Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center, Jack Armstrong, Joe Getty, Armstrong and Getty and Key Armstrong and Getty, a handful of America hate and socialists one congressional primaries yesterday, which will factor into some of my questions for our next guest. If you read one book about the founding of this great country leading up to the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary on July fourth, it should be Timothy Sanderfer's Proclaiming Liberty, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson and the Declaration of Independence. Absolutely fantastic, and we welcome back who we used to call Tim the lawyer, Tim Sanderford to the Armstrong and Getty Show hate Tim. Hey, Jack, thanks for having me back. I'm a mood for a variety of reasons. My son was complaining about some things they had been teaching him in school. You know, we had If you're of a certain age.
Speaker 2: You kind of just assumed the the the American exceptionalism, the wonder of the founding, all the great things that came out of establishing this this.
Speaker 1: Project two hundred and fift year.
Speaker 3: Sorry, Jack, do you think that would be taught in a California public school. What in the world made you think that would be taught in the schools of California.
Speaker 1: I used to think that, and then and then I became aware that, you know, whether it's neo Marxist or whatever's going on. And then, you know, the sixteen nineteen project comes along, and the fact that at the two hundred and fiftieth birthday of our country. I'm old, So I was eleven during the bi centennial, and at least for my you know, I wasn't reading the op ed pages of the New York Times, but I don't remember anything but happiness and gratitude. Now, well, it's as if the whole idea of America is up for debate in the op ed sections of all your major newspapers about the founding of this country, and I'd like you to push back on that lot.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think part of that was maybe you were seeing nineteen seventy six through a child's lenses.
Speaker 1: Remember this is the post.
Speaker 3: Watergate era, and you know, the other people who are around at the time have told me that it was not as fun as it should have been, and that there was a lingering sense of disappointment and even some nihilism over the end of the Vietnam War and.
Speaker 1: Things like that.
Speaker 3: So, you know, Americans have always faced these kinds of challenges, and some of them have been even much worse than what we're facing right now. I mean, it's hard to imagine that today we're worse off than the country was in eighteen sixty one, for example. So you know, we've seen tough times. We've seen times when America's enemies have been on the ascent, and we've fought back against that. Now, the problem that we face that I think is unique is that we've fought back against that a group of people who really understood and appreciated America's ideals, and I think that is missing on the right today, and that's why the left is succeeding through default.
Speaker 1: Ah that's interesting. Yeah, well everything you said there is true. But I also don't remember ever being told that we were a bad country at any point through my K through twelve schooling, which my kids do get sometimes.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I do think that there's a a more militant left today, and I think part of that is that, you know, the teachers of today are the were the students of the previous generation, and so they've learned from people who were already on the left, and the left has gotten much more intensified, and the same is true on the right. And also I think what's happening is that the broad middle of common sense people are abandoning the typical left right dimension and as a result, those who remain in those categories, the people who's stay in the democratic and Republican parties, I think they're getting more and more ideologically intense, precisely because their numbers are shrinking as the number of independence expands.
Speaker 1: Well, this move towards socialism by by part of the crowd and the what did zoron mom Donnie say, the warm embrace of collectivism? That is there something to human nature where we don't want freedom and want to be taken care of that we need to push back against. Yeah, Oh, my goodness.
Speaker 3: Even I sometimes long for the days of my childhood when all of my bills were paid for by my parents and I didn't have to worry about responsibility. Of course, everybody and everybody feels envy from time to time, and you combine those two things, the fear of responsibility and envy, and you put those together, and what do you have.
Speaker 1: You have socialism.
Speaker 3: So of course people are attracted to that.
Speaker 1: And the problem is, you.
Speaker 3: Know, maturity means paying your own bills, and nobody wants to face that. And so as our culture rewards immaturity intellectual as well as personal immaturity, more and more you're going to see things like this. But once again, I have to say, it's not worse today than it was in say, nineteen thirty two. In the nineteen thirties, there was a socialist governor of Minnesota, and socialism was viewed as the way of the future, both by right and left because you know, the reality of the Soviet experience and things had not really been publicized very much and things like that.
Speaker 1: So you know, it.
