Speaker 1: From Mahart where Innovation of Money and Power Collie in Silicon Vallet NBN.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed Ludlove.
Speaker 3: I'm Caroline Heindel Bloomberg's World headquarters in New York, and I'm Ed Ludlow in San Francisco.
Speaker 4: This is Bloomberg Technology coming out.
Speaker 3: We'll bring you the latest on the Israel Hamas conflict and explore the role of intelligence and cybersecurity amid the war.
Speaker 4: Plus we'll discuss the role social media plays in misinformation, is Elon Musk's ex faces backlash over changes to its content safety policies.
Speaker 3: And we'll return to the trial of Sam magmun Fried as it enters its second week, with a key witness taking a stand Israel Hamas the war fighting enters a fourth day. Joining us for the latest an updated bloom exactly, Alstein, and you're in Tel Aviv at the moment.
Speaker 5: Just bring us up to speed with what you're anticipating.
Speaker 6: Yes, so, I think, actually, good evening. I think actually the most interesting development that we're going to be seeing today, and this is not a short thing yet, will be that Israel is actually looking at a new government we've we've been getting messages this afternoon that Israel's ruling coalition said that it wants to form a rare emergency government with the opposition following Saturday's attacks by Hamas, and they're now finalizing the final details. So, you know, we cannot say that this is surely going to happen, but it does look like this is going to happen. And in essence, what this means is that the entire operation in Gaza that we're looking at and that Israeli officials are saying will be taking a long time, maybe several weeks or more than that ahead. Then that will be run by a very narrow small war cabinet that will be comprised of Prime Minister of Benjamin Kaniao's party and opposition leaders Benny Gunn's party, with the other parties that are parties that are were nationalists more far right out of the picture only for that only for the war operation, and then after the war we'll see what happens politically. But that's the most significant development that we're looking at today.
Speaker 4: Gali, you and your colleagues in our bureau, and actually on this program, we talked to some of those that have been part of the mobilization effort, three hundred thousand reservists, many of them technology industry workers. What is the latest sort of military response and action on the ground in Israel.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, so that is an interesting question. And today we've been actually hearing a lot of Idea for officials speak to us about the focus now being aerial attacks on Gaza, and the chief Idea of spokesperson tells some this morning that the attacks that have been taking place, especially last night but throughout the last thirty six hours or so have been unprecedented, precedented in the terms that there are very fierce. What the air force now is doing is Gaza that they're striking in rounds that are taking place every every four hours. They're just going back and forth. They're striking thousands of targets over there. They have also reported that they have managed them to kill from with these aerial attacks to senior figures in Hamans this afternoon. So that's what the focus is on now. And they're also describing that they've sort of built a steel wall, that's what they call it, along the Gaza fence in order to stop any more possible infiltrations. So they've actually placed a lot of tanks over there on some aerial vehicles that are shooting down at anyone. And that's what they stress anyone who's trying to shoot across the fence, no matter who they are, And that's main focal point of what the Israeli are force is doing. Now, just in oneer sentence, I will tell you that obviously they are preparing for a much larger ground operation, and they're doing that by mobilizing a lot of soldiers and reserve forces towards the southern border and the northern border as well.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg's Galley Olstein one of many colleagues in Israel and the Middle East, Caro who are doing minute by minute reporting of what's happening. We're very grateful to have you here on Bloomberg Technology. Let's turn to the intelligence side of this conversation. How did Hamas get around one of the most sophisticated surveillance states to stage its attack against Israel? Joining US now is Kissed and Todd, the former chief of staff for the Cybersecurity in Infrastructure Infrastructure Security Agency SISA. There's the hard war, hard tech component, and then there's the soft power soft tech component. What have you learned about hamas is cyberactivity in what has been forty eight hours already since the attack.
Speaker 7: Well, first of all, thanks so much, Ed. It's incredibly early in this crisis. We're seeing just the increased escalation over the last few days. We're now seeing deaths, over a thousand, potentially over sixteen hundred hostages being taken, and the concern that there's going to be a second front, certainly on the northern side with Hesbela. What American intelligence officials need to be asking right now, they are asking is what direct role, if any, did Iran have in the supplying, the preparation, the encouraging of this attack. We know that Iran views its alliance with Hamas as a point of leverage as it's looking to destabilize and derail the engagements with Israel and Saudi Arabia, and so certainly civilian casualties on both side both sides would obstruct any attempt toward a type of agreement between Israel and Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 5: So the tools available to all.
