Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania One Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalusy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: And as we begin the bonus hour, the buses are rolling out of Saint Vincent and over to Latrow Memorial. Good evening, Good evening, Stealer Nation. How we do it? Well, that's good. It is the bonus hour of the drive here. I think it was nine, nine or ten buses matting and they just there's that would make ten. Okay, I think that's number ten right there, bringing up the kaboos here with a couple uh police cars obviously as well too, so if you are listening to Matt, and I live down there at Latro Memorial. In about five, six, seven minutes here, the buses will be rolling in, campus will be jumping getting I was surprised, but it took me about six minutes to get from there. You didn't police, I didn't have a police escort right now. I'm sure there's a little more traffic and a little more commotion down there now the way, but I would think, uh, in about about five minutes here or so, maybe again, maybe closer to ten. Because buses also, even with the police are they probably move a little slower than your boy does.
Speaker 3: But it will be super keep ten of them together.
Speaker 2: That that that as well too, that's the part that always uh, Like Matt, I've told you the stories, and some of them on are two. When we land for Steelers away games, the seven buses waiting.
Speaker 3: But they're also not these old school school bus.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, they're they're the coach busy. Yeah. Yeah, this was another thing that was drilled into my head for the very first my very first trip with the Steelers. Don't get on the seventh bus because that bus goes right to the stadium. It doesn't go to the hotel. It goes to the stadium equip the guys and the trainers and so they can get in there and get set up and all that stuff. So it was like, get on any butt. Well, don't get on the first bus because that's that's the Steelers brass bus. Okay, Okay, that's where that's where the mister Rooney sits and Mike Tomlin sits, and that's where the big timers sit. Don't get on the first bus Bus one. Don't get on bus seven because that's going on the stag.
Speaker 3: Guys, you didn't have a bus like your bus five.
Speaker 2: Well, we almost always go on bus six, like that's what we but it's just kind of first come, first serve. But don't go on bus one because that's for the heavy hitters. Don't go on bus seven because you'll end up at the stadium, not the hotel.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to I think how pit did it When we would travel during the regular season, Bus one was offensive, okay, because Wald Harris our head coach, and he was also an offensive guy. Bus to is defense and all of us out. Everyone else was on bus three, like Billy Hillgrove was on with me. Sure, you know, and a lot and some other football people. But it was like I just jump on the third.
Speaker 2: Bus, right, that's that's It's funny how.
Speaker 3: I couldn't go on bus one or two as a recruiting guy, but I'm going bus three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know this about me too, Like I just I want to I want to sit down, shut up, stay out of the way. Just you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I did, right, if they need me to help anything or you know Crystal Saler or director of football ops. I always watched him because he had to direct all that stuff. You're you know, a lot going. It's a lot when we land. He would like stress and go find the stuff, make sure the hotel's ready. He's on the phone all the time.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's a it's a heavy job. That's a lot of lifting, a lot of lifting.
Speaker 3: Certainly, the travel coordinator is a bigger job than anything.
Speaker 2: Shout out to Aiden who does that for the Steelers. He's a good dude.
Speaker 3: So I didn't last at Akron very long as the director ops or I would have done that on travel, but we didn't ever travel while I was there because it was the off season. But I did organize all the details of the trip two Penn State would was the first one. I hated that job.
Speaker 2: Hotels logistics.
Speaker 3: Do you want chicken or spaghetti or boathh blah blah bah. I'm like, I hate this.
Speaker 2: How many rooms do you need?
Speaker 3: Suits?
Speaker 2: Do you need how many?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a lot. Yeah, I didn't enjoy that part.
Speaker 2: One thing that always impresses me, though, Matt is so again the seventh buses with us, but kind of at some point will break off to go to the stadium. But keeping all six of those buses together, like when we're going through Chicago or between Yeah, and I mean this with all due respect to the good people of Buffalo and Green Bay, and when you go to those places, okay, you could keep six buses together and uh yeah, but when you're when you're going to when you're going through downtown Chicago, or you're going through LA or you're going through Dallas, some of these massive cities, it's always impressive to me how they can keep keep those six buses uh relatively tightened together and between police police escorts. But there is it all absolutely is It's like those cops they like have like their own language of like all right, when I get here, then you go around me, and then we get exit.
Speaker 4: I do this.
Speaker 3: Exits are weird.
Speaker 2: They're well trapped, they're well drilled. They're well drilled in this, just like the Steelers are. They got to be all work out your time ahead.
Speaker 3: And then now you go to the caboose and I haven't done that a while, but that is kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: It's pretty cool. And like I said, especially when we're when we're going to these big cities where the stadium's right in the middle of the city and it's managed.
Speaker 3: The Dublin one was crazy because that was the only one I've done in a long time. Because you're going through these.
Speaker 2: Old schools, like kids are walking into the.
Speaker 3: Way to school and it's like this is I feel like we don't belong here at all.
Speaker 2: No, and we're still.
Speaker 3: Like the eighteen hundreds or something.
Speaker 2: Really did it was pretty cool. You're still in that kind of jaded overnight. I know what time it was, I know what time it is. Your clocks all going to school. It's like early in the morning there, but you're like wanting to go back to bed and kids are going to school and yet a little bit tighter on those on those Irish streets than some of the uh, the American cities that were built hundreds of years later.
