Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Happy Hanukkah, Merry Belated Christmas, Covino and Rich. This hour brought to you by tire rack dot com, the official tire expert and retailer of the Dan Patrick Show. Go to tyrack dot com slash Dan try the tire decision guy. I see the full line of Michelin tires special offers, free road hazard protection and mobile tire installation. Tirack dot Com tire Rack the way tire buying should be.
Speaker 3: Now this is our last hour Power Hour. I just made that up. You like that? Our last hour Power Hour?
Speaker 2: Last call hit us up eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. Last hour of the Dan Patrick Day three Holiday hat trick. If you missed any of our show, search Covino and Rich wherever you stream. In fact, just search it anyway, follow rate and review because we do this every day five to seven on the East Monday through Friday, and two to four on the West side. But just search Covino and Rich. See and O just a kid from Union, New Jersey on the lebron of the show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, too big when.
Speaker 2: It matters, Always thought about you. Covino, the Lebron of the show. But I was I usually think about the hairline. That's usually what I'm thinking. Hey, I thought our last conversation had a little more juice to be squeezed out of it. So if you want to chime in at Covin and Riche later on what quarterback being that today was the release of Squid Game two? What quarterback if your life was on the line, what current quarterback would you put the ball in the hands of? And my thought was, you can't include Mahomes in this conversation because he would be ninety five out of one hundred.
Speaker 3: People's answer, stop giving us rules. Yeah, Rich's rules at.
Speaker 2: Kobino and Rich at Fox Sports Radio on social media, and we move on because every Thursday on our show we bring it to you. On Dan Patrick, we do a little old school win fifty hits, an old school throwback Thursday sort of conversation, and today we sell it. Lars from Metallica now Metallica formed in La October late October nineteen eighty one. Lars and James Hetfield original members, along with Dave Mustaine from Mega Death Fame.
Speaker 3: Good Morning Me, It's me again.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dave Mustaine, Big fan of Covino, that rich guy.
Speaker 3: I'm not too sure of.
Speaker 2: Dave Mustaine and Ron McGovney and as you know, Kirk Hammitt and Rob Truheo the members now of Metallica, but they transcend generations. They've been doing it since the early eighties. Hit it big in the nineties. Like I said, the Black Album sold more albums than Nirvana never mind, but when you think nineties rock, you think Nirvana Black Album legendary.
Speaker 3: A lot of people like the old stuff. I mean. Point is, Lars has been doing this for a long ass time.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Today's sixty first birthday, and every year the same conversation comes up.
Speaker 3: Metallica come on halftime Super Bowl.
Speaker 2: They are one of the few rock bands that could translate on that main stage that I wouldn't be shocked if before all was said and done and we're run out of time, they're not getting any younger. Get Metallica out there. If you're a rock fan, I'm sure that would be something you would want. But here's the question. You see Lars, you see Metallica. Many that see them do shows still say they got it. They do and they've been doing Look kill them all to put it in perspective, came out in eighty three, it's gonna be twenty twenty five, forty plus years ago. Who is standing the test of time? What athlete, what musician? What actor? Who hasn't lost a step? And I'm not gonna intentionally try to throw many people under the bus, But when you think about the flip side, just recently, a guy that I still think has guests in the tank, Bob Costas, removed himself from baseball play by play Begaucy.
Speaker 3: He's like, yeah, it's just not for me anymore.
Speaker 2: Letterman was wise to know a daily late night talk show not for me, And he's doing great now with his Netflix special that he does every so often where he'll do a couple of fun interviews. But knowing when to walk away is a skill in itself. But who still has the juice? One person comes to mind for me, Canvi? You know in the music world, and I know it's a fact because I don't even really care for this performer, but they haven't missed a beat. You're in New Jersey right now, so people in your home state will be disgusted by me saying I don't even love this guy.
Speaker 3: Bruce Springsteen.
Speaker 2: I know, dude, I'm more of a bon Jovy guy if we're gonna talk Jersey bands. But you're right, he's a legend, I mean, and he's still in shape. I saw a picture of him where he looks more like Witty Allen than Woody Allen. Looks like Woody Allen. Have you seen that one?
Speaker 4: I have.
Speaker 3: But he's still ripped and he still puts on a performance.
Speaker 2: I mean, listen, I'm an East Coast guy, even though I live out here in LA. I'm more of a like I said, bon Jovi or Billy Joel or certain But Billy Joel's got it, still brings it on stage. But I'm picturing Billy Joel uptown girl in the eighties with hair, and he's dancing around. Now Billy Joel limps around the stage with a bed knee. Hey, he could still play the piano. He's the freaking piano man. But Billy Joel's not an answer in this conversation. But I saw Bruce Springsteen at a small venue show a couple of years back.
Speaker 3: Spot you were there, serious XM.