Speaker 7: Sides are not just kinetic. It's not just the fierce fighting that Gleat just talked about. There are cyber weapons and cyber tools which we know everybody has access to.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about those cyber weapons cyber tools already being deployed. You say, it's very early days in the crisis. Already we've seen cyber attacks being aimed at both sides. Can you tell us sort of what these look like in the early iterations and whether they're going to be ram top as days go forward.
Speaker 7: It's hard to know where they will escalate to, but certainly right now we're seeing unofficial reports of DDoS attacks, the use of malware, defacement of websites we saw back in twenty eleven twenty twelve that are on use DDoS attacks against the United States financial sector. The capabilities of all nation states in cyber are enough. They're not necessarily as sophisticated as Russia or China, but we know that the capabilities exist, and that if there is a war that is going to access all tools that cyber could be used in lieu of kinetic weapons, but more likely in conjunction with kinetic weapons.
Speaker 3: I mean interested in real Joyce Director Cybercurity over than National Security Agency. He's saying, thus far, cyber component hasn't been that significant and it has been more of these denial of service elements, but they could ramp up.
Speaker 5: I'm interested as to how difficult it is to pass through.
Speaker 3: Who are activists, where are they coming from, and what really the end goal is here.
Speaker 7: Well, it's a great question because what we're looking at right now really is how can we be resilient? Rob is absolutely right. I mean, what we're seeing, we're not seeing any targeted attacks at this point, but what we want to be really aware of is how can we prepare, how can we be resilient against what could come. When we saw the imminence of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, SISA put out a shields Up advisory to critical infrastructure companies to say, heighten your awareness, heighten your vigilance, lower the threshold for reporting.
Speaker 4: What we're talking about.
Speaker 7: Now isn't necessarily what we know to becoming, but the importance of being prepared, being resilient, and being vigilant as we create a more resilient infrastructure for the United States.
Speaker 4: Kristin, you're talking about preparedness. Yesterday, Professor Chuck Freilich of Columbia, former Deputy National Security advisor in Israel, said that this wasn't a lack of intelligence. It was a lack of imagination that the security and intelligence forces just didn't think that something of that scale could happen because they could imagine it. Put that in the cyber context for us, you seem to be suggesting that a lot of that competence and know how would come from the Iran side or a third party actor, not necessarily Hamas itself.
Speaker 5: It's hard to know.
Speaker 7: Certainly Iran has these capabilities, and as I said, we've seen Iran use cyber capabilities. I think your point about failure of imagination is obviously.
Speaker 4: Not my points.
Speaker 7: Yeah, brings us, unfortunately back to nine to eleven. In what we look at as human nature, we often prepare for that which we know we can respond to. Our challenge is the ability to prepare for that which is more frightening, more devastating, more destructive. And so when we're preparing, we have to be thinking about how can cyber player role in this and what do we need to be doing again to prevent, to prepare, and importantly to be resilient.
Speaker 4: You were with SISA through July of this year. I want to ask you about Palenteer and the private public relationship that there have been loads of questions posed about Palenteer over the weekend. Do you have any experience you can draw on or opinion on the role that the private sector could play in the intelligence and cyberspace data related going forward.
Speaker 7: One of the things that I was so pleased with and proud to be a part of a SISA and with the federal government is the improved relationship between industry and government in threat intelligence, in the ability to share information. The solar winds attack that happened back in twenty twenty was identified by the company FireEye, and the ability then for the private sector to share information with government, for government to do the same in real time, so that we can create not a complete thread intelligence picture, but certainly a more comprehensive one so that coming together industry and government can respond. We know that one entity can't respond and retaliate on its own, respond and react that we've got to be able to work together.
Speaker 3: So great to get your sister experience and of course now a CEO of Liberty Group Ventures Kist and Todd, thank you for your time today. I meanwhile, coming up, we're going to be turning back to the markets. Look at just how these geopolitical moments are impacting all the investment space.
Speaker 5: At last, do stick with us.
Speaker 2: This is blombog technology.
Speaker 3: Now amid the current heightened geopolitical tensions central banks, they seem to be the catalyst for today's treating action at least joining us now to break down the short term the long term in terms of your technology to Hillary Fresh with a very police are welcome for senior research analystic technology software at Clearbridge.
Speaker 5: Hillary, give us your sort of bird's.
