Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Players Lounge, broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star. Now your hosts Barry Church, Heckma Harrison, and Newie Scrugs.
Speaker 3: Here we are Players Lounge Home Day right here on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio from the SWBC podcast Let's Videos, Let's get it.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The crude if you don't hear you, is Heckmaarrison in the house. Bury Church, former Cowboys safety fresh off the Gulf course. Yes, Press, We're lucky to have him, were lucky to have you play like doodo today. But it's all good and I'm merely knew. He Scrugs here to help facilitate and get things through. Here forty five minutes of Dallas Cowboys football talk right here for you as the Cowboys get ready for the New Orlands Saints.
Speaker 2: It is a game that.
Speaker 3: Will be at home, the first Cowboys home game of the year. It will be a sellout. If you're going, please get there early. I constantly have to rely on people this time of the year. Like I know, he's been a minute since you've been out there, you better give you I always help people.
Speaker 2: Give yourself three hours.
Speaker 4: At least give yourself three hours unless you know how to get there, unless you know how to get.
Speaker 2: To I do you do.
Speaker 3: But even still, heck, I don't try to play with it. I don't try to play with because all you need is some wreck. Okay uh And you know some folks who can't turn right, that kind of thing. So, because there's always in people who don't know, who don't know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: Questions like can I go over here?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Man, drive where you need to go?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 3: That was that was that was my photography, cleve hey man, what about no go further down?
Speaker 2: Just drive? Yes?
Speaker 3: So so, yes, make sure you are there early the cowboys where they dominating when over the Cleveland Browns folks left. So do you know what that means? Now, what's that mean? You know what that means? Jerry got him back. Jerry got him back. Jerry got him back there in there. You saw your you saw your your social media feed. Calwoo fan was backwell Fair went back. What's the guy who sings the video they show all the time.
Speaker 2: Ain't nobody calling me texting me? You still.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you still litle boys. Yeah, that guy I see that playing a whole lot. So so so here it comes. The Saints are in town. Okay, the buddh is right next to us. A lot of Saints fans. Yeah, they're gonna be paired, so they will they will acquire tickets, so it will be a fun game here. The Saints dismantled the Carolina Panthers forty seven to ten at home. Okay, just looking at the numbers. For Derek Carr, he didn't have to do much. A nineteen or twenty three for two hundred yards. He had three touchdown passes in the game and had a quarter back rating a one forty two point five, so he just had to do his part. This was a team when they're sure, but Derek Carr is a guy that we have seen through the years. There's some good and there's some some big ugly brother what is this the right?
Speaker 2: Yes? Yes, and heck mo.
Speaker 3: When you look at Derek Carr, what are the things that concern you that you say, all right, what do we what are the cowboys and defensively need to be looking at for against number four?
Speaker 4: Look, I've been one of those people in Derek Carr's career that has looked at him like an adequate quarterback. He has had his feelings and it's been because he's had a poor offensive line. Him and his brother got a lot in coming in that way, hit a lot. Oh yeah, it got smacked his brother, David Carr, NFL Network analysts. But you know, Derek Carr has been one of those guys that has never been considered amongst the elite. But his numbers, if you look at his numbers, and through his career he's had some pretty good numbers. But in New Orleans, he still is a victim of the same things that plagued him when he played for the Raiders. If you touch him, he will fumble the ball. And so one of the things that also is in his favor is the fact that he's one of those guys now and that has gotten into his career and he's like, I need a running game to go with what my strengths are. And him and Alvin Kamara present a challenge and are going to present a challenge to a lot of teams in the NFC South. The Saints, they have a offensive coordinator and Koubiak that pressure you at.
Speaker 2: The line of scrimmers.
Speaker 4: They are going to play twenty one, They're gonna put tight ends on, They're gonna overload you. And what he also loves to do is do a lot of motion BC, you know as well as anybody offensive coordinators that use a lot of motion or trying to find out what right and the whole thing is to try and out leverage you. And so when I watched the Carolina Panthers tape, the problem that I had one the Carolina Panthers are not gonna be very good this season, Okay, and not to jump on that trund, but they out leveraged them in a lot of ways. And it wasn't just what he did those three touchdowns that he threw. And he threw some dots, Okay, he threw some dots and some great ones, great throws, but it was one hundred and eighty yards on the ground that really has me more concerned about what I see from the Saints. And this is a game guys that I feel like your interior defensive line is definitely gonna be challenged because Derek Carr can't make all the throws.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said, it's something interesting right there.
Speaker 7: You said, the motions, the shifts, they're gonna try to play with the eyes of the defenders for the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: And now they got some young pups in there.
Speaker 7: When you talk about the interior defensive line with Mazi, then you talk about the second level with Overshown and Yafu. Those guys out there, they're gonna try to play with their mind. They're gonna go ahead and get you trying to figure out what you're in, like the motion, short.
Speaker 2: Motion, law motion? Are they a man and man? Are they in zong coverage?
