Speaker 1: The boys Yo number one. Thank you. Regal Realty Group Hunter Briley specifically, guys, local Nashville company, real estate company. It's Regal Realty Group. You can find them at Regal RG dot com. And you can also get a Hunter Briley who works with us, you know, specifically Hunter Briley his personal fucking blow him up six one five six three zero nine seven three five or he can hit you know his office six one five four eight three zero eight five six. That is Hunter Briley and you can find them at Regal RG dot com. Guys, it's anything from commercial, residential and even investment.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: He's trying to find a home for this bus. As a matter of fact, he's helping us find some rental locations potentially a buying to have a nice, nice little Rob deer Dick fantasy factory type deal going on. But yeah, he's a stud man. He really helps. He really helped us out. I know his phone has been blown up a little bit by people around here. He's gotten a few hot leads. So guys, he's it's real estate done differently and he's all about relationships. I've sat with him. I look I look into his beautiful eyes and he he helps me navigate through this world that we're all trying to navigate through. I'm big in the investment game, big in real estate, and Hunters somebody that I'm able to lean on and he's somebody that I trust and take advice from. So again, that's commercial residential if you're looking to move somewhere or rent, and also investment if you guys are looking for investment opportunities, looking for just to sit down and have a conversation. That is Hunter Briley with the Regal Realty Group and again Regal rg dot com. Just to kind of update you guys and give you guys an idea of what exactly we do. We have all of our episodes backlog. They're all in the bank right now. We have a library. We grinded out episodes to kind of last us throughout the year. We've dropped those episodes every Monday on the podcast for Monday on Tuesdays. Tuesday Nights is when you guys get the YouTube videos. But we keep the intros fresh because you never know who's going to come in and want to sponsor the boys, so we kind of hold off on the intros. That again, the episodes are banked. They're already They're already, they've already been done. So anything you hear they were done in the summer. We don't want you guys to get it twisted. The boy he's on the Titans. Number one priority is football. Myself, when I'm playing football, that is number one priority. So we just kind of drop in hit an intro each and every week, but all the episodes are already in the bank. Dude was reading through some reviews last week and that shit is hilarious. We tweeted a few of them out, I'm gonna read you. I'm gonna read you, guys. Some guys keep the reviews coming. The reviews are the best part. Go to Apple Podcasts, Spotify, wherever you guys listen to podcasts, hit subscribe, rate the Boys five stars and leave a review. The reviews are hilarious. Uh here's one. Shout out my dog a train one two. It's titled Wolf. I was sitting at home listening to this pod, cooking dinner and baking pie with my Yorkie. By the end of episode two, I glanced over. My dog Lily is now ghost from Game of Thrones. My apron has turned into armor. Pie is now whiskey and food is a fat juicy steak. Puppy to Wolf exclusive. Yo, that is fucking hilarious. Your little dog Yorkie hate Yorkies, but I love your little dog Yorki and I'm glad you love to review a train. Um shout out all day Ray, best pod in the game. I appreciate that, my pup mark. How do you say it? Matt markel Fults markel Fultz listened to one episode and his jumper came back. The boys are out here changing lives. God, dude, If that's how you guys really feel, we are super fucking grateful, because this shit is awesome. You guys are on this journey with us, and we're just trying to give this little We're just trying to give this beautiful bus some wheels and that way we can take it around everywhere and you guys can see us all the time, and we got some cool shit in the works. Man. Yeah. So if you guys don't mind rate, subscribe and review us on Apple Podcasts, go to our pod hit that little subscribe button. If you're already subscribed, pull over, unsubscribe, or if you're sitting at a stop light, unsubscribe and resubscribe again. That's how we get this thing climbing the charts. Is how we have fun with this thing. Guys. We have a YouTube channel, Busting with the Boys. Go subscribe there the Jalen Ramsey shab Like all these last few episodes, you guys have been crushing it for us. Guys, go subscribe to the YouTube channel. Leave comments, have fun with that. We got some cool shit coming out in the future. We're trying to make other side, behind the scenes stuff. We got that in the works. But go subscribe to that channel. We're slinging merch bustin WTB dot com busting' wd WTB dot com. That's where you can find our merch. Go by the t's. We got signs. Go by the signs. You can find all our information there. You can also follow us on Instagram and Twitter busting WTB. And you can also go follow us or friend us or however that shit works on Facebook Busting with the Boys. Now to our episode. We change it up a little bit, my pups. We changed it up. The wolves we wanted to get. We wanted to get. We want different variety of guests on here. You know. That's one reason we've had shab On, Rich Frohning, Michael Chandler, a bunch of different people, Sean Booth to name a few different people out of the football world. Because yes, we get we have that little edge with football. We get our initial client tele our initial audience is football. But it's very important to us that we are we show you guys that we are more than just a football podcast. There's a lot of shit that goes on with us that we're very intrigued about. In this episode, here we have on performance coach and author Ben Newman. Ben is somebody that I've been close with for several years now. You know. He's a best selling author and he's a performance mental coach. He works directly with the Alabama Crimson tight football team. He works with he just got hired on for the Kansas State football team. He works with athletes in the NFL, PGA, NBA, MLB, UFC, and the n C Double A. He's a stud man. He writes for Forbes. He is uh, he's the white guy for me, Taylor, and I said down with him. We got into some great conversations a little bit about my story with Ben. My journey with Ben. I'm getting some mental coaching done since I've been in the league. Taylor and him go banter back and forth about Michigan and Michigan State. Him going to Michigan State, Taylor going to Michigan. Taylor drops some fucking jim. Uh, there's a lot of good storytelling. This is a this is a really cool episode to get super deep in a good way. Uh. We have fun at the beginning, and then we get in some real nitty gritty ship man, and it's uh, you know, I'm a big believer in mental performance. Taylor and I both are will be sending each other videos Law of Attraction, mental psychology training ship from David Goggins, Joe Rogan, Tony Robbins, Conor McGregor, all that shit. Dude. We said, we're constantly sending each other ship so, you know, it's a big part of our lives, staying on kind of the mental grind, just as much as performance and physical you know, super important stuff and really insightful things. I think you guys are really gonna like this Bend Newman episode. You can find him on social Media's at Continued Fight on Instagram and Twitter. That is at continued fight and again. He is a He is a mental performance coach for the Alabama football team, Kansas State football team. Guys around all different varieties of leagues, myself, guys in the guys in the NFL. So I think you guys are really gonna like this one. It's a big change up. It's not just bullshitting the whole time. Uh, We're following his story. We're talking about a lot of ship and some stuff that is very relatable. And I hope you guys take into your lives and when you after you guys listen to this. If you guys feel like we would greatly appreciate it, share this episode. Let us know how you felt about this episode. Comment to us on Twitter, and you know you guys are in this thing with us, but I appreciate you, motherckers, and I hope you guys enjoyed this episode.
Speaker 3: Ben Newman, So you know there's one can of worms that we probably should opened that you probably didn't.
Speaker 1: Tell them what's ahead.
Speaker 3: Then I went to Michigan State.
Speaker 1: Oh I forgot.
Speaker 4: I just gotta make sure I talk slow. Remember everything I.
Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 3: I love when when he made Braybell point up to.
Speaker 4: The yeah, yeah, man, we got to make sure people. If you go on the bus, man, you're in corn Husker territory.
Speaker 3: Actually, I was terrified.
Speaker 2: It's not amy and.
Speaker 4: It's kind of just like welcome, glad to have you, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, coloring books will be fine.
Speaker 1: All right, Aaron, he's over here like about to rip it out of the fucking bus. I have to get that black cart out. They can pay for it. Yo. It's raining outside, his storming. It doesn't matter, doesn't fucking matter. It's just like you know, it's a storm, and it's one of those storms to where the lightning flashes and the noise happens within.
Speaker 2: A sex like yeah, it's like death's all around us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Generator going on outside.
Speaker 2: No excuses, play like a champion, Rule number seventy six.
Speaker 4: Just a lot of a lot of adversity, dude, a lot of adversity.
Speaker 1: So then, what were you thinking before you came on this bus, Like, like what was going through your mind? Like we've been boys a long ass time, and you knew I got this thing rolling me and the boy.
Speaker 3: I already told you. I literally I thought to myself, I've been on hundreds of interviews, and I never have been terrified for what the hell is going to be asked. I'm looking over it, Taylor, like Bro's gonna bring the heat.
Speaker 1: The dude is. The dude is witty. Man, you gotta come fucking correct if you want to dance with the devil, because Will knows.
Speaker 3: Will knows if he has asked anything wrong that if that thunder.
Speaker 1: You're that thunder?
Speaker 2: Do we Probably you probably heard that.
Speaker 3: I mean you said if I say anything wrong, yes, you're gonna it'll be relatively tame Will. That depends I.
Speaker 2: Don't know what you guys. Relationship is like.
Speaker 4: Will might just be getting a little little box today, but he might come out of the shell.
Speaker 1: No, I'm ready to go.
Speaker 3: He always cuts it to me real.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always try to cheer Ben because he's a he's a performance coach, he's an author. He does motivational speaking. So I always ask him all the time, like, you know been like you never played football, so how do you motivate football players? That's a chirp and and and actually a question, like you know, you walk into some of these locker rooms the teams have you on like bam and all them they bring you in k State and they want to they lean to you for inspiration or motivation like these coaches do. And then you walk into a room with a bunch of you know, football players, dogs that are going to look at you as you know, an author, somebody who hasn't played and wonder, what the hell is this guy even going to give us?
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think you know this is that if I go into Alabama, within the first five minutes, they're gonna hear my mom's story. They're gonna hear the challenge adiversity I went through with my dad. Parents divorced when I was six months old, right knowing that my mom passed away, then my dad had his issues, and they know that, like, I've been through shit in my life, and that's the goal that I have, no matter what group I'm in front of, sports or business like, it's real life. And so whether I how many downs of football I played, which was freshman year high school and basketball solid solid freshman team. So the whole thing is they realize I've been through some shit in my life and I've been blessed at mentors and coaches to get me up off that Matt life. And then I always say Now that's my story. But I know everybody sitting in this room you have a story too, and it's helping them realize. Like I know, you've been through your shit. I've been through my shit. So if we can't connect there, there's really no work for us to do. There's really no motivation to come from until I can figure out what's in your heart, what's the fire that lies inside of you or the burners, you know I like to call it. It's going to cause you to get up on those days you don't want to do anymore.
Speaker 1: Right, you want to talk about in a nutshell your mom's story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's I think about it every day.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: You know, we all have a story. We all have challenge and adversity. And for me, I had to grow up fast because my mom was diagnosed with a rare muscle disease. Nineteen eighty three was the year I was five years old. When she was diagnosed. She goes to a hospital in Boston. Everybody in their muscles, they have ameloids. So Taylor, you have ameloids, Will's got them, I've got them. If you have an excess of amyloids, you have a disease called ameloid dosis. Ameloids slowly eat away at your muscles and you die. There's no cure for the disease. So my mom goes to Boston meets with a woman by the name of doctor Mark with the Skinner. Doctor Skinner tells her you got two to four years to live, and you're only the second woman under forty years old I've ever seen or heard of having this disease. Ammal A doses and my mom greatest prize fighter I've ever met in my life. My mom takes out an old journal and she starts writing and allowed that to become a place where she unleashed her positive mental attitude onto the world. And she wrote, beat the statistics, beat the odds, live with the disease that is chronic and fatal, believe in yourself, combat anything purpose in life. And she showed up every night. As I've told you so many times. You know, my mom would come to the dinner table with an IV stand when we had twenty four hour nursing care in the house to ask me how my day was at school. So it's like when I get hit with something in life, it's like you better come with some serious heat and some serious fire. If you think you're gonna break me, well, what I've seen with these two eyes and one of the special moments I have with my mom's story because she taught me how to live, She taught me how to fight, she taught me how to rise up when you don't want to do it. And she passed away eleven days before my eighth birthday. But I continue her fight all the time I share her story. You are only the second person that has touched you. We actually the first, and then I actually I shared it this year with one speaking engagement, but you were the first person that I let up. And remember when I took out the journal, So we have this moment. I keep my mom's journal in the safe at home, and it was I think before your second season where we knew like you were really starting to make moves and things were really starting to take place, and I said, man, I said, I want to show you something. We go up to the office because you always come over and stay at the house, and I pulled out the journal and just gave it to him, and you just sat there like there aren't many things that make you speechless. And he's like, bro, I don't know what to say yeah, and just like touching this journal because he and I become so close, and then to touch that journal that's been my life's testimony. H It was just wild for me to be.
Speaker 1: Able to Yeah, they're like looking at handwriting and stuff like that. It's just my mom's Yeah. Knowing that was back in What'd you say in nineteen eighty three?
Speaker 3: She passed away November second, nineteen eighty six, but nineteen eighty three was when she was diagnosed. So she made it. She made it three years.
Speaker 1: And what was going on? Your dad was having issues too back then. I meant to where you had to kind of you talk about growing up fast, like, yeah, you had that stuff going on with your mom, but also your dad was you know, had his issues to where you had to be You're the You're.
Speaker 3: I'm the youngest, you're the youngest. Yeah, so my older brother. Yeah, so my mom passes away, Dad moves back into the house, and you know, he had issues with addiction, He had all types of stuff. I'm now coming home as an eight year old boy, and you think Dad's napping on the couch, but you know he's just he's had his day. And so that's by eight years old, right, And thankfully, you know, my dad turned that challenge into a great example for me that you can also fight through anything, because nine months later he realized, like, man, I can't live this way, I can't have kids. And you know, my dad has been a great example that.
Speaker 1: What were the things he was doing?
Speaker 3: Drugs and alcohol and you know, stuff that is challenging and tough, and so finally he got sober and he's literally been sober ever since. So nine months after my mom died, to now.
Speaker 2: Was he was a reason why, Like not the reason, but as part of.
Speaker 4: That reason, because of all the struggles you had to go through.
Speaker 2: With your mom and everything like that.
Speaker 3: So they were. They were divorced when I was six months old. So I think what it was though, was other issues my dad has had that it was such a hard life that I think he just he turned to that. And part of everybody's wired different, you know what I mean. There's people who can, right, we can have our bourbons, we can have fun, and people can handle it, and there's other people. It's it's a disease, no question. Yeah it's a disease.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: I mean, anything can really become an addiction if you let it, whether it's video games. I mean, sugar is just such an addictive product that I literally have had people argue with me about that.
Speaker 2: No, sugar's not addictive.
Speaker 4: It's absolutely an addictive thing. You can't just look at his addiction as you know, just drugs or alcohol. Those are the easiest things to point out, but you can turn so many things into you know, addiction, even things that are good for you. You know, if you're working out all the time or whatever, you don't you still have to go.
Speaker 2: Out and live your regular life too, and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, those types of things, especially like you know, drugs and alcohol, those are very difficult to go through, and it's so easy for people that don't do with those issues to look and say, hey, well it's not that big, just stop doing it, just stop doing your fine. Well, I mean, if you drink, your brain is chemically imbalanced. It's a depress you feel shitty when you get off fit. What's the easiest thing to do. We just still have a couple more. We'll hear the dog. They always say, we'll hair the dog. They bit you a little bit of that, and you start compounding those things on top of each other, and you come you become codependent on those things, and so it's it's a very it's a hard and you know, windy road and again definitely puts you into a spiral if you if you let it. And that goes for drugs too, not just illegal drugs, but you know, prescription drugs and all that those stuff. I mean, I'm very open with the fact that, like I mean, I've been giving prescription drugs before, like rolling ankle or something like that, and you know, you don't you don't feel better. There's no way you feel better than when you're on one of those pills that they make you feel amazing. But it comes. It comes with those you know, the repercussions. The next day you're a little more you're a little more agitated, you're a.
Speaker 1: Little more sure sep.
Speaker 4: It is a slippery still, but you get it's realizing. And I think the biggest thing that people need to understand is the biggest best thing you do for yourself is sit with yourself and and understand who you are and going through that process. The best process is to say well I am this person's figure out who you are not and then shaving that down process of elimination to finding out who you are and then growing from that. Those are the best ways to become like you know not you know, so, needing drugs or needing alcohol you can really stuff dependent. Yeah, that's the word I'm looking for. So it's it's definitely a slippery slope.
Speaker 2: It's hard for a lot of people.
Speaker 3: You bring up an interesting point that drugs, alcohol, anything in life. It's it's the way people think about things, right, and you and I have had so many great conversations about it. But how you think about things determines how you show up right. Right, it's your belief system for everything. Right, you've done what you've done playing in the NFL. You've done what you've done playing because you believed you would play in the NFL. Right, you believe you'd stand across from another man and you would freaking punish him over and over. And that's a belief system. So then your work shows up that way. People aren't in touch enough with the fact that you've got to be truthful with yourself. You got to look in the mirror and say, I either believe I will absolutely dominate any man that's in front, I will punish everybody in front of me, or you're gonna have doubts. And you can't have both. You get one of the other. And people have to be truthful with themselves. And I know there's a lot of people watching. They're not professional athletes, right, And so for you in your life, you got to show up. You got to be truthful about why you are where you are. And if you're not where you want to be, you got to you gotta look at yourselves say what am I willing to change? Yeah, and you got to work hard in another area otherwise you're probably gonna fall short of what you actually want.
Speaker 2: It's tough.
Speaker 4: It's because if if you play sports, it's the easiest way to figure out, Okay, where am I at? Like you could figure out I get my ass kicks. Okay, I know I need to do I need to work on X, Y and Z.
Speaker 2: Life.
Speaker 4: It's not as black and white. It's you gotta you know, you got to read, You get to educate yourself.
Speaker 2: You got to see.
Speaker 4: You got to find your own deficiencies in yourself. What it makes means to hear why are these things making me into here?
Speaker 2: And working on those things?
Speaker 4: And I mean that's The best part about football is it's such a competitive sport.
Speaker 2: It'll tell you where you're at right then and there.
Speaker 4: And so I mean, that's that's a big reason why I'm so confident, is that football's helped me learn to be a confident person. Not just that, but also like when you have an issue with something, instead of hiding from you to take a head on and if you don't go and a tacket there, I mean, if I don't, if I don't do something in the first fifteen minutes of learning about something, I let it get the best of.
Speaker 2: Me, which is a really difficult thing.
Speaker 1: Sometimes, right, but figuring out like you guys are saying, the self awareness factor, and then figuring out those weaknesses and then okay, how do I supplement those weaknesses If I can't do them, do them on my own us with our diets, all of us you know, live well, eat well, stuff like that. If you know you're struggling in another area, you know. That's why we ended up meeting up and going over psychological stuff, mental trainings and things that kind of like you kind of try and brainwash yourself being like a young rookie. That's how we met. We met over Twitter.
Speaker 3: So I gotta tell the story. I mean, everybody's good Twitter story. Yeah, well, I mean yeah, So we meet over Twitter because we had a mutual friend. We didn't know each other. All my work had been in the corporate world. So I started speaking in two thousand and six, coaching two thousand and eight, started books, and actually the first talk I ever gave in sports in my old high school basketball team in twenty eleven when the coach called. So I'd done a little bit in sports, but not a lot, never worked with a professional athlete. Yet I had these six mental training tools for the business side, sales, for sales, yeah, for people in sales and business performance. And I was like, man, these will work in sports too, And so Will and I get connected, and it was like he's like, yeah, I'm gonna through the relationship. I'm gonna trust this guy, and I'm gonna sit down with him. I had never used these, right, so it's like, right, we'll see see if this works in the world of sports. And Will was in between the month of OTAs because he had just been signed as an undrafted free agent by the Redskins and was right before he was reporting for training camp and I remember sending you that message. After we connect, him like, he, ay, man, you want to get together and talk mental toughness. Right. So I had a belief, Hey man, this is going to work with this guy. And then he was like, yeah, let's get together. Let's do it. So we met every Monday for a month.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: The first time we meet, he sits down. We're sitting across in a booth. I said, man, what's on your mind? And he says, uh, will Man? I said, what's on your mind? So those twenty thirteen what's on your mind? He says, you know what, if it doesn't work out with the Redskins, there's thirty one other teams. I knew I had his ass, right. I mean the moment he said that, I knew it was game over. These principles are going to work, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I looked at him and I said, wait a second, man, I said, I know, we're just meet for the first time. I got I'd like, I gotta ask you a question. I got to ask you a question. What happens if every day you start waking up and you tell yourself, I'm a linebacker with the Washington Redskins, and if you doubt yourself. In the middle of the day, you tell yourself again, I am a linebacker with the Washington Redskins. And before you go to bed, you tell yourself, man, I'm a linebacker with the Washington Redskins. Now bear in mind, he's seventh out of seven on the depth chart. Right, they got it, They've got they got his Alfred Morris camp jersey number forty six waiting for when he gets to camp. And Walker, yeah, and he looked at me and he says, you know what, he goes, I'm gonna start saying that every single day. And he basically at that moment he snapped his fingers like you said, fifteen minute, you got to make a decision, right and bang he believed in it.
Speaker 2: Do you still say every day that you're the linebacker for the Washington Redskins.
Speaker 1: No, No, I don't doone. I don't I do have goalsough Ben at Ben has helped me a lot. Like I would go to Montero and he's in Saint Louis and we would meet. We didn't meet in the middle and just sit for like what an hour or two, and you know, he would have stuff for me to do, Like I read a couple like mental books, so I was like obsessed with like mental psychology stuff. You know how it goods you. You get motivated and you get ready to go. And he wanted he reached out and wanted to help me, and I knew he spoke and did other things. So I was like, yeah, that'd be awesome. I'd be honored to sit and you know, come up with a plan because again you're like you're intimidated, and then you go through OTAs and you're an undrafted guy and you figure out like these guys don't know me at all like I thought they would coming from Nebraska because I was in Nebraska, and you're like, all these coaches, whoever gets me into a camp, all I need to do is get into a camp like they're and these coaches they already know me, like Boe and them do it with the with Nebraska, and they're gonna think, oh, we got this guy, we got a diamond in the rough. They didn't get drafted. You get there and you realize like, yeah, you're probably gonna not gonna make this team and you're at the bottom of every depth chart. Bro, I'm talking, Well, there was two of us undrafted rookie free agents, and he was playing before me. Like I was like, there was three units and I wasn't. I just got to mix in with the third unit every now and then. And he wanted to meet, and you know, we met, and I was kind of like nice and brainwashed going into camp and you.
Speaker 2: You said, I want to meet with Will. First.
Speaker 3: I sent a message to him, and then he said, yeah, man, let's do it.
Speaker 1: He reached out. He's like, yeah, I love that you're in the I said something about mental training. I can't wait to get home and get him some book or something like that. He reached out, said yeah, it's me. Let's meet halfway. And then I went into camp.
Speaker 3: But hold on before let me, I got to mention this because I think this is for everybody, because you had mentioned some of us were not in sports, right, and so if you remember, he was a captain of Nebraska, right number twelve all time tackles. So it's like, I knew this guy could play some ball. So I said to him, I said, I said, man, I said, what made you a captain of Nebraska? Tell me all the things that were one hundred percent in your control that you did, right, and we just broke it down. He's like, man, I studied more film more than anybody else. Man I was in the playbook more than anybody else. I was on top of my nutrition and all these things he could control. So I just asked the back to him. I said, what happens if you show up that same way with the Redskins? I said, what if you're another coach breaking down game film as a rookie? I said, focus on all these things you can control. And it made him reconnect back to that confidence, like I am that same dude. I am gonna go and it doesn't matter where they tell me I am on a depth chart, because I used to tell them, don't worry about where they tell you are in a depth chart. Worry about taking somebody's job when you get there, and absolutely dominate. Lock in one day at a time, you win one day at a time. It's going to take care of itself. And those are the conversations we had, and then he followed through with the action. And I think for anybody listening, you can either say, oh, I have no idea what it's going to take to be successful. Where you go find out or you look at your past success and say, am I actually willing to consistently do those things over and over and over again to keep having success. So you're the one who decided, man, I'm gonna choose the action I take, And you just showed up different than the kid who was like, man, I don't make it.
Speaker 1: All The boy the Boys and the Boys goes back early and I'm in the film room and I'm literally game planning our offense for training camp for like those few plays, I might get sure to be out there because you're like, Okay, you can't fuck up if you get that opportunity. Well a good you know. Fortunately for me, some luck played into it. Keenan who was a draft pick the year before and like the fourth round Keenan Robinson, he's a stud player. He gets hurt and tears his peck on day one up training camp, so immediately I go from seventh and rotating with the third unit to now I could just get to be with the threes. And then the guy who was undrafted in front of me, Jeremy Kimbro, he moves up with the second unit. He hurts his hamstring in that first week, so I immediately get thrusted to go with the twos and the boy has a day one day where I had like two picks and stuff like that to where I got to be with the second unit in preseason. So look like all this stuff kind of happens, And definitely that that helped, Like knowing all that stuff and you're going in like, you know, I'm gonna show out a few plays I do get. But fortunately, fortunately on a personal level for me, a couple guys go down in front of you, which is what happens. Bribel said on You Know when he was on the podcast, the injury in the NFL's one hundred percent, so you better be ready for your opportunities are going.
Speaker 2: To go down all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, people who probably listening to that when you're explaining, like well, what a dick, Like he's unfortunate things for me, Like people got hurt.
Speaker 2: Like that's just the way it is.
Speaker 4: That's just the way it is, man, because a lot of times in the NFL, it's not how good you are, it's not how like it's sometimes like hey, this.
Speaker 2: Guy's our guy, and that's what it is. Sorry, and you're gonna have to go on a different team and that's just that's just how it works. And there's really no right or wrong like rhyme or.
Speaker 4: Reason, but it is what it is, and like it just when stuff starts clicking like you, like you do take advantage of that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: So and then when that guy goes down and you know how it is, it's that next man of mentality, Like when you're out last year, who is Dennis Kelly who comes in after you?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: Yes, Dennison actually end up getting hurt too. So the first the first first game of the season, I got knocked out. We had the longest game in NFL history, but against the Miami Dolphins. Is there were so many so much rain and thunder and lightning. So I ended up getting knocked out right after the second half, right after the first half, in the in the third quarter.
Speaker 2: So I was out.
Speaker 4: The next week, Dennis was starting at left tackle. Dennis ended up having a situation. I'm not gonna talk about his stuff is it's not that's the number one right I've never talked about so like Ray and Dennis had his thing.
Speaker 2: So now we had our third tackle and Jack was out too, So out yeah, Jack. Jack was hurt.
Speaker 4: He was coming back from his injury. I get hurt, so our starters are out, Dennis is now starting. He gets his situation on Wednesday or whatever that week he's out. So we're playing the Houston Texans with our fourth and fifth tackle.
Speaker 2: And it's like it's just wild.
Speaker 4: Kevin pan File, Kevin pant File or pant Field and I don't remember who was starting here at right, and.
Speaker 1: He either got activated or brought Tyler Merris.
Speaker 4: He Tyler did such a great job, dude. He came in and was he was a stuck cause I got hurt in Buffalo too, and he he came in.
Speaker 2: And held his own against Jerry Hughes.
Speaker 4: But yeah, like Tyler's that kind of do too, like kind of he's been lucky enough to be with the Titans.
Speaker 2: Like I think he's going his fourth year. It's kind of like you like he's behind me and Jack and Dennis, and like he's kind of.
Speaker 4: Like on that bubble every single year. He's got that stress, like right now is going to be the most stressful time of the year.
Speaker 2: Figure out what's going on. He handles it so well. He's a man.
Speaker 4: He really had some stuff on pro. But we went into that game and it's like Kevin Panfield. We picked him from Tampa Bay. We like he was on the team for six months, he was starting. And then Tyler has been on the team for three years, but he's never had played, he's never played in a real game, and now he's dressing and playing.
Speaker 2: It's it's just wild how things just happen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and it happens that fast, and no one gives a ship like get there at all, like the head coach, and then they'll look at you like, hey, you're up at your time, like your name is the one being said in meetings now and you sit there with that like nerves feel like yo, I gotta go out there, and I gotta go out there and ball now, like it doesn't matter that I am. I was a fourth guy, or people are going to be like, oh, you know, he made a mistake because he was a four stringer, and the like no, you gotta you gotta perform or you'll get your ass get cut.
Speaker 4: They don't expect any any drop off, Like there's some elite dudes that when then they go down and you're just like fuck man, like your quarterback goes down, yeah, for sure, ship, or like you got a wide receiver, Like it's a big time dude, Like you can't really replace those, right, He's gonna a little bit of a drop and if like things just happened, man, and they expect you to play just as well as that when you're a.
Speaker 1: Star, yeah at the start, and then when you're like that young cat or you're finally getting an opportunity, like you know, that might be your only opportunity you get because if you're say you're a lower rounder, undrafted guy, you might only get one shot. If you're higher, you might get a couple like slap on the wrist and get a few extra chances because you're you know, that's why they drafted you. But when you're on that lower cuff, man, if you don't, if you don't take advantage when you do get when your name is called, like it's like, Okay, he didn't work out, get him out of here. But if you do work out, it's like, oh, we found somebody, we got lucky. Oh it's our scouting department, Like, yeah, this is us, we found him. But if not, it's like, oh he didn't work out. We figured Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's definitely not a shorte of people that want that want to play in the NFL. That's for sure, Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 4: But if you're like, I don't know, the NFL is one thing I feel like talking to full of plays. I mean, I've sat in so many rooms and motivational speakers have come in, and you know, nine times out of ten, I get pretty hyped up. I'm easily hyped because I love watching those motivational videos.
Speaker 2: I should read more. I'm gonna read more.
Speaker 1: Send them to you.
Speaker 2: You need to, Yeah, we do, because I'm all about that. Like I love I love like.
Speaker 4: I just love the idea of like being great. You know what I'm saying. I love like all that kind of stuff. I'm watching those videos and.
Speaker 1: Reading this Taylor like to give you guys kind of start for interrupting. But Taylor will like get hype in the morning, right well, because we work out together and they'll like send me say it's like Econa McGregor or something about law of attraction or something. Joe Rogan said, that's a huge Like he'll like send it, you know, and it'll just get you hype. So that's like what he's talking about when he says he gets super into that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you can't be just like you know, if it's football players, it's easy. You feel.
Speaker 4: You put a video a couple of guys making some big hits, there's a hyped up they go out to play football, Like what's it doing between football players? And then when you go into like a fortune five hundred company, and you got to go and talk to these people that are have been suits their whole life since birth, they've been suits.
Speaker 3: Well, for for me, it's actually the same principles and the same lessons, right. It's finding somebody's burn, it's finding somebody's motivation. It's finding the actual reason why they want to do the work. And if you find the reason why somebody wants to do the work, they're going to go do the work right, And then it's holding them accountable to it. And it's very similar. There's business people who they want you to get them all fired up, right. There's sales teams. I may go give a sales talk and they're like, can you bring the heat like some of those locker room videos we've seen. And then you know there are some athletes who are like, bro, if you bring anything like that, like, don't ever leave me a voicemail again to hype me up for a game. Yeah, there's some NFL players like the messages. To them, it's very chill. It's you know, it's a poison confidence type message. It's more laid back. And then there's other guys like, man, if you're going to leave me a voicemail, you better bring it otherwise, don't leave me a message. So it's the same way, right, because there's gonna be guys in the business world who were former athletes, right, maybe they played high school football, maybe they played college. To me, we all have that adrenaline, and everybody likes that adrenaline up differently. So I believe my goal is I got to connect with somebody and figure out what are they like, what motivates them? And once I find that, man, I'll go get it right. And so I think that's like with Will, one of the things we'd have like maybe keywords, right, I mean, there's so many different things. Man. Once you'd hone in on something like you'd say it to him and he would just be ready to go. And there were almost times he was like I would be like that message was too long for you, wasn't it? Like you just needed me to say this because we've become so close like brothers. He's just like, bro like that, just just give me the three words.
Speaker 1: That's all I had. Yeah, Like I don't need the whole paragraph. Everybody just straight, yeah, straight.
Speaker 2: Will is I got.
Speaker 4: I hate complimenting the boy, but Will is definitely without it. I won't be hardest, like Will wants to be great so bad and it's not just like my whole life since I got a scholarship off ROC talk all the time, I got to offer from Utah State spring ball going into my senior year and I as us an offer from them. I was like, I'm going to the NFL, like that's it, and people are like, well, and then you know, I don't know, it's not I'm going that is it.
Speaker 2: It's done. And I never had a plan, a plan B. It was always like, well, I'm going to the NFL. I'm going to the NFL.
Speaker 4: Will has done such a great job of making his dream scome true of going to the NFL, working so hard, becoming a captain, while the other captain the Redskins right, doing those types of things. But the whole time, I all get in this car and he's listening to some damn podcasts about real estate and he's listening to a podcast about you know, how to diversify your portfolio so your money grows. But and it was like this dude just like want He just wants it.
Speaker 2: Whatever that is. It's it's very admirable to see.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fuck yourself.
Speaker 3: And I believes, well he doesn't. He doesn't realize that that. He inspires the hell out of me too, right, So it's I maybe came in, We'll still do this.
Speaker 1: Ticket.
Speaker 3: Hey it's iron, it's it's iron sharpens iron. But I mean he he definitely motivates me. His story, his belief, his fight, I mean all kinds of crazy stuff. The only issue I've ever had with Will is when we first started speaking together, getting his ass off the stage because we went to Nebraska and it's like, I don't know how you get the mic out of his mouth. I'm glad you get to speak every now and again, you know, because like we'd get I remember the one time we went to that military university, right, and he's all these troops, and I think he's fired up because he's speaking to the troops, right, And it was I think we each had twenty minutes and you know, so he's got twenty, I've got twenty. He goes first, We're like thirty five minutes in. I'm like, bro, I just want to like thank him for their I.
Speaker 5: Gotta say hi, yeah, we got to get you off the stage. And then he's like, did I go too long? And I'm like, yeah, you took the whole time. So I'm glad you've taught him. He's got to share, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I don't think I'm I talk more than him.
Speaker 3: Well, I always tell him, you know, there's three boys in the family. I say, this is the only family I've ever met where literally like you're like the only child, yet there's three children, you know what I mean. He doesn't share, He doesn't do any of that.
Speaker 4: Now, down through the little things where transition actually a table person, I really think about it.
Speaker 1: You get down on a naty greedy but how like so you you are where you are now, but it all started somewhere, like you get down in Michigan State. Why like why all of a sudden are you now being told or asked to speak? Why are you now in these rooms? Like where where did it start? Where did it come from? Because you worked in Northwestern Mutual. Correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was a financial advisor over ten years, and yeah, I mean I had a great run, you know, on that professional side of things. But you know what, I always look at the tough stuff I've been through and how I responded. That defines the person that you become. Right, So, if it wasn't enough my mom and my dad and all these things, I was a paper broker in Chicago. I was engaged for thirteen hours to my sweetheart. Right, had I gone to Michigan, maybe I would have worked out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll tell you. You hear your motivational speaker. I just can't imagine like someone coming from Michigan State Like, I feel like the only motivation is getting the hell out of there.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: You have to think to yourself, man, like, that's why when you knew man, my mom, my dad. But I got the fuck out of this call. That's why other thing and and now and now your.
Speaker 2: Motivation is me. I'm really happy for you. You've come this far.
Speaker 3: Oh god, so engaged thirteen That won't be the end of it either, now that he's opening it up. Yeah, so engaged thirteen hours. Thank god? She told me no otherwise I wouldn't have the life that I have. I go back to the first time I was invited to speak, right, I got paid five hundred bucks. I'm like, this is the thing. And then like after that, I would get coffee cups, you know, And then you got to come home and tell your wife like, hey, I got a coffee cup to speak. She's looking like, how the hell is that going to pay the bills? Right when I go to San Diego and they give you this beautiful picture book and everybody signs it. Yet they paid my expenses, right, So, like you live in this this land where here's my dream, here's where I know I can get to. And everybody always ask me. They're like, you work for Alabama Football, you work for Kansas State, but you've worked for Microsoft, Like how did you start. I'm like, well, I didn't start there, right. Everybody wants that, and you know, you hop on social media these days and everybody's an author, everybody's a speaker, and I wish the best everybody because I'm an abundant guy, right, But you got to put in the work, and everybody wants the end result. Nobody wants to do the work and it's like, look, I hope you do become a great speaker. I hope you do write books, but have a willingness to do the work right, right, So I spoke, What did I tell you? I spoke to my high school basketball team. That's my first work in sports. I've gone back for eight years, still giving back to my high school basketball team because I love my coaches. They've helped me become the man that I am today. Right, you've met him, You've come back to my high school. So it's all those little things that you have a willingness to do because there's passion and you've got to fire inside you to go do it rather than focusing on money, focusing on the results. And most people don't want to do the work these that's whatever.
Speaker 2: That's where everyone wants to quick fix.
Speaker 4: Everyone wants to just be rich and they want to be famous in all this and it's like it's we talked about it in a podcast before. It's like people see the results of what football's done for us, not the hard work that we put in to get the result of football. Like you know, Sundays are great, but there's camped, there's working out, there's literally no off season, you have to go. You get a couple of weeks of vacation, but you're working out all the time, trying to stay on top of it. Me and we are always talking about nutrition, We're talking about our workouts, and all that stuff accumulates over time, and it's like, you know, there's a lot of you always see those little motivational posters and it's like a it's a cat hanging from a branch and it's like just keep.
Speaker 2: On going or whatever. But then you see like the uh with the iceberg, and it like shows the tip.
Speaker 4: Of the iceberg, that success, but you see it built like how you build everything, and people don't see all the hard work you put in. And then you have the tip of the iceberg, which is like what everybody actually wants. But anything, anything worth having or doing, you have to work for.
Speaker 3: But here, here, here's the crazy thing. You give that iceberg example. Here here's the wildness. And sometimes I like to be more direct, just to like shake up the listeners to realize what we're talking about. Here they see that, and they still don't see what's beneath the water, like they literally see it. And it's like somebody just like that's actually how you get there, right, Like, do you want to see the reps that Taylor's put in? You want to see the footwork that he's put in, You want to see the number of hours that Will's put in, all the stuff that's below and you could put that, they don't see it. All they still see is the Iceberger. It's like people fight the fact that, like you have to work in order to get the things that you want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I.
Speaker 3: Do you do you ever like watch guys like well, I appreciate that, thank you.
Speaker 4: Do you ever watch guys like Tony Robbins or Eric Thomas, like those individual speakers and like take things from them, learn things from them or anything like that.
Speaker 3: So I like to learn from everybody. I mean I read books like Crazy. Eric Thomas and I actually hung out for a couple of days at BAMA training Camp last year, which was a great time. And what I pay attention to is how does he interact with people? Right? So, yeah, I heard his talk. His talk was great, but like how does he interact with people?
Speaker 2: Speaker?
Speaker 3: Yeah, great speaker, but like watching him, you know, we'd be eating and it we'd be eating with the players. How's he interacting with the that's the stuff I want to see, like how do you treat people? How do you deal with people? What are the questions that you ask? And he's engaging with guys, right, So it's like if I meet somebody, like, I don't want to know, Taylor, what that makes you great? I want to hear, like what did you do to get to where you are? Like, I want to learn when you meet somebody. So those are the things I look for. And of course, I mean the moment you stop growing, you're done, right, I mean if you just say, oh, I've made it to this point. And we always talk about the seduction of success. You can't be seduced by success, right, you have to have that belief and pa, I mean standard over feelings, which is what I learned. Man, we can clear this up.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by that you can't be seduced by success?
Speaker 3: So Will taught me something called standard over feelings.
Speaker 1: I got that from Tony Robbins.
Speaker 3: Okay, so standard over standard, standard over feelings. So and then I came up with seduction of success.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: So as he kind of took me through this, I said, all right, well, from what I've seen the people I've shared the stage with, the people that I've learned from books I've read. The highest performers are not seduced by success. So the moment that you have achievement, you actually crave more. You realize, like, because of that achievement that makes me realize what I can, I'm gonna go get after it again tomorrow. And most people, let's give sales right, business world, they sell something great yesterday, they walk into the office. Man, I'm not going to dial the phone for like a week. I may not dial the phone. You see that commission check I'm going to get And the next thing, you know, three months later, they're like, what happened to my business? Right? And you're like, dude, you didn't work for three months. Now we average out that big commission over three months, it's average. And then they're upset what happened? You got seduced by your success rather than realizing that's the moment where you really grow if I don't define myself by that check and I say, man, I can get after it again tomorrow, And then you say, how can I get better tomorrow? And that becomes a cycle. You do it over and over and over again. That's grit, you know, that's conviction, passion, perseverance, getting after it one day at a time. That's how you become great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's definitely it.
Speaker 1: No, that's what. No, that's what I said. I like the seduction of success because it's all about the whole standard. Old feelings is the thing that I learned from Tony Robbins. Listen to all his YouTube stuff. You have this standard. Like me personally, like when I listen when I listen to that, whenever he was talking, it's like, Okay, Will Compton, what do I want to be? Okay, I want to be a Pro Bowl linebacker? What does a Pro Bowl? Okay? Are you start with the end of mind? So okay, it's Pro Bowl? Right? I want to be great. I want to be a great linebacker. What is a great linebacker do on a daily basis? And it's that standard you write out for yourself. Because day one, Will Compton, when we're motivated in the off season and we're about to go day one, the boy gets in talent and we're ready to go day one, that same Will Compton is not going to feel the same as day thirty, Will Compton, Day thirty, we'll start having his feelings like you wake up, you might want to snooze that alarm a extra more times, we might want to take a day off. But if you have that standard written out of what the pro bowl version of Will Compton looks like, and what does a pro bowl or doing on a daily basis, how does he eat, how does he talk to himself, what does he listen to, what is he reading? And how does he go about his life? Compared to if you just go by your feelings all the time, you're gonna wake up, You're gonna you feel sorry. Here, I'm a little more soret today. I'm gonna eat this food. I'm gonna eat these treats are desserts. I'm going to, you know, talk to myself in in a feeling sorry way, like, Okay, you put all this work in yesterday, get seduced a little bit by that success, and you don't continue to live out that standard that you wrote for yourself on day one. That's why I think it's super important things down because you see it and you remind yourself, Okay, this is where I was when I was super motivated compared to how I'm feeling now in the dog days of a season or a training camp and stuff like that. So that's, uh, that's why I like the whole standard over feelings mantra.
Speaker 4: The unfortunate thing is a lot of times people do have success and they're not going to want success again until they have that failure next. Yeah, they'll go and they'll this is so great, and then you think you're so great, and then all of a sudden a couple of things happen and you're like, well, maybe I'm not so good. You feel sorry for yourself, then yeah, take it up and make yourself and it makes you appreciate what the success actually was that day to.
Speaker 1: Day absolutely, and then overcoming that you you your character is built through how you respond in adversity, right, Like, yeah, we're all gonna be successful at certain periods of time, but like you just say, like, you're gonna get humbled, you're gonna get kind of shaken, a little bit, But how you respond is ultimately who you were in the first place. You just needed to realize that, you know, my shit isn't what I thought it smelt like all the time. And then you overcome that, and then you're even more of a fucking bad as Yes, more of a fucking wolf, I guess.
Speaker 3: But I've always believed that if you put it in the hard work, then you're prepared when the bad stuff happens. And if you don't put in the work, you're not prepared. And a lot of that is the mental side, right, That's the big difference, is the mental side, because maybe a young guy does come in, right and he all of a sudden he's pushing you. But then it's your mental belief in yourself. It's the push. It's all those reps that start to come out. It's that belief and you're like, I don't care who this guy is, I don't care what the position is. Nobody's taking anything away from me because I own this right right, And it's just a different level of belief that comes out. Man, that fire lights up in your eyes and you could just I mean, it's just you just attack it.
Speaker 1: We're getting super motivated in this pod right now. Boys.
Speaker 4: I always wonder about that, like you just have a good point. Like I always wonder like, when is he going to be the point where someone does come in and challenge They will not challenge me, but so they do draft left tackle and I do you have like, Okay, this is the guy that's going to take over lawan spot. He's getting old, he's this that, Like I wonder how I'm gonna hopefully, like I always think about that. I hope I handle that with poise, and I hope I like I help that guy because when I came in, I didn't get a lot of help from the older guys, and so I had to go do it kind of go do it on my own. And I hope that when the guy comes in, whoever that person might be, hopefully he's in elementary school right now, like he comes and let me, let me take you through this, like this is how I learned to be a better play this is that, but still like obviously play like that.
Speaker 2: I think that's the difference.
Speaker 4: Like being motivated isn't like, you know, knocking someone down to take a step up. It's if you help everybody go up, like being the best time you learn is when you're teaching. So I'm helping that person whoever, whoever he is. You know, hopefully he's in diaperson. I'll be able to handle aver. If you called himself new Dell, we have to.
Speaker 1: Fight, yea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the window right there I don't know if you guys have shared this yet, if you talked much about London Fletcher, but exactly what you're describing is exactly how London Fletcher treated you. Yeah, for sure, you know London Fletcher. I just remember the stories you told me of you know, he would literally wait in the hot tub and he'd be waiting and you would chat and you'd ask him questions and he'd answer, and the reality was like he was on his last legs, he was finishing his career, and he could have been like why am I going to get He knows he's a Hall of Famer and he knows. I mean, why would I talk to this kid like why am I going to give him any busins?
Speaker 4: It's way easier to be that guy when you know you're gonna be a Hall of Famer or you know, like you've hit the top. It's those guys that you know had some success, was kind of consistent in that area, but never really got I think, did it big.
Speaker 3: But you know, but London London was always that dude.
Speaker 1: I know, I know you're saying because literally you're saying that, and I'm kind of thinking, like I was. It was hard sometimes to step out of my zone and help her Shawn for Sewan because I was kind of like, it's not like I know I'm going to be some Hall of Famer and I've already done what I've done in the NFL. It's like I knew they drafted a guy in the first round. I signed here to challenge and have a role on the team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you can say that to be humble. But I remember last year when we talked and you were helping, you were helping Rashan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I definitely I definitely helped him, helping them.
Speaker 1: In my mind, he's talking about battle.
Speaker 3: Absolute yeah, absolutely right.
Speaker 1: Like you're sitting there like do I want to do I want to fully help him because I want to play the spot he's playing.
Speaker 3: But to me, to me this now you're talking about what legacy is. Right, So you didn't want to do it, but you did it. Something tells me if you ever get that feeling, you may not want to do it, but you just vocaliz you're gonna do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 3: And then you're gonna be home and you're gonna be touching that guy. You're gonna be like bro man, I had a hell of a run. I love this game. This game was good to me. And man, I'm watching, I'm enjoying what you're doing out there, and you're gonna know you're gonna have a piece of the next flip of that belief in him that caused him to go on and have a great career. That's what legacy is all about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's just crazy. How like I'm twenty eight now, so I'm old as fuck, but I remember being like.
Speaker 4: In high school, and I remember being like my first couple of years in college, even the end of college, and my first couple of years in the NFL, thinking like this is the only thing that matters. I think, how good like how you're known in football, and the older you get, you get married. He said that you have a kid like he realized, like just being you know, your character of who you are off the field is the most important thing. So if I'm if I'm meet some kid who's trying to take my job and I treat him like an asshole, He's always going to remember me as an asshole. He's never going to remember me for who I know I am, or how I treat my friends. And so that would be more important to me. I think that would override any egotistical battle. I hope with like, you know, playing the game of football, like I want to be this, I want to play ten more years. I want to do, like you know, achieve all these you know goals that really at the end of they don't mean very much. It's a team spoil you know, these individuals don't truly mean as much as you feel that they do when you're in.
Speaker 1: The moment, Yeah, there is there a moment where that kind of clicks for you and you thought that way or is it kind of a combination or was there a conversation maybe a vet I know when you were telling me this sort about Whitworth and guys you look up to, like, was there ever a moment where you're like, yo, this is I'm changing my perspective or maybe a drive home and your listeners.
Speaker 4: My I think my moment for me was after this last season, the twenty eighteen season, I hated football. I I really did not like playing the game at all. I didn't I was met at the coaches. I didn't get along with my offensive line coach. Me and Rabel got back got out a lot and I was like what the fuck? Like I was, I just I was like, how do because I told will Wi first mail, I'll play it forever, I don't even care, and I like, I still wanted to play more. But I was also like mad about football and all these different things. And what I learned was is it wasn't any of their fault.
Speaker 2: It was mine. Like I was the one that was being a cancer. I was the one that was self entitled.
Speaker 1: Not necessarily people as like he's he wasn't a cancer. I know what you're saying, Yeah in your own mind.
Speaker 4: My mind, in my mind, I guess more than anything, I was a cancer to myself right right, So like I wasn't going in the locker room like saying a bunch of stuff for any musicst in to that. But what I did do was I I did feel a little self entitled. I signed a big contract, and I felt, you know, I deserve this and I deserve that. Why are they treating me like this and not taking on that master responsibility. I still played well. I had a good season last year, but I didn't really see the responsibility that I had when I signed that big contract, And I think I thought things are more owde to me than that. I actually, you know, I should have been giving instead of receiving. So I'm looking at myself. I'm in California and I'm sitting there and I'm listening in the ocean. I'm sitting on the beach looking out, and I'm like, it's not It's not anybody's fault of mind that I'm feeling this way. Like I that resistance I was getting from verybel He's a great he's a great coach, and you know, there's always gonna be things that he and I agree and disagree on, but at the end of the day, like his goal is to make sure a team goes in the right direction. And I was causing resistance. I was I was dragging them down a little bit in that, whether it was in my head or not. So having that control, having the understanding of knowing what you can control, is the only thing that actually matters. And if someone comes to you, if someone came to me and said fuck you, well I know that that probably has nothing to do with.
Speaker 2: Me the words that they said. It has more to do everything that's going on with them.
Speaker 4: And I was the guy saying fuck you the whole time because I was, you know, I felt all these things that I thought I deserved when and reality wasn't real, And so I had to start reading more. I started, you know, I actually like I had to get off my phone more. I had to like start doing things to make myself grow. And now I went in and these OTAs have been the most fun OTAs. The camp has been the most fun. Like it's because I'm only focusing on the things of control and accepting the responsibility that I do have on this team, and so those are it's always hard to admit because you never want to be the bad guy or feel like the villain. But it was definitely something that I needed to start taking a hold of and understanding, like, you know, you're in your six you got to you gotta be a leader. You know, you got to be a guy that you can't just be dicking around all the time and just be laughing. And you got to know when's a good time to joke, when's a good time to you know, be serious, and and finding that balance of stuff like that.
Speaker 2: But and so those things definitely helped me.
Speaker 4: Kind of realize that it's not as important to have the accolades and stuff like that. It's more important when I leave this locker room whenever it is that these coaches and these players that I play with, said, man, Taylor is a good dude, Like he cared about the boys. You know, they'll their kids will hang out with my daughter and be like, yeah, my dad, my dad looked dead.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: That's that's the ship. I was like, man, like, it's so important. It's so important to be It's not important that how people view you, but it's important to have peace in your own self right. You know, people people say, don't be so self centered. I think it's really important to be self centered, because what is self centerce we have the center of yourself, you know, and understanding like who you are and how what motivates you and your character. So, yeah, it was tough. It was definitely a tough off season for sure. But it's like, I'm really grateful once I started to figure it out, really grateful to know that, you know, it's the the dislike or displeasure of football is totally within my own hands, whether it's going I'm playing well or not, Like it's all that perception, you know, Perception is reality.
Speaker 1: That's what I hear that's why I hang out with that motherfucker.
Speaker 2: Well, I kind of think I went all over the place too.
Speaker 3: No, so here, here's what I captured in hearing that, and I would go even just a little bit deeper. Is the stories people are going to tell your daughter about how in year six you flip the switch where you already have this in you. I mean, I've watched you play, I watched him try to take you off the field, and you're coming back on the field, but literally this mentality that you've never approached six seconds of play as intently as and intentionally with as much fire as you do now because of your daughter, and because people are going to say you had to scrape daddy off the field to get him off the field, you had to pull him out of the locker room, to get him out of the locker roo because he would have done anything for his teammates, whether it was on the field or in the locker room. And it's all about legacy. And I think you flip that switch to having the ability to look your daughter in the eyes because reality is you're probably gonna be playing ten years from now. Right Well maybe okay, so.
Speaker 2: Probably will, but I don't have an ego, right, But you know what I'm.
Speaker 3: Saying, Like when it comes to your daughter, she may not get to see you in your prime, and your prime is right here, and embrace it like you never have before, because your daughter is watching every single move that you make. And that's not what I realize. Like with my mom, Like people are like, man, like your mom died eleven days for your eighth birth How do you remember any of this? And that's all I had, right, all I had was eleven days for my eighth birthday. That's it, right, So kids pay attention. Right, everybody's watching your behavior, and I think it's an exciting time for you. Where now that you've made it through that mentally and you just watch what happens, right, you'll turn up to a whole other level.
Speaker 4: The thing is, it's not like the the blessing and the curse of like the mind is. It's not just like a oh, I've reached.
Speaker 2: That level and that's it.
Speaker 4: Like it's a constant maintenance and constant work. It like, stay on top of those things, right, bless them now. And if I if I don't, like you know, stay reading or or keep up on you myself or you know, I always my wife is such My wife is so smart, she's so incredibly intelligent, and she's she can break things down. And the story I loved telling is when I was in year two, after my second season, people are talking about replacing me, Matt Neely keyboard Warriors, probably saying we gotta get we hear this guy. You know those types of guys.
Speaker 2: Listen, Matt, I'm just kidding's now, you know that.
Speaker 3: I yeah, that's always.
Speaker 2: Been a fan.
Speaker 4: But I do say that there are big titan faithful people that wanted me out. And I met my wife right.
Speaker 2: After that offseason.
Speaker 4: I met her June thirty July January thirty first a proposer five weeks later, and she helped me just like kind of realize the bigger picture. And the one thing that always sat with me is like, if your life was like a garden and you have all these different pieces of your life, whether it's social life, your business life, your family life, and all I gave these pots and if I'm watering the football one all the time, that's great, and that one's going to grow, but look at all these other ones dying around it, and you're and if those die that's going to affect the plant that's living too, And so you got to continuously water all these plants all the time and stay on top of it and kind of check and balances when you get to watch yourself a little bit like Okay, I'm dipping into the negative a little over here. I gotta go water that plant for a second. Stay on top of those things. If you're not so anally focused.
Speaker 2: That's what I was.
Speaker 4: I was like, I gotta do this. I got to do foot both. I got to I was like strangling myself that it was actually holding me back. And once I let go and allowed myself to, you know, have a relationship like I do with my wife and you know, socially and everywhere else.
Speaker 2: And I am more like a healthy version of all that.
Speaker 4: Like I've sense that I made three Pro bowls in a row and it's just crazy and I have like we joke all the time. She goes, uh, the first contract that was yours, that second contract's mine.
Speaker 2: I was like, you damn, You're damn right. She's awesome, man.
Speaker 4: But it does it definitely puts things in perspective. And I say that when we talked about earlier, how you know, sometimes you got to fall, like you have that success, you got to fall to know how good that success tasted. Because my first year I didn't play the first five games, I still made All Rookie Team. I was a first round draft pick, and I felt like I was on top of the world.
Speaker 2: Well after that.
Speaker 4: Second season, I was like, I was like, holy shit, like I might be at a league in a couple of years. People are calling for my head and like that motivates you, it makes you want to be better. But I know now going through both those that someday, if you're going to be hey, you too old, Bud, You're too old, there's a faster kid out there that's gonna take your job. And if you don't stay on top of it, you know, you get last a year or two longer after that, but eventually it's gonna catch up to you.
Speaker 2: Except for Tom Brady.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, no doubt, man, I think uh, I think that just kind of is relatable to everybody, that everybody constantly fucking goes through speed bumps. Right Like you're sitting there saying that, I'm thinking about my rookie year, like when I didn't get activated and I was on peace squad the whole year, and when I was like really bitter about it and pissed off that like when somebody tore their ACL they went out and got you know, somebody else to play special teams and not be the backup. And it's like, yo, I thought you guys were gonna activate me, and you know, dude.
Speaker 3: You called me week thirty. Every week from week thirteen on he was activated, the coach told him this, bro, this is the week. Yeah, literally from week thirteen on.
Speaker 1: Hey, and I'd be so pissed off, and you had asked if I'm still doing the prize Frider day, like still check marking the boxes and the things that kind of got me to where I was.
Speaker 2: I was a prize fighter day.
Speaker 3: So I believe similar to what you just said about water in the plants, I share what I call a price fighter day. So it's doing things that are personal, professional athletic, or of service to others and make sure every day you're checking something in all those boxes that are one hundred percent in your control, putting all your effort in so you can say I won the day. And if you can stack winning those days, you can actually have balance in your life. Right, an all pro professional football player can have balance, right, be a hell of a dad, be a hell of a husband, read books, and do all those water the water the right plants every day. Not go he it's football season, don't I won't read a book. It's football season. I won't hang out with my wife. No, it's you can do those things if you choose to do them, and that that's what he's referring to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, still find that balance too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure, sorry for sure. But all I'm saying is like you need those people in your life to check you and kind of like you got to look in the mirror, like, yo, okay, will are you doing these things that Ben asked you about? Like this year when I, you know, when stuff would go down with me and I had that injury and I was out for like four or five weeks, and you know, I wasn't having the most fun either, and kind of taking on my new role of being a guy in the background and kind of just being a camaraderie guy. And then charl would question me a lot about like you don't think you're just going through a phase, or Hey, how's that new book that you're reading? Or I thought you weren't gonna I thought you said you were gonna eat those things, or they kind of just check you and to make you look in the mirror and realize, like, am I being holding my own self accountable through like these questions. That's why it's so it's super important to have people in your life that hold you accountable, check you, check up on you, review with you what's going on and whether or not you might say something that might be a white lie. In the beginning, you're still standing there brushing my teeth at night, knowing, Okay, am I really doing these things that that they asked me about that like Ben asked me about that, Charle asked me about like am I holding myself accountable in that nature? Or am I just going through a phase and just kind of feeling sorry for myself? So everybody goes through that shit, man, That's why it's important you are. You are who you surround yourself with. That's why we're around each other all the time. That's why we're always like feeding each other's minds with like with stuff. We have our partners at home, you have our mentors, You have guys that you want to lean on, like yo, or a younger that you want to teach and you're actually getting something from him even though you don't realize it. Like you're getting something from somebody younger than you that you're giving to and you're just like kind of clinging on to them. It's super important, it's super important.
Speaker 2: It's it's uh, I don't know, man.
Speaker 4: People People have such a knack for feeling fucking sorry for themselves. It's a wild now, It's it's crazy. How if you just if you just took a moment and learned about yourself five minutes a day, sat there, didn't do anything, and you don't have to cross your legs and say, oh, you know, and meditation is in all forms. I could sit here like this for five minutes just kill myself. What's bothering me? Why is it bothering me? And the more you learn that it's not gonna be like you're gonna have the perfect attitude all the time. But what it does do is if when I do snap, it gives me a chance to say, five minutes later, be like, Okay, why is that bothering?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: This is going on distresses on me. Well I can't let that affect this. So I can go and you know, diffuse any situation and I'll let it build on top of itself.
Speaker 2: But if you never take the time.
Speaker 4: To learn anything about you, you're gonna always it's like blame other people. And if you blame other people, you're it's most of the time, if you're pointing at somebody else and it's your.
Speaker 2: Fault, it's probably something you've done right, you know.
Speaker 4: That's why it's so it's depression is a huge thing, and especially now in twenty nineteen, it's so huge because there's so many ways to not sit with yourself or it's almost mind numbing for people. You can get on social media and sit there on Twitter for hours, Instagram for hours and you never have to actually check in with the reality.
Speaker 2: That's hurting you in the back end. Yeah, you know, one thing leads to another.
Speaker 4: They keep compounding on top of each other and then people start blaming Well, you're just you're a fuck.
Speaker 2: You're a football player and you live the best.
Speaker 4: Like listen, I've had my own adversity with my family, Like I've grown up a certain way that I mean, they're you know, live and around. So I'm not going to like dive in you know, on a podcast about it. But you know, we've had We've had a lot of issues that I've had that I've had to work through. But it's not like I just came out of the room with a goal, with a cape on, with a conta.
Speaker 2: Nothing goes on and we've done it everyone else.
Speaker 4: It's just like it's it's like the more you feel sorry for yourself, the more you're gonna you're have more things to feel sorry for yourself about. So stop, like, stop complaining people. It's so easy to find things to complain about, and it's really it's really hard to.
Speaker 2: Find things to be happy about. It's crazy.
Speaker 4: If you on your if like people tell me the journal all the time, I really do need to start doing it. But if you just say five things a day, you're grateful for the positivity and it's the law of attraction and see it's the universe.
Speaker 2: If you just if you.
Speaker 4: Speaking positive, you speak in a positive tone all the time, it's gonna it's gonna end up that way. But if you're constantly shitting on yourself, whether it's a joke or not, you're gonna that you're gone, it's gonna come. It's gonna come get you people, gonna stop feeling sorry for yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I always talk about the burn, as I mentioned earlier, and the burn is that underlying fire that really lights the purpose and the why, because I think there's a lot of guys talk about purpose and why and and it's like, well, man, I don't really know what those things are. Well, tell me what the burn is. Tell me like when you think about this, like taking no action is not on the other side of these thoughts, right. So for me, every day waking up thinking about my mom and I actually put together this burn challenge where I encourage people every day, first thing you do, before you check text message, before you do this, wake up and just write out what your burn is in a journal for thirty days. Just write one sentence. Yeah, one sentence, and I'm on day twenty two right now. I don't even need to do this. I've been thinking about my purpose and my burn every day, my whole damn life because of what I had to see. I'm setting an example. And you know how many people they message me on Instagram like what is this? You know, and it's what is this? And then it's like that you can just tell from their tone like what kind of nonsense? It's what nonsense?
Speaker 1: Is this not?
Speaker 3: Hey, help me understand the meaning of this. And then some people can make but people don't realize what you think about. You one hundred percent control your mindset. You can either control your mindset and say papers wrote about me, papers said this paper did that, or I mean, if we had more time, we could sit here and say, what did you really think about when the paper saw that? Right, there was some fire that said, man, I'm gonna go into the weight room now with your with your baby girl. Right, you wake up every day and you think about the example that you set for your baby girl. The other side of that is not getting your reps in in the gym. The other side of that is not doing what it takes to be recognized as one of the greatest left tackles to ever play the game. Right, You've done the Pro Bowls, but now we take it to the next level. Right, And most people don't realize you control those thoughts. And as you have those, life changes and things change. First, baby I had man. Life changed. It's like, now you're an example for somebody else. Now legacy means something else. Now I'm taking the pen that my mother passed to me, I get to pass it to my son. I get to pass it to my daughter. That's a hell of a responsibility and something I will absolutely attack every single day to make sure I can touch as many lives as I can. And like to me, you think about something like that, you think about your daughter in that context, getting after it right, one play at a time. That's like it's easy, but most people don't realize you one hundred percent can control thinking that way. They'd rather get up and say, gosh, my boss did this yesterday, And that's because it's easier. I'd rather have that than actually do what it takes to control your mind.
Speaker 2: It's a victim's mentality.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it's crazy.
Speaker 4: Like I'll watch my daughter. I'll watch my daughter watch my wife, and my wife will go do something. It might she'll walk away and then the wind will come up behind her and pretend to do the same thing. And then they'll go the next thing, and like my she coughs, my daughter will be like like pretending to cough. Like the bean is she's a sponge. I mean it's not just the bean, it's everybody. But might call my daughter the bean for those.
Speaker 2: Who are listening. She's a complete stuff. She's so awesome.
Speaker 1: Did we drop the fucking gym today?
Speaker 2: Is there anything else where we really need to hit on?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Ben, you got anything else?
Speaker 2: And then you want to do you have for people?
Speaker 4: For people that do have connected with the things they've heard on this that they can follow you. What kind of social media is you got?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So at continued fight is uh is my social media?
Speaker 2: That's the primary?
Speaker 3: Well, that's that's Instagram, that's Twitter, and those are the most popular ones.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: What about a website?
Speaker 3: Website is Ben Newman dot net, Okay dot net And if you go to b n C speakers dot com, you go to b n C speakers dot com, you'll find Big Willie over here, one of our speakers. We've been on the road. We've probably done thirty something speaking engagements together. And Will's a hell of a speaker. I told you I was joking that you couldn't get him off the stage. Yeah, but I'll tell you what, this is one of the most intelligent guys I've met. I remember we went to North Dakota State. We had just come off of actually, so I was there four years for the head coach, took me to Kansas State with him, and three of the four years we won a national championship. He comes in the year after we had followed short of winning the national championship, and the way he inspired those kids, man, they still fricking talk about it, and we ended up going back to back the years after that man inspired the quarterback who just got drafted by the Chargers, Like his level of inspiration is really something else. And that's why I know for him that fire because I think back to when we were in your apartment, when you were on practice squad. We went out to dinner to celebrate it. I came out to see him and he was right now, he's on practice squad talking about I'm gonna have camps, I'm gonna give back in my community, I'm gonna speak, I'm gonna do all these things. He didn't hold back the fact that he was on practice squad to keep him from believing he would have camps, believing he would save money. You wrote down you believe you'd invest in real estate. And far too many people are worried about the chapter where they are and how they're never going to get to where they're going rather than recognizing the chapter where you are right now might be the best damned chapter, and you solidifying the foundation that's going to give you the mindset to go conquer and achieve everything you want in your life. And that's what you've done. And that's why I love this guy to death. I'm sure you can tell, but he's like an uncle to my kids. I would do anything for this guy, and that's why I want the listeners to know. Forget following me like I would do anything for this dude, and that, to me, that's what life is all about. It's about knowing you've got relationships like this. I could call this dude at three o'clock in the morning and say, Bro, something went down in Saint Louis, And unless there was something that he absolutely couldn't do it, he'd be like, bro, I'm in the car. He'd be like, brow, I'm in the car. And I always dreamed he would answer that he would come for me, and now he tells me he'd sleep.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I'll go looking for a new friend, doing good.
Speaker 1: Joe hyping me up. There's an Alabama transfer. It was that long snapper. He came from Bama.
Speaker 3: Yup, Scott, he's a band now, Yeah, Scott.
Speaker 1: He came up to me when we were there working on He's like, hey, do you know Ben Newman? And I was like, yeah, I know Newman. He's like, Yo, He's talked about you a lot. Man Like it was probably it was a really cool thing. Knowing he transferred from there and came from somewhere I've never even been, and knowing that you probably you know, said say these nice things. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I remember one of the linebackers from Bama before the National Championship last year, you mentioned on an elevator somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was cool. He say. We were at the Pro Bowl. J Mosley's brother cousin Jamie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, brother, and we.
Speaker 1: Were on the elevator at the Pro Bowl and he said the same thing, like you know Ben Newman. I was like, yeah, I know Ben. That's my boy. He's like, man, he always comes to Baman and says a lot of great stuffcause'mitting there thinking, I always get curious, knowing you're about to go in another locker room, what is going to be the feedback just because you know you stepped in the sports world, not like that long ago, like I what five however long seven years ago?
Speaker 3: Now twenty thirteen was the first time.
Speaker 1: I'm always wondering, like when you step in these new life locker rooms, like how guys are going to take some of this stuff in. I always get curious. I know how I took it in, But you know, there's a sometimes there's levels of think you know, think about it.
Speaker 3: There's two things going through my mind that I that I got to share before we stop. First one is every message has to be different. When coach Climbing went from North Kota State and he went to Kansas State and we sat down because he would always have me develop a theme for the season, right, and this season it's pound the Stone. I've never used pound the Stone at Alabama. I've never used pund the Stone at North Kota State, never used it with the Dolphin, never used it anywhere, right, So for me, like, it's got to be something fresh, it's got to be something new. And too many coaches think, well, I'll go from here and I'll just pick it up and I'll put it over here. Man, you got to find out how those guys tick. You got to find out what's in their locker room. You got to find out how they think. And then I had a buddy of mine, Joshua Medcalf, who wrote a book called Pound the Stone. Let me use it. But I think it's finding what's actually going to resonate. And it's been a blessing that we've been able to find these messages that have worked, and they have and then the behavior comes behind it. They rally around it. No different than for the boys. Right I'm sitting here watching from home knowing you two dudes were the ones who did that, and that was one of the proudest moments, no, and that like, even though you weren't getting everything that you wanted last year and the time that you wanted it, you were in there, the two of you for the boys, getting those guys to rally, getting those guys to give all them stuffs. Dude, that's the stuff that it's all about. It's keep it's continuing to fight when you don't want to do it. And here here's the beauty of this formain. I've got to tell this story because we wouldn't be sitting on this bus right now, and none of these stories of people you've met in my ability to share your story to inspire others. And it's a crazy inspiration. Bro that first training camp that I go to to see him, right, So for four weeks we get together, We're doing all this mental training stuff. This is the story, none of this. We're not here right, all right? So I literally.
Speaker 2: This train got I gotta put it out.
Speaker 1: Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Sorry. So he calls me the day before I'm supposed to get there and he says, Bro, he goes, there's something really bad with my hamstrings. So I get there. Turns out we didn't know and at the time he had a torn hamstring. So he comes from practice, he says, meet me at the Team hotel. And I'm thinking I'm just gonna be hanging out at training camp, and it's like, oh man, we got to go work. So we meet across from the Starbucks. We're at the Omni Hotel in Richmond, Virginia, and I sit across from him and I looked at him and I said, Bro, I'm like, can you go? And He's like, I could go, I could go, And I'm like, who knows. What's the situation is? Can you go without hurting yourself and causing long term damage? Can you go and he's like, bro, I can go. I'm gonna get this thing strapped up. There's one trainer I can trust. I'm gonna go in there. I'm gonna get strapped up. I can go. I said, go do your thing, Go take what belongs to you. He went out that practice, he had an interception, he had a pick six on Kirk Cousins, and another ball that you dropped for an interception. And it was that day where he became a member of the Washington Redskins. But he made the choice to fight through the pain and then we find out what was it two years later. He actually played on a fully torn hamstring for almost two full years. And you've got people bitching that they can't take the nuts step in their life. If anybody's tweaked their hamstring, they don't want to walk. And you've played on it for two years and everything that has happened in this entire story, You guys wouldn't have this relationship if you wouldn't have stepped on that field. Because when you're seven out of seven on the depth chart, right when you're seven out of seven and you go in there and say I got a bad Hammy Taylor what do they do? Hey, bro, go ahead and pack your bags and get out of here. We don't have time to worry about you. We're gonna get somebody else. And you always fought, man, I've always fought.
Speaker 1: Thank you. That's unbelievable at continued fight. Appreciate you wolves. Go out there and be a fucking wolf today. That's all I fucking got man BUSTINWTV dot com, follow, subscribe, rate the pod five stars, go have a tremendous day, and, as your dad says, big hugs and the tiniest of kisses.