Speaker 1: Hey, you know where you are. It's Bills by the Numbers, where we let the stats tell you where the Bills are at. Coming up are their positions that can be ruled out for the Bills in round one? What positional needs of the Bills best line up with where they're picking in this year's draft, and we'll have our one burning question. Let's get this thing, Roland, we're on the clock now. You made a wise decision to be here. Welcome to Bills by the Numbers. He Bills Wall of Famous Teams tasker. I'm Bills play by playman Chris Brown. And with the draft closing in, it's time to examine exactly what the Bills we'll be looking at when they're on the clock at twenty six in round one, and what could be options later in the draft where value might match positional needs. So we start with round one. We're more often than not gim Brandon Beans gravitated to the premium positions of the six drafts he has overseen in which he has made a first round pick. His first pick has been at a premium position sixty six percent of the time, those being quarterback, pass rusher, wide receiver, left tackle, or cornerback. Even in the two years when he did not have a first round pick, his first pick was at a premium position at pass rusher and receiver, respectively. So in a draft class that is lacking blue chip talent but is considered strongest at edge, rusher, linebacker, interior O line, and wide receiver, how likely do you believe it is Steve Tasker that being leans toward a premium position if he sticks and picks at twenty six.
Speaker 2: I still think it's a little bit of a coin flip. I was gonna say absolutely, no way he doesn't do that. I think he's gonna pick an edge or one of those premium positions. But the problem is, I think this is a defensively focused draft, and while you could go edge, you're probably not gonna go corner. And that means there's also gonna be a chance to get an even better quality player at one of the positions that is not premium, say a stand up linebacker or safety. So I think it's more of a I think it's more in doubt that he does pick one of those premium positions maybe than it has been in other drafts because of the fact whenever you're picking twenty fifth or lower. You don't know how it's gonna fall in front of you. There are so many permutations of who's going to be left and who you like. I think it's more doubtful this year, although I think it's still the most probable pick. He's gonna pick an edge rusher, he's gonna pick maybe he'll pick a corner, but I think more likely a safety or a stand up linebacker, safety being the least likely. I don't think it's a give that he takes wide receiver off the board, except except for the DJ More trade. I think that makes that less likely. I don't think he's going to take an into your offensive lineman, no matter how good that guy might be, when they fall to the twenty sixth spot, I think it's either going to be an edge guy or a stand up linebacker. So take your so depending on who's left, I think you're getting maybe one of the best stand up guys edge. You might be getting the fifth guy you like at that position. That's the question.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would throw in a third option there because I think edge rusher and line off the ball linebacker are two very viable options at twenty six and I would put receiver there as well. I kind of see off the ball linebacker as their pivot choice because I think edge rusher and wide receiver a premium position, and that's what you want to land in round one. Make it worth it with a position of importance, and for the most part, Brandon Bean has done that in most of his drafts that he has overseen. For the Bills. Here's the issue that could come into play, touching on Steve's point about all the different things that can happen in front of you when you're picking all the way down at twenty six. Just in overlooking the teams that pick in front of the Bills in round one, thirteen of them have edge rusher as one of their top three needs, and two or three of those teams have two picks before the Bills even make one, And so you wonder what's going to be left right for them to pick from at edge rusher, and is it worth the value at twenty six. There's a chance it may not be, and I think that's when the team could pivot and pick another position, whether it's receiver, although in the last past few years we've seen a run on receivers right around eighteen to twenty four, and the Bills don't really have a lot of draft capital to move up and jump in on that party this year. We know they've made slight moves up the board in recent years. So yeah, it's hard to pin it down, but you know, I think that's probably what we're looking at. And that was going to be my next question. We've kind of covered that. Would you rule anything out at twenty six position wise? That I mean obviously you got I mean there are obvious ones like quarterback. You mentioned, interior O line. I think that's off the table, especially after they signed two veteran offensive linemen and free agency about a month out from the draft. I you know, Hart Lloyd Cushionberry and Austin Corbett, two players who could start on a lot of teams.
Speaker 2: I have a hard time getting my mind around and picking another corner after me Harrison.
Speaker 1: Came out just last year.
