Speaker 1: This is me, Craig Ferguson. I'm inviting you to come and see my brand new comedy hour. Well it's actually it's about an hour and a half and I don't have an opener because these guys cost money. But what I'm saying is I'll be on stage for a while. Anyway, come and see me live on the Pants on Fire Tour in your region. Tickets are on sale now and we'll be adding more as the tour continues throughout twenty twenty five and beyond. For a full list of dates, go to the Craig Ferguson show dot com. See you on the road, my DearS. My name is Craig Ferguson. The name of this podcast is Joy. I talk to interest in people about what brings them happiness. Hello everybody, So let me begin with an old fashioned but traditional way of starting out anything I do.
Speaker 2: It's a great day for America, everybody. I won't say that a ton right now, because.
Speaker 1: Everybody gets mad. Everybody gets mad if I say it's a great day for America. People who think it's not a great day for America, and they argue with people that do think it's a great day for America. But it's just the thing I say because you know, anyway, look, here's the thing, this is the Joy Podcast. Normally I talk to people who I want to talk to or sometimes and I'll be honest with you, I don't really want to talk to at all, but I think, oh well, I'll talk to them because see if I can find any common ground because that's kind of what I look to do when I'm talking to someone that's finds some common ground.
Speaker 2: Now that's not.
Speaker 1: That's not hugely popular right now because common ground and agreement isn't clickbait friendly, you know what I'm saying. It's kind of like no one wants to see people agreeing about things.
Speaker 2: So I know that. I mean not that I do this for people to see it.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I do it because it kind of it interests me to talk to people about anything, whether they be celebrities or not, if they're just interested in walks of life. And that was the whole idea of doing this podcast, was to talk to interest in people about stuff that they do. And now interesting doesn't mean I agree with them, it just means interesting. I'm like, oh, well, why tell me why you think that? But it was suggested to me, and I kind of liked the idea of, you know, because one of the most popular bits we did on the old late night show was that Tweets an Email segment when I would get tweets and emails from people who would just send them in and I never looked at them before, and I would like, get the tweet an email and that would just talk to them. I would answer the tweet or the email and you know, and figure out what was going on from there. And it was as somebody said, why don't you, Why don't you try that on the Joint podcast. So the upshot of it is, we are going to try that today. So the guest on the Joy podcast today is you?
Speaker 2: Is You? Is You? Because I like the idea. I like the idea of trying it out.
Speaker 1: So what I have here there's a bunch of tweets and emails that people have sent and via the social media and such. Now look full disclosure, I'm not really on that social media much, you know, the the Instagram and the Twitter x account or twis account that I have, or Facebook or any of the things, or YouTube or anything. I don't really look at that too much because not for any kind of it used to be I think a snobby thing.
Speaker 2: But really, really what it's about is about mental health.
Speaker 1: It drives me crazy if I dig into that, you know, it makes me depressed, so I kind of stay away from it. But Tomas, who I work with, who produces this to Matsuzakopal, who's a lovely man from the Czech Republic or as we must learned to call it now Checkia, although he doesn't like saying that, but he monitors the social media and he looks at it and he put together the questions.
Speaker 2: For you to ask me today.
Speaker 1: So written a here on these is a selection of tweets and emails that people have sent and now I'm going to answer them and we'll.
Speaker 2: See where we go from there.
Speaker 1: So let's see, this is from email and email from Stuart McMillan. Can you name the bars you worked in London and Glasgow and how many still exist? Well it's very easy one that because I never worked in any bars in London at all.
Speaker 2: I only drank.
Speaker 1: I drank in some bars in London and I was thrown out, thrown out some bars in London, some pretty pretty good ones too. But I never worked in any of them. It was really interested in supplying. I was more interested in consuming. I did work in one bar in Glasgow. I ex actually I love that job, but it was in a It was the upstairs bar of a restaurant called the Ubiquitous Chip in Glasgow. That was the name of the It's a very fancy restaurant. Actually, it's very popular. It's still there and if you've going to Glasgow, please spend your increasingly devalued American dollar there.
Speaker 2: It's a very fancy restaurant.
