Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, I gave you a tenor voice. You know, everyone doesn't get that we're back. We're black and we're brown. I'm Tippany you.
Speaker 2: Guys, it's Mandy Happy Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Yes, So what's happening in the atmosphere?
Speaker 2: Mandra You know, well, first of all, we must apologize. This is like the third year running. I've had it on my calendar that it's Junenteenth's and our show always airs the day before the day of, and I totally forgot to mention it last week. But hope you guys. I feel like Juneteenth is becoming a real It was like this, uh, I don't know, margin on the margins kind of holiday, but now it's becoming like a real I'm just glad that it's a day that at least it's an excuse to reflect and think about, you know, how you can live our days every life in the spirit of what our ancestors would have wanted for us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we are truly I think our ancestors wildest, wildest dreams, Yes, ma'am, cause I think Tyler Perry. I don't know what award he was getting. I don't know if it was BT Awards. Yes, and so He shared how his studio used to be a Confederate Army base and he was like, you know the purpose of you know that those soldiers was to try to maintain slavery for Negroes. And he's like, now a negro owns this place. And I just thought, wow, wow, wow, just I mean, just a few generations from you removed, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know people asked me when I got married in Savannah, Georgia, because I got married not in not on you know, a former plantation that as far as I could research, but I did get married. You know, if I'm being realistic one hundred percent, you look back a couple of centuries ago, they were probably slaves working that land. I mean, there were slaves all over the South and especially in Georgia, And you know, did I feel some type of way about getting married in that area? And for me, I felt, you know, if my ancestors did work these lands, you know what about it, like if they're you know, if if in twenty seventeen, I was getting married there and you know, in a in a multi racial marriage with like a super diverse you know, wedding party and and guests and everything, and I just that was kind of how I made my peace with it, and yeah, I mean you do. It's it's it's like part about remembering the you know, just the bloody beginning and the tragic beginning of every of the country and what it took to get to where we are now and recognizing how far we have to go.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm. And it's just like it's just right spots exactly because it shows it that like I mean, if you because you're right, you had super I mean you had Asian, you had white, you had like you had.
Speaker 2: It wasn't intentional.
Speaker 1: I'm like, it was definitely U went of weddings.
Speaker 2: It did look like I was like a college brochure and I picked out my wedding party, like and here's the brown one and here's the No, it just felt.
Speaker 1: But it was awesome and so but no, I think that it's I'm not someone who thinks that you shouldn't be on places where you know, enslaved people we were, because the truth is, I don't know that you could ever go anywhere then, you know. I think instead it's our job and our duty to change the narrative of our places by showing up and being who we are. Now you know they they were so we could be and so like yeah, I just like like I love that Tyler bought that place. It was like, yeah, this is what it was, you know, but I have I have taken command of this place and it's you know exactly, you know, changing that narrative. So I think that's awesome.
Speaker 2: I was looking as we're going to Portugal in August, and Portugal, if you have you ever been to the this was something I didn't know. Maybe I should have known this, but they didn't teach me this in high school. That Portugal was really the the beginning of the slave trade, one of the you know, the first countries to ship slaves to the Americas. And I didn't know that until I went to the African American History Museum in DC, which if you guys haven't gone, you gotta go, but give yourself, like at least two days to go through it. Have you been TV?
Speaker 1: What to that? Now? No, anyone thank you for saying that. You know, they actually reached out to me. They want me to do a panel.
Speaker 2: I just forgot, but maybe don't. I mean, like it is so heavy that we did you know the ground you go below ground for the first portion of the museum, which covers the beginning of the slave trade all the way to kind of you know, the age of Oprah, you know, modern day, and then back on the like the upper half of the museum has exhibits some like pop culture and all this kind of stuff. Well, we did the bottom half and it was so emotionally draining that we had to leave. It took us probably like four hours to get through it, and then we just couldn't, you know, do the rest of the museum that day, So give yourself time. But anyway, Portugal, So what I learned about Portugal, So we're going there in a couple of in a month or so, and I was looking for any opportunity to take a tour maybe like look at some former landmarks, you know, to learn about the origins of slavery. There's not a ton out there. But I did read about one guy who's trying to start some tours and I think he was inspired by the museum here in DC. And there's like a growing movement for the country itself to recognize it's it's the role that it played in proliferating slavery and everything.
Speaker 1: Wow wow, Yeah.
Speaker 2: But I hope everybody had a good, good Juneteenth and summertime is officially underway.