Speaker 2: Right to me, that doesn't and they got Christian Benford who just signed an extension. Maybe a depth corner, but they you know, de Alford is a guy who comes in and brings something to the table. I think they've got high hopes for Hancock being a more versatile athlete and being able to play a role. I think they're feeling good about it now. That doesn't mean they won't pick one later, but I don't think they're gonna do that at the top of the draft. So yeah, there's a lot of positions that are off the table. Wide receivers not for me. I think it's less likely because of the DJ more trade I do. I think edge is there is their greatest desire, but like you said, there's just there's just not gonna be The cover's gonna be pretty bare by the time they get there, and the Bills don't have any collateral to move up right.
Speaker 1: And then I think defensive tackles another possibility.
Speaker 2: There's we don't know if they like it guy that much.
Speaker 1: And that's you know, that's the great unknown.
Speaker 2: Because I don't think there's a guy in this draft that's like got people falling all over themselves waiting to pick him. Now, you can make a case, you know, you can make case for Kaden MacDonald and Lee Hunter and Dante Corleone, Dominique Corns, the Big Citrus. All of those guys are out there, but they have you know, draft, you know, people aren't busting down the door to pick those guys they think they're going to be available later in the draft, let alone at twenty six.
Speaker 1: Even if the Bills don't like what falls to them at twenty six, do you feel the chances are stronger they move away from a premium position with whatever pick they have by trading out and moving to a new location, presumably in round two because of because of Bean's last seven second round picks that he has made, only three have been at premium positions, or forty three percent. So we're we're making the argument here, ah value doesn't look good at twenty six, Let's get out. Let's get three Day two picks and move down to round two where maybe it's less likely they select a premium position.
Speaker 2: I think if you're picking anywhere past twenty five in an NFL draft and any given year, the best possible scenario is to trade out you got. I mean, the first rounders don't last to twenty five. You're taking a second rounder as a first rounder most of the time you might get. You might There might be a guy that slips through the cracks and and your program that he drops into out of the thirty two gives him the best chance and the guy hits it out of the park. All at Christian Benford as a sixth rounder. You know one of those guys who you find is like, wow, how did you how this guy last? Nobody sees it. The best case scenario if you're picking twenty five or worse, in my opinion, is always to trade out because you get an extra two and there's always by to two and presumably an extra three or in a three. I mean that's it's always the best case scenario. The problem is nobody says, yes, you can't find somebody who thinks opposite of you. Where No, this guy's the first round? Are work, jump in there and take him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean once in a while we saw with Lamar Jackson, the Baltimore Ravens saw him as an elite athlete, thought if they went all in on his skill set on their roster offensively, they could win a lot of games and be a great team. And they were. So they trade back into the back the last pick of the first round to get the extra year of option year for him, and it worked for them.
Speaker 1: Other teams have done that and other teams not. In this draft, well, I mean, I think there's.
Speaker 2: No quarterbacks in this draft, well, well outside the top one or two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mendoza is gonna go first overall. This much we know, there's a debate as to whether Tyer Simson is the second quarterback out of Alabama. The Nussmeyer kid at LSU is getting more and more love, although I don't think it's first round love. But you know, if there's a team that wants cost certainty on a quarterback they like enough to take it the end of round one, perhaps it's ty Simpson. Maybe you can convince a team to come up to twenty six to do that, and you slide into the top portions of round two, you know, and then at that point in time Steve and I have discussed this on the daily show One Bills Live. You know, Lie, off the ball linebacker could become a more enhanced probability there because it's deemed that that's where the run will start on off the ball linebackers in the top half of round two. Knowing the best value in this year's class is deemed to be between rounds two and four, and that positions like linebackers, safety, and nose tackle, in addition to the premium positions, have decent depth through the middle rounds. How improved are the chances that the Bills can line up a positional need with value in rounds three, four, or five where they have hit on play in the past.