Speaker 1: I am all in again. Oh that's just.
Speaker 2: Hi, am all in again with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast, one of them productions. iHeartRadio, I heart Media, iHeart Podcasts. We are doing our breakdown episode with none other than the one the only Maury.
Speaker 3: Ted Rooney is.
Speaker 1: Joining us, Ted, how are you? Danielle Romo is joining us for this this breakdown? How you doing, Ted? How's life going?
Speaker 4: I'm so excited to be here after you ran through all the episodes, right we.
Speaker 1: Did one time?
Speaker 4: Yes, you must be so so good at this by now.
Speaker 1: I'm not really getting that much better at.
Speaker 3: It, to be honest with you.
Speaker 2: Guess he is. He's great.
Speaker 1: I'm not really good at it in the first I but the important part is I enjoy it, and that's all that matters.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 2: The crazy thing Ted is before this Scott and I were both hadn't seen Gilmour Girls. So this is our second take at it now, so.
Speaker 4: All the episodes. Now you're one of the huge fans out there.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: We have joined the legions, okay of worshiping fans. And this is season one episode for The Deer Hunters that aired October twenty six, two thousands. Still struggling to catch up, A Chilton Rory receives the first d of her life on an English assignment, and it's soci umiliated that she plunges into obsessive studying. Directed by Alan Myerson, written by Jed side Dell ted, what's your overall impressions of this episode as you watched it recently?
Speaker 4: Well, I see the beginnings of a potential relationship with the Max Medina. Yeah, I know that you might find that threatening.
Speaker 1: I do no longer find that threatening. I find it delightful.
Speaker 4: You reached the end of the You didn't even know what happened in the end that you guys ended up together.
Speaker 1: So now you I know I won, So I got not to worry about I won.
Speaker 4: Any way.
Speaker 1: I got the girl.
Speaker 2: Max Medina was a solid threat to your Happily.
Speaker 1: Ever, I like this guy. I like everything about him.
Speaker 4: Happened to remember you going on a rant about him touching her elbow or something like that me on a Ramsey.
Speaker 1: Remember that was I ranting you.
Speaker 4: Were ripping him.
Speaker 1: He did, he touched touched her elbow in that first scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. See, we're talking about Cinnamon's weight last year or three years ago.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, honestly, ted when I saw it this time, because I watched it this morning, I did not like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm not going to go on a rant on like the elbow touch again.
Speaker 1: Okay, look, I got two beefs here, I got, I got, I got, I got a couple of beefs here. He touched the elbow, and then he leaves a message at the end, and he says, and a Laura lies, you're listening really nice singing over there?
Speaker 3: What a movie? I hope what happens again?
Speaker 1: I'm like, no, you don't not do that.
Speaker 2: That is what you call smooth.
Speaker 4: Face.
Speaker 2: He was like, okay, then, like I see what you're put it down there.
Speaker 4: I see went upon first meeting somebody a woman, Uh, Scott, would you touch her elbow to go to the next room. Hey, let's go to the next room and touch because I you know when a woman touches me because that never happens hardly ever. But who I don't really know that's a sign they're touching your body, you know, Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is sure is Yeah. I guess that's what people do when they find somebody attractive. You know, the guy will touch an elbow. And he touched an elbow. There was full contact on the elbow right there. We played it on slow motion replay. There's no disputing it. New York confirmed it, and the flag was honored.
Speaker 4: Here. You are a new man. You I don't hint, and I don't hear a hint of jealousy in your voice.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: I like Scott Collin a whole lot. I think the character was smooth and great. I thought it was a I thought their chemistry together was it was fantastic. I really enjoyed watching it this time. I watched enjoyed developing this relationship and the beginnings of it. And I thought he acquitted himself quite masterfully. Actually, I thought he was a pretty Danielle. I agree it was a smooth operator, smooth guy, but genuine you know. I mean, I think he was just not he wasn't being like, he wasn't trying to be somebody else. He was just beating himself and he genuinely kind of like, you know, the thunderbolt struck him and.
Speaker 4: He was like, oh boy, seems like a really nice guy.
Speaker 1: Oh he is, he is, he does the character and the man himself a terrific guy.
Speaker 2: This episode is very not special, but very forthcome. I'm not quite sure what the word I want to say is, but we do see Rory fail for the first time in her life, you know, like she has been put on this massive pedestal and this is the first time we see her, you know.
Speaker 4: And you're talking about the D right, yeah. Well. One of my favorite quotes of the episode is when she's whining about getting a D to loral I and getting a D is humiliating, she said, And the Lorealis line was, oh, honey, you told me once that you loved watching Saved by the Bell? What could be more humiliating? That one. I don't laugh a lot, and and Gilmore grows Mostly I just smile and wonder how they memorized all those lines and got them up to speed. But that one I laughed out loud.
Speaker 1: Well, it does set in motion some really great storylines. Max Medina's storyline floor line. It it really, you know, Paris really throws down the gauntlet on Rory.
Speaker 2: Here you're going down and vice versa.
Speaker 1: Vice versa, where it was like, you know, knockout.
Speaker 2: Respect was established, and Rory.
Speaker 1: Came back with some really crushing right hands and a nice left hook right there and even delivered a knockout blow to Tristan on the way out and screaming her own Ray Ray. You know, it's like, whoa, yeah, you go right.
Speaker 2: And also, you guys would know her more than I do. But Alexis seems like she is very you know, quiet and sweet and as an actress I could only imagine. But she had it muster up to get it in character in that scene.
Speaker 1: It's the only time I've ever seen Alexis like that in that state, you know. But she nailed it. I mean it really came from, yeah, a real place, you know. It was like and he and he had it coming to him. I mean, that's smug guy that Chad Michael Murray portrayed so well. He really had to coming to him. So the writing is so good because the writers though when a character, you know, can just light somebody up, and that was perfect. It was perfect.
Speaker 4: Do they get to become friends later Tristan and Rory.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a there's a moment there at a party and he displays some introspective and displays a little humility, you know, with her, and there's a there's a recognition there. Yeah, but I think I think he quickly reverts back to his old son, Yeah, Tristan. So yeah, So then you know, we get into this you know, this D getting this D drives this episode. This This is a lot of Rory and Laurel I and it's all about you know it, does she have what it takes to get through the curriculum at Chilton and it and it adds this really unexpected tension right away to the show. I mean, here's a girl who was doing so well and everything's so easy for her at Stars Hollow Heights. Then she gets into a situation. Yeah, and then she gets into the big leagues and everybody can hit a fastball. You know, it's like, oh, what do I do now? What were your impressions of this, Ted, did you find that I.
Speaker 4: See a young girl at the crossroads. My son is at the same age right now, and there's a crossroads. You know, are you going to rise to the occasion of your hopes or are you going to choose the other path, the safer path? And when once she comes out to Laura I about it, that's what they talk about, and Laura I, I'm gonna now, I'm gonna. I'm not sposed to cry. It's so cool how Laura I supports her completely and and says, I got your I know you can do this, but at the same time gives her that out so that she leaves the choice completely. The reason why I'm gonna cry is because that's what i want to do for my son. I want to challenge. It was absolute best and you're in one of your crossroads. You want to take the road less traveled, but it's scary and and so you want to support if the person doesn't do that, and with the hope that eventually they're gonna, you know, on their own figure their own way. But it's tough. It's tough as a parent to to let go and and and trust at the same time, you know, be there for them. So I thought, look, I just did that beautifully.
Speaker 2: And you felt the support there too, especially when they studied for the test, you know. And later on in this episode you see Lurlai like nope, I'm going to hang in there with you and falls asleep and then joins Rory at the table, who is asleep, like it's just you felt the mother daughter's support in this episode for sure.
Speaker 1: How could you not love these two? Every parent out there watching this was just like, wow, what a what a relationship, What a great relationship, what a great mom. I mean, we're all parents here and we would do anything for our kids. We would do anything.
Speaker 3: That's fine.
Speaker 4: So that first hooked the mother daughters that are out there watching just how how well they operated as friends and parent and child.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the hook was in right away, But now the hook is is all the way in. You know, it's it's like episode four. You know, people are telling their friends to watch this wonderful show now and this it's delightful and it's light and it's funny, but it also deals with real world issues of raising a child as a single.
Speaker 3: Mother, which is really late.
Speaker 1: The theme really laid out here and this is the spine of this entire thing. Just beautifully done and just they were in so many scenes. It's like scene after scene after scene with these two. And that's a huge ted you know, that's a huge workload. In an eight day shooting schedule, they're there all day, every day, and it's you know, sixteen eighteen hour days and it's exhausting, and it's amazing the energy that is coming out of the two of them and the work that they're doing just awe inspiring, all inspiring. So we go to the end. Now, okay, and here's another great storyline. Ted, talk a little bit about your impressions of what Suki is going through and how this on the folds.
Speaker 4: Oh, the the Risotto rise incident, and I honestly there was a scene at the very I want I don't want to jump to the end. I hear you guys wanting to walk through the episode and I want to go to the you know, the parties can do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can jump around.
Speaker 4: Suki. She had this great you by the gentleman that wrote for the magazine that came to review, uh, her food at the at the what do you call the place, the hotel or.
