Speaker 1: I Am all In.
Speaker 2: You. I Am all In with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: This is the I Am All In Podcast. Everybody listening will be thrilled to know that this is Amy, Suzanne, Tar, and Danielle. It's a girls episode. Uh, everybody couldn't be happier. It couldn't be happer that I'm here. Guess what, Suzanne, Suzanne and Tar and Danielle are here also, But we are joined by another Amy and the reason we wanted to have Amy on and we're really actually super excited to have this conversation. Amy, tell your story before I reveal it, and then everyone will understand why you're here.
Speaker 2: Okay, So I had commented on the I Am all In page on Instagram and I was just kind of annoyed because you guys had been discussing it for a while and I was just like, I do not agree with Amy, sugarman whatsoever.
Speaker 1: That's good. I can take it. I can take it. I'm glad you're here.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I'd like that about you. I love that you're willing to listen to what everybody has to say. But basically, when I was pregnant with my son, my husband had got a phone call when he was at work, and then he contacted me right after that. An ext girlfriend had reached out and said that she had gotten pregnant a few years while she had gotten pregnant while they were they had broken up already, she found out she was pregnant and he could possibly be the father of her child. So she was reaching out to see if he was willing to take a DNA test.
Speaker 1: So wait, before you give us the more of that story, I'd love to know right away how he felt. And obviously, unlike Luke, he told you immediately and how did you feel?
Speaker 2: So he was terrified, but he was just kind of more so he believed it because he had said, you know, it is a possibility, timeline do line up correctly. You know, what are we going to do? Type of thing. And I was terrified because I was pregnant with our child. So I'm just like, oh my god, what are we going to do? I already had a bonus daughter. He had a daughter that was four at the time, so I figured it, well, yeah, so I kind of figured, well, if we have to figure this out, then I guess we just have another you know, we're gonna have to deal with it. We're going to have to figure out how we're going to fit this into our lives and where we're going to go from there. But we were both extremely terrified because if it was so, we were going to have to have that conversation with you know, my bonus daughter as well as you know, might been when he was, you know, whenever he'd be old enough to understand what was going on.
Speaker 3: And that daughter, the four year old, is from another woman, not from the one who okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, not from the same one.
Speaker 1: No, So okay, So I have many many questions, one being this is this?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Like, how many years ago was this this?
Speaker 2: We will be celebrating fourteen years next month. So my oldest is eleven, so eleven years ago, eleven twelve.
Speaker 1: Years Shortly, it was a few years after, maybe even ten years after Gilmore Girls. So to bring it back as a fan, did you watch Gilmore Girls in its first run or did you discover it later?
Speaker 2: No, I watched it first run. I was actually in sixth grade when it first came out. Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: So did you have any like memory of going, oh my god, this happened on Gilmore Girls?
Speaker 2: Yes, I did because I still was like a I still watched it when the DVDs came out. I bought every single DVD as they came out. I still to this day, even my seven year old daughter, No Gilmore Girls, Luke, Loreli, the whole shabang. My kids all know because I've always been obsessed. So for You're like.
Speaker 1: I'm definitely not going to handle this the way they did.
Speaker 2: Yes, Jefferson is definitely. I will say this though, as much like I'm so bummed that Scott's might here, but my husband reminds me so much of like a Luke character, and I really think that has a lot to do with why I fell in love with him, because he reminded me so much of Luke.
Speaker 1: Well, you make a good point in that, like Luke is a good guy, Like we all love Luke, now, he's not perfect. So when you're watching this, and I still obviously want to hear how this plays out, but when you're watching Gilmore Girls and rewatching it, what is your take on the way Luke acts when he finds out about April.
Speaker 2: I completely understand that having no idea what to do, but again, like I've just like, how can you not this is your partner, this is your you're supposed to you know, you love this woman. How do you not tell her right away? Like you know, this is what's going on. And you know, even if he had had explained to her like you know what, I don't want you to meet her right away, but we will find a date. So with that I agree with Suzanne. I'm like, you know, let's let's put something here so you know where we're going, rather than just oh, well, you're not going to meet her and that's that.
Speaker 3: How how long after he found out did he call you?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Was it a couple of days? Was it right away? Oh?
Speaker 2: No, it was right away. He had hung up with her, and then he called me that he was leaving work because he wanted to come home, and you know, he was telling me what happened, and he was telling me on the drive home.
Speaker 1: So see, that was the smart thing to do. I admire him for that. I will say that, as much as I try to defend Luke I and sort of give him the benefit of the doubt, I admire and much prefer what your husband did to what Luke did. I've never said it was the better choice. It was just his choice, and I'm trying to find, you know, support for Luke and the decision he made. That being said, okay, so then what happens Amy, So you so obviously he gets the DNA test?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, and she had kind of we were a little upset because he and I had discussed, Okay, well, if this is the case, we're gonna, you know, we obviously he would need to meet with her, he would need to meet with his child and go from there, set up a plan, figure out visitation or whatever. And we were kind of upset because she had told him, well, you know, I want to find out if you're his father or not, but you're not gonna have visitation. Oh because yeah, because she was involved with another guy while she she got pregnant. She didn't know if it was my husband's child or the other guy's child, and the other guy was still with her, so when we were raising the child together and the other guy had no idea, no.
Speaker 1: I would be upset by that too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So wow, oh my gosh, okay, I almost want to be like, and we're going to take a break and when we come back, we will find that.
Speaker 4: Right since then that guy knows now though, right, like.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, oh yeah, yeah, we don't we know yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Amy, I still have many questions, but is it your husband's child?
Speaker 2: It is not?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, whoa? So tell us how that kind of all went down and sort of the waiting period, whoa, I know?
Speaker 2: So okay, the moment he showed me the picture of the child, I told him this is not your child. He has no resemblance to your daughter, there's no nothing. But then my husband had made a point. He was like, well, you and your siblings don't look anything alike either, And you guys have a different gag because my mom and dad got beforce, my mom moved on had more children, and I do I look exactly like my dad. My sister looks exactly like her dad. Wow. I thought, okay, you know you're right in that sense. Well, we'll do what we have to do to find out. And then when it came to that it was not his child, he was just kind of like, okay, well you know it's not mine, but you know, we had to make sure that the other guy knew as well, because we were not going to just let that go by like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So had he did he meet the.
Speaker 2: Child no, we did not know we met with her.
Speaker 4: Okay, So it's almost as if she had a shadow of doubt and was like, I need to make sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's odd that she didn't just oh I know why she didn't just get the DNA test with him, because she never proved and that there was a possibility. So that's why she came to you. Guys. This is such a weird thing. But like I understand sort of you'd be relieved, but maybe a little let down as you're preparing, Like in your mind you're going, okay, well we're going to do this, We're going to do this, We're going to have this third child. How did you feel or just feel relief? I mean all all would be fine.
Speaker 2: Honestly, it was a little bit of a letdown because he she had, you know, when we had seen the picture, we were just like, okay, you know, if he's part of our family, we'll make it work. I mean, we're blended already, so we were kind of, you know, in the ups about it and just kind of excited and thought, well, you know that if if it is, we'll buy bunk that's for the boys. They can share a room. We can figure this outling. You know, yeah, we were. We were already planning.
Speaker 3: So did you tell.
Speaker 4: Your kids this or no? Not until it was fine obvious?
Speaker 1: Oh you did.
Speaker 2: I We told him just because I was so excited when I got the message from Jackie. So our oldest over overheard us talking, and then my daughter heard heard me say, Luke, what you're gonna need? Luke had to tell them.
Speaker 1: Because you know what I want to know. When you rewatch Gilmore Girls and this storyline comes up, it must land so differently on you because you have such a personal sort of tie to it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does, and I do. Like whenever I've come to this episode, it always I always wonder about him and think, you know, I wonder if he's okay, I wonder how he's doing, you know that type of thing. You know, it does. And then I get so serious that Luke, because I'm like, come on, I know you're better than this. Yeah, I know, You're so much better than this. Just tell her, Tell her.
Speaker 3: That was my That's what I was going to ask is, how do you think, as kind of being the Laurel I in the situation, how do you think Laurel I handled it? Like, do you think that.
Speaker 1: I guess that's a question.
Speaker 3: How do you think Laurrela I handled it.
Speaker 2: She was extremely calm to me when she walked in and she saw April doing the salt and peppers, because that would not have been a calm, calm situation for me, right, you know, I really think I and I totally agree, that was not her character to be hiding. Like when she's hiding and she has Patty Tom, she's not there and like, no, no, no, no, no, this is so not her. But I mean I was just kind of angry with her too, like just just have this conversation and it breaks my everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Every time she's standing out there, she's crying to him and they're fighting in the street and she's but I love you, Luke, I love you. I'm like, girl, we love him too. It's like it always gets me. It always, yeah, it always. And then when you see him show up and he has the car packed and everything, and I totally disagree with Scott. I think he did so good. I cry every time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Suzanne likes that scene too. Yeah, yeah, I totally disagree.
Speaker 2: I'm like Scott did so well, Like I if he did not do well, there'd be no reason for me to be crying every time I see that episode, even though I know he's there, I know what's coming.
Speaker 3: What do you think of everything that happened with Anna in her store?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: How Anna reacted?
Speaker 2: Yeah? She I feel she Anna was so childish, And you know what, I had to deal with that with my daughter, my bonus Laughter's mom, because I had to explain her I am not trying to take your place. I'm simply her friend. I am not trying to be her mom. She has you for that, you know. And I'm here. I'm here to stay. I'm not going anywhere. And she felt the same way, like, well, it's not permanent, nothing's permanent. About fourteen years, I'd say, well it's pretty permanent, lady. So it's like, I totally don't agree with Anna.
Speaker 3: Do you still have that conversation with her all these years later?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's a good question. What is your relationship like now?
Speaker 2: So I have had no conversations with her in years because our bonus Laughter she just turned eighteen, so once she was like around twelve years old, she got a cell phone, so we pretty much would just be able to contact her that way and she still comes. She was just here, you know right now. She's loving it because she has her license so she to take her younger siblings back and forth to school. So, you know, we have a good relationship and everything's perfect with she and I, but you know, it was difficult with her mom because we tried to bring her in and you know, hey, Christmas, this year is with us. Are You're more than welcome to join us, so you don't miss out on that with her. And you know Halloween, you can come trick or treating with all of us, and she will just really pushed back and was just not having it at all.
Speaker 1: So gosh, I mean, that's like you guys have really tried, and both you and your husband deserve credit for look, like I said, handling it all of this in a better fashion than Luke Lorlai Anna everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I really think it has to do with the fact that both of us come from broken homes. Like my father I'm sorry, not my father. My husband doesn't have a relationship with his dad. I My parents were divorced when I was small. I didn't have a good relationship with my dad growing up either, so we really did not want that with our kids.
Speaker 1: Do you have any compassion for the way Luke deals with it? Like, is there anything in there where you're like, I can I understand it?
Speaker 2: Is just like you, I understand where he's saying he wants that relationship with April outside of lore life for a while, to get to know her and understand her because Loreli is a very bubbly person and who wouldn't want to hang out with Loreley? I mean any of us. I totally agree with you, Amy when you're like, I, you know what I would do to be Lorelai for a day? Oh so what I you know? I And I totally understand that. And same with my husband. He would have father daughter days. They would go to the park, they'd go to the movies, they would go to steph alone. I had no problem with it because growing up with having daddy issues, I didn't want that for her, So I totally understand. But my only issue again is like express this to her. Let Laurlae know, you know this is this is the situation, and obviously you know you don't want it to go on for ten fifteen years because they wanted to have children together as well. So it's like, just find a way to just kind of, you know, introduce her slowly maybe and you know, you know, let's do a dinner together all of us and bring Rory and you know, make it a family event. You know, for Luke to have been wanting, you know, when he bought the big house and you know we're gonna fill it with children, I mean, it was just totally off character for me with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it could have been handled so much better. I agree with that completely. I just try so hard to give to come from a place of even if he's making a bad decision with how he's handling this, this is how he's handling it, and I'm trying to be supportive of that. I think that's always been sort of my message that has probably gotten lost in a bunch of different ways. But it's like, this is the choice he's making. I don't know. And Lorla always was, like I said, faking it, that she was going along with it, and I always have felt that's what caused the big eruption and ultimately the breakup. In where we're at in the series.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure. I really think she should have expressed herself more as well, because she kind of just played the part and just went along with it knowing and we can all see she's uncomfortable. She really needed to express that. I really think that lack of communication there is what really took it further.
Speaker 1: I agree, I think it was the problem. And before you go, we would like to know how do you feel about season seven because we're only two episodes in and we do seem to be struggling a little bit with season seven not being what the first six seas.
Speaker 2: For me, and I totally agree with Scott when he says, give the people what they want. Season seven could have been all about. You know, they have their wedding, they get pregnant, they have a baby, they lived happily ever after, and let us just figure out what Rory's going to do because she drives.
Speaker 3: Without without giving spoilers for Danielle, what did you think of the movies?
Speaker 2: I hate the movies?
Speaker 1: I don't Yeah, I don't hate.
Speaker 2: They did not they did not do justice. What is with the musical number? You get rid of the musical number?
Speaker 1: But do you prefer that or season seven?
Speaker 2: Oh? I prefer the movies only because we have I don't know if y'all have their headphones and or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Danielle'll just take your headphones off.
Speaker 4: I'll take him off. I'll take them I can just you can go.
Speaker 1: Daniel Oh my gosh, sad.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna take him off, and you guys can talk about spoilers.
Speaker 2: It's just good just because we have we finally see them together. Yeah, that's my thing. That's all we've ever wanted and we finally have them together. And episode nineteen, that is literally my favorite Luke moment at the very end with the whole bike and fixing the car and do that for me. That I how my husband that moment you did. He did something almost similar for me because my car broke down. I cried. I didn't want to let it go. He did almost the exact same thing for me, and I told him that was my loose moment with you. She's like, yeah, that's cute.
Speaker 1: Until you get to that one. I think I like the movies because we got our friends backed, you know what I mean, Like we've been away from them for so long and the fact that they we got them back. I just was so my expectations were so high and I was so disappointed. And then it also did feel a little I bet. I was actually thinking about this in the shower the other day because I'm like preparing to talk about them, and it's like, we get so much Peter Krauser, and I love Peter Krause, but I'm like what and we get so much Set and Foster and I'm just like what, Like there's a lot of sort of crap in there that I'm just like.
Speaker 3: I think, I think maybe this is just the me thing. But I think I really liked it because it came into my life when I feel like I really really wanted more Gilmore and I got it, and I luckily I actually went to the premiere of it, So I think for me it means something a little bit different because the whole cast was there and it was my favorite show and I disliked season seven so much, and it was like redemption for me.
Speaker 1: I just am so not into Rory the movie incarnation of Rory. I'm like, yeah, yeah, character.
Speaker 3: And also not having Richard and it was the hardest thing to see. And I think that's another part piece of it that people don't like, is which I mean, that's.
Speaker 1: Just reality, right, Like that was just real. Yeah, But it was a hard watch for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: But I think that's what I liked about it because it was a reality for them, Like, yeah, we never.
Speaker 1: I never was Bob. I thought that was handled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like we never saw anything in seven season seven seasons of the show where they've been through heartbreak, but this was a different kind of heartbreak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely. And you know what, I have lost my dad around that same time that those movies, So seeing that and then having them go through that loss and that struggle and the family fighting and being you know, all of that, I went through the same thing. So it's like, man, I went through I lived through this all my teenage years watching Gilmore, and now I'm going through it again.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But it was good to see Taylor and all that because I think he's just the funniest in the movie. But I was just, yeah, I'm like, they could have done without this musical number. We could have had the wedding, we could have had so many more things.
Speaker 3: I definitely forgot about that.
Speaker 2: So you just.
Speaker 1: Well, Amy, you're rat Like I was like looking forward to talking to you about like everything you've been through and hearing your perspective, but this is this is a great conversation and I love, like just your whole energy and vibe and the way you talk about Gilmore too. So thank you so much. We can't thank you enough for being so open and sharing your story with us.
Speaker 2: No, thank you guys so much. Coming back for episode nineteen because that is my absolutely.
Speaker 1: Actually great idea, Jackie. Make sure that we do that. Make sure that we do that. We'll make sure God is on And yeah, Amy, Like, I think what you said that really is resonated with me. And what I've kind of realized is even though I have my opinion because I love the character of Luke and I want to support him, it doesn't mean that I think he made the best choice. I just think he made his choice. And I'm trying to everybody's so mad about his choice, and I'm always like, but that's what he made, so let's find some grace for him. But I think you make great points and that like, yeah, there is a better way. There was a better way for all of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I understand, like, and at the end of the day, no matter what, that's his child, that's his decision, saying with you know my children, and you know, Gimielle, that she's a new mom. It's like, we know who we're going to allow around our children, and we know who we're not going to allow, and for whatever reason, you know, it's just it just kind of sucks that it happened to me, Lorlay. But you know, at least we get the movies, and you know, it's better with the movies.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and actually I think the finale of the series it has its moments too, so there's some redeeming things in season seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know Scott's not here to ask, but I'm definitely team Jess all the way. Oh yeah, adult Jess. I love Jess.
Speaker 1: Adult Jess is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is always my daughter to my daughter loves Jess. She's like, I love Jess and like yet me fee girl. I know.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, Amy, where are you guys?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: What? Where? What state are you in? Where do you guys live?
Speaker 2: I'm in California, I'm are you?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Then we must stay in touch for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm actually going to be in La tomorrow because we go to church in LA. So we're in It's good Friday, so we'll be out there tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Happy Eastern and we'll talk to you soon. Thank you so much, and say hello to your husband, who sounds like you got a good guy.
Speaker 2: He's actually right here, he's been sitting listening.
Speaker 1: Good guy. What's his name? I do, I'm sorry, what's his name? His name is Ricky, Ricky, Ricky. Well, happy Easter, have a great weekend, and we will talk to you soon. And we'll make sure Scott connects with you too.
Speaker 2: Yes, please and keep me in mind for episode nineteen. It's my favorite.
Speaker 1: We will talk to you soon, all right, thank.
Speaker 2: You, bye, by
Speaker 3: Hey everybody, and don't forget follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.