Speaker 3: We were eighty miles an hour flying downe the highway.
Speaker 2: No, we were not, we were not. We were going tight turns. And make sure you don't hit any of those is we little lads walking themselves into school. Let's hit some of these tweets here as we like to do to start. Man, it is beautiful here in the last hour, the last hour or so it is.
Speaker 3: I hope this stays for Yeah, the whole.
Speaker 2: Practice, lovely evening for it, and hopefully right when the sun goes down and practice will be concluding and the fireworks will be flying off and it'll be a lovely Saturday evening here in Latrobe. Some tweets to get to you know where to get at us if you want to get involved, excuse me me tweets us and says doctor Westman and Professor Mount Matt First of all, shout out to adjunct Professor Motes getting some shout outs in the show this week. I have three questions for you guys. Number one, true or false lack of training camp coverage mentions of Michael Pittman Junior is alarming. It's funny we've got We've started to get this question a little bit. I would say false.
Speaker 3: I would say false, but if it goes to the whole camp, maybe true. I've watched him. I don't look at him and go Okay. So I was chatting with Chris Halleck last night and we were talking about this exact same thing, and I used the reference of it wasn't like when Alan Robinson showed up and you're like, I don't know if he can move anymore, you know, like Pittman was fine. Yes, I don't think he's like old all of a sudden, we'll washing it up or any of those things. It's just that they haven't. He hasn't had a signature play or a breakout moment. Maybe it's just because they trust him and he knows he's doing You know.
Speaker 2: I still too, And I know I mentioned this to you a few days ago, but I still think a lot of that lack of conversation around and I think DK metcalf too. It's not like people have been, you know, spending a bunch of time talking about him. I think a lot of that is one Everyone's eyes are on Roman Wilson and germ And and two, you don't have Jalen Ramsey or Joey Porter Junior out there lining up across from Michael Penman Jr. Dk Metcalf to have that kind of Oh look here comes Joe Hayden and Antonio Brown. This is much to watch every rep. You know, here comes uh Porter Junior.
Speaker 3: They're not doing corner versus receiver and the best corners aren't out there, so it's yeah, it'd be different if it's like man Pittman just destroyed Porter all day. Wow, that'd be something to talk about. Him getting open on seven on Seven's is not all that noteworthy exactly right, But he looks fine to me. It just physically and all that. I don't think, Oh he's done.
Speaker 2: Question two. Best wing sauce in Latrobe and from which restaurant?
Speaker 3: I'm so boring. I'm always buffalo dipped in blue cheek.
Speaker 2: He talked about this few days ago. Uh, these sweet heat from Dino's is unbelievable, you know what I've been told. And I'm gonna well, not tonight, but soon rather than later here, maybe Monday, when we have an evening show there. I think we're at Sharky's. I've been told, have you ever heard of like like Alabama white sauce, like the southern southern white barbecue sauce.
Speaker 3: I would definitely try that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Sharky's has a like an Alabama white, like a southern barbecue wing sauce that I've been told is phenomenal.
Speaker 3: We should just get a dozen and share them, and that's.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's what we'll do on Yeah. H three from me, what is your favorite album cover of all time? It's a good question. Dark Side, Man, that's a really good one. That's one of those, like I don't know if there's something that just jumps right off the page at me, that's the one for Sergeant Pepper's the Beatles.
Speaker 3: It's cool. I think if you bought the original album the vinyl, I think there's a paper in there that tells you who everyone is on the cover it is, and it maybe evens in the CD right after you're talking for Pepers and Sergeant Pepper's, I mean they're all Yeah. First one just came to mind was dark dark Side is a great one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that is a great one. I'm sure this will be one of those things where it'll be you know, twenty minutes from now and we'll be like, oh yeah, there's this album cover and that album.
Speaker 3: Along those lines. The Wall is is maybe my favorite album of all time. And in my fraternity room, my sister drew the wall cover because we had like a brick wall, and she drew it exactly, but she did it with fraternity colors like thrown in. That's pretty mu, which is pretty Yeah, that was very cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's very cool. I like the Springsteen Born in the USA one with the blue jeans and the and the hat and the American flag and all that. It's a pretty good one.
Speaker 3: There's some good there's there's so many icons.
Speaker 2: So many gn R.
Speaker 3: Yeah, appetite, I mean, just because I don't love that as much as I love the album, you know what I mean? Like dark sides like whoa, yeah, yeah, I'm sure there's some obvious ones.
Speaker 2: There's definitely some obvious ones that that we're missing as we do and these puts you on the spot type Q and A sessions that we do here with our Twitter segments.
Speaker 3: Adam says for those about the rock, just the cannon pretty cool. Yeah, that's one of my favorite.
Speaker 2: That's a great one. Yeah, it's so good, so good. Yeah, a c DC has some great, great album covers.
Speaker 3: This wasn't my bag. But in my day everyone had an Iron Maiden poster and I mean they were like iconic art. Oh yeah, and a lot everyone had like artwork. I mean that was art. And for an album.
Speaker 2: I like the The Terrapin Station Grateful Dead. It's the turtle playing the playing the guitar at the train station.
Speaker 3: I love Turtles, Turtles.