Speaker 2: He's crowdsurfing, jumping around the stage, and I'm pretty sure how old is Bruce Springsteen sick looked at us. He is, He's one hundred and sixty three. He really is still able to deliver. So my number one answer in the music world might be Bruce Springstome he still hit those Thoughes seventy five seven.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I love you. Wow.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine your dad crowdsurfing and jumping like on a he climbed levels at the Apollo Theater.
Speaker 3: Yeah, clism.
Speaker 2: They're amazed that he still has that energy level to perform that way and he's still in shape. So you know which, that's a great, great answer as far as again, we're celebrating longevity in the world of sports and entertainment. So the numbers eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox if you want to get involved here on the Cavino and Rich Show, you think he could hit that?
Speaker 3: You think you hit that? Dude, I think you could.
Speaker 2: You know what, here's a good question, Danny, I want you to think of this angle too. We're talking a lot of music. What about coaches. Sometimes a coach's style sort of expires, expires. Yeah, like he may connect with the players and now you're like, no, no, your style.
Speaker 5: Does us story You almost have to be a jolly, lovable coach like Andy Reid.
Speaker 3: He stand the test.
Speaker 2: He's the oldest coach in the NFL, and he's on the top of his game on a fifteen to one team. But a lot of times you'll be like, nah, some of these young, thirty eight to forty something year old NFL coaches might connect more. And you know, many would argue that's why Belichick couldn't find the job in the NFL real quick, because people are like, yo, you're a legend. Six super Bowls, you and Tom Brady. But yeah, that was then. This is now, and you may want to McVeigh or you know, a Kyle Kyle Shanahan type or some younger, different type of thinker.
Speaker 5: I'll give you, guys, a rapper who is so beloved that he became a really good actor and still wraps up to par with eminem On Murder Gram on his new album The Force, produced by Q tip ll Cool Jay on the scene in nineteen eighty four Crush Groove, famous movie you guys know well from the East Coast, Yeah, eighty five, And he reinvented himself so many times musically and obviously acted in movies and TV shows, and you know, you think of the police TV shows and there's Ll cool Jay's mug. But his fourteenth studio album was released in September and it still hits the way youngster's music hits right now, like he has not fallen off whatsoever. So as far as longevity in the hip hop world, ll cool J stands right on top.
Speaker 2: Who's holding up is the question? I love that answer so much, Danny G. I wish I came up with it. I think that's a great answer, and I think part of it has to do with looking the part too. I give a lot of the credit not only to you know, his skill level and his commitment, but how great he still looks and how he stays in shape. That has a lot to do with it because it makes him still relevant in my mind, Like Ll cool J still looks the part, and he's been doing it since the eighties. Guys, and let me tie this to sports real quick. Ladies love cool James. Of course, you love him as an actor, like DANYG said, but he's one of your favorite football movies nineteen ninety nine, any given Sunday, Right as an actor, But what's the term that we use all the time in sports.
Speaker 3: Goat, right, the goat. If I'm not mistaken, he is. He's credited.
Speaker 2: It is sometimes, you know, in some circles he's credited. You mentioned his what thirteen fourteen albums in that long Jelly Yeay.
Speaker 3: His fourteenth album dropped in September in two thousand. He came out with the Goat.
Speaker 2: Now, remember Rich, Prior to that, we always use the goat as like a term to describe a curse or the mush. He's the goat based on the curve of the billy goat from the cups right like the goat, oh man, like that was a bad thing. The goat became a good thing when llll Cooljay came out with the Goat the greatest of all time, and that sort of changed how we even use the term. I love that answer, and again I think looking the part gives him a lot of longevity. My answer that the first thing that came to mind, and because it's fresh on my mind when you think of longevity, because Lars turned sixty one, they've been doing it since eighty something. Metallica. His birthday was yesterday. He just passed away at sixty five. Ricky Anderson, dude, because it's fresh on my mind. We're talking about Ricky Henderson last week. You look at the back of a baseball card, You're like, dang, dude, this dude played twenty five years in the big leagues and then he played like years after in the minor leagues. And then Danny g said something that felt weird when he said it, but then I understood what he meant.
Speaker 3: He was like, yeah, man, I feel like he wasn't playing that long ago.
Speaker 2: And it's because you know, when you look and think about it, it wasn't that long ago.
Speaker 3: He was playing with the Mets and the Dodgers, Like, it wasn't that long ago. I mean, he didn't stand the test of time.