Speaker 1: And upstairs they had a bar where they sold a beer called Fustenberg. Fustenburg is a German lager beer which they sold on tap. I think you can get it in more places now, but in the time when I work there, it would be the mid to late eighties, that was the only place that I knew of, certainly in Scotland that I knew of, that you could buy Fustenburg lager beer on tap. Now this stuff is very, very strong, and the bar itself was very close to Glasgow University, and Glasgow University academics used to come in and say, I'll take a lager beer, because that's how academics talk. And I would say, well, okay, you can have one, but you can't have any more than you can have anyone too. They would have two of them and they'd be like, what are you talking about, and they'd have four and then we'd have to call the police. It's a very strong beer, that's what I'm saying for Bustenburg Lager beer.
Speaker 2: And I worked in that. I love that. Joe.
Speaker 1: Working in that bar I think was the best training ever for what I ended up doing later on, like doing stand up and doing you know, the late night show and interview shows and stuff and even game shows. Because it was very improvisational. You were dealing with a lot of noise and a lot of different stimulus, a lot of different people all trying to get your attention, and you had to improvise. You had to improvise a great deal, and improvisation is fun.
Speaker 2: It. It was kind of like the way.
Speaker 1: You see young comics now they do crowd work in clubs and they film themselves doing crowd work and then they put it up on the internet.
Speaker 2: And I think that's fine.
Speaker 1: I'm glad I didn't do that though, because crowd work, which basically working in a bar like.
Speaker 2: That kind of is crowd work. You know, you just kind of like, hey, where are you from? Where you're dumb or wherever? The thing is.
Speaker 1: That I don't know how much I would want that recorded for later. It's one of the things I think about, you know, with younger people now, particularly younger performers. I think it's great that they have access to so much media so quickly, But I also think there's a downside to it, which is, and you know, many of running too this already, that a lot of the stuff you do when you're starting now isn't perhaps your best stuff, or your most sensitive stuff, or your more thought out stuff.
Speaker 2: You know, you're more considered stuff, and you end up it comes back and gets you later on. I mean, look, it doesn't have to be. It doesn't have to be that. There seems to be.
Speaker 1: A real thrust right now in all forms of particularly entertainment media, which is I mean, really, what is that but to try and find to catch somebody out at some point in their career, and you know, and shame shame them for a clumsy thing they said, or a silly thing they said.
Speaker 2: It's time to me, it's hand to everybody.
Speaker 1: I think I think it's mean spirited and mean spirited of course gets clicks. There was a project that my son, my younger son, was given in school. The teacher gave them he said that you have twenty minutes twenty minutes to find a piece of good news on conventional media. Go out and find a piece of good news. And they really struggle to find it. You know, because when you watch the news back in the day when TV was a thing, you know, they would be all the terrible yews about what was going on, but the end it was always, you know, a parrot that could write, a skateboard or a pig that could sing Dixie or something, and it cheered everybody up towards the end of the news.
Speaker 2: Now, of course that impulse is.
Speaker 1: Taken over by I guess TikTok and Instagram, where you see parents that can do skateboards or dogs that can juggle or stuff like that. But but I think it's kind of a lot of it is you can get too much of it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I don't mean you can get too much good news. I mean you can get too much of that stuff doesn't do anything anyway. What the hell was I talking about?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, what I'm saying is I don't know if it's a great idea for young performers to have everything out there right away, but you know, the genies out of the bottle, that's going to happen.
Speaker 2: I'm glad it didn't happen to me.
Speaker 1: So I worked in one bar in Glasgow, which I really loved working there. You know, if I wasn't an alcoholic who was sober and I am still sober by the way, thanks Internet rumors, but I've been sober for thirty.
Speaker 2: Three years now, over thirty three years.
Speaker 1: It's funny how you get the sense some people would really be delighted if I if I wasn't sober. I don't know if I'm imagining that, if I'm paranoid or something. You get the idea that people be like, oh yeah, say it doesn't work.
Speaker 2: It works if you work it the uh. But the idea of.