Speaker 2: He told me a funny story. I love Turtles with our buddy Dale Lawlly. Maybe we'll have to bust that one out before camp is over. Adams says, they put t O in, they can most certainly put a b in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've used that example too. And the thing about to is he went to so many different teams. It's such a short amount of time too. It's very comparable to me, although does to of any.
Speaker 2: I don't think he had the legal stuff quite like different.
Speaker 3: I mean it shouldn't be, but it's going back to the conversation. But I don't think THEO ever spent jail time or was arrested or anything.
Speaker 2: He was just the butt he Also, I'm not saying he wouldn't have because it was a different time period. But like right now, you can go on Antonio Brown's social media and almost every week he's putting something out that's inappropriate. Let's just say.
Speaker 3: I was told he sold that to somebody else, so he doesn't do it anymore. I can't confirm that's true.
Speaker 2: He should let people know that that's not him. That would help a lot.
Speaker 3: And because the crazy stuff, trust me, I've been aware.
Speaker 2: He takes some shots at some current and former NFL people, and that's what the kind of stuff the league doesn't want to see.
Speaker 3: There's some slurs, there's some slurs and whatnot.
Speaker 2: That's the kind of stuff the league doesn't want to see.
Speaker 3: I was told though he no longer operates that.
Speaker 2: If that's the case, one, I'd be glad to hear that, and two, I hope he makes that well known that it's not his anymore.
Speaker 3: I'm sure some of our listeners are like, Matt, you're totally wrong, or yeah, you know it, because somebody would know that better than me.
Speaker 2: Maybe we can look into that. Is that stuff public record transactions of social media accounts.
Speaker 3: I can make someone a great deal on Williams in NFL. It costs you two point six million.
Speaker 2: I'll sell I'll sell Wes Leuler much cheaper than that. But I don't have as many followers as Bat, so you have to pick where you want to invest your money. Two point six million, Negotia. I think you could retire. I never would. You could just start Williams in the NFL too, Yeah, Matt. Matt and I had that conversation about a year ago where like, Hey, what would happen if you if you hit the powerball or something like that, you know, and Matt was like, I'd still do SNR. He's like, I still want to talk about football.
Speaker 3: That might cut it down a little, a couple more vacations mixed in.
Speaker 2: But not do shows throughout the off season.
Speaker 3: I'd maybe do some for my helicopter or from my yacht, but I'd have a little studio probably set up for the off season. I'd cut some of my other things out. I would be on so many hours in a day.
Speaker 2: I'd be on a beach, and I'd be on a beach somewhere with a margarita in my hand. I'll talk about football to myself.
Speaker 3: Babe.
Speaker 2: Pittsburgh conversation with a two part question here. First, if there was one Pittsburgh bar or establishment you would recommend for a lifelong Steeler fan who was going to Pittsburgh for the first time, what would it be? And also wish two Steelers would you like to see in a water chugging contest at Sharky's.
Speaker 3: Wow, the first one is totally you. I saw that tweet earlier. I'm not good at that stuff and I'm not a bar go and go unless.
Speaker 2: I mean I can give I can give you like ten. It's hard to pick one, fat heads, was always my answer. You had to pick one. But it's no longer there closed to I.
Speaker 3: Don't know who's good on game day because I'm never there.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that actually is true because he said, uh, Pittsburgh fan, So I guess he didn't specifically say game day, but he said going to Pittsburgh for the first time. If it is game day, just go to any of those ones down there on the North Shore that are close to the stadium. They all can't they get They all get rocking on even away games. Yes, But in terms of just like sports bars, man, I love Archies is a fantastic place to watch a game, and they have really good Wings Pittsburgh Conversation follow up with me a little bit on that one. Let me know some more specifics, like are you talking a sports bar to watch games? Are you talking a place to get food too?
Speaker 3: We know South Hills is way different than North Hills, way different. I mean that's over the wall.
Speaker 2: And there's also you know, places like Lawrenceville where I wouldn't necessarily call them bars, but there's a lot of breweries that are that are just fantastic. I know I've laid that out on the show before. Pittsburgh. Man, if you're a if you're a person who likes breweries and like craft beers per cap per capita, Pittsburgh has got to be the top of the list. We've got a dozen great breweries in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: But I mean, like us South Hild's folks think there's white walkers in the North Hills. I mean, like, that's that's on the other side of the wall.
Speaker 2: Dude, that is on the other side of the Buddy Crowley used to say that all the time. He'd be like, I'd be like, dude, come over from the WU game, and he'd be like, Oh, it's so full, and I'd be like, dude, it's twenty five you live twenty five minutes away from me. What do you mean it's so far? He's like, yeah, I gotta go north of the wall.
Speaker 4: I don't know about that.
Speaker 2: Two Steelers in a water chugging contest. I can tell you this, Jennings Dunker would definitely be one of them.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, good call.
Speaker 2: And I'm just going purely off looks here and ribes Jennings Dunker would absolutely be one of them. Maybe why a black the other? I picked the two. I picked the two midwestern Iowa guys.
Speaker 3: Of course, anyone from WU.
Speaker 2: So you know what, It's funny, No, Zach's Zach's two by the book man like. I'm sure Zach likes to have cut loose and have a good time from time to time, but I also wouldn't describe him as a party boy. What about Mason McCormick o line, strong place start, big, strong place to start. I mean, our guy Max Starks would probably still be at the top of this conversation. Try to think.
Speaker 3: I mean in history, I bet there's a million.
Speaker 2: Without a doubt. The uh the next Hall of Fame quarterback for the Steelers might be on that list. In terms of in terms of history, Max has some good stories about how, uh, the Steelers used to kind of have a beer drinking council in the evenings after practice where it was like a veteran like they'd get a cooler and have nothing crazy, but they'd have a couple of pops after practice. Yeah, and it was all a veterans thing, correct, It was all a veterans thing, and you had to be invited.
Speaker 3: Yes, so if you're a rook.
Speaker 2: Doesn't doesn't matter if you're a first round but if you're if it's going on here, it doesn't matter if you're Maxie honachor like, you got to be invited. And Max was like, it was only a couple of practices until Ben got invited. It's like Ben was Ben was pretty quickly on the council as a rookie. He Max is like, it took me a little bit longer to earn my stripes, but U Ben was up there pretty quickly.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm sure Lambert and we could really go back, and I'm sure Wolf could tell some story.
Speaker 2: The wolf would have been in that conversation when Wolf in Tounch would have certainly been in that conversation at one point too. Keep the tweets rolling in. You know where to get at us if you want to get involved. We are less than an hour away from Saturday night lights. Uh and what is always a fun evening over at Latrow Memorial. If you're over there, make some noise, get loud, have some fun, and enjoy a beautiful Saturday evening here in Westmoreland County. We'll hear a little bit, talk a little bit about Patrick Graham and this defense. When we return. We was Shuler Matt Williamson. It's the bonus hour of the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live Coverry Job Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light. Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging in Traffic Control, Making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new Power Move Independence Health System Expert Care here Wemax Select Realty. Visit remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania. Visit go Laurel Highlands dot com, the Steelers Pro shop, visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Coniente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: The Steelers are at Latrow Memorial. There's sign and autographs right now. Practice about thirty five minutes away. Matt, we do have one of our loyal SNR listeners boots on the ground as always. Of course, CR Steeler Nation Chicago. He says, what's up, my Steeler brothers. Do you guys have anybody here who will be broadcasting during the practice? By the way, the buses just pulled in. Okay, business is picking up. Of course CR is there every single year. I think he hits one of his traditions, no broadcasts during the Friday or Saturday night lights.
Speaker 3: Go see it for yourself.
Speaker 2: Go see it. Go see it for yourself and take it in and be one of the tens of thousands of people that are there on the grounds of Latrow Memorial. Should be a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: It sounds like they've landed though.
Speaker 2: Oh they certainly have. There's videos all over the timeline of autographs and chaos and all that good stuff.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 2: Matt one of the people who of course, is out there and taking it in for the first time. Steelers defensive coordinator Patrick Graham he spoke today earlier today and talked about a lot of different things, a lot of questions about the defensive line, a lot of questions about the secondary as he starts to learn his personnel better and this thing starts to come together. Here's what PG had to say earlier today.
Speaker 5: We've seen the outside linebackers lineup not just on different sides, but also a lot more off ball looks like kind of a new traditional inside linebacker looks. What does that do for your defense or how do these guys adapt to that?
Speaker 4: So well as this like you're happy to move TJ, Alex.
Speaker 5: Sawyer, Nick all over all over your defensive formation up front.
Speaker 6: It starts with, you know, the buy in in terms of the scheme what we're trying to do. These guys have been great, you know, uh, TJ all, all the guys have been great in terms of buying.
Speaker 4: In and studying really hard.
Speaker 6: And CJ's done a good job their coach of get them in different places again, because we're gonna do as much as they can handle, you know, and we're gonna try to put them in places where spots where we believe it's gonna be beneficial for them to be productive and also for the scheme of the defense. But a lot of this buying and then you know there's some you know working, some trial and there stuff as we go to you know, like everything's not gonna make it to week one in terms of schematically as we're going through training camp.
Speaker 4: But I mean they've done a great job with that and the reason why we do it. We think it so.
Speaker 6: It's best for them to be productive and we think it's gonna be a good scheme for us.
Speaker 5: What you see in your skill in their skill sets, when you like study your roster and understand what these guys are say like this will be really a really good piece to ad because a lot of people look at you know, three four outside linebackers say just need them.
Speaker 4: Rush in the passer.
Speaker 6: Well one before you get the skill set, the production you know, the guys have been you know, they've produced you know, in terms of past so they have to be accounted for. So that's one of the positives there just schematically, when you look at the big picture, then skill set wise athletically, I.
Speaker 4: Mean they're they're.
Speaker 6: They got good traits in terms of length, uh size, the ability.
Speaker 4: Then they have good athletic ability. So it's a lot.
Speaker 6: I mean again, I'm happy for how they the organization, the club, Omar and his staff in terms of how they put together this roster in terms of you know, we got we got some options, we got some options you've had.
Speaker 7: I've spoken with a couple of different linebackers and said that they feel like in your system that they feel a little bit more free, like it's just like it's just play. Can you describe how you've designed that so that they can feel a little bit more free to just just play.