Speaker 2: Coming know, he died the other day and he hasn't been playing for hot longevity. Yeah the game, dude, he played over twenty five. Yeah, he may have died a little too soon, but he had longevity.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: His career longevity, yeah was off the arts. He was off the charts, all right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sorry he passed away, But as far as career longevity, man, that dude brought it, and it's just fresh on my mind. His birthday was yesterday. I was just looking at it. How many years he played? If you get dude, if he gets sixteen fifteen years out of somebody professionally, now you're like, whoa, he did twenty five and then if you count his minor league years like more than that, it's pretty wildly you just don't see that anymore. So anyway, I came to mind, but if you because he passed away at those change things. But I was talking professionally. Yeah, you know Mark scott One, what's that Mark?
Speaker 7: I know he's about to retire from concerts and he is the goat in my mind.
Speaker 3: Elton John still the one of the greatest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he performed until the guy's losing his eyesight. I saw his last play at Dodger Stadium, and you know, he's an older dude, but it's wild when you see people will still come out to see Elton John.
Speaker 3: He has a Christmas swag with Ed Sheeran a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: He sort of reinvented himself with Dua Lipa and Britney Spears releasing stuff a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: So Elton John, I think because of that crazy longevity. Yeah, the fact that he was able to do that.
Speaker 2: The fact that he really you know, remix some of his songs with some of some younger female artists. I think they gave him that feather in his cap where he had like number one songs in all these different decades.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: His debut album, Empty Sky, I think came out in sixty nine, dude, and he's still sixty now. That might be that might be a top like technical answer there, based on like he was putting out songs that charted from the sixties till recently. Yeah, but you know what you see how it's not easy because even a guy like Steven Tyler recently is calling the uh you know, colling quits in the performing side of things, right, yeah, Steven Tyler, you forget tired, you forget dream On was like fifty years ago, and they were making songs for soundtracks and our you know, in our childhood in the nineties two thousand so so again, longevity artists, athletes who stood the test of time. I got a I got give me this is there an age limit for you, meaning it's someone too young where you're like, dude, they're still sort of young. Hmmm, Because like I look at it, I look at a guy. Some would say, I look at a guy every day that looks like this guy, Steve Cavino, Mario Lopez. As much as there's times where you're look at me, like, yeah, Mario Lopez, ac slider on punch this guy in the nose. He is in probably better shape than he's ever been. He's always working on something. You look around mariy O Lopez, always on TV hosting something, and if you follow him on social media, seems like he's really good dad.
Speaker 3: It's like he's always dancing with this He's.
Speaker 2: Always dancing with his kids, and I'm like, yo, Mario Lopez, Like he's one of those guys. I'm like, is he as as big now as he was for Saved by the ballot?
Speaker 3: Everywhere?
Speaker 2: He's in the boxing scene. I saw him ringside at the Fury Ushing fight. He's in Saudi Arabia, He's got his boxing podcast with Steve Ordolay Kim. Look, I think that's a great I really think that's a great answer. I loved everybody's answers so far, so don't let us down, Fox Sports Radio Nation.
Speaker 3: Those are some great answers.
Speaker 2: I may even had the worst answer because Ricky Anderson died, but I was talking career lunch. Yeah, I mean, I'm not talking a career lunch. I mean I'm saying, like this person. I mean, I hate to say it, but I think the answer to the person should be alive.
Speaker 3: Like there.
Speaker 2: You watch them now and yeah, they may not be who they were, but they're still delivering.
Speaker 3: I have one last controversial one. Not controversial, that's the wrong word.
Speaker 2: I have one that you might not agree with, but I still think and a lot of people will be like, no, not anymore. I still hear al Michael's voice and it feels like a big game to me. I know, people say he's lazy, and his presentation is a little lackluster, and sometimes his call seems a little unenthusiastic. But I just think his voice alone still makes me feel like it's important. When I hear Al Michael's voice, it feels important to me. Danny, the later days of Vince Scully, you probably felt the same way. He wasn't the same guy, I'd imagine, but hearing his voice made it feel big.
Speaker 3: There was nothing like it. Let's go to Tim in Michigan.
Speaker 2: Kavino will go to all the phone calls what do you think longevity? It's large his birthday, what artists ends the test of time?
Speaker 4: Great show, guys.
Speaker 6: You guys are the best chill in for the DP show.
Speaker 3: Thanks man.
Speaker 6: I hope you guys get the job when he retires.
Speaker 3: I hope so too.
Speaker 8: Kind of going across the tracks here, but I can't believe she's been stealing this crap for forty years.
Speaker 6: And still doing it, Whoopie.
Speaker 2: You know what, as much as I as much as I think The View might be the most unwatchable show on planet Earth, Whoopee is in the spotlight and has never really gone away. So you got a credit Whoopy Goldberg for that, right. I mean it's not easy to stay relevant for decades.
Speaker 3: Doing it since sister act.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I think, uh it's a great answer even before that. Yeah, she's been out forever, dude. That's uh yeah, her and Robin Williams and Billy Crystal. I feel like I always picture then together, right, Yeah, comic relief. Yeah, that's it. Yeah, that's what it was. Uh, Travis at La, what's up?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 3: Can you no?
Speaker 4: Rich?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: You know, Steve, the reason I don't think you could have Metallica on the halftime show is you don't want to hear thirty seconds you know they do those Metalis. You don't want to hear thirty seconds of the Metallica song.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't even get to killer solos or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there'll be too many, not enough. Ooh yeah, like you need you know, you need some of those.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but even if they did three strong songs, that would still be amazing Decidon you know.
Speaker 2: The fun fact though, The fun fact is if they were asked, it's impossible for James Field to say no, oh yeah. So if jay Z asked him, like, yeah, would you do this, James is only capable of saying, yeah, yeah, show yourself out. Honestly, if you were to do a Metallica halftime show, enter Sam Man Fuel what else?
Speaker 3: Dude?
Speaker 2: They got songs ford, but like, what's the mainstream ones where you can make the argument that, like your mom would know the songs?
Speaker 3: Nothing else matter?
Speaker 2: But true wherever I may roam, the unforgiven one.
Speaker 3: Like, I mean, it goes on even the casual fan with no all.
Speaker 2: But in Austin, what artist, announcer, athlete, who do you credit to having a great longevity?
Speaker 6: Oh you guys, are great. I love listen to all thanks Manu.
Speaker 3: What longevity.
Speaker 6: Look, they're on tour right now and you got to keep your numbers up and appeal to almost everybody. Sticks an re e O.
Speaker 2: You know, I actually have a relative that's a big Sticks fan and they swear that they still deliver on a high level. Listen if if a retro act is still touring and still filling up. See but look that's that may be a great answer to him, but we have to be real about it.
Speaker 3: I don't know. There's the difference between the.
Speaker 2: Elton John answer that Mark gave us and that one is like Elton John still still made relevant music up until recently.
Speaker 3: I mean, I do love and I can't fight this anymore. Song's great.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to stilling, but when's the last time they made a song that anyone cared about? That's that's the only difference. And I'm only saying that for technicality coality reasons. No, you're right, they're probably still great. I'm not going to deny that longevity. Would you say that? From his college days to his NBA days to where he is now in life, Shaquille O'Neal has done a great job of staying in our.
Speaker 3: In our face room Umber, what answer. I mean, he has done a fantastic job.
Speaker 7: I got a podcast it's called not only Culture called Shack Blackfee.
Speaker 3: Shack Blackafe Oh Club Shohack.
Speaker 5: Standing in line at CVS the other day. I sent you guys the photo. He has his own line of sour Gummy candies.
Speaker 3: Now Sour Gummy Candies. Reinvented myself higher commercials, a TV show.
Speaker 2: Shack the world from the minute you saw him from the from LSU till now, Shaquille O'Neal has stayed in our in our vision or slightly in your peripheral.
Speaker 3: He is always I'm one hundred and fifty years old, So I mean we've know, we've know, we have known. I'm being serious. We have no longer actor. We have known Shack, and we've got to meet Shack and it's a true pleasure.
Speaker 7: He's a great love Shack Love Shock B fifty two is about me sing about me. Love Baby Shack is love Shack. Shack has been in our life thirty plus years. And if you know, if you want to see something funny, google Covino and Rich. Go to YouTube and search Covino and Rich Shack. There's a video and it's one of my favorite moments. I'm not I'm not patting myself on the back, but it really was awesome.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. My own radio station called Radio shack I Radio.
Speaker 2: There's a video of Shaq and myself singing white guy Favorites and it's like Journey and all like cheesy and Shacks that you're guy favorites with you very funny video.
Speaker 3: Just find that. But you know I did that because you're the whitest guy I've ever seen. Let's go to Note Baker in Illinois. What's up, buddy?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 4: Speaking of Lars and Metallica, I've seen him four times in the last fifteen months. And those guys are all four of them over sixty years old, and they are still kicking my ass every time I go crazy. So you've got to go see him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, I don't.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's always something you want to say, because you know, when you think of yourself, you're like, oh, I don't I don't want to get older. I'm convinced though, that what used to be forty, what used to be fifty or sixty? What you used to consider getting older. Older is just changing so much. Where I think of my grandparents, Well, my grandparents were in their sixties and seventies, I felt like they look like they were fresh out of the Revolutionary Wars.
Speaker 3: Seriously, it's a different time. Like my grandmother wore a moomoo. My grandfather fought in wars who was a mechanic, Like that was a hard and.
Speaker 2: Your grandpa's ear loves were down to his shoulders, Yeah, it was like they were. My grandfather was like missing a finger because his brother cut it off. And they were kids, like they lived a wild hard war depression. Like I said, my grandparents died in their early seventies, I feel like they were one hundred and seventy. I see our parents now that are roughly seventy, and they're like going on cruises, living life, retired, wearing like clothes they bought in the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: Like it's just a different world. So when I hear some of.