Speaker 3: Eye perspective right now when we are in the throes of major reactions. When we do see selloffs become something that is the immediate response to a geopolitical threat and concern, is that the right way to be thinking about your technology investments right now.
Speaker 8: It's a very good question. Thanks for having me, Carolina and Ed. It's good to be here. It's you know, what's interesting is we haven't seen that user excel off this time so far. I think the market is interpreting a relatively isolated circumstance. We'll see if that proves to be the case. At Clearbridge, we tend to be long term investors. We take a long term horizon and we like to use periods of weakness to add to key portfolio positions in technology specifically, well, I don't see Q three in particular as any kind of barnburner quarter or major catalyst either way from the sector. I do see a period between now and mid late next year when we should actually see technologies start to decouple in terms of growth from the broader economy. That's partly due to AI and a variety of other factors. But I do see technology as a place where investors will want to continue to invest and.
Speaker 3: Which particular drivers, which forces have changed do you focus in on When you think of an Nvidia which has had parabolic growth in terms of its overall market valuation based on an AI fundamental viewpoint, but it also is exposed to geopolitical tensions when it comes to China US, when it has to maybe even some exposure in terms of supply chain with Israel. How do you dissect what really ultimately means to be a long term view?
Speaker 8: Sure, well, in video side, because there are certain factors driving their results versus others. Most tech companies have exposure somewhere in the exposure in Israel. In such places and the long term of political situation is a dynamic one, but I don't see associated disruption as the primary concern. As we've seen from the markets, the primary concern has been the rising dollar and interest rates. They've had a better quarter than anyone else out there, and that puts near term pressure on translated revenues and earnings and also on valuations. But to the extent that these types of conflicts don't grow out of control, they tend to present opportunities to invest in long term trends. It's interesting because yesterday we saw security companies rallying. I think they're rallying again today. And security companies are some of the ones with the largest exposure to Israel. Some of them are based in Israel, or we're based in Israel and have dual headquarters. But in periods of rising to a political tension, there tends to be heightened adoption of security security solutions. So it's a push and pull between what that disruption looks like and what the outcome looks like in terms of increased revenues. And we live in a remote world. Technology pioneered remote work. They were doing it long before we were as a broader economy. With the pandemic so we've seen circumstances where companies can adapt fairly quickly, but it is a real they're deploying a lot of folks that are deploying a lot of reservists of working and age, so there could be some disruptions along the way.
Speaker 4: Hillary had ed in San Francisco. Do you like charts? You strike me as somebody that's a chart watcher that likes charts. I wonder what makes you say that?
Speaker 8: But I don't just like charts.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's bring up one chart. I want you to explain something to me. NASDAK one hundred against the S and P five hundred Software Index. Here today, the S and P five hundred Software Index is a very limited basket, but it has kind of enterprise SaaS Cyber and then Microsoft's in there as well. They're basically up the same amount year to date. What is it then that's driving those software names higher multiple or otherwise right now? If it isn't fed, if it isn't geopolitical risk, what is your outlook based on?
Speaker 8: Investors like to focus on higher technology multiples as though growth were equivalent between tech and the broader economy. But growth is not equivalent between tech and the broader economy. Technology is where nearly all of the growth has been coming from. So in this recent period where we had rising dollar and rising interest rates, tech actually outperformed the broader economy in SMP. With AI and the precursor investments to AI and a normalization of spending, an environment in tech which I believe has been in recession, a very mild recession over the course of better part of last year. That looks poised to be the case even more so going forward. Tech valuations with software as a proxy for enterprise tech are just at their five year pre pandemic average. They're just a hair above their tenure pre pandemic average, meaning excluding the pandemic period where evaluations really elevated. I think that's a decent backdrop for tech into twenty four. Were in second half, I expect AI to be much more of a catalyst. We could talk about that more if you.
Speaker 4: Like, Well, I think we're out of time. Unfortunately, Hilary Fish of Clearbridge, and that was a loaded question. I know you like charts. Who doesn't like charts exactly? But it is good to have you back on the program, will have you back very soon. It is time for Talking Tech and first off Ubersoft fell the most since May, after the French video game maker delayed the release of its new free to play game X Defiant, originally scheduled this summer. The company cited quote inconsistencies in the game experience as the cause of the delay, and worldwide personal computer shipments declined nine percent in the third quarter, hitting what Gartner analysts expected will be the low point in a two year market slump. Apple had the steepest drop among the major PC makers, with shipments falling twenty four percent from the same quarter a year earlier. Plus, the stock of China's biggest food delivery platform, Maitwe has almost halved since a peak in January, with global active fund managers offloading three point seven billion dollars of the company shares this year. This makes it the most sold Chinese tech firm during that period, according to Morgan Stanley Caroline.