Speaker 6: So it's again, anything we do is never just me, you know. I know I'm responsible for it in terms of what goes out there, but it's it's really collectively myself, the coaches, and for me is getting input from players and so over my years of coaching and as the system has evolved, just trying to keep things in buckets for the players, you know, trying to I don't want to have them doing ten different things on any given play or thinking about ten different techniques. So for me, I'm always trying to minimize it, and I think It comes from my front background, you know, Like for me, I'm a D line slash linebacker coach background. So for me, it was always Okay, our immediate threats right in our face. We have to make quicker decisions then, say on the back end at times. And so for me, I'm like, okay, this is the same ass, this is the same ass.
Speaker 4: I think that's where.
Speaker 6: If we can eliminate variables, they able to play faster and just put them in right spots. So that's that's how the systems built. I try to keep everything in five buckets. And you know I'm jerry rigging that sometimes, but you know that's put that in that bucket. You know there's bucket A and a A or one A and one a B.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean. But that's how we try to do it.
Speaker 6: And you know, it's been successful for me in the past with the guys I've coached and so far, you know, they're they're buying into it.
Speaker 8: How is that an impacted by not having Jalen and Joey and Deshaun for periods of time?
Speaker 6: Is I mean, they've been so great in the classroom in terms of you know, you're talking about guys who have played a lot of football, So you know, you know, whether it's in the classroom just talking through it, but they're engaged. I'm engaged with them, the guys that are engaged with them, So you know we're gonna that's it really gets you ready for the season. That happens all the time when you're playing a collision sport. Some guy might not practice all week, but he's gonna be up for the game. So for me, in terms of the evaluation the defense, we're gonna evaluate the guys out there, but in terms of the defenses schematically, you know a lot of times it's gonna be next man up.
Speaker 4: Mentality evaluation.
Speaker 2: Speaking of that evaluation of Sanje, Sanuel Junior has gotten a lot of lucks with Joey out. What have you seen from him?
Speaker 9: What's kind of impressed you about what he's been doing, I.
Speaker 4: Mean what he's done throughout his career in the league.
Speaker 6: I mean, you see a guy again, let's start in the class Let's talk about the person great person I mean like just super cool person, like really smart, has a great personality and a joy to be around. Then you talk about the football player in the classroom. Real attentive, not afraid to speak up in the meetings again and just answer questions. I call them a lot because I want the guys to hear his voice. He's really smart and knows how to talk football with you.
Speaker 4: Or with the players.
Speaker 6: You see him talking to some of the other guys, and then on the field you see the foot quickness, you.
Speaker 4: See the speed and the burst.
Speaker 6: You see the willingness to get down a line of scrimmage and get hands on I know. I mean he's been doing a good job there. And then just the tackling in terms of again we're not doing live tackling, but for me, the whole live tackling thing is about to me, the tackling, getting our angles right, making sure we're closing the space.
Speaker 4: We know the run game in.
Speaker 6: The NFL is trying to get out to the corner. I mean, it's been real pleasure to watch him. And then he's getting to the ball. So, like you know, once we start getting to the ball and come away with turnovers, that's always a positive for us.
Speaker 9: We've seen you guys bring a lot of different types of pressure. I'm curious just how would you describe your philosophy when it comes to pressure.
Speaker 6: You know, some people like trying to go in put this way how I learned it. Like sometimes you're trying to free out. You have run pressure, you have pass pressure. So like on a run pressure, I might be trying to you know, it might more be involved with an edge pressure or just plug in the middle of the defense. So to me, however you do it in terms of run pressure, you're trying to get to five down spacing from off the ball.
Speaker 4: Does that make sense? All right?
Speaker 6: Once we get to pressures that are geared for the past, a lot of times you're either trying to be right, meaning you're scheming it up for a free runner or one on one like the design one on one, so you're trying to be right, moving the front around, running games, opposite things of that nature. So those are more pass calls. And then you have guys in terms of pass calls where you're just trying to create one on one matchup because we have a pretty good front.
Speaker 4: So for me, I fall in the run pressure that's everybody in the league.
Speaker 6: The pass pressures that really, okay, I'm gonna put overload here and try to get a free runner to me. I like our matchups one on one. So like to me, I'm not afraid if it creates a one on one matchup because how we talk here is you're expected.
Speaker 4: To win the one on one.
Speaker 6: So if all in those three buckets does that, that makes sense right there.
Speaker 5: With Mike McCarthy, listen is Steelers six mannerisms and disguises.
Speaker 3: Was one of them.
Speaker 5: How do you go about teaching, you know, being able to sell one look versus getting to and establishing you know, your role in that in what you're disguising.
Speaker 6: It starts off with a lot of listening. You know, you listen when coaches up there talking to the team. You know, getting to have such a resource like coach Aaron, I mean, I mean it's I think it's gives us an advantage, you know. So for me, it starts with Okay, as the quarterback under center and the gun, they understand the nature of the place, how you can disguise. If he's in the gun, he's looking directly at you, all right. If he's under center, you're anticipating most teams he's going to turn his back to you. So you're trying trying to talk to them about that. Then by formation, are they boasting is if if it's a formation in the boundary, how what we're trying to show.
Speaker 4: So it's really about listening to our offense.
Speaker 6: When we have time in the spring and now they're in training camp, and then it's recognizing formations and where the quarterbacks at and working from there.
Speaker 10: We've seen you use a lot of split safety. Look so far in training camp traditionally is a team that rant a lot of simple high middle clues. What true levy does that sought process there and where some of.
Speaker 6: The president come well, you know, you look at the numbers from what we've called, I would probably say we probably called more post.
Speaker 4: Safety in camp.
Speaker 6: I will say that, But for me, in terms of split safety postage, split safety just gives your ability to disguise some you get disguised from the post safety as well. But I would say today's quarterbacks, I mean it's split safety and you could disguise what the weak safety is doing because they've been trained since high school. The stare at that week safety and the nickel position. You know, it gives you a little bit more time to confuse the quarterback. That's my take, and then obviously from there playing the run. From there, you know, because everybody in their mind goes to, hey, you gotta get the single, hide and stop the run. You gotta remember how I was trained. You asked me my favorite call versus stop the run is cover too. But y'all know where I started at. I mean, so my answer for everything is covered too. But you know we don't do that all the time. But you know, you know I love me some cover too.
Speaker 8: Speaking a Drick, obviously, d line is something that's going to play a big part in stop in the run. How have you found that depth and specifically with why how do you think he's developing here?
Speaker 6: Is that death came from how Omar and their staff put together the roster.
Speaker 4: I mean, we have a lot of options.
Speaker 6: Again, how the profile they've established here and haven't really strayed from it. I mean again, I applaud them because I know myself when we started, oh it's a passing league. Past the league and we start getting smaller and smaller different places I've been. I love the fact fact that they stayed with the profile. It shows discipline of the organization. That's why they win all the time, you know, and that's what I'm happy to be here. But in terms of the depth. It starts there and now as they compete, you really see them bringing out the best in one another. And and it's and it's hard to compete in that room because you have you have quality guys who I mean again, I can't I don't want to give away a number, but I mean there's gonna be a lot of guys from that room that are.
Speaker 4: Gonna be playing a NFL football, you know.
Speaker 6: So it's it's really impressive how they put together the roster.
Speaker 4: I love how they compete.
Speaker 6: Uh, it's a pleasure to be in the meetings with them and how they talk to one another. Cam does a great job of being a good leader. But then the funny thing is Cam obviously with experienced.
Speaker 4: Being a leader.
Speaker 6: But you know, you hear you hear the other guys in the room talking. You know, you have Dean in there. I mean, I mean, Dean's played a lot of football. Sebastians played a lot of football Harmon, even though the second year he played a lot of football.
Speaker 4: It's fun to be in that room and hear them talk football.
Speaker 5: You were talking about your your safeties as far as like how they've played in their career between Kwan, you know ray Sean Deshan. A lot of them would played primarily just strong safety roles in defenses.
Speaker 3: Is where they lined up.
Speaker 5: Is the lack of NFL free safety experience something that you guys look at us as old thing that you have to disguise or work around or do you see your guys it's like, hey, that's something that they.
Speaker 4: Can do this hard job to put them in the best spots.
Speaker 6: And then for us when we're evaluating guys like so, whether it's a new staff like you know for the guys that were here or acquiring a player from free agency, we're looking for traits. So you could find if you search hard enough, you can find the traits, whether you know however the other teams use them or however they were used. So if you could find the traits, that's that's what we're looking for. And then I try again. I've known Joe Simo for a long time. I mean, I trust those guys more.
Speaker 4: I can't. I can't.
Speaker 6: I mean there's not too many people I could name in coaching I would trust more to get it right and coaching right. So I mean they do an excellent job. I mean, just look at their track record. They they know how to coach ball and all the coach DB's and they know I don't want to coach them joking. I want to spend time with the front.
Speaker 4: So how much you.
Speaker 3: Might change when Jalen returns.
Speaker 5: You guys talked about using him as the star dB and him being able to float all around and bring in guy like that back into your defense. Does that jumble up a lot of things that you guys are working on now we.
Speaker 6: We're I mean, this is what I want to make sure that just because guys aren't practiced, they're they're still part of it. But Jalen's part of it. I Jalen's in my thought process. They're all in my thought process, and it's all in the coaches thought process. So everything we do out there in their field that's collectively like it's not good. I mean again, certain players come out you might you know, highlight something a little bit different, but they're all in the process of how we're putting this thing together.
Speaker 9: Coach ranks, you know, you have the opportunity to work with a lot of well respected defensive minds. How has some of that shaped your philosophy and are the elements that you've borrowed or taken from them that you're now implementing this defense.
Speaker 4: I mean so many different I mean.
Speaker 6: The long winded here, but no, no, no, no, there's different things from each guy, you know. But at the really good ones, I've always said, they're really good listeners, really organized, and clear with the vision. You know, once you put in a place of leadership, I think you got to be clear with the vision. And that doesn't mean you have to micromanage that. That might, you know, you have to micro manage them. You just have to be clear with the vision and then let them bring it to life, you know, the assistant coaches, let them develop a language how they're talking to their players. I mean, that's what I learned from, you know, all the guys I worked for. And then schematically, it's all the funny thing. The guys I worked for that are really good. It's all rooted in the same principles, you know, in terms of knocking the line of scrimmage bag, playing with your hands set in the edge, you know, defending the DP ball, you know, just like tackling those guys. And it always comes back to that. So I always find myself what I learned from them is always come back to the core, your core values, and you know, my core six or their core six might be a little bit different or you know, turn you know, prioritized differently, but we're probably you know, I learned what to put in those core values from those men.
Speaker 2: All Right, Steelers defensive coordinator Patrick Graham fascinating guy, well spoken. Matt and I have talked about that before. You can hear the usful the Yale education in the in the background there and uh, Matt, a lot of intriguing, rightfully so around Mike McCarthy and the reunion with Aaron Rodgers and what this offense is going to look like. But man sneaky on that other side of the ball just about is intriguing with what Patrick Graham. A lot of familiar ingredients on that defense, but a brand new chef to put them all together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's gonna taste a little different, it's gonna look a little different. I like to Obviously a lot of attention to detail. Really wants to concentrate on the front. I'm really optimistic, man, what he got out of a Raiders team that really didn't have a fraction of the talent he's working with now. And we haven't talked about this a lot, but if you go through his history as a defensive coordinator, I bet he would tell you. And honestly, I mean, it's pretty clear this is the best group of players he's coached. Without he has not had great talent.
Speaker 2: It's like going from a from a mid level college football program to like a big time SEC or big time.
Speaker 3: But you're playing the same teams, You're playing the same schedule, right right right. The level of competition didn't go up.
Speaker 2: And like I said, I I understand most of the eyes have been on the offense and the quarterbacks, and I get all that without a doubt. But I think I think once they once they start hitting in preseason, not even as much as in preseason, but of course once we get to the regular season, I think quickly people will be very intrigued by what's going on with that defense. The Steelers have made a couple of waiver wire moves that will that will kind of get to you here before we get up out of here. In our last segment, We've also got a couple last tweets to hit in.
Speaker 3: Some final uh wrap this thing up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, leading up to the start of Saturday Night Lights. Of course, over at Latrow Memorial. We'll do all of that and more when we return for our final segment. Wes Shuler, Matt Williamson. It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp on the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems DIYLE eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalucy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission list in Clearview FCU and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Final segment of the day here at Saint Vincent College a few miles away at Latrow Memorial. We are just minutes away from getting this Saturday Night Lights practice underway. Another massive crowd. You know, Matt, I always laugh, and I think I've joked about you with this before. Motes and I used to joke about this like every Tuesday in the past, Mike Tomlin would have his press conferences during the season at noon right ye clockwork, and Motes and I used to be sitting in the studio and we would laugh because you'd go through your Twitter feed and you would have thirty seven people tweet the same exact thing. Second department, right, There'd be Dale, and there'd be Pursuita, and there'd be Kebali, and there would be Jerry Dulac and Brian Bacco and Mike the Fabo and Brook Pryor and you know out them, Alan Saunders and Fairbaugh and strack Bean and Jim Wexel and the list goes on and on, and they're all tweeting out and Chris Carter and they're all tweeting out all the different the same exact quote seconds and seconds apart, and Motes that I used to laugh. We'd be like, all right, here comes, here comes the next fifteen minutes. You can't get on your Twitter feed because you'll see the same, the same exact quote fifty seven times right now, right now, Everyone on my Twitter feed are real, you know, intrepid journalistic and reporter friends are all tweeting out. I actually like this, different pictures and videos. Yah, it's not the same head coach quote thirty seven times, but I'm.
Speaker 3: Sure it's all getting off the bus and you.
Speaker 2: Know, autographs, crazy fans and uh and and just the scenes that we come to expect there at Latro Memorial Stadium and what is another man packed packed house. Doesn't look like there's an inch to move in that place and should be a lot of fun. This sevening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure it's rocking. I'm kind of jealous we're not over there at the moment. But the Twitter thing's pretty funny because motes of every similar tonight we're done or in the Tuesdays, it's just exactly.
Speaker 2: It's hilarious like we would most and I would always have that joke like put your Twitter feed away for fifteen minutes because it's about to get clogged up with the same with the same.
Speaker 3: Quote just Red red one and I get to get the gist. I don't need thirty more.
Speaker 2: Matt, some some business by the Steelers. Yesterday we did mention part of this, but it's now been confirmed by the team. Nothing earth shattering, but always worth noting. Throughout this process. The Steelers claimed two players off of waivers yesterday, wide receiver Colton Dowell from San Francisco and the one that we mentioned before we got off air, tight end Lance Mason from Seattle, Okay, both off of waivers, both out of the NFC West. Oddly enough, Dowell was selected by the Tennessee Titans in the seventh round of the twenty three NFL Draft. He's spent time with the Titans, with the Ravens, and with the San Francisco forty nine Ers. Played his college ball at U T. Martin and then Mason, as we talked about a little bit on on yesterday's show, was an undrafted free agent of the Seahawks after this past draft out of Wisconsin. With that Matt, the team released wide receiver At Perry and one of the guys that we liked watching over the past year or two, tight end JJ Gallbreath.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and both those guys have been around a little bit, and I think they have a must must have a firm grasp of what they are and what they can or can't be. So turn page, you know, churning the bottom the roster. Maybe you find something. I don't know a ton about these news guys that have just been added, but we'll be getting eyeballs on them. I would imagine both have to be special team.
Speaker 2: Ye, absolutely absolutely. I think there's still we talked. We've talked about this a little bit over the last few days. Churnin looking for a viable tight end who they can trust on the field and contribute to special teams. Maybe the Connor Hayward type role, right, and then I think same church, different pew at safety as.
Speaker 3: Well, safety as well. Yeah, I don't know that the receiver they just signed has a clear path, but maybe get in the practice squad. I mean, remember the practice squads are large now since COVID, so yep, a lot of these dudes that I always find that interesting on cutdown day, like, oh man, we lost that guy. I like, yeah, but they signed thirteen dudes off practice squad. I mean probably gonna be back one.
Speaker 2: Or two more tweets here, Matt to hit before we get up out of here for this Saturday and for this week, A reminder, no practice tomorrow, so we will we'll have a Sunday off here. On SNR. But we'll be back Monday for a big week next week Monday, Tuesday, practice, day off Wednesday, and then that first preseason game at home Thursday night against the Green Bay Packers. Michael Edesso, one of our p ones, says, guys, am I crazy, but didn't you say earlier this week that Eli Heidenreich had a hammy and would be out for a week or so. I don't know if it was one of you guys or maybe Alan Saunders when you had him on and then actually just a minute or two ago, Alan actually ripond responded and said he has a hammy injury, not sure about eta for a return, but doesn't seem super severe.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think I'm just glad we mentioned it because we had.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's so so far, Matt. I think there's been a couple of those, you know, Maxie Haner, Brandon Eckles, all those guys. Looks like he's not in pads tonight. According to he's there, but not.
Speaker 3: In big sense for the day off tomorrow. I mean, anyone is questionable. I would not play tonight off tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I completely completely agree with you on that one.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to be on top of Monday attendance big time.
Speaker 2: It looks like Jakwan Brisker is not dressed for practice either, as well as Brandon Eckles, like we mentioned, no chance, I'm sure Max is not. I would I wouldn't think Max, because yesterday Mike McCarthy said they were hoping to see him again Monday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you know Monday's target.
Speaker 2: It's a bummer for all of you who were down there and hoping to get your first look at these guys. But at the same time, I think it's not uncommon. We all we all understand that, uh every year, but especially under new head coach Mike McCarthy. You got to make it to September to the starting line healthy and and that feels feels like a real part of this camp, certainly for the new head coach.
Speaker 3: Assumings injuries not as serious as originally thought. If he's back Monday or Tuesday or whatever, I still think he's got a pretty clear path to be in the week one starter.
Speaker 2: Same. You don't want to kick that can too far down the road, right.
Speaker 3: I don't want to waiting if he misses the preseason game.
Speaker 2: If he misses two practices, three practices not the end.
Speaker 3: Of the potato.
Speaker 2: If he misses two weeks then it becomes.
Speaker 3: A different the games, the ones I don't want to miss.
Speaker 2: Last one here goes to Mike. Do you guys think the lack of Michael Pittman junior flair at camp so far could be some gamesmanship by the Steelers not featuring him as much so other eyes can't see him before the season starts. Also two great album covers, Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East and any Molly Hatchet cover.
Speaker 3: I was never a huge Hatchet fan, but yeah, they're kind of known.
Speaker 2: For always flying under the radar. Yeah, I don't think so as much with that stuff anymore. I just the book book is out on everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably, but I've always I've even mentioned it, like it is there a reason Ramsey's not out here because we don't want to divulge to the world what we're our intentions are with him. No one's quite said what he's gonna do, especially when I'm tying four defensive backs on the field and Motes would be proud. I do think there's gonna be things, a lot of things that we're not gonna be privy to or be telling you guys about that when they get to the South side portion of TI. Yeah, will be more stuff they don't want anybody to see. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And I don't get me wrong, I don't want to downplay that. I know that that is real. Yes, I just don't know. Okay, it's a unique environment that any it could be a raven scout in the seat. There absolutely could. But even if you keep everything hidden and under wraps and secret and quiet, you don't think after the first two weeks against Atlanta and New England, by the time you go to Cincinnati September twenty seventh, they're gonna know what you're doing. I mean, right, you know, like I just.
Speaker 3: And they're gonna have their ideas too.
Speaker 2: Again right, The people that make these decisions are much more in tune to the football process and the league and how all that works than I am. But I do always kind of I think there's too much stock put into that stuff, because even if you are hiding some secrets up your sleeve with Jalen Ramsey, with Michael Pittman Jr. By the time you get to the end of September, all that stuff's gonna be on film and so maybe maybe you caught your first opponent or two a little unprepared. But in the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's moving the needle all that much for your overall success.
Speaker 3: I just don't think they want us in the whole world talking about it like we know exactly what ram Oh, he's gonna be the free safety and ours four guys man, at least let people think about it.
Speaker 2: There's definitely some truth to that.
Speaker 3: Matt.
Speaker 2: That'll do it for us today. That'll do it for us this week. Enjoyed the show today, Yes, absolutely, Thanks to our buddy TV for procuring that coordinator audio for us from Patrick Graham and Brian Angelico. And thanks to our guy Justin miller Is always for producing for us back at the Ranch. We'll be back with you all on Monday. Enjoy Saturday Night Lights for Matt Williamson. I'm west Yuler. Take care. As always, you know where to find us. It's on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on a Steeler's Audio Network.