Speaker 3: Is true that you can be pessimistic about the current environment or you can say we're going through a pendulum swing right now. And I think the pendulum is going to swing back eventually as people have enough of this anti intellectual nonsense that's been controlling our politics for a decade now.
Speaker 1: Sure, we've had presidential candidates get more traction as socialists one hundred years ago, one hundred and twenty years ago than we are getting now. So that is a good point, although we jailed them at the time.
Speaker 3: Yes, so i'm, by the way, in favor of jailing presidential candidates on principle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anybody who wants to be president you should look side eyed at what are they up to your book proclaiming liberty? So the Founding Fathers were not worried about Well, certainly the term socialism wasn't Marx wasn't born yet, or was he born, He hadn't written yet. What were the Founding fathers pushing back against.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, it's funny because it's true that the term socialism wasn't around. It's true Karl Marx wasn't around, but socialist ideas had been around since the days of ancient Greece, right, you find it in the writings of Plato, for example. And the Founding Fathers were horrified by it, and they thought it was very obviously ridiculous that if you took wealth from people who earned it and gave it to people who do not thinking that what you're doing is justice, what you're actually doing is committing injustice and destroying people's will to work hard and improve the world. So they ridiculed the idea. Adams and Jefferson alike and all their colleagues. What they were pushing back against in the seventeen seventies, however, was somewhat different. Beginning in about seventeen sixty four, Parliament came up with this notion that it had the authority to control the colonies, that it could legislate for the colonies, not just tax, but also impose other kinds of laws in the colonies. And to the Americans, this was crazy. They had lived for one hundred and fifty years in the American colonies with the view that their laws were written by their local legislatures, by their colonial legislatures. Everybody agreed that you look up to the king. The king is kind of like what we had with our president today. The king was their executive branch, but their legislative branch was their local legislature. And all of a sudden, Parliament says, no, No, Parliament, this is a quote supreme, absolute, unlimited authority to do everything that is not naturally impossible, which means that they have absolute power. And the Americans said, this is a terrible idea, and they opposed it for you know, a decade or a dozen years, and they did that through debate and political protest and legal machinations and politics, until finally it became clear that the King was siding with Parliament in that dispute. And it was that moment in the beginning, at the beginning of seventeen seventy six, that the Americans finally said, fine, then we don't want to have any part of the British Empire anymore. We are abandoning our claims to the traditional rights of Englishmen in the British Constitution, and we are asserting our rights on the basis of the laws of nature and of Nature's God.
Speaker 1: What do you think would have happened if we lost the Revolutionary War? Uh?
Speaker 3: You know, I think the war was inevitable. I think a lot of people thought it was inevitable. Thomas Paine says, in common sense, Look, we all agree that America will be independent someday. The question is just when, you know? So, I think that it would have happened eventually, but I do think there would have been a lot of mess about it, by which I mean, you know, you look at British politics today and see how they are torn between this extreme democracy on one hand, and this anti democracy on the other hand, And nobody really can definitively say what the British Constitution is because it's unwritten, and there's these bizarre traditions and hierarchies that you have to jump through, and then socialism really becomes a parasite on all of that. And I think America would have suffered a lot more as a result of those sorts of ideas. And you know, America today is really the product of two other big things, and that's the Western experience and the Civil War, and both of those would have been drastically different if the British Empire had controlled America up any longer. So it's hard to say, but I do think we'd be I hate to say it more like Canada.
Speaker 1: Wow. I really mean it when I say that, if you read one book, or please read at least book leading up to the Founding or this summer about the Founding Proclaiming Liberty by Tim Sanderford, just because it helps you make arguments. If you end up in a backyard barbecue and somebody starts throwing around some anti American crap, you got something to say back, because it's just way too pervasive in our society right now and apparently comfortable to say that the Founding is about racism, or that the world to be better off without our push you know, dominance and all these things, and just drives me crazy.
Speaker 3: You know, Jack, I say, I must say, I had a number of scores to settle in this book, but I'd been I had been storing them away for decades whenever I'd read something about the Founding or the Declaration or something, and I was like, that's wrong. I was making a mental list, and I put that mental list into this book.
Speaker 1: That's fantastic. That is fantastic. Well, we need more of that. Got you? If you stood up in front of most public cool history classes in this country and give your little spiel about your book, the teacher in the back of the room would would be they'd be rolling their eyes with horror at what you were saying. How crazy is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, however, I will say when I was in school, when I was a kid in school, my teachers were already rolling their eyes in horror at the things that I said, because I was already committed to freedom and they didn't like that much.
