Speaker 1: Great to have you on man, really appreciate the time, love watching you pitch so far this year. We've enjoyed our combos in the past, so I want to get right into it with you. There was a quote you had the other day about the impact that Diamondbacks are making for you, and I feel like one of the top questions fans always want to know is like what makes this organization unique? And I felt like you really gave us something there. So I'm going to have you kind of rehash that if you can, because it has a lot to do with what we're seeing from this year. So let's get into it.
Speaker 2: What are they doing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I appreciate you guys having me again. It's it's always a pleasure. The Diamondbacks right out of the gate last year and in free agency were kind of along the same plan that I already had moving forward the Cubs and you know, tyler' zombro. It kind of giving me a pretty good roadmap to work on things in the offseason, and the Backs were very interested in continuing that. So I mean, really it was it was the ability to add a couple more pitches and and give hitters a different look.
Speaker 4: You know, we all like to throw hard. We all want to throw hard.
Speaker 3: But my gift typically being being able to spin the baseball. Having to add a couple more in that direction made a big difference, and you know, really just learn how to use all that stuff. So Jeremy, Blisch and Kaplan and Owen do all our entire pitching staff has really just been great at kind of honing in on what we wanted to do initially in spring training and then kind of building on that. So that's it's been a good process so far.
Speaker 5: All right, being able to spin the ball, can you elaborate a little bit more? And I think I have a follow up that you were playing during the era where my follow up might actually happen, but spinning the ball, can you talk about that and what that means for you in the process to be able to spin it differently, you talked about that a little bit and a little bit better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think again, we all find our talents in this game. We find what we're strong at. And for some reason, I've always just had a feel to be able to make the ball move, not really mattering what direction is, but typically move left for me. So obviously being superinated helps with that, you know, being able to kind of shape a curve ball in a multiple different directions and spin it quicker, I think has been big. I know there's there's a lot of people that look at spin rates and think maybe they don't add a whole ton it matters, you know, axis and spin efficiency and all that kind of stuff. We're kind of getting into the into the weeds a little bit, but really, I mean, you know, when you catch a guy that's able to spin it, because everything's just a little bit tighter, everything just breaks a little later. And really it was just leaning into that that gift.
Speaker 5: Right, how much easier would it have been and would it have sped up your process if you guys could still use spider tech for people who don't know, Spider Tack got banned and now you're talking about like really being able to spin it and you can naturally do it. If that was still in the game, would it have increased this like maturation of the way you spin the ball, or would it have maybe inhibited it because of the fact that some guys feel like he gave them some injury risk too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I honestly so, I missed that whole I missed that whole thing. I got hurt in twenty Obviously, you know people have tried stick your stuff in the past, but I missed the whole spider tack stuff.
Speaker 4: I've never I've never touched it.
Speaker 3: I've I've heard, you know, guys that experimented with the off seasons and whatnot. But I know it definitely added a whole bunch of RPMs, definitely made some some things a little sharper. But yeah, I would say, you know, not having to grip the ball as tight definitely is a key to be able to spin the base in my opinion. I know, somebody like Nolan McLain says he grips, grips everything he's got on the baseball, and and you know, that's how he spins it. And he's probably the best spinner of the baseball in our game at this point. But for me, it's always been about just being loose and whippy with it. And again just learning exactly how that works best for me has been has been big over the last really year and a half.
Speaker 6: You talk about like a loosening grip. The guy I think of Pedro Martinez with his circle change, it felt like it would just sit kind of on top of his you know, the fingertips a little bit. Is that kind of how you throw that? Are you trying to grip that change up really tight so you can get you know, even more bite to it. Is that part of your repertoire.
Speaker 3: Yeah, No, I got to be super loose with that one too. As soon as I was tightened up with that one, I throw it. You know, it's a long dart. I throw it straight into the ground, you know. And that's where, again, the shape doesn't necessarily matter as much if I can stay loose with it and turn that corner with the wrist.
Speaker 4: I think that's the biggest thing.
Speaker 3: Is I get to the front of the baseball and it doesn't really matter if it's moving more left or north to south, or I throw through it a little bit. The hitter still sees that whip and still sees fastball in my opinion, and they just don't pick up that late break. So again, it's just it's learning all these things. And to be able to do that has been nice. To be able to stay healthy the last couple of years and just keep throwing and just keep getting better at those things.
Speaker 6: I love that. It's like it seems like you're learning more about yourself. Fewer home runs, fewer walks, and for you, you don't have to divulge because you kind of hit most of it. But is it to the fact that you're having more movement on every single one of your pitches or is there something else to it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of it goes into count leverage too, And obviously if you have better stuff that you can throw over the plate, it's easier to make sure that you're not, you know, getting in those cripple counts. That was a big thing that we were chasing swing and miss early in counts and getting a swing and miss one one oh, and then all of a sudden, you've thrown the guy five six pitches and he's got a good chance to do some damage because he's he's now seen everything. So that was part of adding a couples to give guys a different look. But really it's it's just been, you know, getting better at the things that are simple, Like I said, count leverage, getting ahead, staying ahead, keeping hitters guessing, and our rotation in general has put a lot of importance on that and our pitching staff has drilled that into us for sure.
Speaker 5: I quit playing in twenty twenty. Twenty nineteen was your coming out party and it was Sorocus sinker. Now it's one of your least used pitches. So when I asked this question, I'm asking it from the fact that when I saw you pitch in the big leagues, like when I was had a uniform and it was like, okay, all sinkers. Now your you've completely changed your repertoire through injuries all that stuff. For everybody doesn't know and you seem like you watch and look at other people's pitches.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, everybody that goes out there, if we've got stuff, I want to I want to know not only what it's doing on the board, on the track man per se, but I want to know what hitters are seeing too. So actually I'll hit inside and watch guys hit off traject if I can, just to give it get a slight idea. I think the perceived action is even more important than what's kind of going out on the numbers.
Speaker 4: If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yes, So then that brings my next question.
Speaker 5: Take your foremost used pitches right now, and who in the game would you say, Okay, I want my four steamer to look like that because that is my favorite four seamer. I want my slurve to I want my sweeper to look like that, My cutter will look like this. Name your favorite pitches to look at that. You're like, wow, I'd love to see his edgatronic grip or even if it's like somebody that's not playing right now, You're like, I would love to have seen how this guy through it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, honestly, for as far as fastball, and I think it's it's kind of coming out and people are starting to see a little more. Is Ryan Nelson's fastball every time he takes the mound. I mean, it's it's a fastball that he can kind of just keep throwing. It's pretty incredible. It's it's a super higher rise, upper nineties heater. That one gets fun every single time. And it's again it's it's one where hitters will swing and miss at multiple times, which is such a rare thing in baseball nowadays. Obviously, you know, talk about pure cutter again, you talk about perceived action. I still think there's nobody better than Rivera. You made a career off locating that one. Pitch, and you know, be interesting to see the data on that one too, because I'm not sure it would necessarily wow people metrically. I think it's just a pitch that hitters just didn't see what was about to happen with that pitch. So I think that's an interesting part to our game that I think we're not quite completely understanding of. You know, we talked about angles again, the Cubs were kind of one of the one of the teams to bring that to me, is was perceived movement based on angles. So you got those ones. And then for breaking balls, yeah, I don't know. I like to see the outliers. We just saw Roup in San Francisco. It's an outlier breaking ball. It's it's another breaking ball that moves in both directions.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: Obviously watching Nolan McLain.
Speaker 3: At the beginning of the year in New York when the wind was swirling, their stuff was going everywhere. So again, those are all fun to watch, but those would be the two I think that I think River's cutter I would love to see today. I would love to see that because I think a lot of people would maybe change their mind on chasing just pure raw total movement, if that makes sense.
Speaker 6: True, true, So I'm going to give you a fan question here. This is from m Jr. Asking who the best second basement in baseball is. I'm curious what your answer would be that I think I have a feeling what you're going to say, But talk to me about your guy over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, obviously, I got to see Ozzy Ozzie playing in Atlanta for a long time, but seeing some of the some of the things that Ka Tell Marte does on a daily basis, is pretty wild.
Speaker 4: We knew he was he was going to catch fire here.
Speaker 3: I think I saw a stat the other day that he had like twenty five balls hit over one hundred miles an hour go for outs this year, and we knew it was about to happen. But again, it's pretty silly to look at a second basement and see that stature and see what he can do and how fast he can.
Speaker 4: Move his hands and that barrel.
Speaker 3: So yeah, obviously I'm partial now, but he's definitely the most impressive I think I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: All Right, did you see the whole pitch tipping slash being relayed from the dugout with the Cardinals and Brewers Series.
Speaker 3: I didn't get the whole thing. I got the gist, Yeah, I didn't get the lowdown. I didn't hear from anybody on either of those teams.
Speaker 2: Though you have.
Speaker 5: Any crazy pitch tipping through your time of trying to figure out why somebody is getting hitting you or where like somebody came up to you, you have any cool pitch tipping stories.
Speaker 3: I was for a period of time at the beginning of twenty four my hands were kind of coming up too high on fastballs that were coming up higher.
Speaker 4: There's always some interesting ones. I guess.
Speaker 3: The only one that gets me a little bit is Josh Naylor last year.
Speaker 4: And I know Josh.
Speaker 3: I've played with Josh on the junior national team when we were sixteen seventeen with team in.
Speaker 4: Canada, and last year he got me again.
Speaker 3: He's so far had my number in the big leagues and got me last year when we were in Arizona, and after the game it just kind of said, look like, I don't even know that you were tipping. I could just see something different in your delivery on off speed and I don't know if I necessarily bought it, but it did feel like literally everything I threw him.
Speaker 4: He was on like he knew it.
Speaker 3: And you know, there's little things that you'll see all the time. You'll just see some swings on pitches that typically don't get hit or get hit hard. You always got to be careful about it. But again, we've got a pretty good team over here in Arizona to make sure that they're staying on, that they're watching us like a hawk, as if they're trying to pick us. And yeah, it's it's it's a tough thing because all of a sudden, it makes it makes pitching much much, much harder than it needs to be.
Speaker 2: Does that get in your head at all?
Speaker 5: Because we I used to play with Chase Suttley, and Chase Sutley would run to the mound when we didn't have mound visit issues and he put his hand overs, he put his glove over his mouth, be like, hey, you're tipping, and then he'd go run back to second base and I was like like, at.
Speaker 2: Least tell like what what what was he doing?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 5: Does that make you? Does that make you a worse pitcher? Even if you don't know what the tip is? Like it's like telling somebody, hey, you run weird? And then every time you run you're like, what is it and what am I doing wrong?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think if you especially if you don't know what it is, you almost gotta change something in that moment. It definitely can make you second guess things sometimes, you know. I think again, you gotta be careful with sometimes just realizing that maybe they just put a good, good swing on the ball, maybe you're not tipping. You know, they're pretty good too. There is sometimes where hitters go through a lineup and everybody just gets good swings off or they happen to guess right, So you gotta be careful not spiraling down. But yeah, I think if you didn't know what you were doing and somebody told you were tipping, I think you'd be better off just trying to change your entire your entire setup at that point.
Speaker 5: Do you have any connection with Corbyn Burns as he's rehabbing here or has he kind of been? I mean the facility is still in Arizona. Is he hanging around with you guys?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's been around a ton. He's been at Chase a good bit. When we're at home. He stayed and watched a lot of games. I didn't realize until until I met him, how how into doing his homework and his scouting reports he is personally.
Speaker 4: So I've been kind of asking him questions here.
Speaker 3: And there about what he looks for and how he determines, you know, which guys he's gonna mix in. Essentially, is his sinker too, which is more like my cutter? I guess I would say, because obviously his cutter is his thing, and that's you know, ninety seven mile hour cut bowling balls. But on the other end, he needs to mix in the other one to try and you know, drive hitters off, and that's kind of what I've added my cutter for. So I think, you know, having him around has been invaluable and I'm really looking forward to seeing him get back in the rotation and let a rip. I know he's been itching and get back and he's tired of throwing bullpens, so it'll be a lot of fun.
Speaker 5: Have you heard him say anything, Because the reason I asked is obviously he's a possible a So you guys can add into your rotation here coming down to stretch for the season. But when I listen to you, I don't know you at all. Other than from being on the show, I hear a lot of similarities. Is there anything that he says to you that resonates where you're like, oh, Okay, I can go out and do this, or is there anything that you've been able to say, Hey, you know what, I went through two years of this and it was able to bring him up because you guys seem like you have the same, like very methodical vari Maybe it's just the hair, Maybe it's just the hair and beard that makes it the same. But have you guys been able to connect on those two ends of it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: I think the one similarity to a doocye is is, you know, having to kind of make your own way a little bit in so far as what you want to do as a pitcher. I know, he decided he was going to lean into the fact that he basically couldn't make the ball ride like everybody was trying to do in you know, in nineteen twenty twenty one, everybody was trying to get the rise ball going, and he eventually just kind of said, screw it, I'm going to lean into what I'm good at and that's it, and I'm going to be stubborn with it and then all of a sudden, it wasn't probably one year later and he was, you know, competing for a SII, And Yeah, I think there is that similarity a little bit when you get to a point where you figure out that your path is your own and you're going to make it that He went through that and got to do all of those things that come with it, and got to learn and got to keep pitching, and it's actually very similar to kind of what I saw Max Freed do in Atlanta. So these guys have gotten to the point where they know exactly what they want to look for and they know exactly how they want to compete. Again, it's time that I missed being on the IL and trying to learn from these guys' experiences is going to help expedite the path that I want to be onto. So I'm going to use every bit of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been cool. We're talking earlier about how the team's getting Corbyn back and then Ajpuck and Justin Martinez slated to return for the bullpen this season. There's some reinforcements that are going to help a team that already looks good. So it's been fun. We always enjoy the combo. Thanks Michael, really appreciate the time. Keep doing your thing. It's been a fun watch and we'll catch up with.
Speaker 4: You all right, guys, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: Here's a tweet from Tim Kelly Sports. The Phillies are going to be done playing the Cubs, the Giants, and the Padres before ever playing the Mets. That makes zero sense. So we were just picking on the Phillies for this. But Todd, we always get complaints. Hey, my team's not playing this team until this time. It's not all going to be perfect. Could it be better?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: My thing that I have the bigger issue with is when two teams don't play each other for a long period of time, or even have a season series that ends so early, and you'd like to see a division rivalry with the top two teams play each other. I have more of a problem with that, I think right now. I mean, I guess it doesn't really matter because the Giants aren't good this year, but I don't think the Giants and Dodgers play each other again until like September, mid September. I just like a little bit of balance with the divisions. I care a little less about the very beginning of the season, more about the middle and the end for the division to match up when the standings get paid more closely at attention to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think Cubs, Giants, and Padres they're all really good teams, so down the stretch, Listen, the Phillies might have a little easier schedule, so that might help them too. Yeah, I don't understand that. I think you'd want to play those teams in the beginning, a little bit in the middle, and then a lot at the end. But it's a tough job to figure all that out. But again, Phillies, I think the Phillies would have the upper hand here knowing that they haven't played. They're not going to be playing these really good teams down the stretch.
Speaker 1: Right, and then they will get the Mets depending on what happens. This is the other big factor Krantz is if you get teams post trade deadline and they strip parts, sometimes those teams are not that good.