Speaker 1: The volume.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: The NBA season is in full swing, coming down the stretch. Then we move right into the playoffs in April, May and June. I can't wait. Spice things up with Draftking sports Book and official sports betting partner the NBA. Right now, all you have to do is put down five bucks and get one hundred and fifty dollars instantly in bonus bets. Pretty good trade off. I pay five, I get one hundred and fifty dollars. North Carolina listeners, do not forget. Welcome to the party. Draft King Sportsbook now live in your state, North Carolina. Download the Draftking sports Book app takes ninety seconds. The code is Colin col N Again ninety seconds. Download Draft King Sportsbook app. Put in Colin New customers bet five, get one hundred and fifty back in bonus bets instantly. That is the trade all right. The code is Olhays Colin.
Speaker 4: The crown is.
Speaker 5: Yours gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight open wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine in Connecticut. Help is available for problem gambling call eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothill Casino when resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issueance. See DKNNG dot co slash bball for eligibility and deposit restrictions, terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 6: What's up, everybody? Welcome back to the Draymond Green Show. We got them this next guest, I'm honored to have. It's been a long time coming. Sometimes hard to pin the Sea Captain down, but nonetheless let me get into this intro. As I said, we got to see Captain join it today. Draft about it with the eleven picked by the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 2: In twenty eleven.
Speaker 6: Four time NBA Champion, five time NBA All Star, two time All NBA thirteen NBA All Defensive Second Team, which is I love? That was a big one. That was a big one right there. Also twenty sixteen Olympic gold medalist, none other than my brother, the one and only Klay Thompson.
Speaker 2: What's up.
Speaker 4: Well, it's good to be back.
Speaker 6: Well, it's great to have you on the show for y'all out there. We have been trying to put this together now for about a year. But you know, I've played with Clayton now for twelve years, and I know, like, you don't overly bother Clay. So I just been kind of like throwing the jab every now and they're like, yo, we gotta do the pot. And then Clay committed, and then he decommitted, and then he committed again and.
Speaker 2: We're here, so I appreciate you coming on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no problem, man.
Speaker 2: Let's let's get into it. Though.
Speaker 6: You know, I always always say, you know, I get questions most about you and stuff, what stuff like, what's Clay like?
Speaker 2: And the reality is is.
Speaker 6: People don't think you talk really, So I'm I'm super excited to get you on the pod and see if I can get you to talk a little more than these people think you talk.
Speaker 4: Well, I just talk as much as I have to.
Speaker 6: First off, just just getting right into it, man, What was it like getting drafted by the Golden State Warriors?
Speaker 2: But growing you grew up as a lifelong Laker fan.
Speaker 6: Dad played for the Lakers, grew up as a Laker fan, and then you get drafted by the Golden State Warriors.
Speaker 2: What was that like? Did your dad kind.
Speaker 6: Of needle you a bit when that happened about going to a losing franchise?
Speaker 2: I know how competitive y'all are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I was actually a Blazer fan and a Laker fans simultaneously because my dad played for both teams and great success with both franchises. So very conflicting because the Lakers stood at everybody's way, but growing up in Portland, Blazers were everything.
Speaker 4: Rose Garden was everything.
Speaker 1: And what it was like being drafted by Golden State it was a dream really because moving to SoCal and going to high school down there and knowing I'd be close to my family and I was still in California, I was on the West Coast. It was Yeah, it was a dream really.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: It was as close to home as you could really get. And uh, all my expectations that have been exceeded in my time here. Uh just you know, listing off those accolades you did made me realize how blessed I am. Especially Yeah, growing up watching a lot of NBA and it's Yeah, exceeded everything I ever thought would become of being a Warrior.
Speaker 6: When you when you first got drafted to the Warriors and twenty eleven, Steph is starting his third year, but at the time dealing with ankle injuries and the whole nine being questioned on if he'll actually pan out and.
Speaker 2: All of those things.
Speaker 6: When you get drafted to the Warriors that year, what's your thought of Steph Curry?
Speaker 2: You don't know much about him.
Speaker 6: You're excited or you don't even know to get to excitement or get excited because you don't know so much about him at the time.
Speaker 2: What was your understanding Steph at that time?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Well, Steph was already a superstar in my eyes because I was a big college basketball fan, and the tournament run he had in two thousand and I think eight or nine was so special, and that's when I think he really elevated himself to having a national following. And I was one of those followers. So I was already very familiar with his game and just did on top of the I mean, I almost had a chance of playing in college and then I t my freshman year. We lost to Saint Mary's, who then played Davidson the second round. So that yeah, that's been a very cool experience. But it didn't happen, so it's all good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's been cool.
Speaker 2: Know who was who.
Speaker 6: Earlier in your career and I'm taking you back, who, if any, was a vet for you that took you under their wing that you look back on because and the reason I asked that question is this, And we'll get into that a little later, but I see what you're now doing for the young fellas on our team, Uh, sacrificing, teaching, instilling confidence. Who was the vet for you when you first came in the league that kind of took you under their wing?
Speaker 2: If any?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, my rookie year, I would say Darrell drell Wright was was great. I mean Darrell had the record for most three pointers made in a Warrior season at the time. And he was from southern California as well, and we said a lot of common you know, big lanky wings who loved to shoot the three ball.