Speaker 7: They're gonna try to play with those guys' eyes. And you know what Mariy Nelly always said, you see a lot, you see a little, you see a little, you see a lot. So to me, that front seven for the Cowboys, they will be tested. They will be tested in this situation because they have two backs over there. In my opinion, Union they may not be what they weren't once was talking about Kamorrow and Williams.
Speaker 2: But they still are a threat.
Speaker 7: They still are a threat in the backfield, especially tomorrow when you talk about being a receiver out of the backfield. And then they got the tight end as well. I believe his last name is Monroe Foster Moreau. Foster Moreau, he believes got to can cuss your head. He may not seek that'll be a matchup now. They were able to handle it in Djoekup, but I think a lot of that had to deal with the pressure and they were just harassing Watson out there, so he couldn't take advantage of that mismatch right there. But to me, it's going to be another game where that front seven has got to be huge. They're gonna get after Derek Carr. And if you can get after Derek Carr, that man can see ghosts back there.
Speaker 2: When we've seen it a hundred he's getting feet around. Man, they're right next to me all the way over there. Man, you was good.
Speaker 7: But you can get him seeing ghosts, and you can get him trying to get that ball out before he gets hit. That's when the turnovers start happening. And I believe that's what the Cowboys are focused on doing. When you go against the New Orleans Saints.
Speaker 3: I looked at the numbers here and he thank you for it. Up thirty seven runs to twenty four passes. This is just the sign of a team that overwhelmed the other team. So if you if you're a Saint fans, I don't don't get too drunk off this one. You got to face Carolina. The Cowboys are gonna get Carolina in December. So this looks like you know that you know this, you know, like that pencil into that homecoming game.
Speaker 2: Don't say Florida and yeah, right right, So this looks like that kind of game, a home coming out.
Speaker 3: So yes, Nate Newton, Yeah, proud Florida and rattling along with Pam Oliver or Fox Sports. So don't you know, saintan fan, don't get too excited. The challenge steps up this week for you. They've got a left tackle that is a rookie as well out there. Yeah, and so this is another opportunity for Mike Zimmer to go ahead and turn it up.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I had.
Speaker 3: Spoke to Trevon Diggs and Patrick Walker of Dallas Cowboys dot Com. We were there with some other people and Trayvon Digs told me he said, we got a whole lot we didn't show.
Speaker 2: Then I asked mikeabiny whim.
Speaker 3: I said, we probably showed maybe four or five looks of what we can. So there's a lot in the bag that Mike Zimmer did not uncover that on Monday. He kind of made I got some other Micah packages just didn't get to didn't need to. So another young left tackle out here, he needs to see a whole eleven needs to be giving that work. Welcome to the league, sign welcomer, Welcome rook here. I am so I look at that aspect of the Cowboys of what they can do here, and I just I echo what you said about Derek Carr. Derek Carr is that guy that if you make him uncomfortable, Yeah, he will get very uncomfortable.
Speaker 2: Carolina.
Speaker 7: Do y'all think real quickly, do y'all think you know they only showed whatever he said four or five different packages. Do y'all think that could be a good thing because it allowed those young guys, those young defenders out there to just play fast like they weren't worried about thinking and oh if this motion happens, I got a check to this and the communication was crisp those guys, those guys the communication was out. There was no big time explosive plays. So do you think that could be a good thing? Or if they're going to show more and more as a season progressors that'll make these young guys thinks a little bit more and play a little bit slower.
Speaker 2: Like, what are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 4: The whole thing that you said is communication, and I think for coach Zimmer, one of his staples has always been as the way that he disguises, coverages and confuses offenses and quarterbacks specifically. But you know how much not only the communication but repetition that you have to do to make rookies are guys that are new to the NFL comfortable in the new sets that they're in. You have to be able to take those helmets out off, go to the field, be able to walk through and be able to hey, when they line up like this, we're going to do this. And so with him being able to say, look, we hadn't even shown half of the looks that we have, I think that's a positive because then what happens is, you know in the NFL, is they prepare for you, They make adjustments, they know. So the tape is going to be out now on Zimmer on how he wants how he wants to use Michael. So that's my only thing I think if there's more in the bag. Oh, I can't wait. I can't wait to see how they use Michael but in this in this game, as you were talking about the left tackle, Newie, I think that when you see this offensive line for the Saints in All twenty two, they moved together. And that's why I say Mozzi is going to be It's gonna be very important for Mazi to be able to stick and stay and not get moved where he gets in troubles when he gets turned and gets pushed up the field, and then your linebackers are rendered helpless because you now have a guy six y five, three hundred pounds to the second level, so you're not able to see that speed from overshown. And that's what I saw in the in the Carolina Panthers game that I thought that the Saints did really well in their center.
Speaker 2: Eric McCoy.
Speaker 4: Man very mobile as a center and as a guy that likes to chip block and get to the second level.
Speaker 2: Man shows fast out there. He will roll the rolling wow wow wow wow.
Speaker 3: And for a guy having his first NFL regular season game, and just think of what will happened for him as he starts to get more and more.
Speaker 2: Comfortable out there.
Speaker 3: The heck going back to the front game, because we thought Cleveland would try.
Speaker 2: No offensive tackle was out there.