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's a distinct possibility they could do that. They could do that because there are so many teams that once you get out of that first round and you've used that pick on a need or the best player available, there are still some tradcy guys. I say tracy because they're you know, big, strong, fast guys. Tracy guys available out there at multiple positions. So that's why in the second and third round, the pressure's off, you know, in a way of speaking. Yeah, I've said this on The Daily Show a bunch. The difference between getting picked thirty second in the NFL Draft and thirty third is vast. First rounder follows you for the rest of your life and your career, and there are expectations tied to it that that inflame the brain of most rookies. There's that's something they got to deal with and it affects their production in their first year and their first trip around the calendar. This time this year, I had a chance to speak to Max Harriston this morning. Different guy. He's been around the block. It's like, oh, I come back. Oh I was out, and he goes, I was out in California training for a month. He has been great. I'm just there's so much more confidence and going on with this guy. So yeah, I'm all about the fact that you can line it up and get more production out of a second rounder who the pressure is off and the guy's free and easy and the expectations are realistic than you can't a first round or so. And that goes all the way through second, third, and fourth rounds because downing even into the fourth round, you can get some traitsy guys who have who can turn the corner for you. You get him under pro coaching. And this is obviously two where you get Division two guys sneaking into the draft. Other you know, from lower levels of college football, who all of a sudden get into a program that's elevated and they thrive. We've seen that here over the years. Yeah, and it happens. So I'm all about getting value lined up with need in the second, third, fourth round.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't think Bills fans should panic whether they hold on to their pick in round one, and you know it's not a receiver, Like, don't panic because in rounds three, four, and five, there are receiver prospects that could line up right where the Bills pick and match the value. I think defensive tackle is another position that could line up well with the Bills picks in rounds three or rounds four, and even some cornerbacks and safeties. I think there's little pockets of clusters of players at those positions that could line up well in rounds three, four, and five. And you know, as we've said, the Bills have done very well in those middle rounds in finding players. So let's elaborate on that, because in rounds three through five, in beans eight drafts, he has found at least one player that started as a rookie eight times. So, knowing the Bills have four picks in rounds three through five, is there a position that appeals to you in that range where you'd feel good about them pulling out a starter.
Speaker 2: Well, it's hard to project. Once you take the lid off the fingercuot needs. It's hard to project any rookie walking into the offensive team room of this team and saying I'm getting plugged in day one.
Speaker 1: It's probably on defense, right, like gotta be you.
Speaker 2: You could see it at linebacker that we saw it with Milano, We saw it with Terrell Bernard, saw it with Taron Johnson.
Speaker 1: Took a year for Bernard, but yes, right, but because he had Edmunds in front of right.
Speaker 2: So Christian Benford, We've seen it in the past happen on the defensive side, so yeah, I could see it on the you know where else it could happen if they get a nose tackle Ala Dion Walker coming in and all of a sudden, you've got a guy who's big and nasty inside, and all of a sudden, you know what, he put him out there and an added level of possibility. And this is a new coaching staff that says, you know what, we're gonna play to get him out there. Yep, throw him out there. That the last coaching staff of McDermott, it seemed as though they were very reticent to trust young players. And although there are a number of exceptions to that, it was hard for a young player to come in no matter where he was drafted, and just get on the field because of his status. That used to be commonplace decades ago, when back when old guys like me played, if you got drafted high, you were on the field no matter what. Yep, that's not the case anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's defense, and you have to look at where the Bills don't have an entrenched, proven commodity. And so with that in mind, I think you can say one of the inside linebacker positions, which right now, I think Terrell Bernard is probably going to be a starter in this system. He's been a defensive captain the last two years. He has experience in college playing in a three to four system at inside backer, so logic would tell you he probably has one of those starting inside jobs. Doestorian Williams have the other one locked down with a new coaching staff on defense? I don't think so. So you draft somebody there in the middle rounds at off ball linebacker, they got a legitimate shot to challenge for a starting job. I think the same can be said for nose tackle, as Steve pointed out, because yes, Deon Walker had a great rookie season last year, He's one of those middle round picks that ended up being a starter right out of the shoot. But is he is he an ideal fit for the nose tackle spot at six foot seven and is known to play a little high leverage wise, I don't know. You get a stone cold run stuffing plugger who's a tree stump that you can play on first and second down. That guy might challenge for a starting role. Oh yeah, And I'll go this far. Even at corner, where Maxwell Harriston never locked down the starting job because of injury, he could get pushed. And I'll take it one step further at the cornerback position. In this draft, where it's particularly strong is at the nickel position. You get a quality nickel corner. Arren Johnson didn't here anymore. Alfred's competing with that guy. That kid comes in and impresses. There's another spot where you could envision the possibility of a rookie middle round pick coming in and winning a starting job right off the bat.
