Speaker 1: Sunday sampler clips from shows.
Speaker 2: We got a good one we're gonna start with.
Speaker 1: And by the way, big shout out to Dr Josie for saving my dog's life over this past week. I'm not even kidding. She had to come over at nine pm because my dog ate a whole loaf of bread and you can't have dogs eat loafs of bread because their stomach will explode. Basically, I did not know this, So big shout out to Doctor Josie because she's saved a dog's life.
Speaker 2: I hope you check out her podcast.
Speaker 1: In this week's episode of In the Vets Office, Doctor Josie talked with glam guru Tarren Feldman. She does hair and makeup for some of the biggest stars in Nashville and Hollywood. Tarren has a sixteen year old dog.
Speaker 3: You're gonna hear.
Speaker 1: About that, and Doctor Josie and Tarren talk about introducing an old dog to a new dogcause that's what Tarren had to do.
Speaker 2: So let's get started.
Speaker 1: By the way, we got some Bobby cast with Maggie Rose coming up. We got some four Things with Amy Brown sore loose. There's all that on the way. But now let's get started with the clip from in the Vets Office with Doctor Josie.
Speaker 4: You're listening to in the Vets Office with doctor Josie Horchak.
Speaker 5: It's interesting you say, like, I do think there's a huge portion to having to advocate for your own pet, and honestly, in human medicine too, you have to advocate for yourself. Yeah, and it's because it is at the end of the day, like you're working with these massive hospital systems and people that don't know your animals like you do. And so I think, I'm sorry you had that experience, but I do understand like having to advocate for your own animals. And I hope that some of the time that you got with her and like doing that surgery, like she would not have had those two months if you hadn't done it.
Speaker 6: So hopefully, no, I mean you got more time either way. I got a little bit more time that I really didn't know. I thought they were like you could She'll probably last till December, which was around my birthday, which was my fortieth birthday. So I was gonna go to BALI I was gonna do all stuff, and I just put everything on hold, which is not a big deal. I could care less. But and then I just lost her like so much sooner. I was like, oh yeah, you're like damn, yeah, I know, but you just you just don't know. And I would have done it the same way again. Yeah, Like the end of her life was like so peaceful and so like what a great like you you only hope that you can like have your pet die in your arms, or I do at least, Yeah, like I don't. Some people can't handle or they think they can't, but they can.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: But that's like my hope is that, like all my dogs just die in my office.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely, with the person they love the most. Yeah, are kind of ushering them out of this world. Yeah, because ultimately they're the most comfortable in your arms.
Speaker 6: Right, so far, I've had that's happened with Leila and Twila. Yes, yes, I'm so grateful.
Speaker 5: So Layla. Gosh, we're going from one sad story to another.
Speaker 6: I know. So Twila died September twenty fourth, and then Layla died September thirtieth.
Speaker 5: Really I didn't know that, Yeah one year almost, Oh my god.
Speaker 6: Oh and then Lucy's probably uh quick dog hack, don't get multiple dogs the same age. Just don't do it, stagger, Why would you do that?
Speaker 5: Stagger?
Speaker 6: The ages I did that was so dumb.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, we're having a little bit of a domino effect right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, Laila was another one where you called me and you're like, uh, I think it might be time. And I really this really resonated with me because we got on the phone, and again, I have two different kinds of owners that are like I maybe not even two different kinds, but I like what you said. You were just like I need you to come look at this dog, yeah, and be objective and tell me is this the right decision or is it not the right decision. I think we as veterinarians kind of forget that that is our job is to help guide you and like we and I don't want the owners to ever have to like feel like they're the judge and jury with their dogs passing, you know, like I that's on me, Like I should help you make that decision, right. And so I totally got that. And I hope that if there's any veterinarians listening out there, like we remember that, like we should be the ones throwing youth in Asia on the table and saying like it's okay and like this is the right decision to be making for this pet. Yeah, because it's really hard even myself as a vet when it's my own dog. I had to have my husband be like it's time. Yeah, you lose all when it's your own pet, you lose all objectiveness.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's weird. I mean, I definitely think Twila prepped me for Leila, but you don't you like you think you're like, my life's going to be over when this dog dies, hell will freeze over, or like I'll die. But there's something that kicks in, and I think it's just your love for them, Yes, that you just you I love them so much that you're just like I'm not putting you through another ounce.
Speaker 5: You can't spare a second to see themselves.
Speaker 6: Of like pain, and I think that's like just ultimately what it was so like easy and easy, even though it's not an easy decision, but it made it easier just you just know she's in pain. Yeah, that's it, it's done. Yeah, and if you have an old dog, how wonderful is that the luckiest Leila is sixteen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Unbelievable. Twila was eleven or twelve. I'll never know, but I think she was like eleven or twelve. She may have been thirteen. And Lucy's sixteen and a half.
Speaker 5: Amazing. She's trucking, yeah, doing.
Speaker 6: It, And I feel like she's got like another six months left inner.
Speaker 5: I love that Ptaly longer. It is funny at the end, I feel like we cling on to like, Oh, but I don't want to live what's out them. I don't want like I can't bear this pain of losing them. But ultimately, like just like you said, like, but I love them more than I love myself. Yeah, so, and I can't keep them alive just to make me less sad for a few more days.