Speaker 1: The Independence end, Lucian Mills, Lucian Mills, the food critic.
Speaker 4: And it was a great review except he liked the roto risotto was fine, fine, And that word echoed and echoed in Sukie's brain and just got it drove her crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as as a perfectionist, the word fine is not cool, you know, I can I can resonate with Suki's fire coming out of her.
Speaker 4: You know, she wasn't crazy. Upset found out on me and she wasn't being crazy because there was something to the risotto that wasn't quite right, and it wasn't her fault.
Speaker 2: It wasn't her fault.
Speaker 4: It was the wine that was served. Am I right? That didn't go well with the RESULTA right the wrong?
Speaker 1: He served her a riseling or gave him a riling the second time around. I don't know something, but yeah, it was the wine.
Speaker 4: And then and then in the end, Suki brought the risotto to uh the gentleman's door, the reviewer's door, to have him, you know, to rectify the whole situation and show him, even though he loved everything she did, uh that that the risotto was good. Uh. It was a funny scene because I noted that I did not see the reviewer the whole time, and I was wondering, Yeah, like they cast the role, so we had an extra stand there and somebody say the words right.
Speaker 1: And Suki facing the camera not turning to look at Lucian. We never saw Lucian, so obviously it wasn't an actor. They hired. It was somebody somebody else that filled in, and that's how they had to shoot it, you know, because they didn't they didn't they didn't want to come around and do the coverage on on Suki. They just did like, let's just do this as one shot and do a couple of different sizes.
Speaker 4: I thought there was like a character reason for that that she wasn't looking and I'm what's going on here? Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 2: I didn't you guys that those thoughts didn't even cross my brain. I was just like the risotto. So it's cool that from you guys who are in it, that you can see what actually or you know, guess what actually happened with this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's probably what happened. And again here we see Laurel I being, you know, this great friend and this great support and tuned with everything that's going on in her life and her concerns and and wants to make it better. She's always wanting to make it better. And that's that's a very nice, warm, cozy relationship she has with Suki. And just these these early scenes in the kitchen are my favorite. They're just my favorite. I just think that the acting is so spectacular and uh, you know, it's it's all so engaging and it's really interesting to see somebody so concerned about And also, these are what I'm trying to say is these are people that are that want to give their best. They're doing their best, and when they feel like they fall in short, they take it to heart. Rory getting the d Suki getting you know, just an okay review on one, you know, a great review, but the risotta was fine. Everybody just wanting to do their best. It's it's it's fun to watch, it's it's it's heartwarming. Jackson comes in. He forgot Suki's porcinis and she didn't even get mad. He tries to cheer up and then they call the waiter in. So really, the bottom line is that Suki is very bothered by Lucian Mills calling her risotto fine, and she takes care of it. She just she has to find out where where Lucian lives because he did say this is a little creepy. She said, like, I don't care, try this with this wine boom. How do you want?
Speaker 2: I really want? Right?
Speaker 1: But how do you not love Suki? Saint James, these characters are irresistible.
Speaker 4: That's I think the keys of the show you're touching on here is that they're all human, right, uh. And they have their you know, their foible, their their issues so to speak, but they they all are good people that are good to each other. And some people talk about the show with me is there it's their comfort food, you know, visual comfort food. And it's because you're seeing humans, you know, do life well. And so it's a little you know, elevated reality. But don't we want to see that? Don't we want that for our life? We see quirky, goofy and fallible people that are good at the core, it's.
Speaker 1: Right, trying to be the best versions of themselves, you know, trying to do their day as best they can possibly do it. Right. This small town vibe is I'm accountable. I'm going to do the best I can and if I screw up, I'm going to be really sorry.
Speaker 4: Something else there with with the acting early on in a show, to have seamless acting like that, because I'm not seeing I'm used to seeing, you know, with one character or another. Some tells that they're acting right, you see it. You're like, oh, okay, there's a moment when they didn't quite get their line right or where they just didn't really understand the moment fully. But it's seamless and beautiful. So that pulls your right in because you feel like you're with real people.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmm, I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh true. It's such a lighthearted comedy and I feel I've said this a couple of times. I think that's how it operates best and keeping it light and airy and breezy and quick and funny, and then there's some intense stuff along the way, but not too much, you know, but it's like relatable real world stuff or you know, you can be you know, very concerned about your child. I mean, this is this is universal. Everybody has felt this. That's a parent, right This this terror that that their child isn't going to do well enough or you know, they're gonna and the fear is of how that's how your child's going to feel about themselves and your your job as a parent and not to go too overboard with trying to be overly protective, but still it's like toughest job in the world, and uh to regulate that and to balance that out for the for the benefit of your child. To let them figure it out, you know, to let them, but I mean, you know, throw in when you can, like Lorelei, does you know what. Let's go back to when lorele I came in in the B fifty two's shirt and came in late to the meetings, like Mom's late and then Rory's late for the test. So I thought one of the I think Laura Graham is the best thing to happen to television comedy acting since luci Oeball. I have to put her up there on the pantheon of great television actresses or just great actresses overall, because the things that she's doing and the effortless awkwardness, and that's right, the attraction she has to Max Medina as she comes in late. It's just it's just a masterclass in in in comedic acting. I mean not she's not laying it on too thick anywhere. Everythink's just the transitions are really fast, they're seamless. Everything's very smooth.
Speaker 2: Can I say one thing about about what you're saying though?
Speaker 1: It's sure? Sure?
Speaker 2: So I remember when I watched this this for this episode for the first time, I was like, oh my gosh, Lorelai and Max Medina. This is the thing, YadA, YadA, YadA. But watching this episode back twice, Lorlay still is dropping hints with Luke. You still see that like connection when they have a scene together. And now that I know what happens and I'm watching this again, I'm like, uh duh, it's there all along. Like even though she st you know, goes off the path for a second with Max Medena and then later on with her other boyfriends, it's still Luke the whole time. And that's the one thing I noticed in this episode. You still see it even though Max Medina is a distraction.
Speaker 4: I think you're projecting because like us, you just curmudgeon guy. You know, he's not going to give an inch. See you know where it's going. Yeah you're looking or maybe no.
Speaker 2: I guess I guess I am looking for it. But you still just see it. Like even in the diner scenes, she just the way she looks at Luke is not like the way she looks at other characters in the show.
Speaker 4: Well, Scott Patterson having a little crash. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I love it, man, I was just happy to be there. Yeah, all right, this this is good.
Speaker 4: You weren't series regular at first, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, just when I shot the pilot, I was just a guest star one episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, realized you're in it big time.
Speaker 1: That's uh, well, I've told you know, I'll tell the story briefly again. My my manager went to uh Gampolone and said, we just go to the network and get him a six year deal, please, you know, if you want them. The chemistry's really good, pilot's really good. These guys belong together, you know, they do, go get him a deal, and he did nice. Yeah, she really pushed him. She was she was like, you know, I think it was like a budgetary they didn't want They had a lot, they had a big cast. You know, they're gonna the show. The show becomes a hit, it becomes a problem for them because they got to have to pay all these people, you know, that kind of thing. So they have budgetary concerns and they maybe you know, and they did that with Rory's boyfriend, with Milo, and and with Chad and with Jared. They were all on. I mean, they were like series regular for a year or or two years, and then their representatives are like, well, we don't want to sign a six year deal because these are young guys with big futures and you know they're not going to be the lead of this show. We think these guys are leading man material, and you know their reps were right because they all turned out to have big careers, Matt and all those guys. Uh so, yeah, so they're just trying to keep the budgets down. You know, Let's let's see if we can get four episodes out of this guy, and then we'll off from four more and we'll pay him that. We'll pay him the per episode rate, which is, you know, a lot less than being a series regular.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, but I mean, you know, a great manager at the time, and we got a six year deal, which is change changed my life. Yeah, I mean that was a nice lunch to sit down to receive an envelope and smile on her face and said go ahead and open it. And I said, what's in here? She goes your future.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a good day. It's good lunch. Yeah. So yeah, yeah, I got lucky. Anyway, so we have established that we have these incredibly caring people in this town. We have a mother and a daughter who are attached to hip who we are rooting for. And the mom is just spectacular, and she's fun and she's loving, and she loves everybody. She's a great friend to everybody. And she wears cool clothes and she's kind of hip and and she's sexy, and she's smart and she's a little a little wild, right, I mean, she's she's she's a fun person. She's a fun mom. And she marches into chill dress like that the parent teacher meeting all.
Speaker 2: These stuffy people.
Speaker 1: Right, and she's gonna throw down with the lady. And she looks at the guy and says, you know you play golf. Yeah, well you know that's your world and I have mine exactly. You know, it's so good, can it was so good, and you know it's it's really bending dorms and it's and it's and it's going into these places, and you know, she's automatically going to be at odds with all of this tradition. And I mean, this is what she ran away from and then but now this is literally what she ran away from sixteen years ago, and now she's back in it, and she's back in it with her parents. So she's she's got she's got to hold her daughter's hand hand through the process because it's what's best for her. But the conflict is so thick, it's so great, you know, Ted, what a great setup, right for a series, What a great setup.