Speaker 2: Great set of stories ed.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, let's get up to speed of what's happening just over in another part of New York right now, someonemn Fried's trial. We want to get to be a MOTIONALI Bassack outside the US District Courthouse.
Speaker 5: In downtown Manhattan and Shanali. There's a pretty key witness that everyone's waiting for.
Speaker 9: With Beta breath, there are very many key witnesses hitting the stand right now. We were waiting on Caroline Allison to take the stand. Of course, she is the pivotal witness, both for the prosecution as well as the defense. We know that there may be some key evidence that also comes to light in the sake of this trial in the middle of her testimony. For example, diary entries that have been largely talked about the last couple of months leaked earlier to The New York Times. This idea here that she had a lot of discomfort in running Alameda, her own abilities to take a leadership role there, and conflicts with Sam himself. We know that Caroline and Sam had been on and on on and on again, off again dating. Remember she was his girlfriend, so knew a lot of the intimate workings of Sam at Alameda and in his personal life. Right now, the testimony of Gary Wan, who is also an FTX co founder, is also wrapping up, getting a lot of very interesting details about what happened in those dire days of November when FTX was about to fall, and then also even earlier when he was required to write the code that ultimately led to the back door that Alameda had used to take money out of FTX. You're also hearing about how he came to the agreement with prosecutors as well to which he had pled guilty and agreed to cooperate in this trial. So that is wrapping up inside as we speak. And to your point, Caroline Allison will take the stand just this.
Speaker 4: Afternoon, Shnalali, give me some of the drama and color of the core room I've stood where you're standing weeks and weeks in a trial like this. This is Caroline Ellison's first public appearance and it's important for prosecutors, right this is a big moment for them.
Speaker 9: This is the biggest moment. She is such a critical part of this trial. Remember, prosecutors themselves say only a very small number of people really knew what was going on inside of FTX and Alameda and the extent to which this alleged fraud was carried out. Now, remember when you think about Caroline and her role at Alameda, she was the CEO of the hedge fund in question here that has said to have been taking money out of FTX in two different ways, through the wallets and through FIAT itself. Now, remember you were talking about the star studed trial. Here Caroline speaking for the first time such a critical part of the defense.
Speaker 5: This is the second week.
Speaker 9: Of what will be a six while to which many many journalists from early in the morning seven am, many spectators have been outside waiting around the courthouse here. Now they're all inside, so you don't see them as we stand out here now, But yes, it has certainly been very highly watched. There has been a lot of commotion outside the courthouse itself, and there will be many more people coming to try throughout a couple of weeks, including Anthony Scaramucci, whose Skybridge had taken money from FGX in the form of a thirty percent stake.
Speaker 3: Well battled the traffic noise, Shannani stood out there for hour after hour.
Speaker 5: We really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Bloomberg Technology, Ed Loblow here in San Francisco. One of the top stories that we're tracking on Bloomberg and Bloomberg Technology is X, the company and platform formerly known as Twitter, facing criticism over changes made to its content safety policies that have led to confusion misinformation around the conflict between Israel and hamas X has responded to our reporting saying this is the first crisis as X, and this means we're all eyes, hands, hearts on across all divisions and have put into place our crisis protocol, all teams, policy, product operations, escalation, and much more. I want to bring in Bloomberg's Asha counts. What we're talking about here is largely video content circulating on X and other platforms that purports to be one thing, but based on the research groups we spoke to and community notes, users flagging it is actually something completely different.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a huge problem, right, So as you just mentioned that excess response. The challenges is that some of these posts, videos and images have received millions of views.
Speaker 4: They've ended up.
Speaker 10: On TikTok and Facebook Q and on forums for o white websites, and it's not verified. And researchers have found time and time again posts are showing videos of conflicts that are from video games, are from other conflicts that are not this conflict. Big statements from the White House. I mean, it's a huge problem, and researchers are saying this is something that they haven't seen.
Speaker 5: It's unprecedented to the point that it's unprecedented.
Speaker 3: Is this suddenly well more significant use of artificial intelligence by those that are putting some of the disinformation out there? Is it a lack of well technology as a way to fight back at some of this misinformation target What are we seeing not only at X but across the board, whether it be TikTok, whether it be Facebook.
Speaker 10: I think it's a couple of things. It surely could be partially from AI. I think with X specifically, it's about the changes that Musk has made since he took off the platform. So the misinformation policy was rolled back. So the policy now is that things can stay up. Maybe the visibility is limited, but again, as we've seen, it hasn't really been that limited. If millions of people are viewing some of these posts. They've cut a lot of people on their content safety teams and electro and integrity people that are normally responsible for trying to see information on the site. They've made it harder for researchers to access data on the site.
Speaker 5: So it's all of those.
Speaker 10: Factors together that have made it really difficult. And then not even to mention the verification process and able to just buy a blue check mark, So it's hard to tell who was a trusted voice in.
Speaker 4: Some of these issues. Just not date for our audience. Linda Yakarino, who is the CEO of X, was due to speak at a WT Wall Street Journal event this week and has canceled it, I'm told so she can specifically be on hand to deal with this crisis. You mentioned verification just quickly. This isn't unique to X, but what we're seeing is verified users share across platforms. In the case of that false White House statement as an example, Yeah.
Speaker 10: Exactly right. There was a statement that someone put out, supposedly from the White House that said they were going to authorize billions of dollars and aid in Israel. Turns out what a researcher found was that that was actually a statement about Ukraine. At someone doctor to look differently, and to your point, you have verified users, so you might think that it's a trusted source because you see that blue check mark, and it's really not. It's just someone who paid eight dollars a month who maybe has not done any reporting or hasn't really looked in and tried to verify the facts or could it actually be a bad actor who's intentionally trying to spread miss leading information to increase engagement on the say ashaccounts.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much bringing us the latest when it comes to technology's role within well your consumption of what is news right or wrong. Let's talk about the role of social media within this war as we know it. Welcoming Yaile Eisenstadt, vice president at the American Defamation Lease Center for Technology and Society, and I'll great to have you here. Of course, you are with an institution that is all about, you know, holding disinformation to account in many ways, and anti hate organization is the key focus of your work. How are you seeing this difference, this particular moment different from what we've seen in prior episodes of conflict.
Speaker 1: Sure so, as you just pointed out at ADL, we have been tracking this kind of work, both anti Semitic incidents in the real world as well as how hate and disinformation proliferates online for decades and what we are seeing right now. I mean I used to just brought up some of the issues going on pticularly on X, but part of the problem is X used to be the place when it was Twitter that people went to in times.
Speaker 5: Of a real time crisis.
Speaker 1: Let's be clear, it was never perfect before, but it was at least a place where people knew who were journalists, people knew who were verified accounts, They had some sort of way of figuring out who to follow and what information may be more credible than others. And all the things we've been highlighting as really concerning changes at the company over the last year are now really showing why it matters. We are seeing not just disinformation and misinformation proliferate on the platform, but I mean, if I can just give you a few examples, So just yesterday I saw, you know, when team saw a video from an account I usually had brought up the verification blue check process, from a blue check bought as an automated account who pays eight dollars a months to get that blue check, which means he's prioritized in our news feeds with the fake video saying it was come us executing hostages. Now what's interesting is, not only is that video still up as of last I checked about an hour ago and been viewed hundreds of thousands of times, there is no way for a user to flag it as mis or disinformation. If you look at the drop down menu of how to flag content, there is no option for disinformation.
Speaker 5: But they would say that's community notes. How has that been helping hindering?
Speaker 1: From real perspective, they would say that, and while community Notes in and of itself might be a really interesting experiment to think about for the future, it is not the way to moderate content during a real crisis. And to be clear, it's not just about what's happening on the ground right now, but we at ADL are also concerned about the potential to proliferate anti semitism. Here at home, we have extremists and antisemit anti smites who were replatformed over the past year on X reveling in some of this violence, actually seeing some of the most horrendous antisemitic things online. And I really really am happy to see exce's statement that they are proactively going to monitor for this, but I just have to be frank, right now, I'm not seeing that yet.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you for joining us on the show. While we've been on air, X have sent us some data saying that community Notes has generated close to thirty million impressions and that five hundred unique notes on the x platform directly relate to the tach the attacks. That's based on three days of activity. What I really want to ask you about is the positive story of social media. A lot of the engagement that we've had on the program, and indeed some of the guests that have joined were through social media channels. There are people trying on various platforms to identify those that are missing. Have you any evidence or have you seen any positive use cases of social media in the Israel Hamas over the last.