Speaker 6: Well, And with Leaila, Twila didn't she wasn't that old that her. She was still Twila. Laila wasn't Layla anymore. And Layla hadn't been Leila in a really long time. When after she died, I was going through like old videos, old photos, and I'm just like, oh, I didn't realize. I've just gotten so used to taking care like of these geriatric dogs.
Speaker 5: They're running a nursing home.
Speaker 6: They're just not even themselves anymore. They're so different, you know, which just gave me a little bit more peace of.
Speaker 5: Did you ever feel like they're something called caregiver like compassion overload? Did you ever feel that we were like this is like tough on me, or you're just like, No, I love them so much that I don't even think about it.
Speaker 6: No, the last like year and a half two years have been really hard.
Speaker 5: I bet, I bet.
Speaker 6: It's extremely hard taking care of old dogs and then having them die back to back. Yeah, and just all I do is take worry about them, take care of them, fork out money.
Speaker 7: A lot of labels would say like, we love what you do, we just don't know what to do with you, and I would be met with that all the time. And so I think you just got to keep making music. Well, and you know this whole Big Loud thing, like I talked to you after that happened, And.
Speaker 1: Do you want to say what that is before you talk about it? Do you mind talking saying.
Speaker 7: No, I haven't gotten to talk about it.
Speaker 2: Would you like to talk about it?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So then let's let's back up. And first of all, Big Loud is a label. Yes, it's also management, it's a thing. But they signed you.
Speaker 7: They signed me, and like they are, you know, by all conventional standards, crushing it. They at the time that I signed with them, had Morgan Wallen and Hardy and Earnest, and they were trying to expand. And I had already made No One Gets Out Alive. The record was done, it was mastered. I was probably going to just release it the way I had released my previous two albums, which is change the whole thing.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, you say, released it as you did your last two albums.
Speaker 7: Just independently, like with A I have a good team of publicists and distributors, and you know, we would hire independent promotion and everything more for Triple A Radio and Americana focuses. But Nate Yetten heard this record and he was hired as an A and R, which is kind of the could be the coolest job ever.
Speaker 2: Your job is to find good cultivate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's go find it and build it.
Speaker 7: His specific objective with Big Loud was to broaden their musical roster to find critical acclaim. Like he told me and my husband Austin is like, you know, we want a Grammy critical acclaim.
Speaker 1: By the way, artists that you're respected for having but may not be commercially as viable. But you're like, they're really good and the critics love them. But and there's a difference. But they wanted something that wasn't populous. Yes, because Morgan's killing a Hardy's killing it and people will be like, well, you got people that are making hits. They wanted a symphony. Yeah, and that's you.
Speaker 2: They wanted you.
Speaker 7: I was totally flattered and inspired by the vision and it was surprising to me. I don't feel like I was definitely the outlier on their roster and in terms of critical acclaim like, no, I'm not shy about saying that we've had no shortage of that the last couple of records. And that goes back to your question about you know, frustration and myself and people. It's like, yeah, that was there.
Speaker 1: But I think credibility is another word I would use. Not to interrupt you, I just want to make sure our audience knows what's going on. I think they want a credibility from music with depth. Yeah, not that the other guys don't have it, but they're killing it again. I use were populous in a very populous way. Uh, they want a credibility, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, when I think they're a young enough company that that was the right time for them to then take that step in the direction to say, okay, we can do more than just have these massive streaming darlings and you know, go direct to consumer and have a hit. And I have no doubt that they love this record, Like that's not something that I negate and I appreciate their vision in it, but like it was an undeniable off for it was like, we're gonna acquire this whole album. We made beautiful music videos, we did all this incredible artwork and packaging, you know, with Sofia Matanezad and Nikki Fletcher shooting these videos, and they talked about partnering with Polydor out of UK and just how like this was going to be, you know, an adult contemporary pop album, and they were really going to strategize on the marketing plan.
Speaker 1: And they were promising and using resources, yes.
Speaker 7: And it wasn't like they implemented those resources in a lot of ways. And you know, I'd already waited to put this music out, so with that promise of this plan, I waited a little longer and it came out in April of twenty four and they put billboards all over East Nashville, and we did these showcases in New York City and LA and you know, we got on like these great reviews upon the release, and then it was like radio silence, which.
Speaker 1: Is what they were looking for, by the way, to have an artist that would be reviewed wonderfully by critics. Right, this this snobby part which is important, Yeah, the people that Yeah, so so you get every you get what they brought you to do. You've created something, and what you created was exactly what they had asked you to do. You went and did it all and then silent Yeah from who what do you mean? Silent?
Speaker 7: Like from And there's a lot of people like I think Candice Watkins is amazing there. She was really engaged, and I'm not sure that she she liked me. I think was blindsided about the whole thing. But I'm out on the road, I'm on the No One gets out Alive tour. H I find out that, like some of the digital marketing spending is comparable to like what I did on my own with one song on the previous record, And it's like all this investment leading up to the release, and then it's like someone freaked out or something happened, and I can speculate, and I can only speculate because no one's called me and told me what's happened. I think Seth England had a falling out with Morgan Ballin and freaked out and dropped me and a lot of other people who had stuff going on. And I also think that they realized that they didn't have the capacity within their staff to work the kind of music I was releasing. So they are great with Spotify and these streaming services and all that stuff, but like the nuance that they talked about using with this music, they didn't have it. They just didn't have the stuff. And it was three months after we put this record out. Like, it can't be based on metrics, It can't be based on analytics of how the music is performing. It hasn't even been out long enough.