Speaker 1: Look, so what I wanted to do in the book is.
Speaker 3: I wanted to go through the declaration line by line and say what all of it really means, because you know, we're very familiar with the opening paragraphs about life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, but there's the list of grievances against what Britain was doing to us, and a lot of Americans today don't know what specifically it refers to because it's written in broad general terms.
Speaker 1: So I wanted to let's touch on that when we come back after the break, if we can, because I want to get into that part of the proclaiming liberty Tim's book, because I think this is so dang important. First, I want to tell you about Incogniti, with which is also important. If you get calls on your phone or text or emails like who is this from? Is this real? This looks fake? Yeah, a lot of times it is fake, or it's a scam or somebody trying to just hack into your phone, whatever it is, And Cogniti is a way to stop that. It works quietly in the background to wipe your personal data from people search sites, those things scare me, data brokers, hidden databases that you probably don't even know exist. Incognitia is busy removing my name in info from hundreds of databases, and they don't stop there. They keep sending follow up requests with the law on their side saying, you gotta get that stuff out of there. They can't scam you if they can't find you. Take your personal data back within cognity. It's like Incognito without all the letters I N. Cogni is how it's spelled. Get sixty percent off the regular price when you use the code armstrong at incognity dot com slash armstrong. That's sixty percent off when you use the code armstrong and in cognity dot com slash armstrong in cognity dot com slash armstrong. This is important stuff. Be able to argue with your college kid when they come back home, or your neighbors who are socialists or whatever it is. Learn a little from Tim sanderfer in his book Proclaiming Liberty a little more when we come back for this summer, or actually any time in our history, but with the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary coming up. The book is Proclaiming Liberty by Timothy Sander for Tim joins us. We're talking about the repainting of the the reflecting pool today. No, No, that's not what we're talking about that. We're talking about his book and the Founding and why it's important to understand it in a way that they don't teach you in school necessarily as looking at the dedication, though you got for Harry Jaffa, who I'm aware of, I'm not aware of Roger Pilon, Yes, but he's at the Cato Institute. Okay, cool, great, But then what is that foreign language thing you got underneath there?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: It's a line from a play by a playwright named Terence Radigan. It's a play called The Browning Version, and it's a story about a teacher who's having a bad time, and during the climactic scene of the play, his student gives him a book with this line inscribed in it, which means something to the effect of God looks kindly upon a good master, and it is a reward to the teacher for all that he's done. And Jaffa and Palon taught me so much about the Declaration of the American Founding that I thought it was an.
Speaker 1: Apt quotation to you. That's awesome. So right before we took a break, you were explaining what the Declaration of Independence meant, the part that you think most people don't get.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, there's this long list of grievances there, and then in each one is phrased in broad terms the founders. By seventeen thirty six, the Founding Fathers were done listing their specific objections to what Britain was doing. They had done that for a dozen years already, and nobody had listened to them. So by seventy to twenty six, they're just going to say, here's what you've been doing to us.
Speaker 1: Boom boom, boom boom.
Speaker 3: And as a result, today we look at things like he has refused his assent to laws the most wholesome and necessary for the public good, and we don't know what laws specifically they're referring to, And so I wanted to go through the whole list and explain what each one is talking about. And there's also other language in the declaration that has been overlooked, not only by the public but by scholars. For example, then the very end of the declaration, it says these United Colonies are and of right ought to be free and independent states. And that phrase of right ought to be is kind of interesting. Why is that in there?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: It turns out that in seventeen sixty six, a decade before, Parliament had passed a law called the Declaratory Act, in which it said that Parliament had complete authority over the American colonies.
Speaker 1: And the phrase it used.
Speaker 3: Was Parliament has and of right ought to have a full authority to legislate for the American colonies in all cases whatsoever.
Speaker 1: And so in the.