Speaker 3: You know, after the first drive ten straight drives where they did nothing with the football, six punts, two picks, and four two drives that ended up and downs. We saw Alvin Kamara fifteen carries eighty three yards and a touchdown, Jamal Williams, who came home from Detroit, eleven carries thirty eight yards and a touchdown.
Speaker 2: Taysom Hill, Damn, I forgot about the Swiss Army knife.
Speaker 4: I was watching the film and I was like, there's no way that number seven is tasted. No way, no way tastes a Hill still plays with the Saints.
Speaker 3: Good five carries thirty five yards average seven yards of tote. So when he got in there, he was able to effect to get a little with something there. His long was twelve yards, so he did something with his carry. So thirty seven runs, you've got to get them in some third long. It's just not gonna be as easy for as it was against the Panthers, and for the Cowboys, it's not gonna be as easy as it was against the Cleveland Brown. So both teams are going to get some tests here and this is going to be the fun part of this. The Cowboys were so good at home last year, except.
Speaker 2: But really needed. But all you can do now is start at home.
Speaker 3: Barry, what was the mentality like for the first home game when you were playing.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's when you play that first home game, I don't care you know what year you're in, you know, year ten or you're in year two. The butterflies are rolling. I mean, on the away game, it's kind of you're kind of all in unison. It's us against the world, so it's kind of that feeling where you're all together as one. But those home games, I mean, you got guys who got family over there, and it can be a little bit distracting. But when you get into that locker room, you all have to lock in and the butterflies are flying because nothing is like Cowboys Stadium at that kickoff, that first kickoff, all those guys.
Speaker 2: Rolling in the white flags flying all over the place. It gets your hype.
Speaker 3: It gets your hype, and I think that's the key to starting fast. It's like, if you can feed into that fan pace, you can feed into that energy. I mean We've seen it time and time again with the Cowboys last season when they were in the home, they were able to start fast, jump on teams quick, and I think that's going to be the difference in this game.
Speaker 2: They've got to step on New Orleans stroke.
Speaker 7: They got to jump on them quick and not give them an opportunity to have forty seven thirty seven run attempts.
Speaker 2: Let me follow that up here. It's a noon game.
Speaker 3: The Cowboys live in the afternoon games, so this is one of the rare times they're playing a new game a noon game.
Speaker 2: Here. What's the difference there? Oh?
Speaker 7: I hated noon games because when you get up, you know, you got to get your little breakfast in and I always felt just kind of.
Speaker 2: Tired, like I don't know if I had the itis or what.
Speaker 7: Maybe it was because I was eating to have pancakes, eggs, all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: I just felt like sluggish in the morning.
Speaker 7: I had the itis, man, But I hated noon games with a passion. You love it when it's done because you got the rest of your day. But getting hyped and getting ready to run through somebody's skull at you know, twelve, it's just but then you know you get rolling in it, you figure it out.
Speaker 2: But those afternoon and night games ain't nothing like those though.
Speaker 4: Now I feel like when you talk about the home game and what a difference a couple of years made for the Dallas Cowboys because they had never been considered a home stadium favorite. You know, it's always felt like a visiting stadium even for them. And now over the last couple of games, I believe this is going to be seventeen in a row during the regular season if they pull out a victory at home, and so that is home field advantage for the Dallas Cowboys. So I think, you know, twelve o'clock, the crowd is going to be rowdy, ready to get back to it because the last time Cowboy fans saw the Dallas Cowboys, it wasn't too good. So this is this is Hey, this is a way to reintroduce yourself to your fan base. But I mean, going back to Alvin Kamara. Was really kind of startling about him is the fact that he is a guy that has a name for himself in the National Football League, but he has never had a one thousand yard season as a rusher. Never It's that total scrimmage yards that heate cumulative. It's the cumulative that he does in his ability to get the ball out in the flat as a receiver. He reminds me a lot. He reminds me a lot of a guy by the name of Ricky Waters. You remember Ricky Waters.
Speaker 2: He was Marshall Fall, Roger Craig.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: So guys like that that are able to victimize you once you get out of the flat, and I think they look for all of the things that we know about Mike Zimmer and his history as a head coach and a defensive coordinator. Sometimes he leaves those underneath those flats to open, right, so you.
Speaker 2: Know that's something that they are going to be looking at.
Speaker 4: And obviously, the offensive coordinator for the Saints, he also coached under Mike Zimmer. So that familiarity if you just man anytime you look at these matchup looks at the coaching matchups as well, a lot of these guys are familiar with each other.
Speaker 2: I think that's so key.
Speaker 3: So you know what, you know, the tendency, you know, the favorites right there, So that that ability to get out there and coach and get that stuff done.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: Hey, let's get our first break in here, Chris. A lobby can be a problem, can be a problem. It wasn't a believer it or not wasn't a problem last week at Off of Carolina. But the Cowboys are going to get some Chrystal lobby. Let's dive into that and how they defend it next right here on the Players I was brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: Are you the twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Fan of the Year. The Dallas Cowboys and Captain Morgan are celebrating extraordinary, inspiring and original fans. Nominate yourself or the biggest Cowboys fan you know for a chance to be named the twenty twenty four Fan of the Year and win prizes including a trip to Super Bowl fifty nine. Visit Dallascowboys dot Com slash Fan of the Year, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Hey there, Cowboys Nation.
Speaker 8: Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and.
Speaker 2: Off the reels.
Speaker 8: Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys theme casino games developed by Aristocrat A. Brown, sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred Gambler at twenty hundred gam b l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 5: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they snapper.
Speaker 9: The press guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 2: He escaped slapped. He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 5: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 9: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 5: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 5: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 8: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack black and Right Now. Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order, plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lifball. Make a play for the Playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the Code Cowboys VIP. That's get Jack Black dot COM's slash Cowboys with the Code Cowboys v I.
Speaker 2: Plight to the Players.
Speaker 4: Loude Yetti Official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Sir Heckman Harrison players last number two, keep it simple, stupid tail game. It is positive. Let me get that backpack though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was talking to you. Get sea, sir.
Speaker 2: Give right. Former Cowboys safety Very church On Scruggs. It's Wednesday.
Speaker 3: Cowboys are back at it, getting ready to face the New Orleans Saints.
Speaker 2: Uh at home.
Speaker 3: Rooted is the team model, Yes, Sir, rooted, mud rooted, trying to get rooted back home for the home games. After that last wild Card game, I mean the cow Boys handle business against the Browns.
Speaker 2: Okay, fans were leaving there. They're like, they're eating your dogs. You got the dog found eating the dogs? They left, So that was hilarious. Man watching fanly like, man, we were out, got something else to do.
Speaker 3: On Sunday, I was actually watching Wow. Rarely do I watch the newscast when I go into town, but I used to work in Cleveland, so I turned it on. Man, they were hyping this. I mean they had the weather man into all kinds of folks. Was all braskt. This was Saturday night, Saturday night, baby, all ready to go. Last year, We're good at home. I was like, wow, okay, I forgot, you know, it's been a minute since I've been working in Cleveland, and just kind of thinking, okay, they and poured all into it, man, drinking the kool aid. And then the team went out there and did that fants booting my halftimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah, I know, like got you back back.
Speaker 3: Again, same old things, same old thing in Cleveland. So we them boys fans were happy. You should have seen all the folks on the plane. By the way, I'm like, say, did you wash.
Speaker 2: The shirt from yesterday?
Speaker 3: You just reward again because folks were out here. It was it was a lot more. There was a lot of them wearing the gear there, but it was like double extra double on the way back. And that's something did they have it on going?
Speaker 4: They did, they did, but it was doubled on that. There's a lot of people trumping, tiptoeing back on the train. It's a lot of tip toes. It's a lot of back on the train. It's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: The breakfast was full of breakfast was full of them both days on Sunday. Monday a little different. Monday a little different. So and the fun part about this week is you Saints.
Speaker 2: Fans live here. A lot of folks live.
Speaker 3: Down here, so they're gonna want to go to the game and it will be fun and I'm looking forward to it. When you talk about the Saints and they're receiving weapons, Crystal Lave, that that is, that.
Speaker 2: Is that's a blue chip player right there. He's a really good football player.
Speaker 3: And Trayvon Diggs in his first game back, got an interception. Carson the rookie had a good game, held his own out there. Heck, what are you looking for when you see Chris Olave and Derek Carr and his ability try to getting the ball? Because last week only two catches for eleven yards or seventeen yards combined.
Speaker 4: Hey, Chris o'lave from Ohio State, has had a very sneaky, silent start to his career, two back to back one thousand yard seasons, and you know, I think for all intensive purposes defenses they respect him, but they don't give him the attention that they give some of the bigger dogs in the NFL. And again he's you know, six foot, one hundred and eighty seven pounds something like that, but he is a flyer and a guy on the outside that really can victimize your defense. For me, when I watch him on tape, especially coming away from that first game versus Carolina, you see them with the motion, but also they're trying to set up those mismatches and they want to get you in one on one situation. The problem with the one on one situation is we got some guys that can go one on one with you. But the other guy that his running mate with quick Chris o'lave, is a number twenty two shah Shaheed boy.
Speaker 2: Got gol jus Man shed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And when I talk about the motion, they run him a lot in motion. They bring him back underneath the motion, but he'll go on a fade ball of you know, any of those goals or posts or anything like that. So it's like you're gonna pay a lot of attention to a Lave. But I think for coach Mike Zimmer, he's looking at this in totality and when you talk about the tight end not being there, that's gonna be big for them because he was also, okay, a big mobile target for them. So look, Qush o'lave. Like I said, man having a sneaky good start to his career. But right now, man, he's one of those guys that I think the Dallas Cowboys defense can definitely handle him at home.
Speaker 2: I'm with you on that as well.
Speaker 7: I think they can handle both he and Shaheed on the ole side, and he can take the top off of any defense. But the question is will Derek Harr have time back there to develop that deep route And you know that's what he loves to do those you know, banana seven deep posts. He loves to shush the ball out there. But I just don't know if he'll had the time back there with the rush of the Dallas Cowboys present. That's why, in my opinion with Alave, I don't think a love will be that big of a threat when you talk about deep balls because he just won't have the time back there. That's why I think it's going to be that if Moreau it plays from the concussion protocol. If he's able to play, it'll be that that box right there, It'll be Moroda tight end, It'll be Alva Kamara out of the backfield, something to get the ball out of Derek Carr's hands fast. If they watched that that Cleveland Browns game, they understand that this defense hunts man. The magic of last week versus Cleveland is those five sacks where that gave the Cowboys twelve total games since two thousand and one with five sacks and that's league leading since since twenty twenty one. Also their ability to take the ball back interceptions as well. So when the Cowboys are taking the ball back and they're hunting the quarterback, they win the game. And so we already talked about Derek Carr and his you know, he will start seeing ghosts and you can disguise those coverages. Those are some of the things that I think when I think the keys to victory is going to be being able to create mayhem, start you know, calls pandemonium, get to the quarterback cause those interceptions.
Speaker 3: Were We'll pick the games later on this week, but I look at this as a game the Cowboys must get.
Speaker 2: It's your first home game.
Speaker 3: Last time we saw you, you embarrassed yourself, threw up all over yourself out there in front of the crowd to play. You need to correct it. But you get the Ravens after this game. You need to get. You need to put two and oh in the bank and then get ready for the Ravens who lost their first game in a very good contest against the Kansas City Chiefs on Thursday night to open up the season. So to me, just looking at this thing right now, got to get to two and oh. You and I had them going one in one because we had a losing against but the heck you had a two and oh. But this to me, when I just think about this game and what it means, get the bad taste out of your mouth from last year, get this first home game, and get to two and oh because this is a team on paper, and I know paper doesn't matter. Arizona showed us last year after the Cowboys started off hot.
Speaker 2: You need to get this.
Speaker 7: And when you look at the teams like this, you gotta win the games you're supposed to win, like that's the mark of a good team, not going in there sleepwalking, not going in there and letting the team that you are better than all across the border.
Speaker 2: You look at it offensively, defensively, special teams.
Speaker 3: The weapons that we have on the special teams for this team are better than what the Saints have. And it can't be one of these games like you mentioned last year with the Arizona Josh jobs coming out here, surprising cats throwing all over the place.
Speaker 2: It can't be one of those games.
Speaker 7: And to me, Mike McCarthy has done a great job, and his senior so far here has done a great job of starting fast on teams that they're supposed to be. Outside of that Arizona game, they usually start fast and they're usually rolling. So I'll give Hi kudos to that. He does a great job of getting this team ready.
Speaker 4: What scares me is twelve o'clock game, like you talked about in the word sleepwalk, and we don't that's what that has been the one thing that has bit us a lot. And I don't care if it's a Denver game or just those games where you're like you come in, you're supposed to knock this team out. Next thing you know, it's halftime and you're in a dog fight and being able to whatever he's made and understanding that. I really think Mike McCarthy really has a handle on that with this team that has so much talent on it. But you can't allow these guys to start slow, especially like you said, in a game that you're suppose you're supposed to come in and dominate. You can't be sloppy. You can't have any blown coverage. Although you have a ton of rookies out there and a bunch of first year players.
Speaker 3: So so heckman, let me bounce off what you just said there. Put it over to you, Barry.
Speaker 2: Here are the rookies your first home game on the road.
Speaker 3: You're not trying to deal with a bunch of tickets and everything else, but it's your rookie game here at home. Family wants to fly in, they want to come see. What advice would you give as a veteran to the rookie players, is they get ready for a game number one at home and you know everybody wants to come celebrate you.
Speaker 2: If the one thing I would say is you got to lock in.
Speaker 7: As far as when you get to the hotel room, don't go because you get you know, after meetings, you get a couple of hours before curvey. Don't go back to the house, you know, don't go sitting there, you know, hanging out with the family and all that.
Speaker 2: It's great, you.
Speaker 7: Could catch them after the game, but make sure you lock in, stay at the hotel when you get up in the morning, go straight from the hotel to the stadium. There's no because you know, that's what what we did when we was with the wake up in the morning, you did your meetings, and you went back to the house, hung out for a little.
Speaker 2: Bit the stium. None of that. Don't do none of that twelve o'clock game, even on a twelve game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because it would because wouldn't even have morning meetings doing a twelve o'clock game. You just the first thing, you get up, get some breakfast. Then you would have some time to go kick it or whatever, hang out at the house with the family, and then go to the game. Least that's what the veterans did. But they're way out here now. I think they stay over at the Omni, so it ain't like you can just go bang from the omniy all ways to your stadium.
Speaker 2: So just lock in and that's all you got to do.
Speaker 7: And when it comes to Zimmer and his coaching staff, he strikes me as a guy that's no nonsense, Like, look, man.
Speaker 2: We're not here to play games. We're here this is business. Come in here. Lock in.