Speaker 4: Go back and spend time in that whole culture and to help me through it, which is the culture she just hates. So yeah, it's interesting dynamic, right, right, So Sullivan's just congratulations on that, the titular character obviously, And we haven't seen you in a while, right, and now you're I saw it was like seven point five rating on MDB.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, you know, people love it. Yeah, it's number one in Canada, it's number one in Australia. I think it's it's it's doing very well globally. Yeah, it's it's a nice, nice little show. It's it's it's kind of got that Gilmour vibe too, you know, it's got that small town feel and eccentric characters not quite as centric is is Gilmour. It's not a comedy, it's not a drama. It's it's a drama, but it's yeah, it's got some vibes. Let's go to Kim Antiques now we see Rory because this is really a big Rory episode. It's like we were establishing Rory as the centerpiece here of her world, and now we go see her relationships a little more. Her relationship with Lane heads on over and we see the wacky world of missus Kim's antiques, miss Kim's antiques, and they're playing where we're here here Marco polo as people like to call it Marco Polo. Okay, and Finder has to walk through all the antique stores and and missus Kim is making some sales, you know, she's like she's selling stuff for you know, at that time three hundred seventy five watched for a table not bad score. Yeah, man, she's doing well. And uh so they discuss the d and gives her a chocolate bar and Lane's not permitted to have it twelve calorie rice cake. Lane Kim herself, you know, under the watchful eye from never having its wix bar or a milky we It's chocolate covered death, as she refers to it as as uh. An undaunted Rory retorts with a swirl sweet caramel surprise, then walks away. So interesting how we see all these dynamics feathered in to this one little scene and they're sort of telling you the story without telling you the story. You just can sit back and watch the little little bits of conflict here and there and the problem. And but at the end of the Hey, it lands on you that this is what friends are for. She's going to her friend's house to get support.
Speaker 2: And you also saw that too in the beginning when she when Rory's driving to school and she calls Lane, and Lane's in her closet and she and she's like, oh, let me check, and she opens up her closet and that's like the first time you see like, oh, she like hides her real self at home, you know, like her closet is full of all these neon lights. And then she opens up her closet and it's her boring bedroom. Right, So that's like the first glimpse you get of Lane being different in hiding really who she is, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, she could have been sitting on our front front porch and that's it. We knew. We learned nothing new about Lane. Yeah, right, it's written that way. It's awesome weaving, God said, weaving all this information into the story.
Speaker 1: Isn't it great?
Speaker 2: Hell?
Speaker 1: Amy does that amazing? And you root for Lane because she's she's just sort of accepted who her mother is and what her life is living with her mother. But she figured out a way to not go crazy, you know, and she doesn't have to be above board about it, because it's like, Mom, I'm doing this. I'm gonna sit in my cool plush you know, purple velvet room with a strobe light and just chill man, you know, and you'll love to see it. And now we we go to Luke's and Rory's upset, you know, she's she's struggling to keep up the pace at Chilt and we haven't seen Rory like this at all. It's good that they're giving her this giant obstacle to overcome Paris, those girls at that school, the school.
Speaker 2: Also the fact that she can't like walk all over the school like she's used to. You know, they're like, no, we got very strict rules in line and if you can't adhere to them, and if you can't level up, then sorry, you fall behind.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I was devastating speech that the principal came to Laura, maybe she shouldn't be here, She don't have to be here. Maybe she doesn't have to go to Harvard. Maybe she shouldn't. I mean those are devastating. I mean talk about reverse psychology and talk about staying cool under fire. Because you know, Laura, I like, well.
Speaker 2: What would you do if somebody told you that about your kids?
Speaker 4: Ted?
Speaker 2: You don't know this, but my son is one years old, so I haven't gotten into that like that level yet. But Scott, your kids in school, and Ted, I'm assuming yours are too. Like if somebody told you that about your kid, I probably would unleash Mama Bear and the school would burn down. Like I wouldn't know how to handle.
Speaker 4: That station about my son last year, his junior year in the Prince with the principal. It was a bit reversed because nowadays the public schools are just too soft and this is a school with a good reputation, and we're both Laurie and I are both you got to ratchet it up here this kid and he's like, no, he's a good kid. So it's like a backwards conversation compared to what they were having on the episode. Come on, kick him in the butt. He needs a fire under his ass.
Speaker 1: All right, right, how about you.
