Speaker 1: Did you grow You didn't grow up in Canada, did you No?
Speaker 2: Allentown, Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Allentown, Pennsylvania. What is growing up in Allentown? Like with that Billy Joel song being out there, is it like, what is the role of that song in the life of someone growing up in Allentown?
Speaker 2: It was kind of weird because it's like in your head, you're like, oh, this is a song about where I am from. And I'm of the age that that song was very popular when I was like young, yeah, child, and and my dad worked at the Bethlam Steel and so did my grandfather.
Speaker 1: God damn man and singing your life like exactly the words exactly.
Speaker 2: Lost his job when they shut the factories down. And my grandfather was a World War two vet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like you know, I mean, I was just gonna say, like, the song is vague enough, it's just like, well, we're living here, We're in allen I've never had a song specifically describe what I was doing. So so but that ship like even the verses are describing your life. That's wild. Hello the Internet, ed, Welcome to season three, ninety five, episode five of Dirnily Site. Guys, it's a production of iHeartRadio. It's a podcast where we take a deep dab into America share consciousness. That it is Friday, July fourth, twenty twenty five. It's what have we ever recorded a July fourth episode? We're just like doing an episode on a holiday.
Speaker 3: We're absolutely hostile towards this nation. We don't even acknowledge it. And yes, we'll just I guess is that is it more of a July or that we work on a national holiday?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Exactly what's up, Bob?
Speaker 3: What's up dog day to day or not?
Speaker 1: Why are we here working on July fourth?
Speaker 3: My bad by guy? Yeah?
Speaker 1: This is also I mean the big oh, I think this is a bunny. They think this is a bunny. Yep ye, Winnie the fucking Pooh. Wait, where is that video clip?
Speaker 3: I was trying to queue it up because that's really the only thing worth talking.
Speaker 1: That's the only day. That's the only thing we honor on July fourth is the It's Winny, It's Winnie the fucking Pooh. Today.
Speaker 3: There it is, here we go. Oh, you thought this was a rabbit.
Speaker 2: They thought this was a rabbit. That's funny, exactly, thank you, Yeah, fourth of July.
Speaker 1: You heard it.
Speaker 3: I heard it. Okay, shout out hitting like graba on TikTok for that iconic fourth. That's the only way to celebrate. You better pull it. You think this is you thought it was a rabbit the exactly they thought this was a democracy.
Speaker 1: This was a democracy.
Speaker 2: Democracy, y'all.
Speaker 3: Fuck the fourth of July.
Speaker 1: And in any ways, I mean it could be you could turn that into a political cartoon about how Chinese spies are behind everything. You know, sure, because the she looks like wait, Winnie the Pooh, you.
Speaker 3: Know what else it is? Okay, it's also I like this. It's National Caesar Salad Day.
Speaker 1: Wow, Caesar salad come through on a day when nobody is eating Caesar salads exactly, like this is our day.
Speaker 3: Shout out to the I believe the chef, the person. I think it was created in Mexico, So I think it's very yeah, says our Cardini. So yeah, shout out that one. And also it's Alice in Wonderland Day also whatever that means.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the wedge would be the more appropriate salad or just a nice fruit salad, watermelon.
Speaker 3: You shouldn't eat a salad on fourth of July, just generally if No, isn't that.
Speaker 1: Sleg beef just animal fat.
Speaker 3: Just go to like a food chemical plant and be like, can I get like seven gallons of night traits?
Speaker 1: I don't care what.
Speaker 3: Kind can this beer?
Speaker 2: Bong this thing really quick?
Speaker 1: Anyways? My name is Jack O'Brien aka Booch. Your bill is lame. Your bill is lame, bitch, Your bill is lame. No one curd to see a halcyon salad on the discord. Just trying to give Chuck Schumer some ideas instead of just doing being like, we're not going to call it beautiful anymore, we're gonna call it the act. This would have been more fun if he just came kicked in the door.
Speaker 3: Jesus, I don't think we're far off from some white liberal in Congress like performing ludicrous.
Speaker 1: Ooh, bitch, and your bill is lame. Your bill is lame.
Speaker 3: Oh the bill's out. We're about to It's like Jesus Christ, sit down.
Speaker 1: I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles Grass.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's getting shakier. Is shakeier straight out here rocking his uh existential dreadlocks. It's sob Marley aka Miles Great thank you so much for having.
Speaker 1: Me existential dreadlock.
Speaker 3: Ye may, I was just having a I was having a wild one this morning. I was like, ah, I have I have weight on my soul somehow. I think it's just again, this is just a theme in the US, but on July fourth specifically, there's just something about it's hitting different today.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, extra good right, yeah good, Yeah that's what you mean. First off, just real quick getting feedback. People are finding the show finding useful, So just anyone who wants to share it, rate it, review it, all that stuff first rate podcast ask people to do. Uh. I think the last time we asked for reviews on the Apple podcast Apple was like in the late nineties. Yeah, so yeah, do that again because it helps people find the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we love Zayi Gang is expanding, so welcome to new listeners.
Speaker 1: Welcome the new listeners.
Speaker 3: All thrilled to have you once you realize that you've been listening to a second rate show.
Speaker 1: But hey, it's it's it's it's good enough. It's good enough anyways. Uh yeah, thrilled, thrilled to have you. Everybody. Let's try getting the word out XO XO Myles. We're thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a very funny comedian and New York Times best selling author. His third album without pictures and first special with pictures just dropped from Blonde Medicine. Please welcome. It's Jim too. Thank you. What's up, Jim?
Speaker 2: Nothing? That was a good intro. I appreciate that, man. I don't think I made any of that up. No, you nailed it all right, good, well you needn't make that up either. We took you at your word on a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, not gonna lie. I did not fact check.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did watch the special though, which is very funny. So I guess that's fact checking. Yeah, yeah, that's yeah.
