Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome back to the Bob Websett's Podcast. My guest today is Dennis McNally, who has a new book, The Last Great Dream, How Bohemians became Hippies and created the Sixties. Dennis, why this book?
Speaker 2: Why now?
Speaker 3: I find myself, you know, in my age as apparently the self appointed historian of the counterculture in America since World War Two. I did books on Kerouac and The Grateful Dead and the sort of the deeper background of it all, and then I sort of paused, and in twenty sixteen I was invited to curate a photo show about the Summer of Love for the California Historical Society. Every museum in the Bay Area was going wild over, you know, celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the Summer of Love. So I started on that. I started with the beats and sort of started poking around. It was it was it was a treasure hunt, really, and it was great fun. And after a few months I went, this is a book. This is the origins of the sixties, of what we think of as the sixties, which is in considerable part starts starts in the Haye Ashbury. Although it has kindred spirits in many places, specifically la New York and London, which is what I studied.
Speaker 2: Okay, some of the similar vintages you but many people were not alive at the sixties. What do people not get about how the sixties really were?
Speaker 3: The media, you know, there's a fascinating article by a guy named Hendrik Hertzberg, who would turn out to be the writer for The New Yorker and a very distinguished guy, and he probably he was a beat reporter for Newsweek in the late sixties, and he the went to the Haye Ashbury quite early, and for whatever reason, it's a brilliant article. And if news We could actually run it instead of what they ended up doing, because of course different people write, and he was just a traveling reporter, they would have had the best thing ever written about the hate. Because what happened was the media after the BN which exploded the whole story with an enormous turnout in Golden Gate Park in January of sixty seven. The media descended on the hate, and unfortunately, these are people who basically couldn't see past what they saw, which was flowers, unusual people, stoned people, and they couldn't see the basically spiritual and anti material aspects of that culture and how it had all sort of ended up in the music. And all they knew was these people were weird and they didn't understand them, and that's the way they wrote about them. And that's really lasted many years. I teach a high occasionally go and lecture high school class that focuses on the sixties. And the point I keep trying to make to these students, because they're fascinated with the sixties. Now a few of them, you know, have hippie parents or just you know, some fascination with like the music little you know, young deadheads for instance. But what I keep trying to emphasize with them is, in my opinion that the reason they're interested in the sixties is that it's never gone away the issues that were raised, whether it's organic food or Asian studies or sexual you know, the whole idea of the gentle male hippie, which evolved into gay liberal into a welcoming gays to San Francisco in the seventies. And you know, now with the issue is trans people, what we have actually is, you know, an exact reversal of those values with the values of the president administration, which you have to remember. One of the side effects of the Hayde Ashbury and the free speech movement and the Wats rebellion was the election of Ronald Reagan as governor in nineteen sixty six and then president in nineteen eighty. And from Reagan to Trump is you know, pretty much a direct line of resistance to the sixties. That's really, you know, to some extent, what it's about.
Speaker 2: Okay, what was in the water in California? Why did this started in California?
Speaker 3: San Francisco is the only city in America. New Orleans is slightly different for the reason that it was a colonial city and it's just different. But San Francisco is the only cities evolved as economic institutions. You know, people come together and they do business. But San Francisco as a city was created by frankly, slightly crazy people who were not fitting in with their world on the East Coast, or in Chile or in China, and they came to San Francisco on a gamble and they were gambling on gold, of course, and it left this ethos that even though you know, it became a city and it had a conventional political structure and churches and normal you know, superficial normal things. But it left a heritage of tolerance for craziness that is unique in American in American cities, the example being a man named Emperor Norton. Norton had been, uh, went crazy basically after he went busted in the stock market, and he dubbed himself Emperor Norton and then proceeded to print up Emperor Norton banknotes. Now, you know, every city has its crazies, and and you know there's no great surprise in that. But what is different about San Francisco was that the bartenders and the restaurant people in San Francisco accepted these clearly not real dollars and fed him out of admiration for his craziness. That's the only way I can explain it. And and that's just something that's always been a little part of San Francis.
Speaker 2: When did Emperor Norton live.
Speaker 3: In the eighteen sixties and seventies.
Speaker 2: Okay, eighteen sixties, seventies, the beginning of the century, there's an earthquake. You're saying that this ethos pre dates all of this, It really starts around the time of the gold Rush.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's just you know, there's a quote in my book from Robert Duncan, one of the poets I studied, that talks about San Francisco is the Western edge of dreams. You know, it's you start talking about geography, and it gets a little mystical, and some people get very nervous. But the fact is that San Francisco, you know, so called Western civilization, which were theoretically least part of starts in generally around Europe, Europe and the Middle East, and proceeds west, and it gets across America, and it gets to the Pacific, and it, you know, stops in the sense, and San Francisco was the edge, and in fact, from the beginning looked west to Asia just as almost just as much as it did back east to you know, Boston and New York and the centers of American so called civilization.
Speaker 2: Okay, you talked about the roots being in San Francisco, Los Angeles, in New York. Let's stay in California for a second. What was going on in Los Angeles?
Speaker 3: Los Angeless is somewhat different from San Francisco. As I say, the tolerance for crazy, well, it came out different, and Los Angeles unusually did not have this big tradition. I mean it was founded by Roman Catholic priests, of course, and then around the turn of the century and heading toward the era when Hollywood sort of brought many people to Los Angeles, it did not have that tradition. But what it did have, and I don't particularly have an explanation for it, is an openness to unusual religions, so that theosophy prospered there. They brought in I've just gone blank on his name. Do to Christian Murdy, who they decided was the new Jesus. He said, nah, I'm just a teacher. But stayed in Los Angeles and they're all kinds, you know, esoteric occult astrology. Joseph Campbell, the great historian of art, came to San Francisco, I mean Los Angeles in the thirties and was bemoaning the fact that everybody in Los Angeles seemed to be into astrology, which he regarded with some reserve, shall we say. And you know, so there was this this receptiveness and then what happened eventually, Uh, and the most interesting for me, other than for instance, the the the music world, which Los Angeles contributed John Cage to the world. And uh, but the the main line of cultural transference was in art. Los Angeles immediately immediately became in a narrow way. I mean, it wasn't like it was in the Los Angeles times. But the fact is that that modern art, uh and abstract expressionism and then later pop art, you know, it just came straight out of Los Angeles. Andie Warhol's first show was in Los Angeles, and there was a receptiveness to to experimental art that Los Angeles, Uh, you know gave really gave the United States.
Speaker 2: Now you talk about third point of the triangle in New York. How does New York figure into your sixties thesis?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, New York was the capital of freethinking in America, at least since Walt Whitman, you know, held court at Fafts, which was this bar in the Bowery, which is to say, just on the edge of Greenwich Village. And for whatever reason, Greenwich Village became the home of freethinking from really the beginning, in particular the beginning of the twentieth century and through what they call it the introduction of modernism in American art and literature, and there was the Masses and Robert Eastman and all kinds of things. Mabel Dodge Lewin was doing peyote in the village in nineteen teens before she and d Lawrence moved out to uh to Santa Fe or Taos, I should say, and you know, there's there's always been this, you know, froth the the hippie specific hippie thing was tricked to me. The the catalyst, the trigger of it was LSD.
Speaker 2: But before before, before you get there, okay, so we have the landscape, the ground is tilled with all of this craziness, insight, astrology, different thinking. When does it start to Germany? You know, you talk about Norton in the eighteen sixties. When did these things start to flower? Is it all as we say, post war, post World War two? Is it before that? When does it start to coalesce? We not coalesced. When did it start to germinate?
Speaker 3: Well, that's a very good question. I would say it started to germinate again in the introduction of the modern to an openness, to a culture that was not explicitly Christian for instance, that was you know that anticipated a certain looseness and freedom that runs into the rest of the twentieth century. By the you know, one of the elements, for instance, in an important element ethical element in the scene of Greenwich Village was Dorothy Day and the Catholic Workers, and that started in the thirties, for instance, again as a conscious communal attempt. She had started out as a left wing socialist and then decided that it just it lacked soul. She adopted Catholicism, but was concerned that the Church did not have enough social concerns for you know, the the less privileged, and created the Catholic Workers, which had a real impact in the Greenish village, particularly in their pacifism. But yet so it germinates in various strands. Before World War Two, but you have this devastating depression which you know, people generally speaking it was more important to survive than to try and create something new in many ways during the thirties. Then you have this complete unified effort during World War two in which everyone whether it was women going to you know, work in factories or boy scouts collecting newspapers for you know, recycling dribes. Everyone was rationed sugar and meat and tires and whatnot. So you have this unified effort against fascism. And then what happens is we get to the end of World War Two and we should be you know cha la lah, a happy day, except that we're immediately in a Cold War. And the problem with the Cold War is that a lot of Americans said, wait a minute, you know, we fought this war. We deserve you know, we deserve a win. What is this with, you know, continuing yet another war. And the problem is that rather than accept that, hey, eighteen million Soviet people died in that war, you know, they have their reasons for doing what they're doing. There was a large trend towards blaming internal flaws in the American resistance, which is to say, the Roosevelt administration, and they called it communism. They say, oh, there must be communists, there must be a We all know now that sometimes people will grab a conspiracy theory as a more satisfying answer to why things are the way they are, rather than saying, well, the objective forces of history look at this. Of course they're you know, going to resist the Soviets. So anyway, you end up with what we call McCarthyism. Except it was a great deal more than than Joe McCarthy, and uh so there's this incredible repression and and uh, you know, intolerance of any deviating viewpoint, in particular sexual. I mean, a great deal of the of the the government attacks on on, you know, so called investigating so called disloyal people ended up being about gay people and about anybody. That nudism was considered subversive. And it literally it's in the law that Eisenhower passed or his executive order. So and then on top of all that, you have this incredible burst again after the depression of prosperity during the fifties, and everybody's you know, gobbling up their prosperity, and you know, you can't blame them, but the price of that prosperity was silence. You know, don't don't push it, don't challenge things. I was interviewing Michael McClure, the beat poet, and I said, you know, why did on the Road howl? But howl in a more rarefied way, because it's one hundred and fifty people heard it. First. On the Road was this best seller, and you know, a whole raft of people, starting with Janis Joplin, David Bowie, Bob Dylan and Jerry Garcia just as examples of sixties. We people we associate with sixties read Kerouac and went, yes, this is a world I want to be part of. And it was basically about spiritual freedom, about looseness, about exploring rather than conforming. And it had this incredible impact. So I interviewed Michael mclaur and I said, why did this book have such a powerful influence. I read it and I like it and it's important to me. But and he just looked at me. I was young, and he looked at me and he said, Dennis, did you live in the fifties? And I said, well, you know, I was ten when they ended, so I kind of sort of but not. And he went, well, if you had, you'd understand why. It just it was radical, and you know, it was denounced by the right, and it had the extraordinary good fortune of having its first great review, its first review, you it's important review done not by the main critic of the New York Times, a guy named Orville Prescott, nicknamed Prissy, who would have lunched it, and instead by a young editor who was very interested in this stuff named Gilbert milsted it's one of the discovering him was one of the the uh the great successes of my research on Kerouac, because nobody had talked to him before, and that was you know that he was open to it, and he wrote a review that that said that On the Road was the fifties version of The Sun Also Rises, and you know it's never stopped since God only knows how many copies it'd sold.
Speaker 2: Okay, in your book, you talk about the poets Kenneth rex Roth, Lawrence Ferlingetti. How does that end up in San France, Cisco, and how does that Germany?
Speaker 3: If you decide that you're going to be a poet and you're not at an academic institution, you right away put yourself outside normal culture because you're not going to make any money and you're going to have to, you know, find a way to preserve your voice. Rex Roth, I start the book, you know, when I was doing that photo curation, I had started with the obvious, which was how and which was in nineteen fifty five. But how and Allen Ginsberg, who was of course an import from New York, along with Grolengetty, all came into San Francisco in the mid fifties that had already had a really thriving poetry scene. It was sort of led because he literally had he had salons classes in two things, poetry and anarchism, various flavors of anarchism, and anarchism not as throwing rocks or bombs or whatever, but anarchism as in freedom of thought. And that, you know, that's rex Roft's fundamental connection. So when I went to start the book as a book, I decided that the connection of rex Roth and Robert Duncan, who was raised by theosophists and occultists and various you know, mystic, very mystical family, he brought in again an openness to shall we say, the mysterious, and together they generated a scene that quickly included Philip Lamontilla. It was very interesting pairing because of course Duncan was very gay, to the extent that he had literally outed himself in nineteen forty four, which is remarkable, ended up, which resulted in him being basically completely ignored by the Eastern literary establishment for the rest of his life. That that's just simply seemed seemed to revolt people on the East Coast. It didn't bother anybody in San Francisco. Interestingly, Rexcroft was you know, occasionally periodically homophobic, and somehow it didn't matter to him at any rate. They together, they sort of stirred up this interest in in poetry that led to you know, many other poets, James Brown and Helen Adam and all kinds of people, and there was this very active poetry scene and it was all about poetry, to oversimplify, but poetry that came from the heart, that was that was individual, individually focused. At that point, the the new critics that dominated American poetry, mostly from the East Coast, basically prized uh, precision, irony, distance, lack of emotion, all the kinds of things that San Franciscans, the San Francisco poets said now and among other things, it was in San Francisco was poetry made to be read out loud and performed, and they, you know, poetry readings became a standard feature of San Francisco poetry. That message or that you know, that that that practice that the poets developed, spread, among other things, to the students at what was then called the California School of Fine Arts and later the San Francisco Art Institute and students there in particular, started as the fifties went along, spreading that message in their own lives. The classic example of that is a guy named Wally Hedrick. Wally Hedrick was a student at CSFA and then eventually taught there and became a very distinguished assemblage what they called funk Art that was, you know, associated was the beat painting or in his case, metalwork version of poetry in nineteen fifty eight. To skip ahead, but really, in some ways the crux of my whole book, you know, you can talk about it is he's teaching. Wally is teaching at the Institute what was going to become the Institute Saturday class to high school students, and one of his students was a young man named Jerry Garcia. And one of the things that Wally did in his classes was play acoustic blues like Big Bill Brunsi and such, which resulted in Jerry Garcia. When he got an accordion for his birthday that year, Piston moaned and cried and told his mother, no, no, no, it has to be a guitar, and you know it, and there he went for the rest of his life. But at the same time, he and his buddies said, because remember this is nineteen fifty eight, this is you know, current bestseller, front page news and top of the bestseller list. He said, what is this beat thing? You know we keep reading about it. And Wally replied, you're a beat. Go down a City Lights, get this book and you know, on the road and you know you'll see. And he did, and it was his bible for the really for the rest of his life. His role model, carok was his role model. Which is why thirty years later or twenty years later, whenever it was that I popped up, I sent him a copy of my biography of Kdillac and he eventually turned to me and said, why don't you do us? And I said, good idea. And that led me into the next stage. I had already sort of been adet head, and that led me to this next stage after the Beats, which was hippies and the Grateful Dead.
Speaker 2: Okay, you mentioned City Lights, which opens in nineteen fifty three in Los Angeles. There are issues with the government and there are riots downtown. If you were not downtown and there wasn't a newspaper, you would have no idea this was happening. When City lights opened to what did we was the general population aware of this? And was Jerry Garcia just lucky he was in the right place at the right time taking this class or was this in the water such that other people were flowering at the same time.
Speaker 3: It was kind of in the water, but it was also you know, luck, but not just look, Jerry Garcia was consciously sort of skeptical of the conventional culture and as a paint again, as a paint if you identify yourself as an artist, poet or artist paint or whatever, you automatic you automatically, you know, challenge conventional norms. I mean, you know, you're you're you're looking for a different path. And he he Uh so it wasn't just luck that he popped up in that in that classroom. Uh, but uh, it was important, of course that that Fri Lnghetti who took over city lights from a guy named Peter Martin and made it what it was that you know, he he got he was a trained poet. I mean he had gone to he had gotten his doctorate at the Sorbonne after World War Two on the GI Bill, and uh, he gets he wants to live in a city that that has some soul. That's that's what he said. And he took it through the train to San Francisco and immediately went Yes, he said, he found again a poetry culture that was what he said, provincial but liberating. And he created a clubhouse, you know, a social gathering like the Beats or or you know, any hippies later needs physical institutions to get, you know, to gather around. And for for the Beats, it was city lights and then a bar called The Place on Grant Avenue, and things flowered, people connected, and you know, how people find these directions these paths is one of those eternal questions that you have to ask each individual. And unfortunately nobody was going around saying, so why are you here in those days. It's a pity. Speaking as a historian, I would have loved to have come across that research.