Speaker 2: Scott, how would you handle conversation like that at school. You had a smarty pants too, So smarty pants of a kid.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The only time I ever went into his elementary school principal's office was during you know, it was like right after the lockdowns ended, and the kids were really aggressive coming out of COVID, like those those kids were super aggressive coming out of COVID. So there was a lot of bullying and a lot of just wild behavior going on, and and you know, Nick was on the other end of some of that, and so we had some I had some conversations with the teachers, but I think a lot of parents did with with uh that school, and they solved it pretty pretty quickly. Yeah, they they they solved it very very quickly because it was out of control coming out of COVID. And I think I took everybody by surprise. I mean, nobody could have could have predicted how children would come out of COVID and back into a social situation. I mean it was just explosive situation. Yeah, kids were just like going they were climbing walls with aggression, and it was it was bad. It was bad. But you know, it calmed down pretty quickly and they actually had to them and and and this is like, you know, this isn't a a this is a really really great school. Reputation of the school is impeccable. But they had some challenges, you know, and I think a lot of parents went in and helped out. You know. I think I think we we sort of put the pedal of the metal, as it were. It's like, you know, yeah, we're you know, we're not going to tolerate this, and and they responded, to their credit, they really responded. And now it's just like it's a really nurturing, thriving environment for all the kids. Uh COVID. COVID just ripped up a lot of man, I mean all over the country and all over the world, you know, yeah, really really just affected people. So adversely, you know. So that's that's but we have have been back in since, you know, we're just we go on every once in a while and they give us more awards for him.
Speaker 2: So I guess you don't want to be in the school in your kid's principal office, like you'd rather not stay outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't want to go in. There's no reason.
Speaker 2: I feel like we wouldn't be doing our job in this episode if we did not discuss the deer of it all. That is what the title of the episode is. I laughed out loud seeing that scene again, seeing the deer just run into good Rory's car, and she's like, a deer hit me, and everyone's like, you hit a deer and she's like, no, the deer hit me. I was laughing so much, so funny.
Speaker 1: What'd you think, ted? It didn't hit me. It wasn't a big comedy moment for me. It was just like kind of a chuckle, unexpected, last thing you expected.
Speaker 4: I like shaing hit by a deer over and over again, people having a reaction to that, people like, no, you got it wrong, hit you because no one gets hit by a deer. I like like that long that joke that kept playing over and over again. But at the moment itself, I was terrified.
Speaker 1: Pretty hard hit. I mean she got nail and a crunch that door. Pretty good funny scene. I mean she did it. She did a great job acting wise with the physical comedy part of it's trying to take her her her her I guess her pajama bottoms off because she had her her chilting uniform on, and then running back the car, and you know, the pink pajama bottoms are flying around on her foot because they're still stuck on her foot. So good, good visuals, you know, funny stuff. You know, if shows, if plot emanates from character, this show really adheres to that very wise writing advice, you know, because when you try to plot something out without the consideration of character first, you're in big trouble, big trouble. And that's why you get these wooden films and these really wooden, horrible TV shows. The ones that really resonate have the great characters, and the great character characters you follow them around. They make the plot happen. They make the story happen. And that's exactly you know, you pick a couple of really powerful universal themes and then you have these great characters take you through it. And that's what we have. So the setup is so beautiful here. We know we have a cast of characters. We know we have these powerful characters and Lorelei and Rory and Suki uh and that we haven't even met really Luke very much yet, and we really haven't met Taylor, and you know all these other characters that are you know, not the main part of it. But you know, kind of important aspects of it. But we have we have a nice core group of characters here that I think we feel very comfortable with and enjoy their company, and we think they're kind of funny and smart and heartwarming and all that good stuff, which is what you need for something like that.
Speaker 4: Yes, a good point.
Speaker 1: You know, after episode four, we're we're in a really comfortable, good place. We've got characters that we love, and we've got all of this conflict to look forward to. The questions are is Rory going to make it? Is laurel I going to make it with all the Friday night dinners? Or as their head going to explode? Is Laureal I going to find love? Is what's going to happen to What's going to happen to these two? What's going to happen to their relationship? You know, we've only it's and we're on the clock too that the you know, the the sand is going through the hour glass on Rory even being at home anymore. It's a couple of more years and she's off to college. You know how they going to drag us out. So there's all this sort of tension building up with this uh with this series, and it's it's just quite compelling. Ted, what what do you find? What are you finding about this series so far?
Speaker 4: I have to go back to the crossroads that Rory is facing. By the end of the episode, she resolved that she's going to hang in there, and again as a as a father, just this proud moment that this this girl has come to the conclusion on her own.
Speaker 1: Now mm hmmmm hmmm.
