Speaker 1: You can watch the original episode we'll be discussing in every other episode of HBO's Curby Your Enthusiasm, including the new and final season, on Max. You can also watch the video version of the history of Curby Your Enthusiasm podcast on Max and YouTube as well. Links available in the episode description. All Right, so we are at season five, episode five. Lewis needs a kidney And.
Speaker 2: Who are you?
Speaker 3: I'm Jeff Gartler.
Speaker 1: And I'm Susi Esma.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love this episode. You know, this episode is so simple.
Speaker 3: It's so so simple, and it's very special to me.
Speaker 1: And so eloquent.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite episodes to act.
Speaker 1: Then yes, and I can understand why. Yeah, and we'll get to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So we start out and Larry is calling Omar Jones, his private investigator, and his assistant or secretary says, all right, mister David, what's his call regarding.
Speaker 3: He'll know what it's about.
Speaker 1: I'm a client, got that, But what is the call regarding?
Speaker 2: You know, to be honest, it's kind of personal.
Speaker 1: I'm sure it is, but you can't speak with him until you tell me what his call is regarding.
Speaker 3: But it has nothing to do with you. It has to do with him.
Speaker 2: I don't really want to tell you what it's about.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you're gonna need to control your levels and telling me what his call is regarding.
Speaker 2: Do me favorite tell me the details of your last conversation.
Speaker 1: That's none of your business exactly, and that pisses Larry off to no end. And I don't blame him for that, you know, let me talk to the guy. It's not like it sees the president of the United States. What's this call regarding? And then he ends up hanging up and having a fight with her. Next we see he's locked his keys in his car and he takes out a little flip phone. I love the dating of everything that we do here. This is two thousand and five. And he calls you and tells you that he locked his phone his keys in the car. Will you come and rescue him, which you, of course say yes, of course I will, and you do. And he is going to get something to eat, a jack in the box, right, not something I ever pictured Larry eating, by the way, Well, no.
Speaker 3: It's for comedic purposes. And I remember we filmed this at I believe I'm Lobrea. There might be a jack in the box I've filmed it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to a Jack in the Box?
Speaker 3: Jeff, Oh, I'm most certainly. But can I just ask you something? Why do you ask a question that's so dumb? Now? Did I go to Jack the Box and a lot? No? There was one period where I had an office at Lebrea and Walsher, and right next to my office building was a Jack in the Box, and so during that period I frequented it quite often. Outside of there, I've maybe had Jack in the Box half a dozen times.
Speaker 4: So many times do you think I've had Jack in the Box?
Speaker 3: Well, I would put zero in the cab.
Speaker 1: You're right, You're absolutely right. Not that I'm a snob.
Speaker 3: A great Jack in the Box story. I'm not going to tell you the actor, but there was an actor I know who went into a voiceover audition for the commercial to be the voice of Jack in the Box. And so he does it. There's a lot of people there, and he goes in and he's he's doing it, he's doing it, and the guy from Jack in the Box keeps saying, that's not the voice I hear, that's not the voice I hear. So the voice of Jack in the Box now the big ping pong ball, whatever you have it. That's the guy who said it's not the voice I hear, So the guy from Jack in the Box. The voice he heard was his own voice in his own head, and he hired himself.
Speaker 1: There really you're giving me?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: I picture when you say Jack in the Box voice? I picture what was his name, Benji from Rudolph the Red Nose reins heer, Uh huh?
Speaker 3: You know the little guy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the little guy in the jacket.
Speaker 3: What's eating your boy? Not not happy in my work? I guess no, Well, what do you want to do? I want to be a dentist. You know Moelers and by cuspids. I have that whole thing memorized. I loved all the rank and Bad Christmas specials.
Speaker 1: They were great, great. Yeah, yeah, all right, so he could. So he's at Jacket Box and they're closed, and the only thing is the drive through is open. So he stands behind the cars and he walks up to the drive through and they won't serve him.
Speaker 2: Like two jumbo Jacks, French fries and a.
Speaker 3: Diet Coke.
Speaker 2: Car.
Speaker 3: No, what's the difference?
Speaker 2: What one second? Come on, I'm starving there's everything's closed.
Speaker 3: That is a real thing.
Speaker 1: Really? Oh that most certainly it's bizarre.
Speaker 3: Gimme. By the way, I've heard stories drunk people not larrying this always do that late at night. They walk and they walk in the space, or they've seen a line of cars and they cut in. No, it is and the there's a big sign at every I've been too many a drive through. I see that there's a big sign that says you must be in a car or something like that.
Speaker 4: But that's one of those rules that's stupid to me.
Speaker 1: No, it's not. Why why must you be Why can't you walk up?
Speaker 3: Because if they allow you to do that and something happens to you with another car, they all right.
Speaker 1: If it's a liability thing, I understand it is. So Larry goes to a couple of cars and ask if he can get it.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine why you'd think that's not a real rule. What's wrong with you?
Speaker 1: Well, because I think if you it's like if I walk up to the ATM in the drive through, I'm allowed.
Speaker 3: To use it in the drive through.
Speaker 1: Now, if you know the drive through ATM, you know.
Speaker 3: What, do me a favor? You break your laws, not me. God.
Speaker 1: Okay. So he finally comes up to a guy, and this guy Pete. He says, yeah, yeah, sure, get in the car and did they're eating?
Speaker 3: Who plays Pete?
Speaker 1: Frank Whaley, who's a terrific actor, wonderful and.
Speaker 3: He's a wonderful guy and I so enjoyed working with him.
Speaker 1: And you know, I mean, he's one of these guys that you see his face and you're just like, I've seen him in everything, you know, great roles, yeah.
Speaker 3: Great limited series on TV and also with so many great movies, like you know, he was a young guy actor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he's just a very familiar By the.
Speaker 3: Way, I'm going to trademark that term young.
Speaker 1: Guy actor, young guy actor.
Speaker 3: And now of all the actors walking around, I'm a young guy actor. It'll be a club.
Speaker 1: So he and Peter eating their fries and delicious, delicious, and then he says to Petz, so, so Pete, what kind of work do you do? And Pete, you know, is fumfering a little bit. He's I was in the dental field, uh, work closely with a dental hygienis for eight months. And what he's drawn to landscaping, you know, I assume that was all improvised.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course it was.
Speaker 1: And Larry sees some porn in his back seat and he says, it's not his, it's not his.
Speaker 4: And then all of a sudden, knock knockac you're at the window.
Speaker 3: You show up and I scare them.
Speaker 1: You scared them? Yes, And next we know you're in the back eating fries as well. Of course you are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, no, I'm meaning, I'm meaning actual sandwich. I don't know how that happened, or maybe they had an extra one.
Speaker 1: Can I ask a totally ignorant question, Yeah, what kind of food does Jack in the Is it a burger joint?
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's like burger king, but they probably have more of a selection than other places. I'll tell you why. Every time I see a Jack in the Box commercial, they're introducing a new product. Oh probably twelve new products a year. And I don't know if they eliminate other products or they're experimenting, but it's always a new try or new you know.
Speaker 1: I never see Jack in the Box commercials, which makes me think that it's a West Coast thing. I wonder if they're on the East coast. I don't think so.
Speaker 3: You know, when I spent time in Chicago or Florida when I was growing up, I think there was jack in them.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, we're gonna have to research that, and.
Speaker 3: You want to google it because I ain't googling it.
Speaker 1: Maybe later and then it is not going to happen.
Speaker 3: You don't really care.
Speaker 1: I don't care that much unless they want to be a sponsor. And then you tell Larry that you have some bad news for him, and that Richard Lewis is very sick and he needs a new kidney. Yes, and Larry says, is they're a donor and you say no, he needs to find a match. And you see Larry's face as just horrified. And is he horrified because he's worried about his friend? I don't think so.
Speaker 3: The look on his face tells you, am I going to have to give the kidney?
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly? And then we see him he's at Leo's Deli with Lewis, and Lewis is looking horrible. He's looking very sickly, which was all make up at that point.
Speaker 3: You know, after this season there and people ask me if Richard Lewis is really sick?
Speaker 1: I know me too, because whoever did his makeup? I assume it was Thomas job and yet gone, and his eyes looked all bloodshot and he doesn't have a donor and he's all upset about it.
Speaker 4: And then Larry asks him about his cousin, Lewis Lewis.
Speaker 1: Well, you ast us, Lewis Lewis, what do they say?
Speaker 5: He says he wants to donate all of his organs after he dies, but not a minute before.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Lewis Lewis.
Speaker 3: Doesn't help me any schmuck.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm going to have to get on that kidney list like everybody else. I mean, the only other option is if you know, you know, if a good friend or a buddy comes to then I'm then I'm golden.
Speaker 1: And Lewis Lewis that they established he's a nutcase and he works at a jack in the box go figure, and he does want to donate all of his organs, but not until after he's dead, not a minute before. I understand that, right, How do you feel about giving your kidney to somebody?
Speaker 3: If it's somebody I if you needed a kidney, no hesitation, how's that.
Speaker 1: One of your kids? Obviously you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I'm saying, even you, anyone who's close to me who would need a kidney and I'm a perfect.
Speaker 1: Match, you would do it.
Speaker 3: I would do it in the heartbeat. Yep, no way would.
Speaker 1: I Not so so Lewis just says he needs to get on the kidney list or if a buddy comes through.
Speaker 4: I know, dot dot dot.
Speaker 1: You know. Next we have we see Larry and Cheryl in bed. There's a lot of Larry and Cheryl in bed scenes. I've noticed, if.
Speaker 3: You a lot, yeah, this season, this season in particular.
Speaker 1: I think all the seasons, and Larry starts going through one of his Larry things.
Speaker 2: Next time there's any sign of anything wrong with any of my friends, if I think they're going to be going into the hospital or any sign of anything, I'm just I'm.
Speaker 3: Just gonna drop him like a hot potato.
Speaker 2: And you too, I mean, as soon as you get sick, I'm out.
Speaker 3: You know that.
Speaker 1: Well, No, I'm glad you're bringing it up. Well, I mean, come on, no, it's nice to know. Yeah, And I'm giving all I thought that that's what the whole deal was. It's one of the reasons you get.
Speaker 2: Married normally, that that is the deal. But we're losing the sickness and health clothes. I'm out if anything's wrong with you, and then I look same for you. You go to okay, okay, I can't be.
Speaker 3: Around illness, but for now it frets me out.
Speaker 1: Okay, and Cheryl kind of talks him into taking the test, that it's a nice gesture and that he should at least take the test.
Speaker 3: Now at this point in my life, fuck gestures. Either you're doing something or you're not doing something. Gestures can suck my dick. There you go, keep going.
Speaker 1: So then they start to snuggle. Now this sounds very familiar to me. Larry assumes the snuggle leads to sex, and he doesn't understand what's the advantage of a snuggle if it's not leading to sex. And then he grabs her ass, right, and you know, the ass is part of my snuggle.
Speaker 4: The ass is a lever and Cheryl's not happy about this.
Speaker 1: Now, you know, I happen to be female or male, so we can have this discussion. I have had this incident with my husband and with previous boyfriends where they only want to be affectionate when they want to have sex.
Speaker 3: In general, you are completely one hundred percent right. Yes, me, I'm you know, I'm a I'm a thoughtful gentleman.
Speaker 1: Not that my husband does not affectionate to me, he is, but certain kinds of affection.
Speaker 4: I always know that.
Speaker 1: That's what.
Speaker 3: By the way, yes, and it was obvious in this episode where he was going. And to me, one of the big giveaways is the grabbing of the ass exactly. No, that's like a classic if you will, in that area.
Speaker 1: The grabbing of the ass, you know, grabbing of the ass always reminds me. My father used to always, you know, kiss my mother and hug her and grab her ass. I remember that. And I always had this assumption because they had a horrible marriage. I always had this assumption that they had hot sex, like that's what kept them together, you know something they Yeah, yeah, sometimes people have a horrible marriage, but they have a great sex. And yet later on in you know, like a couple of years before my mother died, she told me out of nowhere, I didn't even ask her. She said to me, if that was a very selfish lover so apparently.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that is just I don't know what to say.
Speaker 1: So they didn't have great by the.
Speaker 3: Way, the only way that's funnier is if she told you he was a very gentle lover.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly, a very selfish lover.
Speaker 3: Was a very good that's too good.
Speaker 6: We'll be right back. Stay tuned, and we're back.
Speaker 1: So Larry's in his office and he makes a phone call to Lewis, and Lewis's assistant picks up, played by Mindy Kayling. That's right.
Speaker 3: That's when I first met.
Speaker 1: Her, very young, Mindy Cale.
Speaker 3: It's one of her first jobs in Hollywood, Is it?
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 3: Yes? Yes, she She was primarily a right on the office at that point. If I'm not mistaken, I don't think it was before the office. I think they the office at first started.
Speaker 4: Well, this was two thousand and five.
Speaker 3: But she was great. Yeah, I mean in the episode. But also that's one of you know, there's certain actors who do the show who know the show, but they're a bit uncomfortable. I'm the one that helps them through that. That's like one of my jobs as a producer, the way I look at I'm not the only job I've ever been assigned is in large scenes to please keep an eye on the actors and the monitor to make sure no one's You know, I do.
Speaker 1: Find, though, Jeff, generally that comedic comedians have an easier time than.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying she was having a rough time, But I remember very distinctly helping her through it, you know, That's all.
Speaker 4: And what happens is is that chancewers.
Speaker 2: Share with this regarding it's regarding his kidney transplant. What it's regarding his kidney transplant.
Speaker 1: Mister Lewis is getting a kidney transplant. He didn't say anything to me.
Speaker 3: About it, didn't You didn't know about this.
Speaker 1: He didn't tell you this.
Speaker 2: He didn't tell you he was there was a problem with this kidney.
Speaker 6: I didn't tell you anything.
Speaker 3: Could he not have told you about this?
Speaker 6: About this?
Speaker 3: Oh jeez? Will you asked me what it was regarding I didn't know it.
Speaker 1: Like this, And Larry says, regarding his kidney transplant. And then she didn't know he was having a kidney transplant, and she starts crying and she becomes hysterical.
Speaker 3: And this was very much a thin line for us, because in general, in general, I can think of the heartbreak kid there are exceptions, and this clearly was one where crying is not funny. I'm just saying crying is not funny unless somebody like in the Heartbreak Kid like here, where it serves the story. But in general, crying is not funny, and dramatically crying is not interesting. Being on the line of just about to break down is always interesting to watch, and as an actor, the bawling and all that stuff. So on this show we were like doing different types of crying, not knowing, you know, until post what we had.
Speaker 1: And I'm trying to think if we've ever had any other.
Speaker 3: Crying I don't believe so. And by the way, at his Motelo side story, the number of times see I always sound thing I'm giving a lesson And you know this, there is no difference between acting dramatically and comedically, Zira, because it's up to the writer and if you know the character, you just say the lines. You just say it or you improvise it. And so we had people come in nervous, they'd put a spin on things. But one of the things that you were automatically not getting hired is if you started crying. And it happened at least half a dozen times while we were casting the show that an actress came in and she went all out crying and Larry had a stopper and talk to me.
Speaker 1: No. I just remembered one time when I was crying when Oscar.
Speaker 3: Died, right, and he probably told you not to.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, it was it was appropriate in the scene.
Speaker 1: I was crying in the scene. And that was because you guys, you know, never gave him his pink berry.
Speaker 3: Ah, the pinkberry episode, which we haven't done yet.
Speaker 1: No, that's much later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but yeah, okay, the reason that worked was the contrast. I should be upset, you're upset. We fucked it up. Yes, it completely serves the scene. So if anyone's crying, it has to serve the scene. Serve the scene because on its own, crying is not funny.
Speaker 1: And apropos of what you said before, and we've probably said this before, but I'll just reiterate. When you're doing comedy, you know, unless it's a very broad kind of physical comedy or something like that, you don't you should not be thinking about being funny. You should be thinking about being in to me, and it should be written funny.
Speaker 3: The only times that I have failed comedically, the only times are when I've tried to be funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Probably I have probably a ten percent success rate on trying to be funny. The other ninety percent bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb, including on stage. If it doesn't, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think about being funny on Curb, especially because I so trust the setup. I so trust Larry's comedic brain that I know that if he set it up, it's going to be fun.
Speaker 3: But you trust me acting opposite you. And then also there's a comfortability or comfort do ability. Yeah some words come hard to me now. I don't know why, by the way, but anyhow, Yeah, being so comfortable on set also adds to that's right, you know, so.
Speaker 4: Mindy kayling, She's hysterical, cry she didn't know?
Speaker 1: And the next thing we know. And these scenes are always when Lewis shows up angry, they just make me laugh because he's so what did you do? You know, like I so don't believe he's really angry in a certain way even you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It's like, no, I love it.
Speaker 1: Funny angry, It's funny. Lewis shows up at Larry's office what did you do to my assistant? And Larry kind of calms him down by telling him he'll take the test, to which Lewis is quite nonplussed at that response, and he says saying he would have left it the chance, and he should have said in a restaurant the other day that he would have taken the test. And then the phone rings and it's somebody inquiring if Larry was at the Jack in the box with Pete. We don't know what's coming up, but next we see him and with you at the police station and you're about to will line up.
Speaker 3: And by the way, this is downtown La wherever this lineup thing was. And there's sets built to look like not only was it not just that area the bullpen in the bench, that whole floor was designed like a police station, like they could have filmed Hill Street Blues there or NYPD Blue, which they may have I don't know.
Speaker 1: But well, there are permanent sets like that, like for example, you know Law and Order, there's a permanent courtroom set down at Chelsea Piers with but it's a.
Speaker 3: Set this set, but this is also a set, but it's entire floor of what may have been.
Speaker 1: On a stage.
Speaker 3: No, it was on a floor was actually a police station. I'm on the whole floor of a big office building.
Speaker 1: Was not a literal police station, no, but they may have. And while you're sitting there waiting to do the lineup, Larry tells you that he's going to take the kidney test. And he says, why aren't you taking the test? You're his manager, you're his friend, and and then it goes back and forth. You said him, you're his oldest friend, and you are an employee of mine, he says to you. And then Omar Jones shows up the Private Eye and he's got a bone to pick with Larry about his receptionist. He upset his receptionist and he had to talker into staying and Larry apologizes and he's like, has the adoption going?
Speaker 4: And Omar says, I'm going to have something for you soon.
Speaker 1: And they go in. You guys go in and you do a lineup, and then at some point you just say you changed your mind, you're going to take the test, and then you both point out number two.
Speaker 3: No. Wait, the guy, I don't know if he did Seinfeld before the Cop was very good. Not only was very good, he was killing Larry and I during that whole scene, and what he was just so fucking funny. And he played things straight like a cop. But it was hilarious the way he did it. Yeah, me, dude.
Speaker 1: You know. It was a small role, but the importance of these small roles cannot be overemphasized. I mean, it's it's the kind of thing that creates the whole.
Speaker 3: By the way, we have had people, which we've discussed before, in small roles who are invited back in a much bigger role. Yes, I don't know if I've ever told you so this about Me and Mad About You. So I auditioned for Mad About You and it was a pretty good scene in one scene or a couple scenes. And they call my agent and they say we're gonna because they hired me. Okay, Then they call my agent and they say it's down to two lines. If Jeff wants to do it or not, we're still gonna pay him top of show, which means the most money for that, so either way it can stay home coming. To do the two lines, We're very embarrassed, and I said to myself, fuck it, I'm gonna go do the two lines. Well, I do the two lines, which grows into a half a dozen lines for that episode, and the producers are saying, including Larry Charles, mind you that, Oh we got something here. Next thing, you know, I'm on the next three seasons, the recurring role of Marvin. I was even in the finale. But I'm saying from that little role where I said two lines and I put my ego aside, you know, because I was working at that point.
Speaker 1: You know, I got advice from Tom Hanks once told me take whatever part you're ever given, because you're going to be good in it, and people are going to see you in it. It's just going to lead to other things. And I think that was very good advice.
Speaker 3: He was in Bachelor Party, Yes, so he followed that, which I paid the see and kind of liked.
Speaker 1: You guys point out Pete number two and you say it was ten fifteen. It was a late dinner. Was it a late night snack or was it a late dinner? Back and forth with that a little bit, and.
Speaker 3: That was a lot of the laughing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was funny. And then the cop says, dude, do you know who Pete is? And Larry says, well, I know he worked with a dental hygenist and did some landscaping, and apparently he's Peter the Torque or a couple of other names he has.
Speaker 3: That guy improvised, and of course every name that came out of his mouth we laughed, because you think about Peter the Tork. It's Peter Tork from the monkeys, but Peter the Tork that's topping.
Speaker 1: And next thing we know, you guys are at the medical office waiting to take the test, and turns out you're both compatible.
Speaker 4: And the nurse comes over and you say.
Speaker 3: Good night, nurse, good night. It's just a saying.
Speaker 1: I never heard of it. That's nice.
Speaker 3: It is, I know it is. Do you do you? I do?
Speaker 1: Good for you?
Speaker 3: Good for me?
Speaker 1: Oh you think so?
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 1: So I'm glad that makes two of us.
Speaker 3: So you say so I did.
Speaker 4: Why don't you go through this? Tell me about that scene.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's actually something very interesting. I say to her, a good night, nurse, and then she says good night. We go back and forth at a.
Speaker 4: Fa in a very kind of surreal way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I want to say something. This is behind the scenes stuff. This is stuff you'd never know, so we improvise it. It's really good, don't get me wrong, But Larry and I know there's something wrong with it. It's not kicking ash the way it should. Larry wrote that scene and he would feed me a line and I just said it. He would feed her a ligne. She just said it. Back and forth, back and forth, and that was put together through editings, so you felt like we were going bything.
Speaker 1: That's very unusual.
Speaker 3: We'd never done that before. Yes, And the only time I've ever felt that is I'll be driving home and Larry will say, eh, it would have been better written, And he was right. Certain scenes would have been better written. But that's rare that happened. Like he does.
Speaker 1: He has said, and I don't know the exact percentage, but something like ninety five percent of the time, or maybe even ninety eight the actor that is in the scene writes it better than he ever could, and maybe, you know, five percent of the time he wishes that he had written.
Speaker 3: Without a doubt. But also so this scene and I took no affront to it that my improvising, and obviously the guest actress who was great, But we went back and forth, back and forth. He would literally feed me the line and I'd say it, very staccato, a very yes to come Deadpana pan boom, boom boom boom, and then in post it was put together like it was just being made up. I imagine somebody watching would go, wow, look at the way they're improvising, but no, suri bop.
Speaker 1: Okay. So then you're on the park bench with Larry and you got to decide who's good. You're both mad by the.
Speaker 3: Way, not only one of my favorite scenes, but someone took a photo of that. Cephatiger took a photo of that scene and sent it to me for approval. I guess I got my approvals and I said, I want to copy that. So that's probably the most often thing that I autograph is the picture of that. Oh really, yeah, because I.
Speaker 4: Had to see that. I haven't seen that.
Speaker 3: Well, just picture the scene and it's a really cool shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he and I.
Speaker 3: You know what it is. It's just he and I staring in the space, you know, And I saw it in the scene.
Speaker 1: So I actually have some pictures I've taken on set of you two doing that.
Speaker 3: Oh really, yeah, you and your lozenges.
Speaker 6: All right, we'll be right back, Stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're back, And then how are you going to decide who's gonna give the kidney, Larry suggests bingo when you're like, no way, it's like playing golf with Tiger Woods. You're not gonna by.
Speaker 3: The way, the fact that I'm intimidated by him playing back to obviously an earlier episode, but wow, that's funny.
Speaker 1: Because he's such a goddamn good bingo player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And then you say, doesn't he have a cousin, you know, Louis Lewis, And then you decide, let Louis, let Richard Lewis decide the best way, and no campaigning, You're not going to campaign, and no calling saying he's a lot thinner than I am. You know, none of that stuff, which we know is neither of you are going to stick to that yet. And then Larry shows up at Lewis's office and he apologizes to his assistant, Mindy Kayling, and she says, oh, he's on the phone with Jeff Garland, and Larry says, what is it regarding it? She says, she doesn't know, but we know. You know I'm doing my massage, we know we know you're campaigning. And then she starts crying again and he comforts her and he starts stroking her hair.
Speaker 3: It's all right, it's okay. Don't worry. I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I was going to tell you, yeah, don't worry.
Speaker 1: It's okay. What are you doing?
Speaker 6: What? What was that?
Speaker 1: What are you talking about? What the hell? Man? What did you touch my hair?
Speaker 3: Well? I was consoling. I was consoling you. I was touching hair.
Speaker 2: Is part of my consolation routine.
Speaker 1: No, it's really weird. You're being really are crazy?
Speaker 3: What is crazy?
Speaker 2: I was?
Speaker 3: I was consoling.
Speaker 4: Are they I was coming?
Speaker 2: I was consoling, he was coming.
Speaker 3: I was consoling.
Speaker 2: I touched her hair.
Speaker 3: She's nuts.
Speaker 1: If Larry David, who is my very close friend, was doing that to me, I would feel like it was weird.
Speaker 3: What are you doing? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And she was like, you're being weird.
Speaker 1: And then Lewis comes out and then she says that Larry was coming on to her, and then she leaves, and then Louis is confused is she leaving or is she quitting? And you know, goes on to did you get the news? You get the choice? And Larry starts going, you know, I'm considerably older than him, he's bigger, so it's like a big hefty kidney. You can start drinking again he tells him, is a lot about me. You don't know about things I did right after college, and Louis is just like, you know what, you decide, flip a coin or play Enie meanie my nemo. You decide. And then Larry goes over in his head Aenie meanie miney moke, you know, figuring out which one. How if he starts, you know how he's gonna.
Speaker 3: He's yeah, he's gonna cheat. He's gonna prep for any meaning mind and mode exactly.
Speaker 1: And next we're at our house and it's you and Larry and Marty Funkouser, which.
Speaker 3: By the way, before we begin, he doesn't do this often, but he was the funniest straight man, and he's the one, he's the one who held the scene together.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because having watched it, you know, both you and Larry are hilarious in this and the jump bigger.
Speaker 4: But it is Einstein's scene.
Speaker 1: It's his.
Speaker 3: Oh hold on, it's Einstein and your scene, not me as much as no. By the way, let me just say this is one of our favorite things scenes to have filmed. Ever. We laughed the whole time, and by the way, I know it was difficult in post to pick what to use, you know, and Larry and I are any funny in this scene, yes, but we're eclipsed by Bob and your entrance. What you'll go over now is well.
Speaker 1: First they think first it's it's flip a coin, and then they decide, now Larry wants to do enye meanie. Now we know he wants to do enye meaning because he's already worked out the eenie meaniness of it. Right first of all, just the whole idea that you're doing eenie meanie miney mo to decide who was going to have serious surgery of giving up a kidney. I mean, this is an organ and it's eenie meanie mighty mo. It's just it's too bizarre. So Marty says, you know, I really admire you guys. That the unbelievable act of friendship. I just was. I wish I could. And Larry says, well, you haven't taken the test, and so I don't think of a match. I love how he does that. I don't think of a match.
Speaker 3: But by the way Bob getting out of it is so matter of fact, just.
Speaker 4: Like I'm not a match.
Speaker 3: But by the way he doesn't even give us a chance to argue with him.
Speaker 4: Now, no discussion, and who wants to be Enie?
Speaker 1: And Larry says, I'll be Enie and you agree, and then then he starts to get suspicious. Why do you agree to be Enie? To start with Enie and whatever? You work that through?
Speaker 3: No, I say, fine, I'll be Enie. And then he's suspicious of that. That's right, So he takes Enie back.
Speaker 4: He takes Enie back, and it's meanie miney moment.
Speaker 1: My mother says, right, he thinks it's all. He thinks everybody's you know, planning, like like diabolical like he yeah, my mother says, to pick this one, and out goes Yo. You and at Landsa Larry and you both jump.
Speaker 6: You both jump up.
Speaker 1: It's like so happy you give the kiddy, You give the kiddy, and it's it is what to me, It's one of the funniest scenes that you guys have ever done. I really, by the way.
Speaker 3: We begin screaming at each other. You you, And by the way in filming this, Larry lost his ship more times than I.
Speaker 1: Can I remember.
Speaker 3: Every time I said you to him, he's on the floor. And so this one took a minute for him to recover too, but once he started the festival.
Speaker 1: And let me ask you a question, Jeff, because I'm trying to remember, was it was it in the outline? I don't think it was in the outline that you both jump up at the same time like that.
Speaker 3: It had to have been. Yes, you think it was, without a doubt, because that's a story point. So yes, we've improvised some story points, but that one in particular, that would be too weird if we both jumped up, because in this outline, there would be a conclusion on that moment and he would say, Jeff wins, Larry wins, they both win, you know what I mean. Maybe it was discussed on that, But.
Speaker 1: What I recall was, I think the outline did say that you both think that you won, but it didn't. But I don't think it said in the outline.
Speaker 4: That you both jump up simultaneously.
Speaker 3: But I think that, No, he doesn't write things like they, Yes, that was it.
Speaker 4: So that's my point, that that was just that that beautif we.
Speaker 3: Did, as you know on our show, it's not what we're doing because that's already set, it's how we're doing it.
Speaker 1: It really is yeah. And then I come in and he says to me. I was like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Hold on, take a step back. You know, Bob is also agreeing with me. By my you know, Martin Larry is, so when you come in, there's no where you go, No one's expecting. It's not it's not surprising, but we're not expecting. So you're like, you want an explanation, and what do you do?
Speaker 1: You say, oh, well, Larry says to be an immediate and I was like, that's that means you're it? And and then I say, you're.
Speaker 6: Not giving your kidney? What if one of your kids needs a kidney one day?
Speaker 1: You're gonna give a kidney to Richard Lewis? No, no, no, no, I might not be the match Larry, he needs his kidney.
Speaker 6: M but one number two he's a fat fuck. He can't even survive the surgery. You're healthy and thin, you're giving the kidney. End of discussion, foot point.
Speaker 1: There's no way jefs give it. What if what do your kids needs your kiddy and you're not giving a kidney to Richard Lewis?
Speaker 4: He needs his kidney Number one and two he's a fat fuck. He can't survive the surgery.
Speaker 1: So that's that, and you're like, yeah with that face.
Speaker 3: I was really not till later, very upset that Larry pointed out to me that was the favorite thing that I do because I was never aware of it. For six seasons, I was never aware that I was doing that. And then Larry said to me one day, my favorite thing that you do in scenes is when and he imitated it. Yeah, and then every time after I did it, I was conscious.
Speaker 1: Oh, really interesting, And so think.
Speaker 3: About this six seven years. Had no idea I was doing it because I don't like being aware of what I'm doing unless.
Speaker 4: There's us on an unconscious level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then I say, you're healthy and thin, you're giving the kidd the end of discussion. Done discussion.
Speaker 3: But also the way Larry leaves that scene is really funny, Yeah, because he's like he's trying to get a change of mind from you in the most half assed way. And then he comes back and takes the quarterback from Bob. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then he's home with Cheryl explaining to out goes why oh you, and Cheryl agrees, also, you're it, you're out. You have to give the kidney and He's like, if you're playing with two people, yes you're the winner. I'm out. He's in, and he's like, disparaging of Cheryl. I grew up with ene Meenie. You don't know Eenie meeni as well as I know Enie Meanie. And then he goes into a whole thing how it's unfair that he took care of himself all these years. He should have been smoking cigarettes and eating crap, et cetera, et cetera, preparing for this moment, for this moment. And Cheryl says, maybe this is why you were saved when you were drowning. And Larry's point is, if he wants to get so involved, meaning God, why does it just fix his kidney while he's sleeping, and why go through the whole drowning and the saving and you know, And Cheryl starts massaging his shoulders and he grabs her ass and wants to turn it into consolation sex. Yes, she's nuts and and and and Larry's like, sex is the ultimate form of consolation and she's not having it.
Speaker 3: The magic of being married, yes, as opposed to you both can't wait to touch each other. Yeah, well thanks, I think that calms down for a man, but it's pretty much eliminated for a woman. And I actually believe none. That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is it's eliminated unless there's a whimsy on the woman's part, like okay today, I want it. I'm gonna go get it.
Speaker 4: So you're saying women control the whole thing.
Speaker 3: All they most certainly do when you are in a relationship. I don't care who you are. I mean, there might obviously there's exceptions, but yeah, women control the whole sex festival. Sorry, they do it. I agree, Yeah, yeah, yeah, I agree, that's my point. Keep going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And then the news comes on and the news says, Peter Hagen rob Jack in the Box and the victim of robbing the jack with is Louis Lewis and he's in a coma he's not expected to survive, and Larry jumps up for joy and that's the end. I love this episode again. It's it's a very simple but beautiful.
Speaker 3: But it's self contained. Has everything to do with the season, Yeah, a lot, because I told you Wandering Bear had nothing to do with anything else. One of my favorite episodes that's like in the middle of a season sort of like do it, you know, sticking out and you go, wow, that's a great episode. This one's equally, if not better. But yet, this one's.
Speaker 1: About a lot to do with the storyline that's coming up, because from here on in we're dealing a lot with Lewis's kidney.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I think this is the only freeze frame that ever ended the show. You know, like Hawaii the Naked Gun did jokes on the free freeze frame and everybody froze and the coffee poured over the cup, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 3: That came from originally, if I'm not mistaken, because I have watched the first season Hawaii five zero, like they laugh freeze and it's always funny. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, So a freeze frame ending is kind of like Colombo always did it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was a very much seventies, sixties and seventies thing to do, so for us to do it, it's kind of funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And also him in the air of freezing him in the air.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and that is Lewis needs a kidney.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Whether Lewis actually gets the kidney will be seen in future episodes.
Speaker 3: That's right, but you're leaning it towards the direction, but you're creating mystery.
Speaker 1: We'll be back.
Speaker 3: Whoever's listening to the show knows what he knows. We're not dealing with people who are listening to this.
Speaker 1: Anybody's listening to the show and just deciding for the first time to start to watch curb and go from the beginning. I have had many people tell me, by the way, and this is like in the Pandemic especially, many people tell me that that's what they did in the Pandemic. They went back to the first season and they watched straight through.
Speaker 3: This is why my argument is. And I love HBO and I wish we had more people had eyes on HBO. But this is why I'm saying, if we could be on Netflix, how it would change everything. Now I don't I told you I don't want to be more famous, but I love when the show's more successful. Yeah, that really throws me. And that's how people would discover it.
Speaker 1: The more people laughing, the better off it is. So we will see you next time, everybody.
Speaker 3: Yes, bye bye, thank you for listening.
Speaker 1: The History of Carb Your Enthusiasm is a production of iHeart Radio for more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.