Speaker 2: These artists still rocking it on stage at sixty, or athletes that are playing into their mid forties, now, I really do think.
Speaker 3: It is different now.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's because we're aging, Like man, I think I look better than most forty somethings. I really do think if you look at a picture of yourself compared to your parents, you do look younger. Well, let's wrap it up with your phone calls next or hit us up at Covino and rich Athletic Sports Radio as we celebrate Lars's sixty first birthday.
Speaker 3: Again. Metallic is still in the conversation.
Speaker 2: They put their last album out in twenty twenty three, seventy two seasons, a tour with Pantera and Limp Biscuit Nice nine kills in April, so they're still bringing it.
Speaker 3: Who else stands to test the time when it comes to longevity?
Speaker 2: All right, Hey, Covino and rich in for the great Dan Patrick, and you know, when we get back, I have one that I can't believe you haven't mentioned. So we're talking about artist, athletes, people that stay in the test of time. We'll get to that, plus your favorite highlights. The most salacious, wild stories in the world of sports twenty twenty four is on deck, So hang tight.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Hey Steve Covino and I'm Rich Davis and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: We talk about everything, life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich Live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media.
Speaker 3: That's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Hey is Covino and Rich live from the Mercedes Benz Studios. Remember everything at Covino and Rich. You can see our Mike tyson Yule log. You can follow our adventures, My Jersey adventures, Rich Davis everything at Covino and Rich. Happy Holidays. I'm Steve Covino. That is Rich Davis, and we're celebrating Metallica and Rich before we get to the phones at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox again in for Dan Patrick, Day three of the hat Trick, the Holiday hat Trick. Can I give myself a totally shameful plug?
Speaker 3: Sure? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: I play Metallica every night on Sirius XM Turbo forty one and every weekend on Ozzie's Bonyard Serius six M thirty eight Old school Metallica.
Speaker 3: So I'm a huge Metallica fan.
Speaker 2: Happy sixty first to Lars based on Lars's birthday.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: They have a tour kicking off in April with Limp, Biscuit, Ice, Nine Kills, and Pantera. They have a new album out As of last year, there's always talks of them performing at a halftime show. You gotta think of their longevity. They've been doing it since the early eighties. Now based on that, who comes to mind as far as artists and entertainers.
Speaker 3: Athletes with longevity. I have to bring this up before we go to the phones.
Speaker 2: I know you said you had a great answer, but dude, after that performance yesterday, we have to bring Lebron James at least into the conversation.
Speaker 3: I think. I think you'll say, Beyonce.
Speaker 2: No, Lebron twenty one seasons made his debut in two thousand and three, a year before you and I started our radio show. So twenty one seasons in the NBA still putting up what he put up thirty one points yesterday for that win Christmas Day. So Lebron James has to be in that longevity conversation. I mean, all right, that's that's why some of the greats of our lifetime are just that. Like, I think it's funny that while he is now in the broadcast booth and still in our face every day, Tom Brady looks better now than he did as a youngster. Like I hate to say that because it sounds like we're bringing vanity into it, but it's so true. I think it's part of the formula. You still have to look somewhat the part. If you look like old man Winter, how relevant could you possibly be? You know as a well, I mean, I guess you could. I'm not saying James Hetfield and Lars are you know, looking stellar, but their music still sounds good. So a lot of a lot of the eighties rock stars end up looking like old ladies.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know, I do think the look plays a big part in it. Though dude looks like a lady. My answer song is a premonition.
Speaker 2: My answer is one of your favorite artists in the world of music, and it's disgusting that the guy has abs at his age.
Speaker 3: Lenny Kravitz is like.
Speaker 2: Ridiculously in shape, relevant, living a life of a man like half his age. His abs are ridiculous. It's kind of gross actually, And I'm doing a quick search right now.
Speaker 3: How old do you think he is? Lenny Kravitz gotta be fifty something, was.
Speaker 2: Sixty years old nineteen sixty four, and I believe Let Love Rule came out like eighty nine to ninety or so, so clearly vity you get the message, They'll go rapid fire through the phones and we'll talk a little more NFL.
Speaker 3: The wildest sports stories of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we'll get to that, but after we talked to these folks. Mike in Alaska kick it off. See it r in for Dan Patrick?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 6: Yeah, m carding guys after school. I'm a school teacher, so early morning here, so he's more coffee. But I've got three rapid fire for you. Bob Dylan music wise, definitely Betty White. She was still alive. She transd It's like crazy. And then also, even though it's kind of older Sparky Anderson baseball sparky.