Speaker 1: Yes, I can't wait. I'm going to my first summertime barbecue this weekend, actually the twenty eighth, which I think is a Friday. I don't even know, but it's my anniversary this Friday. Yeah, this Friday. It's my anniversary two years. And I asked super Man, you know, what do you want to do, and he was like, moving to this house. So that's what we're doing. It's so finally the house is done, guys, we're gonna be moving in. Because I was thinking like, maybe, well we could go to like Cape may or something, but honestly, the move it's like the house is absolutely gorgeous and we're just so excited to be in it. So I was like, it doesn't make sense to try to go away for the weekend because we're just gonna be stressed about so when we come back, how we're gonna move during the week you know. Yeah, so yeah, we're just gonna So a friend of mine has he has a really beautiful house that he renovated not too far so his wife is an amazing I don't think she's like officially a chef, but she needs to be. She makes the most amazing food. I mean it looks like a catered like a fair. And so they're having like their annual barbecue and I was like, well, this will we are this is we could celebrate right there at the barbecue. I will be eating all the things wait watchers be damned, even though it's been going good. But I was like, I'm saving all my points for the week. So yeah, so what it's like not just work, but she makes like this, like lobster mac and cheek. You literally have to go early. Like I'm gonna be like, sir, if you're running late, I'll to meet you there because you have to go early. Her food is so good. So we're just gonna celebrate, like, you know, lightly and moving to this house and really marvel at how far we've come together. And yeah, someone a friend of mine has a friend who was asking about me and saying, so, how's bunch of Nista? She never posted about her husband on social media? What's going on there? I was like, do people really were on a bitch and listeners? Do you throw me shay because I don't post about Superman?
Speaker 2: Is it Pwitsville for the budgets Superman, and I'm like, you know, but.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, Like, literally, I mean I don't even think about it, truthfully, because one, I mean, he's not like you know how like Chip and Joanna. That's not what Superman like, you know. I mean, every once in a while I post like if it's relevant. Quite honestly, I don't even think about it, like we're just literally living our lives, living a great life. Actually, but I never thought about that that someone was like, what does he even do? I'm like, I don't think they're out of the.
Speaker 2: Podcast, honey, I know, because I'm like, we talk to We talked all the time.
Speaker 1: It's probably at nausea and especially when we were getting like engaged and married. But yeah, no, Superman is a super I'm I always call him super Superman. Yeah, he's super for the City of Newark and just just dope. I mean, he's just a regular guy, but he's awesome. And yeah, don't posting about him on social media like a whole lot, just because the truth is, I have like a social media team now, and so largely like they post like what's appropriate to the Bunchinisia, which is financed because at one point, my my ig my ig was literally like a day in the life, like, hey, eating some chicken. I'm like, tivioty, what does this have to do with bunch? So they took over. They're like, we're gonna bring it back to personal finance. So yeah, so if you're wondering, we're actually good. Thanks for the concern. Yeah, but and also too, I stopped posting him on Facebook because I would post him and then women would go send friend requests. Can you imagine? So that was a little whatever. But yeah, I mean, nothing's wrong with me, but I just thought that was so I never thought that anybody would even care or think about it, Like, you know, it's just weird to me because I'm like, what Superman, who's downstairs right now packing all these boxes so we can move out of this place.
Speaker 2: If you judge my marriage by my Instagram, you think that I left him for my dog, Molly's. I cannot stop myself, and like, I understand that people will probably unfollow me once I got so many friend requests the past Instagram requests the past couple of weeks, and I'm like, y'all all ready for this because there's nothing but my dog. I don't know what you want. I had no advice for you. I got no words of wisdom. Here's my adorable Dog're like, here's.
Speaker 1: The money man, the money.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, I don't have a brand like Tiffany to maintain.
Speaker 1: No, But I understand, like, I mean, I get the curiosity, but I just like, it's so weird that you think that people are curious about like, you know, because I feel like, especially here on the podcast, we talked so freely, so clearly she must not listening to arounhmbition because I'm like, well, what are you talking about? Ago? But I just thought that was hilarious. She was like, yeah, girl, he inquiring minds want to know. I'm like, okay, well were you God, thanks for inquiring.
Speaker 2: I guess I gotta do this. We got to talk about this story really quick because I thought it was kind of hilarious. So we all know, student loan debt in America is just you know, a huge burden, and the government, like the education departments being sued because programs like public service loan forgiveness actually have not been forgiving anybody's debt. Like very people even got you know, qualified for that. Something like one hundred and fifty thousand people are waiting in line right now.
Speaker 1: See look, yeah, I'm still taking every time.
Speaker 2: Oh hey, Superman, He's like, oh, I heard the Universe told me I was being mentioned. I'm sorry, manager, go ahead, It's okay anyway. Student loan debt, you know, it probably touches every one of us who had the fortune of going to college or misfortune depending on how you how much debt you have, So you know, I'll be the government is not is you know, is no guarantee that your student loan debt will be forgiven even if you do everything right. But there are There's this new app that people got really excited about called Gibling, the Gibling trivia app. Trivia apps are like a hot thing right now. But basically it's the trivia app that you pay to play. So it's like fifty cents. I think there's a free level, and then you pay fifty cents to get additional credits to pay to play bigger, larger levels, and the ultimate goal is that you can win up to forty fifty thousand dollars. That's like the grand prize. And people have won the money and you know, they're able to use it to pay off their student loan debt. But there's a story on seeing Me See that I thought was crazy. So because it's kind of a gamification kind of thing. You have to pay to play at a certain level, and then you have to like you can pay, you can purchase like little items in the Gibling Trivia app store to get more credits to play more rounds, and people have been legit getting addicted to it, like the story. The story interviewed some woman who spent forty two thousand dollars to win and a guy who borrowed twenty thousand dollars from his four oh one K did he win too? And no, no, And like the people who were doing it are like, you know they are you know, they've they've done like other game shows and things like that. And so now this this app that people were really excited about, there's all these questions about whether it's is it gambling? Is it really helping people pay off their student loan debt? And I mean, it's so sad to me that people are dipping into their four oh one K. Don't do that. There's no easy way out of debt, and this game is certainly not like you might as well us go to your bodega and get a lotto ticket.