Speaker 1: You know, having stuff out there when you're young, I don't know. But this is always the problem I've had with performance. I like to perform live because when it's done, it's done, it's over, and it's finished, and everybody goes away and you remember it the way you remember it, whether you liked it, you didn't like it, It's up to you. But now you know the struggle. The kind of tension I feel was is I don't really like and I've never really enjoyed visibility. I like, obviously, you need to have it. I want people to come to the show, and so they need to know who I am, and they need to know where I'm playing and what I'm doing, and I want to entertaining people.
Speaker 2: I like doing it. I love doing it. It's my thing.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, I struggle with the idea of visibility because.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It makes me feel uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: I feel like maybe I'm just I think it's probably one to have your cake and eat it, which is a phrase I've never understood anyway. I mean, what's the point of having a cake and not eating it. It's like, oh, he wants to have his cake and eat it. Well, what else are you going to do with a fucking cake? I mean, it doesn't make any sense to it anyway. The short answer to the question hang on my nose is running a bit. That's probably the cocaine A. The short answer to the question can you name the bars you worked in? I worked in one. It's called the u Beiguitous Chip in Glasgow. Gosh, I mean a bear. Try and cut these answers down a little bit.
Speaker 2: We're gonna be here all day and we're not Hello.
Speaker 1: This is Greig Ferguson and I want to let you know I have a brand new stand up comedy special out now on YouTube. It's called I'm So Happy and I would be so happy if you checked it out watch the special. Just go to my YouTube channel at the Craig Ferguson Show and is this right there?
Speaker 2: Just click it and play it and it's free. I can't look.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna come around your house and show you how to do it. If you can't do it, then you can't have it. But if you can figure it out, it's yours. This is from Moss Wheeling. That's a lovely name, isn't it, moss Wheeling. It sounds like a like a village in the middle of England somewhere.
Speaker 2: Welcome to moss Wheeling. Joy the cricket.
Speaker 1: Moss says, would you ever make a puppet show for kids? The rabbit on your old show always seemed joyful? Yeah, nah, nah, I don't want to do a publish show for kids.
Speaker 2: That's it. It's a nice short answer. I don't want to do it. I want to really do a puplish show. Friend.
Speaker 1: I loved doing the puppets on the Late Night Show. But the reason we did the puppets on the Late Night Show, and I think I've talked about this.
Speaker 2: Before, but it was because we had no money. I don't know.
Speaker 1: If you look, if you go and look back at the countless millions of pirated clips of that my old Late Night Show on YouTube, on the internet everywhere, you'll see that the show that I was making at the time, we were making five shows a week, and we had really, honestly no money to make the show we were making it. We had no band, we had very few writers, we had very few resources a lot of the times, particularly in the first eight years of the show. In the last two years, we had a slightly bigger studio, but in the first eight years of the show, the studio was so small that if we had a guest band on, like I don't know, Adele was on, or the Damned or the sex Pistols or the buzz Coos or whoever it was on Echo and the Bunnyman. Okay, go whatever, you understand what band is. But when they were on the show, we had to record the band first, play their music, and then we had to move all their equipment off so we could get the late night equipment on. And then I would do the show, and at the end of the show, when the band would be on, I would pretend to introduce the band, and then we would edit the band in. But I'd already seen them and so with everyone else.
Speaker 2: It wasn't ideal, but it worked for us anyway.
Speaker 1: The puppet thing was we just saw some puppets lying around the office, and we don't all try that, and it's resonated with people. People do love puppets, I think because puppets can say things that humans aren't allowed to say.
Speaker 2: That's the convention, isn't it. And I think that's true.
Speaker 1: The best example of that, of course, it's a former guest on this show is a triumph the Insult comedy Insult Dog. It was a fabulous puppet.
Speaker 2: But I don't think I would do a puppet show for kids or for anyone else.
Speaker 1: But you know, never say never. This is from swackhar Ghosts. I think I'm pronouncing that probably swack car ghosts see you maybe go see I don't know, Swakhar. It's a very nice name, so it's maybe Indian.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I've probably annoyed a bunch of people by even suggesting.
Speaker 1: That it might not be. I don't know wherever it's from. Anyway, It's an innocent mistake. But Swakar says, I'm getting married in November this year. Any advice for a healthy married life. No, actually, I think I might have some advice for the healthy married life.
Speaker 2: And it's to do with this. This is coffee. And look, I won't lie to you. I was married a couple of times the three.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I was married once in the eighties for a couple of years. That was a I mean, look nothing about the lovely woman I was married to, but we were both drinking a lot, you know, and it wasn't a marriage as I understand it now. And then I was married in nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 2: I got my again, and.
Speaker 1: That was you know, it was what it was, and it didn't work out, but we had a lovely son who is obviously still my son and who.
Speaker 2: I love very much, so that was great. And the boon from that.
Speaker 1: But I've been married now since two thousand and eight, and here's what I would say. It's coffee coffee time because every morning, whether I'm like on the road and away from home or in or at home, we have coffee time.
Speaker 2: Every morning. We sit down, we have a couple of very good coffee, and we talk.
Speaker 1: And a lot of the times, I'd say maybe like eighty percent of the time, I don't talk that much.
Speaker 2: I listened to a lot of thanks.
Speaker 1: And a lot of you know, my wife is very is very plugged into news and current events and politics. She pays a great deal attention to all that. I actually don't I feel like something BIG's gonna happen, I'll hear about it, probably from her, And that's kind of where I get my news. It's a trusted source. So we we have coffee time because news now. And this is one of the conflicts I have about even doing this what I'm doing right now, which is everything in media. All media is social media. There's no you know, there's nothing but social media. When they talk about legacy media, you go, what are you talking about. Everything's a fucking website. Everything is you know, everything everybody's got their tweets and their you know, their instagrams and their social media. Everyone's looking for traffic on their site, which you know, fine, but it's but that's what it is. And and I find that And I don't know if you guys know this, but I find the the hyperbolic nature of reporting to be exhausting, really honestly, honesty, goodness exhausting, and I find it depressing. It's like, you go, this is a really big thing that's gonna happen, and we should all be worried. And then then nothing happens or something does happen. But what the fuck did the worrying?
Speaker 2: Do you know? Did that help? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I know a lot of people disagree with me, like, no, you've got to stay connected to what's going on, But I'm like, I don't know, I don't know if I if I really fucking do. I mean, especially now that I'm married to someone who is connected to what's going on, I'll hear it from her and that's a trusted source for me. Like when she says, oh, guess what's going on in Washington and then she tells me and I'm like, oh, my God.
Speaker 2: And then the trick is to have really good coffee.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm saying, because then whenever you're listening to something you know, and then.
Speaker 2: You taste the coffee, you're like, oh my god, that's delicious, and then you can hear things. And I'm not saying I'm not lessening.
Speaker 1: Of course I'm listening, but but I'm I'm also really enjoying the coffee. And I think that I think that's that's what it is for me. So a healthy married life coffee. Now, there are considerations here. Obviously there may be cultural or religious implications for you that require you not to drink coffee. Perhaps coffee isn't isn't you know, isn't something you enjoy or doing it. But find a coffee substitute, perhaps water, perhaps, I don't know, scotch, whatever, you enjoy drinking in the morning.
Speaker 2: I used to enjoy drinking.
Speaker 1: I used to people say I'm not an alcoholic, because you know, I didn't realize I was an alcoholic until I drank in the morning. And I certainly when I was drinking, which is a long time ago, I did drink in the morning. And what people don't tell you about drinking in the morning. I'm not advocating this, but I will say this, if you're an alcoholic drinking in the morning, it's the best bit. That's the best bit, that's the only bit that's good. At the end of it, it's just like, oh, thank God if you can hold it down, which is tricky a lot of the time.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: This is from so the Kyo Good Marriage coffee or coffee equivalent. This is from Christine krys Up. How many tattoos do you have now? And what are the stories behind some of your favorites. It's an interesting thing about tattoos. I think tattoos are a bit like sex or murder. I think that, you know, the first one is the most difficult, then after that they get kind of easier. And the truth is, the way I feel about tattoos now is not the same as I felt when I got my first tattoo, and I think most people with do who have tattoos now kind of feel this way. I think the ones I talk to you get one, it's very significant. Oh this is a tribal marking for my favorite you know saying, or this is my mom's you know, sisters blouse that was very important to me.
