Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: You.
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I I'm all in podcast. This is going to be part two of The Collins the season six wrap up, Q and A, Carol and High. How are you doing? You're what part of us? Are you in Melbourne?
Speaker 2: No, I'm in Adelaide? Okay?
Speaker 3: And what time is it? Is it tomorrow?
Speaker 2: It's tomorrow, it's ten am.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, gosh, it's three thirty pm in Californias.
Speaker 3: I just I'm so bad. But it makes me think of Dumb.
Speaker 1: And Dummer Friday Friday morning.
Speaker 3: Do you guys know? You know in Dumb and Dummer and he's like, put on all the shrimp on the mom.
Speaker 2: Say that.
Speaker 3: I Oh, that's why it's so dumb and that and dumber.
Speaker 1: It's so great.
Speaker 2: It's a good good movie, good movie.
Speaker 4: Oh everything.
Speaker 1: Are you a big fan? You're a big Gilmour.
Speaker 2: Fan of course? Of course.
Speaker 1: How many times have you seen the show?
Speaker 5: I probably watched it once a year from maybe sixteen years old and I'm thirty five now, so however many times that is?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: When did it first? Have you? Obviously you're born and raised in Australia. When did you first get it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: When did Australia get it?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 5: I think I think i'd heard about it and it sounded like my kind of thing, and I bought the fourth season, so I think I actually started with the fourth season and then went back.
Speaker 2: DVD. Yes, oh wow, that.
Speaker 3: Would be weird to start in season four.
Speaker 2: It's a good season, so it was fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh my god, but what if you think of Susan's sucks?
Speaker 2: It has some really excellent bits.
Speaker 5: I don't love everything, but it's still really good quality television. And that last episode with I think is that the last episode with all the troubadours?
Speaker 2: And yep, that's so good.
Speaker 5: It's so fun, really good cameos from some amazing musicians.
Speaker 2: So I had a good time with that one.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 3: But how did you feel about the ending when she goes to Christopher?
Speaker 2: I mean, not great. Don't feel great about that one. I think that was a choice.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about Christopher? I'm still trying to find one human being that does not dislike it.
Speaker 1: It's not You're the only one, Amy, You're the only one.
Speaker 5: I'm so sorry, Amy, look, I think I think he's an interesting character to a degree.
Speaker 1: That's being generous, very generous.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to be nice to Amy.
Speaker 2: I don't love I don't love Christopher.
Speaker 3: No, what's your take on why she runs back to him?
Speaker 2: That kind of ties into my question a little bit to me, what is your question? Okay? I wrote it down because I'm really forgetful.
Speaker 5: So so in terms of loot character development as well as character consistency, do you feel like season six has too much conflict for the sake of conflict?
Speaker 1: Yes, I do. I do. That's an excellent question, and it's a it's a really good observation, and I think it it becomes you know, I I if there's gosh. I don't want to sound like I'm being critical, but here it goes. I think it's really important for from a writing perspective, to a character emanates, I'm sorry, plot emanates from character. That's the best kind of writing. But when things start getting plotty, then that, yes, that's a criticism, and that means you're imposing on these characters behaviors that are out of character to fit into a plot. And that's I think what your question encapsulates I think that's that's the concern. So, yeah, you framed it beautifully, yes, so I agree, I agree. I think it got ploty.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I just think that as well. Luke and Lareli has been set up from the beginning. There's been a lot of foreshadowing in earlier seasons. Luke loves Lauraai so so much and has fought so hard to get where they are that I.
Speaker 2: Just don't believe that he wouldn't fight harder for her. That's just my take.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's out of character.
Speaker 3: That's a good take. I do agree with that, which is kind of been one of my points.
Speaker 1: Right And I think we've tried to justify this, and I personally have tried to justify it to defend him, but there really is no defense for it other than things got imposed on the character that drive him farther away from his character than he would normally act what has already been established in what kind of a solid person he is.
Speaker 3: I also think Laureli could have given him more time, more grace. As I've said, more just chill or lie chill. A little bit of that is how I feel like, just chill. He's been through this major thing he loves you. He's repeatedly really made that clear in his Luke way. I don't know. It's not a popular take, but it's mine.
Speaker 1: But it is television. It's not film, right, it is television. You need to have events, you need to have, you know, story points. You need to hit them hard to keep an audience engaged, especially when a show is in declining ratings like season six. It was right, and I think it peaked in four and five, and then it started coming down a little bit in six, so I think that was a concern. So yeah, it's just writing for television has got to be a nightmare. It's got to be so hard to keep it real and keep these care characters resembling themselves. But sometimes you've got to make some tough choices and to retain an audience. I guess, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It happens.
Speaker 5: I think in a lot of really good TV shows towards the later seasons where they maybe just don't get the balance quite right. So there's maybe a little bit too much conflict, maybe not enough comedy or something to offset that conflict, which I think in the earlier seasons is done so well.