Speaker 3: Declaration, the American founders are flapped back at Parliament. They're saying, no, of right, we are free people, and we don't owe you any allegiance. So I wanted to go through all these little tidbits that I think are overlooked sometimes both by scholars and by ordinary Americans who are very familiar with the philosophy. I want I do talk about the philosophy. I think the philosophical aspects of the Declaration are not only important, but literally true. It is a literal fact of the world that all men are created equal. It is absolutely the truth that they are endowed with inalienable rights like life and liberty and the pursuit of happiness. These are not just, you know, things that we've chosen to believe in this society as opposed to some other society, as many today's of today's relativists like to claim. And so I do want to go through all that, but I also didn't want to just be a dry philosophical book. So I also talk about all of this in the context of the friendship between Thomas Jefferson and John Adams as they were working and writing the Declaration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so that's the idea that we're all personally free as opposed to we're subjects of the state, whether it's a king or a collective us like socialism.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean we are inherently responsible for ourselves. There's nothing we can do about that fact. The existentialists back in the nineteen sixties used to use this phrase, used to say we are condemned to be free. Well, I wouldn't say condemned, but we definitely are inherently free because we are self responsible. Nobody else can eat for me, nobody else can breathe for me, and nobody else can think for me. And although I might point a gun at somebody's head and force them to pay my bills, that's not a just thing to do. That's not taking responsibility for myself, and everybody has this sense of self responsibility, and that means everybody has the right to make decisions for their own lives. That's what it means when we say that all people are equally free.
Speaker 1: Hey, we're out of time, Tim, and I just wanted to mention this. So George will once called you a national treasure, which I think is absolutely true. I think that you know, like we have a poet laureate, they should have spat some sort of founding laureate, and some president should make you that person to go around to universities and high schools and teach them this stuff. That's what I think we should do. I would be happy to start. Oh and you'd be so good at it. The book is proclaiming liberty. Timothy Sander for always happy to have you on, Tim, Thanks for your time today.
Speaker 6: Armstrong and getty, guys hear with this world cup Fans are taking bottles of ranch dressing at home as souvenirs, and the TSA had to issue a reminder you can't pack them in your carry ons. It's touch seeing someone at security having to quickly chug a bottle of Hidden Valley.
Speaker 1: Why does everybody love ranch dressing so much. I don't think I've ever had ranch dressing, so I don't know what it tastes like, but I understand what the appeal is. People my kids just love it with everything.
Speaker 4: I can't believe you've never had ranch dressing.
Speaker 1: I don't think I have. It doesn't look good to me anyway. I got a number of things to say, but first I want to do this. Did we win the war with Iran? Or is that undetermined? At this point? I feel like we lost. Am I just being a negative Nelly. I was watching a little clip of what Trump said last week about the rockets. What's wrong with them having rockets? You know they Israel has rockets, out of you, Arabia has rockets. Why doesn't Iran get to have rockets? That wouldn't be fair, which to me is one of the craziest things I've ever heard of. Prison say, I don't get it, and Marco Rubia is watching the clip again today. Marco Rubio was standing behind him and looked so miserable hearing the president do that whole moral moral equivalence between Israel, the United States, and Iran. It's just crazy. It's exactly like, you got a gun who went a guy who went on a shooting spree with a gun, and you've got somebody with a who's never committed a crime in their lives and saying, well, why does he get a gun and he doesn't. There's a reason for that, their history, their intentions. It's crazy anyway. Marco Rubio said this yesterday. Some people feel like this was a tell, this particular statement. I mean, he is the Secretary of State in the Trump administration, and unless he's going to resign, he's there to carry out the president's foreign policy and to stand behind him.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 1: I thought this was a bit of a tell yesterday.
Speaker 7: If Iran makes a decision, if it's leadership makes a decision that they want to be a country instead of a revolutionary movement that exports terror, they're going to have an opportunity to do incredible things in Iraq. I'm not promising you that that's the choice they're going to make. I'm saying that's the choice that they make, then there will be opportunity.