Speaker 2: Or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: You get tattooed in your body, and that's very important, and then the next one's you know, important, but maybe slightly less important. What happens that I got my first tattoo after my father died. My father hated tattoos, and after he died, I thought, oh gosh, it was the best way to commemorate a man who hated tattoos Celtic paradox, get a tattoo.
Speaker 2: So I got a tattoo for my.
Speaker 1: Father, and I only got one, and then I forgot about it for a couple of years. Then but three years later, sadly, my mother died, and you know, I was sad, of course, obviously. And then about a year after my mother died, I heard this kind of voice in my head. It was like, oh, you get a tattoo for your father, but oh, nothing for your mother. So I know, all right, So I got my mother's family crest tager, my father's family crest tattooed, and then I got my mother's family crest tattooed. Interestingly, father's tattoo, the family crest of the Fergusons went on and about you know, hour and a half two hours, hardly any pain at all, mother's family crest two days, agonizing. I don't know if that's significant or not, or maybe it says something about me. So I got those tattoos. But then I was talking to the guy who was doing the tattoo at the time and he said, well, you know, it's bad luck to have an even number of tattoos.
Speaker 2: I was like, is it?
Speaker 1: And I'm very I'm a control freak, so you tell me anything that I could possibly throw a bit of ocd onto and.
Speaker 2: Like bad luck, and I'm like, oh, I kind have bad luck.
Speaker 1: So I had to have a third tattoo, and I had recently become an American citizen, so I got, you know, the join or Die Benjamin Franklin, I know, a tattoo put there, and.
Speaker 2: That was the third tattoo. But after that you kind of just get tattoos.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I don't really know how many I have now because there's like does that count as one or you know what about this is definitely one. But then these little bits were added later and you know, there's a bit around there and that guy and it becomes I think.
Speaker 2: It's just something that you do or something that you have.
Speaker 1: And it's not that it becomes less important, it just becomes less dramatic, maybe like a marriage, you know, or a relationship with mankind, you know, a friendship. You know that over time it becomes less dramatic and a little more comfortable, and it leaves a mark, and sometimes it stings, and sometimes you wish I should probably get rid of that, you know what. I would never get rid of a tattoo. And I'll tell you why, because I feel like it's part of your history. You know, it's part of the whatever marks you picked up along the way. I feel like I have a scar on my hand if you can see that there, there's a little a scar across the back of my hand there that I got when I was drunk. When I was about nineteen or twenty years old. I punched a window and some great idea I had about punching a window, and I punched the window and I, you know, I got a scar in the back of my hand. It was very painful at the time, and there's a lot of blood and very dramatic. But you know, I'm sixty two years old now and I got scarre in my hand. I barely, but every now and again I see it and I go, I'm not blame me with an asshole or I just you know, I have affection for you know, whatever that young man was going through at the time, and it has a certain sweetness to it for me, even although I'd rather know have done it, but I did it. And tattoos are a bit like that. I sometimes think grief is a bit like that. I was talking to someone last night at a show I do. After my stand up shows now, I do a lot of meet and greets, and I was talking to a woman after the show and she was talking about she'd been bereaved recently and she felt bad and she'd come to the show to have a laugh and I had a laugh and that was great, and I was talking to her a bit about grief, and I think grief is a little like a scar, you know it really, I mean, my god, it's so pain and it never it never goes away, but it becomes something that's part of you. And in remembering someone, like a scar, it kind of becomes like there's a sweetness to a memory if you've loved someone and most of them that that's what I thought. I don't know why I got into that. It's from tattoos, I guess because I got my first tattoo through grief.
Speaker 2: You know, that was what my father had died. I was bereft. I love that man.
Speaker 1: I loved my mother too, and and so the scar that I inflicted upon myself was a physical manifestation of the scar that I had in my soul from the grief. So the scar itself is the tattoo, and every tattoo is a scar, I.