Speaker 4: He enjoys baseball just like I do. So d Wright was a great vet to me.
Speaker 1: He would take me out to dinner, he would look after me and just teach me what the NBA life was like, So d Wright was great. I mean, David Lee was a great VET. D Lee was like a superstar my eyes, because I'm a rookie and he's already an All Star, one of the best players on the Knicks team, double double machine. So I looked up to those two guys just being them, so establishing their careers. And I mean Monte was great as well. Mante I just always admired his talent. You know, I was to be able to average twenty five plus in the NBA. I really was enamored by that.
Speaker 4: I aspire to do that.
Speaker 1: So I always watched Mante closely, just how he you know, acted in practice or what his game day rituals were. And then my second year, I thought, or third year, I thought Jermaine O'Neil was a great VET. Jermaine I grew up in Portland, so I knew him from his rookie year and on. He was straight out of high school, and jo was just even beyond basketball. He was the first player to really teach me about business and entrepreneurship, and he was talking that off the court, investing long before it was ever mainstream and popular amongst players.
Speaker 4: These days, and jo was really.
Speaker 1: Opened my mind when I to so many new things. And that's why so much respect for Jail because he didn't go to university and he still became am an incredible, incredibly savvy business person and he kept learning and educating himself. And that's the type of leader I love to be around. And so I give Jail a ton of credit for talking about things outside of hoop that really expanded my horizons.
Speaker 6: You spoke with Monte, and obviously Monte was was traded away, your second year, first first year, first year in the league. Monte gets traded away. That's all this almost in a sense kind of thrusting you and Steph ahead right away. Yeah. Did you feel any added pressure or anything of that nature when when Monte was traded away or did that more so fall onto Steph at that time?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I do remember when Mante was traded. I give Mante a ton of credit because you know, he could have not given paid me no mind, and you know, he's established the best player on our team. He's established playing in the same position they drafted two guard in the lottery.
Speaker 4: He could have had a.
Speaker 1: Bad attitude about it, but he was a great vet in that sense and always looked out for US rookies. But when he got traded, I did. I didn't feel the pressure, but I knew that I had an opportunity and I'll never forget. You know, after he did get traded, we were playing the Kings at Arco Arena and Steph might have been out that night, but he did come up to me pregame and gave me a really good pep talk, like, look, this is your time to seize this moment and be yourself because it's right there for you to take. And that meant a lot to me. He went out his way to tell me that, especially as a twenty one year old rookie, and Steph Curry's telling me that I could be the future too guard of this team that is stilled a ton of confidence in me. I think I went six for nineteen that night, but we got the w and but then I had a great run after that, and that's because you know, the team gave me so much confidence making those moves to allow me to kind of fail my rookie year and play through mistakes, and that experience did so much for me being able to play thirty five minutes against the Celtics or the Lakers, and against guys that I grew up idolizing. So my rookie year was one of the best times of my life.
Speaker 6: Really, Mark Jackson said very early on, I'll never forget it because I remember everybody saying, like, Yo, he's crazy, what is he talking about? Blah blah blah. He said very early on a couple of things. He said, I got the two baddest shooters on the planet. I got the baddest backcourt in the game, best backcourt ever. And when he said that early on, everybody's like, ah, what's wrong with what is he talking about?
Speaker 2: What does he see? And yeah, you guys go on to.
Speaker 6: Completely change the way the game of basketball is played, like completely. But at that time, when Mark Jackson goes on live television, national television to.
Speaker 2: Say that.
Speaker 6: What did that do for you or what did it do to you? How did you feel about it?
Speaker 4: Well, I knew Steph was in that realm at the time. I did not know if I was there yet I knew I could be. What's funny is.
Speaker 1: When I was really active on Twitter back then, I put my bio even before I ever played an NBA game, I put I'm chasing Ray Allen as far as trying to break that record or whatever, right, so to kind of follow that mold of being a Ray Allen Reggie Miller type player. And then for Mark to say those things and him not even budge about it, when you know the experts and analysis were dogging him for it gave me so much confidence. And Mark isn't just going to gas you up like that. He's seeing the best ever play he's played against, the best ever played. So when someone like Mark Jackson says that, it did so much for me, especially eternally, and I'll never forget another time when this one knew I had another chance to be special or do some cool things. Was Donnie Walsh for the Knicks. I worked out for the Knicks, and I had a good workout. I was like twenty two or twenty five in spot shooting, and then Donnie comes up to me and he's like, Clay, you remind me so much of Reggie Miller. And when he said that, I was like, man, that's really cool because I watched so much of Reggie's film as him just coming off flopy action pinned downs, his game winning highlight reel shots. So those two instances as far as just give me confidence from Mark to Donnie Walsh, I knew if I kept working that despite what the naysayers say, I would be able to do some really cool things in this league.
Speaker 6: What do you think about like and no one speaking of that, think the confidence that Mark Jackson, coach Mark Jackson instilled in you. And I always speak about that, like I think back to those days and like, if there was one thing that he did, is he, like Mark would put confidence on the plate and just hand it to you like he That's what he did, Like he could give you confidence, like I think that was one in strong suits. And then you look he was a point guard. It's in a sense of what point guards do. They make you feel good, They get you the ball in your spots and all those things. And Mark had that ability as good as anyone I've ever seen. I think he was absolutely special in that department. And saying that, when you look at all of these teams around NBA young teams in particular, like we were when Mark instilled that confidence.
Speaker 2: Coach Jackson, I call him, but we're speaking on.
Speaker 6: Here, and Mark instill in the confidence that he did, and you look at all of these young teams around the NBA who can't get a win, suck year in and year out, and knowing and understanding the confidence that he gave us at that point when the Warriors is coming off winning twenty three games in the season, what do you make of none of those teams hiring them knowing what he did for us at that point in our careers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's strange.
Speaker 1: It just doesn't add up because without Mark, there's no foundation for what was to come, especially defensively. I mean, we had the top rated defense in consecutive years with Mark, and then for him to you know, let Steph and I shoot the shots we would shoot. That was kind of taboo back then. But now I'm watching all levels of basketball and you're seeing dribble packages, step backs, transition threes, You're seeing crazy pulls from all levels, which is great. It's the evolution of the game. But if it wasn't for Mark, this would never have happened. So it does. It does not make very much sense how he has not had another shot to lead a franchise, But I hope he really does because he man, he was great and those were really special memories for not only me, but when you were young, and Steph and all the guys we play with can't freaking hb fest.
Speaker 4: We were a young team.
Speaker 1: And without that kind of false bravado that Mark provided, we would never believe we could beat Tim Duncan led Spurs or go to Denver and win a playoff series being twenty three years old. Twenty two, Yeah, some young twenty year olds. So I'm I don't know why that hasn't happened. But Mark was great, and I really think he should get another shot because he was such a joy to play for, and he was such an incredible motivator and I just love picking his brain about the times he faced Michael or what was like running the pick and roll Patrick Ewing and I grew up playing NBA jam and watching so much Soop, so it was really cool just to you know, learn from him.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: I second that I always talk about just the confidence that he instilled in us, especially in you two guys like you said at the shots that they'd allow y'all to take, like it started the transition in basketball of what we see today, no question.
Speaker 2: And then take you far back again.
Speaker 6: I remember Steve first coming in and Steve is implementing his offense, and we're going through training camp and he's like Clayton, swing the ball, Steph, swing the ball, move.
Speaker 2: The ball, and like every time we come down the court, he's just like moving, move and move it. And I remember asking.
Speaker 6: Him, Yo, Stephan clay like they get the shots here, how are they going to get these shots and him saying, the ball will find who the ball.
Speaker 2: Is supposed to find. But we're going to move the ball.
Speaker 6: We're going to be a ball moving team with Steve coming in to implement his office, and it's just ball movement, ball movement, And originally we don't quite understand which is out the like oh man, Like I remember the grunts and like everybody's like, yo, this is trash. Like he just keep telling us to pass the ball, Like I mean, like I remember that that happens Steve's implemented his new At that time, what are you thinking, Are you at all worried that you won't have the same freedom, that you won't get the same shots At that time, what are you thinking with coach kirkr coming in and none of us could even see like remotely close to the vision that he had our offense.
Speaker 1: Well, I didn't know Steve Kurt the Blazer because I was a Blazer fan, so you know, knockdown shooter, I think, all time leader in three point field goal percentage. So being a young gunner, I knew he was going to utilize my skill and appreciate my skill of being a perimeter player. And I'll never forget Steve first week of training camp. One of his biggest emphasis was last year we were the last team in passes may per game, and then that year in twenty fifteen, we were with a team with the most passes may per game, and I think that just unlocked a whole new dimension of basketball I never really seen before as far as the shooting and the athleticism combined. What we had it was special and I think it kind of blitz the NBA by storm just with the small ball and the pace and the space. It was an incredible time to be a Warrior. So I do give Steve a ton of credit.
Speaker 4: He didn't He would.
Speaker 1: Always give coach Jackson credit, especially for laying the foundation. But he just did a few tweaks and a little couple modifications to the offensive system that just did wonders from my game and obviously Steph, but it did so much for me as far as just being an off ball cutter and a mover and a floor spacer that I've kind of still played in that same role now and it's kind of just it's been good to me.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, No, I think, uh, you know what, Like I said, what it did was it Not only did it was at the beginning of a dynasty that we we we've all taken part in creating and building, but it was the beginning of the way basketball is played. Yeah, and that to me, like I always look back on that and like I always say, like I had the opportunity to play with in my mind, the greatest team ever as symbol. And one of the reasons I feel that way is, yes, we were dominant, Yes we won championships, all that way, all that was great, but it changed the way the game was played in around the world.
Speaker 1: You gotta you gotta give yourself credit to Dre. I mean there's not Steve came in, you know, to allow you to bring the ball off the rim, have me and Steph flyoff picks. The traditional power forward was I just remember that year, like the typical power forward is not able to stay in front of you, and they're not used to like you gotta pick this guy up at half court, and then we got to guard the ball screen the dho it's just so dynamic, and then you hit the lob threat, there's the backside shooter and just kind of so without you, the whole thing would never have worked, and it kind of just unlocked a whole new way to a positionally style of basketball, which is I think the most fun to be a part of.
Speaker 6: We've all had a frustrating experience buying tickets, even me. You all know I love to go to concert shows and it can be hard to find last minute tickets. You shouldn't have to worry when you buy tickets to your next big event. Game Time is the fast and easy way to buy tickets to all the sports, music.
Speaker 2: Comedy, and theater shows near you.
Speaker 6: I'm looking through the game Time app right now and it's really easy to find tickets at different price points. The NBA season is winding down and we have some huge Dubs games we're going to need your support at. We always talk about strength and numbers, and we need y'all to be loud at these games.
Speaker 2: Coming down the.
Speaker 6: Stretch game Time is the only ticket and app that gives you complete peace of mind with your purchase. They have all in pricing so you know exactly how much you're going to pay, Plus the game time guarantee means you'll always get the best price. Take the guesswork out of buying tickets with game Time. Download the Game Time app. Creat an account and use the code word green for twenty dollars off your first purchase.
Speaker 2: Terms apply.
Speaker 6: Create an account and use the code word green. G R E E N for twenty dollars off. Download Game Time Today, Last minute tickets, lowest price guaranteed, no one dred percent. I appreciate that, you know. For me, I always say, like, man, the match couldn't have been better made in Heaven with my with my skill set and what I excel at, what I love to do on the basketball court.
Speaker 2: I don't care to shoot the basketball like I will shoot.
Speaker 6: I'll take the shot if it's there, But like my whole life, I've never really cared to shoot.
Speaker 2: And I've spent many years of my life as a scorer.
Speaker 6: I have the ability, but it never like I never got off on shooting the basketball. I always felt better getting an assist, and we know that you are the total opposite that you must try to get the.
Speaker 2: Buckets, but I'll pass.
Speaker 6: But I always said, like the pieces couldn't have fit better together, and your skill set my clays, I mean Stephs skill set and my skill set, but not only the skill sets are meters could have never fit better together. Like I am more outspoken, I'm more in your face. You're more like, this is what I'm doing. Follow me here. If I get pissed off, I'm gonna let you guys know, because ultimately I want to win. Steph is more lead by example. I'll speak up, and you know, as it's he's grown, both of you guys speak up more and more. But I'm not gonna be in your face about it. And and what it did is you know, Bob always will say, man, it's incredible that you guys still sit together like But I think one of the biggest components to that is because we were so different than those aspects. It created a larger appreciation for each other, a space where or we never bump ass because I'm not in your lane, You're not in steph lane, He's not in my lane. So there's never like any situation where there's a bumpheads and like there's never any pressure for you to be me, for me to be Steph, for Steph to act like you, like it's all no. I know who you is, you know who Steph is, he know who I am, and vice versa, and with that there's an appreciation for that, and that to me is what I feel like has been more.
Speaker 2: Special of this whole Agree.
Speaker 4: I agree. You look at teams where it's like so much time together it's just ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Like y'all, y'all too.
Speaker 6: In particular, I've seen you too, more than anybody I've seen in my life in the past twelve years. Yeah, you know, with the time that we've spend together, the success that we've at and it's been an absolutely incredible journey. I'm going to ask you a question that it's not on it's not on any of this, but i want to ask you this question, and I want to ask it because I'm afraid of the answer, and I've never asked the question. There'd be two people I've asked the question too, in particular, and it'd be you and step not really anyone else. But I'm very afraid of the answer. But be brutally honest with you. When I get ejected or something of that nature or suspended, what do you feel, how do you feel?
Speaker 2: What like? What are your thoughts?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: When dre well, please.
Speaker 2: Be brutally honest with me. It's going to crush me, but I need to hear it.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's it happens. I mean, you know, Andre, you're kind of a kind of a throwback player. Not a lot of you know, not a lot of guys. I mean, the the NBA is very different than it was, say, twenty years ago, thirty forty years ago, where back then it felt like a nightly thing, where it was just so physical. Now in the twenty twenties, times have changed. We see each other so much. The basketball world is small, from the grassroots level through college all the way to pro kind of know everybody, and I know, I always know your intentions are good. You're one of the greatest winners in the history of basketball at every level, So that trumps any statistical output you could ever have, whatever, triple double, whatever record. The one that means the most of me is that winning percentage playoffs regular season, one of the greatest winning percentages of NBA history. So when you're not out there, it's like a piece of us is gone. And me and Steph are really nice guys, like probably too nice, you know, and we could never be ourselves and have the freedom that we do on the court without you. So when you're not out there, it's kind of like a huge kinking on armor. And I know the other team is very happy you're not out there. I just know that for a fact. They're like, they can they relax a little bit, they let their hair down, they they feel a little bit more like they pump their chest up a little more because you know, our muscle's gone on. Enforcer, the guy, the heartbeat of our team is not out there, and so it does hurt. But at the end of the day, we've been through so many battles, reached the mountaintop, been down the mountain, had to climb back up, got there again, and now we have another real shot at this and it's been like a couple of tough years, but still we're still fighting.
Speaker 4: We're still we're still in the mix. So it does hurt.
Speaker 1: It could be disappointing in the moment, but it will never take away from what's ahead of us and what we've done.
Speaker 4: So at the end of the day, we just need you.
Speaker 1: And that that that like disappointment and that feeling of just like shaking your head, that just comes from dang, man, we can't do this without you. So we uh, we love you and we need you so badly, and these young guys need you too, because Steph and I are we're leaders, but we don't talk the game like you do.
Speaker 4: We don't inspire these young guys like you do.
Speaker 1: And even when Kenny calls on you in film and there's there's gonna be a void there always if you're not out there, and we're not the Warriors without Money Green.
Speaker 4: That's just a fact that you can ask.
Speaker 1: Anybody in the Bay around the world who's followed this team. We would not be the does without you. So that's where that like like dang not again, that's where that comes from. And just like, man, it's just hard to start to do it without you.
Speaker 2: Bro. I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: Man. Oh that took a lot from me. Yeah, but I appreciate that. And you know, I think for me, like you know, you go through these moments, you know, like.
Speaker 1: And I don't think this would be that big a deal, say like four or five years ago. But there's just such a magnifying glass in our team nowadays. I mean, I think we're the highest value basketball team in the world. So with that comes credible media coverage, sensational.
Speaker 4: At times, and.
Speaker 1: When you're a Hall of Fame player like yourself, people are gonna love to tear you down.
Speaker 4: You know, that's gonna.
Speaker 1: I've seen that in every generation of basketball, whether it be Dennis Robmin, my favorite player, Rashid Wallace, you, the media and fans, the pundits, they just love to point the finger, especially when you're at your weakest. So can't we just can't let that to tear us from what we got to do, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Rather than that, That's where I'm at with it obviously. Like I said, I.
Speaker 6: I think for me personally, when these things happen, like the thing that I think about the most is you and Steph. It's like, fuck, I can't help those guys, Like I can't be out there with them, like that's all I care to do, you know.
Speaker 2: It's like be out there with you guys.
Speaker 6: Set screens, defend, find you guys like with great passes to get you all shots, but more importantly just be out there with my brothers, like competing with the guys that I've competed with my entire NBING career for the last twelve years, one championships with And I'm a work in progress and work continuing to working to better myself. But I appreciate you and stuff, you know, for always sticking with me, being right by my side no matter what. That brotherhood I don't take for granted at all. And speaking of which myself, you have a free agency coming up this summer, and you know, and speaking of plan with you know you for the last twelve years, with Steff for the last twelve years and what we've built here. Things change, you know, the NBA changes, cap situations changed, this thing changed, that thing change. As you go into free agency this summer, what's a priority to you as you look at you know, the next three, four or five whatever you decide you want to play, as you look at kind of the last segment of your career, if you will, what's important to you as you embark up on that.
Speaker 1: I just can't believe it's here. Like when you're in your mid twenties, it's so crazy. You think you're going to play forever, really, and you think you just maintain that athletic level that seems effortless, But then as time goes on, you really do realize how demanding this job really is, and it's so physically demanding. And I was actually struggling with that a lot at the beginning of this year because of the unknown, you know, I mean, I might have led contract situations or playing time or using making up a lot of excuses rather than just.
Speaker 4: Appreciating what is in front of me.
Speaker 1: And it took me and Steve like four real heart to heart talks to finally break my shell, being like, you know what, I gotta have fun this year. I deserve to have fun, Like we worked so hard to freaking win these games and play into June and.
Speaker 4: Have fans on the road. I mean, my first couple of years, there might be a few staff Curry jerseys in the crowd. Now it's like a whole contingent in the Warrior fans on the road. It's insane. So I was kind of grappling with that a lot this year. It's almost like your own own mortality is an athlete like man, I might not be able to elevate like I once did, or I might not slide my feet left and right like I once did. But I can still be a heck of a player if I just give gratitude and keep that perspective, like I'm out here balling, because that was hard for me these last few years, when you're when you go through injuries and you're so used to playing at a certain level, guarding a certain guy, shooting certain shots, and.
Speaker 1: Then you have to adjust all of that. That was the hardest part of my career. And it's still hard for me, you know, when I'm used to scoring twenty five in a quarter, locking.
Speaker 4: Up the best player.
Speaker 1: Now I gotta be pick my spots a lot more, just precisely, which is fine. I've finally come to accept, like, look, I can still be a heck of a player. I can still be incredibly efficient and as long as I'm having fun and being a good tea. And you actually helped me a tone when you're like, lean into these young guys, lean into the fact you're a vet, you made X amount of money, you don't have to worry about nothing, Like you're playing for the love of the game. And I think once I realized that, and I relaxed a little bit, rather than trying to play for a contract or an All Star not or some accolades, but rather just play for the love of the game and the fact they get to play cards with the guys on the plane. We're playing ping pong last night after the game. We're having fun. That's the beauty of the game right there. Not trying to get another Max deal or another endorsement, but just smelling the roses and appreciating all the work took to get here and saying that when it comes to free agency in July, I just got to keep that in mind, like, yes, I want to resign with the Doves, but I also have to prioritize my mental health and you know, lay out what is important to me at this point in my career. And I know we have so much basketball ahead that I haven't given it much thought, really, because if I start thinking about July first, then I'm just doing myself disservice.
Speaker 4: I'm not here.
Speaker 1: I'm not thinking about the Horns tomorrow and these muscling games this weekend. So for me, it's just about staying present, as simple as that is. Stay in present and appreciating being the NBA because my uncle Andy always told me, is like Clay, your careers can go by and snap of fingers. So just appreciate this life you live. It's not a right, it's.
Speaker 4: Really a privilege.
Speaker 1: And you know, Uncle Lenny, he been around the game since the last Dance, so that helped me a lot as well.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, in twenty nineteen, if you don't get hurt, do you approach your free agency, your whole free agency process differently at that point.
Speaker 4: That's a big one. If that's a wow, Yeah, that was.
Speaker 1: That could have been a definite possibility just because you're healthy. But at the same time too, if I don't get hurt, and let's say we do win a we do three pete, it's like you're not walking away from that par You're not going to that hasn't been done since Shaq and Kobe. So I never would have walked away from a chance to stacking rings And uh man, that was a crazy time. That was the worst, man, You freaking you know how long it is to play the old the finals. It's such a long grind and then like tear a ligament and then you got to go right back to the gym. There was no vacation, So that was a I was very grateful for my family during that time because I was just kind of lost without basketball and you know, being on crutches and just having to build all that muscle back in my quad and the atrophy.
Speaker 4: That was not fun. Especially after that five year Finals run.
Speaker 1: We had a lot of It's a lot of just mental and physical wear and tear. And I don't think, when I really think about it, if I was healthy and I don't think I would have really tested it that hard, just because like it's hard to walk away from a dynasty that's.
Speaker 4: Doesn't happen too often.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 6: Twenty nineteen, twenty twenty, right after this, you see Captain Clay's born.
Speaker 2: Yes he is.
Speaker 6: You're you're kind of away from the team doing your rehab, and then all of a sudden you come back around and you're like, yo, y'all got.
Speaker 2: To come on the boat.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And we're like what, You're like, yeah, y'all got to come on the boat. Like I got the boat up here, I got a boat. When you got the boat, was that always in your plans to get a boat or was that kind of like I'm hurt, I need something else to do to kind of take my mind, like, what was the process.
Speaker 2: Of that for you?
Speaker 1: Oh, there was always a plan to get a boat, and believe it or not, there's a San Francisco Chronicle article from twenty fourteen or fifteen. Well, I'm quoted saying my dream one day is to own a fishing boat. And it just so happened. I had some free time, I got healthy enough where I was mobile again in twenty nineteen and I pulled the trigger.
Speaker 4: I got a big, old sport fishing, closed cabin boat.
Speaker 1: And everyone was all my family and my friends were like, you don't need a boat, you don't know how to drive a boat. But I was like, I'm going to take the courses. I'm going to take all the steps. I'm not going to make any shortcuts because I love the ocean. I love having that freedom, the freedom to go, you know, to Catalina or to freaking Sam's Anchor Cafe and Tibron. There's just a whole new world out there when you get on the water. So I was doubted, but it happened, and I'm so grateful because I've seen a whole new side.
Speaker 2: Of the bay.
Speaker 1: Being able to get on the water and get out to stints In or go up to Delta.
Speaker 4: There's just so many cool waterways.
Speaker 1: And now it's a lifelong skill I have as well. So it was always a dream of mine ever since I was a kid on a boat and become a skilled fisherman. That part, I'm not there yet, but I got the captain skills down.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 6: My first time on the boat, I told y'all my first time on the boat, I can suspend it for coming in grabbing dude because he was grabbing clay And ironically I.
Speaker 2: Couldn't get to the bay the next day.
Speaker 6: Two days later, I was trying to get across San Francisco Chase Center.
Speaker 2: The bay bridge was shut down.
Speaker 6: Captain clay E Howesing and CD came across the water to Jack London. It was a beautiful day. It's a beautiful day pulling up to Chase by the way to.
Speaker 2: Go to work like that.
Speaker 1: It's nice, isn't it. It's fire, It's nice. It's the best. Besides like getting shots up and winning basketball games, the best part of my day is really just like getting the coffee, going to Harbor and making my way down south to Chase Center. It's so beautiful, man. Yeah, it's the best.
Speaker 6: It's absolutely amazing. A couple more questions before we get out of here. And you spoke about Jermaine O'Neill and teaching you about the business of basketball, and I've learned a tone through the business of basketball. Jermaine o'nill was represented by Washerman. Uh throughout his career. You are represented. You are Washerman athlete as well.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 6: I've had three agents. My third agent is Ris Paul Clutch Sports. UH. In my career, learning different things along the way and feeling the need for something different.
Speaker 2: You've had two agents in your career.
Speaker 6: What was the turning point for you when you decided I'm gonna go in a different direction, Like what knowledge did you gain up until that point to where you felt confident enough to say, I think I want something different at this point in my career and representation, What was some of the things that you picked up at that time to make you make a decision like that?
Speaker 2: Because I feel like representation today you get so.
Speaker 6: Many kids like I'm like my mom going to represent me, my dad going to represent here, this person. It's like, Yo, there's a whole business out here that they don't have a clue what it means, and it kind of goes by the wayside. What was that for you at that time to make you make the decision? Who's you know now, your current agent Grady that you've been with since two thousand and what eighteen somebody?
Speaker 4: Yeah, seventeen, maybe sixteen around there. Wow, it's a good question.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I give credit to Bill Duffy as well. Bill was an incredible agent. He's been a super agent. He's been around the NBA forever.
Speaker 6: I mean.
Speaker 1: Bill was a freshman when my dad was a senior at the University of Minnesota, So that was easy for me. My dad been around the game so long. He's like, no, no, no, we're gonna go with Bill. So I was like, okay, that's cool. Love Bill, and we did great things together. He's based out of Walnut Creek and he's still a really close friend. I know, he's Beatp's agent, so I still get to see him and chopping up with him. But uh, I think there came a time, you know, my sixth year where I was like, you know, we've done we've done greatness. We've done great things together. But maybe uh, I can explore some new avenues, like and just trying, you know, grow my brand, I guess. And uh I met with Greg and I mean we just kind of had someimilar thoughts of what the KT line could become or my interests what I could grow those into that, whether that be business or philanthropy. And that's the hardest part of this business is having to have those difficult conversations.
Speaker 4: And it hurt, like separating with BDA. But at the end of the day, like I was just thinking, like.
Speaker 1: I kind of want some more control over just.
Speaker 4: Just just a company just for me in a sense, I guess.
Speaker 1: But it's still awkward to even talk about because I feel bad in a sense like dang, it was never personal, Like I never really meant knew what that meant as a teenager or college kid when someone's like, it's not personal, it's business because you know, emotions are evolved, But that's really what it was. And you know, I love Build of Death. I mean that guys like my dad's one of his best friends. They played college ball together and it was just a tough switch up really and.
Speaker 4: Had great success since had some back then.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 4: I don't I'm not the most hands on person.
Speaker 1: So it helps when have so many in my corner who like will vet a lot of deals or bring to the table what they think is worthy of my time. And it takes a lot to get to that point. I wasn't really worried about the other ventures until we started winning and people started noticing us, when we got some national notoriety, and then like, Okay, I can kind of manage.
Speaker 4: My time a little better.
Speaker 1: I've been in the league five six years now, I know what I want my future to look like.
Speaker 4: And that was that.
Speaker 1: It was still it was hard, and it was a good lesson for what was to come. If I do want to keep continuing to do investing in business after basketball, you're going to always have to have those difficult conversations. And that was the first one in my career that was really like dang, that was hard to do and it didn't feel good, but kind of had to be done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I respect that the conversations is tough. Yeah, man, those.
Speaker 4: Conversations do so much together. It's just hard.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Like I said, a couple more we get out of here.
Speaker 6: You and Steph's admiration for each other's jump shots.
Speaker 2: I think it's such an honorable thing. Steph is worldly known as the greatest shoot ever.
Speaker 6: And I personally think and I think Steph feels the same way. I know Steph feels the same way because I watch him speak on your jump shot, and like the way when he speaks about your jump shot, the appreciation that he has for your jump shot and for you, like it just like oozes through his answers, like like you just like you can feel how much he admires your jump shot. And so I don't even want to ask this question as far as in the sense of today, because the reality is we're old and like we kind of got our routines now, and you know, we don't have a million shooting competitions anymore like we used to have.
Speaker 2: Like we used to have shooting competitions.
Speaker 6: I used to beat you guys all the time, you know, and that just don't happen to him, Like we don't do that anymore. But like just going back to the days and when we used to put play put it on the board, you know, and and like all these different games, and you guys used to go back and forth. You win, he win, you win, he win, you win, you win, you win. He went he went like and that was it, and like then you got hurt. That probably took a part in everybody putting their routines together. Now everything is so calculated on how much you're doing and all these different things.
Speaker 2: That has changed.
Speaker 6: But like, talk to me about Yes, his admirations, his admiration, but your admiration for his jump shot. Like you, jump shots are completely different. Yours is tighter and more compact and probably more textbook than anybody in the world I've ever seen. And yet you know, Steph's is more motion in it, but shoots a million different types of ways. Just talk to me about his jump shot and what is it that you see as one of the greatest shooters ever? If they say Steph is one, god damnage you too, what is it that you see and his jump shot that just makes it so special?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: I think it's like the force he generates. So I'm like, STEP's like maybe a buck ninety two hundred max. And how I'm just like, how you able to shoot from thirty five feet so accurately and easily. I think it comes from the legs, but he's incredibly strong, And then how quickly he loads his jumper from whether it be from the dribble, off the catch, it's insane. I mean, that's what I admire, just his ability to shoot from all different angles and feet positions, Like as long as STEP's shoulders are square to the basket, it's got a chance of going in. And uh, that's where I'm really impressed with him, is like you can't plan from the drive, obviously, but.
Speaker 4: Just how quickly he gets it off.
Speaker 1: One thing I do have on Steph, though, this is probably one of the best moments in my life, is when we were at the White House in twenty fifteen and mister Obama, mister President Obama said my jump shot was a little prettier than Steph.
Speaker 4: So that was the one win I have over him.
Speaker 1: I was like, yes, here that Steph, mister president likes my jumper more. So that was the one time where I felt like I had a good win against Steph. I was like, nice, you might have a higher three point percentage of more makes but you know number forty four likes mind a little bit more.
Speaker 2: By the way, I.
Speaker 6: Know that still stinks him. When when where President Obama said that I'm gonna tell you something else, I think still stinks how bad.
Speaker 2: Do you think Steph wants to beat you at fourteen tah?
Speaker 1: Uh, probably badly. I mean, Steve Wan is such a good sport. You know, I could have ran that thing up with like sixteen seventeen threes, but maybe eighteen. You know, I could have even twenty shooting. Making twenty threes in a game be insanez but uh yeah, I know he wants to beat it bad, but he's number two, So him and Zach.
Speaker 4: A number two, they can stay there.
Speaker 1: Hopefully that record will be broken. No records are meant to be broken. So I'm enjoyable. I got it, but it's gonna be broken one day. But I just hope they've put asterisk next to mine, like did it in three twenty seven minutes?
Speaker 6: Who breaks it? If you can say right now who breaks that record? Who breaks it? Or do we not even see that person?
Speaker 1: Man, that's a great question. I mean, who shoots a high enough volume of threes? Shot twenty four threes that game? That's insane?
Speaker 2: Yead?
Speaker 1: I mean, could be Staph could be uh, I mean Dame Lillard's had multiple games, you have twelve three point game in the playoffs, could be Dame. I mean can't sleep on Zach. He has thirteen freaking Booker. That guy's going for sixty a few times this year. Devin could do it. Uh, that's probably shortlist. Maybe Kyrie not. That's a lot of threes, man, I don't know. Murray was close. Keegan Murray was close. I remember watching that game. He was very close. He's like twelve or fourteen maybe or something. So I think it's gonna happen. I just op it stands for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, last one, number one. I appreciate you.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no problem.
Speaker 6: This is exciting for me just getting here to sit here and chop it on with you. But like I said, the beginning more importantly for the world, did you see you talk? You know, these they don't get the opportunity, and I always appreciate that opportunity.
Speaker 2: So I wanted them to hear that.
Speaker 6: But before we get out of our last guest on the show was Drew Holliday. Obviously, Drew comes from a family that has multiple NBA players in it, and you come from a family your dad, yourself. Mikey t multiple NBA players in it, obviously saying everyone's in their prime.
Speaker 2: Drews say, there's no chance any NBA family.
Speaker 7: Who winning these games? Who winning these games? Y'all taking them easy?
Speaker 4: Oh, it ain't easy because they the NBA players.
Speaker 1: But come on now, we've got dogs over here.
Speaker 6: My dad and everyone's in there pro Wow.
Speaker 2: What does the Thompson's have to say about that?
Speaker 1: Don't sleep on Trace either. Tracer is a really good player. Trace got recruited play D one in high school. We want to stay titled together, but he decided to go to the MLB route. It's worked out great for him. Traces would be a great sub man. Me and my dad will be a nice two man game, you know. Yeah, he was twenty and ten. Guy was a bucket on the block, great defender, quick for a big man. Then Mikey, you know, Mike and his prime great athlete, had a couple of coffee in the league, played overseas national team for the Bahamas, and we got to play the Holiday brothers. They are definitely more They're quicker than us between Aaron, Drew and Justin.
Speaker 4: But I think with my.
Speaker 1: Dad on the block, I think we could beat him up a little bit on the block.
Speaker 4: And he's got me and Mikey kicking out for threes. That'd be a good one. The Lopez twins would be tough too.
Speaker 1: The Griffin brothers, a lot of the Right brothers, a lot of great NBA brothers.
Speaker 4: The kurt are too little, just got too little. Oh yeah, they got Dell too. I forgot. I got a lot of shooting.
Speaker 1: Huh hmm, the Nance Larry and his father. Yeah, I'm taking the Thompsons just just for family's pride sake. I'm sorry Holiday family and all the other NBA families.
Speaker 4: I'm taking the Thompsons. We have the most versatility.
Speaker 2: I think I respect that. Yeah, probably the most rings too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, between I think so six between my dad and I.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Pretty much, Mike, he got one in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Did Yeah, you got a league cruise, the only time the NBA team and the G League team won a title in the same year.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's rings in there.
Speaker 2: The hardware, man, my brother.
Speaker 6: I appreciate you coming on the show, man, It's been a long time coming. I can't thank you enough, and not just for coming on this show, but what you've meant in my life for my career. You know, I never imagine uh becoming who I've become in this league, and I do not take for granted at all. Like you know, I oftentimes get like, if you ain't playing with Stephan Clay, like you wouldn't be shit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I'm like, well, you can't rewrite the history books.
Speaker 1: People like, what are we doing? Okay, great? I know the Chief and Kevin Kale you know.
Speaker 2: So I'm always like, okay, cool.
Speaker 6: But the reality is is regardless of how much someone can say that, someone will say that, I would agree with them every time.
Speaker 2: I don't care.
Speaker 6: Uh, it does not make me feel a way at all because I'm so thankful because the reality is regardless of what people have to say about me. And if I didn't play with y'all, we had to work to make this shit happen. It just wasn't like, oh, I'm this player and you're that player and stuff this player great.
Speaker 2: It worked like now.
Speaker 6: We had to work and go through the wringer to actually make it happen. And I'm forever grateful for you two guys and the journey that we've been on for the last twelve years. And I hope nothing more than for us to finish this whole thing altogether and be sitting there when you get your statue at Chase, when Steph get his statue at Chase, and when they come sit the Bible ahead of me, right next to y'all. I look forward to those days, man, because right next to y'all just super bow it to the ground so nobody can take my biblehead away and it will be just fine with my brother.
Speaker 2: I can't thank you enough, man.
Speaker 1: Appreciate that yes reminisce sometimes Yes, sir.
Speaker 6: That's a rap from this episode of The Draymond Green Show.
Speaker 2: From the Champs Peace