Speaker 1: You know, that's literally what that is. I didn't know, like that's crazy because I see, I'm like looking it says the app is free, but I do know, like the re Member candy Crush, you would have to like buy these little like whatever it is. Wow, I guess you have to just be mindful of yourself that if you've got a personality that's like you know that leans towards scambling and you might not even know until you try something. But if you're someone who, yeah, there's typically no easy way. I mean, we would all love an easy way out of student loans. And unfortunately, like you said, forgiveness is it has gotten even harder. It was hard before, but it's even harder now. So I could see why people turn to desperate measures. But forty thousand dollars to win fifty thousand, you can do better at vegas.
Speaker 2: I mean please, yeah, go to the slot machines or you know, vote for candidates who maybe have some progressive student loan policy ideas. And I know we're early, like you know, as far as like election twenty twenty goes. There's seventy eleven people running on the Democratic ticker right now that it's just too many to pay attention to. And I feel like I'm really going to start paying attention in January. That's when I'll start tuning in. But I have to say, if you're focusing on issues that you want to look at, you know, I'm waiting on candadates to come out with policies, for example, on healthcare, student loans, and maternity family leave. Those are the three that I care a lot about and really like, very few if any candidates have had any real policies to share, except for Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders. So they both come out with plans to cancel student loan debt and really like have a much more progressive plan to get rid of debt versus like public service loan forgiveness, which, to be fair to you know, President you know who, it wasn't his program. However under his watch it has been completely useless to people. Was meant to help. But their plans would basically, like Bernie Sanders would have forgive it everyone's debt, like cancel it like zero it out within six months, which sounds to me like too crazy to actually, yeah, like possible, But that's why he's so progressive. Lizzie Warren's plan would pay for pay to forget most people's debt, except for people who you know, have proven income that they can afford their debt, which is like ninety five percent of people.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: The way that she would pay for it is by implementing and partly by implementing a wealth tax, a private wealth tax, which would hit families who have over fifty million dollars in assets. So like the top point zero zero zero zero er is zero one percent, yeah, which to me sounds a bit more realistic.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but you know, those people also also have like a lot of political power and pull to lobby and this and that. So I don't know how she'd be able to get that passed.
Speaker 2: I think there's like the wealth tax, there's it's gaining support, Like there is a medium like these eleven or eighteen millionaires or however billionaires whatever they are, they got together and posted on medium they were like, please tax us.
Speaker 1: Okay, well that's good. I'd should to say they're probably in the minority, but I mean, I agree, it doesn't you know, I'm not gonna lie. I feel uncomfortable. That's that there are times like were my tax rate with the new Trump laws, my tax rate as Tiffany the baby millionaire are lower than my tax rate as Tiffany the preschool teacher. That's crazy. The preschool teacher needed the help, I don't, you know. And that the thing is my taxes weren't this rate before, but now they are, and so like yeah, it's just it's ridiculous, like it's it's it doesn't make sense. I believe my business tax rate went from thirty five percent, I think the twenty one percent and then anything that bills over after that me personally as fifteen percent, but as Tiffany the teacher, I think I was at twenty or twenty five percent. That's crazy. Why I don't mind paying what to do? You know? Like me is Tiffany, I was paying it before. I just it doesn't make sense. Like when people were like, yay, we're gonna get remember when everyone finally got their refunds and they realized that this new tax law wasn't so great after all, because it wasn't helping anyone that was actually needing the help. I was looking and I was like, you know, my accountant Carls, was like, yeah, you're you know you tax figure is going to drop. I'm like, what what why? I mean not, I mean, I guess it's nice to pay less.
Speaker 2: But what doesn't is you're turning a Republican.
Speaker 1: No, I honestly, I honestly was like, it doesn't make sense, you know, like, yeah, it doesn't make sense. And honestly, it's not fair because you are penalizing people for being for being regular, like for like you know, like preschool teacher tipany she needed fifteen percent, not me. Now I can't afford to pay more. And I don't mind paying more because I know it's supposed to contribute to the betterment of everyone. And so yeah, I just well, chah, let's see this next election. It's going to be a who is part of my French? A shit show? A lot of people say part of my French Like when they curse, what does that come from?
Speaker 2: Maybe the French are known for their vulgarity.
Speaker 1: I don't know many French because I was just thinking that, like people are like part of my friends. Shit.
Speaker 2: You're like, wait does that how does one say should show en Francis, all right, well, anyway, this is your this is your little mini twenty twenty election debate reminder. Tomorrow there is a debate. So if you're interested to see what these twenty eleven seventy eleven candidates have to say, if you're trying to whittle out to see who's legit and who's not, you can tune in on the twenty what's tomorrow the twenty sixth Wednesday, and there's another debate the twenty eighth or twenty seventh on Thursday.
Speaker 1: Now it's time we're into questions to answer questions from all our families. See this is not even at the end. Q U E s T I. Oh, And that's why I felt like I didn't whatever.
Speaker 2: I was just thrown off by the Mickey Mouse in the middle of the show.
Speaker 1: I keep it going your toes. One time in one of my videos, like I was like saying, hey, sign up for a free class or something like that, and I felt budgets and I forgot the D. I was like, b U g E D. I did not notice until someone was like pretty sure they'd be in.
Speaker 2: There, was like, yeah, there is I know the internet, but.
Speaker 1: It was hilarious because my my video editor. He was like, he put the numbers on the screen and said BU and when it came to the D there was a question mark and then he went on. I was like, oh, so you're petty, but I just thought it was hilary. He's like, you want me to keep it? I might keep it because I think people will get a kick out of it. But yeah, I'm not seems just like us. So we have any good question on you guys have been doing really great questions please, but I really appreciate them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you guys for sending us your questions. I'm gonna skip to the gram skip skip, skip to the gram again. You guys can hit us up on Instagram with your questions at Brand Ambition Podcast and I check those every week and we've got a couple there. You can still email us if you'd like to. If you like me get annoyed typing into a tiny phone. Sometimes, you can go to Brand Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com to answer your question, and I promise I will answer at least one question from email along with your Instagram questions, so you don't feel like I am favoring favoring any one person. So here we go, let's see so here. This question comes from Instagram user named Sinclair at Nachos and A. She says, Hi, ladies, I love your podcast. I'm the only person in my family who has any semblance of financial understanding and planning. My niece is twenty and just got her first job. I'm trying to convince her to open a checking and savings account and to start setting a little bit aside for emergency savings. However, her financially illiterate parents full shade her words, not mine, ardently her financial Her financially illiterate parents are telling her not to open any type of account and just to keep cash. Sounds like my dad. I've known her parents my whole life, and I know this is a mistake. Her money will just get lost and no one has seen it if she does that, How do I convince her that she needs to get an account so that her money is sitting some more safer than her underwear drawer. So I have been trying to convince my dad. And I won't tell you where he lives so you can go rob him, But I mean, I don't think you'd find very much. But literally, the man bald up socks, balled up mattresses, just all the linens in his closet. You know, that is where he stashes stuff. And it is just like boggling to me. But anyway, he he's a lost cause he's almost sixty years old. I'm not.
Speaker 1: We're here, right, we're here, right, we're here now, we're right. But for this young woman, there's hope. There is hope. And I would here's the thing, like, especially when it comes to young people, you know, the lecture, nobody cares. Nobody cares. Instead, you have to figure out how do I get her to want to? So I would say something like, you know, like you should definitely open the checking account because you get direct deposit and sometimes you actually get paid a day sooner. That way, the money's inside your account. So you see, like there's a benefit to not cashing out your money that if it lands in your checking account. Girl, you know, like like you know for sure got by paycheck and you can't lose it if you go to the check cashing place, do you know they take whatever percentage. So literally, in order for you to get your money, you have to spend money to get your money. I would lean into the benefits rather than the are you crazy, that's foolish, you know what I mean? Like so that I would do that to start, like having her understand like you need to save, you need to that's gonna be too much because she has to relearn a lot of things or just learn in general. So just start with super simple opening up a checking account. That's it. Get her to open it up, because she's gonna get her direct deposit, get her money a little sooner. She's not gonna have to wait. She's not gonna have to go to check cashing and spend money that way. I like, there's a story of a woman who I know. She she cashed her refund check a few thousand dollars at the check cashing place and lost the money, and so like sharing that kind of stuff like that's why I used to really open a check account so that way you know your money has landed there. And then once she does that, then you can start working toward you know, like you you have one hundred dollars left of in your checking girl, you know you can make some interest, even if it's just two or three dollars. You should put it in this online only savings account. Because they're actually gonna pay you money for keeping you money here. But do you see how you have to build when someone is adverse to making financial choices. I lean toward the positivity of it all and then building once I've gotten them to make take one step.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I feel like, you know, to be honest. And I have friends who do this. They like to keep a little bit of cash in the house for like the zombie apocalypse, you know, if it ever happens. And I'm cool with that. You know, I'm stockpiling bottles of water for the same reason. But you can think of, like how much, pointy, do you really need to have lying around the house? A couple hundred bucks, one hundred bucks, And like, once she has that, maybe it's a good tool just to get her to start thinking about saving. You know, let's try and save one hundred dollars so you can put it in your you know, your sock drawer and you have cash if an emergency comes up, or you know, if you need to run for your life and whatever the zombies are coming. And then that starts building the habit. And if you're starting her first job, like Tiffany said, it's going to be hard for her to even not have direct deposit into a checking account, like a lot of some companies you know, require it, and they get all up in the arms if you make them mail you a check, because actually host companies to mail you checks. Yes, you know, it's it's an expense for them. You could even show her, you know, once, like Tiffany said, starting her off small, just like opening and checking account, you know, just just just setting on for a deposit and just doing something very small. And then like once she's ready or once you feel like, okay, it's been a month or two, maybe I'll start talking to her about a savings account. Take one of those, like take a calculator online and show her what would happen to her money if she put it into a savings account, even earning like two percent, you know, like how much money she would earn versus how much money she could lose if she just gets those checks and cashes them, you know. And then that could like put a number to how much her money is working for her.