Speaker 2: Guess in a way. One other things, I will say one that kind of makes me laugh, or maybe it's an indication.
Speaker 1: But here's a story right there. I don't if you can see, I have the planet Saturn. That's where I wear my watch. Planet Saturn. That Saturn, of course, in the is the bringer of old age. Right he also ate his children, But you know, I don't know if he really did that. I think that's metaphorical, but also it's also metaphoric books planet, you know, but Saturn in mythology, the idea is that Saturn is.
Speaker 2: The bringer of old age.
Speaker 1: And I thought, well, I'll get that where where my watch is. So if I forget to wear my watch and I look to see what time it is. I'll go, oh, yeah, that's what time is. All right, let's see what else we got.
Speaker 2: We got.
Speaker 1: From Robbie Winstead on Instagram. Robbie says, the last book you read? What was the last book you read? Now, I'm quite owed about the way I read because recently, and this is one of the things I have to say that I'm so grateful for about these things.
Speaker 2: The phones is, I've become very into audiobooks. So I will read a book.
Speaker 1: At one point and it might not necessarily be the book i'm listening to it. It's almost like I consume more. I know it sounds kind of greedy, and I suppose in the way it is. But the audiobook thing is into me because I started getting into the Greek philosophers, Greek and Roman Stoics for the most part, but also Epicureans and.
Speaker 2: You know, go back from you know.
Speaker 1: From Seneca, back to Epictetus, from Epictetus to Zinos, from Zeno to Socrates. And I've become fascinated by the audiobook thing and what I was interested in. And I'll get to the last book I read in a minute, because it's none of this, but it made me think of it is that the audiobook thing getting into the idea of Socrates in particular, a lot of these guys, Epictetus as well, they didn't write down what they were talking about. They you know, their their their pupils did their Decipe did, but they didn't. So the work of Socrates is all filtered through the writing of Plato, the work of Epictetus.
Speaker 2: Who was a stoic of some renown.
Speaker 1: And I'm not an expert in any of this, but all of his stuff was written down by one of.
Speaker 2: His pupils because they didn't trust.
Speaker 1: I think what it was is they didn't quite trust the medium to get across the message that they wanted to get across, and they wanted to see they wanted to be in the room at the time, and.
Speaker 2: I feel a great kinship to that.
Speaker 1: It is an interesting thing about what we're doing right this very second, which I'm not writing any of this down.
Speaker 2: I haven't prepared anything for it.
Speaker 1: I'm sitting in a fucking hotel room in Orange County because I'm doing a stand up show tonight. But there is a directness about what we're doing now, and I don't know if you guys will respond to it. But I'm kind of interested in what's happening. Not that I'm comparing myself to the great Stoic minds or of Epictatus.
Speaker 2: Or like that. But Seneca did write stuff done.
Speaker 1: But but I do, I do quite like the idea of just talking. And maybe that's an egotism, maybe, and maybe i'm, you know, second guessing myself. I don't know, but I guess the bottom line is nobody. Nobody makes you listen. I mean, it's one of the things that I I'm doing myself now that I don't listen to the as much as I can avoid it. The cacophony of the media, of all stripes, it doesn't matter if it's left or right or red, a blue, or in. Everybody's fucking yelling all the time, and I feel like I can't hear anything when everybody's yelling.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 1: I've become interested in audio recordings of the writing of the great Stoics there Now. The last book I read was a book by Robert Harris, who was a great, a great writer. It's kind of in the same the same thing that he wrote a trilogy of books which I highly recommend, a really very entertaining and very knowledgeable about the life of the great Roman statesman and let's be honest, a stoic Cicero. And he wrote it from the point of view of Cicero's slave Tiro.
Speaker 2: I think that was his name.
Speaker 1: And Tiro actually apparently did write a book, but it was lost in antiquity, was lost in history. So Robert Harris wrote three books about that, assuming the role of Tiro in the writing, which is just fabulous writer. And I think they're called Imperium, Conspirata, and Dictator. I think that's the name of the three books. But you could look up Robert Harris the Cicero Trilogy, and they are said at the time when Rome was transferring from a republic to an empire. Now, I wonder if you can see we're I'm going with this that there was a great shift in the politics of Earth at the time, and Cicero was was very much complicit in that.
Speaker 2: He had a point of view in it.
Speaker 1: He wasn't ultimately victorious and how he wanted it to go, but he was part of the movement of history at that time, and it was witnessed expertly through Robert Harris's character of the slaved hero at the time.
Speaker 2: And this is fascinating.
Speaker 1: It's a fascinating parallels into how the world is now because here's for I believe, you know, when everybody says, and this was during the election and all that, everybody said, it's never been as bad as this, like it kind of it kind of always has.
Speaker 2: It always has been like this. This is how it is.
Speaker 1: But what it requires of you right now is to try and sift through the noise.
Speaker 2: I think it was.
Speaker 1: Look, I'm probably misquoting this terribly, but you know I didn't. I don't know if well, I'm sure I'll be checked in the comments and stuff, but luckily someone else will read them.
Speaker 2: But there is a quote. I think it's an indirect quote. Beware the man that bangs the drum of war, Beware the man that.
Speaker 1: Says the enemy is at the gates, because I am that man and I am Caesar.
Speaker 2: Chilling, isn't it, You know? Keep the people scared of everything all the.
Speaker 1: Time, and then you know, it doesn't matter what you what you're trying to steer them into.
Speaker 2: Keep them afraid.
Speaker 1: And by having people afraid, having people frantic, they're easier to hurt. But that being said, I also have another theory that kind of is in opposition to that when it comes to the idea of you know, well, what I mean is like when I talk to my wife, she's always like she sees she's not earth the theorist, but she sees, Oh, this is what they're trying to do, or this is what these people are trying to do or that, And I'm like, I don't see that way so much because I don't think people are that competent. You know, Whenever I've met high up people in the level of corporate stuff or you know, governmental positions, and I've met some very senior people in both of these worlds.
Speaker 2: I'm always shocked by how fucking dumb all over them most of them just fucking you know, not even dumb, just kind of like they don't have that.
Speaker 1: They don't have the kind of wherewithal the conspiracy together. Hardly any of them can put a fucking golf game together. I mean, it's it's not that golf is a sign of intelligence, it's absolutely not.
Speaker 2: But uh, but it's a lovely game.
Speaker 1: I feel like a lot of the time the answer is incompetence, not conspiracy.
Speaker 2: That's why.
Speaker 1: I think, of course I could be incompetent or more frighteningly, maybe I'm part of a conspiracy, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: I can't join anything.
Speaker 1: It's one of the things that really I learned about myself when I was doing Late Night.
Speaker 2: Late Night is a let's be honest, a fraternity for the most part.
Speaker 1: Certainly was then of about maybe at that time it was half a dozen guys, and I couldn't even be part of that.
Speaker 2: I'm not a great joiner.
Speaker 1: That's why I've never really worked as a band member, especially if you have the drummer in a band, which is what I was. I mean, you want the drummer to be part of things, not working on his own. If you do that, you end up with the police. You know what I'm saying. You know what I'm talking about? This thing that guy speeds up all the time, all the time.
Speaker 2: I hear him.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I got a lot have I've been talking. Well, okay, so look here's the thing. I've got a bunch of emails here. I don't know how you guys feel about this format. I'm kind of okay with it. I think it's worth exploring a little more. I'll get more specific, and I'll stay on the keep sending the emails and the tweets and stuff. I'll and I'll do some more of them if you want it to happen. If you don't, it's cool. I mean, I'm I'm you know, I can, I'll.
Speaker 2: Be all right. That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Here's well, I'll try and leave you with something pithy and helpful. Here's what I think is, try and have good coffee, consider the source of your information, talk to someone you trust and consider what that means. And also listen more than you talk, which is rich coming from a guy who's just talked you know and staff for the last half hour.
Speaker 2: And I guess I really believe this, And.
Speaker 3: This is for everybody lighting the fuck up. O.
Speaker 2: Don't don't do