Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome to another episode of the Odd Lots podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Jolle Wisenthal and I'm Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 2: Tracy, you know, we've been talking a lot about the US energy system for obvious reasons, at least when it comes to electricity. I don't know about you. I kind of feel like the more we talk about it, the less I understand it.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, absolutely, I think there are a couple problems here. So, like, even beyond the actual different technologies for generating power, there's the patchwork of like how different grids work in different states. There's the different regulations, the different like interoperability and all of that. And then even if we look like beyond the US, it gets I guess even more different.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I sort of wonder maybe we can learn something about the US by a little compared and contrast. Right, So if we look at the US and we still don't totally get how it works, maybe, I don't know, just to thought, maybe we'll learn something about the US by looking at some different system and then we have something to compare it to. It might be a weigh in by looking at the outside world.
Speaker 3: I'm a big fan of doing this, by the way, just to identify like different choke points in a particular domestic process. If you think that the US can't do something for whatever unidentifiable reason or I don't know, cultural like hold back, but if you look at a different country and they're doing it at scale, very very quickly, then I think you can learn a lot about yourself.
Speaker 2: Well, that's exactly right. And so one of the things again that comes up from time to time here in our conversations is nuclear and this is just one example of a source of power that may or may not be important in our future. But according to and I'm looking at a story from the Economist, over the past decade, China has added thirty seven nuclear reactors according to the International Atomic Energy Agency. I don't know, maybe we've added like two. I forget how many there are at that Georgia plant. A couple more maybe restarted. But you know, we talk all the time about nuclear and how hard it is and how hard the financing is and the labor force and the learning laws, and we forgot to you know, we forgot how to build them for various reasons. But that's not and it's so expensive. There's all these cost overruns every time. But apparently that is not the case everywhere, and that there are other parts of the world, particularly China, where they just keep building its scale, and maybe we could learn a little bit of how they do that, and how they finance it, and how they avoid forgetting how to build them.
Speaker 3: I think this is so interesting, this particular approach that compare and contrast, and it is absolutely true. I think the US has the most nuclear reactors out there, like almost one hundred or something like that, but it took us decades and now to build them, and as you rightly point out, we haven't built many new ones that recently. Meanwhile, China is adding more and more, and they make it look easy. I mean, I guess they are just like giant things to boil water. But you know, China really makes it look easy. So what can we learn from China?
Speaker 2: We really do have the perfect guests. By the way, we've had this guest on in the past. We talked to him about something completely different.
Speaker 3: Yes, this was during the depths of the COVID crisis, Yes, and we were talking to this person. He was based out in Shanghai, and we were talking basically about how they were getting food into apartment buildings and staying alive during that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was an interesting sort of logistical story and its own right. If you're under complete lockdown in a Shanghai apartment building, how do you actually get food? And anyway, I'm thrilled because now we're recording this December seventeenth, twenty twenty four, we are talking to him in completely different times.
Speaker 3: He's been freed from lockdown.
Speaker 2: He is now here in studio with us, So we are going to be speaking with David Fishman, senior manager at the Lantau Group. He's based in China typically where he mostly focuses on the Chinese energy system. So literally the perfect guest and a repeat guest. So, David, thank you for coming on. Odd lads, welcome to New York City, welcome back.
Speaker 4: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: What do you do the only other time we talked to you, The only thing we knew about you is that you were figuring out how to get food into your apartment. What do you do now when that's no longer the pressing issue?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Sure, So I work at a company called the Landau Group. We are an economic consultancy. We're doing power and gas consulting across APAC and so I'm focused on China. I'm in the China office. We're doing the business of electricity. So for me, that means either somebody who wants to build an electricity generation asset, wants to sell one, wants to sell a portfolio of assets, wants to invest in one, maybe through a fund or as some other type of investment product. And then on the what we'd call our downstream, who uses the electric city, right, your major multinationals, your factories, anybody who uses electricity as an input to produce things. So we're working in the business of electricity, trying to make buying and selling electricity more economic for everybody involved.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just going to dive into the nuclear aspect of this.
Speaker 4: Then.
Speaker 3: You know, Joe gave us some contours around how much China is currently building. When did China decide that it was interested in nuclear and what was the sort of like thought process the strategy about how nuclear would fit into everything else, including the coal power that China is famous for using.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the history of the Chinese civil nuclear power industry goes back to stems back to the eighties. So looking at you know, the mid to late eighties is when China was signing agreements to bring in its first nuclear reactor technology. At the time, it was there are two different paths that were pursuing. They signed an agreement with Framatome, a French company, to bring over one reactor, and they developed domestic reactor with at the time the Soviet Union to have a domestic technology tree as well. So in the eighties, China was actually experiencing some pretty rapid economic growth, especially in the late eighties, and looking to expand its power supply rapidly, and at the time it was quite tight, and so nuclear was seen as a potential way to expand the power supply and get into a power generation for what was at the time something very new for China. What did you so?
Speaker 2: I mentioned, literally from just reading the first paragraph of a paywalled economist story that number of about thirty seven new nuclears saw one just like I just google how many new clear reactors are big built in China? Scrolled down until I find something in the Google search. This is how the research is done, folks. Well, why don't you, in your words give us a sense of the size and scale of Chinese civil nuclear generation and where it's going, and then sort of like the role it generally plays in the overall portfolio there, sure describe.
Speaker 4: It, Yeah, sure so. So nuclear in China has the interesting status of being both relatively large and still somehow small. Large in the sense that it's one of the largest operating fleets in the world. Right, You've got you know, fifty almost sixty reactors operating. We're talking about nearly sixty gigawatts of generation capacity. But then in the context of China's entire generation fleet, right, they've got well over one thousand gigawatts of coal and then many more thousands of gigawatts of wind and solar. So it's both large in the context of the world, but also small. And that's the case for a lot of things in China. The thing that can be large in China can also And what's.
Speaker 2: The ambition for you know, looking out, you know, in a five year plant, I don't know how whether they do that for energy? Two, where is nuclear potentially? How much could nuclear be a thing? What's the size and scale.
Speaker 4: Of the ambition?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Sure so long term, I mean it depends on how your energy planners and your economic planners and vision the long term makeup of the grid. What type of power are we using in twenty fifty. Is it going to be a little bit or a medium amount or a lot of nuclear? So it's scenarios, right, and China has scenarios too for a high end a low end. So the recent scenarios that I've seen. Originally it was saying no less than three hundred gigawatts two hundred and fifty three hundred gigawats, so two hundred and fifty or three hundred reactors, right, two hundred and fifty units. So the United States has just about one hundred right now. So if they got to that scenario, it would be about two and a half times what the US has right now.
Speaker 3: So what's the process by which a new nuclear reactor gets built in China? And how much does it differ from what goes on in the US.
Speaker 4: Sure, well, the steps of the process are actually very similar. This is these are international best practices for how you build these types of infrastructure. So you have to choose a site, You're going through a sighting process, an environmental impact report. Maybe you've got to make sure the local sea life is not going to be affected by warm water being discharged, there's no endangered species nearby. All those different aspects. So you choose your site. That takes a few years. You have consultation period. There's a period for the public to maybe express their dissatisfaction. This happens in China too. And when the site is finally selected, then you start pre construction. You can level the site, you can connect communications utilities, you can do all your pre groundwork, and then we're waiting for a really key milestone called FCD. That's first concrete date, and that's when the first barrel of safety related concrete is poured at the site, and so that would be the beginning of your construction of your containment building. And so from FCD to your full construction period, you do civil construction, you do installation, you have commissioning. Maybe you encounter some issues during commissioning, you do troubleshooting right and eventually you fully connect, you connect it, you load your fuel, you have your first criticality the first time that you know fission starts in the reactor. Then you connect it to the grid and then you get up to one hundred percent power and you got a nuclear power plant. If you do it, we're you looking at ten to twelve years. See, if you do it not so quick, you're looking a lot more than that.
Speaker 2: So it takes a long time in China too. So you know, we look at you as construction builders like, oh can't we It's a log process anywhere you look. I want to ask about the financing. So if there's a new who's paying for this? And also how are they selling this energy? Because one thing I get the impression of is that setting aside the cost of building a new nuclear reactor, which is an expensive, time consuming process. The electricity market structure also seems to matter a lot, because you need a certain amount of guaranteed off take, you need a certain amount of price stability if the price drops to zero for a long time, because there's it's very sunny and windy in that area and suddenly you're that's screwing with the economics of it. And so market structure and financing are both important. Talk to us about how that works in China versus here.
Speaker 4: Right? Sure, so the builders, right, the companies that are constructing and eventually owning the assets are all state owned enterprises. Okay, so you've got these great big sos. Their job is to own and operate nuclear power plants, and so when they go out to secure financing, of course they're securing financing from state owned banks as well. They're going to be getting very preferential loan treatment, right, very low percentage rates maybe two percent, one and a half percent, things like that. For a huge infrastructure like that, we're talking billions of rate.
Speaker 2: Not the spread.
Speaker 4: Okay, keep going, so very very low rates because again they have a mandate to build. This is state banks, state infrastructure, and state builders. They need to build these things. And then when they're going out to sell power right now, they're given a guaranteed on grid rate. So the grid company and the power regulators say, when you complete your plant and you start selling power, we will make sure you receive this much for every kilo what hour of power that you send into the grid. Long term, they want to marketize it. They want to have that exposed to the vagaries of the markets the same way that you would see maybe in the United States or Western Europe. And that will be an adjustment for China's nuclear industry. Historically they have only operated on this kind of fixed feed and rate.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, that's a pretty big comparative advantage if you're getting subsidized financing from a state owned enterprise or something like that. Plus at the moment you have that guaranteed off take, even though they might want to move to a market based system before. It also strikes me that there are a few other potential comparative advantages, like lots of ready labor, lots of manufacturing capacity presumably that's able to make the stuff you need for these things. Walk us through, like all the different advantages that China has in this process.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, So if you maybe you've seen before or not, if you look at one of those like stacked bar charts, that it compares all the cost components of you know, building one of these things in China versus Europe versus the United States. It's not like you'd point to any single component of the stacked bar and say, ah, that's it. That's the key. That's why they're so cheap. Every single component is cheaper, right, You've got your cost of capital is lower, You've got your construction timeline is so tightly managed.
Speaker 3: Right, so you're saving on interest costs exactly.
Speaker 4: And the sooner you can connect to the grid and start selling power. That's when you start making your money back. Right, So every day that you go over your construction schedule, it's a hunt. We say in the US about a million dollars of missed power sales and then also about a million dollars of interest payments. So here you got this two million dollars spread every day over your construction schedule that was originally planned. Like, that's just mind boggling. Then we look at the production capacity, right, China's incredible industrial production capacity. We're talking about these heavy forged components, and maybe only a couple of companies in the whole world can make things like the reactor pressure vessel, the steam generators, the pressure risers, the primary piping, the reactor cool and pump, all these things. And there's like three companies in the world that can make these and now at this point, several of them are in China. And when they need to prototype, when they need to iterate, when they need to troubleshoot something, it's all in one in industrial cluster. It's all a company and its subsidiaries or its sister partner companies, right, and so they can quickly trouble through things really quickly. So that's going to be your industrial production component very strong. You've got you know, people work longer hours, they'll work through weekends, they'll work through holidays. China is really really competent at building very large construction, very large infrastructure. Right it could be a dam, or a bridge, or a highway or a high speed railway, or a nuclear reactor. When it comes to the construction know how of being able to do it on time and like an oiled machine, they're winning there too. And then we talk about the actual way they're building the nuclear power plants. There's something really interesting here. This was actually pioneered by Westinghouse out of the United States, something called modularized construction, where on site or off site you're prefabricating large portions of the reactor, portions of the containment building, and so you can work on individual components at the same time, bring it to site, and then you get the largest crane in the world that lifts this massive, massive, pre assembled component into place. When you're able to work like that, you can cut down the construction schedule. Even more interestingly, Westinghouse pioneered that that they haven't been really successful in implementing it in their recent builds. China, on the other hand, learned from Westinghouse and has been very successful with this modulized construction approach.
Speaker 2: Can you talk more about that, because it's very intuitive, right, the idea that the more you can build at the factory and the less you have to build on site makes it easy and a lot of the so far, it seems like mostly hype about small modular reactors in the US is sort of on this idea, like why don't start every project from scratch? Why is it apparently hard even though in theory that seems very obvious because I don't know if there actually are any modular reactors in the US despite the sort of intuitive appeal.
Speaker 4: So I think I gotta clarify here, there's modularized construction, and there's small modular reactors. Okay, So SMRs or small modular reactors, they refer to a situation where the entire reactor is encased in a single unit.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, got it. Yeah, But it's still this idea that the lot of the fabrication process happens not at the site itself. Again, something that feels highly intuitive and apparently easier so than time.
Speaker 4: Well, so my understanding from the Westinghouse design approach when they used this for the first time in designing the AP one thousand technology that we're built here in Vocal in the United States. Is one of the major barriers. Well, there's terveral. There's always going to be regulatory barriers, right, it's a new way of doing things. Anytime it's a new way of doing things, the regulator is going to want you to jump through a million hoops to try to clarify and justify that what you're doing is defensible and safe. So you've got that one, of course, But then the actual logistics of lifting these massive, massive, we're talking thousands of tons of prefab components. They actually had to design and then especially contract the world's largest heavy lift crane. Westinghouse did just to be able to lift the first one. They worked with an American company to design to custom design this giant fixed base ring crane that requires other cranes to build it. Then you have this giant, giant crane that's in place and it swings around. It usually works for two different units to build two reactors at the same site. Interestingly, they weren't able to use this giant giant crane in China because of a design miscommunication. The first AP one thousands that Westinghouse tried to build in China, they didn't leave space on the site to put the giant crane, so in the end they had to use a very very large roller crane instead, which just about did the job, but it forced them to change the way they built it. China has learned from that though. So the newest you know, QUA long one reactors that China builds, they use a giant ring crane. I believe they use a zoom lion. It's a Chinese brand has designed one of these, built one of these massive ultra heavy lift cranes as well, and so now that's you know, they're reaping those benefits.
Speaker 3: I have a slightly random question, which is building nuclear reactors. How customized do the components that go into these actually have to be? Like how much does the design actually vary site to site?
Speaker 4: Well, if they are the same series of reactors, right, you could say the AP one thousand, right, that's a base unit. Now the ones that are built in vocal and the ones that were being built at Summer in South Carolina before that was canceled. Those were probably a little bit different, right, but you know, largely part of the same series. The ones that were built in China were built on that same platform, but they would have been modified a little bit for the Chinese context. They called them Chinese AP one thousands CAP one thousands, but you could say they're substantially the same reactor with with small modifications. When we start talking about different series, though, if we say, like the French design versus the US design versus what's being sold now in Korea or something like that, you'll see more similarities to their predecessors that they came up through different generations of technology. So like Korea, you'd see similarities to the old ge Hatachi reactors because that's where they got their technology originally. Then you'd see to say a modern EIGHTP one thousand. These are different tech trees from different competitors.
Speaker 2: So if I'm a guy on Twitter listening to this, and I am a guy on Twitter, except I'm talking in this, but I'm just a guy on Twitter and I'm hearing you talk about, okay, they get preferential lending from the state owned bank. The company is state owned. Probably the crane company is state owned. There's probably a few other state owned businesses, and I think, yeah, okay, you know, they're really good at building reactors fast. But there must be some sort of accumulated debts and inefficiencies that come with all of these all of these entities that have something other than a profit motive. And you know, probably you know, I don't know that my intuition or my response to you, or my my dunk on you is that there's going to be all these accumulated losses that ripple through the systems on account of the fact that it's SOOE working with see after SOE. Do we have any sense of how economic these projects actually are Because if these were private companies, you say, oh, they're either making money, or if these were sort of strictly for profit listed companies, you say, well, they're making money, they're not making money. Whatever. How do we think about the actual economics of whether this is good investment? Because it's cool, Yeah, you know, China's building dozens of reactors, How do we know these are good economic investments?
Speaker 4: Well, unless I can crack open you know, China National Nuclear Corporations books like, I can't tell you for sure these are good investments. Right, But when they build them at that pace, when you look at it from the outside and you say, all the conditions are in place to have surely built this according to the budget set for yourself. Right, you declared that you would build it with a certain budget and a certain time. You talk about the budget, right, So you're looking at you know, your construction period of five years, your pre construction and your commissioning. You add another five years or so, right. But then once they build it, they're saying, you know, we can build a single gigawatt unit reactor for five billion dollars four and a half billion, five billion. You look at numbers out of the US and they're saying, we're going to build what Vogel cost was two units for twenty eight billion dollars or something like that. You do a little bit of Napkin math and you say that reactor can't possibly make back how much money it costs to build and it's operating lifetime, or maybe it will just about get there after forty years. And that's assuming that this plant operates in the spot markets really really well and sells power so efficiently and never gets curtailed and never has issues like that. Meanwhile, your napkin math in China is saying, well, they're going to sell power at this rate for the next forty, maybe sixty years. Maybe they'll do double life extension, maybe eight eighty years. And you know, so many kiloot hours of power times so much per kilo a lot hour. Yeah, it looks like these things should be reasonably profitable. And keep in mind the profit motive of Chinese soees is different, right, They're expected to try to be profitable so they have cash flow to do things and you know, be functional. But if they have to take a hit sometimes they will. They can be the lubricant in the system that causes the inefficiencies to be okay. Because you've got you know, a major SOE that was okay, losing half a billion dollars last year. They'll make it back later. It's okay. The system didn't fall apart. They were the lubricant.
Speaker 3: So one way we could potentially judge the success of Chinese nuclear reactors is you could look at whether or not they are significantly changing the energy mix. And there was a story out this week saying that China's domestic coal production had reached an all time high and granted that's production that's not necessarily coal use, but I don't know, it doesn't seem like there's been a big impact just yet. Why is that?
Speaker 4: And yeah, and that's right, I saw that yesterday too. I'm bummed about that because I'm on record saying back in December twenty twenty three that I thought twenty twenty four would be the peak year, and I thought structurally we were in place to be able to peak coal consumption in twenty twenty four, and I think we're going to end up up one one point five percent year on year something like that, which for China is a huge amount of coal because they consume so much coal. But it's really close, which of course means if we're up year on year and last year was the highest year ever, than this year is the highest test year ever. And so what are we looking at though? We're looking at a power sector that is still growing consumption every year by seven percent year on year, six or seven percent year on year, compared to the US, where a good year is maybe like one percent or half a percent year on year, and you talk about data center demand growth is going to maybe rise that and everybody's freaking out, how are we going to meet this new consumption need. China's been growing like that seven percent eight percent in the past. It was even higher for decades now. So it to be the peak coal consumption, we have to get to a single year where all of the incremental consumption growth is met by incremental generation from clean assets, right from wind and water and solar and nuclear. If we can't manage to do that in one year where all the incremental growth is covered by new incremental clean generation, thermal generation has to go up. And so that's still where we're at. We're real close. If it only grew by one point five percent this year, that means that seven percent of China's entire consumption mix was almost totally covered by growth year on year of wind and water and solar and nuclear. But it wasn't quite there. And so that's where we stand at twenty twenty four. I'm going to be made a liar of that statement I made at the end of last year where I thought coal consumption would peak this year.
Speaker 2: Since you mentioned it, Data centers is obviously a huge part of the story of the return of load growth in the US. I mean, there's obviously just the general modernization and country getting wealthier. But tell us about the data center's story in China as you see it and it's impact on the grid.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's of course going to be a other growth driver. The major difference here is that when China says, oh, we've got data centers coming in, so instead of six point five percent growth, it's going to be seven point five percent growth. Right, It's just what's a percentage point among friends? Right, Whereas the United States going from half a percentage point to one point five or two percent is very different from how we've had to grow in the past. So China's i think approaching this with much more sanguinity, maybe that they're just saying, yeah, it's going to be a driver of growth. Let's put them in some of our parts of the country that have low load and great renewable resources. Or we're gonna put them in Inner Mongolia is what we're going to put them. We're going to put growth demand centers in inner Mongolia. They don't need to be close to the.
Speaker 2: Is inner Mongolia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's sparsely populated, it's got a lot of great energy resources. The wind blows and the sunshines, all day long and there's no load out there, so it wouldn't have made so much sense maybe to cite you know, your heavy energy intensive industrial manufacturing so far from the demand center, so far from the coasts where you could get it to logistics. Oh, they put some stuff out there, but it wasn't so intuitive to put energy intensive industry out there. But data centers, Oh, that's great, right. They don't need to be close to markets per se, you just need to get be them close to the affordable energy. So it's looking like inn Moongolia or places like that will be a great match for China's data center growth.
Speaker 3: So one of the things that's been happening in the US speaking of data centers is a lot of the big tech companies have been signing off take agreements with energy producers and they've been pushing them towards more renewable energy. So they say, we want clean energy to power these things, and you make it for us and we'll take it. Do you see a similar dynamic taking place in China or do people not care as much about the ultimate cleanliness of their energy for data centers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a major driver of how the power sector offers power. Right, your customers demand a certain type of power, you should be able to meet their needs. Right now, in China, you'd split, or in anywhere anywhere in the world, not just in China, you'd split green power consumption on the end user end into voluntary and mandatory. So mandatory says the government says you have to consume a certain amount of electricity that is green. We call it a renewable portfolio standard or an RPS. Right there's RPS and US states, not all of them, but some of them, and there's RPS in China. So from that perspective, you could say the government mandates that you consume a certain amount of renewable energy to meet the quota. Now. Right now, that applies to utilities in China, but it doesn't yet apply to end users. Your aluminum smelter doesn't have that man yet. But that's the next stage of RPS that's being added right now. Data centers I think need to be it's quite high. I think it's eighty percent renewable. To build a new data center in China, you're going to need to have aluminum and steel and all these heavy energy intensive industries need to consume renewable, so that's your mandatory consumption, that's RPS driven, and then you've got your voluntary consumption. So voluntary consumption, you know, corporate social responsibility initiatives ESG companies say we want to go green. We want to put it in our CSR report that we consumed x amount of renewables last year. We did this on a voluntary basis. We joined ARE one hundred, we joined the Science Based Targets initiative, and we want to claim that we are green. Yet that's your consumer tech brands, that's your luxury fashion and increasing. A lot of European brands are very aggressive on their renewable energy consumption, including in China. So if you're producing in China and selling to the world, you want to be able to say our production in China was also green. So that's voluntary consumption of green power. But you demand your power retailer to provide you with green electricity and they'll give you a quote for green electricity.
Speaker 2: We started on the nuclear side, we talked coal, but then we're all, well, you know, there's all these charts that are you know, great about all this solar being interstalled? Is the economics of that roughly the same in the sense that it's probably an sooe getting money from an so E bank, and talk to us about who's funding that and where does it make sense, like why in some places is solar going to be a solar wind part of the answer versus say nuclear.
Speaker 4: Right, So when it comes to wind and solar, these are being built differently from nuclear, right, they're not nearly as capital intensive. Also, they can be smaller, they can be more distributed. And so when you look at Chinese wind and solar, of course you still see sooees playing a big role, but there are as well IPPs independent power producers or just non soees right, as well as foreign players. So you as a you know, a foreign investor who you know like black Rock, can come into China and build a power plant if they want to, a wind or a solar farm, no problem. And so anyone can participate in that space if they do their financial analysis and they see the way to attractive project economics. So for Chinese builders, they borrow from Chinese banks, as will Chinese independent borrowers. Then international players they might borrow from international banks. They might try to borrow from Chinese banks. They can do that as well. They will get you know, market competitive rates. This is a different kind of building compared to nuclear, where it's instead of it's like a national strategic priority. To build a rooftop solar facility, now that's much more of a commercial market operation. However, there are some projects in China that are national strategic priority. We talk about those huge desert bases, you know, hundreds of megawats, gigawats, hundreds of gigawats in the middle of the Gobi desert, coal plants plus a wind farm, plus a solar farm, plus a huge battery array, all financed by a giant Chinese built by a Chinese soe. That's the kind of stuff that that kind of looks more like a nuclear power plant in the way that they finance and process that. But you know, rooftop solar facility in eastern China, now that's very much just a commercial play. If it makes money, if it makes sense, they'll build it.
Speaker 3: So when we talk about China's energy landscape or its energy mix, I mean a lot of what we're talking about we're pulling in numbers from the Chinese government, right like domestic production numbers, domestic usage numbers, and whenever you do that, there's always a certain element of uncertainty or a question mark over them. And there are some people who even if you were to say that China's coal production was finally falling, which it isn't, as you know, people wouldn't necessarily believe it. They'd be like, oh, well, China wants.
Speaker 4: You to think that.
Speaker 3: So I guess my question is like, how much should we believe some of these stats?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and this is going to be always very subjective about how much you want to believe or how much you think is worthwhile believing. My take that I usually go to is like, look at the top levels. You've got your National Bureau of Statistics, You've got these you know, national level entities, who's their job mandate is to report statistics as faithfully and as honestly as they can. All right, fine, you know what, that's their job mandate. No latitude to say I think they're doing their job dishonestly or something like that. But I do believe there are many kind of perverse incentives throughout the structure of the reporting economy in China that would create opportunity for misreporting information. When you tie you know, the county governor's promotion or lack thereof, to his ability to grow GDP in that province or in that county. You're creating the incentive for him to cook the data when you're creating economic recovery. And you announced to and this happened. This is a real story when you announce to a certain city in twenty twenty two that you're going to be evaluating how quickly they've recovered from COVID conditions by seeing how quickly their factories get back up to regular production. And you know that they're measuring that by seeing how much electricity they consume. All all of a sudden, you have.
Speaker 3: A sent everyone starts plugging stuff in.
Speaker 4: Right, So if you can say that people are trying to do their jobs honestly, and then you also have people that have been given perverse incentives to to misreport did I think that's where a lot of the uncertainty.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is the core problem of Central Plan. I mean, this is it in a nutshell. And obviously the most egregious examples of this were, you know, during the Great Leap Forward and all of the ways that either they you know, the steel production that was melting down literally anything of steel and destroying the economy in twenty twenty four, What are some of the techniques used to avoid sort of egregious jerking of the stats so that, yeah, someone's promotion who is tied to electricity consumption can't be sort of egregiously abused like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean famously or perhaps infamously. So I think it ended up it came out of like a WikiLeaks something that that the former premier Leika Chung said he didn't look at GDP data in certain prices, and now that's on the terminal, Yeah, the le Ka Chug index, and he said I prefer to look at I think it was a rail cargo and electricity consumption and or the third item two right, He said that these items, you know, the people in charge of reporting them, there's you know, My assumption is that his logic was there's less incentives to misreport these, so that these are the ones I want to look at, and you can maybe come up with your own version of the modern day Leka Chang index. I think electricity consumption is still fine, but maybe there's some other numbers that you say, look, this is all very centralized reporting. The reason I like electricity because it's all state grid, right, those numbers almost all come from state grid, and state grid is just a single unified entity. You're not gathering data points from many different companies. Maybe other stuff like we talk about cargo right again, China railways. Yeah, you have one centralized company that would be able to report that information. So if you want to modern you know, fashion your modern Leka Chang index, maybe try those types of indices.
Speaker 2: So one other element obviously of the Chinese energy to man. We've talked a lot about the grid obviously and the power of the grid. Then there is the whole world of automobiles, which up until very recently was this totally separate part of the energy system, but now it's around the world, but in particular China, and we talk about Chinese EV's all the time being plugged into the grid. How much do we see the electrification of the Chinese automobile fleet, Like A, how electrified is it right now? And B isn't moving the dial on oil consumption because this is a pretty big question in the West, right, like at some point will EV's become big enough where meaningfully starts to reduce our oil demand, and even in countries like Norway, I think like it's still barely moving the dial despite mass of electrification. What are we seeing in China right now on that.
Speaker 4: Front, Yeah, I mean in the major cities you say, shen Jen, Shanghai, Beijing, in places like this, the EV penetration rate is noticeably high, and you'll see that they're easily identifiable. They have green license plates instead of the regular blue license plates, so you can just kind of look at them on the street. It's very expensive to get a license plate in Shanghai. Just the license plate itself is expensive, but EV's for a long time were free, like a the license plate was free, so that was a great perk for them to pursue those. And yeah, there, I think it was. New vehicle sales in Shanghai, for example, was fifty percent electric vehicles in the last reporting session. And it's really noticeable when you stand on a street corner in Shanghai, and I guess it's noticeable by the lack of the noise.
Speaker 2: I heard that everyone goes to Shanghai and says it's really quiet.
Speaker 4: That's you know. Look, I'm back in New York right now for the first time in a year and I stand on a street corner. It's so loud, and I hadn't really noted the lack of the noise because I'm just used to it now and it's it's I hear the roar of petroleum based engines all around me. Yeah. So EV's in the large cities, penetration rates noticeably high. In the smaller cities still fairly high. When you go out to the more rural areas, it's going to drop off. Of course, there's more skepticism about the completeness of the charging network, just maybe some more uncertainty about the technology itself. You'll hear people in the countryside say all batteries are dangerous, heard that I saw a video once of an EV on fire, things like that. Similar you know comments in the United States too. But the long term, the EV penetration rate will will only continue to rise.
Speaker 2: It's national oil consumption, I believe, so I think.
Speaker 4: I saw now. I'm not an oil specialist, but I think I've seen and I've read recently that that Chinese oil imports should have peaked right, that they should have be ready to draw down. If you know, if I'm lying here, May God smite me down. But I think that that was the case, and that we see a structural decline in petroleum because of the adoption of evs.
Speaker 3: So, speaking of EV's, there is a lot of Chinese made clean tech that is here in the US, including solar panels as well. And this has been one of the frictions of the past few years, which is, you know, the US says it wants cleaner energy, and Chinese solar panels and evs are probably the cheapest forms of that technology around. And yes, there's a lot of I guess, reluctance to import tons of those into the US, and certainly with Trump coming in, it seems like tariffs are on their way. How do you see all of that shaking out into the new year.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Look, in the United States, you're gonna decarbonize or you're gonna buy green tech at exactly the rate that is economic. Yeah, And so if you have access to very affordable green tech, you'll do it at a faster rate. If you have access to more expensive green tech, you'll do it more slowly. And so I have to assume that if those tariffs go in place, unless alternative producers are able to offer similar quality goods at similar prices, then you're going to slow down your green transition. It's maybe a simple but obvious kind of answer there. On the Chinese side, of course, there will be some pain for exporters, anyone exposed to the United States market. Some solar panels, maybe some VS, some batteries I think are pretty significant if those are target it. Yeah, you'd expect to see some pain on the Chinese side there. It's already an extremely extremely competitive environment in China. Most of these producers are in very thin profit margins, hanging on by a threat. It's good for consumers, it's not good for if you're holding those stocks. So this would only just be another bit of pain for them. Denial of a potential revenue channel.
Speaker 2: Since you mentioned EV charging stations, we have this sort of weird patchwork here, and there's a lot of I'm a little ambiguity about the US government under Biden has remarked a lot of money to build EV charging stations. It's a little unclear how much actually got built Publicly. There seems to be a view that it hasn't been particularly successful on the public side. What is the structure of the buildout for charging stations in China. Is it publicly owned? Is it what's the deal?
Speaker 4: It's all of the above, I guess. So you've got you know, China State Grid or China Southern Grid. But grid companies they build charging infrastructure. Some of the ev acres themselves build their own charging infrastructure, maybe like a Tesla supercharger, right. Some of them also build their own battery swap stations. I think Neo is quite famous for having battery swap stations. You can go pretty much any highway rest stop in China and you can find a Neo battery swap station.
Speaker 2: So then there's no time you just swap.
Speaker 4: It in and out. Yeah, I'm there's a line to wait for the battery swap station if another Neo pulls ahead of you. But besides that, I mean, I think the major thrust, at least the ones that I've seen recently in the Southern Grid region have been by the grid company itself. Right, So, China Southern Grid. I remember reading last year they said, ah, you know, we're planning to build one hundred thousand chargers this year. We're you know, three months in, we're seventeen thousand chargers in so far, we're on track to finish our goal by the end of the year. And you do see it when you go to regions that have been targeted for those buildouts. Right. You can go to fairly rural areas in say Gwanboon Province down in the south and you'll find EV chargers installed there by China Southern Grid in a village where I don't think there are necessarily any evs, but hey, they got the infrastructure there because they said we're going to build one hundred K, and so they built a hundred K.
Speaker 2: David Fisherman, so great to chat with you again, especially in person, and I'm so glad you have other things to worry about besides figuring out how to get food in your apartment. Really appreciate you coming back on odline.
Speaker 4: Thanks a lot for having you guys.
Speaker 2: That was really helpful, Tracy, that I learned all the things more or less that I wanted to know about. How they're building so much a nuclear.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's that?
Speaker 2: React?
Speaker 3: Well, it does. It leaves me wondering how like replicable it is in other countries, right, because obviously in places like the US, we don't really have subsidized finance on the scale that China does. We don't have a lot of cheap and skilled labor at the same time, and we don't have some of the let's put it this way, like regulatory hastiness maybe in approving these sites and these things. I don't know, like how replicable do you think it is?
Speaker 2: No, this is the exact question, because you know there's some subsidy the loan Program's office exists, but we don't know the same gigantic state owned banks. Yeah, and then even if you solve the financing problem, and even if you solve the market off take problem, which is going to be very different, right because we have market grids in a lot of parts of the country and so it's hard to sort of make that forty year commitment that you will get this price. Then there's all the logistics like, oh, you needed this gigantic crane that's the biggest crane in the history of.
Speaker 3: Now you need a big crane to make the big crane you.
Speaker 2: Need to make. So this gets to I mean, this is a point that jigger Shaw makes all the time, but this idea that we're never going to really do this economically, And David just mentioned the sort of daunting economics of Vogel. We're never gonna do this economically unless we do it over and over and over and over again. And it feels like the components of what it would actually take to do it over and over and over again is this massive centralized commitment to doing lots of different parts. And you know, it sounds like the regulatory side or the permitting thing that seems about the same. And the fact that the public can complain about endangered fish and all that, that's sort of similar. So people complain about annoying local nimbi's. That doesn't really sound that much different. It sounds like everything else that's different.
Speaker 3: I suspect the nimbiism is slightly different too, But point taken, and I do wonder, like, how do you even go about beginning to redevelop that nuclear muscle memory in the States. It seems really really hard, Like, Okay, we can reactivate some nuclear reactors like we're planning to, but starting like new ones from scratch. It just seems like there's such a limited pool of people who are cape of doing that and then putting in place, As you rightly pointed out, all the off take agreements and the network and everything needed to kind of make those things financially viable. It seems hard.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm glad you asked that question about coal consumption that because that was really helpful, because it's one thing to say, well, another record year for coal consumption. But I guess the way I think about it, at least in the short term, we don't know when that's.
Speaker 3: Not coal consumption, it's production, just to be.
Speaker 2: Coal production, but it's really going to be about like if coal is in fact as a part of the you know, if it's only growing one percent, but electricity demand is growing six to seven percent, that is a good sign, right, even if it's not bending the curve down yet.
Speaker 3: M hm. Anyway, it's funny I will always associate Beijing with lots and lots of burning coal in the winter.
Speaker 2: By the way, I had heard that about how apparently the big cities now are really quiet, which is pretty cool, and once self driving cars are everywhere, there will be no honking either, and so we can look forward to a future maybe one day we very peaceful, peaceful, quiet big cities.
Speaker 3: All right, something to hope for. Shall we leave it there?
Speaker 2: Let's leave it there.
Speaker 3: This has been another episode of the Authoughts podcast. I'm Tracy Alloway. You can follow me at Tracy Alloway.
Speaker 2: And I'm Jill Wisenthal. You can follow me at the Stalwart. Follow our guest David Fishman, He's at Pretentious What. Follow our producers Carmen Rodriguez at Carman armand dash Ol Bennett at Dashbot and Kilbrooks at Kilbrooks. Thank you to our producer Moses Ondam from our odlots content. Go to Bloomberg dot com slash outlots, where we have transcripts, a blog, and a daily newsletter and you can chat about all of these topics, including energy and China, where we have two separate rooms in our discord discord dot gg slash out Lots.
Speaker 3: And if you enjoy a thoughts, if you like it when we talk about nuclear power plants in China, then please leave us a positive review on your favorite podcast platform. And remember, if you are a Bloomberg subscriber, you can listen to all of our episodes absolutely ad free. All you need to do is connect your Bloomberg account with Apple Podcasts. In order to do that, just find the Bloomberg channel on Apple Podcasts and follow the instructions there. Thanks for listening,