Speaker 1: And if you are you are financially like okay, honestly, maybe do a little matching with her, Like hey, you know, if you say one hundred dollars, I'll give you twenty five. If you say five hundred, I'll give you fifty, you know what I mean, Like, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know how it's a good incentive, you know, but just.
Speaker 1: Because that really then if you like and then you know, once you get to it, that and you kind of leave it. But I'm just something that's going to make her say, it doesn't have to be fifty. It could be ten dollars, it could be twenty, but you know, giving her some sort of because it's going to be really important that she Her parents could probably get away with living a cash life, but the truth of the matter is in this day and age, you cannot. You cannot. She has to, you know, and so she has to start somewhere, and she's super super young. So yeah, giving her a little bit of an incentive, like you know, hey, if you say for six months, you know, I'll put a little something in your account, you know. So, I mean it depends I don't know how much. Yeah, so, but yeah, definitely I'm glad that you're taking an interest in in your niece because that's truthfully, that's the only way you know, folks kind of go from where they are from to where they ought to be. Is that someone has to help them along. So I'm glad she has. You. Don't give up, I mean, it's okay to give up on her parents. Like I'm just joking, but.
Speaker 2: Maybe don't lead with your parents and don't know anything about money. Maybe I'll lead with that because like I do, and I know from experience coming to someone with personal finance advice and his self righteous attitude, which is not run them all if they don't want to hear you, like I've tried, definitely with positivity, looked with positivity. Well, thank you for your question, Thanks for being a good auntie. Yeah, let's see. So let's take this question from listener Katie Ann. Katie and I was like, how do you spell that? Katie Ann? Okay, she's got she's a small business owner with a really I think a question that will that will hit home for a lot anyone who's got side hustles and takes payment on the internet. She says, I love I love the show MANI and Tiffany and the conversations we have in my car. I have a question. Oh wait, she just goes on about chatting with us in the car. Okay, thank you all right, she says, all right, do you know if an online payment tool is cheaper than the fees PayPal charges. I do virtual admin work and bookkeeping as my side hustle, and I'm not too happy with sometimes when I see PayPal fies coming out. Case in point, a client just paid me five hundred and twenty five dollars and by the time I went to transfer it to my bank, it came down to five hundred and nine dollars. I know, right, petty, but still I know would love to hear your advice on cheaper payment tools.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just looking up now the difference between I use Stripe for my business STRPU. Because here's one thing. I'm part of this Facebook group called Build Brand Launch with Arsha Jones. It's a great group. It's like mostly brown women who are are in the beginning, middle and like whatever, like later stages of business, and so they ask a ton of questions and so one thing I've learned from that group is that PayPal is out of any of the processing systems. They are trigger happy. So let's just say, like, you know, you sell ten things and for some reason three people want to return PayPal's like, oh, this is scam and they will lock down your money almost indefinitely for some people. So it's very easy to trigger like a PayPal lockdown and for you to have to fight to get your money. So that's one PayPal. You know, I have not heard good things from you, but I like Stripe am because what I love about Stripe is that it's it's a great tool to collecting money. But Stripe, I think like Target uses Stripe. I think I think I heard that on how I built this, meaning that as you grow, Stripe can grow with you, Like there's no outgrowing Stripe unless you're a bigger than Target. But from what I'm what I'm reading is that many of the online transactions might be the same amount. But Stripe also has something called ah transactions, which PayPal doesn't. And so I would do a little bit of a little bit of research because, like I said, like I happen to like Stripe more. I don't know that it's the fees are definitely way cheaper, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think it's important to look at your different options. It's not just PayPal, and maybe if you're just getting started, does it make sense to use PayPal right now? Could people be doing, you know, ah transfers like tip set and just like direct to your bank account because I help you save some fees. If it's just a side hustle, you might want to look at those ways, or even Venmo. I don't know what the daily transfer limit is for Venom, and maybe that's a better option. I know I paid my dog walker via Venmo, and I don't think. I don't think that he got fees. I'm like touring. I'm towing the line because I'm not an accountant and I'm not a business attorney, so I'm like what's legal, But like you know.
Speaker 1: Like when you're not making, but if any of you I'm making. One thing I will say about PayPal that there's the benefit to PayPal in some ways is that if you because you know, if you make over six hundred dollars an adventure whatever, you are liabel to taxes. Right, So the thing about PayPal is if if you get paid over six hundred dollars, PayPal kind of like helps out with that whole tax situation. Like like, for example, if I pay Mandy seven hundred dollars, PayPal is going to like report and all that kind of stuff for her for her, whereas with Stripe and like other ones, you know, the owners on you to handle that. So I would just do a little digging and some research. And honestly, if you are, like if you're not part of some Facebook groups that are business focused, I would join because these are great. Depending on what kind of business you have, there are definitely transaction companies that are better suited, Like for my online school, that's what we use Stripe for and it works wonderfully, but it might not suit you if you sell like perses, you.
Speaker 2: Know, right, yeah, And you know it sucks when you think about taxes, but I mean, Tiffany, taxes is part of being a business owner. You just got it.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: Actually, if you want to pivot to make that your full time gig, like it hurts even more because you have to actively take out taxes. The government just doesn't do it for you. You have to guess how much you owe in taxes and it's gonna be complicated.
Speaker 1: And then Q four, So what happens with when you're a business and when you make I would say once you start making over six figures a year, you pay quarterly you're supposed to, or you might get a fine or a fee, so you pay quarterly and like, like Manda said, you're guessing, but let's just say you have a really great second half of the year. That means the money that you've been setting aside or paying the first it might not have been enough. So all of a sudden, like the end of the year, you're like, I owe how much more? Wait? Wait? And so yeah, but that's why getting yourself if nothing else, once you get past kind of like the like the beginning stages of business, getting yourself an accountant. Accountants are not that crazy expensive if you're making your business makes I would say m like maybe like high four figures, low five figures, you can afford a decent accountant you're looking at probably uh depends maybe a few hundred dollars for the year, so maybe like low maybe thousand, twelve hundred dollars, depending on how big your business is. But it's worth it because you know, knowing that you're not going to owe the federal government, which will be way more expensive, knowing that you can sit with them quarterly and like kind of have the conversation about where your business is going, Like your accountant should be able to advise you, or should I go from being a sol entrepreneur now should I be an employee of my business versus self employed? Do I give myself insurance? Like your accountant can answer all those kind of questions so that way you're not kind of flailing in the wind. So definitely looking for an accountant that that specializes in small businesses as well. That's going to be so helpful. Like Carlos is not just my accountant, he's like my business like coach almost because every quarter when I meet with him, he goes over everything and really makes suggestions based upon my personal life, the business life, and what's going to be best in the long run for the for the number that I'm going to have to pay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you're small now, and also think about the money that you're making versus what you're losing to these you know, a small tax fee because with you know, the side hustle, like you're making five hundred bucks in the side that's amazing. Yep, that's great. And you know you wouldn't have had that if you hadn't taken the initiative to set up your side hustle. So celebrate it. Don't be a baby tax evader. Nothing. We're trying to be just kidding. They will find you though. All right, thank you so much for your question, and thanks for being such a loyal listener. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you want to take or take.
Speaker 2: One more from the email inbox. So this question is a repeat question. Apparently we missed her question the first time around. Sorry, miss ron La. But Rona has a question about leasing a car already, she says on a recent episode, what stands out is that one of you talked about buying a car, and you gave lots of tips on getting the best rates. But what are your thoughts on car leasing? My husband and I currently have one car that we lease, but it's definitely a money drain, both in principle and interest. I dread paying this bill each month. Do you know if refinancing a car lease is feasible with banks or credit unions? This is our only vehicle and we still have months to go on this lease. Thank you very much. So Ronally wants to get out of a car lease. I did some research on this and we've actually written a couple of articles at lending Tree about this and good news and bad news. The bad us is that there's not really a way to refinance a lease with another bank, so you're kind of stuck with it. One of the most common ways to get out of a camp, to get out of a car lease, especially if you're unable to afford the payment, which it sounds like you guys are, is to potentially transfer the lease. Now, this would suck because you'd have to like give up the car, but if you are able to do it successfully, then maybe you could get a car that has a lower payment, you know, or maybe your credit has improved since you've got this original lease and you can qualify for a better rate on a car note and find a car that you can afford. So to transfer it. There's a couple of websites out there that you can look look into theres swap a lease, Lease quit lease Trader, and least compare dot com.
Speaker 1: I don't know why it's so funny, but I'm just like it's okay. We're like, okay, I see you like directly your messaging and marketing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, least least quit dot com. But you want to check with your leasing company first to see if it allows transfer. You want to look into the fees of transferring, and of course we'll get any tax costs that you may have to occur. And the reason it's so success, you know, so many of these exist is that there's people out there who want to take over leases because it's more affordable for them, or they don't want the full like whatever the full lease term is and they want a partial lease term or something like that. So that's an option for you.