Speaker 1: So here's what happens what television shows experience that are ramping up the first couple of years and becoming successful. What happens is there are so many shows that each network is producing on a yearly basis, that ones that usually they're seeing flagging ratings right away for most of them, so they kill those off. They don't put a lot of assets or time into those. They know those aren't going to make it. They can just see the numbers and say, well, this is just not We're not going to invest in this further. But the ones that do hit the view and far between, and Gilmour's in that category, that's when the studio steps in and starts imposing notes on the creatives. And that's when the problems begin, and that's where the disagreements begin, and that's when you notice it on the TV show because the creatives are like, no, we're not going to impose this on these characters. These characters wouldn't say this, they wouldn't act this way. But when a network or a studio feels they've got to hit on their hands, then they start getting very hands on with the notes and the impositions and the plot points, and it's got to go in this diriction. So so it's an ephema to the creative process, but they're paying for it, and it's their money invested in this. So either do it or we're going to fire you, or you know, you're going to have problems with us going forward. And a lot of creatives just sort of like, gosh, you know, we don't want to we don't want to make it hard for ourselves, and how do we do this? And they try to figure out a way to do it. Sometimes they do it very successfully, sometimes you don't. So yeah, it's just a nature of the beasts.
Speaker 2: That's all absolutely just a nature of it.
Speaker 5: Just it must be really difficult for people on the creative end. This is something they really really care about. It's something they pour a lot into. I imagine it must be really hard to have. So so I like to I'd like to do a little caveat. I'm not trying to be overly critical either, because I know there's a lot of moving parts and when people make something that they put a lot into it, it must be really hard to have that overhead kind of interfering with your vision.
Speaker 1: So at the ground level on set, when you see a script come in in a last minute rewrite and you look at it and you go, oh god, this and then you go to the writer, you go to the creators and you go, guys, what's going on here? Where are these notes coming from? Well, it's a network, and it's like, uh huh, of course it is. Well I'm not going to say this, and I'm not going to say this, and I'm not because I you know, I don't tell them how to do their job and they can't tell me how to do mine. Yeah, but they're But the thing is is they're driving the bus, they're paying for it, they're promoting it, and somehow it's got to be pulled off and there are a lot of compromises that are made.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to you have to play the game.
Speaker 6: This brings them.
Speaker 3: Not always, this brings up my question. Bring this brings up my question, And Suzanne, I'd love for you to jump in. You know how, there's the theory I think you mentioned it that that Palladino's sort of intentionally through for lack of a better word, part of season six.
Speaker 4: MM.
Speaker 3: I don't believe that because as like someone who produces shows, right and Scott, you can weigh in and Carolyn, I want to hear your take too. If this is your baby and it's so important to you, even though you can't work out your contract, I can't imagine ever intentionally doing bad work for something that has my name on it, even if I'm not coming back. I just can't imagine doing that. I just can't imagine they would do that. That's just my sort of thought question for you guys.
Speaker 4: I think it kind of ties back to the question is there drama just for the sake of drama or was it necessary to drive the story? And you know, I don't know. Like I've said before, I don't I've never met Amy and Dan, I don't know them. I'm I'm not saying for sure that that's what happened. I it. It just wouldn't surprise me. I mean, I I get that it must have been incredibly difficult for them to take what they had created and nurtured and built and then just turn it over to somebody else like that must have been incredibly difficult. So I can't even, you know, say that I know how that feels, all right.
Speaker 1: Let me let me let me let me give you an analogy here. Imagine Picasso meeting with and he used to meet with people used to give him a couple of minutes, and he'd say, this one's five million, this one's ten million, this one's fifteen million. You got two minutes to design. Can you imagine one of these people saying, well, I really like this one, but can you maybe put a little more daba red over there right right? Because my thing, my wife would really like it. I'm paying for it, so you better do it, pal.
Speaker 3: And I bet you somebody did say that to Picasso, because somebody says that to everybody.
Speaker 1: And do you know what Picasso's probably said, get the f out of my studio. And Amy and Dan are Picassos of the television writing world, and they were back then, and they took great pride in creating these characters, and they took great pride in crafting these shows. And for somebody to come in and a not give them a two year deal, which is really really unusual, it's really contentious. It means the relationship was bad. I mean, the question is is can you see them, you know, reckon one of their own paintings at the end as a few to the studio.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean It's like, these are human beings, these are these are highly gifted creative people who fight for their choices, you know, because you know, real artists fight for their choices.
Speaker 3: I think if they had the vision to know, and maybe they did at that point because of the DVDs that the show was really going to have.
Speaker 1: A but if, but they know, you know, like we gotta play ball. What if they you know, the process is like we gotta play ball. You know, we want to tell other stories, We have other ideas in the future, and we gotta you know, we gotta part. It has to be a good parting, a peaceful party, you know, there can't be bad blood. So maybe we just did. I mean, who knows why people do these things.
Speaker 4: I mean, it doesn't It doesn't really matter in the end what motivation was, because we're as viewers, but we're.
Speaker 1: Talking, we're exploring all the possibilities of it. No, I agree, it doesn't really matter. But you know, I'm a person who fights for my choices on set. Yeah, And the reason I fight for my choices is because I trust myself implicitly. I know myself as an actor. I know what I can act, I know what I can't possibly act. I know what is actable. I know what is going to make me look like a bad actor, and that is my butt up there on screen, and that's forever.
Speaker 3: So there's a there aren't any times to compromise your art.
Speaker 1: So that's that's the challenge for artists, quote unquote artists working in a medium that thrives on compromise. Yeah, it's difficult, it's difficult.
Speaker 3: Well, Carolyn, you know, you started quite a conversation.
Speaker 5: I'll just add one point and then I'll I'll let you guys got.
Speaker 1: It's great being on your podcast. I love it.
Speaker 3: Give it to us, Carolyn, give it to us.
Speaker 5: Scared, I think, no, no, not at all. Not scary, given all of that context together, I think it's also entirely possible that if you know, you thought you had two years, but now you've got one year, and you had all of these directions for all of these wonderful characters.
Speaker 2: I wonder if that's why.
Speaker 5: It feels a bit too plotty, And that's why it feels a bit too stacked, because they wanted to do all of these things and they had a very limited time to do them. So I just wonder if that's another reason why it could be.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess we'll never know unless we get the Great Lady and the great Man on the show to pound them pound away.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we actually need it. We have not asked them yet, and we should.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should, we should do it.
Speaker 3: Carolyn, enjoy a whole different day than we're in.
Speaker 2: It's very hot here, so it.
Speaker 3: Is there.
Speaker 2: It's going to be close to forty degrees today.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, forty degrees.
Speaker 1: That's like in the nineties. No, that's nineties. That's like ninety five.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh that's hot. Still stand in doorstors on the bobby. Yeah. Put another log on the fire there, Carolyn.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I don't know anything.
Speaker 1: Day warm.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Thank you thanks for calling in. We had a blast.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Be well.
Speaker 2: Bye guys, bye.
Speaker 3: Hi, hi hi. You're stuck with us only for a second. Scott's coming back. But Linda, where are you?
Speaker 6: I live in South Georgia, Valdosta.
Speaker 3: Whoa, that's the town Valta.
Speaker 6: That's the towns It's about ten minutes north of Florida.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, okay cool.
Speaker 6: It's Moody Air Force Base And how.
Speaker 3: Far from Atlanta about four.
Speaker 6: Hours all right, Oh cool, four hours with four hours south. We lived in Atlanta for thirty something years ago. Way, yes, and then my daughter went off and got married and had a child, so we had to move close.
Speaker 3: I so get it. That's awesome. So is that your first brand baby?
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there's this grandma's need to be right by those babies.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, yes, he's nine, so it doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: You'll be there until least twenty five.
Speaker 2: Who cares.
Speaker 6: I will be there until I take my last breath.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 3: It's so sweet. So Scott is going to come back, but it makes before he does. I'd love to hear your question about Christopher, as I am the only person who possibly likes Christopher it seems at all. And I'm not saying I love him and he's you know, I want her to marry him, but I'm just saying I don't hate him.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't hate Christopher either. And my take is I think Laura Lai uses Christopher as her safe space.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think you're very accurate with that. He is her. We sort of talked about it earlier, like when you go through something tough. You immediately go to to that person that's like always going to be there for you, and you know they're going to be there, and you know they sort of worship you, right, and you don't love them as much exactly.
Speaker 6: And Christopher love him or hate him, he wants Laura I all the time anytime.
Speaker 3: See I agree. Now, Suzanne, you have a different take on that, right, Like I agree that I think he loves her and wants to be with.
Speaker 6: Her, oh one hundred percent. But I also think that Laurrela I doesn't deny it. I mean they've been together their entire lives. They are the only two people besides their parents that have known them their entire lives. So where does she go for safety and security? We already know she had a tumultuous relationship being Yes, I agree he's selfless. He is selfish and arrogant because he knows he can get Laura I. Because she's never going to say no when there is any tie of chaos going on around her with whomever, who does she run to? She runs to Christopher.
Speaker 3: You know you you just said something there Linda too that really made me think she can't say no to him, because even after they have the worst blow up in the history of blow ups. She still is like, I'll take Gigi, I'll take care of it. What do you need? Let me come over to your house when your father passed away. She can't. She can't, she can't get rid of him.
Speaker 6: She has not been wanted to right. She does not have the ability to say no to him. And that's proven because they've had sex multiple times, and multiple times she could have said no.
Speaker 3: I totally called that out too, that I know people don't like him, but she does. She likes him.
Speaker 6: I'm not a now, I'm not a Christopher fan. I'm a Luke. I've been I've watched the show hundreds of times, and I'm per Luke. My thing is she uses Christopher as her one and only safe space where I or another woman. I would never go to my ex if I had a problem with my mine now, I would go to a girlfriend, right, I would go to a girlfriend. I would never go to an ex. Where does she go to the one person she feels absolutely the safest with because she knows when she's with him nothing can happen.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. And she also is very who she is with him. There's no walls up. There's no, she's not putting up up front. She doesn't have to pretend she didn't have the childhood. She had the good and the bad, the rich and the you know, all of it. He can goally relate and they have this they have rory, so like they have this thing right forever. As much as everybody doesn't want to hear.
Speaker 6: It, he's they're but they're connected on not just the roy level. They're connected on a primal level. They're connected on a level that nobody outside of the two of them can understand. When she had problems with Maxi Medina, who did she go to? She called? She called Christopher the night of her bachelorette party. To Max Medina, she runs to him. She ran to him when she when they had that when Francine and Strobe, we're all Strobe was all up in her will. What did they do go and have sex? She never says no, She never says no.
Speaker 3: And do you think they have chemistry? I do, but a lot of people shoot.
Speaker 2: That now, No, I don't.
Speaker 6: Again, I don't think they have chemistry because they know each other on a primal level, which is a lot different than having chemistry, like she and the oh, this is all kinds of chemistry. Let me just say there are certain episodes I will watch over and over and over again just for their cameras try. But I think again there are they are such primal human beings that when they're together, she knows that he knows that nothing can go on, nothing can happen. And once she is away from him, when the chaos ensues, where does she go? And I know that I know that Scott and Danielle haven't seen season seven, but season seven is is? That is that place? Season seven?
Speaker 2: Is that place?
Speaker 6: Until as we get into the As we get into the season.
Speaker 1: I think, I think I understand what you're saying. Maybe I'm not looking forward to seeing.
Speaker 3: That's what I was going to say.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna yeah season Yeah, I have.
Speaker 3: Something for all three of you. So you know how like in life, you sort of have a traumatic event, right and part of you is always sort of frozen at that moment?
Speaker 2: Are both of them?
Speaker 3: Like we always talk about Christopher being so teenagery ish, right, Well, maybe Loralai has a lot of that in her too. She is like childlike in a lot of ways. And you know, they maybe the pregnancy and the birth like did have trauma for them, and in some ways it's why they're always sort of drawn back to each other just as teenagers. You know, that's very teenagery to run back to yours, right an adult. Yeah, yeah, Scott, you talked about that, that's right.
Speaker 6: I think she goes back to that. She goes back to that time as a teenager, no worries, don't have to pay bills, don't have my own business. She goes back to that spot immediately when she's with Christopher, and he allows it, right, he opens up and he allows the fact that she could come back to him, where Luke would be like you're a grown ass woman, pulla bridges up, and.
Speaker 4: You know, kind of still lives in that immaturity like he didn't have to immediately like Laura I did. And I think when he when Gigi came along, is kind of where he grew up a little bit. He suddenly had that that single parent responsibility that has had for you know, twenty years now. So I think that's why he is always like wanting her to come back in because he's just still living in that.
Speaker 6: Agreed agreed and he even with Gigi he still had all that child like I can't say no, you know, all of that stuff. I can't say no to her. And then then he when he tries to connect with Rory, there is that he doesn't understand. Rory can see that he's still a child, like when he goes to his dorm, when he goes to her dorm room, or he goes to the apartment and he's like, we have to go out to breakfast. We have to do this, we have do that, and she's like, no.
Speaker 3: Right, and he's all about he loves Logan. He grew up a little bit with Sherry, like she got you know, whether right or wrong, good, bad, He got that job, got the haircut, he's sort of buttoned up, got a Volvo or whatever it was right, and then he had to grow up a bit when she just bails, which is such a Christopher move.
Speaker 6: But you notice he grew up. And then Lorelai, I can't get her to stop crying.
Speaker 2: Can you do this?
Speaker 6: Can you come babysit? And what does she do? She runs right to him again, her safe place. It just it always goes back to Christopher being her safety net, her not. He doesn't criticizes her yeah, they fight, but they fight like siblings. If you've ever yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, they fight like siblings. They don't fight like a relationship couple. They fight like siblings. And I think that's what teenagers. Yes, yes, and Laura l I. I think she uses that to her advantage, and Christopher certainly does because Christopher knows he's getting some Laura like tail whenever she comes over.
Speaker 1: He knows that she's just say, Laurel, I tail.
Speaker 3: I remember when you called it the bad thing. I was calling it the bad thing.
Speaker 1: I call it the bad thing, Laurel I tale every time she cuts off.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Linda, you're funny. How are you feeling about.
Speaker 6: About Scott? Thank you?
Speaker 3: Season seven? Like, what what advice do you We made Danielle go away because we're afraid of spoilers, but what advice do you stop? For season seven?
Speaker 6: Strap In? It's going to be a bumpy ride, that's all. That's all I'm gonna say is strap In, it's going to be a bumpy ride. Yeah. But but yeah, I think you know, he's her soft place to land. Yeah, and he let and he and he lets it happen.
Speaker 2: He likes it. Yeah, of course he does.
Speaker 6: Yeah, of course he does. There's no there's no denying that. But like I said, season seven, just strap in. But actually, I mean my daughter and I started watching Gilmore Girls the minute it came on when she was a teenager. She's thirty five now, and now we've gotten both of our husbands to watch. We watch on Netflix, and both of our husbands like, because my daughter, his name is Nina and she's my own, she's our only child. So she and I called each other Laurea Ian Rory all through her growing up.
Speaker 3: That's so good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we do it. We still do it now. People are like what we're like, never mind, But our husbands now are like, we'll sit there and we'll watch and we'll repeat lines and we'll say lines, and they look at us like, would you girls, fuley shut up or go in the other room think of Gilmour Girls. My husband wasn't a fan at first, but now he is really into it. And he likes Luke. He says, I like Luke. Luke's a stand up guy. He does not like Christopher. He thinks Christopher is a slimy worm, but he is. Sometimes he likes Jess and sometimes he likes Logan. He's not a big Dean fan, but he he fluctuates between Jess and Logan. That's that's that's his fluctuation between Jess and Logan. And I'm not sure of my son in law. I'm not really who do I like.
Speaker 3: For Yeah, it's between Jess.
Speaker 6: I like Logan in her college years, but I like Jess as an adult, not so much as a teenager, because I unfortunately dated a Jess many many Yes, Luke and I are of the same age. I mean, Scott and I are the same age, and I dated a Jess and it did not end well, let's just say so I have when I see Jess, it brings up a lot of Oh, yeah, I know where this is going. I'm more of a I'm more of a Logan.
Speaker 3: I'm a Logan fan. Although when we get to the movies, there's a whole there's gonna be so many discussions because Logan and y are a mess in the movie.
Speaker 6: I think I not who gives Scott any spoilers on the movies, but I don't think they did Logan and Rory justice.
Speaker 3: And I agree with you, Yeah, I think somewhere Scott might agree to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't think they did them. I don't think they did them justice. But see I married my Logan, so I'm.
Speaker 3: All good, Oh that's so cute. Yeah, they did Jess. They did Jess right multiple times. Yeah, they they really make him turn out great.
Speaker 6: Oh I think Jess as an adult. Rory should have gone with Jess as an adult because he pulled a lot more out of her intellectually than I think Logan did.
Speaker 3: He's a stand up guy. He's he's Luke, yes.
Speaker 6: Oh absolutely, he is a He is a mini me Luke for sure. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean we kind of know that Luke as a teenager had some Jess tent Like Luke wasn't perfect that probably as a teenager, and we kind of know that a little bit. So anyway, Linda, you must say hi for us.
Speaker 6: Oh, I certainly will. I told her yesterday that I was going to be on the podcast and she was all jealous and like, I can't believe you're gonna do that. I'm like, yes, I'm gonna get to talk to my my Scott Patterson. I'm so excited.
Speaker 3: Say something swoony, Scott, say.
Speaker 6: Something swoony, Say something swoony, say something to look like Linda in a different time and place maybe maybe. Oh yes, absolutely. And by the way, Sullivan's Crossing Rocks. Oh, thank you, yes it absolutely. I grew up my summers in Canada, so oh dig you yes, yes, grew up in Ontario.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 6: So but Sullivan's Crossing Rocks. I can't wait till April when season two comes out.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, they're gonna. I'm doing the ad R on season one right now.
Speaker 6: I'm very excited because season one was definitely emotion season two.
Speaker 1: But by the way, the show looks a lot better now. Oh really, okay, yeah, it looks like it kind of looks like a film. It looks like movies. It's it's really they I don't know what they did. It's just wild, but it just looks a season.
Speaker 3: Season two hasn't not aired in Canada yet, right, no?
Speaker 1: Soon?
Speaker 3: Oh wow?
Speaker 6: Okay, So if Scott Patterson is on the TV, it's on my house much.
Speaker 3: Wait, Scott, is it Soft four, which I can't see.
Speaker 6: I can't see it.
Speaker 1: Are we bringing that into the.
Speaker 3: No, I can't.
Speaker 6: See any of those. I can only see I can only see Scott. I can't see those movies. I'm not I'm not that kind of movie person.
Speaker 1: So oh my gosh, what does your husband say when when when I'm on TV?
Speaker 6: Oh, He's like, oh my god, your boyfriend's on TV again. I'm like, yuess, I have it on. I mean I've watched Gilmore Girls so much, and it was on at Thanksgiving when they put it on up and it's on for that whole week. It's on constantly. I never turn it off. And he's like, is your boyfriend on the TV again? I'm like, yes, go away.
Speaker 3: I get Linda out of ten like Apple.
Speaker 6: Pies, but oh my gosh, you guys are out of ten. I listened to your podcast all. I mean, I'm caught up. I listen to it every night as much as possible. Whenever it's on, I'm listener.
Speaker 1: Are you what part of the country I.
Speaker 6: Live in, South Georgia, Valdosta?
Speaker 1: How are you in Valdosta? Okay? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Which is near Moody Air Force Base.
Speaker 1: Okay cool.
Speaker 6: So, like I was telling Amy earlier, my my daughter decided to go to school down here and find her husband and start procreating. So my husband and I lived in Atlanta for thirty something years and I said bye, So you gotta go be with the grandson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 6: And I know my grandson is I also relate Scott because my grandson is the age of your son. He's nine. Oh really, yes he's not. And actually we have a he calls me because my husband's Sicilian and so we haven't known a gab that his name's Gavin. We haven't known a Gavin. Date tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Oh that is very nice.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're dressing up. He's taking me to dinner.
Speaker 2: That is so cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so well, listen best your husband.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 1: He sounds like a solid dude.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 6: We've been together for we've been married for forty years. Whoa and we've been together for forty four.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's so great.
Speaker 6: So yeah, we're lifers, as they say, we're lifers. But it was wonderful talking to y'all. Good talking to Thank you. You have a wonderful afternoon and evening. And I hope the California snow doesn't get you, Tony.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm in southern California. I think Amy's in northern California here.
Speaker 3: I like, went outside a sweatshirt and I don't even need a sweatshirt that.
Speaker 1: You got like ten feet a snow to deal with, don't you.
Speaker 3: I'm going up to Tahoe next weekend.
Speaker 6: So thank y'all, thanks so much, thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, it is a pleasure.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: He is Tyler Conray, Ladies and gentlemen, only Tyler from Instagram fame there as we got him. Everybody wants them. How you doing, Bud, I'm doing so good.
Speaker 3: This is Oh my god, you're so cute Tyler.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Wait, we need to explain for people that are just listening. So Tyler is watching Gilmore Girls and you know, films himself shoots himself watching and the ending he just I know you've gone past it now, but your video of you watching season six went fully viral because Tyler didn't love the ending.
Speaker 7: I just I wasn't happy she was reverting back like she was going back and I felt like she was going back in time and Rory was kind of maturing. And I don't know if that was the writers on that to have them like mature in the opposite direction.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good take. We haven't talked about that. That's a good take.
Speaker 7: Valentine's episode about the vineyard like her and Logan are so mature and Luke looked like they're a high school couple, Like.
Speaker 2: Not right, So were you shocked?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 7: I was gagged. I was absolutely gagged. I was just I love Luke and Laura. I was so happy at the end of season five when she was like, Luke, will you marry me? Like that was actually my first reaction that I posted. My friend Trudy was like I told her I was watching for the first time, and she was like, Okay, these are the episodes I need you to film just because I want to see your reaction. She was like, and five the end of season six and the end of season seven, and I was like, okay, and then she was like, you should absolutely post this, And now it has almost like three million views the end of season seven one I think also almost has uh or end of season the year in the life.
Speaker 3: So I'm not, oh, yeah, we aren't there yet because we're protecting Danielle from knowing what happens. But so good, no, no, no, you're fine, You're fine. So I don't know. Maybe I would love to just hear your thoughts on season six and the ending and just sort of you can just talk to us.
Speaker 7: I mean season six. I we know Luke doesn't like to be like sprung on like he does. That's not his energy. He doesn't know what to do. Loralai comes in like a wrecking ball during like rush hour at the diner and is like ultimatum now, and it's just like like I know why she did it because she had been pushed by Emily. She had been pushed by April's mother to be like, I don't want you on my daughter unless you're married. But I also wanted Laurala to just enjoy being engaged to Luke, like, enjoy that time. If June wasn't gonna work, he was, he was so like in the Valentine's Day episode, he was all like you know, yes, like, well, let's pick a date. If having a date makes you feel better, then let's talk about it, like maybe it's not June third, but and then enjoy being engaged and enjoy like Luke discovering himself with April and discovering being a father him never happened really that moment before.
Speaker 1: Right, Why isn't she happy for him?
Speaker 3: I agree?
Speaker 1: Why isn't she supportive for him? He's got it? Exactly? Good? Great point.
Speaker 7: Great point, and so I get like she was definitely feeling pressure from everything else. And then poor Lane's wedding.
Speaker 2: Out.
Speaker 7: Actually, oh god, oh my god, how can you block that out? Also, missus Kim is truly one of my favorites in the entire series, like in season six when she makes Zach write a song before you get from.
Speaker 3: A hit and it had to be a hit.
Speaker 7: Ionic, so iconic and just like go missus Kim, love love her one of my favorite characters on the show. Yeah, and I Lorlai could have gone to anybody, right, But I do think they said, you guys talked about this last week on the podcast, they did set it up really well where you saw that Lourlai kind of was disconnected from her normal crew. She can't relate to Sochi anymore because she has that whole family life now and she can't really relate to that and so and Soukie doesn't really get what's going on with her. She's like no, she won't say anything, like I can't get her to open up, and she can't talk to her mother. You know, her mother is really not team Luke. And the episode where her mom gets high surgery iconic. I made my mom watch the series after I finished it, and she was like, do you think I'm like Emily, like is that why you want me to watch this? And I'm like, well, like sometimes I see you and Emily, and sometimes I see like your mom to you and Emily. So I just thought, you know, but so I get anybody to go to. But she could have gone to Luke, like she could have gone back, and I'm like, I'm sorry, I could have just gone home. I get what she want to be alone. She just got Planka. She's got a dog, go to your little dog Palka instead of Christopher and a stupid buzz cut in his toxic relationship with him, and like.
Speaker 4: A dog would be preferable.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, go to Dean. Know, Dean loves cheating. I think I would have been less mad if it was anybody but christ.
Speaker 2: Show.
Speaker 7: Dean stuck on for season seven, Like that's that's a show right there.
Speaker 3: I made it. I'm the only one on planet Earth that was like, this is exactly what she would do, exactly.
Speaker 7: You're right, because they were really reverting her, like I said, like, it felt like the writers were reverting her maturity. You're watching Rory mature and to an adult, and you're watching LAURAAI kind of like descend maturity level.
Speaker 3: So like it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, like Rory also kind of did the same thing, like she slept with with Dean while he was married, and so they kind of gave that to Laura I, and they're kind of like shifting their maturity pass.
Speaker 3: I agree with that. We didn't really address that, but I we did talk about how it's one of the most amazing sort of Rory Logan moments, and you're right in that it's because they are making the hard choice because it's the best choice in that moment for Logan, and so Rory is sacrificing herself for Logan to go do what he needs to do. And I would have liked to see or Lie sacrifice herself to allow Luke to do what he needed to do.
Speaker 4: That's what she was doing the whole time, though. That's I think that's what I'm not connecting with.
Speaker 3: You, because she never really is. She's all but hurt all the time, even though she's not expressing it.
Speaker 4: I disagree. I I disagree she looking around. She did everything Luke wanted her to do, but but she wanted her to stay away and stay in the background, and she did.
Speaker 3: But she wasn't doing it. So here there's a difference. It's I always say it like this, there's playing hard to get and there's being hard to get. So so in those same terms, she was doing it, but not she wasn't doing it. Truly, she's upset about it, she's bummed about it. She's not doing it all truistically for him. She's doing it because he told her to. She should have done it because it was what he needed. I mean, you don't have degree.
Speaker 2: I see you know your face.
Speaker 4: I don't agree.
Speaker 3: You don't have to. That's the beauty of it. We don't have to agree to both. It doesn't make one of us right or wrong. I think Loralai could have been more supportive of supportive of Luke and this major.
Speaker 4: How would she like, what should she have done that would be more supportive, so instead of.
Speaker 3: Just staying away, she would understand.
Speaker 1: People like an out of control, impulsive teenager.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: When did she do that other than those last episode?
Speaker 3: He just did it, thank you, Tyler. Tyler agrees no, but because she's been doing it all along. First of all, it's very teenagery to make up a staff meeting and hide in your bedroom and have miss Patty lie and say you're not home. That's like insane. That to me was where I was like, Oh, she's gone, wait what Tyler, she's taking like at exactly that teenager too and getting up there and making that embarrassing toast and being so unhinged. The other thing is she's doing it, but she's not doing it for the right reasons. And I know, I say sound like I'm on the Bachelor, but it's like, if she truly supported Luke and really was in it with him, she would have had no issue giving him that space. She wouldn't if she really understood this is a life changing thing that has just happened to him. I need to sacrifice my own needs and wants and give him the time. And he never indicated he didn't love her and that the wedding wasn't happening. She made that up in her head, in my opinion, allegedly. Okay, but but then say what you think, Say what you think.
Speaker 4: I think that she was doing I think by how do I phrase it, like, by staying in the background because Luke wanted her to. That's how she was supporting him. She never pressured Luke to say, like let me meet April, let me hang out with you guys, like let's all be friends, like she she was. That's how she was trying to support him was by following his wishes. And I agree with that.
Speaker 3: But the reason she exploded is because she wasn't doing it from her heart. She was doing it because he told her to. If she was doing it truly like selfish, selflessly unconditional love for him, there would be no reason to have an ultimatum or explode because she would be so like, he needs time, and I'm good with it because I know we're going to get married. She's just totally gone insecure because if she truly.
Speaker 1: Believes so is so this here we go again. We are forcing who's forcing behaviors on characters to so that they are acting unlike characters that they've long established, Right?
Speaker 3: Is confident?
Speaker 1: Are you recognizing Luke? Are you recognizing Laurel I? In these scenes? Do they seem like they are Luke and Laurel I? Do they seem like they are these people that something has been imposed upon them somewhat?
Speaker 3: They seem like themselves?
Speaker 7: Tyler, go ahead, Oh, I was just I fully agree with like Lorelai, just there were like you see little moments like you see her when she gets to like be a part of April's life and she's so excited, and then April's mom is like, no, like I need someone who's committed. I need to know someone's committed. So in Laura's mind, she's making up the false reality that because she's not married, that she's not committed. So she wants to be a part of April. She liked having that and now she's not gonna be able to have that unless she's married. She wants to get married now, and she's but it is very like childish, like I think, like Scott, like you said, like she she's just acting. She's acting the mature and she's acting impulsively instead of listening to her partner like a mature adult who made post to therapy like you think.
Speaker 3: Because I agree with you, Tyler, I agree with you. He told her we're gonna get married and we can have lobster at the wedding. He's never indicated to her they're not going to get married.
Speaker 4: But actions speak louder than words. I tell my kids that all the time. It's like you say you're going to wash the dishes, but I know you're not going to wash the dishes until you actually go wash the dishes. I'm going to change the topic because Tyler, you said something like ten minutes ago that I like latched onto and you made a comment about Dean and Rory, and I realized there's a parallel. If you think about that disaster date where Rory was in the bar with the guy that Emily set her up with. Yeah, Paul's Dean, right.
Speaker 3: She didn't have to call Dean.
Speaker 2: She could have.
Speaker 4: Called any other number of people. She could have called me grandmother and be like, you know, you set me up with a drunk driver, did you know that?
Speaker 3: And that completely.
Speaker 4: Parallels what could have been anywhere. She didn't have to go to Christopher's house. She could have anyways. I just hadn't thought of that great note. So I just had a great call out.
Speaker 3: And we did at the time say why did she call Dean?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 4: And you know, it's like Amy's writing Amy Sherman Palladino is It's very big on the you know, the full circle. And so there's so many parallels between Loral and Rory and that was one that I had never even caught before until you mentioned that.
Speaker 3: So that's a good note. That's so true, like mother like daughter.
Speaker 7: Exactly, And because the next day, Roy's like, look, that's just like my Dean, like he didn't cheat because he's not. I'm not wrecking my Dean. And I feel like Laura is the same impression, like is also that's one of my favorite lines from the show. And Gg's like, I also don't sleep in my night gown when I'm sick, like's gonna wake up and be like, oh well, like that was just like my Christopher, Like that means nothing. I'm gonna go marry Luke now and still be with Luke, and he's gonna he's gonna think this is so funny.
Speaker 3: Ha ha. It's a lot. I mean it's a lot, like we saw it in Tyler's reaction. It's a lot.
Speaker 7: Because after season five, I'm like, yes, I've been waiting five seasons for this to happen, for like Luke and Laurili to get together, to have this like beautiful life together, and then Laura I just really took a turn. I don't know if it was like Rory joining the you know, the d A R and then right. But also she was maturing, and I think she was maturing past Lurla and LAURAAI didn't know what to do with that. She was like, no, I want like a teenager, Like I want that, like I'm healing my owner child through my own teenage daughter. And now she's maturing, and now what do I do. I've never got She's still stuck. That we talked about that she's sort of stuck. I don't know, Susanne.
Speaker 3: I am interested in your take if you see that Lurla I imploded throughout the season. Or is it because Luke wasn't leveling up to where she needed him to be.
Speaker 2: I think he.
Speaker 4: I think she just she just was worn down, like she thought she was doing the right thing by staying back because Luke wanted her to. But she said herself in that last episode, She's like, you know, I feel crappy all the time. You know, she just she just knew that it didn't feel right, and so I forgot.
Speaker 3: No, that was a good answer. It totally Look I'm going way deep now and I'll let everybody go.
Speaker 1: But maybe she was just feeling like she couldn't control the situation. So I have a lot of anxiety in her because she's used to controlling all these subject and.
Speaker 3: That's right, Scott. I think she's making herself feel how she's feeling. No one's doing it to her. She's kind of what Tyler said, sort of creating it in her own mind. I do think she's making matters worse for herself rather than just being confident and saying, yes, this is a giant hiccup, but we're gonna be good.
Speaker 1: Susanne, how do you feel about that?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think Luke could have helped. I mean, Luke could have been more reassuring.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if anybody knows who, If anybody Abraham Hicks, Tyler, do you know who Abraham Hicks is? No, you guys all got a YouTube it because basically this so she's sort of like a therapy guru, and her whole thing would be Lorelai is doing this to herself. It's not Luke doing it to her that she's creating sort of this. She's making it worse for herself in her own mind.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: So the people I'm gonna get a one hundred thousand mean emails.
Speaker 1: Don't need them, don't I need them?
Speaker 7: That Loralai exactly. She was getting hurt by false realities that she was making up in her head, which is a very sure thing to do in somebody who has not done the growth or personal work and is secure in themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I agree.
Speaker 4: I think I made this point earlier when we had a different caller on the whole. I don't blame Lorelai for being insecure because this whole thing started with Luke withholding information from her, and when she found out that he had known about April for two months and didn't tell her, I can see how that would feel like a betrayal, and so I can say that was the seed of insecurity in her mind. That Okay, if he didn't think I was important enough to share that information with, he's checking out, and.
Speaker 1: Then it's it's like a domino.
Speaker 3: That's a fair point. That's a fair point. He that's a fair point. I'm going to totally agree with you there that had he handled that initial thing different, now, I don't totally fault him. I get it it was overwhelming and he was terrified, right, But you're right, I do think that started, like Scott said, a domino effect. It was a it was just a train wreck from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just it looks fault. Just blame the guy. Just always blame the guy. He can take it by the dude, I'm trying to see take the shots. But he did it his way.
Speaker 4: I've tried so hard for the Hire show. If you think about all the relationships, the entire show is founded on a lack of communication. Every single pair of people, except maybe like Marian bad Bet suffers from a lack of communication at some point, like Suki, Richard and Emily. All of them suffer from that. It's just a recurring theme everywhere.
Speaker 1: Well, it's a recurring theme in relationships.
Speaker 3: That's why I always say it's a Three's Company episode.
Speaker 1: There you go about the.
Speaker 3: Miscommunication, right, Oh, Tyler, thank you for joining us for our therapy Gilmore Girls therapy today.
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, thank you all so much. I've loved this is this is so surreal to me, especially because I truly just started watching this at like Thanksgiving.
Speaker 3: So the fact that jam and dude, you've watched the movies now, right.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I've watched you watched everything even faster than me. She's retired and so that's why she was like, what do I what do I watch now? I'm like, Gilmore girls.
Speaker 1: Where where are you? What part of the country you I'm in New York City? Okay, all right, Suzanne.
Speaker 3: I do think we need to tell people that we genuinely like each other, because you, yes, we like each other like so much.
Speaker 1: Oh they do. It's disgusting.
Speaker 3: We have to separate them like you can make we can disagree, but we like totally love show.
Speaker 1: We have to encourage them to mingle with other people.
Speaker 4: When we have the live podcast event and we saw each other, it was like big hugs, totally.
Speaker 3: And it's look if we agreed all the time, what's fun about that?
Speaker 1: It's like, but Amy and I don't get along. No, we That's it's like I see her coming, I run the other way.
Speaker 3: That's why I can't remember. I'm like, was that on the air? Was that just one of our phone calls? I think people don't realize, like we talk about this show on the air, off the air context on the weekends. Just like again, anyway, welcome to the mess, Tyler, honor to be here.
Speaker 2: Thank you all so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have a feeling we're going to be seeing you again for sure. I just have a feeling. I have a feeling somehow going to be a part of this, somehow away. Thanks keep making those great videos. You're awesome and appreciate the time.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 4: Thanks, take care, good talking to you.
Speaker 1: Good men, your body, take care.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't be up I Am All In Podcast if there wasn't a brawl.
Speaker 1: Oh god, I was gonna wrap it up kids. Thanks for everybody called in. We had a blast. Love you guys. We're going to do this again. I really enjoyed it. Thank you, Susanne, Thank you Amy, and we will see you next time. Stay safe everywhere dot Hey, everybody to forget. Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In Podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.