Speaker 1: Three days, So to your point, I'll start with community notes again. Yes, I think it's actually a really great way for people to be able to crowdsource information to fact check in real time. The problem is it's putting the responsibility on the user for doing that, as opposed to the platform itself. So while community notes is definitely an interesting, positive potential step, it cannot be the only thing for curbing this kind of disinformation.
Speaker 5: And you know this might not fit the word positive.
Speaker 1: But it is really actually important to see just how horrific the crimes are right now that are happening on the ground in Israel, and that does happen on social media. And we can debate whether terrible images online is useful, but to be able to see some of the very on the ground reporting to know that a grandmother was murdered in her own home while they filmed it on her own phone and uploaded it to her own Facebook feed. That's the type of thing we can only see if we have people really being able to report in real time.
Speaker 5: So that is a positive use.
Speaker 1: You can get so many voices that are not normally the voices that might surface. The challenge though, is how to differentiate that from the noise, from the blue checks, from the people who are purposely glorifying violence or seating anti Semitic conspiracy theories.
Speaker 5: To change the narrative here, Yeah, thank you for your time here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as in stat on the Anti Defamation League, we turn to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we will keep this conversation going, and coming up on the show, we're going to look at the impact of the war on the region's tech scene, not just Israel, but broader than that. That's next. This is Bloomberg Technology. We continue to monitor what's happening in the Middle East. On today's VC Spotlight, we want to welcome mahmood Quois for his take on how the Israel Hamas war has got impact both the Israeli and Palestinian tech sectors. Mamood is a Jerusalem based founder and CEO of software company tech Clinic, which has operations in both Jerusalem and Ramala in the central West Bank. He's also a researcher at Harvard Kennedy School's Belfa Center for Science in International Affairs. Mood, Welcome to Bloomberg Technology. You have on the ground connection to what is happening to the technology sector in both the West Bank and in the Gaza Strip. What can you tell us about the situation for the technology industry workers and founders that you know.
Speaker 11: Yes, well, thank you very much, and keviline for usting me.
Speaker 12: I would start saying that we learned a lot from COVID and we adapted very quickly. There was a shutdown of our services for one day or one and a half day. Then we recapped and our staff started to work from home and a serjective percent.
Speaker 11: Effort, not one hundred percent effort.
Speaker 12: We have people working from Gaza, people working from Romola and other people working from Jerusalem. So and the fact on the ground that the company is still running and other companies are also still still running.
Speaker 11: This situation in Gaza.
Speaker 12: This situation in Gaza and all the borders of Gaza has affected a lot of the economy, but with the tech it is less affected. I believe because of the type of services that we provide. As services, we don't go to factories. We work from our offices, from our home all over. What we need is a laptop and cloud.
Speaker 3: You're doing software development, outsourcing, testing, innovation, business development.
Speaker 5: I'm interested as to how intertwined.
Speaker 3: Those sort of supply chains, so dependencies that service is between Israel and Palestinians.
Speaker 5: How much are you seeing that they depend on each other?
Speaker 12: Well, I believe that most of the tech industry in Palestine depends on dements on Israeli, on the Israeli market together with the European and the US market, but the majority. I could claim that the majority are depending on the Israelio market, and there are lots of cooperation between the Palestinian tech companies and entrepreneurs with the Israelio market and entrepreneurs. There is no specific statistics that calculates this, but talks from the media and some sources from the articles in the media. There are some thirty one companies in Palestine, like in West Bank and Gaza, who are giving services to Israeli tech companies and multinational companies also operating from such as Nokia, Apple, Microsoft and other companies. So the dependency is very very high on the Israeli market. Now, during the situation, there was a little bit of not closing down but hold on with some projects. I was talking to some founders, some of their Israeli clients has stopped their operation for a while until things are not vague anymore, and I believe that life would go to normal. But with regards to the other clients in the US and in Europe, our team in Gaza are still operating under questions. Yes, it's a servisky situation, but they're still operating and providing services to our europe collect my mood.
Speaker 4: You recently stepped down in the last ten days or so. Is the chair of fifty to fifty, an accelerator a VC accelerator essentially that tried to back founders the work cross border Palestinian and Israeli. Do you have a sense of sort of the lasting impact of the talent poll and the guards of strip or indeed in the West Bank, you know, will we see technology startups coming out of those regions in the future.
Speaker 11: Oh yes, well, I do believe in that. For the last five years I was joining, I was on the board of.
Speaker 12: Fifty to fifty, and I've seeing the remarkable evidences on the ground of companies or co authored and co founded by Israeli and Parraslian co founders.
Speaker 11: Those companies are still are still running.
Speaker 12: Only this year in September, nine companies were established with two israel and Israeli and Parsinian co founders. And we're targeting the intellectual Parasceine and intellectual Israelis with masters and PhD degrees people would have who have patents and research on their ideas, and those they have lots of opportunities to win. Now let me let me also add that the Israel is more advanced in intech than than Palestine.
Speaker 11: And this is why I joined.
Speaker 12: This fifty to fifty and I was leading fifty to fifty in order to transfer some knowledge from from Israel into into Balastein and from the US also. And this is why we have partnered with Tel Aviv University with Israeli College of Engineering. Those are two leading Israeli academic institutions.
Speaker 11: Together with Northeastern University in Boston.
Speaker 3: Of course, bring your academia to the table. Of course, with your as a researcher for Harvard Kennedy Belfa Center. I'm interested is to your perspective on what what are the industries that we've seen really unique ideas come out of within tech from Palestinian entrepreneurs.
Speaker 5: What are they looking to solve?
Speaker 12: Well, there there are many Parstilians are human beings, same as really same as others.
Speaker 11: So it is what they like is the platform.
Speaker 12: That can have have them and incubate incubate them.
Speaker 11: Currently, the the incubator and the environment.
Speaker 12: In Palistine are not enabling enough for those ideas.
Speaker 11: But we're talking about.
Speaker 12: Innovation AI in computing and quantum computing, and agriculture, food tech, fintech, and many many other industries.
Speaker 11: It is the same as the whole world.
Speaker 12: We are very much exposed to the to the international community and to the international innovation and then the whole world. We are lots of our youth are part of the World Economic Forum and they join the many conferences all over the world. So we have different sources of knowledge that we bring into Palestine. And besides, besides that, parastinias are known of highly educated educated people, like the majority of parastilians.
Speaker 11: Have a BA degree like a bachelor degree. And this is a good.
Speaker 12: Pool of talents that we can contribute to the to the word solution truly.
Speaker 3: Cross Fader conversation, Mamood Grace, thank you so much, CEO of Tech Clinic, We thank you.
Speaker 4: The writers strike is over after a tough hot summer for Hollywood, but the troubles on over for Bob Eyger. Disney's legendary CEO, came out of retirement to save the company right into for its one hundredth birthday, but nothing has really gone his way so far. Let's break down the details with Bloomberg's Thomas Buckley. You've done this kind of big takedown in Business Week. Tell me about the magazine piece.
Speaker 13: Absolutely so. The magazine piece ed looks at the return of Chief Executive Officer of the Disney Company, Bob Aiker, who left the company in twenty twenty one as executive chairman before that as CEO in February twenty twenty. He came back to the helm of Disney in November of last year, and so far nothing at all has gone his way. I think that the TV business is in a decaying state that he had not anticipated fully. The streaming service is losing hundreds of millions of dollars every quarter, and he desperately needs it to be profitable by next year to honor a pledge the new mat to Wall Street. He has yet to find a successor, and speculation is rampant on Wall Street that he's looking to potentially break up the company to extract value in that direction.
Speaker 3: Absolutely fascinating take about whether or not he wants upon a time is looking for Apple to be the buyer, and indeed whether or not he saw his future really remaining with the business. Thirty seconds Thomas has he lost his allies?
Speaker 13: I think with a number of his allies during his first tenure that really helped shape with the success of his first tenure. Have Nelsonce left the company, He's actually got a few allies left of the company, and that's led him to reappoint two of his former successes in waiting to advise him on selling different parts of the business.
Speaker 4: So that's not to say.
Speaker 13: That he's lacking support from his employee based I think that most reliefs are most employees are still very really, but he is back. But nonetheless I think that he certainly doesn't have the cohor that he used to have supporting the success of his first tenure during his second term.
Speaker 3: I'm really urge everyone to go grab a cup of coffee sit down with this piece because it's a long read, but it's a great read. Bloom MoG's Thomas Buckley, we thank you so much for it. Meanwhile, some breaking news on Caroline Allison. She is indeed saying that Sam mcmnfree directed her to commit crimes. We have so much more in the Crypto Show coming up next on Bloomberg. You don't want to miss it.
Speaker 5: Silt back technology