Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: I'm the most trusted journalist at Comedy Central's America's only sorts for news.
Speaker 3: This is the Daily Trip.
Speaker 4: With your Home, My Good Cot.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Daily Show. I'm Michael Cotton.
Speaker 5: There's a lot going on in Maga world tonight. Pam Bondi wins the War on Drugs and reality Mike Waltz has left the group chat and Trump thinks Stephen A.
Speaker 1: Smith is the mayor of Harlem.
Speaker 5: So let's get into our ongoing coverage of Donald Trump's first one hundred days.
Speaker 1: They that'll be a little disturbance.
Speaker 4: Trump.
Speaker 5: Tuesday was Donald Trump's one hundredth day in office, and he celebrated the only way he knows how, by getting together with the boys.
Speaker 1: Last night.
Speaker 5: The big party was at Channel three, seven to two on your cable service News Nation.
Speaker 4: Who've just gotten started.
Speaker 3: You haven't even seen anything yet, lockout with your kickout.
Speaker 5: Which is actually how most of those people got fired from their previous job. So this was an event where Donald Trump phoned in, probably from the bathroom, and a bunch of people got to ask questions, including Stephen A.
Speaker 1: Smith.
Speaker 5: And there's a thing I've noticed that happens at parties where there's only one black guy, which is that, no matter what he's talking about, a certain type of white person tries to steer the confert station into an awkward direction.
Speaker 6: Mister President, thank you for you.
Speaker 4: Tom.
Speaker 3: It's interesting that.
Speaker 6: You're brought up Harvard, because when people think about Harvard, what they're basically talking about is they're asking, what do you say to those who view your actions as an attack on academic freedom rather than the defense of fearness.
Speaker 4: What do you say to that? Well, I say this.
Speaker 7: We had riots in Harlem, in Harlem.
Speaker 1: Amazing, amazing.
Speaker 5: Trump heard a black man say Harvard, and he thought he must have met Harlem. What a beautiful mix of racism and dementia. It sounded like you asked about social security, but I'm going to assume you really.
Speaker 1: Asked about soul Plane.
Speaker 5: No, not a great start, but maybe Donald Trump, maybe he can save it.
Speaker 7: We had riots in Harlem, in Harlem, and frankly, if you look at what's gone on, and people from Harlem went up and they protested, staved, and they protested very strongly against Harvard.
Speaker 5: No, I didn't say it. What is he talking about exactly. There were no riots in Harlem. They definitely didn't go from the non riots to protest Harvard. And none of that had anything to do with stephen A's question about academic freedom. It's almost like he's talking about black stuff because stephen A.
Speaker 1: Smith is black.
Speaker 3: You know, I got a very high black vote.
Speaker 7: You know that, very very high black vote.
Speaker 5: I'm starting to think that maybe Trump shouldn't be choosing the curriculum for the smartest college in the world. The answer was so dumbfounding that stephen A, who is a professional interrupter, was left speechless for the first time in his life. By the way, this is not even the weirdest stephen A. Smith moment from this week, because apparently the guy had a cameo on General Hospital a few days ago. And here's really the only moment you need to say.
Speaker 4: So I did to ride.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna need to see some idea.
Speaker 5: Of course, goddamn, is that what happens to me? You don't have your id, man. Things sure have changed now. We used to clap for nurses every day, and now we quick draw them with a silencer. I had no idea that stephen A. Smith even acted in soap operas. But now I can't wait to tune in next week to find out if he has an evil twins.
Speaker 1: Stephen B. Smith, I guess.
Speaker 5: I gotta start watching General Hospital, or as Trump calls it, General Harlem. But let's move on, because not everyone is having fun during this celebration week.
Speaker 1: We begin with breaking news.
Speaker 5: Sources are confirming to Fox News that National Security Advisor Mike Waltz is out.
Speaker 1: Waltz has been in a precarious position with the President actor he accidentally added a reporter to a group chat about upcoming military strikes.
Speaker 5: Damn, what a shame for Mike Waltz. I wonder how they delivered the news.
Speaker 8: That's nice call, you know what.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 5: You can't jeopardize military missions by adding journalists to your group chats. And to Donald Trump's credit, he realizes he can't have a guy this incompetent working for his administration.
Speaker 1: He's got to go.
Speaker 4: Is CNN's breaking news.
Speaker 2: President Trump just announcing moments ago that he will be nominating his current National Security advisor, Michael Waltz, to be the next US Ambassador to the United Nations.
Speaker 5: Yeah, leah, Yeah, Like I was saying, he's got to go to the United Nations to represent the entire country on a global stage.
Speaker 1: Congracts, Mike, You've earned it, I guess. Look, I don't know.
Speaker 5: This seems like pure chaos to me, but I'm sure this administration has been carefully planning the whole reorganization for days. As the State Department spokesperson will make.
Speaker 9: Clear here, the President has just written on truth Social that Mike Waltz is going to become the new US Ambassador to the United Nations.
Speaker 10: Well there for the national career.
Speaker 11: Fabulous.
Speaker 9: And in addition to that, he says that in the interim Secretary of State, Marco Rubio will serve as National Security Advisor while continuing his strong leadership at the State Department. Do you know how long he's going to be serving?
Speaker 4: In goals? It is clear that I just heard this from me.
Speaker 5: You know what, why don't you come up here and I'll ask you some questions.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 5: By the way, if it sounds crazy that Marco Rubio has two separate jobs, that's actually only half of his jobs.
Speaker 12: Marco Rubio is very busy right now. Our own David Gurrow reminding us that he's right now Secretary of State, Interim National Security Advisor, Acting Administrator of us AID, and also Acting Archivist for the United States. That's a lot of work.
Speaker 4: Those are a lot of jobs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I don't know how you balance working four jobs all at the same time, but I'm gonna guess it probably involves doing a shitty job. And he's actually working five jobs when you consider the hardest job of them all, which is being a father, which reminds me, Honey, you're gonna have to put the kids to bed tonight because I'm gonna go get drunk at Davidbusters. But amazingly, Trump hasn't been firing administration officials all that much because partly most of them have really learned a lesson about staying on his good side. Let me show you how bad it can get. Three days ago, Pam Bondi was on Fox News making an outrageous claim about Trump's success stopping ventanyl deaths.
Speaker 10: Since Donald Trump has been in office, DEA has seized over twenty one million fentanyl pills taken.
Speaker 1: That's twenty one million lives saved, in my opinion, twenty one million people. Twenty one million people.
Speaker 5: Just for context, seventy thousand people die from fentanyl in an entire year. But we're supposed to believe that in three months, Trump prevented twenty one million fentanyl deaths. I guess a lot more people were planning to try flentton all this year. Huh, were you guys? Because if everyone's doing I'll do it. I'm not a pussy, all right, this audience is pro fentanyl.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 5: To be fair to BONDI, she must have realized these numbers were way off, because two days later she correct herself.
Speaker 10: Since he's been in office, DEA has taken twenty two point two million fittinyl pills off the streets. This is one hundred and night eighteen million lives Donald Trump has saved since January. Pretty remarkable.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, one hundred and nineteen million.
Speaker 5: He saved one hundred more million lives in two days.
Speaker 1: Wow. Keep in mind.
Speaker 5: Keep in mind the entire population of the United States is three hundred and forty million, So she's crediting Trump with saving the lives of a third of the entire country. Pam, what are you talking about? Are you on the fence? Because you signed you sound high as.
Speaker 1: Book right now?
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, Well, you know what. BONDI sobered up, She checked her math, and she realized something was off again, because during Trump's cabinet meeting yesterday, she came back and corrected herself one more time.
Speaker 10: President Trump, your doj agencies have ceased more than twenty two million fit in all pills which say are you ready for this media? Two hundred and fifty eight million lives?
Speaker 5: Two hundred and fifty eight, two hundred and fifty eight million lives?
Speaker 1: What is happening here that the rate Trump is saving.
Speaker 5: Lives death will cease to exist by August Man. You gotta love the way she turns to the camera, like, are you ready for this?
Speaker 1: Media? No, no, we know we weren't ready for that. We were not ready.
Speaker 5: There is no way anybody could ever have been ready for the number you were about to say.
Speaker 1: Even jd. Vance wasn't ready. Look at his face when he hears her say that shit.
Speaker 10: Are you ready for this media? Two hundred and fifty eight million lives?
Speaker 4: Kids are dying every day.
Speaker 5: I've never seen a man blink what the fuck is this woman talking about?
Speaker 1: But of course he knows it's bullshit.
Speaker 5: He went to Yale, right, it's it's no Harlem University, but they know mad.
Speaker 1: The point is, the point is, by.
Speaker 5: The time we're done with the next hundred days, Trump will have saved it.
Speaker 1: And are you ready for this media?
Speaker 5: Three and forty seven bajillion lives which if you ask me, three hundred yeah, three and forty bajillion lives, which you've asked me, is too many lives? Is there anyone we can call to thin the hurd were we come back, We'll show you the one product.
Speaker 1: That can help you get through the next four years.
Speaker 8: Don't grow along, Welcome back to Beta shows.
Speaker 5: If you're not a fan of Donald Trump, it's probably because you disagree with his policies, maybe your pro choice or support expanding renewable energy, or maybe because you have a mental illness.
Speaker 3: So there's this condition called Trump derangement syndrome, and every single Democrat had.
Speaker 4: This Trump derangement syndrome.
Speaker 11: Anything with Trump's name attached to it, Democrats will automatically create no matter what it is, Trump de arrangement syndrome is stage five no vaccine, no cure, no therapeutic.
Speaker 4: To horrible, horrible terminal disease.
Speaker 7: It destroys the mind before the body but the body eventually goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 5: Trump derangement syndrome the only disease Trump can give you that doesn't require you to.
Speaker 1: Notify recent sex partners.
Speaker 5: Of course, in reality, Trump derangement syndrome is a fake mental illness coined by right wing trolls on social media.
Speaker 1: But that's about to change.
Speaker 12: Republican life in Minnesota want to here in the state add Trump derangement syndrome as an official mental illness.
Speaker 11: The bill aims to change our state's definition of mental illness to include a form of criticism of the current president.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, five GOP senators in Minnesota want to codify Trump derangement syndrome into state law. And look, I can already hear all the woke libs out there whining about this Minnesota bill.
Speaker 1: So let me just say, is this bill perfect?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Is the disease totally made up?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Is this a huge waste of time and taxpayer money?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: Did one of the Republicans behind the bill just get arrested for soliciting a seventeen year old for prostitution? Well, as they say in Minnesota, OI, I bet your officer. But still you have to admit that these past one hundred days have caused very real stress for a large percentage of Americans. And if that sounds like you, well, luckily there's a time tested product out there to help you deal with it.
Speaker 4: After President Trump's first one hundred days.
Speaker 12: A dramatic escalation of President trump'sy legal immigration crackdown.
Speaker 1: Safety concerns growing.
Speaker 11: After another plane crash here in the US.
Speaker 7: The US will take over the Gaza Strip and we will do a job with it.
Speaker 4: Many people are scared of what's to come. The stock market and our economy are in a volatile freefall, and free speech is under attack. You've tried everything to ease your mind, from booze to pills and even other booze, but nothing seems to work. That's why in these times of despair and uncertainty, you need the Hang in Their Poster. This uplifting poster of strength and hope features an adorable cat hanging from a rope with the timeless slogan hang in there printed on the bottom. The Hang in Their poster is the acute and comforting distraction we all need in time terms of political upheaval. Plus the hang in There poster goes where you go, meaning joy and comfort are just a glance away. So the next time you're worried about people losing their rights or the staggering amount of government corruption we're about to witness in the next four years, don't fret. Just hang in there to order your official hang in there poster called one eight hundred hang me go. Now, we'll throw in a second hang in there post. They're absolutely free for an additional twenty nine to ninety five called one eight hundred handy.
Speaker 1: Now, well, we come back. Senator Alyssa slack Over joining me on the show. Stick around, hang around, hanging out.
Speaker 8: Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 5: My guest tonight is the junior US Senator from Michigan. Please welcome Senator Alissa Slockin. Well, Senator, Yes, Senator slock And that sounds nice.
Speaker 1: You know, it's pretty good, feels good.
Speaker 3: It's good.
Speaker 5: You speak Arabic, you speak Swahili, you speak English.
Speaker 1: How would you like me to conduct the cerma? English would be fantastic, Englis should be okay.
Speaker 5: So some big news today. Mike Waltz is out. You are and I don't say this very often. A Democrat with an impressive national security background, working in the CIA, security debriefing Obama every morning, uh, working at the Pentagon. How worried should we be now, Pete Haig Sath is, Pete.
Speaker 1: Hagsack, he is? What's your take on where on how we.
Speaker 3: Are right now?
Speaker 11: I mean, you know, I don't think anyone feels great about where we are right now.
Speaker 5: I don't feel like this is Marco Rubio's fourth job, Yes, four job, you know.
Speaker 11: And I think that the truth is, like, there are some really serious international challenges and we just can't have the B team in here. We need serious people. And I think that Pete Haig Seth has should resign and is just not where we need to be on it.
Speaker 5: And Trump was just in Michigan for his one hundredth day. You won in Michigan on the same same ticket as Trump. What do Michigan voters want?
Speaker 4: You think?
Speaker 11: Well, Michigans are very independently minded people, as you know, and I think, yes, he's a Michigan and I'm very proud of him.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: Well, we got to tell these coastals this is the shape of Michigan.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And you know, I think so we're independently minded. But I think the two things that really came through in the last election was one, it was a pocketbook election, right. People wanted someone who was going to put more money in their pocket. And then number two, if I can be Frank, is a little harder to grab onto. It's like people are looking for a little alpha energy. And I think I had like a little bit more alpha energy than the average dem and I want us to get more alpha energy.
Speaker 1: And this comes from my wife. What is alpha energy?
Speaker 11: I just think, well, okay, you're a Midwesterner, and let me explain for those who are not Midwesterners, Like, think of who we identify with as like our big leaders right right now, the most popular man in Michigan is the coach of the Lions, right Dan Campbell and go lines and he is just but he like he loves big. He's tough with people, but he like will hug you and give you know and CRY's eyes out with and his guys do great. Like we want leadership, right We're in a moment of crisis in the country and a moment of change as well, and so we want leaders who can like lead us through and light the tunnel so that we can get through this moment of our history, and that is like not a quiet, calm diplomat, you know, that is like, let's go. And I think that is what Michiganders are looking for in their leaders in the state, but also across the country.
Speaker 5: People are responding very well to that. You know, my daughter finished a puzzle the other day. She's five, and I gave you this big hug and I was crying, and she was like, Dad, Dad, I love this alpha male energy. Right now, you've said adopt the alpha energy, but you've also said that the Dems there's a perception of the party as weak and woke.
Speaker 11: That's actually what Michigander said. There was a pole in February and those were the words identified most with the Democratic brand. And I think that you know, again, I don't think it's just Trump voters who want something different. I think our government is a twentieth century government and we're in the twentieth twenty first century.
Speaker 1: It needs to change.
Speaker 11: No one loves our healthcare, no one loves how we do education. No one loves how our government works. So we need to change it. But we want responsible change, not reckless change, not just breaking stuff to break stuff. But I think we need to hear that, and I think that Michiganders understand that, like we can't stay the same, we can't look backwards.
Speaker 1: We have to look forward.
Speaker 11: But we want to know who that is. And I think the Democratic Party should be leading instead of just saying no, no, no status quot, status quo, don't change, no, embrace change, but like put your marker down on what you think should happen. Talk about how we need a stronger middle class in this country because it's shrinking. It is like, don't try to hide it. It is so I to me, that's like the vision piece. And then because I'm from the national security world, like at the Pentagon, you don't go to the bathroom without a plan, right, Like you're constantly planning.
Speaker 5: That's what I've been having to know for all these years.
Speaker 11: So I think, like Democrats need a plan. And I've been in the Senate for like one hundred and twelve or fifteen days, and I kept I got tired of waiting for someone else to do it. So I just like wrote a war plan, decamped with a bunch of my closest friends and advisors and wrote our best stab at what we should be doing as a country to push back on the threats to our economy and our democracy.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 5: As a Michigander, I'm worry maybe that you are feeling a burden of a democratic national message when you're a junior senator representing Michigan. Are you, I mean, are Michigan first at this point?
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean yeah.
Speaker 11: Look, I got the chance to give the response to the State of the Union, and I made a choice to do that from Michigan because if I could give a speech that could work in Michigan and not turn me into a Saturday Night Live skit, then I thought, I think it would work for the country. Like Michigan, I think is a good bell weather, a good canary in the coal mine on what's going on, particularly on our economy right now. And so what all I can do is like take the lessons every single day from what is going on, no shit, no kidding in my state, and then sort of express to people that I'm going to go fight for them and fight for my state. And that means a good thing for us, but a good thing for the country too.
Speaker 5: Donald Trump spoke for Donald Trump spoke for an hour.
Speaker 1: And forty minutes that night. You spoke for ten minutes and I think you've said more than him, actually, But.
Speaker 5: I want to get back a little litle bit to this woke word, because it's not like Harris and Walls were out there saying they were woke.
Speaker 1: No one was campaigning they were woke.
Speaker 5: The Republicans effectively targeted the Dems as woke. And I wonder if some of this alpha male energy you're talking about, and it's alpha male, I'm adding the male because that's who I hope, I a dude, but it's alpha.
Speaker 11: You don't have to be a male to the alpha energy.
Speaker 5: Correct, and thank you for correction, Thank you very correct. Me is taking back how how you're not allowed to label me? I will tell you what I am and who we are. And I wonder if the Dems can do that effectively.
Speaker 1: Well that's what we have to do, Jim. I think there's no choice.
Speaker 11: And I think you're right that they you know, the attack ads and framing your your enemy, your adversary is what happens in political campaigns. But like, suck it up, butter Cup, we got to turn that around, right, Like, you can't just let someone else to find you. You have to say what you're about. Not just what you're against. And I think Democrats, you know, what Trump is doing is unprecedented, and so we're on our heels. We're trying to figure out where to look first. So you know, we got to understand that we have to have a plan to know where we're going as a as a group, right, and stop turning our guns on each other as Democrats.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 11: Can we all agree that that like where the adversary is in this situation. So you know, I think that is what we owe to the American people.
Speaker 5: Actually, I loved when your rebuttal was from your your rebuttals from WYANDT Michigan, and as a Michigander, Oh my god, wine Dot, this is where.
Speaker 1: People are actually building the cars.
Speaker 5: They're pressing the steel, and I thought it curious to ask you, what's the response there with the tariffs? Yeah, I mean you're really and these are this is the this is America's car center.
Speaker 11: Well, Michigan, I think is like uniquely positioned to be dremely vulnerable to these tariffs. One because our manufacturing sector and how we've been working for a long time to build our supply chains with Canada, our neighbor. And then also our farming industry, right who gets all the retaliation. What we're seeing right now is like peak uncertainty. People are just feeling like COVID times, like I don't know what to do. Do I invest, do I not invest? Do I build that factory? Do I not build that factory? Do I expand? Do I make those orders? And right now the first sort of like tip off we're seeing is cut down in like orders. So trucking is down, right, The number of hours our truck drivers are driving are going down. And I think that's just the start of this. And you know, if you're lucky enough to be a bigger business, you can go cut a deal with the White House. Right He's created this unbelievable marketplace of like every country has to come to me, every industry. But if you're the small guy, the small business owner, the guy who owns a supermarket in my town, no one's cutting him a deal and he's at risk of going under. So he's slow rolling us into a recession. And we need to be clear about that. Because he promised he was going to put more money in people's pockets.
Speaker 1: It's the opposite. It's the opposite. The uaw's has backed the tariffs.
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: Am I reading that correctly?
Speaker 11: I think I would let them speak for themselves. But I think they're either going to be really right or really wrong. Right and and I just don't have faith that there's some wizard of Oz behind Donald Trump coming up with a grand plan that's going to make this all work. All I see every day is people are paying more for goods, no plan on housing, more for energy. I mean more and more and more and more and more. So if you're the guy who said you were going to actually bring money into their pockets instead, he's making you pay in every part of your life.
Speaker 4: Correct, Yes, and yes.
Speaker 1: It's weird to clap for that.
Speaker 5: By the way, Well this audience just keeps clapping over and over again, but they don't in your rebuttal, I love this.
Speaker 1: I'm going to make sure I get it right. You said, don't tune out.
Speaker 5: It's easy to be exhausted, but American needs you now more than ever. Pick one issue you're passionate about, and engage and doom scrolling doesn't count. The reason that connected with me was it feels so overwhelming.
Speaker 1: What do I respond to? What can I do? But the pick one issue? Is a nice action plan. Yeah, I think.
Speaker 11: Look, I think part of what I worked on in this kind of war plan is if you're an activated person and you want to do something, do one of two things. Either go deep, particularly on an issue of democracy and corruption, because every single day he's threatening our democracy and he's like milking the cow of America as like a full time job, right, Or go deep on the things that really affect people's pocketbooks, right, so the economy, social security, healthcare, you know, VA benefits. So one of those two one of those two categories are to me the place where people should go deep and you can't tune out. It feels comforting to stop reading the news and not being engage age. But I will just tell you as I'm the youngest Democratic female senator right now, and I wouldn't be here. Yeah, I just have to say, like if previous generations had given up and been like, you know, it's really hard right now, Like think of the women who fought for a hundred years to allow me to get to this spot. Like we don't have the right to tune out when previous generations fought and fought fought.
Speaker 5: So if if you tuned out after the election for a week. Okay, time to tune back yet, Shit's getting real, So Senator, let's slock and thank you very much for being here.
Speaker 4: Take a quick break.
Speaker 13: We're right back after this, thank you very much. So that's our show for tonight. Now here, it is your moment of zad.
Speaker 14: Donald Trump's first one hundred days can be defined by one big F word, failure.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount plus
Speaker 3: Paramount Podcasts