Speaker 1: This story contains adult content and language, along with references to sexual assault. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: It starts praying that God take care of us, fix this for me, and after a period of time, God has it fixed it. So you said, well, if God's not going to help me, I'm going to reach out to say.
Speaker 1: I'm Kate Winkler Dawson, a nonfiction author and journalism professor in Austin, Texas. I'm also the host of the historical true crime podcast tenfold More Wicked and the co host of the podcast Buried Bones on Exactly Right. I've traveled around the world interviewing people for the show and they are all excellent writers. They've had so many great true crime stories, and now we want to tell you those stories with details that have never been published. Tenfold More Wicked presents Wicked Words is about the choices that writers make, good and bad. It's a deep dive into the stories behind the stories. Best Selling author and my buddy Brian Burrow returns to his small town, Texas roots in the podcast by Texas Monthly called Stephenville. This season, he explores a murder case that went cold for nearly two decades to tell this amazing story. Brian is armed with the newly discovered diary of the killer himself. A trigger warning here we do talk about a serial rapist and killer. Let's dip into how you came across with the story, and then we can move from there.
Speaker 2: I had all but retired from any type of magazine journalism. The economics of it aren't as compelling as they used to be. I'm sixty one and not looking for as much work outside books as I used to be. But I got an email from a TV producer on Forensic File. We did a show on a cold case killing in Stephenville, Texas a few years back, and the lead detective found something new. Found that the bad guy left behind a two hundred page autobiographical essay that for the first time, told the story of fairly well known events from his point of view. He had spent his entire life denying it all, and this was a fairly run of the mill bad guy who wrote kind of an extraordinary document that traced the development of his internal angers, passions, sexual proclivities from the age of eight through early teen, through his twenties into adulthood, as well as dealing with the stories of the crimes that he committed. So I thought, gosh, we've got a very different take on the story.
Speaker 1: So set the scene. Where are we when this story starts.
Speaker 2: Well, it starts with a murder, and that's kind of the best way to introduce the cat characters. In July nineteen eighty seven, in Stephenville, Texas, which is southwest seventy miles southwest of Fort Worth, supervisor at a sandpaper called a man in town and says, your daughter has not showed up for work two days in a row. And his name was Joe Atkins. And Joe went on over to his daughter's little white bungalow, a little rendered white bungalow there in the Old Air area of Stephenville, walked up to the front door, found at a jar, went in and found his daughter, Susan Woods, naked on the floor of the bathroom with her upper body plunged into a tub full of black water.
Speaker 1: How long had she been in the bathtub?
Speaker 2: Two days? Last scene on Sunday night. They found on a Tuesday night, Susan Woods in the summer of nineteen eighty seven was a very quiet young woman, a factory worker who had grown up in Stephenville. Quiet as a child, didn't date close to her parents. Everybody said, you know, she was just the sweetest thing, just nice to everybody, a little trusting, a little naive. Graduated from Stephenville High with honors, and within a year or two, having at that point going to work for a nursing home, she met a young man, a newcomer to town named Michael Woods. And Michael came from El Paso. This was the late seventies. You know, Susan was five to seven, long brown hair. Michael was a little shorter, but very attractive, certainly to Susan. And the most notable thing about Michael was at a time when rural Texas was not only as conservative as it may be today, but it was kind of pushing back against the excesses of the sixties. Michael had long hair, and he was a musician. He stood out in town Stephenville. Keep in mind, is bills itself as the cowboy capital of the world. It is a town then and now where you know cowboy hats, ffa jackets, close crop hair are most common, and Michael Woods stood out. Michael was actually just visiting, kind of hanging around unemployed as he tended to be most of the time, wanted to be a position, but nobody in Stevenville wanted to hear rock and roll. Let me tell you, they might listen to Johnny Cash back in the days. And Michael stayed to be with Susan, and he hated. He had a bit of an attitude because, especially when he grew a beard, you know, he got picked on. People would call him fur face and stuff. And Michael did not look like anybody else in town. He wore a leather jacket, engineer boots, and he drove Harley. Michael was also not one to suffer any type of abuse. If you said something insulting to Michael, he would