Speaker 3: Cast up Little Food for Yourself Life ain't.
Speaker 8: Oh it's pretty, but it's pretty, beautiful thing beautiful laugh a little more exciting, said he can't. You're kicking that with falling with Amy Brown.
Speaker 4: Third quote, You're not stressed because you're doing too much. You are stressed because you are doing too little of what makes you feel the most alive. I'm gonna say that one of Again, you're not stressed because you're doing too much. You are stressed because you're doing too little of what makes you feel the most alive. Which I guess I should say that with these quotes, I did a lot of research and there's not any one person that said these things.
Speaker 5: First.
Speaker 4: I feel like these have been said in a few different ways, lots of times, over and over, so we're just more unknown quotes. So again, you're not stressed because you were doing too much. You are stressed because you were doing too little of what makes you feel the most alive. And I read that again because this is one that I need to read often. It flips the script on stress, like we always think, I need to do less. That's why I say I need this quote more and more because I say that that is me on my Hinge profile a long time ago, it was like what do you want to do this year? And I just kept my answer short and sweet, and I just said do less. And some of the guys that would you know, initiate conversation with me around that, they'd be like, oh, I love that, and then I could tell the other guys weren't really feeling that answer and they would.
Speaker 5: Like challenge it a little bit.
Speaker 4: And I don't know, for me in that moment, that's what I felt resonated with me the most for the year. I wanted to do less. But the example that I got for you, you know of someone that I don't even know, Like, let's say someone's plate is full, like they've got work meetings, They've got like a full kid calendar, there's chores, there's errands. We all know what that is. Like they're running on empty, exhausted, But when was the last time that maybe they did something that truly lit them up, Like maybe this person loves painting or hiking or even just sitting at a coffee shop with a good book. Adding one thing that makes you feel alive can completely shift your energy. And sometimes it's not about doing less, it's about doing more the right things. But sometimes we just have a lot of things to get done that are just on our list to get done, and we don't really have a choice because if we don't do them, how will they get done. I mean, we can have help and different people that we work with and whatnot, but still there can be an ongoing list of things that we need to get done, and it can feel overwhelming. But if you sprinkle in the things that give you that joy that fill your cup up, Leanne and I were actually even talking about this today with each other, of community and connection with friends and how sometimes we isolate and we think we're having solitude, but it turns into isolation and that we don't really have community and connection with our friends and we don't realize that's all we need. And if we were to have one hike with a friend, one coffee date with a friend, even one chat with a friend over the phone or FaceTime or something, instantly our cup can start to fill up and our energy can start to shift. So it doesn't have to be this drastic thing. It can be as simple as a phone call with a friend. So take that little nugget and yeah, Houston, roll that beautifully in audio.
Speaker 9: Okay, So this message hit me like a ton of bricks when I first, you know, got the memo because for so long I thought I was stressed because I had too much on my plate. But what I've come to realize is that my stress wasn't from doing too much. It was from who I was or wasn't being when I was doing the doing, And for me, I was trying to do all the things from a place of stress or disorder or just you know, total lack of belief in myself. And then the big one for me was doing all the things that I thought I was supposed to do or that I thought that I was supposed to want to do, and totally ignoring what makes me more of who I am and what truly.
Speaker 5: Lights me up.
Speaker 9: And when I finally started prioritizing the things that made me feel alive, and that's things like you know, writing and teaching what I'm meant to be teaching and connecting with people who just get me, or you know, just simple things like taking a walk outside and feeling the sunshine on my face and knowing that those things do have value, even if you know society doesn't necessarily deem that stuff productive. All of that completely shifted my relationship with stress and that hustle mentality. And I actually just talked about this on the Godpod about how I navigate the noise and find peace in a world of overstimulation.
Speaker 4: The lesson you struggle with will repeat itself until you learn from it. Now, this one is a little tough love, that's for sure, but it is so true like life has a way of sending us the same challenges over and over until we figure out what we're supposed to learn. And I know that I have certainly seen that happen in my own life. Imagine someone who keeps ending up in toxic friendships like they're always the one giving, always the one fixing, and and it always ends in drama, like it's easy to blame the other person. But what if the real lesson is about boundaries? And until this person learns how to set boundaries, and they're going to keep finding themselves in the same situation. Once they get it, though, it really is a total game changer and the pattern will stop and they will move forward stronger than ever. But the lesson will keep popping up. So if you have something going on in your life and you're like, oh, why does this keep happening to me? Maybe say, oh, wow, this just happened again. I recognize this. What am I supposed to be learning from this? Invite the information to come to you, Invite the lesson in ask questions. If you are confiding in a friend like, say, you're this person that ends up in these toxic friendships? Right, What if you have a confidant that you can talk to about these toxic friendships, they notice it too. Are you gonna be willing to receive that information from a trusted friend? Can you open up to that friend and say, hey, I love to get your insight on something like I keep ending up in these same patterns. Is there anything you notice that I could do differently? Or if you have a therapist being honest about these relationships instead of just going into the conversation with your friend and gossiping about the toxic person and just being the victim and talking all about what this other person did, open up to where you could have done some things differently.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do it live.
Speaker 10: We are the one, two, three sore losers.
Speaker 3: What up, everybody? I am lunchbox.
Speaker 11: I know the most about sports, so I'll give you the sports facts, my sports opinions, because I'm pretty much a sports genius, y'all.
Speaker 3: It's Sison.
Speaker 10: I'm from the North. I'm an alpha male. I live on the North Side in Nashville with Baser, my wife.
Speaker 2: We do have a farm.
Speaker 10: It's beautiful, a lot of acreage, no animals, a lot of crops. Hopefully soon corn pumpkins, rye. I believe maybe a little fescue to be determined. Over to you, Coach.
Speaker 11: And here's a clip from this week's episode of The Sore Losers. So Brie, who I told at the beginning of the night she was gonna get to meet Keith Urban, and I just totally made it up, got her picture with Keith Urban. You s that is what happens when you come to Coach's convention. You don't know what's gonna happen. The time of her life. She's about to go on the ice and she meets Keith Urban.
Speaker 10: That's why your big time dude, that's why I sent you down. In lieu of her arm.
Speaker 11: Around her, Keith Urban put his arm around Brie and was like, let's take a picture.
Speaker 2: I sent you forth as tribute onto the ice.
Speaker 10: I said, I am fifteen nooners deep, I am floating, and he was on cloud nine.
Speaker 11: After that, she was like, oh my gosh. And I was like, I'm sorry, my camera's not that good. My phone is old Polaroid. I hope it is not too blurry. And she looked at it and goes, oh, it is a little blurry.
Speaker 2: I'm like, oh, Brie, I'm sorry, she goes, but I love it. It's perfect. It was a live pick. He got one chance, he got one shot opportunity.
Speaker 3: Not the Lions.
Speaker 2: Ray Eminem screwed him, so haily Yeah.
Speaker 11: And so then we go down to the ice a mile and let me tell you, they're getting in their orbs.
Speaker 2: We already talked about the orb. Did you just jump cell? And then full shadow it downstairs we went the cliffhanger and we're about to go on the ice, dude, And I'm standing there with Wayne d and I'm telling him how last.
Speaker 3: Year you gave DAPs to the referees.
Speaker 2: I did, Yes, I'm fifteen deep that year too.
Speaker 11: And Wayney goes, oh, man, these refs they think they're big shit. They think they're all important, they think they're so amazing. They come off all like badasses, like they're you know, run this world, Like, hey, bro, your job is the babysit millionaires that play hockey.
Speaker 3: No one cares about you guys. So they're they're.
Speaker 11: Coming off the ice in between the second and third period, and I get my camera out and I'm filming and I'm like, hey, good job keeping them in line out there. They're misbehaving a lot tonight. And the ref goes, what'd you say to me? Who are you? Who is this guy? Who is this guy? What's he doing down here? And Wayne D's like he's good, don't worry about He's like, what did what did you? Why are you talking to me? Who's Wayndy your sponsor?
Speaker 3: Now Wayne D's afternoons?
Speaker 11: Dude, I know I was setting you up for that, got you those afternoons here on WSIX.
Speaker 10: Good dude, he hooked up Abby Arnold's wife girlfriend singing the national anthem.
Speaker 11: Correct and the ref just and then the ref there's ref that wasn't even out there when I said it.
Speaker 3: He comes off the ice and gives me a look like, what's your problem?
Speaker 2: So they just don't like people picking on him during the intermission.
Speaker 11: Dude, I told him, good job. Those guys are really misbehaving out there tonight. You guys are doing a good job of keeping them in line.
Speaker 2: After review, I see nothing wrong. Game A compliment, dude, what'd you say?
Speaker 3: What you said to me? Who are you? What's he doing down here?
Speaker 2: What did you start doing?
Speaker 12: Mom?
Speaker 2: I was like, sorry, sir.
Speaker 11: I said, you're doing a good job. And Wayne and he's like he's fine, he's fine.
Speaker 3: Get out of here. Get out of here. You get in a fight, dude. I thought I was about to get kicked out from the freaking arena they were hosting the night.
Speaker 11: I was about to go on ice with Brie and Carolyn when they're gonna do their thing, and I was gonna speak into the microphone.
Speaker 10: Family is taking a plot twist. Dad's going to jail. He just got kicked out of the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the ref number five.
Speaker 11: Referee number five got pissed off because I say he was doing a good job.
Speaker 2: Probably a Michigan guy. Hey, slapping whack it on the ice here.
Speaker 3: He got so pissed off.
Speaker 2: Hey go to Michigan. Yeah, and old Pond nothing like that kind of icy riff. Hey, dude, doing good debt. A lot of snow up there. He low temps, good call therey. That's probably what I'd have done if I was down there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wasn't happy with me. So we do the ORB thing. We go to the game.
Speaker 11: Pred's win. H We're up there in this Grand Higat suite. Thank you to the Grand hiat for hosting us and everything you do. You're amazing.
Speaker 2: Words can't express We don't do sweets.
Speaker 11: No, we don't do sweets. We don't do sweets. You know what, damn right we did on Saturday. How you know what we did? We damn said sweets. So we're like, all right, grand I, you know what I mean. I'm in and the Nashville Predators. Thank you for the happy Hour, thank you for hosting us, Thank you for letting two girls dream come true to get down on it, hold on to get down on the ice. I mean, it was awesome. It's phenomenal, great, great overall event. Then we went out on Broadway Man and I dipped out, like right when you were getting kicked out of the bar, I dipped out the back door.
Speaker 10: I know we're gonna go to commercial. They reviewed the tape and said I did nothing wrong. It was a one foot on the stage, acted like I was gonna jump on stage, but then immediately jump back.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And I believe it was a manager somebody there that I found out through our friends at Stage Pilot. They said they reviewed it. They actually have to do that on stuff like that. I did nothing wrong.
Speaker 11: Oh okay, and I and your sister was a pretty hammered muff. And she was just going around the bar and it was showing muff. She was just yelling at everybody. She would go, hey, you you yeah, that lion's lost. That's on you. That's on you.
Speaker 10: People said that she was knocking on car windows and then roll it down and she'd be.
Speaker 2: Like, that lost. That was on you, guys.
Speaker 3: That was on you.
Speaker 11: Guys, what are you talking about. I'm driving an uber and one guy goes, I'm from Israel. I don't know what you mean. She was like, oh, yeah, you know, it's on you. Somebody's gotta get blamed for that.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 11: Need less say, she still made her six am flight. Man that she told me it took her whole all week to recovery. I bet now we'll take a break, we'll go and we'll talk about Sunday. We'll right back, dude, Sunday Morning. Escape game, Nashville, Dude.
Speaker 3: Never done it.
Speaker 11: Convenient right next to broad right next to Broadway, right off Broadway, right downtown. You get locked in a room, you got to figure out these clues to get these keys to get out of there, to get to another room, to another room, and then you're finally escape. You have one hour to do it, and we did school yard pick, and of course I'm taking Carl from West Point first, no problem.
Speaker 3: Took his wife, Yeah, you took his wife.
Speaker 11: You took Becky and she's been in bed all weeks sick, so there must have been something going on in your room that everybody was sick. And then I pretty much drafted everybody that was on my ax blowing team. I wanted him back. I wanted redemption because I knew I had a smart team. I knew I had a good team. And dude, that was the most fun. I loved the escape room.
Speaker 2: Guys. People have said it Vegas.
Speaker 10: You gotta do flamingos and fountains, not just slots and fun or slots and what's an F?
Speaker 2: What's an F?
Speaker 10: And mountains, pol Gamma ferries. Yes, that you got it in Ferris Wheels. Do something else, and that's what escape game is. It's not all drinking on Broadway. Do that, dude, We got our minds working. The most I've laughed might be an escape game hilarious because everybody's.
Speaker 2: Making fun of everybody.
Speaker 10: At one point. Dude, I did the math wrong. You know, guys, I'm known as a mathematician on the show. And the lady comes over the interness common she goes, if you need a hint, do the math again, I would did five and seven is.
Speaker 2: Twelve, and it was like five and six is thirteen. So did their bathroong.
Speaker 3: That's pretty impressive. Yeah.
Speaker 10: So it was stuff like that, and you got Joe at one point there was a thing. I don't want to ruin it, but he was ball sacking. He had to reach up and it was at the exact same time simultaneously I had to reach down. So if you do it properly, somebody's gonna be on all fours and the other person's gonna.
Speaker 2: Be their legs are over your head. And I mean it looked like me and him were.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it did look like that. It was pretty weird.
Speaker 2: But I said, Joe, you want to get the next room or not tea bag me?
Speaker 11: Yeah, we we I mean it was just so funny when you think you discover something, Oh I got it. I got it, and then did work under mind. You get so excited and let down. Then I'm so excited and laughing. And I mean we were my team got locked in two separate cells, so we only had three people in each room.
Speaker 3: We were in two separate rooms and we.
Speaker 11: Had to communicate through the walls, and it was so freaking fun.
Speaker 10: West point his wife. She was great plugging in those numbers and everything like that. I kind of floated. I would do a lot of the math type stuff day ones, up and down, dude. At one point she was on all fours, ones on all four Ryan, dude.
Speaker 2: I was on my back. At another point, another person on all fours. It was one of those where you had to be low, up, down. It didn't matter what you were doing in there. How do you escape? Hence the name, Yeah, escape game.
Speaker 3: It's not about looking good in there.
Speaker 11: And we talked about this, How funny is it the people that work there just watching us run around like a bunch of idiots, running from spot to spot thinking we got something, Oh no, that doesn't work, oh trying this, and we they have to laugh their ass off.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and our biggest fault guys take note of this. We tried to do six things at once, jump and accomplish one task because we's family. Instead, you had the kid doing the dishes, the dad cutting firewood, the mom quilting the other son, reading a comic book, work as a family, and do one task at a time, which is what we should have done.
Speaker 2: It was our biggest fault. You guys killed us.
Speaker 10: When I told you we were supposed to get three clues, we knew we'd already lost. We got five clues, we got another five, we got we got no less than fifteen clues, and so I guess we finished, and they added five minutes to our time. Bro that we didn't even come damn close to beating you guys.
Speaker 11: We we needed one clue to escape. We needed one clue. We were down to four minutes on the clock when we got our one clue. Tell me right now, dam it is West Point?
Speaker 3: Is he mensa?
Speaker 12: He's mensas.
Speaker 13: Anybody who has followed me for a long time is going to be like, this is a no brainer episode. I'm so excited because this week I am joined by Catherine Hurley, who is one of the founders of Wags and Walks, which is a huge rescue organization for animals, and I'm just so excited to have this conversation Catherine, and thank you for joining me.
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 14: I'm great, I'm so excited to be here. Thank you for having us and highlighting our work.