Speaker 2: You can say Jim Leland peaked later too, like Jim Leema was an old ass manager winning. So that Betty White until the day she died, was maybe more love than she was in her younger acting days. Hey, Rich, can I throw two random things out there too? I know we're going to the phones, but yesterday was Christmas. You don't say I saw it? Did gymnastics set up in my living room for my daughter? Reminds me that yes, it's the holidays, I know, right, And I'm like, where's that going? It goes, says A Wonderful life nineteen forty six, and it's still a holiday class and it's still great. Jimmy Stewart nineteen forty six. I'll throw back to the Future into the conversation too. As far as longevity and standing the test of time, you know, the classics never really die, guys, that's the thing. And you have to give it up to certain movies, certain movies like like if you watch Gremlins now, which people consider a Christmas movie, Kremlin sucks.
Speaker 3: Okay, back to the Future still kicks ass. Well.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of TV shows from your childhood that you'd be sadly disappointed if you watched.
Speaker 3: Like I recently.
Speaker 2: Was traveling and I for some reason on my phone, I was like, oh, look, I found old episodes of some shows Perfect Strangers.
Speaker 3: Which I thought was hilarious as a young boy.
Speaker 2: They don't age well, don't be ridiculous, stunk family matters with Erkele stinks. These are all terrible, but you know it doesn't stink, married with children, Golden Girls. There's certain shows that stood the test of time, and we're talking about you translate that into the world of sports. I think it is interesting when we brought up managers and coaches before. There are some coaches that their style plays themselves out of the game. It's like, yeah, that's you know, your old news now and other people justin adapt. Let's go to keV in Ohio. It's up Kevin.
Speaker 6: Hey, how's it going, guys?
Speaker 3: What's up? Two?
Speaker 6: I've got a quarterback for you.
Speaker 3: Joseph Leeburrow.
Speaker 6: I take care of my life was on the line.
Speaker 8: I like that answer, and uh, lucky day in Selander.
Speaker 6: I mean there's still performed Steve Martin and Martin Short, they're still going.
Speaker 3: Great answer.
Speaker 2: But Rich loves their recent show too, Only Murders fantastic.
Speaker 3: Deanna Martin Short just host SNL. Yes, so it was a great documentary on Steve Martin. I watched it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was good man. You're right, these guys have been doing it since our parents were young. You know what meme always makes me laugh, The meme of Steve Martin and is it Dane from Father of the Bride? Yeah, yes, And it's like, this is what forty year olds looked like in the nineties. Dal look like she wore like an old lady dress and he had like a full head of like white hair and true.
Speaker 3: We thought Steve Martin was eighty in the in the eighties, right, the father of the.
Speaker 2: Bride, Steve Martin and dian Keina are supposed to be in their early forties.
Speaker 3: That seems ridiculous. Honestly, I think that's a really great answer. These guys are still doing it.
Speaker 2: I mean, and they have a hit show with Selena Gomez, so I mean, still relevant, still doing it.
Speaker 3: Props to them. All Right, what's up Dan in Washington State? What's up, Danny?
Speaker 4: I've got a controversial one, but President lack Donald Trump's been in the in the spotlight forever.
Speaker 2: That's a great answer. Love him or hate him. Donald Trump was a cultural guy, a cultural image. But in the world of sports, when you're watching random things, you're seeing him, like signing football players because he was the owner of the New Jersey Generals in the early eighties.
Speaker 3: It was a cultural before he was a politician. You gotta remember.
Speaker 2: So he's always He was in one of your favorite Christmas classics, Rich I saw him yesterday in Home Alone too, Lost in New York, and.
Speaker 5: You know who did Rapper always? Rapper is always reference. If they were talking about having a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump so whether he was loved or hated or both. Donald Trump's been in your in your life for a long. Pop culture relevance, Yeah, pop culture relevance. He'd be on Howard Stern, he would go on Oprah. Uh, The Apprentice was in number one show. So yeah, Donald Trump has the moves are relatively new. I don't remember those dance moves in Donald Trump The Dancer. That's no, but no, think about it. I was watching the Vince McMahon documentary on Netflix, mister McMahon, and you forget that Donald Trump was shaving his uh McMahon's head. He was in wrestling, like you know.
Speaker 5: I got a quick one, Rich And I'm surprised we didn't talk about this. You you talked a lot about him last week, Michael Jordan, because we were talking about maybe possible fixes for the NBA, and you said, attached Michael Jordan to like some sort of board to help inspire.
Speaker 2: The game in a down year. Attached Michael Jordan to anything. And it's relevant because he could. If you are a thirty five plus, most people you know think Michael Jordan could do no wrong, never did any wrong. People forget that he ever bumped into the Pistons or Celtics. They just assume he won every year. There's this like weird aura around the great Michael Jordan, the sneakers, the brand, everything where I brought up coving on that Michael Jordan, I said yesterday if Adam Silver said Michael Jordan's the new official consultant to the NBA, just that alone, like people be like, oh, yeah, they really want they really you know, they're they're going for it.