Speaker 2: But okay, you mentioned, let's get back to LSD. How does LSD start and permeate the culture and why in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: The first introduction in any significant way into American culture of psychedelics, and it was originally psilocybin, and which is a derivative from peyote, but you know, so organic in that sense, versus LSD, which is sort of you know, laboratory created was of course from la and that was Aldos Huxley's The Doors of Perception. Aldus Huxley had left England fleeing World War two and come to Los Angeles for two reasons. One was that openness to alternative religion, which he was quite aware of, and he studied with Vedanta and a lot of stuff like that, and also the weather. Frankly, you know, it's a pleasant change from from London. And eventually but he was, you know, again an omnivorous seeker. And he read an article by a guy named Humphrey Osmond who was doing very sane, sober research on the effect of psychedelics and alcoholism in edmund Don't ask me why, but Edmonton, Canada, and he wrote an article. Huxley read it and said, you know, at that time they largely called psychedelics, and in particular when they got to LSD, uh psychoto neumenic which means imitating schizophrenia, that they thought it duplicated when people tripping were duplicating schizophrenia. And Osmond said, no, no, no, you know that that's probably not fair. How about psychedelic and he created the term psychedelic, which means mind manifesting. You know, whatever's there is gonna, you know, be shown to you in the course of your your experience. And Ousley said, I mean, Huxley said, bring it. And OsmAnd came to Los Angeles for a conference and brought some mescaline with him, which is psilocybin, and he took it, and being Huxley immediately wrote a small book about it called The Doors of Perception, which is really the first sort of message and to anybody he's sort of exploring these sorts of issues in America that there's this thing. Now. During the fifties, the use of CIA was largely controlled by the CIA. They had a program and this is not conspiracy theory, you know, it's it's it's well documented history. They had thought that it might be a really good truth stroke, which turned out not to be. So, you know, you it revealed all you could never figure out what, you know, what was literal and what was you know, imaginary. But they there were experimenters, and they used to a combinate a network of psychologists and various strange people, a lot of strange people that grafted themselves onto the psychedelic earliest psychedelic. There was a guy named Captain L. Hubbard, who, among other things, turned on some you know, was was involved with introducing LSD to Henry Luce. Okay, Henry Luce was the owner of Time magazine, a very you know, big deal, and he and his wife they lost their daughter and in her sorrow missus Luce Claire Claire Booth Loose reached out to various people, including one of Huxley's friends, Gerald Hurd, and tried psychedelics so, you know, many times as grief therapy basically, and I think it worked for Loose did it once? It ended up meaning that psychedelics was covered for a long time rather favorably by Time and Life. There were very positive articles about including one great article about Carry Grant addressing his alcoholism with with psychedelics. So you know, this is one of the again one of the weird threads that that that introduced it to people. The reason it had and in particular in a big time way in the San Francisco area, was the work of a fellow named Owsley Stanley. Owsley Stanley was a It was a fascinating character, brilliant and also in my opinion, probably on the autism spectrum, because his relationships with people were always fraught. But but he got interested and ended up making five million hits of LSD, very strong hits on my Dad, so that the scene, the San Francisco, you know, summer Lolove scene, so called the hippie scene, had fuel. In other words, there were people. There are a lot of people, you know, through the fifties, artists of all stripes, theater and ants and whatnot, but in particular in the Bay Area, but elsewhere, and they all are experimenting and they get to LSD and whatever else you say about LSD, and you can say a lot people have. The fact is that if you've taken LSD, you realize, to quote Jerry Garcia, that it reveals that there's a lot more going on in life in reality. Then you've been taught that it has many layers and many possibilities, and it's all much more interesting. It can be frightening, it can be whatever. But there's more there than just being told, well, you know, live your life, you're gonna die, you know, make babies and be normal quote unquote. And LSD was a key to exploration.
Speaker 2: Let's just stay with Jerry Garcia for Mario so called Captain Tripps. He starts with LSD, but has his life ensues. He ends up being hooked on Heroin. Where is the connection, if any, between LSD and on that journey for Jerry.
Speaker 3: Garcia, well, psychedelics, whether it was pot which is a very mild psychedelic and LSD opened him up to, you know, many things, including opening his his playing, which was based on improvisation, into you know, an entire musical world. His problem and was that, unfortunately, among other things, he became deified to the point where, uh, when you're stuck in your hotel room for an entire tour because you literally can't take a walk, you can't you can't go to the museum. You know, you're in New York and you can't go to the Museum of Modern Art because you're gonna get blombed on eventually, and lots of other stuff. I could go, you know, great length, but unresolved issues from his childhood ended up fighting depression, which which he would never acknowledge and which people never saw because he was an unusual guy in that even depressed, he was endlessly curious about the outside world. He would talk with strangers and people that you would ordinarily go you know eh, or interviews, which is why people love to interview, because he did not do merchandising. He wanted to have a conversation, which frankly, you know people from Rolling Stone would go, wow, he just wants to talk. I once, as the grateful that's publicist. I once started. I begged him to promote a side issue something he'd done with David Grisman. I think to this interview he was doing with Rolling Stone, and you know, there's one paragraph on half a paragraph and there's this long passage about Jerry's daughter then daughter, three year old daughter, and I was about ready to just read the Riot Act to the editor who had done the interview, and he said, listen. I tried, and I realized he was telling the truth. I tried to ask him about the music. He just wanted to talk about his fascination with you know, what was going on in his daughter's mind as he was growing up. Well, that's that's Jerry. But unfortunately, as I say, unacknowledged depression. He's self medicated and that you know, he he was anti authoritarian, so he wouldn't go to a doctor. So he chose something.
Speaker 2: Okay, Jerry is obviously not here, but inside relevant of what he verbalized, he was testifying about the powers of LSD. Was he convincing themselves there were other powers of insight in the other drugs he ultimately gravitated to. Or would he admit really, at his core this was self medication?
Speaker 3: Oh? I think you know? He yes, he would admit it. A friend of his, John McIntyre, had been with the band and that had gone away and had come back and saw Jerry, I want to say, in the early middle eighties, at which time he was already pretty well addicted, and John said how are you? And Jerry said, well, mostly I'm just becoming a junkie. He knew what was going on, he he you know, he uh, he could acknowledge it. But you know, he once said that it wasn't that he could be ornery about things like his personal space. You know, people tried to, oh, Jerry, you're hurting yourself, and you know this is more than once. Many deadheads come up to me or you know, anybody associated with the band and said, why didn't you save him? And my response is, have you ever you know, known someone deeply addicted, and you know, until they're ready to confront this, it ain't gonna work. And it didn't.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go back to LSD. You know, LSD is not illegal till a certain point in the sixties. Honestly, stan Lee makes his doses. Is this a small qude of people, or is when does LSD start to spread? You know, the country at large was a number of years behind San Francisco, but certainly from sixty to sixty four to sixty five, the rest of the country was oblivious. It was almost to hangover the fifties. What was going on in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Well, there was, certainly there was a community. There's a community of seekers, of people that were comfortable. There was a place called the Tape Music Center, which opened its main thing in nineteen sixty three. Now what made it interesting This was electronic composers a guy named Mortzebotnik, Pauline Oliverro's and Ramon Sender. And they're producing music that is not popular, I mean in the capital pre popular sense. It's you know, bleeps and blurbs and very you know, very limited market. It had a much greater influence than it had any business doing because among other things. When they opened, they had this building. They rented this building and very near the Hate. It was part of the transition from of Bohemia or whatever you want to call it, from North Beach to the Hate. But they included in their building KPFA, which was sort of a voice of cultural descent in the Bay Area, very unusual in America when it started in the fifties and through the sixties, and the Anhelprint Dance Workshop, which was again a very revolutionary new approach to dance, very very much in line with what else was going on, but for dance. And they started spinning off all these cultural fusions where you'd have events which combine art and dance and theater and music and whatnot. And one of these, for instance, took place one of the spinoffs at one of the aligned groups was called the Mime Troop, and the Mime Troop had a setup at a church on Cap Street in the Mission District of San Francisco, and they did this benefit for a guy who got arrested for pot and it combined all those things. One of the musicians was a young man, an unknown named Phil Lesh and as he later wrote, he didn't really know you know why he was I mean, he was there because it was fun, but he didn't exactly know what they were doing, whether they were just trying to you know, apati that has smacked the bourgeois or what. He just knew that it was incredible fun and that it led into improvisation, which two years later he leaving the musical familiar that he had been in, which was either big banjazz or neo classical modernist stuff, and started playing improvisational music with Jerry Garcia. But you know, that stuff just sort of flowers in the early sixties, and these are the kind of people that, when said you should try this, it's amazing experience, they did. The thing about the Hayde Ashbury was that it took what were the anti mainstream opinions of the artists, the avant garde artists of the fifties, and combined it with the music. And what had also happened in parallel was the folk scene, which is overtly political and had always been again associated with what had started out as the IWW and was now would he Guthrie and through the fifties as they gently left wing mode and all these folkies here are the Beatles yet another major influence, and start and go, No, this rock and roll thing sounds like fun. And they started playing rock and roll in in particular in San Francisco and for instance in La with the Birds, and in folk rock in New York City with the Love and Spoonful and so forth. And the end result is and then they encounter LSD by and large in just about that order, and they start creating an improvisational not always improvisational. The Jefferson Airplane, which was by far the more influential of the bands at that point. Then you certainly more than the Grateful Dead used only you know, certain elements of improvisation, and they were actually much more well for starters. They could sing, unlike the Dead in the early days. And the end result was you have this this fusion of message and mode, namely psychedelic rock, and it all comes together in San in particular the Birds triggered you know, mirrored it or started it really in some ways in at Zero's where again they combined dancing LSD some LCA. I don't know how much. It is very clear. There's a great article in the Free Press which was, by the way, the first way that people in La had to sort of connect with each other in that you know, Milliere, but this guy and right now I'm going blank on his name, but the guy who wrote the article, it clearly clearly had done LSD. And I suspect some of the people in the audience at Zero's had because again, you know, nobody was concealing anything in in San Francisco, and everybody in San Francisco knows somebody in Los Angeles, so there was there was already a flow, and the end result is the so called Summer of love.
Speaker 2: Wait, wait, before we get to the Summer of a hold on a second. Yeah, you have the mind true benefit. Okay, obviously if you're hipped to that world, you know about it. Really, by the seventies, every city has a local free rag where it has all the listings. If I'm living in San Francisco in the early sixties, am I aware? They say?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there's a San Francisco My troop not interested, but I know it's there, or is it? Nineteen sixty six sixty seven? Also, this was happening right under my nose. I had no idea.
Speaker 3: No, the mind troop had, you know, the benefit for the Mine Troop, which was in November of sixty five for starters, they had been arrested for performing without a license in the parks. They had gotten their permits. They had permits for forty nine shows all over the city. And then one of the one of the supervisors, not supervisors, but the members of the Park and Rec Commission said no, no, no, they're vulgar. We can't allow this. After what he saw the first performance. Then they went no, we're canceling. Well, this is called freedom of speech, and in fact that's what the judge decided not terribly long thereafter. So they went to the park, didn't set up a stage because that would have violated their lack of permit. But Ronnie Davis, the leader of the Mine Troope, said, you know, in the usual introduction, ladies and gentlemen and the Mime Troop of San Francisco presents of us, and they really immediately just for talking, they busted it. So it's in the paper, so you know, if you're if you're you know, again, it's sort of in the air in San Francisco who they are. But the San Francisco scene in a way, for instance, the Los Angeles to the best of my knowledge, didn't have other than the Freak, which you know is a very important connector. But in San Francisco it was in the daily paper because the San Francisco Chronicle had two people that covered the emerging counterculture from the fifties, namely a guy named Tom Albright, who was the art critic and very sympathetic to Wally Hedrick and all the rest, and a very important guy named Ralph Gleeson. Ralph Gleeson had been was a jazz started out as a jazz critic. He was the first daily first jazz critic, regular jazz critic at a daily American newspapers. I have read. I assume it's correct, but he's open to all kinds of music. So in the fall of nineteen sixty five, these four people who call themselves the Family Dog went to meet with him and told him that they were going to put on some shows and that the reason to that point rock and roll had been produced at the Cow Palace, and there were the sort of standard rock and roll shows of the era where you had ten bands that each played five songs, and you couldn't dance. You're getting arrested. People were getting arrested if they danced, and as Luria Castell, the kind of the leader of the dog said, you know the only problem is that they can't dance. We're going to have a show where everybody can dance. You know, there's not going to be any problems, which was quite correct. And they started shows in as I say, in the fall, and Gleeson was all over it. So it didn't you know, you didn't have to be hip. You didn't have to be you know. All you had to do is read the daily paper and read Ralph Gleeson, and he told you where to including the mind Troop benefit and other benefits there were three. In fact, he covered it all, so all you had to do is read the paper. So it was a lot easier because of Gleeson. Uh, this kind of information dissemination was much easier than almost anywhere else.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do some cleanup work. You talk about the migration from North Beach to the heat.
Speaker 3: Why and when The departure from from North Beach, of course, was obviously a cause of two things. One was there was an influx influx of tourists thronging Grand Avenue, and you know, sometimes dumb young young guys who get you know, sloshed and looked for trouble. At least one cop who hated interracial couples and harassed some of the poets who were in interracial couples, and just in general, rents went up and it just you know, North Beach sort of lost its luster. The interesting thing about the Hate was, first it was it had been a student neighborhood since the early fifties. San Francisco State University was originally at the located at the corner of Hate and Laguna, one end the east end of Hate Street, so it became you know, people were attending it. They lived in the Hate, which had been a very elegant neighborhood through the thirties, but in the third the Depression, it was cut off. These really magnificent buildings were cut up into apartments, very pretty expensive apartments. In fifty four, I don't know when they started there, frankly, maybe the thirties even, but in fifty four they moved to the current location, which is out in a residential neighborhood called the Sunset Far Away, but fortunately a straight streetcar ride to the Hate, so it stayed a student neighborhood. The other important thing was that, in their magnificent ignorance, the Dwight Eisenhower created the National Defense Highway Act and the engineers started building interstate freeways, which was fine in between say San Francisco and Reno, but they planned on doing having nine of them criss crossing San Francisco, dividing the city into little boxes. Fortunately, the supervisors resisted all but of it, and the last two were the last. The last one to be rejected was going to run straight up the Haye Ashbury neighborhood through Golden Gate Park so that you get to the Golden Gate Bridge faster. Locals were not having it, and fortunately, by March of sixty six it was rejected as you know, not not being useful. The result, however, had been that property values in the Hatue were like rock bottom, so it made it a very inexpensive neighborhood. As I say, uh the uh. The Tape Music Center sort of brought a lot of adventurous souls into an area with like literally one block off Hate Street and bit by bit and there was some other There's a place a coffee house called the Blue Uni Corn, which again brought but The fundamental reason was it was cheap. I mean you can to get you know, some friends and end up paying twenty or thirty dollars a month a person to live in the hate and this gives you you know, most people can scavenge together that much money even then, and you could live there. And that was the journal, you know, the nucleus of what became this psychedelic neighborhood.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go from sixty to sixty five, sixty five, there's a lot of change before that. Jerry Garcia is influenced by the yard scene. He is not the only one. You have Jerry Garcia and a jug band, you have Dan Hicks. What's going on musically then.
Speaker 3: Well, again, primarily before the Beatles, it was what you call folk. Jerry had, as I say, heard Big Bill Brunsey and gotten started studying the blues and just generally that also he actually played some early early rock and roll, which again was African American music modified by country music and creating this new new genre. But various things, as we all know, happened. You know, little Richard uh got religion, Chuck Barry, you know, Elvis went into the army, Chuck Barry got arrested. So the end result was this phenomenon called folk music, in which which had been sort of around but not you know, focused on, and a a sort of sanitized version, namely, the Kingston Trio made a hit and people got interested and they and people like Jerry got interested in not just you know, in Kingston Trio, but in all the varieties of American music, whether it was Cajun or you know, Elizabeth Cotton or you know, you name it, and he started studying that and then eventually he encountered what in some ways was his greatest love, which was bluegrass music and specifically the bluegrass banjo. And so he went off in, you know, in this highly demanding technical Uh there was a very strong folks sing in Berkeley that was a little more you know, sort of laid back. You know. Bluegrass is actually is not a folk music. It's a professional music created by professional musicians, and it's demanding and it's it's it's challenging to play. And he was into that. But the Berkeley people, they created a band called the Crabgrassers to make gentle fun of bluegrass because they felt it was all too too technical, too demanding, and to to to seeking virtueos of virtual rather than the community spirit of folk music. At any rate, he wasn't the only one. David Freiberg was a part of a folk duo called David and Michaela and eventually he fell in with low company like John Chippolina and they created Quicksilver Messenger Service and on and on, and Paul Cantner was a folkyu and Marty Ballen spotted him and said, you look right, you want to join a band. And you know, Jerry garcia Is, just after he had started playing electric music with what was then the Warlocks and would become the Grateful deb ran into his buddy, another blues guitarist by the name of Jorma Caalcanan, and Ormas says, you know, it's amazingly I'm in this electric band, and Jerry said that's funny, so am I And you know you Ormis was of course the Jefferson Airplane. So you have this span of musicians, almost all of them from folk roots. And as I say, then they can encounter first the Beatles and then in many cases LSD and things change.
Speaker 2: Okay, talking about the heat. As the sixties continue to play out, we have the hippies. The image is people who are essentially living on nothing. They're not violent. You have Emmic Grogan and the diggers providing food. When does that lifestyle start and why?
Speaker 3: Well, in some ways it's sort of had always been a you know, the idea of anti materialism, you know, started with throw you know, frankly, that's what my third books about is. You know, the background, the roots. You know, there's no there's no plan this this stuff. You know, nobody was saying, ah, we'll start, you know, to some extent, you know, it just happened. The hay Ashbury was San Francisco had a certain level of tolerance which made it, which encouraged it to happen there. It has a connection to nature that for instance New York, with all due respect, doesn't you know, you just don't feel the world of nature when you're in Tompkins Square Park and there is some kind of connection. And I won't go too far with this, but between appreciation for nature and the psychedelic experience, well, you know, it's one thing to be on h Street and you know you're really high and down the end of the block is Golden Gate Park and you know, you want to go experience nature there it is or quite close by an accessible marine county and tam and all this good stuff, unlike New York, which is you know which sort of you had to fight the fact that there's eight million people all around you. So you know, it's so at any rate, it coalesces in the hate just because just because it was it was, it was cheap, it was it was fun and for the year in nineteen sixty six at least it worked like a charm.
Speaker 2: Okay, So in nineteen sixty six, how many of these people were just living with cheap rent, working somewhere doing something, And how many were hippies, which people in that era might label free loaders or you know, hangers on in that era, how big an element was.
Speaker 3: That well, you know, even hippies had to work occasionally. The classic example is Danny Rifkin, who was one of the first managers of The Grateful Dad. He was the guy who managed, He was the house manager. Sure, here's an example. He was the house manager at seven to ten Ashbury Street, which later became the home of The Grateful Dad, and you know, sort of a legendary place. So he was getting his rent free. He was working very part time at the post office, and you know, so if you work, you could work ten hours a week or you know, at some dull mail sorting job and spend the rest of the time being happy. So you know that's not to say I mean freeloaders, no, you know not, I mean people found a way to live on the margin and have the time. You know. My personal favorite slogan is time is more important than money, because you know, time can buy you money, but you know, money can't really buy you time. And the the you know, and that was certainly Rifkins you know philosophy. Then he lived modestly and as a result could spend most of his time doing you know what he chose, and that was, among other things, to later to become the Dead's manager. An unmanageable bunch, but there you go. It worked for him. And so the people that were coming to the hay again were almost all, you know, having an affinity for living on the outside of the standard world. The neighborhood became identified as hippie simply because well it started with a lady named Peggy Caserta. Peggy Caserta was I happened to be a lesbian, was what was then called a stewardess for Delta Airlines, and then I think she worked in the you know as anyway, she came to San Francisco, fell in love with the city, and eventually opened Narsitica. Narsitica was named after one of Sappho who was you know, sort of the not role model, what's the word, the icon of lesbian culture, and Asitica was one of her lovers. And she opened this clothing store in nineteen sixty five. Actually it was sort of a mod store and it sold mod fashions. Then she took LSD and it became a psychedelic store. The Grateful Dead model for her not very good looking models by and large, but you know, she took what she could get her best. Her best customer was Marty Ballen, who was probably the most stylish guy in the hate and he kept her going and she, among other things, helped introduce bell bottom jeans to America because her all of her male friends were wearing boots and they needed, you know, none stove pipe jeans to get them over their boots. The fact. And then shortly thereafter there were a lot of other stores, including the psychedelic shop, which were these two brothers, Ron and Jay Felon, who decided, you know, what we need is a store where you can go learn how to take a good trip, to prepare yourself, that it's an important activity. And they bought. They sold books, obviously, they sold Huxley, they sold Archie Shep and you know avant garde jazz, John Coltrane, of course music and you know all the chachkes that what we think of as being part of hippie culture, incense and decorations and such. And it happened, and you know, more stores came.
Speaker 2: There was Okay, to what degree was there a migration and what was the motivation prior to nineteen sixty seven, the BN in the Summer of Love, people like Janis Joplin, How did they get the memo? And what drove them to San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Janie, There's an easy answer to that, which is she read about on the road in time. She was already not your average Port Arthur's person because she had glombed onto the blues early in her teens. She heard I think she heard Elvis Costello, Elvis Presley doing Jailhouse Rock. No, not Jailhouse rock Big Mama Thornton's song a Humdog, and then she went to Big Mama Thornton and she was hooked on the blues. So that made her a very unusual person. And she was from this factory town or oil refinery town in Texas called Port Arthur. And then she read about on the Road in time somehow managed to get a copy of the book. I don't think they sold a lot of copies in Port Arthur and said this is it. I'm a beat Nick. And again it was her bible. Dan Hicks of Dan you know Dan Hicks and the Hot Legs said that, you know, I met her as in her first visit to San Francisco, because it was obviously in on the road to San Francisco was where it was at. So she headed out to San Francisco, didn't do very well. She was a folky by then, but didn't didn't hit as it were, and but what's his name? Hicks describes meeting her as this big, tough, lesbian beatnick and she, you know, Janie got around who's clearly by but at any rate, but yeah, it was on the road that taught her that. And it was the scene in the fifties, for instance, the one of the essential fountains of alternative culture was a place called the Black Mountain College, which was actually in North Carolina, but it was where almost all of the avant garde artists on the East many of the avant garde artists and poets of the East Coast, starting with John Cage and Joseph Alberts and all these people taught and their students heard about San Francisco, That's all I can say. And they migrated, and one of them was became the bartender at the place, and another was a woman who was not really so much part of that scene, but was an important artist in San Francisco by the name of Ruth Osawa, who did these sculptures that are just, you know, a marvel. At any rate, The fact is that if you wanted to know, you found out.
Speaker 2: Okay, what is the antecedents of the ben? How does the ben happen?
Speaker 3: In?
Speaker 2: What is the BN experience?
Speaker 3: So Haye Ashbury in nineteen sixty six, as I say, was pretty low key. Nobody was paying any you know, neither the police nor city fathers were paying particular attention to it. It was just this funky neighborhood where oddly dressed people had started to emerge, very colorful, but you know, nobody paid much attention to them. One of the institutions that flowered in the fall of sixty six was The Oracle, which was the local what you would definitely call the hippie newspaper, mystical involved with a lot of astrology and a lot of you know, mystical painting and third eye and you know, the sort of explorative stuff, and obviously very much connected to LSD. It was run by a poet, you know, what would you expect and and uh, the leader, the art director of the the Oracle was a guy named Michael Bowen, who again came out of that mystical tradition. And I might add, just to throw in a curveball, that his his role model. Oh god, I'm forgetting his name, but is a man John somebody or other who lived in Mexico and whose brother in law was an important figure in the CIA. And they are all these what I regard is fairly daffy conspiracy theories that say that, you know, the whole of the sixties was just a function of you know, it was actually a CIA front. Now I think that's incorrect, And I don't think Jerry Garcia was running for anybody or any of those guys. The fact that the CIA had introduced LSD to America is a fact. But after that, frankly, I think they lost control. And you know, individuals did what individuals do. But at any rate, Bowen and others they had. On October sixth, nineteen sixty six, LSD became illegal in California, and the people at the Oracle, being profound, profoundly anti negativity, announced that they would instead of resisting, instead of protests, they would simply celebrate, celebrate the joy of the day. So on October sixth, nineteen sixty six, they got the Grateful Dead and I think the airplane to come down and play on flatbed trucks set up in the Panhandle. The panhandles, this long, thin extension of Golden Gate Park. It's like one block wide. It's between two big streets. But literally they threw electric cords over from a second floor apartment to the trees in the Panhandle to power you could do it then with simple you know, extension cords, the equipment and the bands played. It was called the Love Pageant Rally. And two thousand people showed up and had a wonderful time. So this germinated, and eventually the people at the Oracle and the others said, let's let's have a bigger celebration. Let's get you know, all the people that are connected with us, which included, among other things, all the people very political Berkeley people, and generally speaking historians say, oh, the Berkeleys are political, and the Hippies were a political and no connection. Well, no, the Berkeley smoke pod, the hippies were certainly not for the war. They may be a little less active, but the fact is that there's a great deal more shared than antagonistic book between them. Michael Rossman, who wrote a wonderful book called The Wedding Within the War and was very much part of the free speech movement, called the Hayte Ashbury our mark one ghetto. That it was that they were kindred and they decided to have a party and celebrate. Now, you know, nothing wrong with that. Day to day life in the hate was kind of a celebration. What they did not expect and what I don't think anybody could have, especially San Francisco Police Department, was that somewhere between thirty and fifty thousand people showed up, and you had the poets, the beat poets who were their mentors, read and then you had rock and roll and it was this marvelous day that celebrated nothing in particular except let's have a good time. One of the Berkeley politicos, a guy, the guy who produced Country Joe and the Fish, said that there was a great opportunity to rally the people and they blew it. And you know, most of the people that were there would say, nah, you know, I had a wonderful time, and you know, it was kind of a perfect day. But the problem, of course with the b N was can't conceal fifty thousand people. When I say that the police department ignored it, that's because the entire security. Think about this now, the entire security police security for this event. We're two mounted patrolmen horse patrolman looking, you know, down on thirty forty fifty thousand people. And the lady came up to them and said, officer, you have to help me. I've lost my child and you know, I don't know how to find them. And they and the cops said, lady, we can't go down there. They're smoking pot, go to the stage, ask them to make an announcement. They'll find you know, you'll find your child. It won't be a prog And of course that's the way it worked out. I might add that they then messed up their perfect record by arresting about one hundred kids when they were walking after the event and they're walking home down h Street, and they were started arrest people for obstructing traffic. But anyway, on the whole, you know, it came out of nowhere, and that's sort of proof about how much out of nowhere it came. But it was never going to be nowhere after that, because then you have a flood of media from all over the country descending on the hate. You know, what's going on here. And as I say, they basically just didn't have a clue as to what was underlying what was going on. All they saw was literally what they could see.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's at this point from the outside, you can tell us the real story that people start to come from all over the country in sixty seven is the summer of love. At this point, the I mean I'm living outside San Francisco, I mean the other coast. People were aware of something. I really didn't know what was going on until really the year after. So my point is was sixty seven flowers and fun and when did it start to go downhill? Overrun? With people coming?
Speaker 3: It started to go downhill, you know, by March or April, everybody in San Francisco again with the eruption of media coverage. The people in San Francisco, including the diggers, were aware that new people, more people would become, particularly after school got out, high school kids, college kids in other words, people with very little money and you know, very young and not a lot of emotional or occupational resources. The people that had been in the hate in sixty six were all, generally speaking, mostly in their twenties. They did something. They they found, you know, they they they, as I say, lived lived on the margins, but clearly knew how to you know, how to get by by the summer you had. And nobody knows how many could have been as many as one hundred thousand people came to San Francisco and they basically came in and they said, feed me, find me a place to sleep. They were you know, mostly dependent, I'm not you know, they were seekers and and and you know, bless them, but it flooded a very small neighborhood and pretty much destroyed almost immediately the so called good vibes, not so called they were there were very legitimately good vibes. But with this kind of overload, uh it. You know, the diggers. There was a wonderful institution called All Saints Church that and the neighborhood in general did their very best to take care of these newcomers. But it was, you know, it was dysfunctional. It was simply it was too many people and too much at once. So the reason, frankly, and I'll freely confess to cheating, which is the reason my book ends with the Monterey Pop Festival, is that this is the high point discounting the anxiety of the spring, the legend of the Summer of Love, which when they first asked me to do that photo, showice that you realize that the Summer of Love was in fact the fall of sixty six, because a that's when San Francisco has its best weather, and b you know, it was, as I say, low key and under the radar.
Speaker 2: The peak.
Speaker 3: The image that people have of the Summer of Love is sort of be a tific young pe people with flowers in their hair, listening to you know, fabulous music, tripping their socks off, and being as peaceful and benign as you could ever imagine. And at Monterey this was the truth. There were seven thousand seats in the arena at Monterey that could actually listen directly to the music, although you could hear it all around. There were probably twenty five thousand people hippies at Monterey, and nothing bad happened. I mean the police, I can't imagine what was going on Friday afternoon. This ran Friday, Satday, Sunday. And Bob Marinello, I think his name is Bob Marinello, the police chief of Monterey. I can't imagine what was going through his mind as the floods of people arrived. And if they had wanted to, you know, create trouble, they could have. I mean, you know, simply by numbers. I just got this most wonderful story just the other day, and now I'm trying to remember who it was that told me. She's an Asian woman and she was telling me about her mother who lived near the Monterey Fairgrounds and who you know, didn't know what was going on, knew nothing about the festival. All she knew was that on Friday there were a couple of hippies that were like sleeping on her lawn and she just sort of went, oh, you know, never mind, I'm not going to get involved with it. And on Saturday they were like several they were sleeping under her house, you know, they were all over the place, and she's basically calling her daughter saying, what the hell is going on, and her daughter's trying to explain it to her. And then on Sunday they already all these people sleeping on her lawn and vanished, and she went, oh, okay, well at least it was temper, no harm done. The fact is, and it's my my favorite picture in my book is the peacefulness of what happened in Monterey when it you know, it just could have been a disaster. Was There's a marvelous picture of a police officer. They the organizers had put orchids on the seats of all the seats in the arena, and uh, this this there's a picture of this police officer, motorcycle officer, stringing orchids on the that he had picked up on the aerial of his motorcycle, smiling, you know, it's just completely unbusy, and he's just fooling with flowers, which is you know, of course, the way we'd all like in a mass gathering for the police to you know, feel that there are no stress, no need to to come up with attitude. And that's you know, that sort of the magic of Monterey, and frankly, that's why I decided to end it, because everything after Monterey gets more complicated. As I say, the Hate stops being fun city and becomes among other things, the police department changed Hate Street into a one way street and put up crime lights these you know, really ugly yellow It looked like it looked like the outskirts of the Berlin Wall or something, and made it as unattractive as possible. And given you know, the thousands of people that were just sort of wandering around and didn't quite know where to go, you know, it became less than charming. So what happened really in many ways is that things simply dispersed. They went out into the country, California country, so that you have even more people up in the Humboldt down in Carmel and you know, all the way around, or they went back and you know took up in in on the East coast wherever, or the Midwest. My favorite example of all that. And one of the things that that you know is really I think really significant about what The important thing to remember about the hate is it had very I think it had very little impact politically. There was a certain it certainly benefited the anti war movement, but other than that, not so much politically. Culturally, however, endless elements of what happened in the hate are still part of our lives today. That's one of the reasons why what I tell these these high school kids that are interested is, you know, none of this has went away. The fact that the hated Ashbury sort of created and advertised the gentle male hippie, which was one of the archetypes I think, led to things like uptons and promote a promotion of gay liberation, which you know, the next decade you had the influx the created gay neighborhoods in San Francisco, and now we're dealing with with an administration that wants to deny the existence of trans people. You know, the wars go on part I mean organic food sam The experience of LSD led people in the hate to be very sensitive to things like like sugar and artificial food and things like you know, plastic clothing, polyestic clothing, that sort of thing. And you know, now organic food is a forty billion dollar a year industry. One of the people who was critical in all that was a guy named Roger Hilliard. Roger Hilliard was the was one of of the light show artists at the Avalon Ballroom with a guy named Ben bean Meter and eventually he and a guy named Hawken Stephen Hawkin. No, I'm thinking of the physicist Ah Paul hawk anyway, who later with Smith and Hawkin the fairly famous store chain of supplies. But in the seventies they went east and near Boston they created erewon E E R E W h O N, which was a major influence on the wholesaling as it were, organic food and such things all across America. And you know, now, uh, you know, one of the sources, one of the primary sources of organic food is the Midwest because they noticed the poisons, you know as much as we do, so uh, you know, and it goes on. I mean, there's my favorite example of all this actually, and again it's not overt there's a marvelous book that I recommend to everybody called What the Dormouse Said. What the Dormouse Said is a history of Silicon Valley and LSD. It's by a guy named John Markoff, who covered Silicon Valley for the New York Times for years and had, you know, did a really excellent book about the connection between LSD and the people who created the personal computer. Now there's a reason why Silicon Valley where the individual home computer happened in Silicon Valley rather than say, near Mit. And that's because there was a guy who created the Institute for not Advanced Studies. I'm mixing it up with somebody, but at any rate started distributing this is when it was still legal LSD to all these engineers in the Silicon Valley, and some of them were part of the Homebrew Computing Club, among them Steven Jobs and Steve Wasney, and they went on and again. This is clearly influenced by Ellis Date with Apple, and you know, there you have it. That's an essential part of American culture today. Obviously, now I'm not saying it. You know, it only exists because of the psychedelic connection, but it's influence.
Speaker 2: Okay, So in the spring of sixty seven you have Scott mckenz who the hit if You're Going to San Francisco, and the Jeffery Souperent Airplane breakthrough with their first album with Gray Slick, their second album, Somebody to Love to What do you believe that drove people to San Francisco?
Speaker 3: Not so much Summer Somebody Loved. I mean, it was a it was a song that brought people to pay attention to to the airplane. But the song that came out of the hate that brought everyone to the Summer of Love was White Rabbit. White Rabbit. To this day is this very very potent song. It's it's mysterious, it's inviting, it's seductive, and it's also misunderstood because, among other things, the the you know, the final chorus is feed your head, and uh, Grace Slick sincerely intended that as a way of you know, growing, not just stuffing drugs in your head, but learning and art, music and very you know whatever, but grow. And people heard that and it was the first message to you know, young people listening to the radio that was pure. That is to say, it wasn't modulated by the media. It was just what the air what the airplane thought, and it you know, it worked. McKenzie saw. I attended a lecture by Lou Adler. Okay, so what happened with Monterey where the roots of Monterey was in the fall of sixty six, there were a number of clubs, music clubs on the Sunset Strip where there was about a mile long strip of many clubs, and the kids thronged the clubs fair enough, and local business owners didn't you know. It created traffic jams. There's LA. Well that's a new thing in La, traffic jams. But anyway, they they have acted and in the fall of sixty six, Ronald Reagan, Conservative is elected governor. So the LAPD decides to kind of crack down on all this traffic and they start arresting people and these kids don't appreciate it and resist, not violently. Any violence was the cops, but they so they were called the Censet Strip riots. Well, you know, again, it's easy to call the riots. These were nineteen year olds sitting down on the street and getting arrested, and people in the rock scene, in particular the manager of the Birds and Derek Taylor, who was the publicist for the Birds, who had been the publicist for the Beatles that was kind of a charismatic figure in LA and others created a campaign, you know, to resid that, to resist the idea that these kids were causing riots. And they had a benefit in February, and then they decided to plan another benefit, a bigger show in Monterey in June. Louis, I mean they go, the organizers go to the sort of reigning king and queen of rock and roll in LA at that moment, rock and roll but music, John and Michelle Phillips of Mamas and the Pappas, who were tremendously popular, and they loved the idea, and they said, no, let's turn it into a benefit. The only person that was paid at Monterey was Robbie Shankark because they had signed his contract early and earliest and they had, you know, they acknowledged it. Otherwise, they bought out that people who had invested the early money and went to work and they created the festival. Now I had the pleasure of listening to or talk about all this and among other things, for what it's worth, he denied the idea that the Scott McKenzie song written by John Phillips was kind of an advertisement for Monterey Pop. It's the only time he spoke that I went, I don't, well, I just it's kind of too perfect an invitation a promo. You know, really, you know, really you didn't that didn't occur to you because you certainly engaged when that came out. They were engaged with the creation of Monterey Leave it, you know, leave that as it as it is. Certainly that song had that impact of attracting, you know, more people to San Francisco and in particular to the festival. So what happened was very quickly they they realize that what they're really doing, what they're really going to be doing at Monterey's celebrating psychedelic music. That's their their advertising is about, you know, bring bring bells, bring flowers, you know, be a hippie. And they run into a problem because, among other things, The Grateful the Grateful Dead and other bands from San Francisco are very very puristic and they wanted to be free, and it's like, well, you know, how do how do we pay for the stage? And long story short, this wonderful, weird thing happened, which was one of the they had a board which included people like Smokey Robinson and Paul Simon, and because of Derek Taylor, Paul McCartney McCartney. After they finished recording Uh Sergeant Pepper, he took a brief vacation, went to l A was hanging out with Derek and started telling them about this fantastic new music, new musician in London by the name of Amy Hendricks. So they go okay, and they already had thought about the who. And then there is this friction with the San Francisco bands, who are, as I say, are very puristic and very suspicious, just inherently suspicious of Lou Adler and John Phillips. And what happens is John gets Paul Simon, who is also on the board and who the hippies are a fond of because he had written a song called Feeling Groovy. I know this sounds maybe even a little ridiculous, but they trusted Paul because of that song. And Paul literally comes to San Francisco and talks with everybody and as as Rock Scully wrote in his memoir, and Paul convinced them that, you know, it was too good idea, an idea to pass up. Go So they went, and of course the airplane among others. The Grateful Dead had the wonderful experience of playing in between The Who their American debut virtually American debut, and Jimmy Hendrix's American debut, which means actually one of the critics said that some of the guitar playing in the Grateful Dead set was some of the best in the in the weekend, he for whatever reason did not really dig Hendricks. But of course, as I have written several times, who would remember, you know, between those two two sets, it was, you know, very minor. But what happened at Monterey was well a number of things. I listed four heroes, four or five heroes. The first hero was the audience, which, as I said, was overwhelming and yet you know all that you could ask from an audience. The second was Janis Joplin and Big Brother, Who's again was one of those purest. In the last little while before the event, John Adler had made a deal with d H. D a pennamaker who had done the just released Don't Look Back, which was the documentary about Dylan brilliant, brilliant movie, and asked him to shoot, well, you know that smells movies money, and the San Francisco bands were all saying, no, we won't be in the movie, and the grateful Dad never worked. The Airplane was managed by Bill Graham, who was a little smarter, and he said, be in the movie. So the air the Big Brother, which was managed by a guy named Julius Carpen who was an ex prankster and as purest as anybody else. They they do their set, they ripped the place apart. I mean, you know, Janie is just Jannish Dooplin, and nobody had heard of them outside of San Francisco at that point. They hadn't released an album, and it was just shocked to the a pleasant shock to the system. They come off the stage and Pennebaker is like begging them to be in the movie. And of course the cameras were down when they were when they did the set. So Albert Grossman, who's after all, Bob Dylan's manager Capital you know all Caps, says you know. They go to him and they say, you know, should we be in the movie, And Albert says, be in the movie. It'll do you good. And so they overrule their manager and they get a second set on Sunday, evening and rip up the place again and that's that's boom one uh and and it's a set boom too, and it's a you know, it's an enormous flash the airplane. And it's really interesting. Even even Grace Slick, who was among the more critical people on the planet and who rarely raved about her own performance or the band's performance, was just ecstatic that day. It just connected. It was magic. And so that's boom two three, boom four is And I might add that the number one song at the time of Monterey Pop was Aretha Franklin's Respect and standing in for Her and jam and all of the incredible black music of that period, whether it was motown or in this case Stacks. Vote is Otis read it again, a guy that most you know, not so many white people are so terribly afraid of, and otis redding Kills. And that's boom whatever it is. And finally the two final which is the Who which played on Sunday Night and the Dead which and then Jimmy Hendricks and there's a wonderful story about that that I found, which was that, yeah, the Gravel that were not the only people that played on LSD and Jimmy. Jimmy Hendricks was certainly a great fan. And he Ousley is there and he's passing out to these incredibly strong doses of LSD and Jimmy takes a handful. I mean the guy. The witness said at least three or four, I mean, you know, and he's like, he goes down. He's just crumpled in the corner. He looks like, you know, dirty laundry. And his time on stage comes and two crew members come up, pick him up, walk him out, and as he hits the stage, he turns into Jimmy Hendrix. You know, God only knows, and rips the place apart. As you know. It's just it's one of the more extraordinary introductions of a talent. This is his first significant show in America and it's the beginning of what was a all too short, you know, genius genius career. I might add that the mamas and the papas closed the show, and I don't know how many I've always wondered how many people stayed in their seats to wait for them after Jimmy, because you know, how do you follow that? You know, you can't. That's one of the reasons by the way that the who preceded them because Pete Townsend had seen Jimmy Hendrix in London and did not want to follow it, and so they flipped a coin and Pete won and said, no, we'll go first. We'll do fine. Now you do your thing.
Speaker 2: Okay. To what degree does an underground alternative universe still exist? Into what degree is it or not in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: When you're talking about today twenty twenty five. Yes, yeah, I don't know if there's an underground universe.
Speaker 2: There is.
Speaker 3: As I say, so many of the issues of the sixties that came into prominence in the sixties, there are issues that go way way back. Alternative viewpoints about America. Is it a universe? I don't know. It's a collection of ideas that many, many people hold on to. I mean, we have a putting it politely and extremely extremely conservative administration, and all the numbers say that it's not a universal viewpoint by any means. It acts like it's a universal viewpoint. It ignores alternative viewpoints, it represses alternative viewpoints, which is the shocking and Unamerican thing about it. But you know, most people don't think that, you know, all immigrants are evil and should be immediately evicted, etc. I could make a list, a long, long list, so as I say, other than for instance, dead heads, who are very real, very you know, quite a lot of them, and many of them, you know, we're not born when Jerry Garcia died. And yet I've talked with a lot of them, and they basically they get I mean, you know, they get what the Grateful deads stand for. They don't know much about the history of the Grateful Dead, but they definitely got to read my book. But they they absolutely grasp the notion of community, of peacefulness, of you know, standing against racism, and uh, you know it's it's it's not like it's gone at the moment. You know, the other side, if that's the way it is, is getting you know, has all the power and is getting a lot more pr but it's not, you know, it's not everybody.
Speaker 2: Okay, music drove the culture in this era. Let's just even say the whole decade was that a moment in time and many stars aligned. You know, how do you do it with radio? I don't want to go through a whole litany now. You say the ideas remain, Is it that we don't have the right music speaking to these ideas, or is it that was a moment. In that moment may or may not return, but it's not happening now.
Speaker 3: I'd say the latter that that that was, it was an extraordinary moment. You're absolutely right.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: You know, music became the convey the container for all those values, going back to rex Roth and Duncan, the values again of non violence and and just generally of of a freedom of thought and sensuality and so forth. And it connected with LSDA, connected with with rock and roll, connected with volume. There's something about LSD and volume that link. I'm I'm not a scientist, but uh. And as you say, music was the binding agent for my general our generation. That is this, you know, the mid late sixties and into the well into the seventies, and eventually, as all things must, it loses its juice. It became a little artificial what they called arena rock, which is, you know, among other things, not improvisational. It's it's it's showbiz theater, which for many, you know, was great, but it did not have quite the purity of the earlier efforts. And then there's a reaction to it and it's called punk and you know, not unreasonable and very anti virtuosic, among other things. And yes, I think that, among other things, in addition to being the container rock music galvanized all that stuff into sex, drugs and rock and roll that people really, you know, that that was a motivating force for a whole bunch of people, including me. Now I might add that because I was in the backwoods of Maine in high school, graduating in sixty seven, and then college in upstate New York, I missed all of it, which is apparently why I spent the last fifty years researching it, researching these stories, because you know, I wasn't there for the party. But you know, I do think that that the music did galvanize things, united people and whatever you say about current music. And I have you know, great respect for Taylor Sweat, for instance, it's not overtly at least certainly about an alternative culture, although she's certainly not worshiping it at the feet of the current current reality.
Speaker 2: Okay, so what's your favorite Grateful Dead album?
Speaker 3: Probably Live Dead.
Speaker 2: Which lead with the original Live Dead, the one before Working Man's Dead.
Speaker 3: Right exactly. The Live Dead was a you know, a live album. It's the first I believe sixteen track live albums, so it has you know, extraordinary sound and it's them at their most experimental and highly improvisational. I mean there are songs that go on for you know, thirty minutes with one minute of singing and twenty nine minutes of improvisation, and you know, that's sort of my my fave. There's a second album that they did that I really really love, and it's in part because it was the classic Grateful Dead, you know, weird. They finally took a year off and during their vacation in nineteen seventy five, they recorded this. They started recording this album very slow, you know, kind of just with They went into the studio with nothing. They just started seeing what was there and it's called Blues for Allah and some wonderful stuff there. And then, in classic Grateful Dead fashion, they had gotten into it. They had some marvelous material. And then their record company, which at the time was themselves, basically their record company guy comes to them and says, we have to have the album. In three weeks we signed a contract. Blah blah blah, which is a typical Grateful Dead business, you know, very bad business decision they made a lot of If they'd spent three more months, that album might be remembered very differently. But you know that's them, Okay.
Speaker 2: In the gatefold cover of Live Dead, it's the Grateful Dead playing in a street. What is the background in story of that photo.
Speaker 3: It's a marvelous photo. It's by Jim Marshall, who's the great photographer, one of the great photographers ever and certainly a great photographer of the San Francisco scene. It's on H Street and this is in the spring I want to say, of sixty if I recall correctly, of sixty eight. Actually so, it's a slightly old, a year old picture. And what happened was that in the fall of sixty seven, two horrible things happened. One was that briefly gray Lines, the tourist bus people created what they call the Hippie Hop, which was a bus tour of the hate, which is, you know, you can imagine being in the Grateful Dead, and way up to and on your left is a is the home of the Grateful Oh my god. In addition, in October, after the visitors of the summer sort of you know, slowed down the San Francisco Police Department raided a number of homes, one of which was the Bedful deads for pot in the city and the bust among other you know, persuaded the dead that maybe it was time to leave the hate. I might add that the two people that they the band member, they were arrested. Everybody that was in the house, which was mostly non band members. There were two people that were in the house that were band members. Didn't smoke pot, pig pan and bob wear, but leave it be. They also missed a kilo that was in the kitchen cabinet, but they did find one hundred dollars bill in somebody's desk, which amazingly was was not there the next day. And so, as I say, they decided, you know, may maybe it's time to go. And bit by bit the band members start going to Marin and you know, h no longer living communally, and you know, that's fine, but they wanted to say goodbye. So they plot and uh, the word goes out underground that they're going to play on such and such a date, and with the cooperation of a cop that knew them and that they liked, the city had blocked off the street because just generally it was going to be a block party, and suddenly from two different directions they pull in flatbed trucks loaded with their gear and start playing. And of course there's that marvelous picture of you know, people as far as the eye can see down h Street, the tops of every house that looked down, you know, the windows and whatnot, and it's it's it's a it's a celebration, and it's a goodbye and worked like a charm.
Speaker 2: And what is the personal best grateful dead show that you were actually at.
Speaker 3: I don't know about a whole show. You know, for me, the most enthralled and just mind blown at the virtuosity that I ever heard was a show I'm gonna be such a dead hit here on I want to say June thirtieth, nineteen seventy four, which was the wall of sound, which had something to do with it because it was listening to it was an extraordinary experience, even though I was inside. And they ended the first set with a forty five minute jam of playing in the band into Uncle John's band into playing in the band, and I just my jaw dropped almost I mean, you know, my jaw dropped a fair number of times. The first time I heard Dark Star, you know, blah blah blah, but this was just so sustained. It was just so they were so on top of it that, you know, yeah, go good, you know. And I haven't listened to it since, I don't think, but at any rate, I would recommend that anybody if you want to hear Grateful Dad at what I think, for what it's worth, is there some of their finest that would be the moment.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've been talking to Dennis McNally, whose new book is The Last Great Dream. He talks about the music in San Francisco, but the roots of music and hippie dumb and hate Ashbury. Dennis, I want to thank you so much for taking this time with my audience.
Speaker 3: My pleasure. I've been you know, I've been reading your your stuff for a very long time and enjoying it. Somebody asked me what your names first started getting around, and somebody says, have you been reading left sets? And I said, yeah, he's you know, he's pointing out that the record companies don't have a clue. Gee. We knew that, but you know, somebody said it.
Speaker 2: And on that note, we're needed for today till next time. This is Bob left sex