Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts, Barry Church, Danny McCrae, Heckma Harrison, and newly Scrugs.
Speaker 2: Here we are the Players Lounge.
Speaker 3: We are here this week. Okay, we are here this week. Took Memorial Day off. You took Memorial Day off, as you should have. But the crew is back here. Danny McCrae with the day off, all right. Barry Church is here in the house. Scrugs. We are here at the home of the Dallas Cowboys headquarters.
Speaker 2: Right here in.
Speaker 4: We made text.
Speaker 5: A lot of weather going on around here, a lot of playoffs going on around here.
Speaker 3: Last year around here yesterday MAVs game. So I had this question I wanted to hit hit Bury with because he's a former player. Heck and he his his his tax bracket is different than not.
Speaker 4: Hey, you ain't gonna tell me again.
Speaker 3: So I see Michael Parsons at the game yesterday, Diggs at the game, Barry.
Speaker 2: Cooper has been at the past two games.
Speaker 3: What are the ticket prices when you want to go to a game, like, what is the protocol? Do you have a person over there that the guy's got to me? How do guys get in on that?
Speaker 6: So current players were talking about Parsons and CD and Audo. I'm sure they got a guy because when I played, I had a guy to a you know, hey, what's going on? I need these tickets here. It didn't know getting hooked up, you know, for the most part about it. But sometimes you don't get hooked up. And when you're looking at them court side seas that I'm gonna run you about for the Western Conference final about ten of pop. Ten of pop. So I'm not sure if they're paying those prices because they might have got a guy that can't hook them up down there. But those court south seas, man, they get pretty pricey out there, man, they get real pricey. But nine times out of ten, they got a guy down there that's like, hey, come through, you know, we'll put you on the camera, blahlah blah blah blah, and they come through and get it done.
Speaker 3: Really so, so you could potentially get it for now, Yeah, you're good.
Speaker 5: Now we're talking about the upper echelon players like me. I always had to face there was no there was no dis somebody got they're gonna be able to walk up in there a nine times out of ten bands.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah, wow. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I went to game three and I was looking down there. No, no, no, I don't like basketball that much.
Speaker 7: My god.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was. It's real. It gets real, man.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you went to game three. Yeah, I went the game three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, me and nobody from the game.
Speaker 2: All right, so so so on something like that.
Speaker 3: You just called ticket guy, just say hey, look, I'm trying to get over here, and then you just kind of give a price to where you want.
Speaker 6: To where you want to go or what you're willing to wit your budget, and uh yeah, my budget.
Speaker 4: Was nowhere near that that.
Speaker 2: Of course I was about four rows back.
Speaker 4: But still meanwhile on the south side of town, I'm like, man, my.
Speaker 5: Nose is bleeding. These three people in front of me. You know, I would have to get past that. You know how you get that little step down to the court. You know, there's a there's a gap right there, and they still they still come and deliver your drinks and.
Speaker 6: You get to go down the little little you know how the players yeah, First of all, we don't know that church. You're gonna have to explain this to Yeah, you know you go down these steps like no, we don't.
Speaker 4: It's like we don't know where is that.
Speaker 2: You know, there's like a little steps.
Speaker 6: So you got court side, you know, two three rolls right here and there, just a little like one little step.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, So so I go to these games all the time. I haven't understand. So when you're coming in, do you what you're doing? Like that?
Speaker 2: Are you coming in from the bottom?
Speaker 4: There was the bathroom down here though.
Speaker 6: Okay, So like if I'm going to the bad so I'm right there, I'm not going all the way up the steps to you. I go down the little where the players.
Speaker 4: Come in a little right there.
Speaker 2: I go down the step and you can down yeah, yeah, down the bows there.
Speaker 4: Where do you park?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I park?
Speaker 6: So there's a you never heard of hardwood it's like a little hardwood bar and there's on top of it it's a little parking spot. I used residential shopping so they never Yeah, just parked up in there and walk bucks two blocks, three blocks. I ain't trying to pay sixty bucks the uber, but it's hard to get an uber, that's the thing. I'm like, man, it's hard to get it one after the game. So yeah, a little couple of whiles.
Speaker 2: Okay, So so I've seen I've seen Parsons there and did seen seen several guys there.
Speaker 4: I haven't Shock was there on game three.
Speaker 2: Well she's working and he's working. But yeah, yeah, Queen Latifoo was there, Kelsey was there.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of people out there for the past couple of games.
Speaker 2: Uh, holiday weekends, so people had that.
Speaker 4: But I did.
Speaker 3: I just did wonders, like say, for the Cowboy players that want to go. Remember Romo used to go Romo all the time. Romo went different ways. Now Romo went it's free agent Romo. Then he started to go as Tony Roman. Then the next thing he was like to make a wish kid and they let him.
Speaker 6: Got the playing on the plane, go go warm up on everything else. You know you upper echelon player. When you see those pictures and you see like the football players in like the the alleyway underneath the stadium, that's how you know. You okay, big time, you you seen it? Never have I've just seen pictures.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, yea very man.
Speaker 5: You out to stop man, let you die in the current. Never seen it, but he used the bathroom down there.
Speaker 4: It exists. That's what they told me while wait in the line.
Speaker 2: Road four.
Speaker 4: But you know that's awesome, man.
Speaker 2: It's good. It's good stuff. It's good stuff. So so Ceedee Lamb. I did not see cd Lamb there. Uh And obviously ced wants contract.
Speaker 3: So guys, uh amar, I'm a Saint Brown Detroit thirty million, a J Brown Philly thirty two million.
Speaker 2: So this is the ballpark of what it is for a receiver. I think we all on this show players, we all acknowledge he's gonna get he's getting thirty.
Speaker 4: At least at least start at least start at.
Speaker 2: Least thirty million.
Speaker 3: They're waiting and I was told by someone that Cede Lamb is actually just waiting to see what Georg Jefferson does.
Speaker 4: Thank you, go ahead, let's see what you got and.
Speaker 3: Then and then you play your cards from there. If I'm the Cowboys, I still don't understand. Whyn't you just go and maybe they have maybe they haven't.
Speaker 4: We don't know.
Speaker 2: Like, man, here you go to me.
Speaker 3: If I'm looking at Saint Saint Brown and Brown. Here you go, man, Let's let's get this thing done and move along here. So what are your thoughts right now?
Speaker 4: Happening like my thing is?
Speaker 5: And I'm glad you brought that up about Minnesota, because look, I'm not a conspiracy theorist at all I do. But before I make my take, I gotta say that I do feel as though there's a little bit of collusion going on in this situation because you're going to reset the market one way or another. And if I'm CD, no, I'm not anything until I find out exactly what's being paid at the top. And if you're Minnesota, you're on the other other side looking at the Cowboys the same way. Truth is, these two players are kind of linked at the hit because they came in the draft together and CD was drafted ahead of Justin Justin Jefferson. But who do you think to this point has had the better career to this point? Right now, I'm gonna say Justin Jefferson. OK I'm gonna say not a debate, okay, But if you're a CD, you're debating that because one you come into the league.
Speaker 4: Dak gets hurt.
Speaker 5: Whatever it is, DA's hurt, all of that quarterback Turmolda's hurt twice. Your numbers have been affected by it. But finally you get an opportunity to prove that you're the man, and everybody knows that you're that. All right, He is in a position right now to reset the market but also push himself over what Justin Jefferson could get. If I'm CD, I'm not looking at Justin Jefferson like everybody else saying like he should get paid more than me.
Speaker 4: I'm fighting to be that guy.
Speaker 5: Because if you're looking at if you're looking at CD like a like a stock, like I looked at all of these players, who has them more upside? Justin Jefferson right now doesn't have a quarterback. Okay, Ceedee Lamb. On the other hand, he does.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 5: Okay, So if I'm CD, I'm fighting for tooth and nail every penny I got because you're not about to say I'm one B to Justin Jefferson's one A. And that's just his perception how he perceives himself in this contract negotiation. We may not agree with that, but if you're CD Lamb, you're fighting tooth and nail to be the highest paid wide receiving the league.
Speaker 6: I got you on that one, and I'm with youing that. And if I'm cde Lamb, you said A J. Brown got thirty two.
Speaker 2: Now I'm not taking a penny less than thirty two, because.
Speaker 6: In my opinion, if I'm CD Lamb, I'm better than you know pretty much every receiver out here outside of justin Jefferson.
Speaker 2: We also know Philly, Philly, and their numbers are always interesting.
Speaker 3: Math in that book, So the math of man. Okay, well he's got to be go balloon and pay me. Every Philly does some interesting things things with numbers there. So so I feel you on that, but I and this is just my thing. Heck, I think they're really different in terms of how you how you go about the contract. I'll say this, I don't know if Minnesota get the deal. Don't Jefferson, Honestly no, I don't know that. I mean, I could see them saying, hey, man, for what you're looking for, we may not be able to make this thing happen. I could see it because it's gonna be way out there and their market and everything. Can they sustain paying them? We'll see we'll see as far as Cede Lamb goes. Ceedee Lamb has a couple of things I think you have to take into a fact, and I think it's gonna work. For the same thing with Dak Prescott being a Dallas cowboy, you're gonna be on TV more than anybody around here.
Speaker 2: You're in a place where there's no state taxes. We know Jerry pays top dollar.
Speaker 3: Okay, we know this, so so yes, they're all gonna look for top dollars because traditionally the cowboys have paid that number. You know, whether it's Traps, Frederick Zach Martin, Dak Prescott, Tank, Lawrence, Amari Cooper, Zeke, you go down the list, they have a reputation of paying it. I just think, truly, if you're a guy like Ceede Lamb, you you'll wait, you'll get a deal done. But you want to be in Texas. It's from Houston. Play at Oklahoma. This is where he's at. And the endorsement. There's things that you only get because you're here. If Dak Prescott leaves tomorrow, does seven eleven go with him? Does Tom Thumb go with him? I mean, some of these things are there. Cowboy based deals that if you go to Pittsburgh, you're not gonna it's not gonna necessarily travel with you.
Speaker 2: Maybe this sleep number bed does.
Speaker 3: But I just think for these guys, there's an other aspect that I think they have to look into that, But ultimately they're gonna get the bag because they always get the bag.
Speaker 2: From Jerry. He never tell me the last true guy who didn't get a bag, who didn't get.
Speaker 4: A good bad Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, but you're not saying taking the hometown discount though, who has Nobody really has?
Speaker 3: Nobody nobody has, Okay, especially if we're talking about an offensive weapon one of the best. Forget the defensive guys, you know, like Diggs. You tell me Cooper got paid.
Speaker 5: He tied the market, Zeke set the market, Dak set the market four years, what's sixty?
Speaker 2: I mean, Travis Frederick set the center market. Zach Martin, I mean Bryan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's tied it.
Speaker 3: The whole thing about the collusion of him and Damarius Thomas the same time that k was a five year, seventy five day boy got So I'm not really worried about that. For Lamb, you're going to get it in my opinion, just based based on what they've done.
Speaker 2: When have they not?
Speaker 5: No, And that's I mean, great point, But I don't think that today's players even acquiesced to that. What you're talking about being a Dallas cowboy, being in Texas, the taxes, all those things. You're a player, you're looking at the guys up ahead of you and saying, I don't want to be behind that guy. Like you said, Aj Brown, I'm not gonna get a penny less than what all right, And on top of that, I want to get paid more than that guy because now I'm at the table when when you play your you knew what every safety was making in the NFL, right so Ceedee Lamb is in that same He's in that same boat right now, and there's no way in hell he's gonna say, all right, well, I think justin Jefferson's best I'm I'm more of a weapon.
Speaker 4: I line up in the slot. Even though Jay jeeddis does the same thing.
Speaker 5: But from his touchdowns to his yard is to having a quarterback, dude, the future is brighter for him and he doesn't have to say, look, I want to be a cowboy because I want the Tom Thumb and all those disc you know, those those.
Speaker 4: Endorsement deals and all that.
Speaker 5: Even the same thing, even the same thing for Dak he didn't have to look sleep number don't go with me or Tom Thumb.
Speaker 4: He's generationally wealthy. He doesn't care about that. The bad the big bag.
Speaker 2: They're going to get the back. We know this because they always do. They always do.
Speaker 3: They can talk tough all they have, but when it comes to an offensive weapon.
Speaker 4: They've always you're talking about the front office, Yeah, they always.
Speaker 3: You know, Mike Lervan he got paid, George Gollaway got paid, Rocket got himself paid. I mean, you go down the list of weapons, offensive weapons. Jerry's paid the weapons and it got paid. I mean DeMarco Murray was the only guy who did not get paid. But I was sitting here and I'd always felt like DeMarco Murray had a great year, but he wasn't a great player, and he was always hurt. I never thought DeMarco was that guy. DeMarco left here. He never had a better year than he had, so that when they played correctly. But then we saw what they did with Zeke, who was a better player, they paid him, and so to me, when we talk about this, He's.
Speaker 2: Gonna get the bag.
Speaker 6: We know this.
Speaker 3: But I do believe Heckman, that part about you know where you're at, you know, like if push comes to shove, I still think Dak's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be here. I mean, look at Zeke came back. Why did he come back? Family? You like sitting here and I think the same thing. That's why I believe a deal will get done.
Speaker 3: Heckman, that is going to be Ultimately, you gonna get paid because you know you're getting paid. They don't not pay offensive weapons, so you're gonna get the bank. But I think those other factors in there to me weigh as well. And I don't know how close you guys are.
Speaker 5: I know you are, but just how many some of these players that you know when you leave and you talk to them and they talk about what they miss about the area, and they're more importantly their wives and family miss I.
Speaker 3: Think that's something that you take into account. Not that you're about to give no discounts because the ain't. None of them give no discount because Jerry pays them. I just think that matters in factors.
Speaker 5: The question for me is when when you look at the number of contracts that you have on the docket. You're gonna reset the market for sure. When it comes down to Ta Micah, it's going to be the highest paid defensive player. Then you have Treyvon Diggs on the other side. You have to run Bland's contract coming. You have a lot of contracts that Tyler Smith, he's also going to be in line for that as well. As we're talking about market setting contracts. Every We've said this before, everybody can't get paid, but everybody is getting paid.
Speaker 2: When when happened that when the go ahead? Travis Frederick Center Market said it.
Speaker 3: Zach markin Guard Market said it, Tyron took kind of a disc He took kind of a discount deal.
Speaker 4: But still, but somebody is somebody in this situation is going to have to.
Speaker 3: I mean I just when you say it, heck, I come in this. Who's not going to reset it? Who's not going to get paid? Because it's what they do, especially on an offensive standpoint, Jerry values.
Speaker 2: These offensive guys.
Speaker 3: Tell me the offensive guy outside of Tyron Smith, who didn't really get about get a record set and back.
Speaker 4: I believe the CD deserves it.
Speaker 5: I believe he earned it, and I believe that his where he's projected right now in his career, he can't do anything but go up. He's shown you he's a he's a weapon. He inside, you can move him outside. Mike McCarthy prove with the way that he put that offense together that he can feature CD. He obviously he needs more help the number two in three wide receiver position. But still Cede Lamb is a bona fide weapon. The money part of it. We wanted to take care of himself. But justin Jefferson and Ceedee Lamb are in the same boat together right now. Who gets the bigger bag is gonna come out in the next couple of weeks where it was first?
Speaker 4: Yeah, whoever was first?
Speaker 2: But he has a mancuff.
Speaker 6: Ceede Lamb has the cowboys handcuff right now because if you look at you know, his production without ceed Lamb, where is the passing of you know, production coming from first?
Speaker 2: It has to be done like it has to be done. He's getting he's getting paid. They're all they're all three are getting paid.
Speaker 5: You're just saying that no matter what the bag is gonna be, it's gonna be delivered to CD. And don't even worry about it this fifty year and the fifty year option is twenty million dollars.
Speaker 4: By the way, by the way, here's twenty mal.
Speaker 2: Dak, let's go, Dak. Prescott is the only question mark I have.
Speaker 3: Micah's getting his bag, ceedee, Lamb's getting his back Dak. And I say the question mark because it's just very weird because NFL teams normally don't do this to their quarterbacks.
Speaker 5: That's why I say it's weird. But the other two, they're going to get paid. They want to be there. Jerry wantson here.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: I had a good conversation with claireence Hill. So we're at the Gay three and he'd come from talking to Mark Cooper. You know, Claire, he said, I did ask him. He said he didn't call that the.
Speaker 4: Great article about that too much?
Speaker 3: Right, And he were talking before he was talking about I I'm gonna do it, and so he was talking about good. So when he said and he says, like, yeah, I said I had, I had asked, did you call the black Kirk black Kirk cousin?
Speaker 2: Like no, I didn't. I just started laughing with him.
Speaker 4: Like only you, only you, only you do that?
Speaker 2: Bring it up guy.
Speaker 3: He wrote it up and he said, and I didn't read the article, but he said, look, no, he says, I love Dak, said my career when I was coming from the Raiders, it was it was a point in the wrong way. He says, Dak got me paid, so he'll always have a place for me, and and and so he had a good conversation with him on that. But even he talked about it, kind of found it a little bit weird because I mean, think about it, justin Herbert, your guy down the charges man, they wrote that.
Speaker 4: Check like that. He ain't did nothing compared to what Dak's been.
Speaker 5: Doing, right, you know.
Speaker 3: And even though Lamar, look, Lamar is the only person that we recently kind of said, hey man, he had to work for the bag a little bit. That's the only guy. And you saw what happened there. But even with Dak had to work for it, he more than showed he was worth the contract here. So I just don't really understand it. But here's what I do know. Heck, Jerry wandered the desert after Troy and did not like not having a franchise quarterback. So I just believe they're going to keep that situation a lot. Trey Lance, I think is also a part of it, like, hey, look, you know what, we want to make sure we've got something for ourselves here. I'm not ready to believe he's wanting to say, go give me Trey Lance right now online three, let's do I don't think they're ready to do that.
Speaker 6: Man, they just sold you think they're gonna go this year with Lances the backup.
Speaker 2: We got to see what he does in OTAs, and we got to see what he does in camp poopo all Cooper, but Cooper, you know.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: She does.
Speaker 3: So Look, you could keep Cooper Rush on your roster as a three or a two. Either way, he's paid, so he's paid.
Speaker 4: He's here.
Speaker 3: Your your thought process is what do you do with Lance? And and how do you get something out of him? Be it for you or maybe even a trademark or something. I don't have a That's why I just don't have a problem with him like some people do, because you were if you didn't draft, if you didn't if you didn't use your fourth round pick like you did this year for him, you were going to need to draft somebody. You know, you're going to have to especially now that the man they get ready to eighteen games. We already see what they're doing now, struggling trying to get quarterback through seventeen.
Speaker 2: You better have some folks ready to go. I don't have a problem with trade Lance. He's still a young guy. I mean he younger than Michael Pennis.
Speaker 4: Yeah right now today.
Speaker 5: And I think that's why they've already come out and said he's going to get so many reps in the preseason because you gotta show everybody else what he still has in its tank, because everybody knows what Cooper Rush has. But I think it's also the San Francisco Pretty, It's the brock Pretty effect when it comes down to quarterbacks because he basically Shanahan's just showing you, look, I could take mister irrelevant, put him in an offense, in a system and make it work. And so many coaches offensive coordinated, it's just their ego saying I can make it work with anybody. You can be a game manager and still make it to the super Bowl.
Speaker 3: He's that good, you know, Kyle, consider here and say it and do it because he's that good. But I think along the way, as a head coach, you have to figure out what is it that I need. I think Mike McCarthy's done a fantastic job. Does get enough credit for figuring out what he needs in quarterbacks from what he was able to work with with far he was there when Aaron Rodgers came through. What he's been able to take that next level, I mean to me, I'm very pressed with Cooper Rush. I thank Cooper Rush was a guy who they threw out the door and he ended up a year with the Giants and people like ah, he comes back here works with McCarthy and he does. I'm really eager to see what he can do with Trey Lance. I want to see it because I think he's done a good job. So we know what Kyle shannons. I think Sean McVay is a guy when they he was there of Washington working with Kirk Cousins, when he went out there with Jared Goff and to the point in time where he said, you know what, I can't win a super Bowl with this guy.
Speaker 2: Go get me that guy. He got Stafford.
Speaker 3: They won a super Bowl. And I just think certain coaches know how they got an understanding. I think McVeigh has an understanding I think McCarthy has an understanding. I think Andy Reid truly has. This dude went to the playoffs well Feeley or whatever. I mean, this guy is really good. Man, hey Man, Donovan go away. I'm gonna go ahead, trade.
Speaker 2: You in the division. I'm still gonna go ahead and go kick. But he's really good.
Speaker 3: We've got some good coaches of quarterbacks who understand what it is he can. I think someone said, what is it that I need? And the good coaches know what they need here, and I think Mike McCarthy and I'm really eager to see what he can do to I don't think Trey Lance is as bad as people say, because that.
Speaker 2: Perfect And I'm gonna go I go back to Cooper Rush man.
Speaker 3: I mean, I remember when they brought in Cooper Rush from Central Michigan and you thought maybe there's a little something. In the first year he had a good and then and then it went downhill, and then they ended up cutting it and then they brought him back. I mean I was there that Thanksgiving day, man, no Halloween up there in Minnesota. The guy those are three hundred yards and got it done. And then when that got hurt, kept the ship to float. I mean, I'm looking at him like this is and this is not a slimmon, this is a bus driver and they're sitting up here getting production out of him that they know Mike McCarthy knew what.
Speaker 2: To do with him.
Speaker 3: I think Trey Lance is a more talented player based off the skills. We have to see it, but I am excited to see what I think he can do with Mike McCarthy. Am I ready to go put some betts on something like that? But based on what I've seen with Mike working with guys, I think he's really good at that.
Speaker 2: I think what we saw from Cooper Rush is good. Let's take a break.
Speaker 3: I want you guys to marinate on what I just said and c ready come ready to bullet holes in.
Speaker 2: Everything's right. It's written.
Speaker 6: On half.
Speaker 2: Heck by players live right here Dall Scott Radio.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now, Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wipball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip.
Speaker 9: Hi.
Speaker 5: I'm Danny McCrae, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants.
Speaker 4: To ask you, what's that sound.
Speaker 5: That's the sound of us magically transforming our Smoothie bows into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a cool Iie or Pataya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors, only at Smoothie King, the official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, t shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to.
Speaker 7: Be a boss.
Speaker 10: Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss at Hugo Boss dot com and at retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 7: There is no eye in Dallas. There is no eye in heart, either no eye in blue star or a lone star for that matter, and there's no eye in how about them? Cowboys smear enough knows there's no eye in football. Football is a wee thing and experience that it is best enjoyed together with good drinks and good folks.
Speaker 2: Home or away.
Speaker 7: We rally together, we cry together, and we always rally cry together because there's definitely no eye in Cowboys. Fans smear enough. We do game days. Please drink responsibly.
Speaker 4: To the players loude.
Speaker 5: The schedule is set and limited tickets for the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys season at at and T Stadium are available now. Don't miss your chance to see your Cowboys live at at and T Stadium when they host the NFC East rival bus e, Oos, Giants and Commanders, plus the Saints, Ravens, Lions, Texas, Bengals and Bucks. Visits Dallas Cowboys dot com, slash Tickets or seat geek dot com, the official primary ticketing partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Hat Marrison your players lounge. We are here at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 4: It's in there. Boot is in there right as we come down to do the broadcast.
Speaker 3: You see, they've got everything set up out here outside of the players that can get their work in here, the organized team activities. As famous linebacker Darren Hambrick once said, Chris, I don't know if you were there, And at that time I interviewed it when he said, what do voluntary mean?
Speaker 4: What voluntary?
Speaker 2: Because he even want to show up?
Speaker 4: Why I have to be here?
Speaker 2: You know it's volunteer. What do volunteer?
Speaker 4: Hambrick with the soundbites, man, that's don't get.
Speaker 3: Darren Hambrick was a great sound bite. His little brother not so much. But Darren Hambrick was a great sound bite. Man, What do voluntary be?
Speaker 4: You better beat it.
Speaker 6: If you ain't one of them CDs or the micas he better be in there.
Speaker 3: Okay, So all right, guys, I just did my Trey Lance thought process and go ahead, shoot the bullet holes.
Speaker 2: Go ahead you want me to do.
Speaker 6: Because you know, the question was, you know what makes you feel like Trey Lance you know, can be that that backup guy you said McCarthy because he you know, his his work with quarterbacks. And when you say, you know, Lance is more talented, I'm not so sure about that. I think he's more athletic than than a Cooper Rush in a dack. But you know what will Yeah, you know he's athletic, but you know, is he's he accurate with the football? Can he can he read the defenses out there? Can he go from you know, his first progression to the last progression? Is he you know, can he check the ball down?
Speaker 9: Like?
Speaker 6: These are all these things that I've yet to see from a Tree Lance. This is a guy who's played but fifteen games in college. You know, goes in North Dakota State. Nothing against them, but it's not like he was going against sec powers out here. So to me, you know, I still think there's a lot left open on the on the Trey Lance book. And is McCarthy the right guy to get him going and get that all that untapped potential he could be. You know, like you said, he worked with the forest, the Rogers, the Dacks of the world and he got them to the next level. So he could do that with Trey Lance. But to me, I just don't see it, and I don't see it coming to for Wish either. I don't see this guy going. If that going down, you know, guy, you know that doesn't happen. But if he does go down, I don't see Trey Lance going out there being four and one like a Cooper Rush was. And did Cooper have a great defense out there as well, Yes they were that year that you know, Cooper Rush stepped in and they were playing phenomenal defense, being able to get after the pass, rush return the ball, over all that great things. But I just don't see Trey Lance being able to be as productive in this system like a Cooper Rush.
Speaker 4: Was the echo.
Speaker 5: And I agree with everything that you just said, and it's Trey Lance to me, the anomaly of him and just the premature nature in which they traded for that guy. To me, I was like, why, you know, what's the reason when you already have a Cooper Rush a proven commodity, and nobody is harder on underwhelming quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: The new sprugs, okay, and so I was always on Cooper Rush.
Speaker 6: I was awful.
Speaker 5: I was like, yeah, I was because that was Gary, because you had Gary Gilbert. Okay, yeah, double g all right, And he had competition, which which made you question.
Speaker 4: Why they let him go Gary Gilbert go for Cooper Rush. And it showed.
Speaker 5: It showed in those games that you're just talking about. The Halloween game against the Vikings. You saw him when Dak went down with his with his thumb, with with his thumb, and he is a proven commodity.
Speaker 4: Why did we need Trey Lance?
Speaker 5: But to me, if the pick itself was for future picks, okay, I thought you were going to use that this year, all right, Because you did. It was a fifth or fourth or whatever it was that you used on him, you needed that, uh this year. Having this guy play and take those snaps in the preseason, okay. It makes him better and also shows that Mike McCarthy can develop these guys to be I'm not gonna say the farms and things, but what I am what I'm basically saying is, thus does Trede Lance have a future in the NFL.
Speaker 4: I just that's a great area.
Speaker 5: I don't I can't walk into that soundly and say that that's who he is because he also has been often hurt.
Speaker 3: So and I go back to the conversations I have with some folks who are part of the deal, is had they not gotten Trey Lance, they would have used a twenty twenty four pick on a quarterback. That's that's what they would have done to say, Okay, we have a question about you know, what are we doing with Dak Cooper's okay, but let's we want another guy.
Speaker 2: So they used a fourth on Trey Lance, who.
Speaker 3: They had a second round grade on, who they thought was a good player coming out of school. They liked the player, so they use a four on them. The problem, and what makes so many people upset, is that you see Mac Jones, former first round pick, Justin Fields form first round pick who basically went for sixes. But if you tried to get those players at the beginning of the year where they got Treyler, you would not have gotten them for a six.
Speaker 4: That's why it's premature.
Speaker 2: And see I and for me, I didn't have a problem with it. From the standpoint, I understood the logic.
Speaker 3: Heck of hey, we got a second round pick a guy that's we're just using as a lotto ticket. Let's see what we think we can do with him with our coaching staff in our system. If we hit the lotto ticket, great, If we don't, we don't, We'll take the opportunity. No, not to say it's the same, but what did the forty nine ers do with brock Perty That was a lot of ticket.
Speaker 2: It was a scratch boom.
Speaker 3: It worked, So maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I don't have a problem with rolling the dice on a quarterback. I remember Aaron Brooks being taken by the green Bay Packers. I watched Aaron Brooks with Virginia. I thought he was a nice player. Goes to green Bay, they developed, they move him on to the Saints, and then Mike McCarthy ended up working with Aaron Brooks, by the way, and won the first ever playoff game for the Saints. I believe Mike McCarthy can work with quarterbacks and make them better players. That's what I'm saying. I ain't sitting here to tell you, hey man, he got ready to go take that spot. No, no, could they make him a better player? Could we see them get something that Kyle Shanahan could not? And I think a part of the problem is people say, hey, man, Kyle could get no matter. This guy ain't no good. You go back and you listen to the people like Mike Lombardi and Chris Simson, They'll tell you that wasn't a dude that Shannahan even wanted. That it was Lynch and another guy who kind of pushed Trey Lance on him, that he was more of a Mac Jones kind of guy. And if it's one thing you don't want to do in football is push a player on a coach or a coach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the worst players are going dan on the right man.
Speaker 5: At what point, and going back to what Church was saying about Trey Lance playing only fifteen college games and things like that, just he came into the league already an unproven commodity, and maybe that was Shanahan's apprehension about him as a quarterback. The guys that we're talking about are guys that have had that has played and has that tape playing against you know, sec Vig. Well, if you've seen what they can do rock party. I was saying it was Big twelve. He was a bally played you know, he was that guy. And so look, my thing is with this whole Trey Lance development argument, whatever it is, I always thought that we needed other things. We spent that on that, all right, we always had, we had Cooper Rush there.
Speaker 4: I didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't understand it, and that's why I thought it was premature from that aspect. But still, if you're going to develop this guy and he's going to be your commodity, he's gonna be your second quarterback. Fine, If you're using him for trade bait in the future, I'm fine with that as well. But I'm I'm I'm right there with you when I say this guy hadn't done anything. I hadn't seen anything from so I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what he is, which is also why he was available. You know why he was available. And you don't look justin fields he showed you he played.
Speaker 3: A high look one of college, you know, one in college at the highest level, went to the playoffs, and the same thing with Mac Jones, and you know, this thing can go a lot of different ways.
Speaker 2: So I am just eager and ready to see exactly what it is that they can do?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: We gotta get another breaks, Jata.
Speaker 2: Get another break. Dak Prescott said he doesn't play for money.
Speaker 4: On man, do we believe it?
Speaker 2: Right here playing that? Thank to you on dask Cowboy dot Kyrie.
Speaker 10: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parsons to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bold, unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at NFL shop dot com, slash Hugo Boss at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your own Boss.
Speaker 9: Hi.
Speaker 5: I'm Danny mccraig. That was Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King and Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound. That's the sound of us magically transforming our smoothie bowls into two new dicking and flavors. Dig into a Coolie or Pataya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola Fresh strawberries and finished with the Melvity chocolate hazel nut drizzle. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want a munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors, only a Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Jack Black and right.
Speaker 8: Now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus Because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy wfball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys VIP.
Speaker 9: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapper.
Speaker 2: The press guy who looks right, it's not there. He escaped slaft.
Speaker 9: He'll look for a first down, just like football when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 8: R Scott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 9: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 9: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 4: To the Players Lounge.
Speaker 5: Join us for the third annual Dallas Cowboys Juneteenth Celebration presented by Miller Lyte. Head to Miller Lighthouse at at and T Stadium on Saturday, June fifteenth from three to seven pm to enjoy live entertainment and shop local black owned businesses. For more information on this free event, visit at and T dot com slash Juneteenth Listen.
Speaker 11: I don't play for money, never have never cared for it, to be honest with you, Yeah, would give it up just to just to play this game. So I uh yeah, So so I allow that to the business people to to uh say, say what it's worth. What they're supposed to give a quarterback of my play, A person of my play leader of my play, I guess you can say. And for me, it's about as I said, control. I can control and handle that part and the rest will take care of itself.
Speaker 3: That is Dak Prescott. He's up for a contract extension here. So Dak saying I don't play for money. He recently his last contract was a four ye hundred.
Speaker 2: And sixty million dollars.
Speaker 4: So all right, no, it's it's not.
Speaker 6: I've never heard anyone, you know say they, you know, don't play for Maybe maybe that's why you know, I wasn't considered one of the greats because I've treated.
Speaker 5: This league it's a job. Yeah, I'm gon go ahead, clock it and I'm a clock out. So maybe that's why I will never consider the greats. And they love the game and they'll play for free, but I don't believe that.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's only maybe one or two sports where people just play because they love it, and that's golf. You're gonna go out there, You're gonna golf. You ain't getting paid for it, but you're gonna go out there, and golf consistently with the NFL many people, it takes too much out of you for you not to get something back in return.
Speaker 4: So you know, I love this sentiment.
Speaker 2: He's gonna go out there, you know, say it in front of the cameras.
Speaker 6: But come on, man, it's about to be the one of the highest paid quarterbacks and not the highest paid quarterback in the National Football League. You're not going out there for the free ski. I'm sorry, You're just not gonna do it. The game is too tough. Get your money, big dog. Hey when you hit me, hit you with a yeah, I'm lying, I'm.
Speaker 4: Doing it for the ground and yeah no, even if subconscious was saying, boy, you better stop now.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing with Dak.
Speaker 5: It comes down to the way that he was treated in those years that they, you know, put the tag on him, he put the franchise.
Speaker 4: He had to fight for his contract.
Speaker 5: He's continuing to have to fight to just say that he belongs amongst the upper echelon of quarterbacks in the NFL. Everybody knows when it comes down to Dak the perception is great regular season quarterback, not very good in the playoffs. He has to get that up from over him, he really does. He has to get that off of him, and he has to take it further and even to an NFC championship or a super Bowl. But that's where he is, and so I think when you hear sentiments and him saying stuff like that, he kind of understands that, look, this is where I am in my career.
Speaker 4: He's a jacket.
Speaker 5: But in his ninth year as a player in the long jet, the ten year of quarterbacks, I mean just thinking of Tom Brady, this guy, here's a guy that could play for another meaning Dak Prescott could play for another five six years at a high level. Okay, so look, the money part of it is going to take care of himself. But I think for him just reaching that great status, it's just all going to be culminated with him actually winning a super Bowl.
Speaker 2: That's where he has to be idealism versus realism. Ideally, you want to.
Speaker 3: Come out and say what he said, which is that you play, you play because you love it. But we also understand this is a business. People like Jerry Jones and Shad Khan and the Maras getting rich. So you're not going to get later free. And if I'm going to get CTE out of this, I'm going to get paid too. But I think there's a way I think he said the idealistic thing of what you want to say, But realistically, we know this man, this is a business, and you should come in and get what you can while you can, because we know when they are done with you, they are going to throw you out.
Speaker 2: And that's that's business.
Speaker 5: And I'm okay with Has it been your reality as a journalist that you've heard players say stuff like that as they've gotten longer in their career versus when they were younger.
Speaker 4: I don't play for the money.
Speaker 3: I look at thatak and I think you just go back to the tremendous deal they had for him, you know, before he got his make deal. I mean, he was the man was making more money on endorsements than he was as a player. But you never saw him complaining I'm going.
Speaker 2: To be he didn't do that. He just went and did his deal. So I think we can take him at the face.
Speaker 3: Value because when he was the biggest bargain in the game, he didn't get out here and complain about He just went made his own money in other places. So I just think we know he's not a he's not a greedy man. But at the same time, you have an agent you're going to get what you can.
Speaker 2: While you can't.
Speaker 4: You best do that.
Speaker 2: If you don't, you're not smart. My goys, this is fun.
Speaker 4: This is fun.
Speaker 2: You forty five minutes a good time, man, Het Harrison Man, appreciate man, got at your money, get your entertainment. Are you not entertain you.
Speaker 7: Good?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: Twelvemies right there?
Speaker 4: Do you believe that?
Speaker 5: Yes? What a state, gentlemen, faith is when you believe in things that you cannot see. All right, we'll do it again Monday right here. That's why we're not out radio.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.