always shown y'all humor, especially in video.
Speaker 1: But that's who we are naturally. Like who I am in this interview is who I am when his interview is over, is who I am when I get on this plane to go home. It is who I am when I get home, Like I am who I am. And it's not, well, I talk to people when the lights come on. I don't really talk to people when the lights go off. But that's the difference. So I don't like people.
Speaker 3: That's why would you be in the room, dark room with strangers.
Speaker 1: That that that not the conversation having not the conversations. It's not the conversation. We're here for, no, man, I mean, we just you know, I just saw, like when I looked at a lot of the people that you know, I looked up to in the game and looked at the people that were able to have that longevity, that was something that was always important to me, you know what I'm saying, Really being able to stand the test of time and be in the game. And you know, this is a game where with music and just entertainment just art in general. I really do believe that it's a game that the longer you play, the luckier you get. You know what I'm saying, the longer you stay in it. But you're only going to stay in it for a long time if you're doing things that you enjoy, you know what I mean? You otherwise and like I don't care like people they say, you know, looking from the outstanding, like, oh man, if I had that opportunity, I would do anything. I would do whatever I would And it's like.
Speaker 3: Nah, says.
Speaker 1: Yo, listen man, seriously, and you have to you have to make those choice because it's this game like me and Pool, like we was talking, you know in you know, in the in the break room. You know, man, this game it don't know what to do with niggas that ain't thirsty, Like they don't know what to do with that. Like when you are not you know, the whole thing, just oh yo, you do whatever. You know what I'm saying, that's hungry. That's hungry. You gotta be hungry. That's not I'll do whatever. That's not hunger. That's thirst You should never be thirsty.
Speaker 4: And what you're saying is so true, because when you talk about these recording contracts or just contracts people be signing. In general, you can't get somebody to sign some bullshit if they're not extra thirsty, Like if they our leverage and you know they don't need it, they'll negotiate what they want.
Speaker 1: People will negotiate with you, But that's if they have leverage.
Speaker 2: But most of these contracts, especially back in the day, you find somebody that got a little spark that wants to be the next artist. They feel like that'll be an opportunity for them, and they'll feel like, you know what, I'll get to that opportunity and then I'll make it right.
Speaker 1: But then they don't.
Speaker 2: Realize they signed for ten years.
Speaker 1: Take advantage, take advantage of that naive man. There's a story here. I feel like I feel like there's a story.
Speaker 5: Here's who I am.
Speaker 6: But they don't have nothing to do with what I'm So I'm about to ask right now, what how important? With all that being said, how important is like awards? So you like, because you guys are very very very stern on who y'all are, know that and like you said earlier, you don't know who you are?
Speaker 5: Is conducive to some.
Speaker 6: Ship like this or you know, especially nowadays and the thirst and universus hunger.
Speaker 5: So how important are shows and like getting.
Speaker 1: Awards to man, I was I'll go first. I was nominated my other group, the Foreign Exchange R and B group, we were nominated for a Grammy in twenty ten, and I had the opportunity to go to the Grammys and really see what that experience was. And I think having that experience just showed me like, yeah, this is kind of a racket. Basically, I'm just keeping in a band. Like that shit was. I mean, it was, you know, it was great to be honored. But again this is just the behind the scenes stuff that people don't get, you know what I mean. You know, when you go to these shows first and foremost, you know, at least at that time, you know, you still gotta buy tickets, you still gotta pay for like this shit don't come with a check at all. You can get out there and you can try to make something shake on your own if you want to do like I know, the Routs they do their Grammy Jam session every year whatever, So if you want to kind of do that, you can. But generally speaking, just as a nominee, like everything is on you. So this is you know, you gotta.
Speaker 2: Pay to go to the Grammys if you're nominated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like tickets once you get buy a ticket there, you get tickets for you. So at the time and when they get some discount tickets, right, So it's like so if it's me and you were me and him just Grammy nominated, it's like, Okay, y'all get free tickets to the show, but anyone you want to bring to pay, y'all gotta pay, and we'll let you get it for half off. But you still got to pay half off still, like one hundred dollars. Oh no, no, no, that not at the time. But I did it well, I know when when I don't know what it is. When dream Bill was nominated and Luke when he got a ticket. I think dog got a ticket, And I think any extra tickets would have been like one hundred dollars or something. It might have been more. I don't remember.
Speaker 6: I know it was tickets even for the b tables at some point, like you had to pay. Imber wanted to go one year and I had to pay, like it was like three forty or something like that.
Speaker 1: I didn't pay. Yeah, so we might've been getting a super dupe you know at the time when I went at the time when we went the tickets for the Grammys, and again this is twenty ten, so you know, I don't know what is now, but yeah, it's twenty ten. Like tickets for the Grammys, this was twelve hundred dollars a piece. And so in order for us to go, you know what I mean, we met me and Nick Nicko l in my partner shops to him. We went into Our tickets were free. But then everyone else, like we brought you know, family, everybody, that was six hundred dollars a pop, you know what I'm saying. So that's twelve hundred one tickets. Then you got you know, hotels, flights, like you know, we got bout clothes everything we had to pay like a pr person, you know what I'm saying. To like to talk about to walk through the red carpet, to talk up your nomination and everything, and you know, and I've never like we never talked about it. You know, it was something that we didn't just have time to get into the dock. But like, man, after I came back from the Grammys, like Nigga had to take out a loan. Yeah, I had to take out like a person. Alan, I'm like, god, damn, I just spent by damn eight thousand dollars at this bitch, you know what I'm saying. And so so for me so to rig a question with the Awards, I think that and just in my experience it was I was glad I got to see it, but ultimately I'm just like, nah, I don't Yeah, I'm good, I don't care and its yeah, And I mean, listen, it's all, you know, to be nominated for a Grammy, like to be you know, amongst you know, to sit amongst you know, be in that room and see it. Like I'm watching the show and it's like Kenny g Is like standing right there like same hair, like say everything. And that's another thing too with the Grammys, dude specifically, like y'all watch it on TV at home and it's that ship like three hours, you know what I'm saying, It's longer, it's longer and with no and you it ain't no. At the time when we went, the Staples Center was like closing down, so like they have like the pre Grammy brunch before and you know, you get a little food whatever, and then they take you over to the main hall to the Grammy ceremony, and all the vendors in the Staples Center they shutting down. So it's no food like it's niggas, Like it's niggas the for real. For hours. It was like one dude we caught that had like the little uh he had like some candy and ship. He had like you know, little snicker bars and damn Eminem's and ship. So we bought like a couple, like a bag of eminems and some snickers and ship were sitting in that bitch got damn taking the eminem's, passing the ship down. And I'm like, niggas is supposed to be music great this night and don't even got them eminem's in the Staples Center, not when we went. I'm just telling I've never been to the Grammars, but I've been to a BT Hip Hop Awards and it was about damn recording. That was about five hours and I was like.
Speaker 3: No food.
Speaker 1: We went.
Speaker 3: I walked out.
Speaker 4: I left taking too long, man, Oh my god, he really left like we supposed present.
Speaker 2: He was like, I'm giving y'all ten minutes there all day like, nah, that's.
Speaker 4: Really I I'm like, you know, love, I'm like, yeah, I'm not beating for none of that stuff, no, man.
Speaker 1: And I mean like for me, you know, yeah, it'd be cool to be nominated for a Grammy. I ain't never been nominated. But at the end of the day, it's hey, look, I'm I can't be somewhere too long and not just say what the fuck I need to say. So listen, I just don't go to places where I'm going to be there a long time because.
Speaker 3: You might have to say something.
Speaker 1: It might have to say something and let me tell you the truth. Yeah, and then learning kind of learning what all this is, you know what I mean, Like it's a campaign. It's a campaign. It's not a meritocracy. Like the minute you and that was I guess the thing for me. But once I saw that, you know, it was really you know, it's super political, it's super you know who you know, like it's a lot of those things. But you know, for for for me, all I cared about was just making the music. And you know, if my music is standing up against somebody, you know, just judging on the basis of the music. Once you're getting all this other shit. It's just like again it was educational. It's like, okay, I know that's what it is. Now, all right, cool, I'm good on it, you know what I mean. And that's the thing I want to make clear. It's not that we don't care. We just understand what it is and what it's going to take if you want to make that run. It's like running for president, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I don't understand why don't Like, I know y'all got to go, but why why couldn't y'all just consistently be y'all? Like I said, you can watch the doc and see the finality, see the humor.
Speaker 3: I was watching the old video that I don't even know why I just went.
Speaker 4: I was watching old videos this weekend and the video where you let your mom speak the verse.
Speaker 3: I like, y'all do stuff like y'all do your own thing. That's personality driven.
Speaker 1: Why not? We're not thirsty, That's the key. We're not because it's been things people like yo, you want to do this and be like nah, you know like you as how pr got be like yo, I got I got I got this. We can do this. We can do this and we would go right through the list. No no, yeah, no, no no, and like anybody else will be like, oh, ship, I'm doing all that we like, Like it's far more intentional, you know, curate it, Yeah, to curate the kind of experience that you want to give your fans. So like come in to breakfast club, like you know, we both Carolina, Like there's a connection there, you know what I mean. So it's like you don't just do everything. It's not just you know, coming in with a oozy and just like nah, very targeted shots because at this point in the game, you know, we're twenty year vets, and you know, the energy that you have, you know, you really have to conserve and you only got to use it on the ship. That really fucking matters, you know what I mean. You can't just be out here, in my opinion, you can't just be out here just moving crazy and just you know, expending all your energy and your time on not half an unlimited amount of bullets in the chamber at forty forty five years old.
Speaker 4: I don't believe that's no, no, no, you mean time like physically, how we feel about doing things, because yeah, okay, because I feel.
Speaker 1: Like you can do whatever you can. You can do it. I mean you see, like someone like nas is on a run right now performance a sweet Absolutely you can. You can do whatever you want to do. What we what I'm saying is you gotta be very you gotta be strategic about what you're doing, because the energy like just putting energy into things that don't make no sense. You know, when you're twenty, you got all the fucking energy in the world. Forty you like, hold up now, and you have to be specific and strategic like you were saying, because I'm a firm believer that the work you do is the work that you're gonna create more for yourself. So if you start doing sucker ship, you just gonna get more sucker opportunities, you know. I mean, so I'm like, nah, like we're just gone to set this ship up off break like this. What we're doing is what we're not doing and just hold that boundary and uh again it just speaks to just I think just the sustainability of it. You know, we really wanted to do this for a long time and uh you know, we knew we wasn't gonna do that just doing moving like how we saw a lot of other rappers were moving and just a lot of just entertainment was moving. We had to kind of come and do something that was very specific to who we were, and we kind of had a chance to go through that again with Luke. You know, absolutely, you know, but yeah, it's working with Luke signed to Dreatville and just doing his album, and he was very adamant, like I'm gonna do me like like I'm not. I'm not you know, yes, I want things, but I'm gonna do what's comfortable for me, like who It was a key point conversation we had and he was like, yo, I want to be able to be me everywhere. And I said, well, if that's what you want to do, this is this is kind of the road map for it. And and that's just who he is, Like he's not a big mixy person. He's not you know, he deals with anxiety. He talks about it, and so we have to be very strategic and how we move with him, and it's just traces of how we move and who we are. I see that and him and so I was kind of perfect for that because I'm like, I know what this is, don Bro. And it was just one of the things where it was like, yo, this is this is day ja vu like a muff because you can't because the thing is like and that's again with the artists. Now, I just kind of treat kind of keep telling them like, bro y'a don't understand. I know this shit is crazy, but whatever it is you're into, you can find an audience for that, Like you know, in particular cars and he's the cars painting. It's like, dude, if you if you don't want to do breakfast club, like if you if that's not your thing and you just want to get your Bob bross on and do little Instagram snippers and you paint, you can do that and that shitll go off. You'll find a community people that are into it. There's a market for it, and you can go directly to them. And that was just something that wasn't really you know, back you know to your original question earlier about you know, why we weren't bigger. I just think at that time there were choices, definite choices that we made. But also it was very much marketing back then wasn't really tailored to the artist. It was just kind of a one size fits all. This is album coming, This is what needs to happen.
Speaker 3: Hold his bottle knowledge you going to this radio.
Speaker 1: Station and it's like bru, Like we don't even drink like that, Like this doesn't make sense. You know what I'm saying, don't you know, no moral objection to it, but I'm like, this doesn't translate. And you just didn't really have the latitude to figure that out back then in a way the artists do now, and so it really is a beautiful time. And that's why we wanted to take advantage now of just being able to go direct to consumer, go directly to our audience with the documentary, and it's just been it's been a beautiful experience.
Speaker 5: How many young boys are like just like this, like we don't want to change.
Speaker 6: We don't want to I don't want it to do all of this that X Y Z is doing to get where X Y and Z is at.
Speaker 5: And you know if I never get there, I never get.
Speaker 6: There, Like this interview and your documentary is definitely gonna like that. That's good for people because other guys like you out there, young boys who like underground Wrap and they have about things that they feel like won't be accepted or conducive to what today's hip hop is or today's rap or whatever, and it's his inspirational to a lot of boys in a lot of.
Speaker 1: Roman Thank you. That was that was part of the hope, was that people can hear our story and see some of themselves in our story, and that's that's something we have that we didn't have that rop. Yeah, yeah, it was like, hey man, it's the way you gotta do it. Do it.
Speaker 4: I got too more questions because I know jefs hungry and she want to go. But one hundred three thousand said he doesn't rap anymore because he's forty eight and he has nothing to talk about it being ol g's and y'all forties.
Speaker 3: How did that statement make you feel?
Speaker 1: We talked about it on something else. Man. It's like, we look at ourselves as writers and you don't have an a's limit. You know, we're not athletes. We're not you know, out there trying to dunk, and we're right, you should be getting better with time or even to your point about killing Mike and just you know what I mean, your head, you know when you get old. There was a there's an arc I read like years ago that talked about how most creative breakthroughs were artists. Most creative breakthroughs happened in like your late thirties early forties, because that's when both sides of your brain learned to talk to each other, you know what I mean. And so that just I was like, damn, that's right. And so, you know, it really is a thing where in this business again, it just goes against everything because if you ain't owned by twenty five, you know, you you done lost it. And you know a lot of you know, labels and just you know, a lot of industry people they're reluctant to work with older talent, what they perceive as older talent, when that's the time when you know you're at your best, you know what I'm saying, because you've lived a life. I remember we interviewed Chris Rock on QLs sometime back, and he was talking about how Supreme Quest of Supreme. Here I'm just talking another iHeart property but yeah shouts the Quest Love and my people's team Supreme. But yeah, we was he was interview Chris Rock and he was talking about how, you know, in the early days of his stand up, he didn't really have shit to talk about He was like, you know, your early age stand up, it's just it's just dick jokes shit, because it's like, what do you have? But it's not until you go and you live and you get divorced, you have kids, you damn like, you know, you really have things to talk about. And so that was kind of for us, you know, with the Andre statement, we talked about it, but yeah, I mean, it's kind of all in the eye to be holder. If he feels that he doesn't have anything to say at forty eight, that's his creative journey. That's how he feels, you know what I mean it and it takes time to figure out. You know. With Johnwick rap, we've heard so long that rap is a young man's game and who you are you know when you're young, so much of that is driven by hunger and like anger and just trying to make it. You know, nigga, what what do you rap about that? After you done sold ten million records and he ain't struggling no more, And it's.
Speaker 3: All about what you are willing to share, right like that?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I don't we don't have to get on this radio and talk about our family. We don't have to talk about our kids. We do, but we don't have to. I don't got to talk about mental health and going to therapy. But it's about what you are willing to share.
Speaker 1: Share.
Speaker 3: And my last question is what does twenty years feel like? Ya?
Speaker 1: Like a good night's sleep? Absolutely, like legit, A lot of this feels like a year ago, two years ago. I mean we lost two years, but with the pandemic we lost a little bit of the time. But nah, it don't feel it don't feel like twenty years at all. Like it's it's one of them things where you look back and be like, shit, like I'm about to be forty four, man, I was just twenty one, Brian like walking around like what's going on here? And so it's and that's a blessing, you know what I mean. Like it ain't been a hard twenty for us. I mean, we've been through our share of things, but you know we ain't have you know, no overdoses, no nah man, you know, nobody locked up. You know what I'm saying, We ain't had none of them type of issue. So it's just one of them things, you know, you blessed that it feels like it only been a short amount of time because that means we got twenty more plus to go. It's just gratitude. I think that's what it feels like for me. It's just gratitude just looking at you know a lot of cats that we came in the game with that you know, didn't make it for whatever, for various reasons, you know what I'm saying. And you know, and guys that were and that were like crazy talented, you know what I'm saying, It's just like, oh my god, why didn't this person get this? And you know, it really is just a lesson. You know, Man, the race ain't always to the swift, you know what I mean, it really is. You know, when you see somebody that's on or popping or whatever, there are a million different factors that play into that person having that platform, the least of which is probably their talent. Yeah you know what I'm saying, Talent, don't. I mean that shit is oh yeah, you know, so so for us to just you know, still be here and you know, twenty years later and just to be not just still here and still like revelepment, but just sharper mentally, Like I really, I really feel like as a writer I'm just getting started. Like there's just things and that you know as an MC and you know, just as a creator. There's just tools in my toolbox that I have now that I didn't have twenty years ago. And uh it just I just feel reinvigorated, you know what I mean? And even to that point for me, like people told me my best two albums writing has been my last two? You like wine?
Speaker 3: Will we ever get a Fonte Pool Knife one?
Speaker 1: Dude? Nah, damn. I didn't even think about it.
Speaker 2: It was like maybe there was a possibility a couple of years.
Speaker 5: Why, Like they don't know, they don't understand.
Speaker 1: You know what is we gotta.
Speaker 3: Watch the die?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's in the doc. I mean, we talked about everything.
Speaker 3: But it don't seem like it's none of y'all can't recordize.
Speaker 2: It seems like they could be like at least maybe it's it's.
Speaker 1: Not as y'all. It's not everything about reconciling anything. It's just live. It's just that's just not what it's gonna be. Yeah, you know little brothers Fante and Pool and Knife Wonder is nfe Wonder and you know, we wish him all the best and you know whatever, all his endeavors and we're gonna keep doing us and that's just what it is.
Speaker 6: You Beyonce, what's up with Michelle and Kelly and Farah and.
Speaker 1: Come on, like she said, Pharah, that ain't might got a shot? You know.
Speaker 3: They started with.
Speaker 5: Yes, they say no, you're gonna be like damn for real.
Speaker 1: Nigga said no.
Speaker 4: But it's it's not the same because definitely, child, we we got like it felt like we.
Speaker 3: Got closure with that. You know, I don't we got closure with Little Brother.
Speaker 1: The documentary is closure documentary. It's all sometimes we're not we're not afforded the closure we want. I'm a girl, get the closure you get. Check out the documentary. Learn about Little Brother.
Speaker 3: Made the Lord watch the Little Brother.
Speaker 4: That was fun that that that took me like watching videos because you know, we weren't even thinking about video.
Speaker 3: I wasn't see that.
Speaker 1: I was like, damn and were surprised we even had that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hell know, he wasn't think an't you know who he was?
Speaker 1: And I was not.
Speaker 3: He ran over there and got some cream for.
Speaker 1: I said, yeah, I was, he was. You got you got three three it's Little Brother. Thank you for having us congratulations than I love the Baltimore. I was hearing to tears and I was like yes, so congratulations, Breakfast Club. Good morning. Wake that ass up in the morning. Breakfast Club