Speaker 3: I won Christmas yesterday. You know why? Good Jordan's. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I bought my nine year old nephew Jordan's Spizikes. They're like Jordan forst oh yeah, bizikes, the low casual red with the with the cement, and you would have thought I was the greatest uncle that ever was. Now this is a nine year old who was so pumped to be receiving Jordan's. Little kids little babies are still wearing dress.
Speaker 5: Oh yours relevant bought on Our fourteen year old got a card in the mail from her grandma and a fifty dollars bill was in there, and she said, I'm gonna buy some Jordan's and think about it. My wife said, no, you're not not for fifty great answer.
Speaker 2: But no, a great answer, dude, because you're you're right, still so culturally relevant when you see little kids being pumped about Jordan's.
Speaker 3: Uh, let's say hi to Mo and Tempi Mo. You're on with Kevin on Writch. Hey, morning guys, Thanks man.
Speaker 4: I don't know if anybody's brought this one up, But how about ice Cubes. I mean he's gone back, dude.
Speaker 2: When ice Cube came back to Dodger Stadium Mo during the playoffs in the World Series, he delivered. In fact, the whole joke was fat Joe could not live up to what ice Cube did for the Dodgers. Now, but just how he reinvented himself in the world of acting and music. I mean, yeah, that's a great answer, man.
Speaker 3: I mean even when what does that mean?
Speaker 2: The pitch on the left he's wearing a jersey holding a gun, and the pitch on the right he's in a like a canoe in a family movie. He's in a raft of their life vest On. Yeah, some sort of family movie, smiling, uh jacket la, what's up?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: You're all with CNR. Hey you guys, Yeah, Hey.
Speaker 6: How about Snoop Dogg as an entrepreneur rapper.
Speaker 2: Yo love that answer too, absolutely, man, him reinventing himself and just taking himself mainstream with Martha Stewart, like you said, his sneaker line with Sketchers now, like just everything he does is incredible, man. And and the longevity's insane. The fact that early nineties, the fact that Snoop Dogg is as you know, as the memes go, the guy that your parents were, you know, critical of you listening to his music as a kid.
Speaker 3: Now your mom's like.
Speaker 2: I love Snoop Dogg like you love Snoop Dogg, mom, Because I'm pretty pop on the stoop, I'm pretty sure you didn't love his music when I was a you know, a kid in the nineties.
Speaker 5: I don't like how he's letting the silver show up in his hair and goatee, like that makes us feel old.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you what color it, Danny. Let me give you a straight up thing that bothers me more than anything. I'm a white guy, you know this.
Speaker 3: I think I think that.
Speaker 2: Black dudes that have gray coming in have such an easier job covering it up because African American.
Speaker 3: Men have black hair.
Speaker 2: If you're if you're a white guy with brown hair, and you start dying your hair and it doesn't look right.
Speaker 3: You look like Robert Goulay. You look like a guy that does a terrible dye job. You look like Ruddy. You look like Rudy Giuliani with the with the you know, hair dye dripping down his head.
Speaker 2: When I when I see a cool black guy and he lets it go gray too soon, like Kevin Hart, has no business having gray hair.
Speaker 3: Kevin Hart's a hand show. Yeah, I'm I think. I think this is my message all my black friends.
Speaker 2: If you have gray coming in, you have such an easy do your job covering it up than a corny white.
Speaker 4: Guy like me.
Speaker 3: I like it. Trylick that answer, though, I do. I really do.
Speaker 2: Man wisdom and again, if you want to continue sharing, hit us up at Coveno and Rich and Rich. We got to wrap up with the wild sports Stories of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: Perfect what was your favorite story?
Speaker 2: Not like a series one, We're talking like the salacious, funny sports stories of twenty twenty five. We got a top five list. We do it next right here CNR in for the Great Dan Patrick.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show again. We're on Monday through Friday, five to seven on the East, two to four on the West. Covino and Rich Day three of the Dan Patrick Hatrick. Always a pleasure of filling in for Dan Patrick, the Great Dan Patrick. So thank you, DP Nation, Fox Sports Radio Nation, Happy Holidays, Happy Honikah, enjoy the grassy.
Speaker 3: Knoll, Happy Chanooka.
Speaker 2: He ain't quite of the holiday season. Yes, happy Chanooka. Smokey Robinson.
Speaker 6: So I just.
Speaker 2: Reposted that at Rich Davis on x Twitter. I'll do it on at covin No on Rich as well. If you don't know that clip, someone had Smokey Robinson do a cameo back in the day, wishing still funny, wishing people happy Honikah. I don't know what chanooka is, but happy Chanuoka, Happy Chanooka. I can let that babe. You know what it's like every fourth of July.
