Speaker 1: It's nine O gene one Old Engine with Jenny Garth and Tory Spelling.
Speaker 2: We have a special guest today. She played Christy Koons on the episode titled Rebound. Welcome actress Christy Lynn Smith. Hello, how are you great?
Speaker 3: You look so pretty?
Speaker 2: You look so great?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: You know what I see? I see like a woman living in her passion. Because I just was reading this thing about this information that you sent of for about your your film that you produced and co wrote.
Speaker 3: It's called Rated.
Speaker 4: It's called Rated.
Speaker 3: It sounds fascinating.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're amazing, by the way to even bring that up. These aren't progressives, so I would have to go so close to the things. I can see you better without them unless I'm reading. But back to what you.
Speaker 2: Just mentioned, it sounds so great. You guys are amazing concepts.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 4: It's based on our award winning short film that we We wrote it in twenty fourteen, We shot it in fifteen, premiered in twenty sixteen. This has been a ten year journey, you guys. Though it is called Rated, are ated, and we are still in post production. It's about a woman who's you know, in the crossroads of her life, little menopause, little overwhelmed mother of two. She wakes up with a yelp like star rating over her head.
Speaker 3: This is a nightmare, really nightmare. Is this a scary movie?
Speaker 4: No, not a scary movie. But I wake up with two and a half stars. Okay, my husband has five.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 4: And you know, it's really about her journey, about who she is as a person. This story is really about humanity and empathy and kindness. If we could all just have a little bit of more in the world right now. But it really unravels this beautiful story of this woman who I'm honored to play Maggie to, you know, play her again after ten years, and we're like this little engine that could. It's a ten year journey, though, I mean to get a movie made. And we've had a couple of Guardian Angels that saw the short over COVID. We put it on Vimeo on demand, and this producer, Mark Pellington reached out and said, do you guys have anything you know beyond the short? This is the best short I've ever seen. I mean, you know, take it with a grain of salt, but it's one of my passions that I that one of my passion projects that I did ten years ago. I would love to say, you guys, the short.
Speaker 3: You need to see that, I want to see it.
Speaker 4: I will send it to a team.
Speaker 2: Talk about signs.
Speaker 4: That's like it was crazy right, meant to be well, and it's been a journey. So we had to get financing, which is not easy. A lot of eggs are in the basket of our own and it's a low budget indie movie that we shot in Oklahoma and it's in post. So the star like rating if you could imagine, you know, like floating over your head.
Speaker 3: Yes I can. Yeah, I think we all can relate to that fear.
Speaker 4: You know. It's just so relevant to what we're going through with our world right now. And you know, if you were to ask yourself, how many stars would I have on any given day? It really puts us in a position to say, wow, wait a minute, how can I be kinder? How can I be gentler with myself and others? Because we really don't know what's going on with any of us at any given day.
Speaker 1: So are the stars based on kindness and being a good human? Are they based on like your appearance and your.
Speaker 4: Nothing nothing but who you are? As a person.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, that is not something I wish this was real.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 3: We need like a yelp for humans.
Speaker 4: Well, there was something that actually happened many years ago. There's you know, there's a rating system and actually I believe it's China, don't quote me or where John read about this many many years ago, where there is a rating system and you can get points deducted for applications or loans. It's a really interesting concept. And you know, our goal is that the whole world gets to see this movie. So right now we're finishing post production with the stars. There's I think twelve hundred visual effects, which is almost as many as a Marvel movie.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 3: On a tiny budget, wow.
Speaker 4: And a very little budget. We're like, we're like little baty people here.
Speaker 1: Know well, it sounds like such an amazing, like fulfilling I know, Tory and I are both just so happy for you to keep it going, Like to finish something. What an accomplishment?
Speaker 4: Yes, you know, that's that's the thing.
Speaker 5: I mean.
Speaker 4: John's chugging away. We have our little production thing here in this in our garage. I'm in my garage right now. I oh, mine recognize the self tape backdrop here, you.
Speaker 1: Know, can we go back and talk about your time on nine or two and oh.
Speaker 4: All right, gosh, yes, but thank you so much for just honoring that journey for me. It's it's been quite a journey. So thanks, happy for you.
Speaker 2: Well, we're so excited for you. And let us know when how.
Speaker 3: We can help send us the link to and support.
Speaker 4: I will absolutely as you know, alumni of.
Speaker 2: So we can say when when it becomes a massive hit.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, thank you. You guys are so sweet. It means so much, you know, I really appreciate that. So nine o two and.
Speaker 3: Oh, how well do you remember your time there?
Speaker 2: First?
Speaker 3: Start with that because it was a long time ago.
Speaker 4: It was so long ago, so I will say this is very funny. So I auditioned multiple times for the show. You know, it's a big deal toy to be on a spelling show back you know, in the nineties, right, I mean, it's an honor. I auditioned many times, and I was trying to remember how many times. I have a little journal from nineteen ninety two. When I moved out to Los Angeles in nineteen ninety two, I actually have a. It was dated October. I mean, look at those. Christy Lynd Smith Lussy. October thirty first, nineteen ninety two is when I moved to LA Is that crazy? There's a really sweet little, you know, thing about following my dreams and I'm going to miss my mom and it was really sweet. I read it, I know, Oh.
Speaker 2: My gosh, and it says, who'd you audition for?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: Character?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, let me get to the page. I know, right, But I think I think I really aligned with Christy Koontz because I had just gotten engaged in June. I think we shot this maybe in the fall, right, because it aired in January sounds right. So I got married June twenty seventh, nineteen ninety eight. This show aired, I believe it was, I want to say January or February, so we must have been filming in the fall. And I got proposed June twenty seven, nineteen ninety seven, So I was right in the middle of getting married, right and being scared to get married. And this is what this character is going through, which is very interesting to me. I'm sorry, I'm so excited. I think I had too MUCHO long tea today. Am I so hyper?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 3: You're bringing the energy. It's quite real. By the way, we love your enthusiasm.
Speaker 4: This is all yeay, okay, Well, I will say that the one that I booked, and it has in a Highlight nine two and zero producer session, it was do you want to know what number audition this was? Since I was, I guess in the book number two hundred and twenty nine of Commercials, Films and TV. You kept track in the beginning, but it just then I stopped because it was too depressing, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, you made it to two hundred and what.
Speaker 4: Two hundred and twenty nine was the one that I booked?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, this is such a good story.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 4: So right before on two twenty two, I was brought in for a role named Emma.
Speaker 3: Who's that Emma Cawfield? No, that was just his name. No.
Speaker 2: I started to say the same thing.
Speaker 3: No, Angel boris Emma Emma.
Speaker 4: Okay, but auditioned for that.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you didn't get that, Okay.
Speaker 4: I like my part. I want you guys, it's really kind of cute.
Speaker 2: That would have been an interesting take because you would have been Brandon's.
Speaker 3: Tight because of Kelly anyway.
Speaker 4: No, but I thought this was is this is this so cheesy that I'm sharing this?
Speaker 2: Oh no, fantastic?
Speaker 4: Really okay, okay, let's see here. I know there was another one. Oh there we go nine just as callback Vicki huff doesn't say the character on that particular one. It was very sporadic. I would list the show, the casting director, and then you know, a lot of feedback would say like great actress, not the girl. Yes, we've all been.
Speaker 2: Run in a different direction, right right right.
Speaker 4: But I thought this was cute that it did say when I booked it, let's see, it had a little, a little tidbit. Let me see here. Oh, okay, went great nine O two one zero producers went great, booked with a big old book right there.
Speaker 3: Whoa.
Speaker 4: So that was cute. And then I ended up after that doing the other show Seventh Heaven and Charmed. So your dad was good to me. I was really sweet.
Speaker 2: He just yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: And auditioning, I just remember the room being very crowded. Do you remember self tapes were not happening back then.
Speaker 6: It was five.
Speaker 3: I remember that room.
Speaker 4: I remember that room.
Speaker 2: It was big.
Speaker 4: There was a lot of producers.
Speaker 3: A lot of men in that room.
Speaker 4: A lot of men, and I would always get little butterflies before I auditioned for anything, or I still do. I got butterflies even being with you today, because I just I don't know, I get I I just call it excitement.
Speaker 2: That's yeah. It's a good thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The show itself, I mean I rewatched it.
Speaker 3: What did you think.
Speaker 4: I loved it because.
Speaker 1: You mostly worked with the character of Steve played by Ian right, right, But what do you remember from that day or days whatever it was?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean we had a little bit you and I when I thought that was really cute. Actually, when do you want me to start in the beginning, like in order of the scenes or.
Speaker 1: No, whatever whatever stood out to you, Okay, it floats your boat.
Speaker 4: Who would you meet first?
Speaker 2: Did you actually meet Ian since you were playing off of him or no?
Speaker 4: I don't remember who I met first, but I remember them being lovely. Everyone was lovely on I mean, anyone that I met. I remember being just very welcoming, which was really sweet coming in. It's hard to come in as a guest player sometimes I shit is and I felt very welcomed and warm. I don't know, Maybe I don't know I just I felt.
Speaker 3: Well, that's good news. Yeah, we love hearing that.
Speaker 4: And the scenes when I rewatched them, you know, it resonates even now that it was so in line with what I was going through.
Speaker 3: That is wild.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is, because Steve says, and I wrote it down. Who's to say, what makes you happy at twenty three is going to keep you happy at thirty three.
Speaker 3: That's terrifying when you're about to get married.
Speaker 2: Or forty three or fifty three, or.
Speaker 4: It was that really sweet scene. I'm trying that gorgeous wedding dress and he's just doing this. You know, he's dealing with his own issues obviously, right, but he's saying these things that are affecting christ.
Speaker 3: You're getting what we're just saying because.
Speaker 4: I play Christy and Christy.
Speaker 1: But the similarities are just too much much.
Speaker 2: Sorry? Did you tell them the story that you were getting married like when you audition.
Speaker 4: For I don't think so.
Speaker 2: It's so like uncannt like unbelievable, like right, I don't.
Speaker 4: I probably would have been too nervous to say anything, you know like that.
Speaker 3: But can I ask you a question? Are you still married to the man you married?
Speaker 5: Then?
Speaker 1: I am Okay, congrats, thank you. Second question is what when you were in that moment and he was saying that line that you would just read to us, did you did that scare you? And then also did that scare you to get married or did that creep into your mind at all? And then also, now what do you think about that?
Speaker 4: Okay? I think I was very young at the time. So when I was twenty seven when I shot this, I got married at twenty eight. Looking back, I was like, I was a baby getting married. I felt. Now looking back, I'm thinking, well, I was really young. But John and I have been so close for so long. We met each other in acting class back in Florida. He moved out a year before me. We became roommates. Yes, we were. I was like, I was like Chrissy from Three's Company, Me and three guys, and we were always there for each other. Long story short. I went away to work and when I came back, he asked me to be his girlfriend. He actually proposed three times. I turned him down. The first two one was water scuba diving and I swam away like no, but with bubbles. The second time he was on the beach at the same location. And I was getting bit by bugs and I ran down the beach. And then the third was in La Joya. He got on a rock where we had like hell litt kissy time. Did I say kissy time?
Speaker 3: You said kissy time?
Speaker 4: I like that and I said yes. And then so to cut back to your question, I don't think it resonated at the time. I think I was so involved in Chris Stycones nine two to zero, doing a good job, working very method actor myself. And but I'm sure it creeped in unsubconsciously, and you know.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: Steve also says, you know, who needs a commitment at this age? You know, certainly not me? I say, you know, and a very young voice. I don't. You know what's interesting? I do feel like my voice has changed, Yeah, in my olden age. What is up with that?
Speaker 3: I think that that happens for people.
Speaker 1: I think that like you, you tap into like a voice that resonates with like your true, your truth, you know, and that is less like HI, maybe less like nervous. That kind of uncertainty is gone in your voice as you get older.
Speaker 2: It's happened to all of us.
Speaker 4: Right, I mean, we were babies, little girl.
Speaker 3: Babies, babies, little baby people.
Speaker 4: I do feel like when I hear my voice, it hasn't quite. It hasn't quite how do I I know what you're saying, but almost like a it hasn't settled into my you know, into my soul in a way. My voice, yeah, current voice, No back then, thirty years ago. When I hear my voice now, I mean, I'm just hyper. So that's christy. People ask if I drink coffee, I'm like, no, this.
Speaker 5: Is just me.
Speaker 3: Just tea, just teek tee.
Speaker 4: I think I did have a little too much oolong tea today, but it'll hit you the tea, the tea, I think it. But I think I wasn't. I don't think it resonated at the time, but I did. Leading up to the wedding with John, I think I I was nervous. I was even nervous walking down the aisle. I think because your whole life is flashing before you of what is this? And and but we're best friends, you know, we've been very I don't know how long that is.
Speaker 1: No, you have to remember the number, because that I know I'm trying to do and I can't.
Speaker 3: Nineteen ninety eight eight.
Speaker 4: And then I am twenty six year.
Speaker 1: Seven, twenty six, twenty seven years, twenty seven. I think that's it because my daughter was born in ninety seven. She's twenty eight.
Speaker 4: Now, Oh wow, that's a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've been married a long time. How do you keep it going?
Speaker 4: You know, marriage is ninety how do you keep the kissy?
Speaker 5: Time?
Speaker 2: A lot?
Speaker 3: Good one?
Speaker 4: You know, I mean it. I think we both know that marriage does change. But we are each other's biggest supporter. We create together art now but also babies together. But we're always there for each other. We always have each other's back no matter what. And we've been through a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a long time.
Speaker 4: Fly time, and we both you know, we're both growing up. And I think, where did I hear this? I don't know, maybe I read it. But it's really about being each other's best friend, I think. And I feel like even Christine Harry seemed like they really cared about each other, but they were friends, you know. And I think friendship is important because people do change and just getting older and having kids, and you know, the time that we get to spend with one another, I think kindness goes a little long way too, you know. In relationships, whether it's a partner or a friend or a coworker, and just giving each other a break on where they are in the moment.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I feel like it's hard to say.
Speaker 2: What, why?
Speaker 4: How we you know, are still together. I think love has a lot to do with it, but also respect for one another.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you just summed it up like those are all the good qualities of a relationship, and you know, you go in and out of them, you lose sight of them, you return to them, and then that's how you're growing.
Speaker 3: You're so inspiring. I don't think to her, she's.
Speaker 2: Just like I could listen to you speak all day.
Speaker 4: I Oh my gosh, I feel like I'm talking too much.
Speaker 3: So no, this is your interview. What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: This is about you?
Speaker 6: Oh wait?
Speaker 2: What signs are you? Guys? Sorry? I don't know.
Speaker 4: Okay, what science? Here we go. Okay, I'm a Gemini. Okay, so June third, what about you?
Speaker 2: I'm a Taurus Jennys and Aries. Okay, my daughter is a Gemini.
Speaker 4: What's her birthday?
Speaker 2: June ninth?
Speaker 4: June ninth? So does she have two personalities? Like she? Can you really bubbly? And then also be like a hermit in her room.
Speaker 2: Those weren't the wording so I was going to use.
Speaker 3: But she's still teenager.
Speaker 2: Yeah, super kind thinks about everyone, does you know, and then has the like don't mess with me kind of really inspirational, strong personality that I don't have and I look up to.
Speaker 4: Actually, but yeah, amazing. No, I just like, I feel like I'm very energetic and very I love people. But then I can go my other gemini.
Speaker 1: My husband's a Gemini, so I can one hundred percent relate to what you're saying.
Speaker 4: And then I get really Probably after this I'll be like, oh my god, I'm so tired. You know, I need to take a social break because I give. I try to give all of myself when when I'm with people, but then you have to I need self care as well, and I think, and congratulations, by the way, on your amazing book tour. I just went on Instagram recently. I've tried to cleanse myself a little bit, but then I good idea just to see what you both were up to, and congratulations on your book and congratulations on your podcast, and just you know, I just wanted to say just thank you. For inviting me. So I know we're not done, but I just wanted to get that.
Speaker 3: Out so nice. Thank you very much, of course.
Speaker 2: Okay, sorry, back to John. Okay, what is John? Sorry?
Speaker 4: John?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: John is a scorpio?
Speaker 2: November?
Speaker 4: What of what?
Speaker 2: November?
Speaker 4: What? Oh? Twelve?
Speaker 2: My ex is a scorpio.
Speaker 1: Oh no, but maybe maybe her sign lines up better with a scorpio.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and my mom is a scorpio too.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 3: You grew up with it, you know how to handle it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think ish.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, I think I don't know. My kids are Pisces and.
Speaker 2: Capricorn, both grade signs. Yeah, but you guys were both. I think both partners have to be completely invested in knowing there's highs and lows and be able to work through that because there's so much love and we all change and right, we're not going to be the person at the core who you fell in love with, but you know we're growing, We grow and changed. Last question, you did you just directed your first movie? Correct?
Speaker 4: I directed a short film, Yes, that I wrote, and so I guess I can call myself a filmmaker now, which is great.
Speaker 3: But it was done at all. Yeah, written directed this.
Speaker 4: Was happening at the same time.
Speaker 2: So John have all trades.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know what, someone really awesome, Mark Deplas said on on Instagram. Here I said I'm taking a break. But a couple years ago, I think it was at a film festival and said, the Calvary's not coming, meaning doesn't matter where we are at our career, right on a series making tons of money, they're still not coming. So if you want to be in this industry, you need to create your own stuff. And so I wrote a short film. It actually spawned out of a bad birthday, I will say, and I just started writing. Then I worked with this screenplay Dula. He's fantastic and just improving and writing and it turned into a script. It wasn't my intention at first. I was just writing, you know, like Shame of Consciousness, and I thought this might be a really fun idea, and then it turned into a solid short film. And then I go, wait a minute, I need to make this. I need to star in this. And my husband said, well, do you want me to direct it? And I go, you know what I need to do this? Yeah, you need more like female directors and writers and producers. And so I'm on the film festival journey, meaning I just started submitting fingers crossed that I will have a really good premiere.
Speaker 3: Can you say, does links? I need to see this too?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, okay, I want you to. Well, if it's in LA, i'd rather invite you to the premiere, do you know what I mean? I'd rather, but I want to send you a link to the other short for sure, but maybe let me see, let me see.
Speaker 3: You think about.
Speaker 4: It's up to you, right thing, well, because no one has seen it yet.
Speaker 3: Oh, when you're ready enough, when you're ready, Yeah, I.
Speaker 4: Mean people have seen it, but I'm submitting, so I'm I'm it's kind of close to my heart right now. I don't know. I'm a little nervous to send it, you know what I mean. But it's called Everyone Has Issues. Oh we'll cut back to you know, everyone has Issues dot dot dot basically. So it's about relationships. It has a quirky spin to it, a little bit of like Lars and the Real Girl. So it's about a woman trying to connect with her n usual new partner, George. That's all I want to say. That's all I want to say. And so I'm really hoping that it gets It's a really fantastic world premiere. Worst case scenario, let's say it doesn't do as well as rated for some reason. Because Raid had played sixty film festivals and won twenty three awards, so it's up here. We can't compare other work though, to new work. We just can't. Every piece of art is a different living being, in my opinion. So if let's just say film festivals they love it or they don't get in, I'll put it online or maybe I'll distribute it on short TV or other short film played or something. I don't know. I just want to keep making art, and I'm working on a screenplay about three generations coming together for a femial tragedy. I need to find a really good older actress to play my mom, and then my daughter would play my daughter, hopefully if she's not too busy. She's going to college in the fall.
Speaker 1: But congratulations, ah, thank you, well, it seems like your life is full of creativity and joy like I don't know.
Speaker 3: Don't you feel just so happy for her tour?
Speaker 2: I truly do, And you just seem like a genuine kind person, and good things happen for people like that, and you lost me a Gemini because I I got nervous. There's another sign to you.
Speaker 4: Oh no, no, you know what I think. I think the sign doesn't make the person. Just because the day I was born doesn't mean that if you've had if someone's had a bad experience with a certain sign, doesn't mean that the next person you meet might be that person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because there's all other things involved, Like, you're right, you know all the other parts of what makes a sign a sign? What is it?
Speaker 3: Tori? You know more about it than me, Like you're rising, You're.
Speaker 2: Right, and now they say you're rising signs more authentically you I don't know. Yeah, well, you're right. This was a lovely conversation the three of us. This was amazing. Please let us know when everything is ready and comes out.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I will you know. It's funny I ran into I mean more about nine too. And oh the scene with the eggs, the eggs scene. I think I must have gone through dozens of eggs when we were bashing those eggs, and Christy Koons is a little like overwhelmed with the with the eggs and saying, you know, he's so great and he's so good to me, and that was that was a funny moment that I remember having to smash all those eggs. I mean, I feel like we need to talk more about nine to two and O we're talking about life. But I mean, it's you know, it's it's so lovely that you guys are just so supportive and amazing women. I think that's you know.
Speaker 3: We're rooting for you all the way.
Speaker 5: Sweet.
Speaker 4: You know it's funny. I ran into Jason in twenty sixteen for some reason. We were at a party about a film festival and I asked him to take a picture. He was the kindest, most lovely human. So I went on my phone to try to find this picture yesterday and I printed it and I thought it was going to come out like a little, tiny little picture.
Speaker 3: It was like eight by ten.
Speaker 4: It is the biggest.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's such a great picture.
Speaker 4: But not only one. I had two and printed.
Speaker 3: Got time to frame those.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: We loved talking to you. Your delight and inspiring to keep chasing your dreams and never give up. And look what's happening for you. It's it's all coming together.
Speaker 4: That's exes thus are so sweet I so appreciate.
Speaker 2: Just the full circle moment. So this is awesome.
Speaker 3: We love touching face with you again in life.
Speaker 4: Oh you're so sweet. I really appreciate it. I think I've I think I think I've ran into you a couple of times, Tori, but I was too shy to say hi.
Speaker 3: No, yes, what?
Speaker 4: Maybe I think at like a Christmas Christmas like when the kids were little with Santa. I think there's like a little Christmasy Santa thing. Maybe I don't know. I think it was like years ago.
Speaker 2: Was it like a gifting thing like in different brands and there's Santa, yes, yes, yes, Oh for Mark Communications, I think so yes. Was it the Ondas Hotel?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: I don't Oh, I don't know, I remember Santa. I'm not sure Santa was there, but Santa. But next I'm going to say hi.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, there you go. Please always say hi to us.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, I will, I will.
Speaker 1: Well all the best with your films. Could look at the festivals.
Speaker 3: You're going to do great.
Speaker 4: Oh, thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Really good talking to you.
Speaker 4: Oh, nice talking to you both too. Bye, all right bye.
Speaker 5: Yeah,