pop in the mouth. He was repeatedly in fights, rarely in a job. He worked at a sonic, he worked in a cornfield, I mean all sorts of jobs that just never really took. And after about a year or two of this, around nineteen eighty, he said, I can't take it anymore. I've got a job offered from an uncle. I think he ran an auto repara shot back in l Passo. Come with me to l Passol, was trying to make a go up there. Susan had never been outside Stephenville, but she thought it sounded like a grand adventure, right, So they go to Steveville, and for whatever reason, the job fell through, and within a matter of weeks they are living in what Susan famously said in wonder her letters home on bacon bit sandwiches. They're not quite living out of the car, as one report had it, but Michael said they were living in an apartment with no furniture. When they couldn't make that happen, they moved in with his mother and that didn't go real well either, and they ended up coming back. So by let's say early eighty one, they're back in Stephenville. Michael continues to act out. I've got police reports of fights he got into. He was not happy there. He had family in Indianapolis, brother, and at least once, and it sounds like twice, he moved up to Indianapolis and she came with him. And then Susan was just never happy away from Stephenville for whatever reason, maybe being far away from family or just smalltown Texas. It has it's a lure. She went up to Indianapolis, stayed with him a time or two, and came back and Michael says, you know, during their about roughly five years of marriage, he was gone about half the time. By the summer of eighty six, they had moved into this little white bungalow by downtown and they were trying to make a last go of it. As Michael tells that, the final straw was he had had some success flipping cars, buying a used car, fixing it up and reselling it. He wanted to do this with Holmes. Apparently his brother was doing that in Napolis, and he thought he could do it too. Unfortunately, Michael had no money, and Susan, who is by now working in sandpaper factory, didn't really want to invest her money in Michael's new venture. Michael accused her of emasculating him and taking away his only livelihood, and so he left. There was a series of letters between them. It was heartbreaking because they were not angry at each other. They loved each other. They both said they want to be with each other, but she couldn't live outside at Stephenville and Michael couldn't make it work in Stephenville. He came back one last time in February of eighty seven, and this would be now four months before her murder, and it didn't take and he didn't stay. There's a letter in the DA's files in which one of her co workers said, basically, he gave her an ultimatum, me or Texas. She chose Texas.
Speaker 1: Did you get a sense that Michael was physically abusive emotionally abusive?
Speaker 2: I talked extensively with Susan's three closest friend, her best girlfriend, the girlfriend's husband, and another young woman. Who were the three people who went through all this with him, And they said no, Michael was always kind to her. Did they have arguments, yes, but no, nothing unpleasant until the end, until February eighty seven. In februaryy seven, when Michael came back for their final attempt at or Approchemont, he left. He took a bunch of her things, and most important thing was he took their yellow Mustang. And so for the next four months after he left, she worked six days a week to trying to raise money to get a new car. She was having to have friends take her to work. But when Michael left, he left behind two things. He left behind a series of folded up little paper notes that he put in cabinets. He put in shirt pockets you put in her underwear drawer, and they were just all about what a sea word she was, what an awful person, how this was all her fault. Her parents hated him from the word go. Michael tells these stories of the father threatening with a gun and things like this. But even worse, Michael left behind a thirty minute cassette tape in which he excoriated Susan in the most unpleasant way for breaking up the marriage, for not allowing him to be a man. And at one point Susan was so shaken she called in the three friends, Roy, Cindy her best friend, and Gloria. It said, I've got to go to work. Can y'all listen to this and just tell me if I'm crazy because that this scares me? And they were all deeply shaken. And by that night Roy Hayes wonderful guys still alive, came over, nailed all her windows shut, gave her a gun, and Cindy for about the next month slept on her couch. Look. Nobody knew Michael to be violent. The fights that he would get in always seemed to be some guy would insult in me. It was like Michael was out picking fights with people. So despite the fist fights he'd gotten, and nobody really thought of him as a violent guy. But the fact, does they anyone to find out if he had that in it?
Speaker 1: Was there contact between the two of them between February when this escalates in July when her father finds her dead.
Speaker 2: No physical contact. We believed that there might have been a phone call or too. I think Michael dimly remembers a phone call in the letter, but nothing really of significance. Once Michael left, she went to a divorce attorney and filed the horse papers and so between Februar of eighty seven when he left, over the next three or four months, it was a pretty dark time for Susan. Initially, she's working six days a week, trying to get a car. I mean, this is just basic stuff. She's thirty years old, she's never really lived on her own. She either lived with her parents or then with Michael, off and on, and it's a tough time for her. She doesn't really have time to socialize. And then after about out three months, say in the maytime frame, things begin to light. She realizes her life is probably not at risk from Michael. He hasn't showed up to Killer. She goes out one night with a group of work friends to the nearby town of Granbury. Stephenville was dry at the time and flirted with a bartender, and he started coming over a couple of three Friday nights, watched TV on the couch. On the fourth one they had sex, and the next day or so, after a day, Susan calls up another girlfriend and said, oh my god, you've got to come down here. She was hysterical, and she came down and Susan had dark marks all over her neck. JC apparently had gotten a little carried away and given her a series of hickeys. And it's a measure of Susan's modesty and Stephenville's modesty. She was paralyzed with fear of going out in town and having people see this and think she was that type of girl. By the end of May, you know, she was able to get a new car. Roy and Cindy, who are now married all these years later, thirty five years later, noticed that she was brightening a little. There came a night in late July when they said, hey, we're going We're taking one of Cindy's young cousins over to a carnival in a nearby town called Hiko. Why don't you come on with us, it'd be good for you to get out, And so she went on over there and they didn't have much fun for whatever reason. So they came on back and Roy said, tay, what, I'll make it better. Let's all go to Dairy Queen. So they went to Dairy Queen and Susan, who was demure, careful about her physical appearance, had a hot fudge Sunday and then she did something Cindy said she'd never seen or done in her entire life, and these kids had been best friends from like twelve thirteen. She had another hot fish Sunday and smiled, and Cindy doesn't remember the exact words, but it was very clear that she was turning a corner. She could see a path forward for herself and her life, and four nights later she was found dead.
Speaker 1: So her father finds her submerged partially in this bathtub. She's been sexually assaulted. It's summer of eighty seven. He calls the police. I have to assume is that the first thing that happens.
Speaker 2: He steps into the living room, calls him on the house phone and then steps out into the yard which is pitch dark, and pretty much the whole Stephenville Police force shows up. You know. There was clearly pretty nasty struggle in the bedroom. The bedroom was topsy turvy. The mattress was off the box springs and the pillows were strown everywhere, and the beding was strown everywhere, and there was an electrical cord that it was laying across the bed with the plug in on the floor. When they squatted down the side her and lifted her head, they saw a red ligature mark. He was suspected that perhaps the cord had been used on her. As they studied the crime scene, the one thing that stood out was there's no sign of forced entry in a house with a you know, everything nailed shut. It looked from all angles as if Susan had invited her murder into the house. And on the living room table there were six cigarette buts in an ash tray and an open cann of coke, suggesting that perhaps she had sat and had some cigarettes with whoever it was. But that was it. You know. They canvassed the neighborhood. They went up and down the street, nobody had seen anything strange. It was Sunday night. It was a quiet Sunday night in Stephenville, Texas.
Speaker 1: So what happens next? The investigators, we would assume, would look at her inner circle first and find out she has an ex husband.
Speaker 2: Funny thing happened the next morning. There was a lieutenant on the force who announced to the gathering the next morning in the police department that nobody else needed to work the case. He was going to take it on himself. And I talked with an officer who was in the room that day, I said, what was that about? He said, the guy just wanted to be a hero. He knew we don't have a lot of cases like that, and he was looking to move up. This guy's name was Ken Maltby, and I'm sure he was otherwise a terribly effective policeman. Early on, from all indications, Lieutenant Maltby focused on Michael Woods. The Atkins family, Susan's maiden name was Atkins. Was absolutely I mean, it was just obvious Michael Woods has done this. I mean she was living with the guy in town, right obviously. Hello. He somehow came back and Maltby and a Texas Ranger went up to Indianapolis. Within forty eight hours of the killing. They had reached out to Indianapolis PD to interview him, and they had there had been some interviewing, but he denied everything and didn't seem to want to be cooperative. They confronted him in his front yard and he declined to go back to Texas, and so Lieutenant Wontby and the Ranger came back to Texas and about a month later, Lieutenant Maltby was transferred onto a narcotic squad to supervisor narcotic squad. And you know, by the first week of October, and this is two and a half months after the killing, it's orphaned. There's nobody assigned to take this over. So what happened is one of the original officers, the guy who canvassed the bedroom, Donny Hensley, said well, I'll take it on in a spare time, and he went to look for Maltby's notes or to debrief, and he couldn't get Maltby to talk with him, and he couldn't find any notes, and Donny said, I don't know what's tell you. I'd start over from scratch, and he pretty much did. For the next couple of months, you know. He does his best to widen the focus of the investigation. He discovers the bartender in Granberry. By the way, I didn't mention they've got prince in the bathroom and on the coke can. He goes and fingerprints and gives light of detector tests to the bartender. He passes. He then brings in Roy Hayes, the best girlfriend's husband, the guy who nailed the windows shut. And Roy was a little iffy in the eyes of Stephenville because he played dungeons and dragon, which back in those days carried the faint whiff of the Satanic. Now Roy's a big old boy, nice kid. Roy says, okay, I'll take your light detector test. Sure, So they take him down to Waco to a ranger station for a light detector test. Does that for about an hour, walks out and Donnie says, you did it. You did not pass, And Roy's like, I did not I did anything to do this. He said, These machines do not make a mistake. Roy, I know you did it. This is just the way it is. About that moment, the door opens behind him and the ranger who took the test comes out. And says, congratulations, mister Hayes, you passed. To this day, nobody knows what the mix up was. At that point, Donny Hensley doesn't have a bunch of suspects, and you know, everybody in town is saying Roy Hayes, what he nuts? Everybody knows. Everybody knows it's Michael Woods. And so Donnie rededicates himself to hounding Michael Woods, who remains out of state outside in Indianapolis. He shows his picture picture of the yellow Mustang to every service station in the county that rings no belts with anyone. Finally he realizes he's got to take the case to Indianapolis, so he goes up there and the Indianapolis PD gives him a fancy surveillance van that actually has one of these like a submarine periscope out the top, so you can sit in the back of this van. And after a week or two of surveilling, they see Michael and his brother set out a bunch of stuff for garage sale, and they see some items that they believe they can argue we're stolen from Susan. A figure, a fur coat, this type of thing. So they swoop in the next day with an arrest warm and arrest them all because they found a roach, a marijuana roach, right you know. It led to no charges, but it gotten the one thing that Donny didn't have, which was Michael's fingerprints. They needed Michael's fingerprints. Now to this day, Michael will tell you he volunteered to give him the Prince and anything else they wanted on the proviso that it'd be done in. In the end, he wasn't going. He didn't trust Texas Comms, was not going back to rural Texas where an entire town was convinced he was the murder. He just wasn't going. For whatever reason. The Texas police wouldn't go up there and do it with him, so they felt they had to go up and get the fingerprints, which they did. They came back. Donnie on the flight back from Indianapolis with the fingerprints, he is filling out the extradition papers to bring Michael back. He's so sure that the Prince will match. Now of course I've given away they don't match, and Don's like, there's no way Michael Woods did this. How is this happening? Pretty much by the summer of eighty eight, by the time Donnie came back from Indianapolis with those prints. The investigation was over.
Speaker 1: What happens next? This case goes cold.
Speaker 2: Well, actually, what did happen was the family sued Michael Woods. He was the beneficiary on Susan's life inschurch. He was doing something like eleven thousand dollars. I think they sued him, and Michael would not go back. A judge hit him with a judgment finding hum responsible for his death and saying that he had to pay get this seven hundred thousand dollars anyway, It was never paid, obviously in part because Michael didn't come back anywhere near where they could serve him, and then the case was slowly forgotten, not by the family, not by our friends Roy and Cindy, but by the rest of the town. Stephen Villain's important note just in terms of context, it is not your classic conservative small town. It's actually a college town in the middle of farm country. Charlton State is there, and during those years following the murder, during the nineties, it saw an influx of people, but nothing happened in Susan's case. Years went by, and finally in two thousand and five, eighteen years later, Michael Woods kind of came to a breaking point. Michael never got over this. He wanted to be a musician, and he tried to His lawyer says, you can't leave this town. They'll get you. They'll get you if you leave Indianapolis. So he and his brother start doing Skinnered and Charlie Daniels around town for thirty five dollars a pop. But even that became hard after the Indianapolis newspaper ran two articles saying that he was the focus of murder investigation from Stephenville Well. Michael tried to install home alarms. He tried to do this. He tried to do that. He didn't keep a lot of jobs. What he was good at was drinking and taking every drug that anybody ever handed it. And he slowly went to a spiral. He tried therapy that didn't work. Finally, he says, by the early two thousands, after about fourteen or fifteen years, he tried to kill himself. He said he took three handfuls of tranquilizers and in a rare bit of levity from Michael's side of the story, he said, all it did was put me to sleep for three days, and I woke up still depressed. In two thousand and five, he was playing a birthday party, a friend's birthday party with his brother, and afterwards it was just about the anniversary of Susan's death, and he walked out in the backyard. He was crying, and the host, who was just an acquaintance, walked out and said, Michael, what's wrong. And he explained that it was the anniversary of his wife's death and he can't go back to a graver and thin because the whole town thinks he did it. And this woman whose name was Barbara Gary, who has the briefest of cameos in this, says, well, that's just awful. And she she goes in the next morning and gets on her computer and she fires off an email to the Stephenville Police saying, I really wish you'd figure out this for cocta case, because this poor man is falling, falling apart because you have it solved and found the actual killer. What had happened by then was a new sergeant named Don Miller had taken over looking at a handful of cold cases that they had in Stephenville, and he knew that the fingerprints didn't matage Michael had never been told. He never understood what happened. Once they took his fingerprints. Don looked at that and said, this God didn't do it. And I bet you if I'm ever going to solve it, I need him to help me solve it. Don Miller calls and Michael said, I don't want to talk to you. Don says, I understand that, but I'm your only hope of ever ending this. And so Michael says, okay, what do you want? He said, I need to come up and there's this new thing called DNA, and I need to come up and get some DNA from you. And if you didn't do it, Michael, I can clear you. You'll be able to get on with your life.
Speaker 1: What had they collected sperm samples? I'm assuming saliva.
Speaker 2: There was DNA off the coke can.
Speaker 1: And cigarettes, right, Yeah, so they had done a good job.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's one thing you can point. They did a good job. And Don said, well, I want to come up there, and Michael said yes, and then Michael said no. Don had already gotten plane tickets, so he and his buddy just went on. Anyway, they get up there and it's like January or February. You know, it's twenty five degrees in Indianapolis, and they're wearing these texts lightweight Texas sports jackets. They're freezing. When they finally found their way to a fairly modest home where Michael and his brother were living, and they get up there on the on the front porch and knock knock, and Michael actually opens the door, and Don says who he is? And Michael's like, I told you I Michael talked to you. Why are you here? Don just keeps talking. It's just the load of just Michael. We need your DNA. This is your only hopelah blah blah blah blah bah blah. And after I don't know ten fifteen minutes its Michael's like, okay, fine, take the DNA and get off the caddian porch. And Dona turns to his partner and says, okay, let's do the DNA. The problem was neither one of them had ever used DNA kit before, and the partner says, I don't really know how to do this, and Don says, are their instructions. So they read the instructions and took a cheap swab send it down to Ranger station in Waco, and it came back clear the DNA and the fingerprints didn't match. DNA didn't match, and Don was able to call Michael and say, Michael, and you're cleared, and Michael began to cry and hung up. Great news for Michael, right, Not so great news for Donald Miller. He now has no suspects. However, what he has that they didn't have in nineteen eighty seven is the FBI now has a fingerprint database. Don wanted to go to take their fingerprint card to Washington. His chief said, uh, uh, I'm not paying for you to go to Washington. Then he found out that the Rangers had access to it, so he just took the fingerprints down to Austin and gave gave him the original card and a few days later he gets a call back and he says, you got to you know, you got a penning pencil on. Don says, uh, sure. The fingerprints come back to Joseph Scott Hatley. Don writes his name down and Don asked the guy who's that and the guy says, I don't know, but it's from an arm robbery in Las Vegas, Nevada in nineteen eighty eight. This is three states away. If this Joseph Scott Hatley has any tide Stephenville. He calls the DA and says, do we know a Joseph Scott Hatley? And the DA says, you bet we do, and then Don says what he says, great case. In eighty eight he went for a grand jury and nobilly and he was long gone. No, we didn't know who he was, but his mother and I believe sister still lived in town. I wouldn't say a prominent, but they are a well known Stephenville family. His late father had owned several businesses, including a Texico station. Several of them had worked, including a sister had worked for the city. And so now Don realized I have a suspect.
Speaker 1: What is nobil?
Speaker 2: Nobil means that they took the case to a grand jury and the grand jury declined to indict.
Speaker 1: So what's the next step with Joseph Scott Hatley? What do we know about what he's doing when this is all happening.
Speaker 2: You know, he was everybody considered him just a normal kid. Beaver Cleaver born in nineteen sixty five, so it was four years younger than me. I grew up a few counties away was possessed of a burning anger incite him that he was never able to explain. He says that as early as the age of ten or eleven, he was planning a school, a Columbine style school massacre. You know, he developed thoughts of sexual and other types of vible. What really changed for him was when he was twelve thirteen, fourteen, he discovered two things that kind of became the great loves of his life. Beer, which soon became vodka. He became the type of drinker that, at least on weekends when he wasn't working, would start drinking vodka when he woke up in the morning and would still be drinking at night. In pornography. He had a stashup born in. I talked to a couple of experts and who just said, this is really really typical of somebody who acts out sexual violence. You know, nobody really saw him as anything other than a pretty normal kid. By senior year of high school, Scott had lost some of his baby fit at least learn how to talk to girls, and decided for a career he was going to go for the Air Force, a weapon specialist at basis around Texas. Then upon a high school graduation, he goes off to an Air Force training base of some type at Fort Lewis. I think it is outside Denver, And what matters for our story is that it's there that he meets his first girl. She's a quiet, serious, dark haired young woman that we never named. They both drank heavily, and Scott said it was love at first sight. And they're very young, they're very inexperienced, and on a whim they got married, and their parents and their commanding officers were pretty horrified, but they were married. She decides to join up full time. He decides not to, but they agree he'll follow her. So she gets assigned to the island of the Pacific Ocean island of Guam, and so he follows her out to Guam, and you know, they're apart full It's set couple of months. The moment they reunited, he realized the fire was, if not out, it was flickering. He says, there was a story in her eyes I couldn't read. He begins drinking even more heavily. The drinking turns to fights. She starts going out by herself, and the turning point comes one night when she came back after partying. She came back alone, and he had very strong sense, based on his read of the situation, that she'd been unfaithful and to him, it was as if his entire life had exploded and she betrayed him. In his mind, he had been raised very religious, the at least with the type of family that debated scripture at the dinner table, and so he starts praying that God take care of this, fix this for me. And after a period of time, God hasn't fixed it. So he said, well, if God's not gonna help me, I'm going to reach out to Satan. Problem was, she didn't exactly know how to reach out to Satan. He remembers that from every movie he's ever seen, it seems to always involve a lot of candles. So he gets up every candle in the house and lights them all over the living room one night while his wife is out, and prays to Satan that he will take his wife's life so that he will get her life insurance policy and he can go back to Texas. Well, that doesn't really much work. The praying to Satan seems to be pretty much a one off thing. But I will say that in the manifesto. It's something he loops back to several times, wondering if the pact that he offers satany if that explained the things that he did or in life. So he calls his mom. His mom says, come on home. He does. They divorce, and you know barely what. A couple of years after leaving home, Scott finds himself living with his parents, going back to work for his dad, driving the back roads around Stephenville, brooding in the brown pickup that his parents bought him for graduation, listening to his eight tracks of Motley Crue with no sense really of where he's going to go. The one thing I can say he tried to do too. He did two things that were kind of new. One he started asking people he wanted to reinvent himself, obviously, so he started asking people if they'd call him Joseph instead of Scott. I don't think anybody actually did that. And he invented what became his favorite drink, the thing that he would drink every evening and pretty much all day. He called it v syrup, and it was vodka, koffserup and pepsi, which he put in a forty ounce foam sonic cup, and if you're from Texas, we all know sonic cups. And he would drink this morning, noon, or night. About his only social outlet was at his sister, Regina's home. She was married at a few years older. They'd always been close. He would go over there and most nights, certainly on the weekend, Regina would convene a group of people around the round table in her kitchen. They started calling themselves members of the round Table. And it was Roy, and it was Cindy, and it was some other friends. And they would sit there and drink and play cards, because that's pretty much all there was to do in Stephenville, Texas, nineteen eighty eight. And you know, they all saw that he was drinking a lot, that he was in some distress, but they figured, you know, he'd grow out of it once his divorce went through. And that is basically the story of Scott Hatley until fateful night the middle of July nineteen eighty eight, when a new face appears at the round table in Regina's kitchen, and it's Susan Woods who showed up for one night. And in his manifesto, Scott Hatley says that they engaged in some drunken flirting both ruins and they were like, that's just crazy. He was hot, he was just drunk, but that was enough. That was the hook, the flicker, the moment that ended Susan Woods's life. About a week or ten days later, no doubt, after a long night driving around in his brown pickup drinking his v syrup, he shows up unannounced on Sunday night at Susan's home and she lets him.
Speaker 1: In what happens with Don Miller. Next he gets this hit on the fingerprint database and Joseph Scott Hatlee is just floating about right now.
Speaker 2: Right after the murder, he raped a girl and after that he had flat down thinking that he was going to be arrested for the rape, and he went to Las Vegas and ended up robbing a shoe store and they arrested him. He did about one hundred and twenty days in a youth offender program. He kept thinking, well, they're gonna come. Stephenville is gonna come in any moment and rest me for the rape, and no doubt they're going to now make the connection to the murder. They never did. He came back to Stephenville and the paranoia. Lived pretty close to the police station. He could see him coming out at six am and six pm and the cruisers. He just thought it was a matter of time. So his older brother was a long distance truck driver, and Scott moved to Nashville and became a truck driver. Apparently he did that for about five years. Says he was pretty good at it. Unfortunately, as some truck drivers do, he started taking amphetamines and ran into another truck. Lost that job, ended up as a supervisor in a grocery warehouse. You know, he started to build a life. The years went by since the murder. Five ten years, he married, he had two kids, and around nearly two thousands, he was doing well enough in his job that they offered him a transfer to be a supervisor. Apparently this was a promotion to a warehouse in round Rock, Texas, which is a suburb north of Austin. By two thousand and six, when Don matched up the fingerprints, he was a supervisor down in round Rock. You know, he worked nights and so and he slept days, and that's what he was doing that day in June two thousand and six, when Don Miller asked the round Rock police to bring him in for questioning.
Speaker 1: Is this an open and shutcase for Don Miller?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: Does he confess?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, initially Don didn't know what to make of this about Joe's Scott Hatley, and he got there the rape file from the DA and he's going through it. And I've looked at this report. It's like a four paid single space report and down deep in the middle of it the girl who he was raping and it lasted sixty eight hours in a local park out on the edge of town. She ran from him. At one point he chased her and fell on top of her and he says, you mind me or I'll kill you. And I've done it before. And when Don saw that, he realized that's the guy. So when Don shows up and round rock, he has no doubt that Joseph Scott Hatley is the guy. He gets DNA, he talks to him. Hatlee is very blase, Oh, my dad's sex Withether, I don't know. And as Don told me, if that's a red flag right there, if you're accused of murder, you're denying it up and down. You're not you know, you're not being blase about it. So Hatlee went home last that night. As he writes in his manifesto, he knew what was going to happen the next day, and this was his last time to make a run for it. He says, you know, was I stupid for going back in the next day? No, I was tired. He went back in the next day. There was a lot more questioning in that night, and when they let him go, he was out in an eye hoop with his family of four. They'd stepped into parking lot and everybody else got into a van and he stood there and lit a cigar And when he let the scar of the the round Rock cops came out and they rested him on domestic abuse case for his wife. But while he was being held on that, Don filed on him for the murder. Brought him back to Stephenville, and you know, it was at that moment that the town kind of had to come to grips with what had happened. You know, there was a different town that it had been. But you know, when Don sat down with people like Susan's father and his friends, you know, they just didn't want to believe it. They're like, well, you're just wrong. It's Michael Woods. Why haven't you gotten Michael Woods. Well, it doesn't match. It's that Joseph Scott Halley. We don't know Joseph. Well, it's Sydney Hollmark's cousin wall He's a good boy. He didn't do it. But in the end there was as we were saying in the article, there was no dramatic purple walk. There's no tiary confessions. He cut a deal for thirty years. Could have been longer, but Susan's family didn't want the attention to try.
Speaker 1: How old was he when all this happened In two thousand and six.
Speaker 2: When he was arrested, he was forty, went off to Huntsville, came down with bladder cancer, which went into a mission. They let him out after I want to say, eleven years. What. Yeah, he came out and went to Halfway House in Midland. He was serfacing trucks at the beginning of the pandemic. He was laid off and he went to live in an RV by his daughter outside Abilene, and the cancer came back and he died and a fellow bought the RV where he died, and as he was going through it found all these pictures of Don and Susan, and he found the manifesto and he gave it to Don, and Don ultimately got it to me. You know, this was not a news story. It had been on forensic files, but the manifesto. Having the manifesto, I I mean, I could actually now tell the full story. It only took me about three months to do it. I mean, it's a fairly small cast of characters, maybe eight people. And after I turned it into Texas Monthly, after a month or two after that, we started making it into a podcast.
Speaker 1: Do you believe everything in that manifesto? Do you think that this was really Joseph Scott Hatlee on a page for you?
Speaker 2: I actually kind of believe he was being honest with himself. What I have a hard time believing is that a lot of the things that he was making excuses. You know, he was an unhappy kid. Maybe his mom was mean to him a time or two, and so suddenly he blames her for an unhappy childhood, and nobody saw any of that. I did talk to one expert that said, the facts of it don't matter. What matters what he thought, what he believed. So many people who do things like this are reacting to some type of childhood powerlessness, and for whatever reason, he clearly felt that I believe the booze. I believe, I believe the porn, I believe the stuff about the marriage, and the said yeah, I believe. I believe most of this. I have to say. Running this behind all the people who were closest to him in life, you know, there was nothing to argue with factually. Now, how honest is he being about his internal landscape? That is for a reader or in this case, a listener to decide. But let's say we understood sixty or seventy percent of the facts before his manifesto. I think with the manifesto you get up to about ninety eight percent of the facts. It completed what was already a compelling story for me.
Speaker 1: Did Joe Atkins and the Atkins family finally accept that Joseph Scott Hatley was the killer and not Michael Woods, the jerk ex husband.
Speaker 2: I don't know they've passed, but I'm told they reluctantly had to. Nobody ever came back and apologized to Michael Woods.
Speaker 1: Has he turned out to be okay? Since this has happened, ish.
Speaker 2: I've reported stuff around the World for The Wall Street Journal, for Randy Fair. I've met my share of people who've been in pow camps and abuse and torture, and you know, there is that sense when you're sitting in front of someone cave that someone's been through a trauma. There was a sense when Michael that he'd been through a trauma. This was a guy who had a rough life, and so I was I wondered, how lucid is this guy going to be? And he was one hundred percent. He'd given them a lot of thought.
Speaker 1: You and I come from the same world of print. You write these stories and you have all these words where you're describing the victim, you're describing the killer, you're describing emotions. You're trying to get that across to the reader. And now we're in this audio format where you don't have to do as much explaining. You can just hear it. You can hear the laughter and the joy, you can hear the sorrow and someone's voices. It's very, I think liberating in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: It is there's no substitute for the immediacy of hearing that person's voice in your ear. And I got very, very lucky, Kate. I got very, very lucky. You know.
Speaker 1: On this show and all the shows I do, we talk a lot about the importance of focusing in on the victim, and I know that you have been able to do both. Who do we meet in the podcast? Who can illuminate Susan's character? Is it Roy and Cindy?
Speaker 2: Roy and Sindy. You're great because in their telling of Susan's life, it's not defined by what happened at the end. They prefer to remember the young woman who brought a smile on their face and their laughter, and the joy that they have of sharing with you and bringing her back to life for people who would never know her is so infectious. And the producer, at one point, the wonderful producer, Brian stanfordson, are you at all concerned that we're telling this fairly dark story and these people are in hysterics laughing about, you know, sneaking beer. I said, no, this can't be dirge and funereal. We must allow that. So I think they do the best job of illuminating the character of Susan. And then Michael, he would tell you probably that she was the only one we hear her.
Speaker 3: Love If you love historical true crime stories, check out the audio versions of my books The Ghost Club, All That Is Wicked and American Sherlock. This has been an exactly right production. Our senior producer is a Lexi Amirosi. Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed by John Bradley. Curtis Heath is our composer. Artwork by Nick Toga. Executive produced by Georgia Hardstark, Karen Kilgarriff and Danielle Kramer. Follow Wicked Words on Instagram and Facebook at tenfold more Wicked and on Twitter at tenfold More. And if you know of a historical crime that could use some attention from the crew at tenfold more Wicked, email us at info at tenfoldmorewicked dot com. We'll also take your suggestions for true crime authors for Wicked Words