Speaker 3: Back it up.
Speaker 2: Terry still makes me laugh every Honukah. Smoky Robinson Chanooka makes I don't know what it is, but happy Chanuka.
Speaker 3: And don't forget Kwanza starts today. Haza Happy Everything. We're live from Mercedes Benz Studios.
Speaker 2: Remember to celebrate the journeys that bring us closer together with an exclusive offer on a vehicle you'll adore at Mercedes Benz Holiday Love Celebration going on now through January second. Learn more at nbusa dot com slash special offers. Now, we're gonna be back at our official time five to seven on the East January first, New Year's Day, but we're filling in for Colin Cowherd on the third, so make note of that again. Just search Covino and Rich on social media wherever you stream. We also have a bonus podcast called over Promised. You could hear it wherever you stream. You could watch it on Fox Sports Radios YouTube page. It's a bonus podcast because we can't fit all this fun into this show, and we did something called the Wild Sports Stories of twenty twenty four, but we want to break it down here for you guys. Yeah, no doubt. And by the way, I don't know what your plan is today. I'm gonna get home, you know, tell my wife, you know, filled in for Dan Patrick this morning.
Speaker 3: I need a little nap. I'm gonna go in the bedroom.
Speaker 2: I'm going to put on squid game or a movie or something and see how long I could go before my kids bothered me. How long do you think I could get till noon? No, nude, I was gonna say seven minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe, I was like, do you think I can buy a couple hours of me time? Come on?
Speaker 2: And then tonight, of course you got Seahawks Bears a game, Cavino. That'll just prove to me that my forty nine ers let that division slip through their fingers. The Rams are gonna end up winning the division easily. They may clinch it before the last week of the NFL, just showing that the Niners if they could get back on track next year. For all my friends in the Bay Area, the Niners will be just fine next year because the division is trash. Enjoy your Thursday night football and we are live right now. It's December twenty six. There's a lot of best ofs and replays and things like that, so we are live. Enjoy your foosball and enjoy our bonus podcast. Over promised again. It's on Fox Sports Radios YouTube page. Look it up and enjoy follow rate and review. The wildest sports stories of twenty twenty four are broken down like this by Us Cavino and Rich Number five Sho hey O Tani and Epe Misuhara and the whole gambling controversy that surrounded him. It's so wild because you have to remember how his season started and where it ended.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It started terribly in La with the Dodgers, with this whole scandal, and then he ends up being the MVP and winning the World Series. So again, Kavino's right, this is number five because of the beginning and the ending.
Speaker 3: Where did start? Where did it end?
Speaker 2: It started with you know, is he going to get suspended? Is he is he gambling? Is he doing Pete rose antics? Is he doing some hood rat stuff? What is Otani doing?
Speaker 3: It turns out he's not.
Speaker 2: How many how many people were were there to be like, oh dude, he's guilty, only to find out that he wasn't right, that he.
Speaker 3: Was backstaff exactly Number four.
Speaker 2: We said on our list, on our over Promised show, a lot of the sounds ridiculous, but all the junk at the Olympics, how people were fascinated by the pole vaulter who got his dingling stuck.
Speaker 3: On the bar.
Speaker 2: You mean Anthony Amaradi of France. Yeah, a lot of Olympic junk between the swimmers and the pole ball guy. Number three, the Cody Bellinger story. It's a current one, but him going to the Yankees but now playing with his now wife's ex boyfriend John Carlos Stanton. Yeah, and having to navigate playing every day besides the guy stand standing beside the guy that used to sleep with your wife. It's got to be an interesting adjustment. Number two it has to be when unk Shannon Sharp accidentally started streaming himself in the bedroom Oops, oopsies.
Speaker 3: That definitely was wild and he ran with that.
Speaker 2: And the number one the wildest story sports story of twenty twenty four because it spanned like nine months of our conversation in life is Tyson Jake Paul and everything that surrounded it?
Speaker 3: Was it real? Was it a fix? The ulcer?
Speaker 2: The postponement of the fight, the streaming, We debated is Netflix going to be able to stream this? Then it froze and it paused and the troubles we had the excitement of watching the fight. The ring Cardinals Sidney Sidney Thomas from Alabama. She became a star. I liked Rafaela Malagras, that's one of the other Ring Card girls. But I think that was definitely the number one pop culture sports story the whole year. Was really Jake Paul, Mike Tyson, and even Mike Tyson's butt cheeks made a cameo on Netflix exactly, and you could find that interview of us with Mike on Fox Sports Radios YouTube page and this show over promised Fox Sports Radios YouTube page.
Speaker 3: Perfect. Well, thank you guys, have a great grundle of a week. Enjoy.
Speaker 2: We'll see you guys back in the new year. I reave it there to you, baby, see you in a promise land, right,