Speaker 2: The New York Times bestseller thing is true, but people don't believe it. But the qualifier is it was a It made the number ten on the Animals list, and it was a parody book about humans of New York. So I have a title people. Because he's New York Times bestseller, people are thinking it was this like some novel some.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, yeah novel. Yeah yeah, yeah. I'm also a New York Times bestseller with a huge ass risk. Because it's not my name. I I you know, co wrote a book that had a bunch of other authors, but it made the list. Still, man, that's still counting.
Speaker 3: You're not you're flexing a New York Times bestseller out here.
Speaker 1: You don't, you don't.
Speaker 2: You don't take that.
Speaker 1: I guess we haven't been in the same room for a while, so you haven't seen my belt, but that I have made. But it's like a match on t they give him out. You got a belt buckle, the jacket, the belt buckle.
Speaker 2: It's the only the only way you can use the bathroom, the employee bathroom. If you go into a Barnes and Noble, you have to show them the belt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're like, all right, this person, he's one of our kings. Yeah, he's not gonna be shooting junk in the stall. He's actually going to use the bathroom the belt.
Speaker 1: But you're allowed to bring the book into the bathroom. When you're in New York Times bestseller.
Speaker 2: You can read it's it's a loan out. You could do it, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Jim. We're thrilled to have you. We're going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're going to tell the listeners. A couple of things we're talking about. We're talking about how tariffs are messing up our dang fireworks shows. You know that partially just a story that the media loves to tell. Holiday adjacent shortage. Every year, it's Valentine's Day carts, I think, Halloween candy, Christmas trees. Sometimes we're running out of Christmas trees this year. Usually it's bullshit of some sort or another. But are fireworks cash? Not mine, not the one that I have buried in my backyard, but America in general's firework cash is heavily reliant on imports from China, and they're thinking it's going to be a little bit more expensive this year and then next year, which is as we're all ready to celebrate America's two hundred and fiftieth birthday. Oh shit if we make it. Yeah, you know, they're like, there's not gonna be any fireworks, But we'll talk about why that might not be the worst thing in the world. Uh, and drones in particular, we'll talk about Donald Trump and just his ongoing mental decline. Yeah, I call it good for the don't tell Mom.
Speaker 3: The Babysitters Dead presidency.
Speaker 1: Yeah, follow up, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: They're like, Okay, now they're in charge, Like, I don't know, are they who is? Who is?
Speaker 1: And will there be a heartwarming store like where Christina Applegate like kind of learns how to be an adult and learns responsibility and falls in love. Do we think do we see that for the people who are actually running the country behind the scenes, like Stephen.
Speaker 3: Miller, we'll see I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'd love to see that for him. He's going to be love to see on a nice date where he goes to a Toys r Us and bounces on the bouncy body. You remember that, Yeah, yeah, from on the Babysitters Dead. I remember only I remember.
Speaker 2: I only remember the dishes.
Speaker 1: The dishes are done. Yeah, that was the other the other front. He couldn't have possibly thought that's what she meant due to the dishes. He didn't think that's what the dishes. Anyways, we'll talk about that. We will check in with our good friend doctor Phil. We're concerned. You know, we're checking in as concerned friends because he had to declare bankruptcy.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, Christian soldier goes down in the war against Look.
Speaker 1: That's right, all that plenty more, but first, Jim, we like to ask our guests around here, what is something from your search history that is revealing about who you are?
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, I just went when I saw this question, I just went back and thought about recent search histories, and the most recent thing has been skateboard wheels. Okay, I start. I mean, I've been skateboarding because I was a kid. Oh, but I was like, this year, this summer, I'm gonna I'm gonna get back on the board a little bit.
Speaker 1: I put it off last year.
Speaker 2: So so then I I decided to get some new wheels, and I started searching for them, and then I I can't just graze the surface of anything, so I just I've just been searching for the perfect size and dorometer that i'd like to put on my board, and I found them. If anyone's curious, fifty eight millimeter ninety three a derometer.
Speaker 3: What kind of bearings you got in there, dude, China.
Speaker 2: Reds oh, A right, base level bearings. I don't like to go fast.
Speaker 3: I get it, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 1: Derometer is a word that I'm not familiar with.
Speaker 2: That's like how hard they are?
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: I was gonna. I was gonna be like, uh, I think you mean diameter Jim. But okay, I'm glad I didn't do.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that reveals anything about who I am, but no, it reveals way.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a skateboarder would make up about the hardness, because like duro means hard in Spanish. You know, Like, dude, what's the dourometer on those wheels?
Speaker 1: That's probably how it came about, probably not, but hey, hardometer? Like, nah, that doesn't sound good. How about the dirometer?
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, hell yeah?
Speaker 1: What's the dourometer on that hairdo?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the volume on that thing.
Speaker 3: I cut a water moon and half on those spikes or what? Dude?
Speaker 1: What is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: I wrote? I wrote down a couple of things. I'm gonna say. Riding bikes places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, riding bikes places is great, one of the great joys.
Speaker 2: It's truly great. I mean, in New York it's great as it is terrifying, but it's still great. Drawing even if you're bad at it, I think is underrated. I think it's it's good to try. Yeah, and ordering food in person, like pick up order and pick up at Starbucks by walking in, saying what you want, and then and waiting in line.
Speaker 3: Not using an app to not use Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Shade on the app people. But I think it's I have a theory that you have to improve your odds of having good interactions with other humans as much as you can. So the more actual interactions you have, the better your odds that you will get good ones.
Speaker 1: Right, So you just collecting good interactions? It sounds like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, you could look at it that way. You're greedy collecting interactions. You're getting a better sample size of interactions to decide whether or not people suck. People are good?
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah? If you default the app, people fuck is suck. That's what I'm going to use the app. I don't have to talk to anyone then yeah.
Speaker 2: Well you've only talked to three people, so yeah.
Speaker 3: Well I hate my mom, dad, and grandma.