Speaker 1: That's the Secretary of State holding it out there that they might not be a country that wants to be a real country as opposed to a revolutionary country. The jade vance Trump signal is that, oh yeah, these are different people that that's already decided. This is a new crowd. They want to be part of the you know, the modern real world and have given up their whole revolutionary background. Marco Rubio is going with the big If Iran wants it turns out to be that, and I'm not saying they are so. I feel like that was a tell from him. But not everybody's on board. The Senate voted yesterday against this war. They voted to end the war. None of this stuff is binding. By the way, the media leaves that out all the time. There is the goes way back to the seventies. There's a statute or whatever it is, edict that Congress can shut off these wars, but there's no teeth to it. Nobody's ever actually used it to stop a war. But it is an indication that there is some turning against the war. As the Senate passed us yesterday with the help of four Republicans I think joined all the Democrats saying that the war's got to come to a close. Here's a representative, Tim Sheehy, a Republican and a pretty Maga Republican throughout the years of Montana Butt fifty four.
Speaker 8: Michael, I hope that vice was in advance, and Kushner and witkaff are successful and convincing Iran to be a normal country and to open their minds and stop trying to murder their neighbors and destroy the world. But the reality is this is a murderous regime that doesn't want a deal. They don't want six dollar gasoline. They don't want the straits to be open. They want you and your family and all of us to be killed.
Speaker 1: They want to.
Speaker 8: Wipe our civilization off the map.
Speaker 1: That's their national motto. So there's at least one Republican who does not think that they have given up their old ways, that there's still a revolutionary country who wants to destroy the United States in Israel. That's what I tend to think. Also, I think Mark Rubio thinks that the same. I would be happy to be wrong. I would be thrilled to be wrong and say, look what a numb nuts I am, huh talking out my hind end, thinking I know what's going on there. Love to be wrong, and Iran turns out to be run by people that just want to do business with the world and be peaceful with their neighbors and not kill all the Jews and attempt to wipe out America, which they could never do. But they could wipe out Israel if they had a bomb, they certainly could, and at least the old people running, the previous people running around. If they had a nuclear weapon and they could get it into New York City, they absolutely would do that without hesitation. Iran getting a nuclear weapon would be one of the biggest moments, if not the biggest moment in world history, well at least up until they set that weapon off. Destroying Israel or blowing up Los Angeles or whatever. And stopping it is very important, and I'm not sure we're going to do a good job of that, depending on how this war turns out. I look forward to talking to Mike Lyons in about a half an hour. I don't even know if he'll answer this question, but the whole did we win or lose? The Wall Street Journals got an opinion piece out today just stating that we lost the war. Who are giving them all these billions of dollars They're going to rey. They've still got their rocket program, They're gonna rebuild their nuclear program. It's not, even though we did tremendous damage to it. We did tremendous damage to lots of things in Iran, but we're giving them so much money and it looks like a free pass going forward. And Iran knows that you're never gonna put together the political will to attack us like that again, where they're gonna be screaming toward a nuclear weapon or at least enough rocket capability to overwhelm Iron DOMA and Israel. And again, I would love to be wrong, but this is huge news. This is huge news. This is on the Trump side of things on this war that maybe he and JD are right and US naysayers are wrong. Here's Tree Inks on Fox Today, clip forty five. Well, the timeline is on clear.
Speaker 5: President Trump says there is no rush getting these inspectors into the country, but told Fox News that US inspectors will join the IAEA when they ultimately go into Iran to locate this highly enriched geranium that we know is bear read deep underground, the President describing this as a mountain that collapsed on this material. After those B two bombers targeted Iran during Operation Midnight Hammer.
Speaker 1: He that left out the first part where he says the head of the IAEA, that's the inspection outfit that looks for weapons of mass destruction like nuclear weapons. Do you remember the Iraq war? That was the IAEA. They got kicked out of Iraq and what got the war going. The IAEA guy announced yesterday that yes, there is an agreement. It is in the agreement that we're going into Iran soon and starting to look for the nuclear material and verify the fact that they're not rebuilding a nuclear weapon. I thought JD was just hoping or making that up, because Iran came out immediately after JD vance said that over the weekend and said no, we didn't agree to that. We're not allowing any inspectors in. The IAEA says, yep, that's in the agreement and we'll be there. Why Iran's playing that game, I have no idea. If they just want to cause troubles, which is what they like to do, if they want to appear to the hardcore Muslim fanatics in their country like they haven't given in to the big bad Satan of the United States and done our bidding. I don't know what their goal is with lying about that. But it appears that the agreement does actually include inspectors getting in there very soon. I still think it's a bad idea to give them the billions of dollars before we confirm that the nuclear weapons program is stopped, but that discussion is ongoing. I'm still putting negative on the whole thing. Big news though, that the IAEA is actually going to get in there and on the ground soon, including, according to Trump, some American inspectors in there, because sometimes you can't trust going back to Iraq, you can't trust the IAEA. A bunch of foreigners are on the take, corrupt organization like so many of your worldwide corrupt organizations, like the un like the WHO around COVID, like lots of them. But having some Americans in there will be good. Later we'll have to talk about what a big deal is that three socialists one against mainstream Democrats in New York last night. What does that mean for our politics nationwide?
Speaker 3: Or are.
Speaker 1: The movement of is socialism on the march all across the country. Well, we'll touch on that at some point. Some lighter fare that I want to talk about got into this discussion. Does walking faster, burn more calories. Was I misled by chat gpt on my nightly walks where I walk really really fast and look kind of goofy to try to burn more calories. According to chat gpt, it doesn't help to walk faster, but somebody said groxid, it does. I have an argument between the chatbots.
Speaker 4: I think you were misled.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make sense, right, doesn't make any sense. Got to burn more calories to walk faster? Anyway, That and other things on the way stay here. I'ven't seeing a lot of reporting on the NBA draft last night. Various bad teams that drafted high picks in the first round, and a reminder that the MVP of the NBA Championship this year was the thirty third pick in the draft second round, Jalen Brunson. So don't necessarily expect to have everything turn around because you got a high pick. Doesn't always work with that one. Here's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen on the news from last night on CBS. Oh yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 9: That's Joseph mcgrail, bit up and ac cleaner and competitive loudmouth. So to speak from Australia who recently shatted the word now at one hundred and twenty two point four decibels, which is in the range of a chainsaw or jet engine, and Guinness says it's a new world record.
Speaker 1: We have a new world's loudest man. He's the loudest man who's ever lived. They think, can you play the beginning again?
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, oh yeah, that's it Joe.
Speaker 1: So obviously that's loud. It's impossible to know unless you're standing next to him. That's louder than the average loud person. Joe always says, I'm the loudest person on earth, like whenever we have to do anything with microphones, to have my microphone like half what is so that we are even because I'm very, very loud. I don't know if I'm loud of that guy. I might have to get a decibel meter and test myself. Maybe that's my Maybe that's my future, being a really loud person who goes around to county fairs and talks really loud or yells something for the kids. I'd be fun. So I'm walking the other night. Maybe you heard this the other day, walking the other night with my son and I go I walk a mile and a half two miles every night. Make sure I do it every single night. And then I also go to the gym and do other stuff, ride my bike, whatever, But I make sure it at least I do this no matter how busy I am. And my son wanted to go with me other night, which is awesome because we get to talk. And I walk really fast. I walk really fast everywhere. I walk really fast. Down the hallway to get coffee, I walk. I'm just a fast walker. My kids complaining about all the time, Dad, why are we running? And I told him, at least on our walk. I said, well, I'm trying to burn more calories, because you know, the whole point of the walk is exercise. And he said, I don't think you burn more calories walking faster. And I thought, that makes no sense whatsoever. I said, that can't be true. So I AI did. I don't remember which chat, but I used. I think it was clawed. Actually, So I said, during my nightly walk, I walk really fast, with the understanding that will burn more calories. But if I walked farther slower, would that burn more calories or less calories? Or would it be a wash? I was wondering if it'd be better off going further rather than walking faster. The short version is the total distance is a much bigger driver than the speed that you walk. If I want to go out there and walk and burn the most calories, I should go further at a slower pace. The distance is what matters the most. You do burn a few more calories walking faster, but not much. Distance would be a much bigger deal than the speed. The calories you burn walking are mostly a function of how far you move your body weight, not how fast. The idea being I'm one hundred and eighty eight pounds moving one hundred and eighty eight pounds a mile and a half takes the same amount of energy at this speed or that speed is what Claud claimed, which still doesn't quite make sense to me, because at the end of it, walking really fast, I'm sweating and breathing hard. On days where I walk slower, like if I'm talking on the phone and not paying attention or something like that, I'm not breathing harder sweating, And isn't by definition, if you're breathing hard and sweating, meaning you're burning more calories. Doesn't that just intuitively make sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Anyway, so I had that result and this this might be more about Oh darn it, I didn't, did I screen capture? Yeah, this might be more about our chatbots than about the science of burning calories. Somebody said, Grok gave a different answer. They texted me yesterday. Grok gave me a different answer regarding calories and walking speed. Grog said faster pace does burn more than slower paste. Although I didn't deny that it burned more. It just said it's not significant enough to really make a difference walking real fast. I don't know. I don't know need a doctor or a physicist or the world's allowdest guy to weigh in on this on what burns the most calories?
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 1: I need to do more cardio. Everybody should do more cardio because it's really really good for your heart. And is that one of the things you need to do for your diabetes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it works very well for me.
Speaker 1: Brings down the blood sugar really. Oh yeah, you test your bud blood sugar how often?
Speaker 4: Well, I've a meter actually on my arm that can look at so I have my cell phone today. It actually tells me what my blood reading is.
Speaker 1: Is that thing poking with a needle all the time. Yeah, it's just it is.
Speaker 4: I put shit in the skin one time and it just goes for about two weeks.
Speaker 1: You're wearing something with a needle in your skin. Yeah, yeah, in my elbow. Does it hurt? No, not at all.
Speaker 4: I don't even notice it.
Speaker 1: You got a needle jammed in your elbow? Yeah, that sounds awful.
Speaker 4: It's just a little little tiny thing goes right in and it's there all the time.
Speaker 1: There all the time. Okay. Anyway, so you notice when you exercise, your blood sugar goes out. Oh yeah, yeah, I wis y'all should have one of those. What exercise are you doing?
Speaker 4: I'll do recumbent bike, I'll do tread.
Speaker 1: And I don't know what that word is. What the hell is I mean? You don't know what a recumbent bike is? Yeah, I don't know if I've ever heard that word in my life. It's just a bike. You sit, you just sit down and pedal. It's just a bike. Sounds like a Yeah, I mean, where'd you come up with this fancy recomverbent word? Sit down bike? That's all it is. I think somebody charged you more for putting the word recumbent in front of bike. Oh, very common word. Okay, I've never heard of before. Uh, you're well, it's so it's a stationary bike. Yeah, that's all it is. Okay, But you sit down, that's all okay, as opposed to what as opposed.
Speaker 4: To like a treadmill where you're you know, walking and you know, standing upright.
Speaker 1: And you have to have your pinky up in the air when you're sitting on a recumbent bike. No, it's nice because they're fancy words.
Speaker 4: I can look at my phone, watch TV, you know, watch show or something like that.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, once you get in that. I was trying to convince my son of this, and he's been doing better. Talk about this all the time. Apologize if you heard me say it before. I didn't learn it until I was I don't know, ten years ago. But once I got into my head and I recognized it. Good habits are just as hard to break as bad habits. Habits are really hard to break. We all know habits are hard to break. You're thinking about bad habits right, chewing our fingernails or grabbing M and m's out of the dish on the corner, or whatever your bad habit is good. Habits are really really hard to break. Two you just have to establish them. And like I'm to the point now with practicing musical instruments and exercising, for instance, see you use two good things. I also stopped chewing my fingernails, thank God. But it is really difficult for me to go to bed without having exercised or practicing a musical instrument because I have it as a habit, and it just drives me nuts. It just it irks me if I don't do it. Like I'm trying to start that habit with writing, I don't have the habit of writing. I'm trying to get into the habit of writing three hundred and fifty words every day at least to get and so hopefully that will become a habit, a habit that is hard to quit, that I just need to do every day and do automatically. Right now, it's a ponderous chore. Call it recumbent if you want that. I find very difficult to do. I have to make myself do it. But if I can make myself do it, for there is actually a number they say how many times how long you have to do something before it comes a habit six weeks or something like that. I'll look that up. There's a known number for how long you have to do something for it to become a habit. But good habits are as hard to break his bad habits. I'm trying to convince my son of that if we go out and walk every single night pre soon, I'll just do it automatically. He won't be able to not do it. It'll feel weird anyway. That's one of the best lessons I've ever learned in my life. We get a lot more coming up. We'll talk to Mike Lyons about did we win the war or not? Maybe it's too early to tell. If you miss the segment, get the podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty