Speaker 1: Hey, hey, hey, I'm tired.
Speaker 2: How are you now on this beautiful spring day?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, can you be tired? I spent the afternoon with both of my parents at the same time. I was like, is this what it feels like to be an only child? I don't like it. Like I was literally sitting between them and I was like, oh mg, oh so, but you know what I did the impossible. I got them both on the same page as it relates to retirement and estate planning. I couldn't believe it. I'm like, I am a miracle worker.
Speaker 2: Wow, that is an achievement.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, because what happened was so, hey, guys, I'm sorry, I'm Tiffany.
Speaker 2: I'm not sorry, but I'm Dandy and we are brown and we really worked on that intro. You guys impressed.
Speaker 1: My dad was like, hey, there's this this app ways w a Z you know, the the GPS app ways ways? And then also too, there's this app. My sister was telling him about some stock that she bought. They just had IPO drop on Friday, and she just thought it was a good stock and I like it too, And so she was telling him. Because my dad has been an investor for a long time. He just is not like an investor on his phone, so he didn't know, like, wait, there's like apps that you can do on your phone. And he was like, come to the house tomorrow. Your sister tried to explain it to me, but she wasn't clear. You're a business woman, I'm sure you'll make it better. I'm like, oh my god, yes, And you know when you get summoned, do you have to count? So when I came, the living room was all set up for like a guest. I was like, who's coming. He's like, you sit right here. He's liked, wait, let me wake your mother. She told me. She told me to wait. When you got here, I said, oh, what's happening? Like usually this kind of thing doesn't end well. It usually like we need you to cut your hair, or where's my grandchild? Or how come you're not married? So it was a weird, you know, but it was really pleasant and I was like, oh wait, I'm not in trouble for the first time. So first they made them maybe show them how to get the robin hood app there from me while I look at my mother like, ma'am, you've never bought like a whiff of a stock and she says like, I want to try it. I'm like, oh my god. So I didn't know that they didn't have online banking, so we had to go back five steps just to get to the one step. After an hour and a half, they were both up and running on Robinhood and then they're like, wait before you leave, we heard that there's GPS available on your phone. I'm like, who are you people? So another thirty minutes later, I had to teach them. I had to download ways on their phone and teach them how to how do you use it? And I thought, you know what, this is a good time because my mom, you know, is wanting to retire and my dad had My dad is a is a c what was a c PA and a CFO, and so he had a whole financial plan set aside for them. But my mom actually wants to retire a year earlier and she's pretty determined. So because of that, they work on the same financial page. And so she was like, come and like, you know, help daddy, like understand that I don't want to go back to work. And so I talked to them about it. Today. I talked to them, I'm about state planning. And honestly it was great, Like it was at the end and they were all excited and giddy and they're like, I feel like we had like a great technology lesson. I was like, Oh, while you're feeling happy, you know, I spoke to an state planner. I'm a state attorney and I'd love for her to come by so we can talk about long term healthcare. We could talk about your insurance, we could talk about you know, your will and updating it. And my dad said okay, and I said also too. You know, mommy has a new retirement expert that she's working with as far as her financis. He's a CFP financial advisor, but he specializes in a baby boomer is transitioning into retirement. And I was like, Daddy, you really, I really want you to come to the next meeting. And he said, okay, I'm available on you know, Monday, Tuesday. Meanwhile, you're available Sunday to Sunday you're retired. But he wasn't.
Speaker 2: He didn't know that she was talking to this planner.
Speaker 1: He was like not happy because, like I said, my dad is really sad. I mean, I got all of my financial acumen from him. All of my sisters did, and so he's really savvy. He's planned in retirement but based upon his timeline. But you know, I think that he was just kind of like, you're cheating on me with this financial planner, you know. Yeah, but he was in a good mood, so I was like, yes, let me slip this in. And so I'm happy because he was like yes to both things, to the lawyer and to the financial planner. And so I feel really good because my dad is in his seventies, you know, and it just makes me concern that there will still says Tiffany age six belongs to uncle Tony, should we pass away.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, my dad texted me the day after text day and is like, how do you file an extension? Oh god, oh, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Don't you just worry about them?
Speaker 2: So I am like so worried. But also, you know, I have distance on my side here because my dad is in Atlanta. My baby brother is in Atlanta. So actually shout out to my little brother because he's usually tasked with like dad duty, like you know, computer tech support and things like that. Taxes was supposed to be my thing, and I was kind of I was like dad, here's all the resources, here's how you file. You should be able to file for free. There's so much work with my dad because he's got this. I think, like a lot of people who grew up in like high poverty areas. You know, he grew up in Atlanta, there is just like this total distrust of the government and of financial institutions. And this is the man who I witnessed go to a bank. He stood in line for fifteen minutes outside of a bank on a Saturday to deposit some cash that he had gotten from a job. He deposited the cash and then he left and went to ATM and took out some money.
Speaker 1: Why.
Speaker 2: I was like, why, Dad, why you wait and wait in line just to take the money out at the ATM? He was like, I thought about it. I didn't want them having that much of my money. And I changed my mind.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, but why. And I'm trying to explain how FDIC insurance works. You know, up to two hundred and fifty thousand dollars of your money. That's hell that a bank account is entirely insured by the government. You will not lose it even if the bank fails. He doesn't want to hear it. He just has this. You know, he is the kind of person who, and I've confirmed this, just keeps cash rolled up in his sock like his piggy bang. His whole four one k is like basically just stuffed in corners of the I'm like, what if the house burns down? But he doesn't care, you know he And it's so frustrating to me because now I'm I feel like I'm more aware now and I need to be doing more to help him. But like he almost needs like a financial psychologist, like to undo all the wiring and the thought process around money. And it was the same way with his taxes. He's thinking, well, if I wait till the last minute, Uncle Sam won't get my money. I'm like, Dad, you're not going to owe any money because I know what you made last You're gonna get a refund.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So you're literally holding back. It's crazy. When my mom told me, you know, I don't think I would go with that with that financial advisor, because you know he wants to well, she didn't understand that he was opening up basically a new account because the financial advisor obviously not keeping your money with your old financial advisor. And She's like, he asked for my sole security number. I said, no way. I'm like, Mommy, like, when you're opening up a new if you just go to like just say Bank of America or Wells Spargo and you're opening up a checking account, they're gonna want your sold security numbers. The government is keeping track of how your money is moving. I was like, it's just a new bank account, Like that's normal. She was like, are you certain. I'm like, ah, pretty sure. And I was thinking to myself, Oh, one day I'm gonna be old like this. I'm like, I'm old like this now. I tell Supergirl, Girl Supergirl, help me with this TV put on. I've already become them.
Speaker 2: But financially though, it's yes, it's it's difficult. Like it's one thing teaching him how to use the internet, it's another thing convincing him that, like Uncle Sam is not out to get you, at least not you, not little you know, not my dad, other people, sure, but not you. It's tough and I still haven't figured out, like what day is it. It's been a couple of weeks now, and I'm like, oh, I gotta get check in with dad about his taxes. I don't know what he's done.
Speaker 1: Anyway, parenting exactly, parent reverse parenting, but you know what it's it's it makes you like really grateful that of the novels that you do have, because you know, if I didn't know, then I couldn't I couldn't share it with them. I think that somebody because I did a video about this on Instagram about you know, seeing my parents today and helping them, and someone said, what if you don't what if your parents don't have much? I said, then you especially need to have this conversation with them, especially especially so it's just something that you know, you know that if you if you guys are, if you have older parents, you definitely want to sit down with them at least start to have the conversation. It's not you're not going to fix it all in one conversation, but you definitely want to sit down and start to open up the doors, especially if you have brown parents. You know, money and talking to your kids about money is typically not part of our cultural norms, but you want to start to make it normal.
Speaker 2: And you also, here's another thing to think about is they may not want to come to you they may be embarrassed and they may not want to admit that they have issues. So it's almost more important for you to initiate, not even just you don't have to make it the big dramatic. Let's sit down and talk about your financial picture. But I don't know, ask them what you know, what are your monthly expenses like? And how are you paying your bills? And hey, what are you thinking about doing? What the house? You know, so many parents or a lot of older people may feel like they should have everything figured out, and they may be doing something that's not actually in their best financial interests, but they may not realize it until someone asks them or they bring it up. And like, you know, like one small thing you may find just leads to so many other, you know, larger things like I'll give you another dad example, and I love my dad, but he's he's the best example of this. He recently had decided he was going to do like he does a new career shift. He's just like a rolling stone, you know, it's always worked for him. Just have different Like he's just a hustler. He's always been a hustler. My dad's always had at least three to four different hustles happening at a given time, and recently he was going to change his hustle and he wanted to go into business as a home inspector because of the time he was working in construction, and all the guys that, you know, all the guys on the job, were talking about how much more money home inspectors make, how it's easy money. You just go to a house and open a few doors and you pocket like, you know, a few hundred bucks. And he thought this was like a golden ticket. And he started looking online apparently all this research on these for profit colleges, these for profit trade schools that have you know, certificates and home inspection or whatever, and they're like thousands of dollars. But he didn't tell me that. I just happened to ask him about something about his construction business, like you know, just trying to small talk, and then he led me into this whole conversation and he was getting ready to sign up for one of these like trade schools, to pay to pay for a course that he didn't really need to get certified as an inspector. And then I did my own research, and I'm like, Dad, here's what it really takes to become a home inspector, and it's a whole different thing than what you thought it was. And please, dear God, don't spend any money on the internet without asking me first, because you are a high high fraud risk. My friend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, geez yeah, oh yeah. Parents, But you have to dissess the thing. I mean, if you, if you have a relationship with your parents, it's really important that, especially as they get older, you start to you know, normalize these kind of conversations with them, because it's easy as they get older, no matter how sharp your parents were when you were younger, it's easier for them to be taken advantage of as they get older. Yeah, and you don't you know, you don't want that because a lot of times, you know, your parents get lonely, and so I try to make my way, you know, call them and check in on them, and so that way they know that if they do have questions. I'm just so glad that you know, my mom like she just because I wouldn't have known. She just was like, let me call my daughter. She's the financial person, you know. So but you know, she could have done this on her own and been taken advantage of and so.
Speaker 2: Especially retirement age. You know, all these financial planners who can make so much money because they know people retiring had these big four oh one K accounts, Yes, and they need to transfer them and roll them over. And yes, when you roll them over into an you know, a regular IRA, financial planners can put you in investments that they make lucrative backbacks off of. And that's that's the whole reason why this new Department of Labor rule was, you know, Obama, the Obama administration was trying to pass this new Department of Labor rule called the Fiduciary Rule, which was gonna make it so that any financial planner working with people to help them plan for retirement would have to work in their best interests. And it was going to stop It was supposedly going to stop financial planners from doing exactly that, like taking retirees uh investments, their their nest eggs and investing them into funds that directly, you know, provided revenue to the financial planner. And then of course Trump came into power, and now who knows where this law even, I don't even know if it's even passed yet, but it's yeah, it's they're you know, they have a lot of funds and these scammers they know it. Not just scammers. But that reminds me of Tanya. Tanya Rapely, she's the mythab Finance. She has a new book coming out. I was talking to her about coming on the show soon, but then I saw on Twitter recently she tweeted that her mom, you know has it, has a house that's nearly paid off and some real estate investor had offered her a certain amount of money for the house, and her mom came to Tanya and asked her if she thought it was a good deal, and Tanya's like, no, get your own appraisal. And the helm appraised for twice what the guy was asking for twice. But they're sniffing around. They're like, oh, yes, these old people don't know what they're sitting on the market is up. Let me see if I can get a sucker. And it's scary.
Speaker 1: So it is, honestly, Wow.
Speaker 2: Well I wanted to talk about did you hear about this whole Zell controversy? Do you know what Zell is?
Speaker 1: Yeah? If I use it for Wells Fargo uses them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So Zell basically was this the big banks got together and decided man Venmo, you know this pavement app that makes it so easy for people to send money to each other is like stealing money from us, basically taking a lot of potential revenue for us. So they got together and agreed to start with zel z E L E. So a lot of big banks like Wells Fargo, Bank of America, I think even ally maybe Chase. A lot of the big banks now allow you to very easily send money from bank to bank through zell. What's happening though, is people are realizing so some people are using zel to transfer payments to like an online ticket seller if you're trying to buy you know, concert tickets or you're trying to buy something off Craigslist and you want to send money to whoever. And what's happening is some people are getting their money stolen by fraudsters. So you think you're giving money for something, and yet you're never getting what you paid for, and the person disappears, and then they want to call their bank and say I did this through zell am I covered. You're actually not protected if you're the one initiating the transaction, like if you're the one sending money through Zell, to the bad person, to the hacker, to the fraudster, whoever you're in that trend, that fraud is not covered. The only one that is covered is if like a fraudster hacks their way into your account through Zell or whatever and takes your money that way, and it's caused all this like confusion and uproar. So I just wanted to let everyone know. If you're using Zel, think of it like you're giving a twenty dollars bill, like actual cash money to someone. You wouldn't send that money put in an envelope, stick it in the mail, and send it to a random person, but you would hand it to a person that you know, like personally, Like if I knew Tiffany, Hey, there's twenty bucks for the dinner that you know we split last night, I would do that. You never want to use Zel to send it to someone who you don't know, so an online seller or I don't know, even even like a bill, like if someone's trying to charge you for some service like a moving company or something, don't use Zel because you won't be covered. You won't be covered if they end up being a fraudster. Again, the only thing that you're covered for is like if someone hacks into your count through zell.
Speaker 1: It's just like, you know, digital scams are on the rise and you have to be mindful. That's why I said, you want to especially be careful with your older parents, but you just have to be mindful. No one is exempt from being scammed on the internet.
Speaker 2: I know it feels like I'm getting scammed every day because money is draining out of my account and putting into my house.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, don't even like we're finally just like we got to assess this person. But this LED thing, it is like an animal, all of it. So it's to the point now where honestly Superman is going to take a class. Our project manager was like, you know, I've always wanted to be certified to He's going to take the class too, because you know Superman does that would not lead, but he does like I don't know, super stuff for the city.
Speaker 2: He does like house stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, it's like as a job. But he's just never been like certified in like lead removal. So they're both going to now that they have a romance going on because him and our project manager, oh my gosh, like we love the project manager and his wife. They're like, amazing, who's the designer, and so they're like our real friends now, and so they're like, you know, let's just take the lead removal class. It's three hours and because we don't have that much honestly, it's just some chemical thing that you painted on paint on the lead, covered with plastic and then peel it off. And so instead of because he's with paint, yeah, it's in the paint because of the age of the house, like it's been painted over, like you know, certain parts of the would have been painted over over and over again, and during certain periods in history, like you know, the seventies or sixties or the forties or whatever. Because the house was built in nineteen twenty, lead paint was fine and it leads through the paint on top, and so there are certain areas of the house where that's happened. So we're going to remove it. And people were charging we're trying to charge upwards of thirty thousand dollars and.
Speaker 2: That was like one thousand dollars yes.
Speaker 1: Because they were like, oh, well, you know, you guys have a lot of wood in here. We're like, well, like yeah, but all of it doesn't have lead, and it just mean that was like the that was someone who had not seen the house. That was someone who was just kind of like reading the report. It was like it couldn't be anywhere upwards to eight thirty thousand dollars. And I was just like, you know what. And then we actually had some really great contractors come by and or like lead abatement folks come by and they were like, honestly, it's not even that much. You guys could do this yourself. There's literally a class of a couple of hundred bucks, and it'll be cheaper, and it's good for you to learn, if you guys, if your husband is trying to be you know, like do more and more houses. So so that's what we just decided that it'll be way cheaper to just for him to learn and to to do it ourselves. It will cost us maybe like a few hundred bucks. And because it's not that we don't have that much. It's like, you know, a few windowsills and some baseboard. So it just needs to be the chemicals just need to be painted on, sat there for twenty four hours and then literally peeled off and like saying it and then just repainted with whatever paint that we want. So because we've been dragging, not dragging our feet, but I am not looking forward to actually working with like the actual contractor if it's going to be like this, because I'm like, what we're not we haven't made any movement. What's happening? Yeah? Oh man, I know, but you know what, I'm like, you know what, Hey, we waited six months just to close, so you know what. At this point, I'm just happy that we have a house.
Speaker 2: And it's cool that that's a good idea, like learning how to do it yourself if it's not that big of a but that's that's the hard part, is like what can we do ourselves? I came home from my so this weekend I went to a bachelorette and it was super fun. Side note though, I came back and I'm like, oh, how exciting. There's like a we've moved into our house and realized that there is no three prong outlets anywhere. It's an older house, and I guess I wasn't a thing.
Speaker 1: I guess they didn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's true they didn't have Apple MacBook charges back then, but it was an issue because you couldn't charge like our laptop or our put our TV in the wall or whatever. And I knew that my husband had set up the electrician to come put a couple of outlets, and then I came home and I was like, oh, there's like an extra outlet here. That's cool, and that bool did it himself. And I said, that's not a DIY project.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, electricity is not. Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's like, but I watched and he you know, he watches all these YouTube videos, and I know that he shadowed the electrician while he was doing it. And my husband's very talented and handy, but I was like, can you please at least have someone here to spot you while you're doing electrical work. He didn't have anybody there, Like what if he electricated himself. I wasn't at home. There's this I feel like that's the HGTV, like I know, syndrome, syndrome or like, yeah, this whole movement of people trying to do themselves, like no, no, no, no, no, we're gonna sometimes it's worth the money. It was only thirty five dollars to have him add one more outlet. I think he really just wanted to figure out how to do it.
Speaker 1: Which is cool, but don't die. So I told like I told Superman. I said, like, there's a few things I don't mind you and the guy's doing like the lead thing. I honestly I don't mind because even for work, like when they do certain things they use like well he has like a respirator mat, so he has all that stuff. I'm like, I don't mind electricity, I told him, because we have to get the house rewired. I was like, no, Chico in them are not doing our electric do you want to die? No, we're not letting. He actually does have a friend n Chico. He's like, oh, Chico could do that. I'm like, no, resetting the floor, fine, painting, okay, you know stuff like that, even like patching some walls. Great, But I told him, like, we're not having somebody ran to rewire our house where we have to live and worry about if a fire starts inside the in the wall, you know. So yeah, I mean it's an interesting journey, and I feel like it'll be much faster next time we get a house, like when we get like our next property. But this is definitely a learning curve that's like where I'm so out of my element because I don't I don't know anything, and I feel like I feel open to being taking advantage of. But thankfully we have like you know, like our mentors. But it still still feels like, oh my gosh. Every time we meet with the professional, everyone else has, everyone has a new story to tell, you know, like, oh, you know, what you need to do is you're corporator, your operator, it's in the infiltrator and you're like, I don't know. Well, I mean that leads it perfectly into brown break. Brown breaks. What you're gonna do boost or break? Well, clearly you know I'm breaking because I just did a brown break song.
Speaker 2: I's gonna say it's only one option.
Speaker 1: No, I forgot. I'm like, oh what a brown break from the word asbestos and the word lead and also the word abatement. I'm like, I'm over that. Yes, I'm just that's just a quick round break. Because I realized though, like you know, I keep telling myself, by the end of the year, you're going to walk into the house and be like, yo, I love my house. But until then, it's just just a lot And I'm learning. I'm learning. I'm learning, which is good, but I just need a break from those words, like literally every like after working hard on the Budginisa and the Academy and everything else, and then Superman comes home from work and then you know, we have dinner or whatever, and then he wants to talk about the house. I'm like, honestly, I don't care. I'm like, whatever you decide, I don't even care anymore. He's like tired. I'm like, yes, I'm tired. I'm tired every week. And it's like we lived there, but we don't live there. So I'm just taking a little bit of a brown break from those three words abatement, lead, and asbestos.
Speaker 2: I was hoping somewhere in there I was going to find a casual segue into baby news because I believe last week that we might be getting an update.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, I just said a quick update is that yes, we could start trying. I am so I didn't I don't think I shared it last time, but I have to get a second which I was like, oh yay, And it was a maybe like a month ago. So I went back to the doctor. You know, I had my first surgery, which is when they actually like basically it's like a a cesarean no a C section where it's like they had to remove the actual five words like cut me open and remove them. And that was like four weeks recovery three of I mean six official, but really like three or four weeks. I was like back to normal. And then I was like, yeah, I'm good, and she's like, you know, I wanted you to go for this thing, this ink test where they like squirt ink in you to see if your tubes are open. And she's like, yay, So good news is your tubes are open. Bad news is we see another fiboid. I was like, you've got to be kidding me, gosh, yeah, and she was like yeah. And then there's some scar tissue from when we removed some of these fribordes from before, and I was like, oh, she's like, so you have to have another surgery. I looked at her like are you insane? What does that even mean? But thankfully this surgery was like really non invasive. It was a one day recovery, like literally twenty four hours, and if you could even call it that, I was home and like ready to go, and so it was. And so I just got cleared from her and she said, you are ready to go, tiffany clean bill of health, you and superan kid, go go go. And I was like, we're coming from your like you're older, you're older obgyn. So yes, we are clear to ready to try. I mean, you never know. And so the thing is, so I'm thirty eight. So she said she wants us to try naturally for six months and then if no baby, then then we want to try. And then she said, then we'll try fertility options, so we shall see. You know, I never it's crazy about having kids. You never think. You just think like, well, of course I'm going to be able to have kids, like that's what women do. So this has just opened my eyes to what's you know, how hard it can be or it's just it doesn't necessarily mean that you're able or yeah, I mean like my sister got pregnant on her wedding night, literally and then she's got pregnant again right after that, and then my mom had trouble. She said, I didn't know because my mom has five kids, said I know she's super fertile, and she was like, uh no, it took me a couple of years before your sister, your first sister came And I thought, oh, I didn't know, so you just never know. But yeah, so that was just the update that I can try. So I appreciate your love and your your baby dust sprinkling in the air. You guys always send me great encouragement. So yes, please say an extra prayer for super baby. Prayerfully, and we'll be on the way by the end of this year.
Speaker 2: I have something to share. One of our listeners actually sent us a message on Facebook for because I know before you talked about wanting twins, right, do you still want twins?
Speaker 1: I mean I could do twins.
Speaker 2: You're just trying to be efficient about it.
Speaker 1: Yes, honestly, I am so.
Speaker 2: One of our Facebook one of our listeners on Facebook said, for twins, you should start eating lots of yams and sweet potatoes, although I think those are the same thing. It's up for debate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is up for de baby.
Speaker 2: Yes, thanks Crystal. I don't know. She doesn't say why sweet potatoes and yams, but hey, you're vegan and that's on the menu, so okay, hook it up. It's nerve wracking to think that it's nerve. I feel like what's challenging is that right now we're in an age where you know you made to think, Okay, be strategic about your career, plan everything out. Your finance is, you're in control your career in you're in control, plan make it, set yourself up for success, and don't turn down opportunities. I'm talking about women especially, Yes, and then you do everything right and then by you know, naturally you're in your thirties when you start thinking about having kids, or your late thirties or early forties, and then oh, yeah, you can't really have it all because there's this thing called biology and she just fucks with you sometimes. Yeah, and it's not fair. It's so frustrating. So I'm really just glad that you're sharing your story because I know that you're not the only one out there who's going through that. And it's not even about career, and you know, I'm not trying to at all shame people. It's not about career or even being ambitious. Sometimes sometimes your body just you know, it just is your body. You don't have all the working elements that you thought you had until you finally start to try, or you just don't meet the right person exactly.
Speaker 1: Or like I know, a couple like a friend of mine who's a guy. I just always assume because he and his wife travel a lot, and they're young, they're in their thirties, and I just assume, like, oh, they're the young, hot and popping couple. They must not want kids. They didn't strike me as a kid wanting type. And he hit me up and he was like, you know, I'm praying for you and your husband. Me and my wife has been trying for years, and he's like, we've been to every doctor and nothing's wrong with us. And I was like, why, I didn't know. You never know, you know, Like I said, I thought that they were like, oh, you know, they're not trying to have no kids. They're in a different country every other month. They live it up. And no, He's like, we do, and they cannot figure out, like why she doesn't have fibroids. She doesn't, her tubes are open, she's got enough eggs, his sperm is strong, like you know, and so you just, yeah, there's no rhyme or reason. Sometimes I mean, sometimes you know and sometimes you don't. And I mean I know somebody who was like she literally like had like one ovary and it was halfway working, and she's got two kids. And so yeah, I mean that the part that's hard because in every other aspect of my life, I know that if I put in the work, I can get what I want. You know, like how hard are you willing to work for Tiffany? And this is one of those things that, yes, there is some work for me to put in, Like I went vegan, I got these surgeries. You know, I'm eating better, you know, but past that, I can't do anything else, you know. So it's frustrating because there's no there's nothing, you know, like, no matter how much work I put in, there's still the possibility that I just I'm just not able for whatever reason, you know. So I mean I'm still like, I still have time. So I honestly don't feel hopeful. I don't feel like hopeless. I know some people like I guess it's the beginning of my journey. So it's still really early. Like I really just started, you know, this journey in January, So it's still really early for me. So I'm still feeling like, yeah, it's happening, but you never know if it doesn't. I mean, thankfully, you know, Superman and I have the means if we want to adopt which He's totally open to we can. He's just been awesome, like, well, whatever you want, babe, Like you know he would want at least he would love of two more kids. I'm like, wow, we'll see. Look we don't get these twins the first time around. I don't know, but we'll see. I'm open to it though, because I feel like I'm in a space now where you know, there there's more to life than than business and growth and finances and you know, and I just seeing how my parents get older, their joy they get from the fact that they have us kids.
Speaker 2: I want that too, you know, you know, I feel I have good vibes me sending you extra baby dust. I'm gonna keep a little for myself. I might need it. I'm not sure when Boma need it sometimes. So my brown boost, I want to do it. Well, okay, I'm going to do a double. A brown is kind of a two sided brown break. So my brown break is the conversation around pay equality. So the pay gap, the gender page gap. We always talk about how women we all know the statistic. I mean, it's like it's so you know, we say it all the time. Women earn eighty cents a dollar when you break it down by minority, it's even less to white men. And where that conversation usually leads is to advice for women on how they what they should be doing to earn more money, or how they should be negotiating better in the workplace, and what the women can do. And I'm kind of and I'm kind of low key sick of this conversation because I feel like it unfairly puts the pressure on the woman to get herself an equal pay, like get herself equal pay on the job. And my position has been for a long time that the employer itself or whoever it is, like, the person who's managing the project has the budget, whether you're a freelancer, a full time whoever, that they are thinking about. Am I paying people fairly and looking at this person's resume comparing it to someone similar on our staff, why is it that he or she is earning more or less. I don't think that there's enough pressure on management to make that those types of calls, and I wish that there was more Earlier today, I saw this the headline that you know the crown that was one of the more more recent like public kind of embarrassing things where they found We found out that that show The Crown on Netflix, the main actress, Clairefoy, who plays Queen Elizabeth, was paid significantly less than her male co star, who is like a supporting actor and is not in you know, she's in basically every single scene and has been nominated for awards in YadA YadA. So it came out that she made like hundreds of thousands of dollars less than him, even though they're on the same show and she does way more. And then today this has been like weeks later, they announced that she's going to receive two hundred and seventy five thousand dollars in back pay after all the controversy to basically like make her even with what I don't know if it's basically to make her even with this guy, right, So for me, that shows like it's not her fault that she was making less, you know, it's why did that company or Netflix or whoever, why did they decide they were the ones who decided that you deserve less than this guy? Like why weren't there Why wasn't there more discussion around them? And I just feel like so often we are almost victim shaming not that you know, victim. I don't want to throw with a word victim around, but like shaming the woman for not doing more, you know, go into an interview and talk tough and read these tips on how to negotiate. And I'm taking some of the blame here because I've written some of those articles and it's helpful to know and understand understand what makes what makes a good negotiation. But I, and especially in my role as a manager, I take it upon my damn self to make sure that I'm paying people equally. And I just did I do. I manage a lot of freelancers, for example, like a lot of freelance writers, and one of the recent one of the things I do every month is take a look at because I do pay my top tier writers more than the others. And I realized this month one of the writers who I constantly go too because she's super reliable, is not in the highest pay grade. And I'm not waiting for her to ask me to give her more money. While I know a lot of people would do that, I'm like, well, it makes no sense why she is making less than these other top tier people. She deserves to be in this in this in this group. And hell, like if I, if I bump her into this group, maybe she'll want to write more for us. And of course I you know, I just did it and I sent her an email saying, hey, by the way, I gave you a pay pay raise, congrats, you know, because I could do it. And it's not like I don't have the money to not do it that. Yeah, it's just it's just you have to take the time and think about that. So that's my my my break for putting too much of the onus on women too to uh to earn more. And you know, like studies show that you can be you're judged more harshly as a woman if you're like a tough negotiator, you know, so damned if you do, damned if you don't. Sometimes, well, let's move on to some questions. What's your and you guys please send us your questions. You can hit us up at bron Ambition Podcast at gmail dot com to send us a question directly or leave us go to our website Brian Ambition podcast dot com and ask us a question on the site as well. The meilbox this week was a little thin, you guys, And I'm just kind of sad for me. Love our questions. Hold on, I accidentally minimize the box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely asked because we do really love honestly answering you guys this questions. And when you ask a question, there's always somebody out there in the audience it's like, well, me too, me too, Thank you for asking that.
Speaker 2: Do you have to pay like five hundred dollars to the me too movement whenever you say me too?
Speaker 1: Now? I know, I do know, I don't know. Ah, oh my goodness. Running a business. I was just thinking about like a trademarking stuff. There was stuff that like I need to trademark, and you're like, everything is just so pricey. You know. I'll tell you a little secret, like, now that I've locked it down, why did I lose the trademark to the budgetiese. No, but it's okay for those of you listening, I have it back, okay, because I was like, I was not going to say it obviously until I had it back, because so I was like, oh, I'm good. So I didn't. It was a mistake. I thought trademarks lasted ten years, and they do, but you have to like renew it after the first five and then it last ten. But I didn't know that and all my stuff, like I don't know where they were sending the mail to. It wasn't until like a bunch of lawyers kept calling me asking me like, hey, would you like to something like get back to the budget needs to trademark. I'm like, what are you talking about? I owned the trademarkets. I only been back years and I looked. I was like, oh, maybe I don't so this was this happened last year because it takes about I want to say, six to twelve months for the whole process, so I had to reapply. I actually used legal Zoom and it was super easy. I had to reapply and I got it back. But I was like, oh MG, can you.
Speaker 2: Imagine I'm stressed out just thinking about it.
Speaker 1: I was spending bullets like I would say, like maybe like two weeks ago, I got the I got the trademark paper in the midil like, hey, Tippy, the budget needsa belongs to you again. Oh my god. So trademark your stuff, guys, it's worth it. And legal Zoom, you know, although it's not great for everything, it's definitely what made it made that process easier.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, well, good poof. And by the way, Brian Ambish's trademark don't try us, Yeah, don't don't try us. Okay, here's a question from listener. Let me see if she wants me to say her name out loud. She doesn't say not to okay listener Marnie, She says, Hey, ladies. First off, I love your podcast. It's been really helpful as I begin to plan out my financial future and take the appropriate steps. I just started a new job and my company doesn't allow me to contribute to a four to one K until after the first year. I researched and I found out I could invest in a regular IRA, but my maximum contribution each year would just be six thousand dollars versus eighteen thousand, five hundred dollars in a four to one K. I'm currently making forty nine thousand dollars a year. What do you recommend as the best step to maximize my retirement investment while I wait out this year? I don't even know you make forty nine thousand dollars a year. I don't even think that you would realistically be able to get to eighteen thousand, five hundred based on that salary. Unless you're living at home and you have no expenses, I think that you'll be fine just investing in a regular IRA or even you don't mention it or not, but I'm hoping this means that you have a savings account emergency savings fun on the side. If you don't, I would say focus on building that up your first year. If anything, you're only making forty nine thousand dollars a year, so it may take you a little bit of time just to get to you know, the recommended like three to six months worth of savings on the side, and then once the year is up, then you're you know, you're kind of ready and you can start contributing to that, to that four one K.
Speaker 1: And also too, like I think sometimes like even if it's not your retirement fund, it doesn't mean that you can't set aside money like you know, and be just investing for wealth. You know, so yes, you're not going to get the tax benefit, but there's still a benefit for investing for wealth. So like Mandy said, you're you're unlikely to max out at eighteen thousand dollars, but you know, on the off chance, just in general, knowing that retirement is not the only way to invest if you're limited in that way. You know, I have an account to invest for wealth, and I have a portfolio to invest for retirement, and both of those things are useful and good. Absolutely maybe knowing stuff.
Speaker 2: But good that you're getting started. Believe me, it's not easy to get to eighteen thousand, five hundred when you consider like all your other expenses and stuff. And just to be clear, the to a limit on IRA contributions is five five hundred dollars and she puts six thousand in her message, but just so you know, we got it right, and it's a little bit it's a little bit higher. If you're age fifty year older is sixty five hundred dollars. FYI, all right, thanks for your question, miss Marnie.
Speaker 1: I know I wanted to just end with social media time, so let's get socioed. We'll have to figure out a name for it. So you guys know that we have an Instagram and our Instagram page is Manby.
Speaker 2: At Brown Enviition Podcast on Instagram.
Speaker 1: So actually I'm gonna head over there now and I'm going to give somebody a little shout out, so we would love if under our most recent picture on Brown Ambition that you you know, you can ask a question, you could share some feedback. We're really just trying to get you know, our social pop in a little bit. If you're not following us, you played yourself. No seriously. So this comment is from Amelia and her Instagram name is Emmy Marie B and she says, one of my Peruvian cousins died of a brain aneurysm at age fifteen. Wow, in twenty seventeen. I definitely didn't know how much. I didn't know much about that either. Didn't the budget Lisa's husband survive one? Yes, he well he didn't. It didn't burst, but he had one. Thanks for getting the word out. Ba oh, thank you Emmy. Yeah, that last episode with Sharon Eperson sharing how she survived her brain andurism, which is honestly very It's not common to survive and then to survive and to go back to the same kind of like mental capacity that you had before. It's like fifteen percent of people survived and then another fifteen percent of those people actually are the same. So that was an awesome episode and thank you. So if you guys you know, want us to shout you out on the end of our next Brandabision episode. Head over to Instagram and say something on one of our posts. You never know we might see you.
Speaker 2: Say something nice, yes, story, tell us what your win is. I'm going to do a better job posting, but really appreciate you guys following us. And thank you to Amelia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you Emilia. I actually really liked that name too. That's my that's my Nasty Clues name. But she has it with it. But I forgive you on that now, see you next
Speaker 2: Week, See you next week.