Speaker 4: Pick it out and I'm going to fight. I'm going to fight it out and I'm going to take the road less traveled and proud uh of Rory for doing that. Yeah, and it's going to hurt and it's going to be art and then she can make up in Max's class. The fact she did wasn't able to take the test, but the makeup is not going to be easy. I just pull out at this point, but she's like, she's gonna stick it out.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's a really nice scene when they went and looked for the deer at the end to say if it was okay, but they had that they had that nice talk, and it further establishes Lorelai as like this supreme, sensitive, nurturing, smart mom right. She gives Rory the power to make a choice whether to go back to Stars Hollow High because she wouldn't have a problem with it, you know, or stick it out and just perfect and you know, not playing games with her daughter, but you know, psychologically, but making her perhaps leading her in one direction where she knows she doesn't want to give up just yet. You know, great scene, great scene. You just you just keep falling in love with the characters, and uh, this is a very very powerful relationship with These are powerful portrayals, I agree.
Speaker 2: Oh no pun intended this point.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just at this point, you're just like you're enthralled with this series, and it's you know, for a guy, it's not really like the kind of thing that honestly that I have ever watched or whatever watch. But you know, I'm in the show and I'm watching these episodes and I just see how darn good it is, and uh, it's kind of magical. And you and and and people are celebrating the show still twenty four years later and turning to this show as they're they're their their support pet or their their comfort animal or their comfort show or come for food, whatever you want. It It serves many different purposes for people, but support and lightness. Yeah, Ted, I.
Speaker 4: Think one of the keys is what you talked about earlier too. There's plenty of it. It's all coming together. But the writing. The characters don't just say a joke like in crappy sitcoms. It doesn't matter who says the joke and which portrays the character. It doesn't matter if it betrays the character that they say. It matters that the joke gets out there. But Amy, all the humor comes out of the characters. She and Dan Sorry it is. Any joke that comes out of them is from who they are and so, and it's believable, and it also helps develop the character rather than just develop another joke.
Speaker 1: Right, everything's organic. It's like they're great dramatists. They write great dramas, They write great situations packed with tension and conflict, and then they challenge themselves, Let's see how funny we can make this without it distracting from what we're trying to say here, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And they always do it.
Speaker 1: They always do it so well with some all this quick humor and quippi stuff. That's why the speed, Because we've got eighty pages. Of wonderfulness here for you when normally you get fifty five or sixty in an hour show, and you're gonna have to talk real fast so we can get to the jokes, so the jokes work right faster.
Speaker 4: You see these quippie jokes, the funnier they are.
Speaker 1: It's a weird right, right. And I don't think they thought we need to do this so fast and have it so dense with humor and cultural references. Is nobody's going to get some of the people will get that they're gonna have to go back and watch it again. I don't think that was their intention, right, but that's the way it turned out. I don't think they sat around and said, how do we make a show that's so addictive that twenty four yearly years later people are having it, you know, just on a loop in their homes, you know, which is what happened. So anyway, great job, great job. Final thoughts A plus, yeah, A plus.
Speaker 4: So far minute for the long haul?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just four delightful episodes. I think this is you know, this is when we started reading all of these glowing reviews in the Hollywood Reporter and The Bride, and I think Deadline Hollywood and they were talking about this very special show. I mean the reviews were just there was reviews coming in after the pilot that were off, off the chain, great, and we're all real excited about it, and they just kept coming. And I can see why now because this because remember it was the year two thousand, you know, it really wasn't There wasn't a lot of stuff on TV like this. This really stood out. And I think and I see a lot of shows now that are filled with high speed dialogue, and I think this might have kicked off and inspired a whole generation of writers, because I think a lot of the people that are that we're seeing on Netflix now, these these great writers. I mean, there's some great shows out there now. You know, I was watching The Diplomat last night and I'd never seen it before. It blew mots my mind how good this is. And other shows, you know, the Morning Show, Fantastic, the the Soccer thing, that comedy with what's his name, Uh yeah, Ted, Ted Lasso. I mean just there's all this terrific writing going, all this terrific stuff, and I think some of it it feels like it came from Dan and Amy. I think they inspired a generation of very gifted writing students in college. You know, I think a lot of if you interview a lot of these people and they go on to win these big awards and say, well, when I was in college, or when I was in high school or junior high, I was obsessed with Gilmore Girls, and I just thought this writing is so fantastic, and that's what made me want to be right for television to write for a movie.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna hear.
Speaker 1: I think you're gonna hear a lot of that.
Speaker 4: If you're a writer, you can imagine the rhythm is so consistent and so there. Just by watching it as a writer, you absorb that rhythm and so it's going to come out of you in your writing.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think they they cracked open the ceiling. I think Amy and really they they did something that if it had been done before, because I know they were inspired by old movies, uh you know, from the forties, but they just did it in a fresh new way that it was like this this iteration of this style of writing that no one had really seen before in these situations. And they've seen them in the forties style movie situations, but not not like this.
Speaker 4: It's a Denique style, Yeah, basically amalgamation of different styles, but it's their own styles. So naturally they stood out and it's good, right, and they're they're terrific writers, so it was considered right.
Speaker 1: They they they they mashed up a couple of different styles, and we're going to set it in this this beautiful little town and make it a family friendly show and make it about community. But we're going to have all this artistic license with the writing and the humor and the sarcasm and the snippiness, all this stuff through Lorla.
Speaker 3: I mean, what a role.
Speaker 1: I mean, Lauren Graham, what a role? It was? The role of a lifetime. Is It's like the role of that era, right, It's the role. There's no other role like it. Yeah, Anyway, I'd love to I'd love to meet all these new writers and talk to them, see who their inspirations were. I'll bet you to a man and a woman, they'll say, Amy Sherman, Palladino, Dan Paladina. Yeah, they spawned a lot of great stuff mixed uhs.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, why right?
Speaker 1: Jesus imagine, like we'll just we'll write a Gilmore Girls just sort of home on our craft and then we'll go off and write something really good.
Speaker 2: Wow wow, speaking of really good, m hmm, I'm going to go a little rogue and make a little announcement that Ted is going to be joining us on a very special event in December.
Speaker 4: Is that correct? Ted?
Speaker 2: Are we still one hundred percent?
Speaker 4: They handed me an envelope that they said it was going to change my sights?
Speaker 2: Ie, Ted, I went bro. We weren't supposed to announce this yet, but since you're here, I'm like, we have to just say it. We'll announce the rest of the guests later on this month. But Ted is joining us for our I'm All In event at Warner Brothers Studio on December eighteenth. The sad thing is in person tickets have been sold out for a long time, but if you wanted to stream it you still can so beeps dot com slash I'm all in. But Ted, We're super excited to have you and our fans and just Gilmore girls. Fans are going to freak out when they see what they have in store for them on December eighteenth.
Speaker 3: Really cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'll be just great because it's sold out. For me to get a ticket in, you know, we'll get you in.
Speaker 1: Well, you're going to be a guest.
Speaker 2: It's going to be it's gonna be a good time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it'll be fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So go to veeps dot com slash. I'm on to get tickets for the streaming ted.
Speaker 2: Have you gone to Warner Brothers during like Christmas time when the stars hall is all decked out.
Speaker 4: Only for a Gilmo Girls episode, but other than that, I've never known.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, you're going to Oh boy, Warner Brothers doing holidays made here from December eighteenth to January fifth, And what they've done is they've refurbished and rebuilt Luke Steiner Taylor Docy's Market. They have decorated the entire back lot at Warner Brothers as it was during Gilmore Girls, but enhanced it with lights and Christmas lights and all kinds of displays. And Warner Brothers has a massive merch store set up inside a Dosie's market, and they're going to be fans are going to be coming in be able to buy.
Speaker 2: All the food and drinks is girls food and drinks, tards, doughnuts like stuff like that.
Speaker 1: That is yeah right, I've I've cought my coffee company co branded with Warner Brothers, and we've got we're launching our Winter Blend that day. We've got five other blends that we're going to be serving there, and also there's also a surprise beverage that we're going to be serving as well. I believe it starts with Hot and ends with cho So we're very excited about that.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited, I like aim counting down the days. It's gonna be so much fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be a blast.
Speaker 4: So time.
Speaker 2: We look forward to seeing you.
Speaker 1: Yes, we do. Thanks for joining us, Ted Rooney, the one and only uh much fun.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: And you keep in touch with Sally much. I know she's always out on the road doing a musical theater. She's always in Kansas or Missouri and she's doing she's lighting it up for those people out in the Midwest and they love her yours. Yeah, yeah, she's doing great. Anyway, Thanks for coming on. We will see you December eighteenth at Warner Brothers. Okay, and we're gonna throw it down, man, We're gonna have a good time.
Speaker 4: My son is probably gonna come down with me, so great.
Speaker 2: We can get a ticket for him too, Don't worry.
Speaker 4: Yes, ash okay, now okay.
Speaker 1: Actually a couple of friends flying in from the East Coast and bringing their kids, and you know, they're getting the VIP treatment, gonna be in the green room and we're gonna hang get the tour to get the Warner Brothers tour because that's so awesome, you know. Yeah, we'll see on the eighteenth. Thanks everybody. Next episode is season one, episode five, Cinnamon's Wake, and uh, we got to do the new sign off. We have a new sign off now, and I keep stumbling on it because I really like the old one and I've done it like hundreds and hundreds of times now we're actually thousands. But the new one is best fans on the planet. I can still say that because that's always going to be true. And where you lead, we will follow.
Speaker 3: See you next time, everybody, and don't forget Follow
Speaker 1: Us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.