Speaker 1: Do you have a thing that you draw? Like? I can draw sharks pretty well because I drew a lot of them when I was waiting ages like four to seven, So that's the one thing I can still draw. You got Do you got a thing that you can draw?
Speaker 2: I draw little cartoon faces a lot.
Speaker 1: That's fun. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was a caricatu artist at Dorney Park when I was a teenager.
Speaker 1: So you're not a bad You're not a bad drawer the way that I know.
Speaker 2: But that's my point. I think, even if you're bad at it, you should give it a shot. Just give it a shot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's encouraging from somebody who actually knows how to draw, because I started doing like adult coloring books and shit, I love I love that. Yeah, and then that's that's led me more into like drawing, and I realized, like I keep drawing faces the same way I did when I since like fifth grade, with like the big bubble eyes and like the same nose, and I'm like, I have no other way to draw faces.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I can do I can do an okay I and but but I just don't know, like like the face always comes out fucked up, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah that thing where somebody said that Lonzo Ball looks like seventh grader trying to draw Drake, right, Like that's kind of how like my my version of faces. Like it's just like it's hard to say what is wrong, but something's very wrong, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I did recently a thing or like maybe right after the fire. Her Majesty and I were like just trying to be less on the TV and there was like that trend going on social media where like couples would do like a hand drawn portrait of each other other like for like five minutes. Oh my god, it tested every fiber of our marriage because what I turned around, she was like she was actually aghast with how poor my drawing skills were, and she's like, are you even trying to draw me? Or you just drew like any fucking face and made like these wispy smigel hairs on.
Speaker 1: Top of I'm like eagle hairs. Suit.
Speaker 3: I suck. I'm so fucking bad at drawing. But it was actually pretty entertaining because she was she's actually good at it, and I was just shame she nailed you drawing as much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were like, God, damn, I finally see myself.
Speaker 3: You got the stink lines and everything.
Speaker 1: Shut up, mo. Yeah. The two things that I drew growing up is, uh, sharks and then you know, like sharks eating people, and then I would I would always draw Michael Jordan, but I couldn't draw his face, so I would just draw him from the back doing stuff. Yeah, and then you put there, everybody knows who it is. They're like, damn, that's actually pretty good. But yeah, get that silhouett smooth, smooth back of the head so you don't have to like draw hair.
Speaker 3: Did you get a sense of like this curvature of the skull or did it just look like a thumb from behind?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: I think I got pretty good at drawing the back of the I'm much better at drawing the back of the head than the being.
Speaker 2: Like, I'm going to get the shape of the back of a head and have somebody recognize it.
Speaker 1: Yes, as the back of a head. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Okay, all right, man, I'm gonna have to get back out there.
Speaker 2: And I'm thinking, like drawing sharks at that age is like a really that's like a that's big social currency.
Speaker 1: It was pretty like that. That was what I was known as. That was like, my my first identity was guy who likes jaws and draws draws. Those are my two things.
Speaker 3: The little boy who cannot read can't draw jaws.
Speaker 1: That was the part they didn't say out loud around me. Yeah, you can't speak yet, but we think he may have some savant quality man and then like you know, always always a leg that had been bitten off, you know, just like floating to the bottom, like at the beginning in Jaws. I definitely drew some sharks scenes that at one point a teacher like pulled me aside and was like, did you draw this? Like what a little concerned about?
Speaker 3: Like how you're like, yeah, fifteen bucks, got it? Or what cash right now? Regal work? Wait, you got to send us through the group chat a shark drawing Jack, because now my interest is fucking peaked. I need to see I'm.
Speaker 1: Not like good for an adult, they were good, I just I know.
Speaker 3: But knowing you and you coming out with like I can draw a shark pretty good, I'm like, now I want to see the Jack O'Brien child shark draw.
Speaker 1: All of a sudden, I'll be merched.
Speaker 3: That could be merched because we have no I think we're about to not have a merch store.
Speaker 1: Merch store. Shit.
Speaker 2: If your style is consistent with the sharks, it doesn't matter how bad they are either like it, if they all look like you draw them, then you're then you're making art. Then you're onto something.
Speaker 1: I would say when my kids like first started drawing and I sat down with them and drew a shark and they were like, goddamn, like you you can draw huh. And then they asked me to draw something else and they're like, oh, you can only draw sharks. They for me immediately that sucks.
Speaker 3: Oh, because they had that moment, they're like, daddy's a good.
Speaker 1: Drop's a good artist. Maybe we're fuck he's an idiot. Fuck he was tricking us, Jim, what's something you think is? And also riding bikes place is great, great underrated, just three great underrated right right in a row. Riding bikes like miles you're underrated. A while back was just like swinging on a swing. Like swinging is just like the closest we get to flying, you know, it's just like god, something it does to your equilibrium. I think biking is also like that. It's like biking is just like you're kind of coasting, you know, like moving through space.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's in your ear stimulation that you get that we haven't had since primates apparently is what they say.
Speaker 1: It like really turns my brain like up a notch. Where like I used to like ride bikes a little bit like off roads, you know, like as a as a kid, and like you're just like, look, you know, your head's on a swivel. Feel feel like you're really present? Yeah, very present would be Yeah. Yeah, all right, Jill. What's something you think is overrated? Overrated? Retirement? Planning for retirement? Uh huh?
Speaker 2: Video games as a lifestyle as me sounding old and then and then turning your life into content in an overwhelming way. Not the way we do it right professional entertainers. But uh no, you know where it's just it's all consuming.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, for sure. Wait, so I'm guessing your life is intersecting with all three of these on some level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't planned for retirement.
Speaker 3: What's the point?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: And uh, I mean I guess I know there is a point. I just not a.
Speaker 3: Little nihilistic about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure, Right, video games? I do love same, but I've realized that I it's like not a serious addiction, but it's like I can't touch that stuff or it will consume me. I can only play like little little puzzle games and things, you know, something.
