Speaker 1: This is a freaking lifetime movie. An next say he deserves an Oscar. He really deserves an Oscar.
Speaker 2: I'm like, am I lose? In my mind? I could believe it was happening to me.
Speaker 3: I'm Andrea Gunning and this is Betrayal, A show about the people we trust the most and the deceptions that change everything. Nancy grew up in Boston in the seventies. She was the youngest of three girls. From birth, she was deemed a medical miracle.
Speaker 1: When I was born, they told my mother that I'm going to die in three days because i have a pin hole in my heart and it's twisted. Now She's like, I don't think so she took me home. They toltally, well, she's gonna have to have open hot surgery by the time she's sighed. Didn't, well, she's gonna have to have at least by eighteen, and she's gonna die. Didn't I'm fifty five. I've never had open hot surgery.
Speaker 3: Because of her heart condition, her mother kept a close eye on her. Her activities were restricted. She wasn't even allowed to go to gym class in school. Family and teachers babied her, mostly because she was so small.
Speaker 1: I'm only four eleven, and when I was five years well, I think I actually have a picture. I looked like him too, so everybody treated me like I was the baby all the time.
Speaker 3: As a kid, Nancy went to the cardiologist every week for her heart condition. She wasn't scared about it, but she knew her mom was.
Speaker 1: I even remember being over her friend's house. We'd be playing with their children, and they'd be in the kitchen talking, drinking or whatever, and I would hear her crying and telling her friend, I'm so afraid that she's just gonna die on me one day. I never told her I heard that never.
Speaker 3: She surpassed medical expectations and grew up to be healthy, but doctors told her she wouldn't be able to have kids of her own. The entire experience made Nancy and her mom really close.
Speaker 1: I didn't hang out with friends on Saturday night. I hang out with my mother because she's just my best friend. Everybody who loved her because she was just down to earth.
Speaker 3: Early on in her life, Nancy saw that her father was treated differently than her mother.
Speaker 1: Back in the day, my mother and my father used to get pulled over a lot and the cost would ask my mother, is he hurting you? Because she's white?
Speaker 3: Her father was black, and other kids tease Nancy about having interracial parents.
Speaker 1: It's like, what's wrong with your mother? There's nothing wrong with my mother. What are you talking about? My mother never paid attention to it. She said, if you pay attention, that's given them more energy to do what they're doing.
Speaker 3: When Nancy was a teenager, she met a boy in her neighborhood named Devon. He was always trying to catch her eye, so.
Speaker 1: I'm like, who is this person? And he was extremely handsome.
Speaker 3: One day, Devon brought her a present.
Speaker 1: So he heard that I love saft served and ELASTI with colored Jimmys. From that day on, we were together.
Speaker 3: She and Devon became high school sweethearts.
Speaker 1: We were a class couple, of course we were. We were together all the time. It was like nothing could come between us.
Speaker 3: Their plan was to be together forever, and to this day, Nancy still wishes they could have been, but tragedy derailed their future.
Speaker 1: I had heard that there was this extremely bad car accident, and I was in a school that sat up on a hill, so you could see, like the police cause and the ambulances all that. That looks like a really bad accident up there. Everybody knew but me. Nobody wanted to tell me because they were afraid to tell me. He was in that car accident.
Speaker 3: He was a passenger in the collision and they needed the jaws of life to pull him out of the car.
Speaker 1: And I found out the person who told me said he was in a car accident and he died. I passed out, woke up in the Narses office and I'm like, I didn't just hear what she said. The nurse said he wasn't a carson, but he's not dead. He was at a coma for three days. I went every day, waited in the room. Every day, wait in the room, talked to him.
Speaker 3: She was by his side when he woke up from the coma.
Speaker 1: But when he woke up, it was a different person, you know. They asked things like when's your birthday, what's your name? Who's the president? Things like that. He said his name was Robert something and he was born in nineteen twenty one.
Speaker 3: DeVaughn was never the same.
Speaker 1: After that. He started smoking cigarettes, never spoke, he was like completely against it. He started drinking, swearing and he was like mean sometimes and I'm like, who is this person. I'm just like, Okay, it's gonna get better. It's going to get better. That better.
Speaker 3: After his traumatic brain injury, it wasn't the same relationship. It was a lot for a seventeen year old to manage emotionally.
Speaker 1: I felt like he died in that. To me, he died in that accident.
