Speaker 1: Welcome back everybody to the Alex Dump Show live here in Cleveland. We are on the field, Alex. We've been doing the show every week. If you don't believe us, check your algorithm. I don't know if people are just not caught up with how consistent we've been with this venture.
Speaker 2: I've been keeping someone on the cunning room floor make sure that it's only the best episodes. Lets see the light of day, right right.
Speaker 1: We're all about quality here at Bucko Banter and the Alex Dump Show. Alex, we're here in Cleveland. Last night's game got banged due to the air quality. You got two weeks, three weeks. Within three weeks, you get two double headers. How do we feel going after the break into Cleveland?
Speaker 2: I mean, you'd like to not have to burn your bullpen so efficiently right out of the gate, But you know what, the way the cards are played, they got six games in five days, and these are six very important games. You kind of hope that they win three or four of them if you want to stay in that wild card race. Alex.
Speaker 3: We just heard Donny Kelly talk in the dugout and O'Niel cruise was answer to the sixty day IL to make room for Wilbert Hotel. And also Christian Curtis is here as a twenty seventh man. We'll get into the cruise trade rumors later, but any concern about you know, O'Neill cruise's like overall health. Do you think there's he's going to be back still on time for August eighth?
Speaker 2: First of all, Christian Curtis has the roster spot open. That's why Cruz is going to the sixty day. All along, they maintained that this was probably gonna be late July early August, and if you look at look, we need to open up a roster spot right now, that's a way to do it, you know, you just push him back at theoretically like a week or so. It still stinks that this was supposed to be just a day to day injury and now it's required a sixty day IL extent. I do expect him to probably come back in early August, because Don Kelly just said there wasn't a setback and that was always the timeline.
Speaker 1: So we'll see how big was that week going into the ulcer break. Obviously a disappointing series versus the Braves where you feel like you should have won that series. You ever opportunity iku and then the Brewers come into town and it just feels like must win, right, maybe we take two games here, got it right the ship and you get a sweep. How big was that for this squad that was a must win series?
Speaker 2: Like to get a sweep there, that puts some of they win in their sales like that could have been. I think we're having a very different discussion over this whole last week. If they were forty seven and fifty after getting swept by the Brewers, like that's three big wins against a divisional opponent, they are right in the mix still for the wild card. I've maintained this entire time, they just have to keep their head above water, come to trade deadline, and hope that they supplement it through a couple trades. They've done that so far, Alex.
Speaker 3: The big story through June and most of early July was Paul Skins. Right, they didn't win a game with him on the mound from May twelfth, I think, until the fourth of July week or slightly after. What did you see from him from his last two stars? Do you think he's back to the old Paul Skins.
Speaker 2: You know that last start, and I know he had a long hour long break because of that ten run inning one of those days, but he still threw sixty percent forcing fastballs and the four seemer was at ninety six miles per hour. Like if he had a bad start, people would be saying, he just threw a ninety six mile prior fastball sixty percent of the time right here. So like, I don't know if there's really any change from what we saw in the first couple of weeks. I'm very intrigued to see how he's gonna do this. You know, these first starts out of the break whatever, he actually does have a little time to unplug, to reassess, to look at some stuff. But no, I can't look at you know, ninety six mile prior fastballs and be like, yeah, he's bad.
Speaker 3: Do you think most of that has to do with fatigue and he's throwing more than he ever has in his life, Because you know a lot of people point to when the average spin rate on the fastball goes down, usually either a it's an injury or the guy's just fatigue and he's off mechanically. Would you lean more than it's it's because of fatigue.
Speaker 2: I I mean, if I had to take a guess, that'd probably be it. I mean, I stand by last year he threw more innings than he ever threw before in his life. It was the first time he ever threw six months in his life. And maybe that's just led to a different it challenges whenever it came to conditioning and prepared for the year, like what he did to prepare in previous years maybe wasn't enough. Like that's just pure speculation on my part, But I'm looking at a guy who's fastball is trended down every month, you know, vlo wise fin wise that that's a red flag for me.
Speaker 1: Do you see them making a move for another starting pitcher? I know the focus has mostly been in the bullpen. Haven't made any bullpen moves. Brought in Robert Hassel, the third on a minor league gil. Obviously Jacob Gonzalez is here with the squad. But what about a rotation army.
Speaker 2: I think you have to seriously consider it because with Mitch Keller, the quality has been an issue. With Brax n Ashcraft and Bubba Chandler, you have to worry about the quantity yeah, so like, if you're not Paul Skeins, I don't know who you're going to where It's like, I feel really good about how many innings he's gonna throw and the quality of the innings he's kind of throw. I think you have to look just as another guy, like you don't need to trade for an ace. You don't. It doesn't even have be the top of your shopping list, but you have to look at the market, especially a lefty. In my opinion, what are your.
Speaker 3: Thoughts on the Robert Hassele trade? Just a low risk, you know, gamble and a guy that was a former first round pick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it never hurts and not on the roster spot. There's literally no way this turns out to be a bad trade. I think my big takeaway is this guy was, you know, posting bat speeds sub seventy miles per hour and that was still good enough to be the number eight pick out of high school in twenty twenty and to be the headliner in the Won Soto trade. How much have we value player development and certain metrics more than just even a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: Look at that draft though, I mean the first round you can make an argument it's not great, but the Pirates did pretty well in that draft. Nick and Zalez is here, Karen Jones is here, Carmen Macchinski's here. You could go back and look and be like, that's a solid draft for the Pirates.
Speaker 2: And then they traded one player to get Gi Manchoy, they traded another player to get Connor Joe Like they were efficient with that draft. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ben likes to get his guys too, for sure. Going back to the trade deadline, any bullpen arms that you've been intrigued by throughout the league.
Speaker 2: I really like Luke Weaver, and I know that's not new opinion or anything. It will cost a lot in terms of prospects. It'll cost a lot in terms of dollars and cents next year. You need a stud right now. You can't go into these games with the eighth or ninth inning and have those type of backbreaking losses in August in September. You have to have that inning lockdown. I don't think Mason Miller is you know, an option for anyone, or if they do, they're just go, you know, package Bogarts with it in the parts. Obviously would not take on that contract. So I'm looking at Miller. I'm I'm not Miller of Weaver. Thank you.
Speaker 3: What do you think the return is there? Because I thought I saw something online the other day that it would be a top one hundred prospect plus two arms that are close to the big leagues.
Speaker 2: I could buy either or of that, like I could buy.
Speaker 3: You know, are you comfortable giving up an Edward Florentino for a Luke Weaver?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, I would much rather give up the two major league arms. I could deal with losing Hunter Barco and maybe Antoine Kelly, you know, to make that trade happen, rather than Edward Florentino.
Speaker 1: I mean, how do you feel about prospect hugging right now and dealing with the farm system when it comes to the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: I've got two guys I'm not trading, and that's Edward Florentino and seth Rnandez. Every other prospect, in my opinion, is on the table for the right price.
Speaker 1: How close is Murph Gray to that untouchable?
Speaker 2: I think Murph Gray is the second best hitting prospect in this system. Yeah, like excluding As Merlin, who is like a dozen at bats away from being you know, graduating off prospect lists, Like there's a lot of bats feed there. We have seen him every time he's faced a higher challenge. He's frisen to it so far this year great head on his shoulders. Got to know him a little bit last year, Like I really think he is someone that you hang on to. But you know what, if it's Murph Gray for Luke Weaiver, I think I would pull the trigger on that.
Speaker 3: I'm a little offended as the biggest Callen Moss podcast that he's not on your no trade list, But we'll deal with that off camera. Going back to the bullpen. You need more than one arm right.
Speaker 2: Oh, absolutely, Like you need three four Like maybe iSER can be one of those guys Hunter Stratton's kind of that up down role that Cam Sanders was in. But you need quality at the out of these games. Like if Dennis Santana clicks and you, you know, get back what he is in previous year and he's here like your sixth or seventh inning guy, that is just a spoil of riches. At that point. You need to go into next into the next month knowing you're not gonna blow games in the eighth You're not gonna blow games in the ninth.
Speaker 1: Talk about Cleveland real quick after the All Star break. What are the keys to winning this series? Alex's scoring more runs at the end of the game than the other game. Obviously you have to do that.
Speaker 2: I mean, whenever you look at doubleheader like this, it comes down to how many eatings are you go to get out of your starting pitchers Like Rain in the forecast, it's crazy, but just the stretch they're in right now, they need to get innings out of this rotation, especially with all the questions in the bulb Penn.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely. Last question from me, Alex Jacob Gonzalez, how do you feel about his future role on this team and could this be a guy that maybe slots into your future third basement when all of a sudden done.
Speaker 2: I mean potentially, Like, I think there is some potential there, some ceiling there. I think he could be a good utility type player right now. Eager to see how he handles shortstop. You know, with Connor Griffin on the IE for right now, he's got the opportunity to show that he belongs as part of this team for years to come.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Alex, appreciate you joining the show again. Hopefully we'll be back next week when the Pirates are at home for yins or for losers, so we'll get a show. And then so next time, raise it.
Speaker 4: Best seats at the pirates gain and let me run the base. Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Uh whyfe he is a lloyers my date to my dates or to stick by the plates