Speaker 7: When you get to that locker room, lock in. There's no games being played. Guys chirping all over the place. Lock into what you got to do and handle your responsibilities. That's that's at least with the coach I see from my Zimmah.
Speaker 4: We've gotten so much what we've got, I think, and we haven't talked enough about this guy from week one is Eric Hendricks and the job that he's done defensively in this first this being his first home game as a Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 2: Dallas Cowboy fans.
Speaker 4: Get to see finally some good linebacker play and the guy that is just I mean like he's doing every I mean, he had a tackle for a loss, an interception of sack. I mean that's crazy, like to debut as a player. So like it's players like that that I'm really excited for. Not only the rookies. But guys that's been in the league for a long time, it's getting the opportunity to play in at and T Stadium.
Speaker 3: Yes I do, And Barry thank you for that, because I think it's one of those unknown things people just don't talk about it a whole lot.
Speaker 2: But the family that wants to be a part of your first opportunity and go to the stadium with you, come pick us up and we'll all go to the stadium.
Speaker 3: But I think you bring up a very good point. If you tell a young guy don't go home because it's an early game, you're gonna have all night. By the time five six o'clock comes, Man, you'll be able to go home and just relax and enjoy. Soak it all in. You want to do it with a win. You don't want to do it right. You don't want to do that. You want to get that in there. Let's get a break in here. Jake Ferguson gonna mis some time here. Yeah, where's playing B? You want to go to your Heck?
Speaker 2: Wanta go? Heck?
Speaker 3: What do you think in playing B should be here for the Cowboys moving forward? He's heck Maharrison's Bury Church. I he schresched players. Line is brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming. Right here on Dallascowboys dot com radio.
Speaker 6: I'm Cowboys alumni Danny mccraig here with Smoothie King asking what's that sound. That's the sound of me sipping one of their powerpacks smoothies with over ten grams of ProTeam with real fruits and organic veggies.
Speaker 2: Because that's Smoothie King. What you see is what you sip.
Speaker 6: So grab a delicious Smoothie King Smoothie, throw a straw in your jaw, and get sipping real Smoothie King, the official smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 10: To kick off the twenty twenty three NFL season, Hugo Boss teamed up with the NFL and Micah Parson to launch an iconic apparel collection featuring hoodies, crews, T shirts, polos, joggers, and more. The bowld unique apparel of the Boss NFL collection unites football and fashion while reflecting what it truly means to be a boss. Get yours today at nflshop dot com, slash Hugo Boss, at Hugo Boss dot com and at Boss retail stores hashtag be your Own Boss.
Speaker 8: Hey there, Cowboys Nation. Kyle Yeoman's here sharing that same team that brought you Buffalo. Bringing NFL casino games that show America's team on and off the reels. Aristocrat is changing the game with a new experience football fans. This means you can pick your team and play your team. Check out the Cowboys themed casino games developed by Aristocrat, A Brown sponsor of the Dallas Cowboys. Gambling problem, Please contact the US National Problem Gambling Helpline at one eight hundred Gambler that's one eight hundred gamb l e R for twenty one over.
Speaker 9: Raising Kaines presently.
Speaker 2: Other rules of football.
Speaker 9: Rule one, any broadcast without the extra press edition of cook to Order Cane's Chicken Fingers is prohibited.
Speaker 2: Rule twelve no crinkled.
Speaker 9: Cut fries, Texas toast or cravable cane sauce constitutes an illegal formation. And Rule thirty one anybody who loves to feed their game face is an eligible receiver of Caines when it comes to winning game day Canes. Rules raising Canes Chicken Fingers one love Go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: To the Players.
Speaker 4: Lounge, the Texas a and m Aggie's in the Arkansas Razorbacks return to AT and T Stadium on September twenty eighth in the Southwest Classic. Don't miss your chance to catch the highly anticipated annual match up. Tickets are on sale now at seat geek dot com, the official ticketing partner of AT and T Stadium.
Speaker 2: What day is that again? Twenty eighth? Twenty eighth? Okay, I'll miss it, I'll miss it. But poor so what Jerry, Jerry gotta keep Jerry Keith Olsen this thing. It ain't been good in a while.
Speaker 3: I mean, A and N keep fire coaches, but they still beat Arkansas. Poor Jerry, like Jerry to be able to just roll out there one time at home.
Speaker 2: You know, you build this big old thing.
Speaker 3: He got your tea on there like every year. Man, Jim Bow coming here and winning. It did still get fired? Go right, you know they aven't got fired. We still can't beat this dude.
Speaker 4: So man, they got a hometown hero man, just Quintin Jackson playing running back from Duncanville High School, Arkansas.
Speaker 2: Farkuss man, come on now, he's starting, Yeah, show some love. What is it?
Speaker 4: What are they saying about it? I don't even know what their whole thing is but garkasas the.
Speaker 3: iSIG so pig nickiet men to catch up on all that stuff. Good used to be used to be good back in the day. Man, it's been been while moving to the SEC. Did it helped them financially? But winning One of the problems is, and I actually talk to Steven Jones about it. Once Stephen played out there, the Texas talent went down.
Speaker 2: So there's two.
Speaker 3: Schools that I think about when they moved out of that, the the old Southwest Confers Slash Big twelve that lost you know who pipe right the pipeline.
Speaker 2: Arkansas lost the pipeline.
Speaker 3: And then Nebraska they used to be cold, and Colorado had a huge pipeline in Houston. So you know, that's gonna be interesting to see what happens here with some of these other moves here. But but now you know, since Texas has joined the SEC. Now A and M's in the SEC in Oklahoma, I think they'll I think Arkansas will be okay to be able to get some folks back.
Speaker 4: I think Dennis Allen played it at yes he did, was in the old Southwestern Conference.
Speaker 2: Dan Dan the wrecking crew. So what they have two.
Speaker 3: Coach two A and m coaches in the league, Dennis ount A and m and then Dan Campbell.
Speaker 2: How about that represent us? Yes, nobody from Texas.
Speaker 4: From Texas, they'll do that. The Chill Man and Chill his own one. Did you see him on the sideline of the Michigan game? First off free ticket, off the top ticket.
Speaker 3: Then he talked about yourself in the media match, Then got got blessed with a sideline pass and he just didn't have a side. He had a sideline pass that allowed him to be on the sideline the entire game.
Speaker 2: So he can go up and it wasn't like he's very restricted. He can go anywhere.
Speaker 3: I mean, those are those kinds of passes are fun.
Speaker 2: Okay. I got one of those at TCU.
Speaker 3: Man, you just walk around, just go wherever you want to, you know, over there on the Colorados on the Colorado sideline, hanging out for a little bit, and walked over to teach.
Speaker 2: He just walked all over the stadium. You're gonna hear on the sidelines.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I said, man, it was fun, just you just kind of just chilling, just bouncing around doing that thing. Somebody else were gonna go TCU game this weekend. I was like, yeah, yeah, if I go, I'll go. Yeah, you gotta sit with me? No what sit up?
Speaker 2: Hide and stands? Who for what I mean?
Speaker 3: Be two places, one in the press box, eating in that little founders area.
Speaker 4: Yeah, eating, or I'm gonna be down on the here you know where to be. No, you're taking to somebody else like, no, I don't need your tickets. I'm good brown the words guy, Man, you can't even He's just trying to be friendly.
Speaker 2: They come to the game with me. You want to sit down? Who does that?
Speaker 3: They already knew that anyway, that's the thing. You already know how. I've already told you how I go. Brother, That man is bougie. Get your hands. That's fat, hands off of me. Go ahead, what he gets you want to, I don't do that. It'll be like that, man.
Speaker 4: Folks sometimes just you know, trying to do some some commoner stuff.
Speaker 2: You can sit down.
Speaker 3: Man, you know, there's nothing like being on those I know you. I know you broadcast a lot of games, but being on.
Speaker 2: That to see how fast.
Speaker 3: And see the hits, man, it is it's something. It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: That's that's the thing. I hate.
Speaker 3: What the NFL has done to us. We used to be able to be on the sidelines the entire game. I was on the sideline against Washington for Aikman's final game when when the bar Arrington hit him right.
Speaker 2: Over and down the side line and you saw him. It was not it was a lick. When I saw the he out, Yeah, no, it was like he done, I Barry.
Speaker 3: It was one of those times I tell people to see a man and you know how big the bar areapresents that big running that fast.
Speaker 2: And the old astro turf too right, old concrete Texas.
Speaker 4: But then you see then then you realize when you meet Troy Aikman, how big Troy.
Speaker 2: I was surprised big.
Speaker 3: I was surprised this so so for Arrington, who was even bigger and more chisel.
Speaker 2: It was just like to watch.
Speaker 3: Professional football and college shoeing, except but to watch it at that level on the field, to see the hits and to be up close and professional boxing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's different. It was a lot faster than you see it on TV.
Speaker 4: And I think there's people that, I mean, these are split seconds that these guys like that.
Speaker 2: It doesn't do it justice.
Speaker 3: It just it just doesn't it's like going to a NASCAR race or an Indy car race.
Speaker 2: You have to be there to see the speed. You know, Oh wow, you shocked me.
Speaker 7: It was a first time playing against Adrian Peterson back when he was with Minnesota. When you talk about coming, man, that do used to go through the whole one hundred miles an hour and if you didn't guess right, you either getting ran over or you're getting.
Speaker 2: Shook out your shoes.
Speaker 3: Like just watching him because my rookie year I got to play, well, I got to play a little bit here and there on special teams, but just watching him go through that line and.
Speaker 2: Just explode and just go through people, it was. Man. He wasn't you know, born, he was created. It was I was like, man, what is this? It was.
Speaker 7: It was definitely a welcome to the NFL moment when when I to go against that dude.
Speaker 4: His speed, that's the way that guy was built was was completely different.
Speaker 2: I can only imagine.
Speaker 4: And then on top of that, Adrian Peterson was sixty three yeah, yeah, six, Yeah, he's a bigger guy than you expecting the way that he runs. Also, I mean you go back to a guy like Adrian Peterson to Eric Dickerson and guys that came from that era. But I mean, I'm sure like you talk about it when you talk about Ricky Williams, and that was at the end of his career, Ricky with the one two steps I cut. These These are players that obviously, you know, you you see these guys on TV, you win them, see them win heismans. But then when you see them in actual action, like guys like Reggie Bush, you know, being there being phild level and seeing a Reggie but was like, that's different quickness.
Speaker 2: That guy's, like I said, not boring. He was created. You're right, because because when you see it like he he's different.
Speaker 3: Remember the first time I saw Peter Warick in Los Angeles, Oh, it was just like I mean, and he didn't have the kind of career was having to go to Bengals. He didn't have the current of career you thought. But when you saw him on the oh, he was different. And then I saw Walter.
Speaker 2: Jones, Walter Jones office line.
Speaker 3: Walter Jones office floor state like a Black stormtrooper. And Pad was like, oh, good luck done, No you go here, just direct, No, not.
Speaker 2: Today, black stuck.
Speaker 3: You're not getting to the death Star. I mean, you just saw I saw, I saw it was that floor was a Florida State team. I in'd up winning national championship, but it was it was Peter Warck, it was Walter.
Speaker 2: You just like, Okay, they're different.
Speaker 3: Now that that was one of those days where it was a ton of dudes who got drafted.
Speaker 2: Okay, bunch of dudes who got drafted. Wink.
Speaker 3: He ended up winning a Heisman Trophy. Chris Claibornes the linebacker for US when Bucket swept. Brian Kelly ended up winning a championship with Tampa. That saw a lot of dudes out there. But you was like, yeah, those two, yeah different, they're different. And of course Walter Jones ended up going to the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But just what you said, you see, you got a he he's not like, he's not like USNA.
Speaker 2: He different.
Speaker 3: And when you see special guys like that, that's the cool part of the job. And that's why I do love being on the field, because you when you see it like that, everybody's good. And when you see somebody who's.
Speaker 7: Like NA, Like I got the line up against Randy my rookie year, and I was like, first of all, we had this dumb package where let's put the young safety at corner so he can get a jam on this guy.
Speaker 2: Man, this dude came trotting out to my side. I'm like, bro, what my knees shaking?
Speaker 4: Pittsburgh. I'm looking up. You know, I was right there with Randy, this new tower over me.
Speaker 2: He looking at me. He point I forget who the quarterback might have been, Christian Ponder or something. He looked. He pointed you.
Speaker 4: I'm sitting there extremely disrespected. So glad Twitter I was over there.
Speaker 9: Ship.
Speaker 2: I'm thank goodness was a run player.
Speaker 3: I'm a rookie. I'm out here all by myself. This package was I help over time.
Speaker 2: I just pee down. This dude's get that track. I'm about to be on the videos. I'm about to be I'm about to get mossed. Thank goodness. It was a run.
Speaker 4: He got on the line. I'm like, oh snap, and you know you want something off hurt. But luckily he was just messing with me. You looked back like he just laughed. It was like, I ain't gonna be like, hey, young free bird.
Speaker 2: He got off the line. Bird, he put that arm up I'm like, oh no, it's it was a rough place. He started laughing like you.
Speaker 4: I was like, man, get me off of this field right now, get me out of here, Thank God, thank.
Speaker 2: Hell, give me back leg. My plan B for chake first.
Speaker 4: Right now is pray. You know, I'm you know what, Hunter Lifkey Hunter Lifty. We talked about him, and we talked about him as I'm talking about blocking. Okay, as far as the blocking packages, but also schoolmaker. We've we've been you know, he's a high draft pick, a guy that you've been waiting to see that production from, and you're trying to replace one hundred and two catches last season. So look, I am personally happy that this man did in the sprink like it's not an ACL because when he went down, I thought, I thought, I was like.
Speaker 2: That's the end.
Speaker 4: Look like when that knee jam up, like and I was preparing for I was preparing for the worst man. But when he came back and said, God is good, and you realize that it's just an MCL. Even though that's not like work. He still has to come back and try and regain his strength in that leg and also his speed. But I think where you go here is you rely on Schoolmaker and also Stevenson. We've been waiting to see this guy, the tight end that everybody's been talking about. He just hadn't got his time yet.
Speaker 7: Man, give me spam forward, me give me spay Ford It okay, I mean, but what he was able to do blocking wise, at least against the Browns to me, you show promise big dudes six seven two point fifty out there. He's not gonna route nobody up. He might not be able to get you a catcher too, but he's going to make sure that that line of scrimmage is where it needs to be at.
Speaker 3: So give me spam forward in there, and then you're gonna have to rely on the three wide receivers to be in your passing targets. All right, to be continued on the next episode of the Players Lines.
Speaker 2: Hec Ma Harrison in Good Chat Church, Great Insights.
Speaker 3: nowI Scruggs Players Lounge, brought to you by Aristocrat Gaming five days a week right here on Dallas Cowboys dot Com Radio for the great producer Chris Bean, Jazz Josh, Everybody's a part of it. We'll talk to you next time on Dallascowboys dot Com Radio.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.