Speaker 3: Nancy made the tough decision to leave Devon and focus on herself. She started her own life in Boston, working in the office of a stock brokerage. By her early twenties, she was living on her own and fully supporting herself.
Speaker 1: And a beautiful condo in my house was fully furnished.
Speaker 3: Every day, on her lunch break, Nancy chatted with a guy who worked outside her building.
Speaker 1: I worked in the financial district. It was always constructing going on at the Liberty Mutual building, and you know, the construction guys would do the cat calling when the girls walked by. But there was this one guy. He was just when he's having lunch. I'm going to lunch, he's at his lunch.
Speaker 3: His name was Marvin, and Marvin became a fixture in her day life, a friendly face that she felt comfortable with.
Speaker 1: And then he invited me to this club that he belonged to. It was like a dance club. It was like the Caribbean Cultural Club.
Speaker 3: He was Jamaican and Nancy's dad was from Cuba, so she was interested in Boston's Caribbean community.
Speaker 1: And I was like, guy and my friends have come part of this weekend. It's all right.
Speaker 3: That weekend, as promised, she and her friends stop by. It was a lively scene with music and dancing.
Speaker 1: So when I went into the club, I was expecting to see Marvin. I'm going to let him know that I did come for his invitation. And I never saw him that night at all.
Speaker 3: But she hardly noticed because she got distracted by a guy her age named Seth, and.
Speaker 1: He asked me to dance. I've danced to me, it's just the dance. I went to sit back down with my friends that continue were hanging out, and he asked me to dance again. Dance again.
Speaker 3: Seth wasn't exactly her type.
Speaker 1: Well then four eleven it is, because everybody's gonna be solid it. Yeah, he's six'.
Speaker 3: Three nancy and her friends decided to leave the party before it got too.
Speaker 1: Late by that, time and the night was ending and he comes running out the. Club i'm, like, Oh.
Speaker 3: Seth what Did nancy's? Number it was the, nineties.
Speaker 1: So he had to go to his car to get pen and.
Speaker 3: Paper nancy found it. Endearing she thought she was meeting up with a friend from work and instead ended up meeting this nice. Guy it felt like. Fate the next, Day seth.
Speaker 1: Called i'll not. Forget it was A. Sunday it was two o'clock in the afternoon and he. Called he said he was. Working he was a. Butcher, OH i want to come seeing you AFTER i got? Work all, right where you? LIVE i, SAID i live? On?
Speaker 2: REALLY i work On.
Speaker 3: Wow he worked just a few blocks down from her, Apartment so they agreed to meet up for. Lunch seth recently moved To boston From, jamaica so you.
Speaker 1: Told me, about you, know living In, jamaica and that he was here on a.
Speaker 3: Visa she loved His jamaican, accent especially the way he said her. Name she also liked his easygoing, personality so she said yes to a second. Date that's where he really impressed.
Speaker 1: Her he cooked for. Me he actually cooked it at his house and brought it to my.
Speaker 2: House that was, like.
Speaker 1: So It's jamaican. Wood it was a red. Snapper, delicious absolutely. Delicious he's an excellent.
Speaker 3: Cook she hadn't had a serious boyfriend Since DeVaughn in high, school And seth reminded her a bit of. Him he went out of his way to make her feel, special just Like DeVaughn.
Speaker 1: HAD i always tell people you sweetly off my. Feet i'll. Say the biggest attraction was he was pleasant and calm and. Respectful she cheeked me like a. Lady it was good to, me and everything just seemed like it.
Speaker 3: Clicked after they'd been dating for a few, Months seth Took nancy to meet his. Uncle he was one of a few people In seth's family who also immigrated To. Boston When nancy walked through the, door she was, shocked.
Speaker 1: AND i was, LIKE i know.
Speaker 3: You it Was, Marvin nancy's lunch break. Buddy AND i was, like.
Speaker 1: You do the construction That liberty needs to him. Right he's, like, yeah, YEAH i see you when you're going to lunch. That, Yeah, WELL i, said, wow what a small.
Speaker 3: World years, Later nancy would find out it wasn't much of a coincidence at. All that, summer she And seth took their first vacation.
Speaker 1: Together we went To New, hampshire ham To. BEACH i went every year with friends or, whatever AND i, stated they view hotel every year right across from the, beach AND i know that's WHERE i could see my.
Speaker 2: CHILD i know that for a.
Speaker 3: Fact nancy had lived her whole life believing she'd never have. Kids she Told seth she couldn't get. Pregnant when she found out that she was, expecting it felt like another medical. Miracle her first call was to her.
Speaker 1: Mom she was, like, yeah you'll have to get married. NOW i, said right, now right.
Speaker 3: Now it seemed old, fashioned but she trusted her mom to guide her in the right. Direction we went.
Speaker 1: To City hall to register for the marriage. Certificate i'm four months pregnant and the lady gives you the. Paper it's split in the middle and your information is here and his information is. Here AND i was, like, oh they have your birthdate. Wrong he's, like, no that's. RIGHT i, said, no it's. Not he's, like it, Is, well you can't be twenty six with this day of. Birth he was.
Speaker 3: Nineteen he lied about his. Age he was in twenty, six like he said he was. Nineteen nancy was twenty three at the. Time seth gave her a simple.
Speaker 1: Explanation he had to make up that age for me to be interested because he told me he was. NINETEEN i was definitely not dated, him he, SAID i, said you're, right so he lied to be able to date. ME i just stood there for a. Minute the place that you get the marriage certific k was at the bottom.
Speaker 2: Floor in the building where there is an.
Speaker 1: Echo because there is a big square of, balconies AND i screamed out what and it echoes all of the.
Speaker 2: Place all you saw was people coming over and looking.
Speaker 3: Down seth insisted that it wasn't a big.
Speaker 1: Deal he didn't comprehend that it was, wrong like telling a child that it's wrong to play in the. Dirt and they looked at, you like why not like? That you, know like what's the. Problem i'm, like you, know what what DO i? Do at this, POINT i got an imagine to get in one hand and a baby in the.
Speaker 3: Belly she decided she was gonna let it. Go she couldn't change his, age so she signed the.
Speaker 1: PAPERS i THINK i was more in love with my baby than any. SITUATION i wanted her to have a married mom and, dad AND i want to everything for, Her so that was in my.
Speaker 3: HEAD a few weeks, Later nancy And seth had a small. Wedding the couple set their sights on. Parenthood they got an adorable apartment on the top floor of a Converted boston, mansion complete with a castle like.
Speaker 1: Turret it was like a, cute little quaint hogmoon beginning of life.
Speaker 3: Apart nancy wanted the sex of the baby to be a.
Speaker 1: Surprise when she came, out there was a. Girl he actually had a frown on his. FACE i, SAID i don't care if it was a.
Speaker 2: Frog all THAT i went, throre you better be.
Speaker 3: Happy set's disappointment quickly. Faded they both fell in love with their.
Speaker 1: DAUGHTER i was just in the awe of her every.
Speaker 2: Day she was a, wonderful wonderful little.
Speaker 3: Girl those first few years of their daughter's life were.
Speaker 1: Magical he was a sor. Father he always took care of my, daughter always like he died for, her not to, pampers diapered like washing material. Diapers he made her baby. Food he's the ONE i got up in a milan NI i didn't change.
Speaker 2: Poopy diapers because he did that all of.
Speaker 3: It he was also excellent To.
Speaker 1: Nancy he did all the, cooking he did all the. CLEANING i could tell him until. Time coming home from, work he'd have a.
Speaker 2: Bath ready for.
Speaker 1: Me he'd have a buss wine for. Me he always cooked, dinner.
Speaker 3: And this wasn't a phase for. Him year after, Year seth showed up for their family and their. Marriage she And seth were a.
Speaker 1: Team we worked together in the house without, effort not Like, okay you're going to do this And i'm Gonna we just did it like you and my mother used to, say you can'ts just do things.
Speaker 3: Effortlessly years into their, marriage they were still very much in.
Speaker 1: Love the romance was still. There as As i'm, concerned that didn't change at.
Speaker 3: All even a neighbor commented on how physically close they.
Speaker 2: Seemed she was, like every TIME i see you, guys just so. Close she was, like he's mowing the lawn and you're right next to. Him i'm like picking. Weeds but we. Were we were always close together like.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 3: Always at the, Time nancy worked at a.
Speaker 1: BANK i had a computer to take home just in case it was implement.
Speaker 3: Weather nancy was the only one in their house who used the, computer.
Speaker 1: AND i had told them this is just my work computer ONLY i can go on all.
Speaker 2: Right everybody knew THAT i was.
Speaker 1: Good one DAY i went on the computer and a dating website popped. Up it was called adultfinder dot. Com i'll never forget it. Now the username was, there but the password was.
Speaker 3: There the username Was Peter. Parker five years into their, Marriage nancy found a strange dating website on her work computer with a username she didn't. Recognize i'm Like Peter.
Speaker 1: Pocca So i'm, like somebody got my computer and put their name on. Them i'm Thinking Peter parker's a, person And i'm, Like, seth what is did you see? That he was, like, oh those things like pop? Ups And i'm, like oh my. God let me call my company and let them. KNOW i did not go on that, website and they took it out of space. Value they didn't dig into it or nothing like.
Speaker 3: That nancy didn't, Either, besides her focus was on their, daughter who just started.
Speaker 1: SCHOOL i went to every at the school program and every, play AND i was always by myself because he was.
Speaker 3: Working he'd taken a demanding job at The metro. Rail he often worked overtime hours to make extra. Money they were only in their, thirties but they were already planning for an early, retirement.
Speaker 1: And we always talked about retiring In. Jamaica have a house there up in the. Hills we finally had a. House it's beautiful up. There the air and everything is. Different we had a book and everything that we wrote In what We, Want What we're going To.
Speaker 3: Do a book where they wrote down their dreams for the. Future in order to make those dreams. Happen nancy And seth worked long. Hours the only day they both had off Was. Sunday that day was reserved for. Family when she.
Speaker 2: Got, older like, ten we would go to the.
Speaker 1: MALL i would go one way and they would go another because they'd go into the video game store And i'm In macy's or Jay z or something and we had wacky.
Speaker 2: Talkies we had lacky. Talkies it was. Cute they had a lot of fun with.
Speaker 3: Her One, Sunday nancy was looking forward to their family, time But seth took an overtime.
Speaker 2: Shift well called him at work for. SOMETHING i can't remember what it, was and he said he's not. Here i'm, Like, oh did he go to the?
Speaker 1: Bathroom you, Know, no he's not today's, say, oh but he's not doing overtime.
Speaker 2: Today.
Speaker 1: No so when he got home at, midnight when he normally gets, home he comes in the. DOOR i didn't mention to him THAT i knew he wasn't at. WORK i, said, oh ya home a little bit later, Then, NO i was, LIKE i know they at traffic at the.
Speaker 2: Summon you?
Speaker 3: Okay he said he stayed late to talk to a coworker who was having a releaseationship.
Speaker 1: Problem he was, like we would talking a long time because he was telling me that he cheated on his girlfriend and she found, out and that's why we was. Talking he needed somebody to talk. TO i was, like, wow a woman always finds out when you're DOING a dog comes To, mike don't.
Speaker 3: Forget she knew she'd Caught seth in a. Lie he hadn't been at work that day at, all and he certainly hadn't been comforting a, Coworker so where was? He instead of asking him, directly she decided to wait and see what else you can find. Out, plus she wasn't ready to accuse him of.
Speaker 1: Anything once you put it out there that you don't trust, them your full relationship. Changes you can't really ruin even like a. Friendship say you AND, i if we're. Friends in my pocketbook is. MISSING i put it in the wrong. Place but Now i'm, like did you take my?
Speaker 2: Pocketbook our friendship is. Over it's. Over you just have to be careful with stuff like, that you. Know SO i was kind of stuck UNTIL i could get something, tangible.
Speaker 3: And soon she would get something tangible or maybe. Metaphysical nancy was in bed late one night and out of their bedroom, window she could See seth standing outside their house.
Speaker 1: AND i saw a figure next to. Him AND i was half asleep and halfway CAN i stop back to? See AND i talked to him the next day AND i, said were you okay last?
Speaker 2: Night did anything different?
Speaker 1: Happen he, goes she had almost got into a car. Accident we were the only two cars in a. ROAD i almost got a car.
Speaker 2: Accident AND i was, LIKE i thigured something was.
Speaker 1: Wrong he said? Why AND i told him the story HOW i saw the.
Speaker 2: FIGURE i, said that was a guardian. Angel that.
Speaker 3: Safe after, That seth was. Spooked he knew she'd seen, something And nancy knew that the figure next to him was no guardian.
Speaker 1: Angel after, that you can tell he was so nervous to do.
Speaker 3: Anything she wasn't about to start spying on, him so she, Waited i'm not.
Speaker 1: Checking your pockets and your cell phone records and finding a way going and following you. Leave i'm not doing. That i'm not checking o man like.
Speaker 2: That i'm got time for.
Speaker 3: That but she kept setting traps in their conversations just to see how he would.
Speaker 1: React AND i told HIM i kept having a reoccurring dream of him being with somebody.
Speaker 3: Else christmas was coming, up and that Year seth went all.
Speaker 1: Out every year we always said we would buy each other just one gift and we'd e splourge everything else on our. Daughter and we did that for the longest. Time, well This CHRISTMAS i got it was an iPod at the, time does anyone and he got it engraved him back with.
Speaker 2: A whole PARAGRAPH i love, YOU i love you TODAY i.
Speaker 1: Die i'm, like oh, WOW i got The nikes with the predominan that was inside the.
Speaker 2: SHOE i, mean he gave me so many.
Speaker 1: And it was expensive, gifts And i'm, like why'd you bind me so. Much he's, LIKE i just wanted To i'm like.
Speaker 3: Okay As Christmas day went, on she noticed That seth was acting.
Speaker 1: Strange he was so, quiet like he's a quiet person, anyway BUT i mean. Nothing after we did the gifts with one in my mother's house In, boston not a word driving, there not a word during, dinner not a word coming back.
Speaker 2: Home AND i was, like what's wrong with? You are you? Are you're? Sick what's? Wrong he's like. NOTHING i was, like something's, wrong what's the? Matter? Nothing.
Speaker 1: Okay we went to bed to a POINT i got.
Speaker 2: IF i SAID i can't take it. Anymore something is. Wrong what is wrong with?
Speaker 1: You he jumps out of the bed and he gets on his knees like he's going to, pray.
Speaker 2: And closes his eyes and, SAID i got another woman.
Speaker 3: Pregnant there it was the confession she'd been waiting, for but it was much bigger than she could have. Imagined the revelation was so overwhelming she passed.
Speaker 2: Out it was like somebody like boom right in my.
Speaker 1: CHEST i finally came to AND i just, said, WELL i guess you just have to.
Speaker 2: Go he, said just like.
Speaker 1: THAT i, said, yeah just like, that because you're not even gonna try to fight for. ME i, said how CAN i fight for SOMETHING i already? LOST i, said you can come get your stuff. Later for, now you have to, go like right, now because if you, DON'T i really don't think you're worth going to jail.
Speaker 2: For SO i really think you should.
Speaker 3: Leave right after he, Left nancy called her. Mom it was three, am but of course her mom still picked, up and.
Speaker 2: She's, LIKE i. CAN'T i really can't believe this because you would have never known.
Speaker 1: That and she loved him to. Death she said she deserves an. Oscar he really deserves an.
Speaker 3: Oscar the next, Morning seth was at their front. Door he needed to pack a, bag.
Speaker 1: And that's WHEN i, asked how long have you been seeing? Her he admitted to four. Years he, GOES i know you. KNEW i was, like how when you told me about That guardian? ANGEL i knew you.
Speaker 3: Knew Then nancy figured that the dating website she'd seen years earlier was connected to this, affair AND.
Speaker 2: I, said and who the hell Is Peter? Walker he, said it's nine of, me and LIKE i was supposed to? KNOW i was, like what he, said that's its real. NAME i, said, so what does that have to do with? You because you're not on the inside of. Man he, said that's my Favorite charita Okay.
Speaker 3: Si seth had been weaving a web of lies for their entire, marriage And nancy was just starting to unravel. It she told him to expect divorce papers On. Monday you, said you're divorcing.
Speaker 2: ME i, said, dude you're not getting. IT i told you got to. Go would you THINK i just wanted to, go spend a night somewhere and just come back. Home. No done.
Speaker 3: With that, conversation their marriage was. Over they'd been together for fifteen. Years nancy thought she'd heard the worst of, it but she'd soon realize his deception was far bigger than an.
Speaker 1: Affair, ki you eventually told me the whole, story AND i, said why? Me he, said as my uncle was, saying why not.
Speaker 3: You nancy's fifteen year marriage was blown apart when her husband confessed to getting another woman. Pregnant but that wasn't the whole. Story the real story started Before seth And nancy even. Met here's What seth.
Speaker 1: Confessed he, goes, WELL i came To america with a. VISA i was only supposed to stay for six. MONTHS i started a job AND i DECIDED i wanted to. Stay and he, Said marvin told him that you have to get your green, card and to get that he would have to get. Married AND i, said oh, okay he, goes well it was. YOU i, said it was, me LIKE i was. Chosen he said, Yeah so our relationship was set.
Speaker 2: Up from the, beginning AND i had no.
Speaker 3: Idea the Night nancy first Met seth at The Caribbean, club that wasn't. Fate it was. Orchestrated she'd been singled out By seth's, Uncle, marvin you, know the guy from, work and he Invited nancy there for a.
Speaker 1: Purpose his uncle had his eye on me and invited me to the. Club WHEN i came To buddy made sure his nephew was, there made sure his nephew danced.
Speaker 3: Me she felt lucky Meeting seth at the, Club but it turns out it was all planned for one.
Speaker 1: Goal he told me his uncle was, like she looks like she has. Money he's the ONE i put us together with this crappy green.
Speaker 3: Cot When nancy got, pregnant she Knew seth was still on his visa.
Speaker 2: BECAUSE i have to go, back And i'm, like, oh, NO i need to have the.
Speaker 1: Baby SO i said we can't get married thing BECAUSE i didn't know it goes, yeah we, can but that changes. EVERYTHING i just have to go and make it right at the immigration office with the certificate called a green.
Speaker 3: Car she was having a. BABY i was scared to lose set so back, Then nancy had jumped into action AND i.
Speaker 2: Was, like, okay so what do we need to.
Speaker 1: Do he was, like, well it's easier and faster if we have a, lawyer AND i said. Okay SO i spent ten thousand dollars of my own money to get the.
Speaker 3: Lawyer nancy saw the green card as another piece of paperwork they needed to get. Married she had no. Idea she was part of an elaborate.
Speaker 2: SCHEME i definitely feel LIKE i was singled.
Speaker 1: Out fortunately for, them it worked out And seth got his green. Car marvin was the mastermind of the whole.
Speaker 3: Thing and to add insult to, Injury seth had another reason why he Chose, nancy, because.
Speaker 1: Well you told me you couldn't have any children that fit into the, plan THAT i wouldn't have to have any connection with.
Speaker 2: YOU i, said, wow you guys are. Evil that is.
Speaker 3: Evil this revelation made her feel as if her whole relationship was, manufactured that she had been.
Speaker 2: USED i was just a pawn in the little.
Speaker 3: Game every day of their, marriage he welcomed her home with a glass of wine and a home cooked. Meal nobody had ever shown her love like this. Before If nancy was just a means to an, end why Did zeth father staying with her for fifteen? Years, Well nancy asked him that, directly.
Speaker 1: AND i, said, Okay, well we were married for fifteen, years SO i don't.
Speaker 2: Understand he, said, WELL i, Know i'm going.
Speaker 1: To hell BECAUSE i had to stay married to you a little bit longer because my girlfriend In jamaica wanted to come, here and for me to be able to bring her, HERE i had to show THAT i was economically fit to be able to bring her.
Speaker 3: Here nancy had assumed the affair was From seth's online dalliances As Peter, parker but it turns out he'd been with the other woman for their entire.
Speaker 2: Marriage he knew her In.
Speaker 1: JAMAICA i don't know if it was since they were kids or all their. Life i'm not, sure but he brought her here From.
Speaker 3: Jamaica seth finally confessed his double life To nancy because he was just in too. Deep it turns out the pregnancy he Told nancy about wasn't the first. ONE i had a whole other, family he.
Speaker 1: Told me that, day because she was pregnant, again so there were.
Speaker 2: Four she was pregnant with the. Fifth at that, point he couldn't take it.
Speaker 1: Anymore like do what he was doing financially with me and our. Daughter he said he had come to a point where it was just becoming too.
Speaker 3: Much all those Years seth claimed to be working over, time he was actually going over to his other house to his other. Children it Shattered nancy's.
Speaker 1: REALITY i felt LIKE i was living the life of The Truman. Show AND i still feel that. WAY i don't know what was real or. NOT i feel, like, oh cry BECAUSE i feel so. Stupid everything was? Fake who WAS i living? With are the walls? Real AM i going to push them? Down and we're in a television? Program what is?
Speaker 3: This their daughter was fourteen at the, time And nancy wanted to protect her from the reality of her father's. Dishonesty she tried to maintain a sense of stability for her and her. Daughter she moved to a new place while they figured out the, divorce divided their, assets and split up shared.
Speaker 2: LIVES i had moved to a smaller.
Speaker 1: TOWNHOUSE i was going back and forth to the home that we owned, together except THAT i BECAUSE i had to figure out WHAT i was bringing to my new.
Speaker 3: Home they were waiting to put the house on the market until the divorce was. Final in the, meantime clearing out the old house was a constant.
Speaker 1: Chore and one DAY i went during the day AND i went to open the door with my, key but someone on the other side of the door opened it for. Me someone's in my.
Speaker 2: House skid the living crafts out of. Me i'm, like who are? You he's, like who are? You i'm, like this is my.
Speaker 3: House Seth short sold their house without Telling. Nancy the person who'd opened the door was the new.
Speaker 1: OWNER i was only on the ded and of the, mortgage SO i GUESS i didn't need to be there for the sale of the.
Speaker 3: Home since it was a short. Sale there wasn't even a profit to divide in their, divorce even though she'd paid half the mortgage for a. Decade it felt like a slap in the. Face she couldn't move out on her own. Terms but to make matters, worse some of her most prized possessions were still sold with the house and she would never see them.
Speaker 1: Again my diaries in my ledgers THAT i been writing in SINCE i was twelve. Thirteen up until that, POINT i had like a memory box THAT i got my daught his baby shoes in. It it had hairbows of her, something little things that like memory, stuff ornaments that meant some you, know, babies First, christmas things like.
Speaker 2: That all of that was, gone and it was just.
Speaker 3: Devastating after they, Separated seth wasted no time stepping into his new. Life after, all he'd been building it for some.
Speaker 1: Time he has this whole other new family to go, to as if he didn't have to skip a beat While i'm scratching and scrounging to try to move and find out WHERE i can live best for me and my, daughter.
Speaker 2: And it just didn't seem.
Speaker 3: Fair nancy was left to pick up the. Pieces it all took an intense.
Speaker 2: TOLL i don't remember three years of. That after the, DOORS i was like in a.
Speaker 1: BOG i don't know any other way to explain, it AND i told my, MOTHER i lost like two or three years of my. LIFE i wouldn't even know what happened in between that BECAUSE i was just.
Speaker 3: Going her daughter got her through those difficult, ears.
Speaker 2: And she was always my. Priority.
Speaker 1: Always you kind of feel ashamed BECAUSE i started thinking to, myself how stupid COULD i?
Speaker 3: Be nancy is a, survivor.
Speaker 1: Even THOUGH i was considered ill with the twisted vow Haunt.
Speaker 2: MURMUR i was born a.
Speaker 3: Warrior it took years to recover emotionally and feel like herself, again and, now fifteen years post, divorce she's proud of how far she's, come.
Speaker 1: And after time went, ON i can talk about this without, crying without being upset like he.
Speaker 2: Doesn't deserve my. Teams that's not my.
Speaker 1: FAULT i did, survive AND i feel stronger now THAN i did.
Speaker 2: Before the resilience in. Me nobody can take that from.
Speaker 3: Me we end all of our episodes with the same, question why do you want to tell your?
Speaker 2: Story it is my story AND i want to tell.
Speaker 1: It maybe somebody's in it right, Now and Then i'm thinking about it because this happens too much.
Speaker 2: And it's somebody's, life you, KNOW.
Speaker 1: I have a lot to give from that party that can turn into a good thing.
Speaker 3: On the next episode Of. Betrayal AND i said to him on those last few days AS i was holding his hand in the, HOSPITAL i was just, Like, man you've got to go up. There you've got to talk to. Mom you've got to find the. Answers if you would like to reach out to The betrayal team or want to tell us Your betrayal, story email us At Betrayal pod at gmail dot. Com That's Betrayal pod at gmail dot. Com we're grateful for your. Support one way to show support is by subscribing to our show On Apple, podcasts and don't forget to rate and Review. Betrayal five star reviews go a long. WAY a big thank you to all of our. Listeners betrayal is a production Of Glass, podcasts a division Of Glass Entertainment group and partnership With iHeart. Podcasts the show is executive produced By Nancy glass And Jennifer, fason hosted and produced by Me Andrea, gunning written and produced By Monique, leboard also produced By Ben. Fetterman associate producers Are Kristin mercuriy And Caitlin. Golden Or iHeart team Is Ali perry And Jessica. Krinchech audio editing and mixing By matt Del, vecchio additional editing support From Tanner. Robbins betrayal's theme composed By Oliver. Baines music library provided By Mob music And for more podcasts From, iHeart visit The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts