Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's big news, bro, It's really not. I don't think it is. Is it off the air? Rich is trying to convince me that it's huge news that Katie Perry's now out of space. I mean, congrats, I'm glad they had a great time. The big news, like, is it really It was kind of wild to see, but big news. I didn't hear anybody talk about this.
Speaker 3: It would be bigger news if she put weight back on, because she's one of those Was it ozempic I'm not sure, but she was.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 3: I'm saying, like with with weight on, she had nice curves and was like a really attractive female. She couldn't even gain more weight. I would have fed her more cheeseburgers. She's so skinny right now. And that's Danny g everyone tim No, but that's the opposite of what I can't say. We are live from the Mercedes Benz Studios again, Cavino and rich In for the Great Dan Petiser.
Speaker 4: Ken Spot biggest beautifull.
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely, that's his preference. You can't tell him what he likes any so, I fot likes big Adel. He doesn't like just because.
Speaker 4: Spot is all skinny now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, twenty twenty five, Benny g Super producing on the phones at eight seven, seven ninety nine on Fox. We got Iowa sam in the studio today on the Ones and two Samuel, He's with us five to seven on the East on our regular Monday to Friday show and again play along home at Covino and Rich. I'm Steve Cavino. That's Rich Davis, our buddy Mark's hanging out. Thank you guys for hanging out with us. Now we are giving away prizes, so stick around. We're gonna play some games today. We got to talk about Lebron and other things that were in the news this weekend. But the Masters, everybody's talking about it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: On a personal note, Yeah, I see myself golfing in the future, just not right now. I see you Mini golfing. I mean I am pretty good. You know, Mini Golfing's wore my speed. To be honest, you ever let your daughter or girlfriend beat you at minnigaff Ever, No, Bill's character. You know, you gotta play your heart out every time. So Page Sprannick, who's been on the show, made a post. She's a delight. She is a delight. She was great hot take. But I wish all sporting events banned phones. It was so special to see everyone enjoying the moment and being present. And I have to say I had a similar experience over the weekend before we went to Sacramento to watch the Mets in the A's. We had a great weekend.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 2: You could see it at Covino and Rich We did the Bushwhackers on Friday night. It was my buddy Jose's party. Now, if you listen to Series six M, Jose Mangen is the heavy metal Ambassador of Series six M. So at his birthday party? Is that on his business card? Ambassador? No? Seriously, yeah, yeah, like you know where you're says radio tycoon. He says heavy metal ambassador. No, what did you call me before the pop Princess? Yes, I knew Katie Perry was in out of space. Anyway, go back to so Jose, who's a rock host. You know we're radio friends throughout the years. It was his birthday party. But he had the band machine Head playing at his birthday party. Now, I'm not the biggest machine Head fan, but they've been around forever. That's way cooler that when you had a magician at your birth Way better than Captain Crossbones. So hey, pick a card, kids, Yeah, way better than when Magic Mark was there. And I'm at the event for my buddy's birthday. This is Friday night in Los Angeles, actually in Seal Beach. And when I got to the event, they're like, all right, give us your phones, Like, give you, give you my phone. There's a lot of a lot of stuff that I don't want anyone to know about it on this phone. I'm not gonna hand it over my phone and you stranger. Yeah, and you know they put them in these little packets. I'm sure you guys have been to an event, if not for any sort of major event or where it's private or whatever, they don't want you to have phones. They take your phones. Movie screenings do that a lot, Yeah, movie screenings. They did it on the White Lotus this season season three, so that people can enjoy their time on vacation. They put them in protective packets, little cases, and they're like, we'll give them to you later. I'm like, all right, cool, can I tell you rich It was like a throwback of awesome cause you're in the moment. You know what I enjoyed, machine Head, You know what I enjoyed their performance. You know, I enjoyed talking to people and having conversations and fun and friends and like, wow, this is what we used to do, right, like talk and interact. And that's kind of what you saw at the Masters this weekend when people were really in the moment watching McElroy win. You're forced to be the old social, not reliant on your phone version of yourself. So what do you think about the at all sporting events. I think it's fantastic. I think that's a good I really do. It's it's impossible to really make happen, but man, it would be awesome if they could. It's impossible. You're not gonna be able to check fifty thousand phones at a football stadium, and you can be able to check you can check yourself, or you could wreck yourself because.
Speaker 3: What if you have a babysitter at home with your toddler. Though I know there's always a cute, you don't need.
Speaker 4: Your phones for emergencies.
Speaker 5: Danny g I'm glad you brought that up, because that really is the only thing that irks me.
Speaker 2: We're all, you know, dads. Most of us here are are dads where we have little kids. In an emergency, you never know you want that. But again, what did our dads do? They survived. We didn't know where the hell they were.
Speaker 4: Guess when the well they left for packs of cigarettes.
Speaker 2: Let's just say, guess when the dinner happens. Dinner happened when dad got home, and you had no clue when dad was coming home, when dad got home from the nudie bar. Yeah, knows where dad was. We didn't know.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and with any the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 5: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on in the world. We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture. Stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together, I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 5: We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, and if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Covino and Rich. I'm watching the highlights of Tony's home run last night. Then he hit another one. Here's your daughter on TV cheering. Oh she's holding a sign I hate my dad. Boy, she is holding another sign my dad stinks and so do the Mets, and so do the Mets. Wow. Hey, it's Cavino and Rich in for the Great Dan Patrick. Day two of the Dan Patrick Patrick, which means we'll be here tomorrow and we'll be here next Tuesday. So lucky you well do you know why. We're gonna be here next Tuesday. And by the way, we're live in the Mercedes Benz Studios DP does it right next week, Dan's on Monday. We're gonna be fieling on Tuesday because they're headed to the NFL Draft as a show. They'll be doing the show NFL Draft Style Wednesday and Thursday, I believe. So with that said, we're gonna talk about some NFL quarterback moves and some speculation and some rumors coming up in a few minutes. Plus what type of vacation person are you? A lot a lot of fun in randomness, but here's where we start today. My daughter goes to the Dodgers game last night with her little girlfriends, her little galpals, my daughter seven, and one of the moms is like, we're taking the girls because it's Hello Kitty night, and I was like, yeah, you could bring my daughter.
Speaker 4: Thank you for the invite.
Speaker 2: My daughter comes home last night with a Hello Kitty Dodgers stuffy, a Dodger's hat and a little helmet and she's like, Dad, I think I like the Dodgers, but I mean a roof of the Mets if they play each other, and I'm like, oh, she's just saying that because she doesn't want.
Speaker 4: To crush me.
Speaker 2: There's a lot going on here, man, because first and first mostly as we say here on the show, important is the fun that she had. Okay, so let's be real about it. Let's go Dodgers, man. They're just rubbing it into Dad's face. Dad's a lifelong Mets guy. And again, these are your roots and you got to be proud of them. We're out here alone in Los Angeles, but live in La who he do so.
Speaker 4: Here? That's the thing.
Speaker 2: My daughter has never been to City Field, and this summer when we go visit New York family, I'm gonna take her for the first time. We live in La am I doing her a disservice by being like, no, we're much fair.
Speaker 5: There's so many ways to look at it. I'm the dad of teenage daughter. She doesn't give a Diddley squad about baseball. Meanwhile, her dad's like obsessed with baseball and the Yankees.
Speaker 2: Right, so you do your best to influence your kids. However, I bond over music and other things with my daughter, right. I think you have a duty as a parent, not just as a dad, as a parent to say the right things and to do your part. But then they're gonna make their own choices anyway. And you learn that as time goes on, and about everything like political views, ways of life, any sort of thing that you think, you feel it's your job. It could be as simple as, hey, they notice, stay safe and put on their seatbelt. But it's your job as your dad, as a dad, or as a parent to remind him, hey, put your seatbelt on. I know that, I know, but I'm just doing my job. It's kind of your job to be like, remember, we root for the Mets. If they make their own decisions and she becomes a Dodgers fan, you know that's that's fine.
Speaker 5: They're gonna make their own decisions. But you still have to do your part. That's my point. You also have to about, yeah, I guess she's no, we're Dodgers fans, and you'd say what a smile because you're not going to force her to think what you think.
Speaker 2: But you got to remind her we're Dodgers fan. I mean, we're Mets fans. See now you're you're confused with me. So your calls, your feedback phones are all lit. Every single line. So when your kid chooses a different team, let's go rapid fire, or as we like to say, throw it back to the nineties cross fire. We get caught up in there. You know you never had that, while I never had it, but I'm very well aware of it. That means you got to be snappy. This go through all the phone calls me seven seven ninety nine on Fox Pennsylvania. Mio, what's going on?
Speaker 6: Hey? Thank you? First time, long time.
Speaker 7: I love the Cowboys. I grew up Cowboys fan.
Speaker 6: I bak I hate everything Philadelphia sports. Oh yeah, my son has been influenced by his cousins and his cousin's family and now came up to me and said, Dad, I love the Eagles.
Speaker 2: Come on, yeah, you know I love and hate that story all once for me. Yeah, but you also have to teach again, try again your part, right, You can't control of your kid and you want them to be free thinkers and be proud of their choices. But you have to.
Speaker 5: Teach them, or at least try to teach and preach to them that no, we don't fall into peer pressure.
Speaker 2: You know, have a backbone. This is who we are and that's just what we do you gotta just do your part, like you said, heartbreak, Like you said, there's times in life where you you do lose control of your kids. And the example he gave was how many times does a kid them back from college and all of a sudden they were like a liberal hippie and their parents like what happened.
Speaker 4: All that time?
Speaker 2: Yeah, our parents felt the same way about us. Dave in Colorado, what's up, Dave?
Speaker 4: Hey, Dave, what's up?
Speaker 7: Guys, thanks for taking the.
Speaker 2: Call, No problem, thank.
Speaker 7: You, yoh man. I got a I guess a quick admission. I'm a I grew up in Detroit, so we attended all all like old school Pistons games and Tigers games when you could find tickets on the ground walk right in. So by default I was kind of a Detroite sports fan. But I've been in Colorado twenty I don't know, over twenty years now, and my rear end kicked in at an Avalanche game wearing some some red Wings gear when I'm just more of a hockey and a sports fan, So I don't know. I agree with you guys about your concepts of snowplow parenting. You want to have your kids go through the diversity, But man, I don't know if I want them field and that's just from wearing like an out of town Jersey, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what. The one sport I guess I would say I'm most passionate about as far as that's that's my old school team is is baseball. I'm I'm a kid from Long Island. I like that, right, give dad that. You know what I'm saying, Like if they want to root for the Lakers or hey, fine, I was gonna say. I'll even myself. I was never a big Knicks fan. I can't call myself a Laker, Sam, but I've been out here over a decade. I like Lakers Kings. I'm a big hockey basketball guy. My diehard alliances are NFL and Major League Baseball. So not all traditions have to die rich. Yeah, you know, like she carries your last name because you're her dad. Yeah, you know what, I'll give you this one, And she carries the Mets losing tradition because you're her dad. How do you feel about this? Danny G You and I and Cove. You know, we've all come up in the radio ranks, and you know, we all have these friends that have moved around the country for radio or TV gigs, Like, hey, are friend Nico, he's the new morning guy in Phoenix. Or hey, you remember Dana who used to work on the show. She's the new news anchor at Philadelphia. How do you feel about when media personalities adopt the city they live in for a long time. He's not real sports like our buddy Nico is from Detroit, but he's a fickle But he's the morning guy in Phoenix. Now, there's a way to handle that respectfully. Yeah, I mean, like the Cardinals, you can do your job and show some cardinal pride, but you got to represent.
Speaker 3: It would be really hard to just bold face lie to your new listeners, especially with the ink I have on my body. You know, how would I suddenly be a fan of their team?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're you're You're an extreme example. But I see my buddy Nico, who I know grew up in Detroit, lived in New York for like twenty years. He's a big time morning guy in Phoenix, and I see him like on social media like yo, yo, Sons. He's you know, Sons fired their coach, you know, go Sons. I'm like Sons Okay, if he really meant that, he's just a people pleaser, and I know he's not. He's our pal, so I think he's just doing his job and he's doing the right thing in that moment.
Speaker 3: But you could be you could be a heel and just as popular.
Speaker 2: It's true. I mean even our former president didn't Obama where like a white Sox jersey, your hat or something that Wrigley. He never like denied his fandom, but he did it respectfully, like there's ways to do it. You know, need to be such a bandwagon person. I mean Giuliani before the hair dyed dripping down his face, when he when when the world loved him before, you know, things were weird because it just was a Yankees and where you're from, it's not that serious. And I respected that. He was very diehard Yankees. All right, Johnna Florida rapid fire? What's up?
Speaker 8: John A Fellas, what's good?
Speaker 6: Good morning?
Speaker 7: Like the New Time slot listen.
Speaker 3: You know me, I'm a big New England Boston fan of all the sports. And uh I got three boys, so I thought the Celtics in the in the Pats on them hockey and baseball.
Speaker 6: I let them.
Speaker 3: Figure it out, but the Celtics and Pats big time.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I think that's the rule. I think we've come to some weird hybrid conclusion that if your kids are growing up in a different city than you are, you could pick. You could be like, hey, kids, I get it. We we live in Dallas now, I grew up here. But there's one team this our family is. We're Mets fan. You know, maybe I tell my kids, hey, we're Mets fans, football, basketball, hockey. Do you think make your decision?
Speaker 4: Kids?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but dad's holding strong. Yeah we are Mets again. Because that's your part. They're gonna make their own minds up anyway, unfortunately, So yeah, I think that's it. I want them to think about me when I'm an old guy, when you know, when I'm in my nineties and up and I croak and the Mets finally when the World Series the year after I die, I want them to think of me. Ron in South Dakota, what's up?
Speaker 4: Ron? Hey?
Speaker 9: This one My situation is very easy. I was born and raised in Chicago. My son was born in Chicago, but we left there for the Twin Cities before he was two years old. Yet he's a Cubs fan due to me, but I give them the right to be a Twins fan also since he's in the Twin Cities. And it's easy because Cub this National League, Twins is americanly. Now, if there was in the Sane League, same division or anything, we might have to go to court and get some papers to solve something on this, you know. But with the girl it's different too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what's interesting. Let me add one more rub coming on. They will take the last couple. I see my son playing t ball. I coach his team, and when they get up to bed, I'll say things to them like, all right, come on, yo, get those you know, get those hands back, you know, drive through the ball, just like and I think in my head I have to use Dodgers. I come on, who you Mookie, Betsy? You Freddy Freeman? Yo, all right, you're o Tani. Let's see that stroke. You're not saying polar Bear p I'm not saying polar bear peak because all the little bulls televampe Yeah, who is Soto? My my son and his little friends on his T ball team, they're not telling him come on, just like Timmy Tuffell used to do. Come on, just like len use those hips. Use those hips, just like the Toughle Shuffle, Daryl Strawberry swing Man bit better than that. But uh, you know, at some point I don't want my kid to feel like the weirdo when everyone else is like, go Dodgers and he's like, yeah, guys, but I like them. It was that campaign we grew up with. There to be different, all right, There to be It's not that big of a deal if he's a Mets fan, you know, and you can say, hey, it's not that big of a deal.
Speaker 5: On the flip side, I get it because it is. It's fun, it's sports. But it's okay that he's the one kid that roots for the Dodgers. They're the Mets. See now you get me confused.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: It's Dan Patrick Show, Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 4: Every tom slot.
Speaker 2: God Lee, the TVs Are Better.
Speaker 4: TV is is on point.
Speaker 5: LeVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas knocks with the hair in for DP and the Guys live from the tirerac dot Com Studios tire rack dot com. We'll help you get there, an unmatched selection, fast free shipping, free road has a protection and over ten thousand recommended installers. Tire rack dot com the way tire buying should be. So we mentioned what the Cleveland Browns might do a quarterback or excuse me, at the number two pick, and the feeling is they're going to go with Travis Hunter.
Speaker 2: That's at least what.
Speaker 5: The speculation is, and the question then becomes what's the long term planet quarterback? Well, listen, Andrew Berry, the GM there says it's a little too early to tell whether or not Deshaun Watson can play in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: I'd like to offer this up.
Speaker 5: Some would argue it's debatable whether or not he's played yet for the organization based on what has happened suspensions, performance, etc.
Speaker 4: Etc.
Speaker 5: But nonetheless, now they've got a quarterback room that's got Joe Flacco and Kenny Pickett. Joe Flacco was brought back. He won Comeback Player of the Year a couple of years ago, and so the discussion was being had with the fan in Cleveland. He was talking with Ken Carmon and Anthony Lima about the development of quarterbacks in the NFL and had this to.
Speaker 8: Say, I do think it's important for young quarterbacks to be able to learn. You don't want to put a young quarterback in a football game before he's actually ready, because you know, there's there's just so many things in the in the cycle in this league these days is just so quick. You want these guys to be ready. And I do think there's huge advantages to being able to sit back and make sure you get and gain that confidence and and and really really learn the game and get the get the team surrounded in a good way so that you can go out there and have success. And I think that stuff happens naturally through like competition in different rooms. And you know, like the more competition you have and the more people you have competing, the more conversations come up and the more people learn. I think that's true, and not just in sports, but in every environment. You want good people in a room together that can push each other and then you'll get the most out of everybody.
Speaker 5: So that was Joe Flacco talking with the fan in Cleveland about the development of quarterbacks there.
Speaker 10: I mean, well, yeah, he's you know, forty years old now where you know, that's that's what it sounds like. I mean, when you played for as long as he has seventeen years, it's going to come off that way. And I think, look going back to his experience, he was a guy who started, you know, as a rookie, and you know, they had a lot of team success. He was good as a rookie. He continually got better and better and better. But you know, when you go back and look at the course of his career, he had continually developed into the position after his first couple of years to really be a guy that they could rely on, in particular in the clutch. And I think what he probably learned from his looking back at his rookiear and even just playing for as long as he played, is you know, and this is kind of happens. I think to all of us as fathers, like you look at your child or you look at younger generations and you're like, oh, I remember going through that, Like this is probably what they don't know or this is what they need to know in order to be able to do this the right way or be successful. And now again, playing as long as he has, he's seeing all that in real time as he's you know, had to kind of come in and pinch hit, if you will, for a lot of you know, younger guys his Stinton Cleveland back in twenty twenty three, a couple of years ago, and even last year for Anthony Richardson. And I think he's very aware of how different things are now, you know, for quarterbacks coming to the league, where they draft them, they play them, and they rinse them out right, they don't get any time to really sit, watch and learn unless you're a part of an organization that tries to do a right or if you've got a Hall of Fame guy sitting there in front of him, or at least a Pro Bowl caliber guy like an Alex Smith, or he's a Green Bay Aaron Rodgers and then Jordan Love, so that that's really few and far between, right, Most teams are hoping they could find a guy that's gonna be a Pro Bowl caliber quarterback, let alone a Hall of Famer. And so I think his you know, his words are wise in the sense of probably everything he's experienced as a starter, as a backup, as a guy who look, he's made a ton of money at this point in time in his career. He's won a Super Bowl. He's he's continually been able to prove that he can still do it, and so he does a need to. I think there's a desire of one two and at the same time being able to be a guy who's he's got five kids.
Speaker 2: You know, he's he's a family man.
Speaker 10: So he probably sees it from a lot different perspective, uh than a lot of guys who played the position, especially a lot of the young guys.
Speaker 11: Dang kids. He can sling that pill. Huh, he's a quarterback on in I think.
Speaker 5: I think he also said he was, uh, it was kind of nice to get away from his kids for a little bit.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 5: He was kind of half joking, but I think he just wanted to break.
Speaker 11: I think it's a I think it's a wise move to bring in Flacco for one reason and one reason alone. We could work from there. In my estimation, it's because you have someone that can stabilize an unstable environments as the quarterback. I think the Deshaun Watson conversation has created so much, so much confusion, so much you know kind of you know, is a conflict of how you want to feel about the situation. Is it you know what's next for the situation. There's so much surrounding Deshaun Watson that has been a an agent of deterioration for the Cleveland Browns. To bring a rookie into that equation, whether they're prepared for mentally, emotionally, physically to be able to handle it or not, it's really an unfair task and wait to put on the of a newly acquired, a newly hired talent for that position for your team and knowing that that element is still there, like whoever goes in has to accept the fact that Deshaun Watson still has to be a part of the conversation in terms of whose team is this at that position. That would be the first thing that I would say would be the wisest move, and bringing in a quarterback would be to bring in a guy like Joe Flacco who things like that are not going to bother him. He's already clearly shown you that it's not going to bother him. He's on borrowed time anyway, He's at the end of his career, and anything that he gets from this moment on is he's playing with house money. So he's going to go in there he's familiar with the front office, he's familiar with guys that are in the locker room, and he's going to be a positive force to the players that are in there and the other people that are around, including the fan base. He's he's a positive asset to add to your team and to add to your room. And hey, if Pickett proves out then and is able to learn some things from Flacco during this time, and you get get a bonus and picket developing if you take a draft pick somewhere. They got a few. They they got the thirty third pick in the second round. So that's that's a pretty pretty uh, pretty good position to be in to either be able to move up maybe a little bit in the second round or sit there and somebody's going to possibly fall to you at that thirty third pick. I think that for what it's worth, and you may not hear me say this often, I think Cleveland played this particular situation the right way in terms of a quarterback that can handle what's going on right now in Cleveland.
Speaker 5: When he talks about like developing young quarterbacks and you know how to how teams go about or how they should go about it, it still blows my mind that And I know it's not an exact science and every player is different and all that, but it still blows my mind that you draft a guy's almost he's an investment. And I don't know a whole hell of a lot about investing, but I do know that it does take some time, and you don't want to, like, you know, manipulate your investment too soon, because you got to let it grow a little bit.
Speaker 4: You gotta let it.
Speaker 5: And Joe Flacco's point was like, man, I think we got to be a little bit more patient, But nowadays they're just not. They want to know, now, all right, can you play?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: Well? Who the hell knows?
Speaker 5: Like it could be situation, it could be time, It could be another scenario altogether. Alex Smith took years before he developed. He went through like seven coaches or offensive core nators or whatever it was, and finally he found something. Had they pulled the rugout early on, he would have never developed into a guy that, you know, brought Kansas City to where they were before Patrick Mahomes took over and got him over the hump. You look at Sam Darnold Baker Mayfield, Man, if you would have talked to the Browns back then. The book was written on Baker Mayfield. And yet for some reason, it just feels like, no, we got to know. Now we need an answer. Now it's an investment. But no, no, no, we got to have some answers. We've got to have some returns.
Speaker 11: Now with Watson, I feel like Baker Mayfield might have done something. He flirted with the wrong person or something man.
Speaker 2: And I thought, look, I think I think Rogers.
Speaker 11: In person, somebody's hey, he upsets somebody.
Speaker 5: I think Rogers, you know, has kind of made this point before to where like, man, there's there's gotta be some trust, like some hey, look, we are trusting you're making the decision, and we're trusting this pick at this time, and let's let it grow. Instead, it's like, now he can't play, he's got to go. And there's so many examples of that, And I don't get why, in a business like the NFL, where you are dependent on everybody around you to be successful, why it all comes down to now that guy can't play well, No, Like you've got to produce the environment for him to play, And that seems to be lost in so many situations.
Speaker 10: So I keep going back to too how different the game is at the NFL level from the college level. And I hope people understand this that RPOs they're not as capable or impactful at the NFL level because the rule that you could only have an eligible lineman, for example, downfield only a yard. In college and high school it's three and honestly it's more like three and a half because it's so hard for officials to be able to see it at that.
Speaker 4: Point in the play.
Speaker 10: I mean, when you picture a thing about an offensive lineman moving three yards downfield, that's a couple seconds into the play, right he's moving through a gigantic human being across from Even if he's uncovered and moving up to the next level, he's still trying to get a sense for what that linebacker is going to be because, don't get a twisted it is a run play, all right. There's different types of pass protections. There's pass pro, there's run action pro. Where it's a pass play, the linemen know not to go downfield, but they are doing their best to block it like it's a run, and so their responsibilities in regards to pressure are off. They don't adjust anything they're doing they are relying on the fake then a run action pass protection to be able to take care of whatever is going on and pre snap, if the quarterback sees something that he's like, this is a disaster, you get out of it, right, you audible out of it. But it's entirely different with an RPO. It is a run play. That quarterback has the opportunity to hand that football off high school, college level, even at the NFL level, the way it's taught, and then you're triggering or you're off one player on defense, and so the game has become so simplified at the high school to college level to where you have one of two choices. You're either keeping it and you're gonna throw, depending on what that defender does, if he steps up to stop the run or if he stays back in coverage, you're gonna hand the football off. And honestly, RPOs have replaced what used to be quick game, the three step game, where even in three step drop it sounds somewhat simple, right one, two, three, you're throwing the football. You're not really able to hitch up in the pocket because you're not getting any depth. You still had to read coverage. Even in a three step game, you had a one high or two high look, meaning if there was one safety the middle of the field, you're working to your left. If there's two high safeties right, a split safety look, you're working to your right. Or there could be a three by one set where you're checking your backside singled up route. If you like, you take it. If not, you're probably working a quick progression to the other side. So that used to be like the simplest form of passing back when I was young, back when a lot of quarterbacks were growing up through an era at a time where you used to play under center a little bit more, or even if you were in shotgun that was part of the quick game. The RPO game has essentially replaced that because you get the ability to put the defense in conflict much more, because there's that run pass conflict of reading that overhang defender or whoever whatever defender it is to decide if you want to throw or run the football. And if you think about what three step passing game was, it was like a glorified handoff. It was a higher percentage pass that you're going to be able to to complete and not get a big game, but move the sticks, or at least get enough of a game where it puts you in third and manageable, or you're back on track if you happen to take a loss on first down, and so you're back in third and manageable right in those instances. So to me, the subtle difference is in how the game is taught at high school to college and now to the NFL. It's one of those things that it takes time and you're making these decisions in seconds. One one thousand and two, one thousand balls got to be out, and you've got all these other things you have to be worried about. It's not really that way at a lot of the colleges, even with some the NFO. You know coaches that are down at that level or even what they're asking him that you know what they're doing. And it's why the NFL has had to adapt a lot of their offensive scheme to what these quarterbacks are accustomed to doing, because they don't have the time to develop and no one has the patience anymore to see if they can develop into being that guy. They have to be able to show it in their rookie year, otherwise everyone throws them the wayside.
Speaker 4: That's weird, man.
Speaker 5: It's unfortunate for these guys that just get lumped in like Ken can think about Kenny Pickett, what's he on his third team?
Speaker 4: Third team?
Speaker 2: He just got drafted and he just got traded. He's traded twice, so the third team, Like he just got into the league.
Speaker 5: Like not that long ago. We were at that draft in Vegas when he was when he was selected, and just the books apparently already written. It is two pros and a cup of Joe in for the Dan Patrick Show Here on Fox Sports Radio, LeVar Arrington, Brady Quinn, Jonas Knox with you,