Speaker 2: And even so too that there may be guys that you're looking at that all right, how's that Oliver going to fit in here? Bradley, chubb Land and Jackson, all these guys. It is a new defense as well. And some of these young guys, it levels the playing field when they come in the door.
Speaker 1: Because everybody's got a clean slate more than ever. Right, there's no past performance to weigh into the equation for this coaching staff because the system's new.
Speaker 2: The system is new, and how fast you pick it up, to the extent that you pick it up and it transfers onto the field is going to have a lot to do with who gets on the field, whether you're a brand new, undrafted rookie, free agent or ten year vet who just got in the door. The new system will also add an opportunity for guys to get on the field.
Speaker 1: We flip it over to the numbers game now, where we see how well Steve does with Bills draft.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Let's do it here. Question number one. How many defensive linemen have the Bills selected in the last two draft classes?
Speaker 2: What is the total?
Speaker 1: Two? What's the total? Give me the total number defensive lineman the Bills have selected in the last two draft classes. Come on, I give you some. You nailed it.
Speaker 2: It's exactly five three last year two, the year before TJ.
Speaker 1: Sanders and uh LANDA Jackson.
Speaker 2: Dwaine Carter and two years ago was Dwayne Carter. And who's the other one?
Speaker 1: Wait, I'll be impressed. If you can name all five.
Speaker 2: Was Landon Jackson, Dion Walker, TJ. Sanders, that's the three last year, Dayne Carter right, and.
Speaker 1: One more it's Javan salam Oh.
Speaker 2: I should have gotten John Javon's my guy.
Speaker 1: I know I was. I was gonna say your guy, but that would have been a giveaway. I stink. But you got the question. I had it question number two.
Speaker 2: After Kon's come on getting get the bell for getting that right?
Speaker 1: There? You go?
Speaker 2: You have did he hand?
Speaker 1: Oh? You got it? I gotta have turn it up, okay. After Keon Coleman with pick thirty three in the twenty twenty four draft, what is the highest number selection the Bills have used on a receiver in the Bean Draft era, which is twenty eighteen to twenty twenty five. He did not do the twenty seventeen Dave Davis, you have the player correct.
Speaker 2: This was fourth round. I don't know what the number is. Fourth rounder.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was pick one, twenty eight. That is the highest pick used on a receiver after the Keon Coleman pick. Wow in the Bean Draft era. Zay Jones was the thirty seventh pick in twenty seventeen, but that was not a draft that was run by Bean That was just a guilely draft.
Speaker 2: Ay Jones put together a nice little career. Is he still still playing? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Still playing? It was in Arizona last Yeah. Question number three, how many members of the Bill's twenty twenty draft class are still on Buffalo's roster at this moment?
Speaker 2: Aj left. I don't know if I can name who it was.
Speaker 1: I say one, Your answer is correct again, Steve, you are three for three. You want to take a stab at who that player is?
Speaker 2: Ah, let me see. I'm gonna go out a lem and say there, it's been a minute. I'm gonna say, that's not Spencer.
Speaker 1: It is not Spencer Brown. It's Tyler Bass.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, is wow.
Speaker 1: The only guy from the twenty twenty draft class still on the roster. Turnover is a vicious thing here in the NFL Man Question four, what two schools are tied for the most players drafted by the Bills in the Bean era? These two schools are tied for having the most players drafted by the Bills in the Bean era twenty eighteen to twenty twenty five. Give me the two schools.
Speaker 2: Pit.
Speaker 1: It is not Pitt yeah, well, you're quick with the buzzer. They have seen four players each from their schools drafted by the Bills twenty eighteen. What are those two schools? Ohio State is not Ohio State. I think there's been one player drafted from Ohio State, Hancock. Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Uh. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm gonna give them to you. And and this is difficult because they've been there have been some later round picks. They the players, and I'll tell you the school Okay. I'll start with the obscure Voshon Joseph Okay, Justin Shorter, Kyrie Elam and Osiris Torrance, Florida, Florida is one of them. Here's the other. Georgia Nope, Luke Tanudah, oh my god, Wyatt Teller Wisconsin Nope, Dorian Strong Louisville and Tremaine Edmonds.
Speaker 2: Were Tremaine Counts.
Speaker 1: Virginia Tech. Oh my gosh, so Florida and Virginia Tech with four piece. Man, you were on a highway sky rocket in question four man that was came crashing to earth with a thundering splat.
Speaker 2: Leak and fuel and exploding.
Speaker 1: All right, good job there in the numbers game overall, we turn now to our one burning question. Do the Bills ultimately stand tech with their first and third round picks or do they trade out of round one and get a second and extra third to cash in more on Day two of the draft? Where would you peg the odds on that.
Speaker 2: Happened twenty to eighty against against? Yeah? Wow, Because they're not gonna find any takers, you gotta have. The Bills would love to do it. I don't get me wrong. That's what they should do. They should get out around one, get an extra two, get an extra three, and go to town. They're not gonna be able to do it because nobody's gonna want There's not gonna be a player at twenty six anybody wants it one in a.
Speaker 1: First round, you don't think there'll be a buyer there.
Speaker 2: So they're gonna have to pick now. I'm not saying they're not gonna get it twenty eight. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna say they're not gonna get a good player or even a guy that could plug in and start giving whatever position. But I think they're just not gonna find any takers. It's the move that's the move move out around one. Like I said, my philosophy, if you're twenty five or worse, maybe even twenty or worse in some draft classes, get out. But you can't find anybody to do it. That's the problem, because everybody feels they're like I.
Speaker 1: Would only put the percentage slightly higher. I think there's a thirty five sixty five chance that the Bills get out around one and find a suitor interested in coming up to pick twenty six. Obviously, if ty Simpson's still there, perhaps that enhances the chances. It was funny, Steven, I were looking at the top of round two, and among the teams we thought that could be interested would be the Jets. But do they swing a deal with a division with a division opponent. It's been done before, but it's not terribly common.
Speaker 2: Arizona is a possibility at thirty four if they see a guy at quarterback Tennessee, if they need a guy, but.
Speaker 1: They don't need a guy that they drafted one first.
Speaker 2: Overall, right, they're not gonna there's I don't think there'll be a quarterback that will move the needle that much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you have to look at other premium positions. Is there a team, think about it.
Speaker 2: If desperate, if Ty Simpson or if Ty Simpson or nuss Meyer is still on the board at twenty five or twenty six, I don't know that. You don't wait till the second round and hope you hit on the guy. If you hit on the guy and you needed him for a third year, fourth year, that's the least of your problems. Yeah, find the guy, and if you can get him for less, take your first round pick, use it on something else, and then get the guy in the second round. If you've got the guy at that position, nobody cares where you drafted him, and the chances are he's not gonna be the guy anyway.
Speaker 1: We'll see how it all plays out in the very near future. Our closing figure looks at the twenty sixth overall pick. In the last fifteen NFL drafts. The most popular position taken with that selection was a pass rusher, be it a defensive end with his hand down or an edge rusher with his hand off the ground. It happened six times in the last fifteen drafts, or forty percent of the time. The pass rushers were James Pierce last year, Jermaine Johnson, Montez Sweat, Tac McKinley, Whitney Merciless, and Datne Jones. The next most popular position was wide receiver, happening three times in the last fifteen drafts at pick twenty six. Those players Calvin Ridley, Breshad Perryman, and Jonathan Baldwin. The last time the Bills had the twenty sixth overall pick was the two thousand and six NFL Draft, where the Bills took defensive tackle John mccrgo.
Speaker 2: But let me just remind you. Outside of the John McCargo, the other guy they got in that draft was Kyle Williams, right first.
Speaker 1: Pick in the fifth round.
Speaker 2: The piose guys are out there.
Speaker 1: Bills had two first round picks that year. The guy they're still out there, number eight was Dante Whitner.
Speaker 2: Dante could play.
Speaker 1: That'll do it for this edition. Make sure you hit subscribe on whatever podcast platform you use, or watch us on the Bills YouTube channel, because when you need to know about the Bills, you need to check Bills by the Numbers for Steve task Around, Chris Brown, Thanks for listening. We'll catch you next time.
Speaker 2: Everybody