Speaker 13: Turning to that really big crisis that we're in right now, Yeah, I've seen it. I mean I'm on so many different Facebook pages. It's all over my feeds of just the abandonment that's happening, the breeder crisis, the lack of resources, everything, what is going on right now, like this huge crisis that is happening, and what are some things that people, just a normal person like me can do to help.
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's certainly overwhelmeding. You know, I've been doing this since I got out of college, so like twelve years, and there was a really short window before COVID where like we saw some numbers improving and COVID just took us back the are. You know, there are so many different factors on the why behind it. You know, I think a lot of it is like people are struggling financially, so you have a whole sect of people that like probably would keep their dogs, but feel like their back is against the wall. And then because there's like a lack of resources to meet them, that's where you see abandonment, dogs being dumped. I mean, just the amount of dogs are like literally like left in apartments because people are like I'm moving the amount of emails I get and it's hard, right to balance empathy for people because you have to have it, Because you don't, you will be jaded and at the end of the day, like we have to work together to get through the problems. But then on the other hand, you get some of these emails or you see these scenarios and you're like how how like how is this? What the decision that you made, like to literally lock the door leave and like your dog is still inside and who did you think was going to help you? And that's not even going into the realm of abuse and the horrible scenarios that can also be the case of it. So as a rescue, it's like you've got this reason and this reason and this and so it's like, okay, well what can we do? You know, So going into shelters, it's and again you it's hard because you want to balance the ge like I said earlier the Sarah maclachlin commercial and not trying to be that but also trying to be very honest of what's going on. Is like I go into shelters every single week and I see dogs marked upon their kennels, and I'm like, you're dying today. And it does not matter how many dogs that we can try and save every single week, there's the next day there's going to be dogs that have to be euthanized. And there's a massive misconception surrounding shelters and high kill shelters and always that to kill shelter. And when you have a shelter that is one hundred and fifty kennels and one hundred and ninety dogs come in good, what do you think is going to happen?
Speaker 15: You know?
Speaker 14: So I try to tell people like it's it's at the end of the day, it's a community problem. And you cannot blame shelter workers who do what you and I can't even do, Like I couldn't show up to work every day and take care of dogs that are there for whatever rhyme or reason and then euthanize them because no one wants them. Like that is a gut wrenching pill to have to swallow and then go up and do it the next day. So I'm like, I'm so thankful to people that work in shelters because at least being on the rescue side, we lose dogs. I have to see really sad things. I have to be a part of really sad things. But I still get to go. I'm helping. I'm making a difference. They of course are as well. But when then you're having to be the one that is the last person to see a healthy dog get put to sleep, I mean, I don't. It's hard to envision, you know, a more heart wrenching job. So they're a very real crisis going on that like, and it's not just the old dogs. It's not dogs of behavior problems. We have taken in so many puppies this year that they're like no one wants them. It's a litter of black puppies, Like they're gonna get euthanized. Can you take them today? And I think people think that's like clickbait or like fake information, And it is not in LA. In the South, uh, you know, Tennessee's horrible. Texas is horrible. It's everywhere, and it's it's brutal. You know, we've seen domestic violence went up in COVID, so did animal abuse, hoarding. You know, you have people struggling financially, mental health, all of it. I mean we went to so many hoarding cases this here properties where I'm like there's literally just dead dogs just on the ground, and you disassociate in the moment, but I mean, like that's something that like that stays with you as a person, And so I say to my husband all the time, like, but if they had to go through it and we had to see it, it is my job to make sure people hear it, because I think then if you don't, it's very easy to justify buying your dog or breeding your dog, or you know, it's like if it's a supply and demand and you're somebody that's choosing to financially benefit off of the breeding of animals knowing there's an overpopulation issue, I think that at that point it becomes a morality question. How you sit on that side of it or how you value it is I guess, very personal decision, but certainly from where I'm sitting, I'm like, I don't know how someone does that and can go to bad feeling good about themselves.
Speaker 13: You know, I often tell people when especially like the conversation of abandonment comes up, it's it's obviously a thing that is a very controversial to say you know, there's not a lot of excuses that I believe in to abandon your animal. There's really not to me, and I know that's a really strong opinion. And I also am somebody who is a I am an empathy, like huge empathy. My heart is as big as it can possibly get. But there are so many ways to go about that, and there are so many ways to do something than abandoning or knowing that when you're surrendering your animal to a shelter it is going to die. And one of my strongest things that I say that often makes people, you know, stop kind of in their tracks, is you won't want to abandon your animal or surrender them or get a breeder dog if you have watched an animal happy getting out of their shelter, walking thinking they're about to have the best day ever, and they're walking into a room and they don't come out.
Speaker 15: Hey, it's Mike d and this week I'll movie Mike's Movie podcast. I shared my top ten most anticipated movies of twenty twenty five, the ones that even if I didn't have this podcast where I review movies every single week, I would still go pay money to watch these in theaters because they look awesome. So I'll share you I top two right now, but be sure to listen to my full episode to hear my entire list, because there's a lot of great stuff coming out this year, but right now, here's just a little bit of movie Mike's Movie podcast at number two. Even more so than the Fantastic four movie, is the other Marvel movie coming out this year that I'm excited for. Captain America Brave New World, coming out on Valentine's Day, February fourteenth. This one's right around the corner. We have our new Captain America Anthony Mackie, which if you miss the Disney Plus show, which I feel they kind of wasted it there. You learn so much about his character in that show, but I feel like not a whole lot of people watch that show, so hopefully they don't base a whole lot of this plot on that show, which I think that's something Disney is trying to get away from of not making the movies connect with the TV shows. I think those should be completely separate. And I know Kevin Figy has always just kind of drilled that mentality of thinking about the bigger picture, making things inner lock I think and hope that he learned that we don't really want the TV shows to connect with the movies.
Speaker 2: I think we should kept us separate.
Speaker 15: I really think the Disney Plus shows should be entire side quest and not involved with the main MCU storyline. Do it with some side characters, do more animated shows, do more things like X Men ninety seven. They give us a reason to go to Disney Plus, but not a reason to have to go see things in theaters and go back to you. So hopefully by making that show, it didn't take away from the impact of Sam Wilson taking over for Steve Rodgers, which is huge, and I really feel like that reveal on the big screen would have been more impactful because now we've already seen it on Disney Plus, so there's not going to be that big off factor because we kind of have already seen it. We've kind of wasted that already. I get why they wanted to make that show, but if you think of how Endgame finish with those two characters, if that was the last thing we saw with Chris Evans giving him the shield and then moving on to this movie, which I guess would have been hard to do because that movie came out like five years ago. At this point, I think over that now, it would have been a long time to wait. But still the trailer does give me some chills moments where he says, I'm not Steve Rogers. I feel like it's really gonna be Sam coming into his zone, taking over this role, taking on Harrison Ford, who's gonna go from being President Thunderbolt Ross into the Red Hulk.
Speaker 3: But the action looks.
Speaker 15: Up to par with those early Captain America movies, which I think out of any movie in the MCU, it had the best fight scenes first one Captain America Civil War. That is what I feel was the krem de la creme of the MCU, the fight scenes and the Captain American movies. But can you do that without Chris Evans at the Helm. But I'm so excited for this movie. It's coming out soon. I'm not really that interested of how it's going to play into the timeline. I don't care what this movie sets up. I really don't care about what all these things are building to. At this point, I just want individual good movies, even if the Avengers movies are completely separate from the plot line. I don't really care at this point, I just want to have fun and feel excitement when going to Marvel movies now. But at number two, I have Captain America Brave New World coming out soon on February fourteenth. At number one, I have Superman coming out on July eleventh. This is the new launch, at least on the film side. Of James Gunn taking over for DC. He is going to be the new person, much like Kevin Figy is for Marvel, who is the president of Marvel and is responsible for keeping everything cohesive and for having things connect and building a big rand. He is the person now who is gonna direct movies like Superman, but also make sure that every film that they put out is in line with values, has continuity, feels like the same from one movie to another, which is something that the EMCU did really well. They had a whole system in place that no matter what director was directing each particular movie, they all felt the same way. You have cameos from one to another and it's all the same actors, all the same people. He is going to be that now for DC. Just the trailer came out, I think I've thought about this movie every single day, and the movie just feels so warm and inviting and fresh that every shot just on its own looks like a page out of a comic book. It's so perfectly framed. And I feel like this is really going to dive into what makes Superman such a great character, the og superhero, the most famous superhero, and really give us that best version of him since Christopher Reeves back in the day introducing the character on the big screen. I also love that James Gunn is so heavily invested in stories from comics with the Superman character, that is going to bring.
Speaker 12: A lot of that to life.
Speaker 15: And overall all the characters just look really fun and vibrant and cosmic at times where they need to be. And I just feel like this is gonna be one of those movies that, once it starts from one second up there when you see that DC logo, to the very end, it's gonna feel like a perfect movie. And it's the one I'm just the most excited to be in the theater to watch because I think it's gonna be one of those core movie memories for me, and I've had maybe three of those since twenty nineteen, probably since Endgame, I would say that have really popped, and I just remember that moment of watching them for the first time. I think that is going to be inside a Superman And that's why I put it at number one, because as much as I can't wait to see the new characterin American movie, I don't think that or anything below it is gonna have one of those memories. So I think this is the one I'm the most excited to see because I think it could be one of my next favorite superhero movies. And I feel that, and I think also it is one that's gonna have to win me over a little bit because I wouldn't even put Superman in my top five superheroes of all time. So I think it's gonna be having my first iteration that I could fully be in love with Superman. Oh as much passion as it is, there is Superman gonna win my heart. Am how good to fall in love for those blue eyes and slick back hair and red trunks could be? So maybe that's why I'm so excited about this is I'm ready to hook up with Superman to be in love with them.
Speaker 11: Cary Line, she's a queen and talking, so.
Speaker 3: She's getting really not afraid to feel as episo and soul just let it flow.
Speaker 15: No one can do we quiet like cary Line, it's sound of care Line.
Speaker 5: Are you a pretty faithful person?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 16: Do you have a lot of faith that absolutely God and that it's all gonna align?
Speaker 17: I can't not. Like there's just been too many things in life for me too, Like too many instances where I'm.
Speaker 16: Like, thank you God, I see you like I see you in this What any in particular that you can come to mind? Because I feel the same way when I look back on my life, I'm like, it.
Speaker 5: All is God every day.
Speaker 17: Like there's it's not even really specific instances I can point out, but I just think it's Again, it goes back to that, like when I think of trusting your good I truly think that's trusting God.
Speaker 5: For me.
Speaker 17: That is my guiding lights. And I feel like every time that I have, you know, trusted, I try to trust all the time. It's hard. You got to have a lot of patience and you question it a lot of times obviously.
Speaker 16: Like sometimes there's like waiting periods. Yeah, especially when you're creative like yourself, Like sometimes there's like long waiting periods You're like, God, what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I supposed to be doing.
Speaker 17: I've never I'll put it this way, I've never had something removed from my life that I wasn't grateful for in the long run, or you know, vice versa. So I just feel like there's a sense of faith there was. I grew up in faith, but it's just it's one of those things as an adult. It's just been shown to me, like I just see it in everyday instances and short term and long term to not have faith that God's God my life.
Speaker 5: So do you think it keeps on doing that?
Speaker 16: It kind of takes their pressure off though, because it does. How does God feel to you? Because I finally have I can feel it in my I feel it in my stomach.
Speaker 2: God is love. God is love.
Speaker 16: But when I'm on track, it's like I feel very calm, I feel aligned, I.
Speaker 5: Feel s it's a piece.
Speaker 16: He's almost When I'm not, I can feel out of balance like that, feel like I'm not do i can feel like I'm not on the right right course.
Speaker 17: Yeah, it's almost like just fighting your natural instincts, the sense or like a sense of being on edge or uneasiness. And that's just I mean that can come with anything and anxiety in general, which I do struggle a lot with and we all have our bouts of or moments, but I don't know, it's just like a faith that is steady and true all the time. And again, like I said, there's never been anything that I feel like didn't work for my favor in the long run and in God's eyes, you know, like for my life specifically, I feel like everything that has happened in my life has led me exactly where I need to be good or bad, like not even not making top four on the Voice, Like I could have easily seen that as like a I suck moment or like you know, I'm not meant to do this, But I just I see so many paths and opportunities waiting to be taken if you just like listen and pray about it, if you're you know, if you're a person of faith.
Speaker 5: So how do you feel God speaking to you? Like, how do you know when God's telling you which way to go?
Speaker 17: I think it's like you said, like that sense of peace, And it's not always it's not I mean, it's not always like a voice saying this or that, or you hear a voice. I mean, I think when I hear the voice, it's.
Speaker 16: It's my own, it's through God, like God speaking through your thoughts.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I would say so.
Speaker 17: I think it's more of just like you, you just kind of feel which way you're being pulled, which direction you're being pulled in. So yeah, there's never like a surefire answer I feel like for how you feel God, because I feel like everybody feels God in a different way, you know, But for me that is it's the sense of peace I get in the middle of all the angst and anxiety and what gives you anxiety, struggle, oh, everything in life, cirl life in general. I think I'm just an anxious person. I feel things really heavily and really deeply, and I want to see people happy. I want to I want to be happy. So yeah, I don't know. I think just feeling things super deep like it. It creates some emotional challenges, but yeah, I don't know. I wouldn't have it any other way because I think that's what makes musicians and creatives like great at what they do is feeling things to the core.
Speaker 16: What when you think about your music, like, what is music to you? Like when you're writing and singing, like what is happening in you?
Speaker 2: Like, what are you?
Speaker 5: What is coming through you when you're putting.
Speaker 2: It out there?
Speaker 5: How do you feel about it?
Speaker 16: If you're going to describe it in three were or not even three if you're just gonna describe the experience for you, and like, what's happening when you're making music and singing?
Speaker 6: What are you?
Speaker 5: What's happening? What's the experience?
Speaker 17: Well, with making music, I think with writing, I'm still so new to it. I consider myself new to it, like I've been doing it for six years officially, I guess, but I think it's just like I hate to keep relating back to the closed thing. But it's like everybody has their own way of writing, and you know how you would or wouldn't say things in real life, and so when you go in a room to write, it's like you know the feelings you want to convey, you know, like semi the message you want to convey. And I think when you're writing, it's just kind of like saying stuff until it feels right, until it fits the moment. So I wish it was like this next level experience for me, but it's literally like doing homework when I'm writing, but when I'm singing, like I it just feels so I feel more like a normal person and a human being being on stage and singing than I do in like everyday life. There's just such a natural comfortability that comes for me when being on stage that doesn't happen for me.
Speaker 16: Now that's wild, because that's a big it's scary to be on stage, it.
Speaker 17: Is, but it's like the one place where I guess I've always felt like fully accepted, maybe is what it is. And so in everyday life, you're just kind of floating around, like meeting new people and new experiences and new things, and there's such an uncertainty. So it's just it's so funny to me that the most I feel myself is when I'm in front.
Speaker 5: Of a bunch of people.
Speaker 17: That's amazing, But I think it's just for the sake of knowing that I'm there to connect with people and hopefully find a moment between me and somebody else that will allow us to continue to be each other's support. And like I don't know what to call it, like therapy. I guess I love that that's about all. We're all in this together. Yeah, we all got stuff we're struggling with every day, and my goal was, like, if I can at least make you forget about it for the time being, make you dance or make you sit in the feeling for a second, make you really feel it, to know that it's okay to feel that like, no matter what the feeling is, I just want to as long as it connects, that's all I care about.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys for listening to the Sunday Sampler. New episodes out weekly to all those shows. Maybe you heard a clip, go check out the full episode. It really would help if you subscribed, that would be awesome for us. It helped us tremendously.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Hope you have a great weekend. Hope you have a great week, and that's all. We'll see you next week. Everybody do some loose things the most SAMs