Speaker 1: That's good. I never heard of that. That's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I'll share this article with you, but you know, first and foremost, and we've got a whole episode on like auto loan debt, because I'm so passionate about the fact that in America people are so crazy about their cars, and car debt can be It's just one of those things because you can talk yourself into because you need that car to get to work, and you might as well be a good car and you want to be seen in a great car and all that kind of thing. There's plenty of people out there that aren't driving fancy cars that are in car debt too. But as much as you can, if you could get that car payment down or get an affordable car that that you know is not going to be a burden to you, each month and free up cash flow for other things like savings. Please do it. The car should not be eating up the majority of your budget. So anything anything else on car leases to.
Speaker 1: No, I mean it done. It's done if you're done right. You know, they don't have to be super detrimental, but it does get Like I remember my sister actually used Magnified money when she was leasing because at the time, she's like, really, I can't afford, you know, a brand new car. But she needed like a newer car because she her drive was like forty five minutes or an hour or something like that, so she couldn't have a car that couldn't take you know, like the beating basically, so she leased a I don't know, it wasn't brand brand new. I think she at least like whatever, like a two year old car, a euro car something like that. But she used Magnified money to really get the financing together, so it ended up being a really good option where she could get a newer car for less money. It was just a good choice for her at the time. So just be mindful, like you know, like when you're sometimes you know, leasing is it's not necessarily ideal, but sometimes it affords you the opportunity to get something you might not be able to technically afford it, as like if you were buying the car straight out. But you know, like I didn't even know people bought to go releases like that. I think that's pretty awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so well, I'm not anti lease. I think you know, my husband and I were looking at the mileage on our car. We bought it three years ago. We haven't even hit thirty six thousand miles, and I'm like, we get at lease this thing, because leasing, you know, as if you're if you have a short commute and you don't need the car that much. Some people choose to lease because it can be a little bit the payments can be a little bit less each month, and you have the option to get a different car after three years and you but the key is you have to really be sure that you're not going to hit go over that mileage requirement. Typically it's like thirty somethings thirty thousand something miles over the least period, and if you go over that, it's like so many fees, Oh my god, so many Like my my friend got stuck well a ton of lease fees because he didn't anticipate getting a job in DC and then coming back and forth to New York. OUCHA, yeah so ow, but yeah, if you do the math and it works out in your favor. You know, my friend's family had their grandparents come to help them with childcare, and they decided to lease a car for them to use just when they're in town, which seemed to make sense versus getting you know, a car outright, so it can be a good option. I'll include a link to like a lease versus by calculator as well, so you can see what the difference would be like if you guys are on the fence out there.
Speaker 1: Yes, let's do that, all right, Miss.
Speaker 2: Lana, Miss ron La. Sorry, thank you for your question. Hopefully that was good. Well. I'll include a couple of links in the show notes about the article I was mentioning, and thank you guys for your questions.
Speaker 1: Yes, boost a break or boost a break? Boost to break or boost the break? Can you tell? There's certain things that when you say, like your neck has to go that side to side, like boost to break, you know that you know that the move I'm making manny, like the like the bobblehead, like you know the side the side like boost the break, boost the break.
Speaker 2: Sound like interestingle bubblehead. I was thinking, you know, what I was thinking is more of like a neck twist, which like bubble heads, just like bobble at the top of the head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe it is more of a next twist, but it's like it's like a zigzag, like.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, yeah, I got you. Yeah the zigzag help.
Speaker 1: Break boost the prey. Now the shoulders are in it, boost the bay and I got my hands up. Okay. Anyway, how you gotta boost that, you gotta have break woof.
Speaker 2: After that, I gotta take a boost. I got a boost. So I have been along. I was like very anti yoga for a long time. I thought it was boring. I thought it was stupid. I was like, I can stretch for free, I can find videos online and I can stretch and it's great. But in the past couple of months I actually started taking yo id a couple of yoga classes, one during Mental Health Awareness Month because we organized it for our team at work, like as an option has something to do. Ended up taking that class and then just randomly took a couple of other yoga classes and I didn't realize how it's not just about the stretching, you know. It's no, you're not going to go there and sweat unless you're doing like Bickram. You're not going to go there and sweat and get your cardio. But for me, it's been I've started to do it more often because it really helped me feel calmer and more relaxed. And I'm always trying to find ways to chill out and like with my anxiety just you know, I was my anxiety was kind of getting so bad that I was clenching my jaw at night and I had all these this really bad job pain where I couldn't chew and I couldn't open my mouth for a wide back in May and June or earlier this month, and my dentist was like, honestly, it's stress. So if you can find a way to like de stress, then that can help. So I've started to go to yoga at least once a week and I really enjoy it, and yeah, it's stretching and it's kind of free through. I picked the beginner classes because no, I'm not standing on my on my head just yet. I'm not doing all those puzzel moves and my favorite part of the yoga class is usually the last ten minutes of the class. You just like sit in the dark and they turn the lights out and you just either they're like you know, either they're saying some really relaxing things or it's just silence and you just sit there and you're just mindful and present and maybe you think about something positive or think about nothing. And I love that. Just five ten minutes in a dark room at the end, and I just feel so good afterwards. So I'm on team yoga, y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I used to. I used to take a bunch of yoga classes. I actually like my favorite yoga instructor on YouTube is Tara Styles, and I don't not just like her voice and she just like, I don't know, she just has a calming spirit. So when I get back to yoga, that's who I I typically don't. I haven't taken like an inn class yoga class in a while, but I feel like i'd like that. I actually really do enjoy yoga, So welcome, Welcome to the other side.
Speaker 2: I still can't when they do the home at the end, I'm like I can't.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, all right, I'm here what the worst is, like not the worst, but you know how at the end they have you sometimes late I have totally fall asleep before.
Speaker 2: Like oh, one hundred percent. I fell asleep last week because she was talking to me and it was had the same effect as what I used audio books to shut my brain up at night and just like go to sleep. And it was just like she was talking and telling us a story and I probably I probably snored, but I was out.
Speaker 1: I mean, I would say it's the best. I'm like, oh, this is yoga. I can just lay down to sleep. Well, I am going to boost. This is like a silly boost. But I am sitting and we're in our I'm still in our old apartment. So by this by the time we take next week, we'll be in the new house. But I cannot wait because I didn't want to have outside noise because we have like no like loud neighbors. So I closed all the windows and we had a fan because we already took out our of our AC's. Plus AC is loud, and we had a fan in the window and that's loud. So I am sitting in a hot box right now, sweating bullets. I cannot wait. Until the new house where we have we have a split level system for AC. That's like I don't know the difference on a split level and a regular level. Either way, it's central air and it's so quiet, Mandra, so I can actually have a cool environment. But I'll tell you, I am a sweat like I am, like literally, I think.
Speaker 2: It's not the day to not have air conditioners.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, it's so hot in here. But I don't want like the plan blowing in the background. You see how much I love you, pa listeners. I am literally sitting in a hot box at the last hour, sweating up a store. I've probably lost two pounds, but yeah, honestly, just a boost for like, you know, patients and getting in the new house and AC baby, and so yeah, I cannot wait the next time we take I shall be there.
Speaker 2: We're on the only podcasters sweating in rooms with no air conditioning though, like that's just a podcast. If you're going to start a podcast, you need to find a quiet room. Like even Terry Gross, you know, even pre Burarra for his podcast was complaining about how hot it is because they can't have the AC on these rooms. So it's you know, it's what we do for our craft.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean I love y'all, but I would be doing it with the ac next time. But yeah, that's just my boosts on the house.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited it's done.
Speaker 1: Yes, I cannot wait. I can't wait to have a first Thanksgiving and we're definitely going to have a housewarming and you know, like probably some sort of summer barbecue whatever. I just want to have like a gathering spot like our apartments not really a gathering spot because it's just too small. And so when I had my condo when I was in my mid twenties, I mean, all my girlfriends, we were all like young and single, and all my sisters they would we would they would come over all the time. So I really just enjoy having you know, people over, And just like I said, we don't have that as much here. It's like one or two friends at a time, just because our place is small here. But so I just can't wait to come back to that, like, hey, you can always come. You don't have to have a special occasion, just come to the house. You know, it's beautiful. No, thank you, you're welcome.
Speaker 2: I know exactly how I feel. So congrats. Go next go nest enjoy Happy anniversary too, Yeah, and happy birthday to my husband. His birthday is the same day.
Speaker 1: Oh is it so now? I'll never forget it.
Speaker 2: Say that next year too. But you did, though I can check the tapes.
Speaker 1: No, I probably because I literally have the worst memory that it's hilarious. I will forever be grateful for I look at my fridge, I'm like, thank you, Mandy's husband.
Speaker 2: I didn't believe you last year, and I don't believe.
Speaker 1: You this year. I can. We forgot just like that, and I literally have no recollection. I'm telling you, I've been eighties since I was eight, So there's that.
Speaker 2: I love you anyway, just the way you are.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all, It's been an awesome episode, ask for usual. I just love that we're getting way more love on via social. Please tweet us, please instagram us, facebook us. We really love the social outreach. Tell a friend to tell a friend, you know. I just I just I someone like set a picture. I think they sent me like a DM or they posted on their IG where she was giggling as she I guess she was walking in the park about my cat story, and I was like, what did I say? I forgot that. I said I took my cat.
Speaker 2: That's my favorite cat story. I love that story.
Speaker 1: But we love that feedback. If you, if me or Mandy says anything that you really enjoy, I love, like, please show us your reaction and that we like. It motivates us to move forward because I feel like we're all friends. So you know, we just love hearing from you.
Speaker 2: At the BA podcast on Twitter and at Brandonition Podcast on Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yes, you know, I forgot that, so I was like, hopefully Mandy will jump.
Speaker 2: I'm always looking for holes to fill. I'm just kidding, all right, y'all, all right, Mandy, all right, Happy Brandon miss on Wednesday.
Speaker 1: Bye b