Speaker 3: Like Elder Scrolls or something would take your life away.
Speaker 2: Well, the last game I got obsessed with was called The Long Dark. Oh yeah, it's like a survival crafting game. And I'm and those games like really get me. And I'm like spending hours playing this game, trying to survive in the game in a very slow, drawn out way, and I'm like, this is I need to be doing this in my life.
Speaker 1: I'm not surviving in life.
Speaker 2: I need to be like crafting and collecting resources in real life.
Speaker 1: But I'm sill a retirement.
Speaker 2: Yeah, five hours at a clip, like collecting sticks to build a fire in a video game, but instead.
Speaker 3: You're a bush pilot in like it was a Canada or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it stranded alone.
Speaker 1: So yeah.
Speaker 2: That and then turning my life into content is just one of those things where I'm that age, you know, and like with this specials, it's like, Okay, you got to build up the YouTube channel, keep posting social media, and it's like every moment you start to think like should I be filming this?
Speaker 1: Could I make this into something?
Speaker 2: And that's the thing that nobody had to do fifteen years ago, right, And it's like it is weird should.
Speaker 1: We have to do this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it feels like it's it's this this thing happens too, when people do a lot on social media and then start doing a thing that is really passionate for them, and like you're like, I used to post so much on social media, but for me, I was getting jokes off or being stupid on Instagram because I didn't have an real creative outlet, Like I had a job that I fucking hated, right, and then once I started doing this, like I became so fulfilled from like doing this shit on mic and talking about and that like my social media just like output just completely fell off because my bucket became completely filled in this other direction. But I also see too, how like I have other friends who are always thinking about like content, and I'm like that must be so fucking exhausting, Like I can bear. I mean obviously record like twice a day, but to then add the what's my social media output gonna be? Uh? It fucking gives me anxiety.
Speaker 2: Right to have no like turn off, no no thing where you're like, all right, I'm I'm shutting this out. I'm gonna go to.
Speaker 3: The beach, go ride my bike, exactly right.
Speaker 2: And that'd be like, you know, because I do it. Tell me like I'm gonna go for a bike ride. Uh shit, I should probably charge my GoPro and then probably take pictures along that. Yeah, and I'm like, uh yeah.
Speaker 1: Superproducer on A. Hosny, a original producer of this show, is always like like you should be like you could have massive follower numbers for like like one of my sons is really funny and just like thinking about that is like I don't know there's I forget who the thinker is. I know who it is, but I forget his name. The guy who like kind of speaks with a lisp, who's like Eastern European, oh slaslaw saso. Yeah, yeah, anyway, he like talks about how like the there is a huge price that we pay in capitalism to just like sell your soul to like act excited and like commodify your own subjectivity to be like this is good and like try and like bend your entire like yes, the entire way that we like think about the world and like you know, being in meetings and acting excited about like a corporate thing and like just how that like kills you slowly, Like that is a price that you're paying. That's not nothing, that's like you're selling off your free will and subjectivity as a human being, and like to do that to your relationships with like the people around you who you love and be like you just have that idea of like selling invade your actual like personal life like feels fucking crazy to me. It feels like I feel like it would it would break me. By the way I was joking, she's not she's not telling me to actually do that, but no, no, no, it does. Like I don't know, I feel like there are families that do that and it sounds really.
Speaker 2: Hard or like, yeah, like you know, going to turning a Costco trip into like this thing that becomes you know, like the Costco guys.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: They can never go to the grocery store and just pick up food again.
Speaker 1: Right, there's so much pressure on every Costco trip, Right, one of the great joys of American life going to Costco with out an.
Speaker 3: Aim, yeah and being anonymously. It's like that guy's had so many fucking samples. He just keeps turning his hat front or back to pretend like he just wasn't here two seconds ago.
Speaker 1: Every time.
Speaker 3: Man, yeah, I missed those lunches. That's how my grandpa and I will go have lunch back. What it's called Fedco.
Speaker 1: Fed was called Fedco.
Speaker 3: There was a there was a costco type store called Fedco that we would go to and it was Sample City, baby, and we would do fed Co lunch, me and my grandpa.
Speaker 2: So many fucking sample Fedco. Sounds like a socialist grossery store does fed Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've been fed that's that's that's what he's gonna have.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, those are FEDCO's coming to New York.
Speaker 1: I heard that's right.
Speaker 3: Oh shit, it was. Actually it was the Federal Employees Distributing Company. Oh, a membership department store that was in southern California nineteen forty eight to nineteen ninety nine. Wow, oh shit, this ship was Oh it was a nonprofit consumer op founded by Post office employees. Oh so it was like shot out my Grandpa warm Bro taking me to the fucking people's store.
Speaker 2: It was like the exchange for military folks.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, yeah, it was right there on.
Speaker 1: I bet it sucked then, right, If it was funded by the government, it must have been fucking terrible.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man. We could go and we would get fucking fed at fed Co.
Speaker 1: Okay, but the DMV miles. The DMV sucks. So everything that is funded by the government must forever and ever and always.
Speaker 3: And I would eat a handful of frozen meatballs and walk out of there with some ill fitting shoes.
Speaker 2: But you had to wait in line for a couple hours right.
Speaker 1: At gunpoint. Yeah, under under paintings of Barack Obama. They already had them back then, they already knew all right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back and we'll talk about how they're still in our fucking American freedoms. And we're back. And on fourth of July, no less, the tariffs are coming for our fireworks. Seeing as how the US pyrotechnics industry is quote heavily reliant on imports from China, people are kind of looking with foreboding at these tariffs because it's not it's like one part of the economy that hasn't been taken over. But like there's not like a big apple store like place that sells fireworks, you know, it's all still just like fucking I don't know. I like, Missouri is one of the states I've lived in where fireworks are totally you know, sold everywhere, and it's just side of the road shops like it feels like you've traveled back in time when you go buying fireworks, And.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen the big one like stores in Ohio, like Phantom Fireworks. They're like, oh, those are like Pennsylvania. So they do have the slick They do have a big box version. Oh yeah, I mean, I don't know how slick they are. They still feel like warehouses. But yeah, I think it was called Phantom Fireworks. When you're driving from like New York to Allentown on seventy eight, there's a big fireworks store and you see them like in Ohio and stuff too, or like West Virginia or whatever. Yeah, it's called Phantom Fireworks Helly and that's all they sell.
Speaker 3: There was also do you see like that explosion at the California Yeah, the fireworks facility up in Yolo County.
Speaker 1: It's up north. It's one of the things from the Naked Gun that comes reil everyone. It's one of the most unrealistic parts of the Naked Gun that actually is based on reality, is the fireworks factory explosion. Yeah. Those happen every once in a while and they do not stop for a good minute. There is just a chain reaction of everything in the building going up.
Speaker 3: I'm curious. I don't know, do you are you noticing less preemptive Fourth of July fireworks because usually I feel like fireworks are happening not I mean they're always NonStop really in LA, but usually this week before Fourth of July, I hear so many more fireworks, and I've heard them here and there. But I just I'm not sure if I guess we might not be in this patriotic of a mood. Or maybe it's the fires that has people less interested in in bang bangs and mass in their neighborhoods. But I don't know if it's also the tariffs man.
Speaker 1: Could be the tariffs could also So there's also just a lot of local firework displays are getting phased out. I think partially it's expensive. Partially it's the fucking environmentalist they hate our freedom.
Speaker 3: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: That is like how it's covered in like some of the local news reports. I was looking at one from hang A Mass where they were talking about the environmental repercussions of fireworks, which are not fake. There's a toxic exhaust, there's just like explosions, so it's like traumatizing both dogs and like wildlife, not just like domesticated pets, but like birds, and everyone's getting the fuck out of there. I didn't realize this that like the blue and red colors we see in fireworks are because of copper and lithium like that that's what's in there. It's not just like it's such as like food dye that they're putting in the explosions, Like that's kind of My brain was always just like, I don't know, it's probably they just like do a little color, put a little color in there, and it makes that color. Now you have to have like weird chemical reactions happening to make those colors.
Speaker 2: That's crazy.
Speaker 1: The smoke obviously generates particulate matter, smells like a gunfight and terrible for people with PTSD, terrible for dogs. So a lot of people are replacing them with drone shows, which I have seen a couple in my time in person. They are really cool. Like I was watching one guy who's so hang on, like I said, left the fireworks behind for environmental reasons and now they're doing drone shows. And the guy that they were interviewing, who is the head of the company that puts on the drone show is like we never do the same effect twice, Like, you will never come to one of our shows and see something like you've seen before. It's always going to be different, tough guys, which is the exact opposite of fireworks like.
Speaker 2: Predictable.
Speaker 1: I had a feeling that's where they were going with this one.
Speaker 3: But do you even remember a firework like specifically, like dude, then there was that one that went yeah, yeah, like we don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It is funny in that sense that it's like I just want to hear the bangs and the and the flashes of light. I couldn't tell you. I'm not like as for as many fire professional fireworks display as I've seen, I couldn't tell you like the kinds of them. There's the ones that little cracklers, and then there's like the big fucking gigantic ones at the end. I feel like that's where my knowledge ends.
Speaker 2: Basically, it's not about the fireworks, it's about the friends you make along the way.
Speaker 1: That's right exact the fireworks show. All my best friends I met at various fireworks shows absolutely the So for some reason for me, fireworks are like always annoying and boring if I intend to go see a fireworks show, but if I like accidentally happen upon one, or like I'm driving and there's a fireworks show off to the side, like that's the best. Like that's like, oh my god, there's fireworks. Yeah, Like it really I think because like if you're going and sitting and watching it, it like puts it in the context of like a movie or like some sort of entertainment, and in that context it sucks. But in the context of just like a thing that's happening in the landscape that you like typically live in, you're just like off to the side, suddenly there's like explosions happening. There's one year, like before we had kids, where like my wife and I forgot that like it was the fourth of July and we were like doing a lot of running at that time, and so we like took a run down by the beach and like it was as like the big like Santa Monica firework show was going off. So we're just like running by as like this massive firework show was like going off, and it was really it was really cool. But like so that's like the firework thing I remember, I never like intend to go to a firework show and walk away being like, ah, they've really done it this time, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I guess a drone show, you do, remember it's like, oh, that eagle turned into a football ye suddenly, Yeah, like you can at least describe that rather than go it went boom and then it was red.
Speaker 2: It tells me you get a story of the birth of our nation through silhouette drawings of eually and flags.
Speaker 3: And yeah, as Brian the Editor to point out, and famously, drones are made in America and aren't subject to Chinese tariffs at all, because every drone you see in the sky made right here in the US of A. And not oh wait, nope, nope, they're most okay, they're from the news.
Speaker 1: Is the part of their life cycle is not once you use them they explode, So that's good. You can kind of like hang on to them for next year.
Speaker 2: Hopefully they also don't accidentally fire off in the direction of a crowd when something gets knocked over right right.
Speaker 3: I wonder if the guy who like does that drone show just has to rack his brain to figure out how he's going to fucking up the ante every time he doesn't new yeah.
Speaker 2: Man, the marching band director trying to figure out new patterns to.
Speaker 1: He's like losing his hair and clumps. He's like, I just don't almost got it.
Speaker 3: Almost I stopped doing acid man, but I might have, you know back.
Speaker 1: Like if you look at the Guinness Book World Record, like the biggest drone show ever, they're really fucking kind of mind blowing. The one thing that I was disappointed by though, you know the one whereas there's the big viral like skeleton about to step on you. Oh yeah, yeah, that one. I think that one's a fake because yeah, because they're like you can't actually make them move that fast, Like that thing is moving way too fast. And also you can like tell that no, like when you look at the street shot, nobody's actually looking up. Everybody's just like walking like it's normal. So they just like pasted it over top of everything. A fucking illusion in my life, I know, but there are real ones that are pretty crazy. I just don't think they can move quite that smoothly as of yet. Yeah, but I mean just look at like how New Jersey reacted to people flying drones over their state. They're like the fucking aliens are here, So there's like something inherently impressive about it that will fill people with awe. So I don't know, Zychang, let us know, first of all, if we're missing some aspect of fireworks that can be I will say, like setting off the time that I did live in Missouri and like my friend came and visited me, and we got very drunk and at like three in the morning one night, just like went out into a like open field and just started setting fireworks off and that was That was fun. I don't recommend it, but that was super fun.
Speaker 2: Yeahersal fireworks show is still pretty solid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly. But yeah. And then a drone show if anybody's seen it particularly good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, send a good one, Send us a good one that's not a skeleton. Well whatever, even if it's fake, who gives a ship.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break. We'll come back and we're back.
Speaker 3: We're back.
Speaker 1: And doctor Phil also back in the news declaring bankruptcy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he definitely he leaned into his role of like chief boot liquor, boot throweders slash c list propagandist for the Trump regime, like with the televised ice raids in like Chicago and La.
Speaker 1: I thought he must be like looking at numbers that were like, this is what the people want from you, you know, because I.
Speaker 3: Think he's just got bad rich guy instincts basically, yeah.
Speaker 4: And he's like, and hey, what is a Nazi. Let's see, let's let's break it down. Well, I is not wearing swastikas, so they're not Nazis.
Speaker 3: Any other questions. Let's move on hail Trump. But yeah, when we talked about the ice Raids special like a few months ago, I mentioned that a lot of his integration with with Trump and like that media apparatus has been to try and prop up his own failing anti woke entertainment network called Merritt Street Media. Again, I don't know if that's like a reference to like bootstrapping non dei shit because it's based on merit, or it's also MSM and he can laugh at them. I don't know, it's doctor Phil. He might not even fucking know that at all. But anyway, after barely a year on the air, he's had to be, like you said, Jack, a common Michael Scott walk into the street and declare bankruptcy. But he's also suing TBN Trinity Broadcast Network because that's obviously the largest distributor of Jesus content on Earth. The Unholy Union that brought us Merritt Street Trinity, but is very Catholic.
Speaker 1: But I feel like this can't be Catholic, right, the Holy Trinity?
Speaker 3: No, but the Triune God. You know, I think we can. Well, we'll mention it, you know, we'll mention.
Speaker 1: It, okay for Trinity Broadcasting Network.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now he's like he's doing this thing where it's he's bankrupt, but now he has to sue Trinity Broadcast Network because he's saying it's there. It's not his fault for having it to me. Yeah, he was saying, quote, the network's broadcast partner backed out of its obligations and instead quote abused its position as a controlling shareholder. As a result, Merritt Street claims it was forced to quote pay or incur obligations to third parties in excess of one hundred million dollars. And they're saying, basically, the Jesus Network fucked us and now we need to sue them.
Speaker 1: Sounds like there's nobody watched his bullshit channel and so he's like a lot of people, a lot of money among thieves over there.
Speaker 3: I know, right, not at all, not at all, And I mean I think, let's be honest, trying to launch a fucking cable channel in the Year of Our Lord twenty twenty five, Like, are you fucking dumb?
Speaker 1: All right, we're gonna think we're gonna put move that investment and move it over to print magazines. Yeah, exactly, venture books.
Speaker 3: We're doing flip books now.
Speaker 1: But again, I think we're doing those pens where you like flip them upside down and the girl's closed come off.
Speaker 3: He look at that mobile.
Speaker 2: Silent film production company Nickelodeon's, hey, that's something.
Speaker 1: Might be something I don't know, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess we can't be surprised because he's just a millionaire hopped up on his own God complex. So of course he's going to be like, yeah, yeah, yeah, people want me to have my own channel. He said when he launched the channel.
Speaker 4: That I feel like this is a channel that you can just turn on and leave on all day because we'll have something that appeals to you throughout the day, like doctor Philry runs and a bunch of non like nonsense Jesus content.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's just something you just turn on in a room where you're not even at all, right, you don't even have to know it's all, and then you just like trick the advertisers into thinking that you're watching and we make money if that's cool.
Speaker 3: Oh, like the TV version of like those Spotify songs, like when those bands would like just play our silent track. Yeah, so we get the like just play it overnight, so we get some Spotify money.
Speaker 1: I will say, like if we want to go real old media for him, just like one of those traveling like wagons, like because he's a fake doctor. Yeah, like oil, yeah, snake oil, just like a covered wagon where he goes from town to town and like kind of reads the news of the world, like in that Tom Hanks movie, which one is that it was called the News of the World. A lot of a lot of people saw it. I guess what's that from? But is that recent? That's it? You know that that was a type of entertainment back in the day where you just like kind.
Speaker 3: Of went from that Tom Hanks movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was called News of the World. I forget who made it. Should have been a thing, but it just like, wasn't I think it might come during the pandemic?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it came out in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: What the fuck?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is sounding like only familiar enough to think maybe I dreamed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he went in a covered wagon from town to town and read the news. That was what.
Speaker 2: That was the like, it didn't change from one town to the next.
Speaker 1: No, he just like he was the guy who had a subscription to the newspaper.
Speaker 2: I was just like, all right, here we go, sick sharing your login.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but just like an actual snake oil like road show would make sense for him, I feel like and steer into the curve, doctor Phil, Like, just because this antiquated type of media didn't work out for you, I feel like you just keep going deeper into the past.
Speaker 3: Yeah i'd say that, or you know, maybe try infomercials something you know, but don't let your hustle.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I mean, supplements are evergreen. You know, they've been selling supplements since since entertainment was a guy telling you what the what the lamp flickers on the cave wall looked like that one kind of looks like an elephant.
Speaker 3: Got it kind of feels like as much as I laugh at this concept, I'm like, dude, this kind of sounds like a podcaster of the reconstruction period of America. Right, It's like, hey man, too lazy to find shit out, I'll tell you some stuff through my biased perspective. We want to take it as fact, all right? Moving on, news from the Orient coming.
Speaker 1: Out all right, Well, from one failed venture to the next, we have Chuck E Cheese being like, what if Dave and Busters didn't exist?
Speaker 3: So they the games were more shit?
Speaker 1: This is such a This is just like an idea that seems like they had to have come up with it in a locked room only, like not knowing what. Anyway, for any adults who want to visit Chuck E Cheese without kids but don't want to be put on some kind of a list, there's now Chuck's Arcade with multiple locations opening up in malls across America right now, catering to lifelong fans of the brand, old people, and it won't just feature new confusing video games like that, what was the dark game that, Jim? You were upsessed with? Dark? Long Dark, The Long Dark? Fuck that? How about that.
Speaker 3: Donkey King, Donkey King?
Speaker 1: It's weird the Donkey Kong.
Speaker 2: We would want to relive the arcade portion of Chuck E Cheese and not the concerts.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, well they will. They will have a cancer. They there will be animatronics that are like we've heard you. We're bringing back the The animatronics are going.
Speaker 2: To be aged up, you know, like like when you see like your favorite band from high school and they're all just kind of old and slower and down a key, just.
Speaker 3: Just moving a little bit slower. This is so fucking sad. So they're opening Chucky Cheese like lights for adults in dead mall spaces, Like it just feels like this weird capitalism zombie like infecting another host where it's like and then the Chucky Cheese thing came for the old Express or Limited two storefront space where people these pictures, Man, I feel so bad for even the actors and their promotional materials look like they can't be fucking bothered to have fun in this place, Like like the people look so young. This one guy's got a fedora and they're playing ski ball and you're like, oh, come on, buddy, this guy he's not even look he's playing What is this fucking tablet a table it's like glide air. Yeah, I've been out of it. I've been out of the arcade game.
Speaker 1: I called it. Donkey King Man. Yeah, like the is so funny.
Speaker 3: That sounds like a new Netflix show, like Tiger King, but like way lower stakes.
Speaker 2: That's the unlicensed ripoff of Donkey Kong, right right, yeah, Donkey Donkey king Ah yeah in the app store that steals your identity.
Speaker 1: Right right right right right? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I uh god, I just don't This just feels like such a like last minute gasp for Chuck e Cheese. Although hey, I know there's one in the Mall of Georgia in Beford, Georgia, and there's one definitely an Oklahoma city. So is that gang? I have you been to one? Is it popping?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I can't tell.
Speaker 1: I don't think I can recommend this. Yeah you can't. I don't think so.
Speaker 3: I mean, at least in a regular Chuck e Cheese, they have beer and you can watch like financially stretched out parents get into fist fights.
Speaker 1: Right yeah, Like, I mean, it just feels like so these are specifically not for children like that, that just feels like.
Speaker 2: They carting at the door with Yeah.
Speaker 3: Hold on, these are fakes. Beat it kid.
Speaker 1: There is Dave and Busters like that is a thing that happens there. There's like Dave and Busters is already a Chuck e Cheese that has a big bar in it, and like people are on dates there and it is a weird like cross section.
Speaker 2: They let kids in, right, so yeah, bonuses they have to not let kids in at all.
Speaker 1: Right, it's like children's birthday parties mixed with like people on first dates having like too much to drink.
Speaker 2: So Chuck e Cheese is now going to be a swinger's arcade.
Speaker 1: I mean the lighting is definitively bisexual lighting. Everything is like purple pur.
Speaker 2: Sanitize that ballpit every night, yeah, because we have to.
Speaker 3: I'm just like the crowd of people who are adults are like, man, I want to play video games, but I don't want any kids around. Are probably just playing video games at home. Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I'm not not all of the miles.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: I went to a year old workplace for one of my kids birthdays, ultrazone, Ultra Zone, and there was a guy who rolled up by himself, long jeworts, leather vest, leathered glove just a whole heap of the coins like they have their own like proprietary coins that the video games operate on. Jack posted up at one game that he really liked and was like getting so annoyed when kids would like come over and even like watch him play, and uh.
Speaker 3: Wow, they're fucking character a bit like it feels like a Tim Robinson character exactly. I know Brian that addressed the chatl and be like, was it DDR was a dance dance Revolution. No, it wasn't that the georts and the leather vest I go, oh, this motherfucking player DDR. I bet because we had so. I used to work at this laser tag place and there were the DDR adults who would come in on Friday nights and just fucking take over that section of the very narrow arcade at Ultra Zone, the Ultimate Laser Tag Venture.
Speaker 1: One of the best places for children's birthday parties. But yeah, this is they're basically like, what if we just cut off that entire stream of income, the main true have been come and instead assumed. I also don't even know if they have a bar here, like it doesn't know, it doesn't seem like they do they don't, which they don't, So it's chuck e Cheese. It's for adults without alcohol, whereas the Chucky Cheese that's not for adults does have alcohol.
Speaker 2: I feel exactly you're leaving a vacuum for a hardcore drug dealers to fill at this adult.
Speaker 3: Right just right there arcade.
Speaker 1: You've got to get the hard stuff if I sold, I know right, that's right.
Speaker 3: Right right exactly, like you know, it'll make this shitty tiny arcade even better, or some psychedelics to fill you with absolute dread when they hit.
Speaker 1: This has to be on like a top ten list of like worse places to be on psychedelics. It's like an arcade.
Speaker 3: Oh the memories that would come rushing to you to be in a dead mall and have like a Chucky cheese.
Speaker 1: And just as of the people who are there, like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh no, no.
Speaker 1: Just any games that you witnessed at Chuck's arcade might kill you, Like it might just be if he runs like Alyx like you might just be like, I can't live anymore. This is too bad.
Speaker 2: We're just sitting in one of those games where you like hold the gun and you're hunting aliens or something, and then it's like stereo sounds, people screaming at you and zombies coming towards you. Yeah, overwhelming.
Speaker 3: Oh I would try to do that.
Speaker 2: I would absolutely try it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just have a like a sober buddy like to get you out. It starts go like, come on, Jim, come on, Jim, come on, Jim, let's go.
Speaker 1: We've got an extraction situation.
Speaker 2: Let's play some ski ball and bring you down.
Speaker 1: You mean skull ball. They're all skulls I'm.
Speaker 3: Holding Okay, shit, all right, let's go to it's.
Speaker 2: What you're playing, whack a mole, and it's just like all your high school bullies and people you were mean to you through your whole life.
Speaker 1: It's Scott again. God damn you. I feel like I could go either way on like being on mushrooms and playing ski ball. I might just like have incredible touch, or I might like not even be able to get it up the alley, you know, just can't get it there so weak. Oh god, well, Jim, two's what a pleasure having you on the dailies. Where can people find you? Follow you? See your special all that good.
Speaker 2: Stuff specials up on YouTube? You could subscribe to me there at Jim Two's Jim T. E ws And that's all. My social media is at Gym two's as well. So Instagram and YouTube is one of the most active.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, man, And is there a work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 2: I just watched the Minecraft movie last weekend. A Minecraft movie, Minecraft movie.
Speaker 1: I also watched it last weekend.
Speaker 2: I thought it was great.
Speaker 1: It was fun.
Speaker 2: I never I've never played Minecraft, but uh, I really liked that movie. You know, I know it's for eleven year old boys, but I am an eleven year old boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah at heart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Momoa. Momoa's character fun just he plays a good loser. Yeah, it was a big hit with my children, and I was along for the ride. Jack Black is a delight And then we watched School of Rock. Has become like my kid's favorite musician besides I.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jack Black performances, So what if he's on drugs the whole time? You can explain it to your.
Speaker 1: Kids, That's right. They do ask why people do drugs. They have been asking me why do people do drugs? Why do people drink alcohol?
Speaker 3: The real question is why don't you man?
Speaker 1: You'll know soon enough. Yeah, exactly, Yeah, because real Miles. Where can people find you? Is there a workimedia you've been enjoying?
Speaker 3: Yeah, find me fucking everywhere at Miles of Gray. Check out the last episode of Miles and Jack op Battens Boost He's ever That was last week. And also if you want to hear you talking about ninety day Fiance, catch me on four to twenty day Fiance. Some works of media like past guest friend of the show Josh Gondleman at Josh Gondleman b Skida social post it It's fun how every hotel room has a bunch of lights that don't make it any brighter. Yes, someone who's all these fucking switches for what? For fucking what? And then another one was I mentioned this piece by that was in It was an opinion piece in The Guardian by v formerly eve Ensler, just talking about just living in the US right now and how the just the energetically it feels like absolute poison. But I just want to read this little paragraph that my dad send this to me, like he's like, this is actually a pretty good moment. But I think this is just important quote to live. As Young said with two existing opposite thoughts at the same time, survival right now depends on our ability to swim in this duality, to not linger in the pain, but to allow ourselves to be moved by it, to not whitewash reality, but also not to take up lodging in the house of despair. This is the dance of our times. We must become agile and flexible, to feel responsible, but not so guilty. We are immobilized to feel rage, but to learn how to direct it into action and passion and purpose, to lift ourselves to a more existential, absurdist place where the fascists cannot touch us. Not a disassociation or numbness, but the but finding the grace, energy and humor that come when we commit ourselves more deeply to one another. And I just thought that was very poignant right now to to sort of hear that Young.
Speaker 1: Just appared to.
Speaker 3: Look, you're the you're the philosophy expert. But maybe this idea of being able to live No, Steve Jack, Steve Steve.
Speaker 1: Young, all right, my favorite philosopher. No, that's that's that's an amazing quote. That's awesome work, Amedia. I've been enjoying on Twitter. So Danny at Beyonce Garden tweeted, y'all, my brother just woke up from a fifteen year coma crime face and slick at Nick's still here tweeted, tell him, bron still doing it. I've seen that happen elsewhere. I've seen anytime someone wakes up from a code that is the piece of news that everybody urges them to. I feel like that would be if I was just waking up from a fifteen year coma. I feel like that would be the wildest I mean that probably not the wildest, but the best news, the biggest good news. Yeah, yeah, exactly, Like, wait, what the fuck do you mean? Like, how's that possible? How's that even possible? Anyways? You can find me on Twitter at jack Underscore Brian. You can find me on Blue Sky at Jack o b the Number One. You can find us on Twitter and Blue Sky at Daily szeikes where at the Daily Zekeist on Instagram, you can go to the description of the episode where you're listening to it and find the footnotes, which is where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode. We also link off to a song there that we think you might enjoy. Miles, is there a song that you think that people might enjoy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is a really nice bouncy sort of like new R and B alt R and B track. It's called Rosie r O s I E. Great name, uh and it's by the band figmore f I G M O R E. Again, just some nice music to have you feeling light and joyful, because yeah, let's just use music for that. It's good fuel for joy. So so m vibe all right.
Speaker 1: We will link off to that in the footnote. The Daily Zs is a production by Heart Radio. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast or wherever you listen to your favorite shows, that's gonna do it for us this week. We are back on Monday to tell you what was trending over this July fourth weekend, and we will talk to you all then bye.
Speaker 3: The Daily Zeit Guys is executive produced by Catherine Law, co produced by ba Way.
Speaker 1: Co produced by Victor Wright, co written by j M McNab